SACW | Dec 13-15, 2008 / After Mumbai: Pakistan - India relations (Pervez Hoodbhoy, Arundhati Roy, Jawed Naqvi, Kaiser Bengali ...)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 03:21:47 CST 2008

South Asia Citizens Wire | December 13-15, 2008 | Dispatch No. 2591 -
Year 11 running
From: www.sacw.net

[1] The Mumbai Massacre and Pakistan’s New Nightmares: An Interview
of Pervez Hoodbhoy  (Christina Otten)
[2] September is not November - Mumbai was not our 9/11 (Arundhati Roy)
[3] Stepping away from the brink (Abbas Rashid)
[4] India: Mumbai attack could be as much Oklahoma City as it was
9/11 (Jawed Naqvi)
[5] Beyond conspiracy theories (Kaiser Bengali)
[6] ‘The Media Can Provoke War’ - Pakistani journalist Imtiaz Alam
tells Tusha Mitta
[7] One side of the story (Ammar Ali Jan)
[8] Mumbai is Not India’s 9/11 (CERAS)
[9] Hawks causing huge collateral damage to people to people contact
  - Protest rally against presence of Pak actors in Mumbai tomorrow
  - Pakistan stops Ghulam Ali from flying to India
  - Pakistan: first casualty, people-to-people contact (Nirupama
Subramanian)
  - India-Pakistan Tensions Cast Cloud Over Cricket Matches (Rama
Lakshmi)
[10] December 13, seven years on (Shekhar Gupta)
[11] Dancing girls of Lahore strike over 'Taliban' law (Patrick
Cockburn and Issam Ahmed)
[12] No More Hindutva Terrorism”: Mumbai Attack shifts the debate
(Jamia Teachers Solidarity Group)
[13] Amaresh Mishra’s web of lies (Teesta Setalvad)
[14]  Announcements:
(i) After Mumbai, Which Way Forward? A Public Dialogue (New York, 15
December 2008)
(ii) Film screening - 'Forced to Marry' and a conversation with
Producer/Director Ruhi Hamid (Karachi, 16 December 2008)
(iii) 'Day for Women's Dignity' : programme (New Delhi 17 December 2008)
(iv) Professor I. K. Shukla Memorial Meeting (New Delhi, 20 December
2008)

sacw.net,

THE MUMBAI MASSACRE AND PAKISTAN’S NEW NIGHTMARES: AN INTERVIEW OF
PERVEZ HOODBHOY

by Christina Otten for FOCUS Online

( original text of interview in English for FOCUS )

Christina Otten - FOCUS: Tensions between Pakistan and India have
been growing after the Mumbai attacks. Are we close to a military
escalation?

Pervez Hoodbhoy: In spite of vociferous demands by the Indian public,
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government has withstood the pressure
to conduct cross-border strikes into Pakistan. Correspondingly, in
spite of the bitter criticism by Islamic parties, Pakistan’s
government has moved against the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (LeT), the
jihadist organization that is almost certainly behind the attacks.
For now, the tension has eased somewhat but another attack could push
India over the fence.
[. . .]
FULL TEXT AT: http://www.sacw.net/article407.html

The Guardian, 12 December 2008

MUMBAI WAS NOT OUR 9/11

by Arundhati Roy

We’ve forfeited the rights to our own tragedies. As the carnage in
Mumbai raged on, day after horrible day, our 24-hour news channels
informed us that we were watching "India’s 9/11". Like actors in a
Bollywood rip-off of an old Hollywood film, we’re expected to play
our parts and say our lines, even though we know it’s all been said
and done before.

As tension in the region builds, US Senator John McCain has warned
Pakistan that if it didn’t act fast to arrest the "Bad Guys" he had
personal information that India would launch air strikes on
"terrorist camps" in Pakistan and that Washington could do nothing
because Mumbai was India’s 9/11.

But November isn’t September, 2008 isn’t 2001, Pakistan isn’t
Afghanistan and India isn’t America. So perhaps we should reclaim our
tragedy and pick through the debris with our own brains and our own
broken hearts so that we can arrive at our own conclusions.
[. . .]
FULL TEXT AT: http://www.sacw.net/article404.html

Daily Times,
December 13, 2008

STEPPING AWAY FROM THE BRINK

by Abbas Rashid

If the Pakistani government is destabilised or undermined as a result
of Indian tactics, the forces of militancy and extremism will not
only get greater space in Pakistan, India too will end up facing a
bigger problem

A fortnight after the Mumbai attacks that killed over 170 people and
injured many more, Pakistan remains under pressure to do more to
apprehend groups accused of playing a key role in the operation.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has referred to Pakistan as the
epicentre of terrorism and has insisted that the international
community ensure the dismantling of the ‘infrastructure of terrorism’
in Pakistan.

The accusation is particularly directed at the Lashkar-e Tayba (LeT),
the banned group that is seen as having taken the form of, or
subsumed under, the Jama’at-ud Dawa (JD), also led by the former head
of LeT, Hafiz Mohammad Saeed. The Indian media has by and large
weighed in with considerable hype more likely to inflame popular
sentiment rather than promote reasoned discussion. At the same time,
the temperature has also been raised by media reports that the
defence forces of both countries have been put in a state of
heightened preparedness.

In an encouraging sign, Indian External Affairs Minister Pranab
Mukherjee told Parliament on Thursday that attacking Pakistan to
‘avenge the Mumbai terror attacks is no solution’. However, this
statement was accompanied by the demand that Pakistan hand over no
less than forty people that India believes are behind the terror
attacks.

Whatever the merit of such a demand, the government would risk a
serious domestic backlash going though with it without unimpeachable
proof of guilt being provided. Meanwhile Pakistan has sought the
custody of Lt-Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit, allegedly involved in the
Samjhota Express attack.

Among other things, we need to keep in mind that the Mumbai attacks
also had the effect of reliving pressure on the Far Right extremist
groups in India who appear to have supporters in the Indian armed
forces as well, going by Purohit’s suspected involvement in the
Samjhota Express attack. Similarly, it is extremist groups operating
in the vicinity of Pakistan’s western border that have the most to
gain from heightened tensions on the eastern border with India.
Instead of more forces being moved west, as many advocate, to
consolidate whatever gains have been made, this would have the
opposite effect of relieving pressure on these groups.

Certainly, one key aspect of the issue then is whether Pakistan and
India should cede a kind of veto to these groups over the peace
process between the two countries.

The Pakistan leadership has repeatedly affirmed its commitment to
cooperate in apprehending the perpetrators of the Mumbai massacre and
bringing them to justice. A number of JD members have been picked up
from Azad Kashmir and its leader Hafiz Muhammad Saeed has been put
under house arrest.

There is also now a broader context to this focus. A Security Council
panel late Wednesday declared Jama’at-ud Dawa a terrorist group
subject to UN sanctions, including an asset freeze, travel ban and
arms embargo. Now that authorities in Pakistan are moving against
those identified by India and the international community, it would
be far better to help in making this process more effective by
sharing relevant intelligence, for instance.

Meanwhile, we cannot afford to lose sight of the peace process. Not
least because, as the Indian external affairs minister has indicated,
war is not an option. Given Pakistan’s many and widely known problems
at this juncture, it seems that the Indian government regards this as
an appropriate time to put maximum pressure on Pakistan. But if the
government is destabilised or undermined as a result of Indian
tactics, the forces of militancy and extremism will not only get
greater space in Pakistan, India too will end up facing a bigger
problem.

Pakistan must proceed with doing what it should have done much
earlier, i.e., reorganise its forces and intelligence services to
deal effectively with the greatest challenge to its integrity as a
nation-state, which comes from within. This is not something that we
should be doing at the behest of India or the United States, or any
other country for that matter, but in our own national interest.

And certainly it poses a threat to our integrity if groups are found
putting us in a position of vulnerability by using our territory as a
launch pad to attack another country, whether on one border or the
other. As President Zardari is reported to have told the most recent
in a long line of visitors from the US, Deputy Secretary of State
John Negroponte, “The government is undertaking its own investigation
of the incident and taking appropriate measures.”

At the same time, India needs to work with Pakistan to restore the
peace process and to get the scheduled meetings back on track. The
two countries have also in this tragedy had the opportunity to see
how fragile this process remains after all the years of confidence
building measures that have gone into it.

Both countries must go back with renewed vigour into resolving the
issues that have been held up for years not only because of their
complexity but more due to the absence of political will. Sir Creek
and Siachen are two such issues. The groundwork for settling both is
pretty much in place and it would be a fitting response to the terror
unleashed in Mumbai last month if the two governments move for their
resolution in 2009, as well as embarking on a credible initiative on
Kashmir.

____

[4]

Dawn
December 8, 2008

MUMBAI ATTACK COULD BE AS MUCH OKLAHOMA CITY AS IT WAS 9/11

By Jawed Naqvi

THE Mumbai attacks have opened a season of rare confabulations among
Indian Muslims, but these cannot be described as introspective. Let
me explain why. Every other day there are invitations on the mobile
phone or email by Muslim groups or individuals to join their
discussions. I haven’t been to one yet, but their cogitations have so
far produced band-aid to cover a deep gash.

And TV channels are deriving easy pleasure from the fulminations. A
few channels showed a typical scoop in motion at the expense of the
image of Indian Muslims. For example, they repeatedly telecast sound
bites of a mullah in Mumbai who seemed so outraged because the
terrorists were Muslims that he refused to have them buried in the
community’s cemetery.

Having thus declared this witless cleric as a model Indian Muslim,
the channels didn’t feel the need to inform us what then became of
the bodies of the gunmen. Their titillation over, the anchors
couldn’t care less if by showing an ignorant man’s rant they had
applauded the travesty of a civil society. They should know that no
Constitution, other than perhaps the Taliban’s, endorses the abuse of
dead bodies. The henna-haired mullah needs to be made aware of this.

In this moment of national grief let’s not turn sorrow into
vaudeville of jingoists. It’s not patriotic to deny terrorists a
quiet burial, and the din over it most certainly doesn’t solve the
problem at hand – of isolating and arresting the growth of mindless
killers. Bury those boys somewhere in unmarked graves and let them
rest there so that we can move on to more urgent firefighting. Don’t
provoke silly comments and pass them on as patriotic.

The other symbolic gesture that Delhi’s Muslim “leaders” have
reportedly agreed to is to wear a black armband on Eidul Azha to mark
their anguish at the carnage in Mumbai. Nothing could be more
cosmetic, meaningless and distractive than to make the token
observation.

This is a bizarre world of assertive commerce. The first thing that
TV channels were keen to bring into the frame even though the terror
attacks were on in full cry was to worry about the Bombay Stock
Exchange and when it would open. Let’s assume that was a justified
pursuit. The prompt reopening of the Leopold café, the first to bear
the brunt of the killing spree, was in fact truly heart warming. It
reflected the owner’s grit and a practical mind. Then the TV
discussions turned to which movies would be released and when. And
movies were released. There were weddings, the usual partying and
intermittent lighting of candles at the Gateway of India.

Everybody has been trying to carry on with life after the outrage.
There is no other way. Why should the Muslims, therefore, not
celebrate life, more so on Eid? What is the purpose behind the black
armbands idea? Are Muslims required to grieve more than the rest of
the country, or do they need to display their grief more? Everyone
else is going to watch movies without any black armbands. The idea to
wear them to Eid prayers thus looks silly, and yet again is rooted in
tokenism. But what worries me even more is that there is no secular
or even religious voice in sight from any direction to tell these men
and women that they do not really need to display their anguish with
meaningless gestures, that suspecting their Indianess was as good or
bad as suspecting their own bona fides.

I think Indian Muslim leaders need to accept that the act of
terrorism perpetrated in Mumbai, and from which they are trying to
dissociate themselves by wearing black armbands, is as much their
responsibility as it is of the state that allows them to nurture
exclusivist and supremacist ideas in their seminaries. The mullahs
viciously targeted the beacon of secular poetry, Yas Yagana Changezi,
for chiding them thus:

Sab tere siwa kaafir, aakhir iska matlab kya!

Sar phira de insaa’n ka, aisa khabt-i-mazhab kya!!

(All others except you are kaafirs, does it at all make any sense?

Why are you so obsessed with your religion, or is it just pretence?)

Timothy McVeigh, who bombed a federal building in Oklahoma City, was
an alienated member of American society. Can the mullahs deny that
Indian McVeighs are lurking in the shadows of alienation for a
variety of reasons that foments satanic ideas of revenge and harm? If
they are not in denial then they should recognise that helping
isolate the lurking Mcveighs is far more urgent than demonstrating
their sympathy with the Indian state.

At one of their meetings, so I am told, Muslim intellectuals and
priests alike came up with fanciful stories that ranged from the role
of the Israeli intelligence to that of Hindu extremists in the
devastation of Mumbai’s high-profile Colaba district. Of the bizarre
ideas thrown up by these cynics not all should be dismissed without a
moment’s pause, or even a probe, as it would be cavalier to ignore
such questions, even if they seem predictable.

One question that caught my eye pertains to the timing. Whoever
planned the attacks knowingly or otherwise timed them to coincide
with crucial Indian elections in which an upsurge in jingoism, as has
happened, would inevitably boost rightwing zealots. In fact, we can
take it as a given that the results due on Monday of the state polls
in Delhi, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh could decide the next steps in
the escalation or tempering of hostilities with Pakistan. If the
Congress is unable to win even one of the three states from the BJP,
there is a real possibility that it would sustain the hardline
rhetoric, if not resort to military manoeuvres, against Pakistan to
brace for general elections expected by April.

Whether it is Al Qaeda that is involved, as Ms Condoleeza Rice and
the Israelis have hinted could be the case, or the Lashkar-i-Taiba is
the key player in the attacks as Indian thrust seems to suggest, or
whether both of them are involved, it does not absolve Indian Muslims
of their responsibility to prepare for a big battle within their
ranks against fanatical tendencies that breed terrorism.

To that extent the Indian state is equally culpable for having
surrendered the community’s fate and identity to an association of
self-serving clerics. The All India Muslim Personal Law Board has
proved to be the undoing of the 150 million strong community, as it
has kept them tethered to mediaeval notions of religion, a fertile
ground for breeding violence. The clerics earned brownie points
demanding the ban on Salman Rushdie’s otherwise unreadable book.

They also got the government to overturn a law that empowered Muslim
women at par with other Indian women in matters of divorce. Even
today there are pockets in northern India where Muslim clerics are
holding off a global anti-polio campaign. The other place the polio
campaign has met with resistance is the Afghanistan-Pakistan border
regions where the Taliban hold sway. If these clerics share a common
mindset how can they help fight terrorism, which is an adjunct of
fanaticism? But why blame the mullahs alone? They have a pact of
mutual support with all the political parties, including the BJP. Who
can forget the clarion call by the group called Muslims for Vajpayee
that came out in support of the former prime minister in the last
elections?

The attack in Mumbai might resemble the 9/11 plot, or even look like
an aborted sea-based attack on Israel, but it also has shades of the
Oklahoma bomber. In other words, it is at least partly home-grown.
Let us not get away by pointing, as some Muslim leaders have done, to
the recent discovery of neo-fascist Hindu groups for the Mumbai
atrocity. These groups may have indulged in false flag attacks by
pretending to be Muslims elsewhere. But the Mumbai terrorists were
too spectacular to be blamed on nascent fascists who are under probe.
To deny any role of Indian Muslim extremists, as facilitators if not
as plotters, in the Mumbai tragedy would be opportunism with an eye
on the next elections.

____

[5]

Dawn

BEYOND CONSPIRACY THEORIES

by Kaiser Bengali

THE Mumbai massacre has been a shocking event for all civilised souls
across the world, including those in Pakistan.

As is always the case, the search for responsibility began and,
almost immediately, fingers were pointed at Pakistan. Equally
promptly, denial followed from this end.

However, the world community appears to be accepting the Indian view
and Pakistan is under enormous pressure from all quarters. The
government has been aware of the gravity of the situation and the
complete diplomatic isolation of the country. It has acted
responsibly and has taken a series of measures on the domestic and
diplomatic fronts to limit the damage.

Questions arise as to who could be responsible for this barbaric act
and what could have been the motive. Three classes of conspiracy
theories can be discerned. One, there is the Indian view that the
perpetrators were Pakistanis and the attack originated in Pakistan.
It is stated that Pakistan has been using non-state actors since the
1980s to forward its regional agenda in Afghanistan and Kashmir. In
Afghanistan, their motive was to bring down the pro-Soviet, pro-India
regime and to install a pro-Pakistan dispensation.

Post-2001 it is stated that these non-state actors have been
operating with the support of rogue elements within the country’s
intelligence agencies, meaning without official sanction. Their
theatre of operation is now limited to Kashmir and to the occupying
power, India, with the objective of bleeding India to the point of
conceding Kashmir.

The second view is that the Mumbai attacks were executed by the
Indian intelligence. India, it is said, has been unnerved by the
sustained peaceful agitation for independence in Kashmir, aggravated
by the sharp communal split in the held state. India’s claim that the
Mumbai attackers had trained in camps in Azad Kashmir as well as
implied threats that India could launch attacks on such camps are
noteworthy in this respect. It is suggested that a successful Indian
military operation in Kashmir would effectively exclude Pakistan as a
party to the dispute and weaken the independence movement therein to
enable India to force a political settlement on its own terms.

The third view is that the Mumbai operation was part of an Indo-
Israeli-US conspiracy with the larger objective of denuclearising
Pakistan. The immediate objective could be to prove to the world that
the Pakistani security establishment is incapable of controlling the
militant establishment which can hijack the country’s nuclear
arsenal. If this is indeed the case, one can expect more such
sponsored attacks.

The latter explanations may sound preposterous, given that half a
dozen US and Israeli citizens and more than 100 Indians have been
killed. This kind of modus operandi is, however, not unknown in the
world of covert intelligence operations. Of course, it was necessary
for the nature and scale of the attack to be audacious, the targets
high profile and symbolic, and the death toll high if the desired
ends were to be attained. The actual involvement of Pakistani
nationals is irrelevant. Anybody in the world could have covertly
hired any number of Pakistanis to carry out the operation for them.

Herein lies the catch for Pakistan. Of the above three scenarios, all
of them may be true, none of them may be true, or some of them may be
partly true. That, however, is not relevant. What is relevant is the
fact that Pakistanis could have been hired by foreign elements. This
implies that there are enough Pakistanis with the necessary
ideological mentoring to be available for jihadist operations. And
these jihadis do not emerge as individual products.

Clearly, there is an infrastructure with organisational, financial
and operational resources to recruit, indoctrinate and train the
jihadis. Clearly, such an infrastructure cannot exist and operate
without an element of tolerance or support from powerful elements
aligned to state agencies. Otherwise, how is it possible that
sophisticated arms can be stockpiled in the centre of the capital
city, Islamabad, enabling the ‘students’ of Lal Masjid/Jamia Hafsa to
fight the Pakistan Army for days?

How is it possible that A.Q. Khan can engage in worldwide nuclear
smuggling without the intelligence agencies deputed to protect him
failing to discover his operations? How is it possible that hundreds
of firearms are brought out and liberally used in clashes in Karachi
and the intelligence agencies cannot identify the source and supply
channels of such arms?

Apart from the bloody mayhem these outfits may or may not be causing
in neighbouring countries, they have certainly torn Pakistani society
apart.

Either the nation’s intelligence agencies are completely incompetent
or totally complicit. If it is the former, then the country is in
mortal danger. If a mere imam of a mosque can stockpile arms or if a
high-security state official can smuggle sensitive material out of
the country then it must be equally possible for an enemy country to
smuggle in its agents and arms for internal sabotage in the event of
a war. If it is the latter, then the criminal adventurism of the self-
styled protectors of national interest is bestowing on the country
international disdain and endangering its stability and security.

In the 1980s, the ‘non-state actors’ paradigm was used within the
ambit of the US and western global strategy. Understandably, no
aspersions were cast internationally with respect to the legitimacy
of the means being employed. Of course, the paradigm was
irresponsible and criminal then and is equally so now. The difference
is that, in the current global scenario, US patronage is no longer
available and this paradigm is simply unacceptable. The cost that
Pakistan will have to pay for continuing such a course of action will
be exorbitant.

It is likely that the stage can be set for US-led international
forces to carry out an operation aimed at eliminating the presumed
capacity to mount terrorist operations abroad — and to prevent
nuclear weapons from falling into the wrong hands. Given, however,
that India will be a partner in any such operation, an attempt will
be made to disable our intelligence capability altogether. The
implications for national security will be grave.

It would, therefore, be prudent for the country’s security leadership
to undertake to renounce the highly counterproductive use of non-
state actors as a policy tool and launch a full-fledged clean-up
operation on their own initiative. An operation of some sort is
currently underway. That is not sufficient. The leadership of jihadi
organisations may appear fierce with their bushy beards and fiery
rhetoric. However, a more potent danger is posed by their handlers.
Pakistanís security demands that these handlers be neutralised.

 From Tehelka Magazine, Vol 5, Issue 50, Dated Dec 20, 2008

‘THE MEDIA CAN PROVOKE WAR’

Pakistani journalist Imtiaz Alam tells TUSHA MITTAL that Indian and
Pakistani media mirrored each other in hatred

Secretary General of the South Asian Free Media Association, and
Editor of the South Asian Journal, Imtiaz Alam, says media should
rise above national identity and unite, not demonise other states

You’ve written that during the Cold War, the media was instrumental
in fanning nationalisms and demonising the other side. Did the
coverage of the Mumbai attacks by Indian and Pakistan media do the same?
I am very disappointed with the coverage of the Mumbai attacks. The
Indian media jumped to conclusions and displayed national jingoism.
The Pakistani media went a step ahead by blaming India itself. They
thought India had manufactured the event and it was a big conspiracy
to take away Pakistan’s nuclear arms. A South Asian union is the
ultimate goal we are pursuing. We build it brick-by-brick and one
terrorist attack demolishes the entire building. I feel disgusted at
the role of media in both countries in building and furthering hate.

What role do Indian and Pakistani media play in the idea of a united
South Asia?
The media can either bring the states to conflict, or it can create
space for reconciliation. The footage you take, the way you sequence
the events, the way you ‘balance’ and treat your story, the way you
conduct your so-called debates and select participants, all this
colours your story. You can choose what colour it will have. The
event is the same, but media in two different countries report it
differently. In times of conflict, this becomes important. The media
should not take sides with nation-states. There should be guidelines
about how not to report in a conflict situation.

Ideally, how should Indian and Pakistani media have covered Mumbai?
Editorially, the media should have taken the position that both
countries should join against the common enemy. But the media became
an instrument in the hands of the terrorists who must be laughing at
us. Both countries should be cooperating at all levels, even at the
level of the media. We have been fighting for media freedom, but now
I feel there should be some self-imposed checks so that the media
does not push countries to war.

Does the media have enough power to either prevent or provoke war?
The media can play havoc with a situation and swing the public from
one end to the other. The media is playing havoc right now. The
Pakistani media is pushing for a confrontation with India. On day one
of the Mumbai attacks, the Indian media gave the judgement that the
culprit is Pakistan. Here, we feel threatened by the extremists too.
I have never felt such a great threat in my life as I am feeling now.
The media in both countries brought the governments under pressure to
take stronger actions that could lead to war. They argued that a
diplomatic approach would be seen as weakness. Terms like surgical
operations, limited war and, on Pakistan’s side, even nuclear war,
were being heard often. I’m about to faint watching this demonising
coverage. It is traumatic.

A specific example of when you thought the media had crossed the line?
In Pakistan, they brought scientists to ask how capable Pakistan’s
nuclear weapons are of destroying Indian cities. Phrases like
‘limited war’ mean nothing. One side can see it as a limited war, and
the other can perceive it as a full-scale war on them. Once you start
using these terms, you don’t know where to draw the line. In a combat
situation, we should not be using nuclear terms, or demonising
clichés. For example, we do not use the terms Indian-occupied Kashmir
or Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. We use Indian-administered Kashmir and
Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

What steps should be taken to ensure coverage that encourages peace,
not war ?
When the dust settles, I plan to hold a joint Indian and Pakistani
media conference of reporters and editors to discuss how we behaved
in this crisis. There should be accountability. We should have
records of the coverage and point to what went wrong. We should bring
the so-called big guns of media in the dock of public opinion.

The News,

ONE SIDE OF THE STORY
A look at the art of omission that the modern media has mastered and
how this completely changes the perspective, especially in a time of
crisis
By Ammar Ali Jan

For the past two weeks, the Pakistani media has been busy exposing
the 'bias' and 'hypocrisy' of the Indian media. Our anchors,
columnists, analysts and journalists are drawing our attention
towards the baseless allegations being hurled at Pakistan from across
the border without any investigation at all.
The critique of this lack of substantiation is indeed a valid one. It
has created an atmosphere of anger and hate in India, perfect pre-
requisites for war. Our media is also right in pointing out the
growing disparity in 'shining India', the great injustices being
committed against minorities and the dozens of insurgencies that have
rocked our neighbour. That the Hindu right-wing will benefit from the
Mumbai carnage in the upcoming elections is also a fact that has been
given a lot of attention in the Pakistani press.

However, this is the actual limit of the 'honest' critique by our
media. While we condemn the one-sided reporting by the Indians, are
we not falling prey to the same?

In order to understand this bias in the media, we should look at the
art of omission that the modern media has mastered and how this act
completely changes the perspective, especially in a time of crisis.
People like Professor Noam Chomsky from MIT have been very critical
of the way the US media handled the 9/11 incident. In order to create
war hysteria in the country, the media played on the existing anger
and directed it towards a country without demanding much evidence
from the administration. The US media was right in pointing out that
these barbaric acts were committed by those who became a threat to
civilisation. That terrorists groups did exist in the Muslim world
and there was an increasing radicalisation among the Muslim youth.
The dictatorial regimes in the Muslim world were also severely
criticised, and rightly so. However, this was the limit of the
'truth' that the US media could afford.

As Chomsky points out, the US media failed to educate the American
people about the reasons for this monstrous attack. For example, no
one in the mainstream media was able to highlight the US policy in
the Israel-Palestine conflict where it completely favours Israeli
aggression. It did not expose the results of sanctions on Muslims
countries like Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan and the periodic
bombings of these countries. Nor could it demonstrate the support the
US gave to tyrannical regimes in the Muslim world including Saddam
Hussain himself. Mort importantly, the media was never able to
demonstrate the support given to these terrorist organisations during
the Reagan era and establish that 9/11 was nothing more than a
blowback of a short-sighted imperialist policy. Being patriotic meant
being pro-war. Dissent was silenced.

Coming back to Pakistan, we can witness a similar line being taken in
"reaction to the Indian threats". It is easy to criticise the US
media and its citizens, but are we any better? The sort of jingoistic
nationalism portrayed by our media has been extremely disturbing
because one had great respect for the independence of the Pakistani
media. It will be worthwhile to have a look at some of the things
being said on various channels.

As already stated, the Pakistani media is highlighting the plight of
minorities in India. One anchor stated that all of the viewers should
bow in front of Allah and thank Him for creating Pakistan; otherwise
we would have been oppressed (obviously there is no oppression in
Pakistan!). Our anchors are also trying to prove how RAW has been
interfering in Afghanistan against our interests (since we have never
interfered in that unfortunate country!) and it is involved in
insurgencies in Balochistan and even in the recent Karachi riots (of
course, it is only the responsibility of the Indian media to
substantiate its claims). This tit-for-tat rubbish would have made us
all laugh, only if the future of millions was not at stake!
Another outcome of this crisis has been the revival of the image of
the army and ISI in the eyes of the public. Suddenly, we are being
told by all television networks about the importance of the ISI as
our first line of defence and warned of the 'Jewish-Hindu conspiracy'
to destroy this 'national asset'. General (r) Hameed Gul is seen on
TV all the time lecturing us about the 'professionalism' of the
agency and his willingness to lead our defence against the US and
India (much like he did during the Afghan jihad, though as a crony of
the US).

Suddenly all criticism of the army, bureaucracy and the monstrous
intelligence agencies has vanished as we need to "unite as one nation
under one flag". Anyone showing dissent is a RAW agent.There is a
frightening similarity to the US media's response after 9/11.

Why is there no one questioning this narrow interpretation of
nationalism? Was it the RAW that disrupted the democratic process in
Pakistan? Was it the Indian army that deprived Bengalis of their
rights and later launched a brutal operation that is termed genocide
by the Bengalis? Did the Indian generals hang the most popular prime
minister of Pakistan? Was the Indian government alone responsible for
patronising ethnic groups like the MQM? Is India responsible for the
deprivation felt by the Balochs, Sindhis and the Pukhtoons? Are they
the ones launching military operations against Pakistani citizens?
Are the Indian agencies involved in rigging elections in Pakistan and
depriving our people of their democratic rights? Who was involved in
handing over Pakistani citizens to the US for paltry rewards? Who has
monopolised our economy and is depriving ordinary workers the right
to decent life?

In acting the way it is, our media is lending its uncritical support
to all the state and non-state actors which have only put our
existence under threat. "We must stand united as one" is the typical
reply you get these days as a response to any criticism of these
actors. However, if we hold this form of nationalism to be true, then
why do we critique the US, Israeli and the Indian media? Plus, what
does this line of defence actually imply? It can be rephrased in
these words "at a time of a national security threat, it is okay for
the media to twist facts, make unsubstantiated claims, slander the
enemy and conceal facts in order to spread patriotism".

The job of the media is not to spread the elite's version of
patriotism. Its job is to educate the masses through objective facts
and objectivity cannot change with one's own association with a
geographical location.

In a time of crisis, one would expect genuinely critical analyses, if
only because the stakes are too high. Think about it. This current
crisis can even lead to a war in which millions of lives will be
affected. The media of both India and Pakistan, however, is busy
spreading 'patriotism' and concealing facts from its viewers. The
more troubling part is that no one seems to have an ethical problem
with all this bigotry. A scary thought, indeed!
We are waiting for someone in the media to categorically state that
the war-mongers in both these countries are a threat to ordinary
people. We cannot equate Indian nationalism with Hindutva or
Pakistani nationalism with its intelligence agencies. We need people
in the media who can put a stop to this bashing of the other country
and look at the crisis in its entirety by criticising their own
establishments, who can show that our nationalism is about the
betterment of our people, and not simply a hateful reaction to the
other country.

Dr Luther King Jr.'s words directed at the US media for their
shameful silence on US atrocities in Vietnam may prove useful for the
Indian and Pakistani media. He said, "In a time of a great moral
crisis, silence in the name of patriotism is betrayal."

MUMBAI IS NOT INDIA’S 9/11

by CERAS
http://www.sacw.net/article405.html

_____

[9]  Hawks causing huge collateral damage to people to people
contact: Its amazing that artists, writers and sports persons are
being prevented from crossing borders

Times of India
PROTEST RALLY AGAINST PRESENCE OF PAK ACTORS IN MUMBAI TOMORROW
6 Dec 2008, 1951 hrs IST, PTI

MUMBAI: A protest rally against Pakistani actors in Mumbai and
condemning the terror attack on the metropolis has been organised on
Sunday.

Filmmaker Ashok Pandit said that television industry professionals,
students, lawyers and people from different sections of the society
will participate.

He said 200 college students on motorbikes will move from Otters Club
in Bandra towards suburban Versova and proceed to Juhu Police station
where the rally will be held. The participants will condemn the
attacks and pay homage to the martyrs'.

"Induction of Chhagan Bhujbal will be condemned. He is more corrupt
than R R Patil. His track record is very bad. There should have been
a better alternative," Pandit said.

The political bankruptcy as evident in the fact that the ruling
parties took several days to chose the successors of Vilasrao
Deshmukh and R R Patil.

He said the television industry will not allow Pakistani actors in
their midst.

"We will not allow Pakistani actors or performers in Mumbai and
television channels should desist from taking Pakistani actors
anywhere in India," he added.

o o o

The Times of India

PAKISTAN STOPS GHULAM ALI FROM FLYING TO INDIA

by Pranava K Chaudhary, TNN

PATNA: While there hasn't been anything "chupke chupke" about his
past visits, a small "hungama" seems to have followed the
cancellation of
Pakistani singer Ghulam Ali's eight-city tour following the Mumbai
terror attack.

The ghazal singer, who was to kick-off his umpteenth India visit —
this time with Bihar's Rajgir Mahotsava on Saturday — told TOI on
phone on Friday, "Hum sadme mein hain. Hamein roka gaya hai (I am
traumatised. I have been stopped from travelling)."

Ali had a visa to travel to India but a call from a Pakistani
official, whom he did not name, advised him against going ahead with
the tour. Ali did not want to share details of the call.

The soulful singer expressed anguish at the sudden eruption of
hostility. "What can I do? I am sitting at home. I am helpless," he
said. "Haalaat theek nahi hain (the scenario isn't good)."

o o o

PAKISTAN: FIRST CASUALTY, PEOPLE-TO-PEOPLE CONTACT
by Nirupama Subramanian
http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/15/stories/2008121556681100.htm

INDIA-PAKISTAN TENSIONS CAST CLOUD OVER CRICKET MATCHES
by Rama Lakshmi
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, December 12, 2008; 3:14 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/12/
AR2008121202642.html

Indian Express
Dec 13, 2008

DECEMBER 13, SEVEN YEARS ON

by Shekhar Gupta

Just last month, Asif Ali Zardari made a stunning commitment at the
HT Summit of a no-first-use policy on nuclear weapons against India.
Now, this overturned the classical, old and stated Pakistani nuclear
doctrine, of using their nukes early — as if war was a Twenty20 match
where the power-play overs were to be made to count upfront — on its
head. No-first-use was the central pivot of the Indian nuclear
doctrine. Did you notice, however, how muted the reaction to it was,
not just in South Block but around the world in general? It did not
even cause a whimper in non-proliferation circles in Washington, DC.

His speech caused a whoosh of delight among our upper crust and large
sections of the intelligentsia. Here was a Pakistani leader willing
to put the past behind him, a real change from Musharraf. Today, in
the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks, the same crowd is demanding that
we go to war with Pakistan, or at least carry out “surgical” strikes,
following the precedent set by the Americans. They were wrong then,
and they are wrong now, for the same reason: that Asif Ali Zardari is
not what he believes he is, and certainly not what he wants you to
believe him to be. Yes, he is the president of Pakistan, but his
powers, authority, room for policy manoeuvre are all not merely
limited but very well-defined; and nobody, least of all his American
allies, has any confusion on this.

Zardari’s government, if anything, is weaker than other elected
governments in the past, twice each under his late wife Benazir
Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif; and there is no question of the army ceding
its control of the “strategic assets” to it. Nor the control of
Pakistan’s India, Kashmir, Afghanistan, US and China policies. He
spoke from the simplicity and inexperience of an accidental head of
state and was probably dismissed derisively by the powers that be
back home. That is how they would have also reacted to his “offer” of
sending the director-general of the ISI to New Delhi. He would have
to be delusional to believe that the current political arrangement in
Pakistan empowers him to order the head of the ISI around, and he was
cured of it soon enough. The global community knows the limitations
of his authority well enough, and thus India’s own expectations are
realistic.

That is why all talk of military action is not just futile but also
counter-productive. First of all, given the history of India-Pakistan
relations there will never be such a thing as a limited war or a
surgical strike. Just because the Pakistanis routinely take the
humiliation of American drone strikes and more should not delude us
into believing that a strike from us won’t lead to an immediate
escalation. Our actions, therefore, have to make that clear
presumption. Then we have to remind ourselves of at least three clear
presumptions that the Pakistani army would make. One, that even if an
escalation leads to a war it will be short and sharp, with the US and
others intervening at once to ensure that India doesn’t get the time
to achieve any worthwhile military objectives. Two, that military
conflict with India would provide them the perfect justification to
pull forces out of their western borders, from the fratricidal,
demoralising and debilitating war against their own countrymen in
support of the Americans. And three, most importantly, it would
restore the prestige and respect which the people of Pakistan have
accorded their army, giving it such a special place in their power
structure, which has depreciated rapidly in the Musharraf decade and
after.

Any action that brings the military to the fore in Pakistan, and
gives it the justification to shift its units from the west to the
east would be detrimental to the future of democracy in Pakistan, the
war against Al-Qaeda, the Taliban and their more India-centric
proliferations and, ultimately, harm India’s interests too. That is
why India’s leadership has so carefully eschewed all military
provocation, and why all talk of movement of air assets, high alerts,
cancellation of military leave and war-like moves is utter rubbish.
Of course if provocations go on and other policy instruments fail to
work entirely, India’s hand may ultimately be forced. But that,
military action in anger, would be more a compulsion than a policy
option. Pakistan, particularly in terms of its internal balance of
power, is still seen globally as a work in progress. Nobody is
delusional about which side will win in the end. But nobody wants to
write off the process of “civilianisation” just yet, no matter how
slow the progress.

Yet, the threat of military response must never be totally ruled out.
If the Vajpayee Government described its response to the Parliament
attack on December 13, 2001 as “coercive diplomacy”, what is
happening right now can be called “coercive diplomacy II” — in this
age of sequels. The fundamental difference, however, is that the
response in the original was a military mobilisation unprecedented in
its scale. The Vajpayee government had never really wanted/intended
to go to war. But as Brajesh Mishra once said to me, for coercive
diplomacy to work, the threat of war had to be so real even we would
believe it. And we did. So we also accepted the risk that, at some
point, a grave provocation may indeed leave us no choice other than
war. That provocation, as Mishra later admitted to me in a Walk the
Talk interview in November 2007, nearly led to war when families of
many armymen were killed in a Terror attack at a cantonment at
Kaluchak near Jammu in May 2002.

This phase of coercive diplomacy does not need that kind of a
military build-up, or a stated threat of war. The world has changed
since 2001. Howsoever weak it may be, there is an elected government
in Pakistan. Because this round of democratisation came through a
popular movement it is that much tougher for the army to stage
another coup. The Americans have better focus on the region, and see
a much greater convergence of strategic interest with India. Most
importantly, the seven years since 9/11 have led to a world where
even supreme national interests of almost all nations have got
globalised. How else is one to explain the ease with which the UN
Security Council was able to ban Lashkar and Jamaat-ud-Dawa and put
their leaders on international lists of terrorists? The Chinese have
obviously not given up their interests in Pakistan. But they cannot
buck the global move against terror and be marked out as spoilers.

It is a combination of factors, therefore, that is local (to
Pakistani politics) as well as global, which has enabled India to
devise this new phase of coercive diplomacy. And while nobody is
satisfied with the Pakistani response so far, it has yielded a little
bit more than the last one already and, as voices from several world
capitals, asking Pakistan to do more, underline, the movement is in
the right direction.

The Independent

DANCING GIRLS OF LAHORE STRIKE OVER 'TALIBAN' LAW

by Patrick Cockburn and Issam Ahmed in Lahore

Traditional dancing has been part of Pakistan's culture since the
Mughal empire

The dancing girls of Lahore, the cultural capital of Pakistan, are on
strike in protest against the tide of Talibanisation that is
threatening to destroy an art form that has flourished since the
Mughal empire.

The strike, which is supported by the theatres where they perform,
was sparked by the decision of Lahore High Court last month to ban
the Mujra, the graceful and elaborate dance first developed in the
Mughal courts 400 years ago, on the grounds that it is too sexually
explicit.

"The Mujra by its very nature is supposed to be a seductive dance,"
says Badar Alam, a cultural expert. He recalls that attempts were
made to ban it during the 1980s. "Gradually, it returned to
commercial theatre, mostly by paying off officials. The question
remains: does the government have the right to engage in moral
policing?"

The government and High Court in particular have no doubt about their
right to do just that. They have tried to encourage "family friendly"
dances, but once-packed theatres are now near empty, despite dropping
their prices from 300 rupees to 25 rupees a seat.

In the face of the strike and the lack of enthusiasm for alternative
entertainment, the court has suspended its ban. It has, however,
ordered dancers to cover their necks with shawls and wear shoes (they
used to dance barefoot but the court deemed that too erotic). "Do
they expect girls to dance in a burkha?" asks stage manager Jalal
Mehmoud. "Mujra has been going on for so many years it is part of our
culture."

The dancers are also distressed by the situation. "Theatre needs
dance like food needs water," says Rabia, a dancer and actress. "Some
girls were making up to 15,000 rupees in one night. Hundreds of these
girls from poorer backgrounds will be out of the work if the crowds
do not come back."

The ban on dancing is a symptom of a more dangerous trend in
Pakistani society. "If the government engages in moral policing,"
says Badar Alam, "it gives vigilantes licence to do the same. It
fuels intolerance and de-secularisation by violence and intimidation
and opens the door to extreme Jihadi Islamic movements."

Over the past few months, there has been a crescendo of violence in
support of fundamentalist morality in Lahore. In the middle-class
Garhi Shahu neighbourhood, young men and women used to meet in fruit-
juice bars. There was nothing particularly salacious going on but,
two months ago, three bombs exploded among them, killing one man and
wounding others.

One bomb went off in a juice bar called Disco, where Mohammed Zubair
Khan said he doubted if his customers would ever come back.
"Everybody's frightened," said Saeed Ahmed Afiz, the owner of a
another bar. Asked what he thought of those who had ruined his
business, he declared surprisingly: "They were not terrorists because
they did not kill anybody. They did the right thing." Asked about the
man who died, Mr Afiz added unfeelingly: "Maybe he was just here to
see the show."

A striking feature of those suffering persecution from
fundamentalists is not their fear but their acceptance that, if they
had encouraged immorality, they deserved punishment. The main centre
for selling CDs and DVDs in Lahore is Hall Road. But when one of the
tough-looking shopkeepers received a threatening letter accusing him
and others of selling risqué films, the mood was not one of defiance,
but of submission. The traders heaped up the forbidden DVDs and CDs
in the middle of Hall Road and made a giant bonfire. "I swear we sell
no pornography," said one nervously.

http://www.sacw.net/article406.html

Press Statement

Jamia Teachers’ Solidarity Group
13/12/2008

“NO MORE HINDUTVA TERRORISM”: MUMBAI ATTACK LEADS TO A ONE-
DIMENSIONAL DEBATE ON ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISM

All right thinking individuals must unequivocally condemn the recent
Mumbai attack. However, under the cover of Mumbai attack both the
Congress and BJP have conveniently pushed the issue of Hindutva
terrorism under the carpet. The Mumbai attack has also further pushed
the Indian state into the imperialist camp where America on the plank
of Islamic terrorism is almost dictating the terms for India to
indulge in the rhetoric of war with Pakistan .
Unfortunately, in the wake of Mumbai attack the regular secular
forces in India – barring some organizations of the Left - have been
largely forced to follow suit – they even forgot to remember the
demolition of Babri Mosque on 6th of December this year.
It is in the light of the present circumstances that Jamia Teachers’
Solidarity Group demands:
1. Probes into Malegaon , Nander and other cases related to Hindutva
terrorism be earnestly pursued and the unfinished investigation of
Karkare and his team be completed without any delay;
2. The report of the Librahan Commission on the Babri Masjid
demolition be placed without any further delay as the issue is
already in the backburner.
3. We reiterate our demand for a judicial inquiry into the Batla
House ‘encounter’ under the sitting judge of the Supreme Court and
the case of MD. Sajid – a minor killed in the said ‘encounter’ be
transferred to the juvenile justice court.
It is an unfortunate paradox into which the political discourse on
terrorism has been pushed. While minority scapegoating and majority
victimhood had become the ruling order of the day, the Mumbai attack
has suddenly swerved the entire terrain of deliberations on Hindutva
terrorism and its connivance with the institutions of the State.
While the findings of the Maharashtra ATS led by Hemant Karkare
indicated the communalization of the army at some level owing to
right-wing infiltration, CBI findings in one case against two Muslim
youth picked up as Al Badr terrorists by the Delhi Special Cell
turned out to be a false one since records indicate that they were
police informers, quite contrary to what they were alleged with. Some
of the officers involved in this incident were also in-charge of the
Batla House ‘encounter’ in which two students were killed and five
are in police remand in Gujarat for more than a month now. The voices
of resistance so long
  heard reiterating the need for secularism, democracy and justice
suddenly seems to have died down to a whimper for what has always
been addressed is the symptom of the malady and not its root cause.
Selective amnesia of secular forces in this country however, has had
a long and chequered history. The evils of 26/11 has wiped out from
collective memory the trail of blood and terror unleashed on 6th
December 1992 by the Hindu right wing of this country and political
parties who had so long observed a black day on 6th December every
year were seen either lighting candles for the victims of the Mumbai
attack or busy taking peace initiatives as a new ritual around the
event seems to have immense potential at the given hour. It seems
strange that all debates around the slaughtering of Christians in
Orissa including the rape of a nun, humiliation and torture of
Muslims in several parts of the country, in recent times, Malegaon
findings about the involvement of Sadhvi Pragya Singh and other
Hindutva forces behind different terror attacks on common people has
taken a back-seat while India’s relation with Pakistan coupled with
war rhetoric on both sides of
  the border has taken centre stage. While all sensible citizens of
this nation would question how had this massive security failure
occurred and condemn in one voice the terrible spectacle of violence
that was primetime news for almost the whole of the past week, there
are questions surrounding the incident that trouble the critical
intelligentsia. The death of Hemant Karkare and his team just before
the submission of his findings of the people involved in the Malegaon
blast not in the Taj or the Oberoi which were the centres of action
but in a peripheral site is only the first one to begin with. Mrs.
Karkare’s refusal of Narendra Modi’s offer of money amounting to one
crore is an indicator that perhaps her response is more than a denial
of allowing her husband’s death to be an incident that can be
politically bartered in the election market. While the electronic
media is busy organizing CEOs and film stars on the silver screen to
give their sound
  bites to the cacophony all around, some odd print media reports how
the DTC bus driver who had lost his limbs while trying to save his
passengers from the bomb planted in his bus by physically throwing it
out during the serial blasts that happened in Delhi around Diwali and
Eid in 2005  suffers the humiliation of trying to get his pending
medical bills cleared while the small compensation granted to him
when public sympathy was high has been long used up as the terror of
the escalating prices in the market has hardly left anyone unscathed.
What needs to be reiterated at this hour is that while religious
fundamentalism of all shades must be condemned unilaterally, one
needs to critically re-think why one issue of terror pushes the scale
of the history of violence perpetrated on the religious and ethnic
minorities of this country to an oblivion as if prior to 26/11 we had
a clean slate. Only a few weeks ago the army in Manipur gunned down a
journalist. Do the Imas of Manipur again need to walk naked on the
streets to become news? Has the five decade long AFSPA rule been able
to solve the problem there? While the North-east is the country’s
hinterland Mumbai is the economic chord of the nation. The impact of
26/11 has severe repercussions. The question that needs to be asked
therefore is - what are the implications of 26/11 regarding the
foreign policy to be followed by the MEA? At this hour of global
economic recession it seems that 26/11 is the right cherry needed for
the war pie on the
  making? And of course if war is round the corner, it’s a boom for
certain sectors of the economy both before and after it. As far as
civil rights are concerned, one can take a holiday as far more
stringent measures are being advocated as if those already on board
were not enough. L-18 and Batla House – justice for ‘encounter’
victims … who is listening to the din after all?

Anuradha Ghosh
Neshat Quaiser
Adil Mehdi
Manisha Sethy

[11 December 2008]

  AMARESH MISHRA’S WEB OF LIES

Shri Aziz Burney,
Editor In Chief
Rashtriya Sahara Newspaper

Dear Shri Burney,

I am writing this specifically in response to a news item that
appeared in The Rashtriya Sahara on December 7, 2008. I was surprised
and shocked that a respectable and widely read Urdu daily published
an item without cross checking the baseless allegations made therein.
I am referring, Sir, to the scurrilous and unsubstantiated new items
carried by your esteemed publication obviously authored by one MR.
AMARESH MISHRA, a dangerous individual. I am shocked that your
newspaper printed without bothering to verify the false and baseless
allegations against my husband and colleague JAVED ANAND, co-editor
of COMMUNALISM COMBAT and secretary, MUSLIMS FOR SECULAR DEMOCRACY.

To rectify the one-sided view that has been published, I crave leave
to dwell on the events of that day. The Citizens for Justice and
Peace had hosted a meeting at the St. Xaviers College Hall to condemn
the horrific terror attacks and to outline an action plan for youth
and citizens. All of us were gathered there, scattered in the
quadrangle and the hall. Swami Agnivesh and Mufti Fuzail Ul Rahman
Hilal Usmani, our special guests, were also present having been
escorted by my husband and colleague, Javed Anand. Suddenly Mr
Amaresh Mishra arrived on the scene and first started using abusive
language against M Rajdeep Sardesai, editor in chief of CNN-IBN at
which point his mother Smt Nandini Sardesai also intervened. He then
started haranguing Swami Agnivesh our guest, "warning" him on how he
should speak related to the recent terror attacks in Mumbai! He soon
turned to abusing both Mr Javed Anand and journalist Sajjid Rashid in
offensive and unprintable language. In fact our daughter hurried to
me at this point thinking that her father, Javed Anand was about to
be assaulted. One of the over dozen witnesses, Shahbaz Khan
intervened at this point and escorted Mr Amaresh Mishra out of the
college.

Sir, there were many witnesses present that day, December 4, 2008
when Mr. Mishra in fact did his best to disrupt our meeting and abuse
Mr.Rajdeep Sardesai, Mr. Javed Anand and others. I believe he did
this because he is threatened by the scope and reach of our
activities and
especially the role of MSD in drawing the Muslim community into
Civic, Secular Democratic issues breaking the manipulative
stereotypes perpetrated by the Hindu right wing -- the RSS, the
Bajrang Dal and the VHP among many other organizations -- against the
entire community.  Specifically, I believe that Mr Amaresh Mishra was
out to discredit the courage and initiative shown by both Mr Javed
Anand and myself in suggesting to Indian Muslims all over the country
to demonstrate in one voice against the enemies of India and the
forces of terror following the recent attacks on Mumbai on November
26, 2008. This eleven city protest was successfully held on Sunday
December 7, 2008, the day the unsubstantiated news item in your
newspaper appeared. I trust and hope that this letter of mine finds
prominent space n ALL editions of the newspaper.

There are more falsehoods, Sir, in Mr Mishra's claims. He mentions
three respected members of the Muslim clergy who he says also
condemned M Javed Anand for "ostensibly attacking Mr Mishra (sic)".
One of the three respected persons Maulana Mustaqeen Azmi
specifically spoke to me, categorically refuting Mr Mishra's claim
that he had issued any such statement of condemnation. Finally, Mr
Mishra ends his diatribe stating that he spoke to some persons that
include Mr Javed Akhtar, Ms Shabana Azmi and me, Ms Teesta Setalvad
about the incident. This is an absolute lie. He did not speak to
either of us and has not for some time.

I am consciously not engaging here on the merits and de-merits of the
conspiracy theories spouted by Mr Mishra in print and on the internet
that are not just too incredible but have also, surprisingly escaped
the wrath of the sangh parivar. I am hoping that your publication
will give me an opportunity to engage in an open debate with him on
these theories. Until then I am hopeful that this short piece of mine
receives de space attention and prominence in Rashtriya Sahara.

In anticipation

Teesta Setalvad
Secretary Citizens for Justice and Peace

Co-Editor Communalism Combat

_____

[14]  Announcements:

(i)

South Asia Solidarity Initiative (SASI)

AFTER MUMBAI, WHICH WAY FORWARD? A PUBLIC DIALOGUE

Location: Skylight Room (9100)
CUNY Graduate Center,
Date: Mon, Dec 15th
Time: 7 PM

Speakers
Aziz Huq (Brennan Center, NYU)
Sahar Shafqat (St. Mary’s College)
Smita Narula (NYU Law School)
Jinee Lokaneeta (Drew University)
Svati Shah (Duke University)
And others

The recent violence in Mumbai has claimed the lives of close to 200
people and injured over 300 others. Even as we join the entire South
Asian community in condemning this violence and asking for peace and
solidarity, developments with serious implications are unfolding in
the subcontinent. In particular, the loss of innocent lives in Mumbai
is being used as a pretext to escalate tensions between India and
Pakistan at a time when diplomatic and civil society efforts for
peaceful coexistence had been making progress. The Obama campaign's
aggressive rhetoric with regard to Pakistan is only exacerbating the
issue and pushing the subcontinent further towards unilateral
intervention.
Violence by state and non-state actors has terrorized ordinary
citizens in both India and Pakistan.  We are concerned, however, at
the framing of the latest act of such violence in Mumbai as 'India's
9/11' which is designed to legitimize creation of a national security
state along the lines of the US after 9/11. There is talk of stronger
security, anti-terror legislation and a dedicated central
investigative agency to deal with terror. In fact, the experience of
the US serves as a warning and not an example of how to deal with
acts of terror. The USA-PATRIOT Act, hastily pushed through in the
wake of the tragic events of September 11, 2001, has led to the
racial profiling and unjust detention, deportation, and torture of
South Asians, Muslims and Arabs and a crackdown on progressive
activists while failing to make the world, or the USA, safer.  In
fact, the USA-PATRIOT Act and its attendant policies and practices in
the wake of 9/11 have undermined the basis of American democracy
since a democratic polity rests fundamentally on the rule of law and
the guarantee of basic civil liberties for all.  We must not allow
this to happen in South Asia.
Please join us in a public discussion of these and related issues at
this crucial moment.

Directions: The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, is
located on 365 Fifth Avenue (between 34th-35th on Fifth Av), New
York. Take the B, D, F, N, R, and Q trains to 34th Street/Avenue of
the Americas; 1,2,3, and 9 IRT trains to Penn Station at 7th Avenue
and A, C, and E lines at the 8th Avenue.
For more information, contact us at contact at southasiainitiative.org
or call Prachi (917-279-4923), Ash (917-279-4923) or Biju (917-232-8437)

Co-sponsors: The Center for Place, Culture and Politics http://
web.gc.cuny.edu/pcp/
The Brecht Forum http://brechtforum.org/
SALAAM Theatre

- - -

(ii)

JOIN US AT T2F FOR A POWERFUL FILM ABOUT FORCED MARRIAGES.
Date: 16th December 2008  |  Time: 7:00 pm

Every year, thousands of young women are taken abroad and forced into
marriages by their families. This World gains unique access to the
work of the British Consulate’s unit in Pakistan that rescues girls
who call them for help. It is a task fraught with diplomatic pitfalls
and personal risk, lending this film a real tension as the team
bounce over the roads of rural Pakistan on their way to another
"rescue". By calling for help the girls are in danger of losing
everything - including all contacts with their families. "Imagine
waking up tomorrow and not having a mother", says one. “A father. A
family. Your home. Your community."

Join us at T2F for a screening of Forced to Marry and a conversation
with Producer/Director Ruhi Hamid.

About Ruhi Hamid

Ruhi Hamid has pushed boundaries for Muslim women and specialises as
a solo director/camerawoman. After her award-winning series "Lahore
Law", Ruhi has made films for the BBC, Channel 4, Arte and Al Jazeera
International including "Women and Islam" and "The Rockstar and the
Mullahs". After working as a graphic designer in Holland, Zimbabwe
and in London at the BBC for many years, Ruhi turned her skills to
programme making. She worked on the innovative strand of films Video
Diaries/Video Nation, dedicated to working alone with DV cameras
giving access to ordinary members of the public to have their voices
and stories heard on mainstream television. By listening and allowing
contributors to open up and trust her, Ruhi has gained access to
peoples and cultures and has captured critical moments on camera.
This has been the case whether Ruhi worked with a young autistic boy
in England, the Kalapalo Indians in the Brazillian Amazon, the
shamans in the Siberian forests or the criminal courts in Pakistan.

Ruhi’s film about the Hmong tribe (ex CIA veterans) in Laos was
nominated for the Rory Peck Awards in 2004, and "At The Epicentre", a
documentary about the aftermath of the Asian tsunami in Banda Aceh,
Indonesia, won her the same award in 2005. Her two recent high
profile films are "Inside A Shariah Court" filmed in Nigeria and "The
King’s New Laws" about law reform in Morocco.