SACW | Aug 10-12, 2006 |

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Aug 11 22:14:02 CDT 2006

South Asia Citizens Wire | August 10-12, 2006 | Dispatch No. 2280

[1]  Pakistan - India: Why We Light Candles at Wagah (Kuldip Nayar)
[2]  Pakistan:  Exclusion of the people (Tahir Mirza)
[3]  India: 'On proliferation of violence and of
ethnic cleansing' (Arjun Appadurai)
[4]  India: Review of Documentary Film on Habib
Tanvir - Rooted in theatre (Shayoni Mitra)
[5]  Petition by 'Concerned Indians and Friends
of India' to recall Indian Ambassador to Israel
[6]  Upcoming Events:
   (i) 25 years of Saheli - celebration and discussion (New Delhi, August 12)
   (ii) Workshop on Combatting Communalism (Bicholim, Goa 12-15 August 2006)

___

[1]

Tehelka
Aug 12 , 2006

WHY WE LIGHT CANDLES AT WAGAH

Diplomatic peace initiatives will remain
insubstantial unless the people they affect are
also allowed to engage with each other

by Kuldip Nayar

Whenever relations between India and Pakistan hit
their lows, people ask me why we light candles at
Wagah, does it work? I, at least, have found that
when there were no candles burning, there was a
lot more tension between the two countries. Even
at the height of our present ensnarement, the
tension is now very little. When we started 12
years ago, there were only 15 people lighting
candles, saying we want peace with Pakistan,
nothing else. Last year, there were as many as
half-a-million people, all saying the same thing.
So the lighting of these candles is material only
in the sense that we create a kind of awareness,
a climate between the two countries.

When I took the first parliamentary delegation to
Pakistan, you should have seen the faces there,
as if people who had lost each other had been
brought together again. People there talked about
the same things that you hear in India, the same
aspirations, and said that though our countries
were different we must be friends. Even
organisations like the Jamaat-e-Islami came to
meet us.

There is nothing wrong with lighting candles.
What is wrong is what fails to follow. We have
been speaking not for greater political
interaction but for things like more
people-to-people contact. The government has
started buses, opened new routes across the
border, but when it comes to giving visas, there
are more government staff in the way than
visa-seekers can hurdle. So the buses are going
empty. The governments of India and Pakistan have
not followed up the gesture of opening up new
routes of access by actually giving access.

We want the border between India and Pakistan to
become soft one day - we want crossing to be so
simple that people can just show their passports
and get entry to the other side. Soft borders do
not pose a threat to sovereignty. Both countries
can keep their own identities. At present, all
the peace buses regardless, contact has not been
established at all and there is a lot of
animosity and misunderstanding between the people
of the two countries. We don't know about each
other and the information we get in our
newspapers is all through foreign news agencies.
Reuters, AFP and AP cover Pakistan and India. We
don't even cover each other's news, so our
information is wrong and always motivated.

A Hand To A Hand: A Pakistani Ranger greets his Indian counterpart
AP Photo

There is nothing wrong with lighting candles.
What's wrong is what fails to follow
With the process we have started, we hope the
government will one day be convinced to relax
visas. To start with, now, today, announce small
changes. Instead of giving Pakistanis visas for
three cities, as the practice is at present, give
them visas for six cities. That itself will make
a difference. Today, every Pakistani who comes to
India is subjected to a harassing search, even a
person like the human rights activist, Asma
Jehangir. Do something to make this a less
humiliating process.

I agree that there has to be peace for there to
be peace, but we should not be as quick as we are
to jump to conclusions. There is a suspicion that
Pakistanis were behind the Bombay blasts. Is it
true? Is there a possibility that home-grown
terrorists might have been involved? It isn't so
unlikely. We've had the Babri Masjid. We've had
Gujarat. What did we do? And do we not have the
spectre of 1984, for which, till today, we have
not found a single person guilty for the massacre
of 3000 Sikhs? So, we have to answer the basic
question: do we have an environment where we
treat all Indians as equal Indians?

I think that when governments in India start
pointing fingers at Pakistan, they do it because
it is an easy way to divert attention from their
own failures, of intelligence, of coordination.
Pakistan is a readymade scapegoat. I am not
saying that the Pakistani government is innocent.
There may indeed be some Pakistani involvement.
But let us find out the facts before we begin
calling for blood. True we have gone to war
thrice, but now we say 'Peace. Conciliation,' all
the time. How do we achieve that? Take these
peace talks, why should they suffer, let them go
on. Nothing has come out of them so far - but
that is not to say that something cannot come
from them on a day that is not necessarily far
off.

We must understand one thing - relations between
India and Pakistan are like the climate in the
subcontinent. Hot, hotter, hottest. Sometimes it
gets hotter, but the minimum is always hot.

I find it bizarre when people ask how long India
can be charitable or generous with Pakistan when
there is no reciprocation. When was India ever
charitable? In issuing visas! They give three
cities, we give three cities; they have police
checks we have police checks. The only difference
is that they have a military government in
Pakistan and here we have an open, democratic
society. But when it comes to peace initiatives,
both our countries behave exactly the same way.

Recently, India hosted a South Asian conference
on peace initiatives. Representative from all
South Asian countries were present but only
Pakistanis were searched and only they were
questioned. It is a mindset, a bureaucratic
mindset. Politicians are led by bureaucrats and
that is why governments will never be able to
make peace. We have to associate the people in
the peace process. The peace process cannot
succeed unless the people who are engaged in it
are also associates on both sides.

Involve people who are not hawks, who don't start
with the idea that Pakistanis are enemies. I
reiterate that I am not exonerating Pakistan. The
isi has been doing terrible things here. You can
always find an intractable kind of Pakistani, but
one can't deal with Pakistan by behaving the same
way. Moreover, our Hindu-Muslim problem adds
further complexities to Indo-Pak relations. I
don't think that bringing Hindu-Muslim tension
down is an unrealistic hope. We have the
democratic set-up that gives equal importance to
all citizens. But, at the same time, can it be
denied that 140 million Muslims are not being
treated as equal citizens? Although they are
educationally and economically backward, what
steps has the government taken so far to
ameliorate their social status? The Indian Muslim
deserves to be credited for being an Indian first
and a Muslim later. Muslims from all over the
world went to Afghanistan to join jehad; no
Indian was among them. For that matter, no Indian
Muslim from outside Kashmir has gone to Kashmir
to fight against the Indian State.

It suits the Sangh Parivar, including the bjp, to
foster hatred and distrust between Hindus and
Muslims because it gets them votes. If India and
Pakistan could achieve some thaw in relations
during the bjp-led nda regime, it was because of
Atal Behari Vajpayee. And here is where the role
of civil society comes in. We have to keep trying
to form a truly democratic and secular India
where there is no communalism.

Lighting candles at Wagah symbolises peace. By
transmitting a message for friendship, we are
hoping that Indians and Pakistanis will one day
shed their hostilities and misunderstandings. I
even hope to see South Asia eventually become one
economic unit, like the European common market.
It's a dream that I believe will come true in the
next generation's lifetime, if not in mine. It is
only then that we will realise Gandhi's vision of
Independence. Imagine what we will attain.

Nayar is a senior journalist

Dawn
August 11, 2006

EXCLUSION OF THE PEOPLE

by Tahir Mirza

TELEVISION stations donned green early in
preparation for the country's 59th Independence
Day on August 14. Discussions and talk shows have
been the staple of programming over the past few
days.

How many of us will bother to look at the past as
we mark Independence Day? Will some of us count
the number of independence anniversaries that we
have celebrated under martial law or with
military-led governments in power? Or even how
most things have remained unchanged over the past
many decades?

In an editorial marking the 10th independence
anniversary of the country, which surely must
have been seen as a great landmark, the old
Pakistan Times wrote, inter alia: "In public and
in private, inside homes and out in the market
place, the speech of the people is sick with
disgust and frustration, streaked with impotent
anger. There are many reasons for this, but there
is one basic cause which enters into them all.
And this basic cause is the complete exclusion of
the people from the power which should have
devolved on them with the coming of independence,
the power which has been rightfully theirs ever
since this day ten years ago, but has been
withheld from them by a succession of
self-appointed coteries.

"For ten years, one person (or a group of
persons) after another, with the help of few
cronies, and camp-followers, has set himself up
as the custodian of the people's political
belongings, and each such regime has been
speedily undone by the jealousies, intrigues, and
machinations of rival pretenders.

"With the passage of time these conflicts in the
ruling camp have sharpened, the methods of
attaining or retaining power have become more
ruthless and more corrupt, the contact between
the ruler and the ruled becomes steadily more
remote. Crisis, emergencies, deadlocks,
enthronements and dethronements, squabbles and
hand -- clasps, attachments and detachments, are
all enacted within the same small group which
changes shape and colour with every change of
season and ever remains the same.

In none of these transactions have the people
ever had a hand and in many of them even the
present hand-picked legislators are allowed
little voice. And this is the cause -- this
arrogation of power by an apparently irremovable
few, this forcible suspension of the peoples'
right to choose their own governments and call
them to account through popular institutions --
for all our ills, political, economic, moral, and
psychological." *

This was just a year before the country's first
martial law that formally inducted the military
into the "same small group which changes shape
with every change of season and ever remains the
same". Now of course the military dominates this
elitist power group, and the people continue to
be confronted with the arrogation of power by an
"apparently irreplaceable few". If in such
circumstances, there is a sense of despair rather
than joy, cynicism rather than faith at national
anniversaries, should anyone be surprised?

If in 1957, when the country had seen only
civilian, political governments, however venal
they may have been, there was so much frustration
as reflected in the rather longish Pakistan Times
excerpt above, what can be the level of popular
alienation at the present time? We continually
alternate between political parties with selfish
agendas and the armed forces whose passion for
governance and for reforming and civilising us
remains undimmed despite all the previous
experiences.

If military governance was a factor that was not
applicable then, another element that was
non-existent in the form in which we know it
today was the dominance of the political agenda
by the conservatives and the religious parties.
Both elements had made their appearance by that
time in one form or another -- the
fundamentalist-driven anti-Ahmadiya agitation in
1953, leading to the imposition of limited
martial law. But neither the military nor the
maulvi had become such an imposition as now.
Religious revivalism had not come to permeate
every level of society as it does now, thanks
again to a military dictator, Gen Ziaul Haq.

So, in other words, the political situation may
have become worse and more complicated since 1957
even if the country has advanced on the economic
front. The tragedy is that there doesn't appear
to be much realisation of this sad reality either
by the political parties or civil society. Our
failure to develop vibrant institutions,
including political organisations, and to
preserve and strengthen the existing ones has
been abysmal. Our responses to political
developments at home and abroad remain retarded.
Rule of law and constitutional proprieties win
only the most perfunctory of nods from ministers
and officials. The checks and balances considered
necessary in an accountable democracy are seen
here more as irritants that prevent a dynamic
leadership from getting ahead and getting work
done. The representative character of governments
fashioned by the military such as the present PML
government remains questionable.

You can continue to point out things like this
till you are blue in the face, and the official
reaction remains the same: one of indifference.
Even small irritants never get addressed: Mr
Sharifuddin Pirzada remains part of governments
as a minister or adviser, and so far his advice
has only led us into even murkier constitutional
eddies. Enjoying the status of a federal minister
in the present set-up, he was yet hired by the
Privatisation Commission to defend it in the
Steel Mills case in the Supreme Court -- and was
reportedly paid a handsome fee for the brief. The
case was lost for the government. The chief
election commissioner says that a president who
is also chief of the army staff cannot canvas for
a political party. But does that persuade our
president to follow the straight and narrow?

We could have in all these years since
independence at least attempted to attack some of
the social evils that have dogged us because of
the powerful influence of backward feudal and
tribal leaders and religious charlatans. But here
too we have stood still, the current onfusion
about amendments to the Hudood Ordinances being
one instance, with Federal Law Minister Sher
Afgan proving himself to be the typical loose
canon in parliament, debating whether or not it
is religiously just for husbands to beat their
wives. Everyday brings some new example of such
juvenile utterances or behaviour.

Our air chief, in a statement the other day, has
neatly reduced the Israeli aggression against
Lebanon and the Palestinians to a matter of
military strength and prowess. After meeting the
Punjab governor in Lahore, he told reporters that
the Lebanese prime minister was forced to cry
before the media because of the weak defence
capability of his country (Dawn, page 12, Aug 9).
Which shows the necessity of keeping Pakistan
well armed. Ergo. That's how depoliticised we
have become -- and yet military officers who have
done PhDs and MScs are considered to be absolute
whiz kids and masters of political strategy and
suitable to be appointed as members of the
Federal Public Service Commission.

The editorial ferred to at the beginning
concluded by saying: "And yet these abuses, and
the state of mind they have engendered among our
people, are by no means native to our national
genius or national temperament, as many prophets
of doom would have us believe. They are as
artificial and as hand-made as the arbitrary
political structure which has given them birth.
They will endure as long as the present
irreparable political structure endures."

So that's something else from the past that
applies to the present and which should be kept
in view as we move towards Independence Day.

* From"Pakistan: The First Twelve Years",

The Pakistan Times editorials of Mazhar Ali Khan (OUP), 1996

Rediff.com
August 04, 2006

THE AVERAGE INDIAN MUSLIM WANTS ROOM TO SURVIVE
The Rediff Interview | Dr Arjun Appadurai, anthropologist

It is not always that an academic book published
by a university press gets national attention
across America, and leads its writer to speak on
National Public Radio and appear on several
well-regarded television shows.

Unless, of course, the author is Mumbai-born
Arjun Appadurai, whose book Fear of Small Numbers
discusses why, in the age of globalisation, there
has been a proliferation of violence and of
ethnic cleansing on the one hand and extreme
forms of political violence against civilian
population on the other.

Dr Appadurai, John Dewy Professor in Social
Sciences at New School University in New York,
tells Rediff India Abroad Managing Editor
(Features) Arthur J Pais that there seems to be
an increasing and irrational fear of the
minorities around the world and minorities,
including in India, confront greater hostilities
than ever before.

Your book has an intriguing title. Could you discuss its significance?

Minorities throughout the world are, somehow, the
subject of anxiety. And in the last decade,
despite the opening of markets, the free flow of
capital and liberal ideas, minorities in many
countries including India are facing greater
hostilities than ever before, and in some cases,
they face genocide.

There seems to be an increasing and irrational
fear of the minorities. I have been interested in
census statistics, how populations are actually
enumerated. Apart from the question of being weak
or subordinate, official enumeration is one of
the ways minorities are created in the modern
world.

The point here is that the idea of minority and
majority was not always a part of human society.
Human societies always had different groups; some
were larger and some smaller; but the twin
categories of minority and majority are modern
phenomena.

The idea of majority and minority are intimately
connected. The two arise together. And in the
book, I observe that the idea of majority and
minority in India emerges out of a procedural
consideration having to do with minority opinions
in key administrative committees under British
rule. The idea of minority opinion did not arise
in the first place out of national enumeration of
population, but from this other administrative
and procedural root.

But soon after this administrative concept came
into play, the idea of minority and majority
began to apply to core social groups and began to
be institutionalised in the census.

How does the recent serial bomb blasts in Mumbai play into your broader theme?

The Mumbai blasts are part of a history that
clearly involves several factors. One is the
worldwide illicit arms trade that underlies
everything from the Mumbai blasts to Hezbollah's
rocket capacities in Lebanon, and has
strengthened many other groups like the Basques
and the Tamil Tigers that have nothing to do with
Islam.

We should remember that it is not the Muslims
only that are the beneficiaries of worldwide
deregulated arms trade.

Second, in the South Asian story we have the
bitterness of Partition. Especially in North
India, and especially among Hindu nationalist
groups, Partition is a wound and insult to the
integrity of India, which created a perennial
enemy, the state of Pakistan, and its supporters
and sympathisers in Kashmir and in the rest of
India.

That story could have been forgotten -- but it is
never forgotten; it is kept alive and kept active
by politicians, by religious leaders, by party
ideologues and by parts of the media.

Thirdly, in Pakistan you have a society that is
in fact theocratic, and there is no question that
Pakistan as a State has pursued a variety of
official, unofficial and individual activities
calculated to unsettle India. However open-minded
one is, one has to recognise it. It is also true
that India has done its part to keep up the
competition with Pakistan, to outdo its military
capacities, to exceed its nuclear capabilities
and to limit Pakistan's influence in Asia as a
whole.

But there is no denying that as a theocratic
State under military rule, Pakistan has pursued
anti-democratic policies at many levels, and has
been unable to free itself from using Kashmir as
a distraction from its own internal crises as a
civil society and a buffer state in the Great
Game of Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia and the United
States.

Some secularists find it difficult to accept that
in certain areas of India where the Muslims are
dominant, they can create a feeling of terror
among the Hindus. Do you share those reservations?

We have to accept that reality, and the fact that
violence for political and religious gains is not
confined only to the Hindu Right. We must also
acknowledge that Pakistan is not something
invented by the imagination of the Hindu Right.
It is real. It is authoritarian. It is
theocratic. And Pakistani civil society has moved
closer to the Islamic right.

In India, there are some Muslims who sympathise
with Pakistan. It is hard to tell whether it is
the product of their being driven out of India,
mentally speaking, or whether they had a prior
affiliation to Pakistan. The more you are pushed
out, the more you are going to identify with some
place where you might be a first class citizen.

And yet, I believe that the radical, terrorist
voices one hears in the Muslim communities in
India are few and small. The average Muslim in
India today has this request to the majority
community: Give us the room to survive. Muslims
in rural and urban India are not thinking of
taking over India, but are asking whether they
can live there at all.

Sure, there is a rise in the anti-Muslim
sentiments across India. What has been especially
worrisome is that this anger has been adopted by
the middle class, the educated and the
professionals across India. The very classes and
groups who would have been ashamed to express
strong radical religious sentiments in the 1950s
and 1960s are proudly pro-Hindu today.

How did that transformation come about?

We must not just ask what Hindutva is about, you
must also ask the question how it has changed in
the last few decades. In the 1950s and 1960s,
many middle class, educated professionals talked
as if India's secularism belonged to everyone,
and was not a favour handed out by Hindus to
other groups.

In the 30 to 40 years since the high period of
Nehru's secularism, the other trend in Indian
politics, the pro-Hindu strand has become
prominent. For me as an anthropologist, it is
painfully obvious that it has become culturally
respectable to run down and suspect the Muslim
community.

You can now publicly question the political
loyalty of the minorities, you can publicly
question Muslims at all times, Christians at
various times and Sikhs intensely in the 1980s,
as you recall. Fortunately, the tide of anti-Sikh
sentiments has turned, and their loyalty is not
questioned now.

There seems some evidence to suggest that at
least in some instances, minorities triggered the
violence...

In that case, the state agencies can look into
the problem. But when mobs take the law into
their own hand and unleash violence, terrible
things unfold. Study after study has shown that
the retaliatory violence against the minorities
is hugely disproportionate to the alleged crimes
attributed to them.

Frontline
July 29-Aug. 11, 2006

FILM [REVIEW]

Rooted in theatre

Shayoni Mitra

'Gaon ke naon theatre, mor naon Habib' is an
insightful and lively documentary on Habib Tanvir
and his Naya Theatre.

SUDHAVANA DESHPANDE

HABIB TANVIR, DURING a rehearsal of 'Zahareeli Hawa'.

INDIAN documentary film-making has by now a dense
history since Independence. Yet it has seldom
intersected with another rich tradition - Indian
theatre. The past few years have seen an
increasing interest in capturing live
performances on celluloid, not just from an
archival impulse of documenting productions, but
in a genuine attempt to add to the historical
processes that engender social-dramatic
expression. Gaon ke naon theatre, mor naon Habib
(`My village is theatre, my name is Habib', 75
minutes, Hindi, English, Chhattisgarhi with
English sub-titles, Sanket Productions, 2005) is
one such. It is an insightful and lively
documentary by Sanjay Maharishi and Sudhanva
Deshpande on Habib Tanvir, one of the greatest
innovators on the Indian proscenium since
Independence, and his troupe - Naya Theatre. The
film chronicles Tanvir's involvement with the
Indian stage for over five decades, playing
concomitantly the roles of playwright, director,
designer, singer, composer and occasional actor.
It is as much a salute to the others of the group
- the indefatigable resources of his wife Monika,
the incomparable voice of Bhulwaram and the
myriad talents of his daughter Nageen have made
Naya Theatre so exceptional. In a year where we
mourn the demise of a faithful partner in theatre
and life, it is well worth revisiting, if only
through film, the contribution Habib Tanvir has
made to the cultural consciousness of our times.

Habib Tanvir's work has attracted the attention
of many before these intrepid film-makers.
Scholars of modern Indian drama will make the
obligatory nod to his contribution. And while the
modernity of the post-Independence Indian stage
is demonstrable enough, it is often confounded by
the frequent revivalist argument. `Theatre of
roots' is one such logic of post-colonial
scholarship. It can loosely be defined as the
mixed dramatic idiom developed by certain
post-Independence playwrights and directors,
which modified aspects of `traditional' Indian
genres to the modern proscenium stage. `Theatre
of the roots' was not so much a cohesive
aesthetic formulation, but rather, common
features in the individual doctrines of theatre
stalwarts like K.N. Panikkar, Ratan Thiyam and
Habib Tanvir to name a few, whose contemporeneity
made for a misapprehension of shared intent.

Indeed, `theatre of roots' was never a movement.
Instead, it was a label used by some theatre
scholars and administrators (none of them
practitioners themselves) to describe the works
of a few Indian playwrights and directors. The
term itself was coined by Suresh Awasthi, a
cultural policy administrator, in 1984 and over
the years, it has found its way into the
vocabulary of scholars like Kapila Vatsayana and
Nemichandra Jain. Yet, in one of the many
paradoxes of Indian theatre, it is not an
appellation that the playwrights or directors, so
readily identified under this genre, will ever
adopt in self-description. It should also be
noted that `theatre of roots' itself can be
broken up into at least two trends - a conscious,
intellectual Sanskritisation of the theatre that
is perhaps best demonstrated in the works of K.N.
Panikkar, and a more exigent use of local folk
idioms. The debate on whether Indian folk forms
are a corrupt dissemination of the principles of
Natyashastra remains largely outside the roots
rhetoric since few directors lay rigid claims to
an antiquarian Classicism.

The above debate is at one level purely academic.

Gaon ke naon theatre, mor naon Habib excels in
that it renders the above discussion irrelevant
and takes a steadfast look at the theatre of
Habib Tanvir and his relations with his actors.
Even the most casual viewer of the film will
realise that any essentialist dichotomy between
urban and rural, modern and ancient, formal and
folk is impossible to maintain. This cinematic
exegesis then shows `theatre of the roots' to be
simply untenable as an actual theatrical
phenomenon of the post-colonial era. The film
refuses the choice of identifiable roots that the
cast and crew of Naya Theatre can stage a
glorious return to. And indeed, even in the case
of the director such an easy linear narrative is
simply impossible. As the film-makers annotate in
the DVD, Habib Tanvir's work is "a theatre born
of a sensibility seeped in subaltern cultures".
It is unshakably multiple.

Habib Tanvir started his career in the theatre in
his student days as a member of the Mumbai IPTA
(Indian People's Theatre Association), an
involvement which many claim was the crucible for
all his later work. Tanvir then moved to Delhi
and forever changed its theatrical landscape with
his seminal production Agra Bazar (1954). Created
with students of Jamia Milia Islamia and
residents of the Okhla Industrial Area, it
already foreshadowed the continual class mix that
was to define Naya Theatre later. Tanvir then
went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in
Great Britain for three years. But more memorable
in his stint abroad was his watching the Berliner
Ensemble do their hallmark plays a few months
after Bertolt Brecht's death, when his
leading-lady wife Helen Weigel was still very
much at the helm of Brechtian affairs. In 1958,
Tanvir started working with six actors from his
native Chhattisgarh trained in nacha, the folk
narrative dance style of the region, a move that
many hail as the authentic progenitor of the
`theatre of roots' impulse. The allegation is
simply not true. It took Tanvir many years, much
experimentation and astute dramaturgy to arrive
at the unique idiom that he operates from and
continually refines even today.

Gaon ke naon theatre, mor naon Habib is precisely
a paean to the inexhaustible curiosity and
devotion Tanvir has towards his theatrical work.
The title itself is a reworking of Tanvir's play
Gaon ke naon Sasural, mor naon Damand, a
production that blends three traditional nacha
performances around marital themes, but then
imprints them with an aesthetic that is uniquely
Tanvir. The documentary is an attempt at
capturing these directorial interventions that
are impossible to codify.

Indeed, for much of the film, nothing is
happening on stage, and even when there is it is
usually observed on camera from the wings. The
focus instead is on the endless minutiae that
comprise a dramatic production. There is much
hammering, humming and hemming throughout the
film, and not one nail, tune or stitch escapes
Tanvir's eye. His meticulous aesthetic is
evidenced in scenes where he asks for minor
realignment of a stage set piece or nuances
Nageen's superb singing in a very particular way.
Then there are his actors' accounts of his
direction. His unerring director's eye is often
applied to capturing and `fixing' an effective
moment in improvisation. And perhaps, like never
before the actors of Naya Theatre are brought
into focus in this film. It is not on stage but
from their homes in their villages that they tell
us of their journey in the theatre. It is not
just a literal listing of destinations visited
that we get (1982 - London, Edinburgh, Cardiff,
Paris, Amsterdam, Hamburg, 1983 - Belgrade,
Dublin). But sitting there amidst fields that
they come home for a fortnight a year to plough,
we see the mud walls pasted with their
photographs of their city theatre company.

SUDHAVANA DESHPANDE

IN PERFORMANCE, WITH daughter Nageen.

It is also because of these rich testaments that
one should not watch Gaon ke naon theatre, mor
naon Habib for the plays but for the people who
make them. Of Tanvir's expansive oeuvre we get
the most glimpses of Charandas Chor.

The play is an exemplar of the satirisation of
autocratic power. Habib Tanvir took a Rajasthani
folk tale told to him, Vijaydan Detha, in 1972
and turned it into one of the most popular plays
of his repertoire. The story is about a petty
thief who makes four simple vows to his guru -
never to eat in a gold plate, never to lead a
procession that is in his honour, never to become
a king and never to marry a princess. His guru
makes him add a fifth - never to tell a lie. As
events unfold, Charandas becomes famous, is
offered the seat of political power, and has an
enamoured princess intent on marrying. For his
refusal he is put to death, a powerful parable of
the fate of truthful existence under repressive
power regimes. The play uses many elements of
nacha - a chorus that provides commentary through
song, stage is devoid of all sets, minimal props
are used, and panthi tunes of the satnami
religious sect are incorporated.

Lest one should think that Tanvir's work is
artistic enterprise alone, a mere process of
endless theatrical experimentation, the film
shows the political effects of the fraught
relation between life and art.

Alarming footage shows Tanvir, upon his entry
into his eighth decade of life, as a target of
the Sangh Parivar. Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh
(RSS) cadre disrupt his shows, empty out his
auditoria with threats to his audiences and
endanger his travel with blockades from which
they shout rabid slogans - often without having
watched a single play of his. For if one were to
see, one would, however unwittingly, be
entertained. The social commentary too never
vitiates.

In 2002, Habib Tanvir, even by his own standards,
ventured into unchartered territory with
Zahareeli Hawa. It was the translation of a play
by the Canadian-Indian playwright Rahul Varma on
the Bhopal gas tragedy. The cast included an
American, a Canadian, a Delhiite, several Bhopal
residents who are not regular members of Naya
Theatre and, of course, the regular Chhattisgarhi
actors. But more remarkable was the creative
envisioning of this project.

On an Indian stage where our contemporary
tragedies are seldom portrayed, let alone
sustained social engagement sought, Tanvir and
Varma use the theatrical idiom to ask important
and uncomfortable questions about culpability,
redress and the brevity of social memory. The
play will perhaps eventually be staged with only
members of the Naya Theatre, but that is an
artistic challenge that Tanvir keeps himself
thoroughly open to.

Habib Tanvir modifies anything from Shakespeare
to Brecht to Asghar Wajahat to focus on the
exceptional in the mundane, the poetic potential
of the prosaic. And Gaon ke naon theatre, mor
naon Habib shows beautifully this gentle humour
combined with a razor-sharp sensibility that
permeates from Tanvir and infects everyone he
lives and works with.

Shayoni Mitra is a PhD candidate at the
Department of Performance Studies, New York
University.

PETITION BY 'CONCERNED INDIANS AND FRIENDS OF
INDIA' TO RECALL INDIAN AMBASSADOR TO ISRAEL,

http://www.petitiononline.com/GOIpeace/petition.html

Praful Bidwai's column effectively addresses a
disturbing national trend. GOI needs to hear that
many Indians, and friends of India around the
world believe that the country must assert moral
leadership, and must respect its non-aligned past.

_____

[6]  Upcoming Events

(i)

25 years of Saheli
celebration and struggle: strengthening autonomous politics

In the morning, we will journey down memory lane
together with women's groups, supporters and
co-travellers, old friends and new. Retelling our
common histories, celebrating our struggles,
sharing our visions.

In the afternoon, presentations from other
autonomous movements will hopefully spark off a
vibrant discussion on our relevance and
challenges, and strategies for the future,
together.

Speakers will include:

Chayanika Shah, Forum Against Oppression of Women
and Labia, Mumbai, on the queer movement.
Uma Chakravarti, Delhi, on the democratic rights’ movement.
Arti Sawhny and Kiran Dubey on the Sathin Union, Rajasthan.
Saraswati on organising Dalit women workers in Karnataka
Shamim, Shramik Adivasi Sanghathan, M.P, on mass
organising and political mobilisation.