SACW | 18-23 Apr 2006 | Nepali's Push for Democracy; South Asia Needs A Bomb-Less Deal; India's Hindu Right; Rally to Narmada

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Apr 23 19:00:11 CDT 2006

South Asia Citizens Wire | 18-23 April, 2006 | Dispatch No. 2239

[1]  Nepal -  A Tidal Wave for Democracy Building Up:
  (i) In Solidarity With The Democratic Uprising In Nepal - A statement
(ii) Statement to the EU Ambassadors and the UN,
by a group of eminent Nepali citzens
(iii) Letter from Nepal (Tapan Bose)
(iv) Nepal's Battle Is No Part of the Bush War (J. Sri Raman)
[2]  South Asia Needs A Bomb-Less Deal (Pervez Hoodbhoy)
[3] What constitutes the Real Threat to India ? (Subhash Gatade)
[4] India - Gujarat: Press Release - Intimidation
and Victimisation by Gujarat Police (Citizens for
Justice and Peace)
+ Notice to Gujarat Government in Pandarwada case (Manas Dasgupta)
[5] India: Pol  Khol Yatra being organized by the
Narmada Bachao Andolan from April 25th - 27th

___

[1]  NEPAL: A Tidal Wave for Democracy Building Up

(i) URL: http://www.sacw.net/free/Nepal22April06.html

(23 April 2006)

Please support this statement, publicise it in
your country and send copies to your government,
Nepal
embassy and the UN agencies who are still supporting the king

IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE DEMOCRATIC UPRISING IN NEPAL

The compromise proposed by King Gyanendra of
Nepal on Friday, April 21st evening, which
envisages his continuance as a constitutional
monarch, is a last-ditch attempt to perpetuate
the old order. It will not satisfy the demand for
the establishment of a true democracy in the
country, for the fulfillment of which the nation
has risen in a spontaneous and mass revolt.
We must recall that the pledge to go in for an
elected Constituent Assembly had first been made
through the Interim Government of Nepal Act,
1951, proclaimed by King Tribhuvan in February
1951. After a long period of democratic struggle,
the political parties led by the Nepali Congress
formed a coalition government in April 1990 and
worked out yet another compromise with the
palace. Their failure to elect a Constituent
Assembly vitiated the promise of democracy. The
vitiation resulted in the declaration of a
People's War in February 1996. After a long
period of State repression and political
violence, all the democratic forces in the
country are once again united on the core demand
for an elected Constituent Assembly.  The latest
proposal of king Gyanendra to go back to the old
order, after all the violence and turmoil the
country has been through, appears to be senseless
in not taking cognizance of the aspiration of the
Nepali people to be masters of their own destiny.
It is also bereft of any pragmatic value. As the
inexorable effervescence of democratic uprising
in the country demonstrates, the monarchical
tyranny in the country does not fulfill even the
minimal criterion of an effective regime with at
least some semblance of legitimacy. Not only are
the people of Nepal out on the streets, even the
government officials, in growing numbers, appear
to have joined the democratic uprising. It must
also be pointed out that the international law
forbids external interventions that go against
the political will of a sovereign people.  The
consequences of any attempt to stem the tide of
democratic uprising in the country with brutal
force or political subterfuge can only be tragic
and politically volatile.
The international community of nations and the
civil society, especially in South Asia, have an
obligation to try to avert the repression of
Nepal's democratic will through violence. It is
their duty to recognize and support the arduous
and peaceful struggle of the people of Nepal to
attain a framework of rule of law that
democratizes all important positions of authority
within the State. The procedures and the politics
of the constitutional process can vary but they
cannot develop without respect for the idea of
the sovereignty of people; the current state of
democratic uprising being a powerful assertion of
it.
The struggle of the Nepali people to attain a
democratic framework of rule of law has been
going on for long. It has survived myriad
betrayals and impediments since November 1950
when India first intervened to actively support
the demands for a democratic constitution,
fundamental rights, free and fair elections and
brokered a compromise between the feudal and
democratic forces. King Gyanendra terminated the
incomplete experiment of democratic transition
initiated by his brother in April 1990 by
usurping all executive powers of State through a
proclamation of Emergency made by him on 1
February 2005. Despite the reign of brutal
military repression unleashed by the State,
people of Nepal, in urban areas and more
significantly in the countryside, have once again
risen in massive numbers to defy tyranny and
totalitarianism. Hundreds of thousands of people
are disregarding the curfew, shoot at sight
orders, killing, bludgeoning, torture and
imprisonment to defy the monarchic tyranny and to
demand true democracy and the rule of law. Yet,
the international community of States has done
little to support the democratic struggle. On the
contrary, it has helped prop up the illegal
regime with military hardware and political
support, which it has been using implacably to
defeat the democratic upsurge. This must stop.
Nepal is in the danger of descending deeper into
the world of violent anarchy, with irrevocable
consequences for the stability and security of
entire South Asia, unless the governments and the
people of all the countries in the region speak
in one voice against the current regression of
the monarchic tyranny to its medieval mould.
We are here to extend our support and solidarity.
We appeal to the international community of
States and the civil society in the region and
outside to ensure that the extraordinary
phenomenon of democratic uprising in the country
in evidence today is not thwarted once again with
repression, violence, political ruse and
strategic manipulations.

o o o

(ii) URL: http://www.sacw.net/free/Nepal22April06.html

(Statement issued on 23rd April 2006 by a group
of eminent Nepali citizens who were arrested in
the capital, Kathmandu on April 8 while breaking
curfew to press for democratic rights in Nepal.)

To the Ambassadors
Of the European Union member states,
The United States, India, China,
and the Representative of the United Nations.

Duwakot, Bhaktapur District

Excellencies,

We civil society detainees, kept at the Duwakot
Armed Police barrack, believe that your
governments' welcoming response to Friday's
address by King Gyanendra was based on a
misperception of Nepali political reality and a
misreading of the address itself. Though surely
based on the best of intentions, your reaction
has needlessly delayed a peaceful transition in
the country at a critical hour, when millions of
Nepalis are on the streets agitating for an
immediate return to democracy. This show of
people's solidarity carried out massively and
peacefully all over the country and in Kathmandu
Valley, deserves more respect than has been
accorded by the international community.

While the royal address certainly indicated a
step back by the king, and it might even have
been adequate sometime ago, at the given moment
it was grievously misplaced in both tone and
substance. In terms of tone: the king justified
his 1 February 2005 coup d'etat; spoke in favour
of the security forces despite their dubious
record; did not acknowledge the need to engage
the Maoist rebels; and ignored the incredible
show of people power on the streets whose
essential demand is that kingship be abolished or
made absolutely powerless.

In terms of substance, the king has talked about
returning power that had been given to him for
'safekeeping', when the fact is that the events
of 4 October 2002 and 1 February 2005 represented
a naked power grab. Further, the king is not the
custodian of sovereignty, which is naturally
inherent in the people under the constitution of
1990 and it is not up to him to hand it back to
the people.

Most importantly, those who welcome the royal
address seem to believe that the king has
unequivocally conceded sovereignty to the Nepali
people. This is not our reading. Nowhere does
'sovereign' or 'sovereignty' occur in the Nepali
original, unlike in the translation, apparently
provided by the royal palace, where there is
reference to "source of sovereign authority". In
the Nepali original, the king refers to "state
power remaining with the people" as part of
listing the terms of reference of the government
to be formed. This phrase is included only in
passing, and does not amount to the king
conceding sovereignty as residing in the people.

According to two jurists, both framers of the
1990 Constitution, who are included in our
Duwakot group, 'state power' does not by any
stretch of imagination translate as 'sovereign
authority'. We believe that there is a sleight of
hand involved here, by a royal palace intent on
misleading the embassies. Overall, we conclude
that the king is not prepared to transfer
sovereign power.

As things stand, what king Gyanendra has asked
the political parties to do is to set up a
government with 'executive power' but without
legislative authority. In substance and form,
this government would have the same authority,
under the much-maligned Article 127 of the
Constitution, as given to governments constituted
thrice and disbanded as many times by the king
between October 2002 and February 2005. The
government would be an executive at the king's
command, meant to take responsibility for the
excesses committed under the royal direct rule.
It would only have the power over day-to-day
administration, without authority to undo the
ordinances, appointments, and other actions of
the king during his period of active rule.
Because the executive would act without the
backing of a legislature, the king would be the
authority of last resort, retaining the power of
dismissing the sitting prime minister.

Given the royal palace's record, we know that the
government to be formed would be hindered at
every step as the latter seeks to pursue the
publicly announced seven-party roadmap for peace
and democracy. Nor would this government have the
authority ab initio to challenge the army's
current role and the ongoing militarisation of
state and society by the royal regime. Further,
the royal address seeks to retain the link of
loyalty between the king and the army. This is a
far cry from what is needed: a government that
works on the mandate of the People's Movement and
not that of the royal palace. In sum, the king's
grudging concession does not address the great
issues that cry out for resolution.

We appeal to your excellencies to also recall the
many times that the royal palace has played the
game of deception with you, and to introspect
whether king Gyanendra, retaining all the powers
as head of state not responsible to a
legislature, will allow any forthcoming
government to act independently. Your attitude
seems to be "the king has given this much, take
it and make the best of it". Unfortunately,
neither the political parties nor we here in
Duwakot, are confident that the royal palace will
not intervene in the workings of the executive to
be formed. This would be in line with the
historical record of the royal palace victimizing
the people whenever there has been a move toward
genuine democracy.

We ask you, in the hours and days ahead, to be
more alert to royal machinations and to support
the political parties as they challenge the royal
palace. For our part, we would hope that the
political parties make a pro-active announcement
and seize the moment. There is a need for such an
initiative in order to prevent anarchy and
dangerous collapse of state structures. For this,
the political parties should unilaterally declare
restoration of the Third Parliament and/or
announce a parallel government. Thereafter, they
should consult with the Maoist rebels who have
credibly indicated their intention to enter open
politics, and announce elections to an
unconditional constituent assembly. We hope that
the international community will come forward
with immediate recognition of such a unilateral
declaration, required to prevent Nepal from
sinking into the pit of one kind of extremism or
another. In such an evolution, we see no role for
king Gyanendra other than as a mute spectator.

Please note, Excellencies, that this is the only
path to stability in Nepal which both the Nepali
masses and the international community want so
keenly. The world community, which has harboured
such enormous goodwill for the Nepali people and
which has been party to our nation-building and
development efforts for more than five decades,
must respect the maturity of the Nepali political
discourse which is speeding the current,
exhilarating People's Movement. Please also note,
Excellencies, the kingship is not indispensable
for the maintenance of Nepali nationhood, and
that it should henceforth remain, if at all, at
the cognisance of Nepal's 26 million citizens.

The latest announcement by the Indian Foreign
Secretary, about respecting the will of the
people of Nepal, we believe, provides a
corrective to the error evident in the Indian
government's initial welcome note. The Indian
corrective, we believe, should be emulated by all
other international players who wish the Nepali
people well.

Sincerely,

Signed by:

Mr. Rupak Adhikari, Mr. Anubhav Ajeet, Mr. Bimal
Aryal, Mr. Laxman Prasad Aryal, Mr. Ramesh
Bhattarai, Mr. Kanak Mani Dixit, Dr. Saroj
Dhital, Mr. Daman Nath Dhungana, Mr. Arjun
Parajuli, Mr. Bhasker Gautam, Dr. Madhu Ghimire,
Dr. Mahesh Maskey, Dr. Sarad Wanta, Dr. Bidur
Osti, Dr. Bharat Pradhan, Mr. Charan Prasai, Mr.
Padma Ratna Tuladhar, Mr. Malla K. Sunder

o o o

(iii)

Dear Friends,
Yesterday I joined a protest rally at about 5.00
p.m. near Sadtobato on the Ring Road. There were
more than 10,000 people in the rally. As we moved
along the road towards Balkhu more and more
people joined the rally. Men and women, young and
old were carrying green branches in their hands.
I asked them the significance of the green
branch. I was told that in Nepal, when people
join a funeral rally they carry a green branch.
This they said was the funeral of the Shah
dynasty. At different places on the road some of
the protesters set fire to wooden logs and old
car and truck tyres. These were the symbolic
funeral pyres of the Shah dynasty. They were
chanting "Gynendra Chor Desh chor" (Thief
Gyanendra leave the country.), Hamro Paras kasto
Chaa- kukur jasto chaa (Our Paras is like a mad
dog.)  In one voice they said the movement will
not stop till the king was driven out and a
"complete democracy" was established by a
Constituent assembly elected by the people of
Nepal.  I let the rally at about 6.45 p.m. to
listen to the proclamation of the king.

The king as you all know has offered too little
too late. Harking back to the great tradition of
the Shah dynasty in protecting the sovereignty of
the nation and the safety of the subjects, he
said the sovereignty of Nepal d taken into his
safe custody, was being re3turned to the people.
And, this he was going to do by transferring the
executive powers of the state to a council of
ministers under Article 35 of the 1990
constitution. He invited the Seven Part Alliance
to recommend the name of person who he will
appoint as the Prime Minister. It was a sick
joke.  There were at least a quarter million
people on the streets of Kathmandu asking for his
immediate departure when he made this so-called
offer.

The massive rally of more than a hundred thousand
protesters at Kalanki, the newly named "Republic
Square", in one voice rejected the king's offer.
They said that an interim government must be set
up by the Seven Party Alliance without going to
the king. This government must immediately call
for elections to the Constituent Assembly, invite
the Maoists to dialogue and ensure their
participation in the election to the Constituent
Assembly.  Through out the night the people
continued to voice their rejection of king's
offer. According to reports more than a million
people had gathered in different parts of Nepal,
urban and rural and through the night, they too
continued to express their rejection of the
king's offer. Almost all the leaders of the Seven
Party Alliance, the civil society activists
inside and outside the jail and the Maoists have
rejected the offer of the king.

The foreign governments and international
agencies have supported the king. India is
sending another envoy, Mr. Jaswant Singh, a
former foreign minister of India in the Hindu
fundamentalist government and a former ruler of a
princely state under the British in Rajasthan. He
has said that India continues to support
multi-party democracy and constitutional monarchy
in Nepal. Obviously, New Delhi has not heard the
voices of the people of Nepal. Like New Delhi,
the USA, the European Union, Mr. Kofi Anan have
also deaf.

The king has re-imposed curfew from 12 noon till
8.00 p.m. today (April 22, 2006). Yesterday the
army and the police did to shoot at the
protesters except in New Baneshwor in Kathmandu.
The representatives of the UN High Commissioner
for Human Rights were allowed five curfew passes.
The national Human Rights Commission was given
four such passes.  The protest rallies have not
been called off. As I was walking to my office
from my house in Dhobighat, I saw men and women
leaving their homes to go join the protest
rallies in Baneshwor, Chabahil and Kalanki. An
old woman told me "we will not stop till we drive
out this king".

I am not a Nepali. I am Indian. I have been here
for about ten years. I believe it is my duty to
be a part of the movement. I also must protest
against the position of the government of India
which is a clear violation of the inalienable
right of the people of Nepal to seek any change
in their polity. It will be a sad day for India,
world's largest democracy if it ends up helping a
rouge king in suppressing the democratic
struggles of the people.

I appeal to all democratic Indians and all fellow
South Asian to stand up for the Nepalese people.
Oppose the pro-Nepal king policies of our
governments. Organise rallies, pickets and
meeting condemning this betrayal of the people of
Nepal. Send protest letters to heads of states
and the Secretary General of the UN asking them
to change their current position.

The Seven Part Alliance which is spear heading
the popular peaceful movement and has already
worked out a road map to peace with the Maoists
has already received a massive mandate of the
people of Nepal. The people have spilled their
blood on the streets and given their lives to
express their support for a Constituent Assembly.
It this Seven party Alliance, which must form the
interim government immediately. They do not and
must not seek the approval of this rouge king. He
has no legitimacy in the eyes of the people of
Nepal.  The foreign governments and the
international agencies must recognise this
interim government, if they do not want to
participate in more bloodshed and mayhem in the
country.

Tapan Kumar Bose
Secretary general
South Asia Forum for Human Rights
Kathmandu
Email: bose.tapan at gmail.com

o o o

(iv)

truthout.org

NEPAL'S BATTLE IS NO PART OF THE BUSH WAR
by J. Sri Raman

     The Himalayan kingdom of Nepal is witnessing
a heightened popular surge for democracy. King
Gyanendra cowers as relentless waves of people
battle uniformed protectors of royalty in the
bloodstained streets of picturesque Kathmandu,
the country's capital. A conspiracy is on,
however, to convert the battle into a part of a
so-called "war for democracy" that the world has
come to dread.

     The people of the tiny nation, particularly
the youth free from the feudal tradition of
loyalty to the King, continue their heroic
struggle despite the mortar bombs dropped from
military helicopters on agitating crowds
including women and children. Hardly concealed,
meanwhile, are attempts to hijack the struggle
into the holy war on "terror," unleashed by the
George Bush administration of the USA.

     The Bush regime has long been engaged in a
war on "terror" in Nepal - but on the King's
side. It is now pretending to an initiative on
the people's side through a new-found regional
proxy - but may end up bailing Gyanendra out of
his grave predicament.

     The dangers of such disorientation facing the
struggle find illustration in the impact of the
Nepal events in India.

     It was about two months before 9/11 that
Gyanendra made his gory ascent to the throne. His
anointment as king after a massacre of King
Birendra and the rest of the entire royal family
by Crown Prince Dipendra is an oft-recounted
piece of recent history. Not so well recorded is
the post-9/11 story of an increasingly intimate
Washington-Kathmandu alliance.

     It was "terrorism" of the Communist Party of
Nepal (Maoist), or CPNM, popularly called
Maoists, that supplied the rationale of the
alliance. It was the same "threat" that also
provided the King a rationale for his subsequent
assaults on a parliamentary democracy that
co-existed with a constitutional monarchy and
that the people had won after years of struggle.

     India's stand has similarly been one of
support for democracy as also for constitutional
monarchy in Nepal (the two being described as
"the twin pillars" of a desirable order in Nepal)
along with anti-Maoist solidarity with Kathmandu.
The similarity has acquired a new significance
ever since the birth and growth of a USA-India
"strategic partnership."

     Promoters of this "partnership" are busy
pleading for intervention in Nepal by India as an
ally of Bush in "the war on terror."

     In January 2002, Colin Powell, at the time US
Secretary of State, paid an unprecedented visit
to Kathmandu to announce open and total support
for the monarchy in crushing the Maoists. "You
have a Maoist insurgency that's trying to
overthrow the government and this really is the
kind of thing that we are fighting against
throughout the world," Powell declared. The
then-US ambassador to Nepal James Francis
Moriarty made no secret of America's "strategic
interest" in the region.

     The partnership had grown to menacing
proportions by February 2005, when Gyanendra
sacked the elected government of Prime Minister
Sher Bahadur Deuba and declared an emergency.
Wrote US journalist Conn Hallinan: "The Bush
Administration has concluded that the civil war
threatens to make Nepal a "failed state" and a
haven for international terrorists, leading it to
place the CPNM on the State Department's 'Watch
List,' along with organizations like al Qaeda,
Abu Sayyaf, and Lebanon's Hezbollah." Then US
Ambassador to Nepal Michael E. Malinowski waxed
enthusiastic in his endorsement of the King's
line.

     As I wrote in these columns then, the result
was "the heavy influx into South Asia's poorest
nation of US weaponry and military equipment,
along with British helicopters and American
advisers, to aggravate a civil war that has taken
a toll of thousands of Nepali lives."

     India, for its part, had been extending
anti-terror military assistance of 4.5 billion
Indian rupees to Nepal per year. New Delhi did
discontinue this assistance in February 2005, but
it took only a few face-saving measures by the
King for it to resume its military supplies.

     In the current context, staunch Indian
lobbyists for the "strategic partnership" are
asking New Delhi to play the role of the super
power's regional proxy in this matter. One of
them, C. Raja Mohan, for example, writes: "In the
last few years much of the world, including the
United States and the European Union have waited
for India to take the lead on Nepal and agreed to
coordinate their policies with those of New
Delhi. If India holds back, other powers would
soon begin to act on their own." The other powers
presumably include China, which has played an
unabashedly pro-monarchy role thus far and has
just started recognizing parliamentary parties in
Nepal.

     Warns Raja Mohan : "If India does not act
immediately, the ground situation - worsening by
the day - would compel India to consider more
drastic remedies in the future. That could
include military intervention to prevent state
failure in Nepal."

     Ironically, the main opposition to such a
course come from the far right which, during the
term of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari
Vajpayee, had set the "strategic partnership" in
motion. The ground for their opposition would be
the special place for Nepal in their as the
"world's only Hindu kingdom." Apologists for the
king in these quarters have even advocated
absolute monarchy.

     This opposition can conceivably be overcome
if the US-India partnership over Nepal is
projected as a possible precedent for a similarly
combined role with regard to Pakistan and Kashmir
in particular. The Vajpayee government, it may be
recalled, spoke in significant approval of the
right of nations to pre-emptive anti-terror
strikes and pressed for extension of such a right
to India.

     Needless to add, such an extension of the
"war on terror" to Nepal can do no good at all to
the cause of peace in South Asia.

     A freelance journalist and a peace activist
of India, J. Sri Raman is the author of
Flashpoint (Common Courage Press, USA). He is a
regular contributor to t r u t h o u t.

____

[2]

South Asians Against Nukes - April 23, 2006

SOUTH ASIA NEEDS A BOMB-LESS DEAL
by
Pervez Hoodbhoy

For all who have opposed Pakistan's nuclear
program over the years - including myself - the
US-India nuclear agreement may probably be the
worst thing that has happened in a long time.

Post agreement: Pakistan's ruling elite is
confused and bitter. They know that India has
overtaken Pakistan in far too many areas for
there to be any reasonable basis for symmetry.
They see the US is now interested in
reconstructing the geopolitics of South Asia and
in repairing relations with India, not in
mollifying Pakistani grievances. Nevertheless,
there were lingering hopes of a sweetener during
President George W. Bush's furtive and unwelcomed
visit in March 2006 to Islamabad. There was none.

This change in US policy thrilled many in India.
Many enjoyed President Musharraf's discomfiture.
But they would do well to restrain their
exuberance. The nuclear deal, even if ratified,
will not dramatically increase nuclear power
production - currently this stands at only 3% of
the total production, and can at most double to
6% if currently planned reactors are built and
made operational over the next decade. On the
other hand, Pakistan is bound to react - and
react badly - once US nuclear materials and
equipment starting rolling into India.

One certain consequence will be more bombs on
both sides of the border. The deal is widely seen
in Pakistan as signaling America's support or
acquiescence, or perhaps even surrender, to
India's nuclear ambitions. India will be freely
able to import uranium fuel for its safeguarded
civilian reactors. This will free up the
remainder of its scarce uranium resources for
making plutonium. Further, when India's
thorium-fuelled breeder reactors are fully
operational, India will be able to produce more
bombs in one year than in the last 30.

Not surprisingly, important voices in Pakistan
have started to demand that Pakistan match India
bomb-for-bomb. Abdus Sattar, ex-foreign minister
of Pakistan, advocates "replication of the Kahuta
plant to produce more fissile uraniumŠ. to
rationalize and upgrade Pakistan's minimum
deterrence capability". He has also written about
the need to "accelerate its [Pakistan's] missile
development programme".

This is a prescription for unlimited nuclear
racing, given that "minimum deterrence" is
essentially an open-ended concept. Pakistan has
mastered centrifuge technology, and giving birth
to more Kahutas would require only a political
decision. Moreover, unlike India, Pakistan is not
constrained by supplies of natural uranium. Thus,
at least in principle, Pakistan can increase its
bomb production considerably.

Although nuclear hawks in India and Pakistan had
once pooh-poohed the notion of an arms race,
there is little doubt that India and Pakistan are
solidly placed on a Cold War trajectory. As more
bombs are added to the inventory every year, and
intermediate range ballistic missiles steadily
roll off the production lines, both countries
seek ever more potent weaponry.

Many years ago, all three countries crossed the
point where they could lay cities to waste and
kill millions in a matter of minutes. The
fantastically cruel logic, known as nuclear
deterrence, requires only the certainty that one
nuclear bomb will be able to penetrate the
adversary's defences and land in the heart of a
city. No one has the slightest doubt that this
capability was crossed multiple times over during
the past few decades.

What action would best serve the interest of the
peoples of India and Pakistan, as well as of
China?

A fissile material cutoff is the easiest and most
straightforward way to ease nuclear tensions. It
offers the best hope to limit the upwards spiral
in warhead numbers. Instead of threatening to
create more Kahutas, Pakistan should offer to
stop production of highly enriched uranium while
India should respond by ceasing to reprocess its
reactor wastes. Previous stockpiles possessed by
either country should not be brought into issue
because their credible verification is extremely
difficult and would inevitably derail an
agreement. Years of negotiation at the Conference
on Disarmament in Geneva came to naught for this
very reason.  A series of "Nuclear Risk
Reduction" talks between Pakistan and India have
also produced zero results. The cessation of
fissile material production is completely absent
from the agenda; it must be made a central item
now.

If a Pakistan-India bilateral agreement could
somehow come through, it would have fantastically
positive effects elsewhere. China - which is the
major target of US nuclear weapons - may not have
enough warheads to match the US but has more than
a sufficient number to constitute a nuclear
deterrent. Inspired by an Indian cutoff, it could
formally declare a moratorium on fissile material
production. The US, which no longer produces
fissile materials because it has a huge excess,
could encourage the Chinese action by offering to
suspend work on its Nuclear Missile Defence (NMD)
system.

Unfortunately the United States is not acting as
a force for peace in South Asia. Confronted by
the accusation that it is pumping arms into a
region that some of its leaders had once
described as a "nuclear tinder box", US officials
have responded defensively with answers such as:
you have to deal with the world as it is and the
Indian program cannot be rolled back; India is a
democracy; India needs to import nuclear fuel and
technology and we need to sell them. But such
lame replies sweep under the carpet the
disturbing history of near-nuclear conflict on
the subcontinent for which the US has often taken
credit for defusing.

The arms race directly benefits Indian and
Pakistan elites. Hence they are tacit
collaborators as they woo the US and prove that
their states belong to the community of
"responsible nuclear states" that are worthy of
military and nuclear assistance. The past has
been banished by an unwritten agreement. Retired
Pakistani and Indian generals and leaders meet
cordially at conferences around the world and
happily clink glasses together. They emphatically
deny that the two countries had even come close
to a nuclear crisis in the past. Being now
charged with the mission of projecting an image
of "responsibility" abroad, none amongst them
wants to bring back the memory of South Asian
leaders hurling ugly nuclear threats against each
other.

But instances of criminal nuclear behaviour are
to be found even in the very recent past. For
example, India's Defence Minister George
Fernandes told the International Herald Tribune
on June 3, 2002 that "India can survive a nuclear
attack, but Pakistan cannot." Indian Defence
Secretary Yogendra Narain had taken things a step
further in an interview with Outlook Magazine: "A
surgical strike is the answer," adding that if
this failed to resolve things, "We must be
prepared for total mutual destruction." On the
Pakistani side, at the peak of the 2002 crisis,
General Musharraf had threatened that Pakistan
would use "unconventional means" against India if
necessary.

Tense times may return at some point in the in
the future. But Indian and Pakistani leaders are
likely to once again abdicate from their own
responsibilities whenever that happens. Instead,
they will again entrust disaster prevention to
the US.

Of course, it would be absurd to lay the blame on
the US for all that has gone wrong between the
two countries. Surely the US does not want to
destabilize the subcontinent, and it does not
want a South Asian holocaust. But one must be
aware that for the US this is only a peripheral
interest - the core of its interest in South
Asian nuclear issues stems from the need to limit
Chinese power and influence, fear of Al-Qaida and
Muslim extremism, and the associated threat of
nuclear terrorism.

The Americans will sort out their business and
priorities as they see fit. But it is unwise to
participate in a plan that leaves South Asian
neighbours at each others throats while
benefiting a power that sits on the other side of
the globe.

Regional tensions will increase because of the
deal. Given that the motivation for the US-India
nuclear agreement comes partly from the US's
desire to contain China, the Pakistan-China
strategic relationship will be considerably
strengthened. In practical terms, this may amount
to enhanced support for Pakistan's missile
program, or even its military nuclear program.
Speaking at Pakistan's National Defense College
in Islamabad a day before Bush's arrival there,
Musharraf declared that "My recent trip to China
was part of my effort to keep Pakistan's
strategic options open."

By proceeding with the nuclear deal with India
the US may destabilize South Asia. It will also
wreck the NPT, take the heat off Iran and North
Korea, open the door for Japan to convert its
plutonium stocks into bombs, and bring about
global nuclear anarchy.

[ Published in Economic and Political Weekly
(India) and The Friday Times  (Pakistan), week of
17 April, 2006.]
The author is professor of nuclear and high
energy physics at Quaid-e-Azam University in
Islamabad.

____

[3]

sacw.net > Communalism Repository - April 22, 2006

WHAT CONSTITUTES THE REAL THREAT TO INDIA?
by Subhash Gatade

Hyderabad : BJP leader L.K.Advani has said that
after naxalism and terrorism, infiltration of
Bangladeshi nationals from across the border was
the third biggest threat to country's security.
(The Hindu, April 19, 2006 )

'(they) were doomed to the flames and burnt, to
serve as a nightly illumination when daylight had
expired. Nero offered his gardens for the
spectacle.'
Tacitus (Roman historian and official, c.58 to 115 C.E.)
The Annals, Book XV, C.E. 62-65

Lal Krishna Advani, ex President of BJP would not
have imagined in his wildest dreams that Sangh
Parivar's own people, would get caught in making
illegal bombs just when he with his entourage was
busy sermonising all and sundry about threats
before the nation. And the coincidence was
striking. According to a writeup in Mid Day ( 9
th April 2006) "..[o]n the eve of Lal Krishna
Advani's Bharat Suraksha Yatra in Maharashtra,
police officials in Nanded said Bajrang Dal
activists were actually making a bomb before a
bomb exploded in an activist's house." It is
worth noting that in this bomb blast two people
died on the spot and three others got badly
injured. The investigating officer was
categorical enough to tell that the duo Naresh
and Himanshu, which died on the spot were 'office
bearers of Bajrang Dal from time to time and used
to attend their meetings,'.
[. . .]
FULL TEXT AT:

____

[4]

Citizens for Justice and Peace (CJP)

Press Release

April 20, 2006

INTIMIDATION AND VICTIMISATION BY GUJARAT POLICE:
NOTICE TO GUJARAT GOVERNMENT

Justice AS Dave of the Gujarat HC has issued
notice to the Gujarat Government on the plea of
victim survivors of the Pandharwada massacre for
stay and transfer of the FIR-related
investigations to CBI and posted the case for
urgent hearing on April 28, 2006.

After lengthy arguments made by Shri Prakashbhai
Thakker, senior counsel for the petitioners, the
Court passed the order. Meanwhile, no action can
be taken by the Gujarat Police on the
investigation. The Citizens for Justice and Peace
[CJP] had moved the urgent criminal application
following the issuance of non-bailable warrants
against victim survivors who had lost their near
and dear ones and Shri rais Khan, the CJP's
coordinator on April 18.

A malafide FIR was registered against victim
survivors in the early morning of January 1, 2006
after  the Gujarat High Court had already passed
an order transferring investigations to the CBI.
The Godhra Sessions Court had granted
anticipatory bail to the survivors and Shri
Pathan on January 10, 2006 observing that the FIR
was obviously a counterblast meant to subvert the
Gujarat HC order. Interestingly, the sections
invoked in the FIR against survivors and Shri
Pathan are normally those that require government
sanction! The simple act of retrieving dead
remains of their loved ones has been interpreted
as an act of 'inflaming religious sentiments by
the Lunawada police.' Religious sentiments of
whom?

The Gujarat police at Lunawada pressurized by the
top echelons of the police administration and
Government continued to harass victims and human
rights activists to cover up the issue of illegal
burial  in mass graves, of those killed in the
Gujarat Carnage of  2002.  They attempted to get
the anticipatory bail order cancelled in the
Gujarat HC, which was also turned down on April
5, 2006. On April 5, 2006 the Gujarat High Court
passed a speaking order rejecting the Gujarat
State's appeal to cancel anticipatory bail
granted by the Sessions Court at Godhra.  Though
one of the conditions of the High Court order
formally allowed the police to apply for remand
(a practice in all cases),  the victims and Shri
Khan remained present at the Lunawada court while
arguments took place on April 17, 2006,   the
single-handed vindictiveness of the Gujarat
police can be seen, in that, they obtained
non-bailable warrants by misleading the court
despite the fact that there were no orders asking
that these persons  remain present in court on
April 18, 2006.  Despite this order of the High
Court to convert bail into regular bail, the
Gujarat police is not only using intimidatory
tactics to browbeat victims of a massacre and
representatives of organisations supporting the
struggle for justice, but in fact attempting to
influence the investigation itself.   In this
entire matter, the Gujarat police is the chief
culpable party being responsible for the
undignified and hasty burials of victims of a
mass crime. Today, despite the fact that the
matter has been seized of  in the Gujarat High
Court, the Gujarat police functions with impunity
and is trying to subvert the investigation to
escape liability for the illegal and unauthorised
burial of bodies of victims of a mass crime.

The non-bailable arrest warrants have been issued
against Mehboob Rasul Chauhan, Habib Rasul
Saiyed, Sikander Abbas Shaikh, Kutubsha  Ayubsha
Diwan and Gulam Ghani Kharadi who are victim
survivors of the ghastly massacre that took place
in March 2002 and have lost family members in the
carnage.  The police that   is accused in the
crime of illegally mass burying bodies is today,
under pressure from the very top harassing victim
and human rights defenders.

Vijay Tendulkar, President
Teesta Setalvad, Secretary

o o o

The Hindu
April 21, 2006

NOTICE TO GUJARAT GOVERNMENT IN PANDARWADA CASE

Manas Dasgupta

http://www.hindu.com/2006/04/22/stories/2006042216951300.htm

____

[5]  RALLY TO THE VALLEY

NARMADA BACHAO ANDOLAN
· C/o B-13 Shivam Flats, Ellora Park, Vadodara - 390023, Gujarat
     Telefax: 0265-2282232, baroda at narmada.org
· 62, M.G Marg, Badwani, Madhya Pradesh 451551. Telefax: 07290-222464
· Maitri Niwas, Tembewadi, Dhadgaon, Dist. Nandurbar, Maharashtra. Ph:
02595-220620

21 April,2006.

POL-KHOL YATRA IN THE NARMADA VALLEY:

25 to 27 April: From Indore to 'tribal and farmers' villages in Narmada Valley.

After the 30 days sit-in and fast by the Narmada
Bachao Andolan activists in the capital, a new
chapter has been opened in respect of Sardar
Sarovar Dam. The movement has raised the issue of
the displacement and the environmental damage due
to the dam. For the last 20 years, it has
questioned all the illegal decisions by the
Government through a strong mass movement. It has
brought to light, the true story of the Narmada
Valley. The decision to increase the height of
the dam from 110.64 meters to 122 meters has
proved to benthe death sentence for the tribals,
the farmers and people residing in the valley.
This called for a strong protest which was joined
by allnfrom various people's movements all over
the country, students, teachers, the sensitive
among the artist community to the lay person
on the street, they who have offered their help,
participation and backing. This makes it clear
that the darker side of development has come to
the light in front of right thinking, sensitive
and selfless elements of the community. That is
why they are now bent upon not only saving the
Narmada Valley but also question the
anti-democratic, non-scientific process going on
in the country in the name of
development and based on grossly misleading
facts. People are now reacting strongly to the
situation. It is now necessary to take some solid
steps. The Narmada struggle is a symbol of the
same reaction. Its a question of debate as to
what is the truth and what is only a mirage.

This can be asked in respect of all the issues in
connection with Sardar Sarovar. During the
protest in Delhi, various reports by thenstate as
well as Central Governments, figures and
affidavits, the experiences of the displaced and
the agitators have come to the lightnin front of
the country as well as the whole world. All the
three Governments concerned have to submit their
affidavits regarding
applications submitted by 48 displaced families,
to the Supreme Court within a week's time. The
reactions of the displaced on the affidavits will
be a heard in the court on the first of May. The
court has already said that the Prime Minister is
free to take any decision or intervene in the
matter wherever he feels necessary. At the same
time, the court has made it clear that if the
rehabilitation of all the oustees upto the 122
meters is not done in letter and spirit of the
Narmada Tribunal award, then the work of the dam
can be stopped.

The Narmada Movement has now declared a Pol-Khol
Abhiyan (reveal the truth campaign). We will go
on bringing to the fore, each and every aspect of
the Sardar Sarovar story. The social as well as
environmental losses, compensation as also the
real side of the exaggerated and beautifully
painted picture about the profits also has to be
revealed. Those of our brothers and sisters who
have been termed as outsiders while they are
actually displaced in thousands have to be met in
person. It has become necessary to reveal the
real faces of all those who make baseless
accusations on us of accepting foreign funds. We
have to move in this direction on different
fronts taking with us, the like-minded. One of
the main programs in this direction will be the
Pol-Khol Yatra: 25 to 27th April.

You are cordially invited for this Yatra. All the
friends, co-workers, youth, students, members of
various people's movements, those displaced due
to various projects, labourers, tribals, dalits,
sensitive citizens, artists, journalists and
media persons are welcome. We invite you to the
valley. Verify the truth, find out and see for
yourselves, the Government corruption and the
atrocities, contempt of court as also the game in
the name of democracy.  You may reach Indore in
the morning of 25th April. Please let us know the
route and the time of your arrival. There will be
a meeting at Indore between 10 a.m. and 12 noon
and the 'Yatra' will proceed to the valley
straight from there. During the three days, the
Yatra will visit villages, settlements and see
first hand, the Government's working
style and also listen to the profit and loss story.

There will be answers to each and every question
raised on each aspect of the Narmada Movement,
its working, its resources. Your presence is
necessary for raising the issue in front of the
Government. Come and see the region which is
either already submerged or about to be
submerged; the generations old culture and the
picturesque surroundings.

You may return on 27th night or 28th morning from
Baroda, Indore or Khandwa. Your participation is
utmost necessary now after your important
participation and contribution on this occasion.
There will be welcome in villages, overnight stay
in the farmers' houses, visits to tribal villages
on the banks of the river, tribal dances and
travel through the boats in the river followed by
a long march in Badwani and a torch rally. On one
side are those administrators who are bent upon
destruction in the valley and going ahead with
the dam while on the other side are the lively
villages and communities and the rich valley.
This picture is incomplete without your presence.

Your strong intervention is necessary this time
to stop the destruction without resettlement.
Please come and bring others along.

Waiting for you,

Mohanbhai Patidar, Swapna Kanera, Kamala Yadav, Medha Patkar, Ashish
Mandloi, Omprakash Yadav, Hirdaram Bharud, Chandubhai, Kailash Awasthi

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at: bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/