SACW | 16 Aug 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Aug 15 20:19:46 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  16 August,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]  Bangladesh: Ahmadiyyas under attack again (Editorial, The Daily Star)
[2]  Bangladesh: The late Humayun Azad's Open
Letter (Bangladesh Observer via mukto mona) )
[3]  Campaign against the War In Sri Lanka
(Women's Network for Peace and Freedom)
[4]  Teaching and research on India in Pakistan -
a conspicuous absence (S. Akbar Zaidi)
[5]  India:  Full Text of the draft National
Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2004 on sacw.net

--------------

[1]

The Daily Star [Bangladesh]
August 16, 2004
Editorial

AHMADIYYAS UNDER ATTACK AGAIN
High time for the government to act

ATTEMPTS by Islamic bigots to pierce through a
police cordon and attack Nirala Ahmadiyya mosque
complex in Khulna can only be described as
another despicable act against the sensibilities
of a religious minority. They were not only
violating the law of the land and the
Constitution but also taking religion into their
hands as its self-appointed guardian. This is a
prime example of religious and sectarian
intolerance raising its head by default. The
chairman of Islami Oikya Jote, a ruling alliance
partner even went to the extent of issuing an
ultimatum in public that Ahmadiyyas should be
declared non-Muslims immediately if the
government wants to stay in power.

This was a direct provocation to incitement of
anti-Ahmadiyya emotions that can be trifled with
only to the peril of societal peace and
stability. According to reports they even most
arrogantly demanded an amendment to the
Constitution. We have repeatedly condemned such
attempts at violating any segment of the
citizens' rights to practicising their own faith.
In fact this was just the continuation of the
events that have been taking place ever since
Ahmadiyyas came under systematic attack all
around the country.

Had the Ahmadiyya publications been not
proscribed in the first place, the Khatme Nabuat
elements would not have got the leeway to do what
the are doing today. We wouldn't have seen the
repetition of scenes where the basic fundamental
rights of a religious minority have been
trampled. This is a worrying sign that must be
eliminated for Bangladesh to retain its image of
being a moderate Muslim country.

[ Prof. Humayun Azad, the well known Bangladesh
writer who had been viscously attacked by
fundamentalists in February 2004, died * on 13
August 2004, posted below is an English
translation of open letter by Prof Azad, that was
originally published on July 28, 2004.

BBC News 13 August, 2004 (*)
Top Bangladeshi author found dead.

o o o o

The Bangladesh Observer - August 16, 2004

HUMAYUN AZAD'S OPEN LETTER

Dr. Humayun Azad is a rule-breaking freethinking
author, poet, critic, column writer and professor
of Dhaka University, Bangladesh. Humayun Azad,
being anxious of his personal safety,  written in
a Bangla Daily on 28 July, 2004 the following
heart rendering open letter to Prime Minister,
Opposition Leader and to the countrymen depicting
his utterly miserable present life.

Honorable PM, leader of the main opposition, my
countrymen, I am penning this open letter to you
after being utterly helpless, physically
attacked, and in a state of hopelessness. All
these have made my life and my family members'
life unbearable. As I was returning from this
year's 'Book Fair' in the evening of February 27,
some killer goons attacked me physically; I was
not supposed to have lived after the brutal
attack.

Nonetheless, I returned to this mortal world
after being "dead" (in coma) for four days. For
this, I remain ever so grateful to everyone. I am
thankful to the honorable PM because she took
care of my treatment in the aftermath of the
attack; I am also indebted to the main opposition
party leader for she came hurriedly to see me
after I was physically assaulted and she feared
for my life; I am also greatly indebted to my
countrymen those who grieved seeing my hapless
condition, they were moved and they prayed for my
well-being.

I am also thankful to my fellow academicians and
students at the universities, artists, and
politicians those who worked tirelessly to keep
me alive. I was not supposed to come back to
life, but I did. For which a dedicated bunch of
physicians should receive my plaudits. I remain
ever so grateful to them.

After I was mortally wounded on February 27, I
became a darling to my countrymen; those who
never knew me before they also inquired about my
well-being. However, I am now attacked again and
my family is living in a state of despondency; we
are now living in a state of fright. On July 24,
2004, the evil bunch who attacked me earlier
tried to abduct my only son, Anannya; on July 25,
2004, they put us again in a state of panic after
threatening us through a telephone call this time
they said that they will blast a bomb in my house.

At this time, mine is the most panic stricken
family in Bangladesh whose members may be hurt in
any moment. That is the reason I am now appealing
to you hoping that you may come forward to help
me out. You are the only ones who lend your
helping hand at this time of despair. You have
done your duty when I was struggling with my
death; aren't you going to stand by me at this
perilous time too?

I look physically alright now, but I am far from
being mentally strong. One of my eyes is half
blind. I am carrying a disfigured face with the
scars of vicious attack on it, the sutures on my
face are still painful for me, my lips are
partially numb, I wear dentures, infirmity has
taken hold of me. After my return from medical
treatment in abroad, I am virtually interned in
my home because my life is not safe outside.

I maybe attacked physically if I venture to go
outside. For my safety the government has posted
some police force in front of my residence for
which I am thankful. Still then, I am receiving
repeated death threats; my family members are
exposed to serious danger.

All these are making our lives utterly miserable.
I cannot look at the panic-stricken faces of my
beloved ones because their countenance bears the
mark of mental anguish. It seems as if they are
living in a state of fear surrounded by sharp
knives or living near a live volcano. Sometimes I
feel that the marauding gang of assassins
surrounds them and there is no one to protect
them. Under this dire circumstance, living a
normal life is all too difficult and meaningless;
I don't know whether you could imagine the state
of hopelessness that I am now in.

We as a family feel that this fear for untimely
death is dictating our daily life now. We could
have committed a mass suicide if we knew
beforehand we would attain the Nirvana from our
wretched life. We would have showered our
assassins with the moon and flowers as we prepare
to exit from this mortal world. But we are
infirm, our love for this mortal world is too
strong, and that is why we remain in a state of
alert. I fear for the safe return of my family
members whoever and whenever go out.

When I am out, I fear for their safety who are at
home. Even in 1971, my life was not that
difficult! These days I feel pity for myself, for
my life, and for my hapless motherland. What has
become of this land where a professor and a
writer cannot lead a simple and placid life,
cannot browse a book or pen a stanza of poem.
This is because the roving assassins are making
his life a miserable one even in his sleep. Did
we want Bangladesh for all this? Did many a
patriot shed their blood for this?

I am a professor and a writer. I have been
teaching for the last 36 years and writing for
even longer period. I never did neglect to teach
my students properly; I taught them as per their
acumen and interest; thousands of students
considered me as one of their dearest and best
teacher. Their love and respect for me had
gratified me. I always tried to teach my students
new things; tried my best to get them out of the
old moldings because I believe in my heart that
it is the very nature of knowledge to create new
things.

The world of ours has progressed thus far because
humankind has been able to generate new
information. I have been writing ceaselessly, not
keeping myself confined in a particular area, but
expanding my interest in variegated disciplines
from linguistics to poems. Poetry, novel, essay,
criticism, linguistics, political analysis,
literature for kids, etc., are the myriad fields
in which I have contributed thus far. I have
published about 70 books.

Many a readers agree that I have enriched Bengali
literature through my writings, and even after my
departure from this world my contributions will
be remembered. Despite all these positive
contributions, my life is a wretched one at this
time because the assassins are regularly issuing
death threats against my family members and me.

Living in the shadow of a constant threat I am
becoming oblivious to knowledge and literature.
Is it then fair that one of the leading
professors of Bangladesh has to live under
constant threat of being killed? Have I done well
in my studies, earned a good name for myself as
an academician and writer, earned the respect
from my countrymen only to be threatened by the
goons who want to see me dead? Will my premature
death in the hands of the assassins bring
prosperity to Bangladesh ? Or, will it mar the
nation with disgrace?

I am both a scribe and a sensitive human being to
whom it is more disgraceful to live in the
confine of my house than to be dead. I
oft-remember once I used to take a stroll by
myself, visit a village to see the moon, birds,
and rivers. Today, I am denied of this privilege;
today, I cannot walk alone or look at the moon,
river, or birds.

To the contrary, those marauding assassins, who
never looked at the moon, have their rights
preserved who want to see me a dead man. To a
person who wants to enrich himself with knowledge
and who wants to write, nothing could be worse
than being interned into a house; this would
blunt his creativity.

I am not alone in this predicament; quite a few
other professors of Dhaka University had been
given the death sentence by the obscurantists. I
feel their pain, but for how long do we have to
endure this pain?

Dear Prime Minister, leader of the main
opposition party, my countrymen, this not the
time for you to remain reticent, you must take
care of those people very sternly who are
inflicting this pain on us. This is your noble
duty. You have to carry out your duty or else the
future generation will look at you with
ambivalence.

We want to see our motherland, Bangladesh , as a
developed, modern, and peaceful country; however,
we failed in the past to build our nation in that
way. The image Bangladesh portrays to outside
world is not a good one; the way the recent
threats to my family and myself have perturbed us
will mar the image even further.

For sure, you know that those who are making my
life miserable belong to a separate ideology. A
nation is deemed to prosper, and could only
progress when there exists diversity of opinions,
and when people holding diverse opinions can live
side-by-side. The essence of democracy is to
respect and tolerate diverging opinions and
beliefs.

We could refute an opinion or ideology only
through knowledge and reasons, but nowhere it
says that a person with differing opinion should
be threatened to be killed or eventually be
killed. Unfortunately, in Bangladesh it has
become a norm not to debate with a person who
holds a counter view, but to settle the score
with a threat to kill the person or by killing
the person.

I have become a prime target now for political
assassination. Isn't it true that my writings
have enriched Bangladesh ? Have I not dedicated
my life for Bangladesh because I love my country?
Once I am gone from this mortal world, won't
Bangalees feel proud for what I have done? If
these are correct, then why am I being tortured
this way when I am still alive? I am hoping that
you will come to aid in my time of distress,
immediately at this critical time of our extreme
distress and danger.

Bangladesh is amidst a great danger now, a
devastated flood has struck us, there is no end
to human sufferings; however, this is not the
last deluge to hit Bangladesh.

Bangladesh is sinking albeit very slowly,
according to some geologist the nation may sink
into the Bay of Bengal in the next quarter of the
century. But we could obstruct this downward
journey through knowledge and our effort.

If we fail to take up the measure, then we, the
nationals of Bangladesh , have to swim ashore to
another nation just as a rodent does. Maybe,
others will refuse us to climb ashore. Many of us
would be dead in the next quarter of the century.
However, we should work for our next generation.
We are duty bound to build a nation that is safe
and advanced for our next generation.

But no one gives a damn about it. The
fundamentalists are bent on killing people who
hold a similar philosophy of life like mine; they
think annihilating folks like me would solve all
the problems that ail Bangladesh .

Amidst this devastating flood, I would like to
mingle with our people, but I am bereft of that
right. Being confined to the four walls of my
house I could see how agonizingly they are
passing theirs time. I hear that my ancestral
village is under water, but I could hardly visit
the place; if I attempt to go there, the
marauding band of assassins will surely follow me.

The nature is wreaking havoc on us now, but those
assassins who hold a differing view from mine put
my life in danger. This vile force has not given
up the idea to threaten me ad infinitum even when
calamities have struck Bangladesh.

Dear honorable Prime Minister, leader of the main
opposition party, my countrymen, in this time of
great danger I am handing over the security of my
family members and mine in your hand. It is up to
you to decide whether Bangladesh will remain
under the sharp instrument of murder hold by the
marauding band of assassins, should my family
members and I spend sleepless night frightened by
the ominous presence of the goons?

Should the nation of ours be inundated with
blood? Will the humanity get a shiver watching
Bangladesh in this pathetic state? We don't have
much time. You decide what would be the proper
step to take, and this is my earnest request to
you all, my countrymen, including you- respected
PM and the leader of the opposition. Translated
by the members of advisory board of Mukto-mona.
( www.mukto-mona.com )

Women's Network for Peace and Freedom
1, Amble Way, Gosforth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE3
3JB [UK] | zinthiya at yahoo.co.uk

12th August 04

WOMEN IN BLACK

Dear Sisters

Please support our Campaign against the War In Sri Lanka

I am writing to you on behalf of Women's Network
for Peace and Freedom,  with regards to the
ongoing conflict of Sri Lanka which has claimed
thousands of lives including women and children
and destroying millions of rupees of wealth
otherwise which could have been used towards the
welfare of this developing country.  WNPF is
Campaigning to stop the human rights violations
of civilians being committed by the government
forces as well at the Liberation Tigers for Tamil
Eelam (LTTE) which is fighting for an independent
state in the north east of Sri Lanka since 1983.

Our network is joining many organisations,
community groups, universities, businesses and
individual activities all over Sri Lanka and the
world in this campaign.

We request you to help us break the silence and
bring attention to the war in Sri Lanka which has
been forgotten by the international community to
put pressure on the

 The Sri Lankan government to resume
negotiations immediately with the LTTE including
other minority political groups

 The LTTE to stop all extra judicial killings,
violence against civilians and rival group
members and observe the current peace agreement.

 Opposition Political parties to support the peace process more proactively.

This campaign is to make the Sri Lankan
government, the LTTE and all political parties
realise that the we will  no longer condone or
remain silent about the war and the violence that
is destroying thousand of peoples lives,
properties, livelihoods and the future of the
younger generations.  We are writing to you in
the hope that you will help our struggle in the
name of sisterhood.  We would really appreciate
any support you can give us to raise awareness of
the issue and put pressure toward bringing peace
to Sri Lanka.

With best wishes

Zinthiya Ganehspanchan
Coordinator-

Dawn,

TEACHING AND RESEARCH ON INDIA IN PAKISTAN - A CONSPICUOUS ABSENCE

By S. Akbar Zaidi

In many important ways, there is not much of a
story to tell. An attempt to look at empirical
data and evidence in order to examine the nature,
extent and quality of social science teaching and
research conducted in the disciplines of
economics, history, sociology, political science
and international relations, in Pakistan on
India, draws almost a complete blank. There seems
to be a conspicuous, silent, absence of India in
Pakistan's academic and research institutions
where the social sciences are taught and
researched.
There are very few exceptions to this general
observation, both in terms of individuals and
institutions. Most of the exceptions that do
exist, both in terms of individuals and
institutions, strictly speaking, are not part of
the broader category of the social sciences, and
are almost exclusively restricted to 'experts' in
security studies.
This noticeable absence of India in Pakistan's
higher institutions of learning and research
ought to come as a surprise, given India's
dominant presence in Pakistan's historical,
political, cultural, and militarist existence and
being.
One would have thought, that like the
relationship between the United States and Russia
during the Cold War and between the US and China,
adversaries (and in this case, neighbours) like
India and Pakistan too, would have studied,
researched, taught, understood and analyzed each
other almost to extinction. Unlike all
adversaries in the world, Indians and Pakistanis
know nothing about each other.
There are two probable explanations for this. The
first relates to Pakistan's nature of the state
and to its intrusive security/military
establishment which lays claim to being the
fountain of all knowledge and wisdom in Pakistan
regarding most things, but especially regarding
anything having to do with India over which it
claims to have undisputed monopoly. And, the
second has to do with the rather dismal state of
the social sciences in Pakistan.
One needs to know whether the fact that India is
under-taught and under-researched, is
specifically due to India, or whether there are
additional explanations to be found in Pakistan's
social science structure and institutions. Since
India is perceived by many - and especially by
Pakistan's military and security establishment -
to be Pakistan's main adversary and its biggest
threat, we also look at some other possible
explanations as to why India is not taught or
researched enough in Pakistan's academic and
research institutions.
The main purpose was to try to answer the
question: How is India taught and researched in
Pakistan, in institutes and universities, in the
social science disciplines of history, political
science, economics, international relations and
sociology? The 'methodology' for this study is
based on interviews of key informants, some of
whom are academics, some researchers and others
who are columnists or commentators.
These include some of Pakistan's better known
academics, scholars and commentators, many of
whom were interviewed a few years ago for a study
which preceded this particular one and on which
it builds. The second component of the research
was a visit to institutions where some form of
research on India was thought to be taking place,
where the institutions' publications list and
curricula were analyzed in order to get an
understanding of the nature of research and
teaching taking place.
In addition, the social sciences publications
list of three of Pakistan's main publishers was
also examined for evidence to see whether there
were any publications on India in the social
sciences; catalogues in three libraries in
different departments were also quickly scanned
to get an idea of the type and number of books
that they hold on India. Some secondary published
and unpublished material was also analyzed - in
particular, titles and lists of theses in the
social sciences.
Data provided by the Council of Social Sciences
(COSS) in Pakistan, an independent body which
collects data and publishes books, reports and
newsletters about the state and issues related to
the social sciences in Pakistan, shows an
extraordinary statistic: in the 56 year period
1947-2003, there have been only 1,202 theses
conducted both, at the MPhil and PhD level at all
the universities in Pakistan in a very broad
range of social science subjects.
Based on the data base developed by COSS, a
search based on key words from the theses title
and subject, provided the following information
based on the 1,202 MPhil and PhD theses. For the
word 'India', there were 41 theses, for
'Pakistan-India' 24, and for 'Kashmir' 14. Of
these 41 theses on 'India', the following
distribution according to the following broad
categories emerges: In the international
relations, strategic and defence studies
categories, along with the different area study
centres and departments, thirty of these 41
theses were completed, which look at nuclear
issues, the relationship with Pakistan and India
of China and the US and similar themes. Only five
look specifically at issues related internally to
India.
Another data set, that of the University of
Karachi Faculty of Arts which shows the total
number of MPhil and PhD degrees awarded in the
1958-2002 period, shows an even grimmer picture
with reference to research on India in Pakistan.
A total of 239 MPhil and PhD degrees were awarded
by the faculty, including some on subjects not
normally categorized as part of the social
sciences, such as languages. Of the 184 PhDs
awarded by the University of Karachi, more than
thirty percent are on Urdu, 12 each are on
Arabic, clinical psychology and philosophy.
Fourteen were in economics/applied economics,
nine in international relations, 25 in political
science, 10 in sociology and 12 in general
history. With the exception of two theses in
general history - one looking at Awadh in the
late 18th Century, and the other at Sindh under
the Mughals - not a single thesis of the 239 is
on any aspect related to India.
There is one recent thesis in international
relations on the 'national liberation struggle'
of the Kashmiris, and another on 'Azad' Kashmir
since 1947; that is about all that India features
in the research output in the social sciences
from the University of Karachi over a period of
45 years.
Indeed, it seems that for the Pakistani student
in the social sciences - who may know of the
latest Bollywood movies and its gossip or about
the last partnership between Rahul Dravid and VVS
Lakshman - India as a researchable academic and
intellectual category does not really exist, for
there have been almost no MPhil/PhD theses on
India in the last 57 years. Perhaps the students
should not be held responsible for this situation
and the real responsibility rests on the
shoulders of those who teach them and on what in
Pakistan is called 'the system'.
If one examines the curriculum at the master's
level for economics at the University of Karachi,
or the course content at the post-master's level
at the MPhil and masters of applied sciences in
economics courses at the same university, there
is absolutely no mention of India or the economy
(or economics) in India. It is quite fair to say
that India and its economics/economy are
non-existent in the economics teaching programmes
across Pakistan's universities.
The degree in political science at the University
of Karachi at the master's level has a number of
courses related to the theory of political
science as well as a number of courses which have
an applied/case study component. Along with more
standard modules in courses on Locke, Hobbes and
Rousseau, there are courses on 'Islamic political
theory and institutions', 'international law',
'comparative local government', 'public
administration', etc. In the case of say,
'comparative local government', there is one
module out of six, which looks at 'comparative
systems' in six countries, one of which was India.
In the course called 'Public administration', the
principles of public administration were to be
taught with reference to Pakistan, the US, UK and
France. A course entitled 'The political system
of the developing countries' looked at
comparative politics with regard to Pakistan,
Iran, Turkey and India, although in its list of
38 recommended books for this course, there was
no book by any Indian author. Other courses such
as 'Studies in political systems' and 'Theory and
practice of modern government', looked at China,
Japan, Indonesia and Malaysia in the former
course, and the UK, USSR (sic), USA, Switzerland,
France and Pakistan, in the latter.
The curriculum for sociology is based largely on
US textbooks and problems of developed countries
and on theory which was popular perhaps thirty
years ago in the US. There are a few specialized
sub-disciplines in sociology such as medical
sociology, urban sociology, etc., but their
reading lists are more reminiscent of the 1960s
in the US than with recent developments or with
developing countries. India does not feature
anywhere in the list of countries, themes or
reading lists provided and the entire orientation
is largely Western, but specifically of the
1960s/1970s era American school of sociology.
It is not completely surprising that India is
ignored in the economics, sociology and political
science curricula at the master's level for
reasons that relate to the general state of
education and research in Pakistan and which are
discussed below. However, because of ideological
connotations (and an obvious historical link), it
is not possible to ignore India's presence in the
syllabus for history. There are 27 papers in the
two year general history course at Karachi
University, with numerous courses on South Asian
history, from the time of Asoka and Harsha to
more modern times, culminating in Pakistan's
independence.
There are papers in the history curriculum which
differentiate Indian/South Asian history over
specific periods and begin with a course
entitled: 'History of South Asia from the
earliest times to 1000 AD - excluding the Arab
conquest of Sindh'. This is followed by separate
South Asian History courses based on the
following periodization: 712 to 1526, 1526-1761
and 1761-1947. There are also courses on the
History of Europe, of the US, of the Middle East
since 1919, as well as optional papers on the
French Revolution and Ancient Greece.
Other courses include the 'History of the Freedom
Movement 1857-1947', and one which is entitled
'Constitutional history of the Subcontinent
1773-1962 - excluding Indian constitutional
developments since 1947'. There are no courses in
the syllabus on modern Pakistani history
post-1947, and not surprisingly, none on
independent India.
From the prescribed reading lists, it seems that
for the most part, the history curriculum which
focuses on South Asia, deals almost exclusively
with a 'Muslim history' of India and its
interaction with the British. history seems to be
divided into eras such as, a pre-Muslim period,
the Arab invasion of Sindh, the Delhi Sultanate,
the Mughals, and followed by the Freedom Struggle
1857-1947. For example, in the paper 'History of
South Asia 712-1526', all the topics listed in
the syllabus deal with the exploits of Muslim
rulers, their administration, political system,
etc.
Similarly, the 31 topics for the 1761-1947 paper,
deal with the decline of the Mughals and the rise
of the British, with Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan,
with 1857 and the Muslim Renaissance under Syed
Ahmad Khan, the Morley-Minto Reforms and the
Muslim League; yet, there is no mention of the
Congress, Nehru or Gandhi. Clearly, while the
General History paper has a large component of
'India', this is an India which is based on a
very narrow and exclusivist reading of what was
India between 712-1947.
In the Islamic history MA syllabus, a course
entitled the 'Evolution of the Muslim community
in the Indo-Pakistan Subcontinent 610-1947 CE'
is, not surprisingly, even less inclusivist than
the General History paper, and here even the
British do not get a mention or make a presence.
However, it needs to be mentioned that in the
readings provided for the General History courses
where there are numerous Western authors - both
of earlier generations and some contemporary
historians - there are also a number of
non-Muslim Indian authors, such as Beni Prasad,
RC Majumdar, Jadunath Sarkar, Tara Chand and R P
Dutt.
On the other hand, in the Islamic History course
mentioned above, all references are of either
British historians or then of Muslim writers,
some of whom, such as Abul Kalam Azad, Aziz Ahmad
and Khaliq Ahmad Nizami, are Indians; there are
no non-Muslim Indian historians whose books are
recommended for the course which deals with India
in the period 610-1947.
The picture that emerges from the discussion of
the theses above, shows quite conclusively that
there is very little substantive research on
India at the university level in Pakistan today.
That of teaching, and particularly that of
history, does show a poor, though perhaps not a
completely dismal picture. In the case of
economics and sociology, it is clear that no
teaching regarding India takes place and almost
no research in the former.
The first problem arises in naming the subject
itself: what should it be called? It can't be
called the 'History of India', or of the
subcontinent, for that in many ways undermines
the official justification of Partition and
questions the separate identity of Muslims which,
according to the official view, emerged in 712
AD. So the course or segment on Indian history,
usually ends up being called the 'History of
Indo-Pak'. Moreover, the now accepted term of
'South Asia' seems to have saved the blushes of
many officials and ideologues who were forced to
call South Asia the 'Indian' subcontinent, or
undivided India. The periodization which the
British introduced, into a Hindu, Muslim and
British India, and which many Indian Marxist
historians have tried to replace by Ancient,
Medieval and Modern, suits Pakistani
historiography, for here there is a very clear,
accepted, period called 'Muslim India'.
Nevertheless, this raises questions of how to
look at Moenjodaro or the Indus Valley
civilization, since while these are located on
what is now Pakistan, they pre-date 'Muslim'
history in Pakistan. Some Pakistani historians
call this period 'Pakistan's ancient
civilization'. This causes further problems: What
is 'Pakistan's' history and when did it begin?
From the Indus Valley civilization? From the
times of Muhammad bin Qasim in 712? Or, in 1947?
Clearly, these are fundamental questions of
historiography in Pakistan (and relate to
Pakistan's very essence and identity), yet are
not discussed, and the official classification of
a Muslim history takes care of many of these
niggling questions.
One of the two official views of history also
causes problems for the study of History in
Pakistan. This view popularized by Dr Ahmad Dani
locates Pakistan as part of a Central Asian
historical and cultural entity, rather than
within India/South Asia. In the first decade
after Pakistan's independence, Pakistan
considered its history to be part of a larger
India's, a common history, a joint history, and
in fact Indian textbooks were in use in the
syllabus in Pakistan. However, this changed in
the early 1960s when Ayub Khan's government
wanted to create a 'History of Pakistan'
independent and separate from that of India's.
The historians who were given this task attempted
to 'take out' Pakistan from Indian history and
just look at Pakistan without India. This gave
rise to the writing of a Pakistani history
disassociated from an Indian past and links were
established with Central Asia.
It is very clear, that in Pakistan, it is 'Muslim
history' that is being taught, and not 'Indian
history'. In fact, this Muslim history, as we
argue above, is perceived to be a Pakistani
history dating from 712 AD. This has major
repercussions on what is taught and the way it is
taught. For example, since there is a Muslim
history and there are courses and subjects called
'The Freedom Movement' which looks at the
struggle for an independent Pakistan - the seeds
of which according to some historians were sown
in 712 AD, but for others in 1857 - seems to
overlook the colonial period entirely and treats
the Freedom Struggle as a struggle from Hindu
domination, not colonial rule.
In none of the curricula studied, did we find a
single course on British India, or on
colonialism; the period after 1857 is seen as the
beginning of the Pakistan Movement and of the
Freedom Struggle. From the 'Muslim' period, we
move on to the 'Struggle for Pakistan'. In
essence, the Freedom Movement is shown to be a
movement for the freedom of Muslims in India, but
not of India from colonialism.
What is interesting, though not at all
surprising, is that post-independence modern
India, is not taught as part of the history
syllabus in Pakistan. For that matter, nor is
there a course on the history of modern Pakistan,
since both of these countries in this era, are
treated under politics.
At the Quaid-i-Azam University in the
international relations and political science
departments and at the area study centre, some
professors had 'made a deliberate attempt to
devise a number of courses on different aspects
of India'. These courses were said to be very
popular with the students and the nature and
level of the courses depended critically on the
faculty's interest and desire to teach these
courses.
The main courses which were offered and were
popular, related to the politics of South Asia
and particularly of India. One consequence of
this has been that there have been a few theses
on Indian politics in recent years. However,
there is also a realization that the old cadre
and the older professors who belonged to a
different generation are leaving and many have
already left. Much of the research and teaching
was initiated by these professors and there is
concern, as with all teaching and research
departments in Pakistan, that once this
generation retires, there will be very little
research and teaching on not just India, but on
just about everything else as well.
Interestingly enough, teachers at the University
of Karachi's international relations department
said that as late as 1989, the term 'South Asia'
was "banned" in the department, since it was
considered too 'pro-India' and was thought to be
a part of an India-centric thinking. South Asia
as a subject was introduced only after a
democratic government took over in 1988-89 after
the death of General Ziaul Haq.

This article is adapted from a paper presented by
the author at a workshop in New Delhi in July
2004. The workshop was part of the University of
Pennsylvania's Institute for the Advanced Study
of India Project 'International relations theory
and South Asia: Towards long-range research on
conflict resolution and cooperation-building'.
The author is currently a visiting professor at
Johns Hopkins University in the US.

(To be continued)

Full Text of the draft [India's] National Rural
Employment Guarantee Act, 2004 is now available
online at the SACW web site | 16th of August, 2004
See URL: www.sacw.net/Labour/DraftNEGA_140804.html

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/