SACW | Oct 5-7, 2009 / Afghan election / Prachanda’s interview / Chittagong Hill Tracts Letter / Free Speech, Censorship / Depleted Uranium / Traditional Values / Women's Rights / Appeals Against Militarisation and Violence

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:33:34 CDT 2009

South Asia Citizens Wire | October 5-7, 2009 | Dispatch No. 2658 -
Year 12 running
From: www.sacw.net

[ SACW Dispatches for 2009-2010 are dedicated to the memory of Dr.
Sudarshan Punhani (1933-2009), husband of Professor Tamara Zakon and
a comrade and friend of Daya Varma ]

____

[1]  Culmination of eight years of broken promises Afghanistan’s
fouled election (Chris Sands)
[2]  Nepal: Excerpts from Maoist leader Prachanda’s interview to The
Hindu (Prerana Marasini)
[3]  Bangladesh:  Letter to Chairman of Land Commission, Chittagong
Hill Tracts (CHT Commission)
[4]  Freedom of Expression / Censorship: State and Non State . . .
       - Zia's long reach (Quddus Mirza)
       - No country for artistes (Editorial, New Indian Express)
       - Spooks want govt to block Skype (Mohua Chatterjee)
[5]  Pakistan - India:  Break the logjam - There is no alternative to
talks (Kuldip Nayar)
[6]  India: Stop Militarisation and Violence - Appeals and Statements
by Citizens Groups
        -  Appeal by concerned citizens for a ceasefire and peace
talks between Govt. and maoists
        -  PUCL statement on the fight between state and Maoists
        -  ‘Victims of the Home Ministry’? (Anand Chakravarti ,
Arundhati Roy , Asad Zaidi , K Seshachary , Nandini Sundar , and Others)
        - Condemn strongly the malicious media trial of Chhatradhar
Mahato! (Committee For The Release of Political Prisoners)
[7] Afghan War's Blowback for India's Children? (J. Sri Raman)
[8] Traditional Values / Women's Rights:
      (i) UN: Russia's resolution on traditional values adopted by
the human rights council
      (ii) Women who fight for freedom (Azar Nafisi)
[9] Announcements:
    - Seminar On Police Reforms (Bombay, 8 October, 2009)

_____

[1]  Afghanistan:

Le Monde Dipomatique
October 2009

CULMINATION OF EIGHT YEARS OF BROKEN PROMISES AFGHANISTAN’S FOULED
ELECTION

Even without the problem of electoral fraud, now being independently
investigated, Afghans did not believe in the validity of this
summer’s election, or that its candidates offered any hope of a more
secure and peaceful future

by Chris Sands

Kabul was in lockdown, and children flew kites over the deserted
streets. The usual long queues of traffic and the US military convoys
with their gunners yelling at civilian drivers to stay back had gone.
Even the beggars lying lifeless in the dirt had disappeared for the
day. All that were left were dozens of police checkpoints. “I came to
vote because we need security,” said Gulha Khan as he exited a
polling station in the west of the capital. He and his family had
moved from neighbouring Maidan Wardak because of the Taliban’s
growing strength there.

The sun had hardly set on the strange quiet of 20 August when the
international community praised Afghanistan’s presidential election.
Barack Obama announced that it appeared “successful” and UN secretary
general Ban Ki-moon gave his congratulations. British prime minister
Gordon Brown spoke of the “major sacrifices” by soldiers that had
made it possible.

But amidst widespread allegations of fraud, the country is now in
political turmoil and the election has come to represent all that has
gone wrong with the Nato-led occupation. Subterfuge, violence,
paranoia, corruption and intimidation plagued the entire process and
had done so since campaigning began in the summer. Posters for more
than 40 candidates first appeared one morning in June, hung in shop
windows and plastered on walls throughout Kabul. Some showed the
faces of unknown men and women who had chosen to stand without ever
believing they would win. Others depicted ghosts from the past hungry
for power in the country they had helped destroy.

Hamid Karzai, the incumbent, was the clear favourite in a nation
traditionally ruled by Pashtuns like him from the south. Gul Agha
Sherzai, the governor of Nangarhar, decided not to run. Zalmay
Khalilzad, an Afghan-born US diplomat, was mentioned but didn’t
stand. In the end, Abdullah Abdullah, a former foreign minister and
member of the Northern Alliance, was left as the president’s main
rival. The pictures his team put up often showed him with his late
friend Ahmad Shah Massoud, the mujahideen commander admired and hated
in equal measure. Then the frontrunners gave free lunches to
potential voters, displayed their faces on huge billboards and
flooded the airwaves with ads explaining why they were Afghanistan’s
great hope.
‘A crisis if he wins’

The first sign of trouble was in July, when Abdullah’s campaign
chairman agreed to an interview. Abdul Sattar Murad said to a
journalist about Karzai what his colleagues had until then only
uttered between themselves. “He cannot win unless he resorts to large-
scale corruption, so we will not accept that. The nation is not
voting for him. He only gets votes through his governors and by
corruption,” he told me. Murad spoke in a house near the old British
cemetery in Kabul, which commemorates the dead of this and so many
other wars. He accused the Independent Election Commission of being
biased, described Karzai as “a thief” and said “the country will land
in the middle of a crisis” if he retains his position. He warned
there would be “street demonstrations”.

For a while, nothing happened. Then the government heard about his
comments and considered arresting him for inciting violence. He
denied saying those things or even giving the interview. But soon
other people made similar predictions and once the election took
place Abdullah was equally forthright.

Fraud lurked in the shadows before voting day. Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai,
another candidate, tried to speak of it after a campaign rally in the
eastern province of Paktia. The ex-World Bank official had been
touted as a serious contender, though he never had a genuine chance.
Members of his security detail wore US-style military fatigues and he
had a number of Americans discreetly working for him, including a
former adviser to Bill Clinton. “The person who is suffering worst
from electoral fraud is Mr Karzai,” he said. “Should he win nobody in
this country is going to believe it was legitimate. So actually by
indulging in electoral fraud he has deprived himself of the most
precious commodity that the politician needs: people’s trust.”

The focus of the West remained the Taliban, which had denounced the
vote as a sham and promised to disrupt the process. They gave out
letters at night and warned that anyone who went to a polling station
would be a legitimate target. A statement released on the internet
accused Washington of “trying to throw dust in the eyes of the
Afghans once again”. This was extremely effective because it scared
people and, like all good propaganda, contained some truth.
Indirectly, it sucked Nato into new military operations in the south
to provide security for voters. The troops had heavy casualties,
causing fresh doubts about the war in the UK and US.

Violence has risen noticeably every year here since 2005, so this was
not just a consequence of the election, but another sign that the
insurgents were going from strength to strength. Waheed Mozhdah, a
political analyst who had worked in the former Taliban government,
warned that it did not really matter who was the next president. “The
fighting will continue. The British have said they may need to be in
Afghanistan for another 40 years. The Americans should also be ready
for that.”

In the week before 20 August, a suicide attack on the Nato
headquarters in Kabul killed at least seven and injured scores.
Photographers hunted an ambulance while it prepared to leave the
scene, shooting blindly with their cameras through the vehicle’s
windows. A few days later a car exploded near a military convoy.
Waiting for the worst

The vote was fairly peaceful in the capital. At first, people waited
for the worst to happen, then they gradually ventured out. Some were
proud of taking part. Abdul Hakim Barak, an elderly Karzai supporter,
claimed he had grown used to war and nothing could scare him now.
“It’s important to choose someone who does not have connections with
other countries, is a good and intelligent man, and a Muslim. The
first thing we want from the next president is security.” Outside
Kabul, especially in the south and east, security seemed further away
than ever. There were rocket attacks in Khost, Paktia, Kandahar and
Helmand. Rebels in the northern province of Baghlan stormed a town
and fought with police, closing 14 polling stations in a part of the
country considered safe. This was one of the most violent days
witnessed in Afghanistan in the last eight years, according to Human
Rights Watch.

Insults began soon after. The teams of Karzai and Abdullah declared
victory straight away. Then allegations of widespread ballot-box
stuffing were made against the president. Turnout was often
mysteriously high in areas wracked with violence and votes favouring
the opposition were destroyed, it was claimed. Other candidates
accused both front-runners of fraud and intimidation. The UN-backed
Electoral Complaints Commission announced it was investigating more
than 2,000 cases, roughly a third of them serious. The British and US
were now concerned about possible corruption. Having built Karzai up
when he first came became president, western media now knocked him down.

Yet the outrage seemed hypocritical and too little, too late. Many
Afghans regard this election as the inevitable outcome of an
occupation that has failed to deliver on its promises. If the result
is seriously questionable, so was most of what came before. “I spoke
with other women and told them that if a candidate took his wife with
him on the campaign trail, then we could believe in him. But none of
them did,” said Sheila Samimi, who works with an NGO. “It shows they
are not accepting women’s rights and we are still second-class
citizens.”

Rather than represent a bright future, the main contenders reminded
Afghans of past horrors. Karzai’s campaign was based on deals with
warlords, who could bring him crucial swing votes among the minority
communities dominant in the north. His running mates, Mohammed Qasim
Fahim and Abdul Karim Khalili, played key roles in the fighting that
tore Kabul apart between 1992 and 1996. So did Abdul Rashid Dostum,
who briefly returned from Turkey to throw his support behind the
incumbent. Before and after the 2001 invasion, they had all been
allies of the US.

The president approved a law for Afghanistan’s Shia community that
allows a man to withhold food from his wife if she refuses his sexual
demands and gives fathers and grandfathers exclusive custody of
children. “He signed it just for votes. That is what is important to
Hamid Karzai, not the women and children,” said Ruqia Naiel, an MP
from Ghor province who is worried what will happen if he wins another
term. “See the eight years we have just passed? Maybe the next five
years will also be like this. All we will be trying to do is stay
alive.”

Abdullah also used the influence of the mujahideen. He emphasised his
role in the jihad against Soviet occupation and had the backing of
Burhanuddin Rabbani, the president of Afghanistan during the
disastrous civil war. Massoud, who featured so prominently on his
campaign posters, had also been instrumental in that and the later
struggle against the Taliban. Weeda Ahmed was convinced that neither
candidate gave reason for hope. The director of a group seeking
justice for the victims of conflicts since the late 1970s, she said:
“I don’t think we will be able to take the people’s rights back from
this new government. Still the criminals and warlords will be in
power. A lot of families say they would not even be able to accept
trying these men. They say, ‘that man killed my son, so I want to
kill his son’.”

All the votes have now been counted and Karzai has 54.6%, Abdullah
27.8%. Investigations into corruption are delaying a final result and
a run-off might be still required. A victory for Karzai could
destabilise sections of the north, where Abdullah has significant
support. In the unlikely event that Abdullah wins, the Pashtun south
and east will plunge deeper into chaos. At a crucial juncture in the
occupation, Afghanistan will have a leader unable to unite the country.

Mohammed Nader, a Kabul resident who did not take part in the
election, said: “There is nobody. We need change, a good person who
can bring security for us, and I cannot find one.”

(Chris Sands is Afghanistan correspondent for The National in Abu
Dhabi and a co-founder of Makoto Photographic Agency. He has lived in
Kabul since 2005)

_____

[2] Nepal

The Hindu
October 6, 2009

‘We will lead a government soon’

by Prerana Marasini

Prachanda: We want to show that the relation between the Maoists and
the people is intense.

The Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) has been protesting
since May against President Ram Baran Yadav (who had reinstated then
Army Chief Rookmangud Katawal) with a demand for the restoration of
civilian supremacy in Nepal. The major Opposition party’s continuous
obstruction of the legislature parliament has affected the
constitution-writing process but the Maoist Chairman, Pushpa Kamal
Dahal ‘Prachanda’ , says his party will not be responsible if the
constitution is not drafted on time. Excerpts from Mr. Prachanda’s
interview to The Hindu:

How far have you reached in restoring civilian supremacy in the last
couple of months?

In the initial phase, the major political parties of this government
were very negative. At this juncture, I feel the parties have
realised that moving forward without addressing the Maoists’ demands
is not just not right but also impossible. They have started to
realise that without the Maoists’ participation, neither can the
constitution be prepared nor can the peace process be completed. They
are, therefore, trying to forge a consensus.

Lately, there have been intense discussions among the parties to
introduce a common proposal to address our demands. Although I don’t
think this proposal would be finalised soon, the process is taking a
positive direction
So how much do people know about civilian supremacy?

We had a host of nationwide programmes in these months. Thousands of
people showed up and listened to us intently. What people have
understood is that there is a conspiracy by those who lost in the
elections to isolate the Maoists — the party that was voted the
largest. This, they know, is not civilian supremacy. This is how they
have understood it.
Were your protests, which involved showing black flags to the
President, the Prime Minister and the Ministers and throwing stones
at their vehicles, reflective of a creative opposition?

It is against our policy and programmes to throw stones, which
happened at some places and we are sorry about it. Overall, we
carried out peaceful protests. We don’t think the impact of these
protests were negative.
You met President Ram Baran Yadav on Wednesday and you said the talks
were positive. Can we say your protests were not effective enough and
that is why you had to meet the President personally?

Quite the opposite. All our protests of boycotting their programmes
and our mass assemblies had an effect on the political parties,
organisations, and individuals which led to the belief that it was
not right to isolate the Maoists. And in that atmosphere, I met the
President. So our understanding is that as a result of our protests,
that atmosphere was created.
What did you discuss with the President?

I used to have good interaction with him when I was leading the
government. I had not met him after my resignation. [During the
meeting] we exchanged our views on why things changed in the later
stage. I said: “I hadn’t imagined that you would take a step against
the norms of interim constitution and reinstate the Army Chief. Since
you were not satisfied with the decision [to sack him], I rather
thought you would send me a letter asking me to reconsider the
decision. And in case I did not do that, you would probably ask the
Court to look into the matter but you completely reversed the
government’s decision.” I also told him that the maximum I expected
from the political parties was a no-confidence motion and I was
prepared to face it. I had not imagined that they would approach the
President to fail the Maoists and request him to take an
unconstitutional move.
What did the President say?

He said: “I did not take the step under pressure from anyone. The
situation was becoming difficult, and as a way to stop it, I dodged
your step. But my intention is not to go on like this forever. I am
ready to do anything to have a consensus. Maoists are the major
strength and that you yourself should come forward.” In conclusion,
he said the present stagnation should be broken. I informed him that
the parties were trying to forge a consensus and in case no consensus
was gathered, I would meet him again.
Does the President want the Maoists to lead the next government then?

He did not exactly say that but as Maoists constitute the largest
party, he said it should join the government. He also suggested that
he would not have problems if we led the next government.
You have been saying since you resigned from the government that
Maoists will form a new government. When will that happen?

If you talk about the present government, it is accepted neither by
the people nor by the Maoists, and actually it’s not functioning.
Why is it not functioning?

Because the public does not have faith in it. You see the majority of
the leaders of the ruling CPN-UML are against the President’s move.
It is an open secret. The government is functioning in a hypocritical
manner.
But it is your party that is obstructing Parliament. If tomorrow, the
Constitution is not delivered in time, wouldn’t your party be guilty?
Will not the people’s faith be lost?

People know that Parliament is obstructed not because of the Maoists
but because of the conspiracy of those who lost in the elections,
those who maintain the status quo and the regressive elements
together quashed the interim constitution. The Maoists have not
resorted to vandalism, strikes and closures, and are still
responsible. People rather question why the parties in the government
don’t try to correct the move. So they won’t blame us. And I don’t
think the Constitution will not be prepared on time as the parties
are moving ahead with a consensus. However, if this situation
persists — civilian supremacy is not restored, Maoists are compelled
to launch a movement, and the constitution is not written, the
Maoists would not be guilty.
How do you think the issue of civilian supremacy should be addressed
as the Nepali Congress and the CPN-UML don’t want to discuss the
resolution?

The easiest option is to discuss the resolution and vote in the
House. We will accept even if we are in a minority as our position
will be clear. If sovereignty resides in Parliament, it will be very
shameful and unfortunate on the part of the parties that claim to be
democratic not to allow the discussions. We feel we’ll have a
majority as a majority of UML leaders — its Chairman, Vice Chairman —
are against the Presidential move. In case they issue a whip and we
are in a minority, we’ll accept it. The Nepali Congress and the UML
can also declare their position. So this would be the best option.

Secondly, we can consider a common resolution motion if it’s in a win-
win situation.

Thirdly, there might come a situation where the President will have
to clear the issue. If he puts his views across to the people, it
could play a role in addressing this issue. And finally, the interim
constitution could be amended so that the duties and authorities of
the President and the Prime Minister are clearly defined.
You’ve been saying that your party would launch a third revolution
that would be supported by the U.N. What kind of revolution is it?
Would it be against the peace deal?

We’ve been suggesting a revolution. We haven’t declared the
revolution yet.

What we want to do is to show the parties in the government that the
relation between the Maoists and the people is intense, which would
inspire them to arrive at a consensus. It’s true that if a consensus
is not arrived at, we will declare a revolution.
With the U.N.’s support?

The U.N.’s support is wrongly interpreted. What we mean is that the
U.N. does not go against people’s right to revolt. It recognises
people’s right to rebel. If the Interim Constitution is trampled upon
and the country is pushed towards confrontation, people will revolt
in the form of a third revolution. Our party will also be involved in
it and would try to take the lead. This wouldn’t be opposed by the
United Nations.
Would it be an armed revolt?

No, no. We’re not talking about arms now. It will be peaceful.
When will it be launched?

If there is a consensus, it won’t be needed now but if the parties
don’t give up their rigidity and try to move ahead isolating the
Maoists, we won’t be isolated. We will have to prove that we have a
sea of people, and we will declare the revolt.
Why not let the coalition government continue until a new
Constitution is written and elections are held?

This coalition is not backed by the people, it is against the spirit
of election and the Constitution, so we’ve been saying a new alliance
— joint national government — is needed with the Maoists, the largest
party, in the lead. If it’s not done, we’ll not accept.

The constitution-drafting process is associated with the peace
process. The Maoists have a 50 per cent stake in the peace deal that
was signed with the seven parties. Can there be peace, sidelining the
50 per cent stakeholder?

Only when there is consensus to form a government in Maoists’
leadership, can a Constitution be written and the peace process will
end.
So, can we see the Maoists’ government next month?

I don’t want to give a date now but that situation is developing.
How is your relation with India after resignation? You met the Indian
ambassador on Thursday?

We made it clear while resigning that we won’t bow down to any
regressive, feudal elements of the country and foreign powers that
try to dictate to us.

It’s true that India played a positive role in bringing a change in
Nepal by helping us sign the 12-point agreement. But in the later
stage, there were some confusions and gaps. At this point, what I
feel is India wants a consensus built in Nepal so that the peace
process successfully ends.

Through my meetings with the Indian ambassador and other Indian
leaders, intellectuals, and journalists I see a large group of
Indians who believe that the Maoists should not be isolated but
should be in the government to actively contribute to the
constitution drafting and peace process. I feel the government of
India is also positive about seeing our peace process end successfully.
Is the Maoists’ relation with India — that had been cold earlier —
improving?

Yes, I feel it’s improving slowly.
Does India want the Maoists to take the lead?

Our talks haven’t reached there but probably we will talk about it.
At the moment, we are trying to forge a consensus in the country and
we hope our foreign friends including India will support us.

_____

[3]  Bangladesh:

LETTER TO CHAIRMAN OF LAND COMMISSION, CHITTAGONG HILL TRACTS

Justice Khademul Islam Chowdhury,

Chairman of the CHT Land Commission

September 14, 2009

Honorable Chairman,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the interesting
conversation we had about the proposed activities work of the Land
Commission during the CHT Commission's mission to Bangladesh in
August, 2009.

In view of current developments, the CHT Commission would like to
enquire further about the operational procedure to be adopted by the
Land Commission. Specifically, we would like to refer to a press
report published in the bdnews24.com after the second meeting of the
Land Commission in Rangamati on September 7, 2009 stating that:
"*Decisions will be taken after careful scrutiny of any claim or
dispute over land and its handover*".

In light of this statement, the CHT Commission has the following
queries:

1.	Will the Land Commission invite claimants to submit details of the
parcels of land that they claim along with the supporting evidence,
inclusive of documentation of customary rights? If so, through which
channels will the claimants be invited to submit the evidence, given
that many of the Hill peoples, particularly in remote areas, do not
access to either the print media or radio and television?
2.	In August, you had informed us that there were no plans yet to
appoint legally qualified staff to the Land Commission. In that case,
who will scrutinize the submitted claims in October, as proposed?
3.	There seems to be uncertainty in terms of how the Land Commission
will deal with cases where there is conflict between (i) the
customary rights of the Hill peoples and (ii) the formal documents
given to in-migrating settlers for the same plots issued subsequently
by the local land administration offices from 1979 onwards. Is the
Land Commission going to decide on the merits of rival claims by
applying a set of rules which are publicly announced and applied
through transparent procedures? If not, then what criteria and
procedures will be applied?
4.	Will all the concerned parties be legally represented and will
they be able to call witnesses at the hearings of the Land
Commission? Under what rules of procedure will these hearings be
conducted?

We would be very grateful for your response to the above queries.

On behalf of the CHT Commission

Eric Avebury (Co-chair of the CHT Commission)
Sultana Kamal (Co-chair of the CHT Commission)
Ida Nicolaisen (Co-chair of the CHT Commission)

CHT Commission (http://chtcommission.org/)
Bangladesh Secretariat
10/11 Iqbal Road
Mohammadpur-1207

_____

[4] Freedom of Expression and Self Censorship : State and Non State

Himal South Asian, September 2009

ZIA'S LONG REACH
The Pakistani state no longer forces the country’s artists to comply
with stringent political or moral diktats – but it doesn’t have to.

by Quddus Mirza

“We live in a postmodern age, everything is simulation, everything is
reference, even dictatorships.”  – Dubravka Ugresic

A young man writes a love letter to his fiancé, and adds a line or
two about the government of his country. He posts the letter, but
soon after dispatching he realises that if it is opened in the censor
office, he is going to suffer because of the casual negative remark
he made. In order to avoid such consequences, he decides to apply for
a job in the censor department, so he can try to get hold of his
letter. To his surprise, he does indeed get a position, and thus
starts learning his new tasks. Several months later, during the
course of normal post-checking, he finally comes across his letter.
He opens it and reads the content. But instead of hiding it or
throwing it away, he writes a note that the sender of the letter has
committed a crime against the state and must be punished.

This short story by Luisa Valenzuela, the Argentine author,
illustrates how the system of censorship seeps into the very souls of
those it affects. The ultimate grip and success of censorship occurs
when it becomes part of one’s internal system; and, like termites, it
corrodes the insides, till one day it destroys the body it has
occupied. Subsequently, censorship becomes the normal, natural state,
such that one is no longer aware of its presence, as one’s thoughts,
words, art and acts are perpetually filtered through a new sense of
carefulness.

Pakistani society has faced multiple forms of censorship during its
short period as a nation-state. In fact, censorship has been a
constant characteristic and tool of successive Pakistani regimes. But
during the second last military rule, from 1977 to 1988, this became
a particularly prominent presence. The regime of that time, headed by
Zia ul-Haq, was known for monopolising religion and manipulating
ethics in order to justify its existence. As such, censorship, the
control over information and knowledge, was considered an essential
weapon in order to maintain order and keep power.

Floral patterns

It is important to recall how an autocratic regime such as Zia’s
related to matters of morality. After all, the censorship during
Zia’s period was primarily focused on moral issues –the
representation of human figures, particularly of women, and the
depiction of nude bodies, both male and female. This emphasis on
morality – or, alternatively, on sexuality – was hardly surprising,
given that the regime sought legitimacy in Islam, and common belief
was subsequently used as a stick with which to curb ‘immoral’
behaviour and expression. Hence, religion was interpreted in such a
way that, for an ordinary citizen, faith was reduced to decrees
relating to the representation of the female body, for which state-
enforced conditions were in effect for the female presence in print
media, film, theatre, television (which at that time was only the
state-run channel) and in the visual arts. Indeed, there seemed to
grow something of an official obsession with the female body, or at
least with certain parts of it. If during a television play, for
instance, a woman was depicted as drowning, it was essential that she
must be shown in dry clothes the moment she was rescued and emerged
from the water. Similarly, if a girl was sleeping on a bed, she
needed to have a properly folded dupatta on her chest at all times.

That kind of fascination (in the guise of prohibition) manifested in
another form for the print media. Film advertisements illustrating
the exposed parts of legs, arms, the navel or some cleavage would be
officially covered with cross-hatched black-pen lines – often
resulting in some interesting floral patterns, clearly the outcome of
whatever bored individual was tasked with checking and censoring all
the newspapers and magazines. Likewise, cinema was censored in such a
manner that, in foreign movies, two mouths coming close to each other
to kiss would suddenly begin to drift away, since the film censor
board had clipped the shots of the actual kiss in the movies but
provided enough time for the audience to guess at the lost presence
of a kiss.

These policies led to some perverse solutions. For instance, movies
were made about the ‘purity of love’ between a brother and sister,
yet the song sequences and other movements betrayed the clear
undercurrent of romantic and even amorous passion. Similarly, during
the heyday of overt censorship, a few theatres specialised in showing
specifically the censored portions of foreign films. This became such
a normal practice that, in a single week in the early 1980s, two
cinemas in Lahore were running the same movie (Naked Fist) but in two
different versions – the censored portions in one and the uncensored
parts in the other.

For the visual arts, the practice of censorship spread to
unprecedented levels. It was not possible to display female nudes in
public spaces, so artists relied on private galleries or simply
showed in their studios or homes. Yet even this was considered
offensive, and when the Karachi-born Colin David exhibited nude
paintings at his house in Lahore in 1990, members of the student wing
of a religious political party invaded the event and destroyed
several works. In another notable incident, in 1984, Iqbal Hussain
was not allowed to exhibit his canvases, depicting the prostitutes of
Lahore , at Alhamra, the state-run gallery; in protest, he put his
paintings on the roadside near the Alhamra Art Gallery .

The other component of state censorship was, of course, connected to
political matters. During the late 1970s, after Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
had been hanged and his Pakistan People’s Party and other political
groupings had been banned, any reference to political issues – in the
arts, literature, theatre or media – was considered a criminal
offence. Thus, paintings that were suspected of having references to
Bhutto’s hanging or political executions in general were labelled
objectionable and disallowed from public showings. Likewise, the
politically minded works of A R Nagori, Ijaz ul Hassan and Salima
Hashmi were banned from state-sponsored exhibitions, because these
addressed issues such as military dictatorship, political oppression,
religious fundamentalism and suppression of women; problems that were
present in the society, but were not often mentioned in the media or
on public forums. For example, Nagori made reference to the alliance
between the mullahs and the military in his painting “Junkies
2” (1985), and portrayed army oppression in his “Tamgha” (medal) from
the same period. Likewise, Hashmi’s work “In Spite of Wrath,
2” (1987), which depicted faceless females, indicated the situation
of women in the country. Both of these were officially censored.

The earliest incident of censoring visual art in Pakistan , however,
was probably the rejection of Hassan’s painting titled “ My Lai ”, on
the well-known Vietnam War massacre, from the national exhibition
held in 1971 during the reign of another military dictator, General
Yahya Khan. Ostensibly, the painting was not permitted in the
exhibition because it was feared that the US government could be
offended. In reaction, all of the other artists scheduled to take
part in the exhibition threatened to withdraw their own works, thus
forcing the authorities to allow “ My Lai ” in the show. Likewise,
the paintings of Hashmi and Jamila Masood were refused entry in the
national exhibition of 1981, on the reasoning that the former’s work
had ‘political content’, while the latter’s canvas had a face
resembling that of the recently executed Bhutto.

Habitual editing

This kind of censorship ended in August 1988, as Zia’s regime crashed
along with his Hercules aircraft. But today, his policies have two
lasting, visible impacts on the art and culture of Pakistan . First,
they have generated the creation of a small number of private
galleries (initially one in Lahore, two in Karachi and one in
Islamabad), because some artists were unable to exhibit their works
in state-run venues. (A similar phenomenon was witnessed in theatre,
as a parallel theatre scene flourished in private spaces.) If on the
one hand these were venues for artists who could not be shown in
state-controlled spaces, these and other private galleries
(established later) also encouraged a sense of commercialism in
Pakistani art. Hence, freedom of expression and freedom of the market
evolved side by side.

As Zia’s regime continued for 11 years, several groups of artists
tried to protest the state policies. The last generation of
politically conscious and active artists has included Jamal Shah and
Akram Dost Baloch, who, along with a number of others, expressed
their anger against atrocities through images of tortured individuals
and contorted, often naked figures. Interestingly, these artists and
those of the subsequent generation (such as Jamil Baloch and Rashid
Rana) did not have to face serious problems of censorship or refusal
to show their works. From the mid-1990s, after all, art had acquired
a particular status – as precious items that could be collected,
which also bestowed a power that proved stronger than the state
intervention. Due to the rising price of works of art, the activity
of art is today perceived as an important practice in the elitist
world. Paradoxically, this limitation has provided a freedom from
censorship, much like the serving of alcohol and watching banned
movies are possible at Pakistan ’s high-class parties. This new-found
liberty has reduced art into an exclusive pursuit, however, often
removing it from the public arena and interest.

Yet one can conclude that the long decade of Zia’s regime, which
manipulated the concepts of morality and politics, ultimately has had
a devastating effect on art in Pakistan which impacts to this day.
The state no longer imposes strict rules regarding political
subjects, nor is it particularly harsh on issues of morality; but
many artists have imbibed the habit of self-censorship. Before
putting their works to the test of official censorship, they start to
scrutinise and edit their own content, imagery and intention. Hence,
many artists begin their creative process with an already deep-set
notion that nudes or overtly political themes might not be allowed
for display, or that these could cause public anger and state wrath.
Indeed, these ideas are embedded so strongly in the minds of today’s
artists in Pakistan that the state’s reaction of tolerating ‘immoral’
subjects or politically motivated works at times comes as something
of a surprise – rather than being seen as part and parcel to the
creative person’s freedom of expression.

Similar to the story by Valenzuela referred to at the beginning, self-
censorship in post-Zia Pakistan has captured the imagination and
psyche of too many artists. Today, the state in Pakistan no longer
demands that artists follow strict orders – the artists are already
habitually complying with the spirit that would be behind such orders.

(Quddus Mirza is an artist, art teacher, critic and independent
curator based in Lahore .)

o o o

The New Indian Express, 5 October 2009

Editorial

NO COUNTRY FOR ARTISTES

The censor board is not the only institution which decides on the
selection and screening of films in India these days. As the
contretemps over the release of Karan Johar’s new film, Wake up Sid,
in Mumbai shows, street hoods also play the arbiter in these matters.
Thankfully, the problem over it was quickly resolved after Johar
tendered an unqualified apology to Raj Thackeray. Besides, all that
was needed to restore calm was the deletion of the offensive word,
Bombay, and the use of Mumbai instead. The incident demonstrated,
however, the kind of stranglehold which the musclemen of politicians
continue to exercise over the cultural world. Their depredations are
not confined to films alone. As M F Husain’s virtually perpetual
banishment into exile shows, all artistes have to secure their
permission before exhibiting their works.

The hurdle faced by Wake up Sid cannot but recall a similar incident
involving Mani Ratnam’s Bombay. Since the film was about the Bombay
riots of 1992-93, Ratnam not only had to arrange for a special
screening for Bal Thackeray before the release, but also accepted his
order to change a scene where the leader of the Hindu mob was shown
in an apologetic mood after the deaths of innocent people. It wasn’t
a sentiment which had the Shiv Sena chief’s approval.

It isn’t only in Mumbai that the filmmakers have to be extra careful.
The filming of Deepa Mehta’s Water on the plight of widows ran into
trouble in Varanasi following protests by supporters of the BJP and
the VHP, who claimed that they did not want India to be depicted in
an unfavourable light before foreign audiences. Saffronites are not
the only ones, however, who are on the lookout for lapses from what
they consider to be politically correct. The film, Jo Bole So Nihaal,
attracted the ire of Sikh extremists in Punjab and adjoining areas
while the Marxists were deeply unhappy over the filming of City of
Joy in Kolkata.

Nor is it any use blaming only the parochial regional politicians.
The Centre, too, did not allow the BBC to film a serial based on
Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children so as not to offend the Muslims.
After its ban on The Satanic Verses, the step was not unexpected.
Surprisingly, even Sri Lanka withdrew its permission to the BBC crew
to work in the island after an initial agreement. Clearly, artistic
freedom has no place in the vocabulary of the political class.

o o o

SPOOKS WANT GOVT TO BLOCK SKYPE

by Mohua Chatterjee, TNN 3 October 2009 (The Times of India)

New Delhi: Intelligence agencies have asked the government to
consider blocking Skype as operators of the popular global VoIP
(Voice over Internet Protocol) engine are refusing to share the
encryption code that prevents Indian investigators from intercepting
conversations of suspected terrorists.

The Cabinet Committee on Security has accepted the recommendation in
principle but has not set a date for initiating action. The urgency
to track Skype calls stems from the fact that terrorists -- as the
26/11 attacks in Mumbai showed -- are increasingly using VoIP
services. The shift to VoIP has been prompted by the growing ability
of intelligence agencies to intercept mobile and other calls.

Like the BlackBerry service, VoIP operators send their signals under
a specific code which makes it difficult for others to decipher.
Sources said Skype has shared its encryption code with the US, China
and other governments but is refusing to accept similar Indian requests.

Since Skype is not registered here, Indian authorities have been
forced to mull the drastic option of blocking its gateways here.
This, however, may not be entirely effective as Skype can route
traffic through other service providers. The agencies feel blocking
the gateways will at least serve as a signal to local service
providers against carrying traffic from Skype or any other similar
service provider which does not share the encryption code with the
government.

Sections 4 and 5 of the Telegraph Act gives government the right to
grant licence for any kind of telephony and also the right to
intercept. Last year, government amended Section 69 of the
Information Technology Act to empower itself to take over servers of
Net and telecom service providers and demand the encryption code.
This may still be no remedy against recalcitrant overseas service
providers who usually have their servers abroad. Last year, the
government had a similar run-in with Canada's Research in Motion,
BlackBerry makers and service providers, and the UAE-based satphone
operator Thuraya.

Indian agencies are also keeping their fingers crossed, not sure
whether the department of telecom -- with a stake in sectoral growth
-- would like to lean on VoIP service providers on the issue of
sharing encryption code. Besides, there's also a feeling that the
government would be wary of people's response to the snapping of
Skype. The free service is used by a vast majority of urban middle
class Indians for communicating with families and friends spread
across the world.

Last year, TRAI had sent a recommendation (with data from 2007), that
Skype and Goggle should be asked to pay a licence fee, after being
brought within the licence regime. However, government turned it down
saying they were not based in India.

o o o

What steps has Indian govt taken to enable MF Husain to return home?
http://tt.ly/2

_____

[5]  India - Pakistan:

The Tribune

BREAK THE LOGJAM: THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO TALKS
by Kuldip Nayar

As expected, the talks between the Foreign Ministers of India and
Pakistan have turned out to be a fizzle. One could foresee this when
the Foreign Secretaries of the two countries did not go beyond the
26/11 terrorist attacks on Mumbai. Exasperated Pakistan Foreign
Secretary Salman Bashir was not wrong when he said that the
relationship could not be brought to “a standstill because of a trial
or one investigation”.

Yet, public opinion in India is so irritated that any resilience by
Foreign Minister S.M. Krishna from the stand that the 26/11 culprits
must be brought to book before any dialogue would have evoked uproar
and a feeling of let-down. Even otherwise, the Congress-led Manmohan
Singh government could not afford to face any understanding that
would have even remotely concurred with the delay in the 26/11 case,
when the Assembly elections are due in Maharashtra and Haryana.

At the back of Krishna’s mind must also have been the stringent
criticism over the interpretation of a joint statement at Sharm-el-
Sheikh. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, a signatory to the statement
along with Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Reza Gilani, had to explain
to Parliament what he meant by separating terrorism from the talks
was that the 26/11 terrorists should be prosecuted before the
resumption of a composite dialogue. Pakistan was disappointed because
it believed that the talks would no more be dependent on other
differences between the two countries.

Anyone who has followed the India-Pakistan relationship knows how
domestic compulsions on both sides are so strong that the rulers
cannot move forward without treading on somebody’s toes in their
respective country. And the Sharm-el-Sheikh statement has become a
casualty because of that. In fact, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood
Qureshi may have, unwittingly, closed the back channel by offering it
before he met Krishna. These are delicate matters which become a
prestige issue if they have the glare of publicity.

The situation has become more intractable because India’s litmus test
is the extent to which Pakistan is willing to take action against
Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, head of Lashkar-e-Toiba/Jamaat-ud Dawa, who is
considered an arch planner and executer of the 26/11 attacks. Yet,
the dossier against Hafiz Saeed, as Pakistan has said repeatedly, is
not strong enough to get him punished at the court of law. New Delhi,
which sent six dossiers, has reportedly said that it has forwarded
Pakistan enough material to book Hafiz Saeed. Since Islamabad has its
reservations why not make the dossiers public? There is no secrecy
about them. New Delhi has shared them with 16 countries apart from
Pakistan. The people would themselves judge how far Hafiz Saeed is
involved in the charges levelled against him.

The deadlock once again indicates the loss of confidence in each
other. But this is the story of last 62 years. The two countries have
stuck to their positions which feed the ego of their government and
all those who believe that there is no harm in “ignoring an
impossible neighbour”. Such situations, as has been seen in the past,
have only helped the terrorists. They thrive in the atmosphere of non-
rapprochement. And, it is a pity that because of mistrust against
each other, they find local help to sustain their nefarious
activities. Since the patience is exhausted on both sides, one fears
that even a small incident of terrorism may be blown up beyond
proportions to exacerbate the situation still further.

A book, entitled The Clinton Tapes, has rightly pointed out the
casual manner in which Indians and Pakistanis spoke of a nuclear war
scenario. According to the author, “a doomsday nuclear volley would
kill 300 to 500 million Indians while annihilating all 120 million
Pakistanis”.

There is no alternative to the talks. They may well begin with the
26/11 attacks on top of the agenda and go on to other subjects, but
the meeting should be attended by the top military brass and the
intelligence chiefs in both the countries.

They are as much partners to the situation that obtains as
bureaucrats and political leaders. Without Pakistan army’s
participation, the talks would be like Hamlet without the Prince of
Denmark. No doubt, this does dilute the importance of elected
government at Islamabad, but such is the reality in Pakistan. Despite
the numerous acts of omission and commission, the army is fully
rehabilitated in the minds of Pakistanis and they have forgotten the
hard days of General Pervez Musharraf.

New Delhi must realise that the fear of India is one of the big
factors which give shape to Pakistan’s policies. In fact, from day
one, I have heard even in top quarters at Islamabad that India has
not reconciled to the creation of Pakistan. We can argue that there
should be no such fears till the cows come home, but we cannot
completely eliminate that fear.

Foreign Minister Qureshi has claimed after his meeting with the
Indian Foreign Minister that they had discussed Kashmir, water and
other related matters. Although the Indian media has ignored
Qureshi’s press conference, the two-hour meeting would not have been
confined to the 26/11 and Hafiz Saeed, even if the two Foreign
Ministers were discussing the subject threadbare. Even a cursory
discussion on Kashmir or the water issue must have taken place,
giving an insight into the thinking at New Delhi and Islamabad.
Krishna’s observation that the talks had been “candid and useful”
says a lot.

The point to consider for Islamabad is that Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, a staunch supporter of the process to normalise relations with
Pakistan, has said: “The only obstacle is that Pakistan should give
up its old attitude regarding the use of terror as an instrument of
state policy.” How does Pakistan disabuse Manmohan Singh on this
subject?

In the meanwhile, Islamabad would do well to invite an all-party
delegation of Indian MPs to visit the country to see for themselves
that Pakistan was not conspiring against its neighbour. Even
otherwise, the meeting of Indian MPs with their counterparts and
others may provide a key to the lock which does not look like opening.

_____

[6]   India: Stop Militarisation and Violence - Appeals and
Statements by Citizens Groups

APPEAL BY CONCERNED CITIZENS FOR A CEASEFIRE AND PEACE TALKS BETWEEN
GOVT. AND MAOISTS
http://www.sacw.net/article1165.html

2nd October 2009, Gandhi Jayanti

We are deeply concerned that the Government of India might use air
power against its own citizens. We condemn violence in all its forms,
and by all parties, and are of the strong opinion that no resolution
of any issue can be achieved through military means. There must be
dialogue so that the basic issues that affect citizens such as food,
health, education, and employment can be addressed. Above all, there
can be no peace without justice.

We demand a ceasefire between the Government of India, the respective
state governments and the CPI (Maoist), and peace talks. The
Government must initiate talks. The Maoists must respond. We, as
citizens and concerned people are willing to help in whatever way
possible.

Justice Rajendra Sachar, People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL)

Medha Patkar, National Alliance of People’s Movements (NAPM)

Chittaranjan Singh, PUCL Uttar Pradesh

Kavita Srivastava, PUCL Rajasthan

Anil Chaudhury, Peace and Insaf

Bhupinder Singh Rawat, Jan Sangharsh Vahini

Gabrielle Dietrich, NAPM

Nandini Sundar, Campaign for Peace and Justice in Chhattisgarh (CPJC)

Sukla Sen, Ekta (Committee for Communal Amity)

Dr S P Udayakumar, anti-nuclear activist

o o o

http://www.sacw.net/article1166.html

PUCL STATEMENT ON THE FIGHT BETWEEN STATE AND MAOISTS

PUCL watches with pain the fight between security forces and Maoists
in some parts of Chattissgarh.  While it is a clear case of war
against one’s own people by the state, Maoists too with adoption of
violent means of struggle has undermined the liberal and democratic
spirit of the Indian Constitution.  While innocent civilian are
losing lives, the ongoing mindless fight between the two parties is a
clear case of impasse in which there is and will be no winner.

PUCL believes that the Indian state must address the root causes of
the social and economic conditions that breed insurgency like
situation where in a group of people is compelled to take arms
against the state.  Clearly this kind of insurgency breeds because of
violation of basic human rights of the people. The mindless vested
class centric development and consequent displacement and
impoverishment of tribals must stop. The tribals must get adequate
opportunities for means livelihood, education and health.  On the
other hand the Maoist must desist from using violent means of
struggle that causes severe misery and deaths of the tribals on whose
name they unleash the violence in turn harming the hapless innocent
people.  One must bear in mind that in a democratic country the ends
achieved through the violence means are neither desirable nor
lasting.  The only way for a harmonious solution of the present
deadlock is negotiations between the two parties. The Indian
government must reverse its stand of crushing Maoist through military
means and must engage them in a dialogue.

Now that Indian state has captured one of the senior ideologue of the
insurgent groups, PUCL appeals to the government of India that
channels of negations between the two parties must be explored and an
honourable solution to the ongoing violent struggle be sought to the
mutual satisfaction of the both parties. Maoist must also come
forward and negotiate with the government for legitimate rights of
the downtrodden people for whom they supposedly are fighting.

Pushkar Raj
General Secretary, PUCL

o o o

Letter to the Editor, Economic and Political Weekly

‘VICTIMS OF THE HOME MINISTRY’?
  by Anand Chakravarti , Arundhati Roy , Asad Zaidi , K Seshachary ,
Nandini Sundar , and Others
http://www.epw.in/epw/uploads/articles/14029.pdf

o o o

CONDEMN STRONGLY THE MALICIOUS MEDIA TRIAL OF CHHATRADHAR MAHATO!
by Committee For The Release of Political Prisoners
http://www.sacw.net/article1164.html

____

[7] AFGHAN WAR'S BLOWBACK FOR INDIA'S CHILDREN?

by J. Sri Raman (truthout.org,  27 August 2009)

     Children born with abnormally enlarged or small heads,
disproportionately short arms and legs, cerebral palsy, Down
syndrome, and other complications. Increasing instances of
infertility among women. A spurt in cases of lung cancer and
intestinal ulcer.

     Punjab, a state in India bordering Pakistan, has reason to be
concerned about this scary picture emerging from surveys recently
carried out in some of its areas. Not only Punjab, however.

     According to a section of the researchers particularly concerned
with the cases of birth deformities, Punjab may be paying with the
health of its people for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

     More precisely, depleted uranium reportedly used in wars in
these countries may be the cause of the deformities and disorders on
the rise in India's northwestern state, according to a team based in
the city of Faridkot.

     Winds from Afghanistan may have carried to the state a large
quantity of highly toxic uranium, which has contaminated water and
increased uranium in bodies to dangerous levels. This apprehension
was raised at least five months ago by the team of the Baba Farid
Center for Special Children, a nongovernmental organization (NGO),
where some of the affected kids have been undergoing treatment.

     In what would appear to be a scandalously successful cover-up,
the question raised by the team has been kept away from major
headlines in the Indian and international media, with New Delhi
seeing no need even to take cognizance of it.

     In a downplayed report, which the most prominent media did not
consider deserving of better display, Dr. Pritpal Singh, in charge of
the Faridkot clinic, said the number of affected children had risen
"dramatically in the past six or seven years." Operation Enduring
Freedom in Afghanistan was launched on October 7, 2001.

     The use of DU weapons in the Iraq war, started on March 20,
2003, may also have contributed to the tragic drama in Punjab,
according to the team. The radioactive uranium, released in such
cases, gets mixed in soil, air and water within a large radius. Areas
within 1,000 miles from the place where the uranium is released can
get affected. Parts of Iraq close to Iran fall within that distance.
Afghanistan is just over 330 miles away from India's Punjab.

     Evidently, children of Pakistan, which occupies this distance,
have also been exposed to the same danger. So are their counterparts
in areas India adjoining Punjab.

     DU - defined as uranium containing a smaller percentage of
uranium-235 than the 0.7 percent found in natural uranium - has found
several military uses. Because of its high density, it is used in
tank armor, sandwiched between sheets of steel armor plate. It is
also used in armor-piercing, incendiary ammunition. It has also been
used, above all, to destroy bunkers and tanks.

     According to US radiation specialist Leuren Moret, "DU weaponry
largely meets the definition of a weapon of mass destruction (WMD)."
In a newspaper article in 2005, she wrote: "Since 1991, the US has
released the radioactive atomicity (through DU weapons) equivalent of
at least 400,000 Nagasaki bombs into the global atmosphere. That is
10 times the amount released during atmospheric testing which was the
equivalent of 40,000 Hiroshima bombs. The US has permanently
contaminated the global atmosphere with radioactive pollution having
a half-life of 2.5 billion years." She also described DU weapons as
"dirty bombs, dirty missiles and dirty bullets."

     Experts estimate that 1,000 tonnes of uranium is already present
in the Iraq-Iran region and Afghanistan. People from these areas have
been found to have 100 times more uranium in their urine compared to
those from other areas.

     The Faridkot center sent hair samples of 149 children - 116
below the age of 12 - to the laboratory of the Micro Trace Minerals
in Germany in June 2008. The results came back in February 2009. The
samples of children below 12 years revealed 82 percent of uranium and
those of the rest, 87 percent. Singh found the results "astonishing
as there is no atomic plant near Punjab."

     An investigation team of the Observer (London) has just days ago
confirmed the "dramatic rise in birth defects, physical and mental
abnormalities, and cancers" in the state. The team, however, has
linked the uranium contamination to ash from the region's coal-fired
power stations.

     In a phone call with Truthout, Singh stressed that the matter
called for a "scientific inquiry," which the Observer investigation
was not claimed to be. He pointed out that there were complaints of
such consequences from the DU weapons in other places.

     On May 1, 2008, the One Planet program of the BBC World Service
quoted doctors in Kabul and Kandahar saying that the incidence of
birth defects, including premature births and malformations, had
doubled in under two years. Among the malformations were "neural tube
defects and malformation of limbs; for example, the head is smaller
than normal, or the head is larger than normal, or there is a big
mass on the back of the baby."

     Though the George Bush regime protested innocence, the program
cited the Canada-based Uranium Medical Research Center (UMRC) as
saying that the cause might be depleted uranium. In 2002 and 2003,
the center carried out analyses of urine from Afghans. In some, it
found levels of uranium hundreds of times greater than in Gulf War
veterans.

     As for Iraq, shockwaves were sent across the world by
disclosures of a large-scale rise in children's deformities and
deaths in Fallujah after two massive bombing campaigns in 2004. In
November 2005, the Pentagon was forced to admit the use of white
phosphorous and DU ammunition during these campaigns.

     Deafening is the silence of New Delhi on the possible
consequences of the use of DU weapons in a war at India's doorstep.
Does the Bush-built "strategic partnership" on South Asia demand
callous indifference to the plight of deformed and dying children in
Punjab?

A freelance journalist and a peace activist in India, J. Sri Raman is
the author of "Flashpoint" (Common Courage Press, USA). He is a
regular contributor to Truthout.

_____

[8]  Traditional Values / Women's Rights:

(i)  A resolution tabled by Russia seeking to promote “traditional
values” as a basis for human rights passes at the current session of
the UN Human Rights Council

"… Many speakers expressed their opposition to the draft resolution
on traditional values, which was being presented under this agenda
item, saying it was ironic since the Vienna Declaration and Programme
of Action actually imposed upon States a positive obligation to work
towards the elimination of the harmful effects of certain traditional
or customary practices, cultural prejudices and religious extremism?
It was said that the draft resolution did nothing to enhance respect
for human rights, but achieved quite the opposite. It was divisive;
it was polarising; and it sought to affirm a concept often used to
justify human rights violations. This draft resolution did not
acknowledge that many harmful practices, which constituted human
rights violations, were justified by invoking traditional values. It
was feared that this draft resolution would be the start of an
initiative that would undermine international human rights standards."

http://www.siawi.org/article965.html

o o o

(ii)

The Guardian

WOMEN WHO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM

In their struggle, Iranian women share the same quest for truth that
has driven recipients of the Anna Politkovskaya award

by Azar Nafisi

When I first read Anna Politkovskaya, I was almost startled by her no-
nonsense prose, her preoccupation with facts, whether they were about
Russia's crimes in Chechnya or Vladimir Putin and corruption in the
prime minister's regime, brutality and boorishness against Russian
citizens or even the shortcomings of the Russian people whose rights
she so ardently defended. She spared no one, not even her allies. The
poetry of her prose was matched by her passion for truth. Her facts
were lovingly gathered and made to march, leading us to the terrible
truth of the realities she revealed. And it was that single-minded
commitment to truth, and her demand for justice, that made her so
dangerous to the tyrants in her country and inconvenient to leaders
of western democracies.

This love for truth links her to the former recipients of the Raw in
War Anna Politkovskaya award, Natalia Estermirova, and Malalai Joya,
and this year's recipient – to be announced this evening – they come
from different backgrounds and nationalities and speak different
languages, yet they share a universal language that is the basis of
both freedom and justice. Once we know of atrocities we cannot remain
silent, and knowledge inevitably leads to an urge to protect the
innocent. These women have recognised that their own fight for
freedom would be meaningless without empathy for others and that the
best guarantee of their security and freedom lies in a guarantee of
security and freedom of others.

The award is given each year in the spirit of that common humanity,
one for which Politkovskaya and the first recipient of the award in
her name, Estermirova, gave their lives, and in celebrating those
lives while mourning their untimely deaths we have to acknowledge
both their love of truth and their empathy for others.

Women in the country of my birth, Iran, are great examples of the
universality of this urge. For more than 30 years the Islamic regime
and its apologists have tried to dismiss women's struggle in Iran as
part of a western ploy. They claim that the repressive laws against
Iranian women are part of their Islamic and Iranian heritage. Thus
the regime has deprived Iranian women not just of their present
rights, but also of their history and their past. The regime's
victims are not only atheists, secularists, or people of other
religions and faiths, but also Muslims, those whose interpretation of
their religion is based on different principles, those who disagree
with the Islamic Republic's views have been punished and deprived of
their most basic rights.

Those in the west who dismiss the repressiveness of laws against
women in countries like Iran, no matter how benign their intentions,
present a condescending view not just of the religion but also of
women living in Muslim majority countries, as if the desire for
choice and happiness is the monopoly of women in the west. After all,
at the start of the last century in no western democracy did women
have the right to vote. In the US and Europe women were told that
according to the Bible women's place should be at home, blue
stockings were mocked and called unfeminine and women had to throw
themselves in front of king's horses to attract attention to their
plight. Around the same time, women in Egypt, Iran, Turkey and other
Muslim countries were fighting for essentially the same rights. At
the heart of all those struggles then as well as now was the right of
a woman to choose. For Iranian women the issue is not religion, but
the fact that no power, no state should dictate to its citizens how
to worship and connect to their God. Islam, like all other religions,
has many interpretations and it should not be used – in this case
abused – as a political ideology. Women in Iran are proving once more
that human rights recognise no boundaries and are not exclusive to
certain societies. We should be reminded of the Noble laureate Shirin
Ebadi, when she said that she was a Muslim and she believed in human
rights.

Iranian women today have many models from their own past to learn
from. At the start of 20th century an American, Morgan Shuster, in
his book The Strangling of Persia (1912) claimed that Iranian women
in a matter of years had made leaps of centuries and that in some
ways they had been far ahead of their western sisters. At the time of
the Islamic revolution, women had been active in all walks of life,
there were two women ministers, one a minister of women's affairs.
What made Iranian women join the protests against the shah was not a
desire to abdicate the rights they had fought for over a century but
to gain the right to political freedom. Their rights were not
something that a shah had granted to them to be taken away by an
ayatollah. And that is why from the very start Iranian women
protested at the repressive laws imposed by the Islamic regime,
pouring out in hundreds of thousands into the streets shouting that
freedom is neither eastern nor western but global.

The recent events in Iran negate the regime's claims that women in
Iran approve of its repressive laws. For more than 30 years, female
activists have fought to change these laws. Perhaps the best example
of this struggle and its centrality to the fight for pluralism and
democracy in Iran is that of the women working for the One Million
Signatures campaign against Iran's repressive laws. These women,
without using violence or rhetoric, have been struggling for years to
change the laws oppressing women. They have proved that Iranian women
no matter what their beliefs and views share the same plight, that
the laws are as effective against the traditional as they are against
the modern secular women, creating a sense of kinship and solidarity
between women. Iranian women have become canaries in the mines, the
standard against which we can measure the degree of freedom in that
society. The recent demonstrations broke the Islamic regime's
mythology surrounding Iranian women, and forced the world to see them
as they are: vital, various, strong and courageous. It also
demonstrated how central their aspirations are to the democratic
movement in Iran. Now a vibrant and beautiful young girl, Neda Agha-
Soltan, and not the men who rule over Iran has become a symbol of
Iranian people's fight for democracy and pluralism. Her murder, like
those of Politkovskaya and Estermirova, gives the lie to the claims
of those who vainly tried to silence them, and reminds the rest of us
that we neither should or can evade the truth and its consequences.

_____

[9] Announcements:

(i)  Seminar On Police Reforms

A seminar on Police Reforms and Submit citizen letters to the CJI/CM
on Thursday is being organized on 8th October 2009 at 5:00 PM
at Press Club, Mahapalika Marg, Azaad Maidan [Bombay]

Speakers

Y.P. Singh, Ex IPS officer
and Mihir Desai, High Court Advocate & Member Governing Council of ICHRL
and Ms Navaz Kotwal, Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative.
will enlighten us with their knowledge.

Seminar will begin on Schedule and we desire interactive session soon
after.

You all are earnestly invited to participate in this seminar along
with your interested friends.

Debi Goenka
Salil Rameshchandra

S o u t h      A s i a      C i t i z e n s      W i r e
Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. An offshoot of South Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/