SACW | 6-7 March 2005

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Mar 6 17:34:52 CST 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire   | 6-7 March,  2005
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan: Acquittals in the Mukhtran Mai rape
case - Press Release - by NGO's and rights groups
[2] Jammu and Kashmir: Prejudices In Paradise -
Manipulated and over-politicized history  (Gul
Mohammad Wani)
[3]  India: RSS In Action In Rajasthan (Nalini Taneja)
[4]  India: Letter to the Editor re -report:
"Communal harmony bill to tackle rioters ..
(Mukul Dube)
[5]  Excerpts and Book Reviews:
(i)  Excerpts: "Women on the peace front" by Ritu
Menon in: Peace Work: Women, Armed Conflict and
Negotiation By Radhika Coomaraswamy & Dilrukshi
Fonseka
(ii)  Book Review:  'The Perfidies of Power' by P Radhakrishnan  (M Rama Rao)
[6]  Announcements:
(i)  "SAKHIRI" an electro acoustic performance, crossing genders and mixing
sounds, images, video and poetry in music.
(Bangalore - Pune - Bombay | 19, 24 March ; 1-2
April, 2005)
(ii) Upcoming lecture: 'Fundamentalism and the
Seductions of Virtue: Politics, Absolutism and
South Asia' by Dr Chetan Bhatt (London, 14 March)
(iii) INSAF Bulletin [35]   March 1, 2005
(iv) Saffron Dollar - January-February 2005
(v) Radiation Monitoring Around Madras Atomic
Power Station [An independent investigation]
by VT Padmanabhan and NP Nakul (@ South Asians Against Nukes | March 5, 2005)

--------------

[1]  [PAKISTAN: ACQUITTALS IN THE MUKHTRAN MAI
RAPE CASE - PRESS RELEASE - BY NGO'S AND RIGHTS
GROUPS]

PRESS RELEASE

Islamabad (5th March 2005)

The Lahore High Court decision to acquit five of
the accused in the gangrape case of Mukhtaran Mai
has sent shock waves over the entire country.
Human rights organizations and activists in
Pakistan are stunned over the decision of the
high court and wonder about the meaning of
justice in the country. Despite the wide coverage
of the crime committed against her nationally and
internationally, the recent verdict has shattered
her confidence in the criminal justice system.

We, salute Mukharan's courage and bravery to
fight for her rights. She has become a symbol of
strength, pride and honor for all of us. Despite
the heinous crime committed against her she rises
not only to claim her own right to live
honorably, she has also been working hard to
improve the lives of girls and boys in her
village by starting and successfully running
schools for them. We would like to express our
resolve that we will stand by her and would not
let the system to let her down once again

We would like to inform the media that on our
request, Chaudhary Etizaz Ahsen has very kindly
consented to be her lawyer. He will file her case
and will represent her in the Supreme Court.

We would like to share our concern over the
physical and mental safety and security of
Mukhtaran while five out of six convicted are
released now who could potentially threaten her
life in her own village. Therefore we demand that
the government should immediately issue orders
under the preventive dentention law and detain
them.

We appeal to the press and electronic media
community to keep her case alive, otherwise
justice may not be dispensed in her case as she
is fighting a battle against the most influential
people of her community. We should all ensure
that she is not left alone in her struggle.

We believe one of the main reasons for increasing
incidence of violence against women is the fact
that the persons guilty of assaulting women are
hardly punished. Legal provisions such as Qisas
and Diyat and male biases in the judiciary and
law enforcement agencies work against women and
deny them justice when crimes are committed
against them. We demand that all discriminatory
legislation should immediately be removed from
our statute book and a gender based system of
monitoring and assessing the performance of
judiciary and law enforcement agencies should be
developed and implemented.

This is a joint statement by Pattan Development
Organization, Action Aid, Aurat Foundation,
Bedari, Human Rights Commission of Pakistan
(HRCP), Islamabad Rozgar Mahaz, PODA, Progressive
Women Association, Rozan, Sachet, Sach,
Sustainable Devlopment Policy Institute, Sungi
Development Foundation, Women Action Forum (WAF),
International Human Rights Volunteers,
Strengthening Participatory Organization, UKS
research centre and IWWA.

Kashmir Times - 6 March 2005

PREJUDICES IN PARADISE
Manipulated and over-politicized history

Dr. Gul Mohammad Wani

In her bold and path-breaking style Anuradha
Bhasin Jamwal has exposed the limits of "abnormal
history" in her three-piece article in Kashmir
Times February (2,3,4,2005) entitled, "Prejudice
in Paradise. A baggage of distorted histories and
divisive myths have made the Kashmir conflict
messier, murkier" She is essentially making a
case for peoples history so that lies and
distortions in official and elitist accounts are
done away with.
Some of the points that I shall discuss are in
reality complementary to what Anuradha makes us
to understand. First, there is a greater scope
now than at any time in the history of the
sub-continent that a peoples history be recorded
notwithstanding some laudable attempts made so
far in this direction by some scholars. Partition
which Aloke Bhalla believes is so deeply branded
in our souls is now increasingly being seen as
"division of hearts", as what Urvashi Butalia
believes as the experience of "human beings, real
flesh and blood figures". It is important that
opening of the Srinagar Muzzafarabad road is
being looked as reunion of divided families.
In much of what has happened in Jammu and Kashmir
in 1947 and after peoples perspective has not
been sufficiently explored. It is tragic that in
1947 Maharaja of Kashmir as quoted by Anuradha,
"set upon a course of action whereby 237,000
Muslims were systematically exterminated". She
has also on basis of solid evidence proved that
there was a state sponsored bid to change
demographics in 1947. Contrary to it in the
valley of Kashmir top level political leadership
led by Sheikh Mohammad Abduallah ensured that
Hindus in the Kashmir valley remain safe. Granted
that as Sisir Gupta wrote in his book, "Kashmir:
A study in India Pakistan Relations" that,
"Communal feeling was always strong in Jammu
thanks to its proximity to the Punjab", there is
still a case for looking into what would have
been the Jammu behaviour towards Muslims had
there been no instigation at the top.
In the post 1947 period manipulations of various
hues continued from the top. The Praj Parishad
agitation in Jammu got its support not only from
S.P. Mukherjee and Sardar Patel but also from
Achrya Kriplani. Sheikh Abdullah believed that,
"Nehru and Mulana Azad were interested in the
preposition but did not agree with the strategy".
About the transfer of power and impact of land
reforms on new political alignments, Sisir Gupta
writes, "the outlook of the feudal Dogra Rajputs
was historically imperialist in regard to
Kashmir. The ruling dynasty had created a social
base for it self in Jammu and a large number of
people were dependent upon it socially and
economically. A large concentration grew up which
reduced the cultivator to the status of serfdom.
There were also the moneylenders who bled the
villagers, increasing their backwardness and
economic dependence. Consequently any tilting of
the balance was bound to produce passionate
resistance from them".
The point to be noted is that the charges on
which Praj Parishad agitation was organized viz.
that there had been totalitarianism under Sheikh
Abdullah after 1948, that civil liberties had
been attacked, that steps had been taken towards
the creation of an independent Kashmir etc., were
having the same impact on Kashmir as on Jammu.
Further as Shyma Prashad Mukherjee said that the
whole agitation was based on doubts and
suspicions lends support to the argument that but
for the politics of vested interests Jammu and
Kashmir would have stabilized as normal limbs of
the body politic with the growth of modern
democratic institutions. Moreover, drifting away
of Jammu would not have given the excuse to
successive central government to manipulate the
politics of the State.
Years later in 1986 the peoples perspective of
the events when some temples were damaged in
Anantnag District of Kashmir valley was overtaken
by official-cum-elitist exaggeration of the event.
The second important issue raised by Anuradha is
how central government policies have contributed
to the crisis of leadership in Kashmir. She
writes: "it was obvious that New Delhi could not
implicitly trust any leader with a mass following
in Kashmir, especially if he questioned the
policies and actions of New Delhi". This trend
was set in motion in 1953 when Sheikh Mohammad
Abdullah demonstrated his "Kashmir First"
preference in his policies and programmes. There
can be no greater tribute to Late Syed Mir Qasim
than to account his views about this particular
issue. He writes in his "My life and Times": "I
must inform my readers that whenever New Delhi
feels a leader in Kashmir getting too big for his
shoes, it employs Machiavellian methods to cut
him to size". He further writes, "walk has always
been out of question, crawl you try to scuttle.
You expect the leadership here to remain always
in the cradle. When you apprehend 'Crawl'
immediately ropes that the center holds are cut".
Syed Mir Qasim lamented. "I was asked to quit in
national interest and I thought the center,
particularly Indraji was sincere in mending
fences with Sheikh Sahib. But I was wrong.
Withdrawal of support to his government in 1977
perhaps is much more outrageous. Today I am
repenting. We should have not stabbed once again
the great legendary of our time". The central
manipulations latter convinced Dr. Farooq
Abdullah, particularly after his dismissal in
1984, about a hard political reality that, "If I
want to implement programmes to fight poverty and
run a government, I will have to stay on the
right side of the center. Farooq had decided to
accept that Kashmir's right to a modicum of
representative government was conditional on the
whims and agenda of all powerful New Delhi
authorities".
The crisis in leadership in Kashmir has deepened
over the years. The emerging leadership pattern
in Kashmir both in mainstream and separatist
camps is one of fragmentation along with mushroom
growth of leaders. One may argue that growth of
democratic and participatory politics has
resulted in fragmentation of party system in
India in general but one fails to understand as
to how in the absence of normal, open competitive
politics, party system and leadership pattern has
developed fissures in Kashmir. I was recently
told by a Jammu University academic that Kashmir
may go the Jammu way as far as leadership pattern
is concerned. He believed that after 1947 there
was a crisis of leadership in the Jammu region to
match that of Kashmir. The crisis in the
leadership in Kashmir over the years has revealed
as to how the state-backed counter insurgents are
in a race to attract legitimacy in the valley.
Gautum Navlakha wrote in EPW on July 20, 1996
that, "encouraged by State administration, army
and a section of the Indian National press these
so-called reformed militants formed political
parties and put up candidates for the elections.
Kukka Parray was projected by the official media
as the next hope of Kashmir". Earlier another
counter insurgent Pappa Kishtawari told K.
Balagopal of Andhra Pradesh civil liberties
committee with embarrassing innocence that "it is
my gun that will make democracy possible in
Kashmir".
The quality of political leadership in Kashmir is
another issue which should engage the attention
of concerned people. The internationally renowned
historian Paul Kennedy identified education, role
of women and quality of political leadership as
the three determinants of success in 1993 for
21st century. History is repeating itself in
Kashmir at least thrice as far as division of the
society in two hostile compartments is concerned.
The first division between Muslim Conference and
National Conference, second between Plebiscite
Front politics and that of puppet-regime
politics, and third between mainstream and
Hurriyat Politics. Kashmir's salvation
essentially lies in a more cohesive pragmatic and
futuristic leadership.
The third and the very important issue
extensively examined by Anuradha is that of
Kashmiri pandits. The issue has assumed
criticality not only because their migration is
interpreted as virtual split of Kashmiri identity
but also because what L. K. Advani lately told
Kashmiri Samiti a nodal agency for displaced
pandits that: one of the main benchmarks of
restoration of normalcy in Jammu and Kashmir
besides end of violence and good India-Pak ties
is restoration of secular fabric of the state.
That would happen when the pandits return to the
state". Although at one time L. K. Advani
referred to major role played by issues of
Ayodha, Kashmir and Swadeshi: in extending
Party's social base and consolidating its popular
support". Anuradha has a point while she refers
to "Baramulla" affair as being central to Kashmir
Pandit mythology about Kashmir and its likely
impact on shaping the psyche of the Kashmiri
Pandits in years to come" but she has somehow not
taken into account as to how the psyche of
Kashmiri Muslims was shaped by "Parmashwari"
episode wherein in the words of Syed Mir Qasim
"Pandits lost the confidence of majority
community".
There are several issues, which need fuller
exploration as far as identity, politics and
future of Kashmiri Pandits is concerned and all
these should factor in any attempt at recovering
the lost social capital in Jammu and Kashmir
State. First. Kashmiri Pandits and Muslims share
a common ethnicity and language. They differ only
in religion, politics and historically in class.
However, it is only politics which has as in past
so at present created the wedge among the two
communities. The distance became visible during
the period of freedom movement between 1920 and
1947. With the exception of few, the majority of
pandits were indifferent to the political
movement and opposed it. They perceived the
movement to be aimed against their interests. The
power structure evolved in the aftermath of Dogra
takeover of Kashmir in 1846 saw Kashmiri Pandits
into state bureaucracy, and along with the Dogra
Hindus gained much of the "Choice agricultural
lands". In the post 1947 period though some
pandit leaders viz., D.P Dhar, P.N. Bazaz and
R.C. Raina supported land reforms - the community
as a whole perceived the politico-economic change
to the advantage of Muslims and against their
interests.
Kashmiri Pandits since 1947 have generally been
Congress supporters mainly because of Pandit
Nehru. But congress party in the eyes of Muslims
was primarily responsible for erosion of
'Kashmirayat'. It is revealing that one of the
founders of congress party in Kashmir Syed Mir
Qasim confessed that congress party became a
"conduit for the flow of all country's political
dirt into Kashmir". Though many pandits were
involved in mainstream politics, some were very
active in National Conference, while a few were
involved in the separatist Plebiscite Front and
also took part in State People's Convention
convened by Shiekh Abdullah in 1968 for finding a
durable solution to Kashmir problem. Further,
politico-economic empowerment of Muslims due to
land reforms and free education resulted in the
emergence of Muslim middle class thereby
generating more pressure on the resource base of
the state, and increasing competition among the
communities.
Second, 70's and early 80's saw increased strain
in the inter-community relations in Kashmir. Both
communities were for different reasons reeling
under a minority syndrome. Increased competition
and control of government jobs sharpened the
communal consciousness. While pandits felt
dispossession and blamed the Muslims and state
government for that. The Muslims on the other
hand found pandits as disproportionately dominant
on the political chessboard of Kashmir. Even the
Shimla Agreement came to be interpreted as
agreement between Pakistan and Pandits (Indira
Gandhi, P.N. Haksar, T.N. Koul and P. N. Dhar,
all pandits present during Shimla talks from
Indian side).
Third, while after their migration Pandits have
felt a renewed sense of their identity there is
very little inter-community introspection on how
bridges of understanding can be build up between
the communities. Kashmiri pandits who have
developed their own indigenous philosophies and
created their own traditions started identifying
themselves with larger Hindu-religious majority
of India. It is unfortunate that in much of
Pandit literature generated after the migration
pandits are referred as Kashmiri Hindus. Earlier
regional rather than religious qualities were the
salient components of identity but now it is
other way round.
Fourth, one wonders in retrospect as to why
pandits being an intellectual community did not
take head on the happenings at Anantnag in 1986
and did not ask for a probe into it, when some
temples were damaged. After all some people in
Jammu fought for probing the 1989 anti-Sikh
riots-and lately the report of the enquiry
commission has been submitted to the state
government.
In retrospect it is important to know that how
manipulations from the top have also resulted in
straining the relations between the Pandits and
Muslims. About the Anantnag episode one of the
separatist leaders Yasin Malik writes in his book
"Our Real Crime", "a rumour was spread in Kashmir
that a riot has broken out in Jammu and hundreds
of Kashmiris have been either murdered or injured
by a particular community at Jammu. The rumour
was spread from the area which was at that time
the constituency and native land of then
president of Pradesh Congress Committee, Mufti
Mohd Syed. As already mentioned the people of
Kashmir are prone to rumours. Therefore, people
felt to it and became restless and anxious to
know about the welfare of their near and dear
ones. This passion of people was exploited by
vested interests and few minor and stray
incidents occurred which were led by congressmen.
Active workers were participating in immoral acts
wherein some temples were subjected to stoning
but due to inheritance of synthesized and
harmonious identity, people smelt rat before it
went out of bag. The incidents were restricted to
Anantnag and Sopore (Area were Gh. Rasool Kar,
President of Congress has his hold)". A good will
team led by Balraj Puri found that at many places
in Anantnag while "accusing fingers were raised
against some members of secular parties, we found
no evidence of the involvement of the
Jamait-i-Islam". The Anantnag happenings later
conditioned and shaped the mind-sets of people of
both communities in various ways.
Fifth, the Anantnag fall out years after
automatically gave credence to the conspiracy
theory that Kashmiri Pandits were deliberately
removed from the valley by the Indian government
who wanted a free hand to deal with Kashmiri
Muslim militants. The then Governor (Jag Mohan)
was held squarely responsible for it. While it is
possible only through an objective and impartial
probe to unearth the circumstances and the
reasons leading to the exodus it is nevertheless
important as Balraj Puri writes in his "Kashmir
Towards Insurgency" that Jag Mohan's lack of
empathy with the Kashmiri identity was perhaps
his major handicap. Jag Mohan believed that as
long as Kashmiri identity existed, Pakistan and
America would continue to exploit it. It is an
irony of history that while Jag Mohan was out to
communalize Kashmir the present Governor S.K.
Sinha is out to roll back Jag Mohan by talking
day-in and day-out about restoration of
Kashmiriyat.
Lastly, what is the present status of Kashmiri
Pandits and what is the residue of Kashmiriyat?
It is ugly, as the State Government has recently
revealed that since the inception of militancy
pandits have disposed off around 85% of their
property. In spite of lot of sufferings of the
Kashmiri Muslims there still is a huge goodwill
available towards the pandits but on the contrary
after migration pandits are attracted to a more
communal politics. As a result of migration, a
new pandit organisation was formed "Panun
Kashmir". It asked for a separate homeland for
Kashmir pandits in Kashmir. In addition 'Panun
Kashmir' wants the Indian constitution to be
extended in its entirety to Kashmir. A British
scholar Alexander Evans thus comments, "as a
consequence of migration a change has taken place
in pandit self-definition as the events of 1990's
have become inter-woven with a political history
that emphasis pandit differences from the Muslim
majority in the valley. Finally, after the shock
of cultural and political fragmentation that
followed the pandit exodus a new political
activism is developing amongst pandits. This
activist agenda can be interpreted as a cultural
self-defence mechanism, an attempt to protect a
Kashmiri pandit identity by cloaking it in the
discourse of nationhood. On the other hand, it
could well allow for a hijacking of pandit
politics by leaders keen to outflank each other
by playing the communal card". It is on account
of this apprehension and taste of the temper of
pandit leadership that some separatist leaders
like Shabir Shah and Yasin Malik (who have on
several occasions visited migrant camps to invite
pandits back to the valley) are now approaching
the common pandits at the grassroots level
directly so that they are able to bridge the
communication gap. Moreover, the response of the
pandit community to the two-track peace process
is also far from satisfactory. There was no
pandit response to Muzzafarabad governments
invitation to Kashmiri pandits to visit the
Sharda temple in Pakistan administered Kashmir.
The government there has earmarked Rs.10 crore
for the renovation of all these places of
worship. However, divergence between elite and
common Kashmiri pandit perception about political
and inter-community issues becomes clear when one
talks to people living in camps and more
particularly people from rural areas of Kashmir
valley. The common Kashmiri pandit largely speaks
in a different tone. A letter recently written by
a Kashmiri pandit T. N. Zutshi to Kashmir Times
on 18.01.2005 reveals the common man's
perception. Mr. Zutshi not only feels that people
living in Kashmir valley have suffered so much
because of brutal suppression but also suggested
withdrawal of all types of forces from the valley
and handing over of internal security of the
Kashmir province to the state police. He writes
that people should be allowed to live in peace
and with dignity so that they are able to think
clearly as to what they want". This perception is
at variance with those pandith leaders who have a
larger agenda on Kashmir.
To conclude the virtual absence of Kashmiri
pandits in Kashmir valley today along with the
rapid manner in which an extremist ethnic
nationalism has gripped many pandits since 1990's
bodes ill for any attempt to renew Kashmir as a
multicultural and plural political entity. Sheikh
Mohd. Abdullah's exhortation in April 1949
shortly after the cessation of 14 months of
fighting between India and Pakistan in and over
Kashmir is still relevant. Abdullah spoke
candidly in an interview with London Observer. He
"lamented not only the division of Jammu and
Kashmir through war but the prospect,
unacceptable to a Kashmiri patriot, the territory
would remain indefinitely trapped in the vortex
of a bitter feud between the two countries. The
people of the contested territory would never
enjoy either peace or prosperity in such a
context. Since because of its location as well as
its fractured internal politics, J&K needed the
goodwill, the tourists and the markets of both
countries for its stability". The two-track peace
process will definitely go a long way in
restoring and respecting the people's
perspective. Let us move the center to the
location of the people. Let the focus shift as
Ranabir Samadhar, says "not to partition but to
partitioned not to migration but to migrants".
*(The author is a Reader in Political Science
Department of Kashmir University).

People's Democracy - March 06, 2005

RSS IN ACTION IN RAJASTHAN
  Nalini Taneja

IF anybody needs convincing that every election
is important, they should look at the chain of
events in Rajasthan since the BJP came to power
in the state.

The chief minister, Vasundhara Raje, is a
committed member of the RSS, and has been doing
at the state level pretty much what the BJP led
government at the centre did with the state
resources at its command. The administration and
police postings have ensured that RSS people hold
strategic decision making and 'law enforcing'
positions in the state. A spate of appointments
will ensure that the RSS remains a presence in
state agencies should the BJP be defeated in the
next elections. 'Trishul dikshas' organised by
the Bajrang Dal became occasions for hate
campaigns against Muslims, and tribals have been
mobilised more than once against the Muslims by
the Vanvasi Kalyan Parishad.

RSS OPERATIONS IN FASCIST MOULD

More recently the RSS has sprung into direct
action: it has organised attacks against the
Christians once again, sponsored spurious claims
of support on behalf of Muslims for its agenda by
setting up bogus organisations with disreputable
people from among Muslims themselves, and has
managed a university for itself through the good
offices of Vasundhara Raje.

In Kota, on February 19, activists of the RSS,
BJP and Bajrang Dal descended on a train and beat
up workers of a Christian organisation, the
Emmanuel Mission. A group of 250 youth who had
come from Andhra to attend the Mission's
programme were forcibly taken to the police
station on the basis of the charge that the
mission was trying to convert them to
Christianity (The Asian Age, February 20, 2005).
A BJP corporator, Krishan Soni, also lodged a
case against Bishop MA Thomas to the same effect.
Not to be left behind, the Rajasthan social
welfare minister, Madan Dilawar, boasted that he
had "asked his officers to constitute an inquiry"
and send him a report "against the mission" as he
had been receiving "complaints" (from the RSS?).
He expected (wanted) the report to be "against"
the organisation even before the "inquiry" was
made. The deputy mayor, Ravindra Nirbhay, was
actually present at the station during these
goings on.

The incident has been, as is usual with fascists,
turned against the victims themselves, who are
facing harassment at the hands of the
administration, and who now have to explain why
they are interested in attending programmes
organised by Christian organisations, while those
who beat them up and threatened "further
consequences", are roaming free. It has also
become an occasion to demand that the law against
religious conversions. This is a leaf from Atal
Bihari Vajpayee's book who after attack on
Christians in Gujarat had spoken in his
'statesman-like' tone that there should be a
national debate on religious conversions. The
matter may well result in such a law if the BJP
is allowed to have its way.

TEACHING CULTURAL NATIONALISM TO MUSLIMS

RSS has also funded a meet of Rashtrawadi Muslim
Andolan, "My Hindustan", a bogus organisation
floated by the RSS. There was an all-India
conclave, organised by the Rajasthan Madrasa
Board chief, in Jaipur, to teach Muslims the
tenets of ''cultural nationalism''. Board
chairman, MA Ansari said: the agenda is
simple--Hindu-Muslim unity. ''We want Muslims to
give up their current mindset and understand the
realities of a multicultural India.'' ''Agar
Bharatiya hain to wafadaar to hona hi padega (If
we are Indians, we have to be loyal).'' And what
exactly he meant by that is clear from the
invitations sent out, in which the organisers
expressed their desire to ensure Vande Mataram
echoes throughout the country; and that cows are
protected zealously. (The Indian Express,
February 11, 2005).

There were of course protests by some members of
the Muslim community which led to imposition of
prohibitory orders around the venue, a few
arrests and a whole force of policemen taking
over the area. The media were kept away as
Sudarshan himself addressed the meeting, perhaps
following some negative reports of the event in
local media. The coordinator of the Rashtrawadi
Muslim Andolan, Muzzafar Hussain, said afterwords
that "the convention had debated common civil
code, specifically in respect to Muslim women,
effective measures to prevent cow slaughter by
the Centre, steps to lift the socio-economic
status of Muslims, and the need for better
management of Waqf Board properties in the
states. Empowerment of Muslim women and talaq
laws were also discussed at length." (Deccan
Herald, February 14, 2005).

EXPANDING ITS TENTACLES IN EDUCATION

Now the RSS also has a University of its own,
after setting up a number of educational
institutions in Rajasthan. The government has
issued a letter of intent for the self-financing
university, to be located at Jandoli, on the
outskirts of Jaipur. The RSS had already
established an educational centre at Jandoli. The
University has already been named as Keshav
Vidyapeeth Vishwavidyalaya, and would be awarding
postgraduate degrees. According to newspaper
reports, the Rajasthan education minister,
Ghanshyam Tiwari, has directed his department to
provide all help needed for the project, and it
will be a model university, dedicated to
implementing the Sangh ideology (The Asian Age,
February 27, 2005). The courses will be based on
"cultural nationalism and sciences", Ayurveda,
Vedic science, Yoga and medical science, and as
the RSS officials put it, the idea is to
propagate "our culture and sciences through the
syllabi" (Hindustan Times, February 24, 2005). It
will be on over 2,300 acres of land. After three
years it is planned that it be replicated in
other states. The dream of converting large
tracts of public lands into RSS-controlled real
estate is being turned into a reality in
Rajasthan.

The Congress party simply does not wish to see
the full portent of what the BJP is doing in the
states where it rules. The party has a right wing
economic programme, for which it needs the
support of the BJP. It needs a tacit acceptance
by the BJP of whatever the left will not be
willing to support: in return the BJP is being
allowed to get away with much that a secular
government in the centre should not allow. Goa,
Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan and, of course,
Gujarat are seeing the expansion of the RSS
linked organisations even as we have a non BJP
government in the centre. That is the tragedy of
our times within which the Left has to do what it
can.

______

[4]  [LETTERS TO THE EDITOR]

D-504 Purvasha
Mayur Vihar 1
Delhi 110091

News report: "Communal harmony bill to tackle rioters ...
announced by Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil."

The Indian Penal Code contains several sections which are aimed
expressly at maintaining communal harmony and preventing communally
motivated criminal violence. Despite them, such violence has taken
place over the decades. It has taken place because the agencies which
are supposed to enforce the law have themselves been communal. Every
single report on a "communal riot" has found the police guilty
at least of dereliction of duty. Since exemplary punishment has not
been awarded on any occasion, the police forces have remained happily
communal.

In most if not all instances, the RSS or its offshoots were also
found to be implicated. No action was taken against them either. I
speak not of when the BJP led the coalition at the Centre but of
earlier times.

Mr. Patil may have a dozen fine laws passed. But can he ensure that
they are enforced, that they do not remain just worthless paper? Can
he say honestly that the forces under his ministry are not communal,
that the party of which he is a member is not itself communal, never
mind its tall claims?

Actions speak, inaction speaks, words are hot air. Since before the
general election of 2004, Mr. Patil has given out vast quantities of
hot air -- and that is just what he is doing again.

Mukul Dube

______

[5]   [BOOK EXCERPTS AND BOOK REVIEWS]

(i)

Dawn - 06 March 2005

EXCERPTS: Women on the peace front
By Ritu Menon

Ritu Menon writes on how women's peace activism
can play a positive mediatory role in
conflict-torn areas.
The tradition of the oppressed teaches us that
the 'state of emergency' in which we live is not
the exception but the rule. - Walter Benjamin
The general failure of states across our region
to reach politically negotiated, peaceful
resolutions of the conflicts in their countries,
has had one unexpected outcome. It has propelled
NGOs, civil society groups (including businessmen
and industrialists), professionals, academics,
women's organizations and sundry peace activists
into being more proactive on peace. Together they
have initiated a range of activities, both within
their countries and across borders, that include
everything from research and dialogue to
track-two diplomacy and actual relief work.
Men make war and women make peace. This has the
kind of cliched associations that are difficult
to shake off, perhaps because there is a kernel
of truth in the statement. Women are generally
supposed to be nurturing and caring, naturally
maternal and therefore predisposed towards peace,
just as men are supposed to be the opposite.
Women are more open to mediation, to negotiation
and compromise because, it has been suggested,
they are obliged to carry on the business of
survival and sustenance when all social and
economic supports have broken down, and they are
often obliged to do so in the absence of their
menfolk.
So they are more likely to be found caring for
the sick or wounded, in relief and rehabilitation
and in rebuilding communities than carrying guns
and going into combat. Because they are also
among the worst sufferers in any situation of
conflict, armed or otherwise, they are believed
to be more inclined towards peace.
Feminist analysis has tried to move away from
biological essentialist and culturalist arguments
in favour of women's tolerance and non-violence,
and suggested instead, that "if women have a
distinctive angle in peace it is not due to their
being 'nurturing' but more to do, perhaps, with
knowing oppression". Their historical exclusion
from structures of power, both in the private and
public domains, as well as their experience of
subjugation gives them a stake in working for
peace and justice - or a just peace - as well as
in keeping democracy alive, for it is only
through social justice and democracy that they
will be able to realize their right to equality.
According to this logic, a feminist culture of
peace fundamentally criticizes unequal structures
of domination and is built on learning to live
with difference, without aggression.
I would like to suggest an additional factor that
may be at work in women's peace activism, and
this is their particular, gendered experience of
violence, in war as well as in supposed peace. As
recent empirical work the world over has shown,
for women, weapons of war are much the same as
weapons of peace; those who wield them in the
battlefield or on the front often return home and
turn the violence inwards. Women have first-hand
knowledge of the connected forms of domestic,
communal and political violence that stretches
from the home to the street and into the
battlefield.
I have already spoken of this with regard to
partition violence in India in 1947. Similarly,
studies of post-Yugoslavia, Bosnia,
Israel-Palestine, Ireland and, closer home,
Kashmir, Jaffna, Karachi, Dhaka and north-east
India, demonstrate the links between
militarization, misogyny and domestic violence.
Rita Manchanda quotes Palestinian MP Dalal Salmeh
as saying, "The violence used against Palestinian
men has made them violent at home, in the work
place and in their free time."
A number of testimonies by women from Kashmir and
the north-east echo this observation as do those
of women living in the crossfire of the MQM
(Muhajir Qaumi Movement) conflict in Karachi.
It is the combined experience of oppression and
violence, plus the responsibility for survival
and sustenance during and in the aftermath of
conflict that, I believe, provides the strongest
impetus to women's peace-making. Parveena
Ahangar's search for her missing son in Kashmir
eventually led to the formation of the
Association of the Parents of Disappeared Persons
(APDP) and to a cry for collective justice. The
refusal of the women of Kunan-Poshpora to remain
silent about their rape by the Indian security
forces led to the highlighting of military
atrocities.
The public cursing of the Mothers' Front in Sri
Lanka forced the government into acknowledging
its role in the disappearance of thousands of
young JVPers. The Women in Black, the Madres of
the Plaza de Mayo, the Jaffna Mothers' Front take
their private sorrow and make it public, thus not
only radicalizing the personal, radicalizing even
motherhood, but shaming the institutional and
authoritarian.
As Rita Manchanda says, "Women's construction of
the legitimacy or illegitimacy of conflict is a
critical factor in women turning their backs on
it. In Kashmir, a turning point in the armed
struggle came when Kashmiri women began to shut
the door on militants."
But is there such a thing as women's practice of
peace activism? Do we 'do peace' differently from
other peace activists, and if so, are these
alternative practices effective in the long run?
Can they, for instance, work across borders,
national as well as regional?
As with economic activity in South Asia, in peace
work too, women belong in the informal sector,
the informal spaces of politics, which by its
very nature affects our practice. The ritualized
cursing of the Mothers' Front or the sustained
protest by the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo,
indeed the public mobilization of motherhood in
the cause of peace and as a direct challenge to
the state are quintessentially 'womanist' forms
of peace activism.
Bearing witness, as happens in the World Courts
on Violence Against Women and in various
tribunals on violence or other crimes, is not
womanist in the same way but it has radicalized
the hitherto marginal and powerless, and forced
public and institutional notice outside the
traditional arenas of such activity - the court,
the police station, the executive or the
bureaucracy.
Dialogue and networking have been among the most
effective strategies used by the global women's
movement, in working for social change as well as
in raising awareness. Dialogue that bridges
difference and is predicated on respecting that
difference is at the other end of the spectrum
from what Ranabir Samaddar calls 'maximalist
friendship'. "Such a friendship," he says, "like
cold war friendship depends on maximum enmity,
and then, maximum hostility." Far from being
conducive to peace, it kills understanding; the
alternative to this is accommodating difference
which, more than solidarity, requires a politics
of understanding; and it is this politics of
understanding that I believe, women in the region
are trying to forge.
Cynthia Cockburn, describing a few notable
examples of cross-border peace initiatives by
women in Ireland, Israel and Bosnia Herzegovina,
identifies six characteristics that she believes
made the difference between the women's efforts,
and others. They are: (i) affirming difference;
(ii) non-closure of identity; (iii) reducing
polarization by emphasizing other differences;
(iv) an acknowledgment of injustice; (v) defining
the agenda; and (vi) group process. Again, these
may not be essentially womanist ways of doing
peace, but they have been worked at successfully
by the three groups she studied, and they are
clearly different from conventional CBMs,
two-tracks, and other people-to-people dialogues.
Cockburn also draws attention to the importance
of recognizing what she calls "the space between
us" in peace work - that social and political
space in which we separately live and work in
order to craft a politics of understanding.
It is not easy to do.
In Sri Lanka, for example, the Jaffna Mothers'
Front and the Sinhala Mothers' Front were unable
to cross the ethnic divide; nor could the Naga
Mothers Association make common cause with the
Watsu Mongdung in north-eastern India.
Occasionally, groups may come together on
specific issues, as national women's groups did
in Bangladesh with the Hill Women's Federation,
but they parted company on issues of national
identity. One instance of successful
bridge-building, however, is that of the MQM and
the Women's Action Forum in Karachi.
But the crucial point is that women's fledgling
attempts at making peace have highlighted the
necessity of transparency and the democratic
process in any peace accord or negotiation that
will endure. The inclusion of 'marginal' and
hitherto unheard voices in this process,
painstaking and protracted though it may be, may
actually have a better chance of succeeding than
that reached throughforce or subjugation.
It may be, as Rita Manchanda says, what "makes
the difference between the survival or collapse
of otherwise binary and closeted peace processes
between armed groups and the state".
Radhika Coomaraswamy is the chairperson of the
Human Rights Commission, Sri Lanka, and director,
International Centre for Ethnic Studies, Colombo.
Dilrukshi Fonseka has been programme coordinator
at the Berghof Foundation for Conflict Studies,
Sri Lanka.
Ritu Menon is co-founder of Kali for Women and an
independent scholar who has written widely on
women.
This book discusses the experiences of women
peacemakers in areas of conflicts and the role
they can play in promoting peace.
Excerpted with permission from Peace Work: Women,
Armed Conflict and Negotiation
By Radhika Coomaraswamy & Dilrukshi Fonseka
Women Unlimited an associate of Kali for Women,
K-36 Hauz Khas Enclave, New Delhi-110016
Tel: 91-11-6864497, 6964947
Email: kaliw at del2.vsnl.net.in
ISBN 81-88965-08-1
278pp. Indian Rs375

o o o o o

(ii)

Asian Tribune - 05 March  2005

The perfidies of power in caste ridden hi-tech India
By M Rama Rao - from New Delhi for Asian Tribune

Prof P Radhakrishnan's book, 'The Perfidies of
Power' India in the new millennium - is a welcome
addition to the growing literature on the subject.

New Delhi, 02 March (Asiantribune.com): India,
its caste ridden society and its tryst with
democracy with the promise to empower the weaker
and deprived sections makes a fascinating study
since India is often described as anarchy in
action or largest democracy at logger heads with
itself.

So, in that sense, Prof P Radhakrishnan's book,
'The Perfidies of Power - India in the new
millennium' is a welcome addition to the growing
literature on the subject. The author is a
professor of Sociology at the Madras Institute of
Development Studies, Chennai. His name and
writings are familiar to the readers of The
Hindu, which regularly feature his writings and
to those who are familiar with The Hindu's sister
publication The Frontline, to which he is a
regular contributor.

The book under review is a compilation of his
newspaper articles in recent years and the effort
is, in the words of the author to "emphasise the
need for redefining the contents and contours of
Indian democracy for ushering in more inclusive,
secular and pluralistic polity and society".
Within that broad canvas, he seeks to identify in
his own way the fault lines in governance. He
also puts the lens on "the perfidies of
governors, and the pitfalls of the governed"
while making a critique of the system at
provincial and federal level.

The learned professor asserts that he has tried
to use the 'looking glasses' of the common man.
Value judgement on this claim has to wait till
such time till the reviewer has an occasion to
read the book in full, unlike now when the
comment is based on the note thoughtfully
provided by the author.

In the entire book carries thirty articles. These
were contributions, as already stated to The
Hindu (between 1991 to 2002) as also to The
Frontline, and The Hindu Business Line.

The Professor says that he had written these
articles as a part of his social involvement in
raising the quality of public awareness and
debate. What prompted him to do so was his
'increasing conviction' that as an academic and
social critic he owes more to the masses (than to
the classes) who have no easy access to
'knowledge', especially 'critical knowledge'.

This is in fact a new and revised edition of the
book that was originally offered three years ago
in 2002 as 'INDIA, the Perfidies of Power: A
Social Critique'.

Professor Radhakrishnan states in his preface
that while going in for the reprint so early in
the day he had taken ëliberty to change its title
so as to bring it closer to the overall themeí of
the book. He also effected some deletions and
additions of articles to make it more topical for
research student and political analyst alike.
While so doing, he rearranged the essays
thematically with new titles to deal with the
recent socio-political concerns.

It is difficult to disagree with the author that
his essay dealing with reservations in Tamil Nadu
and the life history of Dr. Ambedkar still retain
the dew they had at dawn. Like this comment, all
other articles undoubtedly serve as a window to
get a peep into the societal and political
processes and trends in India, which reflect many
current socio-political concerns.

A plus point, to quote the professor himself once
again, the book doesnít lack historical
sensitivity particularly while in the context of
issues like Vaikom Satyagraha, and Ambedkarís
Legacy. He does take care not to go into a
theoretical straitjacket. The chapter headings,
like for instance, Dalit oppression, exploiting
the exploited, Dalit emancipation, political
relevance of Ambedkar, caste and reservations and
the Quota Conundrum clearly show the focus and
direction of the writing.

The book has been brought out by T R Publications
Pvt Limited ( PMG Complex, First Floor, 8, South
Usman Road, T Nagar) Chennai. The price is not
mentioned. The publisher can be reached on
website
<http://www.trpublications.com/>www.trpublications.com
Orders for the book can be placed by e-mail.

The author promises to come up with a sequel to
this book (in progress) that will be a critique
of Hindutva and the BJP-Sangh Parivar politics
which are no less matters of concern for
sociologists and all those keen to see an early
end to centuries of oppression of the deprived
sections of India. Hopefully, the learned
professor will offer a blue print to empowerment
in a society which is still to get in to stride
to truthfully claim that it indeed has entered
the 21 century as an IT nation.

- Asian Tribune-

______

[6]  [Announcements]

(i)

"SAKHIRI"
on stage :
drfloy (France): Bass guitar and electronics
Sumathi (India): Vocal
Tejal Shah + Natasha Mendonca (India): Video art with live mix
Sakhi: Poetry

"SAKHIRI" is an electro acoustic performance, crossing genders and mixing
sounds, images, video and poetry in music.

A creation built out of a poetic research exploring gender issues, human rights
and sexual minorities' rights, making space for
their multiple voices; exploring
pain, joy, love and celebrating their lives through poetry, video filmed
performances, songs and experimental compositions.

After collecting material through various meetings and workshops with women
activists and hijra groups and individuals for the time of a residency in
Bangalore, the artists will present different music compositions where live
electronics will treat and transfigure the collected sources, testimonies and
poems, while poetry will be performed and sung, interacting with video.

How can experimental soundscapes, treatments and
classical vocals deal together?

How can music, poetry, and video reveal, attract or repel each other?

What kind of meaning or sensations appear through?

How is gender constructed by artists, art, music, electronics, visuals, poetry,
images, by people, by mainstream people?

What about people who transgress the borders?

Has Creation to do with creating one's own life, one's own gender?

What creative potential lies in being "in the margins"?

Addressing her female friend, "Sakhiri" is a creation in process.

Performance Tour:
BANGALORE March 19, Saturday, 6:30 pm onwards
The Auditorium, Alliance Francaise
108 Thimmaiah Road, Vasanth Nagar, Bangalore

PUNE
March 24, Thursday, 7 pm onwards
Open Air Theatre, Amgan Manch,
Centre for Performing Art, University of Pune

BOMBAY
April 1 & 2, Friday & Saturday, 6:30 pm onwards
The Auditorium, Alliance Francaise
Theosophy Hall, New Marine Lines
Bombay

All performances are non-ticketed.

DrFloy, a French artist, bass guitarist involved in the electronic and
experimental European scene, as well as in the female band Mafucage has been
touring over the world for the past 10 years; She produces and releases music
for diverse supports and in various art forms such as CDs, vinyl EPS, internet
web art, videos and installations.

Sumathi, a student of Hindustani classical vocal Music has been learning music
for 20 years under late Pandit Ramarao Naik, Pandit D.S Garud, Pandit Yaeshwant
Buva Joshi, and Smt Lalit Rao. She is mostly involved in experimental programs.
She is also a music composer working for documentary films and theatre.

Tejal Shah, a visual artist, works with video,
photography and installation. Her
works have shown in museums, galleries and film festivals in India and
internationally.

Natasha Mendonca studied social communication media. She works with film and
video and lives in Bombay.

Natasha and Tejal co-founded India's premier International Film Festival of
Sexuality and Gender plurality, Larzish.

Among the prominent musician that have contributed to this creation is Anuradha
Pal, disciple of Ustad Zakir Hussein and one of the first and only professional
woman tabla player.

o o o o o

(ii)

CENTRE OF SOUTH ASIAN STUDIES, SOAS

ANNUAL LECTURE

Fundamentalism and the Seductions of Virtue: Politics, Absolutism and South
Asia

Dr Chetan Bhatt
Goldsmiths' College

5.30PM    MONDAY 14 MARCH    2005
Followed by Reception
Room B102, Brunei Gallery, SOAS, Russell Square, London

ALL WELCOME

o o o o o

(iii)

INSAF Bulletin [35]   March 1, 2005

contents:
Nepal: A king declares war against the people - Daya Varma
State Elections - Congress Sweeps Haryana,
Outcome Indecisive in Bihar and Jharkhand - Vinod
Mubayi
Protests Mount Against Narendra's Modi's Planned
Visit to the U.S. - Vinod Mubayi
A Three Kings' January 6th 2005 Year of the
Rooster Offering - Part 2 - Andre Gunder Frank
Hindu Code Bill: A case of collective amnesia - Anoop Kumar

[Now on the web at: http://www.insaf.net/central/bulletins/200503bull.html]

(iv)

Saffron Dollar - January-February 2005
Campaign to Stop Funding Hate
March 3, 2005

[Now on the web at: http://stopfundinghate.org/resources/Saff$/]

(v)

South Asians Against Nukes | March 5, 2005

Radiation Monitoring Around Madras Atomic Power Station
by VT Padmanabhan and NP Nakul

(An independent citizens investigative report released in Trivandrum, Kerala
on 5 March 2005)

See also -  Associated Charts and Pictures made
while surveying the Tamil Nadu coast between
10-20 February 2005.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/