SACW | Sept. 23-24, 2007

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Sep 24 03:06:16 CDT 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire | September 23-24, 2007
| Dispatch No. 2452 - Year 10 running

[1] Sri Lanka: Militarism or a political solution (editorial, The Island)
[2] India - Gujarat: Minorities Under Attack:
Sangh Prepares for the Coming Elections
[3] India: Who's to judge the judges? - Scandal In The Palace  (Arundhati Roy)
[4] India: Sethusamudram Canal: An Expensive Voyage? (Jacob John)
[5] Announcements:
(i) Book release : To Make the Deaf Hear -
Ideology and Programme of Bhagat Singh and his
Comrades by S. Irfan Habib
(New Delhi, 26 September 2007)
(ii) Commemoration 100th birth anniversary of
Bhagat Singh  (Bonsor, 28 September, 2007)
(iii) Films for Distribution - Magic Lantern Foundation

The Island

Editorial

MILITARISM OR A POLITICAL SOLUTION

Feting the naval personnel who had destroyed
three LTTE sea vessels, Defence Secretary
Gotabhaya Rajapakse has said that the
implementation of a political solution won't be
possible until the LTTE is crushed militarily. He
made this shocking statement in the presence of
his brother President Mahinda Rajapaksa. We must
therefore assume that this is the official
Government line. Only a few days earlier, Mahinda
Rajapaksa, in an interview with the India media,
had acknowledged that the Tamils had genuine
grievances and reiterated his commitment to a
political solution based on the APRC proposals.
But, we have totally contradictory statements by
members of this Government, depending on the
nature of the audience. So, we are never sure
what the government's official policy is - if
there is one.

If the Government is committed to a political
solution, one cannot understand why it has to
await the defeat of the LTTE. If a consensus
political solution acceptable to major Sinhala,
Tamil and Muslim parties is offered to the
country, there can be no doubt that it will be
accepted at a country-wide referendum resulting
in the marginalization of both the LTTE and the
chauvinist elements among the Sinhalese. But, if,
on the other hand, the Tamils and Muslims are to
continue enduring the present militarism in the
North and East, it will be extremely difficult to
sell any political package to the minorities,
even if we assume that it is possible for this
Government to come up with a meaningful package.
Tamil civilians will then be inclined to support
the LTTE, if the LTTE decides to go underground
and resume guerrilla warfare in areas under
government control.

Whatever the government may say, it is clear that
in the East the Karuna group continues to enjoy
Government patronage. Old habits die hard! The
Karuna Group continues to employ the same tactics
as their erstwhile colleagues by intimidating and
eliminating anyone who challenges them. It is a
short-term self-defeatist policy to go along with
terrorism to defeat terrorism.

Constitutional Proposals

Prof. Tissa Vitarana has been saddled with the
unenviable task of formulating and presenting a
proposal acceptable to one and all. He is placed
in the same predicament as his former senior
party colleague who was responsible for drafting
the 1972 Constitution. Colvin R de Silva pandered
to Sinhala nationalism and helped sow the seeds
of Tamil militancy. Vitarana seems to have done
better in getting agreement on many issues. But,
he needs to stand his ground, even in the face of
Presidential pressure, and stick to the document
he has already proposed and released. Trying to
appease nationalist elements within the
Government will destroy all the good work that he
has done so far. Coming up with proposals that
are unlikely to be acceptable to the minorities
and the major parties is the recipe for the
perpetuation of the war. Dr. Sumansiri Liyanage
and a number of Tamil and Muslim liberals have
urged, this week, that words like 'unitary' and
'federal' must be avoided. These are emotive
words in our context and no consensus will be
possible so long as they find themselves in a
draft solution. The minorities want power-sharing
which will not be taken away at some future date.
The Sinhala nationalists fear a separatist move
in the future. Both parties can reach middle
ground if the words such as 'unitary' are avoided
and safeguards to prevent secession are written
into the Constitution. UNP MP and former minister
K. N. Choksy has proposed the term 'Union of
Regions' for the proposed 2000 Constitution. The
SLFP readily agreed to this. Vitarana's draft
proposals go on to a more detailed definition of
a united Sri Lanka. He avoids using any emotive
word and strikes a balance between minority needs
and majority fears.

His proposals are, therefore, commendable and
they have won broad acceptance. It is understood
that there is agreement on nearly all the
substantive issues. It will be disaster if the
proposals are scuttled by the Sinhala
nationalists just by the irrational insistence on
the use of the word 'unitary'. But for this the
Governments must make its intentions clear. Do
they or don't they want a political solution that
will achieve consensus and help marginalise the
extremists? The first mistake the government made
was to exclude the TNA from the APRC. Were they
seeking to bring about conditions conducive to a
political settlement or was the APRC a mere
dilatory tactic? And when the experts' panel of
the APRC made its recommendations, strong
indications were given that the Government
preferred to go along with the three-man minority
report. But, pressure from various quarters has
changed the Presidential stance. The unit of
devolution will remain the Province. But will he
also change his stance on the use of the term
'unitary'?

Elections in the East

It is becoming clearer that we are not going to
have any fair election in the East. The Karuna
Group is having a free rein in the East, thanks
to Government patronage. No Tamil party is going
to field candidates let alone contest an
election. Anyone who comes forward will have to
do so at the risk of being physically eliminated,
just the way politicians suffered at the hands of
the LTTE during elections in Jaffna. TULF
President V. Anandasangaree was kept under
virtual house arrest by the LTTE. The EPDP had to
go around with military escorts. There is bound
to be a similar situation in the East, should
there be an election. The EPDP has already
suffered assassinations as a warning that they
have no right to be present in the East.

Given the fact that the Karuna Group enjoys
government patronage, other Tamil groups like the
EPDP cannot expect the kind of protection they
have in Jaffna.

It will, therefore be, in the long term, totally
counter-productive to have an election at this
stage. Those elected will owe their positions to
Karuna and with their new found political status,
they will certainly prove difficult to handle in
the longer term. The Government must realise that
hasty attempts to defeat the 'enemy' by promoting
counter-terrorism will prove self-defeating as
experience suggests.

______

[2] India: Gujarat

http://tinyurl.com/2ffr8r

MINORITIES UNDER ATTACK: SANGH PREPARES FOR THE COMING ELECTIONS

After receiving distress calls for help from
members of the Muslim community from various
villages of Surat district a team rushed there.
Yusuf Shaikh, President All India Quami Mahaz and
Convener, Samajik Nyay Kendra, Dushyantbhai S.
Somabhai Unjakar from Samajik Nyay Kendra, Baroda
and Shabnam Hashmi, a social activists from
Anhad, Delhi and member of the National
Integration Council visited the following places:
Village Hathoda, Village Velaccha, Village
Kosamba, Village Navi Kosadi, Village Kosadi and
Kim Char Rasta.

This report is based on the visit of the team to
various affected villages and other areas and
interviews with the victims and other villagers
of these areas. There are a number of other
villages which have been attacked but we could
not visit all of them.

Background: For the last few months, violence has
been constantly taking place against minorities
in Gujarat especially in the districts of
Vadodara and Surat. In July 2007, an attack was
organized against the Muslim community living in
Kosamba. The Gau Rakshak Suraksha Samiti has been
at the forefront of these attacks. Detailed Fact
Finding report of Kosamba attack attached

Village Kosadi:

On 18th around 11am approximately 20 goons led by
Jasu Darbar reached Kasodi. Jasu Darbar -a local
bad element and also the Vice President of the
Gau Rakshak Suraksha Samiti, Mangrol was
regularly visiting the village for over 6 months
and harassing the people especially the butchers
and he used to extract 'hafta' from them to allow
them to continue their business.

On 18th under the pretext of inspecting and
looking for a lost calf of some local tribal he
entered the village along with 20 goons in two
cars and 5 motorcycles. They reached the very end
of the village near the crematorium. The whole
group started abusing the local Muslims and
threatened to burn the houses of local villagers.
The local residents asked him to go back with his
group and not to create a situation which will
lead to tension in the village. Jasu Darbar took
out swords from his car and soon an altercation
started. The local people also brought wooden
sticks for their protection. Most of the people
who had accompanied Jasu darbar fled from the
scene leaving their 5 motorcycles and two cars
there and Jasu was surrounded by the local people
and beaten up with sticks.

The village Deputy Sarpanch called the Mamlatdar
and they put an injured Jasu Darbar in a vehicle
to take him to hospital. He collapsed on the way.

Following this the Police arrived and entered the
mosque where Muslims were praying and took away
about 25 people on the pretext of taking their
statements and till this report is filed no one
knows where they are kept. The local people
talked to the police a number of times asking
them to arrest the culprits and punish them but
release the innocents but to no avail.

We met the Sarpanch Laxman bhai Chotubhai Vasava
and the Deputy Sarpanch Hasin Ismailji bhai and a
number of local people who had gathered as our
team arrived there.

Laxmanbhai Vasava and Hasinbhai informed us that
there are about 1000 families and half of them
are from the minority community, the others
Adivasis, Lohar and Dalits. There has been no
communal problems in the village between the
communities.

Following this the Gau Raksha Suraksha Samiti and
various units of the Sangh- VHP, Bajrand Dal etc
organised attacks on a number of nearby villages
and systematic attacks, looting and burning of
property and businesses and terrorizing of
Muslims by the Police and goons is taking place
for since September 18, 2007. Constant phone
calls are coming from different parts as we write
and file this report:

Visit to Hatoda, Kosamba and Velachcha

1. Velachcha: Destroyed- 22 Muslim houses, 3
shops , 2 motorbikes- started at Time: 5.15pm

22 houses have been totally gutted. When we
visited Valechcha on 19th September, 2007 the
smoke was still coming out of the houses. There
was nothing left in the houses. The families fled
from the village.

The police was present and the fire brigade trying to douse the fire.

The victims whom we met in Hatoda told us that
the attack on these houses took place in the
presence of the Police and at that point there
was enough police and could have stopped the
attackers. Instead the attackers after reaching
the spot spoke to the police and the police went
and stood hundred meters away in front of the
local school in Velachcha, while the attackers
used petrol and kerosene to burn the houses. The
fire brigades arrived too late to save any
belongings.

Men, women, small children fled from the houses
to save lives, hid for a few hours in jungles,
then walked through the night and only on 19 th
morning at 5.30am some of them reached Hathoda- a
Muslim dominated village, some reached Kosamba
and some were still missing. Most of them had
left without chappals or slippers and they
reached with thorns all over their feet in
bruised state.

The families have lost everything except a set of
clothes that they were wearing. The local
residents of Hatoda village are looking after the
families.

The government has made no arrangement for any
relief. We spoke to the DSP on the phone. He
refused to file their FIRs as he said police has
already filed the FIR. In fact the DSP told us
that we are disturbing the peace in the district.
Later when the paralegal team of the Centre for
Social Justice team after documenting individual
cases went to the police station, he again
refused to file any FIR.

Those whose houses were burnt:

Bazar Vistar Padar- 3 houses

1. Ismail Yakub
2. Manubibi
3. Sairabibi Shaikh

Masjid Mohalla

1. Shaikh Usmanmian Gulzarmian
2. Irfankhan Pathan
3. Mehranbibi Gulzarmian Shaikh
4. Hanifmian Gulzarmian Shaikh
5. Salimmian Gulzarmian Shaikh
6. Gulammian Rehmanmian
7. Hydermian Rehmanmian
8. Jabbarmohd Rehman Shaikh
9. Chotumian rehmanmian
10. Shabbibmian Gulzarmian
11. Bikhanmian Amirmian
12. Amirmian Rasulmian
13. Usmanmian Gulzarmian
14. Shaikh MOhd Noormian
15. Mian Mohd Hydermian
16. Mohd Aslam Ghulam Nabi Shaikh
17. Rafikmian Hydermain
18. Fatimabibi Mohdmian Shaikh
19. Farookmian Bambayya ( Chelliya)
20. Ahmad Mohd Shaikh

Shops:

1. Cycle and Cutlery:
2. Chicken shop
3. xx

Those who attacked, burnt and looted the houses:

Attackers who came from Tarsadi village

1. Kishore Singh Kosada
2. Dayabhai Rabari
3. Jango Rabari
4. Chetan ( Raj Mobile shopwala)
5. Mohan Rabari
6. Kalu Chotalia
7. Jaideep Gabbar
8. Guddu Bhaiya

Attackers from the Velachha village

1. Dharmendra Singh Chauhan
2. Chandra Singh Chauhan Urf Umesh Arvind tailor
3. UdaySinh Ramsinh Chauhan
4. Hareshbhai Jeevanbhai Prajapati
5. Naveenbhai Hiralal Shah
6. Ghemalsinh Chauhan
7. Chattrasinh Gambhirsinh Chauhan
8. Pankaj Panchal
9. Dinesh Sukha Koli Patel ( tempowala)
10. Bharat kalidas Adivasi ( rikshawwala)
11. Haresh Mulji Makwana
12. Samir Sawawala

Visit to Mosali village and Mosali Char Rasta

Jasu Darbar's body was brought for postmortem to
referral hospital situated in Mosali around 4pm.
About 150 people from outside the village had
gathered at the hospitals. Most of them were on
motorcycles.

After coming out of the hospital they attacked
the Muslim shops which were near the hospital and
then they went on a looting and burning spree
across the village.

According to the eye witnesses the Police was
though out present and did not take any step to
stop the looting and burning.

Names of victims whose shops were burnt and
looted (we could not meet some of the victims, so
there shop names are mentioned instead of their
names:

1. Ibrahim Panchbhaiya
2. Ayub Panchbhaiya
3. Umar -Radio Service
4. Lucky cloth store
5. Rashid bhai- Shan Footware
6. Kasimbhai Khalifa- Takdeer hair Art
7. Fatimaben Farook- Tailor House
8. Steel furniture-recently opened
9. Pan Centre shop- Musabhai Bobat
10. Hashimbhai- Paras Watch Centre
11. Tea Stall- Sureshbhai Vasava
12. we saw three more burnt shops but could not get the names of the owners.

Most of the shop owners were able to fled in time
and were not physically attacked but a young shop
owner Rashidbhai who was inside the shop after
putting the shutter down was badly beaten up. The
attackers opened the shutter, Rashidbhai ran to
the first floor of the shop, he was dragged down
and severely beaten up. The Gau Rakshak Suraksha
Samiti members looted from Rashibhai's shop- a
laptop, mobile phone and 60,000 cash. His
motorcycle Honda was burnt down.

We spoke to a large number of local residents
from the majority community who had gathered
there. They told us that both the communities
lived together peacefully and there has been no
history of communal tension between the, they ate
together, celebrated together different
festivals. The attackers they sad had all come
from outside.

Mosali Char Rasta

After attacking and burning the shops inside the
village the mob moved outside and reached the
Mosali Char Rasta. The mob used stones and bricks
to break open the locks of the shops and looted
and burnt down the shops:

1. provision store- owner-Shuaib Mohd Patel- totally burnt down
2. hotel- cold drinks-safari telecentre- 40 crates looted, partially burnt
3. auto part shop- super auto garage
4. biku auto parts garage- owner-yakub ibrahim biku- totally burnt down
5. hotel vasraiwala-owner- ibrahim
tadwala-dhabha- From this shop it is interesting
to note that the members of the Gau Rakshak
Suraksha samiti looted -two cylinders, one
chulha, a sack of Potatoes , sack of onion, oil
and wheat floor.- Partially burnt

On the Char Rasta the following was burnt too:

truck burnt- owner- Yusuf Musaji Ugraddar- GRV 7602

Jeep- Manjulaben

Jeep-belongs to Mehmood Shaiklh's wife

There were 12 policemen present throughout this
period when the shops were being burnt. According
to the eye witnesses they did not take any steps
to stop the attackers.

Nava Kasodi

On our way to Kasodi we had briefly stopped at
Nava Kasodi and met some of the victims from
different places who had taken refuge there.

Abdul Kada's bike was burnt in Vadoli, his house attacked, glasses broken

Those who attacked included:

Bhalabhai Darbar, pradeepbhai, sukhabhai,
rajubhai, shambhubhai, ( sarpanh), jitubhai,
vikram, rakesh, arun, bhupendra, babubhai, haresh.

Kim Char Rasta

We received several calls from the Kim Char Rasta
as it was being attacked while we were visiting
other villages.

As we reached the Kim Char Rasta we saw 5
motorcycles on the main Char Rasta which were
recently burnt. Smoke was coming out and a stench
of rubber being burnt was in the atmosphere.

We had visited several calls from the mosque so we went to the Madani mosque.

Prakash Manjra LCB constable and PI Rabari along
with approximately 25 policemen stormed the
mosque with rifles and wearing shoes. Because of
the month of Ramzan there were a lot of people
resting in the hall of the mosque. It was around
1.15pm. The policemen immediately started
breaking the glasses and mercilessly beat up many
people who were inside the mosque. When we
reached the mosque it was littered with broken
glasses and there were blood stains all over the
mosque floor. It was evident that people were
attacked in every corner of the mosque. We were
told that many people, young and old were
mercilessly beaten up on their thighs, on their
shoulders and all over the body with rifle butts.

The police then picked up around 15 people and
took them away. It is only now after 24 hours
that we have been able to find out that they have
been taken to a place near Navi Pardi in galore
police quarters. One of the boys Arshad was
beaten up in custody and his condition is very
critical; sources have informed us today on phone.

Places we could not visit

Kemraj Char Rasta- mosque attacked, Asarma village- attacked

Demands

1. Immediate arrest of culprits - the members of
the Gau Rakshak Suraksha Samiti and other
hoodlums who attacked the villages.

2. The people responsible for attacking Jasu
Darbar should be apprehended and innocent people
released immediately.

3. Release of innocent people arrested from the mosques.

4. Open Relief Camp and provide relief urgently
to the victims who have lost their houses.

5. Suspend DSP Jha responsible for the safety of
the citizens of his area and other lower rank
officers, who were present at the spot but did
not do anything to stop the attackers.

6. Suspend PI Pardi and Prakash Manjra LCB constable.

Outlook Magazine
October 1, 2007

Who's to judge the judges?: Justice Y.K. Sabharwal

SCANDAL IN THE PALACE
Judges in India are divine beings. And if you're
an ex-CJI, your sins are above mortal reproach.

by Arundhati Roy

Scandals can be fun. Especially those that knock
preachers from their pulpits and flick halos off
saintly heads. But some scandals can be corrosive
and more damaging for the scandalised than the
scandalee. Right now we're in the midst of one
such.

At its epicentre is Y.K. Sabharwal, former Chief
Justice of India, who until recently headed the
most powerful institution in this country-the
Supreme Court. When there's a scandal about a
former chief justice and his tenure in office,
it's a little difficult to surgically excise the
man and spare the institution.

	But then commenting adversely on the
institution can lead you straight to a prison
cell as some of us have learned to our cost. It's
like having to take the wolf and the chicken and
the sack of grain across the river, one by one.
The river's high and the boat's leaking. Wish me
luck.

The higher judiciary, the Supreme Court in
particular, doesn't just uphold the law, it
micromanages our lives. Its judgements range
through matters great and small. It decides
what's good for the environment and what isn't,
whether dams should be built, rivers linked,
mountains moved, forests felled. It decides what
our cities should look like and who has the right
to live in them. It decides whether slums should
be cleared, streets widened, shops sealed,
whether strikes should be allowed, industries
should be shut down, relocated or privatised. It
decides what goes into school textbooks, what
sort of fuel should be used in public transport
and schedules of fines for traffic offences.
It decides what colour the lights on judges' cars
should be (red) and whether they should blink or
not (they should). It has become the premier
arbiter of public policy in this country that
likes to market itself as the World's Largest
Democracy.

Ironically, judicial activism first rode in on a
tide of popular discontent with politicians and
their venal ways. Around 1980, the courts opened
their doors to ordinary citizens and people's
movements seeking justice for underprivileged and
marginalised people. This was the beginning of
the era of Public Interest Litigation, a brief
window of hope and real expectation. While Public
Interest Litigation gave people access to courts,
it also did the opposite. It gave courts access
to people and to issues that had been outside the
judiciary's sphere of influence so far. So it
could be argued that it was Public Interest
Litigation that made the courts as powerful as
they are. Over the last 15 years or so, through a
series of significant judgements, the judiciary
has dramatically enhanced the scope of its own
authority.

Investigate Sabharwal L-R: Arvind Kejriwal, Swami
Agnivesh, Shanti Bhushan and Prashant Bhushan at
a press meet

Today, as neo-liberalism sinks its teeth deeper
into our lives and imagination, as millions of
people are being pauperised and dispossessed in
order to keep India's Tryst with Destiny (the
unHindu 10% rate of growth), the State has to
resort to elaborate methods to contain growing
unrest. One of its techniques is to invoke what
the middle and upper classes fondly call the Rule
of Law. The Rule of Law is a precept that is
distinct and can often be far removed from the
principle of justice. The Rule of Law is a phrase
that derives its meaning from the context in
which it operates. It depends on what the laws
are and who they're designed to protect. For
instance, from the early '90s, we have seen the
systematic dismantling of laws that protect
workers' rights and the fundamental rights of
ordinary people (the right to
shelter/health/education/water).

International financial institutions like the
imf, the World Bank and the adb demand these not
just as a precondition, but as a condition, set
down in black and white, before they agree to
sanction loans. (The polite term for it is
structural adjustment. ) What does the Rule of
Law mean in a situation like this? Howard Zinn,
author of A People's History of the United
States, puts it beautifully: "The Rule of Law
does not do away with unequal distribution of
wealth and power, but reinforces that inequality
with the authority of law. It allocates wealth
and poverty in such indirect and complicated ways
as to leave the victim bewildered."

[Photo:] Papa's the best judge: Justice
Sabharwal's sons were running their businesses
out of his 'official' Motilal Nehru Marg house

As it becomes more and more complicated for
elected governments to be seen to be making
unpopular decisions (decisions, for example, that
displace millions of people from their villages,
from their cities, from their jobs), it has
increasingly fallen to the courts to make these
decisions, to uphold the Rule of Law.

The expansion of judicial powers has not been
accompanied by an increase in its accountability.
Far from it. The judiciary has managed to foil
every attempt to put in place any system of
checks and balances that other institutions in
democracies are usually bound by.
It has opposed the suggestion by the Committee
for Judicial Accountability that an independent
disciplinary body be created to look into matters
of judicial misconduct. It has decreed that an
fir cannot be registered against a sitting judge
without the consent of the chief justice (which
has never ever been given). It has so far
successfully insulated itself against the Right
to Information Act. The most effective weapon in
its arsenal is, of course, the Contempt of Court
Act which makes it a criminal offence to do or
say anything that "scandalises" or "lowers the
authority" of the court. Though the act is framed
in arcane language more suited to medieval ideas
of feminine modesty, it actually arms the
judiciary with formidable, arbitrary powers to
silence its critics and to imprison anyone who
asks uncomfortable questions.
Small wonder then that the media pulls up short
when it comes to reporting issues of judicial
corruption and uncovering the scandals that must
rock through our courtrooms on a daily basis.
There are not many journalists who are willing to
risk a long criminal trial and a prison sentence.

Until recently, under the Law of Contempt, even
truth was not considered a valid defence. So
suppose, for instance, we had prima facie
evidence that a judge has assaulted or raped
someone, or accepted a bribe in return for a
favourable judgement, it would be a criminal
offence to make the evidence public because that
would "scandalise or tend to scandalise" or
"lower or tend to lower" the authority of the
court.

Yes, things have changed, but only a little. Last
year, Parliament amended the Contempt of Court
Act so that truth becomes a valid defence in a
contempt of court charge. But in most cases (such
as in the case of the Sabharwal...er... shall we
say "affair") in order to prove something it
would have to be investigated. But obviously when
you ask for an investigation you have to state
your case, and when you state your case you will
be imputing dishonourable motives to a judge for
which you can be convicted for contempt. So:
Nothing can be proved unless it is investigated
and nothing can be investigated unless it has
been proved.

The only practical option that's on offer is for us to think Pure Thoughts.

For example:

     a. Judges in India are divine beings.

     b. Decency, wholesomeness, morality,
transparency and integrity are encrypted in their
DNA.

     c. This is proved by the fact that no judge
in the history of our Republic has ever been
impeached or disciplined in any way.

d. Jai Judiciary, Jai Hind.

It all becomes a bit puzzling when ex-chief
justices like Justice S.P. Bharucha go about
making public statements about widespread
corruption in the judiciary. Perhaps we should
wear ear plugs on these
occasions or chant a mantra.

It may hurt our pride and curb our free spirits
to admit it, but the fact is that we live in a
sort of judicial dictatorship. And now there's a
scandal in the Palace.

Last year (2006) was a hard year for people in
Delhi. The Supreme Court passed a series of
orders that changed the face of the city, a city
that has over the years expanded organically,
extra-legally, haphazardly. A division bench
headed by Y.K. Sabharwal, chief justice at the
time, ordered the sealing of thousands of shops,
houses and commercial complexes that housed what
the court called 'illegal' businesses that had
been functioning, in some cases for decades, out
of residential areas in violation of the old
master plan.

It's true that, according to the designated
land-use in the old master plan, these businesses
were non-conforming. But the municipal
authorities in charge of implementing the plan
had developed only about a quarter of the
commercial areas they were supposed to. So they
looked away while people made their own
arrangements (and put their lives' savings into
them.) Then suddenly Delhi became the capital
city of the new emerging Superpower. It had to be
dressed up to look the part. The easiest way was
to invoke the Rule of Law.

The sealing affected the lives and livelihoods of
tens of thousands of people. The city burned.
There were protests, there was rioting. The Rapid
Action Force was called in. Dismayed by the
seething rage and despair of the people, the
Delhi government beseeched the court to
reconsider its decision. It submitted a new 2021
Master Plan which allowed mixed land-use and
commercial activity in several areas that had
until now been designated 'residential'. Justice
Sabharwal remained unmoved. The bench he headed
ordered the sealing to continue.

Vasant Kunj Mall: When Rule of Law winked and looked away

Around the same time, another bench of the
Supreme Court ordered the demolition of Nangla
Macchi and other jhuggi colonies, which left
hundreds of thousands homeless, living on top of
the debris of their broken homes, in the
scorching summer sun. Yet another bench ordered
the removal of all "unlicensed" vendors from the
city's streets. Even as Delhi was being purged of
its poor, a new kind of city was springing up
around us. A glittering city of air-conditioned
corporate malls and multiplexes where mncs
showcased their newest products. The better-off
amongst those whose shops and offices had been
sealed queued up for space in these malls. Prices
shot up. The mall business boomed, it was the
newest game in town. Some of these malls,
mini-cities in themselves, were also illegal
constructions and did not have the requisite
permissions.

But here the Supreme Court viewed their
misdemeanours through a different lens. The Rule
of Law winked and went off for a tea break. In
its judgement on the writ petition against the
Vasant Kunj Mall dated October 17, 2006 (in which
it allowed the construction of the mall to go
right ahead), Justices Arijit Pasayat and S.H.
Kapadia said:

     "Had such parties inkling of an idea that
such clearances were not obtained by DDA, they
would not have invested such huge sums of money.

     The stand that wherever constructions have
been made unauthorisedly demolition is the only
option cannot apply to the present cases, more
particularly, when they unlike, where some
private individuals or private limited companies
or firms being allotted to have made
contraventions, are corporate bodies and
institutions and the question of their having
indulged in any malpractices in getting the
approval or sanction does not arise."

It's a bit complicated, I know.

	A friend and I sat down and translated it
into ordinary English. Basically,

a. Even though in this present case the
construction may be unauthorised and may not have
the proper clearances, huge amounts of money have
been invested and demolition is not
the only option.

b. Unlike private individuals or private limited
companies who have been allotted land and may
have flouted the law, these allottees are
corporate bodies and institutions and there is no
question of their having indulged in any
malpractice in order to get sanctions or approval.

The question of corporate bodies having indulged
in malpractice in getting approval or sanction
does not arise. So says the Indian Supreme Court.
What should we say to those shrill hysterical
people protesting out there on the streets,
accusing the court of being an outpost of the New
Corporate Empire? Shall we shout them down? Shall
we say 'Enron zindabad'? 'Bechtel, Halliburton
zindabad'? 'Tata, Birla, Mittals, Reliance,
Vedanta, Alcan zindabad'? 'Coca-Cola aage badho,
hum tumhaare saath hain'?

This then was the ideological climate in the
Supreme Court at the time the Sabharwal "affair"
took place.
It's important to make it clear that Justice
Sabharwal's orders were not substantially
different or ideologically at loggerheads with
the orders of other judges who have not been
touched by scandal and whose personal integrity
is not in question. But the ideological bias of a
judge is quite a different matter from the
personal motivations and conflict of interest
that could have informed Justice Sabharwal's
orders. That is the substance of this story.

In his final statement to the media before he
retired in January 2007, Justice Sabharwal said
that the decision to implement the sealing in
Delhi was the most difficult decision he had made
during his tenure as chief justice. Perhaps it
was. Tough Love can't be easy.

In May 2007, the Delhi edition of the evening
paper Mid Day published detailed investigative
stories (and a cartoon) alleging serious judicial
misconduct on the part of Justice Sabharwal. The
articles are available on the internet. The
charges Mid Day made have subsequently been
corroborated by the Committee for Judicial
Accountability, an organisation that counts
senior lawyers, retired judges, professors,
journalists and activists as its patrons. The
charges in brief are:

1. That Y.K. Sabharwal's sons Chetan and Nitin
had three companies: Pawan Impex, Sabs Exports
and Sug Exports whose registered offices were
initially at their family home in 3/81, Punjabi
Bagh, and were then shifted to their father's
official residence at 6, Motilal Nehru Marg.

2. That while he was a judge in the Supreme Court
but before he became chief justice, he called for
and dealt with the sealing of commercial
properties case in Delhi. (This was impropriety.
Only the chief justice is empowered to call for
cases that are pending before a different bench.)
.

3. The Midday journalists have been held for
contempt. Why? For an imagined insult to unnamed
judges!

	That at exactly this time, Justice
Sabharwal's sons went into partnership with two
major mall and commercial complex developers,
Purshottam Bagheria (of the fashionable Square 1
Mall fame) and Kabul Chawla of Business Park Town
Planners (BPTP) Ltd. That as a result
of Justice Sabharwal's sealing orders, people
were forced to move their shops and businesses to
malls and commercial complexes, which pushed up
prices, thereby benefiting Justice Sabharwal's
sons and their partners financially and
materially.

4. That the Union Bank gave a Rs 28 crore loan to
Pawan Impex on collateral security which turned
out to be non-existent. (Justice Sabharwal says
his sons' companies had credit facilities of up
to Rs 75 crore.)

5. That because of obvious conflict of interest,
he should have recused himself from hearing the
sealing case (instead of doing the
opposite-calling the case to himself.)

6. That a number of industrial and commercial
plots of land in Noida were allotted to his sons'
companies at throwaway prices by the Mulayam
Singh/ Amar Singh government while Justice
Sabharwal was the sitting judge on the case of
the Amar Singh phone tapes (in which he issued an
order restricting their publication.)

7. That his sons bought a house in Maharani Bagh
for Rs 15.46 crore. The source of this money is
unexplained. In the deeds they have put down
their father's name as Yogesh Kumar
(uncharacteristic coyness for boys who don't mind
running their businesses out of their judge
father's official residence.)

All these charges are backed by what looks like
watertight, unimpeachable documentation.
Registration deeds, documents from the Union
ministry of company affairs, certificates of
incorporation of the various companies, published
lists of shareholders, notices declaring
increased share capital in Nitin and Chetan's
companies, notices from the Income Tax department
and a CD of recorded phone conversations between
the investigating journalist and the judge
himself.

These documents seem to indicate that while Delhi
burned, while thousands of shops and businesses
were sealed and their owners and employees
deprived of their livelihood, Justice Sabharwal's
sons and their partners were raking in the bucks.
They read like an instruction manual for how the
New India works.

When the story became public, another retired
chief justice, J.S. Verma, appeared on India
Tonight, Karan Thapar's interview show on CNBC.

He brought all the prudence and caution of a
former judge to bear on what he said: "...if it
is true, this is the height of
impropriety...every one who holds any public
office is ultimately accountable in democracy to
the people, therefore, the people have right to
know how they are functioning, and higher is the
office that you hold, greater is the
accountability...." Justice Verma went on to say
that if the facts were correct, it would
constitute a clear case of conflict of interest
and that Justice Sabharwal's orders on the
sealing case must be set aside and the case heard
all over again.

This is the heart of the matter. This is what
makes this scandal such a corrosive one. Hundreds
of thousands of lives have been devastated. If it
is true that the judgement that caused this
stands vitiated, then amends must be made.

Sealing fates: Is it Enron zindabad, to hell with the poor?

But are the facts correct?

Scandals about powerful and well-known people can
be, and often are, malicious, motivated and
untrue. God knows that judges make mortal
enemies-after all, in each case they adjudicate
there is a winner and a loser. There's little
doubt that Justice Y.K. Sabharwal would have made
his fair share of enemies. If I were him, and if
I really had nothing to hide, I would actually
welcome an investigation. In fact, I would beg
the chief justice to set up a commission of
inquiry. I would make it a point to go after
those who had fabricated evidence against me and
made all these outrageous allegations.

What I certainly wouldn't do is to make things
worse by writing an ineffective, sappy defence of
myself which doesn't address the allegations and
doesn't convince anyone (Times of India,
September 2, 2007).

Equally, if I were the sitting chief justice or
anybody else who claims to be genuinely
interested in 'upholding the dignity' of the
court (fortunately this is not my line of work),
I would know that to shovel the dirt under the
carpet at this late stage, or to try and silence
or intimidate the whistle-blowers, is
counter-productive. It wouldn't take me very long
to work out that if I didn't order an inquiry and
order it quickly, what started out as a scandal
about a particular individual could quickly
burgeon into a scandal about the entire judiciary.

But, of course, not everybody sees it that way.

Days after Mid Day went public with its
allegations, the Delhi high court issued suo motu
notice charging the editor, the resident editor,
the publisher and the cartoonist of Mid Day with
Contempt of Court. Three months later, on
September 11, 2007, it passed an order holding
them guilty of criminal Contempt of Court. They
have been summoned for sentencing on September 21.

What was Mid Day's crime? An unusual display of
courage? The high court order makes absolutely no
comment on the factual accuracy of the
allegations that Mid Day levelled against Justice
Sabharwal. Instead, in an extraordinary, almost
yogic manoeuvre, it makes out that the real
targets of the Mid Day article were the judges
sitting with Justice Sabharwal on the division
bench, judges who are still in service (and
therefore imputing motives to them constitutes
Criminal Contempt): "We find the manner in which
the entire incidence has been projected appears
as if the Supreme Court permitted itself to be
led into fulfilling an ulterior motive of one of
its members.

The nature of the revelations and the context in
which they appear, though purporting to single
out former Chief Justice of India, tarnishes the
image of the Supreme Court. It tends to erode the
confidence of the general public in the
institution itself. The Supreme Court sits in
divisions and every order is of a bench. By
imputing motive to its presiding member
automatically sends a signal that the other
members were dummies or were party to fulfil the
ulterior design."

Nowhere in the Mid Day articles has any other
judge been so much as mentioned. So the
journalists are in the dock for an imagined
insult. What this means is that if there are
several judges sitting on a bench and you have
proof that one of them has given an opinion or an
order based on corrupt considerations or is
judging a case in which he or she has a clear
conflict of interest, it's not enough. You don't
have a case unless you can prove that all of them
are corrupt or that all of them have a conflict
of interest and all of them have left a trail of
evidence in their wake. Actually, even this is
not enough. You must also be able to state your
case without casting any aspersions whatsoever on
the court. (Purely for the sake of argument: What
if two judges on a bench decide to take turns to
be corrupt? What would we do then?)

So now we're saddled with a whole new school of
thought on Contempt of Court: Fevered
interpretations of imagined insults against
unnamed judges. Phew! We're in La-la Land.

In most other countries, the definition of
Criminal Contempt of Court is limited to anything
that threatens to be a clear and present danger
to the administration of justice. This business
of "scandalising" and "lowering the authority" of
the court is an absurd, dangerous form of
censorship and an insult to our collective
intelligence.

The journalists who broke the story in Mid Day
have done an important and courageous thing. Some
newspapers acting in solidarity have followed up
the story. A number of people have come together
and made a public statement further bolstering
that support. There is an online petition asking
for a criminal investigation. If either the
government or the courts do not order a credible
investigation into the scandal, then a group of
senior lawyers and former judges will hold a
public tribunal and examine the evidence that is
placed before them. It's all happening. The lid
is off, and about time too.

Economic and Political Weekly
July 21, 2007

SETHUSAMUDRAM CANAL: AN EXPENSIVE VOYAGE?

The economic viability of the Sethusamudram Canal
rests on weak grounds, for the savings in time
for ships travelling from the east to west coasts
are not as large as advertised and some shipping
companies may even find the tariffs too expensive
to make it worth switching from the current
shipping lanes.

by Jacob John

http://www.epw.org.in/uploads/articles/10823.pdf

______

[5] ANNOUNCEMENTS:

(i)

Director, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library
and
Three Essays Collective

cordially invite you to the release of the book

To Make the Deaf Hear
Ideology and Programme of Bhagat Singh and his Comrades

by
Dr. S. Irfan Habib
NISTADS, New Delhi
on
Wednesday, 26 September 2007
at
6.00 P.M.
in the Auditorium, Library Building
Teen Murti House, New Delhi

Prof. Romila Thapar
Professor Emeritus, JNU
will release the book

Prof. Mridula Mukherjee
Director, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library
will chair

Main Speakers:
Prof. K.N. Panikkar, Eminent Historian
Shri Jagmohan Singh, Nephew of Shaheed Bhagat Singh

RSVP
23015333,23010666			Tea: 7pm

---

(ii)

With great pride and humbleness in our hearts, we
invite you to the commemoration of the 100th
birth anniversary of Shaheed (Martyr) Bhagat Singh

" Revolution is an inalienable right of mankind.
Freedom is an imperishable birth right of all." -
Bhagat Singh

Friday September 28th, 2007 at 6:30 pm
Bonsor Community Centre, 6550 Bonsor
(right next to Metrotown Skytrain Station - behind the Bay Store)
Entrance by donation (pay what you can)

  The evening will be in Punjabi/Urdu/Hindi/English and include film,
shayari/poetry, talks, readings of Bhagat Singh’s writing, plus a photo
exhibit hosted by the Indo-Canadian Workers Association.

All across South Asia and amongst South Asian diaspora, September 28th
2007 is being honoured as the 100th birth anniversary of one of South
Asia’s most well-known freedom fighter's Bhagat Singh.

Bhagat Singh joined the Quit India movement in 1921 and over the years,
became a cofounder and leader of the Naujavan Bharat Sabha and Samajvadi
Prajatantra Sangha. He was hung at the age of 24; and although portrayed
by the British as a terrorist for engaging in acts of armed resistance,
Bhagat Singh became a legend, symbolizing courage, bravery, and
revolution. As he said : "The war neither began with us nor is it going to
end with our lives. It is easy to kill individuals but you cannot kill the
ideas." His martyrdom prompted an entire generation of youth to continue
the fight for independence.

This event will mark the legacy of Bhagat Singh as well the relevance of
his ideas and actions today as the people of South Asia are caught in the
crosshairs of US interventions, the World Bank and IMF, corporate
globalization, militarization, and crushing levels of poverty and
inequality.

We hope you will join us.

Organized by Radical Desi Youth.
Supported by: Bulland Awaaz on Co-op Radio, Chetna Dalit Association,
Indo-Canadian Workers Association, Komagata Maru Heritage Foundation,
Punjabi Artists Association Richmond, Siraat Collective, South Asian
Network for Secularism and Democracy, Watan Magazine

For more information call 778 885 0040 or email harjap at gmail.com

---

(iii)

Dear Friends,
I am delighted to announce that the contract that Under Construction draws
up with filmmakers is now non-exclusive. Under Construction is Magic Lantern
Foundation's initiative for distributing independent films. You can find
details of this initiative on our website www.magiclanternfoundation.org in
the page marked: Films for Distribution.

I also take this opportunity to welcome filmmakers - Indian and foreign - to
talk to us about distributing your films. Please don't respond to this list
though but write to Priyanka Mukherjee at
<underconstruction at magiclanternfoundation.org>

For those who don't know us, we follow a simple system. We draw up a
contract, take a master, run copies, and sell either VCD or DVD copies. We
retain 35% of the revenue towards our costs and remit 65% to the filmmakers
as royalty. We remit royalties every quarter. Filmmakers can choose how long
they want to give us the film for and the territories they want us to work
in. Filmmakers also jointly decide with us the price of copies.

We also have a another system in place for those who don't want to formalise
the relation and prefer to give us copies to sell. In this case we remit 80%
as royalty to the filmmakers. However, these films retain their original
identity (cover etc) and also sales only takes place at the events like film
festivals or mass meetings where we create a 'sale opportunity' and not
through the internet or through using retailers as re-sellers.

Nevertheless, we have filmmakers who use both systems,  even though the
former is more popular.

We also have foreign filmmaker's films in distribution. However, for them
the territory is restricted to either the territorial borders of India or at
most South Asia.

The Indian filmmakers can choose any  - India, South Asia, Asia, World.

Royalty payment to foreign filmmakers is still a little problem as banks
take a huge chunk off as transferring costs. (Also foreigners have to pay
tax deducted at source even if 1 Rupee is generated, and the  percentage of
tax is guided by the Double-Taxation Treaty that the Government of India has
signed with the nation the filmmaker belongs to.) So rather than follow a
quarterly system we pay once a year or when at least the equivalent of 100
dollars have accumulated, whichever is earlier.

I won't go into more details now but I welcome anyone who is interested to
talk to Priyanka.

However before writing off I want to add one important detail. Before taking
films on for distribution we preview and select and not all films are taken
on. This is because to us the initiative is for creating space, for creating
political space for a different sort of dialogue and using films to assist
that discourse - nevertheless our definition of politics is broad as well as
nuanced as the eclectic collection of films on our website will demonstrate.
So this is a non-commercial, non-broadcast distribution for education aimed
at connecting films to audience and thereby expanding as well as creating an
audience base for independent films.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Warmly,
Gargi Sen
Magic Lantern Foundation
J 1881 Chittaranjan Park, Basement, New Delhi 110019
P: +91 11 41605239 and 26273244
E: magiclantern.foundation at gmail.com/ magiclf at vsnl.com
W: http://www.magiclanternfoundation.org

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/