SACW | 24 Aug 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Aug 23 20:29:53 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  24 August,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]  Bangladesh:
-  It was an attempt to kill our democracy (Mahfuz Anam)
-  Bangladesh: Newspaper threatened (CPJ press Release)
[2]  Viewpoint: An Agenda for Pakistan (Mohsin Hamid)
[3]   India: The Case for Banning the VHP, Bajrang Dal and RSS (Rohini Hensman)
[4]  India:  Draconian Laws, Including Ghosts of
Lapsed Laws Haunt Our Democracy
(Forum For Democratic Initiatives)
[5]  India - Book Launch: Husband of a Fanatic by
Amitava Kumar (New Delhi, 27 August)

--------------

[1]

The Daily Star - August 24, 2004  | Commentary
IT WAS AN ATTEMPT TO KILL OUR DEMOCRACY
by Mahfuz Anam

Once again assassination stalks our politics.
Because of terrorists our democracy stands
threatened, our freedom jeopardised and
Bangladesh as we know it on the verge of
destruction.

Not since the vile and brutal murder of
Bangabandhu along with most of his family in
August 1975, the killings of Tajuddin and other
leaders in jail in November '75 and the killing
of Ziaur Rahman in May '81 did Bangladesh face
such a threat as it did last Saturday. Let it be
said without even an iota of ambiguity that the
attempt on Sheikh Hasina's life was in fact an
attempt to destabilise Bangladesh in a very
fundamental way and thereby destroy it as a
democratic state.

The search to find the would-be killers of
Hasina, therefore, should be considered not just
an attempt to catch some assassins or
professional killers but a quest to preserve
whatever Bangladesh has gained as a democracy, as
a liberal society and as a nation of tolerance
and diversity. Those who threw those grenades at
her were actually throwing them at us -- at our
love for politics of diversity and dissent.

We vehemently condemn this attempt on Hasina's
life and express our relief that she escaped
unhurt. Our heartfelt condolences for those who
lost their lives and sincere sympathy to the
bereaved families of the deceased. We are deeply
saddened by the terrible plight that has befallen
Ivy Rahman, a woman who has dedicated her life to
Awami League politics, especially in the area of
emancipation of women. We also pray for the early
recovery of AL leaders hurt in the incident.

We are repulsed by this act of terrorism and
express our supreme hatred for those who
perpetrated it and renew our determination to
fight it at every level of our life. In whatever
form or couched in whatever ideological or
fanatical verbiage it may come, terrorism is an
anathema to everything we stand for and
everything that Bangladesh was created to
represent. Today, therefore, we must build up the
biggest, the strongest, the most widespread
resistance against all forms of terrorism and
extremism that is, regrettably but undeniably,
creeping into our midst.

Now the question is how terrorism penetrated so
deeply into our lives. In the last five years,
including the last two of AL government, a total
of 140 people were killed in terrorist bomb
blasts. Of them, 40 were AL leaders and
activists. The attack on the AL meetings in
Narayanganj, Bagherhat, Sunamganj, Gazipur,
Khulna and Natore speak of a planned attack on
the AL workers and leaders that has been going on
for some time. Practically nothing has been known
about these incidents. The bomb attack at Ramna
Batamul, CPB meeting, Udichi function and later
in cinema halls in Mymensingh have all remained
unearthed. In the last instance, instead of going
after the terrorists the present government went
after university professors and accused them of
treason and put them into prison. The story
behind the bomb at Hasina's own meeting while she
was the prime minister did not see the light of
day.

More recently, the farce of an investigation that
we saw in handling the biggest ever arms haul in
Chittagong port leaves little doubt in anybody's
mind that Khaleda Zia's government is really not
serious about going after the criminals as long
as its own members are not the target of
terrorism. The advanced and sophisticated arms
and recovery of a huge quantity of them would
have set any serious government into launching
the most extensive and urgent investigation. This
paper even suggested that the government involve
Interpol or other relevant international agencies
as arms smuggling on such a scale is an
international affair and no single country,
especially like ours, has the capability of
conducting an effective investigation into such
cases. Until today, no serious attempt has been
made and we have heard practically nothing about
it.

The government must answer the question as to how
it is possible that none of the terrorist
incidents that occurred during its tenure have
ever been unearthed and terrorists arrested? In
fact we in the media have encountered
incomprehensible apathy in the law enforcement
agencies about getting to the bottom of such
events.

Obvious links are being suggested between the
attempt on Hasina's life and activities of
killers of Bangabandhu, many of whom have not yet
been brought to justice. Although known to be
outside the country, they could easily be active
in fomenting chaos and instability in general and
masterminding attacks on the AL in particular.
Here the fact that the convicted killers of
Bangabandhu have not been meted out their verdict
and that their last appeal could not be brought
to court for the last three years due to some
technicality, cannot be lost to the public.

This, especially in the background of the fact
that neither President Zia during his lifetime,
nor Khaleda during her first term as prime
minister made any attempt to try Bangabandhu's
killers raises legitimate questions in the public
mind about the present government's sincerity in
ensuring security for Hasina and other AL leaders.

The bottom line is that Saturday's attack on AL's
meeting and the death of 18 of its activists are
inextricably linked with the singular failure of
the government in tackling criminals associated
with terrorist and related criminal activities.
The inability of all our intelligence agencies in
predicting and thereby preventing acts like the
grenade attack on AL meeting reinforces public
doubt about the government's seriousness about
the whole terrorism issue.

Just a few months earlier the daylight attack on
Ahsanullah Master in Gazipur, the recent attack
on the Mayor of Sylhet (belonging to AL) and the
death of an activist there and several similar
attacks on the AL have all occurred one after
another without any success of our intelligence
agencies in preventing them. The grenade attack
on the British high commissioner to Bangladesh is
another shameful chapter of our intelligence
failure.

For far too long Khaleda's government has
remained indifferent to the prevalence of
terrorism in Bangladesh. In fact her government
can be accused of having nurtured it in some
cases. The rise of so-called Bangla Bhai and its
patronisation by ruling party stalwarts was
directly responsible for the failure of the
police to nab him. For that to happen even after
a direct order from the prime minister should
awakened Khaleda to how far the influence of
extremist groups penetrated her government. The
Ahmadiyya issue is another instance where the
government's nurturing of the extremists and lack
of timely action has created a Frankenstein which
now poses a threat from within.

The prime minister must realise that her own
power to stem the tide of terrorism has been
greatly compromised by her coalition partners'
attitude towards this issue. Narrow political
vision and extreme mutual hatred between our two
major political parties have created an opening
for the extremists to make inroads into our
politics as never before. Time is now for all
democratic forces to unite against terrorism and
create a massive political movement to defeat the
forces of terrorism. For the survival of
democracy and dissent we must unite and destroy
terrorism now.

o o o o

Committee to Protect Journalists
330 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001 USA     Phone: (212) 465-1004
Fax: (212) 465-9568     Web: www.cpj.org     E-Mail: media at cpj.org

===========================
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

BANGLADESH: Newspaper threatened

New York, August 23, 2004-The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is
deeply concerned about the growing number of threats being made against the
popular Bangla-language daily Prothom Alo by Islamic groups in the capital,
Dhaka, and in the southeastern Chittagong District.

The threats began last week in the wake of Prothom Alo's investigative
series about the illegal training of militants in Islamic schools, or
madrasas, throughout the rural southeastern Chittagong District. The series,
titled "Terrorist Activities in Greater Chittagong," ran in mid-August. Days
later, several Islamic groups began staging protests against the newspaper,
including the Islamic fundamentalist political party the Islamic United
Front.

Demonstrators in several towns throughout Chittagong District and in Dhaka
burned copies of Prothom Alo, destroyed billboards showing the newspaper's
name, and attempted to attack the newspaper's offices, according to local
press reports. At a protest in Chittagong on August 21, Fazlul Haq Amini, a
member of parliament from the Islamic United Front, demanded that Prothom
Alo be banned and its editor, Motiur Rahman, arrested, according to the
national newswire service the United News of Bangladesh (UNB).

The UNB also reported that another local leader, Mufti Izharul Islam, said
that anyone selling copies of the newspaper would be "listed as an enemy of
the people." Local journalists' groups were concerned that distribution of
the newspaper would be disrupted and called on authorities to ensure its
safe delivery, according to the newspaper The Daily Star.

On August 19, thousands of madrasa students and teachers demonstrated
against the newspaper in Dhaka and threatened to burn down Prothom Alo's
headquarters, according to local news reports. An Islamic leader called on
the protesters to take a vow to sacrifice their lives for the cause of
destroying Prothom Alo, according to The Daily Star. "Either we exist, or
Prothom Alo will exist in the country," Zabbar said.

Background
Issues relating to militant Islamic fundamentalism are highly sensitive in
Bangladesh.  The government has condemned and banned foreign media outlets
that have reported on the alleged existence and activities of militant
groups inside the country, including the Far Eastern Economic Review and
Time magazines in 2002. The Prothom Alo series marked the first time that a
Bangladeshi news outlet had reported on the issue, according to local
journalists.

The editors of Bangladesh's main newspapers, journalists' groups, human
rights groups, and intellectuals condemned the threatening demonstrations
staged against Prothom Alo, but so far the government has not spoken out
against the Islamic groups.

The demonstrations came during heightened political tensions in Bangladesh.
Opposition leader Sheikh Hasina barely escaped an assassination attempt at a
rally in Dhaka on August 21 that killed at least 17 people, according to
international news reports. A nationwide two-day strike is planned beginning
tomorrow, and thousands of opposition party Awami League supporters
demonstrated against the attack over the weekend.

"These intimidation tactics amount to blatant attacks on press freedom in
Bangladesh," said CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper. "We call on authorities
to publicly condemn those who are harassing and threatening our colleagues
at Prothom Alo, and to do everything in their power to protect the newspaper
and its staff."

CPJ is a New York-based, independent, nonprofit organization that works to
safeguard press freedom worldwide. For more information about press
conditions in Bangladesh, visit www.cpj.org.

From the Aug. 30, 2004 issue of TIME Asia Magazine

VIEWPOINT: AN AGENDA FOR PAKISTAN
The country needs to move from managing crises to nurturing democracy
By Mohsin Hamid

Monday, Aug. 23, 2004
At the end of 2001, Pakistan was a country in
crisis: near economic collapse, close to war with
India, and threatened by religious militants from
within. That sense of crisis caused Pakistanis
like myself to support a strong leader like
General Pervez Musharraf, despite the clear
unconstitutionality and undemocratic nature of
his rule.

Today, Pakistan is in much better shape. The
economy is on a surer footing, peace talks with
India are under way, and every week seems to
bring news of another group of terrorists being
captured or killed. Indeed, not since the end of
the 1980s, when democracy was restored to
Pakistan after the dark years of General Zia
ul-Haq's dictatorship, can I remember feeling so
hopeful about Pakistan's future. Progress is
taking place throughout society. Colleges and
universities are opening at a record rate; and
tens of thousands of primary school teachers are
being hired. More than a dozen new private
television channels and radio stations are
beaming lively political debate, frequently
risqué lifestyle and fashion programs, and an
exploding local music scene into homes across the
country. Foreign companies are investing hundreds
of millions of dollars to pursue the
opportunities of a market that in population
terms is the world's sixth largest.

Much of the credit is due to external events:
American pressure and assistance, international
debt rescheduling, the flow of capital from
Pakistanis abroad back into the country. And much
of the credit belongs to Musharraf and to his
economic team, led by ex-Citibanker Shaukat Aziz.
But as the crisis that once engulfed Pakistan
recedes, many of us are beginning to ask, "What
now?"

Clearly, a system based on the decisions, and
survival, of Musharraf-an unelected leader who
has been the target of several assassination
attempts-is undesirable. The state of Pakistan
remains fragile because of regular terrorist
attacks, insurgencies in the province of
Baluchistan and in the tribal areas along the
border with Afghanistan, rising inflation, and
too few new jobs for the poor. Pakistan must
gradually make the transition from relatively
successful crisis management under Musharraf to
sustainable progress under a democracy.

No dictator in Pakistan's history has ever
facilitated such a transition. But it can and
must be done. After winning his seat in the
National Assembly through a by-election held last
week, Aziz, who is currently Finance Minister, is
now poised to become Pakistan's Prime Minister.
If Musharraf is prepared to step into the
background and allow Aziz to govern the country,
and if Aziz views his premiership as a time to
resuscitate the conditions for democracy in
Pakistan just as he previously helped resuscitate
the country's economy-both big ifs-then there may
indeed be cause for optimism.

Why would Musharraf allow such a transition of
power? Hopefully because he has realized that if
he wishes his reforms to outlive him, he needs to
empower other leaders to carry them through. And
why should Aziz be interested in restoring
democracy? Because a good manager must deliver
more than steady quarterly earnings. He must also
put in place a reliable system of governance to
carry that growth forward.

In Pakistan, creating such a system will require
Aziz to overcome several important challenges.
Above all, Aziz must make a lasting peace with
India, even at the cost of painful compromises.
Without such a peace, Pakistan will always be
ruled, in one form or another, by men in uniform,
and the mud-brick curtain we have erected to our
east will continue to deny us our largest
potential market and source of human and cultural
exchange.

Partly to make such a peace possible and partly
because of wider international pressure, but
mostly because they terrorize us far more than
they do our so-called enemies, Aziz must bring to
heel the religious militants who claim to kill in
our name and in the name of our religion, Islam.
In the past, the army has worked hard to create
these militants-it will be Aziz's challenge to
see that it works equally hard to disband them.

Aziz must also act firmly to restore law and
order to Pakistan, ideally starting with the
country's largest city and main economic driver,
Karachi. This cannot be done merely by deploying
troops and paramilitary forces whenever the
killing gets out of hand. It will require
substantial, long-overdue investment in our
courts and police. Otherwise, Pakistan will
remain a country that drives its own middle class
into exile, and one where officials, elected or
not, habitually abuse their powers.

These are daunting challenges, particularly for a
Prime Minister with uncertain freedom of action
and no previous experience of elected office. We
must hope that Musharraf has the vision to allow
the birth of a Pakistan that is never again ruled
by a general, and that Aziz is given the chance
to supervise the delivery.

-Mohsin Hamid is the author of the novel Moth Smoke

[Photo] Farooq Naeem-Afp/Getty Images
[Caption] Aziz, who might soon be Prime Minister, is Pakistan's new poster boy

_______

[3]

[Also held at the URL:
communalism.blogspot.com/2002/07/case-for-banning-vhp-bajrang-dal-and.html
]

Combat Law - June - July 2002, pages 30 -32.

THE CASE FOR BANNING THE VHP, BAJRANG DAL AND RSS

by Rohini Hensman

In the context of the prolonged and horrific
violence in Gujarat, there have been numerous
calls for the VHP and Bajrang Dal to be banned.
For some people, evidently, the well-documented
role of these organisations in planning, inciting
and perpetrating systematic attacks on Muslims -
destroying their livelihoods, driving them out of
their homes, raping hundreds of women and girls,
and murdering thousands of men, women, children
and babies - seems an obvious reason for
outlawing them.

Others, however, disagree. Even if we leave aside
members and supporters of the VHP and Bajrang
Dal, there are objections which can be summarised
as follows: (1) Bans are undemocratic. (2) Who
will ban them? Not this government! (3) It won't
work - they will go underground, or change their
names. (4) Endorsing the use of a ban against
them will make it easier for the government to
ban organisations and harass individuals engaged
in legitimate activities.

Are we defending liberty or license?

A ban is defined as 'an official prohibition or
interdiction,' and in our society, for example,
robbery, arson, rape and murder are officially
prohibited. People who commit these crimes are
arrested if caught, and punished if found guilty.
Even people who are staunch advocates of civil
liberties do not object to this, provided the
punishment is not cruel or inhumane. Why not?
Presumably because they do not recognise anyone's
'right' to violate the fundamental rights of
others. In fact, it makes nonsense of the whole
notion of human and democratic rights to say that
whoever is powerful enough to rape, kill or
generally oppress others should have the
'freedom' to do so. That kind of 'freedom' is
generally defined as license, not liberty.
When the same person plans and commits a crime,
it is relatively easy to identify the criminal.
But it becomes more difficult when one person
hires another to kill someone, and even more
complicated when a whole organisation is involved.

In such cases, the persons who directs the whole
operation as well as a large number of people
involved in planning and organising the crime may
not be the actual perpetrators. Yet they are all
responsible for it. The Gujarat carnage is a very
good example of this kind of organised action.
Participants have been identified as belonging to
the VHP, Bajrang Dal and RSS/ BJP. Investigations
have shown it was planned meticulously months in
advance, with detailed research into the
locations where Muslims lived, worked or ran
businesses, even into cases where Muslims owned
only a small share in a business. Such planning
was in evidence even during the massacre, with
perpetrators using mobile phones to report back
and get orders concerning the next target of
violence. The people doing this research,
providing information, giving orders, justifying
and inciting the violence, etc., are all guilty
of the mass rape and murder that took place, even
if they were not on the scene of the crime.

Subsequent events, such as the exposure of BJP
intentions to conduct elections in the wake of
the bloodbath, reveal that the political purpose
behind this violence directed at innocent unarmed
civilians is the perpetuation and strenghtening
of BJP rule in Gujarat. The connection between
local events and the nationwide VHP campaign to
build a Ram Mandir in Ayodhya, as well as the
total backing of Narendra Modi by the Central
government, give rise to a very strong suspicion
that similar pogroms have been planned in other
parts of the country with the intention of
bringing the BJP to power on its own at the
Centre. The ramifications are not only national
but international, since the VHP is an
international organisation, and its activities in
India are supported by substantial funding from
abroad.

It makes no sense to say that an individual who
commits murder should be punished, while an
organisation that commits mass murder should go
scot-free. It is hypocritical to say that an
organisation should have the 'democratic right'
to violate the fundamental human and democratic
rights of others and destroy democracy itself,
because then you are legitimising an attack on
democracy while pretending to stand up for it,
defending license rather than liberty.

Who will ban them?

Not the BJP - that is absolutely true! But this
does not mean that a campaign for a ban is
pointless. Firstly, it highlights the fact that
these organisations are engaged in criminal
rather than religious activities. Many people are
confused about this; they are repelled by the
atrocities committed in Gujarat, yet hesitate to
denounce the organisations committing them,
because these organisations claim to be defending
Hinduism. A campaign for a ban, which would
involve explaining why it is necessary, would
help to clarify the distinction between religion
and crime, and publicise the fact that terrorist
acts, crimes against humanity and genocide are
being committed in the name of religion.

Secondly, today the NDA allies which call
themselves secular are too unprincipled and
self-seeking to quit the alliance, but if they
are threatened with losing their secular
supporters, they may eventually do so. Even
otherwise, there will be elections, and the ban
can be made an election issue. It can help to
separate those who are truly secular from those
who merely claim to be so. More immediately,
non-BJP state governments can take steps to clamp
down on these organisations if there is pressure
on them to do so.
But, some people argue, the Congress and BJP are
the same, and the Congress will never ban
communal organisations because it is itself
communal. There is a fundamental confusion in
this argument. It is true that the Congress has
acted in a communal manner on numerous occasions,
that it is not principled on this issue, and is
willing to play the communal card in order to win
votes. But strong popular pressure can equally
well push it in the opposite direction. Because
its basis as a party is not communal, nothing
prevents it from being secular. It can ban the
RSS, and has in fact done so on two occasions in
the past, whereas the BJP can never ban the RSS,
because that would be like sticking a knife into
its own heart.

It won't work - they will go underground or change their name
No one is under any illusion that these
organisations will cease to exist if they are
banned. Yet the loss of legitimacy and of the
ability to function openly will hit them hard,
especially if it is accompanied by a campaign to
get the VHP proscribed as a terrorist
organisation internationally. These organisations
thrive on publicity, media attention, large
crowds, public drills, schools they run, and so
on; these activities will cease if they are
banned. They also depend on huge donations, most
of which would dry up if donors risk being
jailed. What if they are reincarnated under new
names? As it is, they operate behind the façade
of numerous front organisations. If the ban is
extended to all organisations that are dedicated
to inciting communal hatred and violence,
changing names will not protect them for ever.
But won't they be able to project themselves as
martyrs? This depends on the way the ban is
carried out. The first ban on the RSS was very
successful, partly because it was implemented
firmly - e.g. 20,000 RSS members were put behind
bars - and partly because of popular revulsion
against them after the assassination of Mahatma
Gandhi. The second ban, during the Emergency, was
not a success, because it was part of an
extremely unpopular general attack on democratic
rights, and many other organisations and
activists were banned and jailed along with the
RSS. In the current circumstances, the call for a
ban would have to be preceded by widespread
publicity of the barbaric acts committed by the
VHP/Bajrang Dal/RSS/BJP forces in Gujarat. Only
hard-liners would be willing to endorse these
sickening atrocities openly.
Bans can be misused against individuals and
organisations engaged in legitimate activities

This is a genuine problem, especially in the
present context, when POTA has just been passed.
The activities of the VHP and Bajrang Dal in
Gujarat are certainly terrorist acts according to
POTA: for example,
CHAPTER II, 3. (1): Whoever,- (a) with intent
to...strike terror in the people or any section
of the people does any act or thing by
using...inflammable substances or firearms or
other lethal weapons...or by any other means
whatsoever, in such a manner as to cause, or
likely to cause, death of, or injuries to any
person or persons or loss of, or damage to, or
destruction of, property...Commits a terrorist
act.

Even according to a less one-sided definition of
terrorism as 'the use or threat of violence
against unarmed civilans in the pursuit of a
political objective', the VHP and Bajrang Dal
actions in Gujarat would certainly count as
terrorist. The problem, however, is that POTA is
a draconian act which can easily be used against
individuals and organisations engaged in
perfectly legitimate activities, and it would be
inconsistent to use it on the one hand, and
advocate its repeal on the other. However, it is
still worth emphasising that these are terrorist
groups, and that the VHP is in fact an
international terrorist group which collects
funds to support the families of terrorists and
hire lawyers to represent them in court, etc., in
exactly the way that is condemned so universally
when Muslim groups engage in such activities.
What is the alternative to indicting them under POTO?

One possibility is to use Section 153A of the
Indian Penal Code, states that:Whoever,-(a) by
words, either spoken or written, or by signs or
by visible representations or otherwise,
promotes, or attempts to promote on grounds of
religion, race, place of birth, residence,
language, caste or community or any other ground
whatsoever, disharmony or feelings of enmity,
hatred or ill-will between different religious,
racial, language or regional groups or castes or
communities, or (b)commits any act which is
prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony between
different religious, racial, language or regional
groups or castes or communities and which
disturbs or is likely to disturb the public
tranquillity, or (c) organizes any exercise,
movement, drill or other similar activity
intending that the participants in such activity
will use or be trained to use criminal force or
violence...against any religious, racial,
language or regional group or caste or community
and such activity for any reason whatsoever
causes or is likely to cause fear and alarm or a
feeling of insecurity amongst members of such
religious, racial, language or regional group or
caste or community,shall be punished with
imprisonment which may extend to three years, or
with fine, or with both.

This is in fact a very important section, which
could, if implemented strictly, outlaw hate
propaganda and incitement, which play such an
important role in the build-up to every instance
of genocide, including Gujarat. The Genocide
Convention, which India has signed and ratified
although a law in accordance with it has not been
enacted, should be made into law, and would help
in punishing those involved in the Gujarat
genocide. But the Convention is stronger on
punishing than on preventing genocide, and
Section 153A would be an important supplement to
it, banning hate propaganda in order to prevent
genocide.

The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967,
defines an "unlawful association" as, among other
things, 'any association-...
(ii) which has for its object any activity which
is punishable under section 153A or section 153B
of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860), or which
encourages or aids persons to undertake any such
activity, or of which the members undertake any
such activity.'

Chapter III, Section 10. Penalty for being
members of an unlawful association.- states that:
'Whoever is and continues to be a member of an
association declared unlawful...or takes part in
meetings of any such unlawful association or
contributes to, or receives or solicits any
contribution for the purpose of, such unlawful
association, or in any way assists the operation
of any such unlawful association, shall be
punishable with imprisonment for a term which may
extend to two years, and shall also be liable to
fine.'
This, of course, refers to those members who have
not been involved in any other criminal activity.
13. punishment for unlawful activities.-states
that: 'Whoever-(a) takes part in or commits,
or(b) advocates, abets, advises or incites the
commission of, any unlawful activity, shall be
punishable for a term which may extend to seven
years, and shall also be liable to fine.(2)
Whoever, in any way, assists any unlawful
activity of any association declared unlawful
under section 3,..shall be punishable with
imprisonment for a term which may extend to five
years, or with fine, or with both.'

Finally, Section 15. Continuances of
association.-states that 'An association shall
not be deemed to have ceased to exist by reason
only of any formal act of its dissolution or
change of name but shall be deemed to continue so
long as any actual combination for the purposes
of such association continues between any members
thereof', which means that simply changing the
name of the association will not get around the
ban.

Campaign Needed

The pros and cons of a campaign to ban communal
organisations need to be discussed thoroughly
amongst those who claim to be secular and
democratic. If it is agreed that they do need to
be banned, then this could be a demand at the
next general elections, and, in the shorter term,
could lead to a campaign for booking members of
these organisations under Section 153A in non-BJP
states. Frivolous arguments against a campaign
for a ban need to be combated. Such implicit
legitimisation of the most horrific crimes
against minorities is what urgently needs to be
challenged if we are to avoid the Gujarat
genocide from spreading to other parts of the
country.

Rohini Hensman is associated with the Trade Union
Solidarity Committe, Bombay and Women Working
Worldwide.

INDIA: DRACONIAN LAWS, INCLUDING GHOSTS OF LAPSED LAWS HAUNT OUR DEMOCRACY

Citizens Speak Out
Against TADA, POTA and AFSPA
6 August 2004, New Delhi.
Organised By Forum For Democratic Initiatives (FDI)

It came as a shock to the citizens of the country
that inspite of the tall claims of not having
implemented the draconian POTA in Bihar, the
government, administration and police in the
state have been using the lapsed law TADA, to
imprison and victimise political activists and
agrarian poor.  These violations could be carried
out because the government did not withdraw the
TADA cases after it lapsed but instead allowed
the states to apply its own discretion. This left
ample scope for the rich and the powerful to
escape while allowing the police and
administration to crackdown upon the asserting
poor and those organising them.
   Since the NDA government introduced POTA with
an unprecedented joint session of the parliament,
several political parties have expressed their
opinion against POTA.  Though no action has been
taken as yet, the UPA government after assuming
power has announced  the withdrawal of POTA.
However this also been announced prospectively
and not with retrospective effect as has been the
demand of dozens of civil liberty organisation
and human rights groups who have pointed out
violations in case after case. The fate of
thousands of innocents across the country, who
have been booked under POTA continue to face
hopelessness, particularly in the light of the
fate of the TADA prisoners of Bihar, who found no
justice even after the law that they had been
booked under had long lapsed since the cases
against them were never withdrawn.
If 9 years after TADA has lapsed, activists,
children and agrarian poor can be picked up and
tried under the law, what is to assure that a
child booked under POTA would not be tried under
the law 20 years from now? Why is it that black
laws are being given in a platter to the police
and administration for strangling the democratic
voices of those engaged in social change?
Addressing these questions a broad spectrum of
political leaders from the Left and prominent
citizens from all walks of life including
jurists, advocates, human rights activist,
academicians, artists, writers, journalists and
students joined the convention, called on 6
august 2004, in New Delhi by Forum for Democratic
Initiatives (FDI). The convention endorsed by the
speakers and participants called for a nationwide
movement against the murder of democracy at the
hands of black laws like TADA and POTA. Speaker
after speaker demanded the repeal of POTA and
TADA retrospectively and condemned the Bihar
Government for not withdrawing the TADA charges
against activists and agrarian labourers in
Jehanabad, Bihar.  The convention also discussed
the situation in Manipur and passed a resolution
demanding the repeal of AFSPA, which has left the
North Eastern states under the terror of Army
rule.
The convention was chaired by eminent journalist
and human rights activist Kuldeep Nayyar and
addressed by a host of political leaders and
prominent citizens from Delhi.  The meeting was
addressed by CPI-ML General Secretary Dipankar
Bhattacharya, CPI-M Parliamentarian Dipankar
Mukherjee, RSP leader and MP Abani Roy, Forward
Bloc leader Devararjan, CPI leader Atul Anjan,
Justice Rajinder Sachar, writer and activist
Arundhati Roy, Editor of Mainstream Sumit
Chakravarty, Supreme Court lawyers  Nandita
Haksar and Prashant Bhushan, Associate Editor of
EPW Gautam Navlakha, JNU Professor Kamal Mitra
Chenoy,  Delhi University teacher Tripta Wahi and
those battling POTA, TADA and AFSPA like DU
lecturer SAR Geelani , CPI-ML activist from
Jehanabad, Mahanand  Prasad and a representative
of Manipuri Students Association of Delhi, Seram
Rojesh. The Convention was conducted by Radhika
Menon, Convenor of  FDI.
Initiating the Convention, eminent jurist,
Rajinder Sachar said that UPA government's
failure to repeal POTA retrospectively and its
attempt to retain some of its clauses through
other laws is an instance of its ‘hypocrisy in
politics?
   CPI-ML activist and leader from Jehanabad,
Mahanand Prasad presented a detailed account of
the repression of agricultural labourers by the
feudal-kulak-criminal-police nexus which was
enjoying the protection of the state
government.He said that this nexus led to the
conviction for life of 14 activists of CPI-ML and
implication of 17 others who are still awaiting a
trial, in a case where the dalits and
agricultural labourers led a wage struggle and
resisted the tyranny of a landlord who forced a
dalit youth to lick spit.  He described the Arwal
TADA case of 1988, in which a dispute over the
harvest of water-chestnut pond became an excuse
for imposing TADA on innocent citizens arrested
at random which included two children aged 13 and
14 years, as well as local leaders of agrarian
and democratic struggles. The main accused in
this case is Shah Chand , who along with 13
others have been sentenced to life imprisonment
by a TADA court. Shah Chand, is the founding
secretary of Inquilabi Muslim Conference, and a
former mukhiya of Bhadasi village, whose work to
introduce innovations in canal irrigation and
free development work from corruption was hailed
by the official quarters as the “Chand Model".
Shah Chand and 13 others are in jail today, after
the Supreme Court upheld the TADA court judgement
in which possession of easily available Marxist
and Kisan Sabha literature was cited as the sole
‘evidence?for their being “terrorists?
Mahanand narrated the events that led to another
case from Jehanabad, where 17 agricultural
labourers are facing trial today, under TADA.
They had been charged under TADA in 1989, when
they complained to a labour inspector and led an
agitation against a landlord, who had planted a
dead cow outside the house of a dalit labourer,
and forced another to “lick spit?in public. He
questioned the intent of the “social
justice?government of RJD, a key ally of the UPA,
which had  chosen to open TADA cases against the
likes of Shankar Mehtar, a sweeper, Vijay Paswan
and other dalit labourers, whose only crime was
that of protesting against humiliations and
paltry wages imposed by feudal landlords- a
matter of shame for independent India.  Mahanand
notably pointed out that the TADA case, in that
very district of Bihar, against the notorious
Ramadhar Singh, the chief of ‘Sawarn Liberation
Front? a private army of upper caste landlords
and the prime accused in the Sawanbigha massacre
was withdrawn by the same RJD government.
CPI-ML General Secretary Dipankar Bhattacharya
hailed the people of Manipur and the rural poor
of Bihar and others, who had paid with their
blood, their liberty and their lives to make laws
like TADA, POTA, AFSPA a national issue. He said
it was sustained protests alone that have made
violations a matter of national concern. He
recalled the unrelenting struggle of the people
of Bihar, including those who are today
imprisoned under TADA, that made the police
firing on labourers in Arwal a national issue. He
said that today it was the protests sparked by
Manorama Devi’s killing that has forced the
horrors of AFSPA onto the consciousness of the
nation. He said that the democratic forces in the
country, who had made POTA an issue in the
elections, were now being taken for granted and
stressed the need for mass movements to exert
pressure on the govt. He called upon people to
participate in the various campaigns to bring
justice to the wronged TADA victims and visit
Jehanabad to see the situation for themselves
first hand.
CPI-M leader Dipankar Mukherjee, Forward Block
leader  Devarajan, CPI leader Atul Anjan, and RSP
parliamentarian Abani Roy expressed solidarity
with the struggles against black laws. Abani Roy
questioned the definition of terrorism, saying
even Bhagat Singh was branded a terrorist by
colonialists, and today workers and poor peasants
are being booked under “Terror Laws? He said that
capitalist states did not consider the masses to
be humans and capitalists of the world have
united through globalisation and have resorted to
newer forms of repression through agreements like
WTO. He stressed the need to fight unitedly
against TADA and POTA. Dipankar Mukherjee pointed
out with examples how ordinary corporate laws
were becoming terror laws for workers.
Speaking at the Convention writer Arundhati Roy
said that India was showing the world how
terrorism laws can be used. For the US, terrorism
replaced communism as a bogey to justify
imperialist aggression. In their view,
“terrorism?means those who resist colonial
occupation. She said all over the world, poverty,
too is conflated with “terrorism?  She drew
attention to the machinations of neo-liberal
capitalism and it’s functioning, which imposes
one law after another to suppress those who
resist it. Taking a dig at the UPA government’s
announcements for not withdrawing POTA
retrospectively, she claimed that POTA may go but
mota (intending the Hindi pun) would be in. She
said that to view these laws as mere “human
rights violations?is to wish away their political
implications. The machine that assaults the poor,
the colonised and the minority cannot be reduced
to ‘Bush?or ‘BJP?said the writer and called for a
movement against the system itself.
Supreme Court lawyer Nandita Haksar cautioned
against the trend in the human rights movement to
divorce struggle against such laws from the
politics that surround it.  She said it is to be
remembered, that the ruling political
establishment would not guarantee the democratic
space for rising in favour of people’s interest,
even if TADA and POTA  are removed.She reiterated
the need to to unite in the struggle against
black laws.
According to DU teacher Tripta Wahi, state
atrocities have been directed against minorities,
dalits and agrarian labourers in particular, who
do not have the ability to fight cases and
circumvent loopholes in the act. She pointed out
that AFPSA had been brought in during Congress
rule under Nehru to repress the nationality
question in North-East. She wondered why the land
reform agenda introduced in1929 was never
implemented while those who were asking for its
implementation were being repressed.  She spoke
of how an Exhibition on the State’s lies in the
Parliament attack case had been banned in Delhi
University and raised the issue of the thousands
of youth of Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and
North-East who have gone missing.
Gautam Navlakha, Associate editor EPW, pointed
out that leaders of landlord armies which
massacre dalit poor are never convicted under
“Terror Laws? whereas even lapsed laws like TADA
are invoked to sentence dalit landless labourers
to life imprisonment and even death. He said,
clearly the issue is not merely of ‘civil
liberties?but one of politics- since such laws
had the political intention of snuffing out
specific movements.  He said the judicial
procedures need to be probed as well, as there
have been three judge benches which have given
verdicts against the poor even when one of them
has said that the evidences cited before the
court was appalling
DU lecturer SAR Geelani spoke of systematic
shrinkage of democratic space in India, saying
that India could be considered “free?only if it
was truly democratic. He said that laws like
TADA, POTA, AFSPA were a threat to each citizen,
not just Kashmiris, Manipuris or the dalit poor
of Andhra and Bihar. Alluding to the criminal
nexus between the police and judiciary he said
that black laws permitted statements to be taken
from the victims in a state of duress.
Prof. Kamal Mitra Chenoy of JNU pointed out that
the ruling class always brands class struggles as
“anti-national? and uses “national security?as an
excuse to crush dissent. When such laws are
contested by the civil liberties groups in the
Supreme Court they have always been upheld by the
latter because of the stated objective of dealing
with terrorism. He said that while international
agreements like WTO are complied with, there is
no conformance to international human rights
laws. The AFPSA which was brought in as a
temporary measure continues to be used after 50
years. Its high time that black laws, which lead
to human rights violations, be acclaimed as
anti-national.
Supreme Court lawyer, Prashant Bhushan said that
most of the cases of TADA were in states like
Gujarat, which were not affected by terrorism.
The arbitrariness of TADA is evident from the
fact that only one percent of the arrested was
convicted.  Referring to the TADA case where 14
activists of CPI-ML had been given life sentence
he said his study of the case indicated how it
was completely unfair. He said that even as talks
of repealing POTA were on , there were
apprehensions that anti people provisions of POTA
would be included in the Indian Penal Code to
eliminate the need for establishment of a
separate draconian law like POTA. He pointed out
that the police and law and order machinery in
the country is able to undermine democracy even
without these laws and emphasised the inherent
bias in our criminal jurisprudence, whereby
white-collar criminals roam free under bail and
have their cases withdrawn by buying witnesses
off, while the poor are implicated in false cases
and end up fighting losing legal battles for years
Seram, a representative of the Manipur Students
Association, Delhi while addressing the
Convention said that the AFSPA which legitimised
state repression is more dangerous than colonial
laws. The procedural provisions of the act like
detention without formal charges on the basis of
suspicion and admitting confessions to the
hawaldar as evidence is unjust in regard to the
accused. He appealed that the law be repealed in
toto and not just from the Central part of
Manipur.
Civil libertian and eminent lawyer ND Pancholi,
Social scientist Yogendra Yadav,  Historian Uma
Chakravarty, Film Makers Sanjay Kak, Pankaj
Butalia,  and Shri Prakash, writers Pankaj Bisht
and  Pankaj Singh, journalists Latha Jishnu,
Satya Sivaraman, Anil Chamadia also participated
in the convention.
The Chair, Kuldeep Nayyar concluded by calling
for a movement, not simply against the draconian
Laws but against the system, which branded the
movements of the poor and marginalised as
“terrorism? He appealed to the leaders of the
Left parties, who were supporting the government
to exert a greater pressure on the UPA government
for withdrawing TADA and POTA retrospectively.
He also expressed the feelings that if the
government does not pay any serious attention
they should resign  from the Coordination
Committee of the UPA in protest against the
continued use of such draconian laws.
The Convention passed a series of resolutions
?That the Parliament repeal POTA.
?That the Union Govt. withdraws all cases of TADA
and POTA with retrospective effect, remitting
sentences against those convicted under these
laws.
?The Bihar govt. withdraw TADA charges against
the labourers of Jehanabad and ensure the
immediate and unconditional release of the 14
convicted for life in the Arwal case and the 4
dalits sentenced to death in the Bara case.
?The immediate scrapping of the AFSPA in Manipur
and other areas where it is in use, and
punishment for custodial rape and murder by army
officials, as in the case of Manorama Devi.
   297 persons from various walks of life at the
convention endorsed the resolutions.

Contact
Radhika Menon
Printed by
Forum for Democratic Initiatives (FDI)

Penguin Books India and British Council
cordially invite you to the launch of

Husband of a Fanatic
by Amitava Kumar

on Friday 27 August 2004 at 7.00 p.m.
at British Council, 17 Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi 110 001

The author will read extracts from the book
followed by a panel discussion featuring

Professor Mushirul Hasan, Vice Chancellor, Jamia Millia Islamia University
Urvashi Butalia, Writer and Publisher, Zubaan Books
Professor Gurpreet Mahajan, Centre for Political
Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University
Edmund Marsden, Director, British Council India (chair)
and
Amitava Kumar, the author

The launch will be followed by a reception

RSVP: Ratna 26494401, Nisha 51497333

Please bring the invite with you

Sujo Jacob
Ph: 26494401/ 02
www.penguinbooksindia.com
Celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Ladybird Key Words Reading Scheme!
Visit the fabulous exhibition and sale of
Ladybird titles and other children's books at

The British Council, 17 KG Marg New Delhi
From 21 to 29 August 2004
and
Landmark Bookstore Chennai
Apex Plaza and Spencer Plaza
from 20 to 30 August 2004

For more information on Penguin Books, visit us at www.penguinbooksindia.com

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/