SACW | Jan.22-23, 2007

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Jan 22 22:16:47 CST 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire  | January 22-23, 2007 | Dispatch No. 2352 - Year 8

[1]  Pakistan - India: Time to rethink  (M.B. Naqvi)
[2]  Bangladesh: Give me back my country (Tahmima Anam)
[3]  India: A Home For Ms Nasreen (The Telegraph)
[4]  India: Sangh bares its fangs on Founder's Centenary ()
[5]  India: On Sardar Sarovar Project - Press Release by Narmada Bachao Andolan
[6]  India: Update on Madarsa incident in  Allahabad
[7]  Canada: Wajid Khan deserves our respect (Tarek Fatah)
[8]  USA: Ayatollah D'Souza (Katha Pollitt)
[9]  India Pakistan Arms Race and Militarisation Watch No 167
[10]  Upcoming Events:
       - Nordic workshop "War, Peace and
Development in Sri Lanka" (Göteborg, 29 - 30
January 2007)
       - Sahmat Exhibit - Making History Our Own
(News Delhi, 30 January - 4th February 2007)
____

TIME TO RETHINK

By M.B. Naqvi

There was déjà vu about Indian Foreign Minister
Parnab Mukherjee's recent visit. People had
unnecessarily raised high hopes mostly because of
the preparations he had made before coming. But
remember, the Indians are still hiding their
extreme pleasure on President Pervez Musharraf's
new Kashmir ideas. This visit was after all only
a decorous diplomatic formality: delivering a
letter of invitation to Musharraf for attending
SAARC summit in Delhi. For the rest, Mr.
Mukherjee took soundings in Pakistan about what
India is precisely expected to do.

Why is it the time to rethink? Pakistan has
pursued the holy grail of 'normalization' for 35
years. This damned normalization has not been
achieved after a bout of three wars, some
skirmishes and war scares. Plenty of
negotiations, including the three full rounds of
composite dialogue, have taken place.
Normalization however continues to elude. It is
time to take stock and look this concept of
normalization into its mouth.

Among many problems between the two countries,
Pakistan assigned the highest place to Kashmir
and staked everything on it. It went to war twice
on the subject and refused trade with India.
Pakistan PM still repeats the Mantra that without
Kashmir's resolution, the Subcontinent can have
no stable peace. The Indians of course say that
yes we are quite ready to discuss Kashmir but
this is not the only subject. For them
people-to-people contacts is said to be the first
thing, quickly followed by free trade on MFN
basis and resolution of all disputes should
follow.

Among eight recognized ones, two disputes relate
to territory: Siachin and Sir Creek. Despite all
talks these have not been solved despite the ease
with which they could be. Then, two relate to
water: Wullur Barrage and Kishan Ganga projects.
Had there been any goodwill these disputes too
would not be there, one of which is being
arbitrated by the World Bank. Some security
issues are being discussed, which incidentally
boil down to agreed CBMs to prevent unauthorized
launches of nuclear weapons or nuclear accidents.
This is mainly procedural and does not tackle the
problem of nuclear weapons.

It is remarkable that a desirable visa policy
could never be agreed upon by both countries. Any
improvement here, too, goes on eluding. There are
dozens of minor issues on which a modicum of good
sense would mean actual cooperation. There is the
trafficking of women and children; there is
narcotics question. The maritime coastal services
on both sides are fond of arresting often
illiterate and simple seafarers (fishermen) from
each others country, produce them in a court and
quickly put them in jail. After a while, with
trumpets flaring, the diplomats meet and agree to
release the hapless fishermen. This sorry
pantomime has gone on too long. Can the two
maritime agencies not just warn and instead of
arresting; just shoo them off. Tell them where
they are. These fishing boats can not invade
Pakistan or India.

Then, there is the question of journalists'
visas. Despite all sympathetic talk by the former
Indian Foreign Minister, SAFMA and even a SAARC
resolution, nothing has changed. The Indian
immigration authorities have recently not
honoured what was a SAARC visa for journalists.
The fact is that so far no, repeat no, dispute
has been resolved by the two.

Insofar as Kashmir is concerned on which Pakistan
had staked so much, the Indian PM and Cabinet
should be overjoyed that Musharraf has given them
all they could ask for: A de facto recognition of
India's sovereignty over the Indian held Kashmir.
Musharraf has withdrawn the traditional Pakistani
demand in terms of UN resolutions about
plebiscite. In other words, Pakistan is no longer
a revisionist state; it accepts status quo. What
remains is to tie up the many loose ends by
constructive negotiations. The issue need no
longer be put on a backburner. What is the
situation, instead?

The Indians are still mulling over whether to say
yes. The BJP is the main opposition party; it
would be reluctant to say yes. What it actually
wants is hard to guess. The real reason why the
Indians are not jumping with joy is their
industrial-military complex, mainstream press and
the business community may not be ready for the
consequences of saying yes. For them what is
essential is there should be no slackening in
India's military build up. A Kashmir solution
would seem like a hitch in the programme. They
even do not like the recent Indo-American
agreement on civilian reactors because some
notional limits on India's sovereignty may
result. What is relevant for Pakistanis is that
Indians have no agreed policy vis-à-vis Pakistan.
There is no consensus in India on the subject.

Indian hardliners have reasons to be worried.
Much of Indian effort is to expand its nuclear
deterrent, complete with all the paraphernalia of
missiles, tests for adaptation and so forth.
Notionally, more than half of these efforts have
to be for containing and countering Pakistan's
military build ups. After a Kashmir agreement,
logic will demand friendly relations. How to make
friends with someone who is to be countered? Both
are developing the ultimate weapons. One asserts
that where nuclear arms race is raging between
two feuding states that live cheek by jowl, no
friendship or friendly cooperation is possible.

Which responsible Indian can forget that Pakistan
has atomic weapons that can be dropped on his
cities by aircrafts or by missiles? Similarly no
responsible Pakistani can forget that Indian
military has a lot more nuclear weapons. It can
take out any number of cities in Pakistan. These
weapons have no defence. (The American talk of
anti-missiles missiles is a rich man's fancy; no
state can depend on an anti-missile system that
is still unreliable). India and Pakistan have
been open adversaries and each other's designated
enemy against which they have to be always alert.
So long they rely on nuclear weapons, there will
be no real agreement and friendship, no matter
what the terms.

For one thing, Indian Capitalism is now
graduating into Imperialism; a military build up
is a necessary supplement. The fact is that a
country that is engaged in this larger effort of
projecting power up to Straits of Malacca and
beyond is not likely to be overjoyed when
Pakistan has given India what it has always
wanted. Its leaders might be embarrassed that
they will have to make some return gesture. But
this offer by Musharraf they simply cannot
refuse. All the ado about how 'joint management'
can work is bogus. Where there is a will there is
a way. If the two want to cooperate they can. The
point is they do not want to cooperate for others
(nuclear) reasons. Without the nuclear issue
being out of the way, India-Pakistan relations
cannot be normalized, much less expanded.

This joke of 'normalization' has gone on for 35
years. Pakistan has normal relations with
Iceland. India has good relations with Peru. Do
India and Pakistan want that kind of
'normalization'? Can normalization be a goal? The
two had better spell out what do they want.
Should it not be a historic people-to-people
reconciliation from grassroots upward? The way
French and Germans reconciled after the Second
World War is a shining example. It can be copied.
Regional integration in South Asia, so desirable
economically, will not be available unless the
Pakistanis and Indians trust each other.

Can the two sets of Mandarins find a basis to
create trust in each other while both stay
nuclear powers? One way or another, a regional
nuclear disarmament may be essential even for
peaceful coexistence.

The New Statesman

BANGLADESH: GIVE ME BACK MY COUNTRY

by Tahmima Anam

When Tahmima Anam went home to Dhaka to cast her
vote in the now-postponed election, she found a
nation in chaos, tormented by corruption and
brutality.

On 10 January 1972, my father came home to his
country for the first time. It was three weeks
after the end of the Bangladesh war, and he was
making his way back from India, where he had
enlisted with the newly formed Bangladesh army.
When I think about that day, I always wonder what
country my father thought he was returning to.
Surely it was a thing of his imagination, born
out of the years marching against the Pakistani
occupation, the months touring India to gain
support for the war, the gruelling training at
the officers' camp in West Bengal. I can picture
the shock that he and his fellow freedom fighters
must have felt when they finally did cross that
border, seeing their imagined country and their
real country meet for the first time.

The Bengali phrase desh-prem means "love for the
country". Like many expatriate Bangladeshis, my
desh-prem makes me believe there will come a day
when I pack my bags and leave London for good. My
desh-prem is a long-distance affair, full of
passion and misunderstanding; often, my heart is
broken. Many Bangladeshis never actually return
home; it is more of an idea, something to turn
over in our hearts before we go to sleep, but for
me the prospect of returning is real. In 1990,
after 14 years abroad, my parents left their jobs
with the United Nations and moved back to
Bangladesh. So many of their friends told them
they were foolish to return to a country that had
so little to offer, but in the latter months of
that year, Hossain Mohammad Ershad's military
dictatorship was toppled by massive public action
of a kind not seen since the days of the
independence movement. So the country my family
returned to was bathed in hope, and, almost two
decades after the birth of Bangladesh, we finally
seemed on the brink of becoming a functioning
democracy.

Sixteen years after Ershad's dramatic fall,
Bangladesh is a very different place. We have had
three national elections, and our two main
political parties, the Bangladesh Nationalist
Party (BNP) and the Awami League, have handed
power back and forth to each other like a baton
in a relay, each election becoming successively
more bitter, and each five-year term bringing
dramatic increases in corruption and partisan
politics. Amazingly, when the Awami League was in
power, the BNP refused to attend parliament; when
the BNP was in power, the Awami League refused to
attend. As a result, the people we mandated to
represent us in government failed to discharge
their responsibilities, instead taking to the
streets and announcing that their defeat was
engineered and not willed by the voting public.

In Bangladesh, elections come hand in hand with
claims of vote-rigging. Where there is an
election and a transfer of power, there will
inevitably be rumours of conspiracy, of stolen
ballot boxes and hijacked polling stations.
Whether and to what degree these rumours are true
is almost less important than the assumption that
a sitting government cannot hold a fair election.
Therefore, in 1995, the constitution was amended
to include a peculiar and rather clever system of
handing power to a caretaker government that is
responsible for holding a fair election.
According to the constitution, the last retired
chief justice of the Bangladesh Supreme Court
becomes chief adviser to the caretaker
government. He has the authority of a prime
minister, and is given the responsibility of
appointing a cabinet, together with which he will
govern the country for no more than 90 days.
During this time his main tasks will be to
oversee fair and non-partisan elections and to
hand over power to the newly elected government.

So far, so good. But as plans go, this one is not
foolproof. Although the arrangement worked on the
first two occasions, this time around the BNP
felt it could not afford to lose the election.
All the signs indicated that if the election was
free and fair, the BNP would be defeated by the
Awami League. After five years of alleged
corruption, theft and autocracy, it was faced
with the possibility that it would actually have
to be accountable for the crimes it had committed
during its tenure. The excesses of previous
regimes were mild compared with those perpetrated
during those five years, which saw an alliance
between the BNP and the most powerful of the
Islamic parties, the Jamaat-e-Islami. The BNP
formed this strategic partnership in 2001, and
over the past five years the Jamaat's influence
has spread throughout the bureaucracy and
district governments, enabling the party to build
grass-roots support and gain crucial political
and public recognition.

As well as giving power and legitimacy to the
Islamic right, the BNP alliance committed severe
abuses of power. It politicised the police force
and formed the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), a
special branch that was responsible for hundreds
of killings in the name of "law and order". This
force signed contracts for bridges that were
never built, bought television channels,
appointed biased judges, jailed and harassed the
opposition, and placed RAB people into every post
that might influence the election. The alliance
invented 14 million false voters. By the same
stroke, it wiped most Bangladeshis from a
religious or ethnic minority from the electoral
register.

Popular opposition to the BNP's blatant attempts
at manipulating the election has made it
terrified of losing power, and so, instead of
allowing the caretaker government to fall into
the hands of a neutral chief adviser, it
encouraged the BNP-appointed president, Iajuddin
Ahmed, to take the post. When we first saw the
ageing Iajuddin taking the oath to become chief
adviser, he appeared harmless enough. People,
including the opposition, decided to give him a
chance to show his neutrality - his desh-prem.
But he proved to be easily manipulated, and after
a few weeks he became a hated figure.

In the meantime, the beleaguered Awami League has
committed its fair share of mistakes. In order to
press its demands it called an indefinite series
of strikes, bringing the economy to a halt while
it conducted its campaigns of civil disobedience.
No one went to work; the classrooms emptied out,
the ships were marooned at Chittagong port, and
the price of dhal tripled in a matter of months.
But by far the most un forgivable blunder it
committed was to sign a deal with the far-right
Khilafat-e-Majlish. The Awami League has long
claimed an ideological advantage over the BNP,
branding itself the more secular, progressive
party, so for those of us who believed there was
a significant difference between the two parties,
this was a cynical and heartbreaking manoeuvre.
Under the terms of the deal, the Awami League
will assist the Khilafat-e-Majlish in legalising
fatwas and challenging any laws that contradict
"Koranic values". Whether the Islamic right will
really gain a foothold in mainstream politics -
and the hearts of the public - in Bangladesh
remains to be seen; however, that both parties
believe they cannot win an election without the
endorsement of the right is sign enough that
Bangladesh's identity as a moderate Muslim
country is under threat.

When I landed in Dhaka a few days ago, the city
looked as it so often does in January. The fog
was low and woolly on the ground; people were
huddled under their shawls; the smell of oranges
and roasted peanuts lingered in the air. But, of
course, I knew that all was not as it seemed. In
these past few months my desh-prem has been under
siege, and this time, I arrived in Dhaka in
bitter spirits. I had planned this trip so that I
would be able to vote; I had spent months looking
forward to returning to Bangladesh to exercise my
democratic right. Yet as the day drew near, I
realised I wouldn't be going home to vote, but
rather to witness a sham election. With the Awami
League boycotting the elections, and talk of a
constitutional crisis, we all began to worry that
this year could mark the death of democracy in
Bangladesh. The mood was sombre and people seemed
resigned; it appeared there was nothing anyone
could do to prevent this political charade from
going ahead.

But then, just as it appeared there was no
solution in sight, the president suddenly
declared a state of emergency and postponed the
elections indefinitely. He resigned as chief
adviser and dissolved the caretaker cabinet. The
exact reasons for his about-face are still
opaque, but we do know that it happened through a
combination of international pressure and army
intervention. To what degree the army is now
running things is unclear; vague and ominous
ordinances have been proposed, some of which hint
at restrictions on personal freedom and on the
media.

Walter Benjamin famously said that a state of
emergency is also always a state of emergence.
Can we take this literally in Bangladesh? Will
the emergency see us through to a fair election,
or will the army consolidate its power and wrest
democracy from us indefinitely? And what would
happen to my desh-prem then? Could it survive
another onslaught?

Whenever I imagine returning to Bangladesh for
good, I wonder what kind of country I want to
return to. I want, more than anything, to have
that feeling of protean possibility that my
father must have had when he crossed the border
into his new country. I want a country where my
gender does not preclude me from being an equal
citizen. Where corruption has not touched every
facet of public life. Where the children don't
sell popcorn on street corners or work in
matchstick factories. I want to know that I'm
going to show up on polling day and see my name
on the voter registration list. I want to stand
in a queue, press my thumb into a pad of ink, and
put my mark wherever I like. I want my
politicians to stop courting the Islamic right. I
want the water table to stop rising. I want the
government to stop driving the Hindus and the
Chakmas and the Santals out of this country. I
want someone to count my vote. I want a halt to
the steady erosion of civil liberties. I want a
country where the army cannot arrest anyone
without a warrant. I want our political parties
to be democratic, transparent and accountable. I
want fair and neutral judges. I want the right to
vote. I want there to be no such thing as a legal
fatwa. I want the war criminals of the 1971
genocide to be tried, condemned and jailed. I
want to vote. I want a country worthy of my
desh-prem. I want a country.

Tahmima Anam's debut novel, "A Golden Age", set
during the 1971 Bangladesh war of independence,
will be published in March by John Murray (£14.99)

The Telegraph
January 13, 2007

A HOME FOR MS NASREEN

Exiled Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen's
extension of her permission to stay on in India
is about to expire. She likens her position to
standing at a bus stop all her life

Well-behaved women rarely make history," says a
sticker pasted on Taslima Nasreen's refrigerator
door. But then, rarely do they have to make up
their minds about what they are going to do and
where they are going to go each time they get
shunted out of a country either. That is
something that the exiled Bangladeshi author and
firebrand feminist is having to do on a regular
basis - every six months or so. In fact, the
six-month extension of her permission to stay on
in India, which she received in August last year,
is about to expire. And as D-day - February 17 -
closes in on her, the woman who held her head
high in spite of several fatwas against her
openly tells you that it's not a nice feeling.

"The uncertainty is very disturbing," she says.
"It's like standing at a bus stop all your life."
When you are always at the bus stop, you are
never home. And, after all these years of
standing and waiting, Nasreen wants to go home.
But home, for her, is not just Bangladesh. She
doesn't see the two Bengals - East and West - as
separate. "It is a forced division, created
artificially," she tells you and says that she
doesn't accept it. "Ideally, I would like to be a
part of an undivided Bengal," she adds wistfully.
But at the moment, for all practical purposes, if
her "beloved Motherland" - or what the rest of
the world knows as Bangladesh - won't have her,
she would like to be a part of India. But New
Delhi is not as keen on that. Nasreen has been
hoping to get Indian citizenship - but going by
past experience she is not too optimistic about
that. Right now, she would settle for an
extension of her resident permit for a longer
period. "I don't know why I can't be granted a 10
or even a five-year extension," she asks,
sounding both hurt and exasperated.

She finds the short-term extensions frustrating,
having to constantly worry about when the visa
will expire. "I seem to be always writing out
applications requesting permission for me to stay
on somewhere," she sighs, smiling sadly. "And
then waiting."

Evidently no one is inured to the insecurity and
uncertainty of a wait. Not even Taslima Nasreen,
who has had years of practice. She has been
waiting for over a dozen years. Waiting to return
to something that she can call home. It was way
back in 1994 that Nasreen first had to flee from
her homeland. A gynaecologist and newspaper
columnist, she was already in the black book of
Islamic fundamentalists for her open criticism of
the oppression of women in the name of religion.
But it was her book Lajja (Shame), which dealt
not only with the injustices against women in her
community but also the plight of minority Hindus,
that had the hardliners baying for her blood.

Fatwas were announced against her, unleashing a
mob fury that forced her to go into hiding in her
own country. "I used to be shifted from one
hideout to another by friends, sometimes cramped
into the back seat of cars, wrapped in blankets
held down by suitcases," she recalls. She didn't
know where she was being taken, what she would do
next or whether or not she would be alive the
next moment. One day she found herself being
bundled up in an aeroplane, heading for an
unknown destination with virtually no personal
belongings. "I had no idea," she says today,
"that I would never again return to my country."

The rest, of course, is history. Nasreen, now 44,
has been living in exile since, with only a
secret visit in 1988 to Bangladesh to be with her
sick mother, who was on her death bed. "A lot of
people had feared for my life during that trip,"
Nasreen says. "But I loved her and nothing could
keep me from going and meeting her. I was not
afraid to die. But there was a lot of
international pressure on the government to
ensure that I was safe."

Letter after letter went to the Bangladesh Prime
Minister - penned both by eminent personalities
and ordinary citizens of the world - urging
Nasreen a safe journey back, ironically enough,
from home. "I write on behalf of the
International Academy of Humanism to express our
concern for the safety of Dr Taslima Nasreen,"
wrote Professor Paul Kurtz, president,
International Academy of Humanism. And Hermann
Bondi, former master, Churchill College,
Cambrige, wrote, "I am writing to you out of
concern for Dr Taslima Nasreen. Many of us hope
and indeed trust that your government will
protect this distinguished person from the crude
violence that threatens her and abstain from
prosecuting her for her alleged views."

In a letter to her, author Salman Rushdie wrote,
"Great writers have agreed to lend their weight
to the campaign on your behalf." They included
Czeslaw Milosz, Mario Vargas Llosa and Milan
Kundera. And not that Nasreen is not aware of it.

No, Nasreen doesn't deny that she found "love and
acceptance from total strangers" outside of her
country. "European countries quarrelled among
each other to give asylum to me," she says.
Sweden - where she was first taken to in 1994 -
and Germany, in particular, were keen to host
her. But when you point out to her that France
had once issued her only a 24-hour visa, she
immediately reminds you of the flak Paris
received for that, including a demand for the
resignation of the then President. You can't miss
the urgency in Nasreen's voice. She wants to make
sure that you recognise that when her own people
abandoned her, strangers picked her up and gave
her shelter.

Yet Nasreen craves the love of her own people.
"Everyone needs to come back to a home," she
sighs. At the moment home for her is her plush
apartment on Calcutta's Rowden Street. "It
doesn't necessarily have to be a home full of
people. It is a space where you feel independent.
A place where you belong." Her only family member
is a cat by the name of Minoo. Nasreen had picked
her up from the Gariahat fishmarket when she was
only a kitten, abandoned and alone.

Minoo is a fearless and independent creature -
more like a tigress or a Baghini, which is what
Nasreen calls her. And, yes, she has a home.
Nasreen gave her one. The question is, who will
give Nasreen a home?

Dr. John Dayal

Member: National Integration Council
Government of India

National President: All India Catholic Union (Founded 1919)
Secretary General: All India Christian Council (Founded 1999)
President: United Christian Action, Delhi (Founded 1992)

505 Link, 18 IP Extension, Delhi 110092 India
  Email: johndayal at vsnl.com
Phone: 91-11-22722262 Mobile 09811021072

SANGH BARES ITS FANGS ON FOUNDER'S CENTENARY
Interfaith dialogue meeting attacked in Kanpur, Muslims, Christians
victim s elsewhere

Statement by Dr John Dayal, Member, national Integration Council,
Government of India, New Delhi, 22 January 2007:

The bloodthirsty manner in which the Hindutva brigade in India
celebrated the Birth Centenary of its founder and Rashtriya Swayamsewak
Sangh chief Guru Golwalkar last Sunday is evidence that the hyper
nationalist and religious fundamentalist group has sharpened its attack
on Christians and Muslims as enemy aliens in India.
Not only did the Hindutva Parivar violently attack residential Muslim
areas in the Silicon city of Bangalore in Karnataka taking out a
provocative procession, which defied the police, it attacked
institutions in Kangra of Himachal Pradesh, its spokesmen made repeated
announcements on friendly Indian language television news channels that
they would wage war on [Muslim] terrorism and [Christian] Conversions
which they identified as the twin threats to India.
Their cadres among the `Sadhus' [saints or mendicants], now
congregating along the Ganges-Yamuna Rivers' confluence at Allahabad,
they said, would ensure their the dream Hindu Homeland Nation [Rashtra]
was realized as soon as possible.
The vitriolic diatribe against religious minorities has reached its
peak on the eve of elections to several State Legislative Assemblies in
the country.
For the most, Indian police forces have been mute witnesses to the
Hindutva violence. In Bangalore, capital of Karnataka which is now
ruled by the Bharatiya Janata Party, the political face of the RSS, the
police made an ineffectual attempt to control the ravaging mobs,
killing one person. In Kangra, they watched helplessly and in Kanpur,
the industrial capital of India's largest province of Uttar Pradesh,
they came much too late although television cameras were on duty
recording the mass violence.

The Kanpur violence, in fact, was the one that gave away the Sangh
Parivar intolerance. What they presumed was a Christian conversion
rally because two White United States citizens were in attendance,
turned out to be an interfaith prayer and dialogue meeting where a Sikh
cult leader from New Delhi had taken two of his foreign guests as key
speakers.
Curiously, only one news channel showed violence and identified the
attackers as Hindutva Parivar members. Only one Hindi language
newspaper, the mass circulated Amar Ujala, reported the incident in
detail. Another channel took the Hindutva side and said the meeting was
of Christian missionaries even though nether police chief of the city
denied it was so.  The police chief, Sinha, promised action against the
ringleaders who masterminded the well planned attack. The silence of
other mass media was not explained. Newspapers in Uttar Pradesh
routinely target the Christian minority in publishing statements of the
Sangh Parivar against Church groups and institutions.
The Americans, who were not identified, were said to be in a state of
panic and had cut short their stay in the hotel in Kanpur. The Sikh
cult leader was identified as Sant Sangat Singh Bains, who ahs a large
ashram in New Delhi, and is known for his work in ecumenism and inter
faith dialogue. The organizers of the meeting in Kanpur are well-known
Hindu intellectuals Kailashpati Tripathi and his associates who have an
inter religious meeting every week. The police said later they had
arrested two persons who they did not name
I saw the Sangh aggression on the Hindi Television news Channel
`Seven'. The camera recorded how the peaceful meeting was abruptly
disrupted by a mob of about twenty persons who slammed open the door of
the hall, tore down the curtains, climbed up a table and smashed the
sound system. Then they assaulted some of the persons attending the
meeting even as their spokesman told the television reporter that they
would not allowed conversions in Hindu Rashtra of India. Mr. Tripathi
later told a fact finding team of the All India Christian Council that
there was no Christian activity in their meeting, which was part of a
series of prayer dialogues they have been organizing for a long time.
In the past, there had been no objections, much less attacks, on their
inter faith meetings, he said.
In Kangra, a small town in the Himalayan state of Himachal Pradesh
whose Congress government recently passed a law banning religious
conversions - defying the Congress president's directive - a
fanatical crowd surrounded a Christian run orphanage and wanted the
pastor to close pack up and leave the state. The police watched and
then curiously advised the crowd to file a formal complaint with the
police against the pastor and his group. Pastor Behal's has had a
church, and children's home with about 15 inmates for several years
in this district town. Of late, the local Hindutva groups have been
railing against him, and want him out of the state where outsiders are
not permitted to own property but can run institutions.
The Sangh violence against Christians has not surprised me. Neither am
I surprised that violence takes place in states that are ruled by the
BJP as much as in other states ruled by the Congress. The one
difference is that in Congress ruled states, the police make an effort
to act against the attackers, while in BJP governed states such as
Madhya Pradesh, even preliminary reports are not registered by the
police.
I have also in many letters on behalf of the All India Catholic Union
and the All India Christian Council, addressed to Congress President
Mrs. Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Union Home
Minister Mr. Shivraj Patil, spelled out the Sangh conspiracy against
the Christian community.
The national leadership has been told time and again that the writ of
the Indian Constitution seems not to run in states such as Madhya
Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan. They have also been told that the
mushrooming number of  anti-conversion bills actually convinces the
Sangh cadres that they are right in attacking Christians. The most
shocking has been the anti conversion bill passed in the Himachal
Pradesh assembly, controlled by the Congress, in utter defiance of the
assurances of the Congress president.
Unless the national government and the Supreme Court of India direct
state governments to take preemptive action, we fear that anti
Christian violence will only escalate in coming months.

NARMADA BACHAO ANDOLAN
62-Gandhi Marg, Badwani, Madhya Pradesh-451551
Phone: 07290-222464, E-mail: nba.medha at gmail.com/abarada at rediffmail.com
Press Release
21.01.2007

ï	Mr. Modi's dedication, not of benefits or
rehabilitation nor the Project but merely power
turbines, is a political farce.
ï	SSP stopped at 122 mts cannot reach the
full height since rehabilitation is not in sight.
ï	Centre must review the project with
socio-economic-environmental impacts and massive
corruption proved.

	It is just unfortunate and totally unjust
that CM of Gujarat, Mr. Narendra Modi restoring
to one more act of fooling people of Gujarat and
nation as a whole. Mr. Modi dedicated to nation,
the power turbines of Sardar Sarovar Project and
not the project itself or even the benefits,
which are far from completion and achievements.
The people all over the country, who have watched
the struggle and challenge the falsehood that
helped push the giant Dam of Sardar Sarovar to
122 mts, should very well know that the turbines
which were brought from Sumitoto and Hitashi, two
of the Japanese companies as per the condition
put forward by Bilateral Development Assistance
agencies of Japan, have not been functional or up
to the mark as yet. Both the power houses - River
Bed Power House (RBPH) and Canal Head Power House
(CHPH) have generated much less power and much
costlier power than was expected at 110 meters of
dam height itself.

Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, who are to get
only power and not a drop of water, are
sacrificing their generation old adivasi and
farmer communities, prime agricultural lands and
thousands of crores of rupees till date, while a
huge investment is yet to occur, with balance of
financial liabilities and affected families in
their account. It is to be noted that Sardar
Sarovar has not yet come on the list of projects
providing power to Maharashtra as per the
official documents of MSEB.

Madhya Pradesh, where thickly populated villages
and townships are thrown into the affected area
of the dam at the present height of 122 metres,
also has not received the real power beyond
negligible minimum. This has happened because, in
spite of height raised to110 mts during monsoon
of 2006, Gujarat govt. could not use water in the
reservoir for producing power in Canal Head Power
House. The reason was the fear of villages on
canal banks getting drowned with breaches in the
canal, carrying not just water but also
corruption.

With the farcical celebration of the so-called
dedication of turbines, the government has also
restored to fake publicity through advertising,
spending lakhs of rupees from the public
exchequer. Just as the promises of Rehabilitation
over years have not come true in case of
thousands of Sardar Sarovar Project affected
families, the promise of 1450 MW also cannot be.
This being the generation capacity (installed
capacity) at Full Reservoir Level, which is to be
at 138.68 mts, cannot be achieved at either 122
mts or even at the full height. The claims of
government of Gujarat regarding power generation
are unwarranted and in discrepancy with the
calculations of Central Electricity Authority,
which is actually only half of what Gujarat
government claims. The actual generated power has
always been less than generating capacity (in any
hydro power project) and in the case of Sardar
Sarovar, it has to start with 439 MW and within
years, will come down to 50 MW, once irrigation
targets in Gujarat are achieved. The conflict
between irrigation and power in any Multi Purpose
Project is well known to the country, which will
be much more in case of Sardar Sarovar, with
inter state conflicts that are bound to infest
Sardar Sarovar sooner or later.

Mr. Modi could not dare gift Irrigation, even the
whole project, obviously because the project is
far from being completed. More than 40,000
families still await full and complete
Rehabilitation as per law and court judgment and
hence continue to live in their lands, under
threat of submergence.

The permission to raise height, even if by
putting gates, is not and cannot be given by
Central agencies, including Rehabilitation
Sub-group of NCA. It is revealed from the reports
of few of the research organizations of Gujarat
that mere 10% of drinking and irrigation targets
claimed at 110 mts could be achieved by state.
People of Kutch and Surat are deprived, not of
non-performance of water supply network but also
because of distributive in-justice. The later
reason has come to be worse, with transfer of
water and land in command area of SSP to
corporates first, before the drought affected
farmers and others, who were made to await the
mirage of Narmada all through these decades. It
is in this context that Gujarat Congress, the
government and the authorities at the Center must
show the rational and political acumen not to
support the political agenda of Mr. Modi, rather
should expose false claims of benefits and
Rehabilitation both. When central authorities
have power and responsibility to ensure justice
to oustees before submergence and even withdraw
the sanctions to a project as well its financial
support through Planning Commission, beyond the
boycott of dedication function of Mr Modi. It
could do good if along with:

a)       Ministry of Water Resources (MoWR)
undertake with Planning Commission and update the
Cost-Benefits of 40,000 crore project i.e. Sardar
Sarovar
b)       MoWR does not sanction any further funds
under its Accelerated Irrigation Benefit
Programme, much criticized by CAG.
c)       Not allow any further work at the Dam
site including erection of gates if no legal and
justice based Rehabilitation is in sight for
thousands of families i.e. a few lakhs of people
in the river valley, the oldest of civilization.
d)       Ministry of Environment send special
team to review compliances put forth as on the
Environment compensation measures as
pre-conditions in the project clearance, which
too are only on paper.
e)       Direct Ministry of Social Justice to
ensure immediate allotment of land and
establishment of R&R sites for already affected
and to be immediately affected adivasis and
farmer communities.
f)         Undertake CBI enquiry into huge
corruption in the name of Rehabilitation and
compensation, which is proved through documents
by NBA.

Noorji Padvi,  Yogini Khanolkar,  Chetan Salve,

Ashish Mandloi, Medha Patkar

Date: 22 Jan 2007 07:42:36 -0000

Subject: Update on Madarsa incident in  Allahabad

Gangrape of Two Madarsa Girls in Allahabad

Dear All

It is an urgent action alert. Two days ago, some
goons forcibly entered into a residential girl
Madarsa in Allahabad. They took two girls with
them and they were gang raped. After the getting
the news of the incident, I tried my best to
contact all those who are in the position to
intervene. I thought, this can be turned to other
way and this type of incident will lead to
further seclusion of Muslim girls. So, immediate
intervention by the sensitive organization and
persons are necessary.

Subhashini Ali, national President of AIDWA,
reacted immediately and asked DG, UP police to
take action against the culprits including the
policemen. She had also given a memorandum to the
governor.
In Allahabad, I asked, Padma Ji of Stree Adhikar
Sanghatna, if possible go to the spot and see the
ground situation. Due to Kumbh, it was very
difficult on Friday to move inside Allahabad. But
in spite of difficult situation, they went to the
spot and I am sending their initial observations.
Team members are (1) M. Hema Bindu, Asst.
Professor, IIIT, Allahabad (2) Padma, Activist
and Teacher (3) Farida Khan, Activist (4) Shyam
Kali, Teacher. They all belong to Stree Ahikaar
Sanghatan.

Nasiruddin (Mobile-09450931764)
Lucknow

Initial Observation of the Team

The Madarsa was started in the year 1992 in a
rented accommodation in Kareli area of Allahabad.
Three years back it was shifted to Karhenda, a
secluded place, beside a Mosque, where recently
Tarabi was also held. It is situated very close
to the bridge over the Sasur khaderi river.
Maulana Wasiullah was running it for “dini”
purpose. This is the  FIRST madarsa for girls in
Allahabad.There are altogether 55 inmates; free
for poor and Rs.250/- for others is totally being
charged.

On the fateful night of 17th January, around 12
a.m., six miscreants, claiming themselves to be
police personnel (CID) for investigation, forced
(breaking the front door) themselves into the
premises and locked the watchman in the store
room. Then caretaker (khaala) and the sleeping
girls were woken up, enquired about the
whereabouts of the Maulana (manager) and selected
2 girls after threatening (with knife and pistol)
and locking the others IN A ROOM. These two were
taken away to the fields, one Km away, opposite
the Madarsa and gang raped for 2 hrs, threatening
to cut them down into three pieces.

Meanwhile, the locked-up girls were
shouting/crying for help, but being a deserted
place, none could hear and come for rescue.
Around 2 a.m., both the victims returned, shocked
and chilled in the outside cold, cried and lied
down only to wake up at around 9 a.m. on the
morning of 18th Jan. They called up one of the
UDF leaders then, whose wife immediately came up
to the madarsa and picked up all the girls. There
were attempts to lodge an FIR and conduct a
medical examination of the victims, but the S.O.,
Kareli would not co-operate. Only after the
intervention of the SSP around the afternoon, did
the case get registered under 376, 452 and 506,
but the medical part still left untouched till
this time of 19th Jan.

Few preliminary but important observations noted by the investigation team:

·     When madarsa started in 2003-2004 ---- LIU
came for investigation during midnight, but was
opined by the Maulana as not OK.
·     11 months later ---- second time investigation
·     4 months before this incident took place ----- third time investigation
·     All the times, they were requested for TWO
security guards, who were denied on grounds of
lack of finances, but OFFERED Gun license instead.
·     People of Kareli are highly dissatisfied
and have NEGATIVE remarks about the SO, who is
under the protection of the local MLA and MP.
·     The maulana broke down with emotion that
his dreams were shattered and said now the
madarsa may have to be closed, because of lack of
security to the inmates.

WE ALL FELT THAT THIS CASE NEED TO BE TAKEN
SERIOUSLY AND NOT JAILING THE MISCREANTS BUT A
DIFFERENT AND NOVEL KIND OF PUNISHMENT BE METED
OUT TO THEM , SO THAT OTHERS OF SIMILAR ILLNESS
LEARN A LESSON.
Team members-
(1) M. Hema Bindu, Asst. Professor, IIIT, Allahabad
(2) Padma, Activist and Teacher
(3) Farida Khan, Activist
(4) Shyam Kali, Teacher. They all belong to Stree Ahikaar Sanghatan.

Dear All

Update on Allahabad incident

1. After lot of pressure, today medical
examination of both the girls was done. Report
confirmed the incident.

2.Mulayam Singh has announced two lakhs as compensation/help.

3. Police has round up few youths. till late night identification was going on.

4. Tommorrow on 21st different organisations have
planned to sit on protest dharana in front of
Allahabad Kotwali. We are going to Allahabad.

Nasiruddin
09450931764

The Globe and Mail
22/01/07

Commentary
WAJID KHAN DESERVES OUR RESPECT

by Tarek Fatah

This has not been a particularly kind month for
Mississauga MP Wajid Khan. But the political
dogfight in which he finds himself pales when
compared to the day his MiG 19 was shot down over
India in 1971. Mr. Khan parachuted to safety,
only to end up in an Indian PoW camp for the next
year.

Can Wajid Khan the MP replicate the surviving
skills of Wajid Khan the fighter pilot? I caught
up with Mr. Khan and asked him whether he was
going to quit. "You must be kidding," he quipped.

When I suggested that now that his own Muslim
communities, especially Arab leaders, are
attacking his credibility, he interrupted:
"Listen to me very carefully, my community is the
Canadian community; I am not the ambassador of
some country to Canada; I am an MP representing
Canadians and my primary interest is Canada's
welfare. I am not in politics to represent some
overseas group or government. Yes, I am a Muslim,
but I cannot be held hostage by self-appointed
community leaders who have their own hidden
agendas."

Mr. Khan was reacting to a joint statement by
Khaled Mouammar, president of the Canadian Arab
Federation, and Mohamed Elmasry, president of the
Canadian Islamic Congress, who not only demanded
Mr. Khan publish his elusive Middle East report
to the Prime Minister but also attacked Mr.
Khan's credibility while mocking his competence.

Their statement claimed there was nothing in Mr.
Khan's "past or present activities and experience
that would qualify him as suitable for such a
sensitive mission." It went on to say that "most
of the countries he has visited know nothing
about him as a representative of Canada."

Mr. Elmasry further complained: "Wajid Khan is
not a professor of political science . . . and
his knowledge of the Middle East is very limited.
He's a member of Parliament and he so happens to
be a Muslim, and he does not represent the Muslim
viewpoint." The words were clumsy, yet the
underlying message was clear: Wajid Khan's
ancestry is Pakistani, not Arab. He is not a good
Muslim, and he does not qualify to speak for the
Arab community. Ethnic politics has sunk to a new
low. Once more, religion has been inserted to
deride one's political opponent.

Of course, Mr. Elmasry, an engineer, is no
professor of political science, either.

The demand for the publication of Mr. Khan's
report is valid but suspicious. Neither the
Canadian Arab Federation nor the Canadian Islamic
Congress could explain why they never made
similar demands of another globe-trotting special
adviser to a prime minister -- Sarkis
Assadourian, a Syrian-born Canadian MP who served
Paul Martin.

Salma Siddiqui, a vice-president of the secular
Muslim Canadian Congress, says there is an
explanation. While distancing herself from Mr.
Khan's politics, Ms. Siddiqui, an Ottawa
businesswoman and long-time Liberal, came to the
former Liberal MP's defence. "Attacks on Wajid
Khan have very little to do with the merits of
his Middle East trip," she said in a statement.
"It is more to do with a sense of misguided
jealousy many Islamists feel when seeing a
secular Muslim MP being chosen to advise the
prime minister."

Indeed, news reports about Mr. Khan's
fact-finding trip indicate he supports a much
more pro-Palestinian position than the
Conservative government had adopted before his
mission. For Canadian Arab and Islamic leaders to
slam an MP who clearly supports their cause
indicates, at best, poor leadership, if not
"misguided jealousy."

Ms. Siddiqui says it is Mr. Khan's refusal to
meet the Islamist groups Hamas and Hezbollah
during his trip that may have riled his critics.

Long before he left for the Middle East, Wajid
Khan had already made many enemies in Islamist
circles. His public denunciation of Islamic
extremists in Canada at the time of the alleged
Toronto terror plot had not gone well with the
country's mosque establishment. More than one
imam had threatened him with political oblivion
in the next election. His spurning of Hamas and
Hezbollah may have been the straw that broke the
camel's back.

Could Wajid Khan be paying the price for standing
up to Islamic extremists? One may take him to
task for crossing the floor, and one hopes the
Prime Minister permits the publication of his
report. But for standing up to Islamic
extremists, Wajid Khan deserves the support of
all Canadians.

Tarek Fatah, a native of Pakistan, is host of The
Muslim Chronicle on CTS-TV and founder of the
Muslim Canadian Congress. He was a delegate to
the recent Liberal convention.

The Nation
posted January 19, 2007 (February 5, 2007 issue)

AYATOLLAH D'SOUZA

by Katha Pollitt

In his new book, The Enemy at Home: The Cultural
Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11, far-right
provocateur Dinesh D'Souza argues that Al Qaeda
really does hate our freedoms--and so does he.
Forget geopolitics--Israel/Palestine, US military
bases in Saudi Arabia, our support for assorted
corrupt regimes, Arab socioeconomic stagnation.
No, 9/11 was provoked by feminism, birth control,
abortion, pornography, feminism, Hollywood,
divorce, the First Amendment, gay marriage, and
did I mention feminism? Muslims fear the West is
out to foist its depraved, licentious, secular
"decadence" on their pious patriarchal societies.
And, D'Souza argues, they're right. Working
mothers! Will & Grace! Child pornography! Our
vulgar, hedonistic, gender-egalitarian, virally
expanding NGO-promoted values so offend
"traditional Muslims" that they have thrown in
their lot with Osama and other America-haters. At
times D'Souza sounds like he can barely keep from
enlisting himself: "American conservatives should
join Muslims and others in condemning the global
moral degeneracy that is produced by liberal
values."

Well, it's a theory. Specifically, as D'Souza
acknowledges, it's a secular version of Jerry
Falwell's contention that 9/11 was a divine
rebuke to "the pagans, and the abortionists, and
the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who
are actively trying to make that an alternative
lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way,
all of them who have tried to secularize
America." Of course, Falwell got hammered; even
George W. Bush had to distance himself. Besides
the obvious objections, God's aim seemed wide of
the mark: Did He think the ACLU had an office in
the Pentagon and that Windows on the World was a
gay bar? The same objection can be raised to
D'Souza's cultural explanation for 9/11: Al Qaeda
didn't send planes crashing into Universal
Studios or the headquarters of Planned
Parenthood. It blew up the emblems of US economic
and military might. Subsequent attacks took place
in countries that sent troops to Iraq, not
condoms to Cairo. As Osama himself has noted,
he's not attacking Sweden.

But let that pass. The Enemy at Home isn't really
about Osama. It's about us--the cultural left, a
k a "the left wing of the Democratic Party" (plus
a few Republican friends), "the domestic
insurgency" that is "working in tandem with bin
Laden to defeat Bush." (With typical
slipperiness, D'Souza claims he's not accusing
anyone of treason--just of allying themselves
with the evildoers out to destroy us. Note that
the book jacket features a torn and burning
flag.) D'Souza boasts that he'll go McCarthy one
better and name names in high places--his long
list includes Hillary Clinton, Michael Moore,
Howard Dean, Mumia Abu-Jamal, Salman Rushdie, the
ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Wendy Kaminer, Planned
Parenthood, Rosie O'Donnell, Alec Baldwin and a
whole bunch of Nation writers, including Eric
Alterman, Jonathan Schell and me. OK, Eric and
me, possibly. And Hillary is a workaholic, so
maybe she promotes America-hatred and child
pornography in the wee hours, after her day job
beefing up the US military. But Rosie O'Donnell
working with bin Laden? Salman Rushdie on the
same side as the fanatics who tried so hard to
kill him? Does D'Souza have any idea how weird
that sounds?

When the left isn't coddling terrorists, it's
alienating "traditional Muslims," a group D'Souza
believes the right ought to win over. The way to
do this is not by building schools and hospitals
that might actually improve their lives; it's by
defending their cultural values, which
fortunately just happen to be D'Souza's own.
(Honor killings and child marriage aren't
Islamic, he claims, just things that regrettably
happen in Muslim societies. As for the veil, he
approvingly quotes Sudanese radical cleric Hassan
Turabi, who claims it lets women be seen as human
beings. It's nice to see the cultural-relativist
shoe back on the far-right foot.)

Actually, the Bush Administration has been doing
just that for some time. It supports the
ultraconservative Saudi regime. At the United
Nations, it lined up with the Vatican, Iran,
Libya and Sudan to oppose comprehensive sex ed.
This last item got them nowhere, except with the
US Christian right--but that's the point.
D'Souza's proposal looks international, but it's
really domestic. It's all about revving up the
flagging Republican base: The Vagina Monologues
caused 9/11! Unfortunately for the Republicans,
not only are there not quite enough true
believers stupid enough to believe that, but most
Americans--not just Eve Ensler and Barney
Frank--are on the other side of the culture wars.
There is no support, none, for restricting
divorce, as the Institute for American Values
discovered when it tried to get state legislators
to make divorce harder to obtain. Polls show
increasing comfort with gay rights. Even South
Dakota balked at outlawing abortion. As for the
vulgar raunch-fest that is popular culture,
Americans, and foreigners too, pay zillions for
the music, movies, TV shows and magazines D'Souza
claims US leftists are cramming down the throats
of the world.

If the last election showed us anything, it was
that the culture wars are not an automatic win
for the right. Moreover, the extraordinary
rejection of Bush's war in Iraq, which crosses
all sorts of demographic and political lines,
shows how little appetite Americans have for
intervention in the Muslim world even when they
really do share the values supposedly being
promoted, like constitutional democracy and
ethnic and religious tolerance. The idea that
Americans are going to embrace the mullahs and
ayatollahs out of a shared dislike of gays and
working mothers is fairly fantastic. Besides, the
Americans who come closest to sharing
"traditional Muslim" family values are
fundamentalists like, um, Jerry Falwell, who
think Islam is the devil's work. The minute they
tried bringing their new best friends to Christ,
they'd find out that a mutual obsession with
female chastity can take you only so far.

The Enemy at Home is not just slimy and nasty and
silly, it's deeply confused. After all, who is
urging Americans to combine with foreign powers
against their fellow citizens? Not Bill Moyers.
Who is saying we must adopt the mores of an alien
culture or be destroyed? It's Dinesh
D'Souza--surrender monkey.

INDIA PAKISTAN ARMS RACE AND MILITARISATION WATCH
Compilation No 167
(December 30, 2006 - 15 January 2007) Year Seven

URL for full text PDF is: http://www.sacw.net/peace/IPARMW167.pdf

  A Nordic workshop on "War, Peace and Development
in Sri Lanka" is held in Göteborg 29-30 January
2007. The aim of the workshop is to bring
together scholars in the Nordic research
environments working on issues related to the
violent and longstanding conflict in Sri Lanka,
and in particular on efforts for achieving peace
and development. The primary focus is on paper
presentations of the participants own research.
The workshop will provide an opportunity for the
participants to link up with other Nordic
scholars studying the causes and effects of the
war in Sri Lanka, peace attempts and the Nordic
involvement in Sri Lanka, as well as development,
reconstruction and humanitarian interventions.
The workshop is a follow-up to a workshop held in
Uppsala in January 2006 and is jointly organised
by the Dept. of Peace and Development Research
(PADRIGU), School of Global Studies, Goteborg
University, and Dept. of Peace and Conflict
Research, Uppsala University. Any questions,
please contact Dr. Camilla Orjuela
<camilla.orjuela at globalstudies.gu.se>

o o o

MAKING HISTORY OUR OWN

AIFACS Gallery, 1 Rafi Marg, New Delhi. Jan 30- Feb 4th, 1-7 pm.

PLEASE JOIN US for the opening on January 30th, 5-7 pm.

The first stop in a year-long journey across
India, work by artists made specially for this
show interpreting individual histories,
inspirations and trajectories. A collective
visual history of the arts made by artists. A
confluence of creative histories in the midst of
celebrating National histories. It launches
simultaneously as a web exhibition:

<http://www.sahmat.org/makinghistoryourown.html>www.sahmat.org/makinghistoryourown.html

Metro: Central Secretariat. Parking at VP house,
Press Club and Central Secretariat Metro.

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/