SACW | 4 Jul 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Jul 3 20:22:10 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire    |  4 July,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]  Bangladesh: Women have rights, even in sports (edit., New Age)
+ Women's wrestling amid tight  security (news report)
[2]  Wagah-Attari Memorial Petition & India Pakistan Peace Day websites ()
[3]  Turkey's headscarf decision vindicated (Ishtiaq Ahmed)
[4]   India and Pakistan: Good Fences Make Good Neighbors (Amy Waldman )
[5]  Anti War Assembly planned by Citizens Against War and Occupation
[6]   How many chipayanas ? - Sewer As Death Traps !! (Subhash Gatade )

--------------

[1]

New Age [Bangladesh]
July 4, 2004
Editorial

WOMEN HAVE RIGHTS, EVEN IN SPORTS

The frenzy with which some extremist religious
bodies have been going after the proposed women's
wrestling event in the capital brings up once
more the spectre of what we are up against. It is
important that the threat which has been held out
against the organisers of the event by elements
seeking to portray women's sports as against the
tenets of faith be tackled head-on, if only to
prevent such people or people like them from
coming in the way of sports in future. The fact
that one of the men behind the ruckus has
threatened to sacrifice his life in his zeal to
put a stop to women's wrestling should be
dismissed with the contempt it deserves, for the
simple reason that such men do not speak for this
country. And the country, in case we need to
remind ourselves, is one that has been shaped on
the basis of rich cultural traditions going back
hundreds of years. If, therefore, today a rabid
group of individuals arrogating to themselves the
right to interpret the principles of religion
take it upon themselves to interpret what is good
and holy for us, it is the responsibility of the
government as well as the broad structure of
society to resist them. It is highly improper
that such men should come in the way of sports
and indeed in the way of everything of an
aesthetic nature in the country.
    The Bangladesh Wrestling Federation needs the
support and cooperation of all sections of the
population in its endeavour to advance the cause
of women's sports in the country. One of the
important signs of a nation breaking out of
insularity and moving on to meet the rest of the
world is through the media of sports. When women
all over the world, and that includes many of our
neighbouring countries (with the exception of
Pakistan), have been proving their mettle in
various sporting events, it becomes our overall,
collective national responsibility to ensure that
our women be imparted training in the various
categories of sports. Essentially, the history of
sports in this country has been one of women
making their very remarkable contributions in
such areas as athletics, judo, karate, chess,
shooting, et al. It is therefore easily to be
understood that women's sports in this country
have long been an established truth. The very
fact that a particular sports complex has been
given over to women in the nation's capital is
proof of how much value we as a people attach to
the idea of women's sports in our country.
Bangladesh may not have made much of a
contribution to sports in global terms, but it
certainly goes without saying that with our men
and women both focusing in a more concentrated
manner on sporting events we surely can look
forward to some steady progress in the times
ahead.
    It is time for all of us to undertake resolute
measures against any effort toward pushing this
nation into medievalism of any kind. If today we
capitulate before the extreme rightwing fringe on
the issue of sports, tomorrow we just may have to
face new demands from them that women be banned
from working outside the home, that indeed
Bangladesh mutate into a land where women's
rights become conspicuous by their absence. It is
something which will militate against our very
national ethos. For such reasons alone, we
condemn the regressive attempt made by a few
self-proclaimed guardians of religion to have
women's wrestling banned. We expect the wrestling
federation not to give in. If it does, it will be
making a mistake for which we will have to pay a
high price in future.

o o o

New Age  [Bangladesh]
July 4, 2004

Women's wrestling amid tight
security today
AZAD MAJUMDER and ALPHA ARZU

The government has put in place an elaborate
security measure for a women's wrestling
competition, scheduled to be held at the
Dhanmondi Women's Sports Complex today, amid
threat from some Islamic groups.
    Plainclothesmen were deployed Saturday evening
in and around the complex where some 50
contestants from different districts and
organisations had assembled for the event.
    The government has assured the Bangladesh
Wrestling Federation and the Women's Sports
Association of adequate security arrangement for
the daylong competition.
    Meanwhile, several women's rights activists
have condemned the Islamic groups for issuing
threats against the wrestling competition which
is "absolutely wrong".
    Jamiatul Ulama Islami Bangladesh has vowed to
foil the competition saying it 'is contrary to
the tenets of Islam' and 'unacceptable to the
majority of the Muslims'. The Islamic
Constitution Movement and Islamic Oikya Andolan
have also joined in the Jamiatul demand for
cancellation of the competition.
    Mohiuddin of the little-known Jamiatul Ulama
claimed many 'compatriot groups' volunteered to
join the protest, without disclosing what his
group planned to do to 'thwart' the competition.
    He merely said, "We will sit with like-minded
organisations tonight and map out a plan of
action."
    The threat from the mullahs has had little
effect on the morale of the competitors. They
said it was a privilege for them to participate
in the competition, first of its kind in
Bangladesh.
    "We have come here not to do any indecorous or
indecent act," said Shefali, a competitor from
Khulna. "The organisers have instructed us to
maintain decency during the competition."
    Shefali brushed aside the threat from the
Islamic groups. "I don't believe they have the
power to foil the competition and I am not
worried about that. My only concern is to beat my
opponent in the competition."
    Dalia of Bangladesh Ansars was critical of the
Islamic groups for their irrational and
obscurantist responses to such a 'simple and
decent' sporting event.
    "They never recognise our right to live and
must understand that we have to do something to
survive. They will not feed me if I don't work.
At the moment wrestling is my work as I am
getting money from my team."
    "Women are used to fighting against such
unjustified and unethical aberrations," Farida
Akhtar, executive director of UBINIG, told New
Age.
    "I do not know of any barrier that Islam
imposes on women's right to self-defence. Every
man or woman has the right to participate in any
sport."
    The women's affairs secretary of the main
opposition Awami League, Ivy Rahman, said, "Sport
is sport; I do not understand why they should
drag religion into sport."
    Women and Children Affairs Minister Khurshid
Zahan Haque said since the competition was
exclusively for women, there should not be any
religious or other problems.
    "Women have progressed in every sphere life,"
said Khurshid Zahan, also convenor of the
Jatiyatabadi Mahila Dal, women's front of the
ruling BNP. "Why should they lag behind in
sports?"
    Tasmima Hossain, editor of the weekly Ananya,
said the Islamic groups should launch movement
against indecency in movies, posters and
advertisements rather than demonstrating against
the wrestling competition.

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 1:21 AM
Subject: [IndiaPakistanPeaceDay] Wagah-Attari
Memorial Petition & India Pakistan Peace Day
websites

Association for Communal Harmony in Asia (ACHA)
4410 Verda Lane NE, Keizer, OR 97303, USA
<http://www.asiapeace.org>www.asiapeace.org
503.393.6944
Executive Director: Pritam K. Rohila, Ph.D.,
<mailto:pritamr at open.org>pritamr at open.org

Friends:

Thanks to Dr. Ingrid Shafer, ACHA's Director of
Communication Systems, our Wagah-Attari Memorial
Petition is now ready for online signatures at
the following site.
<http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/India_Pakistan_Peace_Memorial>http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/India_Pakistan_Peace_Memorial

You have the first opportunity to sign, before we release it to the public.

The site also has links to our new website
<http://www.indiapakistanpeace.org/>http://www.indiapakistanpeace.org
which is dedicated to India Pakistan Peace Day
campaign.

Besides it has a link to ACHA website
<http://www.asiapeace.org>www.asiapeace.org

Best wishes,

Pritam

The Daily Times [Pakistan]
July 4, 2004
Op-Ed.

Turkey's headscarf decision vindicated

by Ishtiaq Ahmed

The European Human Rights Court at Strasbourg has
given a ruling that state-run Turkish schools
that ban Muslim headscarves do not violate the
freedom of religion. It also found that it was a
legitimate way to counter Islamic fundamentalism.
The decision came on an appeal by a Turkish
student who was barred from attending Istanbul
University's medical school because her headscarf
violated the official dress code.
In their unanimous judgment, the seven judges
said headscarf bans were appropriate when issued
to protect the secular nature of the state,
especially against extremist demands. It stated:
"The court has not overlooked the fact that there
are extremist political movements in Turkey that
are trying to impose on the entire society their
religious symbols and their idea of a society
based on religious rules. ... The principle of
secularism was surely one of the founding
principles of the Turkish state... Safeguarding
this principle can be considered necessary for
the protection of the democratic system in
Turkey." It said further that the bans issued in
the name of the separation of church and state
could be considered "necessary in a democratic
society... Measures taken in universities to
prevent certain fundamentalist religious
movements from pressuring students who do not
practise the religion in question or those
belonging to another religion can be justified."
In a superficial sense, the ban on headscarves is
a violation of the human rights of the
individual, but the question before us is: To
what extent do Muslim women make independent
decisions to choose their mode of dress? There is
abundant evidence from the contemporary Muslim
world that women are the most oppressed members
of Muslim societies. In Pakistan, the wearing of
the burqa (a head-to-foot topcoat) started
becoming unpopular with the spread of education
as many women entered the public sphere as
teachers, doctors, nurses, and miscellaneous
state employees. However, during General
Zia-ul-Haq's rule (1977-88) the direction of
social change was reversed. He ordered women
newscasters and state employees to wear the
chaddar (a variant of the headscarf). The most
reactionary clerics were brought on the
television to preach the expulsion of women from
the public sphere.
In Saudi Arabia women got an opportunity to drive
cars while the first Iraq war was on. Soon
afterwards, the women were rounded up and made to
pay heavy fines. The Taliban regime literally
turned women into a private commodity whose
proper place was behind the four walls of the
house. I prefer to call it the 'harem culture'.
The Ottomans who are foolishly admired by the
fundamentalists of today were notorious for
keeping the choicest women from their subject
peoples in the harem and indeed the Thousand and
One Nights tell us that the preceding Abbasid
caliphs were no lesser patrons of harem
escapades. Keeping this background in mind,
wearing headscarves no longer remains an
innocuous act of freedom of belief but a
perpetuation of the patriarchal
cultural-structural system that historically
evolved in Muslim societies. Just as Western
extremism is typified by racism in different
garbs, Muslim extremism consistently oppresses
women in different forms.
Therefore, the political context in which the ban
on headscarves has been upheld needs to be kept
in mind. Insofar as Western Europe is concerned,
headscarves were worn and tolerated for quite a
long time. Then, from the 1980s onwards,
fundamentalist influence began to percolate into
the Muslim immigrant communities. Most typically
the fundamentalists focused their attention on
the alleged deviation of Muslim women from
Islamic morals and behaviour codes. Parents were
intimidated at the local mosque to stop their
daughters from going to school dressed up in
Western clothes.
The decisions of the European Court of Human
Rights take precedence over national court
rulings and will have implications for similar
cases elsewhere in Europe. The French government
already has on its hands a big problem with
headscarves. It imposed a ban on headscarves in
state high schools against which many cases are
expected to be filed before the courts. In the
United Kingdom a Luton schoolgirl, Sabina Begum,
recently lost her High Court battle to wear an
Islamic dress to school. Since September 2002
Sabina has refused to attend school in a dispute
over her wish to wear an ankle-length jilbab gown.
Recently, two Somali girls came to a college
(called Gymnasium) completely covered from head
to foot. The teachers objected because it was
impossible for them to know who was behind that
strange dress. The Swedish government has chosen
a middle path. It has been decided that if the
headmaster of a school feels that a form of dress
is obstructing normal educational activities and
procedures he can ban it. In Germany, Muslim
teachers have appealed against laws in several
federal states which bar Muslim women covering
their heads. In all such cases, hopefully, the
respective members of the Council of Europe will
establish clear policy barring headscarves.
Just as a West-centred globalisation is being
studied fervently, we need to study and analyse
the phenomenon of alternative globalisation.
Unless this is done seriously we can be sure that
racial and religious conflicts will explode with
great venom all over the world. The situation for
Muslims has already deteriorated after 9/11 and
things can become much worse if the dangers of a
fundamentalist upsurge are not properly grasped.
There is no need to feel sorry for Muslims or to
hold them in contempt. They are battling with the
multifarious challenges of modernity, and we know
that no society ever reaches a state of final
bliss. Those struggling for democratic, humane
and rationalist values in the Muslim world
deserve solidarity. The champions of headscarves
certainly do not belong to that category.
The author is an associate professor of Political
Science at Stockholm University. He is the author
of two books. His email address is
Ishtiaq.Ahmed at statsvet.su.se

The New York Times
July 4, 2004

India and Pakistan: Good Fences Make Good Neighbors
By AMY WALDMAN

UROOSA, Jammu and Kashmir - From his front porch
in this village at the edge of Indian-held
Kashmir, Muhammad Sharif looks out, as he always
has, on the steep and lovely hills of
Pakistan-held Kashmir.

He sees, like a reflection, the faint outline of
Rehmand, the village opposite, where he presumes
people speak the same language, practice the same
religion, eat the same foods, although, never
having met them, he cannot say for sure.

But these days, Mr. Sharif, a 50-year-old farmer
and father of six, sees something else as well.
Up the hillside on the Indian side of the 1972
cease-fire line - a 460-mile narrow swath of
territory known as the Line of Control, which
divides the two Kashmirs - there snakes a new
manifestation of that division. It is a fence,
meant to keep at bay infiltrators from Pakistan
who are seeking to separate India's portion of
Kashmir from India.

India has been building the fence for about a
year, and it is largely completed. It follows the
construction of a less politically delicate fence
along the India-Pakistan border. It has the
symbolic potential, in some eyes, to make the
cease-fire line more like an international
border, as India desires.

The cease-fire line took its present format the
end of the last of three wars between India and
Pakistan. The conflict dates to the partitioning
of India and Pakistan in 1947 into predominantly
Hindu and Muslim states. At the time, Kashmir's
maharaja, a Hindu, joined the fortunes of his
Muslim-majority state to India. Pakistan invaded
in 1947 and took part of Kashmir and has
contended ever since that all of Kashmir has a
right to self-determination.

After Pakistan failed to take all of Kashmir in
war, it began backing an insurgency in 1989 that
at first relied mostly on indigenous Kashmiri
militants, then on Pakistanis, Afghans and others
crossing the cease-fire line to take up the
fight. Kashmiris from the Indian side crossed the
other way, for training, then returned.

The line runs along beautiful but rugged
territory over three mountain ranges that rise to
17,000 feet with deep gorges in between. Passes
through the peaks and folds of the mountains have
enabled thousands of hardy militants to cross
back and forth across the line. Now, crossing -
in or out - is that much harder.

The fence is similar to the barrier being built
by the Israelis to control the infiltration of
militant Palestinians. But the Indian fence has
received far less international scrutiny than the
Israeli barrier and surprisingly muted opposition
from the Pakistanis. Last November, a cease-fire
was negotiated between the Indian and Pakistani
armies, which regularly shelled each other and
civilians living in between. That cease-fire has
greatly expedited the fence's construction, and
Pakistani officials say that Pakistan's
president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, knew that it
would when he agreed to the cease-fire.

In January, Pakistan agreed not to allow its soil
to be used for terrorist attacks against India.
One theory for Pakistan's low-key response is
that the fence will make it easier for the
country to better control militant groups.

Constructed on almost vertical mountainsides -
here at an 80 degree angle - the fence is an
engineering feat. Until the cease-fire, much of
the construction was done at night to avoid the
shelling.

The fence, which breaks only in deference to
unconquerable terrain, stands about 12 feet high
and is about 12 feet wide. Coils of concertina
wire are layered between rows of pickets.
Sharp-edged metal tape and, in places,
electrification make crossing even harder. So do
the soldiers standing guard.

"No obstacle in history, whether the China wall
or the Maginot line in France, can prevent
movement unless there is surveillance," said the
governor of the Indian state of Jammu and
Kashmir, S. K. Sinha, a former army vice chief of
staff.

The fence is part of a larger effort by India to
buttress its defenses and uses equipment acquired
from Israel, France and the United States,
including motion sensors, thermal imaging devices
and night-vision equipment. It also has allowed
the parceling of the cease-fire zone into a grid
system so that officers can be held accountable
for movement in designated areas.

In places, the fence has created divisions within
a division. Some farmers have been separated from
their grazing lands, and a few houses and hamlets
that have been in Indian-held Kashmir since 1947
are now outside it because the fence could not be
built around them without crossing into Pakistani
territory.

There are gates for cattle and people, with
proper identification, to cross back into India.

Senior Indian military officials say that they
already see what they called a new
"tentativeness" among militants, and that the
fence has allowed the army to foil at least four
crossing attempts. Militants in Pakistan say that
the fence has made crossing the cease-fire line
riskier but assert that they have enough men and
ammunition already inside Kashmir to sustain the
insurgency for years.

Indian officials agree with that assertion,
saying that despite a major decline in
infiltrations by insurgents compared with last
year, there has not been a corresponding drop in
violence. [On Saturday, four people died and 52
were wounded in bomb attacks in two Kashmiri
cities. Indian officials also said they had
killed five Pakistani militants trying to cross
the Line of Control in a new operation to curb
infiltration.]

Some question the fence's long-term effectiveness
in deterring motivated militants. "People who
want to come and are determined to come, they
will come," said Umar Farooq, a political leader
in Indian-help Kashmir who opposes Indian rule.
"They have routes and maps, and they will use
them."

"It's a waste of money,'' he said, adding that it
was better to pursue a political settlement.

With the fence, he said, the Indians are "trying
to sort of legitimize their claim day by day" to
Kashmir.

To come close to the cease-fire line - something
that is possible only with an Indian Army escort
- is to understand the judolike dynamics of the
conflict between these nuclear-armed neighbors.
The hill in the foreground is Indian-held, and
the one in the background is under Pakistani
control. The depression between them is the
cease-fire line.

This is some of the most tenaciously contested
territory in the world, as proved by the
pockmarks made by artillery shells in this
village and the Pakistani bunkers visible on
hilltops. Mr. Sharif and his sons described
school days lost to shelling, farm days lost,
peace of mind lost, until last November's
cease-fire.

Mr. Sharif, who readily concedes that his village
is economically dependent on the Indian Army,
favors the fence. But he also supports a plan to
start a bus service on the road that runs below
the village and between Srinagar, the summer
capital of Indian-held Kashmir, and Muzaffarabad,
the capital of Pakistan-held Kashmir. The bus
service is meant to be a confidence-building
measure that would also allow divided families to
reconnect. But the construction of the fence has
proceeded far more rapidly than the reopening of
the road. No agreement has been reached on the
thorny issue of which travel documents will be
required for crossing. India favors passports,
something the Pakistanis and those in Indian-held
Kashmir who are opposed to Indian rule are
resisting because it would convey the status of a
border.

"If we agree to use a passport then we have
accepted the division of Kashmir," said Maulvi
Abbas Ansari, a separatist leader in Srinagar.

After meetings earlier this week between the
foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan,
officials said the bus service was still on
track, but meetings to resolve outstanding issues
have not been scheduled.

Either way, the road is impassable. Some work is
being done on the portion that leads to
Wheatbridge, the military post just below this
village. But the final two or three miles of the
road to Pakistan's territory are so damaged by
avalanches and shelling that vehicles cannot use
it.

Military officials estimate that repairs will
take six to eight months. The work has not begun.
Instead, the road becomes a dead end at a
barricade that is reinforced by sharp razor wire,
just like the fence that scales the hill above.

Arif Jamal contributed reporting from Pakistan for this article.

Citizens Against War and Occupation

Friends,

As you know the situation in Iraq, which today is
the crucible of world politics, is dire. The US
and its allies are carrying out the most brutal
forms of repression including massive aerial
bombing of ordinary Iraqis because the resistance
to occupation is growing and spreading. The Iraqi
people today need the widest possible solidarity
from progressive people throughout the world.
Indeed, such are the stakes that the US is
playing for, that it knows a defeat in Iraq and a
military-political withdrawal from the country
will signal a decisive defeat of its
empire-building project in the region. The heroic
struggle of the Palestinian people will then
receive a tremendous boost just as Israel and a
host of US-dependent Arab regimes will be shaken
to their roots. All the more reason, therefore,
why the US's imperial designs must be opposed and
thwarted.

Furthermore, the Indian government and its
dominant elites are being called upon by
Washington to lend their practical and
moral-political support to the US efforts to
maintain control over Iraq. Even after the
installation of the United Progressive Alliance
(UPA) government in New Delhi there will be
pressure on it to recognise the puppet "interim
regime" that will be formed in Iraq after June
30th and to which sovereignty is supposedly being
handed over. The US and UK are aiming to secure a
UN endorsement of this farce which, if
successful, will in turn make it easier for the
Indian and other governments to follow suit.
These efforts at disguising the reality of
American domination and ambitions must also be
opposed. Indeed, it should be clear that the US
military-political presence in South Asia (which
is growing steadily) will itself create obstacles
to promoting genuine peace between India and
Pakistan as the US seeks to manipulate the elites
and governments of both countries. It has already
been doing this with some considerable success.

The need for a national level 'Anti-War Assembly'
to bring about a massive show of resistance to US
designs in Iraq and West Asia and also in South
Asia has never been greater. Anti-War Assemblies
have already been set up in other countries and
regions and have been a vital part of the
collective effort at globalising resistance to US
imperial behaviour in Iraq and elsewhere. Under
the umbrella of the Citizens Against War and
Occupation, representatives of over 30
organisations met in New Delhi on June 5 and 6 in
the first National Consultation meeting with the
aim of setting up later this year a major public
event - the Anti-War Assembly. This would be a
crucial part of the broader process of
institutionalizing, invigorating and
strengthening the Indian wing of what is now a
globally developing and expanding Anti-War and
Anti-Imperialist platform and movement. It is
only through such global forms of resistance that
our enemies, themselves operating on the global
level, can be defeated. This was the lesson of
the great international Anti-Vietnam War Movement
of the past. The same lesson holds true today!

------------

This first National Consultation meeting agreed
to the following parameters for the forthcoming
Anti War Assembly.
1. As befitting the process of developing a
worldwide solidarity campaign aimed at weakening
the imperial onslaught it was agreed that the
principal focus of the Anti War Assembly would be
fighting US-led imperialism at its weakest point
which is also the point at which the most unified
international public pressure is operating and
can be most effectively strengthened - namely
opposing the illegal occupation of Iraq in favour
of its full independence and defeating the
imperial machinations in West Asia in which the
Israel-Palestine issue occupies the central
place, i.e. ending the illegal Israeli occupation
of Palestine and supporting a settlement
fulfilling the just aspirations of the
Palestinian people. In addition, as befitting the
consolidation of a national and regional (South
Asia) Anti-War and Anti Imperialist movement the
proposed Anti-War Assembly would necessarily
highlight the importance of moving towards the
establishment of an enduring and just peace
between India and Pakistan with steady
demilitarization, and to do so independent of the
manipulative diplomacy of the US and in the
context of opposing its military presence and
imperial policies in the region.
2. It was further agreed that the format of the
proposed Anti War Assembly would reflect this
thrust and thus incorporate a mixture of
plenaries, workshops/seminars, cultural
events/activities, displays, demonstrations, etc.
which in one way or the other reflected the
various significant dimensions of these agreed
themes while also preserving the priority
attached to building a practically oriented,
coordinated and focused international and
national peace movement.
3. The Anti War Assembly should be a major public
event involving mass participation in the
thousands and its establishment be mandated and
promoted by the widest possible range of mass
organisations, movements, activist groups,
individuals, etc., united by their common basic
agreement with the principal democratic political
positions enunciated at the first National
Consultation meeting (June 5/6, 2004) - namely
opposition to imperialist occupation of Iraq,
justice for the Palestinians, the struggle to
promote genuine peace between India and Pakistan
in the context of a South Asia free of imperial
control and influence.
4. That concerned citizens and representatives of
all those bodies agreeing with the above laid
parameters be invited to participate in the
second National Consultation meeting which will
be a Strategy Meeting over the two days of July
24 and 25 in New Delhi from 10.00 am to 5.30 pm
on both days. It will be held (unless otherwise
informed) in V.P. Bhavan (Constitution Club),
Rafi Marg, New Delhi 110001. This meeting will be
overwhelmingly concerned with carrying out the
necessary processes of public mobilisation and
with fulfilling the
organizational/infrastructural requirements to
make the Anti-War Assembly a success. This
meeting will therefore a) finalise the exact
dates, city and venue of the proposed Anti-War
Assembly; b) the number of days of the event; c)
the setting up of procedures for sanctioning and
structuring plenaries, workshops, cultural
activities, etc.; d) setting up the committees
and structures to ensure proper hosting and
administration of this major event; e)
publicizing and mobilizing activities; f) raising
necessary finances; f) other relevant matters.

Please circulate this invitation as widely as
possible. Let us come together to forge a
powerful and long lasting platform against
imperial behaviour, against war, for peace and
justice.

CITIZENS AGAINST WAR AND OCCUPATION
[June7, 2004, New Delhi]

N.B. For further information contact Qamar Agha,
A-124/6 Katwaria Sarai, New Delhi 110016; Email:
cndp_india at rediffmail.com Phone:  91-11-
26968121, 26858940. Mobile: 09810150736.

List of endorsing organisations

All India Democratic Women's Association, All
India Kisan Sabha, All India Youth Federation,
Lok Raj Sangathan, Development Research & Action,
Indian Social Institute, Focus on the Global
South, All India Peace & Solidarity Organisation,
Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament & Peace, Indian
Social Action Forum, Third World Studies Centre,
All India Trade Union Congress, National
Federation of Indian Women, Delhi Science Forun,
Nirantar, Henrich Boll Foundation, Popular
Education & Action Centre, People's Union for
Civil Liberties, SAMA (Resource Centre for Women
& Health), COVA, VISION, SEEDS, All India
Federation for Trade Union, SEWA, Muslim Youth of
India, Yuva Bharat, Students Federation of India,
Democratic Youth Federation Of India, Centre of
Indian Trade Union.

Anti War Assembly
II Preparatory Meeing