SACW | April 25-26, 2007 | Wishing away the Poor / 1857 / Religion Market / Multiculturalism Fraud

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Apr 25 21:55:06 CDT 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire  | April 25-26, 2007 | Dispatch No. 2394 - Year 9

[1]   Pakistan: Subject: Wishing away poverty, or the poor? (Zubeida Mustafa)
[2]   India: Adjust kar lenge: The new SEZ policy? (Aseem Shrivastava)
[3]   India: Economic reforms made me completely Marxist' (Mani Shankar Aiyar)
[4]   India: Santa Claus visits the Tatas (Ashok Mitra)
[5]   Genealogies of Globalisation: Unpacking the
'Universal' History of Capital  (Aditya Nigam)
[6]   India - 1857: Invisible history (Nayanjot Lahiri)
[7]   Commercialization of religion must end (S Irfan Habib)
[8]   Foreign-funding and sedition allegations
against NBA Countered (NBA Press Release)
[9]   Multiculturalism Kills Me  (Vijay Prashad)
____

[1]

Dawn
April 25, 2007

WHAT HURTS IS THE RICH-POOR DIVIDE
by Zubeida Mustafa

POVERTY, an area of profound concern for
economists in the Third World, has acquired
enormous political connotations. It has come to
be used as the yardstick to measure the
performance of a government. It is therefore not
surprising that policymakers make exaggerated
claims about poverty reduction.

The Musharraf government is no exception. Prime
Minister Shaukat Aziz insists that the ratio of
those living below the poverty line in Pakistan
has come down in five years from 34.46 per cent
in 2000-01 to 23.9 per cent in 2004-05.

Yet we have the critics lamenting the high cost
of living. According to them, incomes have not
risen proportionately. Hence the common man is in
dire straits as he struggles to make two ends
meet.

Who is correct? It really depends on one's
perception. When seen through the eyes of an
economist, the picture of poverty is quite
different - even rosy - from how an
anthropologist sees it. The economist studies
poverty through statistics which are by their
very nature biased in favour of the formal
sector. Anthropologists, on the other hand, view
poverty as a relative phenomenon in a
contextualised way against the backdrop of the
distribution of wealth in society.

Obviously the anthropologist's is the more
realistic and human approach since bare
statistics miss out the human dimension. This was
most graphically and conclusively pointed out by
Prof Jan Breman of the Amsterdam School of Social
Science Research in a talk arranged by PILER in
Karachi. The author of several books on labour,
peasants and workers in the Third World, Prof
Breman has seen poverty from close quarters as a
social scientist.

Having carried out field research in Gujarat
(India) and Java (Indonesia) over a period of 45
years, he certainly is in a better position to
assess the pangs of hunger and the pain of
disease suffered by the poor than the economists
sitting before their computers in their ivory
towers.

The topic of Prof Breman's thought provoking
lecture summed up his underlying thesis. He spoke
on "Wishing away poverty, or the poor?" One key
figure missing from the audience that evening was
Mr Shaukat Aziz, who is the current architect of
Pakistan's economic policy. He would have
benefited immensely from the lecture.

Speaking about Gujarat - and that is equally true
about Pakistan - Prof Breman pointed out that he
found a little improvement in some aspects of the
living conditions of the agricultural labour when
he returned 25 years later to the village he had
studied earlier. The village now had a school and
a health centre. Housing had changed and quite a
few people were living in concrete houses. But
the economic and social gap between the rich and
the poor had increased. The poor felt they could
not get any poorer. He used the term
"pauperisation" to describe the state of the
poorest of the poor when a person loses control
over his life and lives in a stupor since he has
no choices to exercise.

This is what is happening to the poor in Pakistan
whose number is growing, Statistics do not tell
the true story and can be deceptive. The fact is
that the absolute number of poor is on the rise.

Today there are nearly 40 million people - on the
basis of official percentages - who can be
described as pauperised. In 1990, there were 29
million absolute poor as stated in government
documents. What is worse is that the gap between
the rich and the poor - the bane of poverty - is
also growing and this is reflected in official
statistics.

The State Bank Report 2005-06 tells us that the
income inequality as presented by the Gini
coefficient and the ratio of the highest 20 per
cent to the lowest 20 per cent has widened during
2001-05. The Gini coefficient has gone up from
0.2752 to 02976 in the corresponding

period. The ratio of the richest and the poorest
has increased from 3.76 to 4.15.

What should be a cause for serious concern is
that the social impact of poverty and deprivation
on the poor is extremely degrading. They rob the
poor of their self esteem. When concurrent with
poverty is the growing gap between the haves and
the have nots, one has the perfect recipe for
discontent, anger and alienation born of an acute
sense of injustice.

The worst part is that the poor lose the will for
collective action since they feel helpless and
unable to change the situation. That also
explains why they cannot register their anger and
discontent in spite of their massive numbers.

It has been established by studies conducted by
sociologists that a community where poverty is
equally distributed tends to be more socially
adjusted and in better physical health than a
community that is cumulatively wealthy but with
its wealth unequally divided.

Hence Dr Breman is more perturbed by the unequal
distribution of wealth and the existing
disparities rather than the fact of poverty
itself. Besides when the cake is large and the
slices are relatively equal in size even the
smallest slice is not too small and can be
filling enough to keep a person quite satisfied.
He pointed out that there were people in his own
country who were poorer than others but because
their basic needs are met and the gulf between
the rich and the poor is not so wide, the low
income classes are not as badly off as the
economically disadvantaged in Pakistan.

The millennium development goal calls for the
halving of poverty by the year 2015. But such
statistical targets, even if they are achieved,
will not improve the lot of the poorest of the
poor. The issue that really needs to be addressed
primarily is that of the disparity of wealth
between the various sections of society.

When the poor live alongside the rich - see the
shanty towns that creep up to the boundary walls
of the palaces of the rich in our cities - the
psycho-social, economic and political
repercussions of this phenomenon are devastating,
more so when the rich are used to ostentatious
living and flaunting their wealth.

_______

[2]

InfoChange News & Features, April 2007

ADJUST KAR LENGE: THE NEW SEZ POLICY?

by Aseem Shrivastava

What do the latest changes in the Special Economic Zones policy mean?

The cataclysmic events at Nandigram on March 14 -
in which no one still knows how many people were
killed, how many raped, how many are still
missing - led to the scrapping of the 10,000-acre
SEZ for the Indonesian Selim Group and the CPM's
hasty retreat from the area.

Most importantly, the central government was
forced back to the drawing board. It came out
with some not insignificant changes in policy.

What are they? There is a ceiling of 5,000
hectares (12,500 acres) put on an SEZ. There was
no cap earlier. Much more significantly, state
governments can no longer acquire land for an SEZ
on behalf of private developers. In other words,
though the government stopped short of spelling
this out in so many words, no recourse is going
to be taken to the Land Acquisition Act of 1894.
It is also left unspecified whether SEZs are to
be treated as a "public utility" nonetheless,
exempting them from the full operation of the
Industrial Disputes Act (which gives workers
various bargaining rights).

Nor can state governments form joint ventures
with private developers if they do not already
have land in hand to offer the project. States
can also acquire land to develop SEZs on their
own, provided they stick to the new relief and
rehabilitation package to be announced soon.

Moreover, at least 50% of the total area in an
SEZ is to be earmarked for processing units.
Earlier, the norm was 35% for multi-product SEZs.
SEZs will also have tougher export norms to
meet-instead of being merely net foreign exchange
earners, they will have to have export earnings
at least equal to their purchases from the
domestic tariff area.
These were the major changes announced.

If actually implemented, the changes are
significant. For instance, the new policy implies
that private developers will have to deal
directly with farmers and landowners to acquire
SEZ land. There will be a free market in land for
once, without interference from the state. In a
country like India, where the acquisition of
large chunks of contiguous land in a farmed area
is complicated by the number of different owners
the acquiring company has to deal with, the
transaction costs for the  company are
substantial. (Of course no such problem would
arise if government invited the private sector to
purchase degraded land, but who wants to spend
any money on building infrastructure when it is
already there to piggyback on?) There is also the
risk that the company may fall short of the
minimum land required for the industry in
question due to the unwillingness of one or a few
owners to sell their property.

This was the very reason that the Land
Acquisition Act of 1894 was invoked to accumulate
land for SEZs. The state would then effectively
act as a broker for private companies, hardly a
role behoving a democratically elected set of
people's representatives. The conflicts and
protests during the last several months in West
Bengal, Maharashtra, Punjab and elsewhere, have
revealed the moral folly of such an approach. (In
contrast to their Communist counterparts in West
Bengal, the Gujarat government has skilfully
minimised such conflicts by staying out of land
deals in the first place. It has also avoided
some problems by keeping agricultural lands out
of the reckoning.)

  "This is not the Gita or the Bible. No?"

That is how Union Minister for Commerce and
Industries Kamal Nath responded to the media when
queried about the new policy ruling on land
ceilings for SEZs. Not surprisingly, just the
previous day the Reliance spokesman on SEZs,
Anand Jain, had told NDTV: "I am sure this is not
a final no. There is much more to come. We will
go to the government, we will place our ideas
with them, and we are sure they will change their
mind." A good sample of how policies are made,
unmade and remade in this fascinating democracy.
Policies are made in the shadows. The government
implements them by stealth. People protest.
Government appears to budge. Money whispers. The
media feels sorry for the megacorps. Politicians
nod. They wait for people to get tired. Soon
everything goes back to where it started.

Kamal Nath was visiting China when he made that
remark. Perhaps the perspective of distance made
him feel secure in making the statement, within
two weeks of the meeting of the Empowered Group
of Ministers on SEZs. The echoes of Nandigram
might have faded in the din of Beijing.

Being the biggest accumulator of SEZ land in the
country, Reliance was "hardest hit" by the policy
ruling of April 5. It had the sympathies of the
media. Reliance has been in the process of
acquiring, among other properties, two huge areas
of over 25,000 acres each near Gurgaon in Haryana
and near Mumbai. Evidently, their confidence is
unshaken by the new policy ruling. They are not
giving up: "The cap on the size of SEZs does not
exist in any other country. This is one of the
vital issues that will be taken up with the
government," Anand Jain told PTI the other day.
(SEZs do not exist in most countries, the reason
why caps on their size do not exist either.)
Reacting to the government's decision to distance
itself from acquiring land for SEZs, he said:
"The government cannot have it both ways. They
cannot insist on the SEZ being on contiguous land
and then refuse to get involved..." It becomes
clearer how the government is being cornered to
play the role of land broker once again.

When asked how Reliance would acquire land in the
face of protests by farmers and activists, Jain
told NDTV that the compensation package to
farmers will be like a lottery. So much for fair
compensation.

Exactly who calls the shots when it comes to
economic policymaking ultimately becomes clear
when you listen to Kamal Nath after his return to
New Delhi: "Should a proposal for an SEZ be for
an area larger than 5,000 hectares, after
examining its impact on the economy overall, the
government could consider itŠOnce the
rehabilitation policy is in place the government
will look into it. It (the ceiling) is not part
of the SEZ Act, but part of the rules."

So why all the song and dance about the government changing SEZ policy?

It wastes a lot of the public's time.

Movers and shakers

According to The Times of India, having learnt
from the events at Nandigram, the newly elected
government of Prakash Singh Badal in Punjab may
reverse its predecessor's decision to acquire 485
acres of land for the giant builder-developer DLF
across seven villages near Amritsar. This despite
clearance from the central government for the SEZ
projects in the state.

Yogesh Verma, head of the SEZ division of DLF
told the newspaper: "We had decided to go to
Punjab following an assurance by the state
government to provide us land. How can it go back
on its promise? Land acquisition for our project
should be considered retrospectively."
Given that DLF is planning investments of Rs
1,800 crore at an SEZ near Ludhiana, in addition
to the Rs 453 crore planned for the Amritsar SEZ,
it remains to be seen whether the Badal
government is strong enough to stick to its word.

The new Punjab government will do well to
remember that the Amarinder Singh government had
suffered a bitter defeat in the recent assembly
elections in Punjab thanks to its pro-corporate,
anti-farmer policies. There is no barren land in
Punjab, only some of the most fertile arable land
in the world. The anger and resentment of farmers
against state policies runs high.

Besides DLF in Punjab there are investors in
other parts of the country who are looking for a
reinstatement of the original SEZ policy of the
government. There is, for instance, the South
Korean steel transnational POSCO, slated to bring
the largest-ever foreign investment into India
($12 billion or Rs 52,000 crore, in order to
access cheaply some of the best and largest iron
ore deposits in the world) and waiting for the
Orissa government to complete acquisition of the
4,000-odd acres of land in Jagatsinghpur
district. The acquisition has been stalled not
merely by the central government's recent policy
of suspending the clearance of SEZs (before April
5) but also by the fierce resistance the state
has faced from three local tribal villages who
are defending their heritage in a way no less
zealous than the peasants of Nandigram fought for
theirs.

POSCO has applied pressure from the top, by
getting the mayor of Seoul to approach the Indian
Prime Minister himself. A dozen platoons of the
Orissa police have surrounded the three villages,
waiting for orders to strike. The villagers are
ready for them. But Nandigram is too haunting a
recent memory to allow either the Prime Minister
or the Chief Minister (Naveen Patnaik) to take
recourse so readily to force yet again. Besides,
it would be a direct contradiction of the stated
change in government policy (on April 5) if the
government still found it within reason to use
the Land Acquisition Act to take over the land
from the tribal communities.

And yet, an Orissa government release to The
Times of India on April 20 has the temerity to
claim that "the government of India requested
government of Orissa to expedite land allotment
to POSCOŠPOSCO may negotiate with land users for
acquisition of private land if they want SEZ
status, in which case the state government can
facilitate the process."

So there we go: the state as land broker yet again.

The alternative

It is clear that the State must stay out of land
acquisition (for SEZs or indeed, for any other
purpose). That is the message of Nandigram and
Singur. Wouldn't the farming community then be
vulnerable to local land mafias, who can be
deployed by private builders and developers to
seize the land of farmers?

The State has a Constitutional responsibility to
defend the private property of farmers and
peasants. It is legally obliged to use its
coercive policing powers to ensure that the land
mafia does not use threat or force to seize the
land from vulnerable peasants. This must be the
demand made of governments across the nation as
regards the policy of land acquisition.

If governments can't learn that lesson from
Nandigram and Singur, they should at least draw
it from the string of recent electoral defeats
for incumbent parties throughout India. People
have had enough of their needs being trampled
upon by a State all too cosy with corporate India
- in cruel disregard of pre-existing rights of
the underprivileged.

Indian Express
April 24, 2007

'I WAS ALWAYS LEFTIST. ECONOMIC REFORMS MADE ME COMPLETELY MARXIST'

by Mani Shankar Aiyar

In a speech at a CII meet, Mani Shankar Aiyar
argued that policy is hijacked by a small elite.
That the cabinet he belongs to is quite
comfortable with this hijacking. That India's
system of governance is such that Rs 650 crore
for village development is considered wasteful
but Rs 7,000 crore for the Commonwealth Games is
considered vital. The classes rule all the time,
Aiyar says, the masses get a look-in every five
years

  A few weeks ago the newspapers reported that the
number of Indian billionaires had exceeded the
number of billionaires in Japan, and there was a
considerable amount of self-congratulation on
this. I understand from P. Sainath that we rank
eighth in the world in the number of our
millionaires. And we stand 126th on the Human
Development Index. I am glad to report that last
year we were 127th.

At this very fast rate of growth that we are now
showing, we moved up from 127th to 126th
position. This is the paradigm of our development
process. In a democracy, every five years the
masses determine who will rule this country. And
they showed dramatically in the last elections
that they knew how to keep their counsel and show
who they wanted. We, my party and I, were the
beneficiaries and we formed the government. Every
five years, it is the masses who determine who
will form the government. And in between those
five years the classes determine what that
government will do.

In determining what that government will do, the
CII has played an extremely important role. I am
not surprised, as that is its job. It represents
industry, and therefore it argues for the
interests of the industry. Industry has been
enormously benefited by the processes of economic
reform that we have seen in this country over the
last 15 years or so. But the benefits of these
reforms have gone so disproportionately to those
who are the most passionate advocates of reforms
that every five years we are given a slap in the
face for having done what the CII regards as
self-evidently the right thing for this country.

It is a sustainable economic proposition, because
our numbers are so vast, that there are perhaps
10 million Indians who are just as rich as the
richest equivalent segment anywhere in the world
or in any group of countries. There are about
fifty million Indians who really are
extraordinarily well off. That's the population
of the UK.

But if you look at the 700 million Indians who
are either not in the market or barely in the
market, then the impact of the economic reforms
process, which is so lauded by the CII, makes
virtually no difference to their lives. That is
why there is a complete disjunct between what the
democratic processes are trying for in the short
run and what those who have made an enormous
success of our achievements in the last fifteen
years deem to be, at least in the short run,
their own requirements.

So when you talk of a nine point two per cent
growth rate, it becomes a statistical
abstraction: 0.2 per cent of our people are
growing at 9.92 per cent per annum. But there is
a very large number, I don't know how many, whose
growth rate is perhaps down to 0.2 per cent. But
certainly, the number of those who are at the
lower end of the growth sector is very much
larger than those who are at the higher end.

Yet what happens when you have the budget? As an
absolute ritual every finance minister (my
colleague Chidambaram is no exception) will
devote the first four or five pages of his budget
speech to the bulk of India and there will then
be several pages, including whole of part B,
which deals perhaps with one or two per cent of
our population. Almost the entire discussion that
takes place at CII or CII-like forums, will be
about Part B rather than Part A.

There are comfort levels that you get from
statistics - for instance, suddenly Arun Shourie,
announcing in the NDA government that our poverty
rates have fallen from 35 per cent to 22 per
cent. He did it by changing the basis on which
you estimate poverty. You cannot compare apples
and oranges. The next national sample survey has
shown that our poverty levels have actually
increased. Are we going to be mesmerised by these
statistics or understand that 700 million of our
people are poor?

So we have an Indira Awaas Yojana which will
ensure that there will be a 'jhuggi' for every
Indian round about the year 2200. We have the PM
Gram Sadak Yojana which was supposed to complete
all the gram sadak in seven years - we are in the
eighth year. And where we are told that the
education of 1000 may be covered, who knows only
the education of 500 will be covered. And if you
happen to be a tribal in Arunachal, you are told
that because of your social custom you are to
live in one hut atop a hill, we can't provide you
a road.

I was always something of a leftist. But I became
a complete Marxist only after the economic
reforms. Because I see the extent to which the
most important conception of Marx - that the
relationship of any given class with the means of
production determines the superstructure - holds.

This ugly choice is placed before the government.
An unequal choice, because you have organised
yourself to say what you want to say but the
others are only able to organise themselves and
that too without speaking to each other in the
fifth year when the elections take place. That is
why this expression anti-incumbency, although the
Oxford Dictionary says that it is a word
belonging to the English language, is a
peculiarly Indian phenomenon. Because everything
that goes in the name of good governance like the
economic reforms either does not touch the life
of people or affect them at all.

We have seen what happened at Nandigram, we have
seen what was happening at Singur and we have
these propositions that say that SEZs are going
to come and lakhs of hectares are going to be
utilised for the good of the country. For what's
the syndrome in all this, it's still 'do bigha
zameen'. The chap says that I want my one bigha
of zameen to be reinstated, but you offer double
the compensation and "baad mein dekha jayega".
You go to Hirakud, which is where Jawaharlal
Nehru actually used the expression modern temples
of India, and you ask what happened to the
tribals who were driven out of there. Absolutely
nobody knows.

Coming to the cabinet, you see what happens. The
minute suggestions are made as to what would
perhaps benefit the people and what would benefit
the classes, the tendency is to say that our
great achievement is 9.2 per cent growth. Our
great achievement is that Indian industrialists
are buying Arcelor and Corus. That Time magazine
thinks we are a great power.

In these circumstances, when a proposal came
before the government to spend Rs 648 crore on
the Gram Nyaya department, we were solemnly
informed by one of the most influential ministers
in the government to remember that we are a poor
country. I was delighted when the next day he was
with me in a group of ministers and I reminded
him of his remark and said in that case can we
stop spending the Rs 7000 crore on the
Commonwealth Games and he said, "No, no, that is
an international commitment and a matter of
national pride." This national pride will of
course blow up if you spend Rs 7000 crore on the
Commonwealth Games. We will be on the cover of
Time and Newsweek.

I have always wondered why this rate of growth
and economic reforms process is dated to Manmohan
Singh. Because actually it should be dated to
L.K. Jha's book Economic Strategy for the 80s. It
is the decade in which we quickly recovered from
agricultural depression and registered a double
digit growth. At the beginning of the decade our
biggest import was crude oil and after that it
was edible oil. By the end of the decade we were
exporters of several kinds of edible oil.

Why is it that Nehru became successful with his
Hindu rate of growth? The reason is that the
Hindu rate of growth was five times what our
pre-Hindu rate of growth was. From 1914 to 1947,
the figures of which are available, the rate of
growth of the Indian economy was 0.72 per cent.
And we got the Hindu rate of growth which was
five times that and it made a difference to the
people. The minute you had solid land reforms,
the people had their 'zameen'. That is what
Mother India was all about. People felt that they
were involved in the process. All the political
talk was: gareeb ke liye ham kya kar sakte hain.
Indira Gandhi matched it beautifully when the
entire political spectrum joined hands against
her by saying, "Woh kehte hain Indira hatao, hum
kehte hain Garibi hatao."

There is nobody so marginal in a government as
the minister of Panchayati Raj. I count for
nothing. Nothing! When I was the minister of
petroleum, I used to walk surrounded by this
media. I kept on telling them that petrol prices
can do only three things - go up, go down or
remain where they are. And it was all over the
place. But try and get them to write two words
about the 700 million Indians - absolutely
impossible. And now with terrestrial television
it is even worse. You have to be quarreling with
your mother-in-law or hitting your
daughter-in-law to be able to hit the headlines.
It is impossible to get particularly the pink
papers to focus on issues that affect the bulk of
the people. And it is so easy to get them to
focus on issues that are of high relevance to
only one or two per cent of the people.

I believe the CII, if it is serious about the
issue, should not be restricting itself to 25
minutes discussion before lunch but hold
discussions for ten days and maybe something will
come out of it.

Edited extracts from a speech at the CII Northern
Region annual meeting 2006-07, New Delhi, April 4

The Telegraph
March 30, 2007

SANTA CLAUS VISITS THE TATAS
- Freebies from a debt-ridden government
Cutting Corners - Ashok Mitra

The uproar over Nandigram - and Singur - in West
Bengal will not die away soon. Competitive
democracy has its own laws; those opposed to the
party ruling in the state will try to squeeze the
maximum advantage from the discomfiture it has
brought upon itself.

Speculation continues on the riddle as to why,
despite repeated assurances to the contrary, the
state administration fell back on a colonial-type
police offensive to re-assert its authority in
Nandigram. The underlying reason, informed
sources suggest, was a strong message from the
Salim group, who were promised vast stretches of
land in the area for their chemical hub project;
they might move away elsewhere, the message said,
if the land was not handed over to them within
the next few weeks. That set the panic bell
ringing; the sequel has been horrifying.

Nothing illustrates more glaringly the spell
globalization has cast on the country, even on
those whose ideology and praxis should have
prepared them to cope with it in a better manner.
Industrialization, the rationale of which few
will dispute, is being taken to be synonymous
with industrialization under private auspices. To
talk of industrial growth in the state sector is
assumed to be heresy. Questions such as whether a
particular private project will actually lead to
a net increase in employment or output are
discouraged too. Fables are having a field day:
the private sector means efficiency to the nth
degree, public enterprise is the other name for
sloth, incompetence and wastage. The stunning
achievements of the National Thermal Corporation,
Bharat Heavy Electricals, Nalco, the Oil and
Natural Gas Commission, the Gas Authority of
India or the Indian Oil Corporation in recent
years are conveniently ignored. Also brushed
aside is any reference to the huge resources at
the command of public sector fiscal agencies such
as the Life Insurance Corporation of India and
the Unit Trust of India.

As in the other poorer countries, here too fiscal
devices are introduced at the behest of US-led
international financial institutions to compel
ruling politicians to desist from taking new
initiatives in the public sector. The Fiscal
Responsibility and Budgetary Management Act is
being applied to admonish both the Centre and
state governments not to 'fritter' resources on
public sector extravaganzas. There is, in
consequence, a gradual maturing of the belief
that industrial activities are a natural monopoly
of private entities, foreign as well as domestic.

The Left Front in West Bengal is the product of a
historical movement which had as its credo the
expansion of public goods and industrial growth
through the deus ex machina of the public sector.
Those currently in charge of the Front government
in the state have apparently convinced themselves
that, in the era of globalization, ideological
shibboleths are poison, development ipso facto is
development sponsored by the private sector, the
government has only the residuary obligations to
acquire land, on behalf of private tycoons, on
which industry is supposed to be set up, and, in
addition, provide costly infrastructural
facilities the private sector will not build on
its own because of their low profitability.

Once development is defined in such constricted
terms, maximizing the rate of return for private
operators becomes the only criterion by which to
judge success. The logic is simple: if private
profit expands, capitalists feel good; if
capitalists feel good, they will expand their
activities and the economy will have growth. The
state government does not dare to enquire whether
activities undertaken by capitalists will be on
the basis of any careful analysis of costs and
benefits, or whether in deciding the technology
for the investments undertaken, alternative
choices will be considered. Fifty years ago, when
official faith in economic planning was still
extant in the country, any investment proposal
would be examined, taking into account the
expected rate of income growth, the expected rate
of employment growth and the expected rate of
surplus or profit. With the eclipse of the
planning era, such elementary practices have gone
the way of all flesh; the only desideratum
regarded as relevant is the expected rate of
generation of private profit.

This transformation is illustrated most luridly
by the details the state administration in West
Bengal has finally been forced to disclose
concerning the agreement it has reached with the
Tata group apropos the small car project at
Singur. The Tatas are, of course, rolling in
money. Only a couple of months ago, they invested
a sum roughly the equivalent of Rs 50,000 crore
to take command of a giant international steel
complex. To persuade this fabulously rich group
to start a modest-sized car factory here, the
state government has already spent something
around Rs 150 crore to acquire close to 1,000
acres of land. The least that was expected was
that it would recoup this amount from the Tatas.
Nothing of the sort. Instead, the Tatas have been
handed over this entire tract of land on a
ninety-year lease without any down payment at
all. For the first five years of the lease, they
will pay only one crore rupees; for the next
twenty-five years, the payment will increase by
25 per cent at five-year intervals; for the next
thirty years payment will be raised at five-year
intervals by 33 per cent; for the final twenty
years, the rent will be only Rs 20 crore per year.

The discounted present value of what the Tatas
have agreed to pay, any respectable accountant
will vouchsafe, will hardly exceed Rs 50 crore.
Equally necessary to take into account here are
the historical trends in the rate of inflation
and the likely explosion of real estate values
through the decades of the 21st century. The
conclusion is incontrovertible: the government
is, really and truly, making a free gift to the
Tatas of the land in Singur.

That is, however, only a minor part of the story.
The state government is, in addition, offering
the Tata group a gift coupon in the way of a loan
worth Rs 200 crore carrying a nominal interest of
only 1 per cent (as against the rate currently
charged by the banks of at least 10 per cent);
the principal, one suspects, is never intended to
be returned. Finally, in terms of the lease
agreement, the entire proceeds for the first ten
years of the value-added tax on the sale of this
precious car in West Bengal are proposed to be
handed back to the Tatas, again at a nominal
interest of only 1 per cent. If 40,000 cars are
sold every year in West Bengal - not an
unreconcilable assumption - with a value- added
tax at 12.5 cent, this particular act of
magnanimity on the part of the state would ensure
an extra bonanza of more than Rs 500 core for the
Tatas.

All told, therefore, the group is being offered
the allure of around Rs 850 crore by the state
government, apart from their being spared the
bother of acquiring the land through their own
efforts. The deal does not though mention what
the Tatas are, in exchange, offering West Bengal.
There is not even a stray reference to the likely
employment, direct or indirect, consequent to the
setting up of the plant. Were the employment
generated not to exceed 10,000, that would just
about equal the number of share-croppers and
landless farm workers displaced at Singur
following the acquisition of land. The state's
outlay of Rs 850 crore would be for nothing.

Suspend the debate over the ideology of
development. Also steer clear of the pastime of
apportioning moral responsibility for the deaths
and other incidents in Singur and Nandigram.
Forget for the moment the dubious economics too.
What about one's sense of aesthetics though? Does
it not appear obscene that a state government,
carrying a burden of debt of more than Rs 150,000
crore and with a countless number of problems,
would offer a freebie of Rs 850 crore to an
industrial group which has made an outlay of over
Rs 50,000 crore only the other day to satisfy
their expansionary ego overseas?

Economic and Political Weekly
March 24, 2007

Genealogies of Globalisation:
UNPACKING THE 'UNIVERSAL' HISTORY OF CAPITAL
This essay is a preliminary attempt to revisit
the history of capital and capitalism with a view
to unravelling its supposedly universal character
and so-called historical inevitability. With this
aim, it re-reads Marx as a critic and historian
of capital, and finds in him and his legatees a
continuing tension between the belief in
capital's universality and its actual
failure-to-be in
most of the world. This assumption of capital's
inevitability continues unshaken even when it is
clear that short of state elites' conscious
intervention, capitalism just does not seem to
take hold.

by Aditya Nigam

http://www.epw.org.in/showArticles.php?root=2007&leaf=03&filename=11217&filetype=pdf

Hindustan Times
April 23, 2007

INVISIBLE HISTORY

by Nayanjot Lahiri

'As silent as a statue' we sometimes say; yet statues, too can speak

When Graeme Davison wrote these words, he meant
that public monuments form a vital clue to what
people choose to remember. His insight is worth
reflecting upon, as a choreographed commemoration
of the 150th anniversary of the 1857 revolt is
fast approaching.

It is ironic that Delhi will witness a state
remembrance of the rebellion. The
post-Independence political class that inhabits
it has actually suffered a 'monumental' amnesia
in relation to this defining event. There is no
separate memorial that honours the rebels in
Delhi, no mention of those who lost their lives
fighting the British, nor of those thousands who
were hanged on charges of treason and sedition.
The rich history of the revolt is somewhat
invisible in our national capital.

Unless, appropriating British memorials by
setting up inscriptions counts as a befitting
remembrance. The Mutiny Memorial set up by the
British to remember their dead was 'converted'
into our memorial. An inscription informs us that
the 'enemy' of the British epitaphs were "those
who rose against colonial rule". But who they
were and how they died has not been thought  to
be worthy of remembrance. Not all those who have
controlled Delhi have been as inattentive to
their dead as the ruling class of
post-Independence India. In the aftermath of the
revolt, the British commemorated their victory
quite deliberately, creating around the graves
and the original scenes of action, a mutiny
landscape of sacrifice and bravery 'selflessly'
displayed for a larger cause.

Meanwhile, at Lal Qila, the symbol of Delhi's
resistance, the 1857 legacy remains more or less
absent. The display highlights only the medieval
history of monuments, to the exclusion of what
they were used for since then. Few visitors
realise that the Diwan-i-Khas was where Bahadur
Shah was tried for treason. Nor are they made
aware that the Naqar Khana quartered British
soldiers while  the Zafar Mahal was their bathing
area. This fort  will certainly see a major
gathering in May that is also unlikely to have
much to do with the summer of 1857. Unlike the
small group of Meerut sepoys who moved overnight
on May 10, this time 30,000 'volunteers' will
first be brought to Meerut, marching over four
days to reach Delhi.

If integrating 1857 into the public sphere is the
aim, more meaningful ways of doing this can be
suggested. The Congress can earn enduring
political mileage by making the aam aadmi of the
revolt, who lies locked away in the archives,
accessible. Such an exercise, though, would not
attract the same coverage as a national tamasha.
Nor would event managers be singing all the way
to the bank.

Let us put aside the powerful in Delhi, and
follow the revolt in a less visible arena. Jhansi
is one such place. The June of 1857 in Jhansi
eerily evoked the Delhi events  - rebellious
soldiers seizing the armoury, burning property,
massacring unarmed firangis after reneging on
promises of safe passage. And, as at Delhi,
rebels seeking the help of a reluctant ruler who
had been shorn of power by the British. The ways
in which memories of the revolt have been
preserved around the landscape of resistance,
though, are strikingly different. Unlike Delhi's
'national' culture, which has hardly given any
space to this moment in its history, Jhansi's
charm stems from its unconventional yet inclusive
modes of commemoration in this season of
centrally orchestrated remembrance.

Eighteen fifty-seven in Bundelkhand is much
remembered because of Rani Lakshmi Bai.
Naturally, Jhansi resonates with her presence.
She is aggressively depicted - a sword-wielding
figure, riding a horse, with her adopted son,
Damodar Rao, strapped to her back. Such statues
have been erected all over Jhansi as also in
nearby Gwalior, where the Rani was cremated. The
Gwalior equestrian bronze, though, is somewhat
diminished by the absence of Damodar Rao, who was
stolen some years ago.

But Jhansi is not frozen in a one- dimensional
remembrance of the Rani. The Jhansi fort is a
marker of this. The artefacts and structures at
this iconic site of resistance underscore its
multi-layered history. Like Delhi's Red Fort, it
is a 17th century construction. Unlike the
monochromatic characterisation in Delhi, the
Jhansi fort confronts us as a stronghold of many
occupants. The entrance signpost mentions the
Bundella chief who built it, and its masters
since then - Mughals, Marathas and British.

Simultaneously, this long-term history is
juxtaposed with the 1857 resistance - through a
plaque etched with Subhadra Kumari Chauhan's
Jhansi ki Rani. It is unusual to see the
invocation of a bard at a monument protected by
the Archaeological Survey. But this emotionally
charged poem happens to be one of the reasons why
Jhansi's  fighting Rani is so vividly remembered.
The poetess is herself memorialised in an equally
dramatic way. 'Subhadra Kumari Chauhan' is now
the name of an  Indian coast guard ship that
defends the Indian shore, commissioned in 2006 in
the presence of her descendants.

Even more unusual are the modes of remembrance
that surround Lakshmi Bai. The  Rani  is
remembered  as  an armed defender of her
principality, as someone who enjoyed gardens, and
as a devout Hindu. From the Ganesha and Siva
temples where she worshipped to the Amod garden
where she frequented, we are encouraged to think
of her as a human actor, not a frozen monument.
Similarly, the 'baradari' is a monument to the
multifaceted persona of Gangadhar Rao, the less
famous ruler of Jhansi and husband of Lakshmi
Bai. It is his love of performing arts, rather
than his accomplishments as a ruler, that the
performing arena evokes.

One of the performers - the only regular female
performer on the stage of Gangadhar Rao - lies
buried in the fort. She is, however, commemorated
in her later avatar, as a gunner in Lakshmi Bai's
army as is the Bhawani Shankar cannon she
operated. A 'canonical' remembrance has also been
accorded to Ghulam Ghaus Khan in the form of the
'kadak bijli' cannon he operated. Ghaus Khan,
like Moti Bai, was killed on June 4, 1858, and he
too is buried along with her, as is another
soldier, Khuda Baksh, who lost his life on the
same day. They lie together in a collective
monument of martyrs, adding to the multiple ways
in which this monumental landscape is humanised.

It is not as if remembrance is faithfully
authentic. The fibre glass form of Ghulam Ghaus
Khan in the government museum cannot, in any way,
be a representation of the original hero. This
was once part of the Uttar Pradesh government's
Republic Day 'jhanki'. It has since then been
recycled as museum display. Similar is the status
of the 'jumping spot' from where the Rani on
horseback, with her son, is supposed to have
escaped. Almost certainly, this has nothing to do
with what actually happened.  Lakshmi Bai did
escape the British siege around Jhansi, but she
left from the main gate accompanied by Afghan
mercenaries and riders on  April 4, 1858.

Commemoration in Jhansi is also not static. It
continues to feed off the energies generated by
recent social movements. A new element in the old
history of the revolt is the Dalit woman hero,
Jhalkari Bai. She is supposed to have resembled
Lakshmi Bai, and it was her impersonation that
allowed the Rani to escape. How much of her story
can be located in orthodox historical sources is
hardly relevant here. Just as faith in gods and
goddesses has created an archaeology of Hinduism,
similarly, a belief in the persona of Jhalkari
Bai has been proactively translated into a
veritable archaeology of remembrance around her.
There are statues and paintings of her in a
Lakshmi Bai like form  as also a Jhalkari burj,
where the cannon operated by her husband was
located. Even  the locality where she lived,
Nayapura,  is now recognised by the Nagar Palika
as Jhalkaripuram.

Jhansi's untidy entanglement of memory and
materiality makes us see the landscape of 1857 in
its multiple forms. Is it too naïve to hope for a
'happy end' in Delhi? Is it possible that the
1857 rebellion will be commemorated not through
pointless display but in a way that makes the
Delhi rebels, and their histories, visible?

Nayanjot Lahiri's work on 1857 is supported by
Delhi University where she teaches

The Economic Times

Its Time Marketers Explore Community-Specific Consumer Segments
COMMERCIALIZATION OF RELIGION MUST END
by S Irfan Habib
Scientist
NISTADS
New Delhi

Why should marketers explore community specific
consumer segments now? As a matter of fact, a
large number of Indian and transnational
companies have done that already and this
intervention has commercialized our cultural,
social and religious lives. Than what do we mean
by community in India?
	As America seems to be the model in most
of the market strategies, I must point out that
American idea of a community is different from us
in India. America is a huge diaspora where
diverse races and communities form a single
nation. Fresh communities are added changing the
demographic profile of the American nation. Close
to 18% US population today is Hispanic, with a
growing purchasing power. A large number of
marketing groups are rightly targeting this
community. Comprising several unique and diverse
consumer segments, the Hispanic Cohorts offers
marketers the ability to understand the
demographics, lifestyles, attitudes and
behavioral characteristics of America's largest,
and fastest growing ethnic market. In India,
however, the notion of a community is mostly
around religion or region. Quite a few of our
marginal Hindu festivals have been put on centre
stage through the community specific marketing of
several products. In a country like India, with
serious economic and social disparities and
heterogeneities, such unashamed commercialization
has created social tensions, particularly in
urban India. Why should a commercial product
appeal to someone's communitarian identity? We
have designer T-Shirts with Om, Allah, and
pictures of Gods and Goddesses in the market and
now ring tones like Gayatri mantra for Hindus and
Azaan for Muslims. One of the major MNCs launched
a soap called Ganga with a claim that the soap
had few drops of sacred Gangajal, obviously
targeting the Hindu community in north India.
	Besides profit and business, I see the
need for community related marketing as part of
the identity crisis in the globalized world. Even
science and knowledge have not been spared from
this essentialism and we have serious advocates
for Islamic science and Hindu science, who tend
to see their science as different from modern
science. Islamic science in particular emphasizes
its distinctive character, with Quran as its sole
inspiration. I see all such attempts as divisive,
particularly in a plural society like India.
	Thus, I must say, I have a serious
ethical problem with community specific
marketing. Indian society, which is already
fissured socially and regionally, should not be
exposed to the neo-liberal market logic that
revolves around profit at all cost. I do not
advocate a return to the license raj but
globalization does not mean unabashed aping of
American consumerism. I say American here and not
Western because I have often observed and shared
a European's discomfort with an American's
infinite appetite to consume

NARMADA BACHAO ANDOLAN
62 Gandhi Marg, Badwani, M.P.  Ph. 07290-222464,
09893204498, badwani at narmada.org
Maitri Niwas, Tembewadi, Dhadgaon,  Nandurbar, Maharashtra. Ph: 02595-220620

PRESS RELEASE
Camp Delhi, 25th April 2007

Counter to foreign-funding and sedition allegations against NBA

[This press release is issued only to counter the
propaganda and false publicity given to the
sedition case filed against Narmada Bachao
Andolan and the wrong reports that have been
issued to/by different media]

?No enquiry into Narmada Bachao Andolan's funding
ordered by any court, false reports will face
legal action

?The Government of India gives clean chit to NBA
against charges of illegal foreign funding

??The defamatory petition on 'sedition' will be
heard May 8th 2007 at the Supreme Court

An utterly false vilification campaign against
NBA & myself is on! This is, as claimed by them,
initiated and carried forward by one Mr. V.K.
Saxena, said to be representing National Council
of Civil Liberties (NCCL). He is one of the
accused in the case filed based on an FIR filed
by me, for the physical attack in Sabarmati
Ashram and another case of defamation for the
expensive advertisement published in many
newspapers a few years ago. NCCL has now filed a
petition charging NBA of 'sedition' apart from
illegal foreign funding, violence using
detonators, etc. and stalling a 'development'
project.

The Supreme Court (Mr. Sabharwal, former Chief
Justice) admitted the case, but refused to issue
notice to me personally, inspite of having been
made a party but issued notice to Narmada Bachao
Andolan and other parties including state
governments of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and the
Union of India. NBA has replied to every
allegation, which is false & baseless and
challenged this interpretation of the non-violent
peoples movement as violent and 'seditious'. The
charge of foreign funding, claiming that we have
accepted foreign awards illegally & received
money through support organisations is also
countered with all proof & data. Advocate Indira
Jaising is pleading on behalf of NBA.

NBA has not, as our well-wishers know and as was
publicly announced in 1990s, touched any money
associated with the awards and do not have any
foreign funded projects. Who questions foreign
funding, when the governments, many political
parties and their affiliates with very few
exceptions, survive on the same (which we
challenge as neo-liberal policy through our
movements), is another core issue. To exemplify,
questions have been raised on money collected by
Vishwa Hindu Parishad and for the earth quake
relief in Kutch as well as non-utilisation of
funds for compensating the flood affected in
Gujarat. It is ridiculous that while foreign
investment at the cost of peopleís rights,
resources and sovereignty is followed as a core
economic policy, a mass movement, sustained with
meager resources, fighting for justice has been
challenged throughout the last two decades mainly
because the system and the vested interests see
it as threat.

The state governments of Gujarat and Madhya
Pradesh have filed their affidavits in which
Gujarat has stated in one sentence, that a high
level enquiry may be conducted. Madhya Pradesh
has repeated the cases filed by itself (the
police at local levels) while almost all of those
are settled in favour of NBA activists, the
affected people themselves. The state government
itself has said that the cases are being taken of
under the normal law.

The Central Government too filed its affidavit on
April 17th in which it has referred to the two
enquiries already conducted into the account
books of NBA in 2000 & 2002 by the Ministry of
Home Affairs and found nothing indicating
violation of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act
(FCRA). The Central Government has annexed a
letter by Shri Harin Pathak, then Minister of
State for Home Affairs, dated August 2003,
addressed to Narendra Modi, stating this
conclusion in response to Mr. Modi's letter which
is not enclosed. This proves that Gujarat
Government concealed the facts regarding these
earlier enquiries, while pleading for a fresh
enquiry into NBA's sources of funds, without any
argument justifying the same.

In relation to a few support organisations and
Mr. Rahul Bannerjee (a freelance researcher,
author) the petition has alleged that NBA
receives funds from /through supporters
illegally. NBA has already denied it forcefully
and Mr.Bannerjee has submitted his audited
accounts and various proofs, clarifying that he
was never an activist if NBA. On this, the
Government of India affidavit only mentions the
trusts and two other organisations, supposedly
supporters of NBA, that they do not have FCRA. No
linkage, financial or otherwise is discussed in
the GOI's affidavit. The GOI affidavit thus does
not put any legal accusation against NBA. On the
other hand, it brings out clearly that the
earlier enquiry had also investigated into the
accounts of NBA's support organisations and
cleared them of any illegal utilization of funds
for NBA.

The Union of India affidavit also expresses its
opinion on Rehabilitation, saying there is no
human rights violation involved in Sardar Sarovar
Project. The Sardar Sarovar affected people in
groups have already filed five cases including a
contempt case against the Chairmen/chairwomen of
various authorities & a case of intervention is
also filed by 10 eminent persons including Dr.
Upendra Baxi, Shri Kuldip Nayyar, Shri Swami
Agnivesh, Ms. Aruna Roy. Dr. B. D. Sharma, Shri
Harsh Mander, Ms. Kamla Bhasin, Shri Ramasamy
Iyer, Dr. L.C. Jain & Shri Suhas Borker, which is
being pleaded by Prof. Upendra Baxi, the eminent
legal scholar himself. The issues related to
Rehabilitation & displacement, are, therefore,
not to be main issues in the sedition/defamation
case.

The Supreme Court bench headed by Justice C.K.
Thakker has not heard the case as yet & hearing
is scheduled for 8th May 2007. Meanwhile the news
item put out by PTI and reproduced in many Hindi,
English & Marathi newspapers about "enquiry
ordered" into funds of NBA/ Medha Patkar or "the
accusation by GOI" etc. is utterly false &
legally challengeable as criminal/defamatory.
Narmada Bachao Andolan will take steps that are
appropriate & necessary.

It is obvious that certain interests, corporates
to political, would like to accuse NBA and
sabotage the organisation and the genuine
development issues it has been raising over the
last two decades. But as earlier accusations have
died down, time will prove that it is not easy to
do so, especially as it continues to fight
battles for human dignity, justice and people
oriented development. We pledge to continue our
non-violent battles legally and ethically ñ with
help and support from all those people who
believe in an egalitarian society.

Medha Patkar
(Contact Nos. 09869446684/9990110643)

Z Mag
April 26, 2007

MULTICULTURALISM KILLS ME

by Vijay Prashad

Not as much as straight-up racism. That's made a
comeback these days. This year, the number of
incidents of "black face" and other assorted
throwbacks to Jim Crow racism is astounding. My
own campus suffered this, as did Texas A&M (where
the scandal broke just as President George W.
Bush nominated its president, Robert Gates, to be
his Secretary of Defense). Such Klan-variety
racism is generally couched as juvenile
thoughtlessness, lubricated with drink and drugs,
although it doesn't feel like a prank for African
American students. For them, this is terrorism of
a domestic sort.

Colleges respond to such racism with a call for tolerance and diversity.

More diversity, less racism. That's the received
wisdom. Diversity and tolerance are part of an
ensemble of concepts that form the heart of
liberal multiculturalism. College administrators
rightly cast out cruel racism.

Against intolerance of difference, they champion
a diverse cultural life world and ask that we
respect that which is unfamiliar. With experience
comes comfort. On the surface, there is nothing
wrong with such an attitude.

Indeed, it is far better to have differences championed than denigrated.

Liberal multiculturalism, whose main concepts are
tolerance and diversity, provides a raft for
students who otherwise would be on the frontline
of juvenile cruelty. But, liberal
multiculturalism does as much long-term harm as
it does short-term good. Here are some of its
problems:

(1) It adopts a narrow view of "culture," seeing
it as the property of a "people" rather than a
set of resources and traditions that emerge in
different parts of the world, filled with
contradictions and opportunities.

As Gandhi said of a narrow idea of culture, "if I
can't swim in tradition, I'll sink in it."

(2) It gets caught in who it allows to define the
boundaries of a "culture," and in who gets to
regulate it. Typically, because theocratic and
conservative forces organize on the field of
culture, they have come to dominate it.
Therefore, it is not ordinary people, with all
our contradictions, who fashion the "culture" of
multiculturalism. Rather it is most often the
most conservative elements, those who have an
investment in making purity central to their
cultural project, who seize control of the
multicultural dynamic.

(3) Finally, because multiculturalism sets up
culture to such a high standard for the
understanding of the world's people's, "culture"
operates as the determinant of destiny. There is
no place for political economy or social
institutional analysis, if indeed culture can
explain everything about how and why people
behave.

The descent of multiculturalism into the
provision of cover for projects of cruelty is
best illustrated in the world of Indian America.
In 1990, a group of committed activists of the
hard right formed the Hindu Students Council
(HSC) in the woods of New Jersey. Their public
pronouncement was along the grain of liberal
multiculturalism, that they wanted to assist
Hindu students who struggle with the "loss and
isolation" due to their "upbringing in a dual
culture Hindu and Judeo-Christian·.We try to
reconcile our own sorrows and imperfections as
human beings in a variety of self-defeating ways.
And we usually go through this confused internal
struggle alone. It was precisely to assist you
with this spiritual, emotional and identity needs
that HSC was born." Given the strictures of
liberal multiculturalism, everyone, including
college administrators, must stand by and applaud.

But the HSC was never simply about the identity
struggles of those whom it called Hindu
Americans. It was also the youthful fingers of
the long-arm of Hindutva-supremacy in India. It
was initially a "project of the Vishwa Hindu
Parishad of America," the far right "cultural
wing" of the hard right Sangh Parivar (Family of
the Faithful). When activists of the right
destroyed a five hundred year old mosque in 1992,
the VHP egged them on, the VHPA cheered, and so
did the leaders of the HSC. For them, concern
over the identity struggles of young Indian
Americans could easily be reconciled with their
anti-Muslim politics. Multiculturalism in the U.
S. provided cover for the cruel, cultural
chauvinism in India.

All this is revealed in a new report, Lying
Religiously: The Hindu Students Council and the
Politics of Deception, released in early April
2007 by the Campaign to Stop Funding Hate (the
report is available at
http://hsctruthout.stopfundinghate.org). In 2002,
the Campaign had unmasked another "front"
organization of the far right, the India
Development and Relief Fund (IDRF), a U. S. based
charity organization that raises money for mayhem
(it continues to operate with impunity).

The HSC tried to rebut the report, saying in a
press release that it is not only "open about its
activities," but that it does such ordinary
things as "hosting speakers, performing community
service, holding poojas, celebrating festivals,
and participating in interfaith discussions."
But, as the report shows, in 2000, the head of
the VHP, the cultural wing of the hard right,
Ashok Singhal said of the HSC, "Now, the first
project we have in mind is strengthening the
Hindu Students Council. The second-third
generation Hindu youth do not want to identify
themselves with India because they are American
citizens, but they do not hesitate to call
themselves Hindu. This is the generation which is
going to throw up the leadership of the future.

We therefore feel that they should be the focus
of our attention. Our anxiety is that they should
not be torn asunder from their own roots."

Singhal, who is a fire-breathing leader of the
Hindutva right, is currently in the midst of an
election campaign, where he is defending the use
of a repellent election DVD made by the party of
the Hindutva right, the BJP (it shows, for
example, graphic details of a Muslim butcher
killing a cow, an image intended to inflame
hatred against Muslims). So much for tolerance
and diversity. The HSC now claims to be a
separate organization. The Report from the
Campaign makes the circumstantial claim that its
independence is a sign of its maturity within the
far right, "Such a severance of links signifies
the very opposite, that is, this marks the
graduation of the HSC from being a mentored
project of the VHPA to a full member of the
Sangh." This might be so. It is, of course, hard
to prove beyond a circumstantial argument. But
the claim is sufficient to start a discussion
inside and around the HSC.

What is the nature of its independence, and what
are its links with the VHPA and the "family"?

But it is another worthwhile place to hold a
discussion about multiculturalism, the social
ideology on our college campuses that allows a
conservative idea of culture to take charge.
Diversity trumps over a forthright campaign
against white supremacy, and one that dispatches
all hurtful cultural forms, whatever their
provenance.

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/