SACW | Nov. 21, 2006 |

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Nov 20 17:52:02 CST 2006

South Asia Citizens Wire  | November 21, 2006 | Dispatch No. 2320

[1]  Pakistan-India: Demilitarise Siachen Glacier (Tapan Kumar Bose)
[2]  India:  No quotas, please (Arif Mohammed Khan)
[3]  India:  Darkness at noon (Jayant Narlikar)
[4]  USA: Declaration In Defense of Science and Secularism
[5]  India: Remembering 1857 should be free of revenge (Rudrangshu Mukherjee)
[6]  India: Attack most foul - Minorities must be
protected (Edit., The Tribune)
[7]  Book Review: In defence of secularism (Ranjit Hoskote)
[8]  News Papers on Health (Cehat)

____

[1]

Kashmir Times

DEMILITARISE SIACHEN GLACIER
SAVE THE LIVES OF HUNDREDS OF SOLDIERS
By Tapan Kumar Bose

Mr. Pranab Mukherjee, Indian Foreign Minister in
a recent interview has said that the dispute over
Siachen Glacier could be solved, "within hours".
Asked about Pakistan's Foreign Minister Khurshid
Mehmood Kasuri's statement that the Siachen
dialogue had reached a stage where the issue
could be resolved in a few days, Mr. Mukherjee
told the Hindustan Times: "If we all agree, then
anything can be resolved in a few hours. Why do
we need a few days?" Mr Mukherjee also expressed
satisfaction that the Foreign Secretary level
talks had gone along "expected lines."
This is the most encouraging news for thousands
of Indian and Pakistani soldiers and their
families. The settlement of the dispute over
Siachen glacier will not only reduce one of the
roadblocks in the path of peace between India and
Pakistan, it will stop a terrible waste of the
Indian and Pakistani soldiers who have been
posted on the world's highest battle field. For
nearly two decades these soldiers were posted in
a region where the temperature goes down to minus
60 degrees and oxygen is very thin. More soldiers
have died because of cold and pulmonary oedema
than because of fighting. Hundreds of soldiers
have lost their fingers and limbs to frostbite.
According to information, on an average, the
harsh weather of Siachen claims the life of one
Pakistani soldier every fourth day, while one
Indian soldier is killed every other day. Over
1,300 Pakistani soldiers have died on Siachen
between 1984 and 1999. It is estimated that while
about 2000 Indian soldiers have lost their lives
and limbs in Siachen, this operation has cost
India over Rs. 5000 crores. Almost all of the
casualties on both sides have been due to extreme
weather conditions.
The Siachen glacier is an icy wasteland of
doubtful strategic value. Since 1984, the
"snow-warriors" of India and Pakistan have been
locked in a battle for the control of Siachen
glacier. The world's highest battlefield, for
over a decade India and Pakistan have fought at
altitudes of over 22,000 feet in minus 60§C
temperatures. Siachen is the world's largest
non-polar glacier, and thus is sometimes referred
to as the third pole. It is 78 km long and
situated at an altitude of 5,400 meters above sea
level. The Siachen glacier is the great Himalayan
watershed that demarcates central Asia from the
Indian sub-continent, and that separates Pakistan
from China in this region.
Siachen lie on the non-demarcated western side of
the Line of Control (LoC) beyond the map
coordination point known as NJ9842. The 78 km
long Siachen glacier is situated between the
Saltoro ridge to the west and the main Karakoram
Range to the east. The Saltoro ridge originates
from the Sia Kangri in the Karakoram Range. Its
height ranges from 18,000 to 24,000 ft. The major
passes on this ridge are Sia La at 20,000 ft and
Bila Fond La at 19,000 ft.
Before 1984 neither India nor Pakistan had any
permanent presence in the area. In the 1970s and
early 1980s Pakistan permitted several
mountaineering expeditions to climb high peaks on
this glacier. This was to reinforce their claim
on the area as these expeditions arrived on the
glacier with a permit obtained from the
Government of Pakistan.
This triggered a reaction for the Indian side.
Operation Meghdoot, named after the divine cloud
messenger in a Kalidas's famous play, was
launched on 13 April 1984 when the Indian Army
and the Indian Air Force went into the Glacier.
Pakistan quickly responded with troop deployments.
As the Indian Army controls these heights, it has
the tactical advantage of high ground. The
Pakistanis cannot get up to the glacier, while
the Indians cannot come down. Presently India
holds two-thirds of glacier and commands two of
the three passes. Pakistan controls Gyong La pass
that overlooks the Shyok and Nubra river Valley
and India's access to Leh district. The battle
zone comprised an inverted triangle resting on NJ
9842 with Indira Col and the Karakoram Pass as
the other two extremities.
It is not clear as to how many troops are
deployed on the glacier. The estimates of
soldiers vary between 3500 and 10,000. It is said
that while Pakistan maintains three battalions on
the glacier, India has amassed about seven
battalions on Siachen. The Pakistanis are able to
supply most of their posts by road and pack mule.
However, with the forward positions, located at
the height of 21,000 feet, the Indians have to
use helicopters to supply their troops.
It seems that the Indian army is not yet ready to
demilitarize Siachen. On November 11, 2006, at a
press briefing held at the Kumar Forward Logistic
Base, Near Siachen Glacier senior Indian army
officer told the press that the Ladakh region
could be threatened if the glacier and its
surrounding heights are vacated. According to a
news report published in The Hindu on November
12, 2006, the army officer of the 102 Infantry
Brigade claimed that, "The power which controls
the Siachen region would have military advantage
since it looks over the Shyok and Nubra valleys
of Ladakh". The Army reportedly said that
maintaining a full-scale presence in the Siachen
Glacier - wedged between Shaksgam Valley (China)
and Baltistan (Pakistan-occupied Kashmir) - could
govern future boundary talks with China on the
Shaksgam Valley. "It projects our military
strength and capability in operating in such a
difficult terrain. It also shows our national
resolve to protect national sovereignty and
territorial integrity," the army said.
The briefing just two days before the beginning
of the Foreign Secretary level talks in New Delhi
was obviously aimed at influencing the discussion
of demilitarization of Siachen. While I do not
want to go into the military and strategic merits
or demerits of Indian presence on the Saltoro
ridge, I am worried by the mind set of the Indian
army which does not seem to appreciate the value
of confidence building measures like the proposed
agreement on Siachen as a step towards peace
between India and Pakistan. According to the
terms of the agreement under discussion, both
sides will pull; back their troops after making
their current positions on the map. Both sides
will also agree to not occupy these positions
again. The only sticking point it seems is
Pakistan's reservation that India might use the
markings to legitimize their claim on those
positions.
In 1949 Karachi agreement and in 1972 Simla
Agreement, Siachen glacier was left
un-demarcated. While Pakistan had allowed a few
mountaineering expeditions in the late seventies
to the glacier, in 1984, India mounted a military
operation to occupy the heights. In the Simla
Agreement both sides had agreed not to mount
military operation on the LoC. Both sides had
agreed to respect each others stated positions.
Operation Meghdoot might not have violated the
Simla Agreement in technical terms as the area
was not demarcated. But it certainly was an
action against the spirit of the Simla Agreement
which bound both sides to resolve all disputes
through non-military means. We hope the political
leaders of Pakistan and India have discarded the
mind set which endorsed Operation Meghdoot and
Kargil War. By placing our soldiers on these
heights, we have incurred the loss of more than
3000 lives to the harsh weather of Siachen. Such
a cost should be unacceptable to any nation,
particularly in these days when technology can do
the job of monitoring and watching equally well.
I hope our present day political leaders will do
the humanitarian deed- bring our boys back home.
Let not one more India or a Pakistani life be
lost in the old desert of Siachen glacier.

The Times of India

NO QUOTAS, PLEASE
by Arif Mohammed Khan

The release of the Sachar committee report has
prompted many including the prime minister to
express concern over the dismal presence of
Muslims in public services and call for some
corrective action.

One of the suggestions made is to make provisions
for reservation on the lines of scheduled castes
and scheduled tribes.

I wonder if those who are advocating reservation
for Muslims in services are aware of the fact
that Muslim groups are already covered under
reservation as scheduled tribes.

In addition, since 1991, Other Backward
Communities covered under Mandal commission
constitute about 70 per cent of the Muslim
population. In fact, benefit of reservation is
available to almost the entire Muslim population
except the creamy layer.

The figures produced by Sachar committee,
however, prove that despite reservation available
to almost 70 per cent of the Muslim population
things have not improved and Muslim presence in
public services is far from satisfactory.

Now envisage a scenario where notwithstanding the
constitutional bar against reservation on the
basis of religion, Muslims are recognised as
backward and benefit of reservation is extended
to them as one community.

  This will mean inclusion of the creamy layer
which in the first instance will go against the
Supreme Court ruling and then will make things
even more difficult for the really needy among
Muslims.

They would have to compete with the Muslim creamy
layer when today they find it hard to contend
with depressed sections of other religious
denominations for jobs and education.

The problem of Muslim backwardness and
under-representation in public services goes back
to colonial times. In 1878, Syed Ahmed Khan had
said, "Muslims had derived least benefit from
European sciences and literature".

In 1882, appearing before the Education
Commission of the Central Legislative Council, he
presented voluminous evidence to show almost
negligible Muslim presence among the graduates of
Calcutta University. According to his memo there
was no Muslim among postgraduates in law.

Among the bachelors and licentiates of law there
were eight out of 705 and five out 235 Muslims
respectively. Likewise in engineering and
medicine there was not a single Muslim graduate.
In MA courses there were five Muslims out of 326
and in BA there were only 30 out of 1,343.

The memo pointed out that based on the population
covered by Calcutta University the number of
Muslim graduates should have been 1,262 whereas
there were actually just 57. On the basis of
these figures Syed Ahmed pleaded not for job
reservation but government help in initiating
programmes for their educational betterment.

  It is worth noting that this memorandum was
presented just 24 years after the formal collapse
of uninterrupted Muslim rule for almost 800 years.

Before presenting these figures to the commission
it was pointed out that in 1824 when government
decided to start a Sanskrit College in Calcutta,
Hindu leaders met under the leader-ship of
Rammohun Roy and demanded that they did not want
a Sanskrit college but wanted English colleges.

In contrast, in 1835, when Muslims came to know
that government intended to start English
teaching in all schools, they submitted an
application signed by 8,000 moulvis of Calcutta
to stop it.

Muslims vehemently opposed the new system of
education believing that the philosophy and logic
taught in English was at variance with the tenets
of Islam. They looked upon the study of English
as little less than embracing of Christianity.

Later, at the time of starting a committee for
diffusion of knowledge among Muslims, Syed Ahmed
said, "It was a matter of deep regret that
Muslims considered their religion which was so
great and enlightened, weak enough to be
endangered by the study of western literature and
science".

If after 1857 the clergy's opposition to English
and modern education pushed Muslims into
backwardness, after 1937 the politics of
Partition created a negative environment that
hampered an effective and meaningful
participation of Muslims in national life.

Maulana Azad on October 23, 1947 warned, "There
is no use recounting the events of past seven
years, nor will it serve any good.

Yet, it must be stated that the debacle of Indian
Muslims is the result of colossal blunders
committed by Muslim League's misguided
leadership. Now that Indian politics has taken a
new direction, there is no place in it for Muslim
League".

Those who are suggesting reservation of jobs do
not realise that the remedy suggested will prove
worse than the disease. The remedy lies in
compulsory universal education for every Indian
child including Muslims.

Modern education will help in not only correcting
the present imbalances but will liberate Muslims
from obscurantist clergy and communal politics.
But political parties in power feel no
compunction in using Muslim clergy for mobilising
political support at the time of elections.

They will use the Sachar committee report only to
heighten the sense of insecurity and deprivation
among Muslims and then expect the community's
backing during elections.

The writer is a former Union minister.

The Times of India

DARKNESS AT NOON
by Jayant Narlikar

When someone accosts me as an astronomer and asks
my view on whether planets govern our destinies,
I am dismayed. The questioner is usually not an
illiterate villager; he is a mobile-touting,
educated citizen of India. Is he unaware that
scientists no longer take astrology seriously?

The idea that planets rule human destinies seems
to date back to Babylonian and Greek cultures.
There is no reference to planetary astrology in
the Vedas, by the way.

Night-sky watchers had noted that across the
well-regulated, celestial framework of stars a
few bodies had motions that seemed irregular,
sometimes going backward, sometimes forward.

The Greeks called these bodies planets, in their
language wanderers. Why did planets wander?
Scientifically inclined observers followed
Aristotle and tried to place planetary motion in
a geometrically defined framework that would
reveal the pattern behind the wanderings.

Those who were not in this select group assumed
that planets wandered on account of their will
power. From that assumption, they concluded that
the will power of planets was also exercised on
mortals on earth. This belief blossomed into a
large system that came to be called astrology.

It spread far and wide, and found a very positive
reception in India. The scientific approach went
through several hiccups, but eventually the works
of Copernicus, Galileo and Kepler discovered the
real pattern behind planetary motions.

Kepler's findings in the first half of the 17th
century led Isaac Newton to the discovery of the
law of gravitation. Today, we know why planets
wander. They do not have any will power. Rather,
they are inert systems that move in
mathematically determined orbits round the sun.

  Today, space technologists can launch spaceships
that rendezvous with planets at the precisely
calculated times and at precisely calculated
places.

So, not only has the mystique surrounding the
planets disappeared, but they are studied as
physical objects which form part of our solar
system. Given this background, it is bizarre that
people should raise questions on planetary
influence on human affairs.

Astrology is as deeply rooted in the Indian
mindset as the caste system. I have travelled to
more than 40 countries and delivered talks on
astronomical topics. India is the only country
where, after my talk, one of the questions asked
is invariably about astrological beliefs.

Although newspaper columns in many countries
carry forecasts related to the zodiac signs, it
is only in India that these forecasts are taken
seriously. When should you move from your old
house into a new one? What is an auspicious time
to undertake travel?

Is the present period alright for buying a car or
a two-wheeler? Whether it is matching horoscopes
to decide on marital compatibility, or a chief
minister arranging the swearing-in of the
cabinet, planets become a point of reference.

One could argue on behalf of my questioners that
there might exist an unknown physical link
through which planets control different human
beings selectively according to when they were
born. After all, modern science never claims to
know everything at any given time.

Even if one grants this possibility, one can
still do an empirical study of the claimed
planetary influences. Scientists have carried out
controlled experiments of this kind, only to find
no positive signal supporting the hypothesis that
planets influence humans.

  Look at the astrological forecasts given by
different newspapers of the same date. They will
not agree with one another. Science progressed
because it adopted a rational approach towards
hypotheses or theories. For a theory to be taken
seriously, its predictions must be consistent
with all the observed facts.

A theory may fulfil this criterion today, but may
fail to explain some new fact in the future. In
that case the theory will have to be modified or
replaced by a new one. This protocol, which has
worked so well for the progress of science, can
be followed in everyday life by all of us, even
if we are not scientists.

If we are told to believe in certain ideas just
because tradition so dictates, we should rebel
and investigate any factual evidence in support
of those ideas. This is scientific temper.
Astrology examined with a scientific temper does
not survive.

In his Discovery of India, Jawaharlal Nehru
advocated scientific temper. He deplored the fact
that we were overwhelmed by tradition, and that
critical faculties of intelligent people often
cease to function. His hope that political
freedom would change all that has been belied.

Six decades after Independence, ignorance and
superstition continue to flourish. Recall the
irrational response to the news that Ganesha
idols were drinking milk. It is only in India
that TV channels reporting on international
cricket present tarot-card readers with veteran
players to predict the outcome of a match.

Belief in astrology, miracles of godmen and vastu
shastra is on the rise, rather than decline as
Nehru had hoped. Nehru's vision of scientific
temper has fallen by the wayside. Do we live in
the 21st century or the 18th?

The writer is an astrophysicist.

http://www.cfidc.org/

DECLARATION IN DEFENSE OF SCIENCE AND SECULARISM

November 16, 2006

The Center for Inquiry, affiliated with the
Council for Secular Humanism, has organized this
petition in defense of secular and scientific
public policy:

We are deeply concerned about the ability of the
United States to confront the many challenges it
faces, both at home and abroad. Our concern has
been compounded by the failure exhibited by far
too many Americans, including influential
decision-makers, to understand the nature of
scientific inquiry and the integrity of empirical
research. This disdain for science is aggravated
by the excessive influence of religious doctrine
on our public policies.

We are concerned with the resurgence of
fundamentalist religions across the nation, and
their alliance with political-ideological
movements to block science. We are troubled by
the persistence of paranormal and occult beliefs,
and by the denial of the findings of scientific
research. This retreat into mysticism is
reinforced by the emergence in universities of
"post-modernism," which undermines the
objectivity of science.

These disturbing trends can be illustrated by the
push for intelligent design (a new name for
creationism) and the insistence that it be taught
along with evolution. Some 37 states have
considered legislation to mandate this. This is
both troubling and puzzling since the hypotheses
and theories of evolution are central to modern
science. The recent federal court decision in the
Dover, Pa., case has set back, but not defeated,
these efforts. Moreover, the resilience of
anti-evolution movements is supported not only by
religious dogmatism but also by the abysmal
public ignorance of basic scientific principles.
Consider these facts:

     * A recent poll by the Pew Research Center
revealed that 64% of Americans are open to the
idea of teaching intelligent design or
creationism in public schools.
     * Some 42% totally reject evolution or
believe that present forms of life existed since
the beginning of time.
     * 38% would teach only creationism instead of evolutionary theory.
     * Only 26% agree with the predominant
scientific view that life evolved by processes of
natural selection without the need for divine
intervention.
     * The percentage of individuals who accept
the theory of evolution is lower in the United
States than in any other developed country, with
the exception of Turkey.

Recent polls have illustrated other instances of scientific illiteracy:

     * 20% of Americans think that the Sun revolves about the Earth
     * Only 10% know what radiation is
     * Less than one-third can identify DNA as a key to heredity
     * In the U.S., twelfth grade students scored
lower than the average of students in 21 other
countries in science and math.

We think that these dismal facts portend a clear
and present danger to the role of science in the
U.S. In our view it is not enough to teach
specific technical subjects-important as that
is-but to convey to the public a general
understanding of how science works. This requires
both some comprehension of the methods of
scientific inquiry and an understanding of the
scientific outlook. The cultivation of critical
thinking is essential not only for science but
also for an educated citizenry-especially if
democracy is to flourish.

Unfortunately, not only do too many well-meaning
people base their conceptions of the universe on
ancient books-such as the Bible and the
Koran-rather than scientific inquiry, but
politicians of all parties encourage and abet
this scientific ignorance. It is vital that the
public be exposed to the scientific perspective,
and this presupposes the separation of church and
state and public policies that are based on
secular principles, not religious doctrine. Yet
government legislators and executives permit
religion, instead of empirical, scientifically
supported evidence, to shape public policy.
Consider:

     * Embryonic stem cell research, which
promises to deliver revolutionary therapies, has
been needlessly impeded by the misguided claim
that the embryo and/or the first division of
cells in a petri dish (blastocyst) is the
equivalent of a human person. This is rooted in a
moral-theological doctrine that has no basis in
science.

     * The nation spends hundreds of millions of
dollars on faith-based programs of unproven
efficacy, including ill-advised abstinence-only
programs in such areas as drug abuse prevention
and sex education, which are more successful at
promoting misinformation than abstinence.

     * Abstinence policies are advocated abroad
and promotion of condom use rejected, heedless of
the danger of AIDS and of the need for wise
policies aimed to restrain rapid population
growth.

     * Scientific evidence of global warming is
dismissed and the destruction of other species on
the planet is ignored, driven by the misguided
view that the Earth has been given to the human
species as its dominion.

We cannot hope to convince those in other
countries of the dangers of religious
fundamentalism when religious fundamentalists
influence our policies at home; we cannot hope to
convince others that it is wrong to compel women
to veil themselves when we deliberately draw a
veil over scientific knowledge; we cannot hope to
convince others of the follies of sectarianism
when we give preferential treatment to religious
institutions and practices. A mindset fixed in
the Middle Ages cannot possibly hope to meet the
challenges of our times.

Science transcends borders and provides the most
reliable basis for finding solutions to our
problems. We maintain that secular, not
religious, principles must govern our public
policy. This is not an anti-religious viewpoint;
it is a scientific viewpoint. To find common
ground, we must reason together, and we can do so
only if we are willing to put personal religious
beliefs aside when we craft public policy.

For these reasons, we call upon political leaders of all parties:
     * to protect and promote scientific inquiry
     * to base public policy insofar as possible
on empirical evidence instead of religious faith
     * to provide an impartial and reliable source
of scientific analysis to assist Congress, for
example, by reviving the Congressional Office of
Technology Assessment
     * to maintain a strict separation between
church and state and, in particular, not to
permit legislation or executive action to be
influenced by religious beliefs.

Science and secularism are inextricably linked
and both are indispensable if we are to have
sound public policies that will promote the
common good, not only of Americans but of the
global community.

In-agreement signatures, for the Declaration in
Defense of Science and Secularism

Baruj Benacerraf, PhD-Nobel Laureate (Physiology
and Medicine), Dana-Farber Cancer Inst.
Paul Boyer, PhD-Nobel Laureate (Chemistry), Prof.
Emer., Univ. of California-Los Angeles
Steven Weinberg, PhD-Nobel Laureate (Physics);
Prof. of Physics, Univ. of Texas-Austin
Jo Ann Boydston-former exec. dir., John Dewey Foundation
Gwen W. Brewer, PhD-Prof. Emer., California State Univ.-Northridge
Stephen Barrett, MD-Board Chairman, Quackwatch, Inc.
Arthur Caplan, PhD-Chair, Dept. of Medical Ethics, Univ. of Pennsylvania
Elizabeth Daerr-Exec. Dir., CfI/Washington, DC
Daniel C. Dennett, PhD-Prof. of Philosophy, Tufts Univ.
Edd Doerr-President, Americans for Religious Liberty, Silver Spring, MD
Ann Druyan-author, producer; President, The Carl Sagan Foundation, Ithaca, NY
Martin Gardner-author and editor
Rebecca Goldstein, PhD-author, Visiting Prof. of Philosophy, Trinity College
Adolf Grünbaum, PhD- Prof. and Chair, Center for
Philosophy of Science, Univ. of Pittsburgh
Peter Hare, PhD-Distinguished Prof. Emer. of Philosophy, SUNY Buffalo
James A. Haught-Executive Editor, The Charleston Gazette
David Helfand, PhD-Prof. of Astronomy, Columbia Univ.
Gerald Holton, PhD-Prof. of Physics, Harvard Univ.
Leon Jaroff-senior science editor (retired), Time and Discover
Donald C. Johanson, PhD-Dir., Institute of Human Origins, Arizona State Univ.
Stuart D. Jordan, PhD-Prof. Emer., NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Barry Karr-Exec. Dir., Center for Inquiry/Transnational, Amherst, NY
Daniel Kelleher-entrepreneur, Kalispell, MT
Tom Knapp-Vero Beach, FL
Virginia Knapp-Vero Beach, FL
David Koepsell, PhD, JD-Exec. Dir., Council for Secular Humanism
Lawrence Krauss, PhD-Prof. of Physics and
Astronomy, Case Western Reserve Univ., Cleveland,
OH
Paul Kurtz, PhD- Prof. Emer. of Philosophy, SUNY
Buffalo; Chairman, Center for
Inquiry/Transnational
Ronald A. Lindsay, PhD, JD-Legal Dir., CfI-Office
of Public Policy, Washington, DC
Jere H. Lipps, PhD-Prof., Museum of Paleontology, Univ. of California-Berkeley
Elizabeth Loftus, PhD-Dist. Prof. of Psychology
and Social Behavior, Univ. of California-Irvine
Steve Lowe-Washington Area Secular Humanists
Kenneth Marsalek-founding member & past
president, Washington Area Secular Humanists
Joe Nickell, PhD-Senior Research Fellow, CSICOP
at Center for Inquiry, Amherst, NY
Matthew Nisbet, PhD-Asst. Prof. of Communications, American Univ.
Steven Pinker, PhD-author and Prof. of Psychology, Harvard Univ.
Elie A. Shneour, PhD-President and Research
Director, Biosystems Research Inst., San Diego,
Calif.
Peter Singer, PhD-Prof. of Philosophy, Princeton Univ.
Victor Stenger, PhD-Prof. Emer., Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Hawaii
Edward Tabash, JD-Chair, First Amendment Task Force
Lionel Tiger, PhD- Prof. of Anthropology, Rutgers Univ.
Toni Van Pelt-Policy Dir., CfI-Office of Public Policy, Washington, DC
Edward O. Wilson, PhD-Pellegrino University Prof. Emer., Harvard Univ.

*Institutions for identification only

The Telegraph
November 05, 2006

MORE THAN GRAVE
- Remembering 1857 should be free of revenge

by Rudrangshu Mukherjee

Ravaged by the present

The revolt of 1857 has been stalked by silly
controversies ever since it began. British
officers in 1857 got misled into the controversy
about the greased cartridges, which many of them
believed in their delusion had caused the huge
conflagration. One hundred years later,
historians became embroiled in a needless debate
about nomenclature, what to call the rebellion:
mutiny, war of independence, what have you.
Nearing the 150th anniversary, a controversy has
been sparked off by the restoration of the grave
in Delhi of John Nicholson, who led the British
attack in 1857 to recover Delhi from the rebels.

The grave has been renovated by the British
government, and this has provoked a public outcry
because it has been seen as an affront to
nationalist sentiments since Nicholson was
responsible for the death of many Indians, some
of whom were innocent of defying British
authority.

Those familiar with the events of 1857 and its
history will find nothing new in this kind of
controversy. Kanpur was the site of three of the
worst bloodbaths of the rebellion - on the river
at Satichaura Ghat, where the rebels massacred
the Britons who had been promised safe passage by
boat to Allahabad, the killing of the survivors
from Satichaura Ghat in an enclosed room called
Bibighur and the subsequent vengeance of James
Neill after the British recovered Kanpur. To
commemorate the Britons who had been killed in
the two massacres, the British erected a statue -
Angel of Mercy - near the well into which the
dead bodies had been thrown after the Bibighur
killing. In the remembrance of the victors, the
Indians who had been butchered by Neill needed no
commemoration. Indians and non-Christians were
not allowed to go into the enclosed area
containing the well and the statue. On August 15,
1947, people broke into the enclosed area and
damaged the nose of the Angel of Mercy. The
statue had to be removed and in its place now
stands a bust of Nana Sahib, one of the leaders
of the revolt in Kanpur. There took place a
substitution of icons.

The removal of the statue in Kanpur had a bizarre
prequel in 1927 in Madras, a city that had been
left totally untouched by the revolt. On Mount
Road, there was a statue of James Neill, and in
August 1927, a Hindu and a Muslim youth tried to
disfigure the statue. When arrested they admitted
that they had actually wanted to destroy it after
they had learnt of the atrocities perpetrated by
Neill as he had led the counter insurgency
operations between Allahabad and Kanpur. The
matter would have ended there had not a man
called Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi entered the
proceedings. He wrote in his journal Young India
that "there seems to be no doubt that as national
consciousness grows, the resentment over the
insolent reminders, which statues are, of abused
British prowess and British barbarity will grow
in strength." Gandhi considered the statue to be
an "insult to the nation" because it was an
emblem of India's slavery. His objection was
based on what he had read of Neill's activities.
He was unwilling to accept that Neill was a hero
because he had only successfully instituted a
reign of terror in countering an insurgency.
Gandhi said for reasons of national self-respect,
the statue should be removed. But a resolution
proposing the removal was defeated in the Madras
Legislative Council.

What Gandhi, and many other Indians failed to
recognize and admit was the fact that 1857 saw a
level of violence on both sides that was quite
unprecedented in the history of British rule in
India. The rebels and the British had carried out
acts of unbelievable cruelty. Following Gandhi's
criterion of non-violence, it is difficult to
remember any one, Briton or Indian, as a hero in
1857. Nationalist myth-making has not always
followed Gandhi's high moral standards. Thus the
Angel of Mercy in Kanpur could be replaced by a
statue of Nana Sahib who has to bear the moral,
if not direct, responsibility for the killings
that took place at Satichaura Ghat and the
Bibighur.

One hundred and fifty years after the event, it
is important for both Britons and Indians to
accept that both sides had perpetrated terrible
acts of violence. One side used violence to
protect their possessions in India from a real
and violent threat from those who had been
conquered and dominated by the British. The other
side used violence to defy the dominance and to
break it. 1857 is not a moment of which either
India or Britain can be proud. The year
represents a common legacy of violence.
Remembrance should thus be bereft of revenge.

The renovation of Nicholson's tomb highlights
another aspect of the way we, as Indians, treat
our heritage. All over India there are remains of
the raj: graves, houses in which the former white
rulers lived, monuments they built to commemorate
their triumphs and even cities that they
established. These sites cannot be ignored and
left to the ravages of nature on the pretext that
they are not part of our history. British rule in
India, for good or for bad, is part of India's
history and culture. We cannot deny or refuse to
own the colonial heritage. Thus those who fought
to preserve British rule in India are also part
of India's history. If we neglect Nicholson's
tomb by extending the same logic, we should
ignore all of Lutyens' Delhi since it was built
to represent the triumph of the British raj in
India. But we have made New Delhi the capital of
the republic. Nicholson's grave and other similar
remains of the raj should be seen as part of
India's rich and variegated past.

There is another associated problem. As a people,
Indians are not very respectful towards
historical monuments. My friend, Toby Sinclair, a
London-born Scot who has made India his home, is
a tireless traveller across India. Recently, he
discovered in Ghazipur, in eastern Uttar Pradesh,
a memorial to Lord Cornwallis. It is an exquisite
marble monument set in manicured lawns that are
fenced by well-clipped hedges. It is a little
piece of England in eastern UP. Toby's surprise
gave way to despair when he noticed a portion of
the marble disfigured by a visitor who had found
no other better place to express his feelings for
the woman in his life (see picture). Such
disfigurement of historical monuments is not an
uncommon occurrence in India. In this context,
both the Archaeological Survey of India and
INTACH - two bodies engaged in the preservation
and restoration of historical sites and monuments
- perform a thankless task.

A historical site, be it an archaeological
excavation, a monument, a grave, a cluster of
temples and so on, is something more than its
physical shape and presence. They are all
repository of memories. Sometimes these memories
are not kind and pleasant, yet they have to be
preserved if India is to be mature and sensitive
in the remembrance of things past.
History-writing cannot perhaps ever be free of
politics and ideology, but remembrance and
commemoration can be, or should be.

The Tribune
November 17, 2006

Editorial
Attack most foul
Minorities must be protected

IT is a matter of national shame that the
poisonous weed of religious intolerance, which
has already brought to India the ignominy of
Graham Staines murder, is taking roots at the
unlikeliest of places. Who would have thought
that a Christian preacher would be thrashed in a
relatively peaceful place like Yamunanagar in
Haryana? While the priest, Mr A.M. Samuel,
President of the N-W Region of Indian Pentacostal
Church of God, and others say that they were
there only to propagate the name of Jesus and to
hold prayers, the angry mob allegedly consisting
of BJP and Bajrang Dal activists insists that
they were trying to convert Hindus to
Christianity. Even if it is conceded, for
arguments' sake, that such indeed was the motive
of the congregation, still nobody had the right
to take the law into his own hands.

What is all the more galling is the fact that the
troublemakers were accompanied by a large number
of local residents who do not owe allegiance to
any militant organisation or group. Apparently,
their feelings had been aroused with the help of
vicious propaganda. That is highly disturbing.
Only recently, 30 Hindu activists were arrested
in Mohali for reportedly protesting against a
programme being organised by the local church.
Two months ago, an equally ugly incident had
taken place at Loreto Convent in Lucknow. Such
instances can by multiplied if one goes a little
further back in time.

The situation demands that the police has to
remain alert against the mischief-makers who are
always keen to tread on minority rights. It
should now immediately swing into action and
bring the guilty to book. Only then would the
apprehensions of the minorities be assuaged.
Community leaders also need to ensure that the
venom of religious hatred is not allowed to be
spread. Fanaticism has no place in a plural and
multi-cultural country like India.

Book Review / The Hindu

IN DEFENCE OF SECULARISM

by Ranjit Hoskote

Examines the claims of religion as a magisterium
in the domain of knowledge and in public sphere

THE WRONGS OF THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT -- Reflections
on Science, Secularism and Hindutva: Meera Nanda;
Three Essays Collective, P.O. Box 6 Palam Vihar,
Gurgaon, Haryana-122017. Rs. 150.

The collapse of the Republican ascendancy earlier
this month would seem to have brought the
evangelical-expansionist juggernaut of Right-wing
America to a halt, just as the electoral defeat
of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA)
government may appear to have checked the march
of Hindutva. But neither the United Progressive
Alliance's (UPA) triumph in India nor that of the
Democrats in the U.S. should blind us to the fact
that both societies must continue to cope with
the deep, indwelling and unstemmed current of
reactionary intolerance flowing beneath the
edifices of their modernity. This intolerance
bases itself on the infallibility of judgments
made in the name of religious belief; on the
unquestionability of claims asserted by
religiosity; and on the absolute primacy of a
politicised religiosity.

Meera Nanda, who is currently a John Templeton
Foundation Fellow in Religion and Science, has
confronted this phenomenon courageously in her
writings, especially in the excellent Prophets
Facing Backward (2004). She has examined the
claims of religion as a magisterium, both in the
domain of knowledge and in the public sphere
where the dramas of social change and political
action are enacted. Nanda is particularly
concerned with the manner in which the
universally admired scientific knowledge is
sought to be coopted by idioms of contemporary
religiosity; and with the emergence of mystical
populisms that threaten to coopt even legitimate
popular mobilisations of resistance into the
schema of reactionary politics.

The malaise

In the three passionate and closely argued essays
- `Secularism without Secularisation?', `Hindu
Ecology in the Age of Hindutva', and `Making
Science Sacred' - that constitute The Wrongs of
the Religious Right, Nanda offers a compelling
diagnosis of this malaise, both in India and in
the West. Her accounts remind us of the extent to
which we, as postcolonial Indians, are held
hostage by the hobbled, half-hearted attempt at
modernisation that lies at the foundation of our
nation-state. Ours is the tragedy of a society
that was redeemed from imperial colonialism, but
not from its own demons: we gave ourselves the
lineaments of a democratic polity, but never
purged our society and culture of their feudal
contents, their capacity to sustain regressive
attitudes, their structurally sanctioned
oppression and violence.

Nanda states her central thesis succinctly:
"Secularism, whatever the model, is only as
strong as cultural secularisation is deep; no
secularism without secularisation of the civil
society... and unless the cultural habit of
accepting authority based upon faith and/or
non-sensory, mystical experiences gives way to a
cultural habit of demanding good, falsifiable
evidence, secularism will forever remain
threatened by those who invoke metaphysical
verities backed by God, sacred books and
traditions."

Critique

She emphasises the salutary insight that
reactionary attitudes are not the monopoly of
formerly colonised nations, and that the apparent
hypermodernity achieved by economic change does
not automatically guarantee the dissolution of
revanchist, anti-modernist dogmata. In her
thoroughgoing critique of eco-spiritualities,
Nanda draws attention to the dark side of the
`alternative', whether at home or abroad: the New
Age farrago of pagan revivalism, racialist
doctrine, nature mysticism and the occult that
passes for a philosophy of life in the absence of
well-directed secular efforts, especially after
the collapse of the orthodox Left internationally
and the self-compromising of India's Centrist
parties by their `soft Hindutva' gestures.

In such a situation, even well- meaning and
compassionate religious approaches can be
poisoned by the company they keep. As a key
example, Nanda invites us to consider the
cooption of an environmentalism premised on local
conceptions of the sacred by the ideology of
monolithic Hindu nationalism. Eventually, she
points out, environmental movements must be seen
as class-based political movements aimed towards
securing their participants a better life, rather
than as a defence of some mystical ideal of
Nature. Movements that adopt mystical populism
must eventually fail, or turn into monsters.

Nanda's is a sane and cautionary voice. She has
no time for the muffling devices of tact; nor can
we afford these at the present time. And yet,
close engagement with extremists can leave one
with an unrelenting extremism of one's own.
Perhaps Nanda must exercise some vigilance
against this tendency. For instance, she does
Madhav Gadgil and Ramachandra Guha an injustice:
in her critique of their ecological history,
which emphasises sacred groves as traditional
means of pursuing forest conservation and
promoting bio-diversity, she manages to suggest
that they are defenders of the caste system. This
is to mistake description for prescription; she
also dismisses the evidence that sacred groves
were not confined to the upper castes, but were
maintained by a wide variety of social actors,
not all Hindu.

Also, institutions that may have guaranteed
ecological stability and social consensus at one
time could, in changed socio-political
circumstances, have become ossified. Surely this
should not prevent us from retrieving the best
features of viable historical models, in what I
would describe as an attitude of optimistic
retrievalism?

`Optimistic retrievalism'

After all, Nanda has her own moments of
optimistic retrievalism: she proposes Buddhism as
a possible religion of reason that could serve
the interests of a truly progressive India. In
this, she pursues Dr. Ambedkar's approach towards
the retrieval of Buddhism; and her understanding
of Buddhism, like his, is a highly selective one.
Following Dr. Ambedkar, Nanda extracts the more
down-to-earth and practical Theravada strand from
the Buddhist corpus and recasts it in a
`practical ethics' mould - while ignoring such
highly influential idioms as the Yogachara,
Madhyamika and Mahasanghika, which are
idealistic, even mystical, and resistant to
rationalist revisionism.

I say this, not to diminish Nanda's admirable and
indeed crucial engagement with Buddhism, but to
indicate that the tendency towards optimistic
retrievalism can never be wished away or
abandoned, merely because it is so often eclipsed
by its sinister twin, reactionary revivalism.
Besides, the tendency to reify positivist science
as the only guarantee of a life worth living can
lead us into another pitfall: the espousing of an
insatiable criticality that leaves little space
for experiences of grace, doubt and wonderment,
because it refuses to distinguish between the
promotion of dangerous mass delusions and the
necessary re-enchantment with the world.

Dear All

We are pleased to announce that two new
background papers have been posted online.

Tracing Human Rights in Health . This paper is an
endeavor to situate the evolution of right to
health in a historical context. It highlights the
debates within the newly emergent discipline of
Health & Human Rights. Paper has sections on
genesis of public health & human rights,
justifiability of health rights from the
International Law point of view, human rights
issues affecting the enjoyment of health right,
experience of developing countries and India in
implementing the health right. The conclusion
reflects on the aspect of operationalizing right
to health Movement. Download full paper

Identities in Motion; Migration and Health in
India .  Human spatial mobility started about two
decades ago for various systemic, economic and
individual reasons, but there is a lack of
systematic information and health risk assessment
among the mobile population. This paper addresses
the issue of migration and its public health
implications within the human rights framework.
Migrants have always been conceptualized as
problematic in the context of policies both
nationally and internationally. This mindset has
led to complex public health issues posed by
migration. Understanding migrants' health extends
to capturing the underlying determinants
including adequate nutrition, housing, healthy
environment, and occupational conditions, access
to health related education and information as
well as access to health care and education.
Healthcare of migrants has suffered due to the
presence of divergent models of how and when
nations are responsible for the health and safety
of individuals. The most important factor that
separates the rights from being realized is the
gross underestimation of migrants both at origin
and destination. Download full paper

Papers are also available on

http://www.cehat.org/newp.html

Regards

Gunjan

CEHAT (Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes)
Survey No, 2804-2805,
Aaram Society Road,
Vakola, Santacruz (East)
Mumbai 400055
INDIA

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/