SACW | 12-13 March 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Mar 12 21:11:04 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  12-13 March,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Is this the Bangladesh we wanted? (Zafar Sobhan)
[2] Fifth Orientation Course in South Asian Peace Studies
[3] India: Book review - Buffalo Soldier (Soma Wadhwa)
[4] India Book Review - Hindutva Agenda of Hindi Press (Yogi Sikand)
[5] India: People's Tribunal on Prevention of
Terrorism Act (POTA and other security
legislation)
(March 13 to 14, 2004, New Delhi)
[6] UK: Women and Hindutva - Confronting the violence of fascism in  India
Discussion Meeting (13 March 2004, London)

--------------

[1]

The Daily Star
March 08, 2004
Editorial

Is this the Bangladesh we wanted?

Zafar Sobhan

Is this the Bangladesh we wanted? Eminent writer
and freethinker Humayun Azad famously posed this
question to us all, and as he lies in CMH slowly
after being viciously attacked with butcher's
knives by unknown assailants at the Bangla
Academy during its annual book fair, this seems a
fair time to ask the question again.

March 26 is just around the corner. Independence
day. This is the date when we take an annual
national reckoning, when we look back over the
years since the liberation war and see where we
have come to and what we have achieved.

Few people looking at Bangladesh today would
conclude that the country we see before us is the
one that we wanted. Few would argue that this is
the country that we dreamed of creating. The
brave new world we envisioned on March 26, 1971
remains a distant hope. The best we can say is
that we have achieved some modest goals, we have
much to be proud of, and things could have been
and have been far worse.

But if we are being honest, we would have to
concede that Bangladesh today is a bitter
disappointment to our ideals.

There are so many ways in which the reality of
our existence falls short of what we had hoped
for -- economically, politically, educationally
-- you name it. But the attack on Prof. Azad
highlights the fact that, above all, what we lack
in Bangladesh are basic freedoms. The freedom to
express one's opinions, the freedom to dissent,
to argue, to criticise. The freedom from fear.

Did we dream of a country where iconoclastic and
freethinking writers can be attacked and left for
dead merely for articulating a provocative
opinion that threatens a powerful constituency?
Is this the Bangladesh we wanted?

I am assuming that for most of us, the answer is
no. So, the question is, if this isn't the
Bangladesh we wanted, how did we get here, and
what can we do to create a Bangladesh more in
line with our ideals?

Let us use the attack on Prof. Azad as a starting point.

Right now, we cannot say with any level of
certainty who carried out the attack on Prof.
Azad. Perhaps we will never know for sure. But
does this mean that if the authorities never
manage to find the perpetrators of the attack,
that we will have to draw a curtain around the
matter and consider it closed until further
notice?

I don't believe so. Even in the absence of
concrete evidence, I think it is fairly clear who
was behind the attack on Prof. Azad. We merely
need to look at who his enemies are and who would
want him silenced.

The writer's wife, Latifa Kohinoor has little
doubt as to who is to blame. According to her, an
extremist group had threatened Prof. Azad with
death following the launch of his latest work,
Pak Sar Zamin Saad Baad in November.

"Fundamentalists have done this," she is on
record as saying, "Who else would do this? You
know an MP even spat venom at him in parliament."

Indeed, on December 12, religious extremists
addressing a mammoth demonstration at Baitul
Mukarram Mosque demanded the arrest and trial of
Prof. Azad, and on January 25, a Jamaat MP
demanded the introduction of a blasphemy act in
parliament to block the publication of books such
as Prof. Azad's new work.

"Why didn't you take security measures to protect
him after such an outrage in parliament?" Ms.
Kohinoor asked the authorities after her husband
had been attacked.

So, does this mean that Prof. Azad was attacked
by Jamaat or IOJ cadres? The truth is that right
now it is impossible to say who attacked him.
Only after a thorough investigation and trial
will we know who specifically is to blame.

But one thing that is certain is that the climate
for the attack on Prof. Azad was created and
fostered by the incitement against him by the
more mainstream religious parties.

The more power that these groups are able to
muster, the more emboldened will be the more
fanatical extremists in our midst, and the more
likely it is that attacks such as the one on
Prof. Azad will occur.

It's a simple calculation. If we don't want this
kind of thing to happen, then we shouldn't
empower extremists.

Every time the government makes a concession to
their political agenda, the extremists are
emboldened. Every time the government indicates
that attacks on minorities will not be punished,
the extremists are emboldened. Every time they
are able to check the rights and freedoms of
women with impunity, the extremists are
emboldened. Every time the more mainstream
religious parties win more seats in parliament
and their leaders are appointed to cabinet
positions and ministries, the extremists are
emboldened.

The end result of people like this being
empowered and emboldened is incidents such as the
attack on Prof. Azad. There is a direct
connection between our tolerance of extremists,
and the courage they have to commit the most
heinous of crimes in the name of their beliefs.

The more mainstream religious parties have 17
seats in parliament and control key cabinet
portfolios due to the BNP's readiness to take
them on as coalition partners. Not only that, but
as recently as January, when the government
banned all Ahmadiyya publications, the government
indicated its willingness to bow down to the
agenda of the religious parties within the ruling
coalition.

Does it come as any surprise that in this climate
that the more radical extremists feel that
someone like Prof. Azad is fair game?

So who is to blame? The short but disturbing
answer is that it is we who are to blame. All
those who helped put the religious parties into
high office and thereby emboldened the more
fanatical elements in the country share the blame
for what has been wrought.

And I am not talking just about the people who
voted for the religious parties. I am talking
also about those who voted for their alliance
partners in full knowledge of who would be given
prominent cabinet positions in a four-party
alliance government.

It is all very well to shed crocodile tears for
Humayun Azad, but those who do so should look in
the mirror and ask themselves how we got to this
position in the first place. The point is that
most of us are shocked and appalled by the attack
on Prof. Azad, but at the same time do not
acknowledge our own complicity in such matters.
There is a contradiction here that needs to be
examined.

If we do not each take upon ourselves the
personal responsibility to do everything we can
to remove extremists from public life and counter
them at every opportunity then we too are
accomplices to the actions of their more
fanatical counterparts. If we sit idly and do
nothing as they grow in power and influence and
boldness then we can expect much more of the same.

Is this the Bangladesh we wanted? After what
happened to Prof. Azad on February 27, we can't
ever say that we haven't been warned.

Zafar Sobhan is an Assistant Editor of The Daily Star.

Fifth Orientation Course in South Asian Peace Studies

Applications are invited for the Fifth South
Asian Human Rights and Peace Studies Orientation
Course of the South Asia Forum for Human Rights
(SAFHR) to be held in Kathmandu, Nepal.  The
course has two components - distance education in
human rights and peace from July 1 to August 31,
and a direct orientation course in peace studies
to be held in Kathmandu from 5 September to 20
September, 2004. The course is intended for peace
and human rights activists, media persons,
researchers, academics studies, and policy makers.

Registration fee for South Asian participants is
US $ 100 (or its equivalent in Nepali Rupee) and
participants from outside the region US $ 400.
Participants will have to look for their own
funding for travel. SAFHR will assist deserving
participants from South Asia to obtain travel
supports from other donor agencies. Select course
material for the selected candidates will be
provided by SAFHR. Board and lodging is also
provided. The age limit for participation is (35)
years. Women, human rights and peace activists
from conflict areas are particularly encouraged
to apply. Applications must reach Peace Studies
Desk in the South Asia Forum for Human Rights
(3/23, Shree Durbar Tole, Patan Dhoka, Lalitpur,
Kathamndu, Nepal; GPO Box 12855, Tel:
977-1-5541026; Fax: 5527852, E-mail
peacestudies at safhr.org by 15 April 2004.
Applications by fax or e-mail will be valid.
Applications will have to be supported by full
particulars, 1000-word summary of the relevance
of the course to the work of the participant, and
names of two referees whose recommendations
should reach independently SAFHR peace studies
desk. In selection of candidates the 1000-word
summary will be accorded importance. Applicants
are encouraged to visit SAFHR's website,
www.safhr.org for information about the course.
Language of the course is english and proficiency
in English is essential. The course will be
participatory, will involve fieldwork,
audio-visual studies, interactive sessions,
participants' workshops, public lectures and
presentation by participants. Frontline activists
and researchers on human rights, peace and
reconciliation will share their knowledge and
experience with participants towards developing
an enriched collective understanding of issues of
justice and peace in South Asia.

Outlook [India]
Mar 15, 2004

REVIEW

Buffalo Soldier
Yet another ferocious indictment of Hindu
Brahminism by author and activist in the
Dalit-Bahujan movement Kancha Ilaiah.
SOMA WADHWA

BUFFALO NATIONALISM: A CRITIQUE OF SPIRITUAL FASCISM
by Kancha Ilaiah
SAMYA
RS 200; PAGES: 200

Yet another ferocious indictment of Hindu
Brahminism by author and activist in the
Dalit-Bahujan movement Kancha Ilaiah. Devoted to
"all those who have suffered apartheid,
untouchability, casteism, patriarchy and brutal
atrocities because of spiritual fascism...."
There's no doubting what to expect from Buffalo
Nationalism, a collection of Ilaiah's published
articles in newspapers over the years. Especially
for those familiar with Ilaiah's earlier works.

Despite his predictability, though, Ilaiah's
writing has a fervour and intellectual rigour
that makes this book an engaging read. It pushes
one into taking note of Ilaiah's perspective on
what has gone into making India an unjust nation
for the Dalit-Bahujans. The cow, not the buffalo,
Ilaiah argues, is worshipped. Because, though
both give milk, the cow is white, as were the
Aryans ("Brahmins are basically Aryans"). So, it
made sense for the Aryans to spin a philosophy
around "white being good", and black, the colour
of the Dravidians (and the "low castes"), being
bad.

The discourse in Buffalo Nationalism attempts to
reverse this philosophy: "...we need to change
the philosophy of caste, colour, language, land,
animals, birds, food and so on. We must deploy
symbols that have opposite and corrective
meanings, ideology and philosophy to that of
Hindu Brahminism. That's where the survival of
the nation lies." Hence, the case for Buffalo
Nationalism.

And the arguments don't stop here. Ilaiah's
vision of an equal world includes more palpable
issues for the Dalit-Bahujans: the right to
conversion, the need to be taught English,
reservations in education and employment. He
cites a personal example: "Given the unwritten
laws of patronage and access that determine who
gets a job in our institutions, my first class
MA, subsequent MPhil and several publications in
all-India journals would not have brought me a
job but for reservation." Read on to be
persuaded, or not.

Book Review

Hindutva Agenda of Hindi Press