SACW | May 9-12, 2009 / Conflict Sri Lanka / Interview: Prachanda, Zardari / India: Polls, Binayak Sen, communalism

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Tue May 12 00:29:34 CDT 2009

South Asia Citizens Wire | May 9-12, 2009 | Dispatch No. 2624 - Year
11 running
From: www.sacw.net

[1] Sri Lanka's 50,000 hostages (Andrew Stroehlein)
[2] Nepal: Interview with Prime Minister Prachanda [Part 1 and 2]
(Siddharth Varadarajan)
[3] Pakistan: The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) for a
crash plan for IDPs
    + Spiegel Interview With Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari
    + Talibanisation of the mind (Babar Sattar)
    + Rethink Corporate Farming in Pakistan (Syed Mohammad Ali)
[4] Bangladesh: Yet another case for repeal of Special Powers Act
(Editorial, New Age)
   + Bangladesh: Madrasas, militancy, and education reform (Mahfuzur
Rahman)
   + Prove innocence in war crime (Chaitanya Chandra Halder and
Shakhawat Liton)
   + Focus back on, 8yrs after (Julfikar Ali Manik)
[5] India:  Election Gas
    +  Lying In Wait - Election is a time of illusions, both for the
rulers and the ruled (Ashok Mitra)
    +  Want Press Coverage? Give Me Some Money (Paul Beckett)
    +  Web site on India's Corrupt Politicians: Bleed India
[6] India: the unacceptable incarceration of a human rights activist
   + No Country for the Brave - The dark heart within the glory of
Indian democracy (Bhaswati Chakravorty)
   + US Committee of Concerned Scientists Calls for Urgent Action to
Free Dr. Binayak Sen
[7] India's Slow and steady communalistion - Right, Left and Center
   + The Hour of The Saints (Meera Nanda)
   + Disturbing Alliance of the Kerala CPM with Communal Forces of
Muslim Right
   + Faith No Bar (Harbans Mukhia)
   + Crossed and Crucified Parivar's War Against Minorities in Orissa
- A report by PUCL Bhubaneswar / Kashipur Solidarity Group)
   + The New Hindu Fundamentalists : A radio documentary by Navdip
Dhariwal
[8] Announcements:
(i) People's Campaigns and Democratic Process: A Conversation with
Nikhil Dey of MKSS (New York, May 12th, 2009)
(ii) Dialogue with Nimalka Fernando (Colombo, 21 May 2009)
(iii) New Publication: Locality, History, Memory: The Making of the
Citizen in South Asia (eds) Rila Mukherjee and M. N. Rajesh

_____

[1] Sri Lanka:

The Guardian, May 11 2009

SRI LANKA'S 50,000 HOSTAGES

The civilians trapped in north-east Sri Lanka are innocent: the Sri
Lankan government must begin treating them as such

by Andrew Stroehlein

The police have the building surrounded. Inside, a dangerous gunman
holds five hostages. The authorities have to decide how to free the
innocent safely when those lives are at the mercy of a desperate and
violent criminal.

Multiply by about 10,000, and you have the situation in north-east
Sri Lanka today.

For months, the Sri Lankan army has been tightening the noose around
the remaining forces of the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil
Eelam (LTTE), pushing them into an ever smaller space. Some 250,000
civilians were initially in that same zone of operations.

But instead of playing the role of professional police trying to save
the lives of those trapped in the building, the Sri Lankan
authorities have let the LTTE draw them into a civilian slaughter
that allows the rebels to act the martyr. Government troops have been
shelling civilian areas and are even using air strikes in areas where
the Tamil Tigers are holding their hostages, using equally lethal
force when they have tried to escape.

In recent weeks, many of those civilians have managed to flee the
immediate conflict zone, but the UN estimates there are still at
least 50,000 left, possibly as many as 100,000. The government
promised in late April it would stop using artillery and other heavy
weapons in the area to keep civilian casualties to a minimum, but
that pledge has been repeatedly broken since then.

The government says the LTTE are holding those people as "human
shields", which is indeed the case, and it claims to want to "rescue
the hostages", which it argues it has done for tens of thousands
already. It is true the Tamil Tigers have imprisoned the very people
they claim to be liberating, and they have acted with horrific
violence against them.

But the government cannot use the "human shields" argument as an
excuse for such extremely high civilian casualties under the
bombardment of its heavy weaponry. Shelling into concentrations of
mixed Tamil Tiger terrorists and civilians flies in the face of the
state's obligations to safeguard non-combatants under international
humanitarian law and may constitute a war crime.

What's more, the government's screening process for those who escape
has been highly chaotic, and no international monitors are present at
the initial checkpoints. In a country known for government-linked
disappearances, the fate of those going through such screening is
cause for deep concern.

Even from its own perspective, Sri Lanka's entire approach is counter-
productive. Showing such callousness to the suffering of Tamil
civilians is not going to sow peace and stability. It is going to
entrench Tamil bitterness and more conflict.

The comparison with the city hostage situation is useful. A modern
and well-trained police force would not shoot wildly and with maximum
force into a building to free the hostages inside. They would call in
experts. They would ask an experienced negotiator to work for the
hostages' safe release and the criminal's peaceful surrender.

In the Sri Lankan situation this would mean direct international
involvement. The Red Cross is on the ground already, but they could
and should be asked to apply their expertise to help with negotiating
safe passage for the trapped civilians and an orderly surrender of
remaining Tamil Tigers in such a way that those fighters have
assurances they will not simply get killed as soon as they put down
their weapons. True, the LTTE have thus far shown no intention of
surrendering, but at least Red Cross presence could make it safer for
more civilians to come out of the zone without permission of their
captors.

Of course, the gunman in this case is driven by extremism and is
unpredictable, particularly given the prospect of inevitable defeat.
It is not impossible to imagine the Tamil Tigers turning on their
hostages and then killing themselves to set out some kind of Masada-
like marker of martyrdom for future generations of Tamil resistance.

But that is still no excuse for shelling areas with high civilian
concentrations. In fact, it is yet another reason to calm the
situation down with expert international engagement. Ratcheting up
the pressure on them at this point is the surest way to make
desperate criminals even more murderous and suicidal. Also, the
government needs to realise that already the large Tamil diaspora
around the world is more and more enraged with every passing day, and
continuing this massacre will only channel their anger, and financial
resources, to future insurgencies.

The Sri Lankan government needs to rethink, and the international
community needs to bring all pressure to bear to get them to do so.
If this were happening on a scale one-ten-thousandth as tragic in any
city, there would be outrage at the authorities' behaviour. For Sri
Lanka, the world's outrage may help it wake up from the nightmare it
is living. Colombo's friends around the world have to shake the
government awake to break the tragic downward spiral of violence it
has caught itself up in.

_____

[2]  Nepal: Interview with Prime Minister Prachanda [Part 1 and 2]

The Hindu
May 11, 2009

‘INDIA SHOULD HAVE DEFENDED CIVILIAN SUPREMACY IN NEPAL’

by Siddharth Varadarajan

Allowing the military chief to prevail today will condemn the country
to a fate similar to Pakistan, says Nepal’s Prime Minister, Prachanda.

In an interview on the circumstances leading to the dismissal of his
country’s army chief and his own subsequent resignation, Prime
Minister Prachanda of Nepal tells The Hindu the Maoists will prefer
to sit in the opposition rather than see the authority of a
democratically elected government undermined.

Excerpts:

Controversy has surrounded your decision to sack General Rookmangad
Katawal as army chief. He had defied civilian authority since
December on the recruitment issue but was going to retire soon. Why
precipitate a political crisis when his tenure was ending anyway?

When the question of recruitment came, we knew what was at stake was
the Comprehensive Peace Agreement and its implementation. So we
discussed the issue within government and also tried to convince
other political parties that this man is trying to challenge civilian
supremacy. That this is a question of principle — either we assert
civilian supremacy or army supremacy will get established. A serious
debate took place with different political parties and ultimately, I
acted because the other major political party in the government
besides the Maoists — the United Marxist-Leninists — agreed to take
action against Katawal. It is only then that I asked some questions
of the army chief and tried to take action against him.

Who were the UML leaders who agreed with this?

Top central leaders like Jhalanath Khanal, Ishwar Pokharel and Bam
Dev Gautam agreed that Katawal is always trying to challenge the
elected government and that this will create a very bad situation in
the coming days and therefore we should take some action. And when
UML leadership agreed, I also discussed with the leadership of the
Madhesi Forum (MJF). They too agreed to go ahead. Today, the MJF is
sticking to its position but the UML reversed itself later on.

In the cabinet, when it became clear that UML was no longer on board,
why did you feel it necessary to go ahead with the dismissal, knowing
it would trigger a major crisis?

Because it is a question of principle, it is a question of making
history in this country. If we surrender to this army chief or to
army supremacy, this will create a very big problem in coming days.
Therefore, we preferred to stand firmly. Even if I should have to
resign from the government, I must establish civilian supremacy in
Nepal.

So you were looking at the experience of Pakistan?

Exactly, we discussed here what happened in Pakistan, and how in
India, civilian supremacy has been established from 1947 up to this
time.

And that is the model you wanted to follow for Nepal?

Exactly, I discussed this question with different political leaders,
that we have to learn from the experience of India in this issue, not
Pakistan.

But India went along with President Ram Baran Yadav’s decision to
rescind the cabinet order and reinstate the general. Did that
disappoint you?

Well, we expected that India would take a consistent position in
favour of civilian supremacy because of its own traditions and
because it had supported the struggle for democracy here. In fact, I
want to make it clear that before taking any action against Katawal,
I told the Indian Ambassador, Rakesh Sood, that if it is possible,
could you please send a message that I want to have a serious
discussion on this issue and if either the foreign secretary or some
other senior person can come here to talk. We knew some confusion is
there between the Maoist-led government and India on this question. I
wanted to settle this issue through interaction and discussion with
high-level officials from Delhi. But unfortunately, the ambassador
informed me that this cannot happen now because the election campaign
is going on, that nobody is there, that it is very difficult.

So you wanted the Indian leadership to be on board before you took
action against Katawal?

Exactly.
But they say you promised you would not act without wide
consultations, and that you didn’t stick to that assurance.

Let me clarify. When the question of this army chief was in debate,
right from the beginning of the recruitment issue last December, I
tried to consult with different stakeholders, even with Indian
officials, that this man is not comfortable with the peace process,
not comfortable with civilian supremacy. And, therefore, I want to
take some action against him. So the debate was there, just after the
recruitment issue came. They said, yes, but it is not good to take
action now, let him go in the natural way. But these negative things
continued. Even then, before taking action, I had said I would
consult with the different political parties. And there were 15 days
of consultations.
Some people say the change in the UML’s position was the result of
Indian pressure. Do you agree?

That would be going too far. Inside UML there was a heavy pressure
for the leadership and maybe some sorts of pressure from Delhi also.
The media is speculating that the Maoists had reached out to Lt.
General Kul Bahadur Khadka, that you wanted him as army chief because
of some understanding. What is the truth?

All these rumours are baseless and completely wrong. We see no
difference between Khadka or Chattra Man Singh Gurung or other
generals. Our concern is with Katawal, who is acting against civilian
supremacy. And we tried to convince other political parties, and even
some members of the international community, that we don’t have any
preference that Khadka should be the next chief. He is second in
command and when we take action against the chief, the second will
naturally come. But we did not have any hidden agenda or hidden
interaction with Khadka.
And there was no plan to give him an extension, since has only a few
weeks to go till retirement?

No. In fact, we made him acting chief. If we wanted to make him chief
in that way for an extended period, we would not have made him only
acting chief in our cabinet decision. So he was to be acting chief
and we were open to discuss about the chief [after his retirement] —
to either make Gurung or some other general. Some people think we are
trying to manipulate Khadka in favour of the Maiosts. These baseless
rumours are meant to confuse the people.

Why was the army recruitment issue so important for you? And what was
the need to deny an extension to the eight brigadiers as recommended
by Gen. Katawal? I am told many of them were highly competent,
professional officers.

It was agreed that there should be no recruitment by the Nepal Army
or Peoples Liberation Army until integration and rehabilitation of
the PLA is complete. In fact, the UN wrote a letter to us saying the
proposed army recruitment should be stopped as it violates the CPA.
After this, we wrote to Katawal saying it should be stopped. But he
defied us. As for the brigadiers, there have been so many instances
in the past when an officer’s tenure ended and extension was not
given. So this time too, in the case of the eight brigadiers who had
reached the end of their tenure, we felt that to address change, to
give opportunity to new officers, we should do this. And not only in
the army but in the police, 10-11 officers were not given extension.
If I don’t give opportunity to new officers, the old status quo will
be maintained, it will not be consistent with the movement for change.

Some of your leaders have said that unless Katawal’s reinstatement is
revoked, the Maoist bloc will not allow the Constituent Assembly to
function. Wouldn’t that be an irresponsible thing to do?

We believe the president should correct his extraconstitutional
action and we are not going to disrupt the CA functioning for the
time being. Previously, the Nepali Congress had disturbed the
functioning of parliament on the issue of the chief and in a
counterattack we are also stopping it because NC taught us to do
these kind of activities! But we are not going to have a continuous
kind of programme like that, we will let the CA function and elect
the government.

So you are not going to stand in the way?

No.

And can you rejoin government?

We will not be part of the government if the president does not
correct his instruction on Katawal.
Could a possible compromise be restoring the status quo ante before
the dismissal but with the CA passing a resolution firmly
establishing the principle that the civilian government alone has the
right to take decisions about the military and not the president?

On the issue of the principle, we will agree with that kind of
proposal. But right now, in the process of forming the government, it
is not possible to form an agreement on that line. We will be in the
opposition in that situation.
Do you feel the Maoists will gain electorally in the future by
staying in the opposition now?

We haven’t thought of the next election, we are thinking about
civilian supremacy. If we go into opposition, it will mainly be for
civilian supremacy. The Maoists struggled hard for a CA when others
were against it, we fought hard for a Republic and now for civilian
supremacy. People will ask why other parties are silent, how come
only the Maoists are fighting for this. The image of the party has
gone up in the hearts and minds of the people. This is our victory.

o o o

The Hindu
May 12, 2009

‘THE PERCEPTION THAT NEPAL IS TILTING TO CHINA IS EXAGGERATED’

by Siddharth Varadarajan

BASELESS: No Chinese delegation came to Nepal on my invitation, says
Prachanda.

Hours after Nepal’s Prime Minister resigned last week on the question
of civilian supremacy over the army, a videotape of a speech he made
to PLA combatants 18 months ago was leaked to the media. The aim was
to discredit Prachanda since the speech showed him boasting about how
the Maoists would eventually take over the Nepal Army. In the second
and concluding part of his interview to The Hindu, the Maoist leader
explains the contents of that speech, his party’s understanding of
army integration and India’s fears about a ‘China tilt’ in Nepali
policy. Excerpts:

Why should the generals and political parties not be afraid of
integrating the Peoples Liberation Army cadres in the Nepal Army? In
your leaked speech of January 2, 2008, you said unit-wise integration
is good because “that way our units will remain with us.” Doesn’t
this formulation create danger of a state within state? If some units
are loyal to one party after integration, this will create a problem,
won’t it?

First of all, we should not compare the integration process with the
January 2008 speech. That was said in very different circumstances.
There was uncertainty about whether elections would be held and I
needed to boost the morale of my cadres. That cannot be compared to
the current situation, after the election and formation of a
government Secondly, as far as I understand the process of
integration, only those cadres who are physically fit should be
integrated in the army. And I think it would be preferable to have
unit-wise integration. This is not because we want to remould the
whole army according to the Maoist understanding. We want to
integrate them. When Maoist cadres are taken [as individuals] into
different battalions of the NA, they will take 3-4 years to be really
integrated because the PLA cadre are not very professional. They are
more political and ideological. And there is necessity of
democratising the NA, because it has not been very democratic in its
functioning and nature. Now, to do this in a planned way, it’s quite
important to have separate units of the PLA coming under the NA’s
direct command. Only then can they be really integrated.

So you don’t expect the former PLA units will remain loyal to your
party after integration in the army?

They must be loyal to the state, to the government. We don’t have any
confusion on this question.

The principle of civilian supremacy over the military cuts both ways.
Tomorrow, a non-Maoist government might feel these former PLA units
or officers are not loyal and may wish to act against them. Would
that be acceptable to you?

Yes, this is acceptable to me. According to the constitution, the
elected government can take action if they challenge civilian
supremacy, if they challenge the decision of the government.

For example, by siding with your party…

Exactly. There is no confusion in my mind.

Your critics say the 30-year service rule is being applied to retire
senior people in different fields as a way for the Maoists to capture
the state.

This is wrong. The 30-year provision was there previously in the
police. And we established it in the armed police and police. But we
do not have the intention to apply it in the army, where the
situation is quite different. Although there was a debate and
discussion on this, I clearly stated my position, even in public,
that in the army, the 30 year issue will not be applicable.

The Shaktikhor video has also created doubts about the size of the
PLA. There you said, “We were at 7,000 to 8,000. If we had reported
that, we would have had 4,000 left after verification. Instead we
claimed 35,000 and now we have 20,000.” Don’t you think this
admission makes the integration process more difficult?

No, I don’t think so

There is a demand for re-verification, for example.

That is not going to happen. We had two kinds of regular forces
during the Peoples War: central and regional forces. Both were PLA
cadres and 35,000 was the combined figure. What I said in the
videotape was about the central force, whose number was 7-8,000 at
that time. The regional forces were near about 25-27,000. During the
peace process, regional and central forces were merged and taken into
cantonments. And they were scaled down to 20,000. In fact, during the
Peoples War, we also had a militia of irregulars, 65-70,000 strong.
We wanted them to be integrated or rehabilitated as well but the
government and all major political parties did not agree because the
state would not be able to handle such a big force. So it was
suggested that this militia should be changed into a political
organization. In this way the Young Communist League (YCL) emerged.

In your interview to The Hindu in April 2008, you said you wanted to
convert the YCL into a development-oriented organisation. But we
haven’t heard much about that, and again, there are allegations of
criminal activities by the YCL.

The YCL has changed from a political to a social and development
organisation. There is also a lot of exaggeration about the
activities of the YCL; all the positive things they are doing in the
development and social sector are not covered by the media. The media
only reports things when something bad is done by an individual
connected to the YCL. And in those incidents where members are
involved, we are taking action against them.

Maoist cadres have targeted the media in the past — there was the
attack on Himal Khabarpatrika, for example. Can you assure us the
party will not tolerate such acts?

We are in favour of freedom of the press. But even in democratic
countries and old democratic parties there will always be some
incidents. In the Himal incident, some of our workers were involved.
But I took the initiative and brought them into police custody.
India played a positive role in the peace process and the
transformation of Nepal to a republic. But now, it appears as if
there is distrust between the Maoist leadership and the Indian
government. Why?

Because there has been a very mechanical and subjective analysis of
the situation by the Indian side. Especially on the question of the
so-called tilt to China. With the Indian political leadership busy
with elections, security and bureaucratic officials are perhaps
driving policy. And a highly exaggerated perception exists about what
is going on here.
Indian officials say a huge number of Chinese delegation have visited
Nepal recently. And they wonder why your defence minister paid a
“secret visit” to China.

This is also baseless. Last year, because of the Tibet situation, the
Chinese side got more sensitive about Tibet-related activities going
on in Nepal. I would like to say clearly that not a single delegation
came to Nepal on my invitation. The initiative came solely from the
Chinese side. As for this “secret visit” of our defence minister,
that was no “secret” at all. It was also not much of a “visit.” Some
of our ministers went to Tatopani near the border during Deepavali.
 From there, they crossed the border and went to Khasa and spent the
night. Everybody from Kathmandu wants to go to Tatopani and sometimes
stay in Khasa to shop.

There are also apprehensions on the updated Nepal-China friendship
treaty being negotiated. Do you intend to hold wider consultations on
this before proceeding?

Time and again I have proposed that we should have continuous
discussion, so that we can clear any confusion. We have a very
specific type of relation with India — an open border, history,
culture. When I was in Delhi, I tried to explain why our relations
are unique. With China, we have our own specific nature of relations
— because of the Himalayan range. One should not confuse this issue.
As for the treaty, there is still so much discussion to be held
between the parties here. Nothing is going to be signed in a hurry.
Certainly, I was not going to sign anything during the trip I had
scheduled to Beijing before this crisis.

The Indian side says the Maoists send mixed signals. When you came to
Delhi, you spoke of 10,000 MW joint hydroelectric projects, an East-
West railway. But at the Kharipati party convention in December,
existing projects like Arun-III were called a manifestation of
“Indian expansionism.”

There is no confusion. I don’t know what kinds of documents India
received from Kharipati. There was serious discussion and debate on
different issues and it is possible someone has seen different
documents and taken them to be the final ones. If there are such
references, in my assessment that was not the final document. There
are different documents and maybe some tendency inside the party [to
look at things that way] but in the final document a more pragmatic
conclusion is there. I stand by my position that the east-west
railway is very important for us, and without India it cannot be
fulfilled. I have talked about the Chisapani project. I am in favour
of having those kinds of megaprojects with India’s cooperation,
although in some issues, like Pancheshwar on the Mahakali, there is
serious confusion among the masses here. Unless we clear this, it is
difficult to go ahead there. But on Karnali, there is no problem from
our side. (Concluded)

_____

[3] Pakistan:

THE HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION OF PAKISTAN FOR A CRASH PLAN FOR IDPS

Press Release, May 07

Lahore: The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has called
upon the federal government to immediately set up a special task
force to implement a crash plan for extending relief to the large
number of people displaced in the ongoing conflict in the country’s
northern part. In a statement issued today, the commission said:

The plight of the people displaced from their homes in Swat, Dir and
Buner as a result of militants’ activities and the security forces’
operations against them is getting more and more serious day by day.
The number of these IDPs may soon touch a million mark. The
circumstances in which these unfortunate people have been forced to
abandon their homes have made it impossible for them to find succour
on their own. Many among them, from barbers and musicians to teachers
and lawyers, lost their means of income weeks and months ago and are
now in dire straits. Their needs for relief are both urgent and
substantial.

HRCP believes the NWFP government’s plan to set up six camps in Swabi
will not touch even a fringe of the problem. The matter is clearly
beyond the provincial government’s means and capacity. The federal
government must take matters into its hands and set up a special task
force manned by people skilled in relief work. Since the number of
IDPs is likely to grow it is necessary to draw up a master plan for
looking after them in the days and weeks ahead. The civil society
organisations also must rise to the occasion and convince the
innocent victims of conflict that they are not going to be abandoned.

Asma Jahangir
Chairperson

o o o

SPIEGEL ONLINE
  05/06/2009

SPIEGEL INTERVIEW WITH PAKISTANI PRESIDENT ASIF ALI ZARDARI
'Nuclear Weapons Are Not Kalashnikovs'

The West is concerned about the stability of Pakistan. SPIEGEL spoke
with President Asif Ali Zardari, 53, about failed peace talks with
the Taliban, the possible whereabouts of Osama bin Laden and the
safety of his country's nuclear arsenal.

SPIEGEL: Mr. President, the Taliban is advancing deeper and deeper
into the heart of Pakistan. Does your army lack the will or the
capability to effectively combat the extremists?

Pakistani army vehicles moving into the Swat Valley in a recent
offensive against the Taliban.
AFP

Pakistani army vehicles moving into the Swat Valley in a recent
offensive against the Taliban.
Zardari: Neither the one nor the other. Swat itself has a particular
nature -- its physical boundaries limit our action and capabilities.
We had a similar situation in Bajaur along the border to Afghanistan.
There, too, we went in with F-16s, tanks, heavy artillery and our
forces. At the time, 800,000 people lived in the region, and 500,000
were displaced by the fighting. What we really wanted, though, was
for the local population to stay and help resist the Taliban on their
land. In the case of Swat, the Taliban used the population as human
shields. A more aggressive offensive would have caused greater
civilian casualties. For us, the concept of a policy of dialogue has
always applied. War is not the solution to every kind of problem.

SPIEGEL: The peace agreement you supported with militant Islamists in
Swat Valley just failed like others before it. The Taliban didn't
give up their arms as agreed to in the deal. Are deals with
extremists a realistic strategy for peace?

Zardari: During negotiations, we try to differentiate between
copycats or criminals and the hardcore. It is an ongoing insurgency
which takes time to finish. We go in with our troops, we talk, we
retreat, we pull back, and then the Taliban goes on a new offensive.
It is a drawn-out issue and there is no encyclopaedia one can turn to
for answers. I would advise you to read about the Afghan wars. It's
the way the Taliban, who are Pashtuns, fight: They take you on and
then they melt into the mountains. And you often can't tell who is
who or what they are up to. These men are like old Indian chiefs in
the US who didn't want to recognize the fact that, by then, they were
ruled by American laws.

SPIEGEL: The chief Taliban negotiator in Swat, Sufi Mohammed, claims
that democracy is opposed to Islam. So what are the foundations for a
treaty?

Zardari: When he refuses to recognize Pakistan's constitution, he is
breaking the terms of the peace deal. That gives our negotiators and
the populace the support they need to take him on. If the deal
doesn't work, then parliament will have to decide on it again. That's
democracy and, as you can see, it works.

SPIEGEL: In the meantime, the army has entered into battle against
the Taliban. Is it not just a bogus operation in order to quiet a
concerned West?

Zardari: It is a large-scale operation. Altogether, more than 100,000
Pakistani troops are operating in the region. Of course we also have
a comprehensive strategy and a plan for reconstruction.

SPIEGEL: The Taliban is increasingly calling on the poor to follow
them and to chase away the landlords and feudal lords. Are the
Islamists in the process of transforming themselves into a social
movement that pits Pakistan's underprivileged against the rich elite,
who have opposed land reform?

Zardari: I don't see that. In regions of the northwest border
provinces, there is no feudalism because there is no land available
that would be sufficient for agriculture -- it is all mountainous
terrain. There are old families and there is a tribal chief system
that relies on tribal laws that has been indigenous for centuries.
The Taliban have superiority of numbers and arms and are more
aggressive, so they sometimes overpower the local authority.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari: "I see no danger of a military
coup."
Zoom
AFP

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari: "I see no danger of a military
coup."
SPIEGEL: Why don't you move some of the troop divisions you have
stationed on the eastern border with India to the northwest border,
where there is clearly a greater need?

Zardari: Both borders are of equal importance. The fact that the
Indians recently increased their troop presence on the border creates
a little concern. We react appropriately and we understand our
country better than outsiders. This year we have already killed many
foreign fighters and even more local attackers. Our opponents have
incurred heavy losses -- this is a serious battle.

SPIEGEL: The Taliban in Swat Valley have invited Osama bin Laden to
live with them and they have offered to protect him from the
Pakistani army and the Americans. What will you do if he accepts
their offer?

Zardari: It would be a great gesture if Osama bin Laden were to come
out into the open in order to give us a chance of catching him. The
question right now is whether he is alive or dead. The Americans have
told me they don't know. They are much better informed and they have
been looking for him for a much longer time. They have got more
equipment, more intelligence, more satellite eavesdropping equipment
and more resources on the ground in Afghanistan, and they say they
have no trace of him. Our own intelligence is of the same opinion.
Presumably, he does not exist anymore, but that has not been confirmed.

Pakistan's embattled border regions.

SPIEGEL: The relationship between the democratic government in
Islamabad and the traditionally dominant army has never been an easy
one. Do you trust your army chief, General Ashfaq Kayani, and the
notorious ISI secret service?

Zardari: It is a trustful working relationship and I am well enough
informed. My party, the Pakistan People's Party, and its allies have
the majority and we will see things through. At the moment I see no
danger of a military coup.

SPIEGEL: Why do you leave the elimination of top terrorists in the
Pakistani tribal areas to the Americans, whose drone attacks are
extremely unpopular amongst the populace? Why don't you handle this
yourselves?

Zardari: If we had the drone technology, then we would. It would be a
plus. We have always said that we don't appreciate the way the
Americans are handling it. We think it is counterproductive. But it
is mostly happening in the border areas between Pakistan and
Afghanistan -- for all intents and purposes no man's land.

SPIEGEL: What are you hoping will happen during your visit with US
President Barack Obama this week?

Zardari: That is a million dollar question. And I am hoping the
answer will be billions of dollars, because that is the kind of money
I need to fix Pakistan's economy. The idea is to request that the
world appreciate the sensitivity of Pakistan and the challenges it
faces and to treat us on par with General Motors, Chrysler and Citibank.

SPIEGEL: The Americans currently view a nuclear-armed Pakistan as the
world's most dangerous country. Your wife, Benazir Bhutto, who was
assassinated by terrorists, feared that your country's nuclear
weapons could fall into the hands of Islamist extremists. Do you
share this fear?

Zardari: If democracy in this country fails, if the world doesn't
help democracy -- then any eventuality is a possibility. But as long
as democracy is there, there is no question of that situation
arising. All your important installations and weaponry are always
under extra security. Nuclear weapons are not Kalashnikovs -- the
technology is complicated, so it is not as if one little Taliban
could come down and press a button. There is no little button. I want
to assure the world that the nuclear capability of Pakistan is in
safe hands.

Interview conducted by Susanne Koelbl

o o o

The News
May 9, 2009

  TALIBANISATION OF THE MIND

by Babar Sattar

Last week a conservative schoolteacher in Rawalpindi hailed a cab to
get to work in the morning. She wore a gown and had covered her head
with a 'dupatta’. A few minutes into the journey the bearded taxi
driver asked her if she was Muslim. She said she was. Then why she
had not covered her head properly, he asked. She responded by
explaining that she ordinarily wears a headscarf, but as she was
running late that day she was unable to put it on. Such hurry could
invite punishment and result in her being dispatched to the hereafter
soon, he retorted. At this point she began to shake with fear and
tried to reach for her cell phone to seek help. He turned back and
grabbed the cell phone. As the taxi had almost reached the school
campus, she insisted that she be let out. The driver obliged, but
left her with a chilling message: if the female staff of the school
failed to observe proper 'pardah’ they would all be sent to God
sooner rather than later. Once out of the taxi, this horror-struck
woman turned back to see if she could note the registration number of
the taxi. The driver was still standing there watching her
menacingly. She rushed into the school.

This is no isolated event. Be it warnings delivered to the medical
community in NWFP to wear shalwar qameez, or edicts issued to music
shops and barbers, or threats communicated to schools, or reports
regarding women being harassed in bazaars and public spaces more
generally, there has been a surge in vigilante action being carried
out by our self-styled moral police. The worst justification for the
Nizam-e-Adl regulation comes from liberals within the ANP and the PPP
claiming that this legislation doesn’t set up a parallel system of
justice, as it is merely procedural law adorned with Islamic
nomenclature. Accepting the demand to 'enforce’ religion legitimizes
the discourse of bigots and their obscurantist project of personally
stepping into God’s shoes to judge fellow Muslims, taking a measure
of their sins and delivering divine justice in this world on God’s
behalf. The growing intolerance that our society is witnessing with
mute horror is fuelled by our odious brand of hypocrisy that
encourages double-speak in the name of protecting and preserving
tradition, culture and religion.

The growing Talibanization of the mind that Kamila Hyat spoke about
in her column this week is a real threat to our fundamental rights
and liberties. Simply put it is bigotry, intolerance, obscurantism
and coercion practiced in the name of religion that feeds on (a) the
fear of change being ushered in by modernity, (b) confusion about the
role of religion in the society, and (c) the failure of the state to
provide for the basic needs of citizens, including means of
subsistence the absence of which renders people desperate and a
balanced education without which they lack the tools to question and
resist extreme intolerant ideas. The message of the Taliban or other
religious bigots can be simple and appealing to a majority of the
population that is deprived of basic needs, disempowered and
consequently disgruntled. The contract between the citizens and the
state is not being honoured by the state and thus the system neither
provides for the basic needs of a majority of the citizens nor offers
them any real prospect for upward social mobility. This problem of
governance is then presented by the maulvi as a consequence of lack
of religion.

America, the big Satan, has mesmerized the elites of this country,
explains the maulvi. These elites, as agents of the devil, have
signed on to modern/western ideas that are taking our society and our
country away from our religion. Our miseries are a consequence of our
sins and God’s vengeance and the solution is a return to a backward
lifestyle that shuns modernity. The appeal of this thesis lies in its
simplicity. We are unhappy with the performance of the state and the
manner in which it is leading to the creation of a predatory society
and crave change. And such change is promised by the maulvi in the
name of religion.

We have never candidly spoken about the desired role of religion in
our country and no sensible distinction has been between the
discourses on what religion is and how it should be practiced. Thus,
whether or not Sharia prescribes 'pardah’ is one question, and
whether the state has a right to enforce 'pardah’ or citizens have a
private right to ensure that others observe 'pardah’ is a separate
question. Because we don’t separate the individual right to freely
practice religion from the debate on what constitutes the legitimate
prescriptions of Islam, an interpretation of Sharia that favours
'pardah’ automatically ends up justifying illegal actions of private
citizens coercing and harassing others to abide by an interpretation
they prefer.

The Constitution of Pakistan holds out the promise of 'enabling’
citizens to order their lives in accordance with the teachings of the
Quran and Sunnah. What the Constitution does is create a right and
not an obligation. Except laws that regulate our collective lives as
a society, that are informed by Islamic injunctions, the Constitution
does not empower the state to 'enforce’ religion in the private lives
of citizens. Should a Muslim choose to order his private life in
accordance with his understanding of the edicts of the Quran and
Sunnah, the state is under an obligation to 'facilitate’ him. And
this individual right to freely practice one’s religion includes the
right not to be goaded into practicing Islam in a manner that one
finds disagreeable. This requires the state and the society to
differentiate between propagation and intimidation. Where propagation
of religion enters the realm of coercion, the right to freely
practice religion becomes a casualty. Thus, the individual right to
practice religion freely can only be meaningful if it protects
against the type of bigotry being practiced by Sufi Mohammad in Swat
or Abdul Aziz in Islamabad.

It is imperative that the distinction between virtue/vice and
legality/illegality in the country be kept alive. The growth and
spread of bigotry in our society is not only blurring the line
between sin and crime, but is also arrogating to private citizens the
ability to enforce an obscurantist moral code – a right that citizens
don’t have even when it comes to enforcing the law. As aforesaid, the
right to practice religion freely in one’s personal life naturally
includes the right not to practice religion, just as the right to
free speech includes the entitlement not to speak at all. Let people
privately judge others for being good or bad Muslims if they so wish.
But such judgment must not be allowed to abridge or fetter the
constitutionally guaranteed rights and liberties of those being
judged. Irrespective of our disagreements over the content and
interpretation of Sharia, all those who value the right to profess
and practice religion freely can rationally agree that 'enforcing’ a
certain brand of Sharia neither falls within the province of the
state, nor is a private right of any citizen or a group of citizens.

Further, within the discourse on the content of Sharia, it is
imperative to resist the propensity of authoritatively determining
whether or not someone is Muslim. Here too, the issue of what Islam
allows and disallows as understood by human agency must be
distinguished from the authority to declare someone a non-Muslim or
oust a Muslim from the circle of Islam. Who are we after all to
appropriate to ourselves the divine right of judgment that God has
reserved for the day of deliverance? The tendency to readily issue
decrees denouncing the faith of fellow Muslims not only makes us more
intolerant, exclusive and fractured as a community, but also confuses
the rationale and the need to act against militant groups. For
example, Sufi Mohammad declares that anyone who doesn’t abide by his
view of Sharia will automatically be ousted from the circle of Islam.
In turn, maulvis opposed to Sufi emphasize that anyone who supports
the Taliban who plan suicide bombings and slaughter Muslims is an
infidel. This discourse is unhelpful. The state and the society need
to strengthen their resolve to act against the Taliban terrorizing
citizens, not because they are infidels or bad Muslims, but because
they are criminals and have usurped the lives and liberties of
compatriots.

Talibanization of the mind is finding room in our society either
because a majority of our population that is religiously inclined
continues to confuse its responsibilities toward God with those
toward fellow citizens or because we are too timid to defend a
lifestyle that might be judged by the religiously inclined. Unless we
shun hypocrisy and stand up to defend a legal and social structure
that allows us to order our private lives freely, in a secular
fashion or in accordance with our own understanding of religion,
freedom of religion will continue to be chipped away and more and
more vigilantes will develop the urge to play God within Pakistan.

o o o

See Also:

RETHINK CORPORATE FARMING IN PAKISTAN
by Syed Mohammad Ali
http://www.sacw.net/article909.html

_____

[4] Bangladesh:

New Age
May 9, 2009

EDITORIAL :  YET ANOTHER CASE FOR REPEAL OF SPECIAL POWERS ACT

IN DECLARING illegal the detention of former deputy speaker of Jatiya
Sangsad and Bangladesh Nationalist Party leader Akhter Hamid Siddiqui
on May 7, the High Court has once again highlighted the tenuous legal
basis of preventive detention under the Special Powers Act, 1974. The
verdict, delivered on habeas corpus writ petition filed by Siddiqui’s
daughter, illustrates what the act, besides being an affront to the
very concept of human rights, really is: a legal nuisance.
    According to a study conducted a few years back, 94 per cent of
preventive detentions made under the act’s coverage were eventually
declared illegal by the High Court. A legal nuisance or not, the
Special Powers Act has regrettably been very popular with the
successive governments – elected or imposed, democratic or
dictatorial – as a legal instrument to harass the opponents in the
political arena and the dissenting voices in society. As a result,
while the mainstream political parties have clamoured for its repeal
when in opposition, they have hardly hesitated to abuse it when in
power.
    Siddiqui’s detention tends to indicate that the Awami League-led
government has decided to take the well-trodden path. It also
bespeaks the government’s intolerance to anything that it deems
critical or damning of its performance. Siddiqui was arrested on
March 21 detained on the basis of a general diary filed the day
before by the officer-in-charge of the Mahadebpur police station
alleging that the former deputy speaker had made ‘seditious’
statement. On March 23 he was placed under a 30-day detention on a
police prayer. On April 7, the government extended his detention by
90 more days.
    As has been reported in the national media, the officer-in-charge
alleged that Siddiqui threatened him with ‘dire consequences’ for
arresting local activists of the BNP and told him that the AL-led
government would be ‘ousted’ in two months and ‘thousands of people
would die’ during the period. Even if the allegation is true, whether
his statements constitute sedition remains debatable. However, what
is worrying is that the government has, through one extension of his
detention after another, treated him as guilty before he was so
proved by a court of law.
    Worryingly still, if a person of Siddiqui’s stature has to
undergo such an ordeal on the basis of a general diary filed by a
police officer, one wonders how horrific it really is for a detainee
who is neither a political leader of consequence nor has the blessing
of the politically or financially powerful people. Little wonder then
that the politically conscious and democratically oriented sections
of society have for years advocated for repeal of the Special Powers
Act that allows the state to impinge on the basic democratic rights
of its citizens.
    The ruling Awami League rode to state power on the wings for its
promise for change in politics as well as in governance. It has also
pledged to make sincere efforts to protect and promote the democratic
rights of the people. Thus far, the government that it leads has
shown little signs of sticking to its promise for change in politics
and governance. One may only hope it will be true to its commitment
to people’s democratic rights in the coming days and repeal such a
draconian piece of legislation as the Special Powers Act.

o o o

The Daily Star
May 8, 2009

BANGLADESH: MADRASAS, MILITANCY, AND EDUCATION REFORM

by Mahfuzur Rahman

IN recent months, there has been a spate of headlines about
activities of Islamist militants all over the country. A veritable
redoubt has been discovered in the south of the country, complete
with training facilities, explosives, arms and ammunition, and even a
moat to make it impregnable. Militant women have been found with
jihadi literature in their possession. There have been reports of
renewed activities by militant groups that had been driven
underground by police action.

As usual, these have raised an alarm. There has been talk of
reforming madrasa education. One important minister has talked about
bringing the traditional madrasas within the ambit of general
education under government supervision. Alarmed at the prospect,
madrasa leaders rushed to meet the prime minister to seek her
assurance of their continued academic autonomy and, perhaps more
significantly, to assure her that they would themselves fight militancy.

And then there has been silence. This is reminiscent of the many
earlier episodes of militant activity, its quick condemnation,
warnings from the government that such activities would not be
tolerated, and finally, a declaration that Islam was a religion of
peace and therefore did not sanction violence. In retrospect, the
latest noises are as meaningless as the ensuing silence is dangerous.

Look closely at two features of the latest reaction to militancy; the
government's wish (as far as it can be guessed from ministerial
pronouncements) to bring madrasa education in line with general
education, and the pledge of the leaders of madrasa education to
fight militancy. Both are seriously short on details; both obscure
great obstacles.

First, there has been talk of introducing "secular" subjects of
general education, such as science and mathematics, into the
curriculum of madrasa education. But, to start with, the indications
are that madrasa leaders will jealously guard against any such move,
except perhaps insofar as the change is only peripheral. If the
proposed changes were radical, madrasas would not be madrasas. Would
they? That has, in fact, been the assertion of these leaders. And
they have a point.

But suppose courses in science and mathematics are introduced, will
that make a difference? It is highly unlikely that it will. Teaching
of elementary science at school level will do nothing to change
attitudes among young minds. The only exceptions are the science of
evolution, and an area of astrophysics that places man in relation to
the unimaginable vastness of the universe. It is hard to imagine that
these areas of science will be favourites in a madrasa curriculum.

The crux of the problem of militancy is the closing of the mind that
much of madrasa education accomplishes. That brings us to the second
reaction to the recent talks about reform; that leaders of madrasas
will themselves fight militancy. It is not at all clear how they
propose to that.
The only effective way to entice young minds away from militancy is
to encourage them to interpret injunctions in the Quran and hadith in
the light of circumstances and the state of human knowledge that are
vastly different from those a millennium and a half ago. Madrasa
leaders must take a lead here. It is highly unlikely that they will.

The more likely scenario is that literalist Islam will dominate the
curriculum. The pledge to fight militancy in that case will surely be
an empty one. It will simply not be enough to tell the students that
Islam is a religion of peace.

Makers of education policy must go far beyond just talking about
reform. Mere tinkering will not do. To begin with, they have to enter
into a serious dialogue with the leaders of madrasa education, asking
them how precisely they wish to fight militancy, given the
considerations briefly mentioned here.
It is also essential to see the entire question of reform of madrasa
education in the context of the constitutional commitment of the
country to establish a truly pluralist society, where all shades of
individual preferences are free to thrive. Leaders of madrsas must
explain how their thinking fits in that context.

If this looks like something that goes way beyond just education
policy, it is because it does. The questions raised by talks of
education reform involve far more than that. The sooner this is
realised the better. The silence that has fallen after the recent
noise about reform portends the danger of the real issues being
shoved under the carpet -- again.

Mahfuzur Rahman is a former United Nations economist and an
occasional contributor to The Daily Star.

o o o

See Also:

The Daily Star, May 12, 2009

PROVE INNOCENCE IN WAR CRIME
Court orders Ghulam Azam, Nizami, Mojahid, SQ Chy, 32 others; asks
why they should not be barred from polls
by Chaitanya Chandra Halder and Shakhawat Liton
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=87823

FOCUS BACK ON, 8YRS AFTER
by Julfikar Ali Manik
Former Jamaat ameer Ghulam Azam stayed out of focus since he
disappeared from open politics of Jamaat-e-Islami eight years ago.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=87828

_____

[5] India : Election illusions - A Democracy

The Telegraph
May 8, 2009

  LYING IN WAIT - Election is a time of illusions, both for the
rulers and the ruled
Cutting Corners - Ashok Mitra

Like birds of prey descending on a pile of far gone carrion,
economists pounce on primary data with even marginal relevance to the
phenomenon known as Indian poverty. They squabble over the definition
of poverty and over methods to measure it. Learned — at least learned-
looking — papers get written, critiques of the papers quickly make
their appearance and are followed by sharp rejoinders.

Notwithstanding such intra-mural goings-on, economists will find it
difficult not to reach unanimity on some basic facts concerning the
state of poverty in the country. For instance, they will all go along
with the suggestion that of the 710 million who make up the national
electorate, around 500 million can be described as poor.

A significant majority of them are also either illiterate or barely
able to sign their names. They are underfed; malnutrition renders
them easy victims of deathly diseases. The opportunities of life,
assumed as normal in democratic societies, are denied to them.

Yet they will vote in substantial numbers this season. They will do
so because that is about the only way for them to assert their
identity. They feel sovereign during the poll season, even if they
exercise this sovereignty at the bidding of others. They vote for the
Nehru-Gandhis because that family is to them the image of lovely
royalty. They vote for the Bharatiya Janata Party because it is going
to usher in the Ram Rajya. They vote for this or that denominational
party because it promises to protect their religious rights, or for
this or that caste or clan leader because he or she happens to be one
of them and has proved the point that somebody springing from their
ranks is capable of giving a bloody nose to the snooty ones. There is
a kind of sense of fulfilment in all this: they may be poor but their
vote counts, eminence comes visiting them at campaign time. They feel
tickled by the experience. They perhaps already know in their marrow
that those making yards and yards of promises while seeking their
votes do not mean a thing. That, too, is a part of their total
experience. The deprived and the dispossessed enjoy this brief
pretence of sovereignty; once the poll day is over, the routine of
grinding poverty, they know, will resume.

Such is the frozen format Indian elections have assumed. The bulk of
those exercising their franchise are at the base; the handful
belonging to the super-structure appropriates the post-poll
dividends. The superstructure comprises men and women who have a
permanent lease on power and authority. Their monopoly is now and
then broken by an outsider who claims to mirror the aspirations of
this caste, sect or minority group. He or she achieves a famous
electoral victory and forces entry into the super-club of rulers.
This club has one striking attribute. It is, to all accounts, a
closed shop, and yet it is not. It fights hard to keep off intruders.
But if someone has the competence to garner votes and barges in,
prejudices are discarded and the erstwhile outsider is made to feel
welcome. Variations punctuate the enactment of this particular drama.
An oddball who, all of a sudden, creates a mass base for himself or
herself can get liquidated through the courtesy of hired assassins,
and a temporary suspension of tension ensues. Or the person
threatening to mar peaceful existence is bribed heavily and persuaded
to lump his ambitions. Or else someone spouting fire and brimstone
gatecrashes into the arena; he or she is persuaded to succumb to the
charms of dual existence: at one level, the person stays loyal to his
or her constituency and offers them crumbs of benefits dispensed by
the State, at another level, he or she reaches a deal with a faction
of the governing elite: the latter’s culture becomes his or her
second nature too.

Burgeoning prosperity at the top of the social ladder has been more
than matched by aggravated discontent at the base. Discontent as such
does not worry those who control the levers of power, its vocal
expression does. The hokum of ‘reservations’ is the standard response
every time a new ethnic or caste-based social group bestirs itself.
The sense of deprivation has an objective basis though. Therefore,
even as economists continue to make a roaring living out of the
polemics over poverty, new generations of caste or minority group
leaders arrive on the scene. It has, in fact, been an impressive
sequence. Leaders of backward classes have been succeeded by those
from other backward classes. The Dalit tigress has made all of them
passé. But there is no warranty that the story will end with her or
that she too will not get tamed and incorporated as a distinguished
member of the seemingly unsinkable governing class entrenched in the
nation’s capital. Even if she falters, the historical narrative will
still be inexorably on its way: a new chieftain will spring from some
remote corner of the country and raise Cain on the ground that his or
her people have been for eternity at the receiving end of ruthless
exploitation.

There is little point in being dogmatic, a kink could well disturb
the smoothness of this process of flexible exclusivity. Should the
descendants or the original inhabitants of the country, the adivasis,
who have of late begun to describe themselves as moolvasis, refuse to
learn manners, the narrative might get complicated. In the Northeast,
where ethnic issues reared their head much earlier than elsewhere,
New Delhi’s establishment had honed the practice of wholesale buying
of mischief-makers. It worked; yesterday’s rebels became today’s
lapdogs. The pattern has not been much different, till now, in the
tracts of Aryavarta either. The likes of Shibu Soren have for a while
spit fire, some arson and some murders have taken place, but the
troublesome elements have been successfully bought off in the final
round.

A fresh flutter in the dovecotes. What marks out the Maoists
currently on the rampage in the heartland of the country is their
elusiveness. Why not also face the datum, 60-odd years of
independence have immiserized the adivasis further. Industrial and
commercial growth, mostly under private auspices, has passed them by.
They have been ill-served by self-styled leaders too. Many of them
are now in a foul mood. They could not care less if Mao’s Red Book is
generally regarded everywhere as an outdated scripture. They have
written their own script, and set up a network of internal
communications despite their location in far-flung states. They have
taken to guns and landmines as a duck takes to water: Mao’s
invocation was to bombard the headquarters; India’s Maoists have
transcreated it: their objective is to scare the daylights out of the
ruling establishment.

This may be a temporary situation, or it may be not. The Maoists have
targeted the polling booths, because, according to them, the charade
of parliamentary democracy is intended to divert the moolvasi mind
away from the real issues. The usurpers, who have taken their land
and livelihood, deserve to be exterminated; it is only when that task
has been accomplished and they have repossessed what is rightfully
theirs, it would be time for reconstruction; as of now, the basic
task is to spread terror, to destroy is to create.

This perhaps sounds wretchedly imbecilic. But you cannot demolish it
by mounting counter-terror. The butcher of a policeman could apply
brutal methods and get rid of Bhindranwale’s leftover disciples
because the Khalistani rhetoric had little objective basis. This is
hardly the case with the original inhabitants of this land.

Election time can be illusory time. The moolvasis are waiting.

o o o

See Also:

WANT PRESS COVERAGE? GIVE ME SOME MONEY
by Paul Beckett (Wall Street Journal, May 6, 2009)
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124158152250690795.html

BLEED INDIA
http://www.bleedindia.com/

______

[6] India Must Free Binayak Sen:

NO COUNTRY FOR THE BRAVE
The dark heart within the glory of Indian democracy
by Bhaswati Chakravorty (The Telegraph, May 12, 2009)
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090512/jsp/opinion/story_10947804.jsp

(also at: http://www.freebinayaksen.org/?p=274)

USA: COMMITTEE OF CONCERNED SCIENTISTS CALLS FOR URGENT ACTION TO
FREE DR. BINAYAK SEN
http://www.freebinayaksen.org/?p=273

______

[7]  India's slow and steady Communalisation :  Right, left and center

The Telegraph
May 12, 2009

THE HOUR OF THE SAINTS
Election 2009 will be remembered as the first serious attempt by the
BJP to create a Hindu vote bank, writes Meera Nanda

The Bharatiya Janata Party has worked hard to create the impression
that it is not pursuing an aggressive Hindutva agenda in the 2009 Lok
Sabha elections. It has made good governance, development and
security its election plank, and has promised to give us a “majboot
neta, nirnayak sarkar”. Old Hindutva favourites like the Ram temple,
Ram Setu and the much- beloved ‘cow and its progeny’ do make an
appearance in the party’s manifesto, but they are clubbed together
under the unobjectionable idea of “preserving our cultural heritage”
and tacked at the very end.

But like a leopard that cannot change its spots, the saffron party
cannot turn saffron, green and white without losing its very reason
for being. The truth is that in this election, the BJP has pursued a
Hindu agenda which, in the long run, may prove to be far more radical
than the hot-button issues that we are all familiar with. The new
agenda can at best be described as the hindukaran of voters, that is,
making voters vote as Hindus First.

The work of hindukaran is more subtle than the in-your-face Ram
temple agitation of the 1990s. It is taking place through yagnas,
kathas and yogashivirs held in temples, ashrams and through public
meetings that are often presided over by popular and supposedly
apolitical gurus and ‘saints’ whose spiritual discourses could well
be lifted out of the writings of the sangh parivar. In many of these
meetings, people are urged to take an oath to vote for the party that
takes care of ‘Hindu interests’. This is not very different from what
happened in the United States of America in 2000 and in 2004 when
evangelical preachers used their pulpits to urge their congregations
to vote for the party of “traditional values,” whose representative
was none other than George W. Bush.

No one can predict just yet if this so-called Hindu vote bank will
come through for the BJP. But whatever the outcome, Election 2009
will be remembered as the first time when a serious coordinated
attempt was made to create a Hindu vote bank. It is important,
therefore, to create a public record of this phenomenon.

A good place to start would be the letter L.K. Advani wrote to a
thousand sadhu-sants within days of the release of the BJP’s election
manifesto. While the manifesto is lukewarm towards Hindutva, Advani’s
letter lays out the red carpet for the saints to come marching
straight into the government. His letter promises to establish a
permanent institutional mechanism to enable holy men and women “guide
politics, governance and other national affairs by the lofty ideals
as enshrined in the concept of Ram Rajya”. In addition, Advani
reaffirmed the promises made in the manifesto, namely, cleaning the
Ganga, protecting the Ram Setu and the cows, promoting spiritual
tourism, and giving tax-exemption to dharmic activities. So while the
party promised good governance to the yuppie “Friends of the BJP,” it
offered faith-based governance to its more traditional constituency.

Who are these raj gurus-in-waiting whom the BJP is so eagerly
courting? What role are they being asked to play in electoral
politics? This is where the plot begins to thicken.

The sadhu-sants who received Advani’s pledge of allegiance were
chosen from a hand-picked list put together by the Vishwa Hindu
Parishad. While the complete list remains a secret, there is
speculation that Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and Swami Ramdev have received
the letter, as did many other members of the Dharma Raksha Manch, a
VHP-managed forum, which held its inaugural meeting in January 2009
in Mumbai.

The Dharma Raksha Manch is the culmination of the VHP’s dream of
converting the vast majority of religious-minded Hindus into a Hindu
vote bank. The idea was first put forward by Swami Chinmayananda in
the 1980s. Later, it was taken up enthusiastically by Praveen
Togadia, the current general secretary of the VHP.

The creation of a Hindu vote bank required a two-step action plan,
which was hammered out in the various dharam sansads held over the
last five years or so. The first step was to put forth a Hindu
Charter of demands and get a political party to formally accept it.
The second step called for organizing grassroot campaigns in which at
least 50,000 voters in each Lok Sabha constituency were to take an
oath to vote for only that party that accepts the Hindu Charter. The
action plan also called for unleashing the power of popular gurus and
kathakars, who have a mass following among the moderate middle
classes, who may be turned off by communal issues but may still be
mobilized to vote for “Hindu interests”.

The sangh parivar has executed this plan to the very last dot in this
election. In late January, the VHP and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak
Sangh organized the Dharma Raksha Manch in Mumbai which gave the
pride of place to a number of popular gurus. In March, the Dharma
Raksha Manch came out with an 11-point Hindu Charter. Within days,
the BJP announced that it had included all the 11 demands in its
manifesto. This was followed by Advani’s fawning letter to the sadhu-
sants.

All this set the stage for the Step Two. The VHP’s Ashok Singhal
declared that since the BJP is the only party that has accepted the
demands of the saints, the saints will henceforth “educate the voters
by touring even the remote villages to vote for the BJP”. And that is
precisely what the saints have been doing, especially in the
communally sensitive areas of Karnataka and Orissa. In mid-March,
Mangalore, the home-turf of the Sri Ram Sena, witnessed a huge
samajotsva (social festival) organized by the Dharma Raksha Vedike
with full support from the state where participants were asked to
take an oath to only vote for pro-Hindu candidates/party. As the
elections approached and public rallies became difficult to organize,
oath-taking moved inside temples: at least 100 yagnas were organized
by temples all across the state where the presiding priests
administered the oath to vote as Hindus. Yagnas were also the ritual
of choice for Ashok Sahu in Orissa, the BJP’s candidate for
Kandhamal, the site of anti-Christian riots last year.For their part,
the supposedly apolitical gurus have been on the same page as the
Dharma Raksha Manch. These gurus with mass appeal have been a major
conduit for mainstreaming the Hindutva agenda.

How effective has been this strategy of hindukaran? We will know the
answer shortly when the elections results are out.
Meera Nanda’s book, God Market: How Globalization is Making India
More Hindu, will be published later this year

[The above article is also available at: http://www.sacw.net/
article911.html ]

o o o

Express Buzz

COMBATING MINORITY COMMUNALISM

Express News Service

Thiruvananthapuram: Money, especially Gulf money, is the driving
force behind the unholy nexus between mainstream political parties
and minority communal organisations, Teesta Setalvad, human rights
activist and co-editor of ‘Communalism Combat’, has observed.

  Addressing a meet-the-press programme organised by Kesari Memorial
Journalists Trust on Sunday, Teesta said that it was highly
disturbing to see the LDF clinching an alliance with PDP and the UDF
with NDF in the Lok Sabha polls.

  ``We were closely watching the activities of NDF, PDP and similar
organisations. When the CPM calls Jama’at-e-Islami a cultural
organisation, it is no different than the claim of RSS that it is a
cultural organisation,’’ she said.

  Teesta said Jama’at has two different organisations, one for India
and the other for Kashmir. ``Do they think Kashmir is not a part of
India?’’ she asked.

  When asked about CPM dropping its values and going ahead with the
PDP alliance, Teesta replied that they had lost the moral authority
to speak about communalism by doing so. ``Minority communalism is
equally dangerous because it breeds majority communalism,’’ she said.

  Regarding the recent Supreme Court orders on the Gujarat riot
cases, Teesta said that there had been years of hard work by some
good human beings behind that. ``The base petition of Lakia Jafry
that prompted the SC to deliver an order to inquire into Modi’s role
was supported by 63 affidavits from police officers. There are 1,000
charges against Modi himself as per this petition,’’ she said.

  When asked whether she was happy over the decision of the Supreme
Court to try 10 cases in Gujarat itself, Teesta said it would have
been ideal if all cases were tried outside Gujarat. ``But, the SC has
taken the decision based on several factors, including logistics.
These cases involve 2,000 witnesses and 3,000 accused. Language is
also a problem,’’ she said.

  According to Teesta, the SC has tried to restore a responsible
judiciary in Gujarat by doing so. ``By trying the Bilkis Banu and
Best Bakery cases outside Gujarat, the SC sent a strong signal. Now,
the Gujarat courts have to try the cases properly,’’ she said.

  For Teesta and team, a Herculean task is ahead. Trial of ten more
crucial cases means they have to protect hundreds of victims and save
them from hidden pressures and provocations.
o o o

see also:

FAITH NO BAR
by Harbans Mukhia
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2009/05/faith-no-bar.html

CROSSED AND CRUCIFIED PARIVAR'S WAR AGAINST MINORITIES IN ORISSA
A report by PUCL Bhubaneswar and Kashipur Solidarity Group, Delhi
April 2009
http://www.sacw.net/article910.html

THE NEW HINDU FUNDAMENTALISTS : A RADIO DOCUMENTARY BY NAVDIP DHARIWAL
Listen to the program
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k3zzd

______

[8] Announcements:

People's Campaigns and Democratic Process: Struggles for
Transparency, Accountability and Livelihood Security in India

  A Conversation with Nikhil Dey of MKSS

May 12th, 2009

Room 9206-07
Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue [New York]
(between 34th and 35th)

  6:30-9 pm

Organized by Center for Place, Culture and Politics and MKSS

        Nikhil Dey is one of the founders of the Mazdoor Kisan Shakti
Sangathan (MKSS; Collective for the Empowerment of Peasants and
Workers), a rural collective of peasants and workers from Rajasthan
(north western state of India) that has fundamentally challenged the
state and democratic process in Rajasthan and across India with its
paradigmatic work on issues of transparency in governance and the
accountability of the state. The Right to Information movement
pioneered by the MKSS has led to one of the most progressive
legislations in the world in 2005 on the transparency and
accountability of the state in India, and the MKSS has also played a
crucial role in the Right to Food and Employment Guarantee campaigns
in the country. The Right to Food campaign has led to the enactment
of several progressive orders through a Public Interest Litigation in
the Supreme Court of India and the Employment Guarantee Campaign also
resulted in a Central (Federal) law in the country in 2005 for rural
workers- the provision of employment worth around a billion dollars
in 2008-09 through this Act has helped shield the poorest people in
rural India from the effects of the global financial crisis. In the
overall global scenario of privatization and state cut-backs in much
of the global South, aka neoliberalization, these have been some of
the most significant victories of people's campaigns in India in
recent times.

        Nikhil Dey began organising in rural Rajasthan in his early
20s in the 80s and went on to found MKSS with other similarly
committed activists in 1990. He is also a founder of the National
Campaign for the People's Right to Information in India (1996). The
MKSS is a non-registered collective that takes no institutional
support and calls itself a non-party political process (all its
activists earn the state's minimum wage of a little less than $2/ day
now, funded only through individual contributions of members and
supporters).

        Join us for a conversation on democratic process in India,
where people's campaigns composed primarily of peasants and workers
have articulated and conceived the Right to Information, Right to
Food and the Right to Employment Guarantee and linked it with the
Right to Life and Livelihood through their daily struggles against
poverty and entrenched corruption. These campaigns have not only
successfully sought legal entitlements through the Indian Parliament
and the Supreme Court, but continue to strive for effective
implementation of these laws and are fostering vitally growing
processes of democratic participation and decision making across the
country today.

- - -

(ii)

LST FORUM

UN Durban Review Conference on Racism

Dialogue with Nimalka Fernando
President, International Movement Against All Forms of Discrimination
and Racism (IMADR)

Thursday 21 May 2009

5pm @

3, Kynsey Terrace, Colombo 08

- - -

(iii) Just Published

http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Locality--History--Memory--The-Making-of-
the-Citizen-in-South-Asia1-4438-0188-7.htm

LOCALITY, HISTORY, MEMORY: THE MAKING OF THE CITIZEN IN SOUTH ASIA
Editor: Rila Mukherjee and M. N. Rajesh
Date Of Publication: Feb 2009
Isbn13: 978-1-4438-0188-1
Isbn: 1-4438-0188-7
Locality, History, Memory: The Making of the Citizen in South Asia
was born out of the need to interrogate the tropes through which
place, history and memory underpin notions of citizenship in present
Southasia.

Time as both time present and time past is framed here in two
settings: as privileging both place (material or ideological site)
and space. The latter refers to religion, oppression, marginalization
and/or dalitisation. Time transcends both site/location and actual
physical boundaries. Locality or location is therefore envisioned in
terms of both actual place as well as a gateway to a larger space, in
terms of a situation where historical memory negotiates the
increasingly complex present. Agency and contingency therefore assume
a critical importance here.

Citizenship, far from being a discrete entity, is found to be
multidimensional: it refers to formal status and the legal status of
nationality and citizenship authenticated in the passport, but it
also refers to rights and privileges; identity and solidarity,
religious beliefs and a sense of belonging. Moving away from the role
of the state, which has been at the centre of all inquiries on
citizenship, we ask here the following questions in Locality,
History, Memory: How does our history enforce or dilute the notion of
the citizen? How far does memory strengthen or weaken it? What role
does features not normally associated with citizenship such as access
to natural resources, or ritual, faith and religion play in
reinforcing such a status?

History in the end is written by the historian and it was easy to map
the changing methodologies used by the historians to essay the past
but this is becoming increasingly difficult now. Another twist is the
shift to hypertext at a popular level echoing what the late E H Carr
had once called ‘bringing more and more people into history’. These
so called alternative histories or people’s histories are becoming
more and more popular because of the point at which we are located in
time. Moreover, devices afforded by the new media enable these
alternative histories to have an immediacy that the conventional
historical format lacked. The collapse of state control over the new
media has led to the resurgence of many archaic voices unimaginable
just a decade ago.

Rila Mukherjee is Professor of History at the University of
Hyderabad, India. She did her doctoral dissertation at the
E.H.E.S.S., Paris.

M.N. Rajesh is Lecturer in History at the University of Hyderabad,
India and obtained his PhD. Degree from School of International
Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.

South Asia Citizens Wire
Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. An offshoot of South Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/