SACW | 4 Aug 2004

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Aug 3 20:46:29 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire    |  4 August,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Change slow to come for Pakistani women (Marina Jiménez)
[2]  Hulla Balloo over Triple Talaq in India: 3
articles from Communalism Combat
(i) 'If there is anything truly secular in India
it is the violence against women' (Brinda Karat)
(ii) 'All unjust personal laws must go, be they
Hindu, Muslim or Christian' (Indira Jaising)
(iii) Us' or 'the enemy' (Javed Anand)
[3] Policy on unwed mothers  (Surina Narula)
[4] Upcoming  AMAN Peace and Conflict Studies Course
[5] Film Screening: 'Freedom Before 11' (August 6, 2004, Bombay)
[6] Publication announcement: 'Domesticating
Modern Science by Dhruv Raina and S Irfan Habib'
[7] Upcoming Southall Black Sisters Conference on
violence against Black and Minority Women
(London, 15 November)
[8]

--------------

[1]

The Globe and Mail - August 2, 2004 - Page A9

CHANGE SLOW TO COME FOR PAKISTANI WOMEN
City dwellers now enjoy new freedoms, but in rural areas old rules still apply

by Marina Jiménez

ISLAMABAD -- At the Hot Spot café, a renovated
railcar with retro movie posters and New
York-style cheesecake, Sana Qudsia is taking the
first tentative steps toward women's liberation,
Pakistani-style.

She is enjoying a milkshake on a sunny afternoon
with a man who is not related to her. Her light
crimson shalwar kameez is fitted to her petite
frame and she wears a stylish scarf draped around
her shoulders, her hair in a ponytail. She
doesn't have to be home until dinner time.

"Things have really changed in the last few
years," says Ms. Qudsia, a 21-year-old
business-administration graduate who lives in
Islamabad with her parents. "It used to be if
police saw me walking with a boy in a park
together, they would arrest us unless we showed
them a marriage contract or paid a bribe."

Pakistan is still a conservative Muslim country
and the mullahs remain a powerful force, but in
Islamabad and other large cities, such as
Karachi, there are small but promising signs of
change.

Last year, a group of female film stars performed
The Vagina Monologues in the capital, daring to
laugh at women's sexuality in a country where
many women cannot even show their elbows in
public. The performers had to rehearse secretly
in a house out of town and hire bouncers in case
militant youths tried to stop the show.

But it went off without a hitch, and the actors
recently followed up with a sequel. "Just the
fact that they discussed these issues and linked
it to other topics involving the plight of women
was amazing," said a diplomat in attendance.

Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf often
mentions the need to improve the status of women
in his speeches, and has made a priority out of
reforming the Hudood Ordinance, legislation that
includes a version of the 7th-century zina
(fornication) law. Under this law, a woman who
complains of rape must produce at least four male
witnesses. If she fails to prove that the
intercourse was forced, she is convicted of
adultery.

A female MP and lawyer from the governing party
is overseeing an effort to repeal the 1979
ordinance and amend the blasphemy laws that allow
the imprisonment of those accused of taking the
name of Allah in vain. Yet while the urban elite
may be feeling the winds of change, the majority
of the country's rural population still live
under the old rules, where honour killings take
place and husbands are known to burn their wives
with acid.

In Peshawar, capital of the North West Frontier
Province, bordering Afghanistan, the ruling
coalition of religious parties introduced sharia
law last year, further restricting the rights of
women. Plans are under way to build a women-only
university. All females over the age of 12
(Muslims and non-Muslims alike) have been forced
into purdah (head-to-toe veiling in public
places) and male doctors have been told not to
treat female patients, although this has not been
enforced.

The provincial government has also banned music
on public transportation, confiscated billboards
and greeting cards with images of women, and
burned thousands of "un-Islamic" videocassettes,
compact discs and even deodorant sticks (in the
mistaken belief they were sex toys). The
six-party governing alliance, known as the
Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal (MMA), has created a
special department to enforce public morality,
similar to the ministry for the prevention of
vice and promotion of virtue set up by the former
Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

"It is the Talibanization of the North West
Frontier province," complains Afra Siab Khattak,
chair of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan
and an opposition politician. "It's a scary place
to be a woman . . . With more segregation, men
are more curious and poke and stare more. It's
intimidating."

The commission attempts to monitor acts of
intimidation against aid workers and human-rights
workers, as well as acts of violence against
women, most of which goes unreported.

Mr. Khattak says General Musharraf is partly to
blame for the current climate, saying the
military dictator "appears to be going to the
left, but is actually going to the right." He
accuses Gen. Musharraf of pandering to the
mullahs.

Other analysts agree, pointing out that it was
Zia al-Haq, the general who ruled the country
from 1977 to 1988, who first formed a strategic
alliance with the radical religious forces and
implemented Islamic laws.

"Traditionally, the Islamist parties have been
natural allies of the army, as against the
democratic forces in this country, and this is an
alliance that is yet to be questioned under the
Musharraf regime," concluded Ajai Sahni, editor
of the South Asia Intelligence Review, in a
recent article in Asia Times magazine. "The
threat of a collapse into fundamentalist anarchy
has constantly been held out to the world as
justification for the continuation of
authoritarian rule by the military."

Haji Ihsan ul-Haq, secretary-general of the MMA,
denies that his party is oppressing women --
although he would be scandalized to see Ms.
Qudsia sitting in a café, her head bare, with a
young unrelated man. The bawdy humour of The
Vagina Monologues would be utterly unthinkable.

Seated cross-legged on the floor of a religious
bookstore in a Peshawar market, Mr. ul-Haq
defends his party's record on women. As he sees
it, the MMA government is asking "Islamic men" to
accept their responsibilities -- to provide for
their women and children -- and teaching women to
be "in purdah and remain in their jurisdiction."

"Go around the whole province and you won't even
see one single incident of a woman being treated
badly," Mr. ul-Haq said. "We haven't imposed a
Taliban-style system. Look, I'm sitting before
you and talking to you. Islam says to cover your
head, but we are only preaching and not imposing."

But his platform rings hollow to activists and
human-rights workers, who say they have received
anonymous threats for their attempts to work with
women.

"It is a stigma to work for a non-governmental
organization here in Peshawar," said Jamila
Akberzai, with the Afghan Women's Welfare
department. "They think aid workers are
destabilizing family life by asking women to
raise their voices for their rights."

Mr. Khattak adds, "Conditions are better today in Kabul than here."

______

[2]   [HULLA BALLOO OVER TRIPLE TALAQ IN INDIA:
        3 articles from the latest issue of Communalism Combat ]

(i)

Communalism Combat - July 2004

'IF THERE IS ANYTHING TRULY SECULAR IN INDIA IT IS THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN'

by Brinda Karat
(General secretary, All India Democratic Women's Association)

There are two or three key issues that need to be
kept in mind when intervening in the controversy
over triple talaq. Generally speaking, if one
looks at the position of all women, that is women
belonging to all communities, their position in
all aspects of life is worsening. Whether it is
the issue of domestic violence or inequalities
across the board, there is a marked increase in
the violence against women that we are seeing
through our work all over the country.

We run 125 area-based cells for women across the
country. If in a certain locality a particular
community is predominant, many more women of that
caste or community come to our cells there.
Therefore, in certain areas we have a
predominance of Dalit or Muslim women approaching
us for assistance. We have found through this
experience that if there is anything truly
'secular' in India it is the violence against
women.

A very basic and important aspect of our approach
is the framework through which we approach the
issue and on the basis of which we arrive at our
understanding and perspective of the issue.
Therefore, for us to see the triple talaq issue
as a religion-based issue alone is not right.

It is true that dowry related violence and
killing predominantly affects one community just
as triple talaq affects only Muslim women. But
what people fail to see is that the status of
women across the board is under assault and being
undermined.

Taking a second wife is very common, across the
board, in all communities, whether the personal
law allows it or not. Violence against women -
severe beating, slapping around, being thrown out
of the matrimonial home, is also common to all
communities, whether society at large, the
community, political parties, etc. acknowledge it
or not. Likewise, among Muslim women, triple
talaq is certainly a matter of great concern.

Now, what do we as an organisation do when faced
with this form of unfair and brutal treatment?
The most important thing to remember is that as
an organisation we believe in a multi-dimensional
approach. We believe that a woman has different
choices. She can go to court, negotiate a
settlement with a local maulvi, or seek the
support of a local women's organisation. The
important thing for us is that it is the Muslim
woman down there who is facing the situation. She
is the protagonist who is fighting for herself
and her children. She is fighting the family, her
community and the State. It would be well for
campaigners to remember whom they are fighting
for.

Hence, for us as an organisation, given the
aggressively polarised situation in India where
the woman is a prime target of communal violence,
there is a broad preference to resolve the issue
of triple talaq within the framework of religion
itself. So, while we know that the stance of the
Muslim Personal Law Board has been indecisive,
etc., given the ground-level situation, we
believe that we need to engage with them even as
we, as an organisation, also support women who
have gone to court on the issue of triple talaq.

While there may be some who are of the view that
we should not engage with the AIMPLB because they
are non-secular, we feel that they are part of
the different choices a Muslim woman in India
has. She can go to court, she can go to the local
maulvi, she can go to a women's organisation. If
she feels that she needs to demand a greater
share from the AIMPLB or Wakf Board, say, to ask
the latter why they are not spending wakf money
for women's shelters, she should have the right
to make that demand and it is for us to support
it.

When protest against anything, even a practice
like triple talaq, becomes polemical and part of
the political agenda of groups who do not
necessarily have any concern for the plight of
women in general, or Muslim women in particular,
it becomes problematic.

In the context of the recent incident in Orissa
(see box), we are in the process of launching a
mass protest and campaign against the practice
through a leaflet where we will solicit men and
women of all communities - not just Muslims - to
say that such a practice is wrong. Then, at a
general level, this specific issue must fit into
a wider campaign about the Indian Constitution,
women's rights and gender. At an individual
level, the intervention must have an appreciation
of the position of that individual Muslim woman,
the protagonist.

This is an approach that we like to follow in all
our campaigns and protests because we believe,
fundamentally, that when any issue is looked at
or approached from a religious point of view it
gets polluted and vitiated. The issue must remain
gender-based.

With religious fundamentalism on the rise and
identity-based groupings on the upswing, with
aggressive community-driven violence and its
retrograde rhetoric vitiating the political
atmosphere, we believe that it is unethical for a
political campaign to victimise the victim, that
is, the Muslim woman, further. We believe that it
is ridiculous to expect reform in one area when
all around - politically and socially - we are
regressing as a polity. The shoulders of a Muslim
woman have always been bent with the plight of
her existence. Now, with aggressive Hindu
communalism, they have been further bent in
humiliation by brutal sexual violence. At a time
like this we believe a humane, multi-dimensional
approach that not only recognises her plight
through practices like triple talaq, but also
strengthens her capacity to fight them, is the
right ethical and realistic approach.

o o o

(ii)

Communalism Combat - July  2004

'ALL UNJUST PERSONAL LAWS MUST GO, BE THEY HINDU, MUSLIM OR CHRISTIAN'

by Indira Jaising
(Senior lawyer, Supreme Court of India, and women's rights activist)

Triple talaq is a system of di-vorce that exists
in Muslim Per-sonal Law that allows the hus-band
to divorce his wife by uttering the word 'talaq'
thrice. This right does not exist for the woman.
A Muslim woman has no right to divorce her
husband through a system similar to the triple
talaq. She would need to go to a Darul Qaza and
prove the atrocities committed by her husband in
order to get a divorce.

I have dealt with several cases where Muslim
women have been driven to the divorce court in
prolonged proceedings when their husbands have
opposed a divorce. She can, however, get an
extra-judicial divorce on the condition that she
forgoes her mehr. The situation is patently
discriminatory against women. It is primarily an
issue of justice - can a marriage contract
entered into by the free consent of two parties
be broken by the unilateral will of one party? No
other contract, including commercial contracts,
can be broken in this manner. The breaking of a
marriage contract has emotional and financial
concerns that go beyond any other contractual
concerns. Often it is not only the interests of
women that are at stake but those of children as
well.

The Bombay high court observed many years ago
that the practice of triple talaq may be 'good in
law' but is 'bad in theology'. This is a strange
role reversal. I believe the truth lies the other
way around - 'may or may not be good in
theology', but 'bad in law.'

Supreme Court on Triple Talaq:

In Ahmedabad Women's Action Group (AWAG) and
others v. Union of India, (1997) 3 SCC 573, a
writ petition was filed to declare Muslim
Personal Law, which enables a Muslim male to give
unilateral talaq to his wife without her consent
and without resort to judicial process of courts,
as void, offending Articles 13, 14 and 15 of the
Constitution.

However, the Court refused to entertain the writ
petition because the issue involved State
policies. The Court was of the opinion that the
remedy could not be provided by the judicial
process and instead must be sought elsewhere.

At the same time, the Court has tried to
introduce some safeguards into the talaq process.
The Court has stated that talaq, in order to be
effective, has to be pronounced. In Shamim Ara v.
State of UP and another, (2002) 7 SCC 518, a mere
plea taken in a written statement of a divorce
having been pronounced sometime in the past was
held to not be treated as effectuating a talaq.
Instead, a talaq had to be 'pronounced', that is,
it had to be proclaimed, uttered formally and
articulated. Therefore, the Court has introduced
a condition precedent for the effectiveness of a
divorce.

I totally disagree with this approach of the
court in the AWAG case. Under our scheme of laws,
the courts are bound to give their opinion of the
constitutional validity of any personal law, be
it Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or Parsi. I recognise the
problem that arose in the Shah Bano case. Yet I
think that the problem there was the fact that
the Court, instead of confining itself to the
constitutional and legal validity of the grant of
maintenance to Muslim women under Section 125,
CrPC, took it upon itself to interpret the Koran.

It is no part of the court's role to interpret
the Koran and spell out the entitlements of women
from the Koran. Our constitutional entitlements
as spelt out by the courts must come from the
Constitution, not the Koran or the Manusmriti. It
is in no part the business of the courts to
interpret religious texts, that is the job of
theologians, not the constitutional court. When
judges begin to interpret the Koran, or give us a
definition of 'Sati' as being a Sita from
Ramayana and Anasuya, or interpret the content of
'Hindutva' as in Manohar Joshi's case, they
destroy one of the core commitments of the
Constitution, namely, secularism. No secular
judiciary has the right to interpret what is the
core content of any religion, Hindu, Muslim or
Christian. The storm over Shah Bano was over the
authority of the Court to interpret the Koran. It
has nothing to do with gender justice.

We are passing through difficult times, when
right wing forces have polarised society and
unleashed an assault against the minorities. At
such times it is even more necessary that the
courts take a "hands off" position on religion.

This, however, does not mean that they take a
'hands off' position on law. Any rule,
regulation, custom or law that binds citizens is
capable of being challenged on the grounds that
it violates the fundamental rights of citizens.
Triple talaq must be declared unconstitutional,
not because it is un-Islamic, but because it is
unconstitutional.

More than 54 years after independence, it is time
we recognise that our constitutional values are
as much a part of our cultural inheritance as any
other. Courts have been put in place to enforce
constitutional values. That is their job. Their
refusal to do so is an abdication of function. It
is relevant to note the approach of the Supreme
Court in Danial Latifi v. Union of India, (2001)
7 SCC 740. In interpreting the Muslim Women
(Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986, the
Court held that the Act would be unconstitutional
if not interpreted to mean that women would get a
reasonable and fair provision and maintenance.
The Court fought shy of declaring the Act
unconstitutional, but at least they did not base
their interpretation of the Act on theology, but
on the Constitution.

It is not as if courts have taken a hands off
approach to Muslim law alone, they have done the
same with Hindu Personal Law. No provisions of
Hindu Personal Law have been declared
unconstitutional, though repeatedly challenged.
This deference to religion, be it Hindu or
Muslim, is unhealthy and has subverted a debate
on gender justice.

All unjust personal laws must go, be they Hindu,
Muslim or Christian. The issue is not uniformity
but gender justice - all unjust laws must be
declared unconstitutional. It is up to women of
all persuasions to challenge all unconstitutional
personal laws. While the Personal Law Board may
or may not recognise a triple talaq, a
constitutional court certainly should not, on the
ground that it is unjust, unfair, arbitrary and
discriminatory.

At a recent meeting of the All India Muslim
Personal Law Board, the Board refused to discuss
the issue of triple talaq and the need to reform
the practice into more equitable and gender
sensitive practices. The meeting ended with the
promise that the Board would spread awareness
among the Muslim community about practices of
'triple talaq in one sitting'.

These may be laudable efforts by the Board. The
body however has no authority to lay down the law
of the land and interpret the Constitution. Its
legitimate role would be advocacy for the
acceptance of an altered and equitable
constitutional regime.

o o o o

(iii)

Communalism Combat  - July  2004

'US' OR 'THE ENEMY'

by Javed Anand

In their attitude towards notions of freedom of
conscience, freedom of expression, the right to
dissent or the right to be different, there is
little to choose between the Hindu Taliban and
the Muslim Bajrang Dal. There is perhaps some
advantage in this 'mix-up', if only to underscore
the point that the Taliban and the Bajrang Dal
are mindsets as much as they are organisations.

In the black or white mental universe of these
self-proclaimed crusaders, no shade of grey is
permissible. Since they are the sole defenders of
faith, they alone must have the unquestioned
right to interpret it. Because their belief
system is forever in danger, in the eternal 'Holy
War' they are engaged in there can be no neutral
ground and the distinction between friend and foe
is critical. You are either "us" or "the enemy".

It is therefore not in the least surprising that
in the last few weeks, under cover of a motley
crowd of bearded men in flowing robes, pompously
projected as Hazrat Maulana so-and-so, plus some
truly pseudo-secular politicians from the
Congress and the Samajwadi Party with an eye on
the Muslim vote (assembly elections are around
the corner in Maharashtra), the Urdu Times
published from Mumbai has launched a jihad
against the less than year-old Muslims for
Secular Democracy (MSD).

The Urdu Times' hostility towards MSD since the
latter's inception on Gandhi Jayanti Day (October
2, 2003) has been evident from the twisted logic
emanating from the warped minds of several of the
columnists and editorial staff of the Urdu daily.
That this should be so is also not surprising.

MSD stands committed to equal citizenship, rule
of law, fundamental rights, gender justice and an
emphatic 'No' to both 'Mob Violence' and 'Bomb
Violence'. What the Urdu Times stands for, on the
other hand, is best understood from how it
celebrated the devastating earthquake that took a
huge toll on life and property in the Latur and
Osmanabad districts of Maharashtra several years
ago, as Allah's revenge on the infidels.

"Delays there may be, but Allah's ways are always
justŠ We Muslims are of the firm conviction that
Allah's curse is sure to fall on those who have
made life miserable for Indian Muslims. Latur and
Osmanabad are districts from where many villagers
had sent a number of kar sevaks to Ayodhya. They
participated in the demolition of the Babri
Masjid on December 6Š Praise be to Allah Almighty
who has reduced to dust those who committed
sacrilege on the sacred soil of the Babri Masjid"
(Editorial in the January 22, 1994 edition of the
Urdu Times).

On the eve of the All India Muslim Personal Law
Board's Kanpur meeting (July 4), MSD held a press
conference in Mumbai to reiterate its demand for
an end to the inhuman and anti-women practice of
triple talaq and for gender just reforms in all
existing personal laws, including the Muslim
Personal Law. This is the 'provocation' for which
the Urdu Times, dismissed as a communal rag by
many sensible Muslims, has launched its jihad
against MSD since early July.

It has published articles delving into the
personal life of MSD's president, Urdu poet and
lyricist, Javed Akhtar, in very distasteful and
extremely offensive language. Far more insidious,
however, are the other 'news reports' and
articles published by the daily, inciting hatred
and instigating violence against Akhtar in
particular and MSD's office bearers and members
in general. Akhtar was warned: "Remain in your
sensesŠ the day is not far when you too will be
counted amongst infamous blasphemers such as
Salman Rushdie and Taslima NasreenŠ"

The "Hazrat Maulanas", who, according to the Urdu
Times, held an emergency meeting to serve the
ultimatum on Akhtar and the MSD, also appealed to
all Muslims to impose a total social boycott
against the likes of Akhtar.

In other reports and articles, MSD and its
members have repeatedly and variously been
described as "enemies of Islam", "munafiqeen"
(dictionary meaning: hypocrites, infidels,
atheists, despoilers), a communist-led outfit
that is part of an international breed of Muslim
traitors, who while pretending to be Muslims are
in fact "pro-US, pro-Zionists, pro-sangh parivar".

But the most shocking instance of the daily's
inflammatory and highly irresponsible writing
assumed the form of an orchestrated campaign
against Sajid Rashid (executive chairman,
Maharashtra State Urdu Academy, editor, Hindi
eveninger, Hamara Mahanagar and vice-president,
MSD), for allegedly "insulting the Koran". That
this campaign against Rashid could incite some
hot-headed Muslims into violence against him
makes the bogus allegation despicable; else it is
so frivolous as to be laughable.

On July 19, a delegation of MSD office bearers,
accompanied by Teesta Setalvad (secretary,
Citizens for Justice and Peace), Nikhil Wagle
(editor, Mahanagar), met the Mumbai police
commissioner, AN Roy to demand criminal
prosecution of the editors, publisher,
proprietors and certain correspondents and
columnists of the Urdu Times for inciting hatred
and instigating violence against Akhtar and
Rashid in particular and other members of MSD in
general.

The delegation told the commissioner that the
voice of MSD would not be stifled by threats or
the use of violence and that MSD would hold Urdu
Times solely responsible should there be any
incident of violence against any member of MSD in
the coming months. They added that they expected
the police force in a secular society to stand by
those who stood for fundamental freedoms rather
than those who threatened violence to silence a
dissenting view.

The police commissioner assured the delegation
that he would immediately ask the legal
department of his police force to examine MSD's
demand for criminal prosecution.

(Javed Anand is general secretary, MSD).

Hindustan Times - August 2, 2004

POLICY ON UNWED MOTHERS
Through the Periscope| Surina Narula

Orissa was in the news recently because it had an
unprecedented number of young unwed mothers
between the ages of 14 to 20. Shunned by society
and rejected by their families they are allegedly
falling into the hands of traffickers and an
estimated 3000 girls are missing. Apparently they
had been promised marriage and a good life.
Frequent natural disasters in this area have made
a large number of people destitute, making them
easy targets of sexual exploitation. Neither the
Indian government nor the local panchayat have
come up with any positive solutions. Local NGOs
have taken up the cause of these victims and are
fighting for justice. It is quite sad to note the
reaction of a local panchayati who says that we
cannot help these girls because society will
accuse us of encouraging such immoral behaviour.

Individual experiences and realities often bear
no resemblance to the dominant discourses in
society. It is interesting to note that in
England in 1834 New Poor Law, unmarried mothers
were considered undeserving welfare subjects.
Unmarried mothers were characterised as lying,
manipulative, irresponsible, promiscuous, and
sexually corrupt and as bad mothers. There is a
commissioner's report that tells us, for example
that "continued illicit intercourse has, in
almost all cases, originated with the females"
and that "female in very many cases becomes the
corrupterŠthe womenŠfeel no disgrace".

Negative characterisation was restricted to women
and rarely, if at all, extended to men. There was
widespread hostility and opposition to the 1834
New Poor Law and it was criticized for 'operating
a dual standard of morality and for allowing men
to seduce women with impunity'. This law had a
long-term effect and left England with a legacy
of single unmarried mothers as stigmatised.
Social policy, therefore, played a significant
role in regulating and controlling women's
sexuality by defining their responsibilities and
diminishing their rights.

Almost two hundred years later we are facing a
similar situation in Orissa. The poor girls of
Orissa are going to be victimised by the rich
farmers and the corrupt bureaucracy. History is
supposed to be a great teacher. Are we in India,
going to go through a span of 200 years before we
stop judging people on morality issues?
Government policies are meant to alleviate the
problems of society not perpetuate them.
Panchayats in Orissa have been empowered recently
to take a greater role in policy. Empowering
local people on areas of local issues may be the
right way forward but on issues that affect the
rights of women may not be such a good idea.
Villages in India are still imbued with the
stereotypical image of Indian female sexuality
more akin to the Victorian - the passive, pure
and innocent woman. It is a very difficult task
to separate dominant discourses in society on
issues of morality and social policy, but that is
the only way forward for policy to be fair and
just.

The AMAN Peace and Conflict Studies Course
(In collaboration with Hamdard University)
Delhi, September 13 - October 13, 2004

Overview
This course on peace and conflict, organised by
the AMAN Trust, aims at developing and widening
intellectual discourse on the subject among
individuals working in NGOs, teachers,
journalists, students and other concerned
citizens.  The course will make Indian and South
Asian reality a starting point for an
investigation of conflict, violence and its many
ramifications.

[...]
Duration
The course will be conducted from 13th September to 13th October, 2004. [...]
Costs
[...] AMAN will charge a minimum (subsidised) fee
of Rs. 5,000/- (five thousand) for an individual
and Rs 15,000/- (fifteen thousand) for
participants sponsored by NGOs and organisations.
The costs are inclusive of accommodation and food
but do not include travel.
[...]

Application requirements
Participants ability to comprehend lectures and
other forms of discussion in English is
necessary, although the course is open to those
who wish to speak and submit their course work in
Hindi.
Prospective participants are required to send
following information by the 10 AUGUST.
Date of Birth
Educational qualification
Current Work Experience (100-200 words)
Other interests (100-200 words)
Why you want to attend the course (500-800 words)
Name and Contacts of two referees
Scholarships: A limited number of scholarships
are available. Those who wish to apply for this
should send us reasons for their request. (200
words)

Rubric 1:  Ethical and Philosophical Perspectives on Violence
Lead Instructor: Purushottam Agrawal

Rubric 2: Aspects of twentieth century world history
Lead Instructor: Dilip Simeon

Rubric 3: Gender, Armed Conflict and Political Violence
Lead Instructors: Urvashi Butalia

Rubric 4:  Capitalism, late capitalism and concepts of conflict..
Lead Instructor: Jairus Banaji

Rubric 5 : Issues in the Contemporary History of India and South Asia
Lead Instructor: Sumit Sarkar

Rubric 6: Human security, Citizenship and the Law
Lead Instructor: Nandita Haksar

Address correspondence to:
Hassath
c/o The Aman Trust