SACW | 1 April 2005

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Mar 30 15:56:39 PST 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire  | 1 April,  2005
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]  Democracy, secularism and Pakistan (Razi Azmi)
[2]  For a United Front of Peace between India and Pakistan (Mubashir Hasan)
[3]  India / US: Modi Visa Denial: Celebrate but
Organize Further (Vinod Mubayi and Daya Varma)
[4]  Stand up to the global gaze - For that,
India only needs to be faithful to its own
Constitution (Pamela Philipose)
[5]  India: Peace and Irresponsibility (Kalpana
Kannabiran, Volga, Vasanth Kannabiran)
[6] Publication Announcement :
'December 13 : Terror over Democracy  by Nirmalangshu Mukherjee'

--------------

[1]

Daily Times
March 31, 2005

DEMOCRACY, SECULARISM AND PAKISTAN
Razi Azmi

A public meeting of the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal
(MMA) in Lahore on the occasion of Pakistan Day
on March 23, attended largely by seminary
students, was remarkable because of the
participation of Imran Khan. He extended his
support to the alliance and congratulated it for
launching a movement for the restoration of
democracy in the country.
Imran accused President Pervez Musharraf of
seeking to implement a Western agenda in Pakistan
in the garb of enlightened moderation. "We need
dignity, respect and honour in the comity of
nations but the General wants to make us slaves",
he is quoted as saying.
Those who have been watching Imran Khan's
headlong descent from a Westernised socialite and
cricket idol to a West-bashing Islamised
nationalist, will be saddened but not surprised
at this denouement.
newspaper ("Imran Khan, the MMA and Two-Nation
Theory," March 25, 2005), his information
secretary, Akbar S Babar, published a rejoinder
("Imran and Two-Nation Theory", Daily Times,
March 26, 2005), in which he accused "these
'enlightened moderates' [of] conveniently
ignor[ing] that Pakistan's descent to chaos was
led by secular and liberal-minded Harvard and
Sandhurst-educated ruling elite who denied
justice, education, and basic healthcare to the
majority."
Some members of the Pakistani ruling elite Mr
Babar alluded to may have gone to Harvard or
Sandhurst, but they most certainly cannot be
accused of being liberal or secular. Education
and appearances can be deceptive. Imran Khan
himself is a case in point. For all his Western
education and lifestyle, it is now impossible to
distinguish him from typical Pakistani demagogues
and bigots. Like them, he is denouncing the West,
using nationalism and religion as political props
and prescribing the hangman's noose to abolish
corruption.
The ease with which Imran now mingles with the
likes of MMA is self-evident. Not a trace of
Oxford, Sussex or London in him! He's all Lahore
- that too of the obscurantist variety - with
Peshawar added for good measure.
To set the record straight, Pakistan's "descent
to chaos" occurred in the 1980s and 1990s, during
the period of the country's accelerated
Islamisation, first under a mullah masquerading
as a general and then under his civilian protégé
who lived in another planet from Harvard or
Sandhurst.
Looking beyond Pakistan, Turkey and Malaysia are
the only two Islamic countries that stand out in
terms of economic and socio-political progress,
rather than being an embarrassment to the Ummah.
The former is secular by conviction and the
latter by compulsion. On the other hand, the
Taliban's Afghanistan and the Ayatollahs' Iran,
overtly anti-secular theocracies, are nothing to
brag about.
In fact, the world remembers the Taliban regime
as a blot on mankind. It had no constitution, no
rules of governance and no policy that we know
of. Mullah Umar viewed himself as Allah's
representative in God-damned Afghanistan and, as
such, he claimed to know what was good for his
nation. In Iran, the elected government has less
authority than the mayor of a large Western city,
while real power is exercised by an unelected
Council of Guardians consisting of Ayatollahs and
their appointees.
Both the Taliban and the Ayatollahs are the
unadulterated products of Islamic religious
schools, graduates of Akora Khattak and Qom, to
be precise. None can accuse their governments of
being in the least infiltrated by Harvard and
Sandhurst-educated liberals.
In the same speech, Imran Khan said that General
Pervez Musharraf's policies went against the
grain of the Two-Nation theory. Over 50 years
after the creation of Pakistan, the debate about
this theory and what the founder of the nation
envisioned for Pakistan is only a matter of
academic interest.
However, Mr Jinnah's oft-quoted speech of August
11, 1947 makes an emphatic case for a secular
state and cannot be juxtaposed against his other
statements that have been quoted by Imran Khan's
information secretary in support of an Islamic
polity. Firstly, in this speech, Mr Jinnah
unequivocally and unambiguously spelled out his
secular vision for the future state. And,
secondly, it was not a casual remark to the press
or a public speech to mobilise the masses or win
their votes, but a well-considered statement to
the Constituent Assembly intended to impress upon
lawmakers his thoughts for the new state.
But far more important is what the people of
Pakistan want and need in the 21st century. It
can be assumed that they would like to live
according to the time-tested principles of free
and fair elections, federalism, minority rights,
women's rights and equality before law, all of
which are successfully practised and safeguarded
under what is broadly known as the democratic
secular model first evolved in the West but now
accepted - though not always followed - around
the world. If, as we are repeatedly reminded,
Islam invented and guarantees all the above, it's
all the more reason to adopt them.
Some obvious facts are incontrovertible. The
secular West is an example of success. Even
next-door India, which began life with a secular
constitution, is hailed for its achievements. We
embarked on our journey at the same time with the
Objectives Resolution, with its emphasis on
religion, and immediately began to teeter on the
brink of collapse. Years of sporadic Islamisation
from the beginning, followed by high-potency
doses of the same in the 1980s, led to a
situation where Pakistan began to be seen as a
"failed state".
A successful socio-political and economic system
can only flourish where reason reigns and there
are checks and balances, particularly a free
press and an independent judiciary. These are
incompatible with a religiously-oriented
government with theocrats controlling the organs
of the state.
It is an irony of Pakistani politics that the
religious fundamentalists aligned in the MMA are
now pretending to be champions of free and fair
elections and insisting that President Musharraf
cease to be army chief, although there is nothing
particularly Islamic about either demand.
Elections based on the principle of "one man, one
vote" and civilian supremacy in politics are both
Western inventions.
Elections put the MMA in power in two provinces
and they reckon that, with the presidency
weakened, they will be able to enter the portals
of power in Islamabad, with or without elections.
Once ensconced in power, their professed belief
in "one man, one vote" will mutate into "one man,
one vote, one time". The history of succession in
Muslim countries and the recent experience of
Afghanistan and Iran testify to this.
Besieged by the mullahs and infiltrated by their
allies, sympathisers and opportunists, the
Pakistani cabinet has just cast away "enlightened
moderation" to reinsert the column for religion
in Pakistani passports. Undoubtedly, it is a
defeat for the liberal forces. So, too, is the
Great Khan's joining forces with the MMA.
Before proceeding further down this path, the
Oxford-educated Imran ought to spend some time in
Peshawar or speak to people who fled the tyranny
of the Taliban or the rule of the Ayatollahs and
honestly ask himself whether that is the future
he contemplates for Pakistan - for its youth,
women and minorities, in particular.

Mainstream
March 19, 2005

FOR A UNITED FRONT OF PEACE BETWEEN INDIA AND PAKISTAN

Mubashir Hasan

Dr Mubashir Hasan is a former Minister for
Planning and Finance in Pakistan; he held the
post under Z. A Bhutto in the seventies. The
following is the keynote speech he delivered on
February 26, 2005 at the first session of the
Seventh Joint Convention of the Pakistan-India
Peoples' Forum for Peace and Democracy. (that
took place in New Delhi from February 25 to 28,
2005). -Editor

Last week I happened to visit the Human Rights
Commission of Pakistan. In its basement is
located the den of the famous Mr Nizam Din who is
the oldest and the most meticulous keeper in
Pakistan of subject-wise newspaper clippings. His
files number in hundreds. Upon my request, he
handed over to me two files of Pakistan-India
clippings for the year 2004. One was about
people-to-people contacts and the other was
government-to-government contacts.
Throughout the year I had lived in Lahore keeping
my eyes and ears open. I read four newspapers a
day and assumed I knew what was happening between
India and Pakistan. But I was in for the surprise
of my life.
One of the files in my hand was really a register
of newspaper size pages. Clippings filled up the
entire space-pages after pages-nearly 250 in
number. I was staggered. What the newspapers
reported of the people going from one country to
the other, of what they said and how they met in
their scores of thousands, the sheer volume of
it, was simply overwhelming. I was full of joy.
Was not the people-to-people contact one of the
aims for which our Forum was founded? The little
hole in the bund (embankment), made by the forum,
which started the trickle of traffic of peace
lovers in 1995 was now as wide as a floodgate.
However, my joy was short-lived. What do these
people going from one country like waves in a
river want? What does their desire to cross the
border and meet their likes on the other side
mean? What do they want? What are their yearnings?
Then came the thunderbolt as I thought of similar
episodes in the history of India and Pakistan.
The periods of peace and harmony among the main
communities had ended up in terrible conflicts
and killings. What awaits us this time?-I
wondered. It still causes great concern in my
mind. I want to share my concern with you.
I realised that in the course of last one hundred
years, this was not the firt time that the
peoples of the subcontinent had shown
extraordinary concurrence in wanting something.
In the past the masses had rallied behind leaders
who they thought would deliver to them what the
masses wanted and for which they showed
historical unity.
In the second decade of the twentieth century,
soon after the partition of Bengal was annulled,
the people and their leaders exhibited a
remarkable sense of harmony. The political
parties representing the two main communities
closed their differences and signed what came to
be known as the Lucknow Pact. In those days the
annual sessions of the Congress and the Muslim
League were held concurrently in the same city.
Many leaders would first speak in one meeting and
then walk to the other meeting and speak there
also. The great Khilafat movement was the high
point of this unity in terms of political action.
Then the leaders lost control over thier followers.
The great harmony of the early twentieth century
could not last even a score of years.
Unprecedented large-scale communal riots
followed. A little more than a hundred lives were
lost during the period of over five years of
riots.
Much alarmed, the political leaders modified
their goal. Hitherto the main parties had the
attainment of Dominion Status in the British
Empire as their political objective. In 1930 the
All India Congress changed its objective to
complete independence. Ten years later, the
so-called Pakistan Resolution was passed by the
Muslim League. Serious negotiations with the
British started soon after the release of the
Congress leaders from their incarceration in jail.
There are three main features of the political
landscape of India in the first half of the
twentieth century. Firstly, India had political
leaders of great stature. They believed in
ironing out their differences through
negotiations. They never ceased talking to each
other.
Secondly, the masses of India believed that what
they wanted and what the leaders demanded from
the British was one and the same thing. The
masses believed in their leaders, made tremendous
sacrifices of lives and property on the
assumption that once independence was achieved,
their social, economic and other problems will be
solved.
The political fight for independence from the
British was epoch-making. It was a glorious
period of our history.
Thirdly, the masses of the subcontinent are prone
to take matters in their own hands. At times, in
defiance of leaders and government, they take to
the streets and indulge in acts of brutality and
violence. The kilings at Chauri-Chaura, the riots
in the twenties and the series of violent acts
before August 1947 are examples.
After independence, the new nation-state of
Pakistan remained restive for a quarter of a
century. Neither the rulers nor the political
parties in Opposition had any linking of what was
in store for them in 1971.
What are we in for now? This is the crucial
question before the countries of South Asia,
especilaly for India and Paksitan.
For forty years, the two governments and the two
peoples remained united in confronting each
other. Then came a breach in the lobby of the
confrontationists. Joint statements of eminent
persons from the two countries began to appear in
newspapers urging friendship and good relations
and avoidance of conflict. A large number of
conferences were held and delegations were
exchanged.
Then our Forum initiated people-to-people
contacts. A trickle of peace activists started
flowing through the hole bored by the forum in
the great bund of confrontation. That little hole
of 1995 has now become a floodgate. Thousands
upon thousands are passing through it.
The crucial question is: what do the peoples of
India and Pakistan, who are showing unprecedented
bonhomie for the last decade want? Do the leaders
on both sides know what the people want? If they
are not aware there is a danger of repetition of
the catastrophes of the past.
We say that the people want Peace and Democracy.
But what does Peace mean? What does Democracy
mean? Are the meaning of Peace and Democracy
identical for the people and the leaderships?
For the people, Peace means security of life and
property, food, housing, clothing, education,
healthcare, justice, freedom from police and
bureaucratic oppression, equality of opportunity,
dignity, rule of law and being a citizen of a
country that is respected in the comity of
nations and Democracy means a system of
governance that fulfils all their wishes and
aspirations through the exercise of their power
to elect their governments.
For the elites, Peace and Democracy have more or
less the same meaning as they have for the people
except that the elites already enjoy most of
these benefits. The conduct of the elites in our
countries has shown that they restrict the
benefits of Peace and Democracy to their own tiny
section of the population. By and large the
benefits and Peace and Democracy do not reach the
masses. Therefore, on the ground, Peace and
Democracy have different meanings for the elites
and for the people.
The billion plus peoples of Pakistan and India
are faced with three major contradictions. One is
between the elites and the people of each country
as they have different interpretation of the
terms Peace and Democracy; the second is between
the confrontationist elites of Pakistan and their
counterparts in India; and the third is between
the peoples and the elites of both the countries
on one side and the military and political might
of the Western powers.
The elites and the peoples of India and Pakistan
have major common goals when faced with the
hegemonic political and economic designs of the
imperial West. This is an issue on which the
countries can forge a united front. Such a front
when forged can be a formidable factor in
promoting peace internally in each country and
between the two countries.
The contradiction between the elites and the
masses in both the countries is resolvable by
empowering the people at all levels of
governance. The basic components of those
exercising power in India and Pakistan are the
people, magistracy, jails, tax collector and
secret services. Unless power is devolved in
these five spheres of governance, the social
contract between the people and state shall
remain unconsummated and there shall not be the
desirable level of harmony in the land.
As long as there is no internal harmony in
Pakistan and in India, the two countries shall
remain vulnerable to the possibilities of discord
and conflict between them. Sections of the elites
and foreign powers shall always like to take
advantage from our internal disharmony.
We must redefine and reconstruct our goals. We
have to restate our objectives by using terms
that cause no confusion between the people and
the leadership. We have to mobilise the people
afresh. There should be no ambiguity between what
the people want and what the leadership
advocates. We must do all we can to avoid the
fate that befell the periods of harmony in the
past. There must not be another conflict, another
conflagration.

International South Asia Forum Bulletin
April, 2005

MODI VISA DENIAL: CELEBRATE BUT ORGANIZE FURTHER
by Vinod Mubayi and Daya Varma

Narendra Modi, the Chief Minister of Gujarat, a
hard-line RSS pracharak, the master mind of the
Gujarat pogrom that killed over 2000 minority
Muslims in February-March 2002, and the leader of
a state government that has perpetrated and
continues to perpetrate many atrocities against
Christians and Muslims, was invited to visit the
U.S. and U.K. in late March 2005. The invitation
to Modi was extended by the Asian American Hotel
Owners Association (AAHOA), an organization that
includes many small motel owners of Gujarati
origin; its board has several fervent supporters
of Hindutva on it. The public events that Modi
was going to address included: a speech at
Madison Square Garden in New York City sponsored
by the Association of Indian Americans for North
America (an NRI Hindutva-front organization), a
keynote address to the AAHOA annual convention in
Orlando, FL, and another speech at California
State University in Long Beach, CA. The Florida
event, it is important to note, was co-sponsored
by many premier American multinational
corporations such as American Express, the
Cendant Corporation, US Franchising Service, etc.
that are part of the lucrative hotel service
industry; AAHOA members themselves own real
estate estimated at $40 billion. Chris Matthews,
host of the NBC TV show "Hardball", was to share
the stage with Modi in Florida for which he was
supposed to have received a fee of $50,000. These
huge amounts are illustrative of the financial
clout being disposed of by the NRI sympathizers
of Hindutva.

News of Modi's visit galvanized a response by a
number of different forces in the U.S. and U.K.
opposed to the communal and violent politics
practiced by Modi and his ilk. About 40 different
organizations, ranging from organizations of
secular Indians, various organizations belonging
to Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, and Hindus of
Indian origin, and progressive individuals
resident in North America, came together in an
umbrella Coalition Against Genocide (CAG) that
launched a whole series of actions aimed at
denying legitimacy to the Modi visit. These
actions ranged from requests to AAHOA to rescind
their invitation to Modi, demands to the U.S.
State Department that Modi be denied a visa on
the grounds of his having committed acts of
religious persecution that amounted to crimes
against Humanity, pressure on the corporate
business sponsors to cancel their sponsorship of
the Florida event, request to Matthews not to
share a stage with a criminal like Modi and
forego his lucrative fee, and press releases to
the U.S. media about Modi's record. This pressure
began to show some results: Matthews declined to
participate in the AAHOA convention and the
corporate sponsors did likewise by canceling
their participation. Two members of the U.S.
Congress introduced a resolution on the floor of
the U.S. House of Representatives that denounced
Modi in no uncertain terms. South Asian academics
in various U.S. universities wrote a letter to
the U.S. government protesting the planned visit
and the Institute for Religion and Public Policy
also wrote to the State Department to deny Modi
entry into the U.S. The U.S. Commission on
International Religious Freedom, a body chartered
by the U.S. Congress, expressed a significant
concern about the visit through a statement by
its Chairperson, Preeta Bansal , who is herself
of Indian origin.

The final blow to the visit was delivered by the
U.S. government when Modi was not only denied a
diplomatic visa but his business/visitor visa
that was still valid for a few more years was
canceled. It is interesting that the U.S. State
Department, while quoting the relevant portion of
the regulation under which Modi was denied entry,
justified its action by referring to reports of
official Indian bodies like the National Human
Rights Commission and the rulings of India's
Supreme Court that had severely criticized the
Modi regime for its acts of omission and
commission in the 2002 Gujarat pogrom. This
response effectively defused the Indian
government's somewhat hypocritical and pro forma
protest of the Modi visa denial, an issue on
which the BJP has been trying hard to arouse
"patriotic" indignation and fervor within India.

Although the Modi visit was canceled, his
followers went ahead with the programs in New
York and Florida bringing his speech in by a
video-link. A spirited protest of about 250-300
CAG members that went on for almost four hours
was held outside the Madison Square Garden venue
in New York despite a freezing rain. A similar
protest also took place in Florida. It was good
news that Modi was denied a visa for the US. His
criminality has been proven many times and in
many different ways. But we have to recognize
that it is unlikely that CAG's opposition to Modi
and Hindutva played any significant role in the
U.S. government's decision. Other factors like
the Congressional resolution and, more important,
the pressure from U.S. Christian groups that are
upset with Hindutva's actions against Christians
in India probably had more  impact.

There is no doubt Modi deserves to be prosecuted
in India as is fit for any country which abides
by minimum standards of the rule of law and
humanity. But while bringing Modi to justice is a
necessary step, it is hardly sufficient to solve
the problem of mass support for fundamentalist
politics in India. Prosecuting criminals, hanging
them, electrocuting them, chopping off their
heads or denying them freedom to travel to the
Western world has not stopped crime and the
prosecution of Narendra Modi will not, by itself,
bring dignity to India's minorities. The venom
spread by the Sangh Parivar is deep-rooted and
has created an anti-Muslim, anti-Christian
culture, which has seeped into the minds of
millions of Hindus. Is there any other
explanation why nearly 4,000 gathered inside
Madison Square Garden to listen to the
satellite-transmitted speech of Narendra Modi
while less than a tenth of that number protested
outside? Maybe if Modi had appeared in person,
the crowds, both inside and outside, would have
been much larger. But the disparity would
probably still remain and it brings up the issue
again of mobilizing people against fundamentalist
politics.

Is there something we are not doing here and
something that people like us are not doing back
home? One feature of our efforts seems to be that
attempts at mass mobilization and painstaking
work at building organs  within the community
have been replaced by electronic communication -
transmission of some useful, some peripheral
information, depending upon the whim of the
sender. There is a place for electronic media in
communication but, given the nature of the Indian
community, it cannot replace the painstaking
effort of mass mobilization, work in the
community and talking to people in the language
they are familiar with (that might be different
from the one we know). It is difficult to find
material against Modi on websites such as Foil,
that can be printed and given to
computer-deprived, barely-English-knowing South
Asians.

CAG is an advance on what existed (or did not
exist) before, an embryonic front of
organizations and persons of different
backgrounds uniting to oppose fundamentalism. It
is a necessary first step but it cannot stop
there and must move into the wider community if
it is to prove an effective counterweight to the
centrally organized fundamentalists in the US and
UK. Ad-hoc coalitions that mainly lobby and
protest are, by their very nature, only a
starting point for political action; they need to
be transformed into something more permanent and
more organized. If lobbying and protest could
suffice, there would have been no Iraq and
Afghanistan war. Millions marched in hundreds of
cities across the world against the Bush-Blair
agenda. Nearly 5% of the Montreal population was
on the street for more than two hours at -23
Celsius to oppose the impending war.  Even some
influential governments expressed their
reservation. Yet Afghanistan and Iraq were
attacked and thousands massacred.

Why did lobbying succeed in denying a visa to
Modi? While the answer is speculative, it is
probable that Bush used one provision out of many
in the U.S. government's arsenal to rectify to
some degree his administration's anti-Muslim
policies and relatively dismal credentials on
human rights issues. Our jubilation, however, may
turn out to be a bit premature and a bit
unfounded if we fail to carry out painstaking
mass work rather than depend upon liberal
American institutions to take care of our
problems.

The Indian Express
March 31, 2005

STAND UP TO THE GLOBAL GAZE
FOR THAT, INDIA ONLY NEEDS TO BE FAITHFUL TO ITS OWN CONSTITUTION
Pamela Philipose

The response of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi to the US decision not to grant him a visa
is a study in cynicism. He argued that it is the
duty of the Government of India to protect all
the legitimate and democratic rights of its
citizens and that the US decision went against
all principles of "democracy", "human rights" and
"natural justice". The UPA government did of
course oblige him - more fulsomely than the call
of duty warranted - but let that not distract us
from expressing wonder at the words that tripped
from Modi's tongue. He cited "democracy", "human
rights" and "natural justice" as values that
needed defending.

Can the man responsible for the Gujarat carnage
of 2002 actually speak of "democracy", "human
rights" and "natural justice"? When he urged the
Indian government to protect the "rights" of its
citizens, which included his own of course, he
did not obviously perceive the irony of such a
demand coming from a man who had once presided
over a machinery that had spectacularly failed to
protect the basic rights of Gujarat's citizens.
He also attempted to pass off the murders/rapes
of that horrendous interregnum as ordinary urban
crimes. "New York alone witnesses more than 1,500
rapes a year" so why is the US criticising him,
he wanted to know. That's Modi for you, a master
purveyor of slanted reconstructions.

But this familiar fact should not detain us here.
The denial of the US visa to Modi is a
significant development deserving closer
examination. The first question that presents
itself is why did the US government single Modi
out for such treatment? After all, there have
been numerous massacres and riots in India
involving politicians. The massacre of Sikhs in
'84 is a case in point. One hasn't heard of an
H.K.L. Bhagat or a Sajjan Kumar being denied an
US visa on grounds of "infringement of religious
freedom", or the leaders of the BJP/ VHP/ Bajrang
Dal/ Shiv Sena being denied entry for fomenting
the pre- and post-Babri Masjid demolition riots.
As for those faceless Islamic merchants of terror
who had triggered the murderous frenzy resulting
in the migration of Kashmiri Pandits from the
Valley, they don't even figure on the radar. So
why Modi?

The answer to this question can tell us a great
deal about the myriad ways in which the world has
changed in the 21st century. Let us confine
ourselves to three significant developments here.
The first is the emergence of the US as the
world's only superpower and the unilateralism it
has increasingly demonstrated in the wake of the
September 11 attacks. This has had profoundly
unsettling consequences for the rest of the world
as, for instance, the pulverising of Iraq on the
specious grounds that Saddam Hussein's government
harboured weapons of mass destruction. Its
advocacy of international "democracy" and
"democratic freedoms", we know, is highly
suspect. Not only are these values deployed
selectively, they are invariably employed to
serve America's pursuit of global domination.

Coterminous with this has been the quickening
pace of globalisation, which has meant not just
the merger of financial and commodity markets, or
the growing heterogeneity of national
populations, but a connectivity between people on
a scale that had hitherto never been imagined.
This has resulted in a significant softening of
national borders and could, in the future,
undermine the capacity of governments to steer
the social, intellectual and economic lives of
their people.

Today, given the compression of space and time
globalisation has wrought, NRI communities in the
US and UK can respond to events in mother country
in real time. Here, too, we have the ideological
divisions that characterise the discourse at
home. If the Association of Indian Americans of
North America can deem it fit to invite a man
like Modi to grace their public platforms, there
can just as well be campaign clusters like the
Coalition Against Genocide lobbying furiously to
get the visit aborted. If some NRIs in the UK
find Modi the perfect "special guest" at the
Gujarat Day Concern at the Royal Albert Hall,
there can just as well be the London-based
Monitoring Group and Awaaz spearheading a 'Stop
Modi' campaign and initiating moves to arrest him
for the killings of two British nationals, Saeed
and Sakil Daud, during the Gujarat carnage.

Finally, the new millennium has seen a greater
articulation and application of humanitarian
international law than in previous decades. It
has witnessed the spectacle of Slobodan
Milosevic, the man who bore the epithet 'Butcher
of the Balkans', stand trial in an international
tribunal that was telecast world wide. He was the
first in a long list of public figures who have
had to confront the uncomfortable truth that the
impunity afforded by the state is an uncertain
and finite thing. Augusto Pinochet, Ariel Sharon,
Jiang Zemin, Jean Kambanda, Robert Mugabe, Henry
Kissinger, Donald Rumsfeld, are just names.

India does not recognise the jurisdiction of the
International Criminal Court, nor has it ratified
the Convention against Torture, but it has
nevertheless had to face the embarrassment of
global scrutiny. When the EU issued a demarche
after Gujarat, the MEA rejected it as
"interference in our internal affairs", even as
it objected to every expression of "concern" by
visiting dignitaries from countries like Canada,
Denmark and Finland. Jaswant Singh, as foreign
minister,famously observed that "India will not
be spoken to from any position of assumed
superiority or morality".

We, who pride ourselves in our Constitution and
institutions of justice, quite rightly find such
scrutiny of our domestic affairs an anathema.
There are also, decidedly, disturbing aspects
about western powers emerging as guardians of
universal rights within an universal order. But
this only underlines the imperative of addressing
the weaknesses of our own governance, our
failures to ensure justice and to abide by our
Constitution. The issue goes beyond Modi's
foreign excursions. India's swabhiman needs to
rest on far surer foundations than visas for its
travelling politicians. The country's self-esteem
ultimately rests on its ability to abide by the
highest standards of "democracy", "human rights"
and "natural justice".

The Economic and Political Weekly
March 26, 2005
Commentary

PEACE AND IRRESPONSIBILITY

Recent actions by the Naxalite movement in Andhra
Pradesh raise questions about the ethics and lack
of accountability on the part of these groups. It
is not merely in the bearing and use of arms that
the Naxalite movement mirrors the state.
Unfortunately there is a stark resemblance even
in the indiscriminate and extremely moralistic
identification of the enemy who must then be
eliminated. The power of naming in this entire
scenario vests with the police on the one side
and the Naxalites on the other. Actions such as
the recent killings by the Naxalites destroy
public confidence and increase the faith of
people in repressive measures and fascist
solutions. The fear of terrorism is not easy to
contain and when radical politics begins to use
the weapon of terror that, in our view, signals
the end of politics.

by Kalpana Kannabiran, Volga, Vasanth Kannabiran

The possibility of peace in Andhra Pradesh has
rolled back completely in the state. The peace
processes and dialogue that were a source of
immense hope in the past eight months among all
sections of the people have ground to a halt.
From a growing concern about the lack of
transparency and the practices of impunity on the
part of the state, there is now a serious concern
about the ethics and lack of accountability on
the part of the Naxalite groups. We had, in an
earlier essay, raised these concerns when we
argued that carrying of arms gives the licence to
kill and cause grave injury - whether to state or
political groups, and vests arbitrary powers in
the individuals or groups that bear them. Little
did we realise when we made that observation,
that our words would prove so troublingly
prophetic. To mince words at this juncture would
be unethical. The actions by the Naxalite groups
in Vempenta1 and Chilakaluripeta2 villages in the
state grossly violate every principle of
revolutionary politics. However, we would like to
examine the reasons why these violations have far
more serious implications than appear at first
sight.

With the Vempenta incident, what stands out is
the sheer mindless brutality of the attack. To
justify the attack on the grounds that it was
retaliation for a massacre of dalits six years
ago is ridiculous to put it mildly. But even so,
old questions resurface again and again. Can you
use the master's tools to dismantle the master's
house? There is a deeply moral question that must
be addressed. If the same degree of brutality -
not just towards the representatives of the state
but towards the civilian population is going to
characterise radical politics, it is better to
deal with a repressive state that can be brought
to account through democratic processes at least
theoretically than deal with a politics where
there is no theoretical possibility to enforce
accountability. But on a more immediate level,
what was the consequence of the Vempenta
incident? The dalits in the village had to flee
in fear of retaliation.

Disproportionate Costs

If one were to argue that there are costs that
must be paid in the struggle for the betterment
of the human condition, the costs that dalits and
adivasis bear is disproportionate to any
improvement in their condition. In the agency
(tribal) areas of Andhra Pradesh, it is adivasis
who bear the cost of state violence and
repression, irrespective of whether or not they
believe in the goals of the Naxalite movement.
Now, apart from forcing dalits into homelessness
by callous action that passes as politics, there
is a steady number of dalit and tribal people
(identified with the 'ruling classes') who are
being killed by Naxalites. The response of a
leadership that sees them only from the
standpoint of their class location and does not
consider them as dalit/adivasis is demonstrative
of the unreason that accompanies arbitrariness in
politics.

What are the indices of betterment in the human
condition? At the level of popular understanding
getting a formal education, securing steady
employment (and government employment is the most
secure in terms of ensuring family survival, as
many dalits and adivasis in government employment
will tell us), and working towards building up
resources and capacity in subsequent generations
is a hard struggle that a small proportion of
people in these groups have managed to achieve
against all odds. To suddenly declare that these
people are class enemies and will not be spared
in the war against the state - not just that they
might be killed accidentally in confrontations,
but that they will also be specially targeted and
killed, that their families will not be spared,
either brings us to the point of zero hope.

When we wrote our earlier piece on women's rights
and Naxalite groups in November 2004, we did
raise several questions with respect to the ways
in which gender was articulated in radical left
politics. Of the several things we said there,
one of our concerns was on the glorification of
motherhood. Our point is driven home painfully in
this violence and counter violence that we are
now mute witness to. The short film on mothers of
Naxalites killed in encounters, released around
the time of the peace talks last year, 'Smarana',
opens with noted poet Varavara Rao reciting a
poem on mothers of the revolution in which he says

Not having understood her birthing pains, today
how can we grasp that mother's rage?

In an informal account of a constable's
conversation with a mother of a Naxalite that was
reported to us, the constable apparently chided
the mother for the kind of son she had borne, to
which the mother retorted that she only gave
birth. What did she know when he was born what he
would become?3  Not all the mothers in the film
'Smarana' understood or agreed with the paths
their children had chosen, nor were they all
alike in social location. The only uniting factor
was that their children had died similar deaths -
a fact some were proud of but others merely
resigned to.

Poverty of Revolutionary Paradigms

To construct the mother of the revolutionary in
the image of the mother goddess speaks to the
poverty of existing revolutionary paradigms with
respect to women, but especially to mothers. Our
observation here is borne out by what happened in
the recent incident at Chilakaluripeta. The
60-year old woman who was killed had in fact
locked her son (a sub-inspector) and some others
into a room and was blocking the entrance, when
she was shot. The son managed to escape. When
questioned about the ethics of this kind of
indiscriminate massacre of innocent people, a
spokesperson justified the act by saying that she
deserved to be killed for giving birth to a
'rakshasa'. The birthing pains, the glorious
mother who sacrifices her life, the simple humane
woman who did all she could to shield those dear
to her are subsumed within the revolutionary
quest for a Ramarajyam where the only true/good
mothers are those that reproduce the creed. Will
Varavara Rao now repeat

I have not seen that mother But her pointing finger accuses me?

Witness what is happening on the other side. The
police establishment is now talking of setting up
an exclusively tribal force to be positioned in
agency areas to deal with the 'Naxalite menace'.
Who is thinking about the human rights of dalits
and adivasis in all this? Where earlier they paid
indirect costs by living in areas where these
confrontations were most bitter, now, ironically
after the peace process, they are beginning to
pay direct costs - being sought out and killed on
the one side; being used as cannon fodder on the
other.

It is not merely in the bearing and use of arms
that the Naxalite movement mirrors the state.
Unfortunately there is a stark resemblance even
in the indiscriminate and extremely moralistic
identification of the enemy who must then be
eliminated. The power of naming in this entire
scenario vests with the police on the one side
and the Naxalites on the other. Concerned
citizens and institutions of justice are rendered
voiceless. The defence and public recognition of
human rights of political activists has been a
slow and gradual struggle. Actions such as this
destroy public confidence and increase the faith
of people in repressive measures and fascist
solutions. The fear of terrorism is not easy to
contain and when radical politics begins to use
the weapon of terror that in our view signals the
end of politics.

This brings us to our final point. The movement
for human rights in this state started with the
defence of the civil and political rights of
Naxalites. As people with an active interest in
entrenching human rights standards in the
societies in which we live, we defend the right
to practice politics and condemn every action by
the state that seeks to abridge that political
space. However, in the last 25 years, we have
experienced the limitations of viewing human
rights as restricted to civil and political
rights alone. There are larger violations that
are routinely practised by civilian populations
in dominant positions against entire classes that
are vulnerable. Any defence of human rights must
defend not just the civil and political rights of
extremely literate, articulate, educated, but
politically vulnerable groups; it must more
importantly, defend the fundamental rights to
life, livelihood and survival, the right against
assault and violence, of the largely
non-literate, impoverished, politically, socially
and economically vulnerable groups. It becomes a
matter of grave concern when the groups whose
right to practice politics has been defended at
enormous cost begin to act irresponsibly towards
those who have not yet enjoyed basic freedoms,
destroying their very right to survival.

We urge a public debate on these issues.

Notes

1 On February 28, 2005, Maoists axed eight people
to death in Vempenta village, Pamulapadu mandal,
Kurnool district. This was justified by them as
being a retaliation to the similar massacre of
dalits in the same village on June 16, 1998.
2 On March 10, 2005, Maoists killed seven people
in Chilakaluripeta in an attack on the police
station and police quarters. One of these killed
was a dalit circle inspector. A 60-year old woman
who blocked their entry into the house was also
killed.
3 K G Kannabiran, personal communication.

[ANNOUNCEMENT]

Recently released in Delhi by
Bibliophile South Asia
and
Committee for Inquiry on December 13 *

December 13 : Terror over Democracy
by
Nirmalangshu Mukherjee

We cannot underestimate ... the cynicism of
centers of power in pursuit of their own often
despicable ends. It is within this context that
we should ...consider the detailed investigation
carried out in this important and careful study.
Noam Chomsky

About the Book

The terrorist attack on Indian Parliament on 13
December 2001 posed a test-case for Indian
democracy. This book tells the story of how civil
institutions in India - the media, the police,
the political executive and the judiciary- failed
the test. as a result, the question 'who attacked
Parliament' remained unanswered, and the human
rights of the accused were seriously violated.

The following issues, among others, are examined in detail:
complicity between the media and the police
actions of the NDA government in promoting fear and prejudice
large-scale fabrication and concoction by the investigating agency
biased trial and judgement in the POTA court and
'balancing act' of the High Court

The discussion is supported with extensive
documentation from newspaper reports, judicial
statements, public statements, and some important
but little-known literature on the subject
published earlier. Most of these are included in
the Annexures.

The book ends with a strong appeal for a comprehensive parliamentary inquiry.

About the Author

NIRMALANGSHU MUKHERJEE teaches philosophy at
Delhi University. He has lectured extensively on
the philosophies of language and mind, and has
been a visiting professor in several institutions
in India and abroad. Apart from numerous
articles, he is the author  of The Cartesian Mind
: Reflections on Language and Music, and a
co-editor of Noam Chomsky's The Architecture of
Language. His forthcoming books include The
Primacy of Grammar, and compilation and editing
of Language and Naturalistic Inquiry by Noam
Chomsky. He has published many political articles
in the Economic and Political Weekly,  Indian
Social Science Review, ZNet South Asia and
elsewhere; this his first political book.

[Contents]

Foreword Essay : Manipulation of Fear by Noam Chomsky
An Attack on Democracy
Terrorism and Preventive Measures
Windows of Opportunity
Role of Media
Court Documents
Who Attacked Parliament?
Prosecution Story
Story Disputed
Incredible Features
Acquittal of Geelani
Arrest Memos
'Procured'  Witnesses
A Surrendered Militant
Unfair Trial
An Appeal for Parliamentary Inquiry
Annexures

--
(* Committee for Inquiry on December 13

Mahasweta Devi			Nirmala Deshpande
Rajni Kothari			Prabhat Patnaik
Ashish Nandy			Mihir Desai
Prashant Bhusan			Indira Munshi
Rita Panicker			Gautam Naulakha
Sumanta Banerjee			Hiranmoy Dhar
Vasanthi Raman			Ashim Roy
Ali Javed				Tripta Wahi
Nandita Narayan			Neeraj Mallik
Vijay Singh			Nirmalangshu Mukherjee)

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/