SACW | 22 Aug. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Aug 22 05:06:51 CDT 2003

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  22 August,  2003

[1.] Clifton beach was a symbol of all that is good about Pakistan
(Kamila Shamsie)
[2.] U.K.: Press Release: Legal Action To Arrest Narendra Modi For
Torture (Awaaz)
[3.] Press Release re Kashmir  (Council of Advocates international)
[4.] Sri Lanka: Our Ethnic Imbroglio (Izeth Hussain)
[5.] India: Hindutva Fascists at Work: The disruption of  Habib Tanvir's Plays
- Press Statements by Sahmat and Theatre groups, Progressive Writers,
Cultural and Peace groups
[6.] India: Journalists as Janitors (I.K.Shukla)
[7.] [Ariel Sharon's upcoming trip to India] Blood red carpet  (Praful Bidwai)
[8.] India will keep wading in asymmetry (Ashok Mitra)

--------------

[1.]

The Guardian  [UK]
August 21, 2003

Clifton beach was a symbol of all that is good about Pakistan. Then
along came a 10,000-tonne oil spill

Kamila Shamsie

In the mid-80s, my father and I used to go walking along Clifton
beach in Karachi every evening. There was a regular group of walkers
who I grew to recognise - though the only one I clearly remember now
is the stout man who wore a T-shirt one size too small with the words
"It's My Body You're After" emblazoned across it.

As we walked, my father told me that there used to be a time when the
coarse, dark sand beneath our feet was fine and white, and the water
clear blue. That was before Karachi became a major port and Clifton
beach suffered the impact of proximity to the harbour (not to mention
Karachi's ineffective sewage system which disposes of waste in ways
we would all rather not think about). I used to look at the sand and
try to imagine it white, try to imagine a magic formula that could
reverse the spills and waste of cargo ships.

I mention this because it only seems fair to say that it has been a
long time since Clifton beach has been a picture-perfect stretch of
sand and sea. But of all Karachi's beaches it is the one most
connected to the heart of the city, so it is the first place I go
when I want to feel Karachi's pulse.

Those walks with my father stopped in the latter half of the 80s as
violence spread through the city and even the beaches didn't seem
safe; for some years thereafter, the beach was comparatively unused,
with groups of men rather than families making up the bulk of its
visitors. But in the past few years, as Karachi has started to limp
out of its cyclical violence, Clifton beach has become more vibrant
and festive than I recall even from my childhood. There are halogen
lights along the sea wall now, attracting thousands of visitors well
after the sun has gone down, and late at night you can go on camel
rides, see snake-and-mongoose fights, buy snacks from roadside
vendors, eat roasted corn-on-the-cob just off the flame. They are all
here, all Karachi's ethnicities and economic levels and layers of
conservatism (girls in jeans walk happily alongside women in burkas),
and this is where you have to look to remind yourself that the mix
doesn't have to be incendiary.

Since the Greek cargo ship Tasman Spirit broke in two last week,
while transporting 67,000 tons of oil from Iran to Karachi, and
spilled at least 10,000 tonnes of its cargo into the sea, Clifton
beach and the area around it has been closed. More than 15km of the
coast has been affected by the spill. The ironic shrug with which
Karachiites greet most evidence of negligence and betrayal by the
authorities is starkly absent from their responses to the disaster.

Just after the ship broke up, a friend of mine who worked for a time
in Karachi at a mangrove conservation project emailed me to say:
"Those bastards. Bloody Iftikhar bloody whoever minister of bloody
whatever shouldn't go around pretending they did all that was
possible to avert this." Her anger is shared by all Karachiites I
have spoken to, and much of it stems from the fact that the
24-year-old, single-hull ship ran aground on July 27, and for more
than two weeks the Karachi port trust insisted everything was under
control, even as the layer of oil surrounding the vessel became
increasingly dense and dead marine life started to float to shore.
This insistence continued until the moment when the officials had to
admit that the ship was about to break in two.

At the time of writing, more than 35,000 tonnes of oil remain on
board and though we are told it is secure, no one is inclined to
believe this, as the people who say so are the same ones who insist
that the 10,000 tonnes already spilled pose no harm to human or
marine life.

There is no word yet on the extent of ecological damage, but experts
says it is potentially "a major disaster", particularly if a change
in wind direction sends the oil drifting towards the mangroves. The
fishing villages along the coast could see their primary source of
income go, literally, belly-up. The long-term effects of toxins on
residents along the coast is unknown.

So the devastation of Clifton beach itself is fairly low down the
list of "disastrous consequences" of the spill - but as a metaphor
for the failure of officialdom there can be nothing starker than
thousands of Karachiites rushing to Clifton on August 14, Pakistan's
independence day, to celebrate the birth of the nation, only to find
paramilitary forces blocking the way and dead creatures thrown by
black waters on to sludge that was once sand.

· Kamila Shamsie is the author of Kartography (Bloomsbury, £6.99)

_____

[2.]

PRESS RELEASE
Date: 21 August 2003, 17.30PM
From: Awaaz - South Asia Watch (www.awaazsaw.org)

LEGAL ACTION TO ARREST NARENDRA MODI FOR TORTURE

Lawyers pursing a warrant for the arrest of Chief Minister of Gujarat,
Narenda Modi under Article 1 of the International Convention Against Torture
and Section 134 of the UK Criminal Justice Act of 1988 have been allowed a
period of two weeks to collect relevant information and evidence that
relates to direct complicity between Modi and the killings of Muslim
citizens of India which took place after February 27 2002.

Yesterday, the complainant in the case was informed that Narendra Modi would
be represented by lawyers appointed by the Government of India, though the
latter is not party to the action. Representatives of the Indian High
Commission in the UK also attended the hearings yesterday.

Awaaz is supporting an action in which the complainant is Suresh Grover,
represented by civil rights lawyer Imran Khan.

The process of laying down criminal charges against Narendra Modi has begun.
It is intended to show that the Chief Minister, members of his cabinet, and
those under his authority by act or omission were instrumental in the
pogroms that engulfed the state of Gujarat and in which 2,000 Muslims were
killed and 200,000 displaced.

This is the start of an important attempt outside India to bring to justice
the perpetrators of the Gujarat pogroms in 2002. Similar opportunities will
arise if Narendra Modi is travelling in other European cities, the US,
Canada, Australia and elsewhere. The action started by supporters of Awaaz
will not prevent others to take, nor will it affect, similar or related
actions in other parts of the world. Awaaz strongly encourages others to
begin to collect information and evidence in preparation for the possibility
that Modi comes to their part of the world.

Awaaz will continue supporting this legal action and strongly encourages
other organisations to take action regarding the complicity of the State of
Gujarat in the 2002 pogroms. If you have any directly relevant information
or evidence, please send, in strictest confidence, to:

contact at awaazsaw.org

or

imrank at imrankhanandpartners.co.uk
tel: +44 (0)207 636 6314