SACW | April 28-29, 2008 / US subversion in Nepal / Bangladesh: rights and democracy / Justice in Kashmir / India: pseudo-science ; women prisoner's rights; Goa; Naxals

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:41:32 CDT 2008

South Asia Citizens Wire | April 28-29, 2008 |
Dispatch No. 2508 - Year 10 running

[1] U.S. subverting Nepal poll mandate (Siddharth Varadarajan)
[2] Bangladesh: women, equal rights and obscurantism (Syed Badrul Ahsan)
   - Stop religion-based politics and use of mosques for political purposes
   - Restoring Democracy in Bangladesh (ICG Asia, Report No. 151)
[3] India / Kashmir: "There can be no
reconciliation without justice" - Angana
Chatterji (Shazia Khan)
[4] India: Falling back on pseudo-science? (Praful Bidwai)
[5] India: Communalism in Goa: Just say no! (Editorial, Herald)
[6] India: Stop Evicting Displaced People (Human rights watch)
   - Talk to Naxalites, says govt panel (Akshaya Mukul)
   - Memories of a Naxalite Friend (Jyoti Punwani)
[7] India: The wide gap between theory and
practice vis-à-vis women prisoner's rights (Grace
Pelly)
[8] India - Gujarat: Sexual harassment panel. What's that? ask govt depts

The Hindu

U.S. SUBVERTING NEPAL POLL MANDATE

by Siddharth Varadarajan

KATHMANDU: After first "congratulating the people
of Nepal on their historic Constitutional
Assembly election," the United States is now
seeking to subvert the electorate's mandate by
lobbying against the Maoists heading the next
coalition government.

According to political and diplomatic sources,
the U.S. ambassador in Kathmandu, Nancy Powell,
is "actively pushing" the idea that Girija Prasad
Koirala should continue as Prime Minister.

Under the interim constitution, all major
decisions, including the appointment or removal
of the Prime Minister, must be taken by
consensus, failing which by a two-thirds
majority. With the encouragement of the
Americans, a section of the Nepali Congress (NC)
leadership is now citing this provision to argue
that the Maoists will first have to oust Mr.
Koirala before they can stake a claim to the top
post.

"Suicidal for party"

The American suggestion which one NC leader in an
interview to The Hindu described as "suicidal for
the party" runs counter to the belief of Indian
and other diplomats here that a Maoist-led
government is inevitable given the scale of their
victory.

The CA consists of 601 seats, 575 of which are
elected. Of these, the Maoists have 220, or 38.2
per cent, the NC only 110 and the Unified
Marxist-Leninists (UML) 103. The four Madhesi
parties have 85 seats between them. A further 26
seats will be filled by nomination on a pro rata
basis.

In the current coalition based on the "interim
legislature," the NC, with 40 per cent of the
seats, has not just the prime ministership but
also the defence, home and finance portfolios. In
line with this practice, Prachanda, chairman of
the Nepali Maoists, says his party will now head
the coalition government and keep the three top
ministries to itself.

Though some observers feel the "GPK as PM" line
is meant to pressure the Maoists into yielding at
least one top portfolio to the NC or UML in an
eventual coalition government, there is a fear
that the proposal will take on a life of its own
as other players who feel threatened by the
Maoists such as the Palace and Army brass - latch
on to it.

Last week, the entire debate within the NC was
over whether the party should join the coalition
led by the Maoists or not. But when the Central
Working Committee of the NC met on Thursday to
take stock of the party's defeat, senior leaders
openly challenged the Maoists' right to lead the
government.

Second 'proposal'

A second 'proposal' that is being floated to
prevent the Maoists from forming a stable
government is an amendment to the interim
constitution to allow the Prime Minister to be
removed by simple majority as a condition for
allowing Maoist leader Prachanda to become PM.

Since the Maoists will have more than one-third
of the seats in the CA, the argument goes, there
will be no check should they refuse to hold
elections again. The Maoist leadership rejects
these arguments.

"When the interim constitution itself spells out
the lifespan of the CA and mandates fresh
elections within a maximum period of two years
and six months, where is the question of the
Maoists delaying elections?" Mr. Prachanda told
The Hindu. "Would any of these proposals or
formulas have been made if the NC or UML had been
in our position?" he asked. "That is the true
test of how valid these proposals are."

The Maoists fear the new emphasis on the
"politics of numbers" will vitiate the consensual
spirit that the CA needs to write Nepal's new
constitution.

Mr. Prachanda says the electorate's mandate is
for a coalition government led by the Maoists.
"This is a time when all the parties have to work
together the Maoists, the NC, UML, the [Madhesi
Janadhikar] Forum and others."

Role for Koirala

Asked what role he envisaged for Mr. Koirala, Mr.
Prachanda said the "guardianship" of the NC
leader had been crucial in pushing the peace
process and ensuring that elections to the CA
were held properly. "At the same time, he has
repeatedly said he wants to retire from active
politics and this must also be respected. And
yet, we feel some way must be found for him to
continue to play the role of a guardian. My view
is that given his age and his own sentiments, the
proper way to honour him would not be to insist
on his involvement in the government or
day-to-day politics. We have to find another way
of honouring him. But if he wants, we are
open-minded on this," said Mr. Prachanda. "I told
him we are prepared to talk about this."

The Daily Star

GROUND REALITIES: BENGALI WOMEN, EQUAL RIGHTS AND OBSCURANTISM

by Syed Badrul Ahsan

THERE are questions you need to ask today about
the ruckus whipped up by men unhappy about women
enjoying the same rights as they, in this
country. And the first question that you need to
raise, and expect an answer to, relates to the
equality enshrined in the nation's constitution
for women. Obviously, if you hold absolute faith
in democracy and everything that gives it a
definitive flavour of the modern, you will not
deny that Bangladesh's women do have a place in
the political and social scheme of things. The
constitution may have been tampered with in many
ways and has, through years of arbitrary
government, been rendered emasculated at places.
But one truth it has upheld is the esteem in
which Bengali women are held, and will be held in
the times to be. That being so, you go on to the
next question.

And it is a simple question. If the government of
the day has been bold enough to make public a
women development policy, why did it have to take
two steps backward only because a handful of
obscurantists are unable, because of their
blinkered vision, to come to terms with women
being regarded as part of the human race?

Note the recommendations put across to the
administration by an ulema committee relating to
the provisions of the proposed women development
policy. Each and every recommendation made by the
committee militates against the moral and
political values we as a sovereign body of people
have strenuously tried to uphold in all these
years since we liberated ourselves from foreign
rule.

And if you, if we, if the government were to
treat these recommendations with the seriousness
they do not deserve, you can be sure that women
in this country -- your mother, my spouse, your
sister, my aunt, your woman friend and mine --
will steadily be pushed back into an area of
pitch darkness.

Do not forget that there was once a body of
wildly parochial men called the Taliban, for whom
the religion of Islam did not go beyond a certain
length of beard for men and an all-enveloping,
stifling dress code for women, in an unfortunate
country called Afghanistan. And now observe the
attitude of the ulema committee to women in this
country. It has suggested that six of the
provisions in the women development policy be
scrapped altogether and that fifteen other
provisions be rephrased.

The rephrasing will, as you may have guessed
already, render the policy altogether
meaningless. The acting khatib of Baitul Mukarram
mosque tells the country that several sections of
the policy are "very objectionable." Now you
cannot but raise another question: are those
aspects of the women development policy
objectionable because they threaten the impunity
with which men, guided so long by a motivated
interpretation of Koranic laws, have so far
lorded it over their families and communities?

The acting khatib goes one disturbing step
further when he informs this nation of secular
citizens that "a woman cannot enjoy rights equal
to a man's because a woman is not equal to a man
by birth." That begs the question: how did this
individual, and others of his kind, draw the
inference that there is something about the birth
of women which relegates them to a station below
that of men? It is a bizarre proposition.

There are men who speak of religion all day long
and will leave no stone unturned to tell us that
Islam accords the highest respect to women. That
is fine, for history remains proof that the
Prophet of Islam went out of his way to ensure
that women occupied a place of great honour in
society.

You try going back to the history of Islam and
you do not come across a single instance of the
Prophet ever having pronounced judgment on the
lowliness of women's birth. Women prayed in the
mosques with men. They engaged in open dialogue
with the Prophet. After the death of the Prophet,
men unable to interpret his sayings consulted his
wives, whose word was deemed to be final.

So why are these obscurantists around us taking
upon themselves the responsibility of
interpreting Islam for us and, in their skewed
interest, busily going about whipping up hysteria
about our world coming to an end if our women
share the same pedestal of rights with our men?

The late khatib of Baitul Mukarram once inflamed
the passions of his followers by openly
declaiming that Bangladesh was in crisis because
it was being dominated by two women. That was a
silly thing to do, for it obscured the fact that
many of the problems the country has been facing
all these decades have had their roots in the
depredations of some of its unscrupulous male
ruling classes.

Let us face facts. And the first one of these
concerns the very constitution of the ulema
committee itself. Whoever first conceived the
idea of referring the draft women development
policy to such a committee, indeed of helping to
set this committee up, should have known that
nothing enlightening would emerge from it. And
nothing has. That is made obvious through the
emphasis on "just" rights that such a class of
religious scholars has placed.

You know of justice and you know of equality.
They have their own nuances and meanings. So why
mislead people, in this day and age, through
inventing a meaningless term and calling it "just
rights?" But look at the issue in a deeper way.
Advocating "just rights" is but another way of
trying to maintain the entrenched, backward
tradition, which has, so long, kept Bangladesh's
women pinned to the ground, mud and all.

Recall all the ugly tales of men unable to
contain their anger when Grameen and Brac
initially undertook a campaign of women's
empowerment in the villages. The bigots thought
it was a bad idea, because the bigots have long
looked down on women, placing them at a point
where they have been nothing but sub-human.

The ulema committee has only echoed those
primitive sentiments. We need to be able to forge
the will and the courage in ourselves to put up
strong, intellectual resistance to the committee.

It is a job that must begin through taking the
initiative back from the extremist elements
arrayed against our women, for the simple reason
that Bangladesh's women have struggled long and
hard to come by the rights that are now within
their reach. Speak of CEDAW, speak of Beijing,
speak of the feminist movementall of these have
been steps towards the creation of an enlightened
society in this country and elsewhere.

Every citizen in this country has taken intense,
sustained pride in the determined way in which
the movement for equality has taken shape and has
forged ahead. Women in our civil service, in the
labour movement, in teaching, in the armed forces
and in politics have demonstrated an immense
capacity to act as forces of change.

In the villages, in our small towns, in the
cities, the social engineering that has gone into
enabling our women to reach out for the skies
must be allowed to go on without let or
hindrance. The various tactics of intimidation
currently being brought into play, indeed being
refined, in order to thwart the march of Bengali
women must be blunted through the concerted
efforts of everyone who has striven for the
establishment of a secular democratic order in
this country.

This is no country for people who would prefer to
hold one half of its population in disrespect and
abject misery. And let it not be a place where
men with wrong notions about life, with
convoluted ideas about the scheme of things in
the universe, determine for us the manners and
modalities along which we will carry ourselves.
We will restore the values of faith in our
mosques by taking politics and extremism out of
them.

We will reassert the principles of social
behaviour that bring men and women on a par, in
every sense of the term. Bigotry cannot, and must
not, be allowed to mar the quality of life.

Just rights for women? Drop the idea, for nothing
less than equal rights for them matters. Which is
why a sustained campaign for an implementation of
the provisions, all of them, of the national
women development policy becomes an absolute and
immediate necessity.

o o o

The Daily Star

Women Development Policy
GOVT ASKED NOT TO GIVE IN TO ANY PRESSURE
Staff Correspondent

Concerned at Islamists' recent moves in the name
of protesting against Women Development Policy,
2008, eminent citizens yesterday said giving in
to their pressure would push the country back to
the Middle Ages.

They said the agitating groups are
misinterpreting Islam when Muslim countries
across the globe have moved away from the
traditional provisions to keep pace with
international development.

They urged the government to deal with the
situation with a strong hand if it does not
intend to fall back to the dark ages. They said
these at an opinion-exchange meeting on "Women's
Constitutional Rights: Perspective--Women
Development Policy and Recent Debate".

Nagorik Uddyog organised the programme at the BIAM Foundation in Dhaka.

Yesterday's meeting saw a number of citizens'
representatives express deep concern about the
demonstrations and recommendations of an ulema
review committee aimed at blocking the
long-awaited policy announced by the chief
adviser on March 8.

Blasting the government for showing leniency
towards the group that demonstrated in Dhaka
violating the state of emergency and attacked
Hathazari Police Station in Chittagong, they
questioned how only four advisers could opt to
form a review committee comprising ulemas.

"If mollahtantra [theocracy] succeeds, the
country will plunge into darkness. The mullahs
have vetoed the much-awaited policy," noted Prof
Khan Sorwar Murshid who presided over the
programme.

Questioning the rationale of the violent protests
when the policy is not at all "that much
revolutionary", he wondered if all in the
government had agreed upon the policy. "Why did
the government become lenient towards them?"

The review committee members represent the
"savages" who demonstrated in Dhaka and
Chittagong, he said, adding, "The word of a
public servant or a madrasa student cannot be the
last word."

"How come some advisers rushed to the ulemas and
formed a committee after the chief adviser had
announced the policy on behalf of the council of
advisers? And why a religious quarter was given
the task neglecting experts and rights
activists," Hameeda Hossain said, adding that
chief of Hathazari Madrasa, whose students
attacked Hathazari Police Station, was on the
review committee.

Human rights activist Khushi Kabir said the
policy was formed not only basing one religion,
it aims at development of women irrespective of
religion and giving in to the group's pressure
would mean paving the way for turning the country
into a fascist Islamist state.

Asking the government to make its stance clear
regarding the policy, Bangladesh Mahila Parishad
President Ayesha Khanam pointed out that the
policy is not for Muslim women alone.

Most of the Muslim countries have moved away from
traditional provisions over the ages, Bangladesh
has also done that. There are only a few cases
like the inheritance issue where we are
maintaining it here, Shahdeen Malik said
referring to Resolution of Muslim Marriage Act,
1929 and the law regarding custody of children.

"It cannot be done in the case of inheritance
because there is a shortage of people to talk
honestly about it with an open mind," he said.

Blasting the role of the Baitul Mukarram Khatib,
former finance minister AMA Muhit said there is
no provision for priesthood in Islam.

The government did not permit Samajik Protirodh
Committee to hold a meeting on April 25 but the
fundamentalist forces did not bother to seek
permission and indulged in violence, the speakers
mentioned.

The participants demanded stopping religion-based
politics and use of mosques for political
purposes.

ABM Musa, Syed Abul Moksud, Zafrullah Chowdhury,
Badiul Alam Majumder, Farzana Islam and Ruhin
Hossain Prince also participated in the
discussion.

o o o

RESTORING DEMOCRACY IN BANGLADESH

Asia Report No 151
www.crisisgroup.org/library/documents/asia/south_asia/151_restoring_democracy_in_bangladesh.pdf

The Rising Kashmir
April 20, 2008 (Srinagar)

"There can be no reconciliation without justice"

Angana Chatterji, co-convener of the
International People's Tribunal on Human Rights
and Justice in Kashmir, talks to Shazia Khan,
exclusively for Rising Kashmir

Shazia Khan: What made you decide to work on Kashmir?

Angna Chatterji: In June 2006, Parvez Imroz
invited me to Kashmir. That was a profoundly
meaningful visit. I came in contact with friends
whose lives bear testimony to courage, dignity,
and generosity, who are quick to think, laugh,
be, and dedicate their lives enduringly to the
work of securing justice. Through my association
with Advocate Imroz and his colleagues at the
Jammu Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society I was
invited to participate in, and shape, the
tribunal process. I am grateful for this
invitation.

In 1989, there were 210 school-days in Kashmir,
in 2005 there were 60. This genocide, since 1989,
is not yet sufficiently understood in
international arenas. Sixty-seven thousand
deaths; over 8,000 disappeared; 60,000 tortured;
12,000 extrajudicial killings; hundreds of
thousands displaced; draconian laws; violations
of conscience, promises, laws, conventions,
agreements, and treaties; mass graves; horrific
sexualized and gendered violence. I heard Atta
Mohammad Khan, graveyard caretaker, testify to
235+ bodies buried by the forces in unmarked
graves in Bimyar village, in Uri district,
between 2002-2006.

He stated that this work -- digging graves for
those killed, including in brutal and fake
encounters, whose bodies remain unidentified with
no one to mourn their passing, has left him
scared, weak, made his blood run dry. He stated
that he is unable to rest, that each night forces
a revisitation of the terror the task he was
forced to perform produced. The fabric of
military presence and the existing structures of
governance have produced spirals of deepening and
continuing violence. It has generated forms of
brutal resistance on the part of groups that have
engaged in violent militancy.

Militarization's effects have been differently
organized, linked to gender, class, religion, and
ethnicity, with increasing social, political,
economic, ecological, and psychological
consequences. Militarism has created an intense
isolation that has impacted private, public, and
day-to-day life. Repressions of struggles for
self-determination and international policies and
politics have produced profound consequences in
the region, creating a juncture at which the
failure of governance intersects with the culture
of grief in Kashmir.

It is imperative to call on the international
community to recognize this sustained and often
unmarked violence. As a citizen of India, I do
not want the genocide in Kashmir to continue in
my name. The practice of principled citizenship
requires we dissent atrocities committed in our
supposed 'self/national-interest'. Demystifying
violent events and processes in Kashmir will
assist not only in empowering processes for
seeking justice in Indian-administered Kashmir,
but also strengthen people's movements for
self-determination and social justice elsewhere
in South Asia, for example amid Adivasi (tribal),
Dalit (formerly 'untouchable' groups), and
Christian, Muslim, Sikh and other minority and
allied communities in India.

SK: How did the concept of International People's
Tribunal on Human Rights and Justice in
Indian-administrated Kashmir build up?

AC: In Kashmir local struggles and civil society
organization have created a unique space in a
conflict zone where such a process as this
Tribunal, that is locally mandated, may take
place. The mandate of a people's tribunal is to
respond to alleged crimes, human rights abuses,
and the conditions that create injustice, and to
seek justice, peace, and reparations, demanding
accountability from the state. A people's
tribunal may be constituted as a fact-finding and
remedial mission after and during an event and
act as a preventive and injunctive mechanism
toward avoiding future injustices. Based on the
conviction that people's voices must not be
silenced, a people's tribunal seeks to
investigate existing evidence, and hear
statements through public processes that maintain
transparency.

To conceptualize and frame the International
Tribunal in Kashmir took us almost two years.
This time was necessary to learn and devise all
the aspects of this process, to form a strong
core group of advisors and workers, to design the
inquiries we will undertake, and build alliances
at the grassroots locally and internationally for
support and participation in this process.

SK: How is the tribunal process going to be conducted in Jammu and Kashmir?

AC: The Tribunal will be carried out within a
timeframe of two years, 2008-2009. The
investigation will focus on the period between
2003, when the Indo-Pak cease-fire began, and
2009, with related inquiry into the period
between 1989 and 2002. To undertake rigorous
work, it is not possible to study the entire
period of the conflict within a two-year
timeframe. Therefore, we identified the period
between 2003 and 2009, even while the time span
between 1989-2002 will inform our work.

The Tribunal is constituted as a people's
collective, and seeks to serve as one of various
processes instituted for justice in Kashmir. The
purpose of this initiative is to undertake an
inquiry into the history of present Kashmir. The
primary aim of this process is to foster vibrant
civil society participation in identifying and
documenting the events in Kashmir and their
effects on people to reflect on the past and
energize public space in the present, in shaping
the future and enabling responses that ameliorate
suffering in society. Through this process we
will call upon the international community to
join us in investigating India's record in
Kashmir, as India, an emergent superpower, argues
for a seat on the United Nations Security
Council. We seek accountability under provisions
of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir,
Constitution of India, International Law and
Conventions, to insist upon reparations, justice,
and self-determination.

In undertaking its investigation, the Tribunal
will seek, first and foremost, the participation
of diverse people and groups from Kashmir, as
well as from elsewhere in South Asia and from the
international community. The Tribunal will
conduct studies and site visits and hold public
hearings. We will meet with non-state actors and
state actors and solicit testimonials from
persons from diverse constituencies and those
with eminent expertise in various fields,
including human rights and law. The Tribunal will
seek testimonials from members of local
communities that have been or are being impacted,
as well as from local leaders, political groups
and parties, government officials, police,
military and paramilitary personnel, members of
educational, religious, labor and other
institutions, activists, academicians, students,
filmmakers, artists, musicians, lawyers and
journalists, human rights defenders, and public
intellectuals.

The Tribunal will publish a series of interim
reports. On completion of the entire process, the
Tribunal will produce its final report. The
Tribunal will then ask the Government of India to
offer any comments as they may deem fit. After
which, the Tribunal will invite a group of
renowned public figures to constitute a council
of justice to deliberate on the findings and to
craft statements in response. The Tribunal's
findings and recommendations, and the statements
of members of the council will be presented at a
public hearing in Indian-administered Kashmir and
subsequently to the international community.

SK: How do you feel the process will benefit the common Kashmiri people?

AC: Across India, Kashmir reverberates in the
fault lines of national imagery as an icon of
unification whose continued repression is a must
for the assertion of nationalist history and
purpose. Kashmir is reduced to a flashpoint
between India and Pakistan. In Kashmir, the grip
of violence lives in sign and performance. Its
dynamics are inscribed on bodies, in language and
culture, gender and state, affecting community,
precipitating alienation. Displacement and
dislocation are its markers.

I met with women in Handware who talked about the
violence utilized by the army. Children, who have
seen parents victimized, spoke of how their
bodies convulse each time there is a knock on the
door. I heard torture survivors speak of
detention by the military, and the calculated use
of pain as punishment, to discipline difference.
They spoke of being drowned through
water-boarding, their fingers and legs pulled
apart, their bodies wrenched, broken physically,
emotionally. I heard a peace activist narrate the
story of a mother who, asked to watch her
daughter being raped by army personnel, pleaded
with them to release her daughter. They refused.
She pleaded that she could not watch her daughter
being raped, and asked to be sent out of the room
or be killed. A soldier pointed a gun to her
forehead, stating he would grant her wish, and
shot her, before they proceeded to rape the
daughter.

These children, women, and men in Kashmir re-live this violence, over and over.

Violence, intimate to life in Kashmir, has shaped
an entire generation. From engagement with civil
society across Indian-administrated Kashmir, I
have found people to be enthused and desirous to
have a people's tribunal offer a platform via
which to acknowledge and document the systematic
and invisibilized effects of militarization on
their lives. My engagements with members of civil
society have led me to understand that such a
process would enable people's empowered and
creative participation in decision-making on
their future.

What must healing involve? The Tribunal is
premised on the understanding that there can be
no reconciliation without justice. Previous truth
and reconciliation processes across the world
have largely been confessional in character,
where perpetrators have spoken to crimes they had
committed, expecting forgiveness. There were no
structural changes undertaken in the aftermath
that actually enabled justice. What must justice
look like in Kashmir, what must freedom look
like, in ways that honor and recognize the
Kashmiri people's immense diversity and complex
history, and their inalienable right to spiritual
and political self-determination? How can varied
understandings of self-determination address
present-day realities and future hopes and
expectations?

The Tribunal, it is our hope, will yield a
detailed understanding of the architecture of
military presence, militarization, and governance
in Indian-administered Kashmir, and its continued
impact on civil society, political economy,
community mental health, and local government.
Revisiting established facts and figures and
generating new ones, and charting oral histories,
memory-writing, and testimonials, will allow for
an understanding of the continued devastation of
the last nineteen years. We hope that such
knowledge, as resistance, will serve as an
ethical and reverberating call to action.

SK: What is your overall role in this process?

AC: I am one of the conveners of the Tribunal. My
responsibilities include identifying ways in
which the process may be highlighted and
recognized at an international level, crafting
methodologies and international standards for the
investigations, building local, regional, and
international alliances, undertaking a long-term
study in collaboration with Advocate Imroz,
assisting with assembling fact-finding teams,
being involved in the day-to-day workings of the
Tribunal, and the production of the report. As a
woman, I am also especially concerned about
enabling the participation of women and other
disenfranchised groups in this process.

SK: Many people belonging to different ideologies
in India called you 'black sheep', have
threatened you physically and targeted you
politically, and definitely you have faced much
opposition from different quarters. How do you
tackle this?

AC: Much of the targeting I have faced has been
from Hindu militant groups and their allies in
India and in the diaspora in the United States
intent on creating a Hindutva state/theocracy in
India. I do not want to react to their agendas,
as it serves to distract from what I must focus
upon.

I must focus on the work ethical and non-violent
citizenship compels me to undertake. Working in
Kashmir with issues of justice and survival, with
issues of memory and mourning with colleagues and
friends keeps me close to my father and his
world, to my youth in Calcutta, evoking kindred
feelings of 'home'.

PROFILE :

Angana Chatterji is associate professor of
Cultural Anthropology at the California Institute
of Integral Studies, a progressive graduate
university in San Francisco, United States. She
is one of the four conveners of the International
People's Tribunal on Human Rights and Justice in
Indian-administered Kashmir. [..].

FALLING BACK ON PSEUDO-SCIENCE?

by Praful Bidwai

Indian policymakers are clutching at straws to
duck their responsibility to reduce the country's
greenhouse gas emissions.

AS Indian policymakers come under growing
pressure from global scientific and political
communities on climate change, they are
increasingly resorting to disingenuous, devious
or downright specious arguments to avoid taking
purposive action to cap and reduce the country's
greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, which are rising
three-and-a-half times faster than the world
average.

Instead of acknowledging the universal
responsibility that devolves on all states to
contain and reverse global warming and
demonstrating a strong will to seize the
initiative, they are preoccupied with averting or
deflecting that pressure.

Three of their arguments are by now familiar.
One, hide behind the poor and claim that the
developing countries cannot afford to give up on
poverty reduction by controlling carbon
emissions, which are low in per capita terms and
need to increase if all their people are to have
access to, say, electricity for lighting. This
hides huge (and growing) differentials in
consumption, and in GHG contributions, between
their own rich and poor and makes blanket per
capita comparisons meaningless.

A second argument makes any Indian effort to
control GHG emissions conditional upon something
else: for instance, emissions trading under the
clean development mechanism (CDM) agreed to in
the Kyoto Protocol; grants from the rich to
develop less carbon-intensive technologies; and
incredible as it might seem, international
support for the United States-India nuclear deal.

The recent appointment of former Foreign
Secretary Shyam Saran as the Prime Minister's
special envoy on climate issues has been
described in official briefings as signifying
India's intention to "use the climate change
argument to push forward its nuclear deal". As a
newspaper reported: "The government is working on
the argument that the deal is important for India
and good for the world because it addresses the
issue of climate change. If India is not to burn
the world out of the galaxy [sic] with fossil
fuels, it is in the global interest to let India
go through with the nuclear deal." This argument
will come in especially handy if a Democrat
becomes the next President of America.

However, as this Column has argued (Frontline
September 7, 2007; August 12, 2005), nuclear
power can at best make only a marginal
contribution to reducing GHGs. Besides, the
"give-us-the-deal-or-we'll-spread-the-plague"
line sounds more like a threat from an
irresponsible nation than a logically persuasive
argument. It is unlikely to find many buyers.

The third argument is that India is already doing
enough. As another daily put it: "Saran's first
job" is to "get the record right", and declare
that India is "already clean". Saran is quoted as
saying: "Nationally, we are already doing a lot.
While our economy has grown by 8-9 per cent, our
energy intensity has only grown by 4 per cent."
Similarly, he contends, India recycles 70 per
cent of its waste and is among the leaders in
wind energy. It cannot be asked to do more.

This reasoning is dubious. The 70 per cent
recycling (of what?) figure has been bandied
about without a remotely systematic, let alone
rigorous, study. This factoid is probably of the
same quality as former Environment Secretary
Prodipto Ghosh's claim that even the affluent in
India, with their hugely energy-intensive
lifestyles, fuel-guzzling cars and armies of
servants, live frugally because they sell off old
newspapers.

True, India is the world's Number 4 in wind
energy, but this contributes less than 2 per cent
to its power generation. More important is
India's other Number 4 rank: among the world's
biggest GHG emitters, a position from which it
has just displaced Japan. Equally, India is
already the world's Number 2 as far as the
expansion of coal-based electricity goes.

Much of India's recent GHG increases have come
from the "luxury consumption" of the rich,
related to privatised transport, posh housing,
air-conditioning, water overuse, and so on. There
is huge scope for reducing the energy and carbon
intensity of output, which only an irresponsible
and profligate country would ignore.

And now, Indian policymakers seem to be seeking
solace in outright denial of the need to do
anything about global warming at all, in
particular, undertake major GHG reductions. On
April 2, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman
Montek Singh Ahluwalia called for a
"comprehensive debate on the issue of climate
change" because, reported The Hindu, there is "an
element of uncertainty" on whether climate change
is as serious a threat as projected.

While releasing a report by the Civil Society
Coalition on Climate Change (CSCCC) and its
Delhi-based affiliate, the Liberty Institute,
Ahluwalia said: "It [the report] needs to be
thoroughly discussed, and if it is true, then it
is for the developed countries to mitigate the
damage caused to the environment while the
developing countries can resort to adaptation to
prevent global warming." Significantly, other
members of the establishment, including former
Environment Minister Suresh Prabhu and the
Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and
Industry secretary-general Amit Mitra, besides
Liberty Institute office-bearers, were also
present at the release.

The report (available at http://www.csccc.info)
attacks the principal conclusions of the United
Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC) and rejects any capping of GHG emissions
as this would be "counterproductive": undermine
economic development, "harm the poor", and
probably fail to address climate change problem
"in a meaningful way".

Instead, it advocates "economic development"
(read, limitless market-driven growth) and yet
more consumption, denies a link between climate
change and the growing incidence of diseases, and
zealously demands privatisation of water and
other resources and the lifting of all taxes,
tariffs, subsidies and entry barriers - to
promote "free enterprise".

Some Indian newspapers gave the report prominent
coverage, virtually equating the CSCCC, despite
its lack of expertise or scholarship on climate
issues, with the IPCC, which has 2,500 scientists
from the world over and whose deliberations
lasting 20 years led to four detailed
peer-reviewed assessment reports.

The CSCCC was only established in February 2007
and has 40-odd member-organisations, which
function as industry-friendly think tanks or
corporate lobbyists, and have names like the
Institute for Free Enterprise, Institute for
Market Economics, Hayek Institute, Free Market
Foundation, Minimal Government Thinkers, and
Liberty Institute. Earlier, the CSCCC was based
mainly in western Europe and North America and
was coordinated through the so-called
International Policy Network; now these groups
are trying to spread their influence to India and
China. Articles by their members are carried in
Indian newspapers.

The CSCCC comprises hard-core libertarians of the
Ayn Rand variety, who dogmatically advocate the
free market, including "tax freedom", minimal or
no government, unrestricted individual liberties
and strong intellectual property regimes.
Libertarians are even further to the right than
neoliberals. Many CSCCC constituents are funded
by big corporations such as ExxonMobil. (See
http://www.exxonsecrets.org, and some interesting
facts in Manu Sharma's blog,
http://orangehues.com/blog/2008/04/climate-change-in-media-ht-reaches-new.html#ref4)

Such libertarians have a "one-size-fits-all"
approach to all social, economic and political
problems, regardless of context or content. They
subordinate democracy, or the rule of the people,
to the rule of property. They do not deal with
specific issues. For instance, it is irrelevant
to them whether and what kind of human activity
may have led to global warming and what the
multifarious consequences of a rise in the
earth's temperature would be. (In fact, they are
anti-environmentalists or are climate change
deniers, like Bjorn Lomborg.)

In the past, CSCCC members have questioned the
existence of global warming on spurious or
frivolous methodological grounds, argued that
people should adapt themselves to climate change
rather than prevent or stop it, and lobbied
governments against signing the Kyoto Protocol
and participating in its follow-up conference in
Bali.
Flimsy report

The CSCCC report is utterly flimsy and fails to
grapple with the issues at the heart of the
climate debate, including the extent of global
warming and its relationship to GHG emissions;
the likely physical, ocean-related and
climatological effects of a rise in global
temperatures under varying scenarios and their
consequences for different biological systems,
human habitats, health and economic activities;
and different ways of stabilising or reducing
emissions, their differential costs and the
distribution of these costs across different
countries.

It only looks at one minuscule aspect, disease,
and summarily rejects the World Health
Organisation's detailed findings on the
climate-health link. It concludes on the basis of
vague, uncorrelated numbers that deaths from
climate-related disasters have fallen
dramatically since the 1920s as a result of
economic growth and technological development.
But that is like saying that one should not
invest in new medical discoveries because some of
the biggest gains in health indices have occurred
because of better sanitation and nutrition.

The report is an exercise in charlatanry and
sophistry, which adopts a sanctimonious tone in
speaking of the poor and their stake in not
combating global warming.

What is astonishing is that Ahluwalia should have
bestowed respectability upon such a junk-science-
based, dogma-driven, fact-free report. True, he
"wondered aloud whether Šthe IPCC could go so
horribly wrong as the current report" makes out.
But this criticism was oblique and mild, within a
general commendation of the document. This stands
in sharp contrast to his scathing attack on the
United Nations Development Programme's Human
Development Report, which too he released last
year, for asking India to make GHG cuts. In any
case, it is doubtful whether he would have lent
his weight to a radical (as against corporate or
free market) environmental agenda.

It is sad, embarrassing, even shameful, that our
policymakers should countenance giving any
quarter to libertarianism and fall back on its
pseudo-science to resist the eminently reasonable
demand that fast-growing, big economies such as
China and India must stop using resources
profligately, limit elite consumption, adopt
energy-efficient technologies and move towards
capping their emissions.
Deeper cuts needed

What makes this even more deplorable is the
evidence emerging from solid scientific studies
that suggests that the world needs to make much
deeper cuts in GHG emissions than suggested by
the IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report, or rather,
its politically negotiated, widely circulated
"Summary for Policymakers", which has influenced
policymakers and the media.

The prestigious science journal Nature (April 3)
published a remarkable article entitled
"Dangerous assumptions" by Roger Pielke, Tom
Wigley and Christopher Green, which argues that
the IPCC's Summary holds that the world economy
is moving towards decarbonisation (reduced use of
fossil fuels per unit of production) and that
energy efficiency (the amount of energy needed to
produce, say, Rs.10 crore worth of goods) is
falling.

Under this trend, the world will spontaneously
achieve about three-fourths of the reduction in
GHG emissions needed to stabilise atmospheric
carbon dioxide levels at around 500 parts per
million without policy intervention such as
tightened regulation and incentives and
disincentives. Such reductions are built into the
IPCC's reference scenarios. Thanks to this "free
ride" provided by decarbonisation, the world will
only have to bring about a much smaller GHG
reduction under different scenarios.

"In all [scenarios], the IPCC assumes that most
of the challenge (between 57 per cent and 96 per
cent) of achieving stabilisation Šwill occur
automatically, leaving a much smaller
emissions-reduction target for explicit climate
policies," say the authors.

Alas, this is not to be! In reality, the world is
recarbonising, "thanks to the economic
transformation taking place in the developing
world, especially in China and India. As
development proceeds, rural populations move to
high-rise buildings that consume energy and
energy-intensive materials. This process is
likely to continueŠ all over populous South Asia,
and eventually Africa, until well beyond 2050."

The IPCC assumes that Asian carbon dioxide
emissions will rise by 2.6 to 8.4 per cent a year
between 2000 and 2010. But more realistic
estimates, based on actual observation of energy
intensity and efficiency, are much higher, as
high as 13 per cent for China. Therefore, much
deeper GHG cuts will be needed in developing Asia
as well as the developed West. These will demand
improved efficiencies not just across countries
but "in individual energy-using sectors",
especially, heavy energy consumers such as
electricity generation, construction and cement,
chemicals and metals production.

The IPCC will no doubt revisit these scenarios
but is not due to do so until 2013. The world
cannot wait that long to start the process of
decarbonisation. It has become imperative to
break the link between poverty reduction and
carbon emissions and recognise that GHG emissions
cannot be adequately controlled by setting
binding output targets and relying on CDM
markets, as Kyoto does. What the world needs is a
combination of GHG reduction targets and massive
plans for new technology development and
technology transfer to developing Asia.

The sooner our policymakers accept this, the better for us.*

______

[5] Communalism in Goa

Herald, 24 April 2008, Editorial

JUST SAY NO!

In a time when religious intolerance is
increasing, it comes as a breath of fresh air
when ordinary people stand up to say no to those
who propagate that the people who worship
differently from you are the 'enemy'. In that
sense,' the faithful of the Madina Masjid in
Vasco must be congratulated for seeking the
removal of a cleric who through his preachings
was trying to create tensions within different
sections of the Muslim community in the port
town. The recent violence in Malbhat in Margao
seems to have added to the urgency of the
situation.

However, it is not only among Muslims that
intolerance is sought to be spread. The Bajrang
Dal, especially its leader in South Goa, one
Jayesh Naik, has been making unnecessarily
aggressive statements. In a recent Hindu
religious meeting in Margao, among other
provocative statements, he said that "Margao is
no more the city of the Hindus". Cities do not
belong to religions. They belong to the
residents. And it is up to the people to disown
those who seek to sow the seeds of hate and
create tension where none is necessary.

Hinduism is in no danger of any kind. Despite
being restricted mainly to South Asia-it is the
dominant religion in India, Nepal, and among the
Tamils in Sri Lanka-Hinduism is the world's third
largest religion, after Christianity and Islam,
which are the predominant religions of dozens of
countries. About 13 per cent of the world's
population is Hindu, mostly in India.

In fact, Hinduism differs from Christianity and
other Western religions in its essential
decentralisation in organisation, values and
scriptures. It does not have a single founder, a
specific theological system, a single system of
morality, or a central religious organisation. It
consists of thousands of different religious
groups, some of which differ radically from each
other, but all of which have evolved in India
over thousands of years; Hinduism is universally
regarded as the world's oldest organised religion
and, owing to its essentially diversified
structure, has traditionally been among the
world's most religiously tolerant faiths.

It is outfits like the Bajrang Dal that want to
change this basic nature of Hinduism, and make it
more intolerant. And to do this, they create a
bogey that Hinduism is "in danger". It is time
that ordinary Hindus in Goa, who have been living
in harmony with people of other religions for
centuries, say no to people who want to spread
hate and mistrust. Religion is an intensely
personal thing, and it is best confined to the
personal space.

Goa has so far remained a place where there is
tolerance among religions. In a country that has
seen terrible religious violence, especially in
states like Gujarat and Orissa, Goa is an island
of calm. We must keep it that way. And, the way
to do this is for ordinary citizens to stand up
and tell people it who want to incite hatred on
religious grounds that we will not stand for it.
We have grown up in a peaceful and tolerant
state, and we owe it to our children that they
too should be able to live their lives happily,
without fear of religious tension or violence.

The devotees of the Madina Masjid have shown the
way. Just as ordinary citizens in so many
villages in Goa are standing up and coming
together to fight against large housing and
commercial real estate projects that threaten
their way of life, they must also unitedly stand
up to say no to the peddlers of hate. They are no
better than the peddlers of drugs. What they do
is destoy lives.  And there is only one answer to
both these social scourges: just say no!

Human Rights Watch - 14 April 2008

INDIA: STOP EVICTING DISPLACED PEOPLE
Government Should Ensure Protection and Assistance

(New York, April 14, 2008) - The Indian
government should stop forced eviction and
relocation of tens of thousands of men, women,
and children from their forest settlements in
Andhra Pradesh where they sought safety from the
violence in neighboring Chhattisgarh state, Human
Rights Watch said today.

In the latest crackdown against displaced
persons, the Andhra Pradesh forest department on
April 5, 2008, destroyed homes of displaced
indigenous persons residing in Kothooru village
to forcibly evict them. Since January 2007, the
Andhra Pradesh forest department has made about
10 attempts to forcibly evict displaced persons
from Kothooru.

"Many thousands of men, women, and children fled
to Andhra Pradesh from the conflict in
Chhattisgarh," said Meenakshi Ganguly, senior
researcher for South Asia at Human Rights Watch.
"Instead of providing them with safe sanctuary,
the authorities are tearing down their homes and
putting them in harm's way."

Since June 2005, between 30,000 and 50,000 people
have fled to Khammam and Warrangal districts of
Andhra Pradesh following escalating tensions in
Chhattisgarh between Naxalites, an armed Maoist
group, and a state-supported vigilante group
called Salwa Judum. Although the Indian federal,
and Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh state
governments describe Salwa Judum as a
"spontaneous uprising against Naxal abuses,"
Human Rights Watch found that police routinely
participate in violent Salwa Judum raids against
villages suspected of being pro-Naxalite.
According to Human Rights Watch investigations in
November and December 2007, most villagers fled
to Andhra Pradesh because of attacks by Salwa
Judum and police.

Once in neighboring Andhra Pradesh, many of these
displaced persons settled in reserved forest
areas. Saying these settlements are illegal, the
authorities have without prior notice or due
process repeatedly burned down the hamlets of
hundreds of displaced persons, forcibly evicting
them from forest lands. In some cases, Andhra
Pradesh forest department officials have forced
them into trucks and dropped them close to the
Chhattisgarh state boundary.

A Human Rights Watch investigation in November
and December 2007 found that Andhra Pradesh
authorities have also failed to provide the
displaced persons with basic assistance including
food, water, shelter, medical services,
sanitation, and livelihood opportunities as set
out by the United Nations Guiding Principles on
Internal Displacement. The Andhra Pradesh
government denies existing government welfare
benefits to those displaced on several grounds,
including that they are not residents of Andhra
Pradesh.

"The Indian federal and Andhra Pradesh state
governments have done nothing in nearly three
years to address the massive displacement of
people from Chhattisgarh," Ganguly said.
"Thousands of people need help, and the
government has utterly failed to respond to their
needs. Instead, they try to force them back to
areas where they are even more vulnerable. It's
unacceptable."

Human Rights Watch called on the Indian
government to immediately draw up a plan to
address the specific protection and assistance
needs of displaced persons in Andhra Pradesh. The
government should take immediate steps to prevent
the Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh governments
from unlawful forced relocation and extend all
government welfare schemes to displaced persons
without discriminating against them.

The Indian government should also develop a
comprehensive national policy for internally
displaced persons in consultation with displaced
persons, governmental, non-governmental, and
inter-governmental organizations, and in
accordance with the UN Guiding Principles on
Internal Displacement.

o o o

The Times of India

TALK TO NAXALITES, SAYS GOVT PANEL

by Akshaya Mukul

NEW DELHI: Admitting that the rise of Naxalism
was a "political movement with a strong base
among poor peasantry and adivasis", a
high-powered government committee has ascribed
its growth to people's discontent and complete
failure of the system and asked for immediate
winding up of the Salwa Judum.

The report, prepared by a panel set up by the
Planning Commission, said that measures like
Salwa Judum "delegitimizes politics, dehumanizes
people, degenerates those engaged in their
security and above all, represents abdication of
the state itself".

While criticising the crude violence practised by
Naxalites, the committee asked the government to
first deal with the problem of landlessness,
ensure livelihood and have an effective land
acquisition, rehabilitation and resettlement
policy. It also asked the government to hold
peace talks with the Naxalites.

Stating that "dissent or expression of
dissatisfaction is a positive feature of
democracy", the committee said, "What is
surprising is not the fact of unrest, but the
failure of the state to draw right conclusions
from it."

The committee recommended that all debt
liabilities of the weaker sections be liquidated
where the debtor has paid an amount equivalent to
the original principal and where intended benefit
for which the loan was taken has not accrued to
the borrowers. A policy and legal framework
should be put in place to enable small and
marginal farmers to lease-in land with secure
rights while landless poor occupying government
land should not be treated as encroachers.
Instead, they should be declared as deemed patta
holders on "as is where is" basis.

The committee recommended that the tribal
sub-plan be brought under the fifth schedule and
forest produce be provided protection of minimum
support price.

"Public purpose" in the Land Acquisition Act
should be limited to national security and public
welfare and should not be stretched to
acquisition for companies, cooperatives and
registered societies. Police should undergo
rigorous training not only on humane tactics of
controlling rural violence but also on the
constitutional obligation of the state for the
protection of fundamental rights.

The committee, set up by the Planning Commission
in 2006, is headed by D Bandopadhyay, a retired
IAS officer who played a key role in dealing with
Naxalites in West Bengal in the 1970s. Among the
members are Prakash Singh, former UP DGP and an
expert on Naxal issues; Ajit Doval, former
director of Intelligence Bureau; B D Sharma,
retired bureaucrat and activist; Sukhdeo Thorat,
UGC chairman and K Balagopal, human rights
lawyer. The committee submitted its report
earlier this month.

On growth of Naxalism, the report said that while
policy documents admitted direct correlation
between extremism and poverty, in practice, the
government treated it as a law and order problem.
"It is necessary to change this mindset and bring
about congruence between policy and
implementation," the panel said.

The report has exhaustive details about social,
political, economic and cultural discrimination
faced by SCs/STs in the country and how that
resulted in discontented people finding succour
in immediate justice provided by the Naxalites.

To buttress its point, the committee did a survey
of four districts affected by Naxalism and
compared it with four comparatively more
developed ones in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar,
Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa.

It was found that the districts where Naxalism
had grown were different from developed ones in
10 ways: high share of SC/ST population, low
literacy, high infant mortality, low level of
urbanization, high forest cover, high share of
agricultural labour, low per capita foodgrain
production, low level of road length, high share
of rural households without bank accounts and
high share of rural households without specified
assets.

Blaming the growth of Naxalism on poor
governance, the report said, "It is not
fortuitous that overwhelmingly large sections of
bureaucracy/technocracy constituting the delivery
system come from landowning dominant castes or
well-to-do middle classes, with their attachment
to ownership of property, cultural superiority,
purity-pollution governed behaviour and a state
of mind which rationalizes and asserts their
existing position of dominance in relation to
others".

Arguing that land-related factors played an
important role in the growth of Naxalism, as seen
in the "land to the tiller" policy of the
Naxalites, the report said Naxalites had done
little to redistribute private land among poor.
Pointing out that thousands of acres of land
remained fallow, the panel asked the government
to devise legal means to ensure that the landless
got land.

It also suggested that land be returned to those
landholders where it was taken by Naxalites for
political reasons. "Excesses of the Naxalites in
this regard are not only unjustified but deserve
utmost censure," the report said.

o o o

The Times of India

MEMORIES OF A NAXALITE FRIEND

by Jyoti Punwani

Cerebral malaria can be fatal, but people have
been known to recover from it. Anuradha Ghandy,
however, didn't stand a chance. Already weakened
by the sclerosis when she walked into the
hospital, it was too late. Within 24 hours, she
was gone. By the time her vast circle of friends
was informed on the evening of April 12, the
54-year-old had already been cremated. Better
this than death by 'encounter', after prolonged
torture. For that was the fate we feared this
Naxalite could not escape.

That Anu managed to evade arrest for so long, was
an indicator of the ruthlessness with which she
effaced her identity. This, of course, meant
isolating herself from all those who would have
given up everything to nurse her. There was
another way she could have recovered, even while
underground. Anu could have followed medical
advice and given herself the break her body so
badly needed. For someone so important to the
Party (CPI-Maoist), it might well have allowed
it. But that wasn't her style.

Just climbing stairs had become an ordeal five
years ago. Yet, days before her death, she was in
some jungle where malaria was probably an
inevitability. Anuradha Ghandy, I learnt after
her death, was a senior Maoist leader. Her
political career spans the first radical student
outfit in Mumbai (PROYOM) in the '70s, and the
armed dalams of Adivasi women in Bastar. Certain
that like her comrades in Chandrapur, she too
would be implicated in false cases and arrested,
Anu went underground some years ago.

When I first met her in 1970, Anuradha Shanbag
was the belle of the ball in Mumbai's Elphinstone
College. A petite bundle of energy, bright eyes
sparkling behind square glasses, her ready
laughter, near-backless cholis and coquettish
ways had everyone eating out of her hands,
professors included. Elphinstone then was an
intellectual hub. The Bangladesh war was just
over, drought and famine stalked Maharashtra.
Naxalism had come to Mumbai, at that time the
industrial capital of the country. Anu, majoring
in Sociology, was everywhere-inviting Mumbai's
leading radicals to talk about the reasons for
the drought, putting up posters that proclaimed
'Beyond Pity' and urging students to get involved
with the crisis in the countryside, defending
this stand against those who felt a student's
role must be limited to academics and at the
most, 'social work'.

Anu was also the one to question celebrity guest
speakers such as Girish Karnad, whose
path-breaking plays had just hit the stage, on
the link between theatre and society. And it was
Anu who introduced us to that feminist bible,
Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch. Those were
the days of 'parallel' cinema. Marathi amateur
theatre was blossoming at Dadar's Chhabildas
Hall. The Dalit Panthers had exploded into the
Marathi literary scene. Adil Jussawala's New
Writing In India was still making waves. Forum
Against Rape, Mumbai's first feminist group, had
just been founded. Anu, by then a lecturer at
Wilson College, was immersed in all this. With
her wide range of interests, she succeeded in
linking the human rights organisation she and few
others founded after Emergency with the city's
intellectual ferment. Among other things, the
Committee for the Protection of Democratic Rights
(CPDR), demanded that the State stop acting
lawlessly with Naxalites even though they
rejected its laws.

Thanks to Anu's ability to talk as intelligently
with George Fernandes as with Satyadev Dubey, her
brother Sunil Shanbag's mentor, the cream of
Mumbai's intellectuals supported this demand.
Playwright Vijay Tendulkar and reformist Asghar
Ali Engineer were CPDR's president and
vice-president.

It was time for Anu to grow into a successful
academic, the type who writes books and attends
international seminars. Instead, in 1982, she
left the life she loved to work in Nagpur. The
wretched conditions of contract workers in the
new industrial areas near Nagpur and of Adivasis
in the forests of Chandrapur had to be
challenged. Committed cadres were needed. In her
subsequent trips to Mumbai, Anu never complained
about the drastic change in her life: cycling to
work under the relentless Nagpur sun; living in
the city's Dalit area, the mention of which drew
shudders from Nagpur's elite; then moving to
backward Chandrapur. In Marxist study circles,
'declassing oneself' is quite a buzzword. From
Mumbai's Leftists, only Anu and her husband
Kobad, both lovers of the good life, actually did
so.

Kobad's family home had been a sprawling Worli
Sea Face flat; he was a Doon School product.
Anu's lawyer-father may have left his family
estate in Coorg to defend communists in court in
the '50s, but she had never seen deprivation.
Despite her own rough life, neither did Anu make
us feel guilty for our bourgeois luxuries nor did
she patronise us. On the few occasions she would
suddenly land up over these 25 years, it was as
if she had never left. She had the same capacity
to laugh, even at herself, the same ability to
connect, even with management types, the same
readiness to indulge in women's talk. But with
those closest to her, she seemed unnaturally
detached. Her parents doted on her, yet she
didn't take every opportunity she could to meet
them. I realise why now.

Rushing to meet them whenever she came to Mumbai
would have been worse than an indulgence. It
would not only have eaten into the time she had
for Party work, it would have also made it
impossible for her family to have accepted what
she saw as inevitable-an underground future. In
order not to endanger her family, Anu simply
disappeared from their horizon. When her father
died, she couldn't go home. That was also the
reason for her harsh decision never to have
children, though her parents would have willingly
brought them up. That was one bond she knew would
draw her away from the life she had chosen.

The 'Naxalite menace', says Manmohan Singh, is
the biggest threat to the country. But I remember
a girl who was always laughing, and who gave up a
life rich in every way to change the lives of
others.

________

[7]

Combat Law
March April 2008

Prisoner's Rights
WOMEN PRISONERS' RIGHTS

The wide gap between theory and practice
vis-à-vis women prisoner's rights leaves much to
be desired on the part of the government and
prison administration. Yet the wont is to applaud
certain Supreme Court orders in this regard and
do nothing about it, writes Grace Pelly

The prison system is a predominantly male-centric
model, concerned with security and containment of
threat. Little thought has historically been
given to the gender-specific needs of the female
prison population. Today, approximately four
percent of the prison population in India is
female and there are just 14 women-only prisons.
This comparatively small female prison population
has led to the needs of female prisoners often
being neglected despite ongoing calls for
large-scale reforms of the treatment of women
prisoners. This article will highlight the
gender-specific needs and, equally importantly,
the gender-specific rights of women prisoners set
out in international and domestic documents. The
article will also consider the Supreme Court's
more recent examination of the subject in RD
Upadhyay v State of Andhra Pradesh and Others.
Exercising significant judicial activism, the
court directed that widespread reforms be carried
out in the field of women prisoners' right and
ordered that these reforms be implemented within
three months. Like the Justice VR Krishna Iyer
committee report in 1979, the report by the All
India committee on jail reforms in 1983 and the
Model Prison Manual of 2003 before it, Upadhyay
will have little practical impact unless the
Indian government takes positive steps to
entrench the recommendations in legislation. For
far too long, prisoners' rights and women
prisoners' rights in particular, continue to
exhibit the unacceptable gulf between successful
constitutional rights theory and the successful
realisation of these rights in practice.

Women prisoners' needs

The majority of women prisoners in India are
housed in women-only wings in mixed prisons and
women-only prisons and are supervised by women
prison officers. Although this may indicate that
gender main-streaming is alive and well in the
prison system, this is not evident in most
aspects of prison life. One example of disturbing
gender insensitivity is the case of Malkangiri
prison in Orissa where the only bathroom has
neither a roof nor a door. As a result, the
female prisoners are exposed to stares from the
prison sentries and afforded no privacy.

The needs of women prisoners often differ from
their male counterparts. Women need
gender-specific facilities for healthcare, to
help them in childbirth, to care for their
children in prison, to receive counseling to
guard against the possibility of rape and sexual
assault and to maintain contact with their
dependants outside the prison. This is reflected
in the international standards on the treatment
of prisoners and detainees. The Body of
Principles for the Protection of All Persons
under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment
explicitly recognises the need for specific
measures to be adopted to protect the rights and
special status of women, particularly pregnant
women and nursing mothers. In the domestic
context, the specific needs of women are
recognised by the Indian Supreme Court and are
set out exhaustively in the Model Prison Manual.

Health

The majority of women in prisons are amongst the
poorest members of society and many arrive in
prison with a range of prior-existing physical
and mental health problems. International best
practices state that the medical services
provided for women prisoners should be of the
same quality and standard as those available to
the outside (free) community. These services
should include HIV/AIDS testing, breast and
cervical screening, family planning and sexual
health services. The Model Prison Manual states
that: "Only lady doctors shall look after the
medical care of women prisoners during their stay
in prison". In practice, however, the health
facilities available to women in prisons are
ill-equipped and lack sufficient resources to
adequately test, diagnose and treat inmates. On
visiting a number of jails in Orissa, a
fact-finding team of the committee on violence
against women expressed concern over the poor
hygiene conditions, lack of adequate medical
facilities and overcrowding they witnessed in
female prisons. In one prison, which housed 200
women, the committee noted that there was no
doctor and the only medical facility was a single
pharmacist. Furthermore, the limit on medical
expenditure for the prison was just Rs. 100 per
day. In March 2007 women prisoners in Orissa
complained that they are not, and have never
been, provided with sanitary pads. The oversight
of this basic need highlights the long-term
practical neglect of women's issues in the prison
context.
In addition to the physical medical attention
required by women, the female prison population
is disproportionately affected by mental health
problems, with higher levels of depression,
anxiety, phobias, neuroses, self-mutilation and
suicide compared to both the general population
and the male prison population. This is due to
the fact that a large number of women prisoners
have been victims of physical, sexual, mental and
domestic abuse and are often traumatised as a
result. The Model Prison Manual states that:
"Female prisoners needing treatment for mental
diseases shall not be admitted to prison. They
shall be kept in separate enclosures for female
patients at the mental health hospital, or in
other mental health facilities, under the
supervision of a lady medical officer". It goes
on to recommend that: "Female offenders suffering
from mental disorders, anxiety (and) drug
addictionŠ should get proper medical treatment
and psychotherapy". In practice, however, women's
prisons lack the resources to implement this best
standard and mental health problems remain
largely undiagnosed and untreated.

Pregnant women

Both the international standards and the Model
Prison Manual require that pregnant women in
prison be provided with special accommodation for
all necessary pre-natal and post-natal care and
treatment. The Model Prison Manual also details
the additional nutritional requirements of
pregnant and nursing women: "During pregnancy and
lactation, a woman needs more protein and
minerals than otherwise. The extra protein can be
obtained by substituting a part of the cereal
portion of the diet with more milk, fish, meat
and eggs, and in the case of vegetarians by
concentrating more on milk and milk products.
This would also ensure the necessary additional
supply of minerals. Pregnant and nursing women
need about 3100 calories every day". A study
carried out by the national institute of
criminology and forensic sciences found that in
practice women are not receiving adequate medical
attention during and after their pregnancies and
nor are they receiving additional food during
their pregnancy. Again, it is clear that whilst
the theoretical standards afforded to women
prisoners are sophisticated in their detail, they
have had little, if any practical benefit.
There are, however, occasional examples of gender
sensitive programmes being implemented for women
prisoners. For example, in Karnataka, Maharashtra
and Rajasthan prisons have special diets for
lactating mothers and babies. Whilst these
initiatives are clearly commendable, they remain
few and far between. It is unacceptable that
despite the academic and judicial activism on the
issue, most women prisoners continue to lack
adequate pre and post-natal care.

Visiting rights

Women prisoners suffer a more severe range of
social exclusion problems than men on leaving
prison and it is recognised that maintaining
close contact with friends and families makes
their rehabilitation and re-integration into the
community easier. In India, the few penal
institutions catering for women mean that many
women are imprisoned long distances from their
families. This can have devastating effects on
the prisoner and on their family. It is important
for women prisoners to maintain close contact
with their families outside, particularly
important for women who have children who are too
old to live with them in prison. The Model Prison
Manual recognises this gender-specific need and
provides for women to have increased numbers of
visits from friends and families, for illiterate
women to be given special help in writing letters
and for there to be no limit on the number of
letters received by women prisoners. The Manual
also sets out special measures to be taken to
encourage visitors to the prisoners such as the
creation of a special waiting room.

Childcare in prison

The findings of a report by the national
institute of criminology and forensic sciences in
2000 showed that children who lived with their
mothers in prisons were growing up without
adequate nutrition, medical care and few
educational opportunities. The Indian council of
legal aid and advice filed public interest
litigation in the Supreme Court, asking that
state governments formulate proper guidelines for
the protection and welfare of children of women
prisoners.
The case of RD Upadhyay v State of Andhra Pradesh
and Others was decided in April 2006 . In this
case, the Supreme Court recognised, and examined
in detail the gender-specific needs and rights of
women prisoners. The Court examined the plight of
children who grow up in prison with their mothers
and set down detailed minimum standards to ensure
that the mother and child receive food, shelter,
medical care, clothing, education and
recreational facilities as a matter of right.
Relying on both fundamental rights in the
Constitution and directive principles the Supreme
Court ordered that a number of standards be
adopted in prisons throughout the country.

The Court set out the following special
provisions for women prisoners and their children:

     * For pregnant women all basic facilities of
pre-natal care and post-natal care shall be
arranged for both mother and the child.
     * Births in prison shall be registered in the
local birth registration office. The fact that
the child has been born in the prison shall not
be recorded on the birth certificate.
     * Female prisoners are allowed to keep their
children with them until they reach six years of
age. After this period they are to be taken to a
suitable institution run by the Social Welfare
Department.
     * Sleeping facilities that are provided to
the mother and the child should be adequate,
clean and hygienic.
     * The child of female prisoners living in the
jails shall be given proper education and
recreational opportunities. While their mothers
are at work in jail, the children shall be kept
in crèches under the charge of a female warden.
     * Women prisoners with children should not be
kept in sub-jails, unless proper facilities can
be ensured which would make for a conducive
environment for proper biological, psychological
and social growth.

The Supreme Court directed that all relevant
laws, rules and regulations were to be amended
within three months in order to comply with the
directions. The Court also ordered that positive
steps be taken to implement the new provisions in
practice. The Upadhyay judgment further cemented
the notion of women prisoners' rights as rights
different from those of the general prison
population.

Conclusion

In order for women prisoners to attain the full
range of rights open to them, the Government of
India must take positive steps to implement them
in practice. As we have seen, there are isolated
examples of prison authorities granting specific
rights to women prisoners but these are limited
in number. Whilst the judicial activism of the
Supreme Court in the Upadhyay case is to be
applauded, the on-going tension between a
rights-based theory and the practical realisation
of these rights is unmistakable. It is a
depressing prospect that today, advocates of
prison reform still echo the sentiments of
Justice VR Krishna Iyer expressed thirty years
ago -- "I hope that prison reform will receive
prompt attention as the higher political echelons
in the country know the need and we may not be
called upon to pronounce on the inalienable
minima of human rights that our constitutional
order holds dear". Through all these years, the
Supreme Court has shown itself to be an eager
proponent of women's rights. Yet when it comes to
the present context the lack of their actual
application rob them of meaning and substance
vis-à-vis those they seek to protect.

Sexual harassment panel. What's that? ask govt depts -
INDIAN EXPRESS April 24, 2008

Vadodara, April 23 "We have three women
employees, they are all married and are adults.
They know about the resolution. So, we don't feel
the need for having such a committee, but we are
still in the process of doing so," writes the
Gujarat State Co-operative Tribunal in response
to an RTI application on the status of Sexual
Harassment Committee (SHC) formed in state
government offices.

It was on February 7 that Vadodara-based activist
Rohit Prajapati filed an application under the
RTI Act at the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) to
know the status of the SHCs formed in wake of the
Patan gangrape incident wherein six teachers were
accused of raping a student in a Primary
Teacher's College.

Instead of an answer from the CMO, Prajapati has
been receiving replies from various departments
to which the CMO had forwarded the RTI
application. And the answers are very
interesting, revealing the lack of understanding
of the very concept of SHC in sarkari corridors.

Gujarat State Biotechnology Mission (GSBM) also
has an interesting reply. "We do not have an SHC.
We appoint employees on contractual basis with a
tenure of 11 months. There is very little staff
and we have no SHC." Even the Institute of
Seismological Research, under the state
Department of Science, says that it has no SHC as
all the employees are hired on contract. This
comes in spite of a Supreme Court directive that
binds everyone to have such a committee.

The list of such departments does not end here.
The state Health department and even the Gujarat
Pavitra Yatradham Vikas Board say that the
formation of SHC does not concern them at all and
neither do they have one. They perhaps are taking
a cue from the Gujarat Administration department,
which also says that forming such a committee
does not come under its purview.

The answer by College of Nursing in Ahmedabad is
even more alarming. The institute says it has no
instruction to form any such committee.
Incidentally, the college has a fair share of
girl students.

Some departments have candidly admitted to the
fact that they have no such committee and nor are
they in the process of forming one. There are
some like the Gujarat Council of Science and
Technology where all the members are males, or in
some cases, like that of Science and Industrial
department, the committee was formed in March
2008.

Prajapati pointed out that the exercise only
revealed the utter lack of awareness about the
issue in government offices and policy makers.
"They are treating it as some routine file
pushing affair, many don't even know the basics
of SHC formation. Worse, the CMO instead of
giving a state-wide picture has pushed the
application to all departments," he said.

Incidentally, the Patan PTC where the teachers
had gangraped the student also had no sexual
harassment committee.

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/