SACW | 28 Nov. 2005

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Nov 27 18:58:31 CST 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire | 28 Nov, 2005 | Dispatch No. 2180

[1] Bangladesh: Eureka,...the real culprit has been found! (Mahfuz Anam)
[2] Pakistan-India: A See-Through Wall (Mukul Dube)
[3] US: Hindutva move to distort California School Textbooks on India &
Hinduism
[4] India: Communal Violence and Minority-Majority Relations(Asghar Ali
Engineer)
[5] India: On Culture-policing in Tamil Nadu
     (i) The Woman Question (Rajashri Dasgupta)
    (ii) Smell The Kaapi (S. Anand)
    (iii) Chennai Churning (Vrinda Gopinath)
    (iv) A freedom at stake ... (Suresh Nambath)
     (v) Women speak out (Kalpana Sharma)
[6] Sri Lanka: Documentary Film on Rajani Thiranagama on Canadian TV
[7] India: Godhra to Goa: Film provokes, angers (Shubra Gupta)
[8] India: RSS threat to Goa culture festival
___

[1]

The Daily Star
November 27, 2005

EUREKA, . . . THE REAL CULPRIT HAS BEEN FOUND!
Nizami identifies the media as the cause for militants' rise
by Mahfuz Anam

At last the mystery of the sudden, dramatic and vicious rise of
religious extremism has been 'revealed', and that also by no less a
person than the Ameer of Jamaat himself. Guess who the real culprit is
-- but, of course the media. And who, in the media, is the vilest of
them all? You guessed it right again. It is The Daily Star.

Mr. Matiur Rahman Nizami on Friday 'revealed' over the ATN Bangla TV
news channel to the nation that the media, especially The Daily Star (he
singled us out), are principally responsible for -- no, not for damaging
the country's image, which we have been doing forever -- but for a far
more heinous crime -- helping the Islamic militants rise. What needs to
be done now, he implied, is to close down these newspapers and, like
magic, all militancy will disappear. Like the proverbial ostrich, all we
need to do is bury our heads in the sand and all our ills will vanish.
(Just a reminder for our readers. A few weeks back, our venerable
foreign minister suggested that the media were responsible for our image
as the 'most corrupt country', because we report on corruption. If there
were no reports, there would have been no image of corruption, and we
would have lived happily ever after).

The Jamaat Ameer's argument is that by giving prominent news coverage we
encourage more people to join the ranks of militants. According to him,
if the militancy stories were ignored or given only scant coverage then
the religious extremism would not have risen.

Let us examine the insidious and totally false nature of this argument.
By every intelligence agency account and on the basis of confessional
statements of those arrested after the recent bomb blasts, the
terrorists have been preparing over the last several years for the
recent bombings. The role of Afghan Mujahideen returnees, the extremism
funding from the Middle East and the secret training at numerous
madrasas in several districts have been going on over the past several
years, during which the media coverage was abysmally low, almost
non-existent. In fact, so clever were the militants in hiding their
terrorist activities and so deep they penetrated the high and the mighty
that the government and the ruling alliance went on a vigorous denial
when the media first started revealing the militants' activities. It was
only after the recent countrywide bombings that the government has taken
our recent vigorous reportage somewhat seriously.

Mr. Nizami has very good reasons to castigate the media for doing their
job well. How else would it have been revealed that many of the arrested
extremists have either confessed to being Jamaat members in the past or
being guided by those who hold leadership positions in that party or its
front organisations, especially Shibir, its student wing. The so-called
Bangla Bhai himself, in an interview published in this paper in May
2004, claimed, "I was a Shibir member until 1995." Another wanted
militant, Montezar, was the Jamaat chief of Bariatala union of Joypurhat
district when the police raided his house following a serious armed
encounter. Jamaat denied any link with him, but the police found out
from his diary that he had applied to be made a Rokon, a coveted post in
Jamaat. Sohel of Sunamgang Govt College, arrested in August 2003, was a
member of Shibir. His brother Selim told the press, "Shibir turned my
brother into an ultra-religious man and forced him to work for the JMB."
In November 2004 three militants were arrested with 124 electronic bomb
detonators from a Shantahar-bound train. All the three confessed to
being Shibir workers. In February 2004 militant Azizul was arrested in
Devigang upazila of Panchagarh district, who told the police that he had
formerly belonged to Shibir and was now working for the JMB. In February
2005 two JMB members, Samiul Al Siju and Fazlul Huq, arrested in
Gangachara upazilla of Rangpur district were listed as 'Jamaat
activists' in the police probe report. In July 2005, 11 people were
arrested at Puthiapara of Paba upazilla in Rajshahi district. Their team
leader, Enamul, confessed to having been a Shibir member only a year
ago. Two of them, Ibrahim Hossain and Golam Mustafa, students of the
Rajshahi University, told the police they belonged to Shibir. These are
just a few of a large number of similar cases.

It may be noted here that whenever any militant linked with Jamaat has
been arrested, the party either denied any relation with the arrestee or
said he was a former member. Many political analysts believe such
statements are but a part of Jamaat's tactics.

Nizami's own response, in the aforementioned ATN interview, to the
question whether he acknowledged the existence of Bangla Bhai or not is
quite revealing. He said, "I don't have any comments on whether he
exists or not. If a man really exists he won't disappear by my saying he
doesn't exist." Why such an evasive answer to a very simple question?
Can this be the answer of a cabinet minister of a government in genuine
search of Bangla Bhai? He seemed almost in pain to acknowledge that such
a man exists. He would have preferred the media to have ignored him and
allowed him to carry out his mission.

That is where we have fallen foul of the Jamaat's Ameer. His party's
desire to keep its militant connections under wrap has been put to
naught by the brave members of the media. The bogey of media coverage
contributing to the rise of the militants is nothing but a devious
attempt to stop the media from uncovering the dangerous activities the
militants have now embarked on.

In fact, the true fault of the media is that we have not done enough to
expose the leaders, the groups and the parties who have taken advantage
of our democracy, our tolerance and our forgiving attitude towards the
war criminals of 1971 to destroy the Bangladesh created through a
hard-fought Liberation War. As Jamaat professed to join our democratic
polity, we gave them a chance and literally forgot how they had
butchered our valiant freedom fighters, how they helped the Pakistan
army to destroy our people, our land and our future by conducting
genocide. Nothing revealed their viciousness more than the cold-blooded
and merciless killing of our intellectuals just three days before their
defeat.

The media will continue to do everything to defend democracy, freedom,
rule of law and our Constitution. We will fight extremism and terrorism,
notwithstanding Mr. Nizami's umbrage.

___

[2]

[To appear in 'Mainstream' weekly.]

A SEE-THROUGH WALL

by Mukul Dube

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to
repeat it," George Santayana famously said. That is
certainly true of those obnoxiously inhuman features of
the past of humanity which in recent times we have been
seeing repeated, in different parts of the world and in
forms more monstrous than were known before. There have,
however, also been many good things in our past. Should
we not at least remember them? I am led to think that that
would now be a waste of time, for they are either
vanishing rapidly or else are vanished.

It was once axiomatic that a person would go to the aid
of another who was in trouble. This happened among kin, of
course, and among friends and in neighbourhoods: but
people would rush also to help complete strangers. Over
forty years ago, as some of us boys returned to school
late at night from a cinema theatre, the master with us
made us pick up and carry to hospital a man who was
lying, bleeding, in the middle of the road. I have seen
neighbours gather around households in distress, putting
vehicles, kitchens and so on at their disposal. On
occasion, people who did not know me went out of their
way to help me.

In the 1950s, countless stories were told of humanity
shown during recent battles and during Partition. There
were heart-warming instances of humanity later, during
communal riots. All this pointed us in one direction:
"Help the injured man. He is you and you are he."
It did not matter if the man came from the other end of
the country, if he subscribed to another religion, if he
earned in a month what you spent in a day.

Perhaps the spirit was not instilled in all, perhaps the
pressures of living have become too great. Whatever the
reason, almost none of that automatic, natural urge to
help is seen any longer. Kin are often considered
bothersome, so-called friendships are for good times
alone, neighbours do not even know one another, and
strangers might just as well be rusted tins of motor oil.

Kashmir was shaken as never before. There was much death
and destruction on the Indian side and a great deal more
on the other. A 12-year-old who can read a contour map
will tell you that the shortest route by which relief
materials can be moved is through the Valley.
"Intelligence" agencies on both sides, however,
cannot countenance this. Supplies for western Kashmir, or
POK [Pakistan Administered Kashmir], must therefore be taken by a long
road which goes over high mountains into another valley. Small children
have been dying because they sleep in the open and no one
knows when the blankets they need will arrive.

A village on the border was split in two because the
upheaval made a stream change course and run through it.
The stream marks the border, and two portions of one
village are now in different countries. Thus it was that
people on one side looked on as their children, spouses,
yards away, in graves on the other side of an invisible
wall so strong that no cataclysm can pull it down or open
a passage through it.

We can see through the wall but we cannot see through it.

___

[3] HINDUTVA ATTEMPT TO DISTORT CALIFORNIA SCHOOL TEXTBOOKS ON INDIA &
HINDUISM