SACW | 22 Oct 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Thu Oct 21 19:45:59 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  22 October,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[Interruption Notice: Please Note, SACW dispatches will remain
interrupted between the period October 23 - October 29/30, 2004]

[1] Pakistan:  Two editorial from Daily Times
  - Can the King's League be the Quaid's League?
  - Our reactive extremism and Islamabad's defensive 'enlightened moderation'
[2] Bangladesh:  Deafening silence (Zafar Sobhan)
[3] India : Dec 13, 2001 Case - A wife's appeal for justice (Tabassum)
[4] India: Beyond the Census: Sensible Uses of Social Statistics
(Satish Deshpande)
[5] India: Hindutva at Work !
a) VHP holds 'trishul diksha' in Rajasthan
b) Bajrangis bag a `degree'
c) Another film in trouble with up Sainiks
d) New chief Advani's not-so new plan: bond with Sangh, raise Italy
e) Dissolution of riot enquiry sparks row in Rajasthan
[6] Upcoming event : 'The Final Solution' Film and discussion with
Director Rakesh Sharma (Wellesley  College, Massachusetts October 30,
2004)

--------------

[1]

The Daily Star - October 22, 2004 | Editorial

CAN THE KING'S LEAGUE BE THE QUAID'S LEAGUE?

Mr Minoo Bhandara, a minority National Assembly member from the
King's League has done a laudable deed. Last Tuesday, he stood up and
asked the house to adopt a resolution to include the Quaid-e-Azam's
famous speech of August 11, 1947, in the academic curricula of the
country. At the time Mr Bhandara spoke on the issue, the opposition,
including the six-party religious alliance, the Mutahidda
Majlis-e-Amal, was absent from the house, having earlier boycotted
the session. While Mr Bhandara's passionate speech did not evoke much
emotion in the house, mercifully the League members decided to go
along with him and the resolution was carried. The resolution is not
binding on the government but to the extent that a parliamentary
reference has been made to the Quaid's speech for once is in itself
very refreshing. As Mr Bhandara noted, the state, over the past
thirty years, has even sought to censor the Quaid's speech.
But even as we hail this development, it brings back painful memories
of the time the League, then under prime minister Liaquat Ali Khan,
chose to pass an Objectives Resolution that opened up the
constitution to the mischief later carried out by General Zia ul Haq.
Even today, we have as our minister for religious affairs General
Zia's son who has chosen repeatedly to create confusion and cast
doubts on the intentions of the government to carry out the necessary
reforms.
The irony is that in making the August 11 speech and setting down the
principle of confining religion to the personal sphere, the Quaid was
in fact putting forth the 'objectives' of the new state of Pakistan.
Even at the time of debating the Objectives Resolution, it was the
minority members of the assembly who objected to the conception of
the new state on the basis of religion. Reading their speeches today
one can see how prescient they were. Again, it has taken a non-Muslim
Pakistani to point to the absolute necessity of redirecting this
state. The King's League lays claim to being the true Quaid League.
We would expect it to prove to this country that it can carry forward
that enlightened legacy.
Alas. There is more disappointment in store for us. Mr Bhandara has
formally complained of a breach of his privilege and that of the
house because PTV blacked out news of the resolution in its major
news bulletins of the day. The Khabarnama of October 19, he claims,
did not telecast this enormous decision of the Assembly, nor deemed
it fit to make any mention at all. He has therefore moved the
secretary of the National Assembly to take up his privilege motion on
October 22 or 23.
General Pervez Musharraf spares no moment to talk about an
"enlightened, moderate" Pakistan. There can be no better document for
him to get legitimacy from for this sensible and belated enterprise
than the Quaid's speech. We also have an enlightened prime minister
in the saddle now. It would be only appropriate for this government
to immediately act on the resolution and insert the speech in school
syllabi. Our students, raised on heavy doses of distorted history,
need to know the truth.
Yet, we are sceptical because we are not sure whether the actions of
this government will ever be able to match its rhetoric. Certainly,
if PTV's atrocious outlook on the issue is a pointer, we are far from
getting there. It would be interesting to know who took the decision
to censor the news and why such a person is still entrusted to watch
over the interests of enlightened moderation. *

o o o o

Daily Times  - October 20, 2004  |  Editorial

Our reactive extremism and Islamabad's defensive 'enlightened moderation'

According to news reports, a Christian family was forced in August
this year to leave its house in Wah Cantt in Punjab for fear of
violence after an 11-year-old girl of the family accidentally threw a
copy of the Holy Quran in the trash-can. The family of Tasneem Dean,
a boiler engineer, left the Asifabad locality of Wah Cantt after an
'agreement' between the local Saint Thomas Catholic Church and the
khateeb of Central Lala Rukh Mosque, Maulana Muhammad Ishaq. This was
done in collaboration with local administration and police officials
for the safety of the family because the local people had threatened
to burn down their house.

The sticking point in this incident was that the law-enforcement
authority, the local Muslim clergy and the Church were all agreed
that no deliberate offence had been caused by the child. No case for
desecration of the Holy Quran was registered against the family of Mr
Dean and, if the police had had their way, an apology would have been
sufficient. But the local population of mostly unlettered people was
aroused by a woman who had gone to the waste disposal and started
shouting. It developed that Mr Dean, the Christian, had an interest
in inter-religious studies and had inherited the Holy Quran from his
Christian father. Once the local mosque authority and the church
recognised that, they were satisfied that there was no case under the
Penal Code. Why did Mr Dean then move out of Wah?

We should go into this matter because Mr Dean could be hounded also
in the next town to which he has moved. When asked why he had agreed
to leave his home in Wah Cantt, he pointed to the Pushtun and Afghan
migrants living in the locality who had been alerted by mischief
mongers to the job of hounding him. The original population did not
react after they were informed of the details of the case, but the
newly arrived groups of Pathans and Afghans came around and
threatened to burn down his house and possibly kill his family. The
enraged groups convinced the local administration, the local khateeb
and the local Catholic church that Mr Dean and his family had to
leave. To give authenticity to the 'agreement' reached with the
fleeing Christian family, the local Punjab MPA also affixed his
signature to it.

If the administration in Wah thinks it has resolved a grave issue to
the satisfaction of all parties, it is gravely mistaken. Once again
the authorities have succumbed to the pressure of the unenlightened
and the immoderate, once again the law has been flouted and once
again innocent citizens have been made to suffer on account of their
faith. The obligation to protect citizens against religious extremism
has been dodged once again and the slogan of 'enlightened moderation'
adopted by General Pervez Musharraf and the PML government has once
again been betrayed. If this single case is considered insufficient
evidence to prove the uselessness of General Musharraf's slogan, let
us take a look at the life sentence handed down on Tuesday by an
additional sessions judge in Lahore to another person charged with
'desecrating' the Holy Quran. The evidence was allegedly flimsy but
the lower court judge was so overpowered by the extremism of the
local opinion that he sent the man in for the maximum punishment.

There was much reactive extremism in Pakistan's past when our
governments were not telling the world that they were determined to
inculcate 'enlightened moderation' among the people. In 1997, the
twin villages of Shantinagar-Tibba Colony, 12 kilometres east of
Khanewal, Multan Division, were looted and burnt by 20,000 Muslim
citizens and 500 policemen. The police first evacuated the Christian
population of 15,000, then helped the raiders use battle-field
explosives to blow up their houses and property. When no one from the
president of Pakistan to the Inspector General of Punjab Police
reacted to the biggest act of destruction in 50 years, the Christian
youth took out processions in Rawalpindi and Karachi and were fired
upon by the police in the latter city. The youth in Lahore was asked
by their elders to refrain from protesting.

Shantinagar was destroyed by the Sipah-e-Sahaba and the organs of the
Pakistani State in tandem because there was hardly any difference in
outlook between the two allies. But today, President Musharraf's
government pretends to stand apart from the fanatics and the
extremists. Yet every other day, people go on a rampage after
'discovering' a leaf or two of the Holy Quran on the road. They stop
the traffic, burn tyres and destroy public property to express their
'grief' because that has been allowed to become a ritual. State
functionaries and politicians are keen to identify themselves with
the vandals rather than hold them accountable under law. What is the
difference between past governments and the 'enlightened' and
'moderate' government of General Pervez Musharraf today? Shouldn't
Islamabad worry about its rhetoric and do something to spread the
message against extremism more effectively?

One very effective way of reaching out to the people, instead of
exposing them to slogans they don't understand, is to discuss the
subject frankly. If you simply say pur-etedaal roshan khayali, the
extremist will shoot back the remark that Islam is already that, so
'say something new'. Obviously the thing to do on the state-owned
media at least is to go into the details of the religious extremism
that has brought Pakistan dangerously close to what the Afghanistan
of Taliban was before the world thought it necessary to destroy the
government of Mullah Umar. It is time to discuss the flaws of the
blasphemy law and the law pertaining to the desecration of the Holy
Quran without caring to 'balance the debate' between the extremists
and the 'apologists' for moderation. In the realm of human rights,
you don't do what the people want, you educate the people to respect
the law and, if necessary, you use the organs of the state to do that
effectively and unapologetically. Is anyone in Islamabad listening? *

The Daily Star - October 22, 2004 | Editorial

Straight talk
DEAFENING SILENCE
Zafar Sobhan

The recent attack by ruling party activists on a public meeting held
jointly by the Jatiya Oikya Mancha and Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh at
Rangpur Town Hall heralds a new low for the government.

Where have we come to as a country when an ex-president and an
ex-foreign minister, both of whom have devoted decades of their life
to the country, can be pelted with refuse by hooligans allied to the
government, and have to be protected from physical harm by their own
supporters?

The recent initiative jointly announced by the two doctors to tour
the country and solicit the opinion of the general public with a view
to preparing a "people's manifesto" is one of the more positive
developments in Bangladeshi politics of late.

The initiative was a welcome change from politics as usual on a
number of levels. In the first place, the concept of actually
soliciting the views of the public and listening to their concerns is
a novel idea that the ruling alliance, and indeed, the main
opposition, would do well to consider.

Politics in Bangladesh has long been a top-down process, dominated by
the leadership of the main political parties, with the less
influential members of the parties, to say nothing of the actual
electorate, rarely consulted as to their opinions or aspirations.

The importance of the initiative to make politics a more
participatory and inclusive process and to listen to the voices of
the long-suffering people of the country cannot be stressed enough.

In addition, the fact that the two doctors are erstwhile political
rivals, and have entered into no electoral alliance, but are willing
and able to join together for a programme that both believe in, is
also a welcome change from the partisan division that mars the
politics in this country.

This willingness to reach across the aisle to create alliances and
unity where possible is the kind of forward thinking that the country
needs at this time of extreme polarisation, and stands in stark
contrast to the bitter enmity and no-holds-barred rhetoric of the
main political parties.

The listening tour kicked off in Dinajpur and proved to be an
immediate success. People responded enthusiastically to the novel
spectacle of two such eminent political personalities actually asking
them what they thought and what their ideas were, and the feedback
from the first meeting showed that not only are ordinary people fully
cognisant of the troubles that the nation faces, but that they also
have an eloquent grasp of possible solutions.

The second such meeting was scheduled to take place at Rangpur Town
Hall, and this is where trouble erupted.

That the attack on the meeting was pre-meditated and accomplished
with the collusion of the local authorities can be inferred from the
fact that the police deployed in and outside the hall didn't raise a
finger to thwart the assault or to help protect the safety of those
being attacked. It was left to the supporters of the leaders on-stage
to usher them to safety.

Coincidentally, perhaps, the local superintendent of police claimed
to be sick and the deputy commissioner was also unavailable on the
day, so that blame for the failure of security could be deflected.

Nearly as bad as the actual violence, which left thirty people
injured, some severely, was the pelting of the dais with shoes,
sandals, and rotten eggs. This kind of disgraceful conduct goes
beyond any bounds of decency and shames us all.

However, even worse is the fact that the assailants also
indiscriminately beat up the audience members who were there merely
to express their opinions and to attempt to participate in the
political process. The message from Tuesday's attack was that the
general public should open their mouth and speak about their
dissatisfactions and frustrations, only at their own risk.

It is one thing (not to say that it is acceptable) to target your
political opponents. It is quite another thing when the government
unleashes its fury on ordinary citizens -- like it did with the two
rounds of mass arrests this year that put thousands behind bars --
and it seems to have made the same mistake in Rangpur.

It seems as though the government no longer cares about its standing
with the public. This is a worrisome development from a government
that has hitherto drawn its power from its popular mandate.

The government's increasing contempt for the public manifests itself
in other troubling ways. The main evidence for this contempt is the
abandon with which the government apparently feels free to deny
things that everyone knows to be true.

When the government states that the attack in Rangpur was not carried
out by its cadres -- although the identity of the attackers has been
comprehensively established by credible witness accounts -- it is
tantamount to insulting the intelligence of the public.

This is the government's stock in trade. The unacceptable -- be it
mass arrests or attacks on political opponents -- followed by
bare-faced denial. The government has been so mendacious in its
public pronouncements during the last three years that it simply does
not have any credibility left.

The worst thing is that the government no longer seems to even care.
It no longer seems to see fit to even pretend to have faith in
democracy and in the opinion of the public.

What conclusion are we to draw from this?

But despite its discouraging record thus far, I will continue to
expect and demand the highest standards from the government that
Bangladeshis democratically elected in 2001. I will continue to
expect that it uphold law and order and the ideals of democracy.

I will continue to expect that the government not act in an unlawful
manner and that it respect the rule of law. I will continue to expect
that the government acknowledge its missteps and take responsibility
for its actions.

Even though it seems that the government is either unwilling or
unable to provide us with even a modicum of good governance, that
even the smallest sign of democratic dissent will not be tolerated,
and that government spokesmen will come out and say that black is
white and night is day without the slightest semblance of shame or
thought that they might be held accountable for their falsehoods -- I
will continue to expect and demand better.

But I also expect more from my fellow countrymen and women.

How is it that we are not more shocked by this latest evidence of
lawlessness on the part of ruling alliance cadres? How is it that we
do not cringe inside when we hear senior members of the government
deny responsibility for actions that we -- and they -- know full well
were committed by their cadres? How is it that we can sit silent and
turn a blind eye when the government that we democratically elected
goes about dismantling democracy?

Surely most people who support the government do so because they
thought that it would provide good governance and would protect
democratic institutions.

Surely most people who support the government do so because of their
belief in the four-party alliance's ability to manage the economy and
not because of their approval for stomach-churning attacks on its
opponents.

Surely most people who support the government feel that these kinds
of heavy-handed and repressive measures only diminish the
government's credibility and do disservice to those many government
officials who are working conscientiously and selflessly for the
betterment of the nation.

So where then is the outcry when the government oversteps the bounds
of decency and acts in a manner that demeans its own ideals and
shames us as a nation?

Is this where we have come to -- that we are no longer even shocked
or shamed by the kind of incivility that was on display in Rangpur?

Has it come to this? At long last have we -- as a nation -- no sense
of decency left?

Zafar Sobhan is an Assistant Editor of The Daily Star.

Kashmir Times - 21 October 2004

A WIFE'S APPEAL FOR JUSTICE

I am the wife of Mohammad Afzal, the man accused of conspiring to
attack the Indian Parliament on December 13, 2001. Afzal has been
condemned to death by the Sessions Court Judge, S N Dhingra and his
death sentence has been confirmed by the Hon'ble High Court of Delhi.
Now the case has come up before the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India.

All over India people have condemned the attack on Parliament. And I
agree that it was a terrorist attack and must be condemned. However,
it is also important that the people accused of such a serious crime
be given a fair trial and their story be fully heard before they are
punished. I believe that no one has heard my husband's story and he
has so far never been represented in the court properly.

I appeal to you to hear our story and then decide for yourselves
whether justice has teen done. Afzal and my story is the story of
many young Kashmiri couples. Our story represents the tragedy facing
our people.

In 1990 Afzal was attracted to the movement led by the JKLF, like
thousands of other youth. He went to Pakistan for training and stayed
there for a little while. However, he was disillusioned by the
differences between different groups and he did not support
pro-Pakistani groups. He stayed there only three months without
getting any training. Afzal returned to Kashmir and he went to Delhi
to pursue his studies. He always wanted to study and before he joined
the movement he was doing his MBBS.

My husband wanted to return to normal life and with that intention he
surrendered to the BSF. The BSF Commandant refused to give him his
certificate till he had motivated two others to surrender. And Afzal
motivated two other militants to surrender. He was given a
certificate stating that he was a surrendered militant. You will not
perhaps realise that it is very difficult to live as a surrendered
militant in Kashmir but he decided to live with his family in
Kashmir. In 1997 he started a small business of medicines and
surgical instruments in Kashmir. The next year we were married. He
was 28 years old and I was 18 years.

Throughout the period that we lived in Kashmir the Indian security
forces continuously harassed Afzal and told him to spy on people they
suspected of being militants. One Major Ram Mohan Roy of 22 Rashtriya
Rifles tortured Afzal and gave him electric shocks in his private
parts. He was humiliated and abused.

The Indian security forces used to regularly take Afzal to their
camps and torture him. They wanted to extract information from him.
One night the Indian security forces came to our home and abused all
of us and took away Afzal to their camp; another time he was taken to
the STF (State Task Force) camp Palhalan Pattan.

Some days later they took him to the Humhama STF camp. In that camp
the officers, DSP Vinay Gupta and DSP Darinder Singh demanded Rs one
lakh. We are not a rich family and we had to sell everything,
including the little gold I got on my marriage to save Afzal from the
torture.

Afzal was kept in freezing water and petrol was put into his anus.
One officer Shanti Singh hanged my husband upside down for hours
naked and in the cold. They gave electric shocks in his penis and he
had to have treatment for days.

You will think that Afzal must be involved in some militant
activities that is why the security forces were torturing him to
extract information. But you must understand the situation in
Kashmir, every man, woman and child has some information on the
movement even if they are not involved. By making people into
informers they turn brother against brother, wife against husband and
children against parents. Afzal wanted to live quietly with his
family but the STF would not allow him.

You should also know that the STF force is notorious in Kashmir for
extorting money from the people and they have become so infamous that
when Mufti Sayed became the Chief Minister he promised in his
election manifesto to disband the entire force. The STF is known for
human rights violations including killing people in their custody and
brutal, senseless, inhuman torture.

It was under these conditions that forced Afzal to leave his home,
family and settle in Delhi. He struggled hard to earn a living and he
had decided to bring me and our four-year old son, Ghalib, to Delhi.
Like any other family we dreamed of living together peacefully and
bringing up our children, giving them a good education and seeing
them grow up to be good human beings. That dream was cut short when
once again the STF got hold of my husband in Delhi.

The STF told my husband to bring one man Mohammad to Delhi from
Kashmir. He met Mohammad and one other man Tariq there at the STF
camp. He did not know anything about the men and he had no idea why
he was being asked to do the job. He has told all this to the court
but the court chose to believe half his statement about bringing
Mohammad but not the bit that he was told to do so by the STF.

There was no one to represent Afzal in the lower court. The court
appointed a lawyer who never took instructions from Afzal, or cross
examined the prosecution witnesses. That lawyer was communal and
showed his hatred for my husband. When my husband told Judge Dhingra
that he did not want that lawyer the judge ignored him. In fact my
husband went totally undefended in the trial court. When ever my
husband wished to say something the judge would not hear him out and
the judge showed his communal bias in open court.

In the High Court one human rights lawyer offered to represent Afzal
and my husband accepted. But instead of defending Afzal the lawyer
began by asking the court not to hang Afzal but to kill him by a
lethal injection. My husband never expressed any desire to die. He
has maintained that he has been entrapped by the STF. My husband was
shocked but he had no way of changing his lawyer while being locked
up in the high security jail.
It was only after the High Court judgement was pronounced he got to
know about the way the lawyer had represented him. Afzal refused to
accept the same lawyer for his appeal in the Supreme Court. I had no
way of getting Afzal a lawyer. I do not know anyone in Delhi. Finally
Afzal wrote to the Defence Committee set up for Mr Geelani. I am
annexing his letter. And the Defence Committee helped Afzal to get a
senior lawyer, Mr Sushil Kumar. However, the Supreme Court cannot go
into the evidence and so I do not know what will happen.

I appeal to you to ensure that my husband is not condemned to death
and he is ensured a fair trial. Surely your conscience will not allow
you to be a party to the death of a fellow human being who has not
been represented in the court and who has not had a chance to tell
his story? The police have made him falsely confess before the media
even before the trial started. They humiliated him, beat him,
tortured him and even urinated in his mouth. I feel deep shame to
talk about these things in public but circumstances have forced me.
It has taken a lot of courage for me to put all this on paper but I
do so for the sake of my child who is now six years old.

Will you speak out at the injustice my husband has faced? Will you
speak out on my behalf? I am of course fighting for my husband's
life, for the life of my son's father. But I also speak as a Kashmiri
woman who is losing faith in Indian democracy and its ability to be
fair to Kashmiri Muslims.

*Tabassum Srinagar, September 2004.

The Times of India - October 21, 2004 | Op-ed.

BEYOND THE CENSUS: SENSIBLE USES OF SOCIAL STATISTICS
[ by Satish Deshpande ]

The controversy over categorisation of religious communities in the
census reminds us that such data are actually about abstract entities
not perceivable by the senses. We can know many individual members of
large groups like 'Jains', 'children below six' or 'Scheduled Tribes'
through direct experience or observation. But, however many such
individuals we know, we can never have direct access to the abstract
collectivity that represents the entire group.

Most people are unimpressed by the complexity of large collectivities
- we simply think of them as a kind of person. Nor do we believe that
they cannot be known directly, because we know a great deal about the
collectivities we care about. In fact, we often seem to know more
about abstract categories like 'Hindus' or 'Muslims' than we know
about concrete persons like our neighbours or colleagues. We know
their food, their customs and occupations, and just how kind, crafty,
clean, lustful, lazy or pat-riotic they are. In short, we not only
know that 'they are like that only' but also why. Such common sense
works fine in stable times, because the power structure ensures that
our prejudices match our social environment and therefore go
unchallenged. But in turbulent times, political competition
intensifies social friction and raises the stakes. When forced to
defend our own knowledge claims or to challenge those of others, we
are confronted by questions of evidence and the comparative
advantages of different styles of argument. Censuses and surveys
become critically important in this context because they provide
knowledge acquired by the aggregation of systematically gathered
evidence.

The special status of social scientific instruments like censuses and
surveys is not necessarily decisive. We know they can make mistakes;
they can also be biased or manipulated. They rarely produce
conclusive, slam-dunk truths; in any case, political contests are
rarely won by facts alone. Moreover, the census in particular has had
a long and double-edged history. It has been a tool for efficient
exploitation as well as public welfare. It has helped crystallise
aggressive identities and also provides antidotes to their excesses.
Despite all this, censuses and surveys have the advantage of open
procedures of evidence gathering that allow for rational disputation.
This is preferable to non-negotiable assertions backed by faith or
violence, because the census can channel political passions into
constructive debates on the merits of evidence.

This advantage of evidence-based argument must not be forgotten when
evaluating well-intentioned demands for ending all community counts
provoked by the unseemly quarrelling over the religion data of the
2001 census. Here it is useful to ask a question highly recommended
as an investigative tool by both Karl Marx and Sherlock Holmes: Who
benefits?

While it is difficult to make a general case for banning social
statistics, it is easy to identify the beneficiaries. The first to
gain from the absence of census or survey data would be the Mullahs
and the Modis, because they could then insist on their fanatical
fantasies without the handicap of having to account for inconvenient
evidence. Of course, they would lose the opportunity of capitalising
on such data when it favours them, but this loss would be small
because their basic style of argument is not evidence-based anyway.
As their past record indicates, lack of evidence would not inhibit
them from pressing their aggressive claims.
A second set of significant gainers will be those groups and
communities who have been presented in unfavourable light by social
statistics. For example, once we do away with statistics, no
community need worry about, or feel challenged, by things like low
literacy rates or alarming imba-lances in juvenile sex ratios. Apart
from the communities themselves, relief from embarrassment and
accountability will also be available to all those responsible for
dealing with such social problems, especially politicians,
bureaucrats and community leaders. Censoring social stats will also
rob good performers of praise, but this won't matter much in what is
mainly a blame game.

Excessive emphasis on population growth has obscured a third set of
beneficiaries, namely social groups who have benefited
disproportionately from development. This applies more to survey data
from bodies like the National Sample Survey Organisation which show,
for instance, that the upper castes in every religious community
continue to be much better off than the lower castes, and that there
are significant regional variations in caste inequalities. Once such
data is banned, all privileged groups and regions can take pleasure
in being simply and anonymously Indian; what is more, they can share
this pleasure with the underprivileged. Although both sides can then
press their claims unfettered by rules of evidence, the
underprivileged would lose far more because the figures have tended
to favour their cause.

It is more difficult to identify who actually benefits from the
availability of social statistics, because the benefits are
potential. The statistical visibility of an entitlement cannot
guarantee that it will be honoured, but its invisibility usually
guarantees that it will be dishonoured. That is why the general
argument for social statistics is a negative but strong one: The
claims and complaints of social groups must be addressed seriously if
reasonable, and exposed if unreasonable. Their absence or suppression
is sufficient to ensure failure in both.

[Hindutva at Work ! ]

a)

VHP HOLDS 'TRISHUL DIKSHA' IN RAJASTHAN :

Jaipur, Oct 21 : VHP today held a 'trishul diksha' in Rajasthan for
the first time after the BJP government lifted the ban on trident
distribution imposed by the previous Congress regime.
Tridents were distributed to about 325 VHP activists at a special
function at Adarsh Vidhya Mandir in Sanganer.
Addressing the gathering, VHP leader Acharya Dharmendra said
"'trishul' is a symbol of discipline, a matter of faith and religion
and should not be attributed to any terror as misunderstood by the
previous Congress government that banned it deliberately." The
Vasundhara Raje government had, a few months ago, lifted the ban on
trishul diksha under the Arms Act imposed by the previous Congress
government. PTI

o  o  o

b)

The Hindu  Oct 20, 2004  |  Life Hyderabad

BAJRANGIS BAG A `DEGREE'

A GROUP of Bajrang Dal activists emerge from darkness and surround
two `Pakistani militants' who are offering their prayers.

Bajrangis `shoot' the extremists at point-blank range.

With their mission having been accomplished, they holler "Kill the
Pakistani dogs" and move on. In another mock drill, the youth wing of
the Vishwa Hindu Parishad enacts a battle scene, improvising with
lime (for smoke bombs!), and goes for a man-to-man fight with the
imaginary Pakistani militant.

Wondering what's going on? Well, this was part of the valedictory
ceremony of the Andhra Pradesh Bajrang Dal western wing's week-long
training of over 100 youngsters from different parts of the State at
Isnapur in Medak district. Tucked away from the hustle of the
national highway, the vast playground of Manjeera Residential School
was the perfect host for the youngsters. Apart from getting training
in martial arts, the Bajrangis were face to face with lathis and guns.

`Trishul' initiation!

At the end of the gruelling session, they were given `trishuls.' The
ceremony was elaborate, with each trainee performing puja and
receiving his trishul as a mark of completion of the course.

Addressing the Bajrangis, the national secretary of the VHP, Aravind
Choutala, asked them to spread the message that meek would not be
respected.

He pointed out that the youth must be strong and well trained to
protect the nation and society from terrorists.

By J.B.S. Umanadh
in Medak

c)

Asian Age - October 21, 2004

BUNTY, BABLI DANCE INTO TROUBLE WITH UP SAINIKS
By Amita Verma

Lucknow, Oct. 21: Yashraj Films' latest venture, Bunty Aur Babli,
starring Abhishek Bachchan and Rani Mukh-erjee, has run into trouble.
The film, directed by Shaad Ali and currently being shot in Varanasi
district, has earned the ire of local Shiv Sainiks who are visibly
agitated over a song and dance sequence that was shot in the Sri
Swaminath Akhara - a traditional gymnasium supposedly built by
Tulsidas on the banks of the Ganga river at Assi Ghat.

The song sequence was being picturised on Rani Mukherjee in the
akhara on Wednesday when some local youths entered and began
exercising in the courtyard while the shooting of the dance sequence
continued.

Later, local Shiv Sainiks, led by their district chief Ajay Chaubey,
staged a demonstration to protest against shooting inside the akhara.

"According to tradition, women are not allowed to enter akharas,
particularly when men are exercising in the gymnasium. The local
administration, which is apparently working under political influence
and is star-struck by the Bachchans, however, gave permission for the
song to be shot inside the akhara, which is simply blasphemous. We
are now demanding that the scenes shot inside the akhara be deleted
from the film. If the director does not give us an assurance to this
effect, we will not allow further shooting of the film. And if he
does include the scenes despite an assurance, we will burn down
theatres where the film will be screened," the Shiv Sena leader told
The Asian Age on the telephone on Thursday.

The Shiv Sainiks are also enraged at the manner in which the film
unit has converted the historic Nandlal Bajoria Sanskrit School into
a cinema theatre with posters of Hunterwali pasted all over. "The
school is built on land where Rani Laxmibai was born and we cannot
allow the screening of a film like Hunterwali at this historic spot,"
said Mr Chaubey. The Shiv Sainiks met the district authorities on
Thursday and handed over a memorandum listing their demands. The
shooting of the film, however, continued uninterrupted on Thursday
and additional security has been provided to the unit, particularly
the stars, to prevent any untoward incident.

The shooting of Bunty Aur Babli began in Varanasi last week and
superstar Amitabh Bachchan and Raj Babbar, who play character roles
in the film, have already participated in the first shooting schedule.

According to sources, the local Shiv Sainiks were reportedly annoyed
at the fact that they had been prevented from meeting the stars of
the film, particularly Rani Mukherjee, who did not even respond to
their requests for autographs and photographs. "They (Shiv Sainiks)
are now using trivial excuses to mount pressure on the unit and
harass the film stars. We will not succumb to their pressures and
make sure that the shooting is not disturbed," said a senior district
official.

It may be recalled that the "saffron cultural police" in Varanasi,
which often calls itself the Kranti Shiv Sena, has disrupted
shootings and screenings of several films on many occasions. The best
known example is that of Deepa Mehta's Water, which had to be finally
shelved when the local people in Varanasi resorted to violence,
accusing the film's director and writer of distorting Hindu culture
in her film.

The screening of Fire and Girlfriend also had to be stopped when Shiv
Sainiks threatened to burn down theatres. Even a superhit film like
Mohabbatein faced the people's wrath in Varanasi over the wrong
recitation of the Gayatri Mantra in a scene.

d)

Indian Express - October 21, 2004
NEW CHIEF ADVANI'S NOT-SO NEW PLAN: BOND WITH SANGH, RAISE ITALY
Manini Chatterjee

NEW DELHI, OCTOBER 20: In a significant move aimed at re-establishing
close ties with the RSS, newly appointed BJP chief L K Advani's first
big outing after taking over will be to Nagpur. There, on Friday, he
will meet top Sangh leaders at the RSS headquarters, including
sarsanghchalak K Sudershan, and participate in the Vijaya Dashami
programme, the most important event in the organisation's annual
calendar.

It has been a long time since a BJP leader has visited Nagpur on the
occasion of Vijaya Dashami-also the founding day of the RSS-and is
particularly significant in view of the strained relations between
Sudarshan and the BJP leadership, RSS sources said.

The visit to Nagpur apart, Advani gave enough indication today that
the party under his leadership would once again adopt a hardline
"nation first" policy and beat back the "ideological assault"
unleashed by the Left-backed UPA government.

Addressing his first formal press conference after taking over as
president, Advani adopted an aggressive tone throughout and revived
his 1980s era rhetoric against "pseudo secularism" and "minorityism."

He also raked up Sonia Gandhi's foreign origins issue while attacking
the Congress party for being a national but "not a nationalist
party." Elaborating, he said, "It is a sad irony , and a deeply
worrying development, that the Congress party, which was in the
forefront of India's freedom struggle, has surrendered itself to the
care of a dynasty, now headed by a person of foreign origin. It is
also evident in the unabashed manner in which it is compromising
national interests through its perverse pursuit of pseudo-secularism."

Accusing the Congress party of turning a blind eye to the large-scale
infiltration of Bangaldeshis to India "that could lead to the
creation of a 'Third Islamic State''', he said the party's "vote-bank
politics" was also evident from its insult to Savarkar and arrest of
Uma Bharati.

He went on to say, ''In order to hide its craven dependence on
pseudo-secularism, the Congress, along with its Communist allies, has
mounted an unprecedented ideological offensive against the BJP. As
the president of the Party, it shall be my endeavour to galvanise the
BJP and effectively counter this ideological offensive."

Although he has taken over the reins of the party after its string of
defeats (in UP, BJP candidates came fourth and fifth in a majority of
the bypolls), Advani showed no signs of worry or regret.  [. . . ].
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=57387

e)

ndtv.com

DISSOLUTION OF RIOT ENQUIRY SPARKS ROW IN RAJASTHAN

Rajan Mahan
Friday, October 8, 2004 (Jaipur):
The dissolution of a judicial commission investigating communal riots
in a Rajasthan town has sparked off a major row.
Appointed by the previous Congress-government sate, the commission
was probing the riots in Gangapur that left three people dead and 60
injured in 2002.
The commission, headed by Justice Israni of the Rajasthan High Court,
had examined and gathered evidence from 50 witnesses over the last
two years.
Efforts wasted
But with the Vasundhara government scrapping it, all efforts have now
gone to waste.
"Our report would have shown how the riots were caused and who was
responsible for them and whether the police action in the case was
justified. But now nothing will come out," said Justice Israni.
Tension had erupted in Gangapur when an angry mob refused to allow
the Moharram procession to go past a temple in the town.
Violence, thereafter, had left three people dead and over 40 VHP and
Bajrang Dal workers were arrested.
The Congress says scrapping the commission is a conspiracy to save
the Sangh Parivar workers.
"The intention behind scrapping the commission is to save the VHP and
Bajrang Dal workers against whom evidence had been collected. The
Congress will write a letter to the President of India to oppose this
move," said Suraj Khatri, Congress General Secretary, Rajasthan.
'Only option'
But the government says despite spending two years and Rs 50 lakh,
the commission gave no report and dissolving it was the only option.
"Legal advice was taken before this decision was made. Whatever our
government has done is according to rules as there was too much
delay," said Amra Ram Chaudhary, Home Minister, Rajasthan.
Eighteen government officials, who testified, reportedly told the
commission that it were VHP and Bajrang Dal workers who triggered the
tensions in Gangapur.
While the commission has been scrapped at one stroke, the political
row over it will linger on for a long time.

______

[6] Upcoming Event:

Wellesley College  Presents

THE FINAL SOLUTION -- A Film Featuring Families Caught Up In The
Politics Of Hate
Film and discussion with Director Rakesh Sharma

*Best Documentary & Critics Choice, Hong Kong International Film Festival
*Wolfgang Staudte Award & Special Jury Award, Berlin International
Film   Festival

Sponsored by The Womens' Studies Department, Wellesley Association
for   South Asian Cultures, Advisor to Students of Asian Decent, Art
and Art   History Department, Political Science Department, Committee
Against  Racism   and Discrimination and the Committee for Lectures
and Cultural Events

Date: Sat, Oct. 30th   Time: 4pm-6pm   Venue: PNW 212  [Wellesley   College]

The Final Solution examines the aftermath of the burning of Hindus on
the   Sabarmati Express train at Godhra on February 27 2002. The film
reveals   the reaction to the tragic incident in which hundreds of
women were raped   and more than 2000 Muslims were murdered.
Rakesh Sharma, an independent documentary film maker, began his
career in   1986 as an assistant director on Discovery of India.
Sharma has won   numerous awards. His other widely appraised works
include "Aftershocks:   the Rough Guide to Democracy".
Reception to follow. Free and Open to All.
For disability services contact Jim Wice-781 283 2434
questions-email sbaig at wellesley.edu

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on matters of peace
and democratisation in South Asia. SACW is an independent &
non-profit citizens wire service run since 1998 by South Asia
Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/