SACW | 22 June 2005

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Jun 21 21:48:17 CDT 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire  | 22 June,  2005

[1]  Pakistan:
    - Lahore -- a Muslim city!  (Ishtiaq Ahmed)
    -  Obscene questionnaire or image problem again? (Editorial Daily Times)
[2]  Bangladesh: Government Fails to Act Against Religious Violence (HRW)
[3]  India - Gujarat :
    - Riot victims file suit to make VHP BJP pay damages (Tarunabh Khaitan)
    - 'In Right Measure'  (Editorial, The Telegraph)
[4]  India: Untoo, the police and the press  (Mukul Dube)
[5]  India: No rain, but `snow' and water parks  (P. Sainath)
[6]  India - "The sounds of '[D]angey Mataram' ",
directed by Madhya Pradesh's BJP Govt
-  Assembly Time  (Editorial, The Hindu)

Daily Times
June 21, 2005

LAHORE -- A MUSLIM CITY!
by Ishtiaq Ahmed

If the obsession for confessional purity is
allowed to keep eliminating all anomalies, the
Shia-Sunni divide might prove fatal to the
'homogeneity' of Lahore and Punjab. As long as
the people of Lahore remain peaceful and perform
their civic duties they should be left to
practise their distinctive beliefs and thus add
to the richness of its cultural life
The most dramatic change in Lahore's cultural
personality in 1947 was that after August 14 it
became an essentially Muslim city. Almost all the
Hindus and Sikhs left and it received refugees
from East Punjab, especially Amritsar but also
Jullandhar and Ludhiana, and some from the
Urdu-speaking areas of northern India and
Hyderabad Deccan.
In the subsequent decades, the city has expanded
in all directions and new residents have
continued to arrive from various parts of the
Pakistani Punjab. Many old Lahoris whose roots
predate the founding of Pakistan, complain that
their sophisticated city and its relaxed
lifestyle have been gradually subverted by the
boorish and clumsy manners of these nouveau
riche, especially since large number of villagers
and small town dwellers, after making a fortune
as migrant workers in the Persian Gulf region or
in other parts of the world, have settled in the
new localities on the outskirts of the city. Thus
demographic change has continued unabated and
from a petite city of around 700,000 in 1947,
Lahore is now home to more than six million
people.
I remember that Lahore of the mid-1950s and the
1960s was a very dainty city. St Anthony's High
School at Lawrence Road, where I studied, was a
very popular place. The Mall, the Lawrence
Gardens and the various restaurants made our city
a most lively place. During the 1965 war with
India, Lahore was in a very exposed position and
the booming of guns and deafening sounds of
supersonic air force planes breaking the sound
barrier created a new sort of excitement.
The next important period in Lahore's history was
the 1968 mass movement to oust Field Marshall
Mohammad Ayub Khan from power. That was followed
soon by the meteoric rise of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
on the political horizon of Pakistan. Bhutto
quickly won the sympathy and admiration of the
people of Lahore and every time he was in town
mammoth crowds gathered to listen to him or
participate in the marches arranged by his
Pakistan People's Party. The anti-climax to his
popularity came in December 1972 when workers
took over various factories all over Pakistan. He
unleashed considerable repression and the workers
were forced to run for safety. At that moment, he
decided to elbow out the leftists in his party
and welcome the landowners.
The coming into power of General Muhammad Zia ul
Haq in 1977, by overthrowing ZA Bhutto, changed
the character of Pakistan from a Muslim state
with some liberal graces into an Islamic state
distinguishable by its obscurantism. This meant
that a deliberately dogmatic Islamic identity had
to be fostered on Pakistan and indeed on Lahore.
A cousin of mine tells the story that a friend of
his who was a programme producer at the Lahore
unit of the Pakistan Television was summoned by
the military administrator of Lahore in the early
stages of General Zia ul Haq's takeover of power.
He was ordered to prepare a script for a
television programme on the history of Lahore.
Some days later, he returned with an outline. Not
surprisingly he had begun the history of Lahore
with the legendary origin of its name associated
with Lav/Loh, son of Rama. The colonel listening
to the script became livid with rage and demanded
the deletion of any such reference. Instead the
story of Lahore was to begin with the arrival in
Lahore in 1039 of the Sufi-saint Data Ganj Baksh
from Afghanistan along with the army of Masud of
Ghazni.
Did Lahore transform into a homogeneous city (by
implication one that is free of fissures and deep
cleavages) when the non-Muslims left? Indeed no
comparable slaughter of citizens has taken place
in Lahore after 1947, but in 1953 a virulent
anti-Ahmadiyya agitation broke out in Lahore.
Some Muslim League leaders masterminded it. There
was considerable loss of life and property. The
same Ahmadiyya community had played an active
role in the promotion of the Pakistan demand in
1947 and the Muslim League had counted it among
the Muslims. In 1974 they were found to be
holding beliefs contrary to the teachings of
Islam and declared a religious minority by the
National Assembly.
Earlier in 1972 my alma mater, Forman Christian
College, was nationalised along with some other
colleges in the Punjab, which were under the
control and management of Christian missions.
Mission-run schools were not nationalised. This
was indicative of a populist and erratic policy
of nationalisation represented by the Pakistan
People's Party. From what I have heard the
nationalisation ruined the best teaching
institutions in our province, which the
Christians had been running so successfully. The
tiny Christian community protested and pleaded
but was ignored. The eviction of Christian staff
from FC College by the police and other
authorities was carried out in a most brutish
manner. It is to the great credit of the present
government that the management of FC College has
been returned to the Presbyterian Mission and it
has been raised to the level of a university.
From the late 1980s onwards, the tranquillity
between the Sunni and Shia communities of Lahore
was undermined by terrorism. Behind the
Shia-Sunni terrorism was the international
rivalry between Iran and Saudi Arabia to dominate
the Muslim world. It resulted in proxy wars
between their protégés all over the Middle East
and Pakistan. Lahore became an arena for
sectarian killings. Sectarian militias began to
engage in recurrent and protracted terrorism in
Lahore. They did not hesitate to kill people
belonging to the other sect even if they were
praying or mourning death. Desecration of each
other's mosques, graveyards and such other places
peaked during the 1990s.
If the obsession for confessional purity is
allowed to keep eliminating all anomalies, the
Shia-Sunni divide might prove fatal to the
'homogeneity' of Lahore and Punjab. As long as
the people of Lahore remain peaceful and perform
their civic duties they should be left to
practise their distinctive beliefs and thus add
to the richness of its cultural life. It is
therefore all the more important that the state
remains neutral on matters of religious
affiliation and curbs all extremist groups while
protecting peaceful citizens irrespective of
which religion they adhere to.

______

Daily Times
June 22, 2005
Editorial

  OBSCENE QUESTIONNAIRE OR IMAGE PROBLEM AGAIN?
The Ministry for Social Welfare and Special
Education has blacklisted Rozan, a non-government
organisation (NGO), for allegedly distributing an
'obscene' questionnaire in schools and has
ordered the NGO to immediately abandon its
projects. Rozan had apparently circulated a
questionnaire as part of a survey to improve
children's emotional health and secure them
against sexual abuse. The questionnaire asked
students if they had ever been sexually assaulted
or harassed or had sexual relations with the
opposite sex. This the ministry has deemed
objectionable and ordered the NGO to stop work on
the project.
If the issue were not so serious we would
probably have laughed at the ministry's misplaced
sense of propriety. What does the ministry want?
That no effort should be made at improving the
emotional health of children and securing them
from paedophiles? Or is it that the ministry
seriously thinks that such things do not happen
in Pakistan and any attempt to uncover them will
hurt the image of Pakistan? We would like answers
to these questions because there is enough
evidence to suggest that Pakistani children, like
most children in most underdeveloped countries of
the world, are in need of a better emotional
environment. The only way to go about getting
data on the extent of emotional health problems,
especially those that result from sexual abuse,
is to ask the kind of questions that the ministry
mistakenly thinks are obscene. This is ludicrous.
Pakistan is part of the modern world and it faces
the same social problems that other countries do.
Indeed, as Mukhtar Mai's case shows, even gang
rape has a certain tribal sanction. Let the
ministry therefore not express its
holier-than-thou attitude, not deny some of the
ugly realities that we have, for long, brushed
under the carpet. *

_______

[2]

Human Rights Watch

BANGLADESH: GOVERNMENT FAILS TO ACT AGAINST RELIGIOUS VIOLENCE
ATTACKS ON MINORITY AHMADIS CONTINUE AMIDST CENSORSHIP AND POGROMS

(Dhaka, June 16, 2005) - The Bangladesh
government has aligned itself with extremist
groups that foment violence against the minority
Ahmadiyya community, Human Rights Watch said in a
report released today.
  It's a dangerous moment in Bangladesh when the
government becomes complicit in religious
violence. The authorities have emboldened
extremists by failing to prosecute those engaged
in anti-Ahmadi violence and by banning Ahmadiyya
publications.

Brad Adams, executive director of Human Rights Watch's Asia Division.

The 45-page report, "Breach of Faith: Persecution
of the Ahmadiyya Community in Bangladesh,"
documents the campaign of violence, harassment
and intimidation unleashed by the Khatme Nabuwat
(KN)--an umbrella group of Sunni Muslim
extremists--against the Ahmadiyya community. The
KN and other extremist groups have attacked
Ahmadiyya mosques, beaten and killed some
Ahmadis, and prevented access to schools and
sources of livelihood for others. They have
demanded an official declaration that Ahmadis are
not Muslims and a ban on all Ahmadi writings and
missionary activities.

Founded in 1889 by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, the
Ahmadiyya community is a religious group that
identifies itself as Muslim. It differs with
other Muslims over the exact definition of
Prophet Mohammad being the "final"
monotheist prophet.

Under the Bangladesh National Party-led
government, discrimination and violence against
the Ahmadis has intensified. The report documents
the government's failure to prosecute those
responsible for anti-Ahmadi violence. It condemns
the January ban on all Ammadiyya publications
imposed by the government.

The Jamaat-e-Islami and the Islamic Okye Jyote,
junior coalition partners in the government, do
not recognize the Ahmadis as Muslims and have
been involved in fomenting religious violence
against them and other religious
minorities.

"It's a dangerous moment in Bangladesh when the
government becomes complicit in religious
violence," said Brad Adams, executive director of
Human Rights Watch's Asia Division. "The
authorities have emboldened extremists by failing
to prosecute those engaged in anti-Ahmadi
violence and by banning Ahmadiyya publications."

Bangladesh's High Court has temporarily suspended
the ban on Ahmadiyya publications and the
government argues that the ban was put into place
to appease extremists and thereby protect
Ahmadis. But anti-Ahmadi violence and agitation
has continued. These include massive anti-Ahmadi
rallies, threats against members of the group,
attacks on mosques, the refusal in some places to
allow Ahmadi children to go to school, and the
confiscation of Ahmadiyya publications.

Human Rights Watch said that given the alarmingly
high levels of communal violence in Bangladesh
directed against other minorities, including
Hindus and indigenous peoples, further government
concessions to extremist religious demands would
set a dangerous precedent and, could unleash an
uncontrollable wave of violence.

For doctrinal reasons, many Muslims consider the
Ahmadiyya to be non-Muslims. They become easy
targets in times of religious and political
insecurity. For those pursuing populist political
goals, such as Islamist and conservative parties
in Bangladesh, raising the bogey of Ahmadi
subversion and persecuting them, ostensibly in
order to preserve the faith, has provided a fast
track to political power.

Ahmadis fear that institutionalized
discrimination and violence will become the norm
if, as demanded by the Islamic Okye Jyote, they
are officially declared to be non-Muslims.

"Political parties that engage in religious
incitement have no place in government," said
Adams. "The Bangladesh National Party needs to
make it clear to its coalition partners that they
must end all support for anti-Ahmadiyya
activities or leave the government."

Human Rights Watch urged the international
community to press the Bangladesh government to
prosecute those responsible for planning and
executing attacks against the Ahmadiyya and other
minorities, to rescind the ban on Ahmadiyya
publications, and take steps to encourage
religious tolerance within Bangladeshi society.

To monitor the immediate implementation of these
measures, the Bangladesh government should
immediately provide the U.N. Special Rapporteur
on Freedom of Religion, Asma Jahangir, firm dates
to visit the country on terms consistent with her
mandate.

Human Rights Watch said that the ongoing official
persecution of Ahmadis in Pakistan provides a
chilling precedent. Since 2000, an estimated 325
Ahmadis have been formally charged in criminal
cases, including blasphemy, for professing their
religion in Pakistan. As a result, thousands of
Ahmadis have fled Pakistan to seek asylum abroad.

"Unless the Bangladesh government acts to allow
Ahmadis to practice their faith in peace, the
situation could spiral out of control," said
Adams. "Continued failure to act will confirm the
growing impression that Bangladesh's ruling
coalition is more religiously intolerant than any
government since the country's founding."

Accounts from "Breach of Faith: Persecution of
the Ahmadiyya Community in Bangladesh"

They started hitting us with bamboo sticks. The
beat us and beat us. We tried to escape but it
was not possible. Shah Alam was being beaten
particularly harshly by Aminur Rahman and Shahid.
They continued hitting us with the bamboo sticks,
particularly on the head. I could see that Shah
Alam was getting badly injured. They beat his
brain out of his head. I could see it. We asked
them to stop as we could see Shah Alam was dying
and had to be taken to hospital. But they did
not. The entire incident lasted about thirty
minutes. That is all I remember clearly. My
memory has suffered as a result of what happened.

-Interview with Abul Bashar, an Ahmadi villager, August 25, 2004.

Early in the morning, after the Fajr (dawn)
prayers, a mob from the village surrounded my
house, dragged me out, and tied me to a tree.
Then they started beating me with sticks and
rods. Then they carried me to the local market
and beat me more, this time even more badly. Just
when I thought I was going to die, local
policemen came to the spot and took me to another
house and then the policemen asked me to leave
the Ahmadiyya faith. When I refused, the
policemen started beating me. Then they took me
to the police station and put me in the lock-up
where they handcuffed me and beat me again. The
next morning, at about 11 o'clock, the policemen
took me to the district headquarters of the
police and beat me again. Maulana Abdul Rajjak
and others came to check what was going on. The
Officer in-Charge informed them within earshot of
me that they should not worry, the police would
"deal" with me "properly." The police said that
it was clever of the village people to register a
robbery case against me and that they would use
that as an excuse to beat a Qadiani.

-Interview with Mohammad Mominul Islam alias Raqeeb, August 24, 2004.

_______

[3]

The Telegraph
June 21, 2005

MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT

GUJARAT RIOT VICTIMS HAVE CLAIMED DAMAGES AGAINST
THE VHP AND BJP. Tarunabh Khaitan Explores The
Precedents And Implications

Ahmedabad, February 28, 2002
The Rs 8-crore damages claimed against the Vishwa
Hindu Parishad and the Bharatiya Janata Party by
the relatives of the victims of the Gujarat riots
raise complex issues about the role
constitutional morality can play in the daily
lives of citizens. The foundational values of
equality, human rights, security of life and
liberty, enshrined in the chapter on fundamental
rights of the Indian Constitution, have
traditionally been invoked by the citizens
against the State. The suit filed in the Gujarat
court is a wake-up call to the reality of
violation of these foundational values by
non-State and quasi-State actors.

These entities perform quintessentially public
functions affecting the rights of citizens and
include political parties, corporate bodies,
non-governmental organizations, trade unions,
employers, educational institutions, building
societies and hospitals. The need to make
non-State actors accountable to constitutional
values is only more acute with the
pre-liberalization State functions of producing
steel, dispensing medicines and educating
engineers moving into private hands. Therefore,
fundamental rights should not only inform the
vertical citizen-State relationship but also the
horizontal citizen-citizen relationship.

Civil action claiming damages against the State
for breaching its duty of care is not new. In at
least three cases, various high courts have
ordered the State to pay compensation to victims
of riots. In R. Gandhi v. Union of India (1989),
the Madras high court held that "members of the
Sikh community form an integral part of Indian
society whose rights have been flagrantly
infringed by the inaction of the law enforcing
authorities. These unfortunate victims of arson
and violence are entitled to seek reasonable
compensation from the State of Tamil Nadu, which
has failed in its duty to protect their
constitutional and legal rights." Similar views
were expressed by the Jammu and Kashmir high
court in M/s Inderpuri General Stores v. Union of
India (1992) and very recently by the Delhi high
court in Manjit Singh Sawhney v. Union of India
(2005). In all these cases, the courts ordered
the State to pay compensation to the victims of
the anti-Sikh riots for its inaction in
protecting life and property.

By not claiming damages from the State, the
Gujarat suit digresses from these cases. It
embodies a realization that the responsibility
for compensation of victims rests primarily with
the perpetrators, and only vicariously with the
tax-payers. The suit relies on the precedent set
by the Kerala high court, which ordered damages
to be paid by the political party whose bandh
call resulted in violations of fundamental
rights. The high court held that "No political
party or organisation can claim that it
is...entitled to prevent the citizens not in
sympathy with its viewpoints, from exercising
their fundamental rights." The judgment was
endorsed by the Supreme Court in Communist Party
of India (M) v. Bharat Kumar (1998).

The propriety of the right to call a bandh need
not, however, be called into question in the riot
compensation cases. The damages are sought for
acts which violate the right to life, liberty and
security, whether or not they took place during a
bandh. That said, however, the fact of a bandh
call surely is strong evidence for causally
linking the alleged acts of violations of rights
to the party which gave the call.

The responsibility of quasi-State or private
bodies should not be limited to preservation of
the right to life, liberty and security alone.
Such liability should be extended to the right
against discrimination as well. Article 15 of the
Constitution forbids the State from
discriminating against any person on the basis of
his or her race, caste, creed, sex, and so on.
However, except for the Civil Rights Act, 1955,
which prohibits discrimination on the basis of
caste, Indian law has largely disallowed the
horizontal citizen-to-citizen application of the
right against discrimination.

The point was reinforced by the Supreme Court in
its recent decision in Zoroastrian Co-operative
Housing Society Limited v. District Registrar
Co-operative Societies (2005), where it allowed a
housing society to rent and sell accommodation
only to members of a particular religious
community. Reports of discrimination by medical
establishments, private employers and educational
institutions on the basis of religion, caste and
HIV status are not rare. Such division of civil
society into ghettoes facilitates the insularity
of different groups and nurses prejudice among
them, with the disastrous consequences we have
witnessed too often.

Many liberal democracies which respect human
rights have made discrimination by non-State
actors a civil liability. The US Civil Rights
Act, 1964 has helped to shape a political
discourse of inclusion over the years. The South
African constitution prohibits discrimination on
the grounds of "age, gender, sex, pregnancy,
marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour,
sexual orientation, age, disability, religion,
conscience, belief, culture, language and birth"
by the State as well as by any person.

In Vishaka v. State of Rajasthan (1997) the
Supreme Court opened up to the horizontal
application of fundamental rights and held
private employers liable for sexual harassment of
employees in the work place. This idea needs to
be taken to its logical conclusion. However, a
judicial development of any doctrine is patchy,
and is dictated more by the needs of the case at
hand than by the overall policy choices. While
the judicial expansion of the rights of citizens
by applying them horizontally is welcome, it is
time parliament laid down a coherent policy
embodied in a statute.

Parliament should, by law, extend the fundamental
rights available in part III of the Constitution
against the State to other natural and juristic
persons who are capable of violating these rights
as well. Such a law would need to resolve complex
issues such as establishing efficient enforcement
machinery and outlining the appropriate remedies
available for such violations that should
preferably be settled through a public debate
rather than through judicial law-making.

A civil liability on non-State and quasi-State
actors to respect the fundamental values of the
Constitution may not see the end of communal
violence in this country. But it will make it
more expensive to loot, kill and discriminate.
Many acts of communal violence have gone
unpunished by the criminal justice system. A
civil remedy has the advantage of having to
satisfy a lesser standard of proof than the more
demanding "beyond reasonable doubt" standard
required in a criminal trial. It is also more
sensitive to the restorative and remedial needs
of the victim. Further, a civil remedy is driven
by the victim rather than by the State officials
(especially the police) who themselves might be
implicated in the violations.

This is certainly not to suggest that the
criminal justice system can be left in the mess
it is in. A civil remedy, like the one demanded
in the Gujarat cases, will complement the quest
for justice. Those who reject the values of
tolerance and plurality underpinning our
multicultural Constitution should pay up.

o o o o

The Telegraph
  June 16, 2005 | 	 Editorial

IN RIGHT MEASURE

There are some changes that take place almost
invisibly. The demands for justice for the
unspeakable horrors that took place in Gujarat in
early 2002 have been gathering direction, as is
demonstrated by the number of cases now in the
courts. Most recently, the representatives of
those killed in the Gulbarg Society massacre have
filed a civil suit, demanding compensation from
the local leaders of the Bajrang Dal and the
leader of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, Mr Praveen
Togadia. The compensation suit makes particular
political organizations liable, instead of
claiming damages from the state for having failed
to protect the life and liberty of its citizens.
Petitions of the second kind are more common, and
in a favourable judgment, the state, or the
public, compensates the victims of violence. But
the Gulbarg Society suit is the second of its
kind. In the first, relatives of two non-resident
Indians, who had been killed during the communal
violence in Gujarat, filed a compensation suit
making Mr Narendra Modi liable.

The shift in emphasis is worth noting. The rights
to life and liberty, to free movement and the
right not to be discriminated against are no
longer being held to be the sole responsibility
of the state. Preserving constitutional rights is
as much a responsibility of citizens towards one
another as much as it is that of the state
towards its citizens. The way to this change was
inaugurated by the judgment of the Kerala high
court against bandhs, by which the liability of
the damage to life, property and mobility
consequent upon a bandh could be fixed on
political parties calling that bandh. At the
broadest theoretical level, the expansion of the
notion of accountability is the best route to a
fuller understanding of the relationship between
rights and responsibility, and of the application
of the idea of rights. On a more practical level,
it is an effective weapon against the overriding
arrogance of dominant political parties. It is
true that court cases take time. The message may
take a while to sink in. Yet compensation to the
tune of crores or lakhs or even thousands will
begin to pinch, and the strength of numbers will
no longer provide immunity from legal action. It
is far more difficult to fix liability for murder
during violent conflicts. The shift of emphasis
will ultimately compel political organizations
and every other institution and individual to
think twice before attempting to breach the
rights of citizens.

_______

[4]

www.thehoot.org

UNTOO, THE POLICE AND THE PRESS

Why did no one from the press attempt to get more
information than was given out at briefings? Did
any newspaper ask its people in Kashmir to make
enquiries about anything connected with this case?

Mukul Dube

A report in the Pioneer of 26 February 2005
begins, "Delhi Police have arrested a former
Kashmiri militant and a Pakistani agent, Mohammed
Ahsun Untoo, from Church Road in Cantonment Area
on charges of spying." Note that the staff
reporter describes Untoo thus, implicitly
accepting the claims of the police as fact.

Here is how subsequent paragraphs of the report
begin: "Police have recovered..."; "Deputy
Commissioner of Police (south-west district)
Dependra Pathak said..."; "Sources said..."; "The
special staff got a tip-off...". Clearly an
energetic and mobile reporter.

The report says that Untoo was paid  Rs 6 lakh
by the Pakistan High Commission for handing over
"defence secrets". One of the documents
"recovered" was a schedule of patrolling drawn up
in the late 1950s, which just happens to be
available to anyone for the asking. Untoo was
charged under two sections of the Official
Secrets Act. He was arrested on 12 February, and
"on the basis of information received from him",
his "associate" Gulam Nabi Nagar was arrested in
Srinagar on 17 February. [All spelling errors in
the published report have been reproduced
faithfully.]

The Asian Age of the same date calls these
inDIViduals Mohammed Ahsun Untoo and Gulam Nabi
Najar. Untoo is described as "the former
launching commander of the Hizbul Mujahideen
terrorist group" and the other man is "his
militant operator", the place of his arrest
having changed to Baramulla. The list of
"recovered" documents is much the same, but
mobile phones "operating from Pakistan-occupied
Kashmir", "fake identity cards" and "fake curfew
passes" make their appearance.

The report in the Hindu of the same date tries to
play half-safe but falls on its face. It
describes Untoo as "a self-proclaimed human
rights activist" but says that he was arrested
for "allegedly passing on sensitive
information...." A little later we have, "Untoo,
a former Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militant, had joined
the human rights DIVision of the APHC in 1994."
It is not clear whether this DIVision of the APHC
consists only of self-proclaimed human rights
activists or if Untoo is the lone one who sneaked
in.

This report also contains this fascinating
information: "[Untoo] had been arrested ... for
being in possession of AK-57 assault rifles. But,
he was later acquitted." I call it fascinating
because it is the mother of all Rubik's Cubes.
What was Untoo doing with rifles (note the
plural)? Was he a gun-smith licensed to stock,
sell and repair unlicensed fire-arms? Had the
security forces set up a museum of captured
weapons and employed Untoo as its curator? We are
not told of the charge or charges of which he was
acquitted. Why, above all, did the staff reporter
of the newspaper put in this singularly
meaningless morsel? I can think of no reason
other than the opportunity it gave to speak of an
arrest and of weapons. Untoo's acquittal was an
unfortunate but necessary footnote.

Only one report published on that date, that
which appeared in the Times of India, is almost
entirely consistent in speaking of statements and
claims made by the police. That is, it does not
apply the stamp of truth to that which it does
not know to be the truth. The first three reports
give the date of Untoo's arrest as 12 February,
all speak of Delhi's south-west police district,
the first speaks of the cantonment area and the
second speaks of Srinagesh Garden, which is in
the cantonment.

These reports were published in English
newspapers. Of the three reports I have seen
which appeared in Hindi newspapers, I shall speak
only of the remarkable piece of work which the
Dainik Bhaskar had put out some days earlier, on
12 February 2005. [The translation is mine.]

"The Crime Branch Joint Commissioner, Ranjit
Narain, said that solid clues about the attackers
had been found, and they would soon be arrested.
He said their links extended to Jammu and
Kashmir." We should pay attention to three things
here. The first is that "attackers" (plural) were
spoken of. The second is that, as this very
report said, "Even today, the police could not
record Geelani's statement. They spent the whole
day wandering about the hospital."

When the police were finally allowed to meet
Geelani - they had been held back not by Geelani
himself or by cruel fate, as they and the
newspapers constantly suggested, but by the
doctors treating him - he spoke unambiguously of
a lone attacker. How could the Joint Commissioner
have said what he did? That is the third thing to
which we should pay attention: the dates on which
things happened or were said to have happened. We
shall now look at claims that Untoo had already
been in the custody of the police - but had not
been formally arrested - for some days when Shri
Ranjit Narain spoke to the Dainik Bhaskar.

The Statesman of 17 May 2005 reported that S.A.R.
Geelani's lawyer Nandita Haksar told members of
the press that Untoo had in fact been illegally
picked up by the Special Cell of the Delhi Police
from the Priya Guest House in Paharganj on 9
February. She said he was being tortured so that
he would confess falsely to having attempted to
murder Geelani.

The Asian Age of the same date says that Untoo
was "allegedly beaten, tortured and sodomised in
police custody." It goes on, "Untoo's lawyer N.D.
Pancholi has filed an application on his behalf
seeking protection of his life and enquiry into
the torture by the police." Nandita Haksar is
reported to have announced that a letter from
Untoo, in which he had described the treatment
meted out to him by the police, had reached the
All-India Defence Committee for Syed Abdul Rehman
Geelani. Sampat Prakash, state president of the
All Jammu and Kashmir Trade Union Centre, is
reported to have said, "Untoo is a well known
human rights activist and is the chairman of the
Human Rights Forum in J&K." It is not known if he
said that that Forum was a bogus organisation
which issued fake identity cards to non-existent
members.

The Hindu of the same date reported that "social
activists from various organisations ... demanded
that Mohammad Ahsan Untoo ... be immediately
released." His lawyer, N.D. Pancholi, was
reported to have said at a press conference, "He
has told us that he was picked up by the police
on February 9. But the FIR against him has only
been lodged on February 12. Why this gap? And he
was tortured and sodomised." The report says also
that Untoo was "compelled to sign on blank pieces
of paper."

The Indian Express of 16 May had given Daryaganj,
not Paharganj, as the location of the Priya Guest
House. It had also said that Untoo's letter had
been smuggled out. It had reported that the
police had described Haksar's claim as false,
given that the FIR in the case had been
registered at the Delhi Cantonment police
station. It had not, however, reported Haksar or
Pancholi as having said that the FIR had been
filed in Visakhapatnam. They had said that Untoo
had been in illegal detention for three days.
Assuming that the FIR was filed three days late,
what was to prevent its being filed several miles
away from the place where he had been picked up?
If space can be changed, so can time.

The police version may be true, of course: after
all, there is an official document to show that
it is true. Anyone who claims that it contains
lies must prove that. If such a person presents
an alternative document, the truth of that
document - not an official one - must be
established. The advantage always lies with those
who have the majesty of the Indian State behind
them.

12 February, which is the day on which the police
claim to have arrested Untoo, was a Saturday. He
was therefore produced before the duty magistrate
the next day, a Sunday. Apparently this procedure
has become routine in such cases. The accused,
being surrounded by policemen who may well have
been physically unpleasant to him or her, is
usually too frightened to say anything to the
magistrate, who therefore records only what the
police say. It is part of the job of a magistrate
to ask after the condition and welfare of the
person being produced: but it appears that in
this instance, the duty magistrate did not do
this. Untoo could not say to the representative
of Justice what appears in the next paragraph.

The application mentioned in the Asian Age of 17
May (see above) was either not filed or else not
heard.  It  contains these complaints: that Untoo
was stripped and beaten; that a scavenger was
made to sodomise him; that alcohol was forced
down Untoo's throat and he was compelled to sign
blank pieces of paper; that the magistrate before
whom Untoo was produced on 13 February "did not
give an opportunity to [him] to complain about
the torture"; that the police denied him access
to a lawyer as well as medical assistance; and
that there had been reports in newspapers which
said that Untoo had been arrested in connection
with the attempt on S.A.R. Geelani's life.

Despite the efforts of the police, though, Untoo
did not "confess" to having made an attempt on
Geelani's life. Possibly because setting him free
could have created all manner of problems, the
Delhi Police put together an assortment of papers
- unless it keeps such things ready for such
situations - and booked him under the Official
Secrets Act.

Untoo's lawyer, N.D. Pancholi, had spoken to the
press. This is evident from the fact that at
least one newspaper knew about and mentioned the
"Application for protection of life ..." just
described. Geelani's lawyer, Nandita Haksar, had
spoken to the press. Sampat Prakash had spoken to
the press. Why, then, were the complaints listed
above buried by all but a few newspapers? Why is
it that no one from the press appears to have
attempted to get more information than was given
out to all who attended the briefings? Did any
newspaper ask its people in Kashmir to make
enquiries about anything connected with this case?

Was Untoo really "masquerading" as a human rights
activist? Were identity cards really "recovered"
from him, and were they really "fake"? What of
the "large number of secret military documents,
maps", etc., also "recovered"? Was Untoo carrying
them on microfilm or on compact disks? In half a
dozen suitcases on the back of a camel secretly
brought in from across the border, perhaps?

If indeed the police did any of the things which
are listed in N.D. Pancholi's application, it is
a serious matter in a country which calls itself
a democracy. If indeed the magistrate before whom
Untoo was produced failed to do his or her duty,
that is a considerably more serious matter, since
it reflects on our judiciary, to which was given
both an independent place and great power in 1947
and in 1950.

I do not know if the press is unaware of these
matters. I do not know if the press considers
these matters inconsequential. I do know, though,
that in either eventuality, the press must be
called, at the very least, irresponsible. It
could be given a good many worse names. So far as
I can see, it took the easy route: don't think,
just swallow and regurgitate. Practise your
vaunted "investigative journalism" only where
unimportant, expendable people are not involved.
Go where the gold is.

Many have been saying, and for long - the press
statement released on 16 May by Sampat Prakash
was hardly the first example - that it has become
the policy of the Indian State to "catch and
frame" or "catch and kill" Kashmiris. It is
legitimate to ask if there has been no change in
the attitudes and biases - or the policy - of the
Indian State despite the change of government at
the Centre a year ago.

The press cannot claim that it is not involved
here. Does it not see Kashmiris as Indians and,
for that reason, people to be respected and cared
for by the Indian State? Is it the same press
which, three years ago, roundly castigated Modi,
Gujarat and the Sangh Parivar for having
committed crimes against humanity in their own
country? Is it now so obsessed with the stock
market, fashion, motor cars and the shenanigans
of political leaders who have no discernible
ideology, that it has decided that such ideals as
truth and justice are archaic and no longer of
any consequence?

_______

[5]

The Hindu
June 22, 2005

NO RAIN, BUT `SNOW' AND WATER PARKS

P. Sainath

Water-starved Vidharbha has a growing number of
water parks and amusement centres.

EVEN WHEN it's 47 degrees in the rest of the
region, it's cool here. A little away from us is
a patch that clocks in at minus 13 degrees. This
is "India's first Snowdome" - in burning
Vidharbha. Keeping its ice rink firm costs
Rs.4,000 a day in electricity charges alone.

Welcome to the Fun & Food Village Water &
Amusement Park in Bazargaon gram panchayat of
Nagpur (Rural) district. A portrait of Mahatma
Gandhi greets visitors in the office of the huge
complex. And you're assured daily disco, ice
skating, ice sliding and "a well stocked bar with
cocktails." The 40-acre park itself offers 18
kinds of water slides and games. Also services
for events ranging from conferences to kitty
parties.

The village of Bazargaon (population 3,000)
itself faces a huge water crisis. "Having to make
many daily trips for water, women walk up to 15
km in a day to fetch it," says sarpanch Yamunabai
Uikey. "This whole village has just one sarkari
well. Sometimes, we have got water once in four
or five days. Sometimes, once in ten days."

Bazargaon falls in a region declared as
scarcity-hit in 2004. It had never faced that
fate before. The village also had its share of
six-hour - and worse - power cuts till about May.
These hit every aspect of daily life, including
health, and devastated children appearing for
exams. The summer heat, touching 47, made things
worse.

All these iron laws of rural life do not apply
within Fun & Food Village. This private oasis has
more water than Bazargaon can dream of. And never
a moment's break in power supply. "We pay on
average," says Jasjeet Singh, General Manager of
the Park, "about Rs.4 lakhs a month in
electricity bills."

The Park's monthly power bill alone almost equals
the yearly revenue of Yamunabhai's gram
panchayat. Ironically, the village's power crisis
eased slightly because of the Park. Both share
the same sub-station. The park's peak period
begins with May. And so things have been a little
better since then. The Park's contribution to the
gram panchayat's revenue is Rs.50,000 a year.
About half what Fun & Food Village collects at
the gate in a day from its 700 daily visitors.
Barely a dozen of the Park's 110 workers are
locals from Bazargaon.

Water-starved Vidharbha has a growing number of
such water parks and amusement centres. In
Shegaon, Buldhana, a religious trust runs a giant
"Meditation Centre and Entertainment Park."
Efforts to maintain a 30-acre `artificial lake'
within it ran dry this summer. But not before
untold amounts of water were wasted in the
attempt. Here the entry tickets are called
"donations." In Yavatmal, a private company runs
a public lake as a tourist joint. Amravati has
two or more such spots (dry just now). And there
are others in and around Nagpur.

This, in a region where villages have sometimes
got water once in 15 days. And where an ongoing
farm crisis has seen the largest numbers of
farmers' suicides in Maharashtra. "No major
project for either drinking water or irrigation
has been completed in Vidharbha in decades," says
Nagpur-based journalist Jaideep Hardikar. He has
covered the region for years.

Mr. Singh insists the Fun & Food Village
conserves water. "We use sophisticated filter
plants to reuse the same water." But evaporation
levels are very high in this heat. And water is
not just used for sports. All the parks use
massive amounts of it for maintaining their
gardens, on sanitation and for their clientele.

"It is a huge waste of water and money," says
Vinayak Gaikwad in Buldhana. He is a farmer and a
Kisan Sabha leader in the district. That in the
process, public resources are so often used to
boost private profit, angers Mr. Gaikwad. "They
should instead be meeting people's basic water
needs."

Back in Bazargaon, sarpanch Yamunabai Uikey isn't
impressed either. Not by the Fun & Food Village.
Nor by other industries that have taken a lot but
given very little. "What is there in all this for
us," she wants to know. To get a standard
government water project for her village, the
panchayat has to bear 10 per cent of its cost.
That's around Rs.4.5 lakh. "How can we afford the
Rs.45,000? What is our condition?" So it's simply
been handed over to a contractor. This could see
the project built. But it will mean more costs in
the long run and less control for a village of so
many poor and landless people.

In the Park, Gandhi's portrait still smiles out
of the office as we leave. Seemingly at the
`Snowdome' across the parking lot. An odd fate
for the man who said: "Live simply, that others
might simply live."

_______

[6]

The Telegraph
June 22, 2005 | Editorial

ASSEMBLY TIME

What is common to government offices, cabinet
meetings and schools in Madhya Pradesh? They have
all been reduced to a levelling juvenility by Mr
Babulal Gaur. His government had ruled that from
July 1, all government employees, ministers and
students would have to congregate and sing Vande
Mataram on the first day of every month. This
would inspire them to not only patriotic feelings
but also punctuality, honesty and so on.
Government employees would also have to be in
some sort of uniform - back to school again -
together with badges displaying their names and
posts. There is a background to all this, which
goes back to Mr Gaur's predecessor, Ms Uma
Bharti. Ms Bharti, after enshrining the cow in
her state's economy, had set about declaring all
its pilgrimage spots "holy". This meant a ban on
the sale of eggs, meat, fish, alcohol, sex and
condoms in these towns. The sex-workers were
piqued, but the sadhus and mahants were
delighted. Mr Gaur then outdid her by declaring a
few more towns holy, and outlawing
"multi-national drinks" (Pepsi and Coke) as well,
in order to promote butter milk, lassi and
shrikhand in their place.

The state legal department has now pointed out to
Mr Gaur that it would be quite unconstitutional
to force people to sing religious or patriotic
songs and then punish them if they refused to do
so. There are Supreme Court and high court
rulings as well, which make such arbitrary
impositions illegal. Minority organizations,
civil rights groups, opposition members and women
who cannot bear to wear cheap printed sarees
supplied by the government have also added their
voices of protest. This, as some would remember,
is vintage Hindutva. Even the Bharatiya Janata
Party, in its current avatar, would consider this
sort of thing retrograde. When, in 1999, a "basic
education" minister in Uttar Pradesh made similar
noises about the same song, Mr L.K. Advani vetoed
him, against the wishes of some of his party
colleagues in the state. This minister was later
removed, but UP's latest basic education minister
has now vetoed sex education in the state's
schools, declaring condoms - which Ms Bharti and
the sadhus had once declared "evil" - bad for
children. With purity-enthusiasts like Ms Bharti,
Mr Gaur and these basic education ministers, the
BJP would need to work somewhat harder to
modernize its public image.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/