SACW | Dec.10-12, 2007 / Sri Lanka - Human rights / Junoon musician dedicates concert to Pakistan resistance against emergency / India: Routine Violence

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Dec 12 00:37:57 CST 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire | December 10-12, 2007 |
Dispatch No. 2475 - Year 10 running

[1] Sri Lanka: Peace sans human rights not worth having (Rohini Hensman)
[2] Pakistan: An equal music (Salman Ahmad)
[3] India: Violence within, politics without (Ajay K. Mehra)
[4] India: The limits of violence (K Balagopal)
[5] India: Erosion of Democratic Norms: A case of Modi (Ram Puniyani)
[6] India: Reading The Tea Leaves (Sanjib Baruah)
[7] India: Book Banning (A G Noorani)
[8] Announcements:
'Live with Talat'  (Karachi, 12 Dec 2007)

The Island

PEACE SANS HUMAN RIGHTS NOT WORTH HAVING

by Rohini Hensman

Text of a talk at the celebration of Human Rights
Defenders, Organised by the Law and Society
Trust, Inform Human Rights Documentation Centre
and Rights now Collective for Democracy at the
BCIS auditorium on Dec. 06

I have been asked to talk about Rajan Hoole and
Kopalasingham Sritharan of the University
Teachers for Human Rights (Jaffna) (UTHR(J)), who
received the Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights
Defenders this year. I was absolutely thrilled
when they got the award, because I had been
feeling for years that they hadn't received
sufficient recognition for the amazing work they
had been doing under extremely difficult
circumstances, without any institutional support
or proper funding, and leading a hunted existence
due to their refusal to give up human rights work
despite death threats from the Liberation Tigers
of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

Rajan is my cousin, I have known him practically
from the time he was born. We played together as
children and later had arguments on issues
ranging from Tamil nationalism to feminism. But
one thing I never disagreed with was his deep
commitment to non-violence, justice and human
dignity, which underpins his human rights work. I
got to know Sri properly only after Rajani
Thiranagama's murder and his hair-raising escape
from Jaffna. Coming from a Marxist background,
his politics are in some ways closer to mine, and
his razor-sharp analysis is a notable element in
the UTHR(J) reports.
UTH(J) was founded in 1988, in the midst of the
worst period Sri Lanka has been through in its
entire existence, with tens of thousands being
killed in the course of fighting between the
Indian Peace-Keeping Force (IPKF) and LTTE in the
North and East, and between the Janata Vimukthi
Peramuna (JVP) and government of Sri Lanka in the
rest of the country. The precursor to the UTHR(J)
publications was The Broken Palmyra, co-authored
by Rajan, Sri, Rajani Thiranagama and Daya
Somasundaram. Rajani, a co-founder of UTHR(J),
was a doctor and lecturer in anatomy. Her murder
by the LTTE in 1989 was not only a terrible
tragedy, but also a serious loss for the group,
to which her focus on women and strong feminist
voice made a major contribution. Daya is a
psychiatrist, who has written very illuminating
books on the psychological trauma resulting from
violence, both for its victims and for its
perpetrators. He stayed on for a while after
Rajan and Sri left Jaffna, but he, too was
finally forced to leave.

The Broken Palmyra set a pattern that persists
till today, and which was mentioned explicitly as
a reason why UTHR(J) got the Martin Ennals Award,
namely, the ability to see and report on the
evils of human rights violations regardless of
who the victims or who the perpetrators are.
Thus, the book deals with violations committed by
the Sri Lankan security forces and the IPKF, but
it also reveals the ugly record of abuses by the
LTTE and other Tamil groups. In fact, this is in
some ways its focus: the palmyra, the symbol of
Tamil society, can bend before the blast of
external repression, but it breaks only when
something is rotten within.  The agony of seeing
the society they loved torn apart by fratricidal
violence and of innocence desecrated by the
induction of children into armed groups comes
through loud and clear in this and subsequent
publications.

This means that unlike the phony human rights
advocates who are silent about atrocities
committed by members of their own ethnic or
religious group against members of other groups,
UTHR(J) has highlighted and condemned massacres
of Sinhalese and Muslims, and the wholesale
expulsion of Muslims from the North. Unlike human
rights defenders who felt that the case for
defending the human rights of Tamils would be
weakened if atrocities committed by Tamil groups
were publicised, they felt that precisely those
atrocities had the potential to destroy Tamil
society more completely than anything inflicted
on them from outside, and therefore should be
condemned most vehemently.

UTHR(J) got a lot of flak for this, especially
after the 2002 ceasefire, when the bulk of their
criticism was directed against the LTTE. Not only
Tamils but also many Sinhalese accused them of
LTTE-bashing. I think I understand where this
criticism comes from: it is based on a
fundamentally different conception of being
'even-handed' or 'unbiased', one that I think is
deeply flawed. I already outlined UTHR(J)'s
conception: basically the belief that all
violations of human rights should be recorded,
reported and condemned, regardless of who is
committing them and against whom. This other
conception is that if there are two parties to a
conflict, then whenever you criticise or condemn
one party, you must criticise and condemn the
other equally. But, if the LTTE is conscripting
children and the government is not involved in
child conscription, then how can you criticise
government forces for child conscription? If the
LTTE is committing ten times more ceasefire
violations and extra-judicial killings than the
government, as even the Sri Lanka Monitoring
Mission admitted, then how can you condemn them
equally? The answer given by far too many NGOs
was by downplaying or even remaining silent about
LTTE abuses. I have listened to speeches about
human rights in Sri Lanka where LTTE atrocities
against Muslims were not even mentioned. No
mention of child conscription. Not a word about
the killings of Tamil critics. No wonder UTHR (J)
sounded as if it were Tiger-bashing when it went
on and on about those issues! It was because of
the deafening silence coming from the peace
lobby, which didn't want to rock the peace boat
by raising them, even though this amounted to a
decision that the human rights of Muslims, Tamil
children and Tamil dissidents were not worth
defending.

I think there were several catastrophic
consequences of this silence.  Firstly, it meant
that nothing was done to rein in LTTE. Secondly,
it led to an enormous build-up of bitterness and
resentment among Sinhalese, especially in cases
where Sinhalese were the target of attack:
resentment that should have been directed against
the LTTE, but could later be unleashed against
Tamil civilians because the Sinhala nationalists,
LTTE and peace lobby all colluded in propagating
the myth that the LTTE represented all Tamils.
Thirdly, it discredited human rights advocates in
general by making it appear that they were biased
towards the LTTE, because the sad fact was that
many of them were. Thus, when the war broke out
again and government forces really did start
committing horrific violations, the accusations
of these people could be dismissed with a certain
amount of credibility by government propagandists.

UTHR(J), on the other hand, has made the sharpest
denunciations of government policies, and not a
single government propagandist has dared so much
as to hint that they are pro-LTTE. That is the
advantage of a principled commitment to human
rights which is not swayed one way or the other
by contingent political considerations, such as
whether peace talks are in progress or not: no
one can question your bona fides without sounding
absurd. And any political considerations are
immaterial when set against respect for human
rights, which is the very basis of our humanity.
'Peace' without human rights is not worth having,
because it is the 'peace' of humanity crushed and
killed, the 'peace' of the graveyard in which
humanity is buried.

A project like UTHR(J) can't be run entirely by
two individuals, however great they may be. I
mentioned Rajani, who was killed, and there were
others who paid with their lives for
participating. Rajan's wife Kirupa and Sri's wife
Vasantha have been towers of strength, providing
financial, logistical and moral support, as well
as caring for the children. In some ways the
burden they bear is even heavier than that of
their partners, since it is worse to fear for the
life of a loved one than to risk your own, yet
these two courageous women have never faltered.
Then there is a network of grassroots
fact-finders in the North and East whose names I
don't know, and don't even want to know at the
moment, because what they are doing is so
dangerous. The award is shared by all of them.
If we are being sincere in felicitating them, I
feel we must commit ourselves to promoting their
work in whatever way we can. That could mean
quoting them or publishing extracts from their
work wherever appropriate, but also, more
generally, taking up their stance and making it
our own.  This includes a clear and
uncompromising rejection of both the LTTE's
ultimate goal - an exclusively Tamil,
totalitarian state - and the methods by which it
is sought to be achieved, using innocent
civilians and even the LTTE's own cadre simply as
objects to be blown up at will. Here, I appeal
especially to Sinhalese human rights defenders
and peace campaigners. Muslims are vulnerable to
attack from both sides, and most Tamils who have
taken on the LTTE in a major way have either been
killed or been forced to flee Sri Lanka. On the
other hand, to the best of my knowledge, the LTTE
has not engaged in targeted attacks against
Sinhalese intellectuals and activists. So, they
are uniquely placed to be able to criticise the
Tigers with impunity.

This would enable them to launch a blistering
attack on government policies without being
hypocritical or biased, and that is very much
needed at present. The whole notion that a war
against terrorists demands that the hands of the
government and its security forces should not be
tied by the requirement to respect human rights
and civil liberties should be torn to shreds. We
should argue the very opposite: that every
clamp-down on civil liberties which takes away an
avenue of non-violent protest forces people into
violence as the only path left open to them, and
every violation of human rights pushes more
recruits into the arms of the terrorists.

Many Tamil nationalists have not hesitated to get
foreign citizenship and give up the idea of
living anywhere in Sri Lanka, much less in the
North-East, whereas Rajan and Sri have not
settled down elsewhere, despite the fact that
their formidable academic qualifications would
easily enable them to do so. The reason is that
they still long to return to Sri Lanka, and
preferably to Jaffna. So, the best way to honour
them is to do whatever we can to make it possible
for them to realise their dream of coming home
safely.

http://emergency2007.blogspot.com/

AN EQUAL MUSIC

Salman Ahmad
December 11, 2007

The Chinese saying goes, 'May you live in
interesting times' and the past fortnight has
been nothing if not that. The accusatory e-mail
exchange between Bilal Musharraf and myself, has
been following a volatile trajectory in
cyberspace, sparking off an intense debate about
whether I was right or not to disassociate myself
publicly from Bilal's father, Pervez Musharraf.
When the destiny of millions of people is being
jeopardised by a flawed regime, personal
friendships have to take a backseat.

Artistes by nature represent a global civil
society. In Pakistan, as in much of the
subcontinent, this role is misunderstood by many
who think that dissent is reserved only for
political opposition, media pundits, human rights
activists and religious extremists. The people
who think that I'm jumping on the post-Emergency
Musharraf-bashing bandwagon should know that ever
since I can remember, Pakistani governments have
sought to muzzle artists and poets who express
dissent. The Pakistani poet, Faiz Ahmed Faiz,
wrote "Bol kay lab azad hain terey", but
Pakistani leaders' favourite artistes are those
who behave like court jesters rather than
informed citizens who have independent views on
politics and society. Throughout my career, I
have focused on entertainment blended with social
themes, expressed through music, poetry and
documentary films.

In today's hyper-connected world, where pop
culture drives politics, music fans and college
students confess that they no longer rely on
cable news networks or radio for their
socio-political news but are turning more toward
musicians, actors and celebrities to inform them
through Facebook, MySpace and YouTube. Today's
info-technology has empowered Pakistani civil
society and the world to participate in political
debate in ways that counter the State's desire to
censor independent voices. As a Pakistani, I'm
affected by the local and global concerns for
peace, justice and equality on our deeply
polarised planet.

As Pakistan plunges into an uncertain future, the
spotlight is focused Musharraf, and the
media-savvy former Prime Minister, Benazir
Bhutto. Bhutto's feudal and avaricious regime as
pm witnessed shocking levels of corruption. She
has managed to hoodwink Western liberals into
believing she represents the progressive Muslim,
while she still treats Pakistan as her fiefdom,
to be abused and exploited for personal gain and
power. Her regime was characterised by gangster
rules rather than the rule of law. Back in the
late 1990s, I recorded Ehtesaab (Accountability)
with a video that satirised corrupt Pakistani
politicians. Bhutto's government banned the video
and threatened me. That wasn't the first or the
last threat. Many Pakistanis have given in to
these terror tactics out of fear.

One of Musharraf's staunch allies is the MQM,
which took part in a massacre in Karachi on May
12. Forty people were killed for raising slogans
against the government and supporting the
Pakistani lawyers' movement for the restoration
to position of the twice-removed Chief Justice of
the Supreme Court, I.M. Chaudhry. A few years
ago, when I refused to perform at their exiled
leader Altaf Hussain's wedding, they threatened
me with dire consequences. When I discussed the
matter with lawyers, I was told that no court
would be strong enough to stand up to the MQM.
President Musharraf has turned a blind eye to
those who practise fascist politics and instead
has focused his energies on dismantling the
independence of the judiciary by arresting SC
judges who threatened to delegitimise his
presidency.

Like many of my generation, I had faith in
Musharraf's commitment to promote "enlightened
moderation" in Pakistan. We supported him because
he said that he would make politics accountable
and transparent, fight extremism, remove media
repression, and bridge the staggering chasm
between the rich and poor. Surely, it cannot be
labelled opportunistic if we are disenchanted
when he arbitrarily imposes emergency, bullies
the media and arrests opponents? His contempt of
civil institutions is a devastating betrayal of
his earlier promises. Right from January, I had
been telling people close to Musharraf that the
president should think about his legacy and bow
out gracefully. In August and September, these
communications included very candid e-mails to
Bilal whom I have known for over a decade. All
these concerns fell on deaf ears.

Ironically, the opening of the media and
televised political debate is something that
Musharraf can take credit for, but when the same
media started criticising his high-handed
tactics, he clamped down on it. The political
crisis in Pakistan represents the birth pangs of
a newly-empowered civil society yearning for the
rule of law. The recent struggles of lawyers,
judges, journalists, students and civil rights
activists should not be dumped into Pakistan's
long history of social apathy; instead, they need
to be nurtured by a return of the rule of law.
The reward could one day be a democratic Muslim
country at peace with itself and the world.
Religious extremists would be no match for a
united Pakistan.

I have dedicated my performance at the Nobel
Peace Prize Ceremony in Oslo to the Pakistan
lawyers' movement and civil society's peaceful
protests against Emergency and the restoration of
the deposed judges of the Supreme Court. Music so
often can be more powerful and far-reaching than
silence - or words.

Salman Ahmad is a member of the Pakistani rock band, Junoon.

Indian Express
December 12, 2007

VIOLENCE WITHIN, POLITICS WITHOUT
by Ajay K. Mehra

  Mahatma Gandhi once said: "I object to violence
because when it appears to do good, the good is
only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."
Those justifying the increasing social and
political violence in the country should ponder
over the 'permanent' damage that is being done to
Indian society.

Violence and its justification portentously
spills now into the social arena. Narendra Modi's
owning up the encounter killing of Sohrabuddin
Sheikh in response to Sonia Gandhi's description
of him as the 'maut ka saudagar' and seeking the
validation of such extra-judicial slaughter from
the crowd he was addressing, is not the only
instance of the justification of violence from
those running the machinery of the Indian state.
The BJP's damage control squad is defending Modi
by accusing the Congress and the colluding
secularists of doing worse.

The defence of Modi and his goons, both in and
out of the government, by all the NDA partners
after the 2002 riots has a parallel only in Rajiv
Gandhi explaining away the brutal 1984 anti-Sikh
riots as a tremor caused by the fall of a big
tree. Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee's 'paid back in
their own coin' justification of the brutal
reprisal by the party cadre in Nandigram against
the Bhumi Uchhed Pratirodh Samiti supporters
offends civilised ears despite his recent
apology. Worse, Prakash Karat virtually justified
Bhattacharjee, by pointing fingers at the
Congress for the Babri Masjid demolition. This
'your violence is worse than ours' and 'don't
blame us, you too have done the same, or worse'
rhetoric is creating a new raison d'être for
promoting and perpetuating violence in the social
arena.

We have lately had several examples of the thin
line between social and political violence being
smudged and its spill-over in the social domain.
An attack by the Guwahatians on a Santhal tribal
rally witnessed five being lynched, several
injured and a young girl being dragged, stripped
and chased. The tribals retaliated a couple of
days later. The Nandigram episode crossed all
civilised limits. The social sanction to the
dragging of a chain snatcher tied to a cop's bike
in Bhagalpur appeared to have triggered similar
incidents of vigilantism elsewhere in Bihar.
Earlier this year, an agitation by the Gurjjar
community for their inclusion in the ST category
met with violent reprisals by the Meena
community, leaving dozens dead. Taken together,
these various incidents represent an ominous
portent of an emerging Hobbesian society in India.

Ironically, despite the principal justification
of the state being to protect citizens and secure
their lives, the fundamental arm of the state
apparatus is force: in the language of Frantz
Fanon, 'the state is violence'. However,
constitutionalism, the rule of law, political
activism and civil society interventions minimise
the state's violent streak to a large degree. But
when the state machinery is used for competing
violence by the very actors who are supposed to
be buffers between state violence and the
society, the very principles and instruments that
are protection against violence are used to
support aggression. As it is, Indian society
inheres a variety of conflicting contestations
that could, and do, lead to violent clashes in
which the state is supposed to mediate. If the
state turns partisan in the hands of political
players, using the balance like the monkey
adjudicating between two cats clashing over a
piece of bread, we have a ready recipe for social
and political disaster.

Gandhi believed, 'Victory attained by violence is
tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.'
Political leaders and parties using and
justifying violence for electoral and political
gains are ignoring the defeat that is facing them
in the long run. Narendra Modi and his party
supporters in Delhi and elsewhere should be aware
of the Frankenstein they are creating by
inciting, supporting and perpetuating violence in
society. It may be easier to widen the existing
cleavages in the society than to bridge them; but
if this continues to be the trend it will soon be
impossible to bridge these cleavages, it will
become impossible to 'rule', let alone 'govern'
an atomised society at war with itself.

Despite all its limitations, civil society in
India is waging a heroic battle against such a
trend. But overcoming the contradictions will not
be easy. Those justifying their brand of violence
on one ideological ground or the other should
remember what Gandhi said on another occasion,
'What difference does it make to the dead, the
orphans and the homeless, whether the mad
destruction is wrought under the name of
totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or
democracy?'

The writer is director, Centre for Public Affairs, Noida drmehra at vsnl.com

Himal South Asian
December 2007

THE LIMITS OF VIOLENCE

The experience from Andhra Pradesh has shown, in
sharp profile, all that violence is capable of
achieving and taking away.

by  K Balagopal

India's Maoist movement is today the site of
multiple paradoxes. On the one hand, many groups
that would have unequivocally condemned the
movement a decade ago for its violent methods are
today increasingly prepared to see whether it has
anything of value to offer - keeping open the
question of violence. This change of heart has
largely been brought around by the extreme
insensitivity of the state - a change that
ideological persuasion long failed to achieve. On
the other hand, by increasingly relying on
violence, including more arbitrary forms of it,
the Maoist movement is receding farther and
farther from any meeting point with such
open-minded groups. In the era of neo-liberalism,
many activists are not objecting as vociferously
to violence in the 'interests' of the people as
they once did, given that the current global
socio-economic set-up is widely seen as an
instrument of visible and invisible violence, the
victims of which are the most vulnerable
communities. But nearly all would still insist
that the use of violent methods is nothing more
than an exceptional option. Here is where the
Maoists have yet to come around.

Andhra Pradesh offers a good case study of the
compulsions that underlie the choice of violent
methods of struggle, as well as the unpleasant
consequences of the decision to take up arms. The
Maoist movement owes its political character to
the vicissitudes of its unfolding in both Andhra
Pradesh and Bihar. But today, the movement is at
its lowest ebb ever in Andhra, pushed to the
corners of forest hideouts and into neighbouring
Orissa and Chhattisgarh. At the same time, the
movement is more prominently in the thoughts of
politically active people than at almost any time
in the past. Whether that interest can help the
movement to truly break the shackles of
repression, however, is a question that no close
observer can avoid posing.

Too frequently, the discussion of revolutionary
violence proceeds from the theoretical
formulation made by the Naxalite movement - the
stage of development of Indian society within the
Marxist-Leninist paradigm, under which armed
struggle is the only path to egalitarian
revolution. However, neither the Naxalbari
uprising nor any violent struggle undertaken by
the Naxalites thereafter arose purely from this
political belief. Instead, particular situations
on the ground always made the choice a real
possibility, and therefore made the theoretical
belief more persuasive. Dogmatists on either side
of the debate between violence and non-violence
rarely understand that the average human being is
simply not dogmatic in this particular issue.
Moral pragmatism, coupled with abhorrence of any
unnecessary or unjust use of violence, would
about sum up the common person's attitude. When
the very capacity for large-scale violence leads
the activist to ignore this attitude, a gap
develops - one that the activist will perforce
come to rue someday.

Sangham to dalam
In Andhra Pradesh, the Naxalite movement's
initial political dogmatism (usually blamed on
Charu Majumdar, though he was probably not the
only one to be blamed), which branded all mass
activity as 'un-revolutionary', gave way to an
important realisation. Even for the violent
overthrow of the state, there is still a need to
organise the people on their immediate social and
economic demands, while simultaneously educating
them about the preferred long-term strategy of
armed struggle.

Soon after the lifting of the State of Emergency
imposed by Indira Gandhi in 1975, there was a
mass upsurge in Karimnagar District, followed
quickly in the other Godavari basin districts of
Telangana. The communities that took part in this
action were the poorest and socially lowest in
the area, and they had organised around issues of
wage, land and social oppression, all intricately
linked with the larger issues of caste and
gender. The targets of the movement - landlords
as well as representatives of the state - knew
that the Naxalites were behind this process of
organisation, and also that the Naxalites
believed in violence. But the struggle itself was
by the unarmed poor, though of unprecedented
determination and confidence. A few landlords of
particularly vicious disposition were killed by
the Naxalite cadre, but these acts could only be
seen as 'supplementary' to the struggle of the
people, not as a substitute for that struggle.
The organisational centre was the agricultural
labourers union, or Raythu Coolie Sangham
(generally just known as the Sangham), and not
the underground armed squads, known as dalams.

The state came down most heavily during this
phase of the Naxalite movement, pointing to the
rebels' violence as justification. At that stage,
however, the violence was no more than what the
mainstream political parties themselves were
indulging in.

The difference here was that this was not
violence in the interest of the individual or
faction, but rather in the interest of the most
downtrodden communities. That should have put the
movement on a higher moral plane, but morality is
the last thing that dictates government policy,
then or now. In reality, the fear was palpable in
political circles that the rural socio-economic
structure - the intact preservation of which is
one of the fundamental compromises on which the
Indian polity is based - was in danger of being
irreparably shattered by the Naxalite movement.

The paradox is that this is what in the end did
happen, in spite of all of the state's
repression. As a mere idea, upsetting social
hierarchies is as potent as any actual
redistribution of property, and if the
redistribution could be halted by force, the idea
could not. It was unstoppable, and thus went
ahead. And it cannot be overstated that if the
downtrodden no longer feel downtrodden in
Telangana, the credit goes substantially to the
Naxalites. While it is sometimes said that the
commercialisation of the rural economy would have
had the same effect sooner or later, this is a
spurious line of argument, for two reasons.
First, few would suggest that no other force
would have been able to achieve the results
achieved by the Naxalite movement. Second, while
commercialisation may well have been able to put
an end to some of the more obnoxious forms of
social thought and relation, it would not have
engendered social consciousness of the type that
the Naxalite movement succeeded in sowing within
India's low social classes.

Escalation and breakdown
Rather than contemplating the might-have-beens of
history, let us look at what the Naxalite groups
did in response to state repression. The party,
known for a long time as People's War, decided on
retaliation without giving up mass struggle - in
theory, at any rate. In the meantime, the other
major party, known as the Chandra Pulla Reddy
group, decided on resistance based primarily on
the people, without giving up armed struggle. The
difference was in the emphasis on armed struggle
versus mass struggle. In the end, neither really
succeeded, though it could be said about the
People's War - now called the CPI (Maoist) - that
the jury is still out.

The state retaliation that started during
mid-1985 resulted in a spiral that is yet to
abate. Correspondingly, the dalam replaced the
Sangham as the organisational focus of the
struggle. Such a shift took place, for instance,
in Adilabad, which witnessed severe food
shortages. The early strategy of villagers
raiding shops and granaries and redistributing
the grain gave way to armed action by dalams, who
looted not just food, but also money, and
wantonly demolished households.

Similarly, in the place of struggles by the
people of the Sangham for higher wages, villages
started seeing wages go up because of threats by
the party, made visible through posters demanding
higher wages. Settlement of disputes by the party
in the presence of and with the participation of
the people was replaced by decisions by the dalam
in the presence of just a few villagers. Those
who disagreed with this process would stop going
to these 'people's courts', so eventually the
only audience at the adjudications would consist
of the party loyalists.

All of this was taking place amidst heavy state
repression: in 1992, the number of police
'encounter' killings crossed 200 for the first
time; after 1996, it was in a rare year in which
less than that number were killed. The People's
War was also killing in equal numbers, mostly
'informers' whose identification was wholly
subjective. In 1992, the People's War was banned,
as were its mass organisations. Police torture
became routine and increasingly vicious, while
massive amounts of funding outfitted the security
forces with sophisticated weaponry. The dalams
followed suit, acquiring equally sophisticated
weapons and becoming experts at various types of
mines and explosives. So many police jeeps were
blown up during this time - inevitably killing
untargeted individuals as well - that the police
eventually stopped using vehicles entirely in
Naxalite areas, preferring to move on foot.

The radical dimension
Generalised violence draws a shroud of silence
over events. It has the effect of shutting out
both critical thought and assertiveness, which is
fatal for the protection of human rights.
Initiative rests instead with those who hold the
guns, on whichever side they may be. Rebels who
employ violence systematically attribute their
decisions to 'the people', but the people in
truth have little say in the matter. Instead,
they become spectators to the political process,
a clear denial of an essential democratic right.
Those who agree with the rebels may well be
content - and, to the extent that the majority
agree with them, this contentment may appear
universal. But contentment is no substitute for
democracy, a fact that comes alive the day the
agreement ceases.

The effects that insurgencies have on children
have been widely discussed, but the ramifications
go far beyond the young. It is a paradox that
radical movements begin in response to pain and
suffering, but the spiral of violence and
counter-violence that accompanies such movements
and the resultant state response generates
considerable insensitivity, insecurity and fear.
One way or another, this tangle of emotions
almost inherently disallows respect for human
rights. Repressive laws and extralegal measures
undertaken by the state are promulgated on the
backs of images of brutal violence, which
likewise conjure feelings of growing insecurity.
In such a situation, few deign to look at what
exactly these repressive laws say or what exactly
these repressive practices mean for the people -
all the better for the state to spread a wide
net, one that catches much more than those images
of violence would seem to dictate.

Even the judiciary is not immune to the
temptation to play on these insecurities. A full
bench of the Andhra Pradesh High Court recently
rendered a judgement on fake encounters,
essentially warning that those who infringe on
the lives of others cannot ask for protection
against state agencies. This essentially means
that a 'terrorist' or 'extremist' can be shot
dead by the police due to the fact that he
himself, purportedly, does not hesitate to take
lives in pursuit of his aims. In less violent
times, such an inflammatory proposition would
have met with immediate public rejection; but in
the climate of fear created by frequent acts of
arbitrary violence, there is considerable
sympathy for such a dangerous, unprincipled
stance.

Those who follow strategies that include violence
can never be as careful as they may wish in their
use of that violence. They begin by targeting
only the enemies of the 'cause', but frequently
fall prey to the logic of terror: it is not
through the elimination of individual 'bad guys',
but rather through the creation of a climate of
fear in which enemies dare not function, that
most effectively establishes the radical's
dominion. 'Preventive violence', in which you
claim a right to retaliate even before an enemy
is fully formed, is not the brainchild of George
W Bush, but an assumption common to strategies of
violence of all kinds.

One of the more remarkable facts about Andhra
Pradesh is that radical politics has become such
a part of the common social consciousness, that
it has allowed for the easy proclamation of
'arbitrariness' as a justifiable form of
revolution. For a long time, the Maoists used to
apologise for the arbitrary use of guns. But in
more recent times, after their spread into
Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand, theirs is a much more
cavalier and trigger-happy conduct. These days,
the Maoists no longer apologise for arbitrary
acts of violence. Indeed, the analyses the rebels
publish on the Internet these days follow a
time-tested strategy: publicise instances of
state brutality; then sign off with the
suggestion that, under such circumstances, the
revolutionaries cannot be asked to be principled
in their use of violence.

The need to safeguard and secure the lives of
revolutionary fighters puts a premium on
suspicion as a political strategy, which is in
stark contrast to democratic mobilisation.
So-called informers, moles and covert operatives
are identified and ruthlessly killed, even when
there is little more than suspicion as
'evidence'. And since only the poor would have
information to give about a poor-people's
movement, it is inevitably the poor who get
killed in large numbers in the process.

Yet, again, the utter insensitivity of the state
authorities to popular opinions and aspirations
is continuing to impel many - who were hitherto
against violence altogether - to consider the
possibility that there may be some grain of truth
in what the Maoists have been saying all this
time. If this is to be the rope that helps the
Maoists hoist themselves up, however, the rebels
need to pay back the compliment by incorporating
common human scruples into their understanding of
violence: that it may be useful, at times even
unavoidable, but that violence should never set
the terms of political activity. And that the
invariably, inherently, destructive impact of
violence on democratic processes and practices
must set the strictest of limits for its use.

This article is an edited version of the
original, which is available with the author.

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007

EROSION OF DEMOCRATIC NORMS: A CASE OF MODI

by Ram Puniyani

Current Gujarat elections, irrespective of their
results, will remain etched in the memory of the
nation for wrong reasons. Gujarat witnessed the
burning of Sabarmati express at Godhra in Feb
2002. The carnage which followed this train
accident claimed the lives of thousands of
innocents and simultaneously polarized Gujarat
along religious lines. The process of
ghettotisation of Muslims and the fear of
minorities constructed in the minds of majority
community are staring in our face. At the same
time the threads of democratic nationalism,
national integration are breaking rapidly. While
various citizens? inquiry reports did point out
the pre planned nature of the pogrom and the role
of RSS combine led by Modi in the carnage, we
could all see the same for ourselves thanks to
the Tehelka. The consequent polarization led to
the victory of the leader of the carnage back to
power in the elections which took place a bit
later. In the elections of 2002, the main
opposition party, Congress did not gather
strength to take on Modi with full vigor. One of
the reasons was that Modi deflected the criticism
directed again him and against RSS combine as the
insult to 5 crore Gujartis, and his assertion was
well received in a section of society.

The Tehelka sting showed some of the perpetrators
boasting about their crimes in front of the
camera, and this made most of the people realize
once again the gravity of the crime. Now most of
the society got a direct feel of what had
happened, who did it. Society also registered
that the reports of citizens groups were on the
dot in pinpointing the malaise of Gujarat
society. It was in this background that Sonia
Gandhi in her election campaign called the Modi
led BJP as the merchants of death. Modi realized
that the truth is being said after all, and tried
to raise the communal and criminal sentiments by
justifying the extra judicial killing of
Sorabuddin, who was killed in a fake encounter by
the police.

The ploy was that since a section of society has
been communized enough, the illegal act of
killing someone will get him sympathy votes. He
took ?credit? for this ?bravery? of killing of
Soharabuddin and his wife. Human rights workers
raised the issue of Modi communalizing and
criminalizing the people?s mindset. And as is his
wont, he presented the criticism against him as
the insult of people of Gujarat, of Gujarat
itself!

Usual damage control exercises unrolled, he has
been quoted out of context, he does not justify
the extra judicial killings etc. But the damage
was done and election commission took a serous
note of it. The frail nature of legal mechanism,
as to how a democratically elected chief
minister, takes oath in the name of constitution,
than openly incites the public and tries to bask
in the ?glory? of this illegal act done by state
machinery, is there for all to see.

The larger issue of democratic norms, morality
and polity are put at the backburner, with the
leaders doing their electoral arithmetic of what
will help them more in getting the power. Now the
issue can be discussed at the level of legalities
and also at the level of electoral arithmetic.
All these do have their importance but one also
needs to be concerned about the deeper and
broader issues related to our constitution, as to
what is happening to the values of democracy
enshrined in our constitution?

In Gujarat the legal norms have been put aside in
matters of rehabilitation and in the post
violence justice. In ?regular? life patterns, now
a section of Muslims are willing to bend on their
knees to survive, willing to ?forgive?
unilaterally, while no body is caring to ask for
their forgiveness. The ?charisma? of Modi is on
the rise. He was keeping the communal card, under
wraps till the word Merchants of death was hurled
upon him. And then he unraveled his communal face
with full force just before the polling. All this
sounds so unusual but we are becoming used to the
prevalence of these things. Does it ring familiar
to something which happened in history? While
there are lot of differences from what happened
in Germany some similarities are too glaring.

The targeting of minorities, the total abolition
of democratic space, the social common sense
directed against the minorities and secularists,
and consensus built around the fascist state are
very similar. ?Kill them, kill them? is what Modi
could easily extract from the section of crowd
for Soharabuddin. What distinguishes Gujarat from
the Germany?s state of affairs in 30s and 40s of
last century is that here the process is taking
place at a slower pace and the same process is on
with different intensities in different states of
the country. So can we use the term Chronic
Fascism in Gujarat in contrast to acute fascism
of Germany. Whole of Germany was totally gripped
by this politics, while in India Gujarat is worst
but all the same in other states also this
fascism is strangulating democratic space, though
with different degrees of intensity. The biggest
similarity is the ?successes? of a fascist party,
which in Germany took the pretext of race and
here it is wearing the garb of religion.
Interestingly earlier and even now the fascist
parties are using the democratic space to come to
power, to precisely abolish the same in due
course.

During last two and a half decades the rise of
right wing politics has taken place on the
pretext of Hinduism, while it has nothing to do
with the humane streams of Hinduism. It claims to
be for Hindus, while majority of Hindus have
become victim of this intimidating politics. It
reflects the state of erosion of our democratic
norms and gradual strengthening of the forces
which do talk about democracy but are deeply
wedded to the RSS, the organization which is
opposed to democracy and wants to bring Hindu
nation. That the concept of Hindu nation is for
Hindus, is just a pretext. It essentially aims to
abolish the values of liberty equality and
fraternity and strengthens the hold of section of
Hindus, the elite, males, on the whole society.
The trick is the agenda of a small dominant
section of society has been propagated as being
for all Hindus.

Coming to Gujarat, one can clearly make out that
there is a slow but dangerous march towards a
fascist state. The classical fascism which one
witnessed in Germany and Italy in the early
decades of last century was marked by the
targeting of minorities, of social rights
groups/parties and at the same time doing away
with all democratic norms. It created a
terrorizing atmosphere, where the handful ruled
the roost with the charisma of leader like
Hitler, who swayed the people, worked and he got
the anti democratic things accepted by people in
the initial part of the rule, till Germany itself
collapsed under the weight of the fascist boots.
Such politics does discover and project a single
charismatic leader, in Germany it was Hitler, in
Gujarat it is Modi. Incidentally RSS nationalism
also took lot of inspiration from Hitler?s
Nationalism, ?German national pride has now
become the topic of the day. To keep up the
purity of nation and its culture, Germany shocked
the world by her purging the country of Semitic
races-The Jews. National pride at its highest has
been manifested here. Germany has also shown how
neigh impossible it is for races and cultures,
having differences going to the root, to be
assimilated into one united whole, a good lesson
for us in Hindustan to learn and profit by.? (We
or Our nationhood Defined,1938)

The politics of RSS combine has cleverly adopted
itself to the Indian situation and has gone on to
create a fear of the miniscule minority. It is
quite similar to Hitler creating a phobia against
Jews, holding them responsible for the plight of
Germany, and using that as the center of his
policies terrorizing the whole nation into
submission to the agenda of fascism, abolition of
the concept of rights, something which is the
life and breath of democracy, something which is
a shield for the average people to survive. While
a large section of Gujarat, Minorities, dalits,
adivasis and women are suffering the middle and
affluent classes are able to get their way
through the agenda of vibrant Gujarat!

The analogy does not end here. The terrorizing
atmosphere created in Gujarat does remind us of
the status of minorities. Now the large sections
of minorities feel that they have been relegated
to the second class citizenship status. Their
insecurity is the index of our democratic ethos.
It is correctly pointed out that if you want to
see the state of health of democracy, have a look
at the status of its minorities!

--
Issues in Secular Politics
December 2007 II

The Telegraph, Calcutta.
December 11, 2007

READING THE TEA LEAVES
- The understanding of tribal status must be rid of colonial errors

by Sanjib Baruah

After the mayhem in Guwahati around the adivasi
rally of November 24, the government of Assam is
reportedly considering legislation that would
restrict the public display of bows and arrows
and other 'traditional' weapons.

That a group that provided the muscle for the
19th-century capitalist transformation of Assam
today finds the bow and arrow to be an attractive
ethnic symbol is rather interesting. So is its
preferred self-description as adivasis, in sharp
contrast to the English term 'tribe' preferred by
most other groups that have legal recognition as
scheduled tribes in northeast India.

The adivasis of Assam trace their roots to Munda,
Oraon, Santhal and other people of the Jharkhand
region. They are descendants of indentured
labourers brought to the tea plantations of
Assam. Adivasi activists argue that since their
ethnic kin in their places of origin are
recognized as STs, they should have the same
status in Assam.

According to some estimates, there are as many as
4 million adivasis in Assam - more than half of
Assam's tea labour community. They constitute the
majority of the tea labour community in Lower
Assam, but other groups outnumber them in Upper
Assam. If ST status is about whether a group
deserves reservations in jobs and in educational
institutions, the case for adivasis being
recognized as STs is indisputable.

A study on the tea labour community by the North
Eastern Social Research Centre found that 60 per
cent of the girls and 35 per cent of the boys in
the age group of 6 to 14 are out of school, and
only 4 per cent study beyond class VII. Tea
plantations are still the major sources of
employment: half of them live near plantations
and work as casual labourers.

Many adivasis were displaced during the Bodoland
agitation because they or their forefathers had
settled in reserved forest lands after giving
their working lives to tea plantations. Since
their villages were not legal settlements, the
government did not facilitate their return to
their homes even after the Bodo movement ended.

Political mobilization of a community in support
of a demand for inclusion on a schedule that
would entitle them to preferences is not
surprising. Yet the demand of the tea workers'
descendants for ST status, and the framework
within which the debate is being conducted, draw
attention to our continued reliance on a highly
questionable stock of colonial knowledge about
Indian society and culture. This should be a
source of embarrassment, as well as cause for
serious introspection.

The tribal affairs minister, P.R. Kyndiah, a
politician from the Khasi community, recognized
as a scheduled tribe, says without any sense of
irony that ST status for adivasis would involve
examining the case using the criteria of "tribal
characteristics, including a primitive background
and distinctive cultures and traditions".

Ethnic activists opposed to the adivasi claim
cite with approval the statement of the home
minister, Shivraj Patil, that the adivasis have
"lost their tribal characteristics". They also
argue that the adivasis are not "aborigines of
Assam". Since STs of Assam are not treated as STs
in other parts of the country and even Bodos are
not recognized as STs in Karbi Anglong, says a
leader of an indigenous tribal organization,
migrant communities cannot be recognized as STs
in Assam.

The argument points to a peculiarity of ST status
in northeast India that goes back to British
colonial thinking about race, caste and tribe in
this region. However, whether migrants should be
considered ST or not, given the contribution of
the tea labour community in blood and in sweat to
the formation of modern Assam, no other group has
a better claim to full citizenship rights and
compensatory justice than they do.

Colonial ethnography relied on racist notions of
tribes having fixed habitats and ethnic traits
that are almost biological and even inheritable.
In northeast India, the so-called 'hill tribes'
were thus all fixed to their supposed natural
habitats. Therefore, it became necessary to
distinguish between so-called pure and impure
types to account for those that stray away from
the assigned physical spaces, or do not conform
to particular ethnic stereotypes.

The distinction between plains tribes and hill
tribes can be traced to this difficulty of
colonial ethnic classification. As the
anthropologist, Matthew Rich, has shown, the
relatively egalitarian mores and habits of many
of the peoples of northeast India - for instance,
the absence of caste in the hills - presented a
'problem' for colonial ethnographers.
Since India for them was a hierarchical and a
'caste ridden' civilization, the question was:
were these people outside or inside India? There
was no easy answer, since many of the ethnic kin
of the people without caste also performed
Hindu-like rituals just a short distance away.

The opposition between hills and plains became
the solution to this conceptual 'problem'. It is
this history that explains why a number of groups
that today seek ST or sixth schedule status were
distinguished sharply from 'hill tribes' in the
colonial classificatory system. For instance, the
Koch Rajbongshis were labelled caste Hindus and
not a 'tribe', and the Bodos were labelled a
'plains tribe'.

Tea workers posed a classificatory problem for
the census as early as in 1891. The "aboriginal
tribes of central India" were explicitly excluded
from the "forest and hill tribes" in the census
of Assam, and instead were classified simply as
labourers.

Colonial knowledge continues to shape categories
of Indian census. Thus of the 23 STs in Assam, 14
are hill tribes and 9 are plains tribes. Since
the census counts tribes only in their supposed
natural habitats, it produces the absurdity of
the number of people classified as plains tribals
being zero in the hills, and those classified as
hill tribals being zero in the plains. This is
the source of the complaint of Bodo activists
that Bodos are not a scheduled tribe in Karbi
Anglong, which is a hill district. Thus, if one
goes by the Indian census, the number of hill
tribals living even in metropolitan Guwahati is
zero.

The discourse surrounding the adivasi claim to ST
status underscores a major structural dilemma for
our practice of citizenship. The effect of making
indigenousness the test for rights, says the
African intellectual, Mahmood Mamdani, in another
context, is that the state penalizes those that
the commodity economy dynamizes.

Seen through the prism of the global political
economy, the adivasis of Assam are part of the
same 19th-century migration that took Indian
labourers to plantations in various parts of the
British Empire, such as Fiji, Guyana, Mauritius
or South Africa.

We now celebrate the Indian diaspora. The Pravasi
Bharatiya Divas honours descendants of those
migrants to far-away shores, some of whom rose to
become presidents and prime ministers of their
countries. But the descendants of those who
remained within India's borders are reduced to
defending their ordinary citizenship rights, and
making claims to compensatory justice, with a
borrowed idiom of remembered tribal-ness.

It is time to rethink our image of northeast
India as remote and exotic, and recognize that
the region was incorporated into the global
capitalist economy earlier and more solidly than
many parts of the Indian heartland. The basis for
making claims to rights and entitlements in such
a region must be common residence and a vision of
a common future, and not only a real or imagined
shared past.

The genocide in Rwanda was ultimately the product
of the Hutu and Tutsi being constructed as native
and outsider, thanks to the legacy of colonial
knowledge embedded in African political
institutions. This should serve as a warning
against trying to manage conflicts in northeast
India by simply tinkering with institutions such
as the sixth schedule and ST status that have
ample traces of colonial knowledge built into
them.

The author is at the Centre for Policy Research,
New Delhi and the Indian Institute of Technology,
Guwahati.

______

[7] BOOK REVIEW

Economic & Political Weekly
December 1, 2007

BOOK BANNING
by A G Noorani

The Constitution guarantees the freedom of
expression, but on the statutes are provisions
which empower the central and state governments
to ban and seize books on unconstitutional
grounds and to even launch criminal proceedings.

Diet for Art's Sake: Book on Trial from Madame
Bovary to Lolita by Elizabeth Ladenson; Cornell
University Press; pp 272, $  29.95.

Book banning is a civilised form of the vice of
book-burning which is a sure symptom of fascism.
India has a formidable record of book banning. As
with much else, independent India simply took
over the habits of the British raj. In 1976, at
the height of the Emergency, Manohar Publishers
reprinted in India, to their great credit, N
Gerald Barrier's formidable book Banned:
Controversial Literature and Political Control in
India 1907-47  based on a thorough research in
the archives in India and Britain. It cove red
books relating to "religious controversy",
"nationalist, secular politics" and "patriotic
poetry and songs", it provided a guide to banned
literature and indicated to the reader where to
find the collections of banned literature in
India and in Britain. Some, like the Report of
the Kanpur Riots Inquiry (1931), have been
reprinted after independence.

The raj did not confer fundamental rights on its
subjects. The Constitution of India recognises
that citizens are entitled to such rights. Books
are banned by recourse to two statutes. One
method is to prevent their import from outside;
another is to confiscate books published or sold
here. Section 11(1) of the Customs Act, 1962
reads:

If the central government is satisfied that it is
necessary so to do for any of the purposes
specified in subsection (2), it may, by
notification in the official gazette, prohibit
either absolutely or subject to such conditions
(to be fulfilled before or after clearance) as
may be  specified in the notification, the import
or export of goods of any specified description.

Subsection (2) says:

The purposes referred to in subsection
(1)	are the  following: (a) the maintenance
of the security of India; (b) the maintenance of
public order and standards of decency or
morality; ...(t) the prevention of dissemination
of documents containing any matter which is
likely to prejudicially affect  friendly
relations with any foreign state or is derogatory
to national prestige; (u) the prevention of the
contravention of any law for the time being in
force; and (v) any other purpose conducive to the
interests of the general public.

This provision is patently unconstitutional for
three reasons. First, the grounds go far beyond
those mentioned in Article 19(2) of the
Constitution on which alone the fundamental right
to freedom of speech and expression may validly
be restricted. Neither "national prestige" nor
"the interests of the general public" figure
there. As the Supreme Court pointed out in the
Sakal Papers Case (1962), this precious right
"cannot, like the freedom to carry on business,
be curtailed in the interests of the general
public".

Secondly, Article 19(2) says that the
restrictions must be "reasonable". The court has
ruled repeatedly that a provision which confers
unfettered power or which does not provide for
appeal to an independent body is unreasonable.
Section 128 of the Act provides for appeal from
Caesar to Caesar; from the collector to the board
of revenue and from an official of lower rank to
the appellate collector of customs. Thirdly, it
is manifestly unreasonable that even after its
clearance, the book's circulation should de- pend
on the will  of the customs.

The other method is to use Section 95 of the
Criminal  Procedure Code, 1973 a faithful replica
of its ancestor S 99-G of 1898. It empowers the
state government to declare "forefeited to the
government" any newspaper, document or book
which, in its opinion, offends against the
following provisionS of the penal  code; namely,
S 124-A ("sedition"), S 153-A (promoting ill will
"between different...groups" based on religion,
language, caste, etc), S 153-B (imputing
disloyalty to the country to any such group); S
292 (obscene literature);
S 293 (sale of obscene literature to the young);
or S 295-A (insult to religious feelings of any
group of citizens with "deliberate and malicious
intention of outraging the religious feelings" of
that class).

S 153-A and 295-A are commonly abused for political ends. S 153-A comes in only
when ill will is aroused between different
communities. S 295-A applies when a particular
group is insulted, (a) by  outraging its
"religious" feelings, and (b) the insult is
"deliberate or malicious". It has no application
if a historical figure is criticised, however,
unfairly, even if it arouses emotions in the
region. Besides, it applies only to "insult" to
religious fee lings and by a "deliberate and
malicious acts".

But state governments freely invoke S  295-A to
ban scholarly works to quell agitations,
sometimes invoking S 153-A as well for that job.
On the other hand, S 153-A is  never seriously
used to silence Bal Thackeray or the hate mongers
of the RSS and the BJP.

S 95 of the criminal procedure code provides a
safeguard. In the notification forfeiting the
book the state govern- ment must state "the
grounds of its opinion".  Bare assertion will not
do. S 96 enables "any person having any interest"
in the forefeited book to apply to the high court
to quash the order. Such an application must be
heard by a special bench of at least three
judges. The word "interest" should cover the
reader as well.

This proceeding is one form of trial of a book.
The other is in a criminal prosecution under the
penal code before a magistrate or sessions judge.
We abolished juries long ago. In 1965 the Supreme
Court upheld the conviction of a bookseller for
being in possession of Lady Chatterly's Lover
(Ranjit D Udeshi vs State of Maharashtra AIR 1965
S C 881). The court's ruling in the Bandit Queen
case (Bobby Art International vs Om Pal Singh
Hoon (1996) 4 SCC  1), upholding depiction of
frontal nudity in a movie, gives ground for hope
that the 1965 ruling will be  reversed. It is
absurdly illiberal.

The labours of Elizabeth Ladenson, of the
Columbia University, will be of immense help in
mounting such a challenge. Her narrative starts
from Madame Bovary, for which Flaubert was tried
in France in 1857, and ends with Fanny Hill
written in the 18th century but put on trial in
the United States in 1966. Trials concerning
novels like Tropic of Cancer, Lolita, Lady
Chatterly's Lover and the works of Marquis'de
Sade are also covered. They were trials by jury.
She also discusses movie adaptations of the
novels. It is much more than a legal problem. Not
surprisingly, lawyers innocent of anything
besides the law find them- selves out of their
depths. It is simply a matter of literacy.

In England, Penguin Books published the novel in
1960. A prosecution was launched. It failed
miserably. The defence had waived its claim to an
all-male jury.

The author's comments on the proceedings are instructive:

While artistic merit was a major component of the
defence, it was Lawrence's place in 20th century
literature in general that provided the main
justification in aesthetic terms. The novel
itself was characterised on the basis of its
moral value. This was, certainly, in strict
keeping  with all other such arguments over the
course of at least a century, perfectly
reasonable and accurate in terms of the author's
evident intent, and at the same time some- what
disconcerting when one considers that it had
originally been not merely banned as immoral but
described as, for instance, 'the most evil
outpouring that has ever besmirched the
literature of our country'. The witnesses all
testified to the moral seriousness of the book
and its social and even educational merit,
insisting on Lawrence's great importance as an
author, while also observing that Lady Chatterly
was  not his best effort. It was an impressive
line-up, including, as mentioned earlier, not
only E M Forster but Dame Rebecca West, among
other literary figures.

The trial proved a trailblazer. Obscenity,
defined in archaic terms, fell into disrepute in
the west. It lingered in India.

The main question this book tries to answer is,
how does an "obscene" book become a "classic"?
Its main attempt at an answer is that over the
course of roughly a century, from the mid-19th
century to the 1960s, Two ideas which had already
been circulating for sometime in the form of
avant-garde heresy, gradually became accepted
clichés, and then grounds for legal defence. The
first is most  conveniently encapsulated in the
formula 'art for art's sake' the notion that a
work of art functions on its own terms, exists in
a calm independent of conventional morality, and
should  therefore be exempt from the strictures
of moral judgment. The second is that of
'realism'. The idea that the function of the work
of art may legitimately include, and perhaps
should even  obligatorily take on, the
representation of all aspects of life, including
the more unpleasant and sordid.  Both these ideas
now seem obvious, but they were unmentionable for
a very long time.  The cases analysed in detail
in the book show how outdated are the notions of
obscenity in India.

______

[8] Announcements:

'Live with Talat' – Karachi Press Club, Wednesday, Dec 12, 6.00-8.00
pm.

The People's Resistance in collaboration with the
Karachi Union of  Journalists and the Karachi
Press Club is organizing 'Live with  Talat',
featuring the banned Aaj television hosts Talat
Hussain along
with Nusrat Javeed and Mushtaq Minhas of Bolta Pakistan.
Confirmed guests include: Justice (r) Wajihuddin
Ahmed, Justice (r) Fakhruddin G. Ebrahim,
President Sindh High Court Bar Association
Justice (r) Rasheed Rizvi and advocate Noor Naz
Agha, along with
People's Resistance representative Noman Qadir.
Free and open to the public. Seating arrangement
- 'farshi' (bring  your own cushion).

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/