SACW #1 | 20 Dec 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Dec 19 22:44:02 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire  Dispatch #1  | 20 Dec.,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan-India:  Courting insecurity through arms (Praful Bidwai)
[2] Pakistan-India:  All part of the safari jeep (Jawed Naqvi)
[3] Pakistan-India: Partition has failed to solve communal bias (Kuldip Nayar)
[4] India: R. Champakalakshmi talks to historian Romila Thapar
[5] India: Update on the 'Employment Guarantee Bill'
[6] India - Upcoming events :
(i) Lecture by Prof. Theodore Wright on "U.S. Intervention in South
Asia and the Middle East" (New Delhi, 21 Dec 2004)
(ii) Second Promise of India Conference 'Making Peace with Diversity
and Development'  (Bombay, 10 Jan, 2004)

--------------

[1]

The News International,
December 16, 2004

COURTING INSECURITY THROUGH ARMS

Praful Bidwai

Although it would be premature to pronounce a negative judgment on it
yet, the India-Pakistan dialogue is running into a number of
roadblocks and probably a phase of stagnation. The two governments
have made little progress on the worthy 14 month-old proposal to
launch a bus service between the two capitals of divided Kashmir.
They also remain stuck in a conservative groove while discussing
nuclear and conventional military confidence-building measures
(CBMs), which will reduce the threat of a conflict in this volatile,
now-nuclearised, region. While the hitch on the first issue concerns
the nature of the documents to be carried, the talks on the second
are marred by a lack of will to take the bold steps that are
necessary in the South Asian context.

Beyond a point, it is immaterial if the blame for this stagnation
lies with Pakistan or India. Each has its own special concerns,
compulsions, preoccupations and anxieties. At the end of a year,
after they agreed to re-start their first serious dialogue since the
nuclear tests of 1998, what matters is whether they have addressed
these or failed to do so. Unless the dialogue leads to results, India
and Pakistan will fail in the eyes of the world.

Even worse, each of the two has launched a huge arms-buying spree.
India is acquiring sophisticated air defence systems, new submarines
from France and Russia (including a nuclear-powered submarine), the
Patriot range of US anti-missile missiles, as well as new warplanes
and an air-defence ship. It is now among the world's three largest
arms importers. Pakistan is buying more P-3C Orion maritime
surveillance-cum-submarine-hunter aircraft, Phalanx rapid-fire guns,
and TOW missiles, etc.-worth a $1.2 billion from the US alone.

Washington is encouraging both to acquire new, ever-deadlier weapons.
Indeed, selling such weaponry to them was the principal function of
US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld's recent India-Pakistan
visit. This has created rancour and resentment in both our capitals.
Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee protests against the US argument
that the weapon sales to Pakistan are meant "to contain terrorist
groups like Al-Qaeda and Taliban ... Nobody uses F-16 fighter planes
and other weapons meant for big wars to fight terrorists". He even
warns that the sales could "jeopardise the peace process". Pakistan
retorts that India is "paranoid" about Islamabad's arms acquisition.
This is only meant to "restore symmetry and bring stability to the
region" by filling up "the gap that emerged during the '90s due to US
sanctions..."

Mukherjee is right to say that weapons like the Orion and F-16 or
anti-tank missiles are meant "for big wars and not to fight
terrorism". But that's hardly the point. The new deadly toys are a
reward for Pakistan's invaluable assistance to the US in fighting
al-Qaeda in and around Afghanistan. Similarly, Washington has
rewarded India for its "strategic partnership": first by approving
the sale of the US-Israeli "Green Pine" radar and the associated air
defence system, and then by offering top-of-the-range weapons such as
the Patriot-II missile interceptor, as well as other conventional
materiel.

Two transformations are visible here. During the Cold War,
particularly between the mid-1950s and mid-1960s, and then in the
1980s, the India-Pakistan arms race was fuelled by rival powers:
respectively, the USSR and the US. Today, the same power drives the
race: the US. India and Pakistan both vie for its attention and
favours. In the process, both sustain, and in the long run intensify,
their rivalry.

Second, the US is far from even-handed. In one phase, it tilts
towards Pakistan; in another, towards India. During the Soviet
occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, it offered F-16s to Pakistan
on an exclusive basis, but in the early 1990s, imposed restrictions
under the Pressler Amendment, etc. After 2000, it suddenly warmed up
to India and offered "strategic partnership" plus a role in Ballistic
Missile Defence. Then a few months ago, suddenly, it designated
Pakistan a Major non-Nato Ally. For all its rhetoric about India's
great power "potential" and its democracy, the US does not support
India's candidature for the permanent membership of the UN Security
Council.

Now Washington is dangling different carrots before the two states.
President Bush has again described Pakistan as a "frontline state"
against terrorism and called Pervez Musharraf "a world leader".
Washington is equally effusive when describing India as an "emerging
power, a regional power and a world power with which we want a
growing relationship".

Washington practises double standards based on short-term
considerations. India and Pakistan realise and resent this.
Regrettably, they have both fallen a victim to it. All this would be
relatively unimportant if it did not have strategic consequences. But
the India-Pakistan rivalry is aggravated by Washington's policies and
moves. In particular, these can vitiate the present climate and put a
spoke in the peace process.

It is not just hypocritical, but downright foolhardy, for Washington
both to supply new weapons to India and Pakistan and then expect them
to negotiate an authentic peace. The logic of the first
process-escalation of military preparations, and increased
hostility-is sharply different from the logic of dialogue,
reconciliation and peace.

It is even more unrealistic and foolish of India and Pakistan to
imagine they can continue to arm themselves to the teeth against each
other and thus make themselves insecure, and at the same time, hope
to become secure. The hawks told us this would happen in the 1960s,
1970s and 1980s-through the conventional route. It didn't. The sale
of F-16s to Pakistan probably featured on the front pages of Indian
newspapers on an average of 200 days out of 365 days in the year in
the 1980s as a major bone of contention. But the contention didn't
end when the planes' spares stopped reaching Pakistan. Then, said our
Right wing "experts", nuclear weapons would provide "strategic
balance" and stability. They didn't. India and Pakistan went to war
within a year of their nuclear tests!

India and Pakistan have tried to talk peace without taking their foot
off the nuclear accelerator or even stopping the conventional arms
race. This too suits the hawks' prescription, based on the utmost
cynicism. For instance, Indian ultraconservatives believe that the
US's "coddling" of Pakistan to the point of it becoming, as one of
them puts it, a US "protectorate", is a good thing. It will keep
Pakistan on its "best behaviour"; by contrast, "whenever American
interest flagged... [the] Pakistanis have run riot". Besides, US
military sales to Islamabad will help New Delhi demand "parity"-new,
yet more lethal weapons, in keeping with India's "emerging" position.

This logic is fatally flawed: seeking "balance" through arms sales
will lead to the creation and widening of existing imbalances. These
imbalances in turn furnish an argument for "balance" through yet more
tilting of the sales. A tilt in one direction, followed by a tilt in
the other, violates the interests of fairness - and peace. If you
want peace, you must wage peace, not war. It would be suicidal for
India (and Pakistan) to forget this great lesson of the 20th century.

Dawn

ALL PART OF THE SAFARI JEEP
By Jawed Naqvi

Pakistan Occupied Kashmir and Indian Held Kashmir are ugly phrases
because they smack of official patronage, of government-inspired
positions and not even-handed journalism. Why can't we say
Indian-administered Kashmir and Pakistan-administered Kashmir and
wait for the issue to be resolved before assigning a name it
eventually chooses for itself?
It is strange that we in India and Pakistan have learnt to pour scorn
on embedded American and British journalists who we believe are adept
at endorsing the occupation of Iraq by subtle and, where it works
better, crude methods.
Using the same argument, how can we ignore that most of us in the
subcontinent have been assiduously practising a similar embedded
journalism for half a century or more?
We do this by using a vocabulary that is insidious in intent and
which creates an enemy in our neighbourhood instead of an organically
structured nation peopled by the same kind of ideological jostling
that we find in our own respective national boundaries.
Actually, we in India like to proclaim our love or contempt for
Pakistan and Pakistanis depending on the season of the year. Even the
movies change their story lines according to the season - Border or
Mission Kashmir goes with the season of warmongering and Veer Zara,
etc., reflect our maudlin love for the "other" side in less vitiated
days.
In Pakistan it has been pretty much the same pattern. Like George
Orwell's sheep the media in both countries by and large bleats "Four
legs good, two legs bad" and vice versa, depending on the mood in the
prime minister's office in our capitals as also, in Pakistan's case,
at the General HQ in Rawalpindi.
Those who love or hate Pakistan and Pakistanis care little about the
finer points of the problem. They suffer from the deception of the
tiger in a wildlife sanctuary. If you stay in the open jeep the
lurking tiger is likely to mistake you to be part of the jeep and not
attack you as it would any other easy prey.
Indians and Pakistanis who care to concern themselves with each other
appear to perceive the other side like the deceived tiger. It is
scarcely part of a normal discourse in India, for instance, that
there are at least four types of political Pakistanis that we are
looking at.
The army, the mullahs, the followers of Benazir Bhutto and the
followers of Nawaz Sharif represent the four corners. To an untrained
Indian mind, they are all part of the safari jeep called Pakistan.
That's how a Hindutva rabble-rouser like Narendra Modi could get away
by painting all Pakistanis as children of General Pervez Musharraf!
Which of course is not very different from the description given by
Mr Modi's Hindu fanatics to Indian Muslims - that they are all
children of Mughal emperor Babur who kept Hindu slaves and who built
the Babri Masjid after razing their scared temple in Ayodhya, as the
Hindutva mythmaking has it.
It eventually would take an educated Indian leader like Arif Mohammed
Khan to object to Mr Modi. And he did, proclaim even if somewhat
impishly: "We are Pathans, we had fought the Mughals. Please do not
abuse us."
Last week a large group of Pakistani journalists arrived in India. We
are told the Indian government had sponsored the trip. How this media
trip was going to be any different from the recent ones organized by
some media NGOs is difficult to divine.
Some of these journalists were quoted last week as saying how keen
they were to meet former prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee. General
Musharraf had asked them to meet Mr. Vajpayee, one of them said. They
would also meet Congress leader Sonia Gandhi. But Mr. Vajpayee
appeared to be someone special.
Is there nothing else in India for Pakistanis, more so their
journalists, to be interested in? Have they ever tried to meet the
ordinary people, people in the villages, in small towns, in the
discotheque? How about meeting the Naxalites, the only people, as far
as one can remember, who came out in droves in the streets against
the war hysteria that was whipped up by Mr. Vajpayee and tacitly
endorsed by Ms Gandhi's party through much of 2002?
These orchestrated visits of journalists reminds me of the time when
I was under the impression that I was allowed to travel alone in Iran
during the Khomeini era. I went to to the Davamand mountain resort
north of where the Imam lived in Teheran's Farmaniyeh district.
There I found on the snow-laden slopes of the mountains the most
amazing sight - scores of women bereft of the hijab were skiing
across the picturesque hills. Rock music was blaring from all corners.
And the revellers - men and women - were using their skis to write
large love messages in the snow to each other, some so large that
they could be read from an aeroplane. It was a completely different
world to the one we were tutored to believe in.
Click, click, click went my camera. I hadn't of course noticed the
'shadow' that was tailing me, not until the next morning when the
camera mysteriously disappeared from the locker in my hotel room.
Never mind that. The memories of the Davamand experience are still
fresh in my mind. The day this experience becomes possible for
Indians and Pakistanis to savour freely in each other's country,
small bits of the Orwellian nightmare might begin to wane.

Gulf News
December 18, 2004

PARTITION HAS FAILED TO SOLVE COMMUNAL BIAS
by Kuldip Nayar

A former Chief of Air Staff of the Pakistan Air Force made a poignant
remark at a farewell party in New Delhi.

Leading a delegation of retired military officers to India a few days
ago, he said he wished those who had left Pakistan after its
formation had not done so because his country missed the texture of
society it intended to have.

Probably he did not realise that theirs was not an easy choice. They
had to leave because they were non-Muslims. When they locked their
houses behind they thought they would return after things had settled
down.

There was no going back and this realisation came to them only when
they saw two streams of human beings on the main Grand Trunk Road,
one flowing towards India and the other towards Pakistan. Muslims
went through the same traumatic experience.

However, thousands of them have come back to the state, not Punjabis
but others. In contrast, there are hardly any Hindus in West Punjab.
This is what makes India different despite all the onslaughts of
Hindutva. Non-Muslims would have stayed back in Pakistan if Mohammad
Ali Jinnah's reinterpretation of the two-nation theory had been
carried out.

Its ethos became secularism, not religion. He said that Muslims
ceased to be Muslims and Hindus ceased to be Hindus; they were either
Pakistanis or Indians.

Mahatma Gandhi, in turn, declared that he would live in Pakistan and
seek no visa to enter. Gandhi was shot dead by the extremists and
Jinnah was abandoned by similar elements and left dying as a
disillusioned man.

Both leaders who were at the helm of political affairs then did not
envisage that the minorities would have to quit because of their
religion in the country to which they belonged. Both were dejected
when the migration began.

I recall the talk I had with Jinnah in 1946 when he addressed the Law
College at Lahore. I was then in the final year. I asked him what
would happen in the subcontinent after the departure of the British
because the hatred between Hindus and Muslims had reached a boiling
point.

He said: "Some nations have killed millions of each others and yet an
enemy of today is a friend of tomorrow."

That is history. Look at France and Germany which have fought each
other for hundreds of years. I wish that had come true in the
subcontinent.

We have fought three and a half wars and killed thousands. Retired
military officers who came here and some of ours who went there were
then in the forefront. The problem between the two countries has got
more aggravated over the years.

Fires of prejudice

What was once a Hindu-Muslim hiatus has now become the confrontation
between India and Pakistan which is laced with nuclear missiles.
Partition has failed to solve the basic problem of communal bias.

I see the same fires of prejudice burning in the two countries.
Misinformation, misunderstanding or misinterpretation of religion is
grist to the hatred mill which is working all the time.

The common man wants to bury the hatchet while keeping his identity
intact. But fundamentalists on either side sabotage even the most
altruistic initiative to span the distance between the two.

It is strange that the Pakistan government should want to take credit
for its campaign against prejudice when the history it teaches in
schools and colleges is partisan and begins with the advent of Muslim
rule in India.

What about the civilisation of Mohenjodaro and Taxila? They do not
figure anywhere because they are related to Hinduism. This is how
bias is sown. Revising history books should be one step to judge how
serious President General Pervez Musharraf is about fostering
secularism and Jinnah's legacy.

People-to-people contact has busted the walls of prejudice and
suspicion to some extent. Religious parties wield great influence and
they run state governments in the North Western Frontier Province on
their own and in Baluchistan with the support of Musharraf.

Even otherwise, he has a close understanding with the religious
elements which first approved of his presidency and now give empty
threats that they will not tolerate his uniform beyond December 31.

The process of people meeting from the different fields in India and
Pakistan has diluted religious fanaticism. But when Musharraf says:
"I am giving bilateralism a final chance in Kashmir" and when Indian
Foreign Minister Natwar Singh declares "all is not well", the
atmosphere becomes heavy.

It means that the two governments are beginning to build a case to
restrict the contact.

This necessitates the implementation of decisions reached on some of
the confidence building measures. Another round of composite talks
that has begun now should see to it. Kashmir is a symptom. The
disease is bias.

Our priority should be to establish secularism on both sides. India
has been lucky because leaders even after Nehru made no compromise
with communalism.

The BJP which did was ousted lock, stock and barrel. In Pakistan no
leader after Jinnah and Liaquat Ali Khan has pursued secularism. The
result is that ideologically the two countries stand poles apart.

Musharraf says he is fighting fundamentalists. But he is also seeking
their assistance for political purposes. His other problem is the
jihadi elements in the military. In truth, fundamentalists in both
the countries are vitiating the atmosphere and stoking the fires of
prejudice. The eruption in India is met with eruption in Pakistan.

The demolition of Babri masjid is one example. What happened in its
wake in Pakistan was equally vindictive when practically all the
Hindu temples were damaged in retaliation.

Relations between New Delhi and Islamabad will not improve until
fundamentalists are out of the reckoning. If Kashmir is the be-all
and end-all for Pakistan, it can be solved only up to the point which
has the support of the BJP.

True, former prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee deserves all the
credit for having set the ball rolling in January this year. Yet how
far he would have conceded to Pakistan would never be known. The
Manmohan Singh government, I am sure, must be keeping the BJP in the
picture behind the scenes. But the stage of assessing how far it is
willing to concede on Kashmir is yet to come.

What people on both sides should meanwhile do is to deepen contacts
at every level so as to make it difficult for the governments to
impose restrictions even when they want to. People should not be
dependent on their whims.

In fact, they should be debating the South Asian economic zone, from
Afghanistan to Myanmar, to push relations beyond nationalities,
borders and religions. It is a pity that the persons who rule the
region are pygmies, not visionaries.

The Hindu - Dec 19, 2004
Magazine

IN CONVERSATION

Forgotten themes

R. CHAMPAKALAKSHMI talks to historian Romila Thapar.

Romila Thapar ... "Historical writing is not a free-for-all in which
anyone can claim to be writing history."

Professor Romila Thapar was recently in Chennai at the invitation of
the Prakriti Foundation, known to bring to the city the best among
scholars and artists for an enlightened audience. She gave two
lectures at the Museum Theatre on two unusual but important themes -
"Perceiving the Forests: Early India" and " Somanatha: The many
Voices of a History". They made Thapar's lectures almost dramatic in
their presentation with a rich artistic background to the stage, but
the scholar performer had members of the audience glued to their
seats with her highly academic and lucid presentation, which needed
no setting or backdrop.

The two lectures were highly illuminating and were marked by the
historiographical advance of recent scholarship, which has
revolutionised our understanding of the nature of the discipline and
our vision of the past. What was of interest to the audience was that
they demonstrated the kind of historiographical changes that have
taken place in both the handling of new themes and in the
re-interpretation of existing theories. The first lecture on the
forest was undoubtedly a new theme and the subject of the forest in
history may have been puzzling to some, but the intention of the
lecture was not only to show that such non-conventional subjects are
relevant to the study of history but also to narrate changes that
have taken place during a long span of time - Fifth Century B.C. to
Seventh Century A.D. The choice of the theme is noteworthy. It
indicates the importance to historians today of themes that had been
neglected in the past or not even recognised as important in
historical processes which would extend to societies such as
pastoralists and forest dwellers and their contribution to mainstream
history, and also those who had been at the lower end of society or
had been marginalised.

Professor R. Champakalakshmi spoke to Professor Thapar on the
significance of the choice of themes.

R. CHAMPAKALAKSHMI

HOW important is the study of the forest for the present, especially in India?

ROMILA THAPAR

Its relevance to the present is in the form of two aspects. One is
the varied symbolism of the forest in Indian literature and culture,
which has not really been investigated or fully explored, e.g., in
the epics, exile is into the forest and the forest becomes a central
space for the activities of the heroes. The question of why the
forest was chosen relates to the early views in some North Indian
texts, of the dichotomy between the forest and the settlement (aranya
and grama or vana and kshetra). The interface between the two
concepts is played out in many later texts. The second is the
attitude of our present day society to the forest. There is a
tendency to almost ignore the centrality of the forest and the people
who live in it because their culture and living pattern is regarded
as different if not inferior.

Has this attitude always existed?

Attitudes to the forest have changed in time and space. In some texts
there was a dichotomy posed between the settlement and the forest.
The forest was initially regarded as an unfamiliar space, a
wilderness hosting people whose culture was alien. Sometimes the
descriptions of such people are projected as realistic as in the
description of, for example, the Nishada and Sabara, although even
this supposed realism becomes a stereotype. At the other end the
question may be asked as to whether the references to the Rakshasa,
the Preta and the Daitya, demons and ghosts of various kinds could
have been a reference to the alien people of the forest. Demonising
the "other" is sometimes a technique to justify holding such people
in contempt and even attacking them.

Was the relationship between the settlement and the forest always a
contested relationship?

No. This was not always the case. There are other texts in which the
relationship is depicted as distinct but harmonious or symbiotic, as
in the Tinai ecologies of the Tamil Sangam texts, a concept that is
just beginning to acquire importance in environmental history and
needs to be discussed further. There is also the romanticising of the
forest, as for example in the plays of Kalidasa. The forest is
symbolic of nature and although there is some tension between the
settlement and the forest, the forest is not a wilderness or an
unknown place and is not associated with evil. In fact these changes
in attitudes come about in different kinds of societies in different
periods.

If the subject is relevant today, then what was the attitude of the
state to the forest in the early past?

ORIENTAL SCENERY/TIMELESS BOOKS 1998

One major difference between the depiction of the forest in creative
literature and the concern of state policy is the example of
Kautilya's Arthasasatra. The forest here is a resource from which the
state derived revenue. The products of the forest such as timber,
gemstones and elephants contribute to revenue as also does the
clearing of the forest and converting the land to cultivation. From
mid-first millennium A.D. onwards, the state increasingly made grants
of land to religious authorities and institutions and to a lesser
extent to those who served the state. Where such grants were of waste
land or in the forested area they entailed the conversion of forest
land to cultivation. Doubtless such activities would in some areas
have been resisted by those who habitually derived their livelihood
from the forest.

Where the relationship was not confrontational, what form could it have taken?

This is actually a very important area which has been discussed by
social scientists working on recent history in relation to the
conversion of non-caste groups to castes. It is one aspect of what
some sociologists have referred to as the process of change from jana
to jati. This process can be recognised in some sources of the early
period but needs more detailed investigation. The argument that is
sometimes made is that when caste society comes into juxtaposition
with the peoples of the forest, there is a process of what might be
called osmosis, where the conversion of the forest people to caste
can take place, although frequently they continue to observe their
kinship patterns, customary laws and religious beliefs and practices.
As has often been stated by historians working on the history of
religion, new forms of deities and new rituals were possibly
contributed through this osmosis. The osmosis could be an end product
of confrontation or of juxtaposition, depending on the particular
circumstances.

Does this not suggest that it is entirely ahistorical to maintain
that Indian tradition goes back to a single source and is monolithic?
What you are suggesting is that there has to be a study of the
multiplicity of sources and contexts that went into the making of
Indian religious tradition.

Yes. I agree entirely.

For environmental history, your approach would seem to be a
preliminary but necessary step towards further analysis of past
attitudes to environment, man-nature relationship and ecological
changes.

Yes. It is. One hopes that such subjects are taken up and analysed further.

Taking the lecture on Somanatha, it was in many ways a demonstration
of a methodologically significant analysis of one of the most
challenging of historical events - the raid of Mahmud of Ghazni on
Somanatha in A.D. 1026. What is of value in this analysis is that the
sources have all been well known to all historians in the past but
their inter-relationships have not been probed and the event has been
repeatedly misrepresented and abused for political ends. Your
re-appraisal of a wide range of sources (six categories), situating
them in their historical contexts reveals varied perspectives,
diverse and even contradictory perceptions even in a single category
of sources viz., the Turko-Persian chronicles and narratives, in
projecting the raid as a crusade and Mahmud as a champion of Islam,
the ideal Islamic ruler who founded Muslim rule in India, which is
historically an inaccurate statement. You rightly attribute it to the
erroneous periodisation of Indian history into Hindu, Muslim and
British, which made it into a national event, as also the languages
of their major sources viz., Sanskrit, Persian (especially for the
Medieval period) and English, ignoring all other contemporary and
later sources in other languages of other regions, particularly the
contemporary Sanskrit inscriptions and Jain biographies and
chronicles, apart from trade and mutually supportive agreements
between traders and local big men regarding land and property for
religious purposes. The colonial interpretations, which made it a
national event, constructed the memory of a trauma among the Hindus,
depicting Muslims as uniformly tyrannical and oppressive causing a
deep Hindu-Muslim divide. Thus an event which had a restricted local
significance and a political motive was blown out of proportion and
constructed as the social memory of a traumatic national disaster.
Equally important is the fact that what comes through in the lecture
is the centrality of the context of the sources to the historian. The
method followed in this lecture reveals the need to see the interface
between various sources and not rely uncritically on just one
category. What made you turn to the range of sources that others had
not done so far?

If one is studying the history of an event or a location, one
inevitably has to consider all the sources and their many voices.
Unfortunately in the past, priority was given to the Turko-Persian
chronicles, without considering a comparative study with Sanskrit
sources and the Jain chronicles of the same period, the Rajput epics
and popular traditions of the Nathpanthis and the Tantric texts, all
of which have a relevance to the history of Somanatha and thereby a
perception or otherwise of Mahmud's raids.

Essentially this was an event that concerned a specific region, i.e.
Gujarat and parts of North India and there appears to be no awareness
of such an event in other regions and other sources of that period.
What was a local event was projected as a national event and a
traumatic one at that. Why was a local event projected as a national
event?

The absence of reference to the raid of Mahmud in other sources other
than the Turko-Persian chronicles remains an enigma. The wider
coverage was initially in the Turko-Persian chronicles. But it was
after the colonial endorsement of the event that the larger dimension
came into the picture. This was then taken up by some sections among
the Indian nationalists who treated it as a national event.

If you are using such a wide range of sources, can there be a single
criterion for assessing their reliability?

The evaluation of the reliability of each category of sources is
crucial because each has what would today be called an ideological
context. These contexts have to be recognised as different from one
another. Court chronicles, whether of the Sultanate or of the
Chaulukya (Solankis of Gujarat) court carry their own biases as do
the statements of traders and of popular preachers or for that matter
the use made of Indian history as part of colonial policy as much as
subsequently by religious nationalism.

Would you then say that this historiographical advance makes it
imperative that historians realise that history is as rigorous a
discipline as any other science and that teaching and research have
to be constantly updated, both in content and methodology? And that
students are made aware of the importance of multiple and diverse
perspectives of historical processes and events, which cannot have a
mono-causal explanation?

As you know, we have all been arguing for many years now that the
writing of history has to be based on what historians now call "the
Historical Method". Stated briefly this requires ensuring the
reliability of the evidence that is used (and this requires
wind-ranging training in handling sources), the critical analyses of
the evidence, assessing the priorities among multiple causes and the
logical basis of the historical arguments that follow. Historical
writing is not a free-for-all in which anyone can claim to be writing
history. The use of the Historical method has primacy in historical
writing.

Yes, it is a rigorous discipline. It is the same with the more
intellectually challenging writing in all subjects. It is this kind
of change that encourages advances in knowledge.

The advances are also dependent, as you rightly say, on constantly
updating the content and methodology of the discipline. In the case
of history, an awareness of the method and the changes also come
through historiography - that is, the history of ideas relating to
historical explanation. Inevitably this becomes a component of
historical method.

R. Champakalakshmi is former professor of history, Jawaharlal Nehru
University, Delhi.

UPDATE 36: DEMONSTRATION  FOR EMPLOYMENT GUARANTEE
(21 DECEMBER)

Dear friends,

The National Rural Employment Guarantee Bill 2004 was cleared by the
Cabinet on 15 December, but the relief was shortlived. Indeed this
"employment guarantee" Bill has been diluted beyond recognition.
Aside from the sabotage mentioned in earlier updates, it is now
learnt that the latest version of the Bill restricts both the
employment guarantee and the unemployment allowance to "poor"
households (read BPL households).  This amounts to a neat last-minute
spiking of the Act, which was meant to be based on universal
entitlement and self-selection.  In the light of these developments,
the demonstration on 21 December in Delhi (see below) will be not
just a display of banners but also a protest against this sabotage.

We are trying to keep track of the latest developments and post as
much information as possible on the campaign website
(www.righttofoodindia.org), in the "Employment Guarantee" section.
The "official" version of the Bill is still under wraps, but it is
expected to be tabled in Parliament sometime during the next 2-3
days.  As soon as the official version is available the website will
be updated again.

DISPLAY OF BANNERS ON 21 DECEMBER

As mentioned in earlier updates, a massive signature campaign has
been taking place all over the country during the last few weeks.
Signatures demanding the immediate adoption of a full-fledged
Employment Guarantee Act have been collected on large banners, which
are now on their way to Delhi.  The public display of banners - about
3,000 of them - will be taking place at Jantar Mantar (Parliament
Street) on 21 December.  We shall be assembling from 10 am onwards
and the demonstration will start at 11 am.

Approximately 1000 participants, representing more than 200
organisations, are expected from various parts of the country.  There
will be a reception team at Jantar Mantar from 8 am onwards to assist
participants coming from outside Delhi.  If you are bringing banners,
please reach Jantar Mantar well before 10 am (the sooner the better),
as the arrangement of banners is likely to be a major task.

Participants are requested to help with stitching small sized banners
(less than 5m wide) on either side so that they can be supported by a
stick for display.  Longer banners are expected to be erected on
trees, railings and other available spaces.  Since we have to erect a
large number of banners in quick time, it would be of help if
participants can tie their banners with a "sutli" and keep them ready
for display.  Efforts are on to erect as many banners as possible, if
required by extending it up to Connaught Place.

The display of banners at Jantar Mantar will end at 2 pm.  From there
we shall go to 4 Ashoka Road (about 1 km from Jantar Mantar) for a
follow-up cultural programme and informal meeting.  This will also be
an opportunity to discuss further mobilisation for a full-fledged
Employment Guarantee Act during the next few months.

If you require any help or information at any time please contact
Navjyoti (9811087811), Annie (9811553633), Somanathan (9810994611),
Subhash (9810810365), or Vivek (3091 7116, 9350530150).

FOLLOW-UP MEETING ON 22 DECEMBER

A follow-up meeting will be held on 22 December, from 10 am to 1 pm,
to review the situation and plan further activities.  This meeting is
likely to take place at the Indian Social Institute (Lodi Road), but
the venue remains to be confirmed.  The agenda will be decided
collectively on 21 December itself.  The contact persons listed above
will be able to provide confirmed details of this meeting on 21
December.

FLAWS OF THE EMPLOYMENT GUARANTEE BILL 2004

By way of update on the flaws of the Employment Guarantee Bill to be
tabled in Parliament in a few days, we copy below the relevant
portion of a recent "communique" on this from the Communist Party of
India (Marxist), issued soon after the Cabinet meeting on 15 December.