SACW | Nov 20-21, 2008 / Sri Lanka: war displaced / Bangladesh: interview prof. sobhan / India versus Hindu right

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 23:05:20 CST 2008

South Asia Citizens Wire | November 20-21, 2008 | Dispatch No. 2583 -
Year 11 running
From: www.sacw.net

[1] Sri Lanka : government must act now to protect 300,000 displaced
(Amnesty International)
     + The appalling silence of the good people (Shanie)
[2] Bangladesh:
   (i) Talking Polls and Beyond: An interview with  Prof Rehman
Sobhan (Daily Star)
   (ii) No rationale to prolong emergency (Editorial, New Age)
[3] Pakistan: HRCP alarmed at threats to Peshawar NGOs
[4] India: Wake up and act now before there is a full scale takeover
by the Hindu right
   (i) India’s democracy locked in a life and death battle to survive
(Jawed Naqvi)
   (ii) Ugly defence of the indefensible (Editorial, The Hindu)
   (iii) Combating Hindutva terror (Editorial, Kashmir Times)
   (iv) Religious Right and its political future (Harish Khare)
[5] India: No room for Taslima (Edit, expressbuzz)
[6] USA - India Diaspora: An Open Letter To Ms. Sonal Shah (Coalition
Against Genocide)
[7] Announcements:
- Forum: Religion and Politics in Pakistan (Vancouver, 30 November,
2008)

-----

[1]   Sri Lanka

Amnesty International

SRI LANKAN GOVERNMENT MUST ACT NOW TO PROTECT 300,000 DISPLACED

The humanitarian crisis in the Wanni region of northern Sri Lanka is
worsening as the government fails to provide shelter and protect over
300,000 displaced civilians.

Tens of thousands of families are now enduring the monsoon season
with limited food, shelter, water or sanitation. They fled their
homes to escape the fighting between the Sri Lankan military and the
opposing Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

These civilians are trapped in the LTTE-controlled Wanni region. The
Tigers continue to forcibly recruit one person per family with recent
steep recruitment of younger people. The LTTE have hindered people
from moving to safer places by imposing a strict pass system.

In some instances they have forced family members to stay behind to
ensure the return of the rest of the family. The LTTE also controls
the movement of displaced people within the Wanni. These measures
seem designed in part to use civilians as a buffer against government
forces.
[. . .]
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/sri-lankan-government-
must-act-now-protect-300000-displaced-20081119

o o o

The Island, 15 November 2008

THE APPALLING SILENCE OF THE GOOD PEOPLE

by Shanie

"We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful
words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of
the good people."

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who
helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting
against it is really cooperating with it."

Martin Luther King, the author of the words quoted above, was as a
thirty five year old in 1964, the youngest person in history to
receive the Nobel Peace Prize. A year earlier, he had made his famous
‘I Have a Dream’ speech in Washington DC which has now been shown as
truly prophetic. Four years later, he was assassinated. A man was
convicted for this but it was widely believed that it was part of a
conspiracy in which the FBI was also involved. Throughout his
involvement with the civil rights movement, King had been receiving
death threats, some of it allegedly emanating from the FBI itself. He
had been a strident opponent of the Vietnam War and criticized the US
Congress for the continuing to spend billions in the conduct of the
war. "A nation", he declared, "that continues year after year to
spend more money on military defence than on programmes of social
uplift is approaching spiritual death". For this King was riled not
only by the establishment but even by the mainstream media. The Life
magazine called the speech "demagogic slander that sounded like a
script for Radio Hanoi" and even the liberal Washington Post wrote
that King had "diminished his usefulness to his cause, his country,
his people." Later events however proved right the wisdom of King.

Two years ago at A Veterans for Peace Convention in the US, a US
soldier facing court martial for being a conscientious objector to
being posted to the US army in Iraq made a statement which is worth
quoting extensively in the light of both the re-interest in Martin
Luther King’s civil rights movement as well as our own war situation.
Lt Ehren Watada from Hawaii stated, "I have broken no law but the
code of silence and unquestioning loyalty. If I am guilty of any
crime, it is that I learned too much and cared too deeply for the
meaningless loss of my fellow soldiers and my fellow human beings. If
I am to be punished it should be for following the rule of law over
the immoral orders of one man. If I am to be punished it should be
for not acting sooner. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, ‘History
will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period … was
not the strident clamour of the bad people, but the appalling silence
of the good people.’

"Now, I'm not a hero. I am a leader of men who said enough is enough.
Those who called for war prior to the invasion compared diplomacy
with Saddam to the compromises made with Hitler. I say, we compromise
now by allowing a government that uses war as the first option
instead of the last to act with impunity. Many have said this about
the World Trade Towers, "Never Again." I agree. Never again will we
allow those who threaten our way of life to reign free - be they
terrorists or elected officials. The time to fight back is now - the
time to stand up and be counted is today.

"I'll end with one more Martin Luther King Jr quote: ‘One who breaks
an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly
accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience
of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the
highest respect for law."

The life and words of Martin Luther King, re-echoed by the young US
officer, have a relevance for us today in Sri Lanka. Terrorism, in
all its form, has to be rooted out. Abductions, extra-judicial
killings, extortions and intimidation of those holding different
views is terrorism, whether they are committed by a terrorist in the
jungles of Vanni or by a terrorist who now sits on a political chair.
We must protest against double standards and break the ‘appalling
silence’.

Sri Lanka belongs to the Sinhala people?

Cabinet Minister Champaka Ranawaka and Army Commander Sarath Fonseka
believe that our country belongs to the Sinhala people. Though each
has stated it in different words, they both appear to claim that all
other ethnic groups do not have the same rights in Sri Lanka as the
Sinhala people. Their statements have led to protests from the Tamil
and Muslim communities and in at least one incident last Friday,
there has been some violence. But the focus of criticism seems to be
on the protestors, for their violence, rather than on the
majoritarian supremacism displayed in the provocative statements of
those in authority.

Neither President Rajapaksa nor any other Government political leader
has disassociated themselves from this claim. Even the media, both
state and non-state, have little to state on it. On the contrary,
there have been many comments in the opinion pages of the newspapers
in support. We cannot say that they represent the majority, or even a
substantial section of the Sinhala people. But the tragedy is that
our political leadership and the opinion makers have not countered
this statement by assuring the minorities that Sri Lanka belongs
equally to all her citizens, that all have equal rights and equal
protection from the state. We will have to repent in this generation
not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but
for the appalling silence of the good people. And not only that, all
those who passively accept evil are as much involved in it as those
who help to perpetrate it. Those who accept evil without protesting
against it are really condoning or cooperating with it.

Is it any wonder then that the minorities are only lukewarm in their
support for the current "war"? The University Teachers for Human
Rights (Jaffna) have been strident in their exposure of LTTE’s
terrorism. But even they, in their latest report, have been
constrained to question the present strategy. We quote, "Fighting the
LTTE has become almost secondary to the prerequisite of the
extremists close to the corridors of power to establish a Sinhalese-
Buddhist state and erase all semblance of pluralism. It is this
obscurantism that in the first place kindled the present ethnic
conflict. An important category that became targets of the State’s
killer groups are those who are not LTTE sympathizers, but were
active in defending and speaking up for legitimate Tamil interests.
The result is the further isolation of the State from the Tamils.

"A responsible government must think and do the political work it is
there to do, in winning over the Tamils and to persuade the world
that it has a viable plan to minimize the damage and loss of life,
before sending in the armed forces. To conduct a war with the present
chauvinistic outlook is utterly irresponsible by the Sinhalese youth
being sacrificed, even if the State has no empathy for the Tamil
victims. But what is to be gained by giving the Tamils the message
that they would lose everything and have no place in this country if
the LTTE is defeated?

"On the other side the people are in this terrible plight because the
LTTE for its totalitarian ends repeatedly spurned opportunities to
reach a political settlement. The people’s relationship with the LTTE
is complex. The general mood among the people of the Vanni was
strongly anti-LTTE four months ago, and resistance continues.
Resistance however to the LTTE is either passive or tragically
fatalistic. With increased aerial bombing and shelling and stories of
increasingly repressive treatment of minorities coming from other
parts of the country, the mood is changing. Despite this the LTTE, by
October 2008, had once again become very aggressive in conscription.

"There was fear under the LTTE, but now there is terror, violence and
extreme uncertainty under the much travestied label of democracy. The
natures of internal terror and external terror and their dynamism
have been regularly discussed in our reports. The first destroys the
soul of the community and the latter creates continuous uncertainty
and fear; both take away hope and dignity from the people. That is
why for us the choice is not between an LTTE victory and a Government
victory. Both are obnoxious in their aims and inimical for the
people. Any evil ultimately burns itself out. We could only hope and
pray that the suffering of the people would be brief, followed by a
dawn of fresh hope."

That dawn will come only when, as we have repeatedly stated in this
column, when the two major national parties, the SLFP and the UNP,
set aside political games and get together in the national interests,
in consultation with the Muslim and Tamil elected political
leadership, and present a joint political package that will ensure
peace and justice to all the people of our country. Both Mahinda
Rajapaksa and Ranil Wickremesinghe must know that the APRC has just
been a wasted time-stalling exercise. They have the 2000 consensus
proposals to work around and they must quickly come with a proposal
that will end the meaningless loss of lives and the tragic
displacement of people and restore dignity and justice for all our
people.

_____

[2]  Bangladesh

(i)

The Daily Star, November 20, 2008

  TALKING POLLS AND BEYOND

'The government has to tell the nation why it needs emergency'

Prof Rehman Sobhan

Born in Kolkata in 1935, Prof Rehman Sobhan obtained MA in Economics
from Cambridge University in 1956. He started his career as a faculty
at Department of Economics at Dhaka University in 1957 and retired in
1977. He served as a Member of Bangladesh Planning Commission
1972-1974 and at BIDS as Chairman, Research Director, Director
General and Emeritus Fellow 1974-1993. He was a visiting Fellow at
Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford 1976-1979. A former Adviser to the
President in 1991, Professor Sobhan was the Founder and Executive
Chairman of Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) 1994-1999, Executive
Director of South Asia Centre for Policy Studies 2001-2005 and is now
Chairman of the CPD. He was one of the founders and Editor of weekly
Forum 1969-1971 and is now the chair of the editorial board. He was
active in the liberation struggle and was appointed as Envoy
Extraordinary in 1971 by the Bangladesh government with special
responsibility for economic affairs. Shamim Ashraf took the interview.

How do you see the uncertainty over all parties' participation in the
December 18 polls?
Unfortunately in Bangladesh to participate or not usually depends on
how you feel you are going to fare in the election. If you are
confident that you are going to win or do well, you're keen to
participate. The AL seems to think it is going to do well, so it is
anxious to see the election is held on schedule. Their principal
rivals, for reasons which seem unclear, appear less confident about
their prospects otherwise they would also be pressing for early
elections.

The BNP leaders are pressing for seven-point demand, now reduced to
four points, as condition for participating in the elections…
3 of the 4 demands of BNP are common with the AL. BNP are arguing
that they don't face a level playing field. But whether their demands
are accepted or not by CTG surely affects all parties equally. The
crucial difference has therefore come down to the timing of the
election. It is not clear how 30 days will help to level the playing
field any further. Nor will voters be particularly impressed by the
argument that their desire for an early election needs to be
frustrated on account of the franchise of 50,000 voters.

How do you see BNP's demand for scrapping amendments to the RPO?
The particular provision that BNP would like to be withdrawn seems
also to be endorsed by other political parties and may thus be
acceptable to the EC.

Does keeping off from election due to a lower prospect of victory go
with the philosophy of democracy?
The main issue is that today you have a situation in which the CG is
wanting to hold elections and to hand over power to an elected
government. The notion of a major party pressurising a non-elected
government to defer their withdrawal by delaying the holding of the
elections is very unusual. Over the last 2 years the main demand of
the political parties had been that the CG should quit as early as
possible through holding elections and return us to being ruled by
our elected representatives. Such a posture by a political party
tends to confuse not just the electorate but their party workers.

Do you support deferring the election as demanded by some BNP leaders?
I don't think it would bring any great advantage even to the BNP if
the election were postponed. If the BNP face any practical problem,
in contesting elections on 18 December, they should consult with
other parties as well as the CTG and find what can be done about
putting their concerns to rest. If they offer some realistic
alternative dates, backed by a categorical public assurance that they
will contest elections on this date, which the other parties find
acceptable, the CTG may go with the consensus. But it would be a bad
precedent to delay elections and a disappointment to the electorate
who mostly want an early election.

Could the government do anything earlier to ensure participation of
all the parties?
The CTG should have negotiated the road map and reforms with the
parties much earlier. The delay and consequent pressure of time, in
relation to their road map, appears to have compelled the CTG to make
quite a few concession to both the parties, and particularly to one
of them. Political negotiations are all about give and take. One
party cannot lay down demands on a take it or leave it basis. This is
the privilege only of the unchallenged victor and even victors need
to be magnanimous. It would have been sensible for the EC to have
secured some firm commitment from all parties over their
participation in the elections.

Couldn't the reform and registration process be easier had the
government sat with parties at the beginning of 2007?
Definitely. The CG began the negotiation process very late and didn't
take this to any definitive conclusion. There should have been a
general agreement on all the issues which needed to be settled before
the start of preparations for the elections. Negotiation on many of
these issues started only a few months ago. Yet many of these issues
have been under discussion for many years and could have been carried
forward at the initial stage of the life of the CTG including on such
issues as how to deal with corruption.

Evaluate the advancement since 1/11 political changeover.
In many areas, the CTG's intentions were good and they were putting
issues on the table which were being discussed not just by the so-
called civil society but also the political parties. Everyone should
remember that the 31-point demand of the 14-Party Alliance covered
many of the issues incorporated in the CTG reform agenda. The CTG
would, therefore, have expected considerable support for reforms from
everyone including most political parties. This shared perspective on
reforms could have been used as the basis for initiating a dialogue
on reforms with the political parties. After all none of these
reforms can be sustained unless they are ratified by the political
parties in parliament and they commit themselves to their
implementation.

Can the CG have agreement on reforms at this point?
The government will find it difficult to involve the political
parties in a dialogue on reforms and come to an agreement at this
late stage when they remain absorbed in their election campaign.

Identify major achievements since 1/11.
The electoral list will be an enduring achievement as will be the
move to give autonomy to the EC, ACC and Public Service Commission,
as also the Right to Information Ordinance and the separation of the
Judiciary and Executive. However, even these positive achievements
will have to be sustained by the elected government.

How much qualitative change will come from 1/11 changeover and
following exercises?
Change may come if the parties basically recognise that there are
serious problems with their democratic practices and approach to
governance. It will be politically advantageous to the parties to
bring about such changes like democratising the party organisation,
bringing in good candidates, committing themselves to eliminate
corruption and ensuring financial transparency, though it may be
disadvantageous for some individuals in the parties. But whether they
would really do so is another question. Part of the problem lies in
the culture of opposing something if your political opponent supports
it. Much will depend on the quality of the election. If some parties
have already taken a position that the election will not be fair,
they're already telling us in advance that the government which comes
to power will not be acceptable to them. They will then find problems
with everything done by the elected government.

Does that mean we'll be seeing that the politics of boycott and
violence will resume?
Whoever wins the election will need to go out of their way to give
the opposition full freedom to express themselves in parliament and
to consult them on all major policy decisions. In such circumstances
the opposition must also agree to work through parliament rather than
to resort to the streets to express themselves. This will merely give
the ruling party a free hand to govern without accountability, which
has been the bane of our system of governance.

Do you see any such soul searching by the leaders?
Some soul searching is going on. But we will have to see how strongly
they feel about it. Most people would like to see our leaders
conceding that they did something wrong and publicly recognising that
the parties should expose themselves to change. Leaders themselves
should be the leaders for reforms. But they have to recognise first
that there is a need for reforms.

We've seen a division between reformists and non-reformists
That was an artificial division. There was an attempt to create such
a divide within the parties; the leaders were the people who should
have been initially invited to lead the reforms. Confusing the issue
of leadership and the issue of reform created part of the problem.

Who do you think were instrumental in creating the divide?
Dividing the leaders and some people who were supposed to be
reformers, to a great extent discredited the reformers and created
difficulties for them. Had the reformers basically been persuaded to
sit with their leaders and say we should bring about reforms within
the party, then the leaders themselves may have been willing to
discuss it with them. But if it is assumed that the leaders are not
going to carry out the reforms and new leaders will have to be
brought in, then problems arise. If the rank and file of the party
continue to support the leaders, the people who will become
marginalised within the party, are likely to be the so called
reformers. That in practice, appears to be what actually happened.

Parties earlier complained that the environment was not proper for
reform as emergency was there…
If we wanted a genuinely democratic reform process, we would have to
create conditions where you can hold consultations within the party
and listen to the rank and file's demand for reforms. People say that
the same faces came up in the mayoral and local body elections. That
was, to some extent, inevitable. How could new candidates emerge
within the parties without scope for active politics to mobilise
alternative leaders at the local level. In its absence the political
process is frozen. Whoever was prominent at the local level, before
the political process was put on hold, emerged as the most visible
candidate who could command support both from party workers and the
voters.

What would be the best way to deal with emergency?
If we want a functional election campaign, we will have to minimise
the restraints on campaigning through lifting the emergency. The
government has to tell the nation clearly why it needs emergency.
Obviously there is one problem relating to the issue of who can and
who can't contest the election. But this will be settled the moment
the nominations are filed. From what is reported in the press it
appears that the government is now agreeable to lift all those parts
of the emergency powers which relate to election campaigning so
hopefully this may no longer remain a moot issue.

The issue of two leaders' meeting has surfaced again. Can't they play
a role to breakaway from confrontational politics?
Public should certainly make this appeal. The two leaders should
obviously meet in general, even for social reasons. I don't know of
any second country where top leaders of major parties don't meet and
dialogue. Other leaders in these parties also need to meet on a
regular basis as a general practice of democratic politics. But we
should not expect any immediate result from such a meeting in
resolving any longstanding problems which haven't been resolved for
so many years. Right now the minds of the parties are preoccupied
with more immediate issues such as contesting the elections and
nominating candidates. Hopefully, after the elections a tradition of
dialogue between the leaders can be put in place but this will, no
doubt, depend on how far the opposition leaders are willing to accept
the results of the election.

How can the questionable people be kept off from election?
People who know best who is clean are the parties themselves. They
should exercise their judgement and people will appreciate their good
judgement. Looking at the nominations of the Awami League they appear
to have decided to keep some controversial candidates from contesting
the elections. They have also given opportunities for grassroots
workers to register their preferences for their parliamentary
candidate. Someone should do some research on the number of
constituencies where the AL leadership honoured the preference of
their grassroots members. It is to be seen who the 4 Party Alliance
nominates and whether similar opportunities for grassroots voters to
declare their preference for candidates is recognised. Ideally, most
people would like to see that dubious candidates are kept out of the
polls. But this can either be done by due process of law or by the
parties themselves. In the final analysis the voters can reject such
candidates at the polls.

How do you see procession of bail after a long time when no bail was
granted?
The legal system has become very controversial. Some judicial
appointments in the past appear to have been guided by political
considerations. The legal fraternity are themselves questioning the
qualifications of some of these appointees. This matter needed to be
resolved by the CTG but was not and will now be bequeathed to the
elected government. The problem of the judiciary have been further
aggravated though conflating politics and the legal process. Public
have become very concerned as to which judgements are based
exclusively on legal issues and which originate from political
expediency. This will have a far-reaching effect on the future of the
judiciary in the days ahead.

Evaluate the anti-corruption drive?
It began well but there were serious problems that needed address. A
major issue was the need to examine, at the very outset, the existing
laws and judicial process as to their efficacy in dealing effectively
with corruption cases. Even in normal times, it is very difficult to
get convictions in corruption cases. There are many loopholes through
which the corrupt can escape. Besides, there are severe weaknesses in
the ACC's system of collecting evidence. Dealing with pervasive
corruption, as pertained in Bangladesh, is a long-term process. A
government which is likely to be in business for two years cannot be
expected to deal with a disease which has infected our body politic
for years. They can begin the process, but should recognise that
someone else is going to see it to a conclusion. The CTG also needed
to consider who would carry the anti-corruption process forward. If
we have to depend on the existing status quo of law, cases may remain
unresolved for years. So far very few anti-corruption cases have been
discussed in the courts on issues of substance. Everything has been
argued on issues of legal procedure. People want to know whether the
accused actually committed the act, what is the evidence, and want
the case to be openly argued. We've rarely seen such arguments in
court. The government should have been clear as to whether they were
exclusively committed to deal with corruption in its own right or
whether anti-corruption cases were to be used as a political
instrument against some leaders. Most people were supportive of the
government when it began the anti-corruption drive. They should have
stuck to it and avoid politicising the process. They should have also
recognised their limitations and been more selective in their filing
of cases.

You wrote two pieces earlier on the government's exit policy. How do
you see it now?
 From their behaviour it seems the CTG feel that they have been in
office long enough and now seek a painless exit. It would have been
better if they had worked out how the system would be functioning
once elections take place and they could depart with some
understanding of what part of their reforms would be carried on and
what would be protected by the incoming elected government. We need
to know more as to how far the CTG has managed to discuss these
issues with the parties, or to secure any firm commitments to sustain
the reform process.

The government asked parties to sign a national charter but parties
strongly opposed…
I didn't see any attempt to formulate and place such a charter before
the country or the parties. If we had such a document the public and
the parties could decide whether they would discuss and even endorse
it. Today the CTG remains completely dependent on the goodwill of
whichever parties come to power. It would have been good for the
future of democracy if the integrity and independence of such
institutions as the ACC and EC could have been guaranteed by all the
parties before they went into the elections. Then the electorate
would at least have a clearer idea of what to expect from the post-
election process.

What lesson does 1/11 leave for the people?
There may be political differences but these have to be resolved
through a process of negotiation rather than through confrontation.
If the underlying premise of the constitution, to ensure a genuine
free and fair election under a truly non-partisan government, had not
been frustrated, the events of 1/11 could have been avoided. In the
final analysis Bangladesh's history suggests that it is best to be
ruled by elected governments. But then the political parties have to
also honour their mandate from the voters. They need to keep in mind
that they are elected to serve a public purpose and not abuse the
political process as a license for private gain. At the same time we,
the electorate, also have to make sure that those we elect serve us
well. If the electorate fail in exercising due vigilance over the
democratic process we end up getting the governance we deserve.

  o o o

(ii)

New Age

Editorial
NO RATIONALE TO PROLONG EMERGENCY

The commerce adviser, who is also the official spokesperson for the
council of advisers, has asserted that the military-controlled
interim government has completed all preparations to hold
parliamentary polls on December 18. ‘The entire nation is now ready
for the democratic transition through the December 18 elections to be
participated by all the parties,’ Hossain Zillur Rahman said at a
press briefing after meeting with the chief adviser. While we have no
doubt that the nation is ready and eager for a democratic transition
and has been for many months, we are not so sure about the state of
preparation of the present regime and the Election Commission – let
alone the major political parties. By preparation, we refer not only
to administrative and logistical tasks, some of which are still
ongoing, but also to the levelling of the electoral playing field and
the creation of an environment that is conducive to free and fair
polls. So, while we want elections to be held at the earliest, we
would like all disputed issues between the political parties and the
present regime to be resolved and for the commission to have actually
completed all preparations, including the publishing of constituency-
wise voters’ rolls that are still only half-done.

    Also, we continue to stress on the need for the immediate
withdrawal of the state of emergency so that the upcoming elections
can be held in a free and unrestrictive atmosphere. While we have
repeatedly stated that truly participatory and credible elections
cannot be held under a state of emergency, and have commended the
major political parties for making withdrawal of emergency prior to
elections one of their principal demands, it is worth mentioning that
the chief election commissioner himself made the same point on
February 24. He had said, ‘I do not understand how the election can
be held under a state of emergency, because the necessary scope for
electioneering should be facilitated. Emergency means, from what I
understand from my experience as a magistrate, that ten people cannot
hold an assembly. Emergency is more serious than the imposition of
Section 144. So emergency should be lifted. If it is not lifted, then
how do you campaign? How do you address the voters, through the
television? That is why we ask for the creation of an environment
that will enable the people to move about freely and go for
electioneering.’ We agree completely.

    On Saturday, Hossain Zillur said, however, that the regime will
consider the full lifting of the state of emergency if ‘the election
environment develops smoothly’. First of all, the adviser must
understand that the conditions that justify a state of emergency are
enshrined in our constitution and that a not-so-smooth election
environment is not a justification for emergency. Therefore, he must
refrain from adding to the constitutional provisions nebulous
conditions of his own. Also, the adviser should know by now that a
qualitative change in the nature of politics can only be brought
about through vibrant political activity by the democratically-
oriented people, not by restricting the political process.

    Hence, if the government wants to see a qualitative change in the
nature of politics, the only route forward is through restoration of
normal political process, holding of truly participatory and credible
parliamentary elections and a peaceful transfer of power to a
government elected by the people. In order to do so, the regime must
withdraw in full the state of emergency and resolve all remaining
disputes with the major political parties to bring them to the polls.

____

[3]  Pakistan

HRCP ALARMED AT THREATS TO PESHAWAR NGOS
November 18, 2008 by HRCP

Press Release, November 17, 2008

Lahore, November 17: The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP)
has expressed anxiety at the growing reach of extremist elements in
the NWFP, especially at recent threats by the so-called Tehreek-e-
Taliban to an NGO working on development issues and women’s rights,
in Peshawar.

A statement issued by the Commission on Monday said: “On top of the
recent spate of targeted killings and abductions in Peshawar and
generally in the NWFP by extremist elements, this escalation in
threats to NGOs is not only aimed at the civil society but at
whatever remains of the state’s writ in that part of the country.

In the latest threat sent to an NGO’s Peshawar office by email, the
extremists’ claim of having photographic and video evidence of
immoral activity by female staff – being seen with male colleagues
and working in the field without wearing a veil – and asking them to
‘mend their ways’ should not surprise anyone.

The escalation in pressure and blackmail against NGOs working for
public welfare has not come overnight, but is a direct result of the
authorities cowing down to extremists, negotiating with criminals and
ignoring clear signs of dilution of state authority.

The government must take meaningful measures without wasting any more
time to ensure safety, security and freedoms of individuals, as much
for the citizens’ sake as to reassert its authority in a region where
extremists are filling the void left by the State.”

Iqbal Haider

Co-chairperson

(i)

Dawn, November 17, 2008

INDIA’S DEMOCRACY LOCKED IN A LIFE AND DEATH BATTLE TO SURVIVE

by Jawed Naqvi

IT IS not difficult to accept that Pakistani establishment,
particularly its right wing politicians and entrenched India-haters
within the army and bureaucracy, share a vested interest in the rise
of Hindu religious zealots to the helm of power in New Delhi.

It serves their purpose in several ways. The growth of groups like
Bharatiya Janata Party, the RSS and the Shiv Sena rationalises and
justifies the partition to Pakistanis. So that’s an important
psychological victory straightaway. India is innately Hindu in the
communal sense and therefore the Muslim League was right in demanding
a separate homeland for Indian Muslims, the argument gets repeated ad
nauseum.

The other reason for Pakistani right to exult at the rise of the
Hindutva forces is perverse. What better way to destroy the very idea
of India as a viable secular democracy than by encouraging fascist
mindsets to surge and prosper in that country, ad lib the votaries of
this approach. This is not a far-fetched plot. Right-wingers in the
Pakistani establishment have succeeded to a large extent in creating
a Hindu replica of what they have licked into shape in Pakistan in
six decades.

This growing resemblance had prompted progressive Pakistani poet
Fehmida Riaz to lament in her poem when she visited India under BJP’s
care: “Tum bilkul hum jaise nikley, ab tak kahaan chhupe thay
bhai?” (So you have turned out to be just like us, brother. It’s
taken you a while to get there though.) A third and equally widely
shared argument given by the Pakistani establishment to applaud the
BJP’s hold in India posits that only a hard-line nationalist party in
Delhi could solve the “core issue” with Pakistan.

It is of course left nicely unstated that the equation would also
need Pakistan to be led by macho nationalists, and who better than
the army to assume the role? Unfortunately, even left-oriented
intellectuals on both sides of the border seem to subscribe to the
view. Therefore, every time there was a lethal blast with heavy
fatalities in India, and the government blamed the ISI, whether the
spy agency was involved or inspired the perpetrators, the BJP gained
in strength.

And given its affections for the BJP, the right wing establishment in
Pakistan also must have felt good. For homegrown Indian Muslim
groups, however, who stand accused of fomenting terrorist violence in
India, it would seem preposterous to help fortify the BJP. Every time
they carried out, if they did, a bomb attack at a temple or a busy
bazaar they would have known that it could only recoil on them. It
just didn’t make sense for an Indian Muslim group to vent its spleen
against Hindutva leaders in emails to the media and then go on to
attack innocent civilians in acts that could only be exploited by
their enemies to win sympathy, and to target Muslim youths. It is
this puzzle that may be about to be solved, wittingly or otherwise,
by Indian sleuths. They appear to have unearthed a widely connected
group of motivated Hindus in terror plots that were otherwise blamed
on Indian Muslim groups.

This is a qualitatively new beginning in someone’s quest to
revitalise faltering secular ideals of India. So who is this brave
somebody who has picked up such amazing courage to call a spade a
spade? It must require courage after all to link a serving lieutenant
colonel in the Indian army to the bombing of the Samjhauta Express
last year. Until last week the bombing of the Pakistan-bound
passengers last year was being blamed on Pakistan, the ISI and
terrorist groups based in Pakistan. The entire Indian establishment
and much of the media were behind the thesis as is their wont. The
sole political beneficiary of course was the BJP, its right wing
sponsors and supporters. Now we are being told that a certain Lt-Col
Shrikant Purohit had stolen 60kg of RDX explosives from the army’s
warehouse in Jammu and Kashmir, transferring some of it to the
perpetrators of the train blasts, which killed scores of Indian and
Pakistani passengers.

Lt-Col Purohit is said to be a key player in a fanatical group called
Abhinav Bharat, or New India. It has emerged as the unlikely hub of a
terror network across the country. The discovery has embarrassed the
army and it has backed a thorough probe. The outcome of the Purohit
probe could determine the fate of democracy in India. The stakes are
huge. The world is watching. So who is the gritty person who may have
triggered what could be a decisive battle between fascism and
democracy in India? Is it Prime Minister Manmohan Singh? It’s
possible. He is in all likelihood prepared to call it a day after
this tenure since the chances of the Congress winning the next
elections because of his policies are remote. He has nothing to lose
by taking a chance. Or is it Congress leader Sonia Gandhi? With the
probe, she may have found the one big ticket that could clear the
path for her party’s return to power. My own guess is that the
ongoing investigations would not be possible without the involvement
of National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan, although the secular
lobbies in the country seriously mistrust him. There was perhaps a
hint of something like this about to happen, strangely enough, when
the national security advisers of India and Pakistan found themselves
in a potentially groundbreaking embrace last month. That was when the
two agreed that the problems they now faced were “more internal than
external”.

Was the impulse for the meeting a homegrown master move by Narayanan
to help his bosses regain their secular halo or did it come from
Washington as often happens between the two countries? The overriding
American interest as we know is primarily to get its problems in
Pakistan and Afghanistan sorted out. And to that effect, as President-
elect Barack Obama has suggested, bilateral issues between Pakistan
and India could not be left ignored. Which means: Pakistan should be
asked to stop fomenting terrorism in India and India should deliver
the doable in Kashmir and, now, in Afghanistan too where its
influence worries Islamabad.

The problem is that Pakistan could only stop what it had started, but
it could hardly be in a position to do much about something like
Samjhauta Express bombing for obvious reasons. The problem appears to
have been discussed between the two national security advisers. “I
told the prime minister after today’s talks that I agree with you sir
that we share a common destiny with Pakistan,” Narayanan told Mahmud
Ali Durrani in a dinner speech that went largely unreported.

If this is so, a keen American interest under Obama in the threats
posed by Hindutva militants, who derive their financial strength from
America, cannot be ruled out. This despite claims by a few that
somebody tainted with Hindutva is already in the Obama transition
team. It was President Clinton after all who refused to agree with
India’s official claims, when he visited Delhi in March 2000 that a
group of Sikh civilians were massacred just then in Kashmir by
Pakistani militants.

Clinton’s thoughts on the Chittisinghpura massacre are contained in
former US Secretary of State Madeline Albright’s book titled: The
Mighty and the Almighty Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs.

He wrote: “During my visit to India in 2000, some Hindu militants
decided to vent their outrage by murdering thirty-eight Sikhs in cold
blood. If I hadn’t made the trip, the victims would probably still be
alive. If I hadn’t made the trip because I feared what religious
extremists might do, I couldn’t have done my job as president of the
United States. The nature of America is such that many people define
themselves—or a part of themselves—in relation to it, for or against.
This is part of the reality in which our leaders must operate.” Words
of wisdom the new president would do well to heed.

o o o

(ii)

The Hindu, November 20, 2008

Editorial

UGLY DEFENCE OF THE INDEFENSIBLE

When someone takes to offence as a form of defence of the
unjustifiable, the outcome turns nasty. The Bharatiya Janata Party,
which was on the political offensive over the last decade on an anti-
Islamist terrorism plank, is clearly shaken by the revelations of the
role of extremist Hindutva elements in the Malegaon bomb explosions
and some other terrorist attacks. As news broke of the alleged
involvement of Sadhvi Pragnya Singh Thakur in the bomb blasts, BJP
leaders first tried to distance themselves from her. On October 30,
party president Rajnath Singh said he was embarrassed to find that he
had been photographed with her. The next day the party’s prime-
minister-in-waiting, L.K. Advani, took the politically correct stand
that the sadhvi should be punished if found guilty. All this changed
quickly enough with the Hindutva command centre, the Rashtriya
Swayamsevak Sangh, deciding to back her to the hilt. Mr. Singh went
over the top, claiming that those who believed in “cultural
nationalism” — a euphemism for the sangh parivar’s highly toxic
communal politics — could never take to terror and voicing his
suspicion of a frame-up. But more significantly, the heavyweight Mr.
Advani spelt out a new line, condemning the “barbaric treatment” of a
“spiritual person,” seeking a judicial probe into her dramatised
allegations of torture, and assailing “the manner in which
unsubstantiated allegations have been made against serving Army
personnel [Lt. Col. Shrikant Purohit].” No one can miss the irony of
such statements coming from the top leaders of a party that has tried
to position itself as India’s foremost adversary of terrorism. Indeed
the BJP, which attacked the Jamia Millia Islamia’s offer of legal
assistance to two Muslim students accused of involvement in bomb
blasts, now has no qualms about supporting alleged terrorists of the
saffron kind. Every accused is constitutionally entitled to legal
assistance but political support to those accused of serious crimes,
especially terrorist acts, is an entirely different matter.

Clearly, the BJP’s stance on Malegaon has nothing to do with the
principle that a person must be presumed innocent unless proved
guilty. It is a stance of blanket opposition to the law of the land
bringing to justice sangh parivar elements accused of terrorist
crimes. The double standard aside, the BJP is guilty of seeking to
politicise, pressure, and derail the legal investigation of the
Malegaon explosions and the conspiracy behind them by Maharashtra
Anti-Terrorism Squad. It is particularly shocking that Mr. Advani, a
former Union Home Minister, going on nothing but the hysterical words
of an accused, charged the ATS with being politically motivated and
unprofessional in its investigation. The parivar has a track record
of applauding the ATS whenever it acted against alleged Islamist
terrorists. Blinded by its communal agenda, the main opposition party
has gone dangerously over the top in the cause of Hindutva.

o o o

(iii)

Kashmir Times
November 20, 2008

COMBATING HINDUTVA TERROR
Secular forces must unite to frustrate nefarious designs of saffron
brigade

The arrests of some serving and retired army officers, self-
proclaimed saints, so-called godmen and the activists of the sangh
parivar in connection with the blasts at Malegaon and other places
have not only exposed the naked fascism and terrorism of the saffron
brigade but have also revealed the extent of penetration of the RSS
and its outfits in the country’s vital institutions. Shockingly, the
Hindu fascists have not only found their place in bureaucracy and
other wings of the services, apart from the legislatures in large
numbers but have also penetrated into the armed forces and even
judiciary, the watchdog of democracy. The systematic process of such
penetration into various democratic and secular institutions apart
from the country’s social and political life started  right after
independence and more than any one it is the Congress and other
secular parties which would be blamed for this kind of situation.
RSS’s role in the communal holocaust in the wake of  India’s
partition was too well known to allow it to continue its activities
in secular India. RSS, Hindu Mahasabha and  some other parties which
openly believed in the concept of a theocratic state and thus were
opposed to secularism should have no legal right to exist in a
secular country. RSS not only stood for India as a Hindu nation but
also considered the minorities like Muslims, Christians and Parsis as
aliens who, according to erstwhile RSS chief M.S.Golwalkar cannot be
treated as citizens of India and as such should either stay as second
class citizens denied of all rights or should be driven out. The
demand for banning such organizations after independence was
unfortunately was not heeded by the Congress which assumed power. It
was only after the assassination of Gandhiji on January 30 in 1948
that a ban was imposed on RSS and a number of its leaders and
activists as also V.D. Savarkar were arrested for their alleged
involvement in the conspiracy to kill the father of the nation.
However, succumbing to the pressure of communal forces and as a
matter of political convenience the ban on RSS was removed with its
chief  assuring to function in a democratic manner. (Intriguingly
while such a ban imposed in Jammu and Kashmir was never lifted the
RSS was allowed to continue and expand its activities in the state).

The involvement of RSS and its various offsprings in the large number
of communal riots  since independence is an established fact. Still
nothing was done by the  proclaimed secular state to outlaw such
organizations working for destroying the secular fabric of the
country. On the contrary the RSS and its political outfits like the
Jana Sangh (now BJP)  could increasingly penetrate into the country’s
social, political and administrative life only due to the
compromising attitude of the secular parties. While the Congress
adopted a soft Hindutva policy keeping in view the majority vote bank
it were the  parties with clear commitment for secularism and
socialism which provided a kind of respectability to the RSS and its
political wing. It was the veteran socialist leader, Dr Ram Manohar
Lohia, who out of his anti-Congress obsession and with a view to oust
it from power floated the idea of samukta vidayak dals (SVDs) with
his Socialist Party joining hands with the Jana Sangh. That made the
RSS outfit possible not only to increase its legislative strength and
gain respectability but also to form coalition governments in
alliance with a staunch secular party. Again it was due to another
veteran socialist leader Jayaprakash Narayan, who led the movement
against the black Emergency imposed by Indira Gandhi in 1975  by
uniting various non-Congress parties under the banner of Janata
Party, that the Jana Sangh as its constituent managed to share power
with the socialists and erstwhile Congress leaders like Morarji
Desai. However, before his death JP, known for his secular
credentials and unimpeachable integrity, regretted the decision of
embracing RSS. It was another socialist leader, Madhu Limaye who,
along with George Fernandez, Sharad Yadav and other socialists, was
instrumental in undoing the mistake of joining hands with RSS by
raising the issue of duel membership. This brought the Janata
experiment and its rule to an end. Some of the erstwhile socialist
leaders like George Fernandez, Sharad Yadav  and several others
failed to learn any lesson from their past mistakes and again joined
the BJP and other communal outfits merely for the sake of power.

It is a tragedy that the Congress and other secular parties have
failed to understand the grave danger that the emergence of Hindutva
forces and their terrorism have been posing not only to the secular
character of the country but also to the very survival of India as a
state.  If the onward march of the Hidutva fascism is not checked
there is every danger of India soon turning into a theocratic Hindu
nation. This will destroy the very idea of India, its pluralistic
character and the very cherished value of our freedom struggle. It’s
time for secular parties to join hands and unite on a single plank of
defeating the BJP and its outfits and frustrating their nefarious
designs.  The Congress government at the Centre must shed its
complacency,  abandon its soft Hindutva approach, and launch an
ideological battle against the fascist communal forces. At the same
time there is need to weed out such elements from various vital
organs of the state.

o o o

(iv)

The Hindu, November 21, 2008

RELIGIOUS RIGHT AND ITS POLITICAL FUTURE

by Harish Khare

The controversy over Sadhvi Pragnya Singh Thakur, accused of terror
activities, is once again testing the depth of constitutional values
in our politics.
The Religious Right has grafted for itself a new layer of ideological
justification
It is making its last ditch attempt to induce young India

http://tinyurl.com/6b42rp

expressbuzz.com
Editorial

NO ROOM FOR TASLIMA

The secular establishment has let down Taslima Nasreen again. She was
first hounded out from her adopted city of Kolkata following
demonstrations against her by a Muslim group.

The Left Front government was so eager at the time to placate the
minority community that it didn’t bother to consider whether
kowtowing to a demand based on bigotry was in accordance with either
Marxism or secularism. The Bangladeshi author was first flown to
Jaipur, but since refuge in a BJP-ruled state was embarrassing for
both the communists and the Centre, she was brought back to Delhi,
but only to be kept under virtual house arrest. Pranab Mukherjee and
Priya Ranjan Das Munshi, both of whom belong to West Bengal, also
warned her to be careful of what she says and writes.

Now, she has to pack her bags again because, according to her, the
Centre gave her a resident permit for six months with the “secret
condition” that she must leave the country at the expiry of the term.

It may not be too fanciful to link the denial of hospitality to the
controversial writer to the proximity of a series of assembly polls
which are to be followed after a few months by the general election.
At a time like this when the Congress is not too sure of its fate, it
evidently thought it prudent not to offend the Muslims in any way
even if its concept of catering to their sensitiveness means
pandering to the fundamentalists among them. Since this has been the
pattern of the party’s conduct ever since the ban on Salman Rushdie’s
The Satanic Verses, it is hardly surprising that it is following the
line of least resistance yet again. But what is curious is that the
Left, too, hasn’t demurred, apparently because it also wants to play
safe, notwithstanding all its protestations about opposing
retrogressive forces. So, when the comrades say that their fight is
against imperialism and communalism, they are not referring to the
Islamic version. The Congress’s pusillanimity in the matter of
standing up for artistic freedom is essentially no different from its
failure to act against the vandalism of Raj Thackeray now and of his
uncle in an earlier period. The cowardice stems from a lack of
principles and the fear of alienating an identifiable group of voters.

It will be laughable, therefore, if the Congress and the Left claim
to be champions of secularism during the election campaign.

sacw.net | November 21, 2008
http://www.sacw.net/article328.html

AN OPEN LETTER TO MS. SONAL SHAH, MEMBER OF PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA’S
TRANSITION ADVISORY BOARD

“Your recent statement on Hindu nationalist groups raises more
questions than it answers.”

November 20, 2008

Dear Ms. Shah,

We are a coalition of Indian-American groups and individuals
representing diverse faiths, interests, and political affiliations,
who are looking forward to working with the administration of
President Obama to ensure that the interests of all Indian-Americans
have a place in its policies. We represent families who have
grievously suffered from the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) led pogroms
against Muslim minorities of Gujarat in 2002; Christians, whose
communities and places of worship are under assault by VHP and its
various creations for no other reason than the faith they were born
in, or chose; Hindus and human rights activists who have been
fighting, often at great peril to their persons, against religious
bigotry and violence being fanned by the VHP, the Rashtriya
Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), and their various incarnations in India as
well as in the United States (the Sangh Parivar).

As you can understand, we are legitimately concerned about reports of
your personal links with the VHP — whose social values, politics, and
actions are antithetical to President-elect Obama’s message of hope
and inclusiveness — and how those links might possibly influence your
role in the transition team and the new administration’s policies
towards India and Indian-Americans.

Your recent public statement, therefore, that your “personal politics
have nothing in common with the views espoused by the Vishwa Hindu
Parishad (VHP), the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), or any such
organization” is a welcome one, and we fully expect that your actions
on the transition team will be faithful to that assertion.

However, your statement does not allay all of our concerns, given the
irrefutable public record of your and your family’s linkages to the
VHP and other Sangh Parivar organizations, as confirmed in recent
utterances by RSS circles in India and by VHP America. We would like
to share those concerns with you in the hope that you will respond to
them:

To begin with, like you, many of us were engaged in relief work in
the aftermath of the 2001 Gujarat earthquake, when we came away with
admiration for Gujarat’s civil society, despite persistent
allegations that VHP and RSS were cynically using the disaster relief
efforts to further their sectarian agendas. Many of us returned to
Gujarat promptly in 2002 to provide relief and succor to battered
Muslim (and Hindu) families, following the unprecedented violence
directed against them — this time despite the openly obstructionist
tactics of the Gujarat government. This period was followed by
systematic intimidation of activists by the state: e.g. frivolous
lawsuits against Ms. Mallika Sarabhai, a renowned artist and
community activist, which prompted the Supreme Court of India to
intervene on her behalf. And more recently, emboldened by their
impunity in Gujarat, the Sangh Parivar has been orchestrating wide-
spread violence against Christians in several BJP and BJP-partnered
states of India, which has renewed the public demand for a ban on the
VHP and its affiliate, the Bajrang Dal.

We remind you of this recent history to express our dismay and
disappointment that at no time during this terrible period are we
aware of any statement from you dissociating yourself from these
dreadful acts of VHP and RSS, especially given your proximity to
these organizations: As a person associated with VHP/RSS’s earthquake
relief efforts in 2001, we are not aware of any acknowledgment from
you of their widely reported sectarian bias in providing relief. We
are not aware of any assistance from you or by IndiCorps to the
thousands of families affected by the 2002 communal pogroms, nor are
we aware of your speaking out against the funding of organizations
implicated in these hate campaigns by charities in the United States,
with some of whom you have been partnering. And, more recently, we
have not heard any condemnation from you of the spate of violence
against Christian Adivasis being orchestrated by VHP, for which the
BJP-partnered government in Orissa has been severely indicted by
India’s National Commission for Minorities.

In the face of these facts, your bold assertion that you have “always
condemned any politics of division, of ethnic or religious hatred, of
violence and intimidation as a political tool” is deeply troubling.

Furthermore, the revelation that you were part of the inner circle of
VHP America at the time of the Gujarat earthquake indicates that your
role was not confined only to humanitarian relief — an important
detail that you did not address in your statement. And your
consistent support for Ekal Vidyalayas (a VHP-founded movement with
the major objective of countering Christianity among Adivasis), which
has been found by the Human Resources Ministry of Government of India
to be conditioning the minds of young children against religious
minorities, adds to our fear that you have not fully distanced
yourself from VHP’s intolerant, anti-minority ideology.

As you know better than most of us, President-elect Obama set a high
standard of openness and personal accountability for himself during
the campaign. We note from recent events that he is setting a similar
standard of transparency for the transition team. In that spirit, we
hope that you too will take personal responsibility for your
undeniable past links with the Sangh Parivar and reconcile your
recent statement against the VHP and the RSS with your silence amidst
the most egregious human rights violations by them in Gujarat and
elsewhere. We further hope that you will unequivocally disown and
repudiate your and your family’s past and current associations with
the VHP and all other Sangh Parivar organizations. And, as a
prominent Indian-American, we hope that you will join us in our call
to the governments of India, Gujarat, and Orissa to speedily bring
justice and rehabilitation to the thousands of victims of the Sangh
Parivar’s anti-minority violence and to take immediate and effective
measures to prevent such violence in the future. These steps will
lend much credence to your statement that you do not subscribe to the
views of Hindu nationalist groups. As for your comment that you have
been the subject of “Ridiculous tactics of guilt by association”:

Being everyday victims of guilt by association in the US as well as
in India for being Muslims, especially in Gujarat, many of us can and
do recognize the insidious nature of blog postings that you may be
the subject of. Others among us have been the target of preposterous
accusations by supporters of VHP and RSS and have been labeled as
anti-Hindu, anti-Indian, pro-terrorist, etc., for seeking justice for
India’s minorities.

In contrast, your family’s connections with the Sangh Parivar have
been long, deep, well documented, and presumably continue to this
day. So we must respectfully reject any parallels drawn between
attempts during the campaign to find President-elect Obama guilty by
association and legitimate questions about your past affiliations.

In closing, the Indian and Indian-American media have widely covered
your appointment to the transition team with justifiable pride, and
have spoken very highly of your credentials. We join them in
congratulating you and in applauding President-elect Obama for
demonstrating his commitment to true diversity by appointing an
Indian-American woman to his closest advisory board. We have no doubt
that you will bring your expertise to bear upon the many difficult
decisions that the transition team will have to make in the next few
weeks. But we also sincerely hope that your actions on the team will
be mindful of the welfare and aspirations of all Indians, including
minority communities, which are under unprecedented attacks by Hindu
nationalist groups.

We wish you all the best in your endeavors and we look forward to
your response.

Sincerely,

A Coalition of Concerned Indian-Americans

For further information on this letter, please contact:

     * Dr. Angana Chatterji, achatterji at ciis.edu, phone
415-575-6119/415-640-4013
     * Ravi Ravishankar, ra.ravishankar at gmail.com, phone 503-867-0853
     * Dr. Shaikh Ubaid, su204 at aol.com, phone 516-567-0783

Endorsing Organizations:

     * American Muslim Physicians of Indian Origin (AMPI)
     * Association of Indian Muslims in America (AIM), Washington DC
     * Friends of South Asia (FOSA), San Jose, California
(www.friendsofsouthasia.org)
     * India Foundation, Michigan
     * Indian Muslim Council (IMC), Morton Grove, Illinois (www.imc-
usa.org)
     * Indian Muslim Education Foundation (IMEFNA), North America
     * International Service Society, Michigan
     * Non-Resident Indians for a Secular and Harmonious India (NRI-
SAHI), Michigan
     * Sikh American Heritage Organization, Wayne, Illinois
     * South Asian Network for Secularism and Democracy (SANSAD),
Greater Vancouver, Canada (sansad.org)
     * Supporters of Human Rights in India (SHRI)
     * The Coalition for a Secular Democratic India (CSDI), Chicago.
Illinois
     * Vaishnava Center for Enlightenment, Michigan

Personal Endorsements:

George Abraham
  Girish Agrawal
  Rasheed Ahmed
  Shahid Ali, M.D.
  Khalid Azam
  Dr. Chinmoy Banerjee
  Dr. Angana Chatterji
  Nasir Chippa
  Gautam Desai
  Shalini Gera
  Sapna Gupta
  Nishrin Hussain
  Mohammad Imran
  Imtiazuddin
  Kaleem Kawaja
  Attaulla Khan
  Wasim Khan, MD, MPH
  Alex V. Koshy
  Kursheed A. Mallick, M.D.
  Saeed Patel
  Shrikumar Poddar
  Raju Rajagopal
  Ravi Ravishankar
  Dr. Svati Shah
  Dr. Hari Sharma
  Ramkumar Sridharan
  Raja Swamy
  Dr. Shaikh Ubaid

media at coalitionagainstgenocide.org.

Coalition Against Genocide | 6321 W. Dempster St. | Suite# 295 |
Morton Grove | IL | 60053-2848

______

[7]  Announcements:

(i)

SANSAD is proud to organize, and cordially invite you to, an informal
forum on:

Religion and Politics in Pakistan
Under the shadow of US-NATO war in Afghanistan

Sunday, November 30, 2008
12 Noon to 3 p.m.
Meeting Room in 131 Regiment Square (Spectrum Complex), Vancouver
(see directions below)

speaker:
Dr. Mohammad Waseem
Former Fellow of St Anthony's College, Oxford; currently a Professor
of Political Science at Lahore University of Management Sciences
(LUMS), Pakistan

Samosa type refreshments provided

Regiment Square is a short walk from the Stadium Skytrain Station.
Exit toward Beatty Street, cross Dunsmuir and walk South on Beatty.
Do not go up to Georgia. Just past the Armory tanks and guns, turn
left into the cul-de-sac. Entrance to 131 Regiment Square (a tall
residential tower) is at the end, on the left side.

For further information, contact
Zahid Macdoom 604-760-1290
Dr. Haider Nizamani : 6054-228-0349, or cell: 6-4-307-3744
Dr. Hari Sharma: 604-2972

SANSAD
# 435, 552A Clark Road,
Coquitlam (Metro Vancouver),  B.C., Canada, V3K 6Z8

- - -

(iii)

PUCL cordially invites
you with family and friends to the

Fourth
V M TARKUNDE MEMORIAL LECTURE
to be held on
November 23, 2008at 4:00 pm
at
Gandhi
Peace Foundation,
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Marg, Delhi

Prabhash Joshi
Former Editor-in-Chief, Jansatta

will deliver the Lecture

Ravikran Jain
(Vice President , PUCL)

will
preside over the function
Kindly reach on time.

K G Kannabiran Pushkar Raj
President General Secretary
Mahi
Pal SinghGeneral Secretary, Delhi PUCL

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/