SACW | Jan. 25-26, 2008 / Listening To Grasshoppers - Arundhati Roy / Pakistan: Steve Coll / Sarkozy Undermining Secularism - Regis Debray / World Social Forum Sri Lanka 2008

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:26:33 CST 2008

South Asia Citizens Wire | January 25-26, 2008 |
Dispatch No. 2493 - Year 10 running

[1] Pakistan: Secular Space Shrinking
   (i) Armed and Dangerous: The growing violence in Pakistan (Steve Coll)
   (ii) The Sharia caveat (Editorial, Dawn)
  (iii) Disaster in the making (Editorial, The News)
[2] Bangladesh - military-controlled: Consensus
needed, not confusion (Editorial, New Age)
[3] India: Statement on Bilkis Bano Judgment by Concerned Citizens
[4] India: Republic Day Parade - State Displays
of Pomp Are Archaic (Times of India)
[5] Essay: Listening To Grasshoppers - Genocide,
Denial And Celebration (Arundhati Roy)
[6] France: [Sarkozy Undermining Secularism]
Malaise dans La Civilisation (Regis Debray)
[7] Announcements:
(i) World Social Forum Sri Lanka 2008 (Colombo, 26 January 2008)
(ii) Straight Talk - Elections 2008 (Karachi, 30 January 2008)
(iii) 1857 Special Lectures at Delhi University
- Rudrangshu Mukherjee (Delhi, January 25, 2008)
- Margit Pernau (Delhi, February 20, 2008)

______

[1]   Pakistan:

(i) New Yorker - 25 January 2008

Audio
ARMED AND DANGEROUS: THE GROWING VIOLENCE IN PAKISTAN

with Steve Coll

http://downloads.newyorker.com/mp3/outloud/080128_outloud_coll.mp3

(ii) Dawn - January 25, 2008

Editorial

THE SHARIA CAVEAT

THE caretaker Frontier government's draft
regulation for replacing the existing law in the
districts of Swat, Dir and Chitral with Sharia
law comes infested with flaws, not least of which
is the error of judgment. Setting aside the moral
aspect of an interim, unelected and controversial
government making such sweeping changes, it is
the ramifications of the move that will haunt the
governments to come in the years ahead. The
proposed quick fix to appease the militants
holding sway in the said districts must be
resisted. Such moves based on political
exigencies cannot offer a lasting solution of the
problem at hand. Worse still, if the past is any
guide, they compound the trouble even further.
That's precisely what happened in Malakand Agency
in 1999. The ill-advised Shar'i Nizam-i-Adl
Regulation, ostensibly based on the Sharia, and
promulgated back then with the intent of calming
down Sufi Mohammed and his fanatic followers,
just backfired with a bigger bang. It egged the
extremists on to seek more and more political
power, not through the ballot, but on the back of
their misguided zeal - ironically, in the way of
God. The ongoing extremist insurgency in Swat now
being led by Sufi's cleric son-in-law Fazlullah
is but the culmination of the wrong policy
adopted in 1999 to try to appease the Islamic
militants. The government's carrot and stick
policy with regard to growing extremist militancy
failed then; no, it boomeranged, and it is doomed
to failure now if tried again.

Since the time of Gen Ziaul Haq, the state has
been a party to spreading obscurantism alongside
the largely semi-literate and myopic country
mullahs. Even mainstream religious and
non-religious parties have lent a helping hand in
perpetuating the unfair and unjust state of
affairs. Most so-called religious laws put on the
statute for whatever reasons have been made part
of the basic law without having been properly
debated in an elected legislature. This ad hoc
approach must be dispensed with, not only because
it has created a parallel judicial system, but
also because such laws have been widely abused to
punish the victims rather than the criminals, as
is more than evident in the case of the Hudood
Ordinances.

The religious extremists at best represent the
fringe of society, as elections that were ever
held have shown. Their demands do not find
resonance among the public at large, less so in
the absence of an elected legislature. Nothing
could be more dubious than promulgating Sharia
laws to lessen election-time volatility in Swat,
Dir and Chitral districts. It will open the
floodgates of such pressure being exerted by
those with a divine mission all around. The
federal government must stop its Frontier
counterpart in its tracks and scrap the draft law. Now.

(iii) The News - 25 January 2008

Editorial
DISASTER IN THE MAKING

The draft proposal by the NWFP government for a
regulation under which 'Qazi' courts would be set
up in Swat, Dir and Chitral appears to be the
outcome of some particularly poor thinking.
Rather than taking the people of these areas
towards life in a modern age and providing them
with access to justice and the basic rights that
they deserve as citizens, the move seems to be
designed to push them still deeper into an age of
medieval darkness.

Much like the almost identical Nizam-e-Adl
regulations introduced in Malakand in 1999, as
part of a truce reached with TNSM chief Sufi
Muhammad, the latest plan is ostensibly intended
to appease militant sentiments in these areas.
The fact that the militants in fact depend for
their success on opposing the administration and
will almost certainly find one means or another
to attack the new courts seems not to have dawned
on planners. Just as the accord with Sufi
Muhammad failed, and other similar efforts have
floundered elsewhere, this move too seems
destined to meet an identical fate. Through it,
the administration will in fact face the anger of
both the religious right, who will never be
satisfied by government-led measures taken in the
name of religion, and liberal forces which see
the courts as yet another retrogressive step.

The many flaws in the basic structure of the
courts, including the question of the ability of
those to be entrusted with the task to dispense
justice according to laid-down norms, suggest
they will do nothing to improve the plight of the
people. The dubious concept of 'collective'
responsibility, included in the regulation, which
allows a DCO to act against a person, a group, a
community or a locality to establish peace,
carries with it ugly echoes of the draconian
Frontier Crimes Regulation (FCR) law, struck down
in PATA by superior courts nearly a decade ago.
The fact that such laws are frequently misused
raises the risks still higher. Setting up
different systems of justice in various parts of
the country carries with it many dangers. There
is a need to introduce greater cohesion in
national life, by granting people similar rights
and ending the immense differences in this
respect that exist between the provinces and the
regions within them, rather than widening this
gap through the establishment of parallel justice
systems. The risk that the move will give rise
for calls to expand the Qazi courts to other
parts of NWFP, and thus increase the hold of
obscurantism, is also very real.

What decision-makers must realize is that the key
to tackling the tightening militant hold on
northern parts of the country lies not in making
dodgy deals with them, or attempting to placate
them, but by pushing through policies that can
bring development and change in these areas. This
means focusing on the issues of education,
healthcare, employment and welfare that could do
a great deal to improve the lives of people.
Indeed, the fact that such amenities have been
denied to them for decades is one of the factors
that has led to the growth of militancy in parts
of NWFP. The problem as such can be resolved only
by undoing past wrongs, rather than seeking
'quick fixes' such as the Qazi courts, which will
only aggravate existing problems rather than
helping to solve them.

______

[2] Bangladesh

New Age

Editorial
CONSENSUS NEEDED, NOT CONFUSION

As is typical of any apolitical administrations
anywhere in the world, the military-controlled
interim government of Fakhruddin Ahmed went after
the political institutions immediately after its
assumption of office, making overt and covert
attempts to create divisions within the major
parties, especially the Bangladesh Nationalist
Party and the Awami League. Although its campaign
to redraw the political landscape has, of late,
appeared to be in a state of lull, it has
apparently had some success in inducing discord
of varying degrees in the leadership of the BNP
and the Awami League.
    The BNP, as it appears now, stands divided
into two factions - one under the secretary
general, Khandaker Delwar Hossain, and the other
under Saifur Rahman and M Hafizuddin Ahmed, who
were made acting chairman and secretary general
respectively at a dubious standing committee
meeting in late October 2007. Therefore, it
springs little surprise when one of the factions
unveils a six-point demand and urges its
loyalists to get prepared for programmes to
realise the demands, with the other remaining
rather non-committal.
    What is rather curious, however, is an
emerging difference of opinion between the top
leadership of the Awami League and the leaders of
its front organisations on the issue of a
movement to free the detained AL president,
Sheikh Hasina. As reported in New Age on January
24, acting AL president Zillur Rahman and other
top leaders rejected outright calls from within
the party for a movement for Hasina's release.
The top echelon of the party appears sympathetic
to the interim government and expressly in favour
of continuing the legal battle to have Hasina
freed, instead of a movement that some leaders of
its front organisations want to start building up
now.
    At a time when the people's democratic rights
remain suspended and the political process
stalled under a state of emergency, the political
parties that claim to be committed to democracy
and believe in the sovereignty of the people in
running the affairs of state need to reach a
broader consensus and renew their resolve to have
the fundamental rights of the people restored.
Simultaneously, they should do some serious
introspection and shrug off the attitude they
displayed vis-à-vis running the affairs of the
state and their respective parties in the years
preceding the declaration of the state of
emergency, which was largely undemocratic and
intolerant of opposing views. Therefore, they
should direct their activities at not only having
the people's fundamental rights restored, which,
needless to say, should begin with the withdrawal
of the state of emergency, but also democratising
their individual and collective conduct.

Media Release

Date January 25, 2008

STATEMENT ON BILKIS BANO JUDGMENT BY CONCERNED CITIZENS

The judgment in case of Bilkis Bano comes as a
great relief in the times when justice is being
denied to large section of society, more so to
the victims of communal violence. A pregnant
women who was gang raped, who witnessed the
brutal killing of her family members, stood firm
with grit and determination to seek justice with
the help of civil right group of Gujarat. Bilkis
herself deserves lot of praise for her courage.
The civil rights group based in Gujarat, which
took up the battle, needs to be appreciated for
the yeomen service it has done in the cause of
justice in Gujarat.

We welcome this judgment whole heartedly and hope
that similar justice is also given to innumerable
victims of the Gujarat carnage. While the Bilkis
case shows justice is possible it also shows how
difficult it is to get. While it shows that
elements of democracy are still alive, it also
shows how much compromised they are becoming with
the ascendance of communal mind set of section of
people and with the communalization of our state
apparatus, police, bureaucracy, judiciary and
polity. In a way the whole episode is a mirror to
what is happening in Gujarat. The state sponsored
pogrom in Gujarat has left the civic society
fractured along religious lines. The person and
party who led the carnage have got approval from
a section of society, as the victory of Modi in
2007 elections has shown. This erosion of
democratic norms and justice delivery system is a
matter of grave concern to all of us.

While Modi-BJP have already pushed their divisive
politics deep down in the society, it is
imperative that we restore back the values the
values of democracy, pluralism, and diversity,
the one's which are the base of our freedom
movement. It is necessary that the norms of
Indian Constitution, which seem to have been
damaged severely in different parts of the
country, more so in Gujarat, are restored back.

We urge upon all the concerned authorities to
take up the cases of innumerable other victims of
Gujarat carnage, reinvestigate if necessary, and
set up special court to try the culprits,
including Narendra Modi, whose role in the
carnage was the most dangerous of all. The
victims of Gujarat carnage are feeling helpless
and are crying out for help for getting them
justice, for getting them rehabilitated, for
getting them the equal citizenship rights, which
are due to all of us.

Prof. K.N.Pannikar, Ex Vice Chancelleor, Kaladi Uni, Kerala
Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer, Chairman CSSS
Prof. Ghanshyam Shah, Social scientist
Dr. Ram Puniyani, Sec. All India Secular Forum
Digant Oza, Journalist
Rohit Prajapati and Trupti Shah, PUCL Vadodara
Irfan Engineer, Director Institute of Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution
Uttam Parmar, Social activist
Harsh Mander, writer, social activist
Ajit Muricken, Director, Vikas Adhyan Kendra, Mumbai
Shabnam Hashmi, Social activist, member, National Integration Council

[Released from: 23, Canning Lane, New Delhi-110001, Tel-23070722/ 40]

Times of India

Does the state exist for the sake of its
citizens, or is it the other way round? Normal
lives of citizens are disrupted over several
working days in the national capital in January.

That's when rehearsals are staged for the January
26 Republic Day parade and the city's arterial
roads are blocked. The chief feature of the
parade is a display of India's military might,
including ballistic missiles.

This is surely a travesty of Gandhi's legacy,
which the state claims to uphold. Not to mention
that a congregation of such weaponry as well as
the nation's high dignitaries is a security
nightmare. Security inevitably goes into
overdrive on such occasions, which means acute
harassment for citizens and loss of precious
man-hours at work.

National day military parades have an archaic
feel in a modern democratic republic. It's an
announcement of the state's military readiness -
both to its own people and to the outside world -
that is more in line with the public style of
authoritarian states such as China, North Korea,
Iran and the Soviet Union.

In India's case, such displays may have been
justified in the early years after independence,
when there were doubts about whether it could
survive as a nation-state. It perhaps needed to
demonstrate that it was capable of defending
itself.

Such demonstrations are no longer needed. As a
confident and self-assured nation, India ought to
turn its national days into days of public
festivity instead of grim reminders of past
sacrifice and present destructive capabilities.

To be sure there are floats and tableaux,
representing the culture of India's states,
accompanying the Republic Day procession. Why
can't these form the entire parade? In other
countries, such occasions are often spontaneous
celebrations resulting from local initiative and
involving direct participation by citizens.

In India, religious festivals are of this type.
But why not have secular festivals on national
holidays where everybody can participate? That
would decrease the gulf between state and
citizen, between arrogant pomp and participatory
fun.

______

[6] [ An abridged version of a lecture delivered
by Arundhati Roy in Istanbul on January 18, 2008,
to commemorate the first anniversary of the
assassination of Hrant Dink, editor of the
Turkish-Armenian paper, Agos.]

LISTENING TO GRASSHOPPERS - GENOCIDE, DENIAL AND CELEBRATION

by Arundhati Roy

I never met Hrant Dink, a misfortune that will be
mine for time to come. From what I know of him,
of what he wrote, what he said and did, how he
lived his life, I know that had I been here in
Istanbul a year ago I would have been among the
one hundred thousand people who walked with his
coffin in dead silence through the wintry streets
of this city, with banners saying, "We are all
Armenians", "We are all Hrant Dink". Perhaps I'd
have carried the one that said, "One and a half
million plus one".*
[*One-and-a-half million is the number of
Armenians who were systematically murdered by the
Ottoman Empire in the genocide in Anatolia in the
spring of 1915. The Armenians, the largest
Christian minority living under Islamic Turkic
rule in the area, had lived in Anatolia for more
than 2,500 years.]

***
In a way, my battle is like yours.
But while in Turkey there's silence,
in India, there is celebration.
***
I wonder what thoughts would have gone through my
head as I walked beside his coffin. Maybe I would
have heard a reprise of the voice of Araxie
Barsamian, mother of my friend David Barsamian,
telling the story of what happened to her and her
family. She was ten years old in 1915. She
remembered the swarms of grasshoppers that
arrived in her village, Dubne, which was north of
the historic city Dikranagert, now Diyarbakir.
The village elders were alarmed, she said,
because they knew in their bones that the
grasshoppers were a bad omen. They were right;
the end came in a few months, when the wheat in
the fields was ready for harvesting.

"When we left...(we were) 25 in the family,"
Araxie Barsamian says. "They took all the men
folks. They asked my father, 'Where is your
ammunition?' He says, 'I sold it.' So they says,
'Go get it.' So he went to the Kurd town to get
it, they beat him and took all his clothes. When
he came back there-this my mother tells me
story-when he came back there, naked body, he
went in the jail, they cut his arms...so he die
in jail.

And they took all the mens in the field, they
tied their hands, and they shooted, killed every
one of them."

Araxie and the other women in her family were
deported. All of them perished except Araxie. She
was the lone survivor.

This is, of course, a single testimony that comes
from a history that is denied by the Turkish
government, and many Turks as well.

I am not here to play the global intellectual, to
lecture you, or to fill the silence in this
country that surrounds the memory (or the
forgetting) of the events that took place in
Anatolia in 1915. That is what Hrant Dink tried
to do, and paid for with his life.

***
Most genocidal killing from the 15th century onwards
has been part of Europe's search for lebensraum.
***
The day I arrived in Istanbul, I walked the
streets for many hours, and as I looked around,
envying the people of Istanbul their beautiful,
mysterious, thrilling city, a friend pointed out
to me young boys in white caps who seemed to have
suddenly appeared like a rash in the city. He
explained that they were expressing their
solidarity with the child-assassin who was
wearing a white cap when he killed Hrant.

The battle with the cap-wearers of Istanbul, of
Turkey, is not my battle, it's yours. I have my
own battles to fight against other kinds of
cap-wearers and torchbearers in my country. In a
way, the battles are not all that different.
There is one crucial difference, though. While in
Turkey there is silence, in India there's
celebration, and I really don't know which is
worse.

In the state of Gujarat, there was a genocide
against the Muslim community in 2002.

I use the word Genocide advisedly, and in keeping
with its definition contained in Article 2 of the
United Nations Convention on the Prevention and
Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. The genocide
began as collective punishment for an unsolved
crime-the burning of a railway coach in which 53
Hindu pilgrims were burned to death. In a
carefully planned orgy of supposed retaliation,
2,000 Muslims were slaughtered in broad daylight
by squads of armed killers, organised by fascist
militias, and backed by the Gujarat government
and the administration of the day. Muslim women
were gang-raped and burned alive.

	Muslim shops, Muslim businesses and
Muslim shrines and mosques were systematically
destroyed. Some 1,50,000 people were driven from
their homes.

Even today, many of them live in ghettos-some
built on garbage heaps-with no water supply, no
drainage,
no streetlights, no healthcare. They live as
second-class citizens, boycotted socially and
economically. Meanwhile, the killers, police as
well as civilian, have been embraced, rewarded,
promoted. This state of affairs is now considered
'normal'. To seal the 'normality', in 2004, both
Ratan Tata and Mukesh Ambani, India's leading
industrialists, publicly pronounced Gujarat a
dream destination for finance capital.

The initial outcry in the national press has
settled down. In Gujarat, the genocide has been
brazenly celebrated as the epitome of Gujarati
pride, Hindu-ness, even Indian-ness.
This poisonous brew has been used twice in a row
to win state elections, with campaigns that have
cleverly used the language and apparatus of
modernity and democracy. The helmsman, Narendra
Modi, has become a folk hero, called in by the
BJP to campaign on its behalf in other Indian
states.

As genocides go, the Gujarat genocide cannot
compare with the people killed in the Congo,
Rwanda and Bosnia, where the numbers run into
millions, nor is it by any means the first that
has occurred in India. (In 1984, for instance,
3,000 Sikhs were massacred on the streets of
Delhi with similar impunity, by killers overseen
by the Congress Party.) But the Gujarat genocide
is part of a larger, more elaborate and
systematic vision. It tells us that the wheat is
ripening and the grasshoppers have landed in
mainland India.

It's an old human habit, genocide is. It has
played a sterling part in the march of
civilisation. Amongst the earliest recorded
genocides is thought to be the destruction of
Carthage at the end of the Third Punic War in 149
BC. The word itself-genocide-was coined by
Raphael Lemkin only in 1943, and adopted by the
United Nations in 1948, after the Nazi Holocaust.
Article 2 of the United Nations Convention on the
Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of
Genocide defines it as:

     "Any of the following Acts committed with
intent to destroy, in whole or part, a national,
ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
killing members of the group; causing serious
bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
deliberately inflicting on the group conditions
of life, calculated to bring about its physical
destruction in whole or part; imposing measures
intended to prevent births within the group; [or]
forcibly transferring children of the group to
another group."

Since this definition leaves out the persecution
of political dissidents, real or imagined, it
does not include some of the greatest mass
murders in history. Personally I think the
definition by Frank Chalk and Kurt Jonassohn,
authors of The History and Sociology of Genocide,
is more apt.

Genocide, they say, "is a form of one-sided mass
killing in which a state or other authority
intends to destroy a group, as that group and
membership in it are defined by the perpetrator."
Defined like this, genocide would include, for
example, the monumental crimes committed by
Suharto in Indonesia (1 million) Pol Pot in
Cambodia (1.5 million), Stalin in the Soviet
Union (60 million), Mao in China (70 million).

All things considered, the word extermination,
with its crude evocation of pests and vermin, of
infestations, is perhaps the more honest, more
apposite word. When a set of perpetrators faces
its victims, in order to go about its business of
wanton killing, it must first sever any human
connection with it. It must see its victims as
sub-human, as parasites whose eradication would
be a service to society. Here, for example, is an
account of the massacre of Pequot Indians by
English Puritans led by John Mason in Connecticut
in 1636:

     Those that escaped the fire were slaine with
the sword; some hewed to peeces, others rune
throw with their rapiers, so they were quickly
dispatchte, and very few escaped. It was
conceived they thus destroyed about 400 at this
time. It was a fearful sight to see them thus
frying in the fyre, and the streams of blood
quenching the same, and horrible was the stincke
and sente thereof, but the victory seemed a
sweete sacrifice....

And here, approximately four centuries later, is
Babu Bajrangi, one of the major lynchpins of the
Gujarat genocide, recorded on camera in the sting
operation mounted by Tehelka a few months ago:

     We didn't spare a single Muslim shop, we set
everything on fire...hacked, burned, set on
fire...we believe in setting them on fire because
these bastards don't want to be cremated, they're
afraid of it.... I have just one last wish...let
me be sentenced to death...I don't care if I'm
hanged...just give me two days before my hanging
and I will go and have a field day in Juhapura
where seven or eight lakhs of these people
stay...I will finish them off...let a few more of
them die...at least 25,000 to 50,000 should die.

I hardly need to say that Babu Bajrangi had the
blessings of Narendra Modi, the protection of the
police, and the love of his people. He continues
to work and prosper as a free man in Gujarat. The
one crime he cannot be accused of is Genocide
Denial.

Genocide Denial is a radical variation on the
theme of the old, frankly racist, bloodthirsty
triumphalism. It was probably evolved as an
answer to the somewhat patchy dual morality that
arose in the 19th century, when Europe was
developing limited but new forms of democracy and
citizens' rights at home while simultaneously
exterminating people in their millions in her
colonies. Suddenly countries and governments
began to deny or attempt to hide the genocides
they had committed. "Denial is saying, in
effect," says Professor Robert Jay Lifton, author
of Hiroshima and America: Fifty Years of Denial,
"that the murderers did not murder. The victims
weren't killed. The direct consequence of denial
is that it invites future genocide."

Of course today, when genocide politics meets the
Free Market, official recognition-or denial-of
holocausts and genocides is a multinational
business enterprise. It rarely has anything to do
to with historical fact or forensic evidence.
Morality certainly does not enter the picture. It
is an aggressive process of high-end bargaining,
that belongs more to the World Trade Organisation
than to the United Nations.

The currency is geopolitics, the fluctuating
market for natural resources, that curious thing
called futures trading and plain old economic and
military might.

In other words, genocides are often denied for
the same set of reasons as genocides are
prosecuted. Economic determinism marinated in
racial/ethnic/religious/national discrimination.
Crudely, the lowering or raising of the price of
a barrel of oil (or a tonne of uranium),
permission granted for a military base, or the
opening up of a country's economy could be the
decisive factor when governments adjudicate on
whether a genocide did or did not occur.

	Or indeed whether genocide will or will
not occur. And if it does, whether it will or
will not be reported, and if it is, then what
slant that reportage will take. For example, the
death of two million in the Congo goes virtually
unreported. Why? And was the death of a million
Iraqis under the sanctions regime, prior to the
US invasion, genocide (which is what Denis
Halliday, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator for
Iraq, called it) or was it 'worth it', as
Madeleine Albright, the US ambassador to the UN,
claimed? It depends on who makes the rules. Bill
Clinton? Or an Iraqi mother who has lost her
child?

Since the United States is the richest and most
powerful country in the world, it has assumed the
privilege of being the World's Number One
Genocide Denier. It continues to celebrate
Columbus Day, the day Christopher Columbus
arrived in the Americas, which marks the
beginning of a Holocaust that wiped out millions
of native Indians, about 90 per cent of the
original population.
(Lord Amherst, the man whose idea it was to
distribute blankets infected with smallpox virus
to Indians, has a university town in
Massachusetts, and a prestigious liberal arts
college named after him).

In America's second Holocaust, almost

30 million Africans were kidnapped and sold into
slavery. Well near half of them died during
transportation. But in 2002, the US delegation
could still walk out of the World Conference
Against Racism in Durban, refusing to acknowledge
that slavery and the slave trade were crimes.
Slavery, they insisted, was legal at the time.
The US has also refused to accept that the
bombing of Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden
and Hamburg-which killed hundreds of thousands of
civilians-were crimes, let alone acts of
genocide. (The argument here is that the
government didn't intend to kill civilians. This
was the first stage in the development of the
concept of "collateral damage".) Since the end of
World War II, the US government has intervened
overtly, militarily, more than 400 times in 100
countries, and covertly more than 6,000 times.
This includes its invasion of Vietnam and the
extermination, with excellent intentions of
course, of three million Vietnamese
(approximately 10 per cent of its population).

None of these has been acknowledged as war crimes or genocidal acts.

"The question is," says Robert MacNamara-whose
career graph took him from the bombing of Tokyo
in 1945 (1,00,000 dead overnight) to being the
architect of the Vietnam War, to President of the
World Bank-now sitting in his comfortable chair
in his comfortable home in his comfortable
country, "the question is, how much evil do you
have to do in order to do good?"

Could there be a more perfect illustration of
Robert Jay Lifton's point that the denial of
genocide invites more genocide?

And what when victims become perpetrators? (In
Rwanda, in the Congo?) What remains to be said
about Israel, created out of the debris of one of
the cruellest genocides in human history? What of
its actions in the Occupied Territories? Its
burgeoning settlements, its colonisation of
water, its new 'Security Wall' that separates
Palestinian people from their farms, from their
work, from their relatives, from their children's
schools, from hospitals and healthcare? It is
genocide in a fishbowl, genocide in slow
motion-meant especially to illustrate that
section of Article 2 of the United Nations
Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of
the Crime of Genocide, which says that genocide
is any act that is designed to "deliberately
inflict on the group conditions of life,
calculated to bring about its physical
destruction in whole or part".

The history of genocide tells us that it's not an
aberration, an anomaly, a glitch in the human
system.

Most of the genocidal killing from the 15th
century onwards has been an integral part of
Europe's search for what the Germans famously
called
Lebensraum-living space. Lebensraum was a word
coined by the German geographer and zoologist
Freidrich Ratzel to describe what he thought of
as the dominant human species' natural impulse to
expand its territory in its search for not just
space, but sustenance. This impulse to expansion
would naturally be at the cost of a less dominant
species, a weaker species that Nazi ideologues
believed should give way, or be made to give way,
to the stronger one.

The idea of lebensraum was set out in precise
terms in 1901, but Europe had already begun her
quest for lebensraum 400 years earlier, when
Columbus landed in America.
The search for lebensraum also took Europeans to
Africa: unleashing holocaust after holocaust. The
Germans exterminated almost the entire population
of the Hereros in Southwest Africa; while in the
Congo, the Belgians' "experiment in commercial
expansion" cost

10 million lives. By the last quarter of the 19th
century, the British had exterminated the
aboriginal people of Tasmania, and of most of
Australia.

Sven Lindqvist, author of Exterminate the Brutes,
argues that it was Hitler's quest for
lebensraum-in a world that had already been
carved up by other European countries-that led
the Nazis to push through Eastern Europe and on
toward Russia. The Jews of Eastern Europe and
western Russia stood in the way of Hitler's
colonial ambitions. Therefore, like the native
people of Africa and America and Asia, they had
to be enslaved or liquidated. So, Lindqvist says,
the Nazis' racist dehumanisation of Jews cannot
be dismissed as a paroxysm of insane evil. Once
again, it is a product of the familiar mix:
economic determinism well marinated in age-old
racism, very much in keeping with European
tradition of the time.

It's not a coincidence that the political party
that carried out the Armenian genocide in the
Ottoman Empire, was called the Committee for
Union & Progress.

'Union' (racial/ethnic/religious/national) and
'Progress' (economic determinism) have long been
the twin coordinates of genocide.

Armed with this reading of history, is it
reasonable to worry about whether a country that
is poised on the threshold of "progress" is also
poised on the threshold of genocide? Could the
India being celebrated all over the world as a
miracle of progress and democracy, possibly be
poised on the verge of committing genocide? The
mere suggestion might sound outlandish and, at
this point of time, the use of the word genocide
surely unwarranted. However, if we look to the
future, and if the Tsars of Development believe
in their own publicity, if they believe that
There Is No Alternative to their chosen model for
Progress, then they will inevitably have to kill,
and kill in large numbers, in order to get their
way.

Advani's chariot of fire: And so the Union project was launched

In bits and pieces, as the news trickles in, it
seems clear that the killing and the dying has
already begun.

It was in 1989, soon after the collapse of the
Soviet Union, that the Government of India turned
in its membership of the Non-Aligned Movement and
signed up for membership of the Completely
Aligned, often referring to itself as the
'natural ally' of Israel and the United States.
(They have at least this one thing in common-all
three are engaged in overt, neo-colonial military
occupations: India in Kashmir, Israel in
Palestine, the US in Iraq.)

Almost like clockwork, the two major national
political parties, the BJP and the Congress,
embarked on a joint programme to advance India's
version of Union and Progress, whose modern-day
euphemisms are Nationalism and Development. Every
now and then, particularly during elections, they
stage noisy familial squabbles, but have managed
to gather into their fold even grumbling
relatives, like the Communist Party of India
(Marxist).

The Union project offers Hindu Nationalism (which
seeks to unite the Hindu vote, vital you will
admit, for a great democracy like India). The
Progress project aims at a 10 per cent annual
growth rate. Both these projects are encrypted
with genocidal potential.

The Union project has been largely entrusted to
the RSS, the ideological heart, the holding
company of the BJP and its militias, the Vishwa
Hindu Parishad and the Bajrang Dal. The RSS was
founded in 1925. By the 1930s, its founder, Dr
Hedgewar, a fan of Benito Mussolini, had begun to
model it overtly along the lines of Italian
fascism. Hitler too was, and is, an inspirational
figure. Here are some excerpts from the RSS
Bible, We or Our Nationhood Defined by M.S.
Golwalkar, who succeeded Dr Hedgewar as head of
the RSS in 1940:

     Ever since that evil day, when Moslems first
landed in Hindustan, right up to the present
moment, the Hindu Nation has been gallantly
fighting on to take on these despoilers. The Race
Spirit has been awakening.

Then:

     In Hindustan, land of the Hindus, lives and
should live the Hindu Nation.... All others are
traitors and enemies to the National Cause, or,
to take a charitable view, idiots....

     The foreign races in Hindustan...may stay in
the country, wholly subordinated to the Hindu
Nation, claiming nothing, deserving no
privileges, far less any preferential
treatment-not even citizen's rights.

And again:

     To keep up the purity of its race and
culture, Germany shocked the world by her purging
the country of the Semitic races-the Jews.

Race pride at its highest has been manifested
here...a good lesson for us in Hindustan to learn
and profit by.

(How do you combat this kind of organised hatred?
Certainly not with goofy preachings of secular
love.)

By the year 2000, the RSS had more than 45,000
shakhas and an army of seven million swayamsevaks
preaching its doctrine across India. They include
India's former prime minister, Atal Behari
Vajpayee, the former home minister and current
leader of the Opposition, L.K. Advani, and, of
course, the three-times Gujarat chief minister,
Narendra Modi. It also includes senior people in
the media, the police, the army, the intelligence
agencies, judiciary and the administrative
services who are informal devotees of
Hindutva-the RSS ideology. These people, unlike
politicians who come and go, are permanent
members of government machinery.

But the RSS's real power lies in the fact that it
has put in decades of hard work and has created a
network of organisations at every level of
society, something that no other organisation can
claim.

The BJP is its political front. It has a trade
union wing (Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh), a women's
wing (Rashtriya Sevika Samiti), a student wing
(Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad) and an
economic wing (Swadeshi Jagaran Manch).

Its front organisation Vidya Bharati is the
largest educational organisation in the
non-governmental sector. It has 13,000
educational institutes including the Saraswati
Vidya Mandir schools with 70,000 teachers and
over 1.7 million students. It has organisations
working with tribals (Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram),
literature (Akhil Bharatiya Sahitya Parishad),
intellectuals (Pragya Bharati, Deendayal Research
Institute), historians (Bharatiya Itihaas
Sankalan Yojanalaya), language (Sanskrit Bharti),
slum-dwellers (Seva Bharati, Hindu Seva
Pratishthan), health (Swami Vivekanand Medical
Mission, National Medicos Organisation), leprosy
patients (Bharatiya Kushtha Nivaran Sangh),
cooperatives (Sahkar Bharati), publication of
newspapers and other propaganda material (Bharat
Prakashan, Suruchi Prakashan, Lokhit Prakashan,
Gyanganga Prakashan, Archana Prakashan, Bharatiya
Vichar Sadhana, Sadhana Pustak and Akashvani
Sadhana), caste integration (Samajik Samrasta
Manch), religion and proselytisation (Vivekananda
Kendra, Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Hindu Jagaran
Manch, Bajrang Dal). The list goes on and on...

On June 11, 1989, Congress prime minister Rajiv
Gandhi gave the RSS a gift. He was obliging
enough to open the locks of the disputed Babri
Masjid in Ayodhya, which the RSS claimed was the
birthplace of Lord Ram. At the National Executive
of the BJP, the party passed a resolution to
demolish the mosque and build a temple in
Ayodhya. "I'm sure the resolution will translate
into votes," said L.K. Advani. In 1990, he
criss-crossed the country on his Rath Yatra, his
Chariot of Fire, demanding the demolition of the
Babri Masjid, leaving riots and bloodshed in his
wake. In 1991, the party won 120 seats in
Parliament. (It had won two in 1984). The
hysteria orchestrated by Advani peaked in 1992,
when the mosque was brought down by a marauding
mob. By 1998, the BJP was in power at the Centre.
Its first act in office was to conduct a series
of nuclear tests. Across the country, fascists
and corporates, princes and paupers alike,
celebrated India's Hindu Bomb. Hindutva had
transcended petty party politics.

In 2002, Narendra Modi's government planned and
executed the Gujarat genocide. In the elections
that took place a few months after the genocide,
he was returned to power with an overwhelming
majority. He ensured complete impunity for those
who had participated in the killings. In the rare
case where there has been a conviction, it is of
course the lowly footsoldiers, and not the
masterminds, who stand in the dock.

Impunity is an essential prerequisite for genocidal killing.

India has a great tradition of granting impunity
to mass killers. I could fill volumes with the
details.

In a democracy, for impunity after genocide, you
have to "apply through proper channels".
Procedure is everything. In the case of several
massacres, the lawyers that the Gujarat
government appointed as public prosecutors had
actually already appeared for the accused.
Several of them belonged to the RSS or the VHP
and were openly hostile to those they were
supposedly representing. Survivor witnesses found
that, when they went to the police to file
reports, the police would record their statements
inaccurately, or refuse to record the names of
the perpetrators. In several cases, when
survivors had seen members of their families
being killed (and burned alive so their bodies
could not be found), the police would refuse to
register cases of murder.

Ehsan Jaffri, the Congress politician and poet
who had made the mistake of campaigning against
Modi in the Rajkot elections, was publicly
butchered. (By a mob led by a fellow
Congressman.) In the words of a man who took part
in the savagery:

     Five people held him, then someone struck him
with a sword...chopped off his hand, then his
legs...then everything else...after cutting him
to pieces, they put him on the wood they'd piled
and set him on fire. Burned him alive.

The Ahmedabad Commissioner of Police, P.C.
Pandey, was kind enough to visit the
neighbourhood while the mob lynched Jaffri,
murdered 70 people, and gang-raped 12 women
before burning them alive. After Modi was
re-elected, Pandey was promoted, and made
Gujarat's Director-General of Police. The entire
killing apparatus remains in place.

The Supreme Court in Delhi made a few threatening
noises, but eventually put the matter into cold
storage. The Congress and the Communist parties
made a great deal of noise, but did nothing.

In the Tehelka sting operation, broadcast
recently on a news channel at prime time, apart
from Babu Bajrangi, killer after killer recounted
how the genocide had been planned and executed,
how Modi and senior politicians and police
officers had been personally involved. None of
this information was new, but there they were,
the butchers, on the news networks, not just
admitting to, but boasting about their crimes.
The overwhelming public reaction to the sting was
not outrage, but suspicion about its timing. Most
people believed that the expose would help Modi
win the elections again. Some even believed,
quite outlandishly, that he had engineered the
sting. He did win the elections. And this time,
on the ticket of Union and Progress. A committee
all unto himself. At BJP rallies, thousands of
adoring supporters now wear plastic Modi masks,
chanting slogans of death. The fascist democrat
has physically mutated into a million little
fascists. These are the joys of democracy. Who in
Nazi Germany would have dared to put on a Hitler
mask?

Preparations to recreate the 'Gujarat blueprint'
are currently in different stages in the
BJP-ruled states of Orissa, Chhattisgarh,
Jharkhand, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and
Karnataka.

To commit genocide, says Peter Balkian, scholar
of the Armenian genocide, you have to marginalise
a sub-group for a long time. This criterion has
been well met in India. The Muslims of India have
been systematically marginalised and have now
joined the Adivasis and Dalits, who have not just
been marginalised, but dehumanised by caste Hindu
society and its scriptures, for years, for
centuries. (There was a time when they were
dehumanised in order to be put to work doing
things that caste Hindus would not do.

Now, with technology, even that labour is
becoming redundant.) Part of the RSS's work
involves setting Dalits against Muslims, Adivasis
against Dalits.

While the 'people' were engaged with the Union
project and its doctrine of hatred, India's
Progress project was proceeding apace. The new
regime of privatisation and liberalisation
resulted in the sale of the country's natural
resources and public infrastructure to private
corporations. It has created an unimaginably
wealthy upper class and growing middle classes
who have naturally become militant evangelists
for the new dispensation.

The Progress project has its own tradition of
impunity and subterfuge, no less horrific than
the elaborate machinery of the Union project. At
the heart of it lies the most powerful
institution in India, the Supreme Court, which is
rapidly becoming a pillar of Corporate Power,
issuing order after order allowing for the
building of dams, the interlinking of rivers,
indiscriminate mining, the destruction of forests
and water systems. All of this could be described
as ecocide-a prelude perhaps to genocide. (And to
criticise the court is a criminal offence,
punishable by imprisonment).

Ironically, the era of the free market has led to
the most successful secessionist struggle ever
waged in India-the secession of the middle and
upper classes to a country of their own,
somewhere up in the stratosphere where they merge
with the rest of the world's elite. This Kingdom
in the Sky is a complete universe in itself,
hermetically sealed from the rest of India. It
has its own newspapers, films, television
programmes, morality plays, transport systems,
malls and intellectuals. And in case you are
beginning to think it's all joy-joy, you're
wrong. It also has its own tragedies, its own
environmental issues (parking problems, urban air
pollution); its own class struggles. An
organisation called Youth for Equality, for
example, has taken up the issue of Reservations,
because it feels Upper Castes are discriminated
against by India's pulverised Lower Castes. It
has its own People's Movements and candle-light
vigils (Justice for Jessica, the model who was
shot in a bar) and even its own People's Car (the
Wagon for the Volks launched by the Tata Group
recently). It even has its own dreams that take
the form of TV advertisements in which Indian
CEOs (smeared with Fair & Lovely Face Cream,
Men's) buy over international corporations,
including an imaginary East India Company. They
are ushered into their plush new offices by
fawning white women (who look as though they're
longing to be laid, the final prize of conquest)
and applauding white men, ready to make way for
the new kings. Meanwhile, the crowd in the
stadium roars to its feet (with credit cards in
its pockets) chanting 'India! India!'

But there is a problem, and the problem is
lebensraum. A Kingdom needs its lebensraum. Where
will the Kingdom in the Sky find lebensraum? The
Sky Citizens look towards the Old Nation. They
see Adivasis sitting on the bauxite mountains of
Orissa, on the iron ore in Jharkhand and
Chhattisgarh. They see the people of Nandigram
(Muslims, Dalits) sitting on prime land, which
really ought to be a chemical hub. They see
thousands of acres of farm land, and think, these
really ought to be Special Economic Zones for our
industries; they see the rich fields of Singur
and know this really ought to be a car factory
for the People's Car. They think: that's our
bauxite, our iron ore, our uranium. What are
those people doing on our land? What's our water
doing in their rivers? What's our timber doing in
their trees?

If you look at a map of India's forests, its
mineral wealth and the homelands of the Adivasi
people, you'll see that they're stacked up over
each other.

So, in reality, those who we call poor are the
truly wealthy. But when the Sky Citizens cast
their eyes over the land, they see superfluous
people sitting on precious resources. The Nazis
had a phrase for them-überzahligen Essern,
superfluous eaters.

The struggle for lebensraum, Friedrich Ratzel
said after closely observing the struggle between
Native Indians and their European colonisers in
North America, is an annihilating struggle.
Annihilation doesn't necessarily mean the
physical extermination of people-by bludgeoning,
beating, burning, bayoneting, gassing, bombing or
shooting them. (Except sometimes. Particularly
when they try to put up a fight. Because then
they become Terrorists.) Historically, the most
efficient form of genocide has been to displace
people from their homes, herd them together and
block their access to food and water. Under these
conditions, they die without obvious violence and
often in far greater numbers. "The Nazis gave the
Jews a star on their coats and crowded them into
'reserves'," Sven Lindqvist writes, "just as the
Indians, the Hereros, the Bushmen, the
Amandabele, and all the other children of the
stars had been crowded together. They died on
their own when food supply to the reserves was
cut off."

The historian Mike Davis says that between 12
million and 29 million people starved to death in
India in the great famine between 1876 and 1892,
while Britain continued to export food and raw
material from India. In a democracy, Amartya Sen
says, we are unlikely to have Famine. So in place
of China's Great Famine, we have India's Great
Malnutrition. (India hosts 57 million-more than a
third-of the world's undernourished children.)

With the possible exception of China, India today
has the largest population of internally
displaced people in the world. Dams alone have
displaced more than 30 million people. The
displacement is being enforced with court decrees
or at gunpoint by policemen, by
government-controlled militias or corporate
thugs. (In Nandigram, even the CPI(M) had its own
armed militia.) The displaced are being herded
into tenements, camps and resettlement colonies
where, cut off from a means of earning a living,
they spiral into poverty.

In the state of Chhattisgarh, being targeted by
corporates for its wealth of iron ore, there's a
different technique. In the name of fighting
Maoist rebels, hundreds of villages have been
forcibly evacuated and almost 40,000 people moved
into police camps. The government is arming some
of them, and has created Salwa Judum, a 'people's
militia'. While the poorest fight the poorest, in
conditions that approach civil war, the Tata and
Essar groups have been quietly negotiating for
the rights to mine iron ore in Chhattisgarh. Can
we establish a connection? We wouldn't dream of
it. Even though the Salwa Judum was announced a
day after the Memorandum of Understanding between
the Tata Group and the government was signed.

It's not surprising that very little of this
account of events makes it into the version of
the New India currently on the market. That's
because what is on sale is another form of
denial-the creation of what Robert Jay Lifton
calls a "counterfeit universe". In this universe,
systemic horrors are converted into temporary
lapses, attributable to flawed individuals, and a
more 'balanced' happier world is presented in
place of the real one. The balance is spurious:
often Union and Progress are set off against each
other, a liberal-secular critique of the Union
project being used to legitimise the depredations
of the Progress project. Those at the top of the
food chain, those who have no reason to want to
alter the status quo, are most likely to be the
manufacturers of the "counterfeit universe".

Their job is to patrol the border, diffuse rage,
delegitimise anger, and broker a ceasefire.

Consider the response of Shahrukh Khan to a
question about Narendra Modi. "I don't know him
personally...I have no opinion...," he says.
"Personally they have never been unkind to me."
Ramachandra Guha, liberal historian and founding
member of the New India Foundation, a
corporate-funded trust, advises us in his book-as
well as in a series of highly publicised
interviews-that the Gujarat government is not
really fascist, and the genocide was just an
aberration that has corrected itself after
elections.

Editors and commentators in the 'secular'
national press, having got over their outrage at
the Gujarat genocide, now assess Modi's
administrative skills, which most of them are
uniformly impressed by. The editor of The
Hindustan Times said, "Modi may be a mass
murderer, but he's our mass murderer", and went
on to air his dilemmas about how to deal with a
mass murderer who is also a "good" chief minister.

In this 'counterfeit' version of India, in the
realm of culture, in the new Bollywood cinema, in
the boom in Indo-Anglian literature, the poor,
for the most part, are simply absent. They have
been erased in advance. (They only put in an
appearance as the smiling beneficiaries of
Micro-Credit Loans, Development Schemes and
charity meted out by ngos.)

Last summer, I happened to wander into a cool
room in which four beautiful young girls with
straightened hair and porcelain skin were
lounging, introducing their puppies to one
another. One of them turned to me and said, "I
was on holiday with my family and I found an old
essay of yours about dams and stuff? I was asking
my brother if he knew about what a bad time these
Dalits and Adivasis were having, being displaced
and all.... I mean just being kicked out of their
homes 'n stuff like that? And you know, my
brother's such a jerk, he said they're the ones
who are holding India back. They should be
exterminated. Can you imagine?"

The trouble is, I could. I can.

The puppies were sweet. I wondered whether dogs
could ever imagine exterminating each other.
They're probably not progressive enough.

That evening, I watched Amitabh Bachchan on TV,
appearing in a commercial for The Times of
India's 'India Poised' campaign. The TV anchor
introducing the campaign said it was meant to
inspire people to leave behind the "constraining
ghosts of the past". To choose optimism over
pessimism.

"There are two Indias in this country," Amitabh
Bachchan said, in his famous baritone.

     One India is straining at the leash, eager to
spring forth and live up to all the adjectives
that the world has been recently showering upon
us. The Other India is the leash.

     One India says, "Give me a chance and I'll prove myself."

     The Other India says, "Prove yourself first,
and maybe then, you'll have a chance."

     One India lives in the optimism of our
hearts; the Other India lurks in the scepticism
of our minds.

     One India wants, the Other India hopes... One
India leads, the Other India follows.

     These conversions are on the rise.

     With each passing day, more and more people
from the Other India are coming over to this
side. ...

     And quietly, while the world is not looking,
a pulsating, dynamic, new India is emerging.

And finally:

     Now in our 60th year as a free nation, the
ride has brought us to the edge of time's great
precipice....

     And one India, a tiny little voice in the
back of the head is looking down at the ravine
and hesitating. The Other India is looking up at
the sky and saying it's time to fly.

Here is the counterfeit universe laid bare.

It tells us that the rich don't have a choice
(There Is No Alternative), but the poor do. They
can choose to become rich. If they don't, it's
because they are choosing pessimism over
optimism, hesitation over confidence, want over
hope. In other words, they're choosing to be
poor. It's their fault. They are weak. (And we
know what the seekers of lebensraum think of the
weak.) They are the 'Constraining Ghost of the
Past'. They're already ghosts.

"Within an ongoing counterfeit universe," Robert
Jay Lifton says, "genocide becomes easy, almost
natural."

The poor, the so-called poor, have only one
choice: to resist or to succumb. Bachchan is
right: they are crossing over, quietly, while the
world's not looking. Not to where he thinks, but
across another ravine, to another side. The side
of armed struggle. From there they look back at
the Tsars of Development and mimic their
regretful slogan: 'There Is No Alternative.'

They have watched the great Gandhian people's
movements being reduced and humiliated,
floundering in the quagmire of court cases,
hunger strikes and counter-hunger strikes.
Perhaps these many million Constraining Ghosts of
the Past wonder what advice Gandhi would have
given the Indians of the Americas, the slaves of
Africa, the Tasmanians, the Herero, the
Hottentots, the Armenians, the Jews of Germany,
the Muslims of Gujarat. Perhaps they wonder how
they can go on hunger strike when they're already
starving. How they can boycott foreign goods when
they have no money to buy any goods. How they can
refuse to pay taxes when they have no earnings.

Stamp out the Naxals: They have no place in Shining India

People who have taken to arms have done so with
full knowledge of what the consequences of that
decision will be. They have done so knowing that
they are on their own. They know that the new
laws of the land criminalise the poor and
conflate resistance with terrorism. (Peaceful
activists are ogws-overground workers.) They know
that appeals to conscience, liberal morality and
sympathetic press coverage will not help them
now. They know no international marches, no
globalised dissent, no famous writers will be
around when the bullets fly.

Hundreds of thousands have broken faith with the
institutions of India's democracy. Large swathes
of the country have fallen out of the
government's control. (At last count, it was
supposed to be 25 per cent). The battle stinks of
death, it's by no means pretty. How can it be
when the helmsman of the army of Constraining
Ghosts is the ghost of Chairman Mao himself? (The
ray of hope is that many of the footsoldiers
don't know who he is. Or what he did. More
Genocide Denial? Maybe). Are they Idealists
fighting for a Better World? Well... anything is
better than annihilation.

The Prime Minister has declared that the Maoist
resistance is the "single largest internal
security threat". There have even been appeals to
call out the army. The media is agog with
breathless condemnation.

Here's a typical newspaper report. Nothing out of
the ordinary. Stamp out the Naxals, it is called.

     This government is at last showing some sense
in tackling Naxalism. Less than a month ago,
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asked state
governments to "choke" Naxal infrastructure and
"cripple" their activities through a dedicated
force to eliminate the "virus". It signalled a
realisation that Naxalism must be stamped out
through enforcement of law, rather than wasteful
expense on development.

"Choke". "Cripple". "Virus". "Infested". "Eliminate". "Stamp Out".

Yes. The idea of extermination is in the air. And
people believe that faced with extermination,
they have the right to fight back.By any means
necessary.

Perhaps they've been listening to the grasshoppers.

______

[7]  [The chief guest at its Republic Day in
Delhi is a uranium lit tadpole from France called
Sarkozy; Little is known or written about in
South Asia on this new style bully president of
France. The latest among his fantasies is to undo
and undermine the rules that governed the space
for religion in public life in Secular France.
Regis Debray, one of few from the disappearing
species public intellectuals has chosen to speak
up. For the small minority of French speaking on
the SACW list, posted below is the full french
text Debray's article. ]

o o o

www.lemonde.fr/opinions/article/2008/01/24/malaise-dans-la-civilisation-par-regis-debray_1003178_3232.html

Le Monde

MALAISE DANS LA CIVILISATION,

par Regis Debray

"L'instituteur ne pourra jamais remplacer le
pasteur ou le curé parce qu'il lui manquera
toujours la radicalité du sacrifice de sa vie et
le charisme d'un engagement porté par
l'espérance." Qu'en auraient pensé, devant le
peloton d'exécution, Jean Cavaillès, Marc Bloch,
Jean Prévost, Léo Lagrange ? Ils avaient assez de
foi en eux pour hausser les épaules. Mais du
temps où il y avait une gauche en France, cette
injure - dans la bouche d'un président de la
République - eût mis un million de citoyens sur
le pavé. Une "politique de civilisation" ?
Certes, mais laquelle ? Chacune se définit par sa
façon de souder ou de distinguer le temporel et
le spirituel. Des Eglises libres de l'Etat, dans
une nation élue, comme aux Etats-Unis, ce n'est
pas un islam inféodé à l'Etat, comme en Turquie,
ni un Etat libre des Eglises, comme en France,
fille de sainte Geneviève et de Diderot. Après
d'heureux aperçus sur le considérable apport du
christianisme, le discours du Latran a dérivé
vers une falsification de notre état civil. Et la
prière psalmodiée dans la capitale du fanatisme,
Riyad, louant Dieu comme "le rempart contre
l'orgueil démesuré et la folie des hommes",
oublie que le Dieu unique a été autant cela que
son contraire.

C'est entendu : si aucune civilisation ne peut
vivre sans valeur suprême, le temps est passé des
messianismes de substitution qui demandaient à un
accomplissement politique de pallier mort et
finitude. Une république laïque n'a pas à
promouvoir une quelconque Vérité, révélée ou
"scientifique". Mais que notre chose publique,
par une chanceuse exception, se soit affranchie,
en 1905, des religions établies ne la réduit pas
à une courte gestion de l'économie, notre
intouchable état de nature. Enraciné dans
l'instruction publique, le projet républicain
d'émancipation a sa noblesse. Il y a un code des
libertés publiques, mais la Fraternité n'est pas
réglementaire. C'est une fin en soi, qu'on peut
dire transcendante, sur laquelle peuvent se
régler pensées et actions.

Tout citoyen à la recherche de ce qui le dépasse
se verrait enjoint de regarder l'au-delà ? Cela
revient à délester la République de toute valeur
ordonnatrice. Il y a loin de l'enseignement
laïque du fait religieux, que j'avais recommandé,
que l'Assemblée nationale a approuvé, à ce
détournement dévot du fait laïque. Notre propos
n'était pas d'humilier l'instit pour vanter
l'iman ou le pasteur. Mais d'étendre les Lumières
jusqu'au "continent noir" des religions, non de
les abaisser. Encore moins de les éteindre. "La
mystique républicaine, disait Péguy, c'était
quand on mourait pour la République. La politique
républicaine, c'est quand on en vit." Cette
dernière ne sera pas quitte envers la première
avec une gerbe de fleurs le 14-Juillet ou une
belle envolée quinquennale. Faut-il, parce que
les lendemains ne chantent plus, remettre aux
détenteurs d'une Vérité unique le monopole du
sens et de la dignité ? Entre la high-life et la
vie consacrée, il y a le civisme. Entre le top
model et Soeur Emmanuelle, il y a l'infirmière,
l'institutrice, la chercheuse. Entre l'utopie
fracassée et le Jugement dernier, il y a ce que
l'on se doit à soi-même, à sa patrie, à autrui, à
l'éthique de connaissance, au démon artistique.
Ces transcendances-là, qui se conjuguent au
présent, sans dogme ni magistère, ne sont pas les
seules, mais elles ont inspiré Marie Curie,
Clemenceau, Jean Moulin, Braque, Jacques Monod et
de Gaulle (dont la lumière intérieure n'était pas
la religion, mais l'histoire). Etaient-ce des
professeurs de nihilisme ? Dans le rôle du mentor
et du liant entre factions, la franc-maçonnerie
des rich and famous semble avoir remplacé celle
des loges radicales d'antan, moins flashy mais
plus éclairante. Faut-il, parce que le Grand
Occident succède au Grand Orient, réduire le
gouvernement à une administration, la scène
nationale à un music-hall et la foi religieuse au
statut de pourvoyeuse d'espérance aux désespérés
? Après l'opium des misérables, l'alibi des
richards ? Les vrais croyants méritent mieux.

Au forum, la frime, à l'autel, l'authentique ?
Dieu pour les âmes, l'argent pour les corps, ceci
compensant cela. C'est l'idéal du possédant. Ce
cynique équilibre entre indécence matérialiste au
temporel et déférence cléricale au spirituel
soulagerait nos élus de leurs obligations
d'instruire et d'élever l'esprit public en payant
d'exemple. Ce grand écart est possible dans un
pays-église, formé au moule biblique, où neuf
citoyens sur dix croient en l'Etre suprême et où
l'Evangile peut faire contrepoids au big money.
La France, où un citoyen sur dix reconnaît
l'Inconnaissable, n'est pas la "One Nation under
God". Les civilisations ne se délocalisent pas
comme des stock-options ou des serials télévisés
- anglicismes désormais de rigueur. Fin des
Chênes qu'on abat, à La Boisserie, face à la
forêt mérovingienne. "S'il faut regarder mourir
l'Europe, regardons : ça n'arrive pas tous les
matins. - Alors, la civilisation atlantique
arrivera..." Encore une prophétie gaullienne
confirmée ? Le divin atlantisme désormais à
l'honneur donne congé à une tradition
républicaine biséculaire au nom d'une tradition
théodémocratique inexportable.

L'actuel chef de l'Etat s'est donné dix ans pour
rattraper le retard de la France sur la
"modernité", nom de code des Etats-Unis, passés
maîtres des arts, des armes et des lois. Et voilà
que, sur un enjeu crucial où nous avions de
l'avance sur la Terre promise des people, un
born-again à la française nous mettrait soudain
en marche arrière ? Bientôt la main sur le coeur
en écoutant La Marseillaise ? Les lapins, faute
de mieux, feront de la résistance.

Régis Debray est écrivain, directeur de la revue MédiuM.

______

[7] Announcements:

(i)

World Social Forum Sri Lanka 2008

Act Together for Another World: A Better Sri Lanka is Possible!

Sat 26 January, Vihara Mahadevi Park Open Air Theatre

Programme

Opening 9.00 am to 10.30 am

Speakers

Dr Ajantha Perera
Environmentalist and Chairperson, Association for Consumer Action

Sarath Fernando
Movement for National Land and Agricultural Reform (MONLAR)

Dr Sarba Raj Khadka
South Asia Alliance for Poverty Eradication (SAAPE), Nepal

Music by Jayathilake Bandara

10.30 am to 12 noon

Space

Organisation

Theme

Space 1

MONLAR
Alternative Agriculture and Land Rights

Space 2

Mothers & Daughters of Lanka and Vikalpani
Women and Peace

Space 3

Plantation Sector Social Forum
The Housing Crisis and The Ten Year Policy for
Plantations: Our Alternative Vision

Space 4

Free Trade Union Development Centre
How can Working People face Rising Cost of Living and the Sufferings of War?

Space 5

National Fisheries Solidarity Organisation
Protect Fishers, Farmers and Workers Right to Livelihood

12.00 pm to 1.00 pm

Lunch and Exhibitions

1.00 pm to 2.30 pm

Space

Organisation

Theme

Space 1

Rural Women's Fund/Action Aid Women's Rights Network
Charter on Violence against Women in Post-Disaster Context

Space 2

Prayathna
Necessity and Challenge for a Democratic Peoples Movement

Space 3

Leo Marga Ashram
Corporate Globalisation and Plantation
agriculture: Civil Society Alternatives, followed
by book launch: The Journey from Leaf to Cup

Space 4

Sri Lanka Nature Forum
Environmental Costs of Mega-Development Projects
(Weerawila, Hambantota, Moragahakanda etc.)

Space 5

Inter-Religious Group

Inter-Faith Dialogue on Peace

2.30 pm to 4.00 pm

Space

Organisation

Theme

Space 1

Savisthri
Peoples Health Movement
There are Development Alternatives: Now is the Time to Build Them!
Health is the Right of People

Space 2

Law & Society Trust and Rights Now Collective for Democracy
Abrogation of the Ceasefire and Return to War:
Impact on Civilians and Human Rights Defenders

Space 3

Association of Family Members of the Disappeared and Right to Life

End Impunity! UN Convention on Disappearances Now!

Space 4

Green Movement of Sri Lanka
Disaster aspects of conflict, economic crisis and globalisation

Space 5

Community Trust Fund
Northern Muslim IDP Issues

Closing 4.00 pm onwards

Speakers

Susil Sirivardhana
Peoples Space (Jana Avakasha / Jana Avakasam)

Karamat Ali
Pakistan Institute for Labour Education and Research (PILER) Pakistan

Nimalka Fernando
International Movement Against Discrimination and Racism (IMADR)

Cultural Performances

Heritage Initiative                              Music
Jana Ranga Sabhava                       Forum Theatre
Jayathilake Bandara                         Concert

______

(ii)

Join us at t2f for STRAIGHT TALK - ELECTIONS
2008, organized by APNA Channel and Helpline
Trust.

Up until the late 60s, Pakistan was a strong
contender for the position of Asian Tiger but
unfortunately, over the years, we have
floundered. Various elected representatives have
come and gone, emergencies have been declared,
and various flavors of martial law have been
imposed. Pakistan stumbles from one day to the
next, desperately in search of leadership.

Benazir Bhutto has been brutally assassinated,
followed by three days of killing, looting,
burning and wanton destruction of public and
private property. The entire election process has
been derailed. Political leaders are making wild
accusations and leveling allegations. There is
anger, fear, apprehension, confusion, and
uncertainty across the entire country.

Do the upcoming elections hold any meaning for
the citizens of Pakistan? Do you wonder what our
awami leaders plan to do once they are elected?
How will the next government tackle the enormous
issues of corruption and inequity? How will they
rebuild our destroyed institutions, especially
the judiciary? How will they curb terrorism and
the spread of talibization? How will they
introduce the urgent reforms required to improve
the quality of life of Pakistani citizens?

What is your message for President Musharraf, the
Election Commission, political leaders, and
voters? Let's Talk!

IMPORTANT: These special editions of Straight
Talk Pakistan - Elections 2008 will be recorded
and televised on APNA Channel. We have space for
50 participants and doors will close after the
session begins.

Dates: Wednesday, 30th January and Thursday, 31st January 2008

Time: 8:00 pm

Venue: The Second Floor (t2f)
6-C, Prime Point Building, Phase 7, Khayaban-e-Ittehad, DHA, Karachi
Phone: 538-9273 | 0300-823-0276 | info at t2f.biz
Map: http://www.t2f.biz/location

______

(iii)

1857 SPECIAL LECTURES AT DELHI UNIVERSITY

Rudrangshu Mukherjee

Nationalism and History Writing: S.N. Sen and
S.B. Chaudhuri as historians of 1857

January 25, 2008

Margit Pernau

Contested Memories and Memoirs: Remembering 1857 in Delhi

February 20, 2008

University Conference Centre
(Opp. Botany Dept.)

______

(iii)

OUTSIDE IN! A TALE OF 3 CITIES. The 70's & 80's
Exhibition of Photographs by Pablo Bartholomew.
At the National Museum, New Delhi.

27 Jan. - 29 Feb. 2008
______

(iv)

Dear friends,

TRANSCEND Peace University (TPU), the online
center for Peace and Development Studies, invites
you to join online classes with participants all
over the world.

You will find a variety of peace and development
subjects, comprised in 23 online courses, taking
place from March 3rd to May 23rd, 2008. TPU
courses are conducted by peace practitioners,
internationally recognized professionals. TPU
March Semester 2008 also include courses on
Peaceful Conflict Transformation conducted by
Johan Galtung, the rector of TRANSCEND Peace
University.
Applications are received until February 22nd, 2008.

Please see attached file for the complete list of courses.

To see more details and to apply visit our
website
<http://tpu.transcend.org>http://tpu.transcend.org

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/