SACW | 31 Jul 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Jul 30 21:59:56 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire    |  31 July,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]   India: The Real Islam: A tale of two
visions one mystical, the other orthodox (William
Dalrymple)
[2]   Religion, Power and Violence: A view from India (Ram Puniyani)
[3]   Seminar on Rebuilding justice and hope in
Gujarat: A Letter to the Editor and Reports
    - Letter to the Editor (Mukul Dube)
    - India: 'Post-riots, Muslims facing economic boycott'
    - Call to re-open Godhra issue
[4]  India: Release and discussion - Gallerie's
14th issue celebrating women (Bombay, Aug 5)
[5]  India: Action Alert!!  Protest Against The
Netarhat Field Firing Range in Jharkhand
[6]   India's Messy 'secularism' badly needs active rebuilding
   (i)   A law to stop burying alive people (Rakesh Bhatnagar)
   (ii)  Tamil Nadu: Animal sacrifice Act repealed
   (iii)  Gujarat turns to Reiki for rains
   (iv)  Gujarat Government's partying VHP ideologue's birthday
   (v)  'Detox' drive hits pre-Joshi book (Shivani Singh)

--------------

[1]

Time Magazine - July 26-August 2, 2004 / Vol. 164, No. 4/5

INDIA: THE REAL ISLAM
A tale of two opposing visions of Islamic
afterlife-one mystical, the other orthodox-in
eternal conflict

by William Dalrymple

[Photo: John Stanmeyer--VII ]
[Photo Caption: HOLY QUEST: Early morning at the
Nizamuddin shrine in New Delhi, where Sufis pray
to find their way in this life and the path to
the next]

What you must understand is this," said Amin,
stroking his long, straggly beard. "Sufism is not
Islamic. It is jadoo: magic tricks. It is
superstition. It has nothing to do with real
Islam."

Amin ul-Karim and I were standing outside a kebab
restaurant among the medieval lanes of
Nizamuddin, my favorite part of New Delhi. Clouds
of charcoal smoke wafted into the air, and the
scent of grilling meat floated out over streets
bustling with pilgrims, madrasah students,
sellers of rose petals, little boys playing
cricket and beggars seeking alms.

To one side lay the destination to which the
crowds of pilgrims were heading: a warren of
alleys and bazaars leading toward the shrine of
India's most revered Sufi saint, Hazrat
Nizamuddin Auliya. Nizamuddin was a 14th century
Muslim mystic who withdrew from the world and
preached a message of prayer, love and the unity
of all things. He promised his followers that if
they loosened their ties with the world, they
could purge their souls of worries and directly
experience God. Rituals and fasting were for the
pious, said the saint, but love was everywhere
and was much the surest route to the divine.

Yet only a short distance from the shrine towered
a very different Islamic institution, one that
embodied a quite different face of Islam. The
merkaz is a modern, gray, concrete structure
seven stories tall that houses the world
headquarters of an austere Islamic movement
called Tablighism, to which Amin belongs. The
Tablighis advocate a return to the basic
fundamentals of the Koran, and greatly dislike
the mystical Islam of Sufism, which they believe
encourages such un-Koranic practices as idolatry,
music, dancing and the veneration of dead saints.
This was certainly the view of Amin, who, when I
met him, had been busy trying to persuade passing
pilgrims to turn away from their destination. "I
invite these people who come to Nizamuddin to
return to the true path of the Koran," he said.
"Do not pray to a corpse, I tell them. Go to the
mosque, not a grave. Superstition leads to
jahannam-hell. True Islam leads to
jannah-paradise."

"What sort of paradise?" I asked.

"It is beyond all human imagination," said Amin.
"But there will be couches to lie on in the
shade, and rivers of milk and honey and, cool,
clear springwater."

"What about the Sufi idea that God can also be
found in the human heart?" I asked.

"Paradise within us?" said Amin, raising his
eyebrows. "No, no, this is emotional talk-a dream
only. There is nothing in the Koran about
paradise within the body. It is outside. To get
there you must follow the commands of the
Almighty. Then when you die, insh'allah, that
will be where your journey ends."
Here, it seemed to me, lay some sort of crux-a
clash of civilizations, not between East and West
but within Islam itself. Between the strictly
regulated ways of the orthodox Tablighis and the
customs of the heterodox Sufis lay not just two
different understandings of Islam but two
entirely different conceptions of how to live,
how to die, and how to make the final and most
important, and difficult, journey of all-to
paradise.

Six years earlier, I had been sitting in a
roadside tea shop amid the desert of Rajasthan
when I saw a succession of five bicycle rickshaws
appear over the horizon, winding their way
through the dusty scrub of the Jaipur highway.
Every time a juggernaut thundered past, the
fragile rickshaws lurched toward the dirt of the
hard shoulder. The desert was level and
featureless. So flat was the ground that through
the shimmering heat haze you could see the convoy
struggling for a full half-hour before it finally
drew level with the roadside dhaba. Inside the
rickshaws were 12 Sufi dervishes, with wild eyes
and long, unkempt beards. The fronts of their
shalwars were covered with charms, pieces of
tinsel and silver talismans. They were
all-drivers and dervishes alike-hot and thirsty,
and they pulled into the dhaba calling loudly for
water and tea.

The men were braving the desert to attend the
death anniversary of the Sufi saint Khwaja Garib
Nawaz, who lived in the 13th century, a little
before Nizamuddin's time and who belonged to the
same mystical tradition. As they shook the desert
from their clothes, I asked them about their
journey. "We have cycled all the way from Delhi,"
said one of the drivers.

"Delhi? But that is-what?-400 km away?"

"Garib Nawaz will reward us for our pains," he
replied. "It is he who gives us strength." The
drivers and their passengers sat together on a
charpoy, pouring their tea into tin saucers, then
noisily sipping the hot, sweet liquid from the
plates. "Anyone who steps through the door of his
shrine," said another driver, "will get paradise
as his everlasting home."

I was heading in the same direction, so the
following day I went along to the Sufi festival
in Ajmer. Virtually overnight the small
provincial town was transformed into a heaving,
mystic metropolis. Tens of thousands of pilgrims
from all over India were milling around the
streets, pouring out of buses, unrolling their
bedding on the pavement, and cooking their
breakfast on portable stoves. From the different
encampments on the outskirts-tent cities that
resembled the halting place of some medieval
army-rivulets of devotees threaded through the
bazaars, forming larger streams as they converged
on the streets leading to the shrine.

A succession of Mughal mosques, tombs and
pavilions were crammed to bursting with ecstatics
and madmen, pilgrims and spectators. The entire
complex was alive with the intoxicating smell of
roses, which the devotees carried in
sweet-smelling punnets to pour great fountains of
petals onto the saint's grave. The numbers were
amazing, but what was even more remarkable in a
nation polarized by religious rivalries was the
different traditions from which the pilgrims were
drawn. Many were Muslim, but there were also
Hindus, as well as the odd Sikh and Christian,
all queuing to pay their respects to the saint.
Here, for once, you saw religion bringing people
together, not dividing them. Sufism was not just
something mystical, ethereal and otherworldly, I
felt, but a balm on India's festering religious
wounds. I asked one group of Hindu pilgrims if
they were made to feel welcome in a Muslim
shrine. "Of course," said their leader, a trader
from neighboring Gujarat state. "All Gods are the
same."

When I asked why they had made the effort to come
all this way, the man replied with the following
story: "When our child was young, he became very
ill. No medicines from any doctor helped. We
tried everything, but our son only got weaker.
Then some neighbors said we should come here. We
were desperate, so we got on a bus. We brought
the boy to the shrine and one of its guardians
cured him. What could not be done in 12 months he
did in a minute." So now the trader and his
family return each year to give thanks.

From the very beginning of Sufism, music, dance,
poetry and meditation have been seen as crucial
spiritual strides on the path of love, an
invaluable aid toward attaining unity with
God-true paradise. Music, in particular, enables
devotees to focus their whole being on the divine
so intensely that the soul is both destroyed and
resurrected. At Sufi shrines, devotees are lifted
by the music into a state of spiritual ecstasy.

Yet these heterodox methods of worship have
divided Sufis from many of their Muslim brethren.
Throughout Islamic history, more puritanical
Muslims have claimed that Sufi practices were
infections from Christianity and Hinduism, quite
alien to the original principles of Islam. As
Najaf Haider, professor of medieval history at
Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, tells
it, such conflicts were inevitable: "In orthodox
Islam the object of creation is the worship of
God; God is the master and the devotee is the
slave. The Sufis argue that God should be
worshipped not because he has commanded us to but
because he's such a lovable being. The
cornerstone of Sufi ideology is love, and all
traditions are tolerated because anyone is
capable of expressing love for God."

The most formidable of all the anti-Sufi
movements was Wahhabism from Arabia, its
followers the progenitors of modern Islamic
fundamentalists, who on coming to power in the
early 19th century destroyed all the Sufi and
Shi'a shrines in Arabia and Iraq. Today, the most
prominent-and powerful-Wahhabis are the Saudis.
Because they dominate media in the Arab world,
many contemporary Muslims have been taught a
story of Islamic religious tradition from which
Sufism is rigorously excluded.

I first came across strongly anti-Sufi sentiments
last fall when I visited a shrine just outside
Peshawar in Pakistan's North-West Frontier
Province. The Sufi shrine of Rahman Baba has for
centuries been a place where Muslim musicians and
poets have gathered. It is built around the tomb
of a 17th century mystic poet whose Pashtu Sufi
verses have led to him being described as the
nightingale of Peshawar. A friend who had lived
nearby in the 1980s advised me to visit on a
Thursday night, when crowds of Afghan refugee
musicians sing to their saint by the light of the
moon-a sight he described as unforgettable. Since
he had left Peshawar, however, much had changed.
Two Saudi-funded madrasahs had been built on the
road to the shrine, and they had taken it upon
themselves to halt what they regarded as the
shrine's un-Islamic practices.

One Thursday I drove out of Peshawar, passed the
two madrasahs, and found the tarmac road giving
way to a mud track, down which herds of sheep
were throwing up huge clouds of dust as they were
driven back to their village compounds for the
night. Past the village was a well-irrigated
enclosure sheltered by a windbreak of date palms.
Beyond lay the glistening white dome of the
shrine, and facing it a mosque and a new
mud-brick library. Tamarind, neem trees and a
great, spreading banyan grew beside a bubbling
spring. But there were no musicians there that
evening, only a small crowd of beggars, a man
selling chick peas and dates from a trolley, and
a couple of Sufi holy men carrying green flags.
Watching suspiciously a short distance away were
two young men wearing full beards, white robes
and checked red-and-white Saudi ghuttras, or head
scarves.

I asked one of the shrine's guardians, Tila
Mohammed, why there were not more pilgrims and
what had happened to the musicians for which his
shrine was once famous. He motioned for me to
come into his room beside the library, out of the
earshot of the two men in ghuttras.

"My family has been singing here for
generations," said Tila Mohammed. "But now these
Arab madrasah students come here and create
trouble. They tell us that what we do is wrong.
They ask people who are singing to stop.
Sometimes arguments break out-even fistfights.
This used to be a place where people came for
peace of mind. Now they just encounter more
problems, so gradually people have stopped
coming."

"We pray that Baba will work a miracle," Tila
Mohammed continued, "that good will overcome
evil. But our way is pacifist. We love. We never
fight. When these Arabs come here, I just don't
know what to do to stop them."
The tablighis in Nizamuddin are not Wahhabi, but
their beliefs are derived from similar
theological traditions. They share the Wahhabis'
suspicion of the Sufis, and their effect on the
Nizamuddin shrine is the same, as they slowly
attempt to undermine Islam's most tolerant and
syncretic incarnation just when that face of
Islam is most needed in healing the growing
breach between Islam and other religions. After
leaving Amin at the doors of his Tablighi
headquarters, I headed on down into the alleys of
Nizamuddin. Taking off my sandals at the entrance
of the shrine, I spoke with Hussein, the old man
who looks after the shoes of the pilgrims. I
asked what he thought of the Tablighis. Hussein's
response was passionate: "These people are so
extreme and intolerant. Look around you. Everyone
in Delhi knows about the power of Nizamuddin.
Everyone knows that if your heart is pure and you
ask him something, that he cannot refuse you. I
have felt his power in my own life. I lost my hut
in a slum clearance 10 years ago. I was hungry
and I had nothing. But I prayed to the saint, and
through him I found a place to stay and a way of
supporting my family. I tell you: if anybody
abuses Nizamuddin Auliya, I will be the first to
defend him-with my knife if need be."

  The cornerstone of Sufi ideology is Love.
-NAJAF HAIDER,  Indian historian

It was a Thursday evening when, during the
singing of the qawwalis, the mesmerizing love
songs of the Indian Sufis, the spiritual life of
the shrine was to reach its climax. Huge crowds
of pilgrims were already sitting cross-legged in
the forecourt in front of the tomb, and the first
qawwali singers were beginning to strike up their
music. Around them was a press of excited
onlookers. Most pilgrims had come with their
families-groups of little boys with eyes
wonderfully darkened with kohl, little girls who
perhaps had been ill and had been brought for
healing. At the shrine itself there were young
women trying to tie small threads through the
lattices of its screens, each one of them with
some prayer or petition, usually a plea for
marriage or children.

To one side was a huge cauldron of biryani that
had just been carried in to feed the poor. On
another was a gathering of women who had come to
learn to read Arabic in the simple school that
operated from the back of the shrine. There were
Muslim grandmothers in black chadors from Bengal,
Punjabi Sikhs in their blue turbans, Hindu women
from South India with the large red bindis on
their foreheads, all coming to pray to the saint,
all coming to use Nizamuddin as their
intermediary to God.

The crowds thickened. The tempo of the music
quickened, and some of the pilgrims began to sink
into a trance. Old men were swaying now, arms
extended, hands cupped in supplication, lost to
the world; women were tossing their hair from
side to side; and the first of a succession of
dervishes rose to their feet to dance. The
atmosphere, already heavy with the rich scent of
rose petals, grew heavier still, filled with the
softly mouthed and murmured prayers, and with the
passionate incantations and expectations of
10,000 pilgrims.

I left them there, with their prayers and
petitions, still seeking paradise in that most
elusive of all destinations, the human heart.

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:17:52 +0530 (IST)

RELIGION, POWER AND VIOLENCE: A VIEW FROM INDIA

by Ram Puniyani

The world scene has seen immense and horrific violence
in recent times. Two planes ram into the World trade
center, nearly three thousand people perish into
oblivion, an 'Islamic
terrorist' Osama bin Laden thanks Allah for this act.
US President George W. Bush launches an attack on
Afghanistan to catch hold of Osama bin Laden and call
this attack as crusade.

Separated by thousands of kilometers, in another part
of the World, Gujarat, India, a train coach is burned.
Instant investigation by the Chief minister of that
state gives him the insight that this was an act of
Islamic terrorists in collaboration with local
Muslims. His associates give the call that Hindus are
in danger and he signals that revenge process will not
be disturbed. He instructs his staff to sit back. His
administration goes a step further and assists the
rampaging marauders out to kill Muslims. Two thousand
people loose their life. The plight of women and
children is beyond description. What these victims
share in common is the religion called Islam. Just a
few years ago people in Bosnia and Rwanda died in
thousands for belonging to the 'wrong' religion.

Last three decades have seen the violence world over
under the flag of religions. Is this violence done to
save some religion or its followers? Is it done to
protect the moral values, din, ethics, and dharma of
the particular religions? Is this violence done to
save the traditions and communitarian ethos of the
followers of those religions? How are religions
related to the massive violence, which goes on in
their name?

One recalls that even in medieval times the phenomenon
of crusades, jihads and dharmayudhs, which, kings
undertook on the pretext of religion. Were these meant
to expand religion or were they meant to expand their
empires. One recalls that the identity of religions is
associated more with the clergy and less with the
moral values of the religions. It does not require too
much of knowledge to realize that in pre-industrial
society the clergy, the most visible part of religions
was associated with the landlords and the kings in
different forms. Somewhere in direct collaboration
from top to bottom, somewhere in fragmented form. Also
there was another set of people associated with
religions, the saints, who were away from the power
centers. These were the saints, the bhakti saints in
Hindu tradition, the Sufi saints in Islamic tradition
and mystiques and later liberation theologian in
Christian tradition, were away from the centers of
power and were close to the poor, exploited and
oppressed sections of society.

The rulers did not tolerate the saints. The clergy,
the official upholders of the religion, were hostile
to bhakti saints, who were killed in various ways. The
two facets of religion were always counter-posed to
each other. Since the traditions close to power are
more dominant, the Church, Olema and Brahmins are
presented as the vehicles of religion. The parallel
traditions of saintís remains on the margins, snubbed
by the social and political powers.

A sufi saint Nizamuddin Auliya refused to receive the
emperor in his dargah, Tukaram was done to death,
Chokhamela reprimands God himself for the plight of
the poor. These traditions emphasize on the message of
love and amity in contrast to the clergy, which gives
importance to rituals and the written word. In India
the saints, mostly came from low caste and did
proclaim that they have no capacity to learn the heavy
tomes of their religion written in Devbhasha (language
of Gods, upper caste) Sanskrit, which was denied to
them anyway, because of their low caste status.

During the process of secularization the role of
clergy declined from the social and political space.
The structural hierarchies of caste and gender, which
this clergy legitimized in the name of religion
started getting challenged, got abolished in countries
where industrialization took place in the early
period. These societies strove for the values of
Liberty Equality and Fraternity (community). In
colonies the nexus between colonial powers and the
landlords, kings blocked the secularization process.
And in country like India these declining classes,
Landlord-Clergy, threw up the politics in the name of
religion, known as communal politics. For example in
India it came up as Muslim league and Hindu
Mahasabha-RSS, but these were marginal streams. At
World level the politics was dominated by the colonial
powers. Later US emerged as the major World power and
national liberation struggles in the colonies took the
inspiration from Russian and Chinese revolutions, at
many places under the flag of socialism. During this
era the global violence was presented as the struggle
between the ëfree worldí and communism.

After the cold war era, the decline of socialist
economies, the hegemony of US started becoming
indisputable. Its machinations in the oil zone where
Islam was the dominant religion, the new offensive of
Imperialism took the garb of religious language and
the 'backward Islam' started being targeted by the US
and its cohorts. It is to support this imperialist
ambition that the theory of Clash of Civilizations
(Samuel Huntington) came up as a cover for US
policies. This theory very cleverly counter poses the
advanced Western Civilization against backward Islamic
civilization. Here the Western civilization is not
Christian, and the Middle East Muslims and others are
clubbed to be having the backward Islamic
civilization. The wars launched by US against the
people of Afghanistan and Iraq is presented as a
logical extension of this thesis, to set right the
wrongs of backward Muslims.

Around this time in India the rise of Hindutva
politics has goals similar to the ones of the US as
far as targeting Muslims and Islam are concerned. This
Hindutva ideology is a politics based on Brahminical
stream of Hinduism and had base earlier in the
declining classes of Landlords and clergy (Jamindar,
Brahmin, Bania) and now it flourishes amongst the new
middle class thrown up by the so called development
process. This middle class, affluent and the core of
ëShining Indiaí has gained immensely from the process
of industrialization and also from the mindless
globalization from eighties onwards. It is this middle
class, which sustains a new breed of religious people,
in saffron or any other color. This new set of Gurus
and Acharyas, Sri Sri Ravishankar, Asaram Bapu,
Pandurang Shastri Athwale, Sudhanshu Mahraj, Aniruddh
Bapu and the like, are the nerve soothers for the
existential tensions of the middle class. These Gurus
are pushing the Manusmsirit and the feudal values of
caste and gender hierarchies in a new language, the
language laced with modernity, so to say.

Globally and locally various phenomenon are
overlapping. Now as the offensive of power seekers at
world level is masked in the language of religion,
particularly anti-Islam, those aspiring for control on
social and political power at home are also using this
Hindutva, religion based politics.

The language of religion is deceptive. It gives it a
type of moral sanctity, it creates a sort of mass
hysteria, and it offers a sort of platform for the
retrograde ideology. The goals of power are creating
violence, condoned by those who should have different
types of social power. Violence is the superficial
layer of this politics of power in the name of
religion. It is more than a coincidence that while,
religion targeted by US at the level of the World and
the one targeted in India by Hindutva are the same.
The camaraderie of those using religion for their
political goals cannot be missed.

Religion has diverse functions in society. The way it
is being used (! abused) by Hindutva and US and its
cohorts, is its most dominant face. The clergy at many
times plays diverse roles as well. At times it has
played the role of projecting the religion, which is
the opiate of the masses, it has also been the sigh of
the oppressed in this heartless world. The Sufis and
saints had particularly played the latter role. While
the opiate role has been played by the section of
clergy tied to the apron strings of those in political
and social power, acting as legitimizers of their
exploitative and oppressive role. One sees the Church
of old times associating with Kings, and the one
currently, which is opposing the US offensives as the
same institution playing diverse role with change of
time. One can see in Indian context the fleet of gurus
with immense wealth under their control serving as the
base for creating the opinion and opium for Hindutva
politics. One also sees the saffron clad sadhus of
Vishwa Hindu Parishad asking for revenge against
Muslims.

Religion, if one regards moral values as its core,
should not be associated with power. Different types
of people associated with religion have at times
played as handmaiden to the power centers,
legitimizing their violence in turn. The triad of
religion power and violence gets connected once we see
the ambitions of those using religion for their narrow
goals. If the people of religion cannot be associated
with the plight of poor and oppressed they are
handmaidens of the powerful. And in turn then they are
legitimsers of violence. The examples of these abound.

It is time that the people associated with religion
realize the abuse to which religion has been put. Some
streams of religion are for this goal in a blatant
fashion. Than there are other streams of religion
which play a soothing role for the exploited sections
of society. This section of religious people, true to
the moral values of religions, can live their religion
only by associating themselves with the plight of the
poor, oppressed and the underdogs. Association of
religion with power is the crux of its negative role
in society. A severance of this will surely put
religion more as the vehicle of sigh of the oppressed
and this can only be achieved by firm advocacy of the
causes of this section, this can be achieved by
associating with their struggles for the justice,
gender, economic, social and political.

(Excerpts from the talk delivered at 6th W.A. Vissert
Hooft Memorial Consultation, Ecumenical Institute
Bossey, June 2004)

______

[3]    [The Seminar on Rebuilding justice and
hope in Gujarat: A Letter to the Editor and
Reports ]

Letter to the Editor

D-504 Purvasha
Mayur Vihar 1
Delhi 110091

Dear Editor,

Anhad, Citizens' Initiative, the India International Centre
and Janandolan jointly organised a seminar, "Rebuilding justice
and hope in Gujarat: the agenda ahead", in New Delhi on 29
July 2004. Although the speakers dealt with several subjects --
the subversion of legal justice, compensation and rehabilitation,
the economic boycott of Muslims, and the many things that remain
to be done -- the report published the next day in the *Hindu*
covered only Godhra and POTA. Just over three quarters of the
report were devoted to Godhra while the remainder went to POTA.

Indeed Godhra is important. For one thing, it is widely used as
shorthand for all that happened in Gujarat after 27 February 2002.
It is important also because the sole attempt, though a notably
twisted one, that the Sangh Parivar has made to approach
rationality is to explain away the violence against Gujarat's
Muslims as a "natural reaction" to what happened at Godhra,
paying no attention to the large body of evidence which suggests
that what was nothing less than a pogrom had been carefully
planned and prepared for well in advance.

POTA too is important: just as TADA was before it, just as the
earlier Mrs. Gandhi's Emergency was -- and just as, even
today, the Armed Forces Special Powers Act is important in our
north-eastern states. All represent or represented the use, by
the State or by its organs, of unusually stringent and harsh
measures against people who need not even be suspects in the
strict sense; all place or placed severe curbs on people's
ordinary democratic rights and on their access to the system of
justice; and all are or were justified on the ground that the
laws already in place are or were insufficient to cope with
dangers which have in each case been described as exceptional.

Did the Staff Reporter of the *Hindu* consider those other
matters -- the subversion of legal justice, compensation and
rehabilitation, the economic boycott of Muslims, and the many
things that remain to be done -- unimportant? Is a person who
has been wronged not entitled to justice? Are those who have
lost goods or homes or property, or even their very limbs, not
entitled to be compensated and rehabilitated? Does the economic
boycott of citizens not amount to their slow starvation, to the
denial to them of necessities such as food, clothes, health
care and education?

Above all, did the Staff Reporter of the *Hindu* not hear what
speaker after speaker said about the role, the negligence, the
culpability of the political leadership of Gujarat and of the
law and justice machinery of that province?

Mukul Dube

o o o o

[Call to re-open Godhra issue  (The Hindu, July 30, 2004)

o o o o

[Related news coverage]

Delhi Newsline - July 30, 2004

'POST-RIOTS, MUSLIMS FACING ECONOMIC BOYCOTT'
Express News Service
New Delhi, July 29:	A seminar on the
rehabilitation of victims of the post-Godhra
riots was organised by the NGO ANHAD, at the
India International Centre today.

Fr Cedric Prakash, a social activist from
Ahmedabad, said that one of the most important
issues is the ongoing economic boycott of most of
the state's Muslims. ''The condition in Gujarat
is much worse today than it was in March 2000,''
he said. ''Today, if you are a Muslim in Gujarat,
your life is confined to clearly defined ghettos,
without any economic activity of import...where
you will not find even a single branch of a
nationalised bank.''

  ''There is no better example of a fascist state
than today's Gujarat anywhere in the world,'' he
added.

''There are people who live in the so-called
border areas of these ghettos...with their bags
perpetually packed, ready to leave at the
smallest sign of trouble, whether in the form of
police checks before a VIP passes through, or a
procession to the nearest temple,'' said Zakia,
an aid-worker. She also mentioned the increasing
drop-out rates among Muslim children.

Speakers drew attention to ''inadequate
compensation'' provided to riot victims. ''The
state spent anything between Rs 1.5 lakh to Rs 4
lakh per family when the earthquake happened. All
it has done in the case of the riot victims is to
build 5,000 homes, at a cost of Rs 22,000 to Rs
32,000 each,'' said Gagan Sethi, one of the
panelists. He claimed there are 5,000 displaced
people who have not received any aid.

''If to be rehabilitated means to have four walls
and a roof around you, then yes, these people
have been rehabilitated. But the fact remains
that most of us have bigger bathrooms than the
so-called houses that government has built for
them,'' said Professor Ansari, one of the
speakers. ''In fact, after the riots were over,
the inspectors went around evaluating the losses
suffered by the victims. Some of their houses and
shops were valued at a few hundred rupees,
whereas earthquake victims got Rs 40,000, even if
they lived in a slum,'' he added.

''The state bureaucracy have identified
themselves with the powers-that-be, thinking that
is going to help them survive...Police are busy
looking after VIP-security and partisan policing
poses the greatest danger to the well-being of
the state today,'' said Chaman Lal, a former
member of the National Human Rights Commission.

GALLERIE: A JOURNEY OF IDEAS

Join us at the launch of Gallerie's 14th issue celebrating women,
on Thursday August 5, 2004 at 6 pm. [at Crossword bookstore, Bombay]
There will be a  discussion with actor and activist Nandita Das,
deputy bureau chief of The Hindu, Kalpana Sharma,
actor and poet Tom Alter and editor Bina Sarkar Ellias.

About the bookazine

Title: International Gallerie
Publisher: Gallerie Publishers
Price: Rs 295

This issue of Gallerie celebrates women who have
empowered themselves and made a difference
to the community through their work. Women who have claimed their own destinies
and whose lives are luminous with the vigour and courage they have summoned.

Come join us for a stimulating evening and
participate in this lively discussion

National Centre for Advocacy Studies,
www.ncasindia.org
ncas at vsnl.com