SACW #1 | Nov. 18-19, 2006 | Sri Lanka's war displaced; Bangladesh Elections; India: Communalism, Malegaon, Karnataka; History writing on India

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Nov 18 05:51:01 CST 2006

South Asia Citizens Wire - Pack 1 | November
18-19, 2006 | Dispatch No. 2317 - Year 8

[1]  Sri Lanka: Amnesty International calls for
inquiry into attack on displaced civilians
[2]  Bangladesh:
      (i) To the polls, unless your name be Das,
Tripura, or Roy (Naeem Mohaiemen)
      (ii) Battle in Bangladesh for Ballot and Against Terror (J. Sri Raman)
[3]  India:  The state sucks (Antara Dev Sen)
[4]  India:  Malegaon Bomb Blast Trail - In
Search of the accused (Subhash Gatade)
[5]  India:  Malegaon Blasts - Partisan approach
and biased police (Asghar Ali Engineer)
[6]  India:  The Ongoing Communalisation In Karnataka (Nalini Taneja)
[7]  India: Clio In A Cusp - Popular history is
not always bad history (Rudrangshu Mukherjee)
[8]  India: Indian Historians Are Not Lazy (Irfan Habib)

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

Public Statement

AI Index: ASA 37/033/2006 (Public)
News Service No: 290

SRI LANKA: AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL CALLS FOR
INQUIRY INTO ATTACK ON DISPLACED CIVILIANS

Amnesty International is deeply concerned by
reports of the killing today of as many as 65
civilians taking refuge in a school in
Kathiraveli, a coastal hamlet 15 km north of
Vaharai in the eastern district of Batticaloa.

The Sri Lankan Army (SLA) reportedly fired
multi-barrel rockets and artillery shells which
hit a school where internally displaced people
(IDPs) were taking shelter. As many as 40 bodies
are reported to have been recovered from the
scene and more than 100 have been wounded. It is
likely that many more may have been injured as
the area targeted was densely
populated and inhabited by some 5000 IDPs.

Amnesty International is appalled that the
military should attack a camp for displaced
people-these were civilians who had already been
forced from their homes because of the conflict.
Amnesty International condemns all attacks on
civilians and is particularly saddened and
shocked to see such a large-scale attack on
civilians just days after the government's
announcement of its Commission of Inquiry into
human rights abuses.

A Sri Lankan military spokesman has confirmed
heavy artillery and mortar bomb exchanges in
Batticaloa district, but has accused the
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) of using
civilians as human shields. The UN High
Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) estimates that
60,646 people remained displaced in Batticaloa
district alone, as of 23 October 2006, and over
200,000 have been displaced in the north and east
of Sri Lanka since 7 April 2006.

Amnesty International condemns the targeting and
killing of innocent civilians and calls on the
Government of Sri Lanka and the LTTE to take
immediate and adequate precautions to protect
civilian lives. All parties to the hostilities
must comply with international humanitarian law,
which prohibits murder or other violence to those
taking no active part in hostilities, requires
parties to ensure that their forces comply with
the principle of distinction between civilian and
military targets and do not target civilians or
carry out indiscriminate attacks.

Amnesty International calls on the Government of
Sri Lanka to initiate an immediate inquiry by
international and independent human rights
experts into this incident and all serious
violations of human rights law and international
humanitarian law. Amnesty International
reiterates the urgent need for the Government of
Sri Lanka to establish a strong and effective
international human rights monitoring operation
as a matter of urgency to respond to the dramatic
deterioration of the human rights and
humanitarian situation. Such a mechanism must
have the full cooperation of both the government
of Sri Lanka and the LTTE and the support of the
United Nations and its member states.

AI Index: ASA 37/033/2006        8 November 2006

(i)

The Daily Star
November 03, 2006

TO THE POLLS, UNLESS YOUR NAME BE DAS, TRIPURA, OR ROY
by Naeem Mohaiemen

"Why can small numbers excite rage? They
represent a tiny obstacle between majority and
totality or total purity. The smaller the number
and the weaker the minority, the deeper the rage
about its capacity to make a majority feel like a
mere majority."
[Arjun Appadurai, Fear of Small Numbers]

"Hey Ghosh, don't do so much Ghosh-Ghoshani!"
Another day in school, another round of mutual
teasing. Schoolyard taunts can be casually cruel,
but nicknames are nothing to be upset about.
Everyone had one. Even the son of the Police IG
had been renamed "kaula" (lovely reference to his
hue).

In that context, teasing Ranjan Ghosh by his last
name seemed very mild. But something about this
particular dig stuck, even though my class 6
brain couldn't navigate the cause of unease. Much
later, many years on, I realized that it was the
first time I was forced into awareness of a Hindu
surname.

Relative to all things we have seen in this
epoch, St Joseph seems to be a model of communal
balance. Propelled by an affirmative action
policy in admission, almost half the students
were Hindu and Christian. At that age, the only
difference we saw was that the Hindu students
studied Geeta in a separate room during Islamiat
class. Who cares, to each his own.

The mind soaks up many fragments and saves it for
future processing. Even at that age some part of
me vaguely registered that the wealthy students
all had last names like Rahman, Ahmed, and
Hossain. One day a teacher asked for a collection
of money to help Gomes, poorest student in the
class, buy the required geography atlas. A
strange unease, but nothing I could pin down.

In 1985, we anxiously crowded around a notice
board to find the SSC results. Star Marks, First
Division, Letter. Magic symbols of future success
and prosperity. Two decades on, many in my
graduating class (sometimes referred to as
Generation 71) have become industrialists,
bankers, television directors, ad firm creatives
-- executives of every stripe. When I sit with my
old crew, there's a palpable air of "masters of
the universe."

But when I take a closer look, not a single
non-Muslim among my classmates has made it into
this magic circle. 1985 was perhaps the last
moment of parity between us. The in-between time
has been rough for those who don't fit the
national identity project. When I ask my
classmates about this, they shrug. Not my
problem. One of these bright souls even said to
me, during a BUET strike, "Hindu students
protesting again! They are always making trouble.
Lai dithe dithe mathai thule rekhechi."

Amena Mohsin talks about the flaws of Bengali
nationalism -- a structure that sings of Ek
Shagoro Roktho, yet remains blind to the
invisible second class of Hindus, Christians,
Buddhists, Paharis, Adivasis, and all other
communities that don't fit within a Bengali
Muslim ethos. The concept of a singular nation,
needing to be produced or naturalized at any
cost, is not unique to us.

Hannah Arendt argued in 1968 that the idea of a
national peoplehood was a fatal flaw in developed
societies. Philip Gourevitz, surveying the
brutality of Rwanda, observed that "genocide,
after all, is an exercise in community-building."

But what is remarkable for Bangladesh is a
national memory project devoted to the 1971
genocide that fails to recognize how we are
replaying that scenario on a smaller level
against all non-Bengali and/or non-Muslim
identities. When these small groups assert their
presence and refuse to be assimilated within a
"Bengali Muslim" identity, spectacular and
extreme violence is our tool for producing a
homogenized national map.

My St Joseph memory trip came while considering
the crucible of the approaching elections. In
keeping with the overall pattern of convulsive
violence, minority communities are already under
threats to stay away from the polls. Unlike in
2001, when the orgy of anti-Hindu violence was
enacted after the elections, this time the idea
is to block these communities from even daring to
vote. As documented by The Daily Star, Prothom
Alo, and others, a significant proportion of
minority voters have already been taken off the
controversial voter listi. When even Muslim
voters find themselves missing in large numbers
from the list, what chance for Bahadur, Kumar,
Larma, or Gomes?

The 1991 and 2001 results could have been
different given the razor-thin margins by which
many seats were won, and the huge number of
minority voters that were prevented from voting
in those very seats. Out of 300 constituencies,
there are 71 where minority voters are
significant (ranging from 11% to 61%) and 50
where they are visible (5-10%). The current
election sets every incentive for the 4-party
alliance to aggressively choke off the minority
vote.

The AL's embrace of secularism has always been
shaky (is there anybody with the guts to hold
their feet to the fire and force them to eject
Nejame Islam from the 14-party coalition?). But
even this weak commitment has produced many
potential Pahari candidates for Hill Tracts, as
compared to the exclusively Bengali Muslim
candidates from the BNP. For Bengali candidates
to win in Pahari-majority areas, a massive
blocking of the Pahari vote is needed. A similar
pattern is expected in all areas with a
significant minority population. This is not to
say that minority voters should vote en masse for
AL -- but simply that they to be allowed to vote.

I invoke St Joseph because anecdotes sometimes
carry more emotive power than statistics. When
the silent majority continually ignores the pain
of others, we end up at the embryo stages of
ethnicide. These days it is hard to sit still for
a song ashor during 1971 commemorations without
choking on the failure of the nation project. Our
numerical majority has chosen methods of
predatory nationalism that include racist tactics
that echo the Pakistan period, reify Bengali
Muslims, and render all other identities
invisible ii.

My uncle used to tell the story of the maulana
who stood in front of a temple in 1940s Noakhali,
using his body to defy those who wanted to burn
alive the Hindus who had been their former
neighbours. If that village elder found an
interpretation of religion that taught
compassion, how are we in this backwards trap
fifty years on? I shout at all of you with rage,
because I refuse to accept a haven for me that is
a nightmare for others. There is still time to
stop this with our words, our actions and our
bodies.

i. Daily Star, May 6, 2006: "Religious Minorities
Under Pressure"; Daily Star, May 10, 2006:
"Minority Voters Intimidated"; Prothom Alo,
January 6, 2006: "Voter List Compilers Say They
Didn't Go to 4 Minority-heavy Villages By
'Mistake'"; bcdjc.org/mreport-1.html.

ii. This can be seen in the drastic drop in
minority populations: 1961 (18.5%), 1974 (13.5%),
1981 (12.2%) and 1991 (10.5%). Analysts expect
the 2001 census to reveal even further drop, but
the government has not released those numbers.

Naeem Mohaiemen is author of the chapter on Hill
Tracts Paharis and Flatland Advisais in the 2004
Ain Salish Kendro Annual Human Rights Report.

____

(ii)

truthout.org

BATTLE IN BANGLADESH FOR BALLOT AND AGAINST TERROR
by J. Sri Raman

     It is incredible, the way the world's sole
superpower can dictate election issues
everywhere. Post-9/11, "terrorism" has become a
major if not the most important political issue,
not only in the US but in several countries,
including in South Asia. Bangladesh provides an
immediate instance.

     Terrorism threatens to emerge as the single
biggest political issue in India, with the
far-right Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) out to
make it so, following the string of bomb blasts
in Kashmir, Mumbai and elsewhere. If and when
General Pervez Musharraf decides at long last on
a date for the promised general election in
Pakistan, terrorism will without doubt dominate
the issues on the agenda. And terrorism will be
more than a mere talking point in the little over
two months ahead to the big battle of ballots in
Bangladesh.

     Terrorism, of course, is not really the main
issue in any of these countries. The crusading
"anti-terrorist" doesn't like to be told that the
root-causes of terrorism are the real issue, but
that does not make it any less true. In all these
three cases, poverty is the most palpable of the
root-causes. It is compounded, in all the three,
by religious communalism with its vicious message
and violent methods. The combination pits each of
the countries against neighbors and thus
represents a formidable counter to peace in the
region.

     In the case of Bangladesh, one of the real
issues found recent illustration in the award of
the Nobel Prize for Peace to Bangladeshi
economist Mohammed Yunus for his innovative
scheme of "Grameen (rural)" banking. The
micro-credit scheme, which may be debatable on
points of economic detail, has certainly helped
and even empowered the impoverished Bangladeshi
women. The scheme has succeeded, notably, despite
fierce opposition from Islamic "fundamentalists."

     Still, the self-appointed defenders of
democracy worldwide have declared "terrorism" as
the main issue in the coming elections. Even
while claiming a policy of non-intervention in
the country's internal affairs, the George Bush
administration has made its preference clear.
Said US State Department spokesperson Sean
McCormack: "We certainly stand with any
government that is in a fight against terrorism.
It is a serious issue. I know it is a serious
issue for the Bangladesh government."

     More serious, immediately, is the prospect of
political violence increasing from now to the as
yet unannounced date of the election in January
2007. The run-up to the election, in fact, began
with several rounds of violence in the streets of
Dhaka (formally Dacca) and elsewhere. The cadres
of the main contending parties, the ruling
Bangladesh National Party (BNP) and the Awami
League (AL), clashed as the country struggled
with the very first step toward a constitutional
election.

     At least 18 lay dead in the streets before a
compromise solution on a caretaker government
before the election could be found. Under the
country's constitution, such a caretaker
government under an impartial head had to be
formed and given 90 days to organize the
election. Former chief justice K.M. Hasan
formally met the criteria and was the first
choice of the BNP under outgoing prime minister
Begum Khaleda Zia. The AL and Hasina Wajed were
prompt to protest, pointing out that Hasan had
long ago been a BNP luminary.

     The AL objected to a caretaker regime under
President Iajuddin Ahmed, criticizing him as "too
close" to Begum Zia. Hasina Wajed, however, has
now asked Ahmed to "prove his neutrality" by
taking steps including "action against corrupt
BNP ministers." Despite the strong language, this
is seen as an indication of implicit acceptance
of the president for the post.

     The street fighting, however, is not going to
stop. The next three months are likely, by most
accounts, to witness terrorist activity as much
as political rallies and campaigns. There is a
clear danger that the BNP's election campaign
will have a place for such threatening activities.

     Begum Zia's five-year term in office has been
possible only with the help of Jamat-e-Islami
(JeI), which wielded a clout out of all
proportion to its meager strength in the
Bangladesh parliament. The JeI's status as a
ruling party lent a sort of legitimacy to
non-parliamentary Harkut-ul Al Jehadi.

     What deserves note, however, is that the
Bangladeshi fundamentalism was a bequest of the
Bush wars and, before that, of the US involvement
in Afghanistan, in those days when the Taliban
were no "terrorists" but "freedom fighters" and
"crusaders against Communism." The first
Bangladeshi jehadis were returnees from
Afghanistan, and their cause received
considerable fillip with the eruption of the Iraq
war.

     At the last unofficial count, Bangladesh
harbored no less than 48 jehadi camps, all of
them in areas where insurgent movements from
neighboring countries (including India) found
refuge.

     The Indian peace movement has particular
reason for concern over the role of terrorists in
the run-up. This will, sadly but surely, provide
fresh ammunition to the Indian far right, which
has been shrilling away about the allegedly dire
threat to the country from Bangladesh and the
danger of a "demographic invasion" designed to
make the Muslims a more populous community at
least in some states of India.

     It is the Indian far right's agitprop that is
making thoughtful Bangladeshis worry about
terrorism promoted by not only fundamentalists
but also "foreign agencies." The added concern
has not been allayed by frequent reports of fire
exchanged between Indian and Bangladeshi forces
on the border.

     The run-up to the Bangladesh election and its
outcome will be of intense interest to all South
Asians, who recognize their common stakes in
resisting and routing forces of fundamentalism
and fascism.

The Week,
November 19, 2006

THE STATE SUCKS

by Antara Dev Sen

I WITNESS
(These are happenings in India's western state of Maharashtra..)

In September, in a village near Nagpur , Surekha
Bhotmange, 44, and her 17-year-old daughter
Priyanka were gangraped and then lynched with her
sons Sudhir and Roshan. After thousands of
outraged citizens demonstrated in Nagpur and
nearby towns against police inaction over the
public rape and murder of this Dalit mother and
her three children, the Maharashtra government
bestirred itself and ordered an inquiry.
Apparently, Surekha had been punished for not
allowing upper caste villagers to build a road
through her field. And after the mob fury,
curfews and lathi-charges, the police woke up and
suggested that the violence in these Dalit
majority areas was instigated by Naxalites. Now
we can expect several Dalits and other activists
to be hounded, arrested and branded as threats to
national security. The less privileged are easy
targets for the police, given their limited
access to lawyers, lack of money for bail and
unfamiliarity with their rights.

But you don't need to be an activist for the
police in Maharashtra to accuse you of extremism.
Last month, they booked Sunita Narayan, an
independent publisher and distributor, under the
Unlawful Activities Prevention Act for selling
'anti-national' books in an exhibition
celebrating 50 years of B.R. Ambedkar's
conversion to Buddhism. These were not banned
books, just progressive literature about
democracy and people's struggles. Among these
were texts by Bhagat Singh and Che Guevara. The
police harassed Sunita for three days, threatened
her with severe consequences and framed her as a
Naxalite whose husband had been killed in a
police encounter.

In September, the Nagpur police had stopped Ramu
Ramanathan's Hindi play Cotton 56, Polyester 84,
from being staged. The play about the history of
Mumbai's mills was directed by Sunil Shanbagh and
had been staged several times with an illustrious
cast.  Earlier, the poet Shantanu Kamble had been
arrested and detained for over three months on
similar grounds.  And of course, there was the
celebrated 2004 case of the police booking
American scholar James Laine, author of Shivaji:
Hindu King in Islamic India, for 'wantonly giving
provocation with intent to cause a riot'. The
book was banned and Laine evaded arrest only by
staying away from India . As far as I recall, the
right wing goons who vandalised the Bhandarkar
Oriental Research Institute, where Laine had done
his research, and destroyed thousands of rare
manuscripts, books and artifacts were not
arrested.

Maharashtra is not alone in this obsession to
protect citizens from 'bad' influences. This
week, intelligence officers have been lamenting
about Maoists spreading 'cultural revolution'
across Jharkhand, Bihar and Chhattisgarh through
speeches, plays and songs in local dialects. They
even have biographies of Marx, Lenin, Stalin and
Mao! Horror!  And transcripts of speeches by
vintage Naxalites like Kanu Sanyal and Charu
Majumdar! Clearly, the time has come to arrest
everyone with intellectual tendencies.

Which is what various states have been attempting
for a while. Last year, five writers 'linked' to
Maoists in Andhra Pradesh were arrested,
including Kalyan Rao and the cult poet Varavara
Rao. The latter had been jailed in the 1980s for
anti-state activities, and was later acquitted by
the court. In Jharkhand, revolutionary artistes
have been arrested, including popular balladeer
Jetan Marandi. In 2003, cops in Orissa arrested
Dasuram Mallik, a tribal writer, for allegedly
inciting people through revolutionary songs and
stories. And in Kerala, the state prosecuted
Sreeni Pattathanam for making 'objectionable
references' to Mata Amritanandamayi in his book
on the spiritual leader, and for 'hurting
religious sentiments'. ?Curious, how easily our
sentiments are hurt by cultural ideas and how
keen our democracy is to protect us from books,
poems, plays, films, art and songs, while letting
free political leaders who massacre thousands in
the name of religion. Roughnecks who vandalise an
M.F. Hussain show or a Mira Nair shoot are bad
enough, but an intolerant state that smothers the
expression of dissent, non-mainstream ideologies
or unorthodox views is terrifying. By allowing
the criminalisation of social activism and the
stifling of independent voices we are eroding our
civil liberties. If we value our democracy, we
must protect our freedom of expression not just
from goons, but also from our government.

www.sacw.net  | 18 November
http://www.sacw.net/hrights/gatade18nov06.html

MALEGAON BOMB BLAST TRAIL
IN SEARCH OF THE ACCUSED !
by Subhash Gatade

Does anyone remember Md. Afroz now, who was
arrested after 9/11by the Mumbai police and was
charged for planning a terrorist attack . It was
told to the pliant media then that this 'dreaded
terrorist' wanted to crash a plane piloted by him
on the British house of Commons and Australia. A
special team from Mumbai police especially went
to these countries but could not bring back any
evidence. Ultimately it took the whole charge as
a grand fabrication. None from the Mumbai police
who had claimed earlier that they have arrested
'India's very own Al Qaeda man' was fired or even
inconvenienced for their role in this fabrication.
The memory of the poor, hapless Kashmiri fruit
seller who was paraded as the real kingpin of the
bomb blasts in Delhi last year, must be still
fresh in people's minds.Presented as the 'prize
catch' by senior police officers before the
media, he was later declared innocent by the same
police. One can bet that none of the police
fraternity had to lose even one night's sleep for
brutalizing an innocent and putting him and his
near and dear ones to tremendous mental as well
as physical torture.
The most recent case showing the modus operandi
of the police in poor light, is related to the
four year old attack on the Raghunath temple in
Jammu.Four innocent persons had to languish in
jail for such a long period for no fault of
theirs. The courts have finally absolved all the
accused of any charges and have advised the
police to properly use its minds in handling
sensitive cases of such nature.
The list is definitely endless.
It is no surprise that the images of Md. Afroz or
for that matter the hapless Kashmiri fruit seller
or the innocents nabbed in the Raghunath Temple
case readily come before the mind's eye whenever
'guardians of law and order' reach roof tops to
make some grandiose announcements. The recent
claims made by the ATS (Anti Terrorism Squad) of
Maharashtra state in case of the Malegaon bomb
blast, ( 8 th September '06) seem to be no
exception.
0 0
Malegaon, a city of around 7 lakh people, 75 per
cent of whom are Muslims, saw death descending on
innocent citizens on the very day of
Shab-e-Barat. A day when Muslims visit graveyards
of their loved ones, clean and decorate the
graves and spend the night there, reading out
special prayers for the occasion. But who from
Malegaon and adjoining areas would have imagined
that the day to remember the departed ones would
turn out to be the last day of some of their own
lives and would maim many among them for the rest
of their lives.The two blasts, which occurred at
two places in the city killed around 31 people
and wounded more than 250 of them.
Residents of the city shudder to think the way
they could save themselves. The only feeling of
comfort in the otherwise gloomy scenario was that
there was no repeat of 2001- the year when the
city witnessed large scale rioting. This time
despite provocation there was no communal
flare-up. The 'Communally sensitive' town
remained calm. Instead one could see new bonds of
solidarity getting forged between the two
communities who for various reasons have remained
in an adversial relationship with each other.
Looking at the nature of crime, where fanatics
planted bombs in crowded areas in the city to see
to it that people are killed in large numbers and
communal flare-ups ensues, it was clear that
meticulous planning had gone into it. Question
naturally arose, who could have benefited from
growing communal divide? A general answer could
be a fanatic group who believes and propagates a
religion-based ideology.
Forget the radical media, even a conservative
newspaper like Times of India, instead of
unleashing its usual tirade against the
'omnipresent Jihadi terrorists', carefully
captioned its writeup 'Bajrang Dal or Lashkar' (9
th September, Updated at 12.311 jrs. IST) while
discussing the bomb blasts in Malegaon. In the
particular write-up it specifically mentioned the
modus operandi adopted by the Bajrang Dal in
blasts at Parbhani's Mohammadi Masjid and mosques
at Purna and Jalna earlier this year. Of course
it did not rule out the possibity of the
involvement of Lashkar in this particular case.
The first official confirmation of sorts that the
Sangh Parivar organizations could have a role in
the blast came from the Prime Minister himself.
Emphasising the need to investigate the
functioning of the Hindu Rightwing formations he
clearly stated that he could not confirm or rule
out the possibility of the involvement of Bajrang
Dal in the bloody act at Malegaon. He made this
calibrated statement en route to Havana, while
going for the NAM summit.
" Bajrang Dal continues to be under the scanner.
"There is no reason to rule them out. We still
haven't found anything to prove that Bajrang Dal
is not involved," a senior officer said. The
Hindu fringe group is under investigation in
Malegaon because of the role of its activists in
various bomb blasts. " (PM doesn't rule out
Bajrang role, Josy Joseph, Wednesday, September
13, 2006 00:50 IST, DNA India)
It was at this juncture that, when even the Prime
Minister himself had clearly stated that he could
not confirm or rule out the possibility of the
involvement of Hindutva extremist formations in
the bloody act at Malegaon, a concerted campaign
was taken up for spreading unsubstantiated
rumours. Quoting unnamed sources the police
engaged in investigating the blasts were quick to
rule out the possibility that the bombs might
have been the handiwork of Bajrang Dal, which has
been active in the Marathwada region.
A sample of the news which was carried by a
leading newspaper showed how slowly and silently
a process was unleashed to exonerate in the
Hindutva formations and blaming the 'Jehadi
Terrorists' for this inhuman act.
'LeT Chief Raheel Planned Blasts with Aides:
Police' - "According to police, Lashkar-e-Tayyeba
(LeT) commander Raheel Abdul Sheikh (also the
alleged mastermind of the 11/7 blasts) could have
taken the help of associates Abdul Latif Khan and
Junaid Hussein to plan the Malegaon blasts. The
duo are said to be members of the banned Students
Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). Khan and
Hussein, say officers, are absconding since May
and may have 'taken instructions' from Raheel to
execute the blasts. Raheel, said a senior
officer, stayed in Malegaon for a few weeks
before fleeing to Bangladesh in MayŠ".( Hindustan
Times)
Stigmatising of Muslim groups and formations had
already started despite the fact that "Š[I]slamic
militant groups in India from the days insurgency
began in Kashmir in the 1990s have not attacked
mosques or shops where religious books are sold''
( Indian Express, 18 th September 2006)
The speech by Mr. S. M. Mushrif, a retired IPS
officer, in the a public meeting organised at the
KC College Mumbai on October 10 to discuss
"Malegaon Blasts: Who Is to be Blame ?" explains
how this could have been done. (October 13, 2006,
Malegaon Bomb Blasts: Who Is to Blame?,PRESS
RELEASE, www.sabrang.com) He shared that the
"..[I]B was one of the most powerful agencies
that fed disinformation to the executive and
according to him was also victim of deep-seated
bias in recent years. The role of the IB, he
said, must be to provide specific intelligence on
events and not be a vehicle of general
rumour-mongering against sections of the people.
Instead he stated, the IB was often the source of
spreading unsubstantiated rumours that led to
these reports then being quoted in the media. The
media too must not be an instrument of the police
or the government disinformation but work to
investigate and provide different perspectives
and substantiated theories."
People seating in the media sympathetic to the
Hindutva cause were also cooking vacuous
arguments to rationalise 'clean chit' to the
Hindutva brigade. One of the logic used was the
crudeness of bombs used by the Hindutva groups
earlier and the technical expertise supposedly
needed to make/use a RDX. It did not matter to
them that "Outlook' did a cover story on the same
theme making it clear how easy it is to get RDX.
The famous lyricist Javed Akhtar in a meeting
held in Bombay under the auspices of CJP rightly
asked with indignation 'Does RDX have a special
stamp establishing its link to Muslims?'
[. . .].
FULL TEXT AT:
http://www.sacw.net/hrights/gatade18nov06.html
or
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2006/11/malegaon-bomb-blast-trail-in-search-of.html

Communalism Watch | 17 November 2006

MALEGAON BLASTS - PARTISAN APPROACH AND BIASED POLICE

by Asghar Ali Engineer
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2006/11/malegaon-blasts-partisan-approach-and.html

People's Democracy
November 12, 2006

The Ongoing Communalisation In Karnataka

by Nalini Taneja

THE recent communal violence in Mangalore is part
of the larger process of communalisation that the
Sangh Parivar is engaged in throughout the
country, and more particularly in the states
where it holds the government, on its own or in
partnership. Karnataka has seen considerable
amount of Sangh Parivar activism in the last
decade. This activism is well thought out and
well planned, and does not depend on chance
happenings that can be utilised by the Hindutva
forces. On the contrary, incidents that appear as
spontaneous outbursts are a result of systematic
propaganda on issues related to the larger
political agenda of the Sangh Parivar, with the
issues themselves being cleverly and very
deliberately introduced. To say there is an
'incident' almost every day is not an
exaggeration (G Rajashekhar and K Phaniraj,
Communalism Combat, September 2006), small enough
not to get reported in the national press or the
parliament, but significant enough to raise
temperatures and tensions in the area concerned.

In this context, not just Mangalore but almost
any city of Karnataka can, given a small
provocation, erupt in communal violence, provoked
and organised by the Hindutva forces, which have
mastered the art of provocation as well as shown
considerable ingenuity in finding issues which
are varied in their detail, but retain a unified
core in purpose.

STEADY GROWTH

The Sangh Parivar has been steadily growing in
strength in this state, a fact that has gone
unnoticed in the national media, and which
continues to be under estimated also by the
mainstream political leadership of this country.
It is only the focused citizens groups, which
have recognised this reality. While the JD (S)
continues to maintain that it remains secular
(!), even as it partners the BJP, the Sangh
Parivar has been carrying on as if it alone
decides the political agenda in the state.

The Sangh Parivar's ride to political strength
has paralleled the rise of the Sangh Parivar in
the rest of the country, with the LK Advani's
rath yatra and the subsequent campaign for the
Ayodhya temple culminating in the demolition of
the Babri masjid and communal killings as
decisive markers in its growth. The BJP's vote
share in the state was just 4.7 per cent in 1984,
and 2.55 per cent in 1989. In 1991 this rose to
28.78 per cent, and in the 2004 elections the BJP
became the single largest party in Karnataka,
winning 79 assembly seats and 18 Lok Sabha seats
in the state. (G Rajashekhar and K Phaniraj). The
result is there to see in the form of support
that Hindutva forces receive from the state of
course, but also from what is today neutrally
called as civil society. The Sangh Parivar has
managed, as elsewhere in the country, to
infiltrate its people in the media and the
governing institutions and also to communalise
popular consciousness. While thousands of people
may still respond to a call for a rally in
support of secularism and for taking action
against the criminal acts of the Sangh Parivar
organisations, there is a pervasive acceptance of
the myths constructed and proliferating as a
consequence of the sustained campaigns of the
Hindutva organisations.

FEEDING ON COMMUNAL ISSUES

Anything can be an excuse as long as it lends
itself to the saffron agenda, and feeds into the
main planks of the Hindutva campaigns: places of
worship; cow slaughter; conversions; population
myths; Pakistan and anti-nationalism of
minorities.

In recent years, a place of common, syncretic
worship has been transformed into a site for an
Ayodhya like campaign. Every year since 1992 the
Sangh Parivar has been invading Chikmagalur, a
town in central Karnataka, with a view to
"liberating" the cave shrine on Bababudangiri,
named after a sufi saint revered across
religions. They have constructed a new
'tradition', sectarian, and which claims the
place only for Hindus. Much like in Ayodhya, the
media, and the middle class intelligentsia has
adopted the name given by the Sangh Parivar: just
as the Babri masjid area is now referred to as
Ramjanambhoomi, and the dispute as the
Ramjanambhoomi dispute, so also the Bababudangiri
site is being called "Dattareya Peeta". Hate
speeches abound in the region, the district
administration turns a blind eye, and the
government provides sanction by providing buses
for darshan just as it does in the case of
Ayodhya, and in another parallel, "the illegal
and unconstitutional ritual called Datta Jayanti
inside the cave shrine was blessed by none other
than the then law minister of the Congress
government who even participated in Brahminical
rituals such as yagna and Homa." Tension prevails
every year as the days of the "jayanti" approach.
In 2003, while secular activists were not allowed
a peace rally, and were beaten up and arrested,
the then Congress government allowed the sangh
parivar activities to proceed unhindered around
the site. (VS Sreedhara, Communalism Combat).

Conversions are attributed to Christian
organisations as well. The Hindutva forces have
used this plank in Udupi and other districts of
Dakshin Kannada. Udupi has been not just a Hindu
pilgrimage centre, but is also home to very old
mosques and churches. Members of the Hindu Yuva
Sena and the Bajrang Dal have been disrupting
gatherings and meetings of Protestant sects here
on grounds of 'forced conversions', and the local
newspapers have been erroneously reporting in
support of them. The RSS on its part has been
trying out its reconversion and 'purification'
programmes in these areas, and continuously
intimidating dalit christians.

The law allowing for transportation of cows is
being misused to accuse Muslims of large scale
cow slaughter, and inciting violence against
them, thus hitting out at the livelihood of
Muslims, and further marginalising them. In
Karnataka, beef is consumed not only by Muslims
and Christians but also by Adivasis and dalits.
Yet the BJP holds only the Muslims and Christians
responsible for "offending Hindu religious
sentiments" (G Rajashekhar and K Phaniraj). It
also acts unconstitutionally because under
Karnataka's Prevention of Cow Slaughter and
Cattle Preservation Act any cow that is twelve
years or older, does not yield milk or is
infertile can be slaughtered with due permission
from the gram panchayat or the city municipality.
Any transportation of cows becomes an occasion
for deliberate wild rumours and for taking away
licences of Muslim butchers, not just with regard
to cows, but for carrying out their livelihood
occupation altogether. Communalism Combat,
September 2006, has reported on how one such
campaign resulted in communal tensions, some
violence and denial of right to livelihood to
Muslims in some villages in the Udupi district.
Bajrang Dal members also killed a Hindu priest
whose job was to mediate in a general sale of
cows, not for slaughter at all.

There are numerous reports of Muslims being
targeted, publicly stripped of their clothes,
paraded naked, and assaulted for 'offending the
Hindu view of life'. The Bajrang Dal and the
Hindu Yuva Sena function in some districts as a
law unto themselves, unchallenged by the local
administrative machinery. Offenders are in some
cases nominated for local posts by the BJP. Some
Kannada language newspapers in the state have
been getting away with publishing false stories,
baseless theories and imagined facts as scoop
stories. Vijaya Karnataka, the largest selling
Kannada daily actually carried a four column
article on September 8, 2006, alleging links
between the Mumbai underworld and the Muslims of
coastal Karnataka, and concocting 'facts' on
seizure of explosives and AK 47s from the Muslim
areas. This paper was launched in 1999 by Vijay
Sankeshwar Rao, who was then a sitting BJP MP.
Udayavani is another paper known for its
communalised news 'reports', presentation of
engineered rumours as facts, editorials, and
opinion pieces. (Gauri Lankesh, Communalism
Combat, September 2006). On the Bababudangiri
issue, the media has made considerable
contribution in communalising it, and made
grounds for controversy where there were none, in
a manner similar to Babri masjid, which became a
'disputed structure' and finally Ramjanmbhoomi,
almost entirely due to the media adopting the
favoured Sangh Parivar nomenclature for the
masjid.

TARGETING SECULAR STRONGHOLDS

Although Dakshin Karnataka and Udipi district,
not to speak of the Mangalore where 'riots' were
recently engineered, are strong bases of the
Sangh Parivar, their activities are widely spread
over the entire state. All the areas targeted by
the Hindutva forces have historically been home
to syncretic cultures. In terms of religions
there is a history of interactions between Islam
and the various cults broadly termed as Hinduism,
and the influence of Christianity and even
Buddhism and Jainism. Kannada language and
literature have imbibed influences from Persian
and Urdu traditions along with the strong
component of the entire south Indian literary and
language heritage. The same can be said of the
architecture in the state, including that of the
Vijayanagar Empire, ruled by Hindu kings. The
Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Islamic architectural
patterns are found cheek by jowl all over the
state. The Bible in Kannada is centuries old, the
Christian missionaries have contributed
significantly to the spread of literacy in the
state, and there are old churches that are part
of the architectural and religious tradition of
Karnataka. Food flavours are varied and specific
to regions, with caste and religious variations,
and cannot be strictly demarcated only along
religious lines though the Sangh Parivar would
have us believe that only Muslims eat beef, or
that Hindus are not naturally meat eaters etc.

The Sangh Parivar is out to deliberately subvert
this entire composite cultural heritage, through
the creation of a concocted Kannada tradition,
which is sectarian, chauvinistic and Hindu in
character. This it is doing not just through the
textbooks in the schools run by the Parivar and
through influencing changes in the books used in
the state school system, but also through
utilising all other public channels of
communication, and taking advantage of the right
to free speech and dissemination of ideas that a
democracy entails. It is using democracy to
subvert all democratic gains, not just in the
cultural but also the political sphere of life.
It is doing this through sharing political power
in the state, and political clout in the
administration and muscle power on the streets.

There is a need to challenge it on all these
fronts. Allowing the Sangh Parivar to get away
with much that is unconstitutional, not only
gives it greater confidence and contributes to
its muscle power on the streets, but is also
gradually transforming the Indian State itself,
by making much that constitutes
unconstitutionality a part of our regular
political life. The UPA government obviously has
no problems with this.

The Telegraph
November 12, 2006

CLIO IN A CUSP
- Popular history is not always bad history
by Rudrangshu Mukherjee

Giovanni Volpato, Clio

The publication of William Dalrymple's The Last
Mughal: the Fall of a Dynasty, Delhi, 1857 has
posed two very important and related questions.
One is the status of popular history in India and
among Indian historians. The other is the failure
of Indian historians to write in a manner that
makes their work accessible to the intelligent
layman interested in history.

The attitude to popular history is evident from
some of the sniggers being directed at William
Dalrymple and his book. Some prominent historians
have already debunked the book (one suspects
without even reading it) because its author is
not a professionally-trained historian and
because the book is not aimed at only historians
but emphatically for a wider reading public.
Writing popular history is considered infra dig
by most Indian historians. This condescension is
based on the rather misplaced notion that popular
history writing, because it is meant for a
popular readership, ignores/distorts facts and
analysis and thus does not measure up to the
standards of professional history writing.

There can be no denying that some history writing
aimed at a general audience does take liberties
with facts and analysis. The most recent example
is the tome by Andrew Roberts (a historian who
made a name for himself with a fine book called
Eminent Churchillians) called A History of the
English Speaking Peoples Since 1900. As the
review by Stephen Hugh-Jones in The Telegraph on
Friday (Nov 10) pointed out, the book has
innumerable egregious errors and is flawed by the
most unspeakable prejudice.

But such examples should not allow for all
popular history writing to be tarred by the same
brush. Some highly acclaimed academic historians
have written books that have been read with a
great deal of enjoyment by all readers. One has
to think of everything that A.J.P. Taylor wrote.
He wrote with flair without deviating from the
fundamentals of the historian's craft. There are
many other examples. Eric Hobsbawm's multi-volume
history of the modern world; Simon Schama's
narrative of the French Revolution or Orlando
Figes's great book on the Russian Revolution. All
these books - many others can be cited - are
immensely enjoyable because of the style of the
authors and the manner in which the marshalled
facts are made to blend with the authors'
analysis and perspective.

Two other related points need to be made here.
One is that, it is often said, history writing
becomes attractive and enjoyable for the general
reader when the historian tells a story with a
clear chronological line. This is not necessarily
true. The book that made Taylor famous, The
Origins of the Second World War does not have a
chronological narrative. It is in fact a very
analytical book that assumes some knowledge of
British politics and European history. But this
does not take away from either enjoyment or
comprehension. Similarly, the approach in
Hobsbawm's history of the modern world is
thematic rather than chronological. The story
element in history is not a necessary condition
of the attractiveness, rather the telling of it
is.

The other point is that elementary errors are not
the monopoly of those who seek to popularize
history. Robert Darnton, one of the leading
authorities in the world on the French Revolution
and a professor at Princeton, in the book that
made him famous, referred to Bengal as a river.
Hobsbawm described Pather Panchali as a 19th
century novel. India's greatest medievalist,
Irfan Habib, in the book, The Agrarian System of
Mughal India, which transformed the way
historians looked at the economy, society and
politics of Mughal India, thought that a Xavier
who travelled in India at the beginning of the
17th century was the same as St Francis Xavier.
(At least Habib corrected the error, albeit it
took him more than 30 years to do so, but Darnton
and Hobsbawm's books remain in print with the
errors.) The Homers of history writing often nod,
making mistakes that would make an undergraduate
blush. So one should be careful before condemning
those who write for a popular audience.

This discussion allows us to arrive at some kind
of understanding about what popular history
writing is. It is history writing that is
accessible to anyone who is interested in history
and is not aimed at a specialist audience. What
makes it accessible is not so much the subject
matter but the mode of writing. Good, limpid,
evocative and logical prose is at the heart of
history writing that is enjoyed by everybody. The
great historian, Marc Bloch, showed that even an
obscure and difficult subject such as the
structure of feudal society could be presented to
readers in a manner that excited and attracted
all readers who were interested. It needs to be
admitted that all historians do not possess the
gift of stylish and elegant writing. Taylor's
prose with its succession of chiselled sentences,
with a hint of mischief and paradox, made his
books and articles impossible to put down.

Most Indian historians, bar a few, have never
written with such style. It is easy to shrug this
off with the excuse that English is not the
mother tongue of Indian historians. While this is
factually correct, there are many Indian
historians who use the English language as if it
is their first language. The reasons are perhaps
more complex because they are related to the way
history writing emerged in India.

In Britain, there was a rich tradition of history
writing going back to the early 18th century.
This tradition was manifest not in the works of
professional historians but of amateur men of
letters who wrote excellent history. I think here
of the History of the Rebellion in England by
Edward Hyde, the first earl of Clarendon, of
Edward Gibbon and his Decline and Fall of the
Roman Empire, the historical essays of Thomas
Babington Macaulay and so on. The writing of
history came to be professionalized and became a
part of the university system only in the late
19th and early 20th centuries. In fact,
professional history writing in Britain built on
this tradition of history writing which was meant
for the intelligent reader interested in history.
Till a few years ago, Oxford undergraduates doing
the History Schools had to study a compulsory
paper on Gibbon and Macaulay.

In India, historians writing in English did not
have such a tradition to build upon. Professional
history writing came out of the universities and
was thus aimed at the academic peer group. (The
only exception is perhaps the economic history of
India by R.C. Dutt, not by any means an easy book
to write.) The result of this is obvious from a
book like The Political History of Ancient India
by H.C.Raychaudhuri which is a superb achievement
in terms of the historian's craft but utterly
inaccessible to the ordinary reader and even to
many students of history. Jadunath Sarkar's
volumes on Aurangzeb, and on the fall of the
Mughal empire, all great works of history, are
not to be recommended for the pleasure they bring
to the non-specialist reader.

This is not to suggest that there was no
tradition of popular history writing in India.
But this tradition was embedded in Indian
languages. In Bengal, Bankimchandra
Chattopadhyay, Tagore, R.C. Dutt and many others
wrote history that was read and enjoyed by
non-historians. But the emergence of academic
history writing in English has completely swamped
this tradition. Only very recently, scholars have
begun to retrieve these writings as part of
India's intellectual history and to locate the
origins of an Indian historiography of India in
contrast to modes of history writing that were
derived from Western academies.

Clio's face, one could say after Walter Benjamin,
is turned wistfully towards the popular. She
wants to be familiar to more and more people. But
a storm is blowing from the universities, pushing
Clio to turn her face to the specialists. We
catch her always with her face half-turned.

Outlook
November 20, 2006

INDIAN HISTORIANS ARE NOT LAZY
THE NOTED HISTORIAN ISN'T WORRYING ABOUT WILLIAM DALRYMPLE'S CHARGES
by Irfan Habib

In responding to William Dalrymple's criticisms
of Indian historians for their apparent lethargy
and obscurantism, one needn't feel overly
indignant. It's always good to have one's
weaknesses pointed out. The difficulties in
dealing with documents in Persian and Urdu,
especially when written in cursive hand, are
always to be kept in mind. It is generally
expected that a historian, whether British or
Indian, or any other, must combine the work of
decipherment, transcription and comprehension
with his own work. In serious historiography none
of these tasks can be farmed out.

There may be found in Persian/Urdu written in the
cursive hand (Shikasta) four possible variants,
and one has to know by context what word
represents the form at a particular place.

If one wants to write a history of the French
Revolution, one not only needs to know French but
should also be able to read cursively written
documents in the French of the time.
Unfortunately, there are very few people left who
can read Urdu and Persian, particularly the
Shikasta script which was once taught in schools
but is no longer being taught since Independence.
If Dalrymple is able to do so, he belongs to a
very small number of people who are competent in
this; and their number is steadily declining.
That is one major reason why archival material is
not being used as widely as it should be, and not
because historians are lazy. When Urdu was killed
by a conscious policy, a large part of our past
was naturally locked up for us.

The revolt of 1857 is not my field as a
specialist, and so I cannot say how far the stack
of 20,000 documents in Persian and Urdu in the
National Archives has stood "virtually unused".
The 20,000 papers may or may not have been
discovered for the first time by Dalrymple and
his colleagues-it is hard to tell, especially if
they haven't been catalogued and are therefore
inaccessible to ordinary historians. While as
described by Dalrymple, these must be
extraordinarily useful for the
history of Delhi in 1857, the number of
collections of Mutiny Papers in Urdu, Persian,
Hindi and English must be massive. There is an
enormous amount of documents scattered across
district headquarters-in the state archives in
Allahabad, Lucknow and Bhopal and elsewhere. So
enormous is the mass that all the documents are
not even completely listed in any one place as
yet. Every genuine find of documents is to be
welcomed. But it is also a fact of life that
documents continue to fall into obscure corners.
Some years ago, I found a British historian ruing
the fact that the private papers of one of the
leading British Free Traders of the 19th century
could no longer be traced. However, it is
important that the National Archives should
arrange for the documents to be catalogued and
made available on microfilm, so that a historian
working anywhere can read and use them. This has
been made possible in France for huge collections
of documents relating to the French Revolution. I
understand that the Indian Council of Historical
Research (ICHR) has recently started a project to
track all the available collections of documents,
including the printed papers, relating to the
1857 Revolt, but that's just the beginning.

Cataloguing all the documents will take years,
and even then the task is unlikely to be
complete. I may also mention that it is perhaps
unfair to say that there have been no pioneers in
the use of the raw indigenous documentation of
the mutiny. Syed Athar Abbas Rizvi published from
1957 onward six volumes of documents (including
one index volume) devoted to the Rebellion of
1857 and culled from various archives. Many of
the documents he used were translated by Rizvi
himself from the Persian and Urdu. And where
originals were not available in Persian or Urdu,
he reprinted the official English translations.

Rizvi tried as far as possible to project the
rebels' point of view. One must also remember
that, under British rule, unfettered work on the
mutiny was not possible. The official archives
hardly ever encouraged enquiries into them. V.D.
Savarkar's book on 1857, written in London, was
banned. But after Independence, there was a spurt
of books on 1857. Apart from Rizvi's six volumes,
there were works by S.N. Sen and R.C. Majumdar.
All three used Indian documents, though both Sen
and Majumdar had to use translations because they
themselves could not go to the originals in Urdu
or Persian. But their books were based on
material that had not been used in the British
period.

	Rizvi even wrote a book in Hindi on Delhi
during the mutiny that is largely based on
archival material. In 1957, Souren Roy (as
'Talmiz Khaldun') published a paper on 1857 based
on documents from the National Archives. In fact,
the whole emphasis of Indian historians since
Independence has been on presenting the rebels'
point of view. While the work may not be as
brilliant or as profound as one would like it to
be, the number of research theses on 1857 and
published monographs is not negligible. Many
research papers too have appeared. As for the
study of rebel consciousness as well as ordinary
people's responses to the upheaval, I would
particularly like to refer to Rajat K. Ray's The
Felt Community, which draws on a very extensive
array of sources.

I am not sure if I would endorse the demand that
using the British sources is a kind of sin that
needs to be avoided. Some data-fiscal, financial,
military and administrative-can come only from
British sources, since these could be assembled
only by a government, and the British governed
India. Ignoring or bypassing such material would
mean that we will not be able to understand the
"aggregates", and such phenomena as the regular
transfer of wealth from India to Britain, the
maximisation of revenue, the 'free-trade' imports
of British manufacturers causing the
industrialisation. All of these would be missed
if British documentation is not studied and
analysed.

Percival Spear and 'Talmiz Khaldun' were
doubtless pioneers in English in trying to look
at the Mutiny in Delhi from the eyes of the Delhi
court, citizenry and the sepoys. The fact that
the sepoys had to live and get the money out of
the Delhi citizenry always created problems for a
city under siege by an implacable enemy. This was
a situation partly specific to Delhi. But even so
the role of the mutineers in facing these
difficulties has been well underlined by Prof
Iqbal Husain, for example, in his essay on Bakht
Khan.

The reference to Bakht Khan brings me to consider
Dalrymple's rather unfortunate assumption that
the Wahabis and Muslim sepoys were somehow the
precursors of Al Qaeda and the Taliban. This
ignores the vital fact that religion in 1857 was
the medium through which a growing resentment
against the multiple inequities of the British
rule was expressed. Ray brings this out fairly
well. The Bengal Army sepoys throughout
maintained a surprising inter-communal unity
among them, a fact noted by Syed Ahmed Khan in
his Asbab Baghawat-i Hind. He admitted that the
Hindu and Muslim sepoys, having shed their blood
together for their British masters for so long,
were now so closely linked to each other in a
common brotherhood that they could not but fight
till the end once the uprising had begun. Such
anti-colonial spirit suggests analogies as strong
with Vietnam as with Iraq or Palestine. It would
be too narrow to see it in a 'jehad' framework of
our own creation.

How far do we deal with people in the mass or
seemingly impersonal factors on the one hand, and
take up individuals who by chance appear in our
records, is an important issue of historical
method.Sir Lewis Namier and his supporters raised
this question in British historiography with
their cult of private papers. But the history of
everyday life would be misleading if the larger
factors that generally escape notice in material
on everyday life are ignored. We may remember
that it was from using British official
statistics that the early Indian nationalists
deduced the process of increasing pauperisation
under British rule, forcing Lord Dufferin, the
viceroy in the 1880s, to order a wide-ranging
inquiry into the conditions of the Indian poor.
The inquiries largely confirmed the nationalist
case, as William Digby's ironically titled
Prosperous British India so well showed.

Ideally, history should combine the study of
individuals with information on the larger
issues. My grouse against the Subaltern
historians is not only their use of an
obscurantist terminology (which Dalrymple
comments on), but their tendency to stress
communities and localities and forget the
'aggregates'. Studying one weaver will not give
one the story of the distress of Indian weavers
under the regime of British Free Trade. For that,
one would need to examine customs statistics,
censuses, price-reports-mostly from official
records. The story of 19th century Indian
'deindustrialisation', a factor behind 1857,
among others, can be built up largely on the
basis of records of this kind alone. After all,
our past (the Mutiny included) is the collective
legacy of the whole Indian people, and not just
of certain specific fragments of it.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/