SACW | 23 Sept. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Sep 23 04:27:27 CDT 2003

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  23 September,  2003

[1] What's US doing in S. Asia (M.B. Naqvi)
[2] Bomb Blast, Communal Violence and Secular India (Asghar Ali Engineer)
[3] India: Just the facts in S. A. R. Gilani case (Nirmalangshu Mukherji)
[4] Syncretic Bengal:  Living in the Fringes to Worship (Barnita Bagchi)
[5] India: Inter-faith Harmony: Where Nehru and Gandhi Meet (Ramachandra Guha)
[6] India: Solidarity Appeal Demands Rehabilitation of Kolkata Evictees
[7] India: Internet Censorship at work - news reports

--------------

[1.]

[22 September 2003, Karachi]

What's US doing in S. Asia

By M.B. Naqvi

The US appears to have made a breakthrough with
regard to India. A strategic partnership is
developing between them and a third dimension to
it is the inclusion of the 'natural alley':
Israel. Brajesh Mishra had called it a natural
axis, which seems to have been all but formalized
by the Israeli PM Ariel Sharon's recent India
visit. In the current US visit of the Indian
Premier AB Vajpayee, he is expected to sign a
major agreement with the US, probably over the
"trinity of issues" --- high tech trade, civilian
nuclear energy and cooperation in space programme
--- that may be expected to give substance to the
growing "strategic partnership" between the two.

The US role in the Subcontinent cannot be
understood without reference to the old US-Pak
relationship. It has seen many ups and downs.
What is its current status? Probably an
international commission of inquiry would be
needed to do justice to the subject. For one's
part, one takes Ambassador Nicholas Platt's, the
Chief of New York's Asia Society's, recent
enunciation of the major US concerns vis-à-vis
Pakistan as the text. These are four: (a) Taliban
remnants trying to undermine Afghanistan's
reconstruction; (b) the possibility of Indo-Pak
nuclear conflict; (c) the danger of Pakistan
succumbing on political and economic fronts; and
(d) the rising tide of Islamic extremism.

Platt's is a succinct summing up of the US view
of this country. Many would agree with the
prognosis, though not necessarily with what the
Bush Administration proposes to do. The question
arises that in view of the long sorry story of
Pak-India relations, with many quasi and full
wars and a year-long military eyeball-to-eyeball
confrontation, with frequent exchange of threats
of the use of nuclear weapons, what does the US
propose to do in the region? Apart from
persuading both sides not to go to war and
advising them to talk --- a sort of fire fighting
--- what are the concrete US actions?

It can be briefly summed up, if we ignore the
currently urgent US worries about al-Qaeda,
Afghanistan and Iraq, as the effort to firm up a
strategic alliance among itself, Israel and India
--- and to help India 'arrive', both economically
and militarily. The expected major agreement
between the US and India ---- mainly to permit
Israel sell some of the high tech military
equipment and its own policy regarding sales of
dual use technology --- gives enough indication
of the US desire to see India emerge as a major
power in the region.

Vis-à-vis Pakistan, the recent US munificence ---
a package of $ 3 billion in military and
military-related economic assistance programmes,
permission to help Pakistan spend $ 9 billion of
its own money in American arms Bazaar and the
declaration that the US intends to help maintain
a balance of power between Pakistan and India ---
is noteworthy. Doubtless the US values Pakistan's
cooperation in catching the major al-Qaeda and
Taliban fugitives. It probably expects that
Pakistan would, out of gratitude, find a way of
sending troops to Iraq, if not recognize Israel.

Let's relate the major US worries regarding
Pakistan with the action it promises. Would the
latter promote the achievement of what the US
desires with reference to the four factors that
constitute Pakistan's vulnerabilities? India does
not need money from the US; it only needs US
technology. The Bush Administration looks like
obliging India very substantially. As for
Pakistan, it needs American money as well as a
resumption of old military relationship with the
US. The latter involved permissions to buy
military hardware, purchase of spares, training
of personnel and American help in the maintenance
of US-given equipment. The US, in pursuit of its
balance of power design, is again giving Pakistan
some money and permission to buy military
equipment --- so long as India does not cry foul
i.e. that it will disturb the balance of power.

The really serious concerns of the US are that
Pakistan should not collapse for political or
economic reasons; there should be no nuclear
exchange on the Subcontinent; and of course the
more imprecise and difficult task of saving
Pakistan from Islamic extremism. Take the first:
Why is Pakistan so brittle, unstable and
politically divided? A few reasons are: its
elites adopted a militarist view of Kashmir,
thought it necessary and feasible to wrest it
from India by military means. That led to the
rise of the military and eventually it inherited
the Pakistan state as a whole. That in turn
caused multiple polarizations. The military
elites reliance on Islamic rhetoric and alliance
with the religious bigots led successively to
ideological confusion, identity crisis, collapse
of democracy, adoption of a militarist course of
action and of course Islamic extremism
flourished, a manifestation of which was the
Taliban regime and the general fascination with
terrorism by segments of society.

The question is would Pakistan's buying military
equipment and training worth $ 10.8 billion help
counter any of the foregoing tendencies? Remember
that India in any case is embarked on a programme
of military greatness and the signs are that it
will now go for the cutting edge of technology.
The Indian reaction to what the US is doing for
Pakistan will be to render it ineffective by a
greater and speedier build up. Which in turn will
force Pakistan military to push for even greater
acquisitions. Would its possible implosion not
come nearer?

In plain words, the US permission to Pakistan to
buy military goodies worth $ 9 billion in
addition to $ 1.8 billion military aid is, in
conjunction with what it is going to do for
India, is the surest way to intensify the various
arms races between these two states. It is
optional to regard the American friendliness to
Pakistan as a two-in-one strategy: while buying
gratitude of Pakistani generals, Pakistan's
unusual Monetary Reserves at $ 11 billion can be
recycled to the profit of American arms
manufacturers. One can be sure that if Pakistan
were to spend $ 10 to 11 billion on arms, India
will devote $ 50 [billion] or more to offset
Pakistan's perceived gain --- all to the benefit
of American arms Bazaar.

Let's ignore India. After noting that fires of
the arms races are being stoked strongly and
deliberately, there is the proposition: how this
balance of power strategy will affect the
likelihood or otherwise of Pakistan's going belly
up for political or economic reasons? If
militarism and arms build up, along with empty
Islamic sloganeering, has brought Pakistan to the
present pass, how can such a heavy military build
up and support to the Musharraf regime can
normalize, democratize and strengthen Pakistan?
Pakistan economy's health is not robust enough;
the present praises for its supposed
stabilization hide an ugly reality: shorn of
western largesse and if debt payment
reschedulings do not remain available, Islamabad
will be back to 1998 conditions. The possibility
of default and worse may come closer.

How will the US goal of preventing an atomic war
in South Asia be served by its plan to intensify
Indo-Pak cold war and arms races? If it is true
that civilian nuclear power generation is vitally
linked to the country's plans for military uses
of nuclear technology, if any, how then the
American-Indian cooperation on that "trinity of
issues" make the two countries move toward
nuclear disengagement? Indeed, ordinary citizens
are more likely to suspect that the US is moving
toward filling the gaps in India's nuclear
programmes with new dual use technology without
directly assisting it in its purely military
programmes. The US may end up giving impetus to
nuclear arms races, as Pakistan will beg, borrow
or steal to get similar technology.

Insofar as countering Islamic extremism is
concerned, the course the US has adopted in South
Asia can only worsen the situation. The
short-term purpose of the Americans is to elicit
stronger cooperation from Musharraf government in
both fighting the Taliban remnants in
Afghanistan, arresting the fugitive Taliban and
al-Qaeda notables and to get him to adopt a more
secular approach. The political course that
Musharraf may be forced to adopt in sending
troops to Iraq and possibly recognizing Israel
will almost be like a lighted match near a powder
dump. The Islamic extremists will cry 'sell out'
and there will be echoes of these denunciations.
Pakistan's greater integration into American
schemes is sure to backfire and intensify its
many divisive and debilitating trends. The US
cannot do a greater disservice than to intensify
the arms races between India and Pakistan.

______

[2.]

BOMB BLAST, COMMUNAL VIOLENCE AND SECULAR INDIA
Asghar Ali Engineer

(Secular Perspective Sept. 16-30, 2003)

The recent bomb blast in Mumbai on 25th August
2003 is a wake up call, if we care. It should
shake us up into deep reflection as to what is
happening to our country which gave birth to
doctrine of non-violence hundreds of years before
Christ and also during our freedom struggle in
last century. Why so much violence in
contemporary India whether it is communal
violence or such retaliatory violence in the form
of bomb blast. Such sectarian and arbitrary
violence seriously compromises with our doctrines
of non-violence and secularism. We cannot build
modern India without these doctrines.

First we would like to throw some light on the
recent bomb blast. The police maintains that one
Sayyad Mohammad, his wife and daughter were
involved in these bomb blasts in Mumbai on black
Monday i.e. on 25th August. The police also says
that this was organised by an organisation called
the Gujarat Muslim Revenge Force backed by
Jaish-e-Muhammad and Lashkar-i-Tayyaba of
Pakistan. Also we read news about suicide bombing
regularly in Kashmir as well as in Palestine and
other places.

Let me say here with all the emphasis at my
command that any form of violence, much less in
revenge, can be justified in the name of Islam.
The names like Lashkar-i-Tayyaba,
Jaish-e-Muhammad (the army of Muhammad the
Prophet) are highly misleading. Such names are
adopted only to provide religious gloss over
heinous acts of violence. Muslims should not be
misled by such pious sounding names. Muhammad has
been described in the Qur'an as "Mercy to the
nations". Can anyone kill ruthlessly in his name?

Suicide bombing promoted by these Pak-based
organisations, to say the least, is totally
prohibited by Islam. The Imam of Al-Azhar Mosque,
Cairo, also said in his lecture in Malaysia that
suicide is haram (prohibited) in Islam. And
suicide bombing is doubly prohibited as it takes
lives of innocent people and often they happen to
be children, women and old persons. There is no
way that such acts can at all be justified.

The Qur'an says that killing one person without
justification amounts to killing whole humanity
and saving one life amounts to saving whole
humanity (5:32). Thus the Qur'an has very
rigorous standards about respecting the right to
live and no one has right to deprive others of
this right to take revenge or otherwise except
through due process of law. Also, no one has
right to kill non-combatants even if one has
waging jihad. Shari'ah law strictly prohibits
killing non-combatants, children, women and old
people. And in such bomb blasts or suicide
bombing only such people get killed.

Jiash-e-Muhammad, Lashkar-i-Tayyaba etc. are
working against the express rules of Shari'ah.
Their high sounding and pious names should not
deceive anyone. The bomb blasts in Mumbai on 25th
August killed more than 50 persons all of whom
were totally innocent. So many children were
orphaned and many women were widowed. Can it be
called an Islamic act even remotely? It is so
shocking that two Muslim women were involved in
this brutal act. It should really deeply concern
all of us that all communal organisations are
using women for their selfish ends.

Women who give birth to life should never be
involved in any act, which leads to extinguishing
life. And one who is truly religious can never
indulge in revenge killing in the name of Islam.
The Qur'an requires Muslims to suppress their
anger rather than kill in retaliation. Thus we
find in the Qur'an among virtues of the believers
"Those who spend in ease as well as in adversity
and those who restrain (their); anger and pardon
men. And Allah loves the doers of good." (3:133).

In view of this verse there should be no doubt
that acts of retaliation has absolutely no place
as far as the Qur'an is concerned. A true
believer has to restrain his/her anger and should
pardon rather than kill in revenge and should be
doer of good. Thus all these religious sounding
armies should wind themselves up if they at all
believe in Islam and should devote themselves to
promote peace and security for innocent people.
This bloodshed is most irreligious act. Mohammad
Sayyad, his wife Fahmida and daughter Farhin are
not the real culprits. It is these organisations
like Jaish-e-Mohammad and Lashkar-i-Tayyaba who
are brainwashing these semi-literate people. They
are Muslims but have no knowledge of Islam.

Indian Secular Democracy

As there is no place for violence and revenge
killing in Islam there is no place for it in a
secular democracy. Had there been no Gujarat
carnage in post-Godhra phase there would have
been no attack on Akshardham temple in
Gandhinagar and these five bomb blasts in Mumbai
since December 2002 in which many innocent lives
were lost. There is no doubt that violence breeds
violence.

The private armies like Lashkar-i-Tayyaba are no
responsible to anyone and no one has elected
them. For violence they perpetrate, howsoever
strongly condemnable it may be, they are not
responsible to anyone. But this cannot be said of
Gujarat
Government which was directly responsible for
horrible violence perpetrated against innocent
Muslim citizens of Gujarat after Godhra incident,
which is equally condemnable. One must say the
Godhra incident was perpetrated by some Muslims
but what happened thereafter in Gujarat the
Narendra Modi led government was directly
responsible for it.

Can a government elected by people of a secular
democratic country be pardoned for what it did to
those innocent citizens who lost their lives,
homes and other properties? Certainly not. Even
the Central government, which is equally
responsible for maintaining secular democratic
values, did nothing to stop such violence in a
state, which put whole country to shame in the
eyes of the world.

If organisations like Lashkar-i-Tayyaba are a
blot on the fair name of Islam government led by
Narendra Modi in Gujarat is a blot on the fair
name of secular democracy like India. We rejected
the idea and ideology of Pakistan as it was
against our commitment to secular democracy. It
is thus our collective duty to keep secular
democracy going in our country. Those who use
religion for appealing for votes cannot be
friends of this country, as those who invoke
Islam for acts of retaliation cannot be believers
in Islam.

Fifty-five years after our independence won on
the basis of ideals of secular democracy we see
more and more communal violence and still
minorities are feeling insecure on one hand and
deprived of their right to honourable and
dignified existence. In fact our leaders of
freedom struggle like Gandhi, Nehru and Abul
Kalam Azad had expected that with the passage of
time communal rancour will be forgotten and all
citizens, as propounded in our Constitution, will
be able to lead an honourable secure life
enjoying all fundamental rights. But not only
that this goal has not been realised it is
receding ever further.

It is for all of us to reflect seriously why are
we continuously receding from our goal. Is
democracy a means for best form of governance or
clever means to realise ambitions of some
unscrupulous politicians by manoeuvring religious
sentiments of innocent people? Can a democratic
country afford blatantly communal organisations
promoting hatred against minorities and branding
them as enemies of the country?

Can we provide security even to the majority
community if such hate politics is blatantly
resorted to by these rank communal organisations?
When these bomb blasts take place innocent
citizens belonging to majority community get
killed. Is government not then responsible for
these deaths? Can we prevent this severe danger
to our internal security only through policing?
Our police force is also corrupt, communal and
inefficient with a few honourable exceptions. How
can we rely on such police force to protect
innocent citizens?

And can even best kind of policing guarantee full
security? It cannot if hate-politics is not kept
under cheque. Today America is also chasing
terrorists all over the world with no success.
Terror attacks, if one goes by what is happening
in Iraq and where America had gone to put and end
to terror, are increasing and America is totally
helpless. You cannot solve such problems by
employing mighty armies and efficient policing
but by providing people justice and living with
dignity.

Today it is a fact that Indian Muslims are
feeling alienated and insecure and are facing a
ballast of communal propaganda. In such a
situation it will not be wise to believe that
every Muslim will keep his/her cool and will not
be fragile enough to be brainwashed and misled by
terrorist organisations operating from across the
border. Unless we give a sense of security and
dignity to Indian Muslims it will be very
difficult to guarantee internal security.

Today we face much greater danger in the form of
terrorist attacks as number of terrorist
organisations have come into existence after 1990
when the Kashmiri youth took to violence. Earlier
during the eighties and before number of major
communal riots had taken place but no such bomb
explosions took place right up to the period
Babri Masjid was demolished by the Sangh Parivar
activists by inciting some Hindus to grab their
votes to come to power. It is since then that
Sangh Parivar intensified its hate campaign
beyond all limits and we are experiencing such
bomb explosions in various parts of India.

We must learn a lesson and leave behind communal
hatred and instil true patriotism in the minds of
our youth. Patriotism does not lie in loving only
territory but all the people of the country as
well and respecting their right to dignified
existence. If we want to be proud of our past let
us be proud of philosophy of Upanishads,
compassion of Buddha, love from the Bible and
justice and benevolence from the Qur'an. Let us
bury the hatchet of Mandir-Masjid conflicts
forever.

*************************
Centre for Study of Society and Secularism
Website: <http://www.csss-isla.com/>www.csss-isla.com

______

[3.]

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003

JUST THE FACTS

In the context of the current campaign by the
teachers of Delhi University to seek fair trial
and fair media coverage for S. A. R. Gilani (See
the web[page]
<http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex/new/indefenceofJilani092003.html>http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex/new/indefenceofJilani092003.html),
a question that is often asked both by persons in
the media covering the story, and the general
public is, 'why did the Indian law enforcing
system target Syed Gilani in particular?' In this
note I will not attempt to answer this question.
In fact, I will suggest that such questions, even
if well-meaning, are not significant for
determining issues of civil and human rights.

It is important to note that the very asking of
this question signals a refreshing change of
attitude towards the case. The question shows
that doubts have already been sown in the mind of
the questioner as to whether the judicial system
has a factual case against Gilani. If the police/
judicial system had presented a convincing case
for Gilani's alleged crime, the question of the
motivation of the system does not arise. On the
one hand, the shift to the inquiry into the
motivation suggests that, despite virulent
campaign by the media to condemn Gilani before he
is found guilty in a fair trial, the questioner
remains unconvinced. On the other hand, given the
understandable faith of the general public in the
law-enforcing systems that govern them, the
questioner is puzzled as to why the system then
targetted Gilani. Isn't the very fact of
condemnation by the agencies of the state a
pointer to Gilani's possible guilt,
notwithstanding the untenability of the facts
presented to establish it?

This shift to 'subjectivism,' in the face of
facts to the contrary, brings out a disturbing
aspect of the functioning of democratic states.
In an undemocratic state, the people know that
they have no role in the functioning of the
state; hence, the actions of the state are
generally interpreted as ill-motivated even if
people are unable to intervene. In a democratic
state, people entertain, other things being
equal, some responsibility for the actions of the
state they have helped establish by popular
franchise. Thus, in matters of critical
significance such as the Gilani case, where all
the agencies of the state appear to be singing in
unison, citizens allow themselves to be trapped
in a moral dilemma.

Agencies of the state often exploit this helpless
dilemma to the hilt. To illustrate the point,
consider a closely-related analogy currently
playing out elsewhere in the world. Much of the
Western world is by now convinced that the
Bush-Blair pair had no credible evidence for
attacking Iraq: no WMD, no links with al-queda,
no terror network. Yet, for a long time, poll
after poll suggested that people believed that
the states concerned must have had something in
their hands for, otherwise, it is too incredible
to conclude that their states decimated a
population without any moral justification at all.

Sensing the mood, there is a discernible shift in
the mainstream media from documenting the
"crimes" of Iraq to the good intentions of the
political leadership in US and UK. George Bush
and Tony Blair, it is now argued, sincerely
believed that the regime of Saddam Hussein was a
danger to the rest of mankind. It is unfortunate
that they formed this belief on the basis of
'incomplete' evidence supplied in haste by some
overzealous, unelected individuals. So, the hope
is that some evidence will ultimately be found
just because the leaders "sincerely believe" so.
Once the shift is successfully made to the minds
of the agents of elected oppressors, the notion
of (objective) evidence becomes inscrutable, and
faith takes over.

As noted, citizens adopt the faith in the
helpless belief that their leaders and the
agencies they command cannot be accused of
deliberate crime since such criminality partly
reflects on the citizens' own moral failure. As a
matter of fact, the current democratic states,
almost without exception, exploit this faith
rather than obeying them, especially in critical
matters of civil rights under discussion here.
Atrocious crimes against humanity are thus
committed for reasons of state, although in the
name of people.

The stated dilemma gives rise to the questions
under discussion, and poses a difficult situation
for civil rights campaigns. If you are not
answering these questions, you do not have a
sufficient justification for the campaign; if you
do produce an answer, you would be charged with
promoting "conspiracy theories." Civil and human
rights groups thus face the arduous task of
convincing the people not only about the patent
falsehoods propagated by the state, but also that
these falsehoods are enough justification for the
campaign.

This is not to deny that there could be
political/ institutional analysis of the
motivations of the agents of the state. But such
analysis ought to be based on verifiable facts of
interest, association, pronouncements, secret
decisions, profit-sharing, and the like; not an
easy task. When done properly and with radical
enthusiasm, such factual analysis often raise the
facts to a higher level, thus enabling people to
obtain a more comprehensive grasp of how the
world around them works. For example, a whole
range of such analysis is now available as to why
the US attacked Iraq. However, such analysis does
not include the sincerity of Bush's beliefs or
the upbringing of Donald Rumsfeld. The point is,
the force of the anti-war movement is not
diminished even if such analysis could not be
reached. Irrespective of the motivations of the
military-industrial complex, the invasion of Iraq
became illegitimate once the facts stated by the
complex itself fell apart.

By parity of reason, the charge of unfair trial
in the Gilani case remains valid once the factual
arguments of the prosecution collapsed, even if
we cannot decipher the motivations of the state.

NIRMALANGSHU MUKHERJI
Department of Philosophy
Delhi University

______

[4.]

Living in the Fringes to Worship

Barnita Bagchi

[This had appeared in Lest We Forget, a booklet
released on the occasion of 'India Sabka', a
youth festival celebrating Indian
multiculturalism organized by Majlis and Open
Circle, in December 2002 in Mumbai.]

Sudhanya and Kaushalya sit in one corner of the
station.  Sudhanya sings with  the two-stringed
'dotara' in hand.
'amar apon khobor aponar hoi na,
ekbar aponare chinle pore achenare jae chena'.
'my self doesn't have any news or knowledge of itself,
it's only once you know your self that you can get to know the  unknown.'
  There's quite a crowd. The song by Lalan Shah,
the most famous of Bengal's syncretic songmakers,
ends. Kaushalya takes Sudhanya by the hand and
helps him get up. He is blind. He is also a
'baul', and a singer. She has come from a lower
middle-class family in the suburban town of
Ranaghat, and has defied social strictures to
marry this singer. 'Aul, baul, fakir, pir',
performers and singers, practitioners of
mysticism and syncretism, householders and
mendicants, all these form a rich spectrum in
what we might call the bhakti movement in Bengal,
current even today.
The songs of bauls are some of the most powerful
mystical works of art found in  the world. The
term 'manush' or 'human being' recurs in Bengali
syncretic songs, as a condition to be attained by
men and women by being humane, loving, actively
altruistic towards other humans. Fairs and
village festivals, masjids and mandirs, all in
turn host the song performances which are the
most visible expression of Bengal's syncretism.
These performances are only the tip of  some very
complex, rich, earthy, philosophical ways of life.
Bengali syncretic songs express a spiritual and
esoteric worldview which is written in
'sandhyabhasa', or 'twilight language'. But this
metaphorical twilight language is deeply rooted
in earthiness. The marvels of the human body, a
vision of the bodily union between men and women
as the acme of synthesis, unraveling the
metaphors of the body to get a sense of the
mysterious workings of the universe- such themes
are central to 'baul' lore. As is syncretism, a
commingling of sufi and vaishnav and their own
distinctive beliefs.
Not all bauls sing, though. And while some bauls
wear a sufi-like habit of saffron cloth, many
consider this merely an upstart, trendy fashion.
Many bauls live ordinary lives of householders,
like many other members of important Bengali
syncretic sects, such as the Shahebdhanis, the
Balaharis, and the Kartabhajas. Pirs and fakirs,
like sants and gurus, are a part of this
syncretic world. Created mainly by lower-caste
Hindus and poor Muslims, these sects have members
whose identities aren't readily discernible as
different from the mainstream religions.
Sometimes also practicing more traditional
religious customs, they identify others who know
their lore by terms in their twilight language.
Non-singing bauls, like other members of
religious sects, usually have a powerful hidden
life of spiritual practices, which in a major way
involve their learning to make the body an
instrument of spiritual attainment and ecstasy.
Initiates into syncretic life and lore say report
that the glamourization of the 'baul' has
inevitably often led to the glitziest and
cheapest and shallowest forms of baul performance
and practices being peddled to an urban and
Western audience. But faced with terrible
poverty, an already hard to maintain regimen of
inner control and discipline, and the lure of
mike and francs, it is no wonder that many
succumb to the lure of bright lights, often
facing brief careers in limelight that end in
tragedy.
Meanwhile, singers like Sudhanya sing Miyajan
Fakir's song, at once about the transience of
pleasure and about the processes of fertility and
the conception of new life:
'Once every month, a flower blooms in the ghats of pleasure;
If it is not the auspicious moment, the flower fades and goes.
It comes and it floats away, and no one can find it thenŠ'

______

[5.]

The Times of India, September 23, 2003

Inter-faith Harmony: Where Nehru and Gandhi Meet
RAMACHANDRA GUHA

"Secularism" is a word that in the Indian context
is like a red rag to a (saffron) bull. It has
been so abused and misunderstood that perhaps it
is time for us to think of an alternative. Let me
propose the uncontro- versial term, "inter-faith
harmony".

Inter-faith harmony requires that there is both
trust and respect among religions. It requires
that the daily business of social life, of making
a living and raising a family, is not disturbed
by bursts of communal violence. In a
multi-religious society, this can only happen
when no faith sees itself as superior to another,
when no faith sees itself as victimised by
another.

In modern India, the most spectacular instances
of the breakdown of inter-faith harmony were the
Hindu-Sikh violence in north India in the 1980s,
and the Hindu- Muslim violence in Gujarat last
year. There are some striking similarities
between the two.

Consider their origins. Some Sikhs in the Punjab
and some Muslims in Gujarat felt victimised,
under threat from what they perceived as the
majority Hindu community. Both acted upon this
insecurity by taking recourse to violence. And in
each case, the violence started by the "minority"
brought about savage retribution by the
"majority". Finally, in both instances the party
in power tacitly encouraged the rioting.

Only two episodes in the history of
post-Partition India can properly be called
pogroms: that directed against the Sikhs of Delhi
following the assassination of the prime
minister, and that directed against the Muslims
of Gujarat after the burning of the Sabarmati
Express in Godhra.

These pogroms were made possible by the breakdown
of the rule of law. The Sikhs who were butchered
were in no way connected to the Sikhs who killed
Mrs Gandhi. The Muslims who were killed by Hindu
mobs were completely innocent of the Godhra
crime. Contrast these Indian cases with what
happened in the United States after the events of
September 11, 2001, when the administration
ensured that there would be no generalised
persecution of Muslims. One study calculated that
there were about half-a-dozen attacks on
minorities in the US, only one of them fatal.

To maintain or restore inter-faith harmony
requires simultaneous action by the state and by
civil society. The state must ensure that the
rule of law prevails. Civil society must work to
inculcate respect among religions. This is where
we need to consider afresh the examples of
Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi.

Their perspectives on faith and religion are
usually seen as opposed and contradictory.
However, in the context of our current social
crisis they are more appropriately regarded as
complementary.

Nehru's ideas on inter-faith harmony can be
summed up in four words: India is not Pakistan.
To quote: "The moment you talk of a Hindu rashtra
you speak in a language which no other country
except one can comprehend and that country is
Pakistan... They can immediately justify their
creation of an Islamic nation by pointing out to
the world that we are doing something similar."
Nehru was himself an agnostic. For him religion
was above all a practical question; as head of a
new state he had to deal with it politically.

Gandhi, on the other hand, was a deeply religious
man. His ideas on religion were rich and complex:
one cannot easily summarise them in a quote or
two. (The interested reader may wish to consult
the valuable books on the subject by Margaret
Chatterjee and J T F Jordens.) For a believer,
and a self-described Sanatani Hindu, Gandhi had
an unusual interest in faiths other than his own.
His best friend was a Christian priest, C F
Andrews. Among his followers were numerous Sikhs,
Christians, Parsis, Jews, Muslims, and, of
course, Hindus. But Gandhi also took care to
acquaint himself with the formal texts and
precepts of their different faiths.

What did Gandhi conclude from his life-long study
of religion? For our purposes, this may be boiled
down to a seven-word maxim: No religion is
superior to any other. Hence his implacable
opposition to conversion. One must stay with the
faith one was born into, but one can always try
to improve it.

Thus his injunction that "we can only pray, if we
are Hindus, or if we are Mussalmans, not that a
Hindu or a Christian should become a Mussalman,
nor should we even secretly pray that anyone
should be converted, but our innermost prayer
should be that a Hindu should be a better Hindu,
a Muslim a better Muslim and a Christian a better
Christian".

To be a better Hindu meant to work for the
abolition of untouchability. To be a better
Muslim implied the emancipation of women. To be a
better Christian required one to take heart from
the passages in the Bible that mandated
non-violence, rather than the reverse. But in
each case to be "better" also meant cultivating
love and respect for people of other faiths.

To oppose "Gandhian syncretism" to "Nehruvian
secularism", as some scholars have done, is in my
view a mistake. Contemporary India needs both. It
needs a state which will be scrupulously
impartial between faiths, and work honestly to
maintain the rule of law. It also needs popular
initiatives in inter-faith harmony, whether
multicultural ashrams or the mohalla committees
of our own day.

______

[6.]

Solidarity Appeal Letter
22nd September 2001
Observing the second eviction anniversary

DEMAND: REHABILITATE KOLKATA EVICTEES
REQUEST: Read, Act and Forward to as many people as you can...

Appeal: Forced eviction without any alternative is a gross human rights
violation under national and international laws. Kolkata is the only city in
India, which evicts their city inhabitants without providing any alternative
rehabilitation. No families have been rehabilitated after carrying brutal
evictions by the authorities in the distant or recent past.
If you believe strongly, that forced eviction is a crime against humanity
and no family or individual should be evicted or made homeless without any
alternative provisions, then extend your solidarity support email campaign
by doing the following:

A. Write a strong letter to West Bengal authorities appealing to immediately
rehabilitate Kolkata evictees      with subject line "Rehabilite Kolkata
Evictees"

B. Anyone you think might be able to make a timely intervention please
forward this e-mail to the                 concerned person immediately.

C. Suggest your idea for giving justice to Kolkata evictees and send it to
us urgently.

Attach CC copy of your e-mail to:

<mailto:rajeevjohn at vsnl.com>rajeevjohn at vsnl.com
or
<mailto:hrln_cal at hotmail.com>hrln_cal at hotmail.com

In solidarity
Rajeev John George
Convenor
National Forum for Housing Rights, India

Extend your Solidarity Support for Rehabilitating Kolkata Evictees
Uchchhed Birodhi Sangrama Committee is commemorating the second anniversary
of Tolly Nalla evictions in Kolkata-city. On 22nd September 2001 around 1400
households were brutally evicted from the southern skirts of the canal side
in Kolkata. Invincibly, the maverick West Bengal government till date has
not taken any action to rehabilitate even a single family. Though the Left
Front claims to be pro-poor regime, piously committed for the cause of the
poor sections. But contrarily, since last two years large number of poor
inhabitants have been rendered homeless and pushed into pavements through
forced eviction drives without any relocation alternative. The modus
operandi of forced eviction operation by Kolkata Municipal Corporation is
not only notorious, but also shocking. There are many more evictions to be
carried out in the same manner in the near future.

For the Tolly Nalla struggle, Uchchhed Birodhi Sangrama had played a leading
role in consolidating solidarity to the victims through running community
kitchen where around 200 people have their daily meals since last two years.
These community leaders have formed a committee for demanding rehabilitation
named - "Tolly Nalla Punar Vasan Awasan Samabhai Sammitti". The Sammitti
members has also prepared I-cards for families to remind Kolkata authorities
that they were once removed from their homes, but they still have not
received any alternative relocation and are determined and united for their
just cause.
Major evictions in Kolkata:
21st September 2001

1400 families displaced at Tolly Nala, Rapid Action Force were used to
remove the inhabitants who were residing since last 40 years;
10th December 2002
On International Human Rights Day 4000 households at Beliaghata were
demolished and more then 200 houses were burned down before executing the
operation;
2nd February 2003
From Bellilious park around 700 dalit Scavenger families were mercilessly
uprooted without any prior notice and without any rehabilitation programme.
Most of the inhabitants were working at Howarh Municipal Corporation. HMC
had rehabilitated these scavenger communities in the park land used as
dumping ground hundred years ago by constructing quarters.

Modus operandi of evictions:
Tolly Nalla evictions were carried out during monsoons.
No alternative accommodations or sites are made available to evicted
victims.
Large scale complains were reported that state machinery were engaged in
arson and looting of household belongings during the operation.
Displaced families were even denied to collect their belongings before
demolition drive.
For operation Black commandos were deployed against peaceful civilians.
Local urban authorities intend to use these lands for commercial
exploitation.

According to the preliminary finding by Association for Peoples Initiatives
for Liberation (APIL) a local civil rights group the number of homeless in
streets have increased sharply. Out of the total homeless around 18% are
those who had been added as homeless on the streets of Kolkata are victims
of forced evictions without relocation in the past two years.
Last year People's Commission on Eviction and Displacement held an
independent inquiry which was headed by Justice Rajindar Sachar, former
Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court on 21st and 22nd September 2002. The
Commission found that not a single family were rehabilitated, the panel
members were shocked to find the evicted victims were staying on railway
platforms, pavements and under-bridges in inhuman conditions.
Appeal for action:
We earnestly appeal to the national, international human rights bodies and
financial institutions to put pressure on West Bengal government for
providing rehabilitation to Tolly Nalla, Beliaghata and Belillious Park
evicted families.
The West Bengal state should abide by international and national laws which
makes mandatory to any evictees for an alternative provision. Such policies
and provisions are consistently practiced in all other states in India.
Example: Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore and Ahemdabad
provides alternative relocation to the victims immediately if they are
evicted.
On the second anniversary of Tolly Nalla evictions we would appeal to all
civil rights groups and concerned citizens for extending their solidarity
through posting mass protest letters to West Bengal authorities for their
immediate rehabilitation.
Our demands:
That no more evictions must be carried out in Kolkata-city without
resettling all evicted families...
That all evictees of Tolly Nalla, Beliaghata and Belillious Park must be
given rehabilitation immediately...
That a dialogue should be held between Kolkata ULB and the affected families
including the support of civil society groups to find adequate solutions
acceptable to the affected families...

That all international lending agencies like Asian Development Bank (ADB)
and the World Bank must seize all loans till the West Bengal government
provides adequate rehabilitation to all the victims...
That the West Bengal state must come out with stated official policy on
rehabilitation as practice in other states in India...

We appeal to all civil society and human rights groups to incorporate the
above demands in the solidarity appeal letter to:

Budhadev Bhattacharya
Chief Minister,
Govt. of West Bengal.
Writers' Buildings, Kolkata-1
Fax :- 91-33-2214 5480
Tel: 91 33 214 5555
Email: cm at wb.gov.in
Email: cpimwb at cal3.vsnl.net.in
Email: prsecycm at wb.nic.in

Ashoke Bhattacharya
Minister In-charge of Urban Affairs & Urban Development
Municipal Affairs Department,
Govt. of West Bengal.
Writers' Buildings,
Kolkata-1
Tel:91 33 214 5497
Fax : 91-33-2214 3853
Email: cpimwb at cal3.vsnl.net.in
Email: micma at wb.gov.in

Amalendu Roy
Minister In charge of Irrigation & Water Ways
Tel: 91 33 214 3612
Fax: 91 33 321 5210

Subrata Mukherjee
Mayor
Kolkata Municipal Corporation
Tel: 91 33 244 7519
Fax: 91 33 2442578
Email: cmcmayor at vsnl.net

The President : pressecy at alpha.nic.in /
pressecy at sansad.nic.in

The Prime Minister : pmosb at pmo.nic.in

The National Human Rights Commission :
Email: chairnhrc at nic.in / nhrc at ren.nic.in

______

[7]      [INTERNET CENSORSHIP AT WORK IN INDIA: 3 news reports]

The Hindu,September 23, 2003

Bid to block anti-India website affects users
By Sandeep Dikshit
http://www.thehindu.com/2003/09/23/stories/2003092312761100.htm

o o o

The Hindustan Times, September 23, 2003

Govt blocks e-group but can't prevent access
Siddharth Zarabi
(New Delhi, September 22)
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/printedition/230903/detFRO04.shtml

o o o

Business Line, September 20, 2003

Govt issues orders to ISPs - `Block separatist outfit's e-group'
Gaurav Raghuvanshi
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2003/09/20/stories/2003092002890100.htm

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex).