SACW | 7-8 August 2005 [ Borders / Aliens / Foreigners ]

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Aug 7 20:28:10 CDT 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire  | 7-8 August,  2005

Following from http://www.sacw.net/borders/
[ Borders / Aliens / Foreigners ]

[i] India - Bangladesh: Unsplendid Isolation  - The fence on the Zero
Line  (Jaideep Mazumdar)
[ii]  IMDT Act and Immigration in North-Eastern India (Walter Fernandes)
[iii]  An Unconscionable Judgement - Indian Supreme Court's recent
judgement on the IMDT Act  (Prashant Bhushan)

______

(i)

Outlook Magazine

BETWEEN BORDERS
Unsplendid Isolation
500 villages, 1.08 lakh people fall in a no man's land because Dhaka
disallows India a fence on the Zero Line
Jaideep Mazumdar

"Welcome to Bangladesh! Grameen Phone wishes you a pleasant stay."
This SMS flashes on your cellphone not on landing at Dhaka.
It sneaks in at Khirkidanga village, two hours by road from Siliguri.
Technically speaking, the village is in West Bengal, India. But since
1999, for all practical purposes, it has been cut off from the rest
of the country. This is because this village of 19 families lies in
the corridor between the Zero Line (actual Indo-Bangladesh border)
and the fencing on the Indian side. It is in no man's land.

Life Of Loneliness

The border fencing is 150 metres inside Indian territory since a pact
with Bangladesh prohibits any fencing closer than that. India now
wants to construct the fence along the Zero Line to save villages
like Khirkidanga from becoming isolated. But it can't do so due to
objections from Dhaka. Says Border Security Force (BSF) Inspector
General, North Bengal Frontier, S.
R. Tewari, "The Joint Indo-Bangladesh Guidelines for Border
Authorities that was signed in 1975 prohibits construction of any
structure that has defence potential within 150 metres from the Zero
Line. Bangladesh has been saying that the border fence has defence
potential.
Our stand is that the fence is only to stop smuggling and
infiltration and cannot be termed as a structure that has defence
potential. But Bangladesh doesn't agree."
And Khirkidanga is not the only village caught in this corridor of
isolation. The barbed wire fence along the entire stretch of the
international border has amputated 500 villages and 1.08 lakh people
in West Bengal from the country not only physically but also
psychologically. Raquibul Haque's plight exemplifies the predicament
of nearly one lakh inhabitants of these villages. By rural Indian
standards, this Khirkidanga resident is a very eligible bachelor: the
25-year-old undergraduate belongs to a family that owns 45 bighas of
land that provides them enough to lead a comfortable life. But
Raquibul's parents haven't been able to find a bride for him. The
reason: no family in the "mainland" wants to give a girl in marriage
to someone on the "other side" of the fence. "We are called
Bangladeshis even by our relatives. There are many unmarried boys and
girls like my son in Khirkidanga and the surrounding villages," rues
Raquibul's father Shafiqul.

For people like these trapped between the border and the fence, it is
like living in a prison. Outlook visited six of these
villages-Khirkidanga, Antupara, Sipahipara, Bangalpara, Khudipara and
Hindupara-to see for itself the plight of its people. The 700-odd
residents of these villages can cross over to the mainland (or India,
as they say now) through a gate that's manned round-the-clock by the
BSF. The gates are opened three times a day: 6 am to 7 am, 10 am to
11 am and 4 pm to 5 pm. "Once the gates are shut, we are cut off from
India and are at the mercy of Bangladesh. Very rarely does the BSF
patrol our villages. We feel totally alienated. We are like stateless
people without any identity," points out a despondent Dharma Deb Roy,
a Hindupara denizen.
Not just that, the daily routine of entering their names in a
register, subjecting themselves to frisking, laying out whatever they
are carrying for inspection and having to account for everything they
carry across the fence is something the villagers find humiliating
and annoying. Some even see it as harassment. "We are citizens of
India and nowhere else will you find people having to account for
their movements or being subjected to inspection and strict vigil
like us. Is it our fault that our villages are located here? Even if
we purchase an extra kilo of rice or sugar for a special occasion, we
have to provide an explanation. All of us have been detained for long
hours at the gate, interrogated and our credentials and identity
verified.

  Why should we face all this? We haven't committed any crime," says
Shahamat Ali, a resident of Antupara that lies next to Khirkidanga.
To him and others, the BSF seems suspicious of them and even comes
into their houses to inspect their belongings. If any villager is
seen to even remotely defy a BSF jawan, he is beaten up. "My
12-year-old son, who studies in Class 7, was beaten black and blue by
a BSF jawan a few days ago since he didn't dismount from the cycle
while crossing the gate on his way to school," says a villager.
Many of the villages are emptying out. Hindupara once was home to 30
families, but only seven live there now. Those who could find buyers
have sold their houses and lands, and left. The exodus will continue.
Says Samir Roy of Hindupara, "I'm also saving money and plan to
leave. It has become impossible to live here ever since the fence
came up a few years ago. Our relatives have to provide an explanation
to the BSF when they come to visit us. It's all very insulting. Life
has become hellish."
West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharya has been urging the
Centre to make Bangladesh see reason. "I've taken up this issue with
the prime minister, the external affairs minister and the home
minister a number of times. Negotiations are on with Bangladesh. The
fence is necessary, but it is also cutting off villages and families.
The only way out is to construct the fence along the Zero Line. Let's
see if Bangladesh agrees," says Buddhadeb.

Many, like state agriculture minister Kamal Guha, feel that if
Bangladesh doesn't accept India's position, it should go ahead and
construct the fence along the Zero Line anyway. Says Guha, "Lakhs of
people who stay on either side of the fence have to cross it every
day through gates manned by the BSF. The BSF opens these gates three
times a day and this creates a lot of problems. Free movement is
restricted. Aren't these people Indians, and doesn't our Constitution
guarantee freedom of movement? Why should these poor and innocent
people have to face harassment and even physical abuse at the hands
of the BSF?"
The BSF denies the harassment charge. According to IG Tewari, his men
do maintain a record of the people who cross the gate. He also admits
that the villagers are frisked and any parcel or bag they carry is
searched. But this, he maintains, is not harassment. "Our mandate is
to check infiltration and smuggling. If we don't maintain vigil at
the gates along the fence, the very purpose of constructing it would
be defeated," he says.
But it's not as harmless as the BSF IG makes it out to be. Ask
Maqbool Islam of Bangalpara. He was detained at the gate for three
hours a few weeks ago by BSF jawans and was released only after the
village elders reached the spot and certified that he was a resident.
Complains Islam: "We have to seek permission from the BSF when we
sell our produce in the markets on the other side (of the fence). On
our way back from the markets, we have to account for everything we
have bought, be it cattle, poultry, salt or soap." Islam believes the
BSF views the villagers with suspicion and takes them to be smugglers.
The BSF admits to this scrutiny, but has its own perspective on the
situation. Its officers point out that they have to ensure that
people who cross the gates to come over to this side are Indians. It
is not possible, they say, for a jawan to recognise the residents of
the villages by face. "We never beat up anyone. We just question them
if we're suspicious of their movements. We also have to check
smuggling, and in order to do that, we have to maintain a record of
everything that a person is carrying while crossing the gate," says
B.S. Negi, commander of the A company of the BSF's 33 Battalion. He
alleges that most of the villagers are involved in small-scale
smuggling; essentials like sugar, grain and cooking oil fetch a
premium in Bangladesh. So, if a villager takes extra rations, the BSF
has reason to get suspicious.
On its part, the BSF has been requesting the state government to
issue identity cards to the residents of the border villages. Senior
officers point out that this will make things easier both for the BSF
as well as the villagers. The state government says that the process
of issuing ID cards has begun. But government action is invariably
time-consuming. The BSF would also like the villages on the other
side of the fence to be relocated. But land is not always available
at close proximity. The only solution, then, is to construct the
fence along the Zero Line.
Bangladesh is not likely to agree to that. The fate of lakhs of
Indian villagers, then, lies solely in Dhaka's hands. Calcutta or New
Delhi can do very little but pressure the Bangladeshi government. So
far, they haven't been successful.

o o o o

(ii)

The Economic and Political Weekly
July 23, 2005

IMDT ACT AND IMMIGRATION IN NORTH-EASTERN INDIA

The Supreme Court's verdict on the Illegal Migrants (Determination by
Tribunals) Act, 1983 as unconstitutional has closed one chapter of a
long saga, but it will not bring to an end the issue of 'illegal
immigrants'. The court judgment has actually polarised Assam as much
as the act had done for two decades.
by Walter Fernandes

The Supreme Court judgment (July 12, 2005) on the public interest
litigation filed by a student leader-turned-AGP MP, Sarbananda
Sonowal, struck down the Illegal Migrants (Determination by
Tribunals) Act, 1983 (IMDT Act) as unconstitutional. That closed the
chapter of a long saga, but did not bring it to an end. The reaction
to the verdict was on predictable lines. There was gloom in the
Congress circles and joy in the BJP, which claimed that it always
wanted to repeal the act. The All Assam Students' Union (AASU)
rejoiced at the verdict, but some of its leaders cautioned against
the possible victimisation of the minorities. The Muslims feared
reprisals and two of their bodies called for a bandh against it. Thus
the verdict polarised Assam as much as the act had done for two
decades. It may continue till the assembly elections due next year.

Background of the Act

The IMDT act was enacted in 1983 in response to the Assam movement of
1979-85 that began when the electoral rolls were being revised. Amid
allegations that a large number of Bangladeshi Muslim immigrants were
being included in the rolls, the Election Commission asked the Assam
government to identify constituencies with a big rise in the number
of voters, but the state allegedly dragged its feet on the issue.
Some state that the electorate had grown by 10.2 per cent between
1970 and 1971, 10.42 per cent between 1971 and 1977 and by a further
10.3 per cent during the following year [Bhattacharya 2001: 90].

The main demand of the Assam movement was detection and expulsion of
foreigners in the state. Its focus was on the Bangladeshis though
according to some estimates they were only around 40 per cent of the
immigrants, the rest being from the Hindi-speaking region or of
Nepali origin. It began as a secular movement of all the Assamese,
but always ran the risk of turning communal because of the religious
slant given to it since most Bangladeshi immigrants were Muslims. The
Nellie massacre of more than 300 Bangladeshis in 1983 did give it a
communal angle. A VHP leader even said that Bangladeshi infiltration
was a Pakistani conspiracy to turn Assam into a Muslim state and that
they "are supporting all kinds of terrorist activity" (Staff
Reporter, Assam Tribune, December 23, 2001). However, now most of the
AASU leaders have appealed to the people not to communalise this
issue (The Assam Tribune, July 15, 2005) and even told the BJP
recently that they would not tolerate such a communal slant.

The act applies only to Assam. The rest of India has the Foreigners'
Act 1946 which puts the onus on the accused to prove his/her Indian
nationality. The IMDT defines foreigners as those who settled down in
Assam after March 25, 1971 and puts the onus on the one who denounces
a person of proving that he/she is a foreigner. Because of this
stipulation many consider the latter ineffective [Bhattacharyya 2001:
154-55]. The experience of the past 22 years has proved them right.
Five tribunals set up under this act in the districts bordering
Bangladesh from January 1983 registered 423,021 cases, dealt with
65,000 cases and have disposed of 23,420 cases (Editorial, The
Sentinel, December 16, 2004) and have till January 2005 declared
12,424 persons illegal migrants. Only 1,538 of them have been
deported [Staff Reporter, The Sentinel, July 13, 2005].

The political parties claim credit for the judgment that some AASU
leaders called a "success of the indigenous people of the north-east"
(The Sentinel, July 13, 2005) but in practice, the change of
governments has made no difference to the issue. For example, the
Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) that was born out of the Assam movement, has
been in power twice during the past 20 years. During its first term,
1987-90, 2,477 illegal migrants were identified and 782 of them were
deported. And in the second term, 1996-2000, 902 persons were
identified and 179 deported [Staff Reporter, The Sentinel, July 13,
2005]. Little wonder then that the chairman of the north-eastern
students' organisation "lambasted" the ruling Congress "as well as
the opposition AGP and BJP for the failure to protect the rights of
the indigenous people" (The Sentinel, July 13, 2005).

An immediate effect of the judgment is that it has deprived the state
parties of a major issue on which they have fought the elections for
two decades. The Congress has been accused of using the Bangladeshi
immigrants as a vote bank, while the AGP and BJP have allegedly used
it as an emotional issue but have not repealed the act and have not
taken its implementation seriously [Dutta-Choudhury 2005]. The small
number of immigrants expelled during the AGP regime is one of its
examples. The failure of the BJP to get this central act repealed
during its years in power at the centre is another case of not going
beyond promises.

Immigration and the Communal Issue

Because of the communal bias given to it, many fear discrimination
against the Muslims. In fact, chief minister Tarun Gogoi claims that
this fear was the main reason for enacting the IMDT. One of the
clauses of the Assam Accord 1985 was that the National Register of
Citizens (NRC) 1951 would be updated to include all the Assam
inhabitants and their descendants on or before March 25, 1971, but no
government has done so until now. Identity cards were promised but
have been issued in only one circle in Karimganj district. AASU has
been demanding the issue of the ID cards after completing the NRC
(Editorial, The Sentinel, March 23, 2005). The Muslims fear
harassment in the absence of NRC and ID cards and the communal
atmosphere some parties create. Those born and brought up in
India may not be able to prove their nationality in the absence of
birth and death registration. According to some news items many of
the alleged Bangladeshis deported from Mumbai during the Shiv Sena
regime in Maharashtra were Hindi-speaking Biharis and who spoke no
Bengali. They fear that the same will happen in Assam also.

The communal bias is also a reason for confusion on their numbers.
Some speak of 12 lakh Bangladeshis in Assam [Bhuyan 2002]. According
to the census, the proportion of Muslims in Assam rose from 24.03 per
cent in 1971 [Saikia 1976: 97] to 30.02 per cent in 2001. The number
of Muslim majority districts in Assam has risen from four in 1991 to
six in 2001 [taken from Census CDs, 2001]. The difference between
24.03 per cent and 30.92 per cent gives an additional Muslim
population of 18 lakhs in Assam's 2001 total of 266 million. Not all
of them are immigrants since the Muslim population growth rate is
relatively high because of low female literacy. That gives us around
15 lakh Bangladeshis in Assam where the total number of immigrants is
estimated to be 30 to 40 lakh - about 40 per cent of them are
Bangladeshis and the rest are from the Hindi speaking region or
Nepali. The census figures also counter the stand of those who deny
the very existence of Bangladeshis in the region and of those who put
their number at more than 40 lakh [Bhattacharyya 2001: 120-121].

The numbers game is an example of changing figures to suit ideology.
L K Advani stated in the Lok Sabha in 2003 that India had 1.5 crore
Bangladeshi immigrants, 50 lakh of them in Assam and 57 lakh in West
Bengal. In December 2004 the UPA minister of state for home affairs
Jaiswal repeated this figure in the Lok Sabha, but a few days later
Manik Rao, the other minister of state said in the Rajya Sabha that
the figure was taken from the previous government and that Assam had
only 80,886 Bangladeshis ('Trouble with Numbers', Editorial, The
Sentinel, December 18, 2004). This figure was promptly rejected by
the opposition. The report in The Times of India, July 13, 2005 on
the repeal of the IMDT act began with "Uncertainty haunts the 1.5
crore illegal migrants from Bangladesh" thus giving an impression
that all of them came under the repealed act which applies only to
Assam.

Facts about Immigration

Most ignore the crucial fact of a majority of the immigrants in the
region being Hindus from the Gangetic plains. When mentioned it is
given a communal colour. For example, during the Assamese-Bihari
conflict of November 2003 a VHP leader is reported to have said that
it was an ISI conspiracy to drive away Hindus and turn Assam into a
Muslim majority state. However, the census shows that the immigrants
of Bangladeshi origin as well as those from the Hindi heartland live
in all the north-eastern states. For example, in 1981 5.68 per cent
of the Arunachal population was of foreign origin (including the
Chakma) and 14.13 per cent were immigrants from other Indian states
outside the north-east. In Assam their proportion was 6.68 per cent
and 3.61 per cent, in Meghalaya 3.3 per cent and 5.93 per cent and in
Nagaland 1.6 per cent and 8.92 per cent, respectively. Only in
Tripura the immigrants of foreign (mostly Hindu Bangladeshi) were
22.67 per cent of the population and those from the rest of India
were 1.66 per cent [D'Souza 1999: 7].

We give the 1981 figures though no census was conducted in Assam
because of the emotions generated by the Assam movement. The figures
were extrapolated from the 1991 census. The census figures show that
immigration continued after 1981. Also the sex ratio of some states
confirms it. For example, the studies show that the sex ratio of the
indigenous population of Arunachal Pradesh is higher than the
national average, but it is much lower when these states are taken as
whole. For example, in our 2001 study the sex ratio was 955 among the
Angami of Nagaland and 1,095 among the Aka of Arunachal Pradesh
[Fernandes and Barbora 2002a: 76-78]. However, in 1991 it was 890 in
Nagaland as a whole and 861 in Arunachal Pradesh and rose marginally
in 2001 to 909 and 901, respectively [2001 census]. The reason for
their low overall sex ratio is single male migration. The slight rise
in 2001 is probably because of the lower influx in the 1990s.

Also the above average decennial population growth in these states
confirms immigration. For example, the Nagaland population rose by
39.88 per cent in the 1960s, 50.05 per cent in the 1970s, 56.08 per
cent in the 1980s [D'Souza 1999: 16] and 40.08 per cent in 1991-2001
[2001 Census CDs], obviously because of immigration, not natural
growth. Also data on religion confirm it. For example, the tribal
population of Arunachal Pradesh declined from 90 per cent in 1951 to
64 per cent in 2001. They belong mainly to the Dony Polo or tribal
religion, but 37.64 per cent of the population was Hindu in 1991. It
more or less coincides with the non-tribal proportion which is 36 per
cent. As stated above, the 2001 Census shows a substantial rise in
the proportion of Muslim majority districts in Assam. Because of
Hindu Bangladeshis entering Tripura, its tribal proportion has
declined from 58 per cent in 1951 [Sen 1993: 22] to 30 per cent in
2001 [Census 2001 CDs].

Immigration as an Economic Issue

Though it is given a communal bias, immigration as well as the Assam
movement are primarily economic issues. In the 1970s persons from
outside the region controlling its economy neglected productive
investment in Assam. Consequently, unemployment was high. For
example, the refinery for oil produced in Assam was shifted to
Barauni in Bihar. Though it grows jute, Assam does not have a jute
mill. Besides, most industrial jobs went to outsiders. For example,
in the 1960s only 27 per cent of the employees in the industries in
Assam were locals [Chattopadhyay 1990: 101]. To it should be added
the identity search of the Assamese after Nagaland and Meghalaya were
formed by separating some of its districts. The Mizo struggle was
continuing in the 1970s. These states were formed because the tribes
inhabiting the districts felt that the Assamese majority was
submerging their identity. The Assamese found themselves on the
defensive both against the tribes and the outsiders controlling their
economy.

The fear of the immigrants has to be seen within this overall context
of economic neglect, threat to their identity and fear of being
outnumbered by outsiders. To it should be added the fear of losing
land to the immigrants, not all of them Bangladeshi. Most outsiders
killed in the Karbi Anglong district of Assam are Biharis. A recent
study showed that many Biharis have 'pattas' at Lanka in Nagaon
district, but their land is in the Karbi Anglong district which comes
under the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution that bans tribal land
alienation to non-tribals [Fernandes and Barbora 2002b: 64-65].

This fear continues even today as one can see from a bill in the
state assembly banning land ownership in Assam by persons from
outside the state introduced on March 15 by the independent MLAs. It
was rejected (The Assam Tribune, March 9, 2005). There is also the
fear of losing jobs. There are also indications that before the Assam
movement most Bangladeshis were brought into the state by big
landlords who wanted cheap labour. Some of them were given land as
tenants but lost it because of the Land Reforms Act [Kar 1980].

A reason why the north-east continued to welcome immigrants is its
more than a millennium-long history of immigration of different
nomadic tribes from south-east, south and inner Asia. Each tribe that
entered the region created its own history and myths of origin,
developed an identity and settled down in the region as its
inhabitants, not as colonisers ruling the region on behalf of another
country as the British rulers did. For example, the Meitei of Manipur
claim their origin from the Vedic times, so do some groups of Assam
[Barua 1985: 8-10]. The Ahom who ruled most parts of Assam before the
British army defeated them came from the Shan region and assimilated
the local culture. Besides, in pre-colonial times, migration rarely
resulted in conflicts for resources because land was abundant [Bose
1989: 38-39].

The pattern of migration changed with the British colonialists
acquiring de jure control over the north-east with the Anglo-Burmese
Yandabu Treaty of 1826. Colonialism changed the history of the region
and also established some commonality in its economy by changing it
to suit the needs of the British industrial revolution. In the
north-east an emphasis was placed on extractive enterprises like tea
and oil for which much land was acquired, resulting in the
displacement and emigration of large numbers. That is the basis of
the beginning of the fear of the immigrants and of the ethnic
conflicts that dominate the north-east even today [Acharya 1990:
75-78].

Immigration came to be linked to the tea industry which was built on
indentured labour from Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and other regions where
the Permanent Settlement 1793 and the zamindari system had displaced
people on a large scale [Guha 1977: 17-18]. Unlike the nomadic tribes
that settled down in the north-east as its inhabitants, the tea
garden management kept their workers isolated from the local people
within a regimented work structure. As a result, they were unable to
integrate themselves with their surroundings and the local
communities continue to treat them as outsiders [Fernandes, Barbora
and Bharali 2003: 5-6].

In the 1920s began the immigration into western Assam from East
Bengal (present-day Bangladesh) as a deliberate British policy to
settle people in what they called wastelands that the Boro tribe
considered its livelihood [Bose 1989: 62-64]. Similarly, when there
was an excess labour, some tea garden managers encouraged them to cut
the forests in the neighbourhood, create 'bastis' and settle down in
what they called unoccupied land that the communities like the Boro
considered their livelihood [Kar 1999: 27-28]. The type of migrants
changed again with Partition which forced a large number of Hindus to
flee erstwhile East Pakistan and come to the north-east and many
Muslims from the region to go to East Pakistan [Nag 2002: 32-25].

Changes after 1947

The post-1947 influx from the Hindi-speaking region and Bangladesh
introduced three changes in the type of immigrants. Firstly, prior to
1947 most of them were Muslims. Today most of those coming to Tripura
from Bangladesh and other states from the Hindi heartland are Hindus.
Secondly, until 1947 only Assam and Tripura attracted immigrants from
outside the north-east. Today most states in the region experience
such inflows. Thirdly, unlike in the colonial age when the state
encouraged migration as cultivators of wasteland or as indentured
labour, the Partition refugees were forced migrants and the post-1947
immigrants come without overt state support.

Common with the 19th and 20th centuries are the push factors of
poverty, landlessness, the feudal system and lack of land reforms in
their area of origin [Majumdar 2002: 107-108]. The pull factor is the
fertile land in the north-east and the legal system that allows them
to encroach on the land. Much of the land in the tribal areas of the
region is community owned according to tribal customary law, but
Indian land laws recognise only individual ownership. This
disjunction between the systems makes it easy for the immigrants to
encroach on and cultivate common land. Besides, most immigrants were
agricultural labourers in their area of origin, as such familiar with
cultivation techniques. They prosper by using these techniques on the
land they occupy.

Whatever the type of immigrants, for over a century they have
encroached on the land of the local communities. These communities
resist the alienation of their livelihood, but the country treats
their resistance as insurgency and a law and order issue. The
consequent land shortage has resulted in ethnic conflicts between
various tribes of the north-east and has added to the threat of land
and job loss. Be it the Naga-Kuki conflict in Manipur [Fernandes and
Bharali 2002: 52-55], the Bodo-Santhal [Roy 1995] and Dimasa-Hmar
tension in Assam (The Telegraph, April 23, 2003) or the Tripura
tribal demand for a homeland [Bhaumik 2003], all have their origin in
competition for land and result in massacres. Other conflicts like
the one between the Assamese and Bihari have been for jobs [Fernandes
2003].

Another pull factor is the local need for cheap labour and services
that the immigrants provide as barbers, shoe-makers and as unskilled
manual workers. Construction and other contractors seem to have
developed a vested interest in their cheap labour. For example,
according to a news item, the main bidders for the Bogibeel bridge
contract in upper Assam were two organisations formed by former AASU
leaders who were in the forefront of the agitation against the
immigrants. However, neither organisation was ready to give an
undertaking that it would employ only Assamese workers, because the
immigrants were ready to work for very low wages (The Assam Tribune
October 22, 2002). According to another report (The Sentinel, January
23, 2005) brick kiln owners at Mariani in Assam do not cooperate with
the officials who are trying to identify Bangladeshi labourers
working under them.

Landowners also search for Bangladeshi labour as cultivators. For
example, a result of the Assam movement is the thrust given to
education and jobs in the administration. Those who are employed in
the administration continue to own land, but do not want to cultivate
it. So they employ immigrants, particularly of Bangladeshi origin, to
cultivate it or give it out to them on a share cropper basis for one
year at a time, not beyond it, for fear of losing it under the Land
Reforms Act [Fernandes and Barbora 2002b: 52-54]. We have seen the
Angami of Nagaland 'adopting' Nepali workers to cultivate land of
those who have jobs in the town. We were told that in the Phek
district of Nagaland the educated people who do not want to work on
their land 'adopt' Bangladeshis to cultivate it. Thus, the local
people are ambiguous towards the immigrants. On the one hand, they
oppose them as encroachers on their land and jobs and, on the other,
their low wages have become a vested interest with the contractors
and agriculturists.

Conclusion

Will the repeal of the IMDT act solve this problem? That ambiguity
will probably continue because very few local people want to do the
tasks that the immigrants perform. As a result, the demands for
sending the immigrants away will continue, but very little will be
done. Political parties will find new ways of using them as vote
banks or of rousing communal feelings around them. The fear of losing
jobs will continue to be used to get the cooperation of the student
body. However, a solution can be found only when student bodies come
together to demand another type of development that creates jobs and
motivates them to go back to their land in order to cultivate it in
another form. The local communities have to stand up to the vested
interest of builders and contractors in cheap labour. If enough jobs
are created and the youth is trained to take up new jobs, they may
not even need to fight against the immigrants because there may be
enough for all to share. That requires a move away from a communal to
an economic and cultural approach to immigration.