SACW | 26 Jan 2005

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Jan 25 22:07:14 CST 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire   | 26 Jan.,  2005
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan: The great bakra genocide (Shakir Husain)
[2] The Dream of 'An Asian Century' - India's prosaic reality (Praful Bidwai)
[3] India: Farewell to Arms - Don't equate
national strength with military might (edit.,
Times of India)
[4] India: Manufacturing Consent: How Thought
Police States Are Created (Ashis Nandy)
[5] Calamity and Prejudice ! - The Long Forgotten
Battle Against Untouchability (Subhash Gatade)
[6] India: Dark Clouds: A new govt order to
scatter Tsunami survivors in Tamil Nadu (Babu
Mathew)

--------------

[1]

The News International
January 26, 2005

THE GREAT BAKRA GENOCIDE

Shakir Husain

According to a press release by the Punjab
Government one million "animals" were slaughtered
in Lahore over Bakra Eid and 20,000 tons of
animal waste was picked up by the city's
sanitation workers. No such numbers are available
for Karachi yet but given the fact that Karachi's
population is double that of Lahore, it would be
safe to assume that two million animals were
butchered here.

This Eid low-end bakras started at 5,000 rupees a
piece with "high-end" ones going for around
10,000; and if you were in the market for
imported ones then the sky was the limit. Placing
the average at about Rs 6,000 per animal, a
whopping USD 305 million was spent in Karachi and
Lahore on the sacrifice of "animals"! This number
can go upwards but not downwards given that we're
using the placid bakra as our benchmark. If we
count the rest of Pakistan, including Islamabad,
Peshawar, Quetta, Faisalabad, and Sialkot to name
a few other cities, this number can easily hit
USD 500 million! Ladies and gentlemen, that is
half a billion dollars, or to put it in
perspective one third of Pakistan's defence
budget.

Let's ask ourselves what the killing of these
animals is really all about? Is it about
sacrifice? Is it about tradition? Or has it
become about showing off how much money you have
and keeping up with the 'Khans'? It all boils
down to a game of "mine is bigger than yours". In
Karachi I have seen houses where for weeks before
Eid the poor animals are placed outside the gates
with spotlights on them so that everyone passing
by could see the "decorations" that were about to
be sacrificed. In the same vein, a new trend of
sacrificing imported goats and cows from
Australia and New Zealand is in vogue - starting
at about a lac and then upwards these gora
janwars are shipped to Pakistan to die an
undignified death.

To truly understand the concept of sacrifice as
it is supposed to exist in Islam, one should look
at the era of the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH). At the
advent of Islam, Arabia was a nomadic society
where wealth was principally measured by the
number of camels and goats one possessed. By that
logic if someone sacrificed one camel out of ten,
then effectively they had just sacrificed one
tenth of their wealth to feed the poor. Today in
the 21st century our principal measure of wealth
is not goats and camels, but our bank balances
(both onshore and offshore), the number of plots
owned, and the number of cars parked in our
garages. But we don't really see the
"sacrificial" lot go donating one of their
Mercedes for the welfare of the poor nor do we
see long lines of people donating their plots so
that schools or hospitals can be made.

Eid in Pakistan is becoming more and more bizarre
by the year if anyone has noticed. This Eid in
the Sohrab Goth Bakra Mandi larger vendors were
accepting credit cards and people were actually
happily swiping away to acquire their "janwars"!
I wonder how they felt about paying interest on
an animal that was going to be sacrificed for
religious purposes? One vendor was trying to sell
a white goat with a black Allah painted on its
side for one lac, and swearing on everything that
it was completely natural! I'm sure some sucker
bought it by the end of the day. I don't see the
MMA raising a hue and cry over such blasphemy.
But such are the travesties of life in the land
of the pure.

Thankfully I spent Eid day at a friends' farm in
the interior of Sindh, and luckily those in rural
Pakistan are much more civilized than their urban
cousins as there was no bloodshed, no sounds of
bleating sheep and goats the night before; they
were all very matter of fact. Maybe this has to
do with the fact that no one is engaged in trying
to show each other up and maybe it's because no
one can afford to pay 5,000 rupees for a bakra.
Whatever the cause, all I know is that they don't
share the concept of "my bakra is better than
your bakra" that city folks seem to have caught
onto.

At the end of the day Pakistan probably should
enter the Guinness Book of World Records in an
extraordinary image building PR exercise. We
probably qualify for the country where the most
number of bakras are killed in a 24-hour period.
And while I love red meat, the sheer scale of the
Eid slaughters, the blood on the streets, and the
scale of the money wasted turns me into a
vegetarian for a few days. Who says we're a poor
country especially when we have half a billion to
burn on meat!

The Praful Bidwai Column
January 24, 2005

THE DREAM OF 'AN ASIAN CENTURY'
India's prosaic reality

By Praful Bidwai

As we celebrate India's fiftyfifth Republic Day,
we should take a dispassionate look at the
country's achievements and failures. This is
particularly necessary in view of the
increasingly fashionable assertion that India is
about to "arrive" as a Great Power and a leader
of the coming "Asian Century". The term is used
in the same sense in which the Twentieth Century
was called the American Century. Look at some
euphoric predictions.

In October 2003, investment consultancy Goldman
Sachs forecast that by 2040, BRICs (Brazil,
Russia, India and China) will emerge as economies
bigger than the US, Japan, Germany, France, UK
and Italy collectively. Now, National Intelligence
Council, a CIA think-tank, predicts that by 2020,
India and China will "transform the geopolitical
landscape" with their robust economic growth and
military capabilities. This has generated a
gung-ho mood amongst many Indian policy-makers
and -shapers.

Before looking at the future, it's necessary to
summarise our past performance. This, by any
standards, is modest, at best moderate. Over the
past 55 years, India's real per capita GDP has
annually grown by 2.1 percent-by no means a
dramatic rate. Despite growth, India saw its
share of world output and trade shrink-in the
latter case, from 2 to 0.6 percent. Average
life-expectancy improved more impressively, from
38 years to 64 years. But this was attributable
more to growing availability of modern medicines,
especially vaccines, than to an across-the-board
improvement in health and quality of life.

More than half our people still live in want and
poverty, which prevents them from developing
their basic human potential. India's literacy
rate has improved from 18.3 percent to 65.4. Yet,
there are more illiterate people in absolute
numbers than India's entire population 55 years
ago. India's food production has almost
quadrupled. Yet, recent per capita availability
has been less than 50 years ago and of the same
level as during the World War years, during which
the Bengal Famine occurred.

Half a century ago, India held out great
promise-of reinventing itself as a modern,
egalitarian society free from blind faith and
particularly odious and crippling aspects of
social hierarchy, such as caste oppression and
discrimination against Dalits, women and
religious-ethnic minorities. It still remains
mired in rigid casteist hierarchies. Superstition
and religious dogma are spreading. Anti-Dalit
discrimination persists, as does ruthless
exploitation of the labouring poor. Women's
oppression remains pervasive and the minorities
are menaced by militant Hindu-majoritarianism. A
modern middle-class has burgeoned. But a majority
of Indians remain in social bondage and economic
servitude. In many aspects, today's India is more
divided and unequal than 55 years ago, with some
of the highest indicators of income and regional
disparity anywhere.

India's greatest achievement is the stabilisation
and energisation of its democracy, which has
brought hundreds of millions of hitherto-excluded
people into public life. No less important are
our social movements, with their rich traditions
of people's self-organisation, innovative protest
and daring questioning of power. An important
component of India's democracy is self-assertion
by subaltern layers, especially Dalits and Other
Backward Classes.

There is growing realisation that democracy must
be open to the voiceless: the weak matter. The
underprivileged Indian has time and again humbled
the powerful by voting them out of power. In
roughly three-fourths percent of all elections in
three decades, ruling parties have lost to their
opponents, who in turn are voted out in the next
contest. Few Third World societies, and not many
First World countries, match India's record as a
democracy-despite its aberrations.

Over the last two decades, India's GDP growth has
accelerated, to 5-to-6 percent a year-although
its population growth eats into a third of this.
This acceleration has created the delusion that a
bright future awaits India despite its rulers'
failure to address the basic wants of the people,
like land reform, employment, food, shelter and
drinking water. Eight percent GDP growth is the
latest mantra to create a prosperous, "developed"
India.

Assume for a moment that India does grow at 8
percent. Even so, over the next 30 years, India's
per capita income will only rise to about $5,100
(from $ 460 in 2001). This is only a fraction of
the US's current level of $34,280, Japan's
$35,610, Western Europe's $20,670, Singapore's
$21,500 or even South Korea's $9,460. A majority
of Indians will still be poor.

In aggregate size, BRICs might overtake the
developed economies-provided many optimistic
assumptions materialise. But their people's
incomes will still be far lower. There is a 1:20
income-differential between China and the
developed world. There's no way the China can
make up the gap in a lifetime-even if it grows at
a scorching 7 to 8 percent, and there are no
ecological limits to such growth. The second
assumption is dangerously mistaken. The earth's
resources cannot support a Western consumption
pattern for the whole globe. Indeed, even OECD
countries must cut back on their consumption.

The NIC's latest report too is full of doubtful
assumptions, including that the world economy in
2020 will be about 80 percent larger than in
2000, and per capita income 50 percent higher.
This presumes that such growth is possible
without catastrophic effects like global warming
and that global petroleum consumption can grow at
least as fast as GDP. (Expert opinion says global
oil output has all but peaked.)

Even more dubious are the NIC's political
conclusions: China and India's rise as Major
Powers will be similar to the emergence of
unified Germany at the end of the 18th century,
or the US a century ago; and second, with Brazil
and Indonesia, China and India will "render
obsolete the old categories of East and West,
North and South, aligned and nonaligned,
developed and developing". Germany's rise
coincided with the colonial epoch in which Europe
dominated the world more completely than any
group of Powers does today. Similarly, the US's
ascendancy preceded the First World War and
Europe's ruin. That condition is missing. A
century ago, today's developed countries followed
growth-paths of their choice, including
protection of industry, not to speak of colonial
plunder.

The second proposition is downright preposterous.
The average North-South income differential has
tripled over the past 50 years. Today, the
world's 500 richest billionaires have more wealth
than the total annual earnings of 3 billion, or
half the global population. The top 200
multinational corporations control more money
than all the world's countries together barring
nine. It's also hard to see how India and China
will become the world's technology leaders. Most
indicators, including the general state of their
science, education, number of patents held, and
IT capabilities, don't support such rosy
assumptions.

We need a more sober view of India's (and
China's) likely future than the NIC's analysis
along the SWOT (strengths, weaknesses,
opportunities and threats) model. This model is
meant to help the White House prepare for
"probably challenges" and "to extend its
advantages, particularly in shaping a new
international orderŠ" But we should know better:
India will emerge as a major global player only
if it manages its social and political problems
wisely and gives its people a stake and share in
growth.

We must remember the larger reality relevant to
people. High GDP does not mean a better life or
more jobs for them. India's 5-to-6 percent growth
is not producing enough jobs. The
organised-sector workforce has actually shrunk
during each of the past five years. It shed 4.2
lakh jobs in 2001-02, and now accounts for a mere
7 percent of total employment. Today, it has 9.1
lakh fewer jobs than in 1997.

The fall hasn't been made up by the informal
sector, in which employment has annually risen by
just 1 percent over the past decade. The
population growth rate is almost double this.
Over one-and-a-half decades, overall employment
growth in India has decreased from 2.7 percent
annually to just 1.1 percent. In the past, an
additional output of 10 percent meant 6.8 percent
more jobs. Today, it means only 1.6 new jobs-a
shocking 76 percent decrease!

Just over a year ago, we witnessed a terrible
spectacle. Indian Railways held recruitment tests
for Category-D employees. There were a
mind-boggling 55 lakh valid applicants for a mere
20,000 positions of khalasis/gangmen, the meanest
of all Railway jobs-a ratio of 275 candidates per
job. The competition was so fierce that
candidates physically prevented "rivals" from
other states from reaching examination halls.
Over 50 people died in the orgy of violence in
Maharashtra, Bihar and Assam.

That's not the kind of growth we want. That model
spells unspeakable social regression. This is
precisely the kind of cesspool of inequalities,
disparities and discontent in which extreme
Rightwing politics thrives. Nazism and Fascism
couldn't have triumphed in Europe without the
havoc wrought by the Great Depression.

This Republic Day is a good occasion to dedicate
ourselves to a basic task: meeting elementary
needs of all Indians, and build a compassionate,
inclusive society in which citizens' welfare
counts more than Reasons of State. Only such an
India can serve as a world model.-end-

The Times of India
January 26, 2005 | Editorial

FAREWELL TO ARMS
DON'T EQUATE NATIONAL STRENGTH WITH MILITARY MIGHT

Over the years, Republic Day has been reduced to
a meaningless display of state might. We are
supposed to celebrate our democracy by swaying to
the beat of jackboots and the whirr of tanks. It
is time we defined nationhood in more civilised
terms. Plainly put, it is indefensible that we
spend over Rs 70,000 crore on defence when 350
million people - or our total population at the
time of Independence - still go hungry. A
government that claims to have come to power on a
pro-poor mandate must effect a major transfer of
resources from defence to development. Reports
that the government is planning to bridge the gap
between the two, by effecting a major hike in the
allocation for rural development, are heartening.
To begin with, even a 25% cut in defence spending
would act as a trendsetter in budget-making. The
argument that higher allocations towards the
creation of rural assets and social security
would be nullified by corruption in the system
does not carry conviction. The state, as a matter
of principle, should provide for the health,
education and livelihood of its people. As
Amartya Sen says, growth statistics sound hollow
when even one person goes hungry. It is not for
nothing that the UN Human Development Report
ranks India at 127, even as it is one of the
fastest growing economies and largest armies in
the world. How can one justify defence spending
that amounts to nearly a fifth of total
government expenditure?

We are one of the largest purchasers of armaments
in the world, our present craving for weaponry
surpassing our appetite during the Cold War
years. India's defence expenditure has increased
by seven times since 1990-91, even as it remains
by far the biggest military power in South Asia.
Pakistan's capabilities cannot ever match ours
because it lacks the resources, both human and
financial. We need not stock up stuff against
China when we cannot take them on, anyway. So,
why the arms fetish? It is clear that a nexus of
weapon dealers, politicians and strategic affairs
intellectuals virtually
determines the nature of the budget, and by
implication our social and economic development.
Expenditures on defence, interest payments and
subsidies leave little room for addressing other
concerns; the current emphasis on paring
non-merit subsidies, while being justified,
should not be used to deflect attention away from
defence spending. We would have truly arrived as
a Republic the day the government announces a
rural development outlay in excess of that for
defence.

The Times of India
January 15, 2005

MANUFACTURING CONSENT: HOW THOUGHT POLICE STATES ARE CREATED
Ashis Nandy

The future of censorship is very bright in India
- in media, culture and intellectual life. Do not
be taken in by political postures and academic
correctness - politicians, the bureaucracy, the
literati and the middle class love censorship.
They all want freedom for their own ideas,
lifestyles and moral codes; censorship for that
of others.

It is obvious by now that modern democracies
cultivate censorship as much as despotisms do.
Indeed, a democratic state often goes farther. It
creates a demand for censorship among vocal
sections of the citizens, who come to believe
that censorship is vital for their survival -
political, cultural and moral. These sections are
kept constantly anxious about national security
and angry about the changing aesthetic, moral and
sexual norms around them.

The nervousness of bureaucrats at the thought of
open access to information is a simple matter.
They fear openness because they fear loss of
power, relevance and the right to extract
favours. The created anxiety about security,
creeping immorality or desacralisation is more
complex. Security anxieties are the sharpest
among those reduced to being passive consumers
and spectators of politics and are entirely
media-dependent for their political views. As
their sense of personal efficacy declines, they
begin to live in a more paranoiac world of
traitors, enemies and conspirators.

The fear of immorality and desacralisation is
deepest in those in whom traditions have weakened
and who are secretly attracted by the new
aesthetic and moral openness and irreverence
around them. Their children and grandchildren
live by standards that to them look too liberal
and they themselves spend a lot of psychological
effort to maintain severe controls on themselves.
The censorship they demand is a way of fighting a
losing battle within their own selves.

The modern literati support a different form of
censorship, propelled by a deep-seated fear of
the people. Often shaped by nineteenth-century
social and political theories, they believe that
most citizens are ignorant, superstitious, mired
in religious and caste hatred. The literati are
perpetually afraid of 'wrong' exposures that may
help these god-forsaken ones to regress further
into atavism and fanaticism. They love to
prescribe for the latter a steady diet of
educational TV, official documentaries, didactic
cinema and politically correct editorial pages
and handouts produced by the right kind of
ideologues.

Censorship is going to stay and become more
invidious. As the populous, culturally diverse
democracies become more technocratic and their
politics more professional, the electoral process
becomes more media-dependent. Media gives one a
chance to bypass the slow, painful process of
building a political base by aggregating demands.
It allows one to artificially create new demands
and public consensus.

If you are a clever politician, through the media
you can tailor for yourself a public persona that
represents popular opinions, prejudices and
allows some play for the untamed passions in your
society, some of which you might have stoked in
the first place. You can avoid painstaking,
labour-intensive political work - trade unionism,
social work, old-style grievance-articulation and
party-building. Censorship becomes an easy way of
manipulating public opinion.

The style, however, differs from country to
country. Some countries wield censorship and
secrecy clumsily, others subtly. Some beat up
journalists or jail them on false charges or
concocted evidence; others develop a
sophisticated system of rewards and punishments
to ensure self-censorship or manufacture
consensus. The latter can be as effective as the
former. In the United States, dissenting voices
have always struggled to find a place in the
mainstream media. Noam Chomsky may be an iconic
dissenter in the university circuit, but no
mainstream newspaper or newsmagazine wastes an
inch of space on him. Not because Chomsky is seen
as dangerous but because the consumers of
political news are just not interested in him.
Likewise, for years, the mainstream American
press and television have been showing grisly
pictures of the victims of Arab terrorism in
Israel but not that of the Arab victims of
Israeli atrocities. This is not an organised
conspiracy, as many believe, but a 'normal' part
of media-management in democracies.

In India, there is now a sizeable political
constituency, reared on propaganda-driven
insecurity and a numbing fear of the nation's
enemies. This constituency is perfectly willing
to bring all intellectual pursuits, research and
arts under the control of a thought police.

Most data on Indian rivers are confidential; so
are, it appears, all data on the health of prime
ministers. As for non-state actors, about three
decades ago, when a nondescript trade union
declared Satyajit Ray's depiction of a young
nurse in his movie Pratidwandi unfair and
demanded re-censorship of the movie, it seemed a
minor spat produced by high-voltage trade
unionism typical of excitable Bengalis. The
country had, of course, progressed much when,
about a decade ago, a painting of Saraswati by M
F Husain, provoked the vandals of Bajrang Dal.
The best, I am afraid, is yet to come. The scanty
media coverage of the extreme reluctance of the
government of India to sign the international
convention on torture and of the human rights
situation in the north-east and Kashmir are
signposts of the future.

CALAMITY AND PREJUDICE !
THE LONG FORGOTTEN BATTLE AGAINST UNTOUCHABILITY
by Subhash Gatade

[January 18, 2005]

There's something even an earthquake measuring 9
on the Richter scale and a tsunami that kills
over 1 lakh people can't crack : the walls
between caste. ..That's why at Ground Zero in
Nagapattinam, Murugeshan and his family of four
have been living on the streets in Nambiarnagar.
That's why like 31 other families, they have been
thrown out of relief camps.  Š
( Indian Express - 7 Jan 2005)

There are some protagonists of Hinduism who say
that Hinduism is a very adaptable religion, that
it can adjust itself to everything and absorb
anything. I do not think many people would regard
such a capacity in a religion as a virtue to be
proud of, just as no one would think highly of a
child because it has developed the capacity to
eat dung, and digest it. But that is another
matter. It is quite true that Hinduism can adjust
itself... can absorb many things. The beef-eating
Hinduism (or strictly speaking Brahminism which
is the proper name of Hinduism in its earlier
stage) absorbed the non-violence theory of
Buddhism and became a religion of vegetarianism.
But there is one thing which Hinduism has never
been able to do - namely to adjust itself to
absorb the Untouchables or to remove the bar of
Untouchability.
- BR Ambedkar
(Quoted in 'Holy Cow and Unholy Dalit' Siriyavan Anand, Himal, Nov 2002)

'Tsunami can't wash this away : hatred for Dalits
: In Ground Zero, Dalits thrown out of relief
camps, cut out of food, water supplies, toilets,
Š'.The main news in one of the leading newspapers
revealed it all. The centuries old prejudice
against the 'lower communities' was perfectly
intact despite an unprecedented tragedy called
Tsunami. The report had details of the way
Nagapattinam, one of the worst affected district
in Tamilnadu, was coping with the changed
situation.

Apart from the regular information about the
relief work undertaken and graphic details about
the plight of the victims the reporter had
presented the flip side of relief which normally
remains out of focus in any such coverage of
natural calamity. It described the way in which
dalits were discriminated even during relief
distribution after the infamous Tsunami. It told
how 'doors were being slammed in the face of the
Dalit survivors here.' The role of the government
which 'instead of 'ensuring justice, was
reinforcing the divide' had also come under
scanner.

It had details of  how Dalits from 63 affected
villages from Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu were
facing the brunt of the powerful Meenavar
fishermen (a Most Backward Class): being thrown
out of relief camps, pushed to the rear of food
and water lines, not being allowed to take water
from UNICEF facilities and in some cases not even
being allowed to use the toilet. ( Indian Express
January 8, 2005)

It does not need an expert's grassrootbased study
to know that Nagapattinam is an exception. A
roundup of the various relief camps can  reveal
to any concerned observer that the division
between the dalits and the rest of the populace
sanctified by religion and legitimised by the
graded hierarchy masquerading as tradition
despite more than half century of living as a
republic, runs quite deep. And the treatment
meted out to the dalits was a 'logical outcome'
of this.

Interestingly while the said paper continued with
its exclusive story and even wrote an edit on the
same theme asking the government to take action
against the perpetrators of injustice to the
dalits, the rest of the national media preferred
to gloss over this aspect. Possibly the silence
maintained by the others was in tune with the
understanding expressed by the local district
collector who 'did not want to disturb the social
equilibrium' at this crucial juncture. A social
activist present there indignantly told the
reporter ,"..No one is willing to take up the
matter at the field level as this could
complicate things." It appeared that they did not
want to precipitate friction between the two
castes by trying to address it during this
crisis. Ofcourse

It could be also be said that when an
unprecedented tragedy was unfolding before their
own eyes these 'wathchdogs of democracy' did not
want to add to the emotional burden of their
already anguished readers / viewers with a
routine matter like caste discrimination. Perhaps
they were true to an extent that the inbuilt
caste and gender based discrimination with its
incessant violence in our society has become so
common that it has started appearing 'normal and
routine.'

And this despite the fact that the dalits in
Tamilnadu as in rest of the country were facing
the brunt of caste oppression never seen
before.It is only in recent times that we have
been witness to some of the worst atrocities
against them. Ranging from the killing of five
dalits in Jhajjar, Haryana supposedly for
skinning a dead cow to the forcible consumption
of urine to three dalit youths in the recent
incident in Abohar, Punjab; ranging from the
killing of two dalit youths in Saharanpur, U.P.
last year for winning a cricket match against the
upper caste people to the branding of two dalits
Murugesan and Ramasamy with hot iron rods and
forcing them to feed dried human excreta to each
other in Thinniam, Tiruchi district, Tamilnadu we
have been witness to incidents after incidents
wherein the people who consider themselves above
the dalits in caste hierarchy have tried to wreak
havoc on them to reinforce and perpetuate their
ageold dominance in a brutal manner.

Ofcourse it need be underlined at this juncture
that the growing atrocities against the dalits in
recent times should not be construed as their
continued submission to the dictats of the varna
people in any manner. Rather it is an indicator
of the fact that they have risen in rebellion at
various levels and have challenged their
dominance in all fields of life. For an outsider
the revolt may appear disorganised and suffering
from clearcut direction, 'experts from the
academia' may castigate these subalterns for
their 'opportunist leadership' which has turned
them into 'vote banks', but all this criticism
notwithstanding it is a fact as clear as sunlight
that Dalits at various levels have refused to
take it lying down. They have decided to chart a
new path under the guidance of the thoughts of Dr
B.R. Ambedkar or for that matter
Marxism-Leninism. And this assertion has a long
history.

Anyone familiar with the social history of
Tamilnadu must be aware that the first massacre
of Dalits in post independence times took place
in Tamilnadu only (village Killevanamani,
district Thanjavur) wherein more than 35 people
mostly women and children were burnt alive by the
marauders belonging to the locally powerful upper
caste gentry way back in 1969. The pretext for
the massacre is worth emphasising. The dalits and
other oppressed people from adjoining areas had
waged a powerful struggle for better wages and
the upper caste landlords found it impossible to
break the unity and solidarity of these people.
And they preferred the shortest route of killing
them and compelling them to surrender before
their might.The way judiciary responded to this
heinous massacre also shows how the various
institutions of state have connived in the
maintenance of the varna statusquo. The session
court had then set all the accused free with a
specious argument that since they belonged to
upper caste it was not expected that they would
have gone walking to the dalit hamlette.

An incident from the same Tamilnadu which
happened two years ago is also indicative of the
changed ambience. As Siriyavan Anand elaborates
in his article ( Himal, November 2002) :
"On 7 September, Sankan, a dalit, was drinking
tea with a friend at a shop in Goundampatti,
Nilakottai taluq, Dindigul district when he was
attacked by six caste Hindus. He was verbally
abused and beaten up, after which an off-duty
constable urinated in his mouth. Sankan had
earned the wrath of the caste Hindu gounder
community because he had aggressively pursued his
right to a piece of land of which he had been
cheated.."

It is true that repression breeds revolt and it
engenders further repression. Same can be said of
the forward march of the dalits interspersed with
brutal atrocities as a last ditch attempt by the
priviledged sections of our society to put the
clock back. Ofcourse it is a marker of the
'insensitivity' and 'inhumanity' which gets
ingrained in everyone's minds vis-à-vis this
supposedly great institution called caste that
even a collosal human tragedy precipitated by a
natural calamity does not compel them to rethink
their archaic notions.

2.
  "[U]ntouchability, is a kind of disease of the
Hindus..it is a mental twist.. I do not know how
my friend is going to untwist the twist which the
Hindus have got for thousands of years unless
they are all sent to some kind of hospital.' Dr
B.R.Ambedkar , 1954 (Quoted in Bhagwan Das, 95
:53).

The plight of the dalits trying to come to terms
with life alongwith other sections of reminded
one of a few of the headlines which appeared in
the mainstream newspapers around three years ago.
These reports communicated to the layreader how
post Gujarat quake relief and rehabilitation work
had at places bypassed the dalits and the
Muslims. There were reports about the siphoning
of the relief material to the relief camps
inhabited by the non dalit or upper caste hindus
and how consciously these sections were left out
of its ambit in many cases.

One thing is very clear in all such cases. Giving
the exigencies of the situation no action would
have been taken against neither those Gujarat
people involved in discriminating against the
dalits and Muslims nor one can expect any action
against the Nagapattinam gentry which humiliated
the dalits. It would once again vindicate what
the n number of reports brought out by the
National Commission of SC and STs or the National
Human Rights Commission or independent groups
committed to the defence of human rights have
been repeating ad infinitum.  Their has been no
divergence of opinion among them about the fact
that the different institutions of the state
ranging from the police to the judiciary have
rather preferred to look the other way or have
connived with the powers that be in saving the
guilty when dalits and other oppressed sections
were humiliated or were subjected to violence.

It is clear that whereas the state has formally
abolished 'Untouchability' vide article 17 of the
Constitution and has forbidden its practice in
any form and made it punishable and despite its
providing number of safeguards to protect it from
all types of exploitation and ensure its allround
development, the situation on the ground keeps
reminding one of the bygone era. All of us are
aware that Article 15 the constitution has
mandated that no citizen shall on grounds only of
religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth or any
of them, be subject to any disability, liability,
restriction or condition with regard to (a)
access to shops, public restaurants, hotels and
places of public entertainment; or (b) the use of
wells, tanks, bathing ghats, roads and places of
public resort maintained wholly or partly out of
State funds or dedicated to the use of general
public. But one has no other option but to
concurr with the view of the  ex justice of the
Supreme Court Mr V.K. Krishna Aiyar that the laws
formulated for the protection of the dalits have
been effetively been turned into 'paper tigers'.

The 'Report on Prevention of Atrocities against
Scheduled Castes' (NHRC, 2004,Delhi) rightly
underlined the way the 'state has failed in this
respect' on 'several fronts'. According to the
conclusions of the report the state has failed on
'several fronts'. These are 'failure to
effectively implement the laws relating to
atrocities against SCs and STs' which is
'reflected both in respect of preventing violence
from taking place' as well as in the 'inability
to punish perpetrators of violence after the
crime is committed'; 'failure to act against its
own agencies involved in the commission of
violence ;' failure to strengthen the watchdog
institutions' etc. 'The failure of the state
vis-à-vis mobilization of caste Hindus in favour
of social democracy embedded in the constitution
and various laws and state policies' can also be
considered palpable which has 'created
ambivalence in its intentions and contradictions
in its actions' .

.The Sixth Report of the National Commission for
SCs and STs (1999-2000 and 2000-2001) had
expressed its deep sense of dissatisfaction over
the way all these measures are implemented. While
commenting that "..the number of cases registered
under Prevention of Civil Rights act and SC and
ST (Prevention of Atrocities) act has been
showing downward trend.. as a healthy development
"it exposes the way this reduction in no of cases
is achieved . According to the preface, " But
from its reviews with various state governments
the commission is of the view that a large number
of cases go unregistered, mainly because of the
reluctance on part of the police officers to
register the cases and also because of lack of
awareness among the members of these communities
about the provisions of these acts.
In addition, there are delays in investigation,
collusion with offenders and manipulation of
witnesses and evidence which all contribute to
reduce the effectiveness of these protective
legislations." (See Preface Page II) In the same
vein it tells us that in most of the states
neither the meetings of the monitoring and
vigilace committees are held regularly nor any
special courts are set up to deal with cases of
dalit atrocities.
It also adds: " The question of setting up
exclusive special courts, particularly in the
states having large pendency, needs serious
consideration of the government. The rate of
convictions in various states ranges from 5 to 10
percent and it is necessary to examine the
reasons for such low convictions rates and for
taking urgent corrective action."(ibid) According
to the commission ," The apex court has held that
the Special courts cannot directly entertain the
cases under these acts, without following
commital proceedings. It is, therefore, necessary
to amend these acts suitably to authorise the
special courts to admit cases under these acts
directly."(ibid).
One can go on mentioning the various schemes or
the affirmative action programmes run by the
government supposedly for the empowerment of the
dalits and also give details about the systematic
manner in which a conscious attempt is on to deny
what is due to them. One would be surprised to
know that not only thousands of posts which are
meant for them especially from the upper class
category have been lying vacant for years
together but there are thousands and thousands of
people belonging to the non dalit category who
have manipulated jobs meant for these sections by
procurring 'false certificates' and the concerned
authorities are sitting over this despite
repeated complaints by the aggrieved people. The
seriousness of the phenomenon of false
certificates can be gauged from the fact that the
last two annual reports of the National SC and ST
Commission ( since bifurcated) have devoted a
chapter each to discuss the gravity of the
situation arising out of this.
This makes it crystalclear that the state has to
show firm political will , get ready to make
amends to ameliorate the situation and move
beyond pious rhetoric if it is serious about the
commitments it made with the 'other people'
exactly 54 years back while promulgating the
constitution. But one cannot expect that their
would be any radical departure from the way in
which the state has been functioning.
The question naturally arises what is the way out
for the dalits and all those forces who are
fighting for the human rights dalits ? How does
one address this typical situation where we have
before us a state which has decorated its statue
books with many a dalit friendly laws to showcase
it to the civilized world and effectively sitting
over them.
The message is clear that unless and until there
is pressure from the people to implement the laws
or correct the infirmities inherent even 'hundred
Tsunamis cannot the break the wall of prejudice'
between the communities. But whether the much
trumpetted 'civil society' is ready for it !
3
".. you were born where you were born and faced a
future that you faced because you were black and
for no other reason. The limits of your ambition
were, thus, expected to be set forever. You were
born into a society, which spelt out with a
brutal clarity, in as many ways as possible, that
you are a worthless human being. You were not
expected to aspire to excellence ; you were
expected to make peace with mediocrity."
-James Baldwin, the African-Amercian writer,
"Letter to My Nephew On the One Hundredth
Anniversary of the Emancipation"
( Quoted in 'We, the other People" K.G.Kannabiran, The Hindu)

For an outsider it may appear surprising how the
'social nausea' ( to quote Ambedkar) refuses to
subside even in times of calamity also. But for
someone who is familiar with the Indian social
fabric the ageold doctrine of exclusion
legitimised and sanctified by the Brahminical
ideology culminating in such behaviour is a
'routine matter'. There is need to understand
that incidents of such nature (as witnessed in
Nagapattinam) demonstrate how this ideology of
purity and pollution has permeated deep down the
social fabric our society. Discrimination on the
basis of caste even while faced with a calamity
is a logical outcome of the common sense which
gets built up in such an ambience.

Ofcourse many people when confronted with such
incidents of denial of basic human rights to the
dalits and the institutionalisation of such
practices prefer to comfirt themselves with a
feeling that it is basically a 'rural phenomenon'
They churn out statistics or give examples to
demonstrate that how villages have become
cesspools of backwardness and how they are the
prime perpetrators of atrocities against them. A
closer look at the situation makes us clear that
this formulation is not true. Even a layperson
can  understand that a particular social
phenomenon with a centuries old history does not
seize to operate on physical boundaries. Even our
Metropolies exhibit this discrimination in myriad
ways. A leading social thinker rightly underlines
the fact that the prevalence of untouchability
which impacts the dalits in its most brutal
manner can be considered an added proof of the
much much tommed 'unity in diversity' theme of
our 'great nation'.

The fact is that a large majority of the people
who have not yet shed their varna mindset do not
want to concede this simple fact. They do not
want to recognise that the doctrine of exclusion
is an all pervasive phenomenon simply because
they themselves are 'beneficiaries of the caste
based order.' They have an interest in ( to quote
the Report on Prevention of Atrocities against
SCs and STs ) perpetuating "[t]he existing
unequal social relations" and have "[f]rustrated
attempts to democratize the society because
through the customary arrangements the dominant
castes are assured of 'access to cheap labour' ;
'social control over people'; 'priviledged
position with regard to development resources'.
Obviously they are not bothered with the clear
exposure of the the deep contradictions in social
values which are for everyone to see wherein
while they are ready 'to enjoy all rights and
privileges which a democratic liberal society has
given them' but deny the 'same very rights and
privileges to the SCs'.

The benefits accruing to them for not recognising
this reality are palpable. May it be the denial
of seats to the dalits in academic institutions
or the deliberate attempts to deny the benefits
due to them vis-v-vis the programmes of
affirmative actions or the refusal of the police
to even register cases against their perpetrators
etc they are the sole beneficiaries from  this.
If the behaviour of the state leaves much to be
desired the 'civil society' loaded with its varna
mindset does not at all come out in flying
colours. It is part and parcel of the conscious
attempts to exclude them from all seats of power
or privilege.

We are repeatedly told that the Indian society
has been quite forthcoming in imbibing new ideas
and new technologies and assessing opportunities
resulting from the same. Our being the third
largest humanpower of scientific and
technological personnel is also trumpetted from
rooftops. Rulers of this country in recent times
have also been clamouring for 'superpower status'
on the basis of these strengths.

But the alleged readiness our society to accept
liberal or progressive ideas from all corners of
the world to shape its own lives does not get
reflected in its conscious attempts to weed
itself of the structured hierarchy which is in
existence since ancient times. Our
intelligentsia may sing paens to our 'glorious
past' and but has never been forthcoming in
addressing the real problems faced by the
disprivileged. Infact a close look at the social
composition of our educational and different
academic institutions or for that matter the
different media houses which are inhabited by
them makes it evident how they have remained
inegalitarian till date.

We can call ourselves modern but with the
continuance and perpetuation of outdated customs,
traditions and the ever widening gap between our
personal and social lives we have demonstrated
once again that we have yet to come out of this
ambivalence between modernity and tradition.
The wee hours of the 21 st century have presented
before us a difficult task, the task of
reordering our society which denies social
equality to others and which exercises control
over bodies and lives of other people.

All of us have been witness as well participant
in the campaign to help the victims of Tsunami at
some level or the other. We have demonstrated how
people not only belonging to different faiths or
denominations but also wearing their atheism or
agnosticism on their sleeves came together to
help affected people. But it is a moot question
why 'Tsunami faced by the dalits daily' has
escaped our attention till date.

( Subhash Gatade, M.Tech from BHU (1981) is a
writer by profession and social activist by
choice. Regularly writes for Hindi, English and
Marathi newspapers and magazines. Edits a hindi
journal 'Sandhan')

DARK CLOUDS: A NEW GOVERNMENT ORDER TO SCATTER TSUNAMI SURVIVORS IN TAMIL NADU
by Babu Mathew
[January 16, 2005]
http://www.sacw.net/Nation/BabuMathew16Jan05.pdf

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/