SACW | 19-21 June 2006 |

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Jun 20 11:49:12 CDT 2006

South Asia Citizens Wire | 19-21 June, 2006 | Dispatch No. 2261

[1]  Pakistan: Paranoia and patriotism . . .
Citizenship Act of 1951  (Irfan Husain)
[2]  Pakistan: HRCP wants action against jirgas
[3]  India: 'moral policing' in Muzaffarnagar (Shyama Haldar)
[4]  India:  'How to Confront State Violence?
Dilemma for Peaceful Movements' (NBA release)
[5]  Pakistan: Fishermen's protest rally suppressed in Karachi
[6]  The Bomb, Biography and The Indian Middle Class (Sankaran Krishna)
[7]  Ongoing and Upcoming Events:
     (i)  Rozgar Haq Yatra Launched (across UP and Uttaranchal, 15-22 June)
     (ii) National Urban Development Struggle and
Action Committee (Bhopal, July 7-8, 2006)
     (iii) 2nd Visa-Free and Peaceful South Asia
Convention (Lahore, 6-9 Aug, 2006)

___

[1]

Dawn
June 17, 2006

PARANOIA AND PATRIOTISM

by Irfan Husain

THERE are times when I am convinced of our
irredeemable hypocrisy: the instinct to say one
thing and do another, and to condemn others for
what we do every day has become a national trait.

Take, for instance, a news item that appeared in
a Lahore daily a few weeks ago. It seems that to
their credit, two members of the National
Assembly had moved a bill in parliament to end an
odd anomaly that has existed on our statute books
for years. If a Pakistani male marries a
foreigner, his wife has the right to claim
citizenship. But a foreign man marrying a
Pakistani woman does not have the same privilege.

In order to end this gender bias in our
Citizenship Act of 1951, Kunwar Khalid Yunus and
Mahnaz Rafi had proposed changes to give
Pakistani women the same right men enjoy when it
comes to marrying foreigners. The draft
amendments were sent to the interior ministry for
comments, and after sitting on them for two
years, it has apparently orchestrated opposition
with provincial counterparts as well as sundry
intelligence agencies.

One of the objections raised by the interior
ministry reads: "The right to obtain nationality
can be used by any foreign country to plant its
agents in Pakistan after arranging their
marriages with Pakistani women." Presumably, if a
foreign woman marries a Pakistani man, she cannot
be a planted agent. Beyond the paranoia inherent
in this argument, there is the notion that there
are hordes of spies waiting to get married to
women here.

And the mandarins and spooks in the ministry seem
to have forgotten that they are the ones who
permitted an army of foreign militants into this
country, ostensibly to fight in Afghanistan.
These foreign agents stayed on and are now busy
killing our own people, including our soldiers.
In fact, Pakistan must be the most welcoming
country in the world for illegal migrants:
literally millions of Bengalis and Afghans have
settled anywhere they chose to without any
questions being asked. If anything, officials of
the interior ministry have colluded in this
influx by handing out ID cards and passports to
tens of thousands of illegal immigrants.

Those objecting to these progressive changes also
need to remember that scores of thousands of
Pakistani men over the years have been granted
citizenship in the West by marrying women there,
usually of 'desi' origin. If Britain, for
instance, were to withdraw this right on the
(understandable) basis that it permitted too many
foreign men to settle and claim all kinds of
social benefits, there would be a hue and cry.
And no doubt, our government would lead the
protests. Indeed, many Pakistani men enter into
such marriages simply because it entitles them to
settle abroad. And yet, while some of the
offspring of such matches have become terrorists,
these Pakistani men have not (yet) been accused
of acting as 'foreign agents'.

I am not aware of any protests over this
hypocritical opposition to these changes, nor
have I come across any letters or editorials in
newspapers condemning it. The whole issue seems
to have been largely ignored. But it does say a
lot about us as a people. At the highest official
level, we are basically saying that while a man
can marry a foreigner who can then be
naturalised, a woman is too stupid to be trusted
to exercise sound judgment.

But the sad reality is that in Pakistan (and in
much of the Muslim world), most women do not make
this most critical of decisions on their own.
Arranged, and often forced, marriages are the
norm, not the exception. This being so, why this
song and dance about 'foreign agents'? If a
girl's parents are arranging the match, is it
likely that they will pick a spy for a son-in-law?

While it would appear that these shallow
arguments are aimed at blocking all foreign men
from taking advantage of the proposed
liberalisation of the Citizenship Act, the truth
is that it is India-specific. Partition divided
thousands of families, and in a society where
intermarriage is common, the pool of marriageable
men and women in various communities has
shrunken. While it is OK for Pakistani men to
marry Indian Muslim girls, our interior ministry
is convinced that if Pakistani girls were to
marry Indian men, the floodgates would open, and
we would be swamped by Indian agents.

It would take a very dedicated spy to actually
get married to pursue secrets or cause problems
in Pakistan. Unfortunately, our own spooks and
their masters have yet to enter the 21st century
where keeping secrets is harder than ever. Google
Earth, a popular website, can give you detailed
images of whatever part of the world you want to
have a close look at. Commercial enterprises
exist to sell satellite photographs. The Internet
is a great source of what was once secret
information.

Quite apart from the spurious espionage angle,
there are the wider aspects of women's rights.
The Constitution grants men and women the same
rights, so how can the interior ministry block
the proposed changes on the ground that they
might make their work more difficult? As it is,
the interior ministry has not exactly set a
shining example of efficiency thus far: the
country is awash with illegal guns; murderous
jihadis have multiplied; crime is flourishing;
and drug addiction is rampant. Under these
circumstances, one would have thought the
interior ministry would have enough to do, rather
than try and block legislation aimed at removing
an archaic anomaly from the law.

What was encouraging was that both MNAs who moved
this private members' bill sit on the government
benches. Unless their colleagues in the MQM and
the Muslim League get cold feet after the
interior ministry salvo, they should be able to
muster enough support to push their bill through.
One hopes the PPP will lend a hand. Surely
General Musharraf should knock heads to enact the
draft legislation because progressive laws should
form the basis for his 'enlightened moderation'.
However, one fears that in the prevailing
ultra-nationalistic, paranoid and hypocritical
environment in the country, we will live with the
existing Citizenship Act of 1951 for another
fifty years.

Daily Times
June 20, 2006

HRCP WANTS ACTION AGAINST JIRGAS

Staff Report

LAHORE: The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan
(HRCP) has demanded action against jirgas in
Shikarpur and Jacobabad that are perpetuating the
custom of vani, whereby girls are forcibly
married off to resolve disputes between feuding
families.

The jirgas are a clear violation of Sindh High
Court orders and the government must take action
against the elected representatives and feudal
lords responsible for holding jirgas in Shikarpur
and Jacobabad, HRCP vice chairperson Zohra Yusuf
said in a statement on Monday.

According to an initial investigation by the
HRCP, on May 31, in Lucky Ghulam Shah tehsil,
Shikarpur, advocate Agha Sanaullah Durrani heard
a complaint from Imdad Sathar against his cousin
Muhammad Ramzan Sathar for the recovery of 11
buffaloes. Ramzan failed to pay for the 11
buffaloes and with the consent of his father and
grandfather agreed before a jirga to give his
daughters (9-year-old Heer and 1-year-old Karima)
as compensation for the buffaloes. In the
presence of 7 witnesses, Ramzan signed on a stamp
paper of Rs 50 and promised to deliver his
daughters within three days. A court in Shikarpur
gas issued an order against the marriage of the
two minor girls after HRCP activists raised the
issue.

During the last week of May, another jirga headed
by PPPP MNA Mir Hazar Khan Bijarani, Tehsil Nazim
Thal Akbar Banglani and Pir Bharchoondi Mian
Abdul Khalique ended a decade-old feud between
two rival groups by offering five minor girls
(4-year-old Basheeran, 7-year-old Amna,
8-year-old Shahzadi, 5-year-old Noor Bano and
5-year-old Maryam) as compensation, said the HRCP
statement.

"The HRCP believes that jirgas are being
encouraged by the Sindh government to strengthen
the powers of the Sardars and Waderas and to
further weaken the judicial and law enforcement
systems," said the statement.

"The HRCP reiterates its demand that clear
directives be issued to the police and district
administrations to prevent such gatherings, as
their decisions are illegal and against the norms
of human dignity. They violate the rights of
women and children in particular. A failure to
take immediate and meaningful action would result
in more barbaric decisions such as those taken by
jirgas in Shikarpur and Jacobabad."

Tehelka
June 24 , 2006

  ONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF SULLENTOWN

In pursuing a news report on an incident of
'moral policing' in Muzaffarnagar, Shyama Haldar
comes upon a place blistered by its own nature

Omkar Singh, co-ordinator of the Muzaffarnagar
branch of the Sanyukt Hindu Sangharsh Samiti
(SHSS), is insistent that the truth of the May 27
Incident at Nandi Sweets be established with
public finality. "We aren't terrorists, you know;
we aren't thugs," he says. "That's right, we're
all cultured people, educated, got our own
businesses," avers SHSS local president, Sanjay
Agarwal, between sips of midday tea at Singh's
garment store in the town's Sadar Bazar. "You
people, you make mountains from dunghills," Singh
resumes. "A small matter - boys in the
neighbourhood having a street scuffle - you twist
it about and dress it up so people won't switch
channels on your one-minute-twenty-second
stories. Television, newspapers, same difference,
you're all alike."

Three weeks ago, a 50-strong contingent of what
are said to have been SHSS members descended on a
group of school students - three boys and three
girls - treating themselves at Nandi Sweets
restaurant to a round of lemon mint.
Muzaffarnagar, as a district, is known for its
frequent appearances in crime report datelines
and for its primordial revenges upon those who
love across caste or religious lines - 'honour'
killings, panchayat-ordered maimings, rapes and
lynchings. In comparison, the Nandi Sweets fracas
is a pimple too minor to leave disfigurement, but
it has upset Singh and Agarwal because their
names feature in the fir. The incident has been
reported in the media as yet another case of west
Uttar Pradesh moral policing - what gives it a
grimmer edge is the special corrective reserved
for the one Muslim in the unlucky clutch of
teenage truants. Five of them were let off with
admonitions and a little light roughing-up. The
sixth, the unfavourably-named Aleem, an
out-of-towner from Deoband, was beaten, stripped,
and later briefly hospitalised before his parents
arrived to hasten him away to home and hiding.

This is the police version. As it turns out, it's
the only account available. At Nandi Sweets -
polaroid windows, battered airconditioning and an
out-of-order fountain giving it a prosperous edge
over other Nai Mandi eateries - it's impossible
to find anyone who actually saw anything happen
that weekend. The owner of the establishment was
away; the waiters work shifts and hadn't come in;
the cashier was unwell; the manager was present
but has now left town indefinitely. All the shops
up and down the street outside also seem to have
been on unofficial holiday that afternoon:
everyone was somewhere else, everyone only knows
about the disturbance second-hand, no-one wants
their word to be taken for anything, not even
when asked for their names, no-one here has
names. At a paan shop, the old man at the counter
doesn't seem to hear too well. When a younger
man, perhaps his son, demands to know what's
being asked for, he tells him, "Oh nothing, they
want to buy biscuits."

If one scents fear or even collusion in this
reticence, the crowning stroke is waiting back at
Singh's shop - the Sanyukt Hindu Sangharsh Samiti
wasn't on the scene either, not, at any rate, as
perpetrators. "We had absolutely nothing to do
with it," Singh declares. "We were in fact called
in to control the crowd by people from the
Traders' Association. It's like when someone
snatches a chain, people get together to beat him
up, nothing more; but you know what a mob can
turn into. The shopkeepers were scared; if it
wasn't for us, who knows what could have
happened. We talked the boys out of it, sent them
home. And then we get blamed. Just because we
helped out. Think about it - someone's had an
accident and you take him to hospital and then
you get framed for it."

Speaking strictly hypothetically, only in theory,
Nai Mandi doesn't like what might be said to have
happened at Nandi Sweets. Neither, if no one else
is listening, does it seem too fond of the SHSS.
"Lousy wasters; nothing else to do with their
time," mutters a shop clerk; "We're no less than
anyone else, let them try something smart and
we'll see them settled," says the owner. Others
will tell you that the locality is the richest in
the district and that it stays open for business
no matter what may disturb the town or the world
beyond - "Even after Ayodhya, Nai Mandi was
open." On the incident itself, opinion is
latticed behind generalised platitudes -
"Indecency is in the eye of the beholder. If you
wish to see evil, you'll see it". The only
articulate criticism comes from a woman who keeps
a tailoring shop across the street from Nandi
Sweets; she too remains nameless but her
neighbours say she's a Pathan married to a Jat.
"And so what if those kids were sitting together?
If they can go to school together, sit together
in class, why can't they share a cold drink -
it's not a crime yet, is it?"

"Nothing objectionable, nothing wrong with it at
all," is Singh's reply. Far be it from him to be
an obstacle to modernity - his own shopfront
bears two mid-size posters of halter-topped women
tossing blondish hair. "If a Muslim boy makes
friends with a Hindu girl there's no problem,
lekin restaurant mein jakar, pant ke zip khol
kar, chai peena bahut galat lagta hai (to sit in
a restaurant drinking tea with your fly open is
very wrong indeed)." Scepticism quails before
such conviction. Nonetheless - has Singh actually
seen any such? No - but he's heard about it.

Rumour, hearsay, insinuation, belief -
under-currents that turn into rip-tides. Now
three years old, the SHSS encompasses an
11-member affiliation of Sangh Parivar usuals -
Shiv Sena, Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Bajrang Dal,
Hindu Jagaran Manch and various others. Apart
from the occasional restaurant rampage (the SHSS
is also said to be behind another assault earlier
in May on a restaurant called Vatika), the Samiti
is not locally famous for any other activity than
the staging of demonstrations. Some of these can
turn a little too heated for a town that prides
itself on having skirted large-scale communal
confrontation for several decades - despite the
Babri reverberations, despite Muzaffarnagar's
uneasy sectarian balance, estimated at 40 percent
Muslim, 60 percent Hindu. Protests here in
mid-February over the cartoons of Prophet
Mohammad saw a turnout reported to have numbered
over a lakh; a week later, the SHSS was on the
streets, protesting against MF Husain. Stones
were pelted, shops were closed, selective curfews
declared, 18 people arrested. Presence was
registered.

However, competitive agitation is not the SHSS'
consuming or even dominant preoccupation. For the
past few years, Singh and Agarwal will tell you,
a new engine of jehadi malevolence has been in
insidious motion. Loving Jehad, it's called.
"They take false admissions to schools and
colleges," Singh explains, "they wear tilaks and
karas, just like Hindus; they use names like
Sonu, Monu, Mintu, Pintu, so they won't be caught
out. They make friends with Hindu girls, they get
them to come to their homes on various pretexts.
There they give the girls new clothes to wear and
have two other men lying in wait to photograph
them while they change. Then they blackmail them.
That's how they get these girls into their
clutches and through them they get at their
friends."

The mind boggles at the detailing - how, after
all, do they know? In the congealing fog of
suggestion and supposition, one misses the
recalcitrant Nai Mandi empiricists for whom
nothing can conclusively be said to exist if they
have not themselves verified it. "You want
proof?" asks Agarwal. "In the last six months
alone, we have rescued 80 Hindu girls who had
gone with Muslim boys. Of these, 60 girls were
graduates - some of them MCom, some BCom, some
BA, some MSc. And the boys - 60 boys - labourers,
whitewashers, scrap dealers, fruit sellers, house
painters - can you believe this? A girl of good
family, studying for her graduation, would she go
with a labourer, a house painter? This is the new
jehad. This is what we are trying to make our
community aware of. That's what the sanghathan is
for, to make Hindus strong, to make them alert."

Senior Superintendent of Police, Amarendra Kumar
Sengar is unimpressed. In a town where an
accidental scratch can spurt into gory vendetta,
he could do without the SHSS' compound of acids.
He's been in Muzaffarnagar a year - going by the
list of his predecessors on the plaque on the
wall, a year is about as long as anyone lasts
here. Very shortly after his arrival, he oversaw
the setting up, under Supreme Court directive, of
a cell for the protection of this district's
hunted lovers - the Yugal Branch, it's called. It
has not been very well publicised; it has not
received a single case so far. But the killings
haven't stopped. In just the last two months,
Sengar's dealt with three 'honour' murders - in
one of them, the girl survived, was taken to
hospital; a brother of hers came visiting and
ended what had been left undone. The ssp's voice
is low, precise as he describes this - people are
unbelievably desensitised here, he says.

It is very silent after hours at the Celestial
Garden nursery school; the enclosure around the
play-yard so shuts out the town that even the
wrangle of the traffic that nags you everywhere
else seems to have fallen back at the gates.
Qamar Khan, who runs the school, points to the
tree-tops visible over the wall: there, in the
house next-door, they had a girl who ran away;
she was found after two years, brought back and
killed the same night. Some years later, her
niece ran away too; she went with a Muslim, they
haven't found her yet. Qamar's daughter, Binish,
in her first year of an MA in English, remembers
a Muslim boy and girl who ran away and should
never have returned - they were in a rickshaw
coming in from the station when the girl's father
and brother caught up with them. The boy was
killed in the street, the girl taken to a nearby
masjid, her throat slit and her body cut to
pieces. "And those people, they still walk
around, they think they've done something great."
"But a child must never go against her parents,"
pipes up Binish's younger sister, Alisha, tucking
her dupatta behind her ears. "They bring you up
with so much love, it's a terrible sin to not
obey them. You'd deserve anything after that."
Alisha gets an earful from Binish - "And it's not
a sin to kill someone, to kill your child?" -
Alisha subsides. Later, she says, "Alright, now
you tell our mother I want to go to SD Degree
College. She won't let me, she thinks the boys
are too rowdy there. But it's better than the
all-girls' one."

The tensions in Muzaffarnagar are not those of
impoverishment; quite the opposite. Agriculture
in this fertile district has created a highly
prosperous peasantry, but its affluence has done
little for its quality of life, made small dent
in beliefs about caste, about women, about
notions of clan honour. If anything, it's given
them justification, made them more severe.
Long-time inhabitants say living here grows worse
by the decade. Dr Dinesh Kumar, principal at the
Sanatan Dharam Degree College, the town's
largest, grew up in Muzaffarnagar in the 1950s
and 60s. His memory of the town is of one known
for its unhurried life. It was a place where, as
he puts it, people wanted to settle. "Now, a man
who lives here, if he's got any chance to get
out, he grabs it. Everywhere else, even in the
desert, people develop an attachment to the land
where they live. Not in these parts. You can't
enjoy life; you have to keep a low profile,
otherwise nobody knows what might happen to you.
Prosperity here has outstripped education."

Deputy Superintendent of Police Kalpana Saxena
takes a more hopeful view. For her, Muzaffarnagar
is a regressive pocket in the path of cross-winds
from two cosmopolitan hubs - Delhi to the west,
Dehra Dun to the east. "Of course there'll be a
storm, a tornado," she says, "but it'll subside,
even if it takes a long time." For her, the
arrival, after the privatisation of education, of
new training centres in the town has been a
revolution: "The government institutions here
were atrocious; if people wanted their kids to
study, they had to send them to Meerut, or to
Delhi if they could afford it. Now, there's
enough right here, and that means girls get
chances they didn't have when studying meant
sending them away."

A bit of Saxena's "revolution" can be seen
outside the building that's shared by the Howard
Institute of World Class English Speaking and the
American Institute of English Language (also the
place where the Nandi Sweets group were
classmates). A hive of these spoken-English
coaching shops is clustered on Bhopa Road, a
little way up from the turn to Nai Mandi. For
around Rs 500 every three months, their students
can expect a grounding not so much in precision
of grammar and pronunciation, but in overcoming
the one real lack that the backwaters'
indifferent schooling has left them with - that
of confidence. A batch of 'Howardians' coming out
of class says they swear by the approach - "The
basic thing is confidence, not Hindi-English"
says Vivek Kumar, who's 23. "We get that here -
if you have confidence, no language can stop
you." "We only knew how to read English when we
left school," says 22-year-old Visalaxi Tyagi,
who like most other Muzaffarnagar children went
through the UP Board. "But you can't compete
anywhere if you don't speak English." Vivek bears
his schooling no grudge, but he does say, "If
we'd had an environment like this one before, we
could have been anywhere."

Being elsewhere - Delhi, at the least - is very
much part of these youngsters' future plans.
Touch on the Nandi Sweets incident and Lokesh
Verma, also in his early 20s, says, "If people
think like this, they'll never be able to cope if
they ever leave Muzaffarnagar." An assault in a
restaurant isn't baggage this lot wants to carry
with it, though - "There will be change," asserts
Vivek. "We are from this society and our
generation is coming up - they know." His elders
may not give this much credence, but, he says,
"If I'm capable, there's no way they can pressure
me."

NARMADA BACHAO ANDOLAN

Press Note/ June 19, 2006

Shuglu Committee Discredited the PMO and NSSO.

'DEFEATING NBA WAS NECESSARY FOR CORPORATIZATION
OF LAND, WATER, RESOURCES: BUT PEOPLE WILL
RESIST'- MEDHA

'How to Confront State Violence? Dilemma for Peaceful Movements'.

" A joint offensive by the bureaucrats in the
Union government - including those in the Prime
Minister's Office (PMO), the corporate powers and
multilateral financial agencies, encouraged by
the unconstitutional attitude of the Supreme
Court, has been  instrumental in suppressing the
Narmada Bachao Andolan's (NBA) truggle for the
rights of Adivasis and farmers. It was necessary
to push forward the controversial interlinking
rivers project and subsequent privatization of
rivers and water ", asserted Medha Patkar while
describing the present situation in the Narmada
valley and elsewhere.

"This clique is so fanatically opposed to any
opposition to any project and policy of usurping
people's rights and livelihoods, that it has been
manipulating the all legal and constitutional
processes and making it impossible for any
democratic and non-violent struggle to survive",
she said in various programmes in Pune on June
17. Medha Patkar held meetings with the close
supporters, intellectuals in the city and
delivered special lecture on the death
anniversary of veteran socialist ideologue, late
the N.G. Goray, on 'Politics of People's
Movements'.

She castigated the incoming report of Prime
Ministers' Oversight committee (Shunglu
Committee) on Narmada resettlement as, "merely
eyewash to justify the fraudulent action taken
report (ATR) of Madhya Pradesh government on
rehabilitation. The credibility of the Prime
Minister's office, the National Sample Survey
organization and the Supreme Court is at stake,
if they become agents of the corporate interests".

" For these vested interests, entrenched in the
government, we - the NBA and NAPM have become an
obstacle in their larger agenda. The NBA and the
National Alliance or People's Movements (NAPM),
have been building resistance to the rural and
urban displacement, against the land-mafias,
builder-contractor lobby and against the
privatization of water and other public services.
They are furious of our strong opposition to the
capitalist Globalization and neo-liberal
policies. It is unfortunate that Indian ruling
class,  and the laws and regulations are being
manipulated for the sake of the multinational and
Indian capitalists and market-economy at the cost
of people's rights and livelihood", she made
clear while addressing the overflowing auditorium
at S.M Joshi Socialist Foundation  gathered to
hear her.

She strongly hinted that this 'collective of the
bureaucrats, corporate powers, political managers
and multilateral organizations' is bent upon
closing all the options for the non-violent and
democratic struggles. " We are firm believers in
the non-violent resistance, but the state and
corporate brutality has created doubt about the
efficacy of non-violent resistance. It may drive
some of them to opt for some other means", she
cautioned.

Corporate War on People

"It is not only about the Narmada struggle, but
also about the issues of fisherpeople's struggle,
or the brutal evictions in Delhi or Mumbai, the
firing at Kalinganagar and repression in other
mining Adivasi areas, suppressing the
mill-workers in Mumbai, brutally demolishing the
slums and jhuggis in Mumbai, Delhi  or evicting
the hawkers regarding the issue of the
reservations for the OBCs in the higher education
and jobs - everywhere the government, managed by
the bureaucrats, is openly serving the interests
of the Indian or global capitalists, by depriving
the people of their rights, resources and by
suppressing their resistance", she pointed out.
"The Manmohan Singh led the  United Progressive
Alliance government at centre is hobnobbing with
the communal-fascist government of Narendra Modi
in Gujarat on Narmada issue, while, the Left
front government in W. Bengal too is implementing
the same neo-liberal agenda".

Citing the recent actions of the Union government
and judiciary in the case of the Narmada, urban
poor, and mill workers or interlinking of rivers,
Medha Patkar pointed out that "the state
apparatus, including the bureaucracy and
judiciary, has turned against the rights and
interests of the common and poor people and
instead facilitating the rule of the market and
capital. It has become inimical to very existence
of tribals, dalits, farmers, organized and
unorganized workers and marginalized communities;
the political leaders, the dominant political
parties, the dominant media are trying to smother
the dissenting voices and resistance. The
nation's policy is being dictated by these
corporate and multilateral houses and agencies.
They do not wish the movements like the NBA to be
able to secure the rights of the Adivasis and
farmers and the NAPM to challenge the
builders-bureaucrats-politicians nexus. That is
why the have declared no holds barred war on the
people, using the police, corporate media, and
even co-opting the 'progressive' elite". She
criticized the Supreme Court of India for,
"destroying the spirit of equality and justice
enshrined by its architect Dr. B.R. Ambedkar."

The bureaucrats and multilateral financial
agencies have vested interests in the
Interlinking of Rivers Project (ILR). The World
Bank, has again started financing to the
large-scale projects, against its own earlier
policies. It also shrugged off the report of
World Commission on Dams, of which the Bank was a
sponsor. "As the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has
been thinking about financing this trillion
dollars project, destroying the land, water
sources and forests along with the communities
through large scale displacement, we heard that
the World Bank President Wolfowitz had already
visited India and cleared the loan to the ILR,
which it had previously denied. The ILR means
building up of hundreds of large dams, without
caring for environmental clearances, or the
displacement of the billions of people and their
forests and their rights. It is the clear sign of
privatization or rivers and water and land on a
massive level".

Government for Corporates

People's resistance to the massive evictions for
so called 'infrastructure projects' in Mumbai,
Delhi, Kolkata and many other cities has forced
the corporate powers and bureaucrats to unleash
the repression, demolition and arson on the
working people living in the slums. The
government is handing over the prime land to the
builders lobby and their high-rise projects. The
media also has been influenced by these
interests, as they do not highlight the
tribulations of and resistance by the poor, she
said. "The large corporate houses like Reliance
are purchasing fertile land tracts in the command
area of the Sardar Sarovar Project, though the
government could hardly harness barely 10% of the
water made available in the canals at the dam
height of 110 meters. Despite exposing one myth
after another regarding the dam and its benefits,
the entire state apparatus including judiciary is
not ready to evoke the rule of law" she
alleged.

In her comprehensive analysis of the political,
social, national and international aspects of the
politics of people's movements, Medha Patkar
dealt with the interaction with the Left parties.
Terming them as the 'natural alleys of people's
movements', she appreciated that the Left parties
are the only mainstream parties to take a
pro-people and pro-NBA stand- though considerably
late and if not fully. She hoped that the through
continuous mutual interaction, the areas of
differences and agreements and cooperation would
be clearer.

She made it clear that the people's movements
have an independent standing and purpose from the
electoral party, though some of the former may
wish to raise a pro-people party. The progressive
party and movement are the two main areas in
larger people's politics.  Medha Patkar appealed
to all the citizens concerned with democratic
rights, equality and justice to participate in
any possible way - right from writing letters,
articles in the newspapers to highlight the
people's issues and about the designs of vested
interests.

Sanjay Sangvai
Suniti S.R.

Dawn
June 20, 2006

KARACHI: FISHERMEN'S PROTEST RALLY SUPPRESSED

By Our Staff Reporter

KARACHI, June 19: Police fired blank shots and
teargas shells to disperse fishermen who had
converged on Toll Plaza, Super Highway and
National Highway to enter the city with intention
to take part in a rally organised by the Pakistan
Fisherfolk Forum (PFF) on Monday.

At least 22 PPF members were arrested and the PFF
claimed that another 17, including two women,
were unaccounted for.

The forum had planned to hold a protest
demonstration at the Mazar-i-Quaid and march
towards the Sindh Assembly to draw the
government's attention to the plight of fishermen
communities of Sindh. Its demands included end to
the contract system for fishing in the inland
water bodies and ban on deep-sea trawlers.

Fishermen from the remote areas of Sindh had
travelled to Karachi to take part in the rally.

Meanwhile, PFF President Mohammad Ali Shah has
condemned the police action and told Dawn that 17
participants, including two women who had come
from Badin, were still unaccounted for since the
police launched the crackdown.

Terming the police action 'injustice with the
fisherman community', he argued that it was not a
political rally. "We are part of the civil
society, and fighting for our due rightsŠtaking
out a peaceful rally and staging a demonstration
is our constitutional right," he argued.

Referring to the police action at Gaghar Phatak,
Mr Shah said the police first allowed the
protesters to go ahead after stopping them
briefly at the place. However, shortly
afterwards, the policemen who had taken up
positions around started firing teargas shells at
the buses carrying men and women.

At Toll Plaza on Super Highway also, police
chased and beat up the fishermen with batons as
if they were animals, he deplored, claiming that
at least 200 people were injured in the police
action.

Despite the police action, a number of protesters
had managed to reach Mazar-i-Quaid where they
were encircled by police and told not to move
ahead, he added.

According to the PFF chief, his organisation had
written to the TPOs Jamshed and Saddar, DIG
Operations, CCPO Karachi and the provincial home
department several weeks back for protection to
the planned rally, but there was no response from
any of them.

"At least they could have intimated us if they
were not going to allow holding of the rally," he
contended.

Meanwhile, senior police officials could not be
reached to comment when contacted.

According to PPI, Mr Shah told a rally at the
Mazar-i-Quaid that holding peaceful protest was
their basic right as enshrined in the
constitution.

He claimed that more than 7,000 people from
across Sindh had come to Karachi to participate
in the rally but had been stopped by
law-enforcement agencies at Toll Plaza using
force in violation of the democratic norms and
standards.

He claimed that the agencies applied baton-charge
and fired teargas shells to block the rally
injuring more than a dozen of participants.

However, he said, fishermen would not stop their
protest until their demands were met. He
threatened to organise a march up to Islamabad
and rallies in all major cities of the country if
the government failed to take concrete measure
towards resolving the problems being faced by
fishermen. He said that the issues would be
raised at international forums.

Terming the contract system for fishing in inland
water bodies 'economic murder of fishermen', he
pointed out that fishermen across Sindh were
facing starvation due to the system but the
rulers were least concerned about their miseries.

PFF leaders demanded abolition of contract system
and implementation of licence system in its
place. They urged the Sindh government to fulfil
its commitment by introducing the fishermen
cooperative societies system.

"Even if licence system is introduced, there is
fear that the influential people who have been
exploiting the fishing resources would not allow
fishermen to fish independently. Therefore, the
government should make appropriate arrangements
to protect fisherman communities' interests,"
speakers on the occasion said, urging the
government to bring illegal occupation of fishing
waters to an end and take stern action against
occupiers.

They pointed out that the fisherman communities
of Sindh had been fishing freely in these waters
to earn their livelihood since 1947 but, with the
objective of regulating fishing and registering
local fishermen, the Sindh government had
introduced licence system in 1977 and provided it
legal cover through the Sindh Fisheries Act-1980.

A few years back, they said, the Sindh government
introduced contract/auction system that resulted
in transfer of fishing rights to influential
contractors, rendering the local fishermen almost
without a livelihood.

They deplored that the government during the
current year started the process of abolishing
the licence system across the province.

Leaders and workers of the Muttahida Labour
Federation, Pearl Continental Hotel Workers'
Union, Sindh Hari Mazdoor Mahigeer Alliance,
Mazdoor Mahaz Amal and others worker unions and
organisations attended the rally in a large
number.

South Asians Against Nukes Post
June 20, 2006

THE BOMB, BIOGRAPHY AND THE INDIAN MIDDLE CLASS

The Indian middle class often sees itself as
living amongst, but not living with the
majority of its fellow citizens. Through a close
reading of the autobiography of the late
nuclear scientist Raja Ramanna, this article
argues that one of the existential realities
of being a middle class Indian is an inescapable
desire to escape the rest of India.

by Sankaran Krishna (Economic and Political Weekly, June 10, 2006)

[7]  ON - GOING AND UPCOMING EVENTS

(i)  ROZGAR HAQ YATRA LAUNCHED

Four months  spent after India launched 'the
world's biggest social security scheme called
National Employment Guarantee Act Schemes doubts
are creeping up on the workability of a programme
to provide work for 25 million unemployed rural
people.

Several questions are cropping up. Has the
National Rural Employment Guarantee (NREG)
programme been able to halt migration from
villages to cities? Is the money enough? Do
eligible rural adult youth including women and
physically challenged person are coming forward
for registration? Is the work going to the
genuinely needy? Does it will provide space for
women and physically challenged person? Do
villagers will get work under this? Do Panchayat
will provide liberty to gram sabha members for
Panchayat Planning as per their needs and
provisions? How much corruption has crept in? Do
all the records could be maintain properly at
every level? Does the vigilance committee will
become functional in reality? Starvation deaths
of Kushi Nagar and other districts  also raising
these questions.

For keeping in mind these questions, we  lunched
a campaign called - Rozgar Haq Abhiyan in 22
districts of Uttar Pradesh and 3 Districts of
Uttaranchal. Under this campaign we will organize
a week long ROZGAR HAQ YATRA in all the 25
districts ( U.P.and Uttaranchal) starting from
today (15 June). And during it final culmination
day, we will organize a public hearing to
consolidate our learning and experiences on 22
June 2006

o o  o

(ii)

MEETING OF NATIONAL URBAN DEVELOPMENT STRUGGLE AND ACTION COMMITTEE ON JULY 7-8

National Urban Development Struggle and Action Committee
C/o Lokayan, 13, Alipur Road Delhi- 13
Phone: 09868200316 , E-mail: rajendra_ravi at idsindia.net, mumbainapm at gmail.com

Dear Friends,

The urban poor across the country are facing an
unprecedented onslaught, of the capitalist and
consumerist forces and undemocratically imposed
plans. The resultant eviction is brutal and
unconstitutional. The Right to Shelter,
livelihood and every constitutional right is
being violated, and the people are denied even a
basic support and citizen’s right to democratic
participation. The toiling, unorganised working
class that builds and runs the city, beyond caste
and creed, class and community is excluded from
the development benefits and instead, are
compelled to face the backlash in the form of
displacement to destitution.

The scenario has changed into the most inhuman
and accelerated State attack with bulldozers to
arsons as the weapons, used and approved by every
organ of the State. The large percentage of city
dwellers, in slums and chawls, in hawking and
trade are facing this, but also raising voice,
struggling against all odds. Even with a shrunken
space, when we question our own government, the
vested interests and exploitative economics, the
foreign and Indian capital invested in the name
of urban renewal, infrastructure or development
facilitated by international financing
institutions, the World Bank, ADB are playing a
foul game. The policy changes be it land ceiling
to the National Urban Renewal Mission indicate
distorted priorities and hence need serious and
strong questioning with propagating pro-poor,
sustainable and equitable alternatives.

This is not a small task nor is it a short-term
goal. It requires an alliance amongst all those
working with the urban poor slum dwellers to
workers, women, children and all the deprived,
that would lead a national movement. The urban
poor in action can and will join the rural poor
their counterparts in the regions, they
themselves were thrown out of.
It is towards this end that a major plan with
humble aim of a national challenge to the state
and its investor-lender allies is planned under
the banner of the National Urban Development
Struggle and Action Committee formed during the
national convention held in Mumbai

We intend to hold a meeting on July 7th and 8th
night, during and as a part of the National
Meeting on Displacement and Development to be
conveyed by NAPM at Gandhi Bhavan, Shyamala
Hills, Near Polytechnic Chauraha, Bhopal.

Please do attend.

Thereafter a month long national tour of various
cities and a few towns in the country by senior
activists eminent persons and representatives of
urban mass based organizations and supporters
will commence from September 28th the Shaheed
Niyogi Diwas and the Harsud Day. This will
obviously be turned into a National Conference in
Delhi on October 28th to 30th to discuss and
deliberate on NURM, the various facets of urban
development, analyze the States role and our
rights as also to evolve effective strategies. We
all must know that Desh Bachao Desh Banao
Andolan, conceived to be initiated in 2007 will
also have a large participation of the urban
struggles and strugglers

Your participation in all of these programmes
beginning from July 7-8th is therefore,
indispensable (a separate invitation is enclosed).

Do write to us with your views, suggestions and
commitments seen as likely, at the earliest.

With regards,
Rajendra Ravi, Shaktiman Ghosh,  Raju Bhise,  Sushil George, and Medha Patkar

o o o

(iii)

2ND VISA-FREE AND PEACEFUL SOUTH ASIA CONVENTION
  6 to 9 [2006] August in Lahore, Pakistan

Friends,

Many people on both sides of the Pakistan-India
border are working for peace and friendship
between the two countries. Last year we organized
a phenomenal peace march from India to Pakistan
that involved the citizens of both countries and
fostered feelings of friendship and hospitality.

The friends who joined us in the march felt the
need after the peace march to continue the
process of peace and friendship in South Asia. We
decided that the dates should be from Hiroshima
Day (August 6) to Nagasaki Day (August 9) for a
peace convention. As a result we had the first
Peace Convention with the agenda of a Visa and
Nuclear-Free South Asia in Delhi.

This year we want to continue the tradition of
dialogue on peace and the struggle for a just
society. This is an invitation to join the Second
Seminar on a Nuclear and Visa Free South Asia. We
hope this year to have more representation from
other South Asian countries, not just Pakistan
and India.

So all who have been or want to get involved in
the peace movement are welcome. Whether you are a
writer or journalist, work with a theatre group
or musical band or wish to participate in any
other way, the Seminar for a Nuclear and Visa
Free South Asia can be your platform and an
excellent opportunity to meet other South Asian
peace activists.

  If you are interested in participating in the
Peace Convention please send your inquiries to
visafreesouthasia at yahoo.com . If you are from
India please contact Rajeshwar at
ojha at valleyus.com  Also please note that if you
are participating from outside Pakistan please
send your passport details before June 15, 2006.

Please find below the resolution passed in the
first Visa free and Peaceful South Asia
Convention in 2005.

  Comradely,
Diep

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/