Sri Lanka - India: 3 Appeals Tsunami/ Quake Relief

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Dec 28 04:39:13 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire Special  | 28 Dec.,  2004
[Sri Lanka - India: 3 Appeals Tsunami/ Quake Relief]

[1] Sri Lanka: Tsunami/Earth Quake Relief in
[2] India: Appeal from women's groups
(I) Women's Collective  & Tamilnadu Resource Team
Appeals That The Nation Rise As One To The Rescue
And Rehabilitation Effort
(II) Appeal from Sakhi Resource center for women
[3] Appeal to Support Relief Work in South East and West India

o o o o o o

[1]

Tsunami/Earth Quake Relief in Sri Lanka
IMMEDIATE  ACTION  PLAN
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am glad that you all are working so hard to
raise funds for this urgent cause to help those
who are affected from the "tsunamis" in Sri
Lanka.  It is feared the death toll may be over
15,000 in Sri Lanka alone, and over 35,000 in
total.  In addition to 600,000 injured people, 2
million people (~10% of the entire population)
are displaced.  What a disasterŠ

Many of the medical facilities in the affected
areas confirmed that they lack the life-saving
basic medical supplies (antibiotics, wound
dressings supplies, oral and intravenous
rehydration fluids, syringes and needles,
fracture splints, etc).  So the absolute priority
for us is to provide these hospitals with medical
supplies.  We need the assistance of all
pharmaceutical companies in US and elsewhere.  We
are collecting urgent medical supplies in New
Jersey and have arranged to airlift a container a
day from Newark Airport to Colombo, Sri Lanka
starting 12/28/2004.  However, we need the life
saving medicine and medical supplies ASAP to be
delivered to the wear house.  We need the
pharmaceutical industry to donate the medicine
required for victims of this natural disaster in
Sri Lanka.

We are also bulk purchasing life-saving
medications from India, especially since the cost
of medication in India is about 1/10th of the
cost in the US.  These will be delivered directly
to the hospitals in affected areas.  This would
be very much more efficient and also far more
cost-effective than trying to purchase small
quantities of medicine and other essential items
from various sources using different funds.
Therefore, it would be wise to consolidate our
efforts in this regard.

Other essential items include food and safe
drinking water, water purification tablets, and
also providing facilities at temporary shelters
(such as at temples and schools).  Cash donations
will also be made to charities working at the
grass root level in Sri Lanka, so that we could
enhance their efficiency (effectiveness of relief
program).

Option for additional fund raising:  I-FREED is a
registered charity in USA.  If it is useful, we
are happy to provide you a formal letter of
request from I-FREED to your company for
tax-deductible monetary donations.  These can be
used for purchasing these medications and other
essential life-saving items.  Please approach
everyone including your work colleagues and
friends.  Your prompt contributions will help
save lives.  Please donate generously.  Once
again, the biggest impact we can make is in the
immediate future, as without additional
medication and food supplies, there is no telling
how many more people will die within the coming
days.

We look forward for you joining these efforts.

Sunil Wimalawansa, MD, PhD
President, I-FREED (A Registered Charity in US)
			(12/27/2004)
[International Foundation of Reawakening,
Empowerment, Education and Development]

A).  Donation of medicine and medical equipments:
        Please arrange to deliver these items to
the 'SriLankan Air' (National Air Carrier)
  warehouse in Edison, New Jersey (908-361-2621):

B).  Monetary donations: to "Tsunami Relief Fund",
Bank Address: U.S. BANK, 1015 West Saint Germain Street, St. Cloud, MN 56301;
Tel: (320) 251-7110   "Tsunami Relief Fund"  -
Checking account number: 104757749288 ;  Routing
Number:  091000022

Write checks to "Tsunami Relief Fund", and mail your checks to:
2716 Edward Drive, St. Cloud. MN 56301; tel: (320) 308-2189
  or,
  to I-FREED Account;' see www.i-freed.org
Wells Fargo Bank: Account Number 636-0507468;
Wire Transfer Routing Number: 121000248;
Electronic Transfer Routing Number: 111900659

Urgently Required Items:
Immediate necessities:  Medicine in general,
urgent medical supplies, "Antibiotics",
Anti-diarrheal agents/Gastro-intestinal
antibiotics, Wound care supplies (cotton Wool,
bandages, gauze/lint, Dettol, surgical equipment
for suturing, etc), Drinking water, Water
purification tables, Immunization/vaccines, oral
and IV rehydration solutions.  Feeding bottles,
teats for baby feeding bottles & baby foods.

Medium term: Providing shelters, clothing, food,
milk powder for infants and children, drinking
water (bottled or canned), kids stuff, clothes
blankets etc., and assistance in rebuilding.

Longer-term projects: Re-building houses,
schools, hospitals, infrastructure, etc.
=======================================
Sunil Wimalawansa, MD, PhD, FRCP, DSc
Professor of Medicine
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Chief of Endocrinology, Metabolism & Nutrition
Director, Regional Osteoporosis Center, MEB-372
P.O. Box 19, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0019, USA
Tel: 732-235-9589;  Fax: 732-235-8892
e-mail: wimalasu at umdnj.edu
suniljw at hotmail.com

o o o o o o o

[2]

Friends,
Pasted below are relevant extracts from 2 member
groups of the National Network of Autonomous
Women's Groups of India and the National
Coordination Committee for the AFGs' National
Conferences- The Tamil Nadu Women's Collective in
Chennai and Sakhi in Kerala - on the situation of
the Tsunami affected in South India.
They are working with others, but will surely
focus on the fisherfolk who seem to be the
worst-affected on the Indian mainland.
We are all watching the whole thing on TV;
stupefaction is the only word to describe one's
state of mind.
Ammu Abraham, Women's Centre, Bombay
-----------------------------
(I)

WOMEN'S COLLECTIVE  & TAMILNADU RESOURCE TEAM
APPEALS THAT THE NATION RISE AS ONE TO THE RESCUE
AND REHABILITATION EFFORT

.......In Chennai all the fishing hamlets are
affected. The severly affected places includes
Srinivasapuram in Pattinapakkam where more than
30 dead bodies are identified.  Nearly 15
identified bodies are that of small children who
were actually playing in the beach have been
kille dby the killer wave. Nearly 1000 huts are
sweft away by the wave. Sea water has entered the
housing board flats in the same area. Several
other fishing settlement along Marina are also
affected very badly. Thedeer Kuppam with 300
huts, Nadu Kuppam with 350 huts, Nochi Kuppam
with 300 huts will also fall under the severly
affected area. Ayodhya Kuppam, Nanttan Kuppam are
the other fishing settlements which are affected
in Chennai.  So far 170 bodies are recovered from
the sea  and of which 131 are identified. Several
hundreds of people from these settlements are
still missing.

The damages include loss of life, house,
household articles, fishing gear, boats and
Kattamarams. The immediate need is that of food
and clothes and some bedsheets and mats.  Women's
Collective started its relief Kitchen yesterday
and so far nearly 5000 hot food  packets and
water packets are distributed. There are several
NGOs who are involved in food distribution and
several of them are running medical Camps. Apollo
Hospital and Government hospital Ambulances are
pressed to service for disposing the dead bodies.
Women's Collective volunteers are going round the
city collecting old clothes and we have
distributing it in the affected area. we are
careful in avoiding the duplication of services.
People are mostly in Churches and common
buildings along the Santhome high road , on
either side of the road in the platform and a few
hundreds are there near the damaged houses trying
to recover the few things that is left behind. We
intend to continue the relief distribution for
atleast a week or so till they return
to normalcy.  We are working with the local
fishing community leaders, SHG leaders and the
Panchayath Leaders.  We have our SHGs at Nochi
kuppam, Thedeer Kuppam area and all of them have
lost their belongings.

In Kanyakumari district several fishing villages
are affected. Periya Vallai 150 huts,
Kottalampadi 100 huts, Kolechal several hundread
huts, Keel Muttam 500 huts, Manavalakurichi 400
huts, Kanyakumari 1000 huts, Pallam 200 huts,
Allikal 500 huts, Pillai Thoppu 200 huts, Kayal
pattinam, Puthan thurai, Manakudi,
Kadiyapattinam, Mandaikadu, Thengai Pattinam,
Chinna Muttom, Paniyur, Simon Colony, Kodimunai,
Puthur, Muttom, several hundreds of huts are
washed away. Nearly 500 people are said to have
died and so far 110 bodies are identified. There
was a mass cremination of 230 bodies this
morning. Most of the people have left the
villages and have moved to Nagerkoil,
Mullavumoodu, Takkalai, Kottar, Myiladi to
churches and common buildings, Schools. In
Kollacheal several bodies are said to be washed
ashore from this morning and there is no place in
the hospital there. When our team was there for
half an hour five bodies were washed ashore.
Nearly 2000 people are missing from Kollechal.

In Kanyakumari almost all the churches and rotary
clubs, Schools and colleges are onvolved in the
relief work. Women's Collective staff are in all
the releif camps as voluteers helping them. As
immediate releif  has already reached them we
have not done any distribution. This is the
district which requires long term help like
fishing gears , boats, reconstruction of huts and
household articles later.

We  would be thankful if you can do the needful
to raise whatever support that you can give
either in cash or in kind. We would be happy to
have secondhand bed sheets for distribution.

We can be contacted at 10, East Street,
Kollattur, Chennai - 600 099. Phone: 044 2550
5853 / 2550 1257. email: sheelu1 at vsnl.com;
womencollective at rediffmail.com; Mobile:
9444015851 and 9444293690 .

In case you are able to raise funds the donations
can be send to Women's Collective or to Tamilnadu
resource team both has 80G.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need more information.

Regards,

Sheelu.

---------------------

(II)
Dear friends
Thanks for your concerns and support. In Kerala,
the most affected is Alappad panchayt in
Karunagapally, in Kollam district. About 140
bodies have so far been discovered.This is a
panchayt where we are working and we have 6 local
animators there.Yesterday we were there and all 6
are safe. But many people whom we know have died
-many being children.Alapuzha district is next
affected.In Trivandrum there is no casuality ;in
few villages fishing equipments are lost.The
total casuality in Kerala is 190

There is sufficient support now from different
organizations -food, water and clothes etc.Our
animators are telling us of the need to help them
to start life when they will have to return to
the village. We are starting to collect funds to
start relief work, once the initial enthusiasm of
the humanitarian aid which is being provided now
ends.What they have requested is cooking utensils
,bedsheets and of course support for livelihood.

We know the situation in Tamilnadu is worst and
Kulachal and Nagapattinam requires more help.
If anyone is wanting to help , please send your
contribution to SB a/c no 5945 of Central Bank of
India, Rishimangalam branch,Trivandrum
Thanking you
Yours sincerely

Aleyamma & Mercy
Sakhi Resource center for women
Convent raod,Trivandrum-695035 [India]

o o o o o o o

[3]

AN APPEAL TO SUPPORT RELIEF WORK IN SOUTH EAST AND WEST INDIA

Dear Friends,

As the deadly tsunami waves cross the South East
and West shores of India more than 5,000 people
are feared dead and thousands others displaced
according to official sources.

                  According to news reports
Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Tamil Nadu are the
worst affected.  In Tamil Nadu more than 2,400
people are reported dead while 3000 people have
been killed in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
Some unofficial sources have put the toll here to
10 000. In Pondicherry, at least a 100 people are
dead while 89 casualties have been reported from
Andhra Pradesh. The toll in Kerala has touched
128.

Villages have been swept away leaving hundreds
and thousands of people homeless. Poor fishing
communities are the worst affected. Those who
escaped with their lives have been left destitute
by the lashing floods, which carried off their
meagre possessions. ìAs the waters retreated,
bodies were left strewn across beaches, among
smashed boats, tangled nets and the remains of
fishermen's shacks. Among the dead was a group of
40 children who were playing cricket on the beach
when a giant wave swept them out to sea,î
reported The Telegraph. Relief and rescue efforts
are yet to reach many far-flunged areas of
Andaman & Nicobar.

Moreover the Meteorological office in
Thiruvananthapuram has warned that fresh tsunamis
may develop and there is possibility of high
tides in coastal areas of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

In this context Centre for Education and
Communication (CEC), Jagori, Other Media and
Delhi Forum are calling a meeting on December 28,
2004 at 2.30 pm at Gandhi Peace Foundation, Deen
Dayal Upadhyay Marg, New Delhi. The meeting will
discuss how could we provide support from Delhi.

Meanwhile the affected organization working in
the affected costal areas have requested relief.
The demand is for the following things:

A) Clothes
B) Common medicines and water purifying tablets
C) Baby food
D) Dry Food

The contact points in the affected areas through
whom the relief could be distributed are:

M. Subbu
Tamil Maanila Kattida Thozilalar Sangham (TMKTS)
1, Cross ST (F.F.) Kilpauk Garden,
Chennai-600010
Ph: 044-26478386
Email: msubbu_cwbc at vsnl.net

T. Peter
National Fishworkers Forum
Velankanny Junction, Valiathura
Vallakadavu P.O.
Trivandrum ñ 695008
Ph: 0471-2501376/2505216
Email: nff at vsnl.com

Jesurathinam, SNEHA, Nagapattinam
Tel: 04365-222907, 240622

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/