SACW | 10-11 Jul 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Jul 11 20:13:06 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire    |  10-11 July,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]  A war of sorts:  Growing militancy in western Pakistan (M B Naqvi)
[2]  Pakistan: JAC demands inquiry into attacks on NGOs (Daily Times Report)
[3]  Protest at Pakistan Sharia plans (Paul Anderson)
[4]  Blurred Borders: Coastal Conflicts between
India and Pakistan (Charu Gupta, Mukul Sharma)
[5]  Amit Chakraborty's Rejoinder to the op-ed
Article: 'An Indian View on Kashmir' by Hamid Alvi
[6]  India: The Congress burden - For 20 years
the party has been in denial over '84. It's time
to come clean (Editorial, The Indian Express)
[7] India: Why can't we ban 'triple talaq'?  [Javed Akhtar]
+ 'We are the only ones who claim that no changes
are possible in the fiqh' (Javed Anand)
[8] India: High Court admits PIL challenging ban on Shivaji book
[9] India: Letter to the Editor (Mukul Dube)
[10] India: Anhad Future Strategies Meeting  (New Delhi, July 17, 2004)
[11] India: Hindutva at work
- Bajrang Dal activists vandalise Indore hospital
- Saffron protest hits Lahore bus (Punjab)

--------------

[1]

Deccan Herald, July 12, 2004

A war of sorts:  Growing militancy in western Pakistan
BY M B NAQVI

For some odd reason nobody seems to recognise
what is happening in Pakistan's own wild west:
the tribal belt of Pushtoons, FATA, especially
South Waziristan, along the long
Pakistan-Afghanistan border, known as Durand
Line. Actually a war of sorts is going on. The
potential of which is terrible to contemplate for
Pakistan.

The news being published in Pakistan is very
clearly 'doctored' by Pakistan's various
agencies. The two opposing sides can be clearly
seen: on the one side is Pakistan Army along with
its para-militaries and the side opposing them is
rather shadowy. It is generally being referred to
as Islamic militants who were proved to have
considerable military prowess in South
Waziristan. One phase of the warfare lasted a
fortnight during March last. In those 14 days the
Pakistan army actually suffered more fatal
casualties than did the militants. The final
count was 60:40.
But more important is the potential of this on
again and off again war. There are intervals in
it of negotiations and peaceful efforts to defuse
the situation by the use of traditional
combination of gold and guns, which the Americans
put simply as a carrot and stick policy.

So far nothing has worked for Islamabad. All its
peace efforts fizzled out and have resulted in
mutual recrimination. Negotiations begin but go
nowhere. Issues however are now clear-cut.
Prodded strongly by the Americans, Islamabad
wants the tribal elders, Maliks and other
influential leaders to force the militants into
making the foreign Jihadis, said to be of 1980s
vintage, to surrender. The tribals hum and haw.
The talks go in circles. But the inflexible
government terms are not met.

Islamabad is insistent that all foreigners -
Chechens, Uzbeks, Tajiks and some even Ughairs -
should surrender themselves, that Pushtoon
militants should stop armed resistance and
foreigners register themselves with the nominated
authority. For its part, Islamabad has promised
amnesty to all those who register themselves and
promise not to use violence for any purpose. They
would then be allowed to go on living in the area
( in their own homes). These talks, as noted,
have not succeeded despite several bouts of
negotiations and the expenditure of large sums of
money.

Most disturbed part

The most disturbed part is certainly NWFP's
tribal areas, though its impact on the so called
settled districts that is ruled by the six
religious parties' alliance MMA (Muttaheda Majlis
Amal) is predictable. Balochistan, another
province bordering on Afghanistan, is also
wracked by frequent eruption of violence of two
separate kinds: one set of violent incidents is
attributed to Balochistan's nationalist circles
that do not want the centre to start its own
large projects which will bring with it droves of
outsiders and these 'foreigners' may soon
outnumber the Baloch people.
The second set of violent incidents is more
complex, though its origin in Islamic militancy
is in no doubt. It takes different forms. Mostly
it takes the form of sectarian violence against
the Shias. But often it is pro-Taliban and is
targeted against the government's or military's
symbols. Punjab is politically the most docile
and quiet province, though crime rate in its big
cities is rapidly rising.

The Sindh province can be considered under three
heads: general lawlessness and bad governance
marks every part of the province, including the
larger cities of Karachi and Hyderabad. Secondly
the kind of sway that robbers have in the
countryside is perhaps unique to Sindh. The main
national arteries are often closed and public
transport is looted for hours on end - and
nothing really happens. The robbers roam the
countryside more or less with impunity because
their gangs are supported by powerful political
personalities.

In terms of crime, Karachi has a special place of
its own: it is a city of huge proportions that
requires efficient local governance to function.
It is this element that is missing. The crime
syndicates in the city have more or less created
linkages with different mafias: the drug lords,
the builders, the carjackers and kidnappers for
ransom. Thirty to 40 car hijacking and thefts are
often the daily average, though there are always
ups and downs in such statistics. In the city
that is frequently said to house 14 to 15 million
people, nobody knows the number of robberies
being committed everyday. Nobody reports a
dacoity to the police, except when a car jacking
is involved. Half the people do not report to the
police, out of the fear of further extortion.

But most important of all: Karachi needs to be
considered separately because Islamic militancy
is actually growing in this otherwise
traditionally cosmopolitan city. At one time, the
city was represented in the Parliament by
religious parties, who were later displaced by
ethnic Mohajir party, Muttaheda Qaumi Movement -
a part of the government now. Three parties lay
claim to be the dominant force in Karachi:
Benazir Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party,
Jamaat-e-Islami and MQM.

No hope left

Conditions in which the common people live in the
city leave them no hope and patience. Only the
Mullahs utilise their mosques as regular
platforms every Friday, preaching a millenarian
solution of all problems: Once an Islamic state
is established, all sorrows of the people would
disappear; there would be no crime; and no child
will go hungry. But then the faithful have to
unite and fight the forces of evil, now led by
the US. Such is the credo now being pedalled by
Mullahs in the length and breath of the country.

But Karachi provides an especially receptive
audience, thanks to the city's shortages of all
social amenities. It is not yet regarded as a
settled fact that al-Qaeda is coordinating the
violent attacks on government as well as on the
minorities in all places. But the growing
influence of militant Islamic preachers is
certainly a ubiquitous fact, the government
claims everyday of fighting al-Qaeda and
terrorists. Actually it is unable to stop any of
it and is at sea about how to counter these ideas.

JAC demands inquiry into attacks on NGOs

Staff Report
Daily Times:July 5, 2004

LAHORE: The Joint Action Committee (JAC) for People's
Rights, an alliance of more than 30 non-government
organisations and civil societies in Punjab, has
demanded the NWFP chief minister investigate recent
attacks on NGOs and female workers in the Frontier.

A letter was written to NWFP Chief Minister Muhammad
Akram Khan Durrani by JAC convener Shah Taj Qazilbash,
with copies sent to the Senate chairman, National
Assembly speaker, interior secretary, attorney general
of Pakistan and NWFP inspector general police, whereby
the JAC expressed its concern regarding serious
threats to various NGOs and human rights activists in
the NWFP.

In a recent incident in Bannu, a woman field officer
and a driver of the NGO Khawanda Khor were seriously
injured in an attack by armed men. This was not the
first time that the NGOs had been attacked physically
and threatened by religious groups in the province, it
said.

The letter said that these groups made public
statements against NGOs recently, which amounted to
criminal intimidation and incitement to violence. Due
to the authoritiesí failure to protect the lives of
those targeted, these armed militias have become
bolder, it said. In many cases, the militants made no
attempt to conceal their identity, yet the law
enforcement agencies in the province have not caught
them. The JAC said that these elements found
encouragement from "the governmentís anti-human rights
position". Unless the NWFP government took immediate
measures to enforce the law, human rights activists
would remain vulnerable to such attacks.

BBC News, 7 July, 2004

Protest at Pakistan Sharia plans
By Paul Anderson
BBC correspondent in Islamabad

The Economic and Political Weekly
July 03, 2004

Blurred Borders: Coastal Conflicts between India and Pakistan

Coastal fisherfolk of India and Pakistan are
often arrested for crossing borders. They are
victims of defined and undefined boundaries and
borders in the seas, and increasing conflicts
over renewable resources. These coastal conflicts
need to be understood from several overlapping
but distinct perspectives. Low-intensity
conflicts over environmental concerns are as
serious as conventional war and simultaneously
question cartographic and border
anxieties of these countries.

by Charu Gupta, Mukul Sharma

[FULL ELECTRONIC TEXT  OF THE ABOVE ARTICLE (80K)
IS AVAILABLE TO ALL INTERESTED. SHOULD YOU
REQUIRE A COPY WRITE TO: <aiindex at mnet.fr>]