SACW | Sep 11-12, 2006 | Bangladesh crackdown on NGO; Pakistan Media; India: Malegaon / Satyagraha centenary is tokenism

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Sep 11 20:00:01 CDT 2006

South Asia Citizens Wire | September 11-12, 2006 | Dispatch No. 2285

[1]  Bangladesh: Proshika crackdown - Smacks of
persecution! (Editorial, Daily Star)
[2]  Nepal: Down With Monarchy, Bring On The
Republic (Baburam Bhattarai  interviewed by
Bharat Bhushan)
[3]  Pakistan: Limits of Media (Pervez Hoodbhoy)
[4]  India:  A self-belittling blame game (Jawed Naqvi)
[5]  India:  Lessons from Malegaon (Editorial , The Hindu)
[6]  India: Politics and religion don't mix (Kuldip Nayar)
[7]  India: Mocking The Man - Celebrating the
centenary of satyagraha is sheer tokenism
(Rudrangshu Mukherjee)
[8]  Upcoming Events:
  (i)   Ram Puniyani to a lecture on 'Terrorism
and Imperialism' (Trivandrum, 12 Sept)
(ii) The Gujarat genocide, four years later -
Talk by Dionne Bunsha (Montreal, 12 Sept)

___

[1]

The Daily Star
September 12, 2006

Editorial

PROSHIKA CRACKDOWN
SMACKS OF PERSECUTION!
ONE in a right frame of mind cannot but
characterise the subjection of one of the biggest
NGO in Bangladesh to mass arrest as an expression
of persecution mentality. It is difficult for one
to justify an action of the government that is
preemptive at its worst, merely on the grounds
that the said organisation was allegedly
preparing to send a large number of people to
participate in the opposition's programme planned
for next week. It is a repetition of the
treatment meted out to the NGO in 2004.

The point of contention is in the countrywide
wholesale arrest of officials of the said
organisation; and we are not aware that any
specific charge was communicated to the
management of the NGO and reportedly no warrant
of arrest was shown. Such an act is untenable not
only on legal grounds, the arrest of so many
officials all over the country of the NGO is
morally wrong too. After all, it is not a
political organisation, and the arrests of its
managerial level officers would certainly result
in serious disruption in its working. It not only
demonstrates a highhanded attitude of the
administration it would also send a very wrong
signal to the NGOs and the outside world in
general.

The suggestion that any anti-government stance
must be put down with a heavy hand does not go
with the culture of democracy. While no one is
above the law, no one is below it either.
Suspicion is not enough ground for what the
police are doing with the NGO. By all means
substantiate the allegation if there be any;
appropriate action under law can be justified
only if there is evidence that the organisation
has overstepped its terms of reference. We have
not been provided that evidence as yet. Till then
the action of the government will continue to
remain an unjustifiable act.

o o o

The Daily Star
September 12, 2006

Proshika closes 200 offices as crackdown on
http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/09/12/d6091201033.htm

The Telegraph
September 11, 2006

DOWN WITH MONARCHY, BRING ON THE REPUBLIC
TWENTY-TWENTY -BHARAT BHUSHAN

No compromises please

Except for Baburam Bhattarai, Delhi's Jawaharlal
Nehru University has only produced armchair
revolutionaries. He first theorized about Nepal's
development in his PhD thesis and then as a man
possessed, went on to put his theory into
practice - through an armed revolution.

Although initially a student of architecture,
Bhattarai's heart was not in designing buildings.
Instead, he conceptualized a new Nepal. Today,
his ideas on development based on regional,
ethnic and gender equity have been put firmly on
the national agenda. He is the main ideologue of
the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist).

After wielding a gun for 12 years, he argues for
peace in Nepal now. But as his interview shows,
he is no wary revolutionary.

Q. Why has the peace process stalled in Nepal?

A. The great April movement was launched on the
basis of the 12-point understanding between the
seven-party alliance and the Communist Party of
Nepal (Maoist). The main agenda was the abolition
of monarchy and the establishment of a democratic
republic with a progressive restructuring of
society. That is why people in their millions
joined the movement.

But on the very day this movement was stopped, we
became aware of an implicit design to sideline
the CPN (M) and forge a new alliance with the
discredited monarchy. After we reached the
8-point agreement in June, the foreign forces -
mainly the Americans - activated themselves. They
are now making fresh efforts to form an alliance
between the monarchy and the parliamentary
parties. Their design is to sideline the CPN (M).
This is where the talks are held up. But we are
still trying to see that they move forward.

Q. What are the Maoists willing to do to ensure
free and fair elections to the Constituent
Assembly?

A. We were the first to raise the demand for a
Constituent Assembly. But the parliamentary
parties, the monarchy and the Indian forces were
against this. Today it has been accepted as the
national agenda. When the political agenda
belongs to the CPN (M), then we should have a
leading role in its implementation. Without our
participation, there can be no Constituent
Assembly and there can be no free and fair
elections. But these forces - both internal and
external - are trying to keep the Maoists out of
political power. When there is a contradiction
between the policy and the leadership, then the
policy does not get implemented.

Q. Your adversaries claim that you have little
faith in pluralism. Anybody who differs with you
is criticized and attacked; your trade unions are
busting existing trade unions. Does this generate
any confidence about your belief in pluralism?

A. That is not true. People are trying to create
an excuse to keep the CPN (M) out of the interim
government and to not hold the Constituent
Assembly elections. After the ban on our
organization has been lifted, there is a big
upsurge in our favour. People from other trade
unions have been joining our union. This is their
natural democratic right. You can't blame us if
their cadre are deserting the political parties.

Q. Why are you trying to resolve issues in the
interim constitution which should be left for the
Constituent Assembly? The fate of the monarchy
was to be decided by the Constituent Assembly,
but you want to it be decided now. Are you doing
this because you are not sure of getting a
majority in the Constituent Assembly and want to
seal controversial issues in advance?

A. This is another big lie. The reality is that
the seven-party alliance which formed this
government is trying to institutionalize
ceremonial monarchy. All sorts of nonsensical
resolutions are being adopted by the parliament.
These people are trying to legitimize monarchy by
adopting succession laws and making cosmetic
changes in the monarchy to deceive the people.
They are not authorized by anyone to pass these
ridiculous laws. If they are going by the mandate
of the peoples' movement, then they should go for
a democratic republic right away. If not, they
should stop all this nonsense in the parliament
and go for the Constituent Assembly.

Q. Which specific issues should be settled in the interim constitution?

A. First, the interim position of the king has to
be made clear. Second, an interim security
mechanism should be evolved so that the Nepal
Army cannot interfere with elections. We are also
ready to manage our army and our weapons. Third,
the restored parliament, which does not represent
the mandate of the people, has to be dissolved
and replaced with an interim legislature with
representation from the seven-party alliance, the
CPN(M) and civil society.

And fourth, the mode of election and
representation in the Constituent Assembly has to
be decided. We have to create a modality so that
the oppressed regions, nationalities, women,
Madhesis and Dalits can be properly represented
in it. We should also decide whether to have a
first-past-the-post system or proportional
representation.

Q. The management of weapons of the two armies is
only a part of the process of creating the right
atmosphere for the Constituent Assembly
elections. What about intimidation by your cadre
even without weapons?

A. You must understand the reality. The main
fight has been with the mo- narchy, buttressed by
the Royal Nepal Army, whose name has now been
changed. The main danger to free and fair
elections is the Nepal Army and not the People's
Liberation Army. The PLA has been fighting for a
Constituent Assembly. The Nepal Army, which has
been fighting against it, is the main danger. I
fail to understand why people are not raising the
question the other way around.

Q. What should be the sequencing of arms management?

A. This has been made clear in the 12-point
understanding and the 8-point agreement that both
the armies - the Nepal Army and the PLA - would
be kept in separate barracks and the UN would
monitor them. After the election, both the armies
would be merged and a new national army would be
created.

Q. What are the specific pre-conditions that
should be met before you agree to arms management?

A. The whole thing should be decided as a
political package. This is a political insurgency
against a feudal and autocratic monarchy. Apart
from arms management, the creation of an interim
legislature, the creation of an interim
government and the election to the Constituent
Assembly should be decided as a package.

Q. The political process cannot begin unless the
technical issue of arms management is settled. So
why are you overloading a technical issue with
political goals?

A. This goes against the understanding and
agreement with the parliamentary parties. These
are inter-related issues. You can't pick one
issue at a time and settle it. This has not
happened with any insurgency anywhere. Nor will
it happen in Nepal.

Q. A summit level talk has been proposed within
the next few days. Are you confident that gaps
with the political parties will be bridged?

A. If the main political parties - particularly
G.P. Koirala and his party - stick to the
12-point understanding and the 8-point agreement,
then a solution can be found. If they back out
and attempt a new alliance with the monarchy
under pressure from the Americans, then it would
be difficult to find a solution. But we are fully
committed to finding a peaceful solution.

Q. Are you trying to marginalize the seven-party
leaders if they don't keep to their commitment by
threatening to launch another mass movement?

A. We don't want to marginalize anybody and no
one can manipulate the people. We believe in the
supremacy of the masses. But the present
government is going against the mandate of the
people and is losing ground. We are worried for
them. If they ignore that mandate and compromise
with the monarchy, then they will marginalize
themselves.

Q. What happens if this peace process does not succeed?

A. We earnestly hope that it does. The people
want both peace and change in Nepal. We are a
poor country and we want faster and equitable
development. We can't afford to prolong this
conflict forever. So we will do our best to make
the peace process a success. But in case foreign
forces play mischief and instigate the rulers
here, the process will not succeed. Then we will
have to go through another mass movement to
complete this democratic revolution. We are
preparing for that too.

The Citizen! - Newsletter of the Helpline Trust

Dear All,

Last night (6th September) I tested the limits of
media freedom. Geo TV asked me to be one of the
guests for a live program on Defence Day when our
glorious army had the greatest victory of all
history. General Omer and Air Marshal Sheikh from
Karachi, and me plus a wimpy ex-ambassador, Tariq
Fatimi, from Islamabad. Well, they all prattled
on about the importance of 1965, power, strength,
etc. until I get my first chance to speak or,
rather, launch a broadside. So I went into 1971,
Kargil, and the fact that this glorious army has
been throwing bombs and machine gunning the
Pakistani population in places like Balochistan
and Waziristan, and the only war it has won has
been against our own people. The anchor
(Chughtai) kept interrupting me but I fended him
off until it appeared useless and then I threw
off the microphone and walked off. The link to
Karachi, where the anchor was based with the two
military men, mysteriously broke so I do not know
whether this walkout was visible. Actually, I
have no idea of how much I said was heard, even
though it was a live program because at home our
TV does not work. Anyhow, I reached the elevator
outside and a bunch of Geo people came to
persuade me that I should return and complete
what I had been saying. They said they liked very
much what I was saying and they hate the army. So
I did go back. The anchorman eventually returned
to me and asked me about the economy. So I
launched a second broadside about the army having
eaten Pakistan out of
the house, having become real estate sharks,
forcibly capturing industries. I ended by saying
that fauj ka kam mulk ka difah karma hai, cheenee
aur dalia banana nahin hai - yeh ploton aur
murrabon ka karobar chor dain. He cut me off once
again and launched into panegyrics of the great
sacrifices of the army! So there you have it.
This country lives in terror of its occupiers and
murderers of our people. Unless we get rid of
this parasitic entity known as the Pakistan Army,
we are all done for. Whether the ISI comes
knocking at my door today or not, the truth had
to be said.  Pervez

-----------
Pervez Hoodbhoy
Professor of Physics
Quaid-e-Azam University
Islamabad 45320, Pakistan.

Dawn
September 11, 2006

A SELF-BELITTLING BLAME GAME
by Jawed Naqvi

INDIAN participants at international seminars on
terrorism resent being assigned a regional role
in the global campaign to thwart the menace. They
believe the world makes an avoidable distinction
between the countless terror attacks that have
unsettled India for decades and those that
galvanised the rest of the international
community to wage a global campaign against the
perpetrators of Sept 11 for example.

Seen from the record of official statements that
follow big or small attacks in India, the
establishment in New Delhi looks as culpable as
the international community in India's
insignificant role in the global war on
terrorism. In other words India's obsessive
finger-pointing at President Musharraf and his
generals for every violent incident at home gives
the world an excuse to label New Delhi's
headaches as essentially Pakistan-focused.

This is more or less what several international
commentators, including The Economist also
implied in the aftermath of July's Bombay blasts.
The British magazine even pitched for a solution
to the Kashmir tangle to prevent future attacks
in India, an idea that is difficult for the
Indian establishment to accept. Thus even if
blaming Pakistan for its problems with organised
violence is rooted in verifiable facts the net
result for the Indian interlocutors at
international seminars is that they only get to
be seen as Pakistan-centric and thus, of little
use to the strategies needed to fight the scourge
in Europe and Afghanistan, the two rising
theatres of the intractable war.

Often the finger-pointing defies credibility.
Friday's attack in Malegaonthat killed dozens of
Muslim devotees at a Shab-i-Barat congregation
should have put a check on this obsession with
Pakistan. But this was not to be.

Senior politicians like former premier Vajpayee
took the view that peace talks with Pakistan
should be suspended in view of the Malegaon
blasts. TV anchors were pressing for analyses
that fitted their view of Pakistan as being
somehow responsible for the murder of the
Malegaon Muslims. Weeks before Friday's incident,
Hindu extremist websites were pointing to
Malegaon - the Muslim-majority town in
Maharashtra - where the plot to blow up the
trains in Bombay was alleged to have been
hatched. One poisonous message mocked the
government's soft handling of Muslims.

"The Mohammeds of Mumbai are all good citizens.
They are Islamic, i.e. peace-loving people. They
can not harbour any terrorists. That means all
those thousands of Bangladeshi Muslims (if they
really exist) are actually living under the
Arabian SeaŠ. (and that's why police can never
find them. Now I see.) The police said yesterday
that "the blasts were planned in Malegaon".
Strange coincidence that Malegaon has 60 per cent
Muslim population and Central government reports
estimate another 2,50,000 Bangladeshis in
Malegaon and rest of Maharashtra."

Perhaps Mr Vajpayee and like-minded people in the
media should glean a few hard facts from the
Malegaon story as it has been analysed by
independent and unbiased journalists. One such
analysis was published in The Hindu on Saturday.

The Hindu's story begins in April, when Hindu
extremists of the Bajrang Dal - Naresh Raj
Kondwar and Himanshu Phanse - were killed while
attempting to fabricate an improvised explosive
device along with their fellow extremists Maruti
Wagh, Rahul Pande, and Ramraj Guptewar.
Investigators later recovered a second bomb from
the Nanded home where the bomb-making exercise
was under way, and evidence that the extremists
had struck before.

Maharashtra Police found that Kondwar and Phanse
were the key figures in the April 2006 bombing of
a mosque at Parbhani, in which 25 people were
injured. Bajrang Dal operatives linked to the
Nanded terror cell are believed to have carried
out the bombing of mosques at Purna and Jalna in
April 2003. Eighteen people sustained injuries in
these twin attacks.

What disturbed the Maharashtra Police most about
the Nanded explosion, though, was that it
demonstrated the Bajrang Dal's growing
bomb-making capabilities. In an interview to the
magazine Communalism Combat earlier this year,
K.P. Raghuvanshi, Joint Commissioner of Police,
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad, admitted that
the Nanded incident could have "frightening
repercussions."

Despite police concerns, the Maharashtra
Government has been reluctant to take on the
Bajrang Da, says The Hindu. It fears this would
provide political capital to organisations such
as the Shiv Sena. Although Mr. Raghuvanshi acidly
noted that the bombs were "not being manufactured
for a puja," the Congress-Nationalist Congress
Party Government refused to consider proscribing
the Bajrang Dal.

"Politics underpins this paralysis," the
newspaper said. Both the Congress and the NCP
have run a successful campaign of poaching
directed at middle level Shiv Sena leaders, and
believe that action which might be considered
'anti-Hindu' would give the religious Right a new
lease of life. At the same time, the decaying
Hindu far Right sees Muslim terrorism, and the
widespread anxieties it has generated through
India, as a means of stemming the secular tide.

Each mosque bombing is, in this vision, an act
through which the frayed political legitimacy of
groups such as the Bajrang Dal will be restored.
Just how capable Hindu fundamentalist groups are
of executing such a project is unclear, for
already stretched police forces have paid little
attention to the emerging threat. If a Hindu
fundamentalist group did carry out the Malegaon
attack, it would demonstrate a significant
increase in their capabilities.

In its balanced analysis, The Hindu cautioned
against any hasty conclusions to run away with.
Muslim terror groups too have demonstrated their
willingness to stage large-scale attacks against
shrines and mosques in West Asia, Pakistan, and
even Jammu and Kashmir, in the hope of securing
their political objectives, it said.

Malegaon was once known for its flourishing
power-loom industry. But recession and a long
history of riots have made the town one of the
most communally fragile places in Maharashtra.
Along with Bhiwandi and Thane, Malegaon has been
declared an ultra-sensitive zone by the
Maharashtra Government.

Almost 75 per cent of Malegoan's population of
700,000 is Muslim -- mostly descendant of
migrants from Uttar Pradesh who came searching
for jobs in the mills, and refugees from the
post-Partition riots in Hyderabad. "However,
industrial recession led first to widespread
criminalisation among the young -- and then a
turning to the religious Right in search of
divine redemption where the state had failed,"
says the paper.

In 1992, the town itself saw large-scale
violence. Provoked by the demolition of the Babri
Masjid, the riots reflected the political
position of Islamists who attributed the
hardships of Malegaon's Muslims to the Indian
state's 'Hindu' character. Violence broke out
again in October 2001, this time after the police
attacked demonstrators calling for a boycott of
United States-manufactured goods in the wake of
its attack on the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

These and similar facts could help analyse a
horrendous tragedy more objectively than it suits
the likes of Mr. Vajpayee to admit. Indian
interlocutors at international seminars would win
a lot more respect if they presented a forthright
assessment of the social malaise in India that
makes it vulnerable to sectarian attacks. A
distilled analysis along these lines would be a
unique lesson for the world to glean from India's
experience. It would be able to see how not one
but different religious and ethnic groups can
make a country vulnerable to terror attacks from
within. Shorn of the self-belittling blame game
India would then have a serious contribution to
make to the understanding of the root causes of
terrorism worldwide.

The Hindu
Sep 11, 2006

Editorial

LESSONS FROM MALEGAON

The fact that Friday's terror attack in Malegaon
did not instantly translate into communal riots
in that divided and volatile town is no cause for
euphoria. For the ground realities give little
cause for reassurance that those who perpetrated
this atrocity will not succeed in triggering more
death and destruction. Although not every town
that has a mix of Hindus and Muslims is
necessarily a communal tinderbox, there are
specific reasons for the perception that Malegaon
is one. At the root of the problem is the
communal divide combining with the abject neglect
of infrastructure in a town that once had a
thriving powerloom industry. Today, the 800,000
residents of Malegaon have little by way of basic
services. The absence of medical facilities
became painfully evident on Friday when the
grievously wounded had to be sent 55 kilometres
away to the nearest decent hospital in Dhule. The
fact that some relatives of blast victims refused
to accept monetary compensation and instead
demanded that the government provide civic
infrastructure reinforces the argument that the
causes of alienation from the system often lie in
the lack of provision of such facilities. This
feeling of neglect by the state emerged as one of
the factors responsible for violence in several
parts of Maharashtra in the recent past. A
Statewide survey mapping violence-affected areas
in Maharashtra conducted two years ago by the
Centre for Dialogue and Reconciliation, a
non-governmental organisation, identified 20-odd
small or big towns and villages, including
Malegaon. Of these, five had seen serious
communal riots, and 16 had witnessed communal
incidents in the preceding two years. Although
the causes of the outbreak were specific to the
area, the common concerns that emerged were the
way local politicians exploited these clashes,
the perceived partisanship of the police, and the
belief among the local population that the
government did not care about their needs.

Malegaon also reminds us of the importance of
dealing with the past instead of trying to bury
it. The last major communal clash in this town
took place in 2001. The Maharashtra Government
instituted an inquiry commission headed by a
retired judge of the Bombay High Court, K.N.
Patil, to look into the causes of the riots.
Although the report has been ready for some time,
it is yet to be made public; nor has any action
been taken. Earlier this year, a bomb-making
factory was uncovered in Nanded when an explosion
in a house killed two Bajrang Dal activists.
There have also been attacks on mosques in
Parbhani, Purna, and Jalna, which investigators
believe were carried out by Bajrang Dal
operatives linked to the Nanded terror cell. The
challenge has been acknowledged in the
Maharashtra Legislative Assembly by no less a
person than Home Minister R. R. Patil. Yet the
cases have not been pursued with any kind of
diligence by the State authorities, presumably on
the reasoning that any action that can be
depicted as `anti-Hindu' might play into the
hands of the Shiv Sena and other Hindutva
organisations. It is imperative that the
investigation into the terrorist attack at
Malegaon be even-handed and make a swift
breakthrough.

Gulf News
09/09/2006

POLITICS AND RELIGION DON'T MIX

By Kuldip Nayar, Special to Gulf News

Whoever advised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to
have a meeting with Muslim religious leaders did
not serve him well. The very idea of a secular
polity mixing religion with the law and order
problem has serious repercussions. The Prime
Minister's meeting has established a court of
appeal of sorts. Unwittingly, the exercise has
put the entire Muslim community in the dock while
Mumbai bomb blasts were the handiwork of only a
few.

Autonomy

If terrorism is the determining factor, the
government should have had a meeting with Sikh
religious leaders when Punjab was burning.
Similarly, the Nagaland is all Christian. No
religious leader has been associated with the
talks on the quantum of autonomy for the Nagas.
In the past, Manmohan Singh resisted a meeting
with religious leaders it was to discuss the
anti-America feeling among the Muslims following
the visit of US President George W. Bush to
India. So why did the Prime Minister agree to
meet them this time? Was it a move to win over
Muslims?

Manmohan Singh was, however, on the right track
when he addressed state chief ministers and
advised them "to treat the community with
sensitivity". This was long over due. The Muslim
community is treated indiscriminately and the
sins of Pakistan still visit them. True, the
nation has been shocked to find terrorists among
Indian Muslims because the impression so far has
been different: they were praised for not
responding to the Taliban's call for jihad in
their fight at Afghanistan.

To put the blame on the Muslim community or to
pick up "Muslim suspects" at random, as it has
been done after Mumbai blasts, is not to deal
with the problem squarely. This is, in fact, what
the Al Qaida wants so that it may recruit from
the community the innocent who go through untold
indignities at the hands of police almost daily.

The fact is that there are chinks in our
pluralistic policy. We must analyse where the
nation has gone wrong and why some Muslims have
become so desperate that they have opted to
become part of the network which they had shunned
in the past. We should also find out how the
contamination began and when. Some say it was
after the demolition of the Babri masjid while
some attribute it to the happenings in Gujarat.

Both arguments may well be true. I think they are
contributory factors. The real reason is
economic. Muslims' share in the cake has been
very small. They have been left to fend for
themselves. When the affluent from among them
left for Pakistan after partition, the artisans,
craftsmen and the like stayed behind because they
did not want to leave the land of their
forefathers. They could not afford education for
their children. The government did little.

Education

Unfortunately, education was not on the priority
list of post-independent government. A special
attention to the minorities was not even
considered pertinent. I do not know why India's
first Education Minister Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
could not have his way when he reportedly
proposed some "weightage" for Muslims.

Besides education, there are many other fields
where Muslims have felt discriminated,
particularly while finding accommodation. They
have to live in certain localities where they are
bound to acquire the ghetto mentality.

Even in the redress of grievances they find
authorities treating them with disdain. That the
community has been used as a vote bank is nothing
new.

This has happened election after election.
Promises made to them were mere promises. On the
other hand, the Muslims who were on the defensive
for nearly four decades have begun to speak up.
They were held responsible for the partition of
the country which the majority community felt had
brought it all ills. But their argument now is
that two generations had paid the price if that
was what was sought to be exacted. In any case,
the youth believes that the "sins of their
forefathers should not visit them". Why should
they be denied their due?

Whenever Hindu-Muslim riots have broken out, the
Muslim community finds that the authorities are
generally on the side of Hindus and, at some
places, the police even help them. Many
commissions have pointed this out in their
reports but no action has been taken against the
erring policemen. The Muslim community has every
right to feel bitter. But the betrayal of the
country by some of its members is unthinkable.
Some Hindus also have done so but seldom in the
name of religion.

The blasts at Varanasi, Bangalore, Delhi and now
in Mumbai have not only tarnished the image of
Muslim community but have made the BJP and other
Sangh parivar members say: "We told you so". The
RSS efforts to convert pluralistic India into a
theocratic state get strengthened. The problem
with the parivar is that it has not yet
appreciated the pluralistic ethos of the country.

The few Muslim terrorists remind me of Sikh
terrorists who were able to spoil the peace of
Punjab for many years. Bhindranwale was a
symptom, not the disease. Still, the entire
community suffered terribly.

I want to offer the same advice to the Muslim
terrorists as I did in the case of Sikh
terrorists long ago. During my recent trips to
the US and the UK, I repeated it. The few Muslims
who have been driven to terrorism because of the
"circumstances" should realise that the
government and the country are two separate
entities. Mistakes of one should not visit the
other. Governments can be changed through the
ballot box. But the harm rendered to the country
is irreparable.

Likewise, the Muslim community should realise
that their grievance is against the government
which can be changed through the ballot box. Any
harm to the country is indefensible. As
Jawaharlal Nehru said, who dies if India lives
and who lives if India dies? Our forefathers
sacrificed all to free the country from bondage.
Now it requires peace and unity for economical
development. By indulging in killings and
destruction, we only stall its progress.

Kuldip Nayar is a former Indian High Commissioner
to the UK and a former Rajya Sabha MP.

The Telegraph
September 10, 2006

MOCKING THE MAN
- Celebrating the centenary of satyagraha is sheer tokenism
Rudrangshu Mukherjee

Before the loincloth

Indians love anniversaries so much that they
invent them. Historians are agreed that there is
not a shred of evidence to declare September 7,
2006 to be the centenary of Vande Mataram. But
someone - nobody is owning responsibility -
decided that a centenary of Vande Mataram was
needed, and thus the nation was sent into a tizzy.

Another centenary is about to be celebrated,
albeit with far less fanfare. Saturday's
newspapers - or at least some of them - carried
an advertisement in the name of Gandhi Smriti and
Darshan Samiti which is an autonomous body under
the ministry of culture. This advertisement
announces that September 11, 2006 marks the
hundred years of satyagraha. The history behind
this claim needs to be narrated since it is not
too well known.

On August 22, 1906, the Transvaal Government
Gazette Extraordinary published a new ordinance
affecting the lives of Indian settlers in the
area. By the new ordinance every Indian, Arab and
Turk of eight years and above entitled to reside
in the Transvaal would have to register his or
her name with the Registrar of Asiatics and take
out a certificate of registration. Failure to
comply would result in a fine of 100 pounds and
imprisonment and even deportation. Further, the
new ordinance gave the police extraordinary
powers. The police could enter private houses to
inspect the certificates. They could challenge
people anywhere and ask them to produce
certificates. Refusal or failure to produce the
certificates would be deemed an offence
punishable by fines or imprisonment.

Gandhi, as a leader of the Indian community in
South Africa, was convinced that such an
ordinance would threaten the very existence of
Indians in the Transvaal. He decided to mobilize
public opinion against the ordinance. He
translated the draft ordinance into Gujarati and
published it in Indian Opinion, the journal he
had founded in 1904. A conference was held of the
leading Indians, and it was resolved there to
agitate publicly against the proposed ordinance.
Gandhi also met the colonial secretary to present
the views of the Indian community. The colonial
secretary replied that these views and
suggestions would be considered. On September 4,
the bill was introduced in the assembly.

On September 11 - the date which is being
commemorated on Monday - a mass meeting of
Indians was held at Johannesburg at the Jewish
Empire Theatre. More than three thousand people
were present at the meeting. The most important
resolution to be passed in the meeting was the
one by which those present resolved not to submit
to the ordinance and to suffer the consequences
that would follow from such non-compliance.
Through Gandhi's unique intervention, the
resolution became a solemn pledge. The message of
the meeting spread swiftly and in meetings held
across the region, men and women took pledges of
resistance.

It is important to underline here that what
happened in September 1906 was the taking of a
pledge of resistance. The resistance had not
started because the law had not been passed. As
Gandhi was to write in 1908, "An oath was taken
in September 1906 not to submit to the law.
Submission to the law was the only issue at that
time. The regulations made under it in July 1907
did not then exist." Yet Gandhi dated the
beginning of what he in 1906 called "passive
resistance" to the Johannesburg meeting of
September 11, 1906.

In terms of activity, Gandhi concentrated on the
legal means to subvert the new ordinance. He
approached the government with petitions and
memorials, and led a delegation to London to
convince the British government to intervene. He
preferred to exhaust the legal channels even
though he knew that there was little chance of
the law being withdrawn.

Gandhi was right in his reading of the situation.
In March 1907, the ordinance became an act which
received the royal assent in May. The act would
come into effect from July 1, and Indians were
required to register under it by July 31. In
response, Gandhi established the Passive
Resistance Association which began to organize
meetings in the open and to administer oaths to
resisters.

Indians were asked to boycott the permit offices
the government had set up in the various Indian
localities. Volunteers moved from house to house
urging people not to register. Each and every
permit office was picketed. Volunteers, with
badges, were placed on the roads to persuade
those who were going to register. The volunteers
were not to use any coercion on those who wanted
to register. The process allowed volunteers to
identify the handful who did register. The
volunteers, led by a captain, were instructed to
surrender to the police if they were beaten up or
arrested. Gandhi and the other leaders were
arrested at the end of December 1907. This was
Gandhi's first arrest, more than one year after
September 11, 1906.

Gandhi was thus using the same techniques that he
would use on a much greater scale in India during
the mass movements he led in the Twenties and the
Thirties.

The term satyagraha grew out of the movement.
Gandhi found the term "passive resistance"
inadequate to describe the nature of the
struggle. He wanted a term that conveyed a moral
force; he wanted an Indian name. A small prize
was announced in Indian Opinion for the best
suggestion. Maganlal Gandhi suggested sadagraha
(firmness in a good cause). Gandhi liked the word
but he felt it did not capture the idea in its
totality. He altered it to satyagraha, "the force
which is born of truth and love or non-violence".
The term was probably first used sometime in late
1907 on the pages of Indian Opinion, the journal
that had become synonymous with satyagraha in
South Africa.

This narrative events about the beginnings of
satyagraha creates problems about its 100th
anniversary. Is it correct to call September 11,
1906, the birthday of satyagraha since on that
day only a pledge to resist was taken, the
satyagraha was not launched? If this logic is
accepted, should the birth of India's
independence be pushed back from 1947 to the year
the Purna Swaraj resolution was adopted?

The other option is to use the date when the
satyagraha was actually launched, i.e. some time
in July 1907. Or, as some purists could argue,
the date on which Gandhi first used the term
satyagraha as distinct from passive resistance.

These points are more than factual quibbles. The
bigger issue that needs to addressed is the
meaninglessness of anniversaries. This is
specially true for Gandhi, a man who hated
tokenism. What else is the celebration of an
anniversary concerning Gandhi but tokenism? India
as a nation and as a society has turned its back
in every possible way on the man it has placed on
the pedestal of father of the nation? How does
the date of an anniversary matter when the man
and his message have ceased to matter?

How long are we going to mock a frail man in a loincloth?

_____

[8]  UPCOMING EVENTS

(i)

Save the date for a KCHR event

Dear friend,

Greetings from Kerala Council for Historical Research [KCHR]

We cordially invite you with friends to a Colloquium on 12th Sept, 2006

Prof. Ram Puniyani, renowned social activist and
thinker, will deliver a lecture on

'Terrorism and Imperialism'

Venue: KCHR Hall, Vailoppilly Samskrithi Bhavan, Thiruvananthapuram

at 11 AM., Tuesday, 12th Sept, 2006

Prof. KN Panikkar Chairman KCHR will preside over the function.

We look forward to your presence

With Warm regards
Director
KCHR

Ram Puniyani is Professor in Biomedical
Engineering at the Indian Institute of
Technology, Powai. Apart from his teaching and
research activities, he pursues a parallel track
concerned with issues related to social problems,
particularly the ones related to preservation of
democratic and secular ethos in our life.

He also has serious interest in understanding the
Human Rights of weaker sections of society. He is
currently head of EKTA, Committee for Communal
Amity, Mumbai and has been associated with
different secular initiatives for many years.

He has also been engaged in understanding global
and local changes, which have resulted in
communal violence. He is particularly concerned
with the adverse effects of globalisation and the
rise of fundamentalism, particularly in India.

Dr. Puniyani has contributed articles to various
magazines and journals on these themes. He has
authored three books around these subjects:
'Fascism of Sangh Parivar', 'The Other Cheek' and
'Communal Politics: an illustrated primer'.

At present Dr. Puniyani is continuing with his
endeavour to understand these phenomena with a
focus on human relationships geared around
substantive liberty, equality and fraternity.

_____

(ii)

"Living in a State of Terror - The Gujarat genocide, four years later"

Talk by Dionne Bunsha, award-winning journalist from India

Tuesday 12 September, 6pm
Lecock Building, Room 26, McGill University
855 Sherbrooke Street West [Montreal]

Organized by: McGill Centre for Research and
Teaching on Women (MCRTW), South Asian Women's
Community Centre (SAWCC), and CERAS (Centre sur
l'asie du sud).

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/