SACW | May 7-8, 2008 / Pakistan: 'Peace' With Taliban / Sri Lanka: a split JVP / India: Conversions; regional chauvinism; weekend with Sangh ; Bhopal ; Lawyers as Judges; Philosophy of Coca Cola / Alert for Sentenced Iranian activists

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:50:43 CDT 2008

South Asia Citizens Wire | May 7-8, 2008 | Dispatch No. 2513 - Year 10 running

[1] Pakistan: This Business of Making Peace
'Deals' With Fascists (Irfan Husain)
[2] Sri Lanka: The Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna Split (Jayadeva Uyangoda)
[3] India: Religious Conversion - a political weapon (Ram Puniyani)
[4] India: Local regional chauvinism vs cosmopolitan urban space
     (i) City of dreadful knights (Sagarika Ghose)
    (ii) Letter to Bal Thackeray: Gunning for culture (Jawed Naqvi)
[5] India: Hindutva Networking
      - Crystal gazing Hindutva boss and his
scientist friends party with OM made coconuts
      - Hindutva merry-go-rounds for Bangalore techies
[6] India: Bhopal - hundreds of new victims are born each year (Randeep Ramesh)
[7] India: When Lawyers Masquerade As Judges ! (Subhash Gatade)
[8] The Philosophy of Coca Cola (Ashis Nandy)
[9] Iran: Very Urgent ! Alert for Sentenced Iranian activists
[10] Announcements:
   - Citizens protests for judges in Karachi,
Lahore and Islamabad on Thursday, 8 May 2008
   - An evening of readings and recollections on 1971 (Karachi, 11 May 2008)

Dawn
May 03, 2008

MAKING PEACE WITH MILITANTS

by Irfan Husain

AS cracks appear in the newly formed ruling
coalition in Islamabad, there are other ominous
signs on the horizon. The attempts to negotiate a
truce with Baitullah Mehsud, the leader of the
Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have far more
serious implications for Pakistan than political
hiccups in the capital.

When the firebrand Maulana Mohammad Sufi was
released from jail recently, he said he would not
return to his terrorist ways, but would continue
fighting for the imposition of the Sharia in
Malakand and Swat. This, incidentally, is the
same cleric whose fiery rhetoric sent thousands
of young Pakistanis to Afghanistan on the eve of
the American attack after 9/11. Hundreds did not
return, and angry, grieving parents would have
vented their fury against him had he not begged
the authorities to jail him.

His son-in-law is Maulana Fazlullah, the cleric
who has been waging war against the state in Swat
in order to impose a Taliban-like system in that
lovely valley. Hundreds have been killed, and
scores of families have sought refuge elsewhere.
The army has imposed an uneasy calm on the area.

On the face of it, there appears nothing wrong
with making peace with these militants, and
others of their ilk. After all, the argument
goes, they are Pakistanis, and we should not be
fighting them at America's behest. And as recent
bloody events have proved, these terrorists have
the means and the motivation to strike hard and
deep at targets across Pakistan.

Another reason that is advanced to justify
negotiations is that force has already been
tried, but to little avail. Under Musharraf, the
army proved unable to defeat the militants,
losing nearly 1,000 soldiers in fierce battles.
Hundreds more have surrendered. Finally, this
undeclared civil war has resulted in many deaths
among the civilians who shelter and conceal the
jihadis.

For all these reasons, the policy of
confrontation, adopted by Musharraf with
Washington's prodding, has been condemned across
the political spectrum. While we need to review
the policy, we must understand what we are being
asked to accept in exchange for a temporary truce.

Firstly, even though the militants may not hit
targets within Pakistan, they will certainly
launch cross-border attacks into Afghanistan.
Secondly, while they have promised to expel
foreign terrorists from the tribal areas, there
is no way to ensure this has actually been done.
And once the army withdraws from these lawless
lands, a key TTP demand, who will monitor the
movements and activities of Mehsud and his
henchmen?

It should be clear that these holy warriors are
driven by utopian dreams and hard cash: greater
freedom of movement and a respite from army
action will allow them to move arms, heroin and
fighters more easily. They have already imposed
their own brand of Islamic law upon the hapless
tribals who live here. And the menace is
spreading.

Those who advocate Sharia law should think long
and hard about the implications. We saw the
Taliban impose their version in Afghanistan when
women were lashed for the slightest infringement
of barbaric laws; ancient statues were destroyed;
and music was banned. Is this the kind of
Pakistan we would like to live in?

There are those who say the Taliban went too far,
and advocate the Saudi model instead. Having
struggled for democracy for so long, do we really
want to be ruled by ignorant mullahs? In
Pakistan, a number of women have distinguished
themselves by excelling in their chosen fiel ds.
Benazir Bhutto, Fatima Jinnah and Asma Jehangir
are only some of the better-known figures. There
are many more who have carved out formidable
reputations in the face of heavy odds. In Saudi
Arabia, women are not allowed to even drive cars
or travel without permission from their mahrams.
Is this the kind of Pakistan we would like to
live in?

When people speak glibly of 'Islam being a
complete way of life for all times', they forget
the crucial role of ijtihad. This concept of
change and evolution through consensus is at the
heart of adapting the system to new
circumstances. Clearly, tribal laws from the
medieval era were never intended to be applied in
a period of massive social and political change.
I am no Islamic scholar, but I am a student of
history, a discipline that teaches us that unless
systems and species adapt, they die.

The basic reason why most mullahs reject the
central concept of ijtihad is that a rigid,
literal interpretation of holy texts gives them
an authority they would not enjoy if a modern,
rational approach was taken towards understanding
the spirit of religion. More learned Islamic
scholars fear a multiplicity of opinions might
take the faith away from its origins. But this is
a risk we will have to take if we do not want the
Muslim world to be left further behind.
Ultimately, we have to ask ourselves what Muslims
have contributed to world civilisation over the
last 500 years.

These are some of the questions we need to pose
when we talk of appeasing the militants who
threaten not only Pakistan, but the region and
countries far away. People like Baitullah Mehsud,
Osama Bin Laden and Mullah Omar thrive in
conditions of anarchy. Angry young men flock to
their banners when they are poor and uneducated.
Others see them as romantic revolutionaries who
want to change the world. But what they seek is
power, and unable to win it through the ballot
box, they use terror to push their agenda.

Judged objectively, the wars we have fought thus
far have been largely of our own making. None of
them was the result of existential threats to
Pakistan. But the war imposed on us by militants
such as Baitullah Mehsud and Mullah Fazlullah
threatens our freedom and our way of life. It is
not a conflict of our choosing, but it is one we
will have to fight unless we want to end up like
Afghanistan under the Taliban, or as a poor
version of Saudi Arabia. Ultimately, we have to
decide what kind of country we want to live in.

Economic and Political Weekly
May 03, 2008

THE JANATHA VIMUKTHI PERAMUNA SPLIT
by  Jayadeva Uyangoda

The radical, Sinhalese nationalist Janatha
Vimukthi Peramuna has split, the real reasons for
which are not yet clear. Among the various
possible reasons are the mainstream jvp's unease
with a breakaway faction's Sinhalese-Buddhist
nationalist project and the collision of the
Sinhalese nationalist and class struggle lines
within the party. It is also a dispute about
coalition strategies that has spilled on to the
domain of personal relations. For now, the
Rajapakse administration is the beneficiary.
[. . .].
FULL TEXT: http://www.epw.org.in/epw//uploads/articles/12204.pdf

CONVERSION: A POLITICAL WEAPON IN INDIA

by Ram Puniyani (May 6, 2008)

These days one has been hearing a lot about the
conversion activities of Christian missionaries.
That there is a threat to Hindu nation due to
Adivasis converting to a 'foreign religion' is
becoming part of 'social common sense' by now.
Yes conversions are going on, but the real face
of the conversion came to fore when the attack on
nuns in Alibaug near Mumbai (March 2008) was
followed by a massive conversion of Adivasis to
Hinduism, Shuddhi ritual (April 27, 2008) in
Mumbai. The person involved in both these has
been the same. In the attack on the Adivasis, the
followers of Sadguru Narendra Maharaj of
Ramanandcharya Peeth were involved and in the
elaborate Shuddhi ritual the Guru himself led the
conversion. Talking on the occasion he said the
Hindus are being reduced to a pitiable minority
in the country because of the activities of
Christian missionaries. He also came down heavily
on the central Government for not pushing through
the anti conversion bill and criticized the
Maharashtra Government for passing the anti
Superstition bill. According to him both these
steps are anti Hindu.

His claim that Hindus are being reduced to
minority is a stuff of make believe world as
demographically India's Hindu population is
fairly stable. Also though there is a marginal
decline in the population of Christians, this
again is close to negligible. If we consider the
occasional change in the logistics of conducting
the census one can explain the marginal
rise/decline of one or the other community and
this has not much to do with proselytizing by any
religious group. The example of this is the
inclusion of Kashmir in 2001 census due to which
the overall percentage of Muslim population
seemed to have gone up and the total population
of Hindus seemed to dip slightly.

The criticism by Guru, Narendra Maharaj, is
against the grain of Indian constitution, goals
of enlightenment and progress of rationalism in
the society. The anti conversion bills which many
state Governments have passed/are passing are
totally against several articles of our
constitution. Our constitution encourages the
promotion of rational thought, in pursuance of
which Maharashtra Government has done the
laudable job of passing anti superstition bill.
Those opposing this bill surely want the
persistence of blind faith in society, it is this
which strengthens their social and political
clout and Guru is forthright as far as that is
concerned. The same Guru's followers are adept to
violence off and on. In Alibaug the people had
assembled to hear a lecture on AIDS awareness
when his followers assaulted the nuns. Again his
followers were earlier involved in an act of
rampage following the airport security staff not
permitting his holy dandam (Staff) to be carried
on the flight along with him.

How does one understand the rising incidence of
violence in Adivasi areas? One recalls just
around the Christmas time, massive violence was
unleashed in Kandhmal and Phulbani districts of
Orissa. In most of the Adivasi areas Dangs,
Gujarat, Jhabua Madhya Pradesh, areas of Orissa,
there has been a recurrent violence. It is these
areas which have seen the conversion of Adivasis
into Hindu fold. One must clarify that Adivasis
are Animists, neither Christians nor Hindus.
While some conversions to Christianity have been
occurring they are not new as Christianity has
been here from centuries. These conversions are
due to many reason, missionaries work in the area
of education being the main ones. This is nothing
new. Also it is a slow process. In recent times
on the contrary the overall population of
Christians has been declining marginally
(1991-2.60%, 1981-2.44%, 1991-2.34, 2001-2.30%)
Part of the conversion surly is due to some
groups amongst Christian missionaries who do
believe in aggressive proselytization. The
Adivasi areas have invited the wrath of RSS
combine from last two decades in particular since
Vanvasi Kalyan Ashram, an RSS affiliate
intensified its activities in Adivasi areas.

The pattern of RSS affiliate activities is fairly
uniform in the Adivasi belt spread from Dangs in
Gujarat to Kandhmal in Orissa. There is the EKAL
Vidyalaya, a single teacher school to give very
elementary education. Then there is a vicious
anti Christian propaganda leading to violence.
This violence is low intensity and recurrent and
lately it is orchestrated more around the
Christmas time. Since this takes place in remote
places the culprits can get away easily and on
the top of that a communalized state apparatus is
very helpful to those RSS affiliates who unleash
the violence. In these areas various Godmen with
RSS affiliation, direct or indirect, have been
setting up their Ashrams, Aseemanand; Dangs and
Lakshmananand in Orissa are amongst the two major
such, who are working for these conversions in
various ways. In MP, Jhabua, the followers of
Asaram Bapu have been taking to violence and now
we witness that in the anti Christian violence in
Maharashtra, the followers of Narendra Maharaj
are active.

There are multiple processes through which these
conversions have been undertaken. Usually
violence and intimidation is accompanied by
cultural cooption. This latter has been done by
holding huge Hindu Sangams (Congregations) like
in Jhabua, and in Rajasthan and by holding Shabri
kumbh (religious congregation in the name of the
destitute adivasi woman Shabri, e.g. in Dangs.
The conversion has been the major political tool
of Dilip Singh Judeo, one who was caught taking
bribe while he was forest minister, who has been
doing this in Adivasi areas of Madhya Pradesh
from last several years. The term Sanskritzation
can also help us understand these conversions, an
expectation of upward mobility in social
hierarchy. The process of conversion to Hinduism
has been called Ghar Vapsi or Shuddhikaran on the
premise that Adivasis are Hindus. Here the
definition of Hindu is not a religious one but a
political one. Theologically religion is defined
according to holy book, the revered deity and the
clergy. Since Hinduism is not a prophet based
religion its latest definition was constructed in
early 20th century as religion of all those who
regard this land as their father land and holy
land (Savarkar). This is unmindful of the fact
that Advasis are primarily animists and do not
fall in the category of religion as a social
phenomenon applicable to Hindus, Muslims,
Christians etc.

Adivasis are the most deprived lot of the society
and RSS combine has targeted them for political
reasons, not for their own welfare. As during the
early 1920s, to consolidate the communal
politics, Shuddhi movement (Hindu Communalism)
was unleashed in parallel to Tanzim (Muslim
communalism), now again the Shuddhi is back to
strengthen the communal politics. The only
difference is that during the twentieth century
it was parallel to Tanzim, now it has been
constructed around the fear of Christians to
consolidate its social base and practice.
Interestingly the concept of purity and pollution
of Brahminical tradition are displayed very
prominently in this process. Brahminical
rigidities have a clearly defined pure and
polluted. While some right wing politicians
assert that many other religions look down upon
other religions, we the Hindus recognize all to
be equal. As per this word Shuddhi, those who are
not Hindus are regarded as polluted and so this
purification ritual for bringing them into the
fold of Hinduism, which by implication is pure.
Various types of baths given at the time of
conversion signify this purification, external
cleansing signifying total purity, which makes
one fit enough to be Hindu. Interestingly after
the Chavdar Talao and Mahad agitation by Dr.
Ambedkar, the lake, which was polluted due to
Shudras touching it, was purified by mixing cow
dung in the same.

Ghar Vapasi word has been cleverly coined. While
browbeating Christian missionaries for
conversions, to say that 'we' are also converting
Adivasis will sound as if 'we' are also doing
similar thing. So while what others do is
despicable conversion, what 'we' do is to bring
them to their original home! The propaganda
behind this says that Adivasis are essentially
those Hindus who ran away to forests to escape
the conversions by Muslim kings. In forests they
kept living for long because of which they kept
sliding down on the scale of social hierarchy.
This concoction serves two purposes. One, it
feeds into the misconception that Islam spread by
sword. Second, if Adivasis are original
inhabitants then Aryans/Hindus who came from
outside, are also akin to 'foreigner' Muslim and
Christians. This in turn will weaken the Hindu
nation's claim as first comers and so the sole
proprietors of this land, country or whatever.
Accordingly Adivasis are called Vanvasis and the
claim of this land being Hindu nation, the one
belonging to first comers, Aryans-Hindus holds
the ground. This way Hindu nation's claim on the
country becomes stronger, as they can also claim
to be its original inhabitants.

The attention to Adivasis, to throw away
Christian Missionaries from those areas and to
co-opt Adivasis to Hindu fold, became overt from
the decade of 1980, coinciding with the rise of
Ram Janm bhumi campaign, coinciding with global
rise of identity politics and local rise of
communal politics. This came with RSS combine's
realization that to impose Hindu rashtra in this
country the electoral majority is needed as a
starting point. And this 8% population can be the
wonderful electoral base for the right wing
politics. The second advantage is that by
indoctrinating them they can be unleashed against
the 'other enemies' of Hindu nation, like
Muslims, as witnessed in Gujarat, where they were
used as ideal foot soldiers for the agenda of
Hindu Rashtra.

While one has no problems with the peaceful
missionary work of Ramakrishna mission or
Christian missionaries one is aghast at this new
phenomenon, violence followed by conversions, in
our society whose primary focus is political,
though couched in the language of religion. More
human welfare activities in these areas, more
emphasis on human rights concerns of this
marginalized section of society are what are
needed. By emphasizing on blind faith, by
spreading hate against other section of society,
this phenomenon started by the ilk of Gurus is
very dangerous to national Integration and
country's progress.

______

[4]  LOCAL REGIONAL CHAUVINISM VS COSMOPOLITAN URBAN SPACE

(i)

Hindustan Times
May 06, 2008

CITY OF DREADFUL KNIGHTS

by Sagarika Ghose

Ah, the great Indian city! The lack of urban
infrastructure destroying the infrastructure of
the human soul. By 2020 Mumbai will have a
population of 20 million. Bangalore, already with
6.5 million inhabitants has seen phenomenal
growth. Three hundred million Indians live in
urban areas; the figure will spurt by 40 per cent
in the next 11 years. Whatever the rural
romantics may say, India's future is irreversibly
urban. Mumbai and Bangalore are symbols of the
urban Indian dream, the first, whose present
chief minister claims will be a new Shanghai, the
second, which a former cm wanted to make into
another Singapore.

But forget Shanghai and Singapore, which instead
are the voices that are speaking the loudest for
the Indian city? The new voices that are yelling
into the urban skyline are anything but urbane or
metropolitan. In Mumbai, the Maharashtra
Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray has
declared war on north Indians, mimicking what he
calls their strange accents, noisy pujas, nasty
civic manners and demanding preferential
treatment in jobs for local Maharashtrians. Raj
Thackeray wants north Indians out of Mumbai. In
Bangalore, as the campaign for the forthcoming
assembly elections gathers momentum, another 'son
of the soil' is also demanding reservations for
locals. H.D. Deve Gowda's political manifesto
demands 30 per cent reservation of jobs in the
infotech and biotech sectors for local Kannadigas.

What do Raj Thackeray and Deve Gowda have in
common? In a fast-changing urban milieu, as
cities and their enterprises turn global,
Thackeray and Deve Gowda have turned aggressively
local. In a modernising economy, they have found
the shortest possible political ticket to the
largest possible grievance - the ever growing
grievance of being left out of new jobs that are
on offer in a growing economy. Mumbai has always
attracted ambitious outsiders. The stock market,
Bollywood, organised crime, the vast informal
sector, the corporate sector, and the rags to
riches possibilities were heady. The singing
Johnny Walker was the embodiment of the
happy-go-lucky urbanism of Mumbai. Bangalore was
once a sleepy pensioner's paradise with its
splendid old rain trees shading the streets from
sun, yet has always been a city of strategic and
intellectual significance. From the 1950s, the
Nehruvian vision dreamt Bangalore's 'modern'
identity into existence. Around the parks and
bungalows, rose Isro, DRDO, HAL, NAL, giant
public bodies that provided the city with the
research institutions and industrial growth that
created a professional educated middle-class,
spurring the subsequent achievements in infotech
and biotechnology.

Sixty per cent of Maharashtra's industrial
production comes from the Mumbai-Thane belt. In
2001-02, Bangalore alone contributed 22 per cent
of the state's income. As economist Vinod Vyasulu
puts it, Bangalore is a neighbour of San Jose not
of Tumkur. Mumbai dreams that it is neighbour to
Manhattan. But now Tumkur is demanding its pound
of flesh from Bangalore. And the Konkan belt is
demanding its share of the prosperity of Mumbai.
The provinces are beating at the doors of the
rich metropolis, saying we will break this door
if you don't let us in.

Two years ago when Raj Thackeray broke away from
the Shiv Sena and launched MNS, he promised to
create a modern version of the Sena. Three years
after being in the political wilderness, after
being wiped out in the Mumbai municipal polls,
Thackeray has realised that modern politics is
hardly ever successful in a modern economy.
Instead, the best way to win votes in a reforming
economy is not to join hands with the forces of
change but with regionalists and cultural
chauvinists, who are unwilling to compete in the
open economy, but instead want the benefit of
other people's hard work by securing the
privileges of their birth in a particular state.

For the first time in Karnataka, the 'Kannadiga'
identity is an important factor. From Deve Gowda
to Congress leaders like Siddharamaiah all are
united in demanding reservations for Kannadigas
in the new economy ('IT-BT' as it's called).
There is protest against non-Kannada films,
English medium schools, even clubs, bars, live
bands which represent the 'outsider'. Karnataka
is trying to reclaim Bangalore. Never mind that
Infosys on its Bangalore campus alone, employs
18,000 Indians from all over India, many from
Bihar and UP. Never mind that Mumbai, a city
built by migrants over centuries, has always
counted among its loyal 'citizens', not just
Maharashtrians, but communities from every part
of the country, all proudly classified as
'Mumbaikars'.

Tragically, this important cosmopolitan identity
has no political face. As cities become diverse,
the politicians who control the cities are
insisting on chauvinistic identities, simply
because their voters are not in the city.

There is a battle, therefore, about who will
manage and control our cities. Should it be the
politicians whose vote-banks are not urban? If a
CM tries to create urban bodies to manage civic
affairs by inducting qualified urban citizens,
then he is, like S.M. Krishna, branded as hi-tech
and elitist. Yet, the fact is that cities like
Mumbai cannot be managed by sugar chieftains of
Maharashtra who see the city simply as a
collection of real estate to be used for funding
political campaigns. Nor can the city of
Bangalore be managed by Vokkaliga village
potentates whose economic vision only begins with
the word 'reservations'.

Cities like Mumbai and Bangalore need efficient
managers and public representatives who will
invest in their social and physical futures, by
making them as inclusive as possible, creating
areas of 'common space' between locals and
outsiders and creating conditions for wealth
generation. Wealth that can then be spent to
overcome inequalities between town and provinces.
Sadly, the post of a sheriff or mayor is not just
undervalued but rendered irrelevant when it is
most needed. There is no urban agency that can
nurture new identities for our cities. Instead
the politicians entrusted with Mumbai and
Bangalore are only using the city's hard earned
prosperity (prosperity which can be a great
resource for the entire state) to attack the city
and its unique ethos.

Delhi, by contrast, belongs to everyone and no
one, the reason why regional chauvinism has no
place in the politics of the national capital.
Because Delhi has statehood, its rulers have a
stake in Delhi's development. Any demand for
similar city state status or 'statehood' for
Mumbai or Bangalore will be violently opposed by
the hinterland chieftains.

Delimitation of constituencies has led to great
increase in urban voting power in Karnataka this
time. In Bangalore alone, the number of seats
have gone up from 16 to 28. The rise in urban
educated voters is an enormous opportunity for
the political needs of a city to be addressed.
Once vote-banks change from only rural to urban,
urban concerns will necessarily have to be
addressed. On the flip side, if urban seats rise,
politicians might be even more tempted to whip up
urban anger against that caricature enemy,
'IT-BT'.

But till the status quo is broken, the
'outsider', both in Bangalore and in Mumbai, will
be the favourite whipping boy, whether they are
'English speaking outsiders' who are 'ruining'
the city with a yuppie culture, or the poor
migrant outsiders who are taking up the lower
rung jobs. As facilities collapse and the economy
becomes more competitive, local jealousy and
anger is on the rise. If a city is only abused
and exploited instead of being nurtured and used
to fund other parts of the state, then India's
centres of new economy will only become sites for
ancient conflicts of language and identity.

Sagarika Ghose is senior editor, CNN-IBN

(ii)

Hard News
April 2008

LETTER TO BAL THACKERAY: GUNNING FOR CULTURE

by Jawed Naqvi

Dear Mr. Bal Thackeray,

I was in Mumbai for a day last weekend and yet
again enjoyed the few conversations in Marathi
that I overheard in shops and cafes, always a
lively experience even though it's not my
language and I have very little knowledge of it.

Whenever I walk on the Marine Drive, except for a
few times in 1993 when the air was filled with
fanatical anger and grief, I never fail to think
of Johnny Walker in his western attire wooing
pretty Kum Kum, cavorting in her nauvari, the
still enticing nine-yard sari of old Maharashtra,
singing that foot-tapping number from the movie
CID. Ye hai Bombay meri jaan neatly summed up the
bourgeois metropolis, but with its wondrous gift
of home and hearth to a ceaseless tide of
immigrants from across the country and beyond.

Of course, the song also took potshots at
Mumbai's seamier face and its deep social
inequities. Also, if you recall, sir, how Sahir
Ludhianavi effectively parodied Allama Iqbal's
song of maudlin nationalism - Saarey jahaan se
achha Hindostaa'n hamara - in a moving film from
the 1950s. Phir Subha Hogi was loosely based on
Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment if I remember
right.

The forceful song mocked the ideals of
nationalism and internationalism alike because
the poor mostly felt used and isolated in both
the situations. Cheen o Arab hamara, Hindostaa'n
hamara, rehne ko ghar nahi hai, sara jehaa'n
hamara was picturised on the unforgettable Raj
Kapoor. Jitni bhi buildingei'n thee'n, setho'n ne
baat li hai'n, footpath Bambai ke hai'n aashiya'n
hamara, he sang from the heart. The rich, the
song lamented, had cornered the nice buildings,
but the footpaths of Mumbai were always there for
us.

Did you notice, Mr. Thackeray, how the Urdu
lyricists (for that is what they were though they
are always supposed to have written Hindi songs
for Hindi movies, including the Persianised
dialogues of Mughal-i-Azam!) how they used the
common description for Mumbai and how both Bambai
and Bombay fitted so well with the metre and the
cadence of those songs? Remember also Saeed
Mirza's gripping tale on celluloid in the 1980s
about an old Maharashtrian Brahmin's struggle to
get his house back from Mumbai's real estate
crooks in Mohan Joshi Haazir Ho. Just listen to
the song Amchi hai Mumbai tumchi Mumbai, jiyo
mazey se karo naka ghai.

If Mumbai was left out from the old Urdu/Hindi
lyrics, Saeed set it right more recently. So what
went wrong? Why did you suddenly draw an angry
line between Mumbai and its other two lovely
names, which were and still are just as soothing
to the ears for anyone having a sense of music?
And if you did have to insist on Mumbai because
of some higher expediency, why did you not go all
the way and change the name of the Bombay Stock
Exchange too? The impression we get is that you
find yourself weak and helpless before the
powerful conglomerates that run the stock
exchange and perhaps this country.

But returning to culture, Saeed Mirza should be
credited for blending Marathi with Urdu to grab
the right flavour for his Joshi story. But tarry
a little, for there's a problem in this. The
Marathi language itself has a large number of
modified Persian and Arabic words. This came
about because, for a significant period, Marathi
came under the influence of Arab traders and
Turko-Persian-speaking rulers.

Maharashtra's Brahmin and Maratha rulers used
words from these languages to good effect.
Marathi has thus borrowed words from Sanskrit,
Kannada, Tamil, Arabic, Persian, and even
Portuguese. As you know quite well, sir, you sit
in your khurchee (chair), which is derived from
the Arabic kursi. You address your jaahir sabha,
a public meeting, but the word zaahir meaning
obvious or public is of Arabic origin. You can
hardly have a conversation without using the word
fakta derived from Arabic faqat, meaning only.
The delightful stage song Dilruba madhur ha
dilacha addresses the sweetheart in chaste
Persian.

I am addressing this letter to you as your many
followers regard you as a big leader of
Maharashtra who takes pride in Marathi culture.
In your pursuit of this culture, an intensely
beautiful cornucopia of language, music, theatre,
attire, wit and valour, you remind me of an
analogy with Islam, which Bernard Shaw described
as the world's best religion with the worst
followers. The Shiv Sena - abbreviated as SS, and
you know what that reminds us of - which you have
created in pursuit of an ostensibly lofty vision
of Maharashtra and its Marathi fragrance are
mostly exemplary in their ignorance of the
subject matter at hand.

To prove your Maratha exclusivity, you have
turned your ire against practically everyone,
including fellow Maharashtrians. But the SS was
not really about Marathi culture or even Marathi
pride. It was set up by the Congress party at the
behest of its corporate patrons to break the
workers' strikes most of them being
Maharashtrians anyway. Remember that it was a
fellow Maharashtrian S.A. Dange who led the
formidable Girni Kaamgar Union of cotton mill
workers. He became the head of the powerful
communist party and you allowed yourself to be
used as its rightwing opponent.

Where is any room in this for a discourse on
Marathi versus non-Marathi? Your men targeted
south Indians first and now they are fuming at
migrants from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. On other
occasions, they exude hatred of Muslims, calling
them landya whatever that means. Where is the
Marathi culture in this?

Last week in Mumbai, sir, I went looking for
vintage natya sangeet recordings, which I
consider to be a robust form of north Indian
classical music. A Muslim owner of an old shop,
Rhythm House, helped me locate some really golden
recordings of Pandit Snehal Bhatkar and Jayamala
Shiledar but missing in the repertoire were songs
of Karim
Khan and Manje Khan, two north Indians and
landyas, in your language. They came to your
patch, fell in love with it, learnt its language
and culture and sang its songs and founded two of
the main schools of music that Maharashtrian
musicians are still attached to - the Alladia
Khan Gharana of Jaipur Atrauli and Karim Khan's
Kirana Gharana.

It's a difficult ask, but if you can by any
chance locate Karim Khan's Marathi songs, since
you are the sentinel of Marathi culture, you
should prescribe them as mandatory for your Shiv
Sainiks - Chandrika hi janu in Raag Devgandhar,
Ugich ka kanta in Anand Bhairavi and Prem sewa
sharan in Bhimpalasi. It would help them
understand that culture and languages evolve from
the mingling of people and don't flow from the
barrel of the gun or arson that your men are
usually associated with.

The writer is India correspondent of Dawn, Pakistan's leading daily

______

[5] From Communalism watch :

CRYSTAL GAZING HINDUTVA BOSS AND HIS SCIENTIST
FRIENDS DO IT WITH OM MADE COCONUTS
[Amazing, how big guns of the India's space
programme, and also the celebrated Feminist Queen
bee of the ecologist alternative circuit (a
regular contributor to 'The Organiser' - the
Hindu right weekly ) feel like fish in water with
a Hindutva ideologue who markets Astrology and
'Vedic Maths', and defends a war against India's
minorities, among other things. Posted below is a
report of a book release party where the happy
extended family played ball -CW]

AT HIS BOOK RELEASE, JOSHI ENFORCES HIS IMAGE OF
A 'SWAYAMSEVAK-SCHOLAR' (Indian Express, May 08,
2008)
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2008/05/hindutva-boss-and-his-scientist-friends.html

RICH TECHIES ON WEEKEND 'GUILT' TRIPS TO SANGH
by Radhika Ramaseshan (The Telegraph, May 8 , 2008)
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2008/05/hindutva-merry-go-rounds-for-bangalore.html

The Guardian
April 30 2008

BHOPAL: HUNDREDS OF NEW VICTIMS ARE BORN EACH YEAR

· Children of victims suffer but have no health cover
· 23 years after disaster, site has still not been cleaned

by Randeep Ramesh in Delhi

Nida, 17 months old Bhopali girl with a
congenital birth defect. Photograph: Money
Sharma/EPA

Hundreds of children are still being born with
birth defects as a result of the world's worst
industrial disaster 23 years ago in the central
Indian town of Bhopal, say campaigners. They are
demanding that the Indian government provide
immediate medical care and research the "hidden"
health impacts.

More than two decades ago, white clouds of toxic
gas escaped from American multinational Union
Carbide's pesticide plant. The gas killed 5,000
people that night and 15,000 more in the
following weeks - and doctors say that a new
generation is being affected.

The true legacy of the disaster is only now
coming to light. The Indian government stopped
all research on the medical effects of the gas
cloud 14 years ago, without explanation. Despite
the country's supreme court ordering that the
children of victims receive insurance, more than
100,000 remain without cover.

Satinath Sarangi of the Sambhavna Trust, which
helps to rehabilitate victims, said that the
Bhopal victims' penury and low social status
meant few are prepared to help.

No one, he says, has taken responsibility for
cleaning up the site and paying the high cost of
medical bills.

"Because these people are poor or from a minority
or lower caste no one seems to care. Their lives
and their children are being sacrificed for the
cause of industrial progress," Sarangi said.

Medical experts who had studied the effects of
the gas on children born in communities affected
by the gas cloud said there was now "no doubt of
increased chance of the negative effects in
children".

A 2003 study by the American Medical Association
found that boys who were either exposed as
toddlers to gases from the Bhopal pesticide plant
or born to exposed parents were prone to "growth
retardation".

Yesterday campaigners, who marched the 500 miles
from Bhopal last month and vow to sit in protest
in Delhi until the government acts, held a press
conference to highlight a new fight for
compensation for families whose children have
been born with "congenital birth defects".

One of the mothers, Kesar Bhai, held her
12-year-old son Suraj in her arms. She had
inhaled the noxious fumes in 1984 and was
hospitalised but recovered. Her son, Suraj, was
born brain damaged and cannot sit or talk.

"My husband is a labourer. We have no money to
spend on our son. He cannot even eat on his own.
I get free medical care for my breathing
difficulties because I am a gas victim. My child
does not get any help but he has been affected,"
she said.

Other children's growth had been stunted, said
campaigners, because there has been still no
clean-up of the Bhopal plant despite a promise
from the prime minister in 2006. So far, less
than 20% of the funds set aside to dismantle and
make safe the plant have been spent.

The disused Union Carbide factory contains about
8,000 tonnes of carcinogenic chemicals which
continue to leach out and contaminate water
supplies used by 30,000 local people. The
clean-up has been stalled by a mixture of
bureaucratic indifference, legal actions and rows
over corporate responsibility.

Dow Chemicals, which bought Union Carbide in
2001, says it is not responsible, arguing that
because the plant is on government land it is up
to the state to clean it up. However, the Indian
government's chemicals and fertilisers ministry
has said in court that Dow should pay 1 billion
rupees, or £13m, to dismantle the factory and
restore the fields.

Backstory

On December 2 1984, the sleeping citizens of
Bhopal were enveloped by a lethal fog of
poisonous gas spewing from a pesticide plant
owned by American multinational Union Carbide.
The gas was methyl isocyanate, which when inhaled
produces an extremely acidic reaction attacking
the internal organs, especially the lungs. This
stops oxygen entering the blood, and victims
drown in their own body fluids. The Indian
government is still pursuing Warren Anderson, the
former chief executive of Union Carbide, who
keeps a low profile in retirement in New York and
Florida. Union Carbide paid a lump sum of $470m
in an out-of-court settlement with the Indian
government in 1989. When the money was
distributed among 570,000 people in 2005, most
recipients got little more than £600. Dow, one of
the world's largest chemical companies, purchased
Union Carbide in 2001. Campaigners then covered
its Mumbai offices with red paint, saying it was
the "blood of Bhopal". Dow says it never owned or
operated the Bhopal plant and it has no
responsibility for the events in 1984.

WHEN LAWYERS MASQUERADE AS JUDGES !

by Subhash Gatade

         Those who can make you believe
absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

         - Voltaire

Ismail Jalagir, a senior counsel from Hubli
(Karnataka) and Mohammad Shoaib, a senior
advocate from Lucknow (U.P.) might not have heard
about each other. But even their strongest
critics would admit that they are made of the
same mettle.If there are rewards meant for
lawyers who are ready to go the extra mile to
defend rigths granted to citizens under the
constitution then both these worthy citizens of
the country would be the first on the list.

What they have done and achieved - without
bothering about the dangers to personal security
and wellbeing - is really stupendous. They not
only defied the unethical ban imposed by their
fellow 'brethren' from their profession about not
taking up specific cases but also exposed the
manner in which a particular community is being
'stigmatised and terrorised' with due connivance
of the police, media and a pliant legal
fraternity.

It is for everyone to see that but for the
efforts of Mohammad Shoaib, Aftab Alam Ansari
from Kolkatta would have been languishing in jail
as being a 'Lashkar-e-Toiba' operative supposedly
involved in the bomb blasts in UP courts.

And there would have been no counsel for people
like Asadullah Abubaker, Riyazuddin Nasir,
Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Shakeel from Hubli and
adjoining areas if Ismail Jalagir had not decided
to take the plunge.In fact when Karnataka police
arrested this foursome under charges of
'terrorism' there was no one to argue their case.
Looking at the fact that nobody was ready to take
up the cases of these people after the unanimous
resolution by the Hubli bar association (12 th
February) which had resolved not to fight cases
on behalf of persons charged with 'anti-national'
activities, Ismail Jalagir decided to act. It
need be emphasised that for such courageous act
he faced wrath of Sangh Parivar. Miscreants tried
to set fire to his office and even his junior's
house was stoned. (Ref : Justice Can' See, Won't
Hear, Suresh Bhatt, Letters, Tehelka, 10 May
2008) The role of the media in the whole case was
also biased from day one. Despite senior police
officers contention that the accused had no
specific targets in Karnataka and there was no
definite information, the local media had mounted
a cacophonic campaign of misinformation.

As of now Mohammad Shoiab is handling many such
cases in different courts of UP. Of course, there
is no denying fact that much like Ismail Jalagir
he is still facing the consequences of taking
such a principled stand.  He has come under
direct physical attack at many places and in one
latest incident in Faizabad courts he had to be
literally 'cordoned' by a police team to save him
from getting badly thrashed by fellow lawyers.

It is a different matter none of them have
refused to be cowed down by such threats and
intimidatory tactics.

A disturbing aspect of the whole scenario is that
neither Hubli nor Lucknow are exceptions.

Today one after the other bar associations are
coming forward and passing resolutions about not
taking up cases of specific nature which
according to them have 'anti-national' motives.
And the latest to join the bandwagon is bar
associations in Madhya Pradesh who have declared
that they would not take up any cases where
alleged operatives of a Islamic organisation were
nabbed by the police. We know that the M.P.
police arrested many people including ex-Chief of
a particular organisation, claiming that they
were associated with it. ( Let me make it very
clear at this juncture that I do not hold any
brief for sectarian organisations who have a very
bigoted view of history - may they claim
allegiance to any of the religions.)

The vehemence with which these bar associations
have come forward to declare and implement their
resolve, it is becoming clear that for them it is
another name for wearing patriotism on their
sleeves. And they have not limited themselves to
passing resolutions, they have exhibited their
'readiness' to implement it also. At places they
have not even hesitated in physically
assaulting/intimidating anyone who opposed such a
move or tried to take up cudgels on behalf of the
accused who were charged with 'terrorism' by the
police.

The case of Khalid and Tariq who are languishing
in jail since last four months supposedly (
according to the police) for 'executing the
serial blasts in courts of UP which left 14
people dead' presents a representative picture of
the whole situation.

If one searches the record of the Jamia
Tul-Salahat Madarsa in Jaunpur where Khalid use
to teach, it tells us that not only he was
present on the day (23 Nov) in the Madarsa but
had also checked the copies of the students.The
judge has been asked to cross-check the UP police
story which says that Khalid landed in Lucknow in
a bus on November 23 morning, met other
accomplices, bought new cycles, planted bombs in
Lucknow court premises and returned immediately
to Jaunpur.

The recent decision of the UP government asking a
retired judge to ascertain whether both these
persons arrested for the court blasts in state
are indeed terrorists or not, is an indicator of
the pressure governments are facing over repeated
complaints that the state police is implicating
Muslims as terrorists.

STF - Special Task Force or Special Terrorist Force ?

According to an investigation done by 'People's
Union for Human Rights' (PUHR) whose extracts
have appeared in different publications ( Re :
'Samayantar' - hindi magazine, April 2008)It
tells us that Khalid was literally kidnapped by
STF from a snacks shop on 16 th evening (
Mariyahu - Jaunpur) by people in civil dress who
had come in a Tata Sumo which did not carry any
number plate. Hundreds of people were mute
witness to the kidnapping drama. Despite Khalid's
family's best efforts no case of kidnapping was
registered. On 19 th Decemeber police reached
Khalid's house and interrogated his family
members for hours together. Khalid's uncle Zaheer
told the PUHR team that the police took with it
Quran and a book on Hadees which was later
claimed as part of 'terrorist literature'

Tariq was kidnapped by a similar team on 12 th
December from Rani ke Sarai, Azamgarh at 12 noon.
The police registered a case of 'missing' (not
'kidnapping') on 14 th December. The kidnapping
case gave rise to lot of consternation in the
area with political and social organisations
coming forward to protest police inaction. On 17
th night around three dozen police personnel
reached Tariq's house, interrogated his family
members, took their signatures on blank papers
and also carried with them some books in Tariq's
possession ( which was later declared as
'terrorist literature).

Sixteen witnesses of Tariq's kidnapping ( which
includes 12 Hindus and 4 Muslims) have filed an
affidavit that Tariq was kidnapped before their
eyes. Hundreds of residents of Mariyahu did a
signature campaign and have presented a 'video
recording' to the administration to tell it that
Khalid was similary kidnapped before their eyes.

If one were to believe the STF version Khalid
Mujahid and Tariq, are members of
Harkat-Ul-Jehadi (HUJI) and were 'involved in the
serial blasts that left 14 people dead.' it would
nothing but a mockery of justice itself.

Denying Legal Hearing 'Democratically'

If earlier the 'boycott' by bar associations,
seemed to be a spontaneous reaction of the
lawyers to any individual gory act which created
revulsion in wider populace, now it seems to be
more organised affair where vested interests
owing allegiance to one of the sectarian
ideologies seem to have taken over. These forces
have tried to manipulate/orchestrate people's
anger over 'violent acts' in such a manner that
it has created 'us' versus 'them' like situation
culminating in the stigmatisation of a particular
minority community. Much on the lines of the law
and order people, who are ready with an
explanation after every such act with names and
addresses of the miscreants 'from across the
border', the vocal minority among the lawyer
community have no qualms in fixing responsibility
for the violent/terrorist act.

In fact the complete absence of the lawyers from
the courts in addressing particular cases which
have/had 'terrorist' bearings has led to a
situation where many innocent persons are
languishing in jails for no fault of theirs and
it has become impossible to get them released
even on bail.

It would not be incorrect to say that Uttar
Pradesh is the 'birth-place' of this phenomenon.
It all started in 2005 when there was a terrorist
attack on the temporary structure at the disputed
site. Faizabad bar association took a lead and
declared that it would not take up cases of
accused in the particular case. When a team of
lawyers from outside the city ventured to reach
the Faizabad courts to take up bail applications
of the accused, it literally came under attack
and had to leave the city under police
protection. When legal proceedings in the
Varanasi case started ( 2006) where there were
terrorist incidents in Sankatmochan temple and
railway station, one was witness to a similar
action by the Varanasi lawyers. November 2007
witnessed bomb blasts in the courts of Varanasi,
Lucknow and Faizabad and then the bar
associations in Lucknow and Barabanki also joined
the boycott of 'terrorist' cases.

Mr K.G. Kannabiran, Vice president of People's
Union for Civil Liberties and a famous human
rights activist, who is himself an advocate by
profession, recently issued an appeal to fellow
lawyers to reconsider and rescind their decision
of boycott of particular cases. In his well
publicised appeal he rightly said :

The Bar Resolution stifles right of the accused
to defend himself at the trial. Our right to
practice this profession is part of our
fundamental rights. The accused has a right under
Article 21 of the Constitution. Article 22 (1)
gives the right to a suspect to have a lawyer
present at the time of arrest and interrogation.
The lawyers right to practice a profession or
calling is directly concerned with these
fundamental rights of a citizen who is an
accused. Article 21 right includes the right of
the accused to have lawyer for the defense. A
lawyer's freedom of choice while practicing his
calling has limitations. We are not here
concerned with the preferences available to a
lawyer for practicing his calling. We are,
Respected Members, concerned here with
collectively imposing a ban on  lawyers making
themselves available to defend a particular
accused? Have the professional members such
freedom to practice their calling? Can the
members of the Bar negate the right of the
accused available to him under Article 21?  The
position taken by the Resolution is not morally
or constitutionally justified. An emotional
response is not a moral response. Arguing for a
fair trial cannot be equated with or confused
with asking to exonerate the guilty of his crime.
Emotional indignation should not degenerate into
pharisaical self-righteousness. There is no
dichotomy between "morality" and the Constitution
if one learns to do a moral reading of the
Constitution. Let us not proceed on the facile
assumption that there is no affinity between law
and justice and law and morality.

Over-lawyered But Unrepresented !

When there are too many policemen, there can be no liberty.

When there are too many soldiers, there can be no peace.

When there are too many lawyers, there can be no justice.

    - Lin Yutang (1895-1976), Chinese-American writer, translator, and editor.

One does not know the context in which the
Chinese-American writer, translator and editor
Lin Yutang mentioned the absence of justice when
one has too many lawyers. Perhaps he was
observing  ( to quote Jimmy Carter) the
'over-lawyered and under-represented' US society
which had 'heaviest concentration of lawyers on
Earth' where 'legal skills seem to be unfairly
distributed with ninety percent of the lawyers
serving mere 10 per cent of the people.'

Definitely he was not contemplating the situation
as it exists in many courts of h India at the fag
end of 21 st century's first decade where one is
witness to lawyers collectively refusing their
services to accused in specific cases and thus
facilitating denial of justice to them.

One can just hope that wiser sense prevail among
the legal community and they would decide to
rescind their earlier resolve to boycott such
cases. In case it does not happen then it is
"..[u]pto the  Bar Council of India which is a
regulatory body to take serious note of the
resolutions passed by the bar associations (a
forum of  lawyers) which amount to not merely
professional misconduct but  are  an
infringement  of  the  constitutional  and  human
rights of the accused." (Accused, Presumed
Guilty, april 26, 2008, Economic and Political
Weekly)

Mutiversity - US chapter

THE PHILOSOPHY OF COCA COLA

by Ashis Nandy

Mr. George Fernandes, who as the Minister of
Industries threw Coca Cola out of India in the
late 1970s, has launched a new movement against
the drink. He still seems unaware that the first
principle of the philosophy of Coca Cola is that
it is substitutable only by another cola. For
once exposed to the world of cola, life in a
community never remains the same; the spectrum of
human needs in it expands permanently. Everything
else about Coca Cola is negotiable, but not this.
A cola can never be replaced by tea, coffee,
beer, wine or water. That is why, in the global
scene, Coca Cola's prototypical competitor is
Pepsi Cola.

Some of my friends like to flaunt their autonomy
from the cola culture. They do not drink colas;
they even force their children to be abstemious.
Proud of their dissent from mass culture, they
talk of Coca Cola the same way others talk of
McDonalds and Woolworth, or red meat, hard liquor
and tobacco. Their attitude to the cola drinks is
a mix of contempt (towards an aspect of 'low'
culture and fear (of a caffeine-based drink
'injurious' to health).

Yet, the very fact that they have to flaunt such
dissent and that their skepticism does not cover
other items of useless consumption, tells us
something. It tells us that Coca Cola is a
worldview within which there is ample scope for
diversity and dissent. Thus, when Fernandes
banished Coca Cola from India, he thought he was
being true to his socialism and the principle of
self-reliance. Actually, he was being faithful to
the philosophy of Coca Cola. For Coca Cola was
duly substituted by Campa Cola, a native product,
and Thumbs Up, launched by another multinational.
And now, fifteen years afterwards, to spite the
likes of Fernandes, Coca Cola has re-entered
India triumphantly. It is even competing here
with its global counter-player, Pepsi Cola, to
provide the model of market competition that will
supposedly be the salvation of Mother India.

It cannot be otherwise because Coca Cola is the
ultimate symbol of the market. You can have
orange juice, tea or beer without a global
market. Theoretically, you can grow oranges or at
least squeeze them at home. You can make your own
tea or coffee or brew your own beer, if you have
the patience. None of these is possible with Coca
Cola. You have to have it in some ready-made
form-you need a franchise to produce it and a
global market to have access to it.

The secret formula of Coca Cola-closely guarded
by the company and an object of greedy curiosity
of its competitors-also constitutes a
paradigmatic puzzle of our times. Some companies
have come close to the formula, to judge by the
tastes of their products. Others have
deliberately chosen not to duplicate it; they
seek a niche for themselves in the cola market
not occupied by Coca Cola. But that only deepens
the mystery-the code still waiting to be cracked,
the standard yet to be approximated. Local or
national differences do not affect the mystery,
as shown by the failure of cola drinks with a
touch of cinnamon and cardamom to cater to Indian
taste. Nor does levels of economic activity and
political preferences. Some isolated cultures may
find Coca Cola strange, some economies may not be
able to sustain its production or import, and the
politicians may try to 'clean' a society of its
cola-philes. But remove the external compulsions
and the love for Coca Cola among the moderns
returns in its pure form.

Air India, which woos its Indian passengers in
competition with other airlines, has understood
this perfectly well. Undaunted by slogans of
self-reliance of its owner, the Government of
India, the airlines has never encouraged Indian
cola, not even during the heydays of bureaucratic
socialism.
Coca Cola touches something deep in human
existence. Like other elements of the global mass
culture-pop music, denims and hamburgers-it
reminds its consumer of the simple, innocent joys
of living which the modern world has lost but
which survive symbolically in selected artifacts
of modernity. Hence both the difficulty of giving
up Coca Cola and the fanaticism of those fighting
it.

The philosophy of Coca Cola colours many areas of
life and the votaries of the philosophy would
like it to inform all areas of life. They do not
have to work hard for that, because the
philosophy is phagocytic; it eats up other
adjacent philosophies or turns them into
ornamental dissents within its universe.
One example is liberal-democratic politics.
Gradually in the democracies, elections are
getting depoliticised. They are increasingly
media battles, with advertisement spots and
droves of media experts and public relations
consultants remote-controlling the battle from
sidelines. The voters are given the choice
between two images, both sold as alternatives to
the other, while being usually the flip-sides of
the other.

The candidates think the needs of the electorate
are created by media experts. The experts believe
that all candidates are edited versions of each
other; only their public images differ. For both,
the ultimate model of 'political' contests is the
advertisement war among the colas, each
representing unessential, artificially created
needs. The aim is to ensure that the electorate,
seen as mass of consumers, do not get a chance to
stop and think before deciding their own fate.
The philosophy of Coca Cola insists that you
never question the rules of the game, that far
worse than loosing is to opt out or admit that
the game bores you.

The philosophy of Coca Cola is the archetypal
social philosophy of our times. Those who talk
glibly of the Coca Cola culture subverting other
'superior' cultures know nothing of its appeal.
Coca Cola happily grants such superiority when
the market or advertisement requires it, for its
appeal is nothing less than an invitation to
worsen it at its own game. Japan, which can be
called the Pepsi Cola of the world economy, has
shown that Coca Cola can be 'defeated' if one
joins the game sincerely and retools one self to
fight Coca Cola on its own terrain.
Academician Primakov, the Russian social
scientist, seemed surprised in 1980s that in
Dusseldorf, McDonalds employed more people than
the steel industry and Coca Cola paid more tax
than Krupps. He failed to appreciate that mass
culture was not only sane politics, but also
rational economics, that the defiance of mass
culture was already the defiance of sanity and
rationality. To have the luxury of that defiance,
you have to take on not merely the world of
mega-consumption but also the concepts of
normality and rational knowledge.

Decades ago, when as a cultural innovation Coca
Cola began its journey through the corridors of
time, it allegedly included cocaine as an
ingredient. If true, it shows how little the Coca
Cola company understood its own product. The
corporation, true to nineteenth-century
capitalism, sold something addictive and
injurious to health, to make the demand for its
product artificially inelastic. It had no idea
that it was a pioneer selling a worldview and a
lifestyle, that even without an addictive
ingredient, it had an addictive brew that could
ensure as inelastic a demand as any bootlegger or
drug peddler might want.

Mr Fernandes will not agree, but in the mass
culture that has begun to engulf urban,
media-exposed India, Coca Cola is already away of
thinking rather than a thought.

Iran: Very Urgent ! Alert for Sentenced Iranian activists

forwarded by siawi.org / 8 May 2008

[(Our Iranian friends have been condemned to
being whip lashed by the Iranian authorities for
having spoken up for women's rights activists. A
big campaign is needed to get the Iranians to
annul the sentence. Send your letters of protest
at the earliest possible. Thanks.
-Marieme

    -------------

Dear all,

This last month has seen a spate of Iranian
friends and activists sentenced to harsh - albeit
suspended - sentences of whipping as well as
prison terms.

The suspended sentence means that for the
duration 6 months to 2-3 years, anything they do
the authorities are unhappy with will make the
sentence applicable.

The intention seems to be to intimidate women
activists into silence - who remain one of the
few vocal groups after the disruption of the
teachers and students' movements.

Amongst those sentenced is Nasrin, a WLUML
networker, many of you met in Penang last year,
as well as others. Nasrin is not intimidated and
has given interviews condemning the actions by
the authorities (We still await the sentencing of
Shaadi and Mahboobeh)

Can you please all circulate to as wide a network
as possible. Please see attached a sample letter,
here pasted below. Many thanks

women living under muslim laws

His Excellency, Ayatolah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahrudi
Head of Ministry of Justice, Jaam Street,
Vali-e-Asr Avenue, Tehran, Islamic Republic of
Iran

Your Excellency,

I/we write to express my/our deep concern at the
news of the revolutionary court in Tehran
sentencing numerous women to harsh sentences.
Four women's rights activists, Nasrin Afzali,
Nahid Jafari, Zeinab Peighambar-zadeh, and Minou
Mortazi, have been given suspended sentences of
whipping (10 lashes) and six months imprisonment.
They have been given this harsh sentence for
having been part of a small group of people who
gathered outside the Revolutionary Court in
March, 2007 to register their objections to the
trial of five other women activists earlier
charged for taking part in a peaceful
demonstration in 2006 to demand the removal of
laws discriminating against women. Subsequently,
Parvin Ardalan has also been given a suspended
sentence of 10 lashes and 2 years imprisonment
and on May 1st 2008 the 13th Branch of the
Revolutionary Court sentenced Rezvan Moghadam to
a 6 months prison term and 10 lashes, suspended
for 2 years.

We are alarmed at the new trend of handing down
sentences of whipping for women activists, which
seems a deliberate attempt to humiliate since the
sentence places them in the same category as
criminals and those carrying out vandalism. Women
activists have been sentenced for "acting against
national security, disrupting public order, and
refusing to follow police orders."

It is a matter of grave concern that although the
Iranian constitution grants the freedom of
peaceful demonstration, police forces often use
violent means to disrupt peaceful assemblies and
arrest women demonstrators who are subsequently
handed down harsh sentences. We are worried that
through such treatment of their citizens and
women activists, the Iranian authorities are
attempting to ensure that women remain silent and
give up their basic democratic rights as citizens
of Iran.

We call upon Your Excellency, as the Head of the
Iranian Judiciary, to take appropriate steps that
would enable the authorities to withdraw these
cases and to ensure that citizens are enabled to
exercise the right to express their opinions as
provided for under the constitution.

Yours Sincerely

[8] Announcements:

(i)

There will be protests in Karachi, Lahore and
Islamabad on Thursday, May 8th 2008 for the
immediate restoration of the deposed judges and
for purging the judiciary free from the PCO
inductees and conspirators of the Nov 3rd coup.
Please come to the protest in whichever city you
are based in and also inform all your friends in
Pakistan.

The battle for the judiciary will go on. AZAAD ADLIYA KO BAHAAL KERO!

Karachi
Parking area in front of Rahat Milk Corner, Khadda Market
6:15 - 7: 30 pm
Walk to the legal CJ of SHC, Justice Sabiuddin's house

Lahore
Outside the PPP Secretariat, 25-A, Faisal Town (near FAST)
6:30 - 7:30 pm
Candlelight vigil and peaceful protest.

Islamabad
Outside the Supreme Court of Pakistan, Constitution Avenue
5:30 - 6: 30 pm
Candlelight vigil and peaceful protest.

OUR DEMANDS

1. We demand the complete restitution of the
pre-Nov. 3rd judiciary with all its powers and
members.
2. We believe a simple executive order is enough
to overrule the illegal actions of Musharraf. The
delay is becoming unbearable.
3. We do not accept those judges who were inducted after the PCO.

Our stance is in line with the opinion of all of
the lawyers and bar councils of Pakistan, 21
former judges of the Supreme Court, 5 former
Chief Justices of the Supreme Court and the vast
majority of Pakistanis.

Looking forward to your wholehearted participation:
People's Resistance
Student Action Committee
Awami Jamhoori Itehad
Insani Haqooq Itehad
FAST Rising
Young Professionals Lahore
Concerned Citizens of Pakistan
and many other groups of concerned Pakistanis across the country.

(ii)

Join us for an evening of readings and recollections on 1971
Date: 11th May 2008  |  Time: 6:00 pm

Pakistan, just 24 years old, was plunged into a
major war in 1971. Do we really know what led to
its dismemberment and what the "other half" was
going through? If textbooks of history in the
schools are silent or gloss over the events, can
we turn to Pakistan's writers and poets to
discover the truth? While literature focusing on
that period abounds from Bangladesh, only a
handful of our fiction writers addressed these
issues in their works, depicting their versions
of the "truth". But many questions still remain:
What do their depictions add up to? How different
is their view from what the writers in Bangladesh
chose to write about? What can we learn from
these stories?

To mark the first birthday of The Second Floor
(T2F), a special session of readings and
discussion will focus on this critical juncture
in the country's history, which also marks an
important and unrecognized crisis in Pakistan's
literature. Intizar Hussain, one of Pakistan's
leading fiction writers and Asad Muhammed Khan,
the innovative grandmaster of fiction, will share
their experiences and writings about living
through and remembering 1971.

Joining them will be Niaz Zaman, Asif Farrukhi,
and Saima Hussain. Asif and Niaz have recently
published Fault Lines, an anthology in which the
two sides - Bangladesh and Pakistan - are brought
together, along with writers from India, the USA
and the UK, through stories related to the events
of 1971. Niaz Zaman is a writer and editor based
in Dhaka and Asif Farrukhi writes Karachi and
lives in fiction. Saima Hussain is the editor of
DAWN's Books & Authors.

We are grateful to Herbion for making this event possible. Thank You!