SACW | March 24-25, 2007 | India: Elites vs the poor; The left needs to rethink; Gujarat Relief, Babri Demolition / Bangladesh - Sheikh Mujib Re-Visited

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Mar 24 19:17:49 CDT 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire  | March 24-25, 2007 | Dispatch No. 2382 - Year 9

[1]  India: West had colonies to plunder, We've
begun to eat our own limbs (Arundhati Roy
interviewed)
[2]  India: "not to let the wounds of Nandigram
become festering sores" Statement by Prabhat
Patnaik et al
[3]  India: Learning Nandigram lessons (Praful Bidwai)
[4]  India: SEZ'S and Land Acquisition (Citizens Research Collective)
[5]  India: Response to the Gujarat Relief
Package by Central Government (AVHRS Press
release)
[6]  India: Revisiting Babri Mosque Demolition (Ram Puniyani)
[7]  Bangladesh: Book Review:  The Life and
Triumph of A Colossus: Sheikh Mujib Re-Visited

____

[1]

Tehelka
Mar 31 , 2007

Exclusive Interview

'IT'S OUTRIGHT WAR AND BOTH SIDES ARE CHOOSING THEIR WEAPONS'

Chhattisgarh. Jharkhand. Bihar. Andhra Pradesh.
Signposts of fractures gone too far with too
little remedy. Arundhati Roy in conversation with
Shoma Chaudhury on the violence rending our
heartland

Singur and Nandigram make you wonder - is the
last stop of every revolution advanced capitalism?
There is an atmosphere of growing violence across
the country. How do you read the signs? In what
context should it be read?

You don't have to be a genius to read the signs.
We have a growing middle class, reared on a diet
of radical consumerism and aggressive greed.
Unlike industrialising Western countries, which
had colonies from which to plunder resources and
generate slave labour to feed this process, we
have to colonise ourselves, our own nether parts.
We've begun to eat our own limbs. The greed that
is being generated (and marketed as a value
interchangeable with nationalism) can only be
sated by grabbing land, water and resources from
the vulnerable. What we're witnessing is the most
successful secessionist struggle ever waged in
independent India - the secession of the middle
and upper classes from the rest of the country.
It's a vertical secession, not a lateral one.
They're fighting for the right to merge with the
world's elite somewhere up there in the
stratosphere. They've managed to commandeer the
resources, the coal, the minerals, the bauxite,
the water and electricity. Now they want the land
to make more cars, more bombs, more mines -
supertoys for the new supercitizens of the new
superpower. So it's outright war, and people on
both sides are choosing their weapons. The
government and the corporations reach for
structural adjustment, the World Bank, the ADB,
FDI, friendly court orders, friendly policy
makers, help from the 'friendly' corporate media
and a police force that will ram all this down
people's throats. Those who want to resist this
process have, until now, reached for dharnas,
hunger strikes, satyagraha, the courts and what
they thought was friendly media. But now more and
more are reaching for guns. Will the violence
grow? If the 'growth rate' and the Sensex are
going to be the only barometers the government
uses to measure progress and the well-being of
people, then of course it will. How do I read the
signs? It isn't hard to read sky-writing. What it
says up there, in big letters, is this: the shit
has hit the fan, folks.

You once remarked that though you may not resort
to violence yourself, you think it has become
immoral to condemn it, given the circumstances in
the country. Can you elaborate on this view?

I'd be a liability as a guerrilla! I doubt I used
the word 'immoral' - morality is an elusive
business, as changeable as the weather. What I
feel is this: non-violent movements have knocked
at the door of every democratic institution in
this country for decades, and have been spurned
and humiliated. Look at the Bhopal gas victims,
the Narmada Bachao Andolan. The nba had a lot
going for it - high-profile leadership, media
coverage, more resources than any other mass
movement. What went wrong? People are bound to
want to rethink strategy. When Sonia Gandhi
begins to promote satyagraha at the World
Economic Forum in Davos, it's time for us to sit
up and think. For example, is mass civil
disobedience possible within the structure of a
democratic nation state? Is it possible in the
age of disinformation and corporate-controlled
mass media? Are hunger strikes umbilically linked
to celebrity politics? Would anybody care if the
people of Nangla Machhi or Bhatti mines went on a
hunger strike? Irom Sharmila has been on a hunger
strike for six years. That should be a lesson to
many of us. I've always felt that it's ironic
that hunger strikes are used as a political
weapon in a land where most people go hungry
anyway. We are in a different time and place now.
Up against a different, more complex adversary.
We've entered the era of NGOs - or should I say
the era of paltu shers - in which mass action can
be a treacherous business. We have demonstrations
which are funded, we have sponsored dharnas and
social forums which make militant postures but
never follow up on what they preach. We have all
kinds of 'virtual' resistance. Meetings against
SEZs sponsored by the biggest promoters of SEZs.
Awards and grants for environmental activism and
community action given by corporations
responsible for devastating whole ecosystems.
Vedanta, a company mining bauxite in the forests
of Orissa, wants to start a university. The Tatas
have two charitable trusts that directly and
indirectly fund activists and mass movements
across the country. Could that be why Singur has
drawn so much less flak than Nandigram? Of course
the Tatas and Birlas funded Gandhi too - maybe he
was our first NGO. But now we have NGOs who make
a lot of noise, write a lot of reports, but whom
the sarkar is more than comfortable with. How do
we make sense of all this? The place is crawling
with professional diffusers of real political
action. 'Virtual' resistance has become something
of a liability.

We are in the era of sponsored dharnas and NGOs
the sarkar is comfortable with. The place is
crawling with professional diffusers of real
political action
There was a time when mass movements looked to
the courts for justice. The courts have rained
down a series of judgements that are so unjust,
so insulting to the poor in the language they
use, they take your breath away. A recent Supreme
Court judgement, allowing the Vasant Kunj Mall to
resume construction though it didn't have the
requisite clearances, said in so many words that
the questions of corporations indulging in
malpractice does not arise! In the ERA of
corporate globalisation, corporate land-grab, in
the ERA of Enron and Monsanto, Halliburton and
Bechtel, that's a loaded thing to say. It exposes
the ideological heart of the most powerful
institution in this country. The judiciary, along
with the corporate press, is now seen as the
lynchpin of the neo-liberal project.

In a climate like this, when people feel that
they are being worn down, exhausted by these
interminable 'democratic' processes, only to be
eventually humiliated, what are they supposed to
do? Of course it isn't as though the only options
are binary - violence versus non-violence. There
are political parties that believe in armed
struggle but only as one part of their overall
political strategy. Political workers in these
struggles have been dealt with brutally, killed,
beaten, imprisoned under false charges. People
are fully aware that to take to arms is to call
down upon yourself the myriad forms of the
violence of the Indian State. The minute armed
struggle becomes a strategy, your whole world
shrinks and the colours fade to black and white.
But when people decide to take that step because
every other option has ended in despair, should
we condemn them? Does anyone believe that if the
people of Nandigram had held a dharna and sung
songs, the West Bengal government would have
backed down? We are living in times when to be
ineffective is to support the status quo (which
no doubt suits some of us). And being effective
comes at a terrible price. I find it hard to
condemn people who are prepared to pay that price.

You have been travelling a lot on the ground -
can you give us a sense of the trouble spots you
have been to? Can you outline a few of the combat
lines in these places?

Huge question - what can I say? The military
occupation of Kashmir, neo-fascism in Gujarat,
civil war in Chhattisgarh, mncs raping Orissa,
the submergence of hundreds of villages in the
Narmada Valley, people living on the edge of
absolute starvation, the devastation of forest
land, the Bhopal victims living to see the West
Bengal government re-wooing Union Carbide - now
calling itself Dow Chemicals - in Nandigram. I
haven't been recently to Andhra Pradesh,
Karnataka, Maharashtra, but we know about the
almost hundred thousand farmers who have killed
themselves. We know about the fake encounters and
the terrible repression in Andhra Pradesh. Each
of these places has its own particular history,
economy, ecology. None is amenable to easy
analysis. And yet there is connecting tissue,
there are huge international cultural and
economic pressures being brought to bear on them.
How can I not mention the Hindutva project,
spreading its poison sub-cutaneously, waiting to
erupt once again? I'd say the biggest indictment
of all is that we are still a country, a culture,
a society which continues to nurture and practice
the notion of untouchability. While our
economists number-crunch and boast about the
growth rate, a million people - human scavengers
- earn their living carrying several kilos of
other people's shit on their heads every day. And
if they didn't carry shit on their heads they
would starve to death. Some f***ing superpower
this.

How does one view the recent State and police violence in Bengal?

No different from police and State violence
anywhere else - including the issue of hypocrisy
and doublespeak so perfected by all political
parties including the mainstream Left. Are
Communist bullets different from capitalist ones?
Odd things are happening. It snowed in Saudi
Arabia. Owls are out in broad daylight. The
Chinese government tabled a bill sanctioning the
right to private property. I don't know if all of
this has to do with climate change. The Chinese
Communists are turning out to be the biggest
capitalists of the 21st century. Why should we
expect our own parliamentary Left to be any
different? Nandigram and Singur are clear
signals. It makes you wonder - is the last stop
of every revolution advanced capitalism? Think
about it - the French Revolution, the Russian
Revolution, the Chinese Revolution, the Vietnam
War, the anti-apartheid struggle, the supposedly
Gandhian freedom struggle in IndiaŠ what's the
last station they all pull in at? Is this the end
of imagination?

These are times when to be ineffective is to
support the status quo. And being effective comes
at a terrible price
The Maoist attack in Bijapur - the death of 55
policemen. Are the rebels only the flip side of
the State?

How can the rebels be the flip side of the State?
Would anybody say that those who fought against
apartheid - however brutal their methods - were
the flip side of the State? What about those who
fought the French in Algeria? Or those who fought
the Nazis? Or those who fought colonial regimes?
Or those who are fighting the US occupation of
Iraq? Are they the flip side of the State? This
facile new report-driven 'human rights'
discourse, this meaningless condemnation game
that we are all forced to play, makes politicians
of us all and leaches the real politics out of
everything. However pristine we would like to be,
however hard we polish our halos, the tragedy is
that we have run out of pristine choices. There
is a civil war in Chhattisgarh sponsored, created
by the Chhattisgarh government, which is publicly
pursing the Bush doctrine: if you're not with us,
you are with the terrorists. The lynchpin of this
war, apart from the formal security forces, is
the Salva Judum - a government-backed militia of
ordinary people forced to take up arms, forced to
become spos (special police officers). The Indian
State has tried this in Kashmir, in Manipur, in
Nagaland. Tens of thousands have been killed,
hundreds of thousands tortured, thousands have
disappeared. Any banana republic would be proud
of this record. Now the government wants to
import these failed strategies into the
heartland. Thousands of adivasis have been
forcibly moved off their mineral-rich lands into
police camps. Hundreds of villages have been
forcibly evacuated. Those lands, rich in
iron-ore, are being eyed by corporations like the
Tatas and Essar. mous have been signed, but no
one knows what they say. Land acquisition has
begun. This kind of thing happened in countries
like Colombia - one of the most devastated
countries in the world. While everybody's eyes
are fixed on the spiralling violence between
government-backed militias and guerrilla squads,
multinational corporations quietly make off with
the mineral wealth. That's the little piece of
theatre being scripted for us in Chhattisgarh.

Of course it's horrible that 55 policemen were
killed. But they're as much the victims of
government policy as anybody else. For the
government and the corporations they're just
cannon fodder - there's plenty more where they
came from. Crocodile tears will be shed, prim TV
anchors will hector us for a while and then more
supplies of fodder will be arranged. For the
Maoist guerrillas, the police and spos they
killed were the armed personnel of the Indian
State, the main, hands-on perpetrators of
repression, torture, custodial killings, false
encounters. They're not innocent civilians - if
such a thing exists - by any stretch of
imagination.

I have no doubt that the Maoists can be agents of
terror and coercion too. I have no doubt they
have committed unspeakable atrocities. I have no
doubt they cannot lay claim to undisputed support
from local people - but who can? Still, no
guerrilla army can survive without local support.
That's a logistical impossibility. And the
support for Maoists is growing, not diminshing.
That says something. People have no choice but to
align themselves on the side of whoever they
think is less worse.

But to equate a resistance movement fighting
against enormous injustice with the government
which enforces that injustice is absurd. The
government has slammed the door in the face of
every attempt at non-violent resistance. When
people take to arms, there is going to be all
kinds of violence - revolutionary, lumpen and
outright criminal. The government is responsible
for the monstrous situations it creates.

'Naxals', 'Maoists', 'outsiders': these are terms
being very loosely used these days.

'Outsiders' is a generic accusation used in the
early stages of repression by governments who
have begun to believe their own publicity and
can't imagine that their own people have risen up
against them. That's the stage the CPM is at now
in Bengal, though some would say repression in
Bengal is not new, it has only moved into higher
gear. In any case, what's an outsider? Who
decides the borders? Are they village boundaries?
Tehsil? Block? District? State? Is narrow
regional and ethnic politics the new Communist
mantra? About Naxals and Maoists - wellŠ India is
about to become a police state in which everybody
who disagrees with what's going on risks being
called a terrorist. Islamic terrorists have to be
Islamic - so that's not good enough to cover most
of us. They need a bigger catchment area. So
leaving the definition loose, undefined, is
effective strategy, because the time is not far
off when we'll all be called Maoists or
Naxalites, terrorists or terrorist sympathisers,
and shut down by people who don't really know or
care who Maoists or Naxalites are. In villages,
of course, that has begun - thousands of people
are being held in jails across the country,
loosely charged with being terrorists trying to
overthrow the state. Who are the real Naxalites
and Maoists? I'm not an authority on the subject,
but here's a very rudimentary potted history.

The government has slammed the door in the face
of every attempt at non-violent resistance. The
government is responsible for the situations it
creates
The Communist Party of India, the CPI, was formed
in 1925. The CPI (M), or what we now call the CPM
- the Communist Party Marxist - split from the
CPI in 1964 and formed a separate party. Both, of
course, were parliamentary political parties. In
1967, the CPM, along with a splinter group of the
Congress, came to power in West Bengal. At the
time there was massive unrest among the peasantry
starving in the countryside. Local CPM leaders -
Kanu Sanyal and Charu Mazumdar - led a peasant
uprising in the district of Naxalbari which is
where the term Naxalites comes from. In 1969, the
government fell and the Congress came back to
power under Siddhartha Shankar Ray. The Naxalite
uprising was mercilessly crushed - Mahasweta Devi
has written powerfully about this time. In 1969,
the CPI (ML) - Marxist Leninist - split from the
CPM. A few years later, around 1971, the CPI (ML)
devolved into several parties: the CPM-ML
(Liberation), largely centred in Bihar; the
CPM-ML (New Democracy), functioning for the most
part out of Andhra Pradesh and Bihar; the CPM-ML
(Class Struggle) mainly in Bengal. These parties
have been generically baptised 'Naxalites'. They
see themselves as Marxist Leninist, not strictly
speaking Maoist. They believe in elections, mass
action and - when absolutely pushed to the wall
or attacked - armed struggle. The MCC - the
Maoist Communist Centre, at the time mostly
operating in Bihar - was formed in 1968. The PW,
People's War, operational for the most part in
Andhra Pradesh, was formed in 1980. Recently, in
2004, the MCC and the pw merged to form the CPI
(Maoist) They believe in outright armed struggle
and the overthrowing of the State. They don't
participate in elections. This is the party that
is fighting the guerrilla war in Bihar, Andhra
Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand.

The Indian State and media largely view the
Maoists as an "internal security" threat. Is this
the way to look at them?

I'm sure the Maoists would be flattered to be viewed in this way.

The Maoists want to bring down the State. Given
the autocratic ideology they take their
inspiration from, what alternative would they set
up? Wouldn't their regime be an exploitative,
autocratic, violent one as well? Isn't their
action already exploitative of ordinary people?
Do they really have the support of ordinary
people?

I think it's important for us to acknowledge that
both Mao and Stalin are dubious heroes with
murderous pasts. Tens of millions of people were
killed under their regimes. Apart from what
happened in China and the Soviet Union, Pol Pot,
with the support of the Chinese Communist Party
(while the West looked discreetly away), wiped
out two million people in Cambodia and brought
millions of people to the brink of extinction
from disease and starvation. Can we pretend that
China's cultural revolution didn't happen? Or
that millions of people in the Soviet Union and
Eastern Europe were not victims of labour camps,
torture chambers, the network of spies and
informers, the secret police. The history of
these regimes is just as dark as the history of
Western imperialism, except for the fact that
they had a shorter life-span. We cannot condemn
the occupation of Iraq, Palestine and Kashmir
while we remain silent about Tibet and Chechnya.
I would imagine that for the Maoists, the
Naxalites, as well as the mainstream Left, being
honest about the past is important to strengthen
people's faith in the future. One hopes the past
will not be repeated, but denying that it ever
happened doesn't help inspire confidenceŠ
Nevertheless, the Maoists in Nepal have waged a
brave and successful struggle against the
monarchy. Right now, in India, the Maoists and
the various Marxist-Leninist groups are leading
the fight against immense injustice here. They
are fighting not just the State, but feudal
landlords and their armed militias. They are the
only people who are making a dent. And I admire
that. It may well be that when they come to
power, they will, as you say, be brutal, unjust
and autocratic, or even worse than the present
government. Maybe, but I'm not prepared to assume
that in advance. If they are, we'll have to fight
them too. And most likely someone like myself
will be the first person they'll string up from
the nearest tree - but right now, it is important
to acknowledge that they are bearing the brunt of
being at the forefront of resistance. Many of us
are in a position where we are beginning to align
ourselves on the side of those who we know have
no place for us in their religious or ideological
imagination. It's true that everybody changes
radically when they come to power - look at
Mandela's anc. Corrupt, capitalist, bowing to the
imf, driving the poor out of their homes -
honouring Suharto, the killer of hundreds of
thousands of Indonesian Communists, with South
Africa's highest civilian award. Who would have
thought it could happen? But does this mean South
Africans should have backed away from the
struggle against apartheid? Or that they should
regret it now? Does it mean Algeria should have
remained a French colony, that Kashmiris, Iraqis
and Palestinians should accept military
occupation? That people whose dignity is being
assaulted should give up the fight because they
can't find saints to lead them into battle?

Is there a communication breakdown in our society?

Yes.

24 Mar 2007 03:46:20 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Statement released by Prabhat Patnaik

				A STATEMENT

We the undersigned, who have long been associated
with the Left movement in the country, feel
deeply pained and anguished by the loss of lives
and injuries suffered during the police action in
Nandigram on March 14. Nobody belonging to the
Left would ever justify repressive action against
peasants or workers who are the basic classes of
the Left. The tragedy at Nandigram on March 14
was an entirely unanticipated, unjustified and
unfortunate turn of events, whose exact origin
and course should be established through a proper
inquiry. The Left Front government meanwhile has
announced the removal of the police force from
Nandigram, has reiterated its policy that no land
will be acquired for industrial purposes without
the consent of the peasants and other people
concerned, has put on hold all land acquisition,
and has put a halt to the construction of SEZs
until the Central legislation on SEZs itself, to
which the Left has always been opposed, is
suitably amended. And the CPI(M), the leading
partner of the Left Front, has asked for a
judicial inquiry into the tragedy. Under these
circumstances, and in view of the fact that the
state government has committed itself to
recompensing the families of the victims, all
efforts must be made so that tension subsides and
normalcy returns to the area, allowing the
numerous refugees, who have been driven out from
there and living in makeshift camps, to return
home. We appeal to all concerned not to let the
wounds of Nandigram become festering sores.

Amiya Kumar Bagchi, Professor, Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata.
M.K.Raina, Thetare Activist, Delhi.
Ram Rahman, Freelance Photographer, Delhi.
Malini Bhattacharya, Formerly Professor, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
Utsa Patnaik, Professor, Center for Development
Studies and Planning, JNU, Delhi.
Javeed Alam, Formerly Professor, CIEFL, Hyderabad.
Mihir Bhattacharya, Formerly Professor, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
Jayati Ghosh, Professor, Centre for Economic
Studies and Planning, JNU, New Delhi.
Mohan Rao, Professor, Centre for Social Medicine
and Community Health, JNU, Delhi.
Nasir Tyabji, Centre for Jawaharlal Nehru
Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
Meena Rajyadhyaksha, Department of Sociology, Delhi School of Economics, Delhi.
Praveen Jha, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, JNU, Delhi.
Prabhat Patnaik, Professor, Centre for
Development Studies and Planning, JNU,  Delhi.
Teesta Seetalvad, Co-editor Communalism Combat, Mumbai
D.N.Jha, Former Professor, Department of History, Delhi University, Delhi.
Ruchira Gupta, Consultant UNICEF

Released by Prabhat Patnaik
Tel-26163541

Khaleej Times

LEARNING NANDIGRAM LESSONS
by Praful Bidwai

WEST Bengal's Left Front, led by the Communist
Party of India-Marxist (CPM), has barely pulled
back from a potentially self-destructive disaster
following the Nandigram carnage by adopting an
8-point agreement.

This acknowledges that the March 14 Nandigram
incident, in which 14 people were gunned down,
"was tragic" and won't be repeated; the
government "will not acquire any land in
Nandigram for any industry" and the police "will
be withdrawn in phases".

The agreement says the Front's partners will
"meet more frequently" to take "all important
political decisions... after discussion."

The agreement became possible primarily because
of the public outrage Nandigram caused and the
tough stand taken by the CPM's main
partners-Communist Party of India, Forward Bloc,
and Revolutionary Socialist Party. They condemned
the police firing as undemocratic and "brutal and
barbaric", and threatened to withdraw from the
government.

Critical here was the role of the Grand Old Man
of Bengal politics, former Chief Minister Jyoti
Basu. He said the CPM is running "one-party rule
in this state. It doesn't look like a coalition
government at all..." He reprimanded Chief
Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, and told the
Front's non-CPM leaders to quit if the CPM
doesn't change course.

The agreement represents a victory for the people
- and forces of sanity. The victory was costly.
And yet, it doesn't settle all issues: Will the
Front completely abandon its Special Economic
Zones (SEZs) policy? Will it refuse any truck
with Indonesia's Salim group - a front for the
super-corrupt Suharto family-for whom 10,000
acres was to be acquired in Nandigram?

Will it revise Bhattacharjee's
"industrialisation-at-any-cost" orientation, with
total disregard for social and environmental
consequences? And will the CPM consult its allies
on policy issues in advance, rather than throw
the weight of its 176 seats in the 294-member
Assembly, against their 51 seats?

It's necessary to place Nandigram in context. The
immediate cause of the violence there wasn't land
acquisition, put on hold after popular protests
in January. It was the CPM's attempt to regain
control of the area for its "cadres". The
"cadres" brook no challenge to their power. But
on January 7, they faced the people's anger. Many
were driven out. They were itching to come back.

Nandigram wasn't solely a fight between the CPM
and assorted Opposition groups, including the
Right-wing, thuggish Trinamool Congress, backed
by the Jamiat-Ulema-e-Hind and other factions,
which had collected arms and blockaded the area.
Like the TMC, the CPM too employed strong-arm
methods, revealed by the arrest of 10 of its
cadres. The blockade was a spontaneous people's
initiative. As CPM general secretary Prakash
Karat admitted, the local "people turned against
us."

The plain truth is, CPM apparatchiks instigated
Black Wednesday's operation to settle scores in
the "cadres'" favour by using the state's might.
They imposed collective punishment, an obnoxious
method, on the residents.

The 4,000-strong police didn't use non-lethal
anti-riot water cannons, rubber bullets and smoke
grenades until their utility was exhausted-as
mandated by police manuals.

The police shot to kill. Most bullet injuries
were above the waist level. Many people were shot
in the back. At Bhangabera Bridge, the police
pumped 500 bullets into 2,000 people.

The Central Bureau of Investigation has gathered
evidence that CPM "cadres" also fired into the
crowd, many disguised in police uniform. It
recovered 500 bullets from them. It also found a
657 metre-long "blood trail", which suggests "a
gunny-bag holding a body was being dragged".

It will take long to heal the wounds of
Nandigram. It's worst outrage to have occurred
under Left Front rule in West Bengal. Even Karat
concedes that the firing was "disapproved by the
people of West Bengal... [who] have a high
democratic consciousness."

The pivotal question is whether the CPM will
learn the right lessons from Nandigram. Or else,
it'll forfeit its greatest gains, which have
ensured its victory in election after consecutive
election for three decades - a record unmatched
in any democracy.

Sadly, Bhattacharjee hasn't lost any of his zeal
for "industrialisation-at-any-cost".
Bhattacharjee has a crude, dogmatic view of
history, which sees industrialisation of any kind
as progress. He fails to understand that
corporate-led neoliberal industrialisation
doesn't produce the collective Blue-collar worker
(Marx's proletarian) and that it lacks the
employment and social potential of classical
capitalism. Rather, it bases itself upon
Whiter-collar workers, is extremely
capital-intensive, and creates enclave-based
growth.

Neoliberal industrialisation involves capital
accumulation through expropriation of
livelihoods. A progressive state must not condone
it; rather, it should discipline and regulate
capitalism in the interests of society.

But for Bhattacharjee, the Tata car plant at
Singur, being built on a neoliberal pattern, is
the model. In reality, it's a stark case of crony
capitalism, with subsidies equalling a fourth of
its capital costs! It's also an instance of
elitist, socially inappropriate, high-pollution
industrialisation.

Bhattacharjee is also an unreconstructed believer
in "stages" of historical development. For him,
semi-feudal India must first achieve capitalism
and then attempt socialist reform. He says he's
working strictly within "a capitalist framework".

This view severely underestimates the
possibilities for social transformation available
within India's backward capitalism and for
progress towards a more just society free of
social bondage and economic serfdom.

For Bhattacharjee, the ideal model to follow is
China, with its giant SEZs like Shenzen,
unfettered freedom for multinational capital, and
legalisation of private property. He should know
better.

Shenzen is a workers' nightmare, where no labour
rights exist. The mere loss of an identity card
can reduce workers to destitution. Chinese
vice-minister Chen Changzhi has just revealed
that 80 per cent of the 1.84 million hectares of
farmland earmarked for industrial development was
illegally acquired.

The Left, especially the CPM, must decide whether
it wants to fight for socialism, or merely manage
capitalism Chinese-style, however honestly. If it
chooses the second option, it will go into
historic decline. It must also make a decisive
break with the undemocratic organisational
culture it has inherited, which punishes
dissidence and encourages a
"my-party-right-or-wrong" attitude.

Unless the Left undertakes ruthless
self-criticism, it can't effect course correction.

[ An Information booklet (in English and Hindi)
on SEZs prepared for the National Kisan Rally on
March 23, 2007 in New Delhi ]

SEZ'S AND LAND ACQUISITION:
Factsheet for an unconstitutional economic policy

by Citizens Research Collective
http://www.sacw.net/Nation/sezland_eng.pdf

SEZ AUR BHOOMI ADHIGRAHAN (HINDI VERSION)

by Citizens Research Collective
http://www.sacw.net/Nation/sezland_hindi.pdf

http://www.sacw.net/DC/CommunalismCollection/ArticlesArchive/avhrsMarch07.html

Antarik Visthapit Hak Rakshak Samiti
Press Note
March 23, 2007

RESPONSE TO THE GUJARAT RELIEF PACKAGE ANNOUNCED BY CENTRAL GOVERNMENT

As recognition of the continued suffering of the
survivors of the Gujarat carnage in 2002, and as
a statement of reparation, the Central
Government's announcement of a relief and
rehabilitation package of 106.57 crores, though
modest, is long overdue and welcome. Regrettably
the package focuses on ex-gratia payments for
those who died, on injury compensation, and to a
lesser extent on compensation for damage to
residential and some commercial properties. We
urge the Central Government to expand the scope
of the package to bring into its framework the
rights to relief, rehabilitation, and reparation
for the thousands who still remain internally
displaced due to the violence in 2002, and who
have really been in the forefront of this latest
chapter in the struggle for recognition.
In recent months, the survivors of the Gujarat
carnage have been bringing to public attention
the continued internal displacement of over
25,000 Gujarati Muslims, who still live scattered
across 7 districts in Gujarat in approximately 69
shabby colonies entirely constructed by NGOs.
They live without any amenities or livelihood
opportunities because they cannot return to their
homes. Yet, their existence continues to be
denied by the State Government.
A complaint seeking relief and reparations for
these 5,000 families was filed with the National
Commission for Minorities (NCM) in August 2006.
In October 2006 the NCM visited 17 of these
colonies. The NCM's report finding the State
Government guilty of blatant neglect was a
welcome sign that at least at the Centre there
was some recognition of the rights of this
internally displaced population. The NCM report
had made the following key recommendations:
The NCM would like to make three sets of
recommendations to the State Government and
Central Government to improve the lot of the
residents of the make-shift camps. These include
(1) Basic amenities and livelihood issues (2)
Central Government Economic Package (3) National
Policy on Rehabilitation and Internally Displaced
due to violence.

1 Basic Amenities and Livelihood in Rehabilitation Colonies

Basic amenities must be provided in the camps of
displaced victims. These would cover provisions
of safe drinking water, street lights, approach
roads etc. This should be done by the State
Government.

Government of India should agree for a period of
five years until they continue to live in the
camps, whichever is earlier, all the inhabitants
of such camps should be given BPL ration cards
without going through the formalities laid down
by the Government for the issue of such cards.
Similarly, widows should be allowed to claim
their pension even if they have not applied
within two years or even if they have sons above
the age of 18 years.

The State Government should prepare a special
economic package for those displaced by the
violence with special focus on livelihood issues.
For the self employed special efforts should be
made to provide inputs like easy credits, raw
material and marketing assistance. We strongly
believe that this is a vital element in the
rehabilitation scenario and that for it to be
successfully implemented, NGOs should be involved
in it.

Wherever possible the State should take advantage
of the National Rural Employment Guarantee
Programme to cover able bodied people in these
camps and give them employment.

Government of India should return the amount of
Rs. 19.10 crores given back by the Government of
Gujarat. The State Government should be asked to
cover more beneficiaries under the schemes in an
attempt to utilise the entire sum.

There should be a monitoring committee consisting
of representatives of State Government and Civil
Society, which will be charged with the
responsibility of ensuring that the schemes
described above are properly implemented.

2 A Special Economic Package for Rehabilitation
of Internally Displaced Muslim families in Gujarat

There is an urgent need for the Central
Government to design and implement an immediate
special economic package for rehabilitation of
internally displaced Muslim families in Gujarat.
The package must include a set of inputs that
would address the totality of livelihood
concerns. In particular attention must be paid to
availability of credit, raw material and
marketing support, where necessary, with the help
of NGOs.

3 National Policy on Internal Displaced due to Violence

There is a need to design a national policy on
internal displacement due to the violence.
Populations displaced due to sectarian, ethnic or
communal violence should not be left to suffer
for years together due to the lack of a policy
and absence of justiciable frame-work of
entitlements.

The preamble of the new Draft National
Rehabilitation Policy 2006, (NRP 2006) which
incorporates recommendations made by the National
Advisory Council, provides a precedent and
sensitive understanding of how displacement due
to any reason affects people. It describes
displacement in the following terms, "Š
displacement of people, depriving them of their
land, livelihood and shelter, restricting their
access to traditional resource basis and
uprooting them from their socio-cultural
environment. These have traumatic psychological
and socio-cultural consequences on the displaced
populationŠ" However, NRP 2006 pertains only to
land displacement due to development imperatives.
When displacement takes place due to mass
violence, entailing loss of life, property,
family and loved ones and the total destruction
of the fabric of a socio-economic and cultural
community, then the rehabilitation of the
internally displaced populations calls for a new
framework of understanding.

When displacement takes place under conditions of
fear and under constant direct threat of
violation of Article 21 of the Constitution, the
trauma and conditions under which survivors face
the future is considerably worsened. Further,
when the threat of violence is perceived to be
continuing (as it currently is in the State of
Gujarat), in the absence of justice and in a
situation of discrimination and exclusion, the
protection of people's constitutional rights can
only be sought through a national policy which
clearly lays out a non-negotiable framework of
entitlements. Any national policy on internal
displacement due to violence must be designed to
include provisions for immediate compensation and
rehabilitation. A national policy on internal
displacement due to violence must further take
into account the displaced population's
aspirations of 'return to their home' and make
provisions to facilitate the return, if it is
possible under conditions of safety and security,
and to restore the displaced families to their
original conditions of living.

A national policy on internal displacement due to
violence must also lay down specified time frames
for implementation of a rehabilitation plan, as
well as include an effective grievance redresal
and monitoring mechanism.

In addition, activists also made representations
to the Prime Minister seeking a package of
rehabilitation for the internally displaced.
Further, in the last six months internally
displaced people from the 69 colonies have
organised themselves into the Antarik Visthapit
Hak Rakshak Samiti (Committee of the Internally
Displaced) to press for their demands. The
Central's Government's package comes in response
to all these efforts. As such we urge the
Government to fully implement the recommendations
of the NCM's report.

Yusuf Shaikh - 09898990823
(Convenor, Antarik Visthapit Hak Rakshak Samiti, Gujarat)
Gagan Sethi, Janvikas, Ahmedabad- 09824023209
Shabnam Hashmi, Anhad, Delhi- 9811807558
Farah Naqvi, Writer & Activist, Delhi- 9811105521

o o o

http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/03/revisiting-babri.html

(Issues in Secular Politics
March 2007 II)

REVISITING BABRI

by Ram Puniyani

This 6th Dec., it will be 15 years when Babri
Mosque was demolished by the RSS combine in a
well coordinated operation. When Babri was being
demolished, it was not just demolition of a
mosque and hurting the sentiments of largest
minority in the country, it was also a blow to
the democratic Indian ethos. It was a complex
process and multiple factors were involved. Who
is to be blamed for the whole episode needs to be
understood in the perspective of the political
factors unleashed by sectarian politics. Rahul
Gandhi recently (March 2007) stated that had
Gandhi family person been around, meaning
especially Rajiv Gandhi; the Masjid could not
have been demolished. It is one of the big ifs of
history.

That the then Prime Minister Narsimha Rao aided
the demolition is beyond any shadow of doubt.
Some have gone to the extent of saying that RSS
and Rao were in collusion, some have gone to the
extent of saying that Rao was wearing Khaki
shorts underneath his dhoti, like many other
Congressmen, who are ideologically compromised
and are in Congress mainly to enjoy the fruits of
power. They have nothing whatsoever to do with
the values which were the dominant part of
Congress, the values which had lions share in
leading the struggle for India's independence.
While the political phenomena have their own
logic, the values held by the leaders matter a
lot. And it is here that Rao was aiding the RSS
project of deepening the politics of hate in
India.

Let us recapitulate the events as they unfolded
in the decade of eighties in order to understand
the process of demolition. It was mainly a
reflection of the rising clout of RSS. Beginning
with 1980s one witnessed the discomfort in the
sections of middle class Hindus, who saw the
'disturbing' change in the form of dalits coming
to the fore, the women coming out from the four
walls of the house and making their presence felt
in the social sphere. Both these sections of
society, living as subordinate and subjugated
groups for centuries saw the possibility of
striving for equality, as enshrined in Indian
constitution. This subtle but sure phenomenon of
Indian society was unacceptable to the entrenched
affluent middle classes. Their discomfort with
this change came up in the form of opposition to
reservations for dalits, Gujarat anti Dalit riots
1981 and Gujarat Anti OBC/ dalit riots of 1986,
being just a manifestation of the same.

It is during this period that communal
polarization started coming up and the case of
Shah Bano acted as a trigger for consolidation of
the RSS supporters. This time Rajiv Gandhi's lack
of grooming in the deeper understanding in
politics, led him to bypass the court judgment.
This in turn was used as a pretext for polarizing
of Hindu upper middle classes under the
leadership of Sangh combine. This act of Rajiv
Gandhi was ‘successfully' propagated as
appeasement of minorities and pseudo secularism.
These formulations were lapped up by the dominant
middle classes, who started responding more and
more to Yatras and other VHP initiated campaigns.
After playing this ‘Muslim card' the immature
Congress leadership decided to play the Hindu
card by yielding to the pressure of BJP/VHP and
company for getting the locks of Babri opened and
later permitting Shilaynyas for Ram temple. This
pressure of Hindu rightwing was also discernible
when Rajiv launched the campaign for 1989
elections on the plank of Ram Rajya. These came
in handy to Hindu consolidation, which later got
further boost when V.P. Singh, for his own
compulsions, decided to implement Mandal. To
bypass Mandal BJP resorted to intensify Yatras,
identity based politics. Keeping electoral
compulsions in mind, BJP's politics revolved
around Ram Temple as its central agenda.
Incidentally Ram temple was no where on the
agenda of BJP, which was harping on Gandhian
socialism, till then. Its discovery that Lord Ram
can be of great help in garnering votes led it to
put most of its eggs in the basket of the
campaign and conspiracy to destroy the Babri
Mosque.

Ram temple issue became the symbol of assertion
of affluent Hindutva politics in opposition to
the democratic values. Identity, especially
religious one, came up in a big way and waylaid
the real issues of the poor and struggling
majority of Hindus as well as other sections of
society. As Congress, after Nehru's death, had
already been open to heavy compromises on the
issue of secularism, a fertile ground was already
there starting from Indira Gandhi to undermine
the secular values and to merely pay lip service
to secularism, to use Muslims only as vote banks.
It is under these circumstances that Narsimha Rao
could enjoy his siesta when the shovels and
trishuls of RSS combine were piercing Indian
constitution, when Bari was being mauled by the
saffron foot soldiers. These foot soldiers were
indoctrinated by the ideology of Hate Muslim,
Babar as the invader, the Muslims as destroyers
of temples and killers of our mother cow. It was
the most clever and wily move by Brahminical
politics to use the down trodden to hoist the
saffron flag atop Babri and to herald the
political assertion of Manusmriti's values in the
garb of Hindu glory. While the leadership wanting
to impose Hindu Rashtra, ignited and incited, the
sections of poor community acted as the foot
soldiers behaving as if under trance, under the
spell of opium of religious identity.

Coming to the events, National Integration
Council concerned with the events took the
promise from UP chief minister Kalyan Sing of BJP
that he is under constitutional obligation to
protect the mosque. The same Kalyan Singh later
called it as a matter of honor for him to have
supervised the demolition. It is another matter
that as a weather cock he kept changing his
versions from glory to shame, depending on the
political contingencies. He was strategically
located as UP chief minister. State Government
was responsible for supervising law and order.
The RSS combine mobilized crowds, which also
included some of those elements that were
specially trained for the task of demolition. It
is unlikely that the intelligence agencies would
have missed it. Rao played the ideal foil to
these designs and not only during demolition but
also prior to that when the heat was building up,
cleverly slept over the build up for demolition.
He had the ‘ideal' home minister in the form of
Shakar Rao Chavan, who had no mean role in aiding
the process of demolition.

While one does concede that probably Rao was the
worst person to be in the seat of power, one also
notes that with the rot in which Congress had
been falling at ideological level, how much any
body else could have been able to protect the
mosque is not clear. Rajiv himself had blundered
on various secular issues all through. Anti Sikh
pogrom in Delhi, opening the doors of Masjid and
Ram Shila pujan, all these showed that
irrespective of his intentions he had no
ideological tools to protect the Babri. One may
partly grant Rahul Gandhi's point, but one must
look at the deeper societal processes and the
will of the leadership to stand for values even
at the cost of power. While currently there are
some encouraging signs from the Congress top
leadership on the issue of secularism, that's not
only inadequate, it can not hold the national
together on the grounds of national community.
Even Rahul Gandhi's own statement betrays the
lack of political training amongst the leadership
of Congress in general and all non BJP parties in
particular. While BJP has the heavy influx of RSS
trained volunteers, the one's trained in the
ideology of Hate other, in the ideology of Hindu
nation disguised as nationalism.

Have the parties like Congress tried to
introspect as to what are the ideas which its
cadre is having? With the current ideological
frame of its workers it cannot be trusted to
uphold the torch of values of Gandhi-Nehru i.e.
freedom movement. As such, Rahul Gandhi's
statement grasps just a minor part of the
problem. For the nation, question is not just of
this or that leader but of the values of Indian
Constitution. It is not just a matter of Rao
versus Rajiv, but of democracy versus Hindu
Rashtra. For the nation the issue is of
undertaking political steps which should wean us
away from identity politics to the issues of
people, the issue between democratic nationalism
and pseudo i.e. Hindu nationalism. The issue
relates to address the concerns related to bread
butter, shelter, employment, health and education
and bypassing the agenda set by RSS, the agenda
of temples and similar emotive campaigns.

______

[6]   [On the night of 25th March 1971 the
operation 'search light' was launched by the
Pakistan army, as the initial step in the
genocide of Bengalis, soldiers attacked Dhaka
University. On the 26th March 1971 Sheikh Mujib
declared independence . . .]

o o o

SAN-Feature Service
March 23, 2007

BOOK REVIEW:  THE LIFE AND TRIUMPH OF A COLOSSUS: SHEIKH MUJIB RE-VISITED

by Gowher Rizvi

SAN-Feature Service : The liberation of
Bangladesh was by any standards a triumph in
human history. It is the story of unarmed
civilians ? women and men, girls and boys, young
and old ? who stood up against the most brutal
and lethally armed Pakistani military and won
their freedom against all odds. It was for the
first in the history of the post-colonial world
that the people of a country had successfully
waged a liberation war to create an independent
state of their own.

The creation of Bangladesh was also a triumph of
the democratic spirit and resolve of the people
who were prepared to make supreme sacrifices in
order to create a homeland in which they could
speak their language, embrace their culture, and
live in dignity - free from religious bigotry and
alien exploitation.

And yet that proud history of the people of
Bangladesh has been lost in the quagmire of
opportunism and revisionist history where even
the status and the role of the founder of the
country have been contested. It is therefore
hardly surprising that after more than three
decades of independence there is neither an
objective study of the history of Bangladesh nor
a biography of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the
Bangbandhu, who not only successfully led his
people to freedom but also instilled in them a
pride in their Bangali identity, stirred an
irresistible national consciousness and the
vision for a socially just, secular and
democratic society.
Ambassador Sayyid A. Karim's recently published book, Sheikh Mujib:
Triumph and Tragedy, is an important contribution
towards putting in perspective our history and
the role of the founding father. The author
acknowledges that writing an objective biography
of a man larger than life is not easy, and in a
society where myths and realities intermingle,
and where scribes for hire have done much to
distort facts, the task of disentangling the
truth from fiction could not have been easy.

Nevertheless despite the author's modesty, this
is a landmark publication and will long be
celebrated as a triumph of scholarship, judicious
and even-handed use of evidence, and a compelling
narrative that is marked by peaks of human
endeavors and sacrifices, and equally deep
troughs of depraved and sacrilegious actions that
have sullied the blood of the martyrs. The
central thrust of this study is unambiguous ?
there would have been no Bangladesh without
Sheikh Mujib.

Mujib was neither a deep thinker, nor an academic
theoretician; still less, he was not an
ideologue. He was an instinctive and an intuitive
leader, a person who felt deeply and empathized
with the sufferings of his people, and was most
single minded in his pursuit of his goal of
justice for his people. He believed with all his
being in the wisdom and the genius of the people
and it was that belief that instilled in him a
belief and commitment in democracy that remained
integral to his every action. Growing up rural
Bengal he had experienced from a very early life
both the romance and beauty of the countryside
and also the poverty, deprivation and the
exploitation of the peasants. His childhood
experience in Gopalganj had also instilled in him
a non-sectarian and secular outlook. He could not
fail to understand that the poor Muslim and Hindu
peasants suffered equally from the pangs of
hunger, deprivation and humiliation; and the
Hindu landlord was no less exploitative of the
Hindu peasants than he was of the Muslims.

It was therefore not surprising that when Mujib
joined the Pakistan movement of the Muslim
League, he was less concerned with the creation
of a separate homeland for the Muslims but rather
viewed the movement as a way to break out of the
stranglehold of exploitative relationship between
the landlords and the peasants and a way of
bringing prosperity to the people.
However campaigning for the Muslim League in the
1946 elections was politically his most formative
experience. He came in contact with Husseyn
Shaheed Suhrawardy, who became his life long
political mentor and instilled in him a finer
understanding of democratic institutions and
processes. And no less importantly Mujib also
discovered during the campaign his own
instinctive empathy for the people and a belief
in the wisdom of the so-called 'ordinary people'.

Democracy became an article of faith ? a faith that he kept until his death.
In later life when ever he was asked about his
strengths and weaknesses, he invariably replied:
'My strength is my love for the people; and my
weakness is that I love them too much." These
words were not empty rhetoric but were his deeply
held creed, an article of faith that he carried
to his grave. Even in his last year when he
received repeated intelligence of plots to
assassinate him, including an unambiguous warning
from Mrs. Gandhi, he dismissed the warnings.  "My
people are my children ? I love them and they
love me."
Never in his life, not even as the prime minister
did Mujib seek to protect himself behind a
security wall and remained the most accessible
leader ever.

Mujib's disillusionment with Pakistan came
predictably and swiftly. It became obvious that
not only had the Bangalis merely transposed one
set of exploitative rulers with another but also
under the new dispensation they would be denied
the right to their language and culture, and
their right to choose a government through a
democratic process. And when Mr. Jinnah declared:
'let me make it very clear to you that the state
language is going to be Urdu and no other
language. Anyone who is trying to mislead you is
really the enemy of Pakistan.' The gauntlet had
been thrown at the Bangalis and Mujib's struggle
was defined.  He would not only have to liberate
the Bangalis from exploitation of the Punjabis
but also have to restore democratic governance
and safeguard the autonomy of the provinces so
that the people could protect their language and
culture. It was a struggle for democracy, for
social justice and for a way of life.

The new rulers of Pakistan had plenty of reasons
to fear democracy and the popular will. In the
first place the rulers of Pakistan were mostly
migrants from India who lacked both a
constituency of their own and a party
organization in their new country. And second, in
any democratically elected government the people
of East Pakistan, who constituted the majority of
Pakistan's population, would dominate government.
This ruled out both a popular election and
democratic governance.
The unrepresentative and unpopular politicians
combined forces with the Punjabi-dominated
civil-military bureaucracy to prevent a general
election. The military intervened in 1958, just
months before the general election was scheduled.
It was therefore not a coincidence that Pakistan
could not frame its constitution for nearly 10
years and then only to abrogate it within two
years; it was not circumstances that prevented
Pakistan from holding its first election for
almost two decades; nor was it surprising that in
the first ever general election that the people
of Bangladesh should assert their popular
sovereignty.

And that election produced precisely the results
they had feared most ?  a Bangali majority.
The real tragedy is that in trying to resist the
will of the people and prevent the inevitable
triumph of democracy, the Pakistani rulers lost
half of the country and unleashed savage
brutalities of the kind until then only
associated with the holocaust in Europe; and six
decades after independence they continue to be
haunted by the ghosts of military dictatorship.

To go back to our story, the military rulers of
Pakistan were remarkably successful in co-opting
most of the leaders in West Pakistan and also
many of the Bangalis. However two leaders ?
Suhrawardy and Mujib who enjoyed a strong popular
base? could neither be bought out nor
intimidated. Suhrawardy had a mass following in
both wings of Pakistan and was widely respected
and admired by politicians of all the parties for
his political acumen, parliamentary skills and a
capacity for building democratic consensus. At
first Ayub tried to bar him from politics through
trumped up charges; and when that failed to
stick, he locked him up in prison. Suhrawardy's
premature death (in Beirut in circumstances that
have not been explained and which points to
Ayub's involvement) brought intense relief to
Ayub. He now had only Mujib to reckon with.
Mujib had inherited Suhrawardy's mantle, but
unlike his mentor, he had come to the conclusion
that the salvation on the Bangalis lay in
securing the maximum autonomy for the provinces
so as to minimize the interference of the Punjabi
dominated civil-military federal bureaucracy.
Between 1958 and 1969, Sheikh Mujib spent more
time inside Pakistani jails on trumped up charges
than outside.  But whenever he was bailed out by
the order of the courts, he used the opportunity
to travel the length and breadth of Bangladesh to
mobilize the people in support of his demand for
autonomy. Such was his organizing talent that
every village in Bangladesh flew the flag of
Awami League and his emergence as Bangabandhu was
never in doubt again.

The rise of Mujib invariably perturbed Ayub and
every means was deployed to put an end to Mujib ?
both politically and physically. It was this
determination that drove the military to
implicate Mujib in the most bizarre Agartala
conspiracy case. Mr. Karim has provided some
unique insights as to what happened. A mid-level
Bangali officer in the Pakistan Navy, Lt.
Commander Muazzam Hussain, discontented with
discriminatory treatment of the Bengalis in the
armed forces had planned an armed uprising; and
sought to establish contact with Mujib on a
number of occasions between 1964 and 1966. Mujib,
who was a democrat to the core and deeply
distrusted the involvement of the military ?
Bangali or Pakistani ? in politics; and he
roundly snubbed the conspirators. The
conspirators then tried to secure the help of Mr.
Ghaffar Chowdhury, an eminent journalist, a
stalwart of the language movement and a close
friend of Sheikh Mujib, to act as an intermediary
between them and Mujib. Mujib's response,
according to Ghaffar, was unequivocal and one of
outrage:
'I know him [Muazzam]. I also know all about his
proposal. He has recently been hobnobbing with
Manik Chowdhury. I have told Manik not to have
anything to do with this madness. I would advise
you not to get involved in it. Our struggle is
for the establishment of democracy and the
realization of autonomy for the people of
Bangladesh. I have always fought against the
Pakistani military junta. It is not the purpose
of my movement to replace it with a Bengali
military junta.' (Pp141 -42)

Indeed Mujib had long cherished an autonomous or
independent Bangladesh but his route was through
electoral politics and the mobilization of the
people. He had no time for the military, even if
they were Bangali, interfering in politics. But
ironically the paranoid military rulers had been
thinking of what Mujib had refused to
contemplate. In 1966 the Muazzam's conspiracy was
discovered and all those involved were arrested
and put on trial. Even though there was not an
iota of evidence to suggest Mujib's involvement
in the conspiracy, the military rulers
nevertheless saw in it a heaven sent opportunity
to implicate Mujib. By depicting Mujib as an
Indian agent, the military had hoped to discredit
Mujib and then execute him for treason. Mujib was
named as the primary accused.
The farcical trial that followed demonstrated the
hollowness of the case and thereby provoked a
huge outburst of public support, so much so that
there was a real possibility that demonstrators
would storm the cantonment (where Mujib was being
held) and free him. The trial was abandoned and
Mujib came out as the triumphant hero of his
people.
However, as Karim points out, there was a sting in the tail.

Although Mujib had no role in the conspiracy for
which he was implicated ?he had in fact tried to
dampen the efforts of the rebellious naval
officers - but Mujib had in fact undertaken a
daring journey to India. In a journey reminiscent
of another great Bangali, Netaji Subhas Chandra
Bose ? who had escaped from house arrest and made
a daring journey that took him first to
Afghanistan and thence to Germany and Japan to
mobilize support for India's struggle against
British rule ?
Mujib had also made a clandestine visit to India.
The escapade was fraught with danger and
considerable hardships. The purpose of Mujib's
visit to India was to enlist the Indian
governments help to set up a radio transmitter to
counter the propaganda of the Pakistan radio.
Nothing appears to have come out of that visit.
The Pakistan intelligence had no inkling of
Mujib's visit to India when they conveniently
implicated him in the Agartala conspiracy case!

The events that followed the collapse of the
Agartala conspiracy case was like a Greek
tragedy. The end could be foreseen but faced with
obstinate determination of the Pakistani
civil-military bureaucracy, and the ruthless
manipulation of the ambitious Bhutto, the tragedy
could not be prevented. Faced with a popular
uprising that could not be contained by force,
Ayub abdicated. But he left the way he came ?  by
breaching the constitution. Instead of handing
over the power to the Speaker of the National
Assembly, he handed it to the military.  His
successor, Yahya Khan, was not only a drunk and a
bluff but also hopelessly incompetent. He allowed
elections but without any desire to transfer the
power to the representatives of the people. He
unleashed the most savage genocide in which more
than a million innocent civilians were killed but
failed to prevent the inevitable. The rest is
history and is well known.

Karim's book, however, sheds unflattering light
on the role of Ziaur Rahman. Zia was a major in
the Pakistan army in 1971 and posted in
Chittagong. According to the author he not only
remained loyal to the Pakistan regime to the end;
but appears to have been indifferent to the
Bangali cause. When Captain Rafiqul Islam of East
Pakistan Rifles, who under instructions from the
local Awami League leader, had started rounding
up the Pakistani soldiers, apparently Zia tried
to dissuade him by ordering Rafiq to 'stop [his]r
men from taking action'.

Zia's tale of ignominy continued:
'While Rafique was boldly confronting Pakistani
troops, Zia was on his way to the port to unload
arms and ammunition from M.V. Swat and bring them
to the cantonment. 'While Zia was loyally doing
his duty, Pakistan troops suddenly attacked the
Bengali soldiers of the East Bengal Regimental
Center' ? taken by surprise most of them were
massacred in their bed around midnight including
the Commanding Officer M.R.  Chowdhury'. Even
when Pakistan army had unleashed its attack on
the Bangali soldiers, Zia was apparently at work
in the jetty supervising the unloading of the
weapons. It was only after he was warned by Capt
Khalikuzzaman, that Zia's own life was in danger
that he was stirred into action. But here too he
dithered. Rather than taking a stand in
Chittagong port and fighting out the Pakistan
forces, as suggested by Rafique, Zia decided to
move out of the barracks with his troops and fled
to Kalurghat across the river. Not only he flee
himself but he also ordered the EPR troops to
follow him and thus left Rafique to fight the
Pakistani's alone. 'An opportunity to inflict a
crushing defeat on Pakistani troops clinging on
their strong points in Chittagong was thus lost.'
(202)
Sadly Zia's story of does not get any better even
after fleeing from Chittagong. On March 26, after
the Pakistan army launched its attack on Dhaka ,
Moinul Alam communicated a message purportedly
from Sheikh Mujib to the Awami League leaders in
Chittagong:
'Message to the people of the Bangladesh and to
the people of the world. Rajarbagh police camp
and Pelham EPR suddenly attacked by Pak arm at
2400 hours. Thousands of people killed. Fierce
fighting going on. Appeal to the world for help
in freedom struggle. Resist by all means. May
Allah with you. Joi Bangla.'

The message was broadcast over Radio Pakistan in
Kalurghat and read by M.A. Hannan, the local
leader of the Awami League and became the call
for the war of liberation. However, on March 27,
Zia arrived with his troops in Kalurghat, he went
on the air as the self-styled 'President of
Bangladesh' and called 'on the people to fight
the Pakistan'.  However, he was dissuaded from
styling himself as the president by the local
Awami League leaders as that would give the
appearance of a 'military coup'; and in a second
speech Zia corrected himself and spoke 'on behalf
of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman'. This
episode, innocuous on its own, nevertheless
showed that Zia was seething with ambitions and
his radio speech in Kalurghat was an ominous
indication of things to come. It is not
surprising that fours year later in 1975 the
would-be-assassins of Sheikh Mujib should seek
him out as their leader. Zia gave his blessings
to the conspirators but to preserve his
deniability he forbade them from contacting him
again. As in 1971, so also in 1975, Zia would run
with the hare and hunt with the hounds.

Karim has offered some insightful explanations as
to Mujib's motives in launching single party
BAKSAL (Bangladesh Krishak Sramik Awami League)
to replace the multiparty democracy in
Bangladesh. No authoritative account of what
motivated Mujib to turn his back on multi-party
parliamentary democracy in favor of a single
party presidential government is available as
yet. Dr. Kamal Hossain, who as the minister for
parliamentary affairs, had drafted Bangldesh's
first constitution was abroad on sabbatical and
was out of the loop; Mr. Tajuddin Ahmed had left
the cabinet and leading a private life; nor does
it seem that Mujib had taken any of his cabinet
colleagues or close associates into confidence;
and it seems even Begum Mujib was taken unaware
by her husband's move. Karim has tried to piece
the story from numerous sources and provides by
far the most convincing explanation of Sheikh
Mujib's strategy.
According to the author, Mujib had watched for
some time how the various political parties and
groups representing narrow interests were tearing
apart the fabric of the society. It was also
during this time that Mujib had come into contact
with the Tanzanian President Nyerere at the
Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings (CHOGM)
and developed a deep friendship and admiration
for Nyerere.

Mujib was impressed by the Tanzanian model of a
single party system and immensely admired Julius
Nyerere ? his simplicity, devotion to his people,
and breadth of vision. Nyerere had replaced the
colonial system of administration with a system
which he felt would be more in consonance with
African tradition. He had introduced a
single-party system but as a committed democrat,
Nyerere wanted to work his single party
government within a democratic framework. Within
the one party system he tried to introduce a
unique form of election - rival candidates from
the same party would be allowed to contest in
each constituency. This would facilitate national
reconstruction without the divisions inherent in
a multi-party system.

Behind Mujib's decision to create a single party
democracy, it may be surmised, was a perceptive
analysis of the country's political situation.
Mujib was too shrewd a politician not to realize
that the Awami League was fast losing its
credibility. His hard won image and charisma
might have suffered a bit but on the whole it was
still strong and he was the undisputed father of
the nation. The introduction of the presidential
system with full executive authority in his hands
had a dual purpose. First, he would no longer be
dependent on the parliamentary members of his
party (many of whom had allowed personal
interests to cloud their public duty) to push
through legislations, particularly the much
needed land redistribution program.

Second, the direct election of the president
meant that he could de-link himself from the
liabilities of the party. His popularity would
ensure his won election but e would no longer
have to carry the other members of his party on
his shoulder and then be dragged behind because
of their opposition to his reforms. To many in
his party this was a betrayal; to Mujib this was
the only means to instill responsibility and a
sense of public duty among the politicians.

In creating a one party system, Mujib's motives
were complex and have not been fully understood.
Mujib was not seeking more power. The general
election in 1973 had routed the opposition
parties and the opposition had failed to forge a
united front against him. The Awami League had
already been the de facto single party in the
country and by banning the political parties
Mujib was not trying to wipe out other parties.
In fact far from it. With the creation of BAKSAL,
Mujib was offering an olive branch which would
have enabled the opposition parties to find a
place in the parliament without loss of face.
The purpose was to create a genuine national
unity government under the umbrella of one party.

Mujib described the changes as the 'second
revolution'. His ultimate objective was the
transformation of the society itself ? a second
revolution and unlike the first (a national
revolution), it would be a social revolution and
it would be a revolution from above. The
administration would be decentralized and the
judicial system simplified cooperatives to
improve the lot of the villagers, presidential
form would replace the parliamentary ? signify a
break from the past. The country must become
self-reliant. "A man who lives by begging has no
honor", Mujib declared in Parliament just before
the amendment was voted. "I don't want to be the
leader of a beggar nation.

That is why want my country to be
self-sufficient." [ p.348] On Jan 25 1975 Fourth
Amendment was adopted by Parliament; and on Feb
24 the formation of BAKSAL was announced in which
NAP & Communist Party joined; and Bhashani backed
it without joining. And on March 26 he announced
sweeping reforms: 61 districts with politically
appointed governors aided by an Administrative
Council comprised of peoples representatives.

The Army, Bangladesh Rifles, Rakhi Bahini and the
Police in the districts were placed under the
control of the governor; courts set up in the
thanas, compulsory cooperative societies would be
formed in every village but would not disturb the
ownership of the land but the produce would be
shared. The famine of 1974 had shaken Mujib badly
and had spurred him into drastic action. But in
acting to protect the poor and the disadvantaged,
Mujib had alienated too many interest groups. On
August 15, a fortnight before the new scheme
would come into effect, the assassins struck
brutally massacring the Father of the Nation, the
Bangabandhu and almost his entire extended
family. It was ironic that Mujib was killed not
during the period when bureaucratic mismanagement
had caused popular hardship, but precisely when
he was attempting to introduce reforms that would
shift the political power to the rural areas. Nor
was Mujib killed by an uprising of the starved
and the disadvantaged but by those who were the
beneficiaries of the regime but were now
alienated. To the millions of his people, Mujib
remained the Bangabandhu and the father of the
nation.

A quarter of century has passed since Bangabandhu
death. Yet strangely enough, no one has written a
scholarly or comprehensive biography of Mujib.
Ambassador Karim makes a serious attempt to
provide a balanced and judicious study of the
founder and father of Bangladesh. But it is by no
means a definitive book or a comprehensive
biography of Sheikh Mujib. It is probably the
best single volume study of the emergence of
Bangladesh and the first three years of the
independence. Karim writes with simplicity and
elegance that is rare and makes the book an
irresistible reading.

While the author's admiration for Bangabandhu is
manifest, the book is not an uncritical study and
certainly not a hagiography. It is both a
scholarly, well researched and judiciously
balanced study; and it is also a story that is
well told. But Karim is not a professional
historian and he did not always subject some of
his sources to independent and external scrutiny.
For example he all too easily accepted Anthony
Masceranhas' claim that Sheikh Mujib had confided
to him about preserving 'some link with
Pakistan'; or that he changed his mind after a
telephone conversation with Mrs. Gandhi.
(pp.260-61). There is no external evidence to
corroborate Masceranhas's claims; and it is now
well known that his book The Legacy of Blood was
funded by the military rulers. Similarly the
author cites Altaf Gauhar for many of his
information. Gauhar it must be remembered was the
brain behind Ayub's dictatorial regime; and when
Gauhar wrote the book, he was less concerned
about historical accuracy and more about
preserving his own legacy. Nevertheless this book
is a fascinating analysis of the creation of
Bangladesh and the role of Bangabandhu in the
making of the country.

Ambassador Karim provides a vivid account of the
rise of the Bangali consciousness, a history of
unfulfilled dreams of the people who had voted to
join Pakistan in order to escape from
exploitation and indignity, a saga of their
subjugation and humiliation in the hands of their
fellow Muslims and military rulers in Pakistan,
and a story of missed opportunities, of promises
not kept, betrayal of trust, denial of culture
and language, and the destruction of democratic
rights. But it is also the story of a visionary
who inspired his people to rise to great heights,
a leader whose love for his people never wavered,
a man of magnanimity who gave up everything in
the cause of his people, and one who remained
defiant in the face of numerous threats of death
in captivity; and even when the assassins sprayed
him with bullets he literally did not turn his
back nor did he forsake the intense love of his
people.

Ambassador Karim has pieced the history together
the history of Bangladesh with painstaking
accuracy and narrated a story that is a must read
for any one interested in the history of the
creation of Bangladesh . Above all Karim has
successfully disentangled history from
propaganda, facts from fiction and put on record
the triumph and tragedy of the maker of
Bangladesh .
Albert Einstein had once said of Gandhi: 'Future
generations will scarce believe that such a one
as this, in flesh and blood, walked upon this
earth.' Thirty years after the assassination of
Bangabandhu many of us look back and ask the same
question: did that colossus ever walk the soils
of Bangladesh?---SAN-Feature Service

-  SHEIKH MUJIB.TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY
    by S.A. Karim
    The University Press Ltd, Dhaka

Gowher Rizvi, Lecturer in Public Policy, is
director of Harvard's Ash Institute for
Democratic Governance and Innovation. He was
previously a fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford ,
and a professor of Politics at the University of
Oxford. He has authored and edited several books
including South Asia in a Changing International
Order.

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/