SACW | Jan. 1-2, 2007

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Jan 1 20:50:55 CST 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire  | January 1-2, 2007 | Dispatch No. 2342 - Year 8

[1]  Bangladesh / India:  Two Nations and a Dead Body (Sajal Nag)
[2]  India: BJP  - Back To Hindutva And Hatred (Praful Bidwai)
[3]  India : The tenable patriot (Shahid Amin)
[4]  Hindustani in the Time of Globalisation (Mukul Dube)
[5]  India: The ethos of teaching English - An
educational agenda (Kancha Ilaiah)
[6]  India: Bhagat Singh Chair at JNU
[7]  Upcoming Events: 6th World Atheist
Conference (Vijayawada, 5 - 7 January, 2007)

____

[1]

Economic and Political Weekly
December 16, 2006

TWO NATIONS AND A DEAD BODY
MORTUARIAL RITES AND POST-COLONIAL MODES OF
NATION-MAKING IN SOUTH ASIA

by Sajal Nag

The discourse on nationalism has rarely examined the nation-making processes
in post-colonial, post-nationalist spaces.
Although nation-making in these new states
followed
the familiar method of "appropriation and
application" as in the west, the construction and
legitimisation of a separate identity needed an
entirely different engagement. This article
studies such an endeavour that took place in
post-colonial south Asia in the context of the
death of a poet. The corpse of the dead poet,
Kazi Nazrul Islam, became the contested site by
two sovereign nations. The conflict over
appropriating Nazrul and his legacy also took
place
at a crucial political juncture for Bangladesh,
as it made the unlikely transition from
democracy towards totalitarianism, from secularism to fundamentalism.

http://www.epw.org.in/showArticles.php?root=2006&leaf=12&filename=10875&filetype=pdf

Kashmir Times
January 1, 2007

BACK TO HINDUTVA AND HATRED
BJP'S UNRESOLVED CRISIS

By Praful Bidwai

If there is one political party in India which
knows how to create the impression that it's
laying down the national agenda when it isn't,
it's surely the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
That's the message its national council meeting
in Lucknow sent out when Mr Atal Behari Vajpayee
declared that "the road to power in New Delhi
passes via Lucknow" and exhorted the party to win
the coming elections to the Uttar Pradesh
Assembly.
Senior BJP leaders themselves manufactured this
upbeat appearance. They highlighted the issue of
who would lead the party in the next Lok Sabha
elections as if it were part of the real agenda.
Mr LK Advani set the ball rolling in a recent
television interview when he said he would be the
natural candidate for the Prime Minister's job
should the BJP come to power; yet he doesn't
expect Mr Vajpayee to nominate him. Soon, Mr MM
Joshi, another would-be PM, declared there's no
dearth of prime ministerial candidates in the BJP.
It was left to Mr Rajnath Singh, anointed BJP
president for three more years, to put in the
next claim. Mr Singh used colourful, semi-rustic
imagery, of baratis (the bridegroom's party) only
waiting to carry the bride, satta ki sundari
(deity of power) to Delhi, and hinted that he
himself might be the dulah (bridegroom).
Meanwhile, Mr Narendra Modi strutted around as if
he were Mr Vajpayee's successor, being the only
senior second-generation leader to wield state
power.
However, it's preposterous to regard the issue of
BJP leadership in 2009 as relevant today. One
must be irrationally exuberant to be convinced
that the BJP will probably return to power in the
next general elections, or that leadership will
be the main determinant of its fate.
The BJP has been in steep decline since its 2004
Lok Sabha defeat. Many of its partners have
deserted its National Democratic Alliance. The
party's consistently poor performance in
by-elections, its loss of power in Jharkhand, and
the demoralisation of many of its state units all
point to this. The murder of Pramod Mahajan, the
party's brightest second-generation leader, by
his own brother, and the defection of Ms Uma
Bharati, the fiery leader with the widest OBC
appeal, were major setbacks too.
It's only in urban UP that the BJP has registered
gains. During recent three-tier municipal
elections, it won eight out of 12 large-city
mayoral positions. (It had won six even in 2001.)
In smaller towns, it was comprehensively defeated
by the Samajwadi Party.
Yet, BJP leaders presented these results as a
triumph heralding the party's ascent to national
power. In reality, the local elections weren't
even representative because the Bahujan Samaj
Party, one of UP's Big Two, didn't contest them.
In fact, the BSP covertly backed select
candidates, including many from the BJP, to
defeat its principal rival, the SP.
The BJP benefited from two factors:
anti-incumbency against Chief Minister Mulayam
Singh Yadav, and communal polarisation triggered
by the Haji Yakub episode (in which he offered Rs
50 crores to kill the Danish cartoonist who had
ridiculed Prophet Mohammed), and the government's
refusal to ban the Students' Islamic Movement of
India.
Ironically, a strange confluence of interests has
developed between the two rivals, BJP and SP. The
harder Mr Yadav tries to woo the Muslim
constituency that's now suspicious of him, the
more the upper-caste Hindu vote shifts towards
the BJP. It's not for nothing that Mr Yadav
offered 5-star hospitality in Lucknow to BJP top
brass citing "protocol", and they accepted it.
Despite these advantages, the BJP only made
modest gains in the local elections. It's unclear
whether these will reverse its long downslide.
The party's UP Assembly strength has plummeted
from the 1991 peak of 221 (of 419 seats) to just
88 (of a total of 403), and its Lok Sabha tally
from UP shrunk from 51 to only 10. For a party
long in the Number Three slot in UP, a reversal
looks highly unlikely.
However, BJP leaders have taken heart from what
they regard as the "Muslim appeasement" card
played by the United Progressive Alliance
government through the Sachar Committee, which
recommends affirmative action for Muslims.
In Lucknow, there was full-throated condemnation
of "Muslim appeasement", warnings about India's
"second partition", fanatical appeals to build a
grand Ram temple at Ayodhya, and contrived
bemoaning of the alleged reduction of Hindus to
the status of "second-class citizens". Leader
after BJP leader spewed venom on Muslims and
hysterically warned against a "sell-out" on
Kashmir and Siachen.
The BJP should know better. Sachar is no Shah
Bano. In 1984, the Congress government amended
secular laws to please those clamouring against
modest compensation for a poor, deserted old
woman. The Sachar report is a serious,
well-considered, solidly documented analysis of
exclusion of and discrimination against Muslims.
It pleads for diversity and pluralism-not for
sectarian solutions. It should occasion sober
reflection on Indian society's failure to prevent
the creation of a new underclass of disadvantaged
people and promote full representation of all
social groups-without prejudice.
It's extremely unlikely that the "appeasement"
card will work given the present national mood,
which favours integration and respect for
inclusion and equity. The mood also frowns upon
paranoid notions of national identity. There is
widespread support for a durable and just peace
with Pakistan and a border settlement and broad
cooperation with China.
It's even more unlikely that the Ayodhya plank
will sell. As the Sangh Parivar's own countless
futile attempts to organise yatras on the issue
show, the public is simply not interested in this
agenda of hatred and revenge. The agenda doesn't
earn votes anywhere.
The BJP's return to hardline Hindutva represents
a terrible retrogression. It's not in the
interest of democracy and pluralism that India's
largest opposition party should embrace such a
narrow, divisive, communal agenda. This
demolishes the hope that leaders like Mr Vajpayee
would somehow neutralise the RSS's malign
influence and push the BJP towards moderation. If
he couldn't do this while in power, it's
ludicrous to expect him to do so after he's lost
it.
In line with this Rightward ideological-political
shift, the BJP has also executed an
organisational shift. It has amended its
constitution so that all its secretaries at the
national and state levels are pracharaks or
full-time Sangh propagandists. The RSS influence
has been starkly visible in all recent BJP
campaigns.
Mr Rajnath Singh has further strengthened this
influence-not least because he lacks an
independent base and needs the Sangh's crutches.
The RSS in turn is only too happy at the revival
of the three contentious issues-Ram temple,
Uniform Civil Code, and Article 370-which were
put on hold in 1998 for dishonourable
reasons-expediency and greed for power.
The Lucknow conclave leaves the BJP's structural
crisis unresolved. Ideologically, the party is
trapped between orthodox, Islamophobic, Hindutva
typical of small-town traders and upper-caste
groups, on the one hand, and pro-globalisation
Big Business, on the other. Politically, it's
divided between its identity as an
ethno-religious movement, and electoral
compulsions which propel it into opportunistic
alliances. Organisationally, it cannot sever its
umbilical chord with the Sangh Parivar.
As this Column has often argued, the BJP's
ascendancy from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s
was founded on three mutually reinforcing
factors. First, the Congress's long-term decline
owing to its compromises with communalism and
market fundamentalism. This, coupled with the
Left's stagnation after the Soviet Union's
collapse, shifted India's political spectrum
Rightwards.
Second, the BJP-VHP's mobilisation around Ayodhya
in the late 1980s allowed Hindutva to percolate
widely. For the first time, the BJP broke out of
its narrow savarna Hindu-Hindi confines. And
third, its "social engineering" strategy, of
combining "Mandal" with "Kamandal", helped it
attract OBC support in the Hindi belt.
None of these factors operates today. The
Congress has revived itself. The Left has
expanded. Regional parties with subaltern agendas
have grown. And the centre of gravity of Indian
politics has shifted Leftwards. Social justice
has displaced Ayodhya.
The BJP is disoriented by all this. Until
recently, it was in outright denial of its 2004
defeat It still has no political strategy to
revitalise itself. Its leadership crisis remain
serious. Its president is a narrow-minded
provincial Thakur politician. He isn't even
remotely acquainted with the India that's outside
the Hindi belt.
Lurking behind him is Mr Narendra Modi, who,
sadly, enjoys a high level of acceptance within
the BJP and behaves as its de facto Number Two,
next only to Mr Vajpayee.
The BJP is caught between aspiring leaders of
such appalling quality, and geriatric veterans
who are increasingly out-of-sync with reality,
but refuse to fade out. It's likely to remain
suspended in this unenviable state for some time.

Magazine Section /  The Hindu
Dec 03, 2006

THE TENABLE PATRIOT

by Shahid Amin

As we approach the 60th anniversary of our
independence, it appears that some Indians can
claim to be born citizens by virtue of belonging
to the Hindu majority, while others must remain
citizens-on-probation all their lives. Despite
legal equality, members of minority communities
are repeatedly subjected to a cricket-match or a
national-song test of loyalty. Is the idea of
India to be reduced to such a war of
backward-looking symbolisms? What is the true
measure of patriotism?

Patriotism for the oppressed

Photo: Vivek Bendre

Politics of language: A predominantly dalit slum in Mumbai.

OUR balding nation-state, a majority of whose
persons-in-communities are on the right side of
40, will soon turn 60. The consensual anxieties
of inculcating a proper patriotism have begun
already to yield sarkari fruit: a mixed bag of
apples and oranges, to be sure. As the new year
dawns, a long list of accredited past patriots
will no doubt be drawn up, with a careful
sprinkling of dalits, Muslims, women, Kashmiris,
North-easterners and such like, i.e. those less
empowered than their `naturally so' mainstream
countrymen. Directives will flow down New Delhi's
Raisina Hill; like-minded scholars will strive to
ensure that a capacious yet stringent view from
the Centre holds.

Deifying English

Could 19th-century peasants, whose vision, it is
said, was no wider than the backside of their
plough-bullocks, have been patriotic? Were Indian
patriots the same as Indian nationalists? How are
we to recognise patriotism before nationalism
began to be talked about by our English-educated
forbearers? The first President of the Republic
was a Bihari democrat, but could Bahadur Shah,
`the king of Delhi', to use the proper Company
diminutive, conceivably have been India's first
and last Mughal patriot? Or to shift focus: Is
Chandrabhan Prasad, who recently launched a
campaign for deifying English as a goddess, to be
propitiated quite literally by the dalits of
Hindustan, being simply gimmicky and provocative?
Or is his proposal for a globalised English,
personified as the kuladevi of all dalit
households, announced on the 206th birth
anniversary of Lord Macaulay, at bottom an
unpatriotic act; a reneging from our common
civilisational past; a deliberate turning away of
dalits from things Hindi and Indian?

The tenor of a recent televised debate between
Prasad and two Delhi-based bilingual
intellectuals, conducted by one of our foremost
current affairs anchors, suggests that, when
faced with a transgressive idea to move radically
beyond the horizon of possibility, most of us
reach instinctively for our copybook notion of
India. And very often this means throwing aside
the opportunity of thinking with and through
adversarial positions that emanate as challenges
from the margins to our very sense of Indianness.
Prasad's utopia is for future dalit babies to
arrive into this world to the sound of the
English alphabet: mantras or azaan being ruled
out, of necessity. This is an idea stunning in
its novelty. I am sure that, had it been
expressed in a 19th-century document about a
tribal revolt in Jharkhand, it would have
elicited our attention as illustrative of the
hegemonic apotheosis of colonial English. Wasn't
one of the leaders of the great Santhal Rebellion
of 1855 apprehended with an English book of a
technical nature, `an old book on locomotive[s]',
as the official record has it!

But as the debate with Chandrabhan Prasad
unfolded over half-an-hour of late-night TV, no
one engaged this dalit thinker on his own terms:
how would poor, uneducated dalit parents in the
villages of the north Indian cowbelt ensure that
a Sesame Street version of fun alphabet-learning
is beamed to the Sagri subdivision of Azamgarh
District, where Chandrabhan grew up? Would it
make sense for dalits to insist that the Central
Institute of English and Foreign Languages,
Hyderabad, now fashion audio-visual materials for
what he would no doubt wish to be christened the
`Universal English Education Mission'? Would
there be any place for a less Sanskritic Hindi in
dalit households, or would it involve an even
more subversive and utopian demand for the
valorisation of only particular north Indian
dialects as a second language of home, a new
diglossia comprising globalised corporate English
and, say, Bhojpuri?

Instead, the discussion veered around such
pan-Indian and patriotic concerns as: How would
dalits then distinguish between maternal and
paternal uncles, for English terms are so limited
in their kin and affinal reach? What would happen
to religions of and in India, if all of us
(Prasad was concerned solely with dalits) spouted
only English? Would not the resulting
deracination harbinger fundamentalisms, as in
Silicon Valley? Can English acquisition really
put an end to deep-seated and long-enduring
structures of caste oppression? But that was not,
one felt like screaming though the picture tube,
what the subversive proposal was about. For,
except for the Pandits and Maulvis, no one lives
by language alone. The dalit-English proposal is
an unexpected challenge to the mainstream view of
patriotism-in-an-Indian language, preferably a
north-Indian language. And now that an American
accent is de rigeur for luxury-item adverts on
our TVs, whither linguistic patriotism?

Indian Express,

HINDUSTANI IN THE TIME OF GLOBALISATION

by Mukul Dube

I cannot afford to dislike English, and I would
be an ingrate if I were to do that. As an editor,
a writer and an academic, I have used the
language to fill my stomach for three and a half
decades.  That stomach turns, though, if
figuratively, when English words are gratuitously
introduced into Hindustani speech even when
perfectly adequate and sometimes better
Hindustani words are to be had.

Money makes the world go around. In our daily
lives, we speak of it constantly. Few grocers in
Delhi conduct their business in English: Punjabi
is used, as well as Tamil and Bangla and so on in
pockets, but Hindustani is the most common
currency by far. When, after having completed my
purchases of fruit juice and peanuts and safety
matches and such things entirely in Hindustani, I
ask how much I must pay, English jumps up like a
Jack-in-the-box. "Seventy-two rupees" is the
answer rather than "bahattar rupaiy." Similarly,
when I ask a pretty young thing, in Hindustani,
about her pretty garment or her pretty bag, she
will say "Four hundred rupees" rather than "char
sau rupaiy." Seldom is anything other than price
mentioned, but that fact has nothing to do with
language.

A child in a shopping area who feels like putting
away a soft drink will say to his mother, "Mamma,
please ten rupees dena." Money is never, never
spoken of without the application of the
anglicised-globalised name of our legal tender.

We live on food. It is only to be expected that
Mrs. Khanna will say to Mrs. Tiwari, "Bhenji,
paneer bahut tasty bana hai," throwing on to the
heap of onion skins words like "svadishta" and
"lazeez." To Mrs. Khurana, she might amplify with
"vadda fine flavour hai ji."

There was a time when davais were used to deal
with bimaris and assorted health-related matters.
That was in the past. For several years now, when
our chemist has put together the coming month's
supply of drugs for my mother and me, he
telephones to say, "Sir, apki medicines ready
hain." Always "medicines"-"drugs" is a no-no,
though not for the same reason as "davaiyan" is.

Personal adornment with "precious" materials-
gold, silver, diamonds, etc.-is not new to India.
When they are not displayed, such objects are
hoarded and, of course, boasted about in words
rather than visually. There has been a
mushrooming of jewellery shops and brands of
late, and on the channel which plays on my radio
they are advertised constantly. The use of the
words "gehne" and "zevarat" is apparently
forbidden when listeners are invited to come and
buy the glittering commodities. That there are
still fools who believe that the joule is a
measure of work done matters not: "jewellery" is
pronounced invariably to rhyme with "fool+pee."

Then there is the young woman who has learnt to
operate the family car and is measuring how many
kilos or seers her papa's permission weighs
before she begins to drive herself to late night
parties.

English is, so to speak, the Bhasha Britannica of Delhi.

Deccan Herald
November 23, 2006

THE ETHOS OF TEACHING ENGLISH
AN EDUCATIONAL AGENDA
by Kancha Ilaiah

The decision of the Karnataka Government to
withdraw the recognition of 1400 English medium
schools has set a tone for its backward move. It
is also said that it stopped giving permission to
any new English medium schools in the state. This
only shows that the Kumarawsami's Government is
effectively being run by the BJP.

One of the key areas that the BJP has chosen to
put the wheels of the nation backward is through
the means of primary education. We have seen the
efforts of Murali Manohar Joshi, as the Minister
of Human Resource Development to saffronize the
education. One of the ways in which they want to
safronise the mass education is to see that
English does not become a language of the masses.
The Karnataka Government is doing exactly the
same.

Quite ironically even the top BJP leaders put
their own children in English medium schools run
by the Christian missionaries. This trend could
be seen in every state where the elite keep
beating their chest about the preserving the
status of mother tongue vis-à-vis English. In
Andhra Pradesh a similar debate is on. Those who
have educated their children in English medium
schools, saw to it that they settle down in
America and Europe and their grand children have
acquired the citizenship of the imperial nations,
back home the grand parents keep working for the
improvement of regional language.

They work for closing down English medium schools
in the villages and urban slums as they are
defined as anti-national. These people oppose the
caste-based reservations but at the same time
work for managing seats for money under the NRI
quota. This is a new quota worked out by the very
same nationalists. The courts have no problem
with that quota as that serves their families
well.

The forces that work around the right wing
political parties are in the forefront of this
duel mode of life. Not that the so called
democrats oppose this process. They all see a
danger to their regional culture in expanding
English education.

The very same people see a close nexus between
regional culture and language. Expansion of
English language into the rural locations is seen
as ultimate danger to the linguistic cultural
ethos. For a long time such social forces saw
women as the engines that carry their cultural
bogies.

By and large the women among them moved into the
realm of modernity with a process of English
education. Now they see the rural masses, who
study in Government schools, as the engines to
carry the cultural bogies of their regional
nationalism.

For some time they defined English as colonial
language. Now it is being defined as unethical
globaliser of Brtish-American culture, which they
think is harmful to their nationalist self. Who
should save from this danger of uprooting of the
local cultures? Who should protect that
nationalist self from the onslaught of American
imperialism? They think that the children of
urban slums, rural peasantry and labourers by
remaining native - Kannadigas, Telugus and so
on-i.e. by remaining away from learning English,
should protect their linguistic nationalism.

Even the English media does not run a campaign
against such Hippocratic nationalism, as this
section constitutes the main English news paper
readers and English TV channel watchers. It is
this section that controls the corporate economy
and the add finances. The dualism of the upper
caste English educated is the main driving force
of the Indian market economy.

At the core of this dualistic social discourse
and economic practice is keeping the competition
within the corporate job market limited to their
own children. They, therefore, oppose reservation
in private sector and also oppose the expansion
of English education among the vast lower caste
masses.

Since the lower caste mass children are not tied
down to the Brahminic cultural ethos, they learn
English more easily than the Brahminic kids can
do. Since their cultural roots are not deep in
Hindu ethos their modernisation and
westernisation process would be quicker. For
example, any Dalit-Bahujan boy or girl, who
learns English at a right age and moves into
global economy, does not suffer from
vegetarianist hang-ups. They do not carry the
Hindu idols with them to America or Europe. In
one sense the fears of English educated
globalised Hindu intellectuals (not just
Hindutva) are genuine.

The possibility of the social mass moving into
English education may lead to dismantling of
Hindu culture and caste system in a shorter span
of time. From Phule to Ambedkar to the present
English educated lower caste intellectuals have
thrown Hinduism into deeper and deeper crisis.
But the Hindutva forces and even the so called
secular Hindus cannot stop this process because
they are caught up in a cobweb of globalised
English education and market systems.

In this process of duel game of the cultural
nationalists, the only way the Dalit-Bahujan
social and political forces could get English
education is by making uniform (both language and
content) school education an election's issue.

At least some political parties must make
teaching 50 percent of the syllabus in English
and remaining 50 percent in the regional language
part of their electoral manifesto. The rural
voters should also make it clear that unless
their children are given English education they
would not keep quite. Then the poor and lower
castes begin to get the power of English.

The Hindu
Dec 22, 2006

BHAGAT SINGH CHAIR AT JNU PROPOSED

Staff Reporter

Plan forwarded by Prof. Chaman Lal of the Centre for Indian Languages

NEW DELHI: A powerful figure in the freedom
struggle and arguably one of the youngest and
most charismatic revolutionaries, Bhagat Singh is
all set to become "stronger". To give him a
fitting tribute during his birth centenary year
in 2007, a group of intellectuals have proposed
to set up a Bhagat Singh Chair at Jawaharlal
Nehru University here.

The proposed Chair would focus on "the
anti-colonial, anti-feudal revolutionary
movements in India during 1757-1947".

The proposal, spearheaded by Prof. Chaman Lal of
the Centre for Indian Languages in JNU, seems to
have found support from different quarters. Apart
from leading historians Bipan Chandra and Mridula
Mukherjee who have strongly endorsed the
proposal, the Left leaders have also come out to
lend their support.

"It is a very worthwhile proposal to set up a
Chair in a Central University like JNU. As far as
I know, there is no other such Chair. It would be
a good idea to set it up especially in the birth
centenary year of Bhagat Singh,'' said Communist
Party of India (Marxist) general secretary
Prakash Karat.

But despite the enthusiastic response to the
proposal, there is still the question of funds.
With finance still a stumbling block in this
dream to showcase the intellectual aspect of
Bhagat Singh, it is being hoped that the
committee responsible for the upcoming centenary
celebrations in 2007 established by the Centre
will be able to make it come true.

"There is not a single chair or a university
named after Bhagat Singh. All the other national
leaders have educational institutions named after
them. We are hoping that this committee, which is
looking at the birth centenary celebrations of
Bhagat Singh and the 60th year of Independence
among others, will be able to provide us the
funds. A member of the programme implementation
committee has agreed to raise this in the meeting
this Thursday,'' says Prof. Lal, who has also
edited the freedom fighter's documents.

Taking his legacy forward to reach out to the
youth, it is also suggested that the Chair be
made functional in the School of Social Sciences
with a "multi-disciplinary" approach. It has also
been suggested that the Chair concentrate on
research and offer more fellowships as and when
it generates more funds. With grand plans for the
Chair, Prof. Lal believes that the Punjabi
community abroad can also be tapped to generate
funds for a library.

"Bhagat Singh has always remained alive in the
minds of people. He was well read and had a fine
mind. The Chair will give us an opportunity to
spread awareness about this side of him and do
more,'' says Nehru Memorial Museum and Library
director Mridula Mukherjee.

6TH WORLD ATHEIST CONFERENCE

5, 6 & 7 January, 2007
Atheist Centre, Vijayawada, A.P., INDIA

"The Necessity of Atheism"

Levi Fragell, Sonja Eggerickx, Dr. Veeramani, Roy
Brown, Volker Mueller, Dr. P.M. Bhargava, Jim
Herrick, Bill Cooke, Kjartan Selnes, Lavanam, Dr.
Narendra Nayak, G.V.K. Asan, Prof. Dhaneswar
Sahoo and many others will speak. Three day
simple accommodation and food at the Atheist
Centre

Further details from Dr. Vijayam, Executive Director

ATHEIST CENTRE, Benz Circle, Vijayawada 520010, A.P., India.
Phone +91 866 2472330, Fax: +91 866 2484850, Email: atheistcentre at yahoo.com

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/