SACW | 1 June 2005

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Jun 1 03:04:16 CDT 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire  | 1 June,  2005

[1]  Thousands of Bangladeshis flee India's Assam (Biswajyoti Das)
[2]  India - Pakistan: We need a people's movement (Abid Hasan Minto)
[3]  Dual India-Pakistan citizenship? (Sandeep Pandey)
[4]  All India Secular Forum Newsletter May 2005-II
[5]  India: The Arbiters of Hindutva (Yoginder Sikand)
[6]  India: Letter to the Editor (Mukul Dube)
[7]  India: An English School For Katna (Syeda Hameed)
[8]  Announcements:
(i) May 2005 issue of Lines magazine

--------------

[1]

Boston Globe - May 19, 2005

Thousands of Bangladeshis flee India's Assam
By Biswajyoti Das  |  May 19, 2005
GUWAHATI, India (Reuters) - Thousands of
Bangladeshis have fled India's northeastern state
of Assam following threats by anonymous groups
against migrants and a campaign asking locals not
to employ foreigners, officials and residents
said.

The unidentified groups in the troubled state's
Dibrugarh district have circulated leaflets and
sent text messages on mobile phones in the past
week, warning Bangladeshi nationals to leave
immediately or face unspecified action.

Mobile phones in Assam are being flooded with
text messages saying, "Save the nation, save
identity. Let's take an oath ... no food, no job,
no shelter to Bangladeshis" while leaflets
seeking an "economic blockade" of the migrants
are also being distributed.

"Many labourers working in brick kilns, rickshaws
pullers and construction workers have fled in the
past one week due to the threat," said P.C.
Saloi, superintendent of police in Dibrugarh.

Over the years, hundreds of thousands of illegal
Bangladeshi migrants have swamped the tea-growing
and oil-rich state in search for work and food.

Over two years ago, the government estimated
there could be up to 20 million illegal
Bangladeshi immigrants in India, and labeled some
of them a security risk.

In the early 1980s, the powerful All Assam
Students Union launched a bloody campaign to push
Bangladeshis back to their homeland.

Thousands of Bangladeshis, including women and
children, were massacred across the state by
indigenous people who feared they would be
reduced to a minority in their own land.

The government and the students union signed a
pact in 1985, but clauses on the deportation of
foreigners have still not been implemented.

The campaign against the Bangladeshis has
mushroomed into a full-fledged uprising against
New Delhi's rule and many rebel groups are still
battling for independence.

BORDER FENCE

India has fenced parts of the 4,000-km
(2,500-mile) border with Bangladesh, but
officials say this has done little to deter
migrants bent on leaving one of the world's
poorest countries.

Assam shares a 272 km (169 mile) porous border
with Bangladesh, a vast stretch of which is
unfenced.

"Fencing along the border with Bangladesh in this
sector has started to prevent illegal
infiltration," said federal Home Secretary V.K.
Duggal.

"Legal and judicial measures have also been
adopted to deport illegal Bangladeshi settlers
from the country."

The lush paddy fields and the sandy, shifting
plains of the mighty Brahmaputra river that
divides the countries are natural transit routes.
Hundreds take rickety boats across the river,
which at some places is 15 km (9.5 miles) wide,
into India.

The migrants become farmhands or river fishermen
in villages. In towns they are often construction
workers or rickshaw pullers, and the women work
as maids.

Since the latest campaign against Bangladeshis
began, rickshaw pullers in Assam have gone off
the road, maids have stopped coming to work and
there is a shortage of eggs and chickens as most
vendors were Bangladeshi. Brick kilns have been
closed due to shortage of labor.

Though there are no officials figures of actual
numbers of Bangladeshis in Assam, locals say
their population could be six million of the
state's 26 million people.

"Every day around 6,000 illegal infiltrators
cross the border and enter the state," said an
intelligence official in Guwahati, the state's
main city.

Police said most of the fleeing Bangladeshi have
now moved to districts close to the border with
Bangladesh.

"The police have been put on maximum alert and
instructions have been given that no genuine
citizens are harassed and no communal clashes
take place in disturbed areas," said Rockybul
Hussain, Assam's minister for home (interior).

Magazine Section  | Dawn - May 29 2005

WE NEED A PEOPLE'S MOVEMENT

'Two things thrive on conflict between India and
Pakistan: religious fundamentalism and the
military. If this conflict is removed, it will be
easier to build a liberal democratic process in
our country,' says Abid Hasan Manto

ABID Hasan Manto, a lawyer by profession, is one
of the founders of the Pakistan India People's
Forum for Peace and Democracy, and a member of
its central committee. He is also the president
of the National Workers Party which was formed in
May 1999, coincidentally a few months before the
military takeover led by General Musharraf. The
following are excerpts from an interview
conducted recently with Mr Manto about the
current situation vis-a-vis Indo-Pak relations.
Q. A generation of Pakistanis has grown up
considering the India-Pakistan animosity as the
most natural state of being. What, in your view,
is the context of this hostility?
A: Between India and Pakistan there are certain
historical facts that must be kept in mind. To
begin with, the two major communities, that is,
the Hindus and the Muslims, over a period of
thousand years did not have an amiable
relationship at all. The Muslims originally came
as invaders, they plundered and returned. They
did not indulge in empire building at that time.
Later on, the Pathans and the Mughals came and
built an empire. For several centuries different
parts of India, which were overwhelmingly Hindu,
worked within an empire that was primarily
Muslim. There is no denial that during this
period the relationship between the Hindus and
the Muslims as the rulers and the ruled had
several ups and downs. Muslim rulers took some
steps that generated cordiality and the Sufis and
mystics interacted with the people of India in a
way that peace and harmony were also created. As
a result, to this day, non-Muslims also go to
Nizamud din Aulia and Hazrat Chishti's mazars. In
spite of all this the basic physical fact is that
the Muslims ruled over Hindustan for eight
hundred years. Against this background the people
who were working within the Hindu community for
its resurgence, using its religion and culture,
and the fact that the Muslims had subordinated
them, is not such an irrelevant thing. Now for
those building a Muslim identity on religion it
is easy to use this (Hindu resurgence) because it
has a historical foundation.
But the key issue is the difference between the
rulers and the ruled. Such differences exist
between the Muslims too. When the Arabs took over
Iran they kept a difference between 'Arabi' and
'Ajami' for centuries. The Iranian civilization
at that time was an advanced civilization.
Similarly, Indian civilization was also an
advanced one when the Muslims came here. Anyway,
the rulers had an impact on the local culture be
it Iran or India. But we should realize that in
spite of being Muslims the Arabi and Ajami
difference still exists to this day. So
establishing peace is not so easy because a lot
of prejudices exist for such a long time that it
is not possible to eradicate them at a stroke. In
fact, it is easy for the establishment to use
these differences when it wants.
In the Indo-Pak situation, we say we are
different from Indians, we have also made a
separate country and we feel that we are the
smaller country in this equation. At the back of
our minds is also our history that we were the
rulers and we ruled over a major chunk of the
world including India. This is similar in some
ways to the superiority that the British feel
even towards other Europeans in spite of peaceful
relations for many years. This is essential
background for us to remember: our relationship
with religion. We cannot separate our history of
having ruled the world from Spain to India from
religion's point of view. Certainly Islam had the
last big religious empire. So we are convinced of
the power flowing through religion, which may not
be as clear to others. In parts of the world
where modernism and industrialization have not
established themselves people are busy
establishing their identity on the basis of
religion.
Q. What role does industrialization play in this situation?
A: Historically, the Indian subcontinent has not
entered the modern era completely. We have not
entered the industrial and post-industrial era
completely. There are several reasons, going back
to the Mughal Empire with its own character, and
the colonization impact. Colonization forced a
distance from the development of society that
western societies gained. Western liberalism and
democracy were a result of the economic
industrialization in those countries. These
things complemented each other. Science and
technology helped bring down religious prejudices
etc. For them to talk about secularism and
liberalism is valid because it is part of their
historical tradition.
Our system is still largely feudal. In fact, to
the extent that India was able to progress in
industrialization and break down its feudal
structures, it is ahead of Pakistan. At the eve
of independence, India was at a different level
of trade and development and that helped the
democratic tradition in many ways. The
arbitrariness of feudal structures is reduced in
such a situation. The ruling, commercial elite
remains arbitrary in some ways, but because they
need to sell things, they need to establish some
kinds of relationships with a wider variety of
people in a host of different ways. This is what
happened in Europe and also in India to some
extent.
Another problem for us is that we got our country
by dividing the common struggle against the
British. We said 'we don't want the British,' but
that we're also against the Hindus. I don't want
to go into details of the justifications for this
but the fact remains that this is what we did.
This we started doing from 1940; before that we
were looking to resolve our issues within an
Indian confederation or union, whether through
Jinnah's 14 points or other means. In 1940, there
was a clear break. Although even in 1946 Jinnah
moved back on this too, and he accepted the
Cabinet Mission Plan, which would have meant a
united India. However, Congress did not accept
this plan for several reasons. Anyway, our entire
struggle for a separate state was six years old
and as a result it did not give birth to a mature
political leadership here. A long struggle for
their independence was the principal struggle
that Congress leaders had undergone. Mr Jinnah
was not wrong when he said he had 'khotay sikkay'
in his pocket. He could not find good leaders;
for instance, in Punjab he had to rely on Noon,
Sikander Hayat and Daultana, all feudals without
a history of struggle for independence.
Therefore, these leaders were not anti-empire
and, in fact, many had the seal of British
approval through titles such as sir etc. These
are again facts of our heritage so we need to
know them before we can judge the current
situation.
This is also why there was such a vacuum after
his death. The leadership later on was not of the
same level - intellectually, culturally or
politically. His own political grooming had been
during an Indian national struggle and he was
very different from the people around him
including Liaquat Ali. All of this also left its
impact on the political traditions on Pakistan.
This class had no interest in making a
constitution and delayed it constantly because
they were feudal rulers and felt no need for a
law or constitution. You can see how the change
in the class itself impacted our
constitution-making when a different class of
leaders from East Pakistan were in power briefly,
the constitution was finally made. The outdated
feudal Bengali leadership and our feudals could
not make this constitution.
Q. Kashmir plays a pivotal role in our
relationship with India, and to many Pakistanis
peace with India is tantamount to a sell-out on
the Kashmir issue.
A. The ML leadership had thought that Kashmir was
contiguous and predominantly Muslim. So of course
it would stay with us after partition. At the
same time we thought that Hyderabad, although not
contiguous with Pakistan, has a Muslim ruler so
he will accede to Pakistan. So we took a stand in
the middle about accepting the ruler's decision
as far as the princely states were concerned. We
did not at that time bargain for a poll or public
opinion. We may claim now that the Hindu raja was
pressurized by the Indian government, but our
stand now is weakened by our stance on partition.
The fact again is that war happened. Our desire
was always that Kashmir should be part of
Pakistan. In addition to religion there was the
issue of all our rivers originating from Kashmir.
A psyche was built up that Kashmir is ours and
India is occupying it by force. This disaster has
created perpetual conflict between India and
Pakistan. In fact, it has turned our state
apparatus into a security state; defend yourself
against India, which is three times larger than
our country. So our focus moved to security,
which meant building the army, and that required
money, which we did not have, so right from 1951
we looked to the US for money. We entered various
defence pacts with the US and in the cold war
context the India-Pak conflict was solidified.
Q. There have been, however, other episodes of
improved relationship between India and Pakistan.
Take the example of the '50s cricket matches in
Pakistan when the borders were opened. Why didn't
they last for long?
A. In 1953, there was a cricket match and the
borders were opened. There was a general exchange
at all levels. I was studying at the Law College
at the time, and I took the Punjab University
debating team to different cities in India. They
welcomed us warmly and we met Nehru. Ghazanfar
Ali was the High Commissioner in India at that
time and he took several initiatives. And then
their teams came and we looked after them here.
But this ended quite soon because Pakistan became
an active participant in the cold war on the US
side. We entered various defence pacts that also
bolstered the role of our army in Pakistan's
decision-making. India, with a generally
non-aligned but largely pro-Soviet stance, was in
the other camp. As I said, our conflict was
solidified because of the cold war context. The
Kashmir conflict continued in spite of
negotiations and Nehru's visit. All the politics
here was being conducted on the basis of
establishing India as the key enemy.
However, today's situation does not parallel
those previous incidents of peace building. In
part, this is because of the realization now that
we have tried the path of hostility and it is not
going to work. We have realized that the Security
Council resolutions are of no use. The
institution that makes these resolutions can and
will not implement them. We have also realized
now that we cannot win Kashmir over form India.
We can create disturbance, but we cannot win it
over in war. But the right to create disturbance
is no longer given to any country other than
America today. So in this context, there has been
a withdrawal from jihadi politics. It is the age
of economics and trade. It is now impossible for
us to not trade with our neighbour rather than
somebody 2,000 miles away. This will happen
inevitably although we will go through certain
ups and downs.
There have been other experiences as well. For
instance, now there is a clearer understanding
among the people that the US has time and again
used us, and dropped us when a relationship is no
longer in their interest - for example, after the
Afghan war. Although admittedly the predominant
impression in our ruling class is still that
being with the Americans is important. But one
thing that everyone realizes is that
international conditions have changed. Our
so-called friend America is itself saying we need
to build peace with India, and so is China. These
pressures are not just for India and Pakistan.
This is an international scenario in
globalization in which economic integration
requires free access to people and nations for
corporate interests.
Q. How is this US or corporate interest-sponsored
peace likely to affect its sustainability?
A. We need to be aware that the ruling elite in
both Pakistan and India is overwhelmingly part of
US global plans. All this peace is to make it a
part of that global economic system, which is
another form of colonial extension. Certainly, we
cannot stay away completely from the global
economic system, but how can we decrease or
change the impact? Our party's analysis has been
that we need regional arrangements. We have had
this analysis since the fall of the Soviet Union
and when such notions were not particularly
fashionable. In the case of South Asia, Saarc
should be converted into a massive ground for
trade and economics rather than just striking
conversations. Then various other groupings can
be pursued like Saarc and the Middle East, Saarc
and Central Asia etc. Some of these regional
groupings are already emerging and the US is not
happy with all of them. For example, they are in
competition with the European Union. Even now
they do not want the gas coming from Iran to go
from Pakistan to India. They are pressurizing us
to leave Iran and take the gas from Turkmenistan,
where the Americans have military bases.
We are not pursuing a radical agenda at this
point. We need to get beyond our archaic feudal
structures, build our industry, promote equitable
trade, and all this is not possible without peace
with regional players.
Therefore, we need to consciously pick up the
issue and build a people's movement. We do not
want to become a pawn in the hands of MNC
globalization. As far as possible we want to
benefit from globalization, which is not possible
on IMF and WB conditions. A people's movement is
necessary to pressurize the government in the
right direction.
In India, for instance, a Common Minimum
Programme has been agreed between the left
parties and Congress to decide how much inclusion
in the globalization process, how much
privatization etc. are they willing to work
towards. For us it is problematic because such a
movement is weak in our country. The situation is
such that the mainstream political parties are
looking for employment with the US. Instead of
mobilizing the people these parties put in an
application to the Americans to impose democracy
in our country. Corporate globalization will have
an impact on our industry, including textile,
which will obviously have an impact on farmers
and cotton crops. The rich countries insist that
we cannot provide subsidies to our farmers while
they continue to subsidize theirs. And then we
are expected to compete with their farmers. This
effect on the rural economy has a direct bearing
on the urban economy. At its most basic
unemployment in rural areas translates into
migration to cities creating greater pressure on
urban structures. Here, with privatizations in
cities we can see further unemployment, lack of
social legislation etc. Even our traditional
economists are beginning to realize these
problems.
In Pakistan two things thrive on conflict between
India and Pakistan: religious fundamentalism and
the military. If this conflict is removed it will
be easier to build a liberal democratic process
in our country. A people's movement on the lines
of, with some changes, Latin America is what we
need in South Asia. Brazil and Venezuela are not
cutting off the world but want to exert control
on their resources and decisions.
- Humeira Iqtidar

_______

[3]

Daily Star
May 31, 2005

DUAL INDIA-PAKISTAN CITIZENSHIP?
Dr Sandeep Pandey

We are grateful to the Pakistani government for
allowing us to enter Pakistan and symbolically
complete the India Pakistan Peace March scheduled
from Delhi to Multan between March 23 and May 11,
but regret that we were not given permission to
walk within Pakistan. The only consolation is
that we reached Multan on the scheduled date,
which was not looking possible at one point
because of bureaucratic hurdles.

The highlight of the Multan event was the
presence of both Shah Mahmood Hussain Qureshi,
the Sajjada Nashin of the Dargah of Bahauddin
Zakaria in Multan where our March ended and Nazim
Syed Ali Shah Nizami, the Gaddi Nashin of the
Dargah of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya in Delhi from
where the march began.

The march was meant to carry the message of Sufi
saints and we accomplished our objective to a
large extent. The response from people on both
sides of the border was overwhelming. The signs
are very clear. The people of India and Pakistan
are for peace and friendship and they blame their
governments for not giving it to them.

The people of India and Pakistan are anxious to
meet each other as no other two communities of
people around the globe. The governments of India
and Pakistan have made it so difficult for the
two people to meet as probably nowhere in the
world. A very complicated travel restriction
regime exists between India and Pakistan. Some of
the restrictions are beyond the comprehension of
common people.

For example, why does one need the permission of
one's Home Ministry to cross the Wagha border on
foot if the other country has granted a visa?
This permission is not needed when you're
crossing over from one country into the other by
any other means -- air, rail, or bus. Hence, if
you cross the same border on Delhi-Lahore bus
service then you don't need the permission from
the Home Ministry.

There is also a rule which mandates a group of a
minimum of four to cross the border on foot. Most
of the common Indian and Pakistani citizens are
neither terrorists nor criminals, but they are
required to report daily to the police if they
are in the other country. It is funny that during
our stay in Pakistan a police squad was
continuously accompanying us and they had minute
to minute knowledge about our movement but still
our friends Saeeda Diep or Shabnam Rashid had to
waste a couple of hours every day to carry our
passports to the police headquarters. One has to
use the same means to return that one used to
enter the other country. There is a senseless
strictness about port of entry.

Most importantly, you cannot go into the other
country unless you have a relative or an
invitation. The Pakistani High Commission in
Delhi had refused to entertain our visa
applications until our names were cleared by the
Interior Ministry in Islamabad, which meant that
unless we had influential friends in Pakistan it
was virtually impossible for us to enter Pakistan.

And we had to go through all this after Pervez
Musharraf's recent trip to New Delhi where the
two governments had talked about increasing
people to people contact and making the borders
softer! The bureaucracy on the two sides is still
not willing to acknowledge the changing realities
between the two countries. It wants to maintain
its hold over people and create all possible
obstacles in the path of people wanting to go to
the other country.

Only twelve of us had got the nod of the
Pakistani Interior Ministry to enter Pakistan.
About ten times more people who wished to
accompany this march into Pakistan were
disappointed. A close friend Vinish Gupta, who
left his Ph.D. programme at IIT Delhi to become a
Buddhist Monk and presently lives in Sarnath,
wanted to come to Pakistan to see his ancestral
home in Lahore which houses Habib Bank today. His
grandmother would have been most happy if he
could have brought photographs of this home back
with him.

However, Tenzin, as he is now known, was not
given the opportunity by the Pakistani Interior
Ministry to fulfill even as small a wish as this.
The great Gautam Buddha had said that desrire is
the source of pain. Tenzin has learnt this the
hard way. However, what right the bureaucracies
on the two sides, who themselves are not
accountable to anybody, have to deny even simple
freedom to the people to travel and meet people
they wish to on the other side?

Even though we're demanding a complete doing away
with of the passport-visa regime for travel
between India and Pakistan, the common sentiment
that was expressed by people along our route was
that the two governments must grant visas on
arrival at the border. The governments of India
and Pakistan can do it if they want to. They have
to merely demonstrate the political will as they
did when they started the Delhi-Lahore bus
service, implemented the cease fire agreement,
allowed over 5,000 people to cross over to watch
a cricket match and most importantly, against all
odds, introduced the Muzaffarabad-Srinagar bus
service.

In fact, it would be a very novel idea for India
and Pakistan to allow granting dual citizenship
to people of the other country who wish to apply
for it. There would be a number of Pakistanis
willing to obtain Indian citizenship too and
similarly a number of Indian citizens willing to
obtain Pakistani citizenship too if given the
choice.

This would be the surest way to get rid of
distrust between the people of two countries
which exists because of sustained propaganda on
both sides against the other country and its
people. It would also make life easier for a
number of us who wish to frequently travel to
Pakistan to meet friends and attend events and
have to go through the tedious process of getting
approval of Interior Ministry of Pakistan every
time.

And till the day of our departure we're not sure
whether the Indian Home Ministry would allow us
to cross the Wagha border on foot, even though we
might have the visa from the Pakistani
government. No governments possibly treat their
citizens in such a disrespectful manner as the
governments of India and Pakistan when it comes
to traveling between the two countries. Why
should the citizens of the two countries be
subjected to this shoddy treatment by their
governments?

Dr Pandey is a social activist and recipient of
the Ramon Magsaysay Award for the year 2002. He
has been on the engineering faculties of IIT
Kanpur and Princeton University and founded ASHA
For Education Trust in 1991.
Crossing the Wagha border.

_______

[4]

All India Secular Forum Newsletter May 2005-II

While we witnessed the increase in the number of
communal incidents in Rajasthan and against Christian
missionaries, the law to curb communal violence came
more as a set back rather than a relief. There is a
demand that the guilty be punished after every
incident of violence. But as per the present state of
things most of those organizing violence or taking
part in violence get away without any punishment. It
is this light that measures have been demanded by
human rights groups to curb this process. UPA Govt
came up with a law for discussion, in this direction.
As it turns out this law gives immense powers to
authorities, without asking for the answerability.

It is in this light that CSSS organized one day
consultation to oppose the implementation of this
bill. Following was the resolution passed unanimously
at this meeting attended by activists and legal
luminaries.

A group of activists, lawyers and police officers met
in Delhi on 18th May 2005 to discuss the government
draft of the Communal Violence (Suppression) Bill,
2005.  After careful consideration of the proposed
Bill, the meeting was entirely unanimous that the
draft was entirely unsatisfactory and even dangerous,
the solution being worst than the disease.  We believe
that the government does not lack sufficient powers
even under the existing laws to prevent and control
communal violence.  The new law only adds draconian
powers to the state and the armed forces in communal
situations, which experience shows tends to be used
most against minorities and marginalized groups.
The meeting endorsed the view of the former
Chairperson of the NHRC, Justice Verma, that the Bill
should be restricted to ensuring accountability of
state and central governments and reparation and
rehabilitation according to accepted international
covenants.

More such meetings are in the offing in different
places. There is a need to build up pressure against
this bill.

The improvement in the Indo Pak relations is most
heartening phenomenon which is taking place slowly but
consistently. The Maharashtra Chapter of Pak India
Peopleís Forum for Peace and Democracy has organised a
meeting from 10th June in Pune. Those interested may
contact-desaijatin at yahoo.co.uk

Ram Puniyani
(Editor)

--
Resources- ìModi-fied Justice and Rule of lawî-The
case of Best bakery, with Introduction by Rajeev

Outlookindia.com
Web | May 31, 2005

THE ARBITERS OF HINDUTVA
'It is for Hindu religious leaders and social
reformers to talk on the religion,' and not a
'declared non-believer' Karunanidhi, argues RSS
mounthpiece Organiser. Why, then, does it present
itself as a saviour of Muslim women from the
'tyranny' of 'obscurantist' and 'barbaric' Islam?

Yoginder Sikand

The irony cannot be more striking. Known for
their fierce opposition to reforms in Hindu law
that sought to ameliorate the conditions of Hindu
women, Hindutva groups present themselves as
ardent champions of Muslim women. The image of
Muslim women as oppressed by their men and their
religion is central to Hindutva discourse,
buttressing their claim of Islam and Muslims
being inherently and unrepentantly 'obscurantist'
and 'barbaric'. This explains the hypocritical
defence by Hindutva ideologues of Muslim women's
rights, while at the same time the pogroms they
unleash lead to the death and rape of Muslim
women.

While Hindutva ideologues present themselves as
saviours of Muslim women from what they describe
as the 'tyranny' of Islam, they are fiercely
opposed to any measures that might threaten
Brahminical Hindu patriarchy. Thus, the cover
story of the last issue of Organiser, the RSS'
official English weekly, protesting against a
move to reform Hindu marriage, should come as no
surprise. Titled, 'A Mischievous Proposal to
Tinker With Hindu Faith', and written by a
certain R. Balashankar, the article furiously
denounces the proposal put forward by the Tamil
politician, M. Karunanidhi,  leader of the
anti-Brahmin Dravida Munnetra Kazhagham, to allow
for 'self-respect' marriages that do without a
mandatory priest, who is generally a Brahmin.

The article refers to a letter sent recently by
Karunanidhi to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
demanding an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act,
1955 in order to legalise, at the all-India
level, marriages without a priest. Presently,
such marriages are recognized only in Tamil Nadu.
This demand has been a long-standing one, and was
first put forward by E.V.Periyar Ramaswamy
Naicker, the pioneer of the anti-Brahmin movement
in Tamil Nadu. Periyar was a bitter critic of
Brahminical Hinduism, seeing it as a
thinly-veiled guise for Aryan, North Indian,
'upper' caste Hindu hegemony. He regarded
Hinduism as a creation of 'wily Brahmins' to
assert their control over the 'low' caste
majority whom they had reduced to servitude. He
believed that the non-Brahmins could effectively
challenge Brahmin hegemony only if they developed
a sense of self-respect and refused to consider
the Brahmins as 'gods on earth', a status that
the Brahmins claimed for themselves.

As part of the comprehensive plan  for cultural
revolution that Periyar laid out, non-Brahmins
would dispense completely with Brahmins to
officiate over their religious and social
functions. In particular, the use of Brahmins to
conduct the marriage of Hindu couples was to be
strictly avoided. In this way, non-Brahmins would
be able to assert their equality with the
Brahmins and would, at the same time, be saved
from paying the Brahmins the hefty fees that they
charged as ritual specialists.

In place of Brahmin-officiated marriage
ceremonies, Periyar launched what he called
'self-respect' marriages, which were conducted
without any priest at all. Unlike the Brahminical
marriage, in which the bride is explicitly
recognized as subordinate to the husband and is
given away as a commodity to him,  the
'self-respect' marriage was an egalitarian one.
In contrast to the Brahminical marriage, the
'self-respect' marriage did not entail any dowry.

That the RSS, and the Hindutva brigade as a
whole, are simply a new face of Brahminism is
well-known. Little wonder, then, that the
Organiser spies in Karunanidhi's proposal for
state recognition of 'self-respect' marriages
throughout India a conspiracy to 'meddle with
Hindu religion', going so far as to denounce it
as 'promot[ing] atheism by deritualising and
de-Hinduising Hindu marriages'. Clearly, it
recognizes that marriages that dispense with
Hindu priests, mostly Brahmins, are a potent
challenge to Brahminism.

It is, however, careful not to register its
protest in a way that reveals its own Brahminical
agenda. Instead, it denounces such marriages as
'anti-Hindu', as 'intimidation of Hindu
religion', and as calculate to 'to spite the
religious sentiments of the Hindu majority'. The
fact that the vast majority of 'Hindus' are
non-Brahmins, who might well believe that they
are equally capable as Brahmins to conduct their
own marriages, is, of course, ignored. So, too,
is  the fact that many Dalit castes and Tribals,
whom the RSS seeks to include within the 'Hindu'
fold in order to augment 'Hindu' numbers,
continue to conduct their marriage ceremonies
without Brahmin priests and dispensing with
Brahminical ceremonies.

Any critique of Brahminism, therefore, is
interpreted as an attack on Hinduism as such by
the RSS. Any move that might challenge the
hegemony of the Brahmin minority or make a dent
in the citadel of Brahminism is presented as an
attack on the 'Hindu majority' and 'Hinduism',
even if such moves as 'self respect' marriages
might work in favour of the non-Brahmin majority.

As defenders of Brahminical or 'upper' caste
privilege, Hindutva ideologues see every issue
from the point of view of the Brahminical elites.
Hence, the reasonableness of Karunanidhi's demand
is completely dismissed, without any recognition
of the fact that it might well help the majority
of the 'Hindus', who are from the oppressed
castes, victims of Brahminism. The Organiser sees
no merit in the proposal at all, and, instead,
makes the ridiculous suggestion that it might be
a communist-inspired conspiracy to 'wean away
Hindu youth from the fold of family and religion
and make them tools of atheist, anti-Hindu
tirade'.

The Organiser ends its vehement denunciation of
Karunanidhi's proposal with by insisting that,
'as a declared non-believer, Karunanidhi and the
[sic.] likes have no right to talk on Hindu
religious affairs'. 'It is for Hindu religious
leaders and social reformers to talk on the
religion', it insists. If that is the case, then
why, one must ask, do the Hindutva-walas appear
to take such an inordinate interest in the
'plight' of Muslim women? If non-Hindus and
self-declared non-believers have no right to talk
about Hindu religious matters, what gives the RSS
and its affiliates in the Hindutva camp the right
to talk about Islam and shed crocodile tears over
the 'oppression' of Muslim women?

It is striking how, despite their visceral hatred
of each other, Muslim and Hindu fundamentalists
think alike on a range of issues. Both speak of
religious identity as a monolith, conveniently
ignoring the obvious fact that the interests of
the elites they champion have little in common
with those of the poor.

On the issue of gender, too, both are firm
upholders of patriarchal privilege. Like their
counterparts among the Muslim clerics, the
Hindutva-walas see patriarchal control as
essential to their vision of religion, and hence
any step that threatens to challenge it is
regarded as a sinister anti-religious plot, as
the Organiser's furious reaction to Karunanidhi's
sensible and very welcome proposal  makes amply
clear.

D-504 Purvasha
Mayur Vihar 1
Delhi 110091

The *Hindu* of 30 May reports Shri Lal Kishenchand Advani
as having said, "We have been discharging our duties as
people's representatives ... outside Parliament" and
also that "we have capable leaders in the second generation,
even more capable than me." Why do not this epitome of
modesty and his capable young followers resign their
parliamentary seats and do their fine work on the foot-
path, the election to which is what they really fought and
won?

Mukul Dube

The Telegraph
June 01, 2005

AN ENGLISH SCHOOL FOR KATNA

A combination of grit and resourcefulness enabled
Jugnu Ramaswamy to set up a school in the middle
of nowhere, writes Syeda Hameed

Dream come true
Jugnu Ramaswamy had started Jagriti School in
1990 to educate Delhi's street children. Under
the aegis of Street Survivors India, the school,
located in Delhi's Motia Khan slum in Paharganj,
began in 1990, and grew from some 30 children to
over 500 students. During the 12 years of its
existence, it transformed the lives of slum,
street and railway-station children. In 2002, the
Delhi government, reclaiming valuable commercial
space, demolished Motia Khan. Along with it the
school too became debris. On June 24, 2002, Jugnu