SACW | 19 Dec 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Dec 18 20:17:20 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire  | 19 Dec.,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Bangladesh: The post-71 generation (Zafar Sobhan)
[2] India-Pakistan:   Honour the past...secure the future - Siachen
[3] India: Combating Communal Violence (Ajay K. Mehra)
+  Anti-communal law: delay due to lack of clarity, confusion  (Vinay Kumar)
[4] India: 'Conscience', Ideologies and Political Compulsions (Ram Puniyani)
[5] India: Press Release - First General Assembly of mines, minerals & People
[6] India - Announcements :
(i) Stree Samman Divas' [Day for Women's Dignity] (New Delhi, 22 December 2004)
(ii) Ecology & the Future Society Workshop (Nagpur, 15-16 January 2005)
(ii) 'Durable Disorder - Understanding the
Politics of Northeast India' by Sanjib Baruah

--------------

[1]

The Daily Star
December 17, 2004

THE POST-71 GENERATION
Zafar Sobhan
December 16 always brings to my mind the
experiences and perspectives of the 71 generation
who were shaped by the liberation war. I define
the 71 generation as those who were old enough to
experience the turmoil of the 1960s and the
1970s, and especially 1971 and 1975 and their
aftermath, first-hand. For better or for worse,
it has been this generation that has guided the
affairs of the country since liberation.

I have noticed that many of the pieces that
writers of this generation produce every December
16 have a similar tone to them. The pieces are
almost all ritualistic disquisitions on where we
have come to as a nation since 1971, and there is
an almost uniform sense of disappointment running
through them.

The authors begin with an inspiring depiction of
the heroics and sacrifices and glories of the
liberation war and how they had such high hopes
for the future of the country, but this quickly
gives way to the disillusionment of the present,
as they look around and realise that their hopes
and dreams remain unfulfilled, and that the
country has fallen far short of the promise of
that day when everything seemed possible.

Reading these pieces every year, I am reminded
that for those of the 71 generation, the last
thirty-three years have been difficult ones, and
that they do feel a profound sadness for their
unfulfilled hopes and dreams, and that this is
why they cannot help but look back on December 16
with sorrow as well as pride.

The differences between the 71 generation and the
post-71 generation are never more apparent to me
then when I read those pieces. I am reminded of
the concluding lines to King Lear:

The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne most: we that are young
Shall never see so much, nor live so long.

I have noticed that writing from the perspective
of what I would call the post-71 generation, my
outlook and understanding differs a little from
that of those who experienced first-hand the
blood-soaked birth of Bangladesh and its
tumultuous aftermath, and this makes me wonder
about further implications of the differences
between the generations.

I think for the 71 generation, December 16 has
become a time to look back at the troubled
history of our country and count our losses and
missed opportunities.

This is, of course, understandable. The
Bangladesh we live in today is not the Bangladesh
anyone hoped for.

I can still remember glancing through a letter
that my father's close friend Prof. Mosharraf
Hossain gave me to take to my father when he was
recovering from heart surgery some years ago and
being struck by the poignancy of his words.

Even today, sometimes his words come back to me
as I think of the 71 generation and all that they
have seen and experienced: "Remember how we used
to dream of raising a brave new world in this
hapless land of ours?"

Even those who have done well personally in the
years since independence--and there is no
shortage of success stories--must be saddened by
the state of the country as a whole.

So, I do understand the mixed emotions that the
71 generation feels on this day.

But I think that it is a little different for the post-71 generation.

I think as a generation we don't have that sense
of crushing disillusionment. Things might not be
all that we would want them to be, but frankly I
can't really remember a time when things were all
that much better than they are now -- and I can
certainly remember times when things were worse.

Don't get me wrong.

There is much to bemoan about the state of the
nation and those who read my column will know
that bemoan them I regularly do.

In many ways, things are looking as grim for us
today as they have been for a long time. The
democratic consensus seems to be breaking down
and we have reached a new low in terms of
corruption and politicisation.

This year we have had floods and terrorist
attacks and mass imprisonments and rigged polls
to contend with, and the politics of the country
appears to be heading in the direction of
confrontation as we enter the new year.

But to my mind there is one reason to be hopeful
-- and that is that a generational shift is
slowly taking place from the 71 generation to the
post-71 generation in the corridors of power and
at the commanding heights of the economy.

It's the most ironic of paradoxes. The very
generation that brought us our greatest moment
and that we will always look to with pride is the
same generation that has been unable to vanquish
its own demons and establish a stable and
sustainable polity in post-independence
Bangladesh.

The sixties and seventies -- which were the
crucible in which their identities were forged --
were rough and brutal times in this country.

As bad as things might be now, and for all the
stories we have been told on long winter nights,
the post-71 generation really can't begin to
comprehend how things were in those blood-soaked
and terror-filled days.

The differences we see today among the warring
factions in the nation stem from those days --
and that's why they are so intractable. That's
why among the 71 generation there can be no
compromise. There can never be forgiveness and
reconciliation. There has been too much blood
shed and too much hardship suffered.

The story of the 71 generation is a story of broken dreams and betrayals.

The post-71 generation lives in more prosaic
times. We are more pragmatic and less emotional.
More realistic and less ideological.

Our feuds are not blood feuds, and our history is
not one of ancient enmity and bitterness.

Our differences are not matters of life and
death. We are not committed to forever
re-fighting the same old battles over and over
again.

No doubt this is something of an
over-simplification. I have not gone into the
fundamental reasons for the differences that
split the Bangladeshi polity and the rights and
the wrongs of the matter. That is a subject for
another day.

I am merely pointing out that, due to the long
bloody history behind the animosities between the
warring factions, the 71 generation has never
been able to resolve its differences, but that
the post-71 generation might be able to.

To be sure, there is the other side of the coin
when it comes to the post-71 generation.

Not having experienced the struggle for
independence first-hand, we do not have that same
sense of ownership and patriotism with respect to
the country that the 71 generation does.

The flip-side of our pragmatism and realism is
that idealism and a sense of social
responsibility are in short supply. As a
generation we are irredeemably materialistic and
self-seeking. This is the tenor of the times in
which we live -- and it is not a change for the
better.

Many would look at the new generation of
politicians and the growing nexus between crime
and affairs of state, and scoff at the notion
that redemption can possibly lie in the hands of
a generation such as this.
Many would argue that, unmoored from the crucial
formative experience of the liberation struggle
that inspired a generation to devote their lives
to building up the nation, the country will head
into even greater turmoil in the years ahead, and
that the passing of the torch from the hands of
the 71 generation signals the beginning of the
end.

They might not be wrong either. It would be
another over-simplification to suggest that power
passing to the post-71 generation will
necessarily usher in an era of civility and
cooperation. But what I am suggesting is that
with the historical differences less prominent
and the historical inequities less raw a
compromise will at least be thinkable.

I retain the hope that the enduring legacy of the
generational shift that is taking place in
Bangladesh is that the ghosts of 1971 and its
aftermath can finally be laid to rest, and that
we can as a nation finally move out of the
twilight and into the bright sunshine of a new
day.

Zafar Sobhan is an Assistant Editor of The Daily Star.