SACW #2 | 8 March Special [Pak. / Bangladesh / India]

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Mar 7 22:35:47 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire  #2  |  5-8 March,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan: Winds of change (Hilda Saeed)
[2] Bangladesh: Our demand today: Freedom from fear (Sultana Kamal)
[3] Bangladesh: Is the Law Fair towards Women? (Aasha Mehreen Amin)
[4] India: The Other Half - Time to reflect and celebrate (Kalpana Sharma)

--------------

[1]

Dawn (Pakistan)
March 4, 2004

Winds of change
By Hilda Saeed

This year, in view of the growing incidence of
Violence Against Women, the HRCP, WAF and several
NGOs and activist groups will commemorate
International Women's Day on March 8 with a
discussion on this urgent and tragic issue.In
response to the struggle of rights-oriented
bodies, a Permanent National Commission on the
Status of Women was established in 2000. To
analyze the various viewpoints pertaining to
Hudood and related laws, and to get an update of
the situation first hand, Hilda Saeed discussed
the issue with Justice Majida Rizvi, chair of the
NCSW.
Q: What was the mandate of the previous women's
commissions and what happened to the
recommendations put forward by them?
A: There have been several women's commissions in
the past; each was given certain terms of
reference, and they did valuable work. The last
one was the Commission of Inquiry on the Status
of Women, in 1997, headed by Justice Nasir Aslam
Zahid. But in each case, the commissions were
wound up on completion of their tasks.
The present commission is a permanent one; thus
it is a statutory body. Its profile comprises two
members per province, and one each from FATA,
FANA and Islamabad capital territory. In
addition, there are scholars and three ex-officio
members from the ministries of the interior,
finance, and law and justice. The ministry of
women's development has been mandated to provide
the commission a secretariat, and the additional
secretary, ministry of women's development is
designated as secretary of the commission.
Each member's appointment is for three years.
They are all committed to the cause of women.
Some members come well prepared for meetings,
others tend to take matters lightly. Initially we
formed committees on various issues, but it was
not really working. But now we have temporary
groupings which are issue-based, and which change
from time to time, a system which is working much
better. Our objective is to work for provision of
justice for women.
Q: With all this in place, and with members
giving their inputs, what are the legal reasons
for women's continued subservient status, and for
the discrimination and violence against them?
A: It has partly been due to the frequent changes
in government, and corresponding changes in
policies. Every government has made promises, but
the will to achieve positive change is not there.
Benazir Bhutto, although she lacked a majority,
at least brought about some changes such as the
establishment of women's police stations, but
Nawaz Sharif had no will to help women, despite
the fact that he had majority backing. Women's
seats were not even restored. When there's no
will, then there are so many excuses.
We continue to strive for positive change, and
hope the government will take some steps forward
to facilitate this. There now appears to be
national and international commitment to women's
progress.
Q: What is your view on the debate suggested by
General Musharraf on the Hudood Ordinances?
A: The Hudood Ordinances have already been
heavily debated- what more remains [to be
debated]? The Commission of Inquiry on the Status
of Women 1997 had also recommended repeal of
Hudood. We ourselves have had a lot of
deliberation on the subject. Dr Sher Zaman and
Farida Ahmed, both Islamic scholars, have
admitted defects in the ordinance. They want
amendments.
The majority of sections included in the Hudood
Ordinances are from the Pakistan Penal Code
(PPC). In all four laws, the sections total
20.When we have PPC, why keep Hudood? If changes
are required, they can be made in the PPC itself.
The Hudood Ordinances comprise a total of five:
The Offence of Zina (Enforcement of Hudood)
Ordinace,1979; The Offences Against Property
(Enforcement of Hudood) Ordinance, 1979; The
Prohibition Enforcement of Hadd Order IV 1979;
The Offence of Qazf (Enforcement of Hudood)
Ordinance1979; and The Execution of the
Punishment of Whipping Ordinance ,1979.
In each of the four penal laws, with the
exception of a couple of provisions about Hadd
punishment, the rest of the provisions in the
form of 'tazir' are practically the same as those
which existed in the Pakistan Penal Code.
A law is introduced for the well-being of society
- if 50 per cent of the population suffers
because of it, if they have been inflicted so
much pain and trauma that their total lives are
destroyed, who is responsible? When a woman
suffers, so do her family and children; when she
comes out honourably after say, 10 years, who is
going to compensate her for those lost years, and
those lost lives of her children? Will society
accept her? Can she hold the government
responsible? The maulvis, society?
No one is against Islam, but this badnaamiis what
we want to correct. Why call it westernization?
At present, around 72-80 per cent of the women in
jails are there under zina'(adultery).
Q: The present commission is recognized as a
recommendatory body, not as a decision-making
one. In your view, how has this affected
decisions for gender equality and women's
empowerment?
A: The recommendatory functions include being a
watch body to review government decisions and
their impact on women. We review all laws,
discriminatory or otherwise, and then recommend
repeal, amendment or new legislation.
We conduct research on women's issues, and have
regular interaction with members of civil society
and with similar international commissions, plus
any other assignment which the government gives.
We are not satisfied with the recommendatory
position of this commission. If we are the watch
body, and are only required to give
recommendations, then we cannot really implement
decisions. The outcome of our deliberations will
be put forward to the president, the
Majlis-i-Shoora, and the parliament, as has been
done in the past in several cases.
For instance, the Citizenship Act is patriarchal;
it talks only of the 'father', 'he', no spouses
or parents. If a woman marries a foreigner, she
cannot apply for citizenship - only her kids are
eligible for that - it's very discriminatory.
It's very necessary to remedy this as there are
court cases pending because of it.
Our effectivity [for a specific recommendation]
ceases once the report is submitted, therefore
advocacy and lobbying are very important to us.
We try to raise awareness on all issues
pertaining to women. Our reports are regularly
made public.
All reports indicate that the Hudood Ordinances
are discriminatory. Sometimes we take up
individual cases, such as Zafran Bibi's case or
Rukhsana Bunyad's, who was jailed for blasphemy.
Often, the police does not file an FIR or
investigate such cases.
As a part of advocacy and lobbying, I have
started giving lectures to groups of officers at
NIPA, to sensitize them (especially men). Only by
having them with us will change be achieved.
We aim to achieve the maximum despite a lot of
frustration. For instance, we received only one
computer from the Ministry of Women's Development
- and even this was taken away when we
subsequently got a computer as donation. The same
is the situation for the commission's office car.
We have minimal staff strength.
The Islamic Ideology Council (IIC) doesn't give
straightforward answers - why wasn't Hudood
looked at on a primary basis? Why weren't
recommendations of the IIC made public? How many
of the laws has the IIC reviewed? Nothing has
been made public.
For the bureaucracy, it is as if women's issues
are not issues. It's frustrating. Bureaucrats
have no commitment to women; the same people are
around even when the government changes. Even in
something like employment quotas for women, in
1989 a five per cent quota was allocated for
women - but here too we found inadequate use of
the quota, as if there is a planned way of
ousting women. Nor does it look as if this matter
of Hudood will be seriously taken up.
Q: There was a report that an international
conference on Islamic laws was being planned.
What happened to that plan?
A: We did start the process for such a
conference: "Islamic Laws and Building
Consensus". Ten very significant Islamic scholars
agreed to come, but we did not get clearance from
the Ministry of Women's Development and we were
asked to stall it. We wanted consensus to be
achieved on laws pertaining to women, the money
was granted, but it could not be used even now it
is lying unused.
Q: What are the legal hurdles in repealing the
Hudood laws? What is the political background to
these hurdles?
A: In my view, there is no legal hurdle,the
hurdle isone of will. Women's evidence is not
included in Hudood - this in itself is entirely
un-Islamic. No non-Muslim can give evidence
unless the accused is also non-Muslim. In Hudood
cases, the presiding officer cannot be
non-Muslim, nor can there be a non-Muslim lawyer.
In general, criminal law is public law but here
Islamic law has been made part of criminal law.
It is violative of minorities and their rights as
citizens. Adultery (zina) and rape (zina bil
jabr) are considered the same; victims are
punished repeatedly under Hudood. Yet only
adultery is mentioned in the Holy Quran.
Another aspect is the girl's age of attaining
majority. Under Hudood, this means upon reaching
puberty, which may be as young as eight or nine
years, when a girl's mental and physical capacity
is insufficiently developed to deal with the
stress of married life. Where then is the Child
Marriage Restraint Act, 1929, according to which
marriage of girls is not permissible before the
age of 16 years?
Witnesses are supposed to be those who have never
lied or committed major sins -those who satisfy
the criteria of Taskiyah-ul-Shahood (mode of
inquiry adopted by a court to satisfy itself as
to the credibility of a witness). How many
witnesses meet these strict standards?
Above all, we need the political will and determination to achieve change.

The Daily Star (Bangladesh)
March 8, 2004

Our demand today: Freedom from fear

Sultana Kamal

The documentation unit of Ain o Salish Kendra
(ASK), more familiarly known as ASK in the year
2003 recorded 249 incidents of acid throwing, 374
incidents where women were tortured for dowry, 46
cases of fatwa in which women were subjected to
insulting and torturous treatment, and, last but
not the least, 1391 incidents of rape. Even
though there is some overlap between the victims
of acid throwing and the victims of dowry related
violence in the above description, it omits
deaths by grievous hurt, suicide, pre-mediated
murder or crimes like trafficking and abduction.
It may be noted that these statistics are based
on the news reported in the national dailies and
no one has doubts that there are many more cases
that have not been reported. We perhaps have no
disagreement in saying that the scale and forms
violence against women has taken in the recent
years are unprecedented. It has crossed all
borders. Women are now targets of violence
irrespective of their age, the time of the day
and whether they are alone or in company, whether
they are at home or in the street. However, the
above accounts are enough to make one feel
ashamed or at least embarrassed as the member of
a society which allows such blatant violation of
rights and such violence against a particular
section of that society.

In December last year I went to visit the people
in Mahalchhori of the Chittagong Hill Tracts
whose houses in August have been burnt to ashes
in a spree of arson. Where men and women have
been beaten, tortured and women raped. There I
was told by a woman that as soon as she heard
that a group of Bengalis had attacked their
village, without thinking of anything else she
just jumped into the river in fear. She kept on
swimming until she became very tired and felt as
if she would drown to death. At that point, she
remembered that she had left behind her daughter
who may have been caught by the enemies. She swam
back to her daughter in that extremely exhausted
state only to find that her daughter was being
beaten by a group of people. Some reported her to
have been actually raped but the mother denied
that in an interview with us. Just think what
made the woman jump into the river before
anything was done to her. It is the constant fear
a woman has to live with.

In November, in a polder area of the remote part
of South Bengal, a Hindu widow, who could be
easily identified to belong to the poorest of the
poor, asked me if Hindu women could continue to
live in Bangladesh in the face of daily
harassment or the threat of harassment they live
under. In some of the southern districts, we have
reports of several incidents where Hindu houses
have been invaded by groups of young men of the
Muslim community with the demand for food and
entertainment by women of the family in whatever
probable form. There are incidents where young
men come and demand money for their picnic and if
refused, the substitute has to be the young girl
of the family to join them for purposes not
difficult to imagine.

A Muslim activist woman in one of the remotest
villages said in her speech in a meeting that for
"liberation" she had always dreamt of a situation
where she will be free to speak and move, to work
and to enjoy a peaceful life. She said she had
known the British period and the Pakistani rule
and wasn't surprised that people were exploited
then. But now in the independent Bangladesh she
feels really persecuted each day with either
actual or threat of violence. We all are very
well aware of what happened to Simi Banu, to
Fahima and Mahima, the child Trisha and Rumi. Not
all of them were killed or raped but all of them
have been subject to various forms of violence
just because they belonged to a certain sex and
the consequences they met with were mainly
induced by fear in their minds.

Until very recently, violence against women only
meant the very gross, identifiable physical
assault on women, like rape, maiming, serious
injuries by sharp objects, acid throwing or
murder. That too remains subject to minute
scrutiny and proof beyond reasonable doubt to
result in conviction. Simple injury,
unidentifiable assaults, regular battering
without marks, sexual harassment other than rape,
verbal abuse or psychological torture were not
recognised as criminal offence or violence
against women offering legal remedy. Neither
torture nor assault within the four walls of home
or by a close family member, particularly
husband, considered to be family or private
matters, was to be interfered by the state. Till
today, marital rape has no legal cognisance. The
women activists had to continue long and arduous
campaigns to convince the society, the law makers
and the state that violence against women has
many faces and many forms and that it does not
only manifest itself in rape and murder.

It is only since the 80s that some of the above
mentioned incidents have been recognised in law
to constitute violence against women. Even then
simple wife battering has no recognition in law
as yet. That is why we hear of so many false
dowry cases. The reason being, women can seek no
legal remedy if she is battered for no other
cause than dowry unless the battering leaves
injuries to be classified as grievous hurt.
Whatever has happened to Simi Banu inducing her
to commit suicide cannot be litigated under the
violence against women Act. According to the
latest news all the perpetrators of violence
against Simi Banu are out of jail on bail now,
and they are threatening her sister of the same
consequence if they don't stop action against
them. Rumi's family had to leave Khulna to a
safer place in one of the villages to avoid
threats from the accused of harassing Rumi. But
in countries like Australia, USA or UK, the law
bars entry of the perpetrators in the areas where
the victim normally lives or has to go on
business like education, shopping or visits. Here
in our country the laws either by definition or
by default not only bar mobility of the victim or
the victim's family but also make their life
insecure for ever once the woman has been chosen
by the perpetrators to be their victim. Our laws
or the lawmakers do not take into consideration
that to provide effective assistance to the
victims of violence against women they need to
create a certain environment and there have to be
workable, easily implementable legal measures and
to make strict application of those measures an
absolute condition.

But unfortunately the usual tendency is to
enhance the punitive measures rather than seeing
that implementation procedures are made women
friendly. Once the punishment is made too high or
as severe as death penalty, judges become
reluctant to go for conviction. To convict an
accused to death the judge needs to be absolutely
sure that the accused has actually committed the
crime that for well-known obvious reasons is
often not possible. The result therefore rests on
very low percentage of conviction compared to the
numbers of complaints received. This in turn
results in frustration in the minds of the
victims and the legal aid providers, finally
creating a general sense of distrust in the
system of justice. This, to my opinion is the
worst adverse effect we may have from not having
a well-thought definition of violence against
women eventually leading to wrong remedial
measures and frustrating results.

To bring fundamental change to the situation we
must be able to create a condition where women
will have full confidence in the society's sense
of justice towards them by recognising the more
basic elements of violence against them, by
making more sensible laws and by actually
punishing the perpetrators for the prevention of
those crimes and by establishing a society where
women will have not to fear violence at every
minute of their life. Awareness to violence
against women will have to be joined by respect
for their safe and respectful life as well as
their freedom from fear. One will have to know
that women are not violated only by rape and
murder. It may very well be done by hurting their
sense of respect as well as by diminishing their
confidence; by not only killing them physically
but by killing their will to live and love for
life. Only by doing so can we think of
appropriate systems of assistance to them.

Sultana Kamal is Executive Director, Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), Dhaka.

_______

[3]

Star Weekend Magazine / The Daily Star (Bangladesh)
March 5 , 2004

Is the Law Fair towards Women?

AASHA MEHREEN AMIN

Taherunnessa Begum was only sixteen when she was
married off to small time trader Sattar Mia twice
her age. At the wedding Taherun's father, a poor
vegetable vendor, gave Sattar ten thousand Taka
as half payment of the twenty thousand Taka dowry
demand. Soon after the wedding, Taherun's father
became ill and the possibility of giving the
remaining portion became doubtful. Thus began
Taherun's nightmare. Sattar started to regularly
beat her, sometimes punching her unconscious and
leaving her with cuts and bruises all over her
body. Often he would force her to have sex with
him. Taherun conceived and gave birth to a son
but this did not stop the beatings. One day
Sattar came home and just drove Taherun out of
the house without her son. The deal was that if
she could cough up the rest of the money she
could come back and live with her son again. If
she couldn't she would get the customary 'tin
talak' (verbal divorce) and consequently lose her
son. Taherun was forced to go back to her parents
home and soon was given a divorce.

What if Taherun decides to take the help of the
law to get back her son? According to Muslim Law
which is the law that is relevant to her as she
is a Muslim, if she is successful in gaining
custody of her child it will be a temporary right
that will expire when the child reaches seven
years. Even this temporary right translates into
a mere 'custodianship' over her child since the
law dictates that the father is the legal
guardian of the child. Her husband, therefore,
can take all decisions on behalf of the child but
she cannot.

If this is not unfair enough, even if Taherun is
given a divorce and granted custody of her child,
she cannot remarry a person of her choice. If she
is to remarry as well as retain custody of the
child she must marry the child's uncle or
immediate blood relative. Otherwise, she stands
to lose her child.

So how can such injustice be legitimised by law?
The Bangladesh Constitution declares equal rights
for men and women in all spheres of public life.
So where lies the contradiction? The word
'public' seems to be a major clue to solving this
riddle. It is only in the spheres of state and
public life that equality is guaranteed through
the Constitution. This means that in the private
or personal sphere women are pretty much on their
own. So even if her husband for whatever reason
continuously tortures a woman, until she is
killed, the state is unlikely to intervene, as it
is too shall we say, gentlemanly to invade the
privacy of the individual. The result is that
women continue to be treated as inferior human
beings by their husbands and by a society that
tends to victimise victims instead of help them.

Trying to understand the dichotomy of public and
private spheres of our legal system is like
squirming around in quicksand-- the more you want
to get out the deeper you get stuck in the muck.
According to Faustina Pereira, a Supreme Court
Advocate and author of the book 'Fractured
Scales' that deals with this very issue, the
legal system of Bangladesh is categorised into
two distinct branches. One is Constitutional Law
and the other is General Law or those that are
not directly governed by the Constitution. The
Constitution being the supreme law of the land
demands that any law inconsistent with its
provisions is void. Thus laws considered under
the General Law must technically conform to the
Constitution. Sounds pretty reasonable so far.
But try getting a firm grip on what 'General Law'
consists of and it becomes clear why so many
women prefer to suffer in silence rather than
take legal help.

"The General Law consists of civil and criminal
laws," says Pereira who is also Director,
Advocacy, Research and Legal Aid at Ain O Shalish
Kendra, "which are governed respectively by the
Code of Civil Procedure of 1908, the Penal Code
of 1860 and the Criminal Procedure Code of 1898.
The Personal or Family Laws are under the General
Law but mostly are governed by the civil law:
What's more, matters which directly affect women
such as marriage, divorce, dower, maintenance,
guardianship, custody, inheritance and
restitution of conjugal rights are separately
governed by each religious community's "religious
personal law" system. For example, take marriage.
Muslim parties, says Pereira, are regulated by,
among others, the Muslim Family Ordinance 1961 or
the Muslim Marriages and Divorce (Registration)
Act 1974. Hindu parties are regulated by (among
others) the Hindu Marriages Disabilities Removal
Act 1946 or the Hindu Widow's Remarriage Act
1856. Christian parties to marriage meanwhile,
come under the Christian Marriage Act 1872.

The existence of separate laws for each community
means that the kind of justice meted out to a
woman is determined by the religious community
she belongs to. Most of these laws are antiquated
and originate from patriarchal mindsets and
therefore do little to change the status of women
as helpless, inferior citizens.

Even some of the articles in the Constitution are
patronising towards women. Article 28 (1) states:
The State shall not discriminate against any
citizens on the grounds of religion, race, cast,
sex or place of birth. But then Article 28 (4)
states: Nothing in this article shall prevent the
State from making special provisions in favour of
women and children or for the advancement of any
backward section of citizens. Lumping women with
'any backward section of the citizens', says
Pereira, indicates a "prejudicially protective,
paternalistic attitude". "The language of the
law, all law, till now, has been the language of
patriarchs," adds Pereira.

There are also constitutional laws that directly
discriminate against women. The Citizenship Act
of 1951, for example, states that only a man can
transmit nationality. A woman does not have the
right to transmit her nationality to her children
or husband. Strangely this prejudicial law has
existed for decades in other parts of South Asia
such as India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. In 1992
however, the Citizenship Act of India 1955, was
amended to allow both men and women equal right
to transmit their nationality to their children
and spouses. In Bangladesh the Citizenship Act,
says Pereira, relegates women to second class
citizenship.

Pereira gives a few examples of what she terms
ultra-protective laws. "The Factories Act 1934,
The Tea Plantation Labour ordinance 1962 and The
Shops and Establishments Act 1965, gravely
restrict women's right to movement or choice of
employment. These laws prohibit employment of
women and children between the hours of 8p.m. and
6a.m."

There have been some attempts in recent years by
governments to safeguard women's legal rights and
improve their social status. The Dowry
Prohibition Act of 1980 forbids anyone from
giving or receiving dowry although the practice
is still very prevalent in our country which
indicates the lack of enforcement. The Nari-O-
Shishu Nirjatan Daman Ain 2000 (Law on the
Suppression of Violence Against Women and
Children 2000), has for the first time expanded
the definition of rape considerably although it
does not acknowledge marital rape. Sexual assault
and sexual harassment have been made punishable
offences under this Act. "The overall character
of this new law is reflective of same level of
participatory effort," says Pereira. "The law on
children is one of the best examples of the
workings of a clear distinction between religion
as a private matter and the area of personal
welfare of citizens as subject to state
intervention. The laws on children and personal
disputes relating to children such as the
Guardians and Wards Act, the Majority Act and the
Child Marriage Restraint Act, are all applied
uniformly to all children and citizens of
Bangladesh, irrespective of gender or religion
despite these areas being clearly within
religious-personal sphere of citizen's lives,"
she continues.

But religious attitudes, explains Pereira, make
many such progressive laws ineffective. The
growing power of religious fundamentalist groups
has had great influence in thwarting the
evolution of laws that give equal rights to
women. Deep-seated cultural practices that form
the basis of patriarchy and male dominance often
take precedence in governing people's lives
rather than existing laws. Women being in
powerless positions have little access to
information about the laws and how they can get
help from the legal system.

Domestic abuse is a taboo subject and considered
by society and State as being in the 'private
sphere of the family'. The biggest flaw of "Nari
O Shishu Nirjatan Daman Ain 2000" is that it does
not acknowledge the concept of domestic violence,
says Pereira. Dowry related violence is governed
by the Nari O Shishu Nirjatan Daman Ain 2000 but
in order for it to be effective, says Pereira,
incentives have to be given to women and their
parents to resist the demands and to come forward
to bring the perpetrators to justice. "Men and
their families too have to be brought into the
scheme of dowry resistance programmes," says
Pereira.

The issue of sexual harassment, a crime that
continues to plague women and has often led to
them taking their own lives, is still treated
with apathy in the legal system. "It is
unfortunate," she says, "that the sliver of law
that was provided in the "Nari O Shishu Nirjatan
Daman Ain 2000", has been taken away in the
Amendment (2003) recently. Whereas in India there
are several levels of safeguards available for
women in the workforce, especially after the
landmark Vishaka judgement which provided a
detailed outline as to how to ensure such
protection, no such mechanism exists in
Bangladesh. The whole concept of harassment seems
to be resisted by lawmakers. Thus if a woman is
forced to commit suicide or suffer physical harm
due to provocation and harassment, only that
death or harm will be taken into cognizance not
the harassment which preceded it.

One solution Pereira offers in her book,
'Fractured Scales',to the incongruities of family
personal laws with the laws of the land, is a
coherent, uniform system of governance or a code
of law, something women's rights organisations
have been harping about for years. In 1996 the
Bangladesh Mohila Parishad and Ain O Shalish
Kendra jointly brought out an improved version of
the original draft of the Uniform Family Code of
1993 (by the former organisation). Since then the
draft has been improved upon further with the
help of other organisations. The Code encompasses
a wide range of rights for women. For instance,
under the code a husband and wife has equal
status and responsibility. Men and women would be
treated by an equal standard in the matters of
marriage, divorce, custody and guardianship of
children as well as inheritance. All marriages
must be registered under civil law. Child
marriage would be abolished. The minimum age for
marriage of both men and women would be 18 years.
Polygamy would be abolished. Both spouses would
equally participate in matters of finance. An
unemployed spouse (whether husband or wife) would
be entitled to the maintenance from the employed
spouse. Both parents would be the natural and
legal guardians of children.

The Code among other things also provides equal
inheritance rights, the right to adopt by both
men and women and maintenance of children from
each parent on the basis of his/her financial
capability.

A uniform system of individual justice concludes
Pereira in her book "Fractured Scales" depends on
the role of law to sustain tolerance and mutual
respect among citizens and between state and
citizen.

Pereira has great faith in the women's movement
in making the legal process more equitable. "
Since 1972, women's engagement with policy,
institutions and process has been consistent,
persistent and sincere. Substantive issues such
as women's direct election in Parliament and at
least a one third seats for women in Parliament
has been consistently demanded as part of the
women's agenda since 1972. The women's movement
can and will continue to invest its time, energy
and intellect to materialise women's legitimate
claims as a matter of national interest and not
just a "women's" issue."

The strongest instruments of change in society
are the laws that it is governed by. There are
existing laws in the country, which guarantee
many rights for women. But many of them are
archaic and need immediate reform or amendment.
Discriminatory laws need to be abolished and
replaced with more progressive ones. New laws
have to be formulated to reflect Bangladesh's
concurrence with international laws such as the
Universal Declaration of Rights and CEDAW. While
religion and culture have to be respected,
violations of basic human rights in the name of
religion or tradition must be categorically
condemned and shunned by the laws of the land.
Most importantly laws that govern both public and
personal spheres must be compatible to the
Constitutional laws and be equally applicable to
all citizens irrespective of sex, religion or the
community they belong to.

The Convention on Elimination of All forms of
Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) was adopted
on December 19, 1979 and came into force as a
treaty on September 3, 1981 following its
ratification by twenty countries. Ratification
obligates governments to pursue a policy of
eliminating discrimination against women and to
report on progress in that effort to the UN
Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination.
Article 1 of the Convention defines
discrimination as:

'Any distinction, exclusion or restriction made
on the basis of sex, which has the effect or
purpose of impairing or nullifying the
recognition, enjoyment or exercise by women,
irrespective of their marital status, on the
basis of equality of men and women, of human
rights and fundamental freedoms in the political,
economic, social, cultural, civil or any other
field.'

Under Article 2, states are required to
domestically enforce CEDAW, adopt appropriate
legislation and other measures to prohibit all
discrimination against women, modify or abolish
existing laws, regulations, customs and practices
which constitute such discrimination.

Other articles of the Convention deal with many
of the pressing issues that concern women such as
women's right to determine their own and their
children's nationality and removal of
discrimination in education, employment,
healthcare, social and economic benefits.

Part IV of CEDAW calls for equality before the
law and equality within marriage and family law.
Articles under this component for example
guarantees the same legal capacity as men to
contract, administer property, appear in courts
or before tribunals; freedom of movement the
right to choose where they will live; equal
rights and responsibilities of women with men in
marriage; the right to choose when they will have
children, to choose their family name or
occupation; and equal rights and responsibilities
regarding ownership, management and disposition
of property.

The good news is that more than half of the world
community has ratified CEDAW. The bad news is
that a large number of countries-- 168
states--have submitted reservations. Seventeen of
these countries have a majority Muslim population
and includes Bangladesh. Bangladesh continues to
maintain reservations Articles 2 and 13(a). In
September 2000, Bangladesh became the first
country to ratify the Optional Protocol to CEDAW
which ensures the implementation of the tools to
eradicate discrimination. Maintaining such
reservation to the very pledge to eradicate such
discrimination is therefore contradictory and
makes the sincerity of the state to remove gender
discrimination, questionable.
Source: The Fractured Scales by Faustina Pereira

Did You KnowŠ

-Under Muslim Law, women's capacity to stand as
witness at a marriage is one half than that of
men.
-Giving or Taking Dowry is punishable by law.
-Child marriage is punishable by law but the marriage is legally valid!
-Polygamy is punishable under Section 494 of the penal Code.
-Under Muslim Law women are entitled to maintenance as of right.
-While Muslim Law does not allow adoption, under
Hindu Law only men have the right to take a male
child for adoption. Hindu women are not allowed
to adopt.
-Under both Muslim and Hindu laws women do not
enjoy equal rights of inheritance with men.

Bangladesh National Women Lawyers Association
(BNWLA) has been actively involved in rescuing
women and children from violent and exploitative
situations and enabling them to get greater
access to the legal system. The organisation's
Executive Director Advocate Salma Ali speaks to
SWM about the primary loopholes in the legal
process that adversely affect women and how this
process can be reformed to make it work for women.

What are the main drawbacks in the legal system
that undermine the rights of women as equal
citizens?

Some of the main drawbacks are:
a. A woman victim is liable to prove the case by herself.
b. There are many laws such as laws of
inheritance, family law-- distinctively
guardianship, custody and divorce that are
discriminatory towards women.
c. Too much emphasis on medical test reports and
certificate of injury during legislation which is
not always practically possible to obtain
d. Lack of eye witnesses in case of domestic violence.
e. Lengthy legal procedure.
f. Corruption among the law enforcing agencies and other related persons.

Has the access of women to the legal system improved over the years?
Though some gaps still exist within the present
legal procedure, women's access to the legal
system has improved over the years. Some laws
have been enacted which have widened the way to
establish women's rights in all spheres of life.
In fact establishments of the mediation court,
enactment of the Acid Throwing Act and the
formation of Women and Children Repression
Prevention Tribunal has been treated as great
steps of Bangladesh Government in this regard. At
the Government NGO joint level, especially from
BNWLA's side, initiation of One Stop Crisis
Centre (OSCC) in different government medical
colleges has also secured the greater access of
women who become victims of violence or abuse.

Some issues, which are still lagging behind in
law making and need immediate attention such as
domestic violence /wife abuse. According to BNWLA
official sources, nearly 75-85% of clients
regularly seek legal assistance to save
themselves from different forms of domestic
violence. Most domestic violence occur when the
woman's family cannot fulfil dowry demands, when
the wife is reluctant about giving approval for
second marriage and because of the general lack
of moral values of the husband and other family
members. There is also an urgency to form new
laws to prohibit domestic violence.

In our view in spite of the Speedy Trial Act
initiated by the Goverment the sufferings of the
women have not been reduced due to political
pressure and the case error related stay order of
the High Court. Apart from that, the absence of
any clause regarding 'eve teasing' or sexual
harassment in the recent Women and Children
Repression (Prevention) Act 2003, has curtailed
the rights of women. Defective F.I.R. (First
Information Report) also causes unnecessary agony
for women and creates obstacles in getting
justice in time. In view of that there is an
exigency to strengthen the infrastructure for the
proper implementation of laws.

Can you cite a successful case study where BNWLA
have helped a woman through the legal system?
In one case Anika and Salam (not their real
names) were in love. One day when Anika was ill
and her mother had left her home to get medicine,
Salam entered the house and raped Anika. Anika's
screams for help alerted the neighbours . Later
Anika and her mother contacted BNWLA through its
hotline service to seek legal assistance. BNWLA
filed a case against her boyfriend Salam. Finally
BNWLA with testimony from Anika's neighbours won
this case and the accused person received
lifetime prison and fined five thousand Taka (or
imprisonment for three months) against his
charges.This was a major achievement for BNWLA.

Is it difficult for women lawyers to work in a sexist society as ours?
It is challenging for women lawyers to work in a
male-centred society. After getting recognition
from the Bar Council, a lawyer has to work with a
senior lawyer. Sometimes it is difficult to do
chamber work and practice in court with male
colleagues, who always consider themselves
superior. In a sexist society as ours, clients
think it is better to hire a male lawyer. Sexual
harassment of women lawyers by their male
colleagues is not uncommon. This includes
indecent teasing, obscene gestures and sexist
remarks. In most cases it is impossible for women
lawyers to maintain chamber at night. They also
face insecurity while conducting investigations.
They hardly get any support from politically
biased public prosecutors. Family members of
women lawyers also do not encourage her to
struggle her in this field. Individually it is
very difficult for a woman lawyer to pursue her
career and it is better if she is part of a
larger group such as BNWLA which can provide a
certain amount of security and privileges.

What do you think needs to be changed to make the
legal system accessible and beneficial for women?
-- Though the Bangladesh Constitution, contain
several articles (10, 27, 28, 29 etc) for the
protection of women rights, in practice there are
many inconsistencies with Personal Law.

--The Bangladesh Government is yet to sign a few
of the articles of CEDAW. Due to that the
sufferings of women has increased. It is very
urgent to complete signing all of the articles of
CEDAW.

--There is a need to amend Muslim law of
inheritance and family laws Evidence Act, Birth
Registration Act , Child Marriage Restraint Act
and Hindu Personal Law as well as the Suppression
of Immoral Trafficking Act 1933.A new law on
domestic violence has to be enacted.

--In cases where women are victims of domestic
violence or torture by the husband, priority
should be given to circumstantial evidence and
procedure should be changed accordingly. In cases
of physical torture, circumstantial evidence
should be given preference over medical evidence.

--A new injunction procedure needs to be
initiated to establish the right of the wife to
stay at the husband's home after filing a suit
against husband.

--The Criminal Procedure Code must be amended to avoid lengthy procedure.

-- the practice of appointing lawyers simply
considering their political views has to be
eliminated.

--There has to be a procedure of accountability of law enforcing agencies.

-- Victim and witness protection services have to be more effective.

--Training of youth groups besides police,
investigation officers, Kazi, and Imams have to
be conducted.

--There is an urgency to reform some of the
sections of the Penal Code. There is also a need
to have clear definitions of Rape, Sexual
Harassment and others.

_______

[4]

Magazine Section / The Hindu (India)