SACW #2 | 09-11 March 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Mar 10 19:19:18 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire #2 |  09-11 March,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] India: Hindu nationalism and Orissa:
Minorities as other  (Angana Chatterji)

--------------

[1]

Communalism Combat [India]
February-March  2004

Special Report

Hindu nationalism and Orissa:
Minorities as other

BY ANGANA CHATTERJI

In October 2003 Angana Chatterji wrote a report
on Orissa for Communalism Combat about the
political economy of Hindutva in the state. In
this article, she continues to map the
entrenchment of the sangh parivar. Information
used in this article is derived from multiple
sources, including interviews with persons
affiliated with sangh organisations. As relevant,
quotations are anonymous or pseudonyms have been
used, and place names changed, listed or omitted,
at the request of the contributor. Insertion(s)
within [] in the quotations are the author's.

Your god has no eyes. He cannot have a soul. Your
god is violent, just like you are.' A Hindu neigh-
bour charges Hasina Begum. With her technician
husband, Hasina's is the only Muslim family in a
housing society in a small town in Orissa. They
relocated in 2003. Hasina and her husband are
isolated with few acquaintances in the area.
Geeta, a Hindu woman, befriended Hasina only to
be confronted by others about such association
with Muslims. Geeta slowly withdrew, saying. 'We
like you but we have to live in society here, do
we carry you with us, or carry them? What choice
do we have?' Geeta and Hasina do not speak any
more.

Hasina Begum tells me, "We know that many Hindus
hate Muslims and I know that Hindus are in power.
I am afraid for my daughter. I want her to stay
at home with me. She does not listen. So many
times I am afraid for her, I beat her to make her
stay at home. She has marks on her back from my
beating her. I am ashamed. I feel isolated. If
something happens to us, if someone attacks us,
robs us, who will be with us? We are asked, 'You
have no idols, so who is your god? Are you
godless?' I know that we are not welcome here.
There are stories about us 'Pathans' that
circulate in the market place. We have heard
about Gujarat." People tell Hasina that nothing
has really happened, that she has not been
attacked, that she is overreacting. She replies,
"Fear is attacking me. I feel that they are
watching me."

Subash Chouhan, state convenor for the Bajrang
Dal, the paramilitary wing of Hindutva, claims,
"In the country, Orissa is the second Hindu Rajya
[state]. Today, Sai [Christian] missionary and
Islam, they both want to convert the entire
pradesh [state] into Sai and Islam. In the Tribal
belt they have been planning to convert the
people into Christians and Harijans into Muslims.
This work is moving with force in Orissa. This is
the reason the Bajrang Dal and VHP [Vishwa Hindu
Parishad] have taken up the task of consolidating
Hindu shakti in Orissa. In the entire state we
have selected some [key] districts, such as Sai
based Sundargarh district, Gajapati zilla,
Phulbani, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj, Koraput,
Nabarangpur districts - we are undertaking seva
[service] work here, hospitals, one-teacher
schools, Hari Katha Yojana, orphanage, these
types of jojona and seva work are being
undertaken all over the state."

A secular activist responds, "The Rashtriya
Swayamsevak Sangh [RSS] and sangh parivar sailed
in with the cyclone [in 1999], we are now
drowning in their midst. They are too many and
everywhere. They are kind and giving to people
who abide by them, even as they are watchful and
intolerant of people who disobey them. They do
more than the government, they work hard and say
that they are against corruption. But at what
price? They are for a 'clean' Orissa, they are
cleaning out the filth, and Christians and
Muslims are the filth they want to sweep out."

Citizen's groups have formed various campaigns to
combat communalism in the state. Since 2002,
secular meetings and marches have taken place in
Beherampur, Cuttack, Balesore, Bhadrak,
Bhubaneswar and Sambalpur. Community and
citizen's leaders speak of alliance building.
They warn about the futility of partnerships with
the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and sangh
parivar vigilantes, cautioning that alliance
building requires shared commitments. They urge
for rallying progressive, democratic forces
across the state.

Throughout Orissa, land reform movements, Adivasi
and Dalit organisation for self-determination,
and resistance movements confronting the
devastation of dominant development and
globalisation act as a bulwark against the
escalation of the sangh parivar. Adivasi and
Dalit self-determination exists in opposition to
the State. Adivasis and Dalits, within
politicised contexts, do not identify as Hindus
and resist their incorporation into the
Brahminical (and elite) social order. In a Hindu
majority state in India, Brahminism enforces the
supremacy of 'Hinduness', and defines norms,
values, ethics and morality. Ethnic, minority and
marginalised groups are subject to the political
and economic violence of Brahminism via which
they are forced to frame their political and
cultural aspirations.

The secular activist continues, "[In retaliation]
the sangh parivar is consolidating its position
in the mining belt and in all sensitive and
Tribal areas in Orissa, where there are popular
Dalit or Adivasi struggles for
self-determination, trying to undercut them.
Several developments are taking place on the
mining front, where the sangh divides poor
people, who, driven out by corporations, are
organising to resist." In Nayagarh district,
Dalit communities watch Hindutva's voracious
march. They speak of malignant fictions
circulated by the Hindutvavadis that Christian
missionary activity is placing Hinduism at risk.
Dalits, Adivasis, Christians, Hindus and Muslims
speak of how their villages and watersheds
intertwine, and how crops are dependent on the
run-off water from each other's lands. They say
that they cannot afford to hate each other.

In a massive mobilisation drive in the mid 1980s,
the Jagannath Rath Yatra passed through Hindu,
Christian, Dalit and Adivasi villages across
Orissa. The Yatra traversed a thousand sites
between March 1986 and May 1988, drawing 3-4,000
people in each place. Local people met expenses
totalling 2-4 million rupees. As an outcome of
this process, 1,600 permanent mobilisation units
managed by 500 committees were set up. The VHP
and Vanavasi Kalyan Ashrams run these units,
carrying out their mission via Kirtan Mandals,
Satsangs and Yuvak Kendras.

Today, the annual Jagannath Yatra and other
Hindutva organised religio-nationalist spectacles
continue across the state. Muslims, and Adivasi
and Dalit groups connected to self-determination
movements in dissent to the sangh parivar, are
afraid as thundering mobs engulf their villages.
On April 11, 2003, communal tensions spiralled in
Rajgangapur, an industrial town 400 kilometres
from Bhubaneswar, during a procession for Hanuman
on Ramnavmi. Two people were killed in police
firing.

Over the last decade, the sangh has amassed 30
major organisations including political,
charitable, militant and educational groups,
trade and students unions, women's groups, with a
massive base of a few million, the largest
volunteer enlistment in the state. The Prakalpa
Samanvaya Samiti is a pivotal sangh organisation
synchronising the activities of various faith and
welfare outfits. The Prakalpa Samiti operates a
school at Chakapad, three student hostels, 20
weekly balwadis, and 300 night schools. It
attends to 20,000 patients each month through
medicine distribution centres and three mobile
vans. The Prakalpa Samiti acts to drive
Christians to Hinduism.

In Orissa, the RSS charges that hostile
Hinduisation is a 'rational' and necessary
response to, among other factors, the growth of
missionary activity leading to an increase in the
Christian population. Numerous groups are
conflicted about the need to direct 'equal'
energy in assessing Hindutva, Christian
missionisation and Islamic fundamentalism in
India. Violent Islamic fundamentalism certainly
requires deep scrutiny in South Asia, even as
Hindutva must command particular emphasis in
India. Hindu nationalism is linked to a state
that authorises Hindutva's actions, lending it
dangerous legitimacy.

Fundamentalist Christianity, linked to the United
States, is endorsed by the current Bush
administration. Evidence suggests (American)
evangelist participation in intelligence
operations in Latin America and elsewhere. Such
activity and its relationship to India should
concern us only as it actually takes place.
Christians constitute less than three per cent of
the population in Orissa, with a one per cent
increase since 1981. Neither does the Christian
population in India record any appreciable
increase from 2.6 per cent in 1971, to 2.43 in
1981, 2.34 in 1991 and 2.6 in 2001.

The sangh parivar converts minorities to dominant
Hinduism without distinguishing between forcible
conversions and the right to proselytise, and
uses the converted for sadistic ends. The sangh
does not acknowledge that Tribal and Dalit
conversions to Christianity are rarely coercive
and occur in response to oppressive and
entrenched caste inequities, gender violence, and
chronic poverty. The sangh's claim that
Christians in India are anti-national facilitates
violence against them. Dalit Christian activists
seek empowerment and understand 'decastification'
as necessary to fighting Hindutva. They also
speak of challenging inherent inequities that are
often reproduced through the church, where, they
say, pews are filled on Sunday mornings with
compliant people sitting in rows ordered along
caste hierarchies.

The sangh's voracious assault organises the
disenfranchised into a vicious political economy
structured by the caste system. RSS cadres
working in Sambalpur district stress how critical
it is that Adivasis and Dalits are converted to
Hinduism. They organise Adivasi rallies where
'Garbh se kaho hum Hindu hai' (say with pride
that I am a Hindu) pierces the air. Badal
Satpaty, an RSS office bearer, stresses the
importance of Adivasi conversions for Orissa.
"Vanavasis [derogatory term for Adivasis] are
given land by the government. If Vanavasis see
themselves as outside Hinduism, then their lands
too are non-Hindu lands that are anti-development
and cannot be used for the betterment of the
nation. Bharat is a Hindu nation, and these
people and their lands are anti-national."

Whose nation? Adivasis are 8.01 per cent of the
nation's inhabitants, yet 40 per cent of the
displaced population. The Transfer of Immovable
Property (by Scheduled Tribes) Regulation of 1956
provides against land transfers in Scheduled
Areas. Outside Scheduled Areas, the Orissa Land
Reforms Act of 1960 and subsequent amendments
guard against Tribal land alienation. In
practice, an extensive 'land grab' has resulted
from debt bondage and indenture related to land
leasing and mortgage of Adivasi and Dalit lands
to large farmers and moneylenders, consolidation
of land holdings, strategic marriage alliances
and corruption.

Adivasis living in forest villages are often
evicted; their right to land dismissed by the
state's insistence on 'evidence' of ownership and
residency. Such demands evince the betrayal of
old claims with new boundaries, maps, roads,
checkposts that insert violence into the everyday
life of the Adivasi. Tribal testimonies are
converted into 'lies' by the apparatus of the
state. A Gond Adivasi elder testifies, "We live
in the village in the forest. We have lived here
for generations. Our houses are made of local
mud, our roofs from local leaves from the
forests. Our diet, our thoughts, our language
tells you that we have been living here. You can
see the shadows of our ancestors reflected in the
pond, our songs mimic the birds, they tell
stories of the forest, our feet walk these lands
over and over. These [imprints] are our land
records. The forester does not believe us. Our
lives are lies to them."

In India today, about 86 per cent of Dalit
families are landless or marginal landholders,
and 63 per cent subsist on incomes from daily
wage labour. Social violence against Dalits
remains institutionalised. Legitimation of
Adivasi and Dalit rights has been a process laden
with inequities, and the notification and
denotification of Tribes is often used as a
political tool to undermine Adivasi
self-determination by not recognising their
status, claims and rights vis-à-vis the state.
The amputation of Adivasi tenure on forestlands
has contributed to cultural genocide in Orissa
that supports the consolidation of national
territory, corporate liberalisation and the ethic
of conservation inherent to modern nation states.

In July 2003, the Orissa government permitted the
unconstitutional transfer of lands in Schedule V
areas for mining and industrial use. Orissa's
decision contradicts the 1997 Samata versus
Andhra Pradesh judgement, where the apex court
had ruled against the government's lease of
Tribal forest and other lands in Scheduled Areas
to non-Tribals for mining and industrial
operations.

Beginning January 23, 2004, four Adivasi
villages, Borobhota, Kinari, Kothduar,
Sindhabahili, and their agricultural fields in
south east Kalahandi district, have been razed by
Sterlite industries, a multinational corporation
building an aluminium refinery near Lanjigarh,
adjacent to Kashipur. Sterlite's finances are
generated from its partner company, Vedanta
Resources. Non-resident Indians operate Sterlite
and Vedanta, launched in London in December 2003.
Sterlite has a controversial history. Company
chairperson and managing director, Anil Agarwal
has denied knowledge of the Samata judgement in
the past. The Lanjigarh project will mine bauxite
at 4,000 feet from the north west rim of the
Niyamgiri mountains. The villagers, forcibly
evicted, without requisite compensation or
rehabilitation, are living in camps under police
'guard', their right to life placed on hold.

State sponsored development in Orissa forces the
incorporation of the poor into the dominant
order. The sangh parivar conspires with the Biju
Janata Dal-BJP coalition government in
Bhubaneswar to enable this inequitable
amalgamation. Sangh activists have infiltrated
deep into state run development agencies such as
the Council for Advancement of People's Action
and Rural Technology (CAPART), an autonomous
institution that works to create rural
development partnerships between voluntary
organisations and the government. CAPART supports
numerous RSS activities in Orissa diverting funds
for Hindutva.

Badal Satpaty of the RSS says, "It is because
these people [Dalits, Adivasis] refuse to
integrate that all these problems arise. Why do
they ask for special rights? The motherland is
good to us all. These people are lazy, they live
in filth, they are illiterate. How can we take
them seriously without civilising them? The RSS
seeks to help in this mission, for the betterment
of the poor. The RSS is working with, first, the
Hindu Dalits to mobilise them and tell them about
the dangers of defection. Then, we are bringing
Christian Dalits and Adivasis back to the Hindu
fold through education and re-conversion. We are
also helping them economically."

Where conversions to Hinduism are acquiescent and
occur with the complicity of non-Hindus,
acquiescence is produced by its intimacy with the
dominant. For non-dominant groups, the landscape
of Hindu supremacy shapes fear (of the dominant),
desire (to acquire privileges), hope (for
'acquittal', to 'pass' as non-other) and
internalised oppression. These complex forces
create agency on the part of the marginalised.
Such agency is manufactured in relation and
response to Hindu ascendancy.

I spoke with a Dalit RSS worker who said: "The
RSS is helping us build a Hindu samaj. We are
poor, we have no assistance, we are fighting
Christians and Muslims for development money. The
Christians, they have foreign missionary money,
what do we Hindu Dalits have? The Sai
[Christians] are also converting our people to
their religion. They eat meat, they touch
leather, they have bad morals. I am scared for my
children. We are thankful that the RSS has sworn
to protect us." AC: "Have you seen these
Christian missionaries?" Dalit RSS worker: "No,
but I have heard that they are nearby." AC: "How
many Hindus have been converted in your village,
or in any of the neighbouring villages?" Dalit
RSS worker: "Nobody yet, but the RSS tells us
that they [the missionaries] might come soon.
That is why we go to the RSS meetings, to become
informed about the troubles facing us, and how we
can be strong and protect ourselves, to become an
army against these foreigners." Dalits continue
to suffer social ostracism and economic
deprivation. They are manipulated into joining
the very Hindutva forces that have historically
deprived Dalits of equity in order to use them
against other mistreated communities.

At a 15,000 strong Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram
organised rally in Bhubaneswar in December 2003,
Dilip Singh Bhuria, chairperson, National
Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled
Tribes, commended the BJP for its pro-Adivasi
policies. Adivasis have historically voted for
the Congress party in Orissa and have not
benefited from this loyalty. Mr. Bhuria said, "We
are passing through a governance similar to Ram
Rajya," posing Ram as the god, and BJP as the
party, of Adivasis. Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram
president, Jagadev Ram Oram insisted that
Adivasis converting to Christianity should not be
allowed to access the benefits of reservation.
Through espousing another religion, he said,
Adivasis no longer retain their Tribal status.
Speakers condemned Christian conversions
declaring 'all Tribals are Hindus'.

Adivasis are taught by Ekal Vidyalayas about the
'origins' of Jagannath in Hinduism, as Jagannath,
the famed Tribal god of Orissa, is Hinduised.
Since the inception of Saraswati Shishu Mandirs,
the Janata Dal, Congress and other political
parties have endorsed the sangh parivar's network
of educational organisations, interpreting
Hindutva education as secular. Consecutive
governments have abdicated state responsibility
in building a quality education system in the
state. High levels of illiteracy among Dalits and
Adivasis proliferate simultaneous to the
denigration of non-Hindu traditions and cultures.

In the absence of viable educational
institutions, Hindutva education offers a free,
widely available and rigorous curriculum.
Students from these schools succeed in state
board examinations. Hindutva schools, run
primarily by RSS organisations, are complemented
by organisations that facilitate cultural
regimentation. The facticity of hate in this
curriculum, the dismissal of minorities, the
assertion of Hindu supremacy is overlooked by
many Hindus.

In the current climate, many Muslims retreat to
madrassas. These institutions often teach
orthodoxy, deliberately mischaracterised by the
majority community as uniformly 'fundamentalist'.
Hasina Begum offers, "My daughter is in a good
school but with those other children who do not
like her. She wants to play with the neighbours
but they curse at her. They physically push her
around. Now we think we should find a madrassa
for her. The madrassa is orthodox, but they will
protect us. The education is better in the school
but what if something happens to her?"

The adverse effects of the sangh parivar on the
social and economic health of Muslim communities
are apparent. Samshul Amin, a Muslim man from
Bhadrak says, "We trade in leather. We always
have. The RSS and Bajrang Dal tell lies about how
we slaughter cows to shame Hindus. That we kill
and send the cows to Muslims in Bangladesh." A
Muslim businessman in Jagatsinghpur town
confirms, "They threaten and at times beat
Muslims on the road, starting from Bhadrak, from
Balesore, onwards up to Calcutta, where the
Bajrang Dal has a strong presence, there they are
violent. They stop cow transportation on Jajpur
road."

Subash Chouhan, Bajrang Dal state convenor,
indicts, "There is so much cow slaughter, for
example in Sundargarh, Bhadrak, thousands of
cows. Every day about 200 trucks leave with cows
for Bangladesh. We believe that the cow is our
mother, but they want to kill the cow. Also, if
the cow stays, it is a financial security for the
home. So, if necessary we will use a suicide
squad. To save the country and its sanskriti
[culture], we will do whatever is necessary."

In Pitaipura village, in Jagatsinghpur district,
a disturbing event occurred in the winter of 2001
after Muslim graveyard lands were placed in
dispute. According to Hakim Bhai, a resident of
the village, "The land record for the village
divides the 25 acres into two plots, one listed
as a 'kabarstan' [graveyard] and another as
'gorostan' [also graveyard]. But villagers insist
that 'gorostan' is 'gaochar' [grazing land] not a
kabarstan. We were harassed when funeral
processions arrived or we read namaaz during Id.
We sat down together to resolve the dispute
without any success. Then we filed a case in
court. The court did not resolve the case for the
longest time. The court then began mediating and
declared a part of the land as a graveyard and
held the rest as disputed. Once, the night before
the official was coming to measure the land,
Hindus from the village stole into the graveyard
and placed a murti [idol] to mark it as their
land. We found out and went inside and took it
out. The next morning when the official arrived,
Hindus were angry that we had taken the murti
out. They threw stones at us, we threw stones
back at them. The crowd ran from the graveyard
pelting each other. We were near the Ma Durga
temple. The Hindus started accusing us of
throwing stones at the temple. Then it began."

Another resident inserts, "Perhaps our stones had
fallen on the temple compound. But we were not
destroying the temple, we were responding to each
other. Once the word spread that we were
destroying the temple, RSS youth arrived from
Bhubaneswar and mobilised people from surrounding
villages. They went around with loudspeakers to
20-30 Hindu villages accusing us of destroying
the temple. Our basti [hamlet] is in the middle
of the village, between Hindu hamlets. Five
Muslim homes were burnt in our basti and men were
beaten. The police could not do anything. For
three days during that time we were very afraid,
some hid in the forests. A peace rally came to
our village. They have not returned. The case is
pending. No resolution has happened. If we are
left alone things might escalate. Then what?"
Hakim Bhai responds, "The RSS continues its
meetings in the Hindu hamlets regularly since the
incident. These meetings are not publicised, they
spread through word of mouth. We Muslims have now
made our own shops in the basti, we have
retreated to ourselves. Our women are afraid and
they do not want to go out of the basti. When we
go out Hindus call us names. Call us 'Pathans'.
We are becoming isolated." Shazia, a woman, adds,
"Even our dead cannot rest in peace."

The extent to which violence is inscribed
disproportionately on women's bodies and memories
is rarely named or languaged. A Muslim woman in
another district requests anonymity. She says,
"We came from Chhota Nagpur, displaced from a
mining town. Our village is surrounded by the
RSS. We live like moles, I teach my children to
be unseen. If we are quiet people will leave us
alone. The men, it is not easy for them. Last
month there was violence in our village. Bajrang
Bali's called us names, they threatened we would
never work again. Said we were dirty, that when
we kill cows, we do violence to Hinduism. They
said they were watching us. My husband came back,
shaken. He brought fear with him into the house.
He forced me to have intercourse. It was not
about intimacy, it is about power, about feeling
helpless and wanting control. So, here it is, in
our kitchen, in our bedroom, in our home. Even as
we wait for it to strike, it already has."

The violence that accompanies Hinduism is not
new. Hindutva is its variant. It is not about
groups and peoples, but about the country, who
belongs and who doesn't. The imbrication of state
disregard for Adivasi and Dalit human rights with
the grassroots mobilisation of Hindutva make
Muslims, Christians, Dalits, Adivasis, women's
rights volatile in Orissa.

Hindutva corroborates the impairment of women's
rights that are already structurally limited in
Orissa, together with women's access to land,
livelihood and well-being resources. A host of
xenophobic women's organisations are in place,
including the BJP Mohila Morcha and the Rashtriya
Sevika Samiti. Established in 1936, the Rashtriya
Sevika Samiti has been active in the crusade
against cow slaughter in Orissa. The Samiti
organises state and district level meetings, as
well as daily and weekly sakha and prayer meets
in villages, towns and cities "to encourage
physical education, intellectual development,
mental acumen".

Bidyut Lata Raja, leader of the Rashtriya Sevika
Samiti, says that the parivar helps discipline
the mind and weans people from 'pointless'
activity. She says that the parivar functions as
a family, each taking care of the other. "The
parivar seeks to create unity. Dalits and
Adivasis say that Hindus are outsiders. How can
that be? We must create consciousness that we are
all one." They seek to complement economic
development with building moral character to
unite India through shared nationalism. The
Samiti supervises Balmandirs and Udyog Mandirs,
celebrates the anniversaries of influential sangh
leaders and religious festivals, hosts classes on
culture and ethics, organises Bhajan and Kirtan
recitals, and runs women's schools and hostels.
The Samiti concentrates its volunteer-based
social work services in Adivasi areas, seeking to
bring 'enlightenment'.

The Rashtriya Sevika Samiti seeks to organise and
train women in self-defence, "to increase their
physical and mental capacity to encourage them to
protect their nation, dharma and culture".
Stringently heterosexist and mired in sexism, the
Samiti is dedicated to supporting women in their
youth, in marriage and motherhood, work, and
leadership, indoctrinating the practice of
Hindutva as patriotic, the saffron flag as the
national emblem, insisting on the loyalty of its
followers to their husbands, families and the
Hindutva leadership.

The sangh parivar asserts that relations between
higher caste, Dalit and Adivasi groups have
improved in rural Orissa. It ignores that lower
class and caste and Adivasi people are seldom
acknowledged as social equals. In an interesting
display, while all residents of a particular
village, including Adivasis, may contribute
financially to the major annual Hindu pujas
(prayers), higher caste people control the
preparations and ceremony. It may be appropriate
for a member of the Dalit or Muslim community, if
invited, to eat at a general caste home usually
seated in a demarcated space, and internalise the
invitation as demonstrative of the 'charity' and
'tolerance' of the upper caste toward 'lower
caste' people. The reverse is nearly impossible.
Inter-caste alliances, marriage between
non-comparable social castes, are more evident
even while often socially ostracised.

Associations among Hindus and non-Hindus remain
strained in the state and frequently prohibited.
In upper caste rural Orissa, poor Muslim
communities are as socially unacceptable as
Adivasis, and constitute a 'lower' social strata
than Dalits. Gender and ethnicity are central to
how resources and power are allocated and rights
disbursed, both nationally and locally, and are
salient to the organisation of legal, cultural,
economic and political infrastructure and
institutions. The imposition of Brahminical
language, ritual and memory seeks to incorporate
the marginal into the dominant polity
simultaneous to segregationist arrangements for
water use, food and forest resource sharing.

BJP and sangh parivar organisations have a
significant strategy of manoeuvring Muslims in
middle class neighbourhoods and villages by
forming alliances with the local leadership. In
Banamalipur and Jadupur village, neighbouring
Bhubaneswar in Khurda district, Muslims leaders
spoke of their alliance with the BJP. Poor
communities in these villages say this allows
local Muslim politicians access to electoral
seats leaving the disenfranchised without
trustworthy representation. Minority resistance
is frail with few options, progressive Muslims
say. A Muslim activist from Bhubaneswar states,
"We are isolated. We do not want to identify with
the madrassas and we do not have a mass movement
that accepts us."

The actions of sangh organisations are often
triangulated, with parallel components for
edification, mobilisation and service. For
example, Vidya Bharati (known as Shiksha Vikas
Samiti) directs 391 Saraswati Shishu Mandir
schools in Orissa. Sangh students are inducted
into the cadre via a formal curriculum that
emphasises Hindu nationalism, along with informal
training in cultural values and defence. In
addition, these students and their families are
expected to volunteer in mobilisation and
developmental work, in local fundraising. They
are even expected to participate in temple
inaugurations.

Religion, development, polity and education are
used by sangh parivar organisations to facilitate
recruitment into Hindu extremism. An army of
parivar organisations fundraise abroad as
registered charities to support sectarian
development in India. Funds from the US and UK
amounting to millions of dollars were raised by
sangh organisations during the Gujarat earthquake
and Orissa cyclone, substantially aiding the
expansion of sangh networks in both states.

The US Commission on International Religious
Freedom recently designated India as a 'country
of particular concern', asking for US
investigations into RSS organisations registered
as charities in the US. India Development Relief
Fund is one such organisation that, post cyclone,
raised $90,660 for Sookruti, $23,255 for Orissa
Cyclone Rehabilitation Foundation, and $37,560
for Utkal Bipannya Sahayata Samiti, as documented
in the report 'Foreign Exchange of Hate' in 2002.

In the United Kingdom, Sewa International UK (the
fundraising wing of the Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh,
RSS equivalent in UK and US) sent a majority of
the £260,000 raised for cyclone relief to Utkal
Bipannya Sahayata Samiti, an RSS organisation in
Orissa, detailed in the report, 'In Bad Faith?
British Charity and Hindu Extremism' by Awaaz,
2004. Currently, Utkal Bipannya Sahayata Samiti
undertakes sectarian disaster relief work and has
been working with approximately 50,000
beneficiaries after the floods of 2001, funded by
RSS organisations abroad.

RSS cadres mobilise sakhas around minority
villages in Orissa. Each sakha begins with an
organiser and a few members who meticulously
monitor the area, teaching people to describe
themselves as 'communal', a new identity that
denotes Hindu cultural pride. Minorities worry
as, under the watchful eye of the RSS, cricket
conflicts, harmless fracas between children's
winning and losing teams, turn into communal
skirmishes. Green flags of stars and crescent
used by madrassas are depicted as adhering to
Pakistan, linked to terrorism and the Inter
Services Intelligence.

VHP, RSS and Bajrang Dal leaders and their cadre
in Orissa reiterate that charges of
fundamentalism cannot apply to Hindutva. It is
not an ideology, they say, but integral practice,
a lifestyle for nationhood. Hindutva functions as
a meta narrative in manufacturing foundational
truths to build and govern the nation. Hindutva
assimilates the plural traditions within Hinduism
to create a narrow centralised code that promises
to unite Hindus. These principles are
universalistic, in action segregationist. This
strategy thwarts the complex search for cultural
identity that confronts the vast diversity of
peoples in India living at the pre and post
modern intersections of nation making and
globalism.

Hindutva justifies practices of domination in
ways that ignore the power dynamics of its
discourse. There is no pluralism in its agenda -
Hindutva is the only 'right' way to be human
within its specified territory, any other must be
annihilated. Hindutva invokes difference and
plurality in the name of domination. What are the
effects of Hindutva's discourse? Hate. Cruelty.
Terror. To realise its mission, Hindutva,
anathema to democracy, defines minority interests
as oppositional to Hindu, and therefore national,
interest. The struggles for justice of marginal
groups organised around ethnicity, religion,
class, caste, tribe, gender, or culture become
hostile to national unity.

Elite aspirations in nation making, the
annexation of territory and resources from the
disempowered, the imposition of violent
ideologies and alienating identities, and
subaltern resistance, have produced contested
meanings and practices of democracy. Through the
amassment of identity politics, reinvention of
history, the normalisation of difference, the
extension of its power into private and social
life, Hindu majoritarianism exhibits scorn for
those it finds unincorporable and inassimilable
into its governing imaginary. Hindu nationalism
is aided by the State as it operates as legatee
to its imperial coloniser, inheriting and
modifying its biopolitics.

What are the reasons for Hindutva's conquest in
rural and urban Orissa? What prevents a resonant
secular counter-response? Praveen Togadia,
international secretary of the VHP, visited
Jajpur on February 16 and Beherampur on February
29, continuing his seditious campaign for
Hindutva amidst rousing protests from local
groups. Since the assembly elections, the BJP has
gained in strength. As Orissa gears up for the
next round, the BJP is using the 'jal, jungle,
zameen' (water, forest, land) platform,
appropriated from land reform movements, to
persuade Adivasis in Orissa. The Vanavasi Kalyan
Ashram is the key strategist and organiser for
the BJP in the Tribal belt. Having won
Chhattisgarh, the BJP is confident. Tribal
culture is being glorified as artefact,
objectified, made distant from its political
reality while the relentless decimation of these
very cultures continues.

Subash Chouhan of the Bajrang Dal resumes, "We in
the VHP believe that this country belongs to the
Hindus. It is not a dharamsala [guesthouse] and
people cannot just come here and settle down and
do whatever they want. That is not going to
happen. We will not let that happen. Whatever
happens here will happen with the consent of the
Hindus. If you come to another's house and live
as a guest and then start doing what you please,
that is not going to happen. Whatever happens
here, say politics happen, it will have to be
Hindutva politics, with Hindutva's consent. India
is a world power, what is in India is nowhere
else, and we want to create India nicely in the
image of Ram Rajya."

Hindutva's production of culture and nation
escalates, celebrated by breakdown, rupture,
violence. As I write this, the second year closes
on Gujarat. Justice remains beyond reach for
Muslim minorities in the complex duplicity of
State negligence, judicial oversight, and the
deep fragmentation of the political community in
India. Gujarat represents an end and a beginning,
a marker in Hindutva's malevolent reach for a
Hindu State. The end of lives, the culmination of
brutality. I am reminded of a Dalit boy, age
eight, in a decimated colony in Ahmedabad, in
June 2002, who said, "I am not afraid of death. I
am frightened by life. Look what happens in
life," as Muslim and Dalit women stared each
other into silence across a boundary wall.

(Angana Chatterji is associate professor of
Social and Cultural Anthropology at the
California Institute of Integral Studies. She is
currently completing a book on this subject,
titled, 'Violent Gods. Hindu Nationalism in
India's Present', forthcoming from Three Essays
Press Collective in Delhi).

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
The complete SACW archive is available at:
bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative, provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW:  snipurl.com/sacip
See also associated site: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org