SACW | June 25-26, 2008 / Pakistan: Lawyers / India: Security forces, culture of impunity

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:33:32 CDT 2008

South Asia Citizens Wire | June 25-26 , 2008 |
Dispatch No. 2530 - Year 10 running

[1] Pakistan:
   (i) Lessons of the long march (Mohammad Waseem)
   (ii) Whatever is to become of the Movement for Justice
a letter to activists of the People's Resistance by Dr. Awab Alvi
  (iii) By not spearheading the lawyers' movement,
the PPP has made a big political mistake (Arif
Azad)
[2] Challenges, risks, and obligations for women (Rounaq Jahan)
[3] India:
- Addressing the issue of enforced disappearances (Mukul Sharma)
- Security forces, culture of impunity behind
fake killings (Editorial , Kashmir Times)
- Chhattisgarh Redux (Nandini Sundar)
[4] India: Frontline Defenders ALERT: Re harassment of Kashmir Tribunal
[5] India: Let's stop at partial recall (Ajay K. Mehra)
[6] India - Kerala: Textbook in religion row
- Jeevan, the casteless (The secular schoolbook lesson)
[7] India: Gujarat State The Freedom of
Expression Conference Resolution and Memo to
Governor
[8] Announcements:
Amnesty International Roundtable (New Delhi, 26 June 2008)

______

[1] Pakistan:

Dawn
June 28, 2008

LESSONS OF THE LONG MARCH

by Mohammad Waseem

THE great show of solidarity with the judiciary
from June 10 to 15 ended not with a bang but with
a whimper. Nothing can be more offensive to the
leaders and organisers of the long march than
being blamed for turning back from their
commitment to lay siege to the corridors of power
till they achieve their objectives. They never
promised that.

But, scepticism about the efficacy of the whole
strategy of the long march has crept into the
minds of at least some of the leaders at the top
of the movement itself, apart from others from
the media, the political class and civil society.

The march was a genuine outburst of anger against
a series of illegal actions taken by President
Musharraf from March 9 till Nov 3, 2007. It was a
tribute to the intellectual, organisational and
financial commitment of the lawyers' community to
the noble cause of the restoration of the
judiciary. The march exhibited a superb sense of
collective leadership, and a sense of shared
responsibility on the part of the leaders and
their followers. The picture fitted the frame.

But the question is, to what end? This has been
answered in multiple ways by people from within
and outside the march. The leadership replied on
a positive note; it believes that the objective
of building pressure on the powers that be on the
judges issue has been achieved. But, some
lawyers, many journalists and a large number of
participants from the civil society interpret it
as a lost opportunity. In hindsight, one finds
two things missing in the whole spectacle:
firstly, there was no strategy to achieve the
goal of putting the judges back in the courts in
the form of either a sit-in or a blockade, or
lobbying as a pressure group or conducting
negotiations. Second, there was no policy on the
target of the long march, whether it was the
President House or Parliament House or Army House.

In terms of strategy, the black coats movement
failed to devise a plan beyond a show of street
power. No sit-in was on the agenda, possibly
because it would have been difficult to sustain
it after a while in terms of numbers, momentum
and newsworthiness. To lay siege needed a
commitment of a much-higher order, such as in the
case of Shia activism in 1980.

In the weeks and months before the march, the
leaders of the movement had consistently lobbied
but failed to elicit a favourable response from
the government. Similarly, no elaborate
preparations were made to enter serious
negotiations with the PPP leadership. In the
absence of a strategy, it boiled down to a shot
in the dark with a hope that sheer numbers on the
street would deliver.

In the light of a long delay in the restoration
of judges, protagonists of the cause wanted to
put their entire weight behind the long march to
achieve their objective. Others, especially from
the media and political parties, cautioned the
lawyers against measures that could weaken
parliament and harm democracy. The leadership
seemed to take two steps forward and one step
back.

Who was the target of the long march? President
Musharraf did it all. But, he was already
relegated to a secondary role in the power
structure. He could not bring the judges back to
their positions even if, in theory, he wanted to
do so. Why was parliament projected to be the
target? Was a new law to be passed or a new
amendment sought? It was amazingly naive to
target the parliament. In the end, even the
parliament was not really targeted, unless
gathering in the parade ground can be construed
to mean that.

Prime Minister Gilani was conspicuous by his
absence from the political scene altogether. It
was a tacit recognition of the fact that the
chief executive did not carry authority of his
office with him. He was neither a part of the
controversy nor the target of public anger. The
lawyers' leadership comprehensively missed out on
delineating the target of their great show of
discipline, commitment and solidarity.

In the first phase, the movement upheld what was
essentially a legal cause. The case in the
Supreme Judicial Council, later Supreme Court,
against rendering the chief justice
non-functional remained a constant point of
reference in the movement. Lawyers were able to
make a common cause with the civil society, the
media and to some extent the political community.

In the second phase after the emergency, when
sixty judges were sent home in an overtly
extra-constitutional measure, the movement
widened its scope to join the political parties
in protest. The third phase after the formation
of governments in the centre and provinces from
April onwards obfuscated the whole situation.
Partners of yesterday stood opposite each other.
Partners within the coalition spoke with two
faces.

What will happen now? Will the bar associations
be able to mobilise lawyers and the public at
large within a few weeks or months? Loss of
momentum on June 15 is critical in this respect.
People saw no tangible gain after their huge
mental and physical input. PPP lawyers are caught
between two loyalties. Meanwhile, other issues
such as inflation and shortage of food items and
electricity are potential competitors when it
comes to attracting people's attention and
energies.

All this poses a great challenge to the
leadership of the legal fraternity in terms of
its credibility; and the judges' issue is staring
it in the face. Will it or will it not deliver on
this count? Will it reconcile with half-way
measures such as the provision for 29 judges of
the Supreme Court and other 'soft' provisions in
the envisioned constitutional package? Will the
movement be overtaken by events? Alternatively,
do lawyers have other strategies up their sleeve
to restore the judges to their rightful
positions, and the country to a respectable
position in the comity of nations?

(ii)