SACW | 30-31 Dec 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Thu Dec 30 21:10:08 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   | 30-31 Dec.,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] India:
(i) The Tsunami Disaster (S. P. Udayakumar)
(ii) Delhi Tsunami Relief Fund  - Tsunami-Affected Communities Need Your Help!
(iii) www.searelief.mysprat.org
(iv) Darpana Academy Dance Performance in aid of
the victims of tsunami (Ahmedabad 4 Jan)
(v) Let Us Remember The 100,000 (Lahore, 31 December)
(vi) Sansad Appeal for victims of tsunami
[2] Bangladesh:  Salma's journey into activism (Hameeda Hossain)
[3] Pakistan: The passport controversy (Arif Jamal)
[4] India: [on teaching of Sanskrit in West
Bengal] Main Language (editorial, The Telegraph)
[5] India: VHP supremo asks Hindus to give up family planning
[6] Upcoming events and Publications Announcements:
(i) "Secularism From An Islamic Perspective"
Lecture by Dr. Abdullahi Ahmad An-Naim (New
Delhi, 31 Dec)
(ii) Zubaan Diary 2005
(iii) Call For Papers: roundtable on South Asian literature (oct, 2005)

THE TSUNAMI DISASTER

S. P. Udayakumar

December 30, 2005

I write this from the southern tip of India, a
region that has always been known for its
pristine beauty and tranquillity. No major wars
have been fought on this soil, no disaster has
stuck, nothing untoward has happened on a massive
scale, at least to my knowledge, in the past five
decades.

All this peaceful record ended so abruptly on
December 26, 2004 when a draconian tsunami lashed
out and wrecked thousands of lives and families.
The Kanyakumarians who have always looked up to
the sea as a source of food and nurturance,
spirituality and sacredness, enjoyment and
entertainment, had a rude awakening on the black
Sunday. With the beautiful frontyard to our
peninsular home retracting several hundred feet
for miles together, people were intrigued about
this wonderful sight of hitherto unseen
under-water territory. There were poor people who
were eagerly collecting the stranded fish and
crab for a free meal. There were Christmas
holidayers, internal and international tourists,
religious pilgrims taking the ceremonial dip in
the sea, and innocent bystanders - all had a rude
awakening when the cunningly crouched sea leaped
forth like a ferocious predator. Whole fishing
villages have disappeared; farmlands have been
inundated; people have lost friends, neighbors,
and
  acquaintances; the loss seems universal; there
is a debilitating sense of sadness and sorrow in
everybody's heart and soul. The whole dynamics of
life stands altered.

The union government, state government, local
government and all other government departments
have let us down so callously. Although there was
a golden gap of three hours between the
underwater earthquake off of Sumatra and the
tsunami attack on our coast, nobody gave an
inkling of what was coming our way. Had there
been at least a vague warning, it could have
alerted and hence saved thousands of people.

Displaying utter ignorance, our Chief Minister J.
Jayalalitha, the chief functionary of the state
government, went on repeating on TV on the day of
the disaster that there was no further danger
from tidal waves and even exhorted the affected
people to stay put. It does make one wonder what
the meterological department was doing during
those hours of crisis and if there was any kind
of coordination between the various departments
and people in power.

It is also equally disturbing to see our national
President, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, the notorious
father of our nuclear bomb, calling for a tsunami
warning system along the entire Indian coastline
after the tragedy has swallowed up so many
thousands of innocent lives. How would this
high-tech hawkish guru who dreams of America-like
India explain why a highly- and densely-populated
country with 7,000-km coastline never even
bothered about joining the Pacific tsunami
warning system?

The answer is obvious. The Indian elites have
always shown interest in those "development"
projects and defence deals where they could steal
huge amounts of public money and have largely
ignored the small steps that could make the life
of "ordinary citizens" safe and secure. The
Indian establishment and its head priests have
been preoccupied with nuclear bombs,
long-distance missiles, mission to the Moon, and
a permanent seat at the UN Security Council. A
simple safety procedure such as joining the
international tsunami warning system to save the
ordinary Indians' lives from an impending
disaster is too small a thing for them to worry
about.

This tsunami attack is yet another proof of our
pathetic national record of emergency
preparedness. Even after five days of the tsunami
assault, there have been bloated human bodies and
animal caracasses rotting on the open beaches and
spreading diseases. Most victims who are
languishing in the temporary shelters with
intimate losses and incredible traumas have been
complaining about the lackadaisical relief work
of the government authorities. Politicians blame
each other, ministers blame top bureaucrats, top
bureaucrats blame the chotawallahs (lower
officials); and all this betray our uncoordinated
and utterly inefficient administration of the
country. On the day of the disaster, this writer
did not spot even one police officer or fire
service personnel or a government official on the
roads. It was the unequipped and empty-handed
civilians who were helping each other.

The officials of the Kalpakkam nuclear power
station (that is located near Chennai) claimed
first that they had switched off their only
functioning reactor the moment they had heard
about the earthquake near Indonesia. When people
started asking uncomfortable questions about
their not intimating this information to other
government agencies, the Kalpakkam authorities
modified their report saying that the reactor
shut down "instantaneously" after sea water
entered the plant premises. Some 65 people
including 10 nuclear plant scientists are
reported dead in the tsunami tragedy. The
foundations dug for the upcoming Prototype Fast
Breeder Reactor (PFBR) plants are flooded and
some construction workers killed.

If the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE)
officials are unable to protect their own men and
machines from a natural disaster, how on the
Earth are they going to protect us, evacuate us,
rehabilitate us and safeguard our safety and
security from possible attacks and accidents on a
nuclear power plant? There have been persistent
rumors about possible radiation leaks from the
Kalpakkam plant, but the DAE and senior
government officials give themselves "completely
safe" certificate. If that is really so, why
can't we have any independent inspection and
verification by a group of independent scientists
and Indian citizens? These questions are very
troubling.

The DAE and the Indian government are building
another nuclear power plant at Koodankulam (near
the southernmost tip of India) that also sits on
the Bay of Bengal badly affected by the tsunami.
Neighboring coastal villages such as
Idinthakarai, Kooduthazhai, Koothankuzhi, Uvari,
Koottapuli have all been damaged by the tidal
waves. If the Koodankulam nuclear power site is
this vulnerable, should we go ahead with the
construction of this mega-nuclear site? "Of
course," answers the DAE. Like all the nuclear
departments around the world would do, the Indian
nukedom also claims that they can take care of
all these eventualities.

The good news, however, is that the "ordinary
citizens" of our area know for themselves now our
establishment's safety awareness and emergency
preparedness. And they may be asking some serious
questions about the "development" projects that
the Indian elites are executing (no pun
intended): Colachel commercial harbor (instead of
the fishing harbor that our fishing community has
been demanding); Koodankulam nuclear power plant
built with Russian VVER technology at
Koodankulam; Nuclear Fuel Complex at Palaya
Kayal; Sethusamudram Canal Project (that would
dig a short-cut sea route through the Palk Strait
between India and Sri Lanka (and damage the
ecological balance of the area). All in the name
of development! The development of our elites!
Naturally, our "ordinary" citizens' cry for
appropriate technology and sustainable
development would sound unpatriotic and even
anti-national.
May 1998 - March 2002:
<groups.yahoo.com/group/sap/messages/1>
Feb. 2001 - to date:
<groups.yahoo.com/group/SAAN_/messages/1>

To subscribe send a blank message to:
<saan_-subscribe at yahoogroups.com>

South Asians Against Nukes Website:
www.s-asians-against-nukes.org

_____

(ii)

TSUNAMI-AFFECTED COMMUNITIES NEED YOUR HELP!

Friends, as the year draws to a close and while
people in other parts of the country are looking
forward to a weekend of festivities, thousands in
Andaman & Nicobar, Tamilnadu, Pondicherry, Kerala
and Andhra Pradesh are staring into a bleak
future. The killer tsunami – giant tidal waves
unleashed by an undersea earthquake in the Indian
Ocean – that struck the South Indian coast on 26
December has left a trail of death and
destruction in its wake. Thousands have died,
many more have lost their loved ones, their homes
and their hopes.

Reports and assessments of the exact damage are
still coming in. Preliminary reports from local
sources suggest that at least 15,000 people have
lost their lives, of whom one third are likely to
be children. Many thousands more are missing. The
lives and livelihoods of at least 300,000
families have been affected.

The damage is the worst in the Andaman & Nicobar
Islands and Tamilnadu. Kerala, Pondicherry and
Andhra Pradesh have also been affected. In all
these States, it is the fishing communities that
have been hardest hit. Already struggling with
poverty and an uncertain livelihood, they now
find themselves completely destitute. Their
dwellings are destroyed, their boats, nets and
livelihoods lost, their families devastated.

A large number of volunteers from local social
action groups, community organisations and
Government agencies are working to provide
immediate relief to the affected communities.
People from other parts of the affected States
have rallied in support and have mobilised to
provide food, medicines and shelter materials to
those in need. In Delhi, a consortium of
concerned organisations and individuals has come
together to form the Delhi Tsunami Relief
Committee to coordinate assistance and support to
local organisations involved in the relief
efforts.

While immediate necessities are being met from
local sources, the greater need is for economic
rehabilitation and restoration of livelihoods.
The affected communities do not want to beg for
aid – they are independent fisher-people who are
proud of their skills and confident of their
abilities to rebuild their lives.  The money that
we in Delhi are able to raise will be used to
support affected families in replacing the boats,
nets and other productive assets which they have
lost, and which will enable them to regain their
livelihoods.

Our priorities for support will be the worst
affected villages and hamlets in Andaman &
Nicobar and Tamilnadu. We will be channelling
support through local organisations who are
working directly with affected communities for
rehabilitation and  restoration of livelihoods.

We appeal to you to contribute generously to the
Tsunami Relief Fund and help the affected
communities to rebuild their lives and live with
dignity.

Cheques should be made out to "Delhi Tsunami
Relief Fund". Cheques and cash donations can be
handed over to our volunteers or sent to: Indian
Social Institute, 10, Institutional Area, Lodhi
Road, New Delhi 110 003

All India Students’ Federation
All India Trade Union Congress
All India Youth Federation
ANHAD
ANKUR
AVARD
Centre for Education and Communication
Christian Aid, Delhi
CITU
Delhi Forum
Environics Trust
Gandhi Peace Foundation
Guild of Service
HAQ: Centre for Child Rights
Human Rights Law Network
Hind Mazdoor Sabha
Indian Social Institute
JAGORI
JNU Students’ Union
JNU Teachers’ Association
KRITI
Labour File
National Fishermen’s Forum
Nirantar
Pakistan-India Peoples' Forum for Peace and Democracy
PRASAR
Research Foundation for Science and Technology
SAHELI
SAPI-JESA
SRUTI
The Other Media
Worldwide Fund for Nature
Youth for Peace

For more information contact:

Centre for Education and Communication: 32270650;
Delhi Forum: 26680914 & 26687724; JAGORI:
26257140  & 51643134; Indian Social Institute:
24622379 & 24625015 and The Other Media: 51652451
& 51652452; Anhad-23327366/ 67

For tax exemption on donations, contact: Indian
Social Institute, 10, Institutional Area, Lodhi
Road, NEW DELHI 110 003.
Website: <http://www.tsunamireliefdel.org/>www.tsunamireliefdel.org

o o o o

(iii)

Dear Friend in Solidarity SEA Relief

The killer Tsunami death toll has exceeded 60,000
and is rising. Indian casualties alone have
crossed the 10,000 mark. Millions have been
rendered homeless throughout Asia. And the
aftermath is apprehended to take an even higher
toll. This natural disaster calls for a massive,
concerted effort on the part of fellow humans.
The Citizens' Initiative - a collective of
Gujarat NGOs - has initiated mobilizing relief in
a coordinated way. St Xavier's Social Service
Society will coordinate the physical movement of
resources and manpower with the help of Janpath
and other NGOs. SPRAT has set up a functional web
interface at http://www.searelief.mysprat.org to
connect the needy with the provider, and to
facilitate rapid information exchange. The
Discussion Forum will not only send out emails to
all registered users but also serve as an archive
of relevant information and images. Imagine a NGO
in Cudalore or Nicobar having urgent requirements
and a Gujarat NGO having just that resource to
supply. Or some doctors of Gujarat volunteering
to go serve the South, but not knowing where to
go. And people out there requiring just them. Now
all they need to do is to post their need and
resources here. Of course, free of cost. The site
will be updated soon in the light of your
feedback.
With fraternal greetings
Amit Rami
SPRAT - Society for Promotion of Rational Thinking
SF-8, Rajnagar Complex, Narayan Nagar Road, Paldi,
AHMEDABAD 380 007
Tel:+79-2663 46 55 /66 /77 Fax: +79-2661 20 49
email: relief at mysprat.org Web: www.mysprat.org

o o o

(iv)

Dear Friends -

Darpana Academy presents: In aid of the victims of the tsunami tidal tragedy:::

Tha Dance of Life, a history of Indian Science,

at 8:30 pm on the 4th of January

at Natrani,
Darpana Academy
Usmanpura,
Ahmedabad

donor passes of Rs. 150 and Rs 500
will be available at the darpana gate at the time of the show.

all contributions will be acknowledged at
http://searelief.mysprat.org and will be tax
exempt under section 80 G.

Natarani - natarani at icenet.net, natarani at darpana.com
+91 079 27556669, 27560971

o o o o

(v)

LET US REMEMBER THE 100,000

Over 100,000 have so for lost their lives in the worst ever Tsunami Disaster
tragedy. The numbers are growing every hour. The world is mourning this
great tragedy.

But look at the generosity of the imperialist rulers.

After being accused of stinginess, the U.S. doubled its aid to the
earthquake victims, it is now sending $35 million; that's almost half Steve
Job's income in 2003. Apple computer paid him a miserable $75 million. Of
course, there's the $2bn a week spent "liberating" the Iraqi people so money
is tight.

Since 2001, Labour Party Pakistan alongside with some social organizations
ate celebrating the New Year night as the "peace night". This year we cannot
celebrate; only remember those who are no more with us. Also to protest on
the attitude of Pakistan military regime and US imperialism for not lending
the support that was needed for those hit by Tsunami.

Let us gather at Regal Chouck Lahore at 11 to 12pm to remember the "loves
one" that are no more. Bring candles and flowers with you as many as
possible.

Be there at 11 pm on 31st December 2004.

In Solidarity,

Farooq Tariq

o o o

(vi)

Dear friends:

The stories, the visuals, the sounds are all
horrifying. Over sixty thousand already dead, and
the number keeps rising by the day. They say it
is the worst natural disaster ever.

Informed observors have commented that much of
the loss of human life could have been averted
had there been advance warning systems in place,
or if those who had the advance warning had
passed it on  to the governments around the
Indian ocean. We will share these observations
with you in due course.

IN THE MEANTIME, relief efforts have to be
intensified, expanded. The survivors have to be
given their lives back: food, clothes, medicines,
water, roofs, livelihood.

We appeal to you to give what you can, give generously.

For those in Canada can send their (tax
deductible) contributions on-line by going to
this site of Canadian Red Cross:

	https://www.strategicprofitsinc.com/hosted/redcross/index.php

	In the designation choices, you could
highlight "Asia Tidal waves and earth quake"

Those in the USA, could send their contributions
to the American Red Cross, or to the following
charitable organizations (geared exclusively for
help in India):

	http://survivors.aidindia.org
	http://singhfoundation.org/

Those wishing to have their contributions sent
exclusively to Sri Lanka (the worst affected
country in South Asia) could do so by depositing
their contributions made out in the name of Tamil
Rehabilitation Organization - Canada
(TRO-Canada), at any branch of TD Canada Trust.
	The Transit Number is 540, and the Account number is: 500 1027.

Many, many thanks.

hari sharma
for SANSAD

The Daily Star
December 31, 2004

In Memoriam
SALMA'S JOURNEY INTO ACTIVISM

by Hameeda Hossain

Salma Sobhan never wanted to be an icon. In fact,
she avoided stage lights, but ironically, she has
become a public figure and now, a year after she
left us, she is remembered not only by family and
friends, but nationally and internationally by
many others. An award for journalists has been
established in her name by Professor Amartya
Sen's Protichi Foundation, a volume containing
some of her writings has been published by ASK,
and at several commemorative meetings, she has
been held up as an example of a selfless human
rights worker.

The reasons why have been brought out in the
commemorative meetings. In her personal life, she
was clear about rights and wrongs, and while she
had little time for hypocrisy, she was tolerant
of the views of others and didn't make value
judgements. She was able to discuss issues
honestly, and talk about events or people she
knew with humour and without rancour. These were
qualities that endeared her personally to all
those who came into contact with her. She had a
large number of personal friends not only in
Bangladesh, but in the UK where she studied, and
indeed in many other countries. Even though her
parents were both public figures, her father
having served as Pakistan's Foreign Secretary and
her mother having been a member of Pakistan's
first Parliament, Salma avoided the public glare.

Her active public engagement emerged later, and
more by chance than a determined decision. In
commemorating her life, we remember these
qualities, but more than that, we chart her
journey as a humanist who became an activist
because she translated her personal values into a
public struggle for justice.

She became the first woman barrister in Pakistan
in 1959, but unlike other lawyers who pursued
their profession single-mindedly, she had a wide
range of interests. She was well versed in
literature, particularly in Urdu and English, and
would quote verses extensively from memory. She
was also addicted to thrillers and children's
fiction.

Her traditional upbringing didn't make her
illiberal. Even though she was deeply religious
and grew up in a relatively conservative, social
environment she didn't hesitate to speak out
against religious injustice or sham religious
practices. When she designed the BRAC legal
literacy programme, she was able to reach out to
ordinary village women, to make them understand
what their rights were in inheritance or
marriage. With her ability to communicate, she
was able to demystify the laws so that women
could learn to defy unfair decisions that are
often forced upon them in the name of religion.
With her knowledge of religious texts she was
able to challenge religious bigots, who thrived
on people's ignorance.

Dhaka in the 60s
Salma came to Dhaka in 1962 after she married
Rehman Sobhan. She decided not to practice and
instead she started teaching at the university.
She had a great way of reaching out to her
students, and often valued their understanding of
reality over her theoretical knowledge. Although
she was flummoxed on reading a student's answer
to the question "Name three means by which
property is acquired" that "Property is acquired
through forgery, theft, and other means" she
decided that the hapless student deserved at
least some points!

The political situation in the latter part of the
sixties became quite tense. Rehman Sobhan became
involved with the political opposition. He had
written the definitive article on "two economies"
and although Salma shied away from political
involvement, she did engage with the current
intellectual debates. In the sixties, she was
part of a group of university professors and
other professionals who brought out pamphlets to
explain the reasons for disparity between East
and West Pakistan, on absence of democracy, and
so on. These pamphlets published under the name
of NACEP were popular amongst university
students. Later she was part of a small group
that published a political weekly Forum from 1967
until it was closed down in March 1971.

1971 and after
She could not escape the impact of political
events and when March 25 happened, she was left
to cope alone. The Pakistan military came to her
house asking for Rehman, who fortunately had left
the house earlier and sought shelter elsewhere.
Salma managed to fly with her sons to Karachi,
from where her sister Princess Sarvath of Jordan
arranged her onward flight to England. She lived
in Oxford, teaching and caring for her sons
Taimur, Babar, and Zafar, while Rehman was busy
lobbying for Bangladesh in different capitals.

Homecoming in 1972 was more than traumatic for
everyone. Salma returned and picked up the
strands of her life in the university, with
friends who had survived the genocide. She shared
the exhilaration, but was sensitive to dangers
her friends had lived through and the sadness in
the entire country. She was concerned about the
symptoms of populism, of charisma lending itself
to a personality cult.

She had said, very presciently, "What will come
after the euphoria? Authoritarianism?" She often
expressed her disappointment at undemocratic
tendencies, which prevailed even after the
massive resistance to the military rule and
autocracy. She did what was characteristic of
her, and what few others could bring themselves
to, which was to refuse to sign the BAKSAL
membership, even though she had been urged to do
so by her university colleagues, and had herself
supported the Awami League.

With the assassinations of August 15, she and her
family became nomads again and lived in Oxford
for five or six years, looking after the children
and leading a peaceful life. When she returned in
1980, she gave up academics and joined Bangladesh
Institute of Law and International Affairs. She
edited the Bangladesh Supreme Court Reports and
co-authored a volume on women industrial workers.
At around this time she published the first
overview volume of women's legal status and
rights in Bangladesh. But she was not satisfied
with authoring these pieces of non-fiction, and
her one ambition was to author her "deathless
novel." Indeed, she has left several unfinished
manuscripts which now need to be published.

In the nineties
During the movement against Ershad's
dictatorship, Salma was particularly concerned
that the end to military rule might lead to
elections and a civil government but not to the
end of autocratic tendencies. While we marched on
the streets shouting slogans against Ershad's
military dictatorship in the eighties, we were
conscious that elections would not bring the end
of the day, since the powerful would control the
state, communities would remain hierarchical, and
the family would still be a major site of
injustice. She started to think about more
practical ways to support people's struggles and
became the main mover amongst nine of us who
discussed how best to support people's struggles
for their rights through legal aid -- a fairly
new idea for Bangladesh.

Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK)
That was the beginning of ASK. Since she had
resigned from BILIA, and was in any case most
qualified to do so, Salma was requested to start
the work. Little did she realise that it would be
so absorbing. She was able to attract a nucleus
of young lawyers and others who became human
rights activists. Legal aid was not restricted to
purely technical legal help. On the contrary, as
the result of its deep interaction with clients
-- mainly women, workers and even working
children -- the centre developed a more holistic
support for the disenfranchised, to support them
in their struggle for rights. Many of the support
systems were very innovative and have become role
models.

Today ASK is a far cry from when it first began
in Nurjehan Murshed's garage on Satmasjid Road,
waiting for needy clients, who had never heard of
such a thing as free legal aid. The office then
moved to two rooms in Inner Circular Road where
it was set up with old, borrowed furniture. Even
though the staff turned to her for advice and
guidance, and she supported all the innovative
ideas, she kept herself in the background.

Setting up and running an organisation and
getting disparate people to work together is no
joke in Bangladesh. ASK has now acquired a
reputation as a leading human rights
organisation. It wasn't easy going, and Salma may
not have known what she was getting into when she
started, but her inimitable sensitivity to other
people's problems helped her provide leadership.

She decided quite wisely, that ASK would have to
be non-traditional, lawyers would have to reach
out so people could understand their rights
before they would challenge their subordination.
Slowly, as ASK supported individuals in their
personal struggles -- the many women with stories
of marital disputes and violence, workers who
weren't paid even after working 14 hours,
children working in middle class homes unable to
experience childhood -- she came to understand
that behind the endless tales of domination,
control, and violence lay a more systemic abuse
of power.

The problems needed more than band-aid measures.
ASK began to broaden its struggle for rights. One
morning in 1989, Susan Davis (then with the Ford
Foundation) called to say she had seen bulldozers
literally tearing huts apart in the Taltola
bosti. Salma immediately called Tahmina Rahman
and other lawyers, and we rushed to the site.
Barrister M. Amirul Islam argued the case, and
obtained a stay order from the courts. As a
result, the people still live on this site,
without permanent housing, but surviving and with
some kind of shelter. This was the beginning of
ASK's engagement with the right to housing.

Subsequently, ASK has continued to raise eviction
as a human rights issue and in some cases the
court has recognised the primary responsibility
of the state. But governments are harder to
impress, particularly as they become beholden to
business interests. And whether military or
elected governments, property development and
profits rather than the right to housing has
become the main mover of urban development
policies. With so many other incidents catalysing
ASK into seeking more in-depth solutions, Salma
began to act not merely as a lawyer offering
technical help, but as a humanitarian person and
real human rights lawyer, providing solidarity
for and supporting struggles all the way through.

In 1993 and 1994 when there was a sudden epidemic
of fatwas issued against women, and religious
extremists were holding demonstrations against
writers, journalists, and NGOs, and calling for
them to be silenced, ASK took a strong stand.
Although ASK was criticised (by other women's
rights activists as well) for defending Taslima
Nasreen, Salma remained strong in a commitment to
her freedom of speech, and that of others, even
though she may not have agreed with what was
said. This involvement led to the making of the
film Eclipse by Shaheen Akhtar and Shameem
Akhter. Salma received an award in Los Angeles
and acknowledged it graciously on ASK's behalf.

By the turn of the century, Salma felt she had
done her bit. She decided to retire officially
and allow a transition in the organisation. It is
a tribute to her leadership that ASK has
continued to work independently and courageously
even without her. On December 29 last year, Salma
made a special effort to come to ASK for some
legal negotiations. She was able to represent
both sides fairly with a win-win option because
of her sense of fair play. She was at her
professional best that afternoon, working out
with such clarity the complex details of who
would benefit from what, and

what needed to be done. The next morning we heard
that she had died of a heart attack.

Salma used to describe ASK as a jazz combo, where
players improvised together, unlike hierarchical
organisations, which were more efficient, but
where the orchestra would have to respond to the
conductor. An apt analogy. I think the best
tribute we can pay her is to say that she
succeeded in inspiring a collective spirit
amongst all those with whom she worked. This
included not only ASK, but the many other
organisations inside and outside Bangladesh that
she worked with intimately.

Dr. Hameeda Hossain is a human rights activist
and founder member of Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK).
Barrister Salma Sobhan, upon graduation from Cambridge University, 1958

The News International
December 30, 2004

THE PASSPORT CONTROVERSY

By Arif Jamal

The controversy over eliminating the religion
column in the newly introduced machine-readable
passports refuses to die. It is, in fact,
becoming more acrimonious with the passage of
time. The religious right and the government
remain locked in a potentially explosive
controversy. In the absence of any mentionable
protest against the demand to re-incorporate the
religion column in the new passports, the
religious right feels more encouraged. The
Muttahidda Majlis-i-Amal (MMA) has vowed to raise
this issue along with that of the military
uniform of General Pervez Musharraf at future
protest rallies while the remaining religious
right is also trying to take its protests in the
streets.

Leader of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League (Q)
Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain's intervention in favour
of incorporating the religion column in the new
machine-readable passports has only boosted the
morale of the religious right. In fact, he has
gone one step further by vowing to compel the
government to write the words "Islamic Republic
of..." before "Pakistan" in English also on the
front cover of the passports, apparently
dissatisfied with the words "Islamic Republic of
Pakistan" being inscribed only in Urdu.

Although the government has introduced
modifications in the new passports, the religious
right has protested only against the elimination
of the religion column. But their argument that
the members of the Ahmedia community may use the
new passports to visit the holy cities of Makkah
and Madina in Saudi Arabia, where non-Muslims are
not ordinarily allowed, carries little weight. A
large number of Ahmedis live abroad where they
are considered non-Muslims. Moreover, most
countries do not mention the religion of their
citizens on their passports.

Nothing stops a Canadian or a British Ahmedi from
visiting Makkah and Madina whenever he or she
wants. It is equally wrong to imagine that the
Saudis stop every non-Muslim from entering the
holy cities. They have selectively permitted and
encouraged non-Muslims to visit the holy cities.
The foremost example that instantly comes to mind
is the eviction of the Saudi Muslim dissidents,
who occupied the holy Ka'aba in 1979, with the
help of non-Muslim troops. Politics takes
precedence over religion even for the Saudi
regime.

The fuss about the religion column in the new
passports is certainly not without reason. In an
Islamic state, as it exists in the imagination of
the religious right today, every non-Muslim
citizen should be easily identifiable to the
majority Muslim population for various purposes.
In an Islamic state, they believe that Muslims
should know whom they are dealing with while
employing someone or even just talking to
someone. When I recently asked a madrassah
teacher why there is such a fuss about the
religion column, his answer did not surprise me.
"As a Muslim, I should not say Assalamo Alaikum
to a non Muslim even by mistake."

The ongoing controversy in Pakistan reminds one
of the policies of the Taliban in Afghanistan,
who claimed to have set up supposedly a true
Islamic state of modern times. After
consolidating their control over the state
apparatus, they asked every Afghan Hindu to wear
clothes that distinguished them from the rest of
the Afghan population. They did not levy any such
condition on the Afghan Sikhs, saying they were
already distinguishable by their turbans. If
there had been no 9/11, they might have at least
tried to impose the same condition on their
Shiite population, whom they also considered
non-Muslim. A young Taliban worker told me at a
training camp in Jalalabad in 2000 that in spite
of a more humane and tolerant faÁade, the
Pakistani religious right is not any different
from their Afghan counterparts.

Similarly, it was General Ziaul Haq who inserted
the religion column as part of his efforts to
turn Pakistan into a theocratic state. If the
Taliban movement had preceded General Zia, his
efforts to turn Pakistan into a theocratic state
would have been described as the Talibanisation.
His action was part of what later came to be
known as the Talibanisation. Therefore, accepting
this demand of the Pakistani religious right will
in future come to be known as part of the
Talibanisation of Pakistan. It will only propel
the religious right to make similar demands in
the future until they achieve the total
Talibanisation of the Pakistani state and society.

After Chaudhry Sahib's intervention in favour of
the religious right, there is little doubt that
the government will likely cringe and accede to
further demands of the religious right. In fact,
after the intervention of PML-Q, the government
has already begun stamping the new passports with
"hamil haza musalmaan hai" (The bearer of this
passport is a Muslim).

In fact, Chaudhry Sahib's intervention should
have given the government an opportunity to show
how it would not succumb to the religious right,
even within its own ranks. Now, the Chaudhry has
reportedly even convinced Interior Minister Aftab
Ahmed Sherpao to incorporate the religion column
in the new passports and expects the formal
decision to be taken in the next cabinet meeting.

Recent history clearly shows that the mixing of
religion and politics has not served the
interests of the Muslim world. The separation of
religion and politics is the first step towards
taking the Muslim world out of its present day
predicaments. The state should not be privy about
a citizen's religious beliefs, except for the
census of the adherents of a certain religion or
sect. The government must not capitulate before
the religious right on this issue. This would be
the first step towards the separation of religion
and politics.

The writer is a free-lance journalist based in Lahore

The Telegraph
December 30, 2004 |  Editorial

MAIN LANGUAGE

One of the worst, and the least commented upon,
impact of the growing influence of the sangh
parivar is its association with Sanskrit. The
scriptures to which the parivar alludes to are
all written in Sanskrit. Sanskrit was the lingua
franca of the pre-Muslim golden age that they
invoke and aspire to. Even though very few
members of the parivar are actually learned in
Sanskrit, the ideology of Hindutva has an
immediate association with the language. The
idealogues of the parivar have cleverly played on
this association for their own political
convenience. This has hampered the evaluation of
Sanskrit as a language. All too often it is
written off as a dead language that is not
amenable to modern knowledge-systems. Under the
circumstances, it is heartening to learn that the
Left Front government has decided to take steps
to revive the learning of Sanskrit and to promote
it. It proposes to do this by upgrading the few
hundred tols that exist in West Bengal. For
centuries, the tols have been the traditional
seats of Sanskrit learning. The government plans
to reform the tol curriculum so that students
there do not get isolated from mainstream
education.

While the plan to modernize the tol syllabus is
laudable, it needs to be emphasized that
traditional Sanskrit learning, from at least the
17th century, had in it distinct modernist
elements. The Sanskrit-based knowledge system had
its own structure of logic and ratiocination
which was sophisticated and in no way inferior to
the epistemology developed by Western
philosophers from Rene Descartes onwards. There
could be nothing more simplistic than to see
Sanskrit as a vehicle of pre-/anti-modernist
learning. For the left, the encouragement of
Sanskrit will also have an inevitable, if
unintended, result. The development of Sanskrit
will automatically nurture Bengali since Bengali
and its enrichment are dependent on Sanskrit,
which is the mother language. Politically, the
left's support of Sanskrit will break the
monopoly that the sangh parivar tries to impose
on Sanskrit and the rich corpus of learning and
culture that goes with the classical language.
From a very purist viewpoint, the knowledge of a
classical language is as essential a component of
learning and education as the knowledge of
mathematics and a modern language. The
encouragement to be provided to Sanskrit might be
the first step towards such an education system.

http://www.newkerala.com/

VHP SUPREMO ASKS HINDUS TO GIVE UP FAMILY PLANNING:

[India News]: Rohtak, Dec 29 : VHP president
Ashok Singhal today said Hindus should give up
family planning so that their population does not
go down.
Speaking at the inaugural session of VHP's joint
meeting of the international board of trustees
and the central management committee, he said
population of minorities, especially muslims had
been rising at "such a fast pace" that it would
be 25 to 30 per cent of the total population in
50 years.
Singhal said it would be "suicidal" for Hindus if
they did not raise their population.
He said that it was essential to build a Ram
temple at Ayodhya for 'dharmik azadi' (religious
freedom) of the Hindus. PTI

______

[6]   [ANNOUNCEMENTS]

(i)

Invitation

Lecture by Dr. Abdullahi Ahmad An-Naim, Professor
of Law, Emory University, Atlanta, USA on
"Secularism From An Islamic Perspective"