SACW | Feb 17-19, 2007 | Pakistan: Chutiyas and Bubber shers ; Kashmir: Reconciliation without Justice ?; India: Minorities, Gujarat infamy of 2002, Meerut Massacre of 1987, Godhra exposed

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Feb 18 10:40:26 CST 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire  | February 17-19, 2007 | Dispatch No. 2361 - Year 9

[1]  General Pervez Musharraf: Pakistan's big beast unleashed (Mohsin Hamid)
[2]  India / Kashmir: The courage to say sorry (Firdous Syed)
[3]  India: Mainstreaming Minorities (Asghar Ali Engineer)
[4]  India: Fifteen minutes of infamy (Jyotirmaya Sharma)
[5]  India: hashimpura (meerut) massacre 1987 trial - an appeal (Harsh Mander)
[6]  India: Godhra exposed - Gujarat Carnage
2002, 5 years on  - A presentation by Mukul Sinha
(New Delhi, 19 Feb)

____

[1]

The Independent

GENERAL PERVEZ MUSHARRAF: PAKISTAN'S BIG BEAST UNLEASHED

It's boom time under the rule of General Pervez
Musharraf. But can you ever really trust a
dictator? Ahead of this year's elections, the
novelist Mohsin Hamid takes an ambivalent look at
the top cat who dragged his country into the 21st
century

In Lahore, where I grew up, there were three
distinct types that you found in every school and
playground. The intellectuals were, by and large,
known as chutiyas, a term which translates both
literally and metaphorically into English as
"pussies". Then there were the bubber shers.
Though this is the Urdu word for lion, it is used
mockingly more than admiringly, connoting not so
much strength as overfed laziness. And then there
were the true heroes, the studs; we called them
cheetas and they were named, of course, after the
cheetah, the deadly, fast-moving, great cat of
Africa.

I was reminded of these teenage labels when I
started to read In the Line of Fire, the
autobiography of Pakistan's President, General
Pervez Musharraf. I had expected bombastic,
excessive prose from my supreme leader, but was
surprised to find myself rather liking the man. I
remain deeply concerned about the implications of
his rule for the future of Pakistan, it is true,
but insofar as he bears any similarity to the
narrator, he strikes me as quite a pleasant sort
of fellow to have as one's dictator.

On recent visits to the country, my younger
relatives tell me that the taxonomy of weak
chutiyas, fat bubber shers, and exalted cheetas
is still in common use in Pakistan today. I
hypothesised that Pervez Musharraf might well be
a cheeta. To confirm this I first set out to
compare the elements one would expect to find in
the life story of a cheeta with those present in
his book. From my training as a management
consultant, I realised that such a benchmarking
is best done within a framework. Accordingly, I
devised the double-M double-I double-H (or
MMIIHH) framework, which is composed of
Mischievousness, Machismo, Impetuousness,
Intelligence, Heart, and Honour.

Every cheeta I knew growing up took great delight
in what we called "a bit of mischief". One
favourite pastime was to throw raw eggs from
automobiles at passing pedestrians (for the most
part, impoverished manual labourers with no
access to a change of clothes) in the dead of
night, and then speed away, laughing. This was
known as "egging". A true cheeta, even if he did
not engage in egging himself, would at the very
least come along for the ride and recount the
story with some glee. Musharraf amply satisfies
this requirement with anecdotes such as the one
in which he is taught by his uncle how to go up
to a "baldy" (in this case a "man [who] had oiled
his bald pate, making matters worse, for it was
shining like a mirror and inviting trouble"),
"give him a tight smack right in the middle of
his shiny head...[which] must have stung like
hell", and get away without any consequences.

Yet an instinct for mischief alone does not a
cheeta make. Escaping automobiles can sometimes
stall and baldies can sometimes retaliate, and in
such circumstances machismo is called for. The
cheetas of my youth were perhaps most famous for
their ability to take a beating while giving as
good as they got in the face of overwhelming odds
(having an arm fractured by a hockey-stick, for
example, and still being able to break the other
guy's nose). Musharraf is no exception. Whether
joining "the street gangs" of Nazimabad (which he
likens to the "South Bronx") as "one of the tough
boys," or being told by a professional
bodybuilder that he has "a most muscular
physique", or leading his commandos through
training exercises such as running at full speed
"on a yard-wide beam 300ft high, spanning the
top... of a metal bridge... with a fast river
flowing underneath", he proves his machismo time
and again. This serves him well in the face of
multiple assassination attempts, which he
confronts with remarkable equanimity. (omega)

Machismo leads, perhaps inevitably, to
impetuousness. Impetuousness explains why so many
of us in Lahore died at the wheel in automobile
accidents at the ages of 16 and 17, before we
were legally entitled to drive. It also explains
why our national cricket team seems to have an
endless supply of fast bowlers and a desperate
lack of opening batsmen - a delivery left well
alone is categorically not the mark of a cheeta.
Here again Musharraf does not disappoint.
Repeatedly in his autobiography, when confronted
or slighted, he informs us he "saw red". After
September 11, 2001, when made aware of Richard
Armitage's statement that Pakistan would be
"bombed back to the Stone Age" if it did not
support the US, Musharraf has to resist telling
the American official "to go forth and multiply,
or words to that effect". And he does not always
hold back. At a tense meeting of South Asian
leaders he extends his hand, "on the spur of the
moment", to Indian Prime Minister Vajpayee in
apparent violation of diplomatic procedure, with
the result that "a loud gasp of awe [and I
daresay admiration] went through the hall, full
of stuffy officialdom, that the prime minister of
'the largest democracy in the world' had been
upstaged."

But impetuous as he is, a cheeta is no fool. He
may not study, but he is invariably clever. A
street-smart operator is a cheeta; a buffoon is a
bubber sher. Perhaps it is this applied
intelligence that explains why many of my
schoolmates who were cheetas have done so well in
the rough-and-ready world of Pakistani business,
while many of the purely book-smart chutiyas of
my acquaintance have been paralysed by
over-analysis and now languish in less lucrative
careers. Musharraf neatly captures the
distinction when he points out, referencing
Napoleon, that "two thirds of decision-making is
based on study... but the other third is... based
on one's gut". Moreover, like a true cheeta, he
confesses of his youth, "if, from all this, you
have concluded that I was not intensely focused
on my studies, you would not be far wrong."

If mischievousness, machismo, impetuousness, and
intelligence were their only attributes, cheetas
would not be so popular. But there are two more:
heart and honour. When I was growing up, a cheeta
could be forgiven for getting into needless
fights, doing excessive amounts of drugs,
harassing girls, and generally causing mayhem -
so long as he had a good heart. By good heart,
what was meant was that a cheeta was true to
those he loved: true to his family, his friends,
his team, his country. This test Musharraf passes
with flying colours. He has great loyalty to each
of the units in which he serves, to the army as a
whole, and to Pakistan - often to the point of
risking his own life. He also writes of his
compassion for the Bosnians while on a
peacekeeping mission: "When the Pakistani Brigade
Group... finally came, all its personnel fasted
one day of every week, and distributed the food
they had saved among the more needy Bosnians."

Similarly, honour is of great importance to the
cheeta. The cheeta is expected to publicly assert
that he always keeps his word. But unlike the
more foolish bubber sher, who actually tries to
fulfil his promises no matter how disastrous the
consequences, the cheeta is expected to be more
discerning. In practice, like a company issuing
quarterly earnings reports, the cheeta must
almost always do what he has said he will do but
also be prepared on rare occasions to depart from
expectations. This concept can rarely have been
better expressed than by Musharraf in the
following passage about a vow he made soon after
becoming President: "I was quite serious when I
announced that I would remove my army chief's
hat... But events that soon began to unfold
started putting serious doubts in my mind...
Therefore, much against my habit and character, I
decided to go against my word."

So the real question is not whether Musharraf is
a cheeta. That he is, his autobiography makes
abundantly clear. The real question is, what
happens when a cheeta takes over one's country?

As it turns out, part of what happens is a great
deal of good. When I first met the woman I would
later marry and asked her what she did for a
living, she told me that, among other things, she
was an actress on television. We were in London,
where she was visiting on holiday, and I remember
being surprised. I had grown up in a Pakistan
with only one television channel - conservative,
state-run, and featuring newsreaders with veils
atop their heads - and I personally knew no
actresses. My wife-to-be informed me that she
acted in a show called Jutt and Bond, an Urdu
sitcom about a Punjabi folk hero and a debonair
British secret agent, and that she was the love
interest.

Like many men, I had always wanted to date a Bond
girl. It took me less than a month to come up
with a fictitious excuse for travelling to Lahore
in hot pursuit. There, my wife-to-be exposed me
to the incredible new world of media that had
sprung up in Pakistan, a world of music videos,
fashion programmes, independent news networks,
cross-dressing talk-show hosts, religious
debates, stock-market analysis, and dramas and
comedies like Jutt and Bond. I knew, of course,
that the government of Musharraf had opened the
media to private operators. But I had not until
then realised how profoundly things had changed.

Not just television, but also private radio
stations and newspapers have flourished in
Pakistan over the past few years. The result is
an unprecedented openness. In cities like Lahore,
Karachi, and Islamabad, young people are speaking
and dressing differently. Views both critical and
supportive of the government are voiced with
breathtaking frankness in an atmosphere
remarkably lacking in censorship. Public space,
the common area for culture and expression that
had been so circumscribed in my childhood, has
now been vastly expanded. The Vagina Monologues
was recently performed on stage in Pakistan to
standing ovations.

Similarly, higher education has benefited from
being opened to the private sector, as well as
from a huge increase in state funding. After
finishing her MA in journalism at Goldsmiths
three years ago, my sister found herself with
multiple teaching offers from universities back
in Lahore. Our father, an economics professor for
much of his professional life, says he cannot
remember a time since the heady years of the
1960s when there was so much excitement in
academia.

My sister's experience bears this out. Her
salary, at around £50 a week, might not seem much
by London standards. But it goes a long way in
Lahore. A few years ago, top MBA graduates in
Pakistan would have been lucky to earn that
amount. And if my sister becomes a full professor
or a department head, she can expect to earn far
more. The sudden attractiveness of her profession
is fuelling a surge of interest in pursuing
research degrees. In the sciences and engineering
alone, the government is expecting to graduate
1,500 doctoral students annually by 2010, a
hundred-fold increase on the 1990s figure.

Going to speak at the small urban campus at which
my sister teaches, I was taken aback by the
subjects on offer. Students were studying to be
beat reporters, literature professors, sound
engineers, magazine editors, sculptors, and
costume designers. They were putting on an
original rock musical. And enrolment was soaring,
with ever-increasing demand for places. My sister
told me some of her students were working nights
in the city's call centres to pay their tuition.

All of this has taken place against the backdrop
of a staggering economic boom. Over the past five
years, Pakistan's economy has been one of the
fastest growing in the world. Foreign firms are
investing billions of dollars in sectors such as
telecoms, where Pakistani mobile-phone users have
gone from under a million at the start of the
decade to 30 million today. In London, one often
reads of people of Pakistani descent travelling
to Pakistan to attend terrorist training camps.
Far more common, but virtually unreported, are
the stories of successful Pakistan-born
expatriates returning home for better financial
prospects.

My buddy OH is one of them. An architect, he
trained at the Rhode Island School of Design and
joined a small firm in Boston for several years,
working on projects ranging from baseball
stadiums in the US to nightclubs in China to
cliffside residences in Venezuela. But he wanted
to be his own boss. So a couple of years ago he
moved back to Lahore and started his own firm.
Now he is so busy that he has to turn away
assignments. "Nothing works here, yaar," he tells
me. "It frustrates the hell out of you. But I
love it. I wouldn't go anywhere else."

For despite the inefficiency of Pakistan's
construction practices and the corruption of its
bureaucracy, the skyline of Lahore is being
transformed. With the economic boom has come a
demand for offices, hotels, and housing. Gleaming
new towers are beginning to rise out of deep pits
in the fertile, alluvial soil of Lahore's newer
neighbourhoods, dwarfing the slender minarets of
the old walled city that feature so prominently
in postcards and guidebooks.

All this, it seems, is the upside of having a cheeta for your president.

Why is it, then, given the remarkable progress
made by Pakistan under Musharraf, that so few
other countries are clamouring to be led by
cheetas of their own? Perhaps it is because their
people desire greater say in the running of
national affairs. I recall my own participation
in the referendum of 2002. Its purpose (omega)
was to give Pakistanis a chance to decide whether
Musharraf, who seized power in a coup in 1999,
should continue to be President. I was in
Islamabad at the time, so I cast my vote in
Pakistan's capital.

I arrived at the polling station with the
intention of voting in support of Musharraf. My
reasons were threefold. First, it was shortly
after September 11, and the invasion of
Afghanistan, and I felt Pakistan needed strong
leadership if we were to avoid the fate that had
befallen our neighbour. Second, I approved of
what appeared to be a genuinely progressive
approach that the government was taking in a
number of areas. Third, I thought that returning
to the rule of either Benazir Bhutto or Nawaz
Sharif, the democratically elected Prime
Ministers who had presided over the decline of
Pakistan's economy and institutions in the 1990s,
would be an unmitigated disaster.

I immediately noticed at the polling station that
staff far outnumbered voters. Indeed, my sister
and I seemed to be the only voters there. I
showed my identity card, had my finger marked
with indelible ink, and was given a ballot to
take with me into a booth. I expected a simple:
"Pervez Musharraf for President: yes or no?"
Instead, I encountered the following text: "For
the survival of the local government system,
establishment of democracy, continuity of
reforms, end to sectarianism and extremism, and
to fulfil the vision of Quaid-e-Azam, would you
like to elect President General Pervez Musharraf
as President of Pakistan for five years?"

As I struggled to decipher what precisely it was
that I was being asked, a man came in and ordered
me to hurry up. I had seen him lurking about the
entrance to the polling station, but he was not
one of the officials. "Who are you?" I asked him.
"Can't you see I'm voting? Get out of here."

He eyes hardened. "People are waiting," he said

"What people? There's half a dozen booths here and one voter."

"I said," he snarled, "hurry up."

"Who the hell are you? Get out of my face." I
appealed to the officials. "I'm trying to
exercise my right as a citizen. I need my
privacy. Who is this person? Why don't you do
something about him?"

The officials seemed alarmed by all this but did
nothing to intervene. The man was clearly a
soldier or policeman in plainclothes. He evoked
in me that typically belligerent Pakistani
reaction to being ordered around for no reason,
the product no doubt of our history of
colonialism and dictatorship. So we exchanged
unpleasantries for a bit. Eventually he stepped
back, although not as far as I would have liked,
and I voted, although not as quickly as he would
have liked, and that was that.

My sister emerged from the women's section and we
left. In the 10 minutes we had spent at the
polls, neither of us had seen another voter. Yet
when the results of the referendum were
announced, the country was told not only that 97
per cent of votes had been in support of
Musharraf, but that the turnout had been 43
million people, or a massive 56 per cent of the
electorate. These figures were so obviously
ridiculous that even someone who had actually
voted for the man, as I had (having resisted the
urge to change my mind in protest at the
low-grade intimidation I experienced), felt
deeply disheartened by the exercise.

Rigged elections rankle, of course. But surely it
is churlish to keep insisting on democracy when
the cities one visits, the metropolises of
Lahore, Karachi, and Islamabad, are witnessing a
boom unlike any in recent memory? The problem is
that there is more to Pakistan than its cities.
And it is in the hinterlands to the west of the
country, in the provinces bordering Afghanistan,
that the downside of cheeta-style military rule
becomes most apparent.

In 2004, I made a reporting trip out to Gwadar in
Pakistan's Balochistan province. Gwadar is one of
the government's showcase development projects, a
deep-water port and model city being constructed
with Chinese help on the site of a small fishing
village near the straits of Hormuz, through which
most of the world's oil flows. The province is
also home to an insurgency against the perceived
heavy-handedness of the central government in
general and the army in particular. I arrived
shortly after a bomb had killed several of the
Chinese engineers who were working on the port.

I expected to find strong anti-Pakistani
sentiment. I found nothing of the sort. Children
were even playing street cricket in the uniforms
of the Pakistan national team. But while I was in
Gwadar I was stopped and questioned menacingly by
a pair of undercover security operatives. No
outright threat was made, but the tone of the
encounter was so unsettling that I later
complained of it over the telephone in a call
home I made from a payphone.

Overhearing me, a shopkeeper and his cousin began
to commiserate. They told me of daily rudeness
and regular beatings at the hands of the security
forces. "We think of ourselves as Pakistanis,"
one of them said, "but they treat us like
terrorists." And then, out of sympathy for what I
had experienced, they refused to let me pay for
my lunch.

I left Gwadar deeply concerned about the
consequences of the confrontational approach
being taken by the government to the unrest in
Pakistan's western provinces. Of course, the
state must act when faced with violence and
terrorism. But it must also guard against the
abuse of power by its security forces, and it
must hold back from victimising entire
populations in the pursuit of a few criminals.

Unfortunately, cheetas are not known for their restraint.

Since the schoolyard is the cheeta's typical
stomping-ground, it may be useful to compare the
rule of Musharraf to the reign of a bully in a
rough inner-city secondary school. For a time, if
the bully is a progressive and fair-minded one,
some benefits may accrue. Other ruffians may
become less likely to steal the lunch money of
their classmates. Weak children with glasses may
feel less frightened as they head off to class in
the mornings. But resentment against the bully
will grow, and eventually someone stronger will
come along - or someone weaker will get his hands
on a knife - and the bully will be replaced.

Acknowledgment of the bully's short shelf-life is
implicit in the title Musharraf has chosen for
his book, In the Line of Fire. What he seems not
to understand are the implications of this: the
urgent need, if his policies are to survive him,
to broaden his support base and to plan for a
Pakistan without him at its helm. In this he is
following in the footsteps of the many army
chiefs who have preceded him as dictators of
Pakistan, men like Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, very
different in their policies but very similar in
their failure to bequeath lasting national
institutions or to provide a sustainable platform
for Pakistan's growth.

"The issue of democracy is a recent, post-Cold
War obsession of the West," Musharraf writes. "I
am still struggling to convince the West that
Pakistan is more democratic today than it ever
was in the past." Yet the issue of democracy is
more than merely a recent obsession of the West.
It was fundamental to the notion of Pakistan as
envisaged by our nation's founder, Mohammad Ali
Jinnah, before the Cold War had even begun. And
it is not just the West that is unconvinced
Pakistan is democratic today; Pakistanis like
myself are unconvinced as well.

Democracy matters because without it the entire
nation is in the line of fire, one bullet away
from unpredictable change. And it matters because
even progressive policies feel illegitimate to
broad swathes of the nation's population when
they are dictated by a president with a general's
stars on his shoulders. There are trade-offs to
be made when one allows scantily dressed models
to walk the catwalks of Lahore but empowers the
security forces to seize people on the streets of
Balochistan merely for looking suspicious. And
these trade-offs must be decided upon by the
nation as a whole.

It is the cheeta's natural inclinations away from
inclusiveness and consensus that perhaps best
explain why so few cheetas have proven popular
with democratic electorates. But these values are
of paramount importance in a country as vast and
diverse as Pakistan, the world's sixth largest by
population. We are increasingly divided between
our more prosperous and progressive cities to the
east and our more restive and conservative tribal
areas to the west. Bridging our divisions has
become essential.

Pakistanis are scheduled to go to the polls again
in 2007, our 60th year of independence. I for one
would like to see models continuing to walk the
catwalks. But I would also like to see whether
the rest of the country agrees. If he wants to
leave a lasting legacy, Pervez Musharraf would do
well to put in place the preconditions for truly
free and fair elections and to build alliances
with politicians based on a shared vision of the
future rather than on a willingness to support a
President in uniform.

Cheetas are celebrated for their speed, not for
their endurance. Paradoxically, it is only by
laying the foundations for his democratic
departure that Musharraf is likely to be an
exception.

Mohsin Hamid's novel, 'The Reluctant
Fundamentalist', is published by Hamish Hamilton
in March

Hindustan Times.com
February 17, 2007

THE COURAGE TO SAY SORRY

by Firdous Syed

"Jo chup rahegi zubani khanjar, lahoo pukarega
aasteen kaŠ (If the dagger doesn't reveal itself,
blood of the innocent will speak)" - Urdu couplet.

The innocent bloodletting that has been going on
for years in Jammu and Kashmir had to attract
attention at some point. The current focus on
human rights violations in the state was bound to
come about. The J&K government has, rightly,
although belatedly, ordered an inquiry into the
plight of missing civilians since 1990. This is
not only a daunting task in itself but will also
be a real test of the government's commitment
towards Kashmiris' human rights. Let time decide
whether the government is simply trying to
'white-wash' the truth or is really serious about
restoring its credibility by punishing the
culprits.

As ever, once again the human rights violations
in J&K have agitated the public mind. But the
unfortunate aspect of the human rights scenario
is that militants, security forces and even
politicians are all equally responsible for
committing wrongs on innocent people.

While some are directly responsible for the
crimes committed against innocent human beings,
others are guilty of collaborating; some others
are culpable for remaining silent in the face of
grave violations for the sake of so-called
ideology or national interest.

Obviously then, it should not be difficult to
comprehend that talking about human rights is
nowadays a selective business, depending which
side of the divide one belongs to.

The ongoing violence in Kashmir has not only
destroyed the social fabric there but dehumanised
society too. Under such conditions, it is not too
difficult to imagine how a 'victim' today becomes
an 'oppressor' tomorrow.

In an atmosphere where hate and reaction are
driving passions, the demand for a Truth and
Reconciliation Commission (TRC) makes some sense
(refer Omar Abdullah's Guest Column, Truth and
Reconciliation, on February 11). But one will
have to bear in mind that though TRC is a
post-conflict mechanism, it is not a bureaucratic
exercise to account for the number of deaths and
their causes. It might include these functions as
well, but it is primarily a social function based
on forgiveness and reconciliation.

In his book No Future Without Forgiveness, head
of TRC in South Africa, Archbishop Desmond Tutu
argues, "True reconciliation cannot be achieved
by denying the pastŠ; nor is it easy to reconcile
when you live daily with a reminder of what has
caused the alienation. We speak of reconciliation
then as not simply the restoration of broken
relations, but as the restoration of humanity,
often the first step in the journey toward
personal and social healing. Implicit in this
first step is a kind of existential rebalancing
of the self."

Reconciliation is not selective forgetting
either; rather it is to confront the bitter
truth. In the case of South Africa, "the decision
to set up a Truth and Reconciliation Commission
came out of the need to know in order to be
reconciled. As one witness before the Commission
put it, 'I want to forgive, but I need to know
whom, and for what I forgive'."

It is, therefore, a state of mind where a wronged
wants to know the truth to relieve himself from
pain, anguish and hate. The wrongdoer wants to
unburden himself, by offering apologies and
seeking forgiveness from the wronged. Ultimately
this leads to moral empowerment by seeking
forgiveness and accepting apologies. The process
helps to restore the humanity of both the
oppressed and the oppressor.

For the collective catharsis to happen in
Kashmir, violence has to come to an end, social
peace has to be ushered in, and moral restitution
has to take place.

All the actors, sundry or important, who have in
some way, wittingly or unwittingly, contributed
in the making of the human tragedy in Kashmir
have to come forward and face the reality of the
bitter truth.

The Prime Minister of India will have to
acknowledge on behalf of the state, and the
leadership of the country, that right from 1947,
tremendous wrongs have been inflicted upon the
people of Jammu and Kashmir; that, there has been
"an element of deception in our dealings with the
people". President Musharraf will have to take
the moral responsibility on behalf of his
leadership and the state of Pakistan for
exporting the element of violence into Kashmir's
political milieu that has played havoc with the
lives of the people. Farooq Abdullah will have to
seek forgiveness for rigged elections and
shrinking of the political space because of which
Kashmiri boys were pushed to the brink and
ultimately towards violent ways; Mufti Sayeed for
his tenure as the Union Home Minister, the period
when Kashmir experienced the worst kind of human
indignities and physical sufferings.

The protagonists of violent campaigns then -
people like Shabir Shah, Yaseen Malik and others
- will have to accept responsibility for
introducing violent means of agitation which
lacked the clarity of thought and a well-defined
course of action. Governors who were at the helm
during President's Rule will have to accept that
they unleashed far greater military reprisal than
the threat posed by the militancy, which crushed
the sprit of innocent people.

People like me are at fault too, for we took up
the gun and took our people to an unknown
territory and then left the course without
bringing any succour to the hapless masses. And
helpless anonymous citizens, who were witness to
grave injustices, and flights of people from
their homes, too will have to be ready to repent
for their silence.

We all have to gather the courage to say 'sorry'.
We are sorry for what happened. Let's now turn
the leaf of history for the betterment of the
people of India and Kashmir. And let's seek
forgiveness.

(The writer is a former militant and now runs an NGO in Srinagar.)

MAINSTREAMING MINORITIES

by Asghar Ali Engineer

(Secular Perspective Feb. 16-28, 2007)

I often confront a question in my workshops and
lectures as to why Muslims do not want to become
part of mainstream. In a way it is quite a
hackneyed question but nevertheless it persists
in the minds of many people, even among those who
are quite secular. Before we discuss whether
minorities, especially Muslims, are part of
mainstream or not, we should have clear idea of
what is mainstream.

To understand what is mainstream, important
question is who defines mainstream? As the saying
goes culture of the ruling class is the ruling
culture, mainstream is also what the ruling or
upper classes to be the mainstream. In democracy
there should not be any question of ruling class
but our democracy is hardly participatory, much
less an ideal democracy. The idea of ruling class
is very much the ruling idea in our democracy.

Thus what constitutes mainstream is mainly
defined by the ruling classes, which ultimately
means the upper caste and upper class people. For
them mainstream is mainly constituted by those
who follow classical culture of upper caste
Hindus, are highly educated and enjoy certain
reasonable standard of life. To be part of
mainstream it is very necessary to be part of
Vedic culture.

By this definition even dalits and tribals are
hardly part of mainstream. They are also poor,
uneducated and speak dialect, rather than
Sanskritised Hindi or any other classical
language. But only difference is that they are
natives of India and do not follow a[N]y 'foreign
religion'. Also, they belong to 'other' castes
but not to 'other' religion. Moreover, their
otherisation will result in fragmentation of
Hindu solidarity and thus their otherisation can
be politically loosing proposition.

Thus though dalits and tribals are not part of
national mainstream, silence about them is better
part of political strategy. But otherisation of
Muslims has been going on ever since the British
rulers adopted the strategy of divide and rule
and the communal forces found it quite useful
after independence and through their propaganda
the myth of Muslims, not being part of mainstream
spread and some secular minded people also became
victim of it. The myth needs to be examined
critically.

First thing to note is that entire community
should not be treated as single homogenised unit.
Indian Muslim community is highly diverse, as
diverse as the Hindu community. There is
regional, cultural, linguistic and religious
(sectarian) diversity besides economic diversity.
How can one maintain that entire Muslim community
is away from Indian mainstream?

Are Muslims of Kerala and Tamil Nadu who are
firmly rooted in native cultures and speak
Malayalam and Tamil respectively, not part of
Indian mainstream? If they are not then even
Malayalam and Tamil Hindus too, are not part of
mainstream. Muslims, Christians and Hindus of
these regions wear similar clothes, eat similar
food, enjoy same music and follow same regional
customs and traditions. More or less same applies
to Andhra and Karnataka Muslims (with the
exception of Hyderabad and few other towns).

What about Kashmiri Muslims and Pandits? Do they
not speak same language and follow similar
traditions? Kashmiri Muslims and Pandits are
quite integrated. How can one maintain that
Kashmiri Muslims are not part of mainstream
whereas Hindus are? It will be quite untenable
position. Then what about Kargil Muslims and
Gujjar and Bakarwal tribes of Kashmir Valley?
These Gujjar and Bakarwal Muslims have their own
identity separate from Kashmiri Muslims and are
firmly rooted in their tribal culture.

Then what about Muslims in rural areas of north
India i.e. in U.P. and Bihar? They speak same
dialect as rural Hindus, follow same customs and
traditions and even wear same dress as Hindus of
the region do. They speak Braj, Bhojpuri,
Maithili, Rajasthani, Malvi and similar other
dialects. Many of them go to mosques for prayers
wearing dhoti and turban which is considered a
‘Hindu dress’.

Also, what about Bohras, Khojas and Memons? They
are so well rooted in Gujarat culture and they
speak Gujarati or Kutcchi wherever they go in the
world? Their entire culture is rooted in Gujarat
or different regions of Gujarat. Will they also
be considered as not being part of mainstream?

Then what about Parsis, Paswans, Weavers,
Silawats (brick layers), Rangrez (dyers),
Bangle-makers, Malis (vegetable and fruit sellers
from Mahrashtra), Raeens (vegetable sellers from
Bihar) and so on. Are they not Indians and part
of Indian mainstream or just because they are low
caste illiterate and uncultured, they cannot be
part of Indian mainstream? Are then their
counterpart Hindu low caste dalits and backwards
not part of Indian mainstream? If they are, how
can their Hindu counterpart then be part of
mainstream? No one maintains that dalits are not
part of Indian mainstream.

Is then main problem their religion? Is Islam
then part of the problem? Even if it is so these
low caste dalit and backward caste Muslims hardly
live 'Islamised' life style. As pointed out above
they are quite indistinct from their Hindu
counterparts in every way and many of them, like
Meo Muslims, follow all 'Hindu' customs and
traditions. The Tablighi movement was started in
mid-twentieth century to 'Islamise' the Meos but
until today Meos could not be 'Islamised' as
Tablighi movement desired and they still cling to
their own native customs and traditions.

Then there are Nuts of Rajasthan and also Saperas
(the snake catchers) in Maharashtra. They are
hardly aware of their Islamic identity and their
conversion to Islam has hardly brought any change
in their culture and way of living. Perhaps
nothing changed except their names and in many
cases even names did not change. And let us not
forget that these Muslims constitute the
overwhelming majority of Indian Muslims today.
How these Muslims should then be treated? As
aliens and away from mainstream? How strange then
if they are treated as not part of mainstream?

Now let us discuss the case of urban upper caste
Muslims who insist on their Islamic identity. The
fact is that even these Muslims should be
categorised as Indo-Muslims as far as their
cultural identity is concerned. Also, most of
these Muslims never attend madrasas. They go to
English medium schools or to regional language
schools and in North India lower caste among them
send their children to Hindi medium schools. Of
course there are some Muslims who go to Urdu
medium schools.

Now the Sachar Committee Report has established
that only 4 per cent Muslim children go to
madrasas and that means only a tiny percentage of
Muslims sends their children to madrasas. Sending
to madrasas is also often mentioned as the reason
for being aloof from Indian mainstream. Even that
myth has now been exploded by the data provided
by Sachar Committee report.

It is also said that since Muslims feel strongly
about certain events taking place in Muslim
countries like Palestine or Iraq or Mecca and
hence they are not truly Indian. Now millions of
Hindu Indians are living in U.K., USA and other
western countries and have become citizens of
those countries. Do they feel strongly about
events in India or not? Do they lobby for India
in those respective countries on some important
issues or not? Should they be then accepted as
part of American or British mainstream or not?
How would they feel if natives of those countries
reject them?

Most of the Arab countries are friendly to India
and India until recently has supported the Arab
cause (though now since NDA came to power there
has been clear re-orientation in foreign policy
and almost same orientation continues during the
UPA Government which feels itself closer to USA
position in the Arab world).  Of course there are
some Muslims who over-react on these events and a
section of Muslim leadership incites them to do
so to grind their own political axe. The secular
Muslim intellectuals should strive to change this
situation and educate the Muslim masses in this
respect.

It is also not correct that Muslims are over
zealous in religious matters. It is the general
characteristics of Indian society. Any
anthropologist who has done field studies will
bear this out. In fact, and this is very
interesting to note, that one anthropological
study in West Bengal suggests that all life cycle
rituals in Bengal among Hindus as well as Muslims
are similar and life cycle rituals mean rituals
from birth to death. Things are not very
different in other parts of India.

Thus it will be seen that it is sheer myth spread
by communal forces that Muslims are not part of
mainstream and need to be forced into it. They
are as much part of mainstream as any India. Now
as Hindu militancy is intensifying Christians are
also being seen as separate from mainstream
though they are harbingers of modern education in
India and run so many prime educational
institutions in which even most of the communal
leaders have been educated.

Muslims are undoubtedly quite backward as very
well brought out by Sachar Committee report and
blame does not lie with Muslims for their
backwardness except in limited sense. It is more
due to neglect of successive governments and it
is as much responsibility of Government as that
of Muslim leaders to pull them out of this
backwardness.

===============================
Centre for Study of Society and Secularism
Website: <http://www.csss-isla.com/>www.csss-isla.com

Hindustan Times
February 11, 2007

FIFTEEN MINUTES OF INFAMY

by Jyotirmaya Sharma

Narendra Modi's recent removal from the BJP's
central parliamentary board and the central
election committee was greeted by the media and
political commentators in the same way as one
would look at a coup or the fall of a tyrant.
Theories abound as to why the self-styled and
ambitious Hindu hridaya samrat (Emperor of the
Hindu heart) had incurred the wrath of Rajnath
Singh and the leadership of the RSS. While Modi's
political fortunes within his party were being
discussed, there was the delicious irony of
Gujarat film distributors refusing to screen
Parzania, a film based on the communal
conflagration of 2002.

There is a disturbing lesson in all this about
the way the media and the Indian middle-class
perceive events in the country. In 2004, the
Supreme Court had called the Gujarat government
led by Modi a bunch of "modern-day Neros", who
were guilty of looking elsewhere when "Best
Bakery and innocent children and helpless women
were burning". The judgment went a step further
by commenting that these modern-day Neros were
"probably deliberating how the perpetrators of
the crime can be protected".

While little has still been done to bring the
instigators of the Gujarat pogrom of 2002 to
book, the memory of these terrible riots seem to
matter these days only to the actual victims and
a bunch of human rights activists. The mantra of
the middle-class is that what happened cannot be
undone and, hence, we must move ahead. Move ahead
towards what? To the regressive idea that taming,
disciplining and chastising Modi is the business
of the BJP and the RSS. This is an idea that even
the Opposition party in Gujarat, the Congress,
seems to have accepted.

Having accepted the idea that Modi is not a
national 'problem', and having localised Modi's
agenda to Gujarat at one level, and his party at
another level, it gives the Gujarat Chief
Minister licence to further his jehadi Hindutva
mission. Emboldened by this apathy and moral
bankruptcy, Modi turns every criticism against
him to his advantage. Every issue, from Narmada
to the resettlement of riot victims, is branded
by Modi as an effrontery to the people of
Gujarat. He also manages to target Muslims by
assuming the role of an inflamed nationalist, who
seems to articulate issues such as terrorism,
Pakistan's role in promoting terror in India,
Afzal's hanging, the Sachar report, affirmative
action for Muslims and internal security, without
actually naming the Muslim community.

At some point after the infamy of 2002 was seen
to be difficult to wash away, Modi's spin doctors
sought to project him as the sole champion of
Right-wing economics. The Vibrant Gujarat summit
in January this year was a step in this
direction. It saw an influx of all the top
corporate leaders flocking to Gujarat and
extolling the virtues of Modi. One of them called
Modi a "dynamic visionary", while another
unlikely admirer of the Gujarat Chief Minister
went as far as to suggest that "you are a fool if
you are not in Gujarat. The pragmatism and
charisma characterised by Modi's leadership has
touched all of us". The centrepiece of this
summit was Modi's promotion of SEZs which, in a
corny turn of phrase, the 'dynamic visionary'
explained stood for spirituality,
entrepreneurship and zeal. In other words,
reactionary Hindutva, technocratic-managerialism
and hyper nationalism were the key concepts doled
out at the summit.

It wasn't merely the colour of money that sent
top corporate bosses rushing to Modi. Their
attitude partakes of the same middle-class
affliction that views reality in neat
compartments. In this way, the mind does not have
to deal with complex moral issues. Even after the
2002 carnage in Gujarat, the Indian industry did
not necessarily cover itself in glory. Jamshed
Godrej and Rahul Bajaj had made references in a
CII meeting in 2003 to the post-Godhra carnage in
Modi's presence. Modi had reacted by saying that
the CII was doing injustice to Gujarat and
challenged 'pseudo-secularists' to a debate on
the situation in Gujarat.

Soon after this meeting, CII President Tarun Das
met Modi and apologised to him for having "hurt
his feelings". As if this was not enough, the
then Ficci bosses, Amit Mitra and A.C. Muthiah,
went to Gandhinagar a week after Tarun Das's
visit and met Modi to declare "mutual trust in
each other". In an evocative phrase, the
Federation of Gujarat Industries president called
the post-Godhra carnage as "one such event" that
had little bearing on the investment climate in
Gujarat. This was in February 2003. The Vibrant
Gujarat summit in January 2007 is merely the
logical culmination of this indifference to
justice and the rule of law.

All this confirms a hunch: education, refinement
and wealth will always remain impervious to
criminal irrationality. Delivering the Gifford
Lectures in 1990, the philosopher, George
Steiner, suggested that "refined intellectuality,
artistic virtuosity and appreciation, scientific
eminence will collaborate actively with
totalitarian demands or, at best, remain
indifferent to surrounding sadism". He goes
further to suggest that "resplendent concerts,
exhibitions in great museums, the publication of
learned books, the pursuit of academic research,
both scientific and humanistic, flourish within
close reach of the death-camps". He could have
added censorship, burning of books, banning of
films and hounding of dissenters to the list.
Modi's Gujarat exemplifies this and more. It is a
move to a new kind of medievalism, one that
pursues a reactionary agenda with the help of
technology and the middle-class fad of efficiency.

There is another reality out there which, of
course, could upset Modi's calculations. Hence,
there is little discussion of the reverses
suffered by BJP-supported candidates in village
panchayat elections in January this year. And who
knows, all the 'vibrant Gujarat' hype might meet
the same fate as the India Shining campaign of
2004. It might even go the way of N Chandrababu
Naidu's Golden Andhra Pradesh dream, and dissolve
into nothingness. Whatever be the fate of
individuals, the victims of 2002 deserve justice
so that we can call ourselves civilised.

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:15 PM
Subject: HASHIMPURA (MEERUT) MASSACRE 1987 TRIAL- AN APPEAL

Dear friends,

The survivors of the massacre of almost 40 youth
in the hands of the PAC in 1987 in
Hashimpura,Meerut has been followed by a very
brave almost epic battle for justice by its
survivors. I place below an article I published
recently about this battle, and a note about the
latest developments, that place the case in a
decisive phase.

Aman Biradari appeals for individual small
donations to create a support fund for the
survivors' battle for justice. it is important to
note that for many years, they have fought this
battle with almost no external financial support,
and have raised money between themselves even
though they are mostly working class people, and
the human rights lawyers have worked pro bono.
Donations may pl be made to Aman Biradari Trust,
indicating that this is for the Hashimpura
survivors, and we will make sure to transfer the
entire donation to them.

Thanks and warm regards,

Harsh Mander

Dear all

  19 men of the Provincial Armed Constabulary
(PAC), for the killing of over 40 Muslim men
belonging to Mohalla Hashimpura on 22nd may 1987
are facing trial for mass murder in Tis Hazari
Court Delhi. The families of the victims and
survivors of Hashimpura have for the last 20
years relentlessly pursued the case and sought
punishment of the guilty.

  Taking serious note of the delay in this matter
on the last date of hearing i.e. 5th February,
the Hon'ble Judge has directed that the case will
now be heard on a day to day basis, from 8th
February onwards. Despite the trial being
transferred to Delhi by the Supreme Court in
September 2002, till now only 2 prosecution
witnesses have been examined. On the last date of
hearing the Court had to adjourn the case due to
non availability of the defence counsel.

  2 of the survivors, Zulfikar Nasir and Mohd.Naem
have already deposed before the court, how the
PAC took them into custody, put them in a truck
and then shot them dead at Upoper Ganga Canal and
Hindon canal and threw the bodies into the water.

On 8th February, another eye witness and
survivor, Mohd Usman will testify before the
Court. Usman still carries the scars of the PAC
brutality which has rendered his one leg non
functional.

Court of Shri N.PKaushik, ASJ Delhi . Room no. 112, Tis Hazari Court.

8th February 2007. 10:00 a.m.

  Mohd.Yamin
on behalf of
Legal Advisory Committee for Hashimpura

BRUTALISED, BUT NOT BROKEN

Harsh Mander

December 17, 2006

The police bullet pierced through his shoulder,
stunning him with pain. If it had entered his
body just a few inches lower, he would have died,
like the forty other young men that the
constables had bundled into the truck with him.
They took him for dead, throwing him into the
canal. Zulfikar was then 17 years old.

A few hours earlier, constables of the Provincial
Armed Constabulary (PAC) had surrounded
Hashimpura, a working class and predominantly
Muslim colony of factory workers and weavers in
Meerut. It was the evening of May 22, 1987, and
the city was still smouldering with the fires of
more than a month of embittered and brutal
rioting, that had left many slain by police
bullets and burning alive, hundreds of homes,
factories, shops and vehicles gutted, and people
of both communities convulsed with sullen hate
and anger.

The PAC forced all the residents of Hashimpura
out of their homes onto the road, and searched
their homes, randomly smashing their furniture
and valuables. It was the sacred month of Ramzan,
and most were still observing the ritual fasting
as they tensely cowered for hours outside their
homes. Almost all the able-bodied men, totalling
324 according to official records, all Muslim,
were arrested and crowded into police trucks.
They were first driven to police lock-ups, where
they were beaten with police batons. They were
then shifted to jails, where they were attacked
by prisoners, leaving five dead.

In Hashimpura, after the strong able-bodied men
were arrested and driven away, nearly 50 among
the teenaged and old men who remained behind were
then rounded up by the PAC constables into a
yellow truck. Many of their loved ones wailed as
they were driven away. Yet, none dreamed that
this would be the last time that they would see
most of them alive.

Zulfikar and others thought that they too would
be driven to the police station. They panicked
when the truck instead began to drive them out of
the city; they shouted hopelessly but there were
none to heed their cries in the shrouds of
curfew. The truck rumbled to a halt more than an
hour later near the banks of the Upper Ganga
Canal in Muradnagar, Ghaziabad. By then, the sun
had set. The terrified men packed in the truck
still did not know what the men in khaki planned
for them.

The man nearest the edge was first pulled down,
and the sound of rifle-fire echoed through the
uneasy silence; he fell, and his body was dragged
to the canal and thrown in. A second man was then
pulled down, and met the same fate. Zulfikar was
the third. The bullet passed through his
shoulder; he too collapsed, but was alive. He
held his breath, and the constables took him for
dead, and flung him also into the canal. He
floated briefly, but soon found himself tangled
in some weeds, which he grabbed and silently
waited with intense foreboding, blood flowing
from his bullet wound into the water.

By then, the men in the truck comprehended the
terrible truth of what was happening, and they
raised a great uproar. The constables panicked,
and changed track. They mounted the truck and
opened fire blindly, killing at least half the
men there. They dragged out the bodies and threw
them into the canal. The remaining men fell
silent in cold terror, recalling their God and
those they loved, certain now that they would not
escape alive.

Zulfikar listened as the truck finally drove
away. He came to know later that they then drove
to the Hindon Canal, and completed the massacre
of the remaining men. Of the nearly 50 men who
the PAC picked up, only six survived. A policeman
later testified to seeing the blood-stained PAC
truck enter the premises of the camp of the PAC.

Zulkifar finally pulled himself out of the canal
an hour later, and hid in a urinal. He had to
continue his fast amid the stench of urine and
his throbbing shoulder the next 24 hours, until
he felt it was safe to slink to the home of a
relative the next night. Days later, he took a
bus to the home of Syed Shahabuddin, MP, in
Delhi, and together they broke the story of the
massacre in a press conference to a (briefly)
outraged world.

Meanwhile, many bodies were found floating in the
canal. The Superintendent of Police, Ghaziabad ,
VN Rai, insisted on filing police complaints,
even though the top political and police
leadership reportedly wanted to suppress the
story for fear of a rebellion in the forces. In
1988, the state government directed the Crime
Branch Central Investigation Department (CBCID)
to investigate, but its report, submitted six
years later in 1994, was never made public, and
no charges were initially framed.

However, the survivors and members of the
families of those killed moved the Supreme Court
in 1995 to make the report public and to
prosecute those indicted in it. The court refused
to intervene, and instead asked the petitioners
to approach the High Court. The case remains
unresolved in the High Court, but the state
government finally bowed to pressure in 1996 by
filing criminal chargesheets against 19 PAC
personnel. Not a single senior official is
included in the chargesheet. Even the 19 of the
accused from the lower ranks of the PAC were not
arrested, despite 23 non-bailable arrest
warrants. They were in active service, but the
government pleaded that they were 'absconding'
throughout!

Ultimately, rights activist Iqbal Ansari and
relatives of those slaughtered applied to the
Supreme Court to transfer the case, in the
interests of justice, from Uttar Pradesh to
Delhi, which it ordered in September 2002. More
years were allowed to pass over the wrangle of
which government should appoint the special
public prosecutor. The case continued to be
adjourned on technical grounds, enabled by a
reluctant public prosecutor appointed by the
Uttar Pradesh government. Human rights lawyers
Vrinda Grover and Rebecca John took up the reins
as their advocates.

It was finally in May 2006, 19 years almost to
the day after the massacre, that charges were
finally framed against the accused. Three of the
accused have died, the remaining 16 appear in
every hearing in the cramped untidy Tis Hazari
courtroom and listen tensely to the statements of
the survivors — but continue in active service. A
large number of residents of Hashimpura crowd the
courtroom. All working class people, many widowed
and aged, unsupported by any organisation, gather
money from their own savings for travel for every
court hearing, only to give wordless strength to
each other as they speak out their harrowing
truths in court.

Zulfikar, now 36, knows that the battle in the
courts will be arduous. Yet, he still longs above
all for justice. "Those who did this zulm must be
punished. We do not want our children to see such
a day again. It is for this that we fight." Some
fear that they may still lose the case, but their
lawyer Vrinda Grover counters, "The survivors and
their families have already won. By their brave
resolute epic fight. By bringing 16 PAC men to
court every hearing. If the case is dismissed, it
is the country that will lose. But not them. They
have already won."

Harsh Mander is the convenor of Aman Biradari, a
people's campaign for secularism, peace and
justice.

------------------------------
Aman Biradari
R-38/A, Second Floor, South Extension Part II
New Delhi 110 049
Telefax: +91-11-41642147
Phone: +91-11-41645661
www.amanbiradari.org (under construction)

GODHRA EXPOSED -
AN AUDIO VISUAL PRESENTATION BY MUKUL SINHA

Venue: Constantia Hall, YWCA, Ashoka Road, New Delhi-110001

(directions: From Gol Dakhana on Ashoka Road,
towards Parliament Street, YWCA is on the left
hand side after the Bangla Sahib Gurdwara)

Time: 4pm

Date: February 19, 2007

Today, nearly five years to the carnage in
Gujarat in 2002, the wounds refuse to heal. It
bears repeating that this was a massacre
unprecedented in independent India. For it was a
massacre openly led by the State against its own
citizens, which left over 2000 dead and lakhs
displaced, terrorized, and scarred. At a
conservative estimate, well over 300 women were
sexually brutalized in horrific ways, raped and
killed in full public view. This was an attempt
to annihilate Hindutva's 'constructed enemy', the
Muslim, physically and symbolically, as person,
citizen and community. The constitutional promise
of India lay in tatters.

The Sangh Parivar used the unfortunate burning of
coach S6 of the Sabarmati express at Godhra to
justify the pogrom. There were very few voices
five years ago, who debunked their theory of
conspiracy and refused to believe the hate
propaganda so cleverly spread across India and
abroad.

Consistent efforts by various activists and
organisations, especially and mainly by Mukul
Sinha and Jan Sangharsh Manch have totally
exposed the vicious propaganda of the Sangh.

BJP used Godhra to win elections in 2002. The
role of the Gujarat administration in 2002 pogrom
and its continuous active connivance with the
ideology of hate during these past five years is
well established. Sangh plans to use Godhra again
in 2007 elections. The way and how they can us it
is very clear.

It is important that even if the Godhra exposure
is overlooked by the official bodies, the reality
reaches the people.

We appeal to you to attend this programme and to disseminate the findings.

Note: Mukul Sinha is a senior advocate, activist
from Gujarat. He has placed the Independent
Investigation Report in front of the Nanawati
Commission, totally exposing the false propaganda
of the Sangh Parivar about the burning of S6 of
the Sabarmati Express in Godhra on February 27,
2002.

ANHAD
AMAN TRUST                              INSTITUTE
FOR SECULAR DEMOCRACY
Tel-23070740/ 23070722

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/