SACW | 20 June 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Jun 19 22:13:16 CDT 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  20 June,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1]  Pakistan: Transcript of interview with [...]
President Pervez Musharraf (Victoria Schofield)
[2]  Pakistan: Pluralism and Qazi Hussain (Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy)
[3]  Pak-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy: No to guns, yes to roses
+ Pakistan-India peace march on PIPFPD's 10th anniversary in Sept
[4]  Bangladesh: An interview with Naeem Mohaiemen
[5]  India: The government must speedily
implement the CMP to make its emancipatory mark
Reap the harvest  (Praful Bidwai)
[6] India: Reduce Nuclear Risk With Pakistan (Editorial, The Hindu)

--------------

[1]

The Telegraph [UK]

TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW WITH HIS EXCELLENCY PRESIDENT PERVEZ MUSHARRAF
By Victoria Schofield
(Filed: 20/06/2004)

How successful are operations against al Qa'eda
and Taliban supporters in South Waziristan?

As far as this operation is concerned it is
fairly successful. We do not know the results as
yet. The operation is still on. We need to see
the results once we flush out everyone and enter
those complexes, then only we know what damage
has been caused, the exact number of casualties.
Firing was very accurate from our side, therefore
a lot of damage must have been done.

Will this have an inflammatory effect on the rest
of the country and in tribal territory?

No, I don't think it is going to spread in the
tribal territory because of the right policies we
followed. We followed the political path first.
The jirga took certain decisions and the jirga
ordered a lashkar to be formed and a laskhar was
formed and it went inside but it failed and
therefore according to regulations we were
authorised to take certain actions against the
subtribe which had failed to deliver, and that
was followed by this military action.

In fact, we suffered casualties because of
certain actions by the militants and therefore
all the more reason that we undertook this
military operation. I don' t think it is going to
spread to other tribal regions. But it can have a
fall out - these people have contacts elsewhere
in the country and they can retaliate in the rest
of the country in the form of bomb blasts,
attacks on important persons and installations -
and so we have to guard against that.

Looking at the law and order situation in
Pakistan with frequent bomb blasts, the recent
attack on your Corps Commander in Karachi - how
connected is this with what is going on in tribal
territory?

We are not very sure if it is related to Wana. We
have apprehended the people who were involved. We
will show them on television also at the right
time. But we are not really sure if there is
linkage with Taliban, al Qa'eda and the people
who carried out this terrorist attack against the
Corps Commander.

Now seems an ideal time to work towards
incorporating tribal territory into Pakistan, but
in view of the confused situation, are you having
to go slow on plans to 'democratise' tribal
territory?

Under the present circumstances we have to go
slow. Because we don't know the undercurrents
working there. It is a society which has been
deprived in the past, ill educated, backward so
we would not like to take actions where religious
extremists get some kind of a hold in some areas,
which could be counter-productive to the
democratic process,

Because there would be a vacuum if you moved against the tribal leaders?

Yes, so we would much prefer acting with the
tribal leadership - the maliks - who we are sure
are not religious extremists.

Recently there have been a number of suicide
bombings, is this a new phenomenon and much more
difficult to control?

Yes - it is a new phenomenon. But it is not
widespread; there have been a few incidents in
Pakistan but it is not as bad as Palestine or
Israel or Iraq. Because most of the incidents
which you are seeing are not suicide bombings.

There are a few. However yes it is the most
dangerous act because counter measures are
difficult. We have to take coun ter measures in
the form of breaking the groups. And may I very
proudly say that the Intelligence agencies are
doing an excellent job in breaking these groups.
As I said the Corps Commander's attack was just a
few days back and we have already got the people
who were in the action.

So I think it's a great achievement if we can
keep breaking these various factions who are
either operating under sectarian extremism or
religious extremism. Both these groups have to be
battled with.

You are not prepared to release the names of
those involved in the Karachi attack.

Not as yet. There are a few more left. We are
very hopeful that we will get them in a few days.
Until that time I don't want to comment.

In your talks with the government of India over
Kashmir: you are intending to approach the
Kashmir issue with flexibility - can you outline
what Pakistan's position might be in terms of
that flexibility?

I have used this word 'flexibility' very boldy.
It does not go well in our domestic environment
because there is a UN Security Council resolution
of 1948 which says there has to be a plebisicte.
Now our stand is unchanged. It does not meant
that when I say flexibility that we have given up
on our previous stand We are still holding onto
the stand that there is a United Nations Security
Council resolution.

However when we come to the negotiating table to
find a solution, that is the time where I
personally feel that each party needs to give up
- you can't hold on to your maximalist position.
Each party - Pakistan, India and the people of
Kashmir. Maximalist positions will have to be a
compromised by all in a spirit of flexibility.
And that is what I meant.

All the groups have to show this spirit of
flexibility. If we keep sticking to our rigid
maximalist positions, then we will never reach a
solution. So this issue of flexibility should be
seen in that context. It cannot be unilateral, it
cannot be one sided. It has to be by all parties
involved.

If the Indian government says that there will be
no change in its policy to Kashmir, will the
peace process break down? Or will you continue
with the confidence building measures?

I am afraid if there is no movement forward on
Kashmir, then there can be no movement on
Confidence Building Measures. There is no doubt
in my mind that the core issue bedevilling
relations between India and Pakistan is the
Kashmir dispute.

But Pakistan is prepared to resolve all disputes
in a sincere and honourable manner. But if this
core issue is not being addressed and if India is
intransigent and they say that is all, we are not
moving forward, and this core issue is out, then
all the issues are out.

Then effectively the peace process is being held hostage to this one issue?

No, it is not a hostage. The peace process is
Kashmir. We are not fighting on the [inaudible]
and Wular dams and Sri Creek.

But in terms of normalisation, easier access,
trade - would you see that going forward?

Where there is hatred, when there is mistrust,
how can we normalise? When you have cultural
activites, these are between countries which have
cemented friendly harmonious relations. How can
you have trade relations, commerce, cultural
activity between countries who are fighting wars
and killing each other daily on the line of
control. Isn't that very unnatural.? How is it
possible?

Some people might say if there was movement on
cultural exchanges, then there would be a better
spirit of goodwill and it might be easier to
resolve the Kashmir issue.

That is putting the cart before the horse.
Anybody who is saying this, is not realistic.

Or they have ulterior motives of shelving the
Kahsmir issue and just going ahead on culture and
trade and commerce. I don't think it is
practical..

After the revelations about Dr AQ Khan last
February, he was put under house arrest, what is
his position at the moment?

He has been pardoned. He is not under house
arrest. But he is in Islamabad in his house. For
his own security he is not moving much at all.
But certainly the family is moving around, the
children are going to school. There is no
restriction on them at all. They can move around
but in their own interests and for their own
security, it is better that they stay in one
place as much as possible.

But he is not permitted to make any statements?

There is already too much confusion. We would not
like to any create more confusion by the media
going in and interacting and then coming up with
all kinds of stories.

There have been reports of his supporters
infiltrating the police and armed forces.

I do not think he is into any extremist gangs. This is absolutely wrong.

Earlier you said that he could 'keep his money'.
Is this still the position or are you making any
effort to remove any funds that he managed to
amass?

We don't know where his funds are.

Are you confident that there are no more leakages from AQ Khan's associates?

Until now whatever we have investigated, we are
reasonably sure that this is it, that we have
extracted all the intelligence from them. I can't
guarantee that something more crops up. And we
will again have to investigate and find out our
involvement.

As far as our nuclear programme is concerned, we
have put the best possible custodial measures
protecting our installations. We have a National
Command Authority, the highest body controlling
our strategic assets, then there is a very well
organised strategic planning division, headed by
a very capable lieutenant-general who is looking
after all our strategic assets.

As far as those assets are concerned, they are
under very strong controls of the armed forces of
Pakistan. Here we have created an Army Air Force
Navy strategic forces command, commanding all
these assets. So I think we are very well
organised.

As far as our strategic organisation is
concerned, the intelligence and security
arrangements have been beefed up, they have been
strengthened. All possible doubtful areas have
been removed. I think we have taken tremendous
action. I am very sure that there cannot be any
proliferation, there cannot be any assets falling
into wrong hands. I am very sure about that.

There have been two serious assassination
attempts on your life recently - if a further
attempt is successful, what measures have you
taken for your successor so that the initiatives
you have taken are carried forward?

No - I haven't taken any political measures, if
you are talking of some kind of succession.

There is a political system in place. The
Assemblies are functioning, the Senate is there.
If I am not there, it is the chairman of the
Senate who is the President of Pakistan until
such time as the Assemblies elect a new
President. The political institutions are in
place to find a new President.

I don't see this an issue of succession, there is
no monarchy going on. There is a parliamentary
democracy in place and through the political and
democratic system, a successor has to be found to
everyone.

Is your alliance with the MMA pushing you in a
direction you would prefer not to go ?

There is a total misperception. There is no
alliance with the MMA. There was an agreement
with the MMA on the Legal Framework Order. We
reached an agreement with them and passed the LFO
in the interests of bringing political stability
with a two-thirds majority.

We could have reached an agreement with the
Peoples Party but somehow they did not come
forward. So we reached an agreement with the MMA
and we put the LFO issue aside. Now they are in
the opposition. The leader of the opposition is
Fazul ur Rehman of the MMA

Do you think you will be able to move forward on women's rights?

I think on women's issues the vast majority in
the assembly will support, I am very confident
that these bills need to be drafted, hadood,
blasphemy, honour killings, all these must be
debated and we must bring in any change which is
required, but without violating the Islamic
tenets, but ensuring that no victimisation is
done against anybody. Whatever elements of these
issues are not in line with Islamic tenets should
be removed or corrected. And we will do it.

Are you intending to honour your pledge to take
off your uniform and step down as COAS ?

I will take a decision when we reach it. I will
cross the bridge when we reach it. Or shall we
put it like this, there is the 17th amendment
which has been passed in which the Legal
Framework Order is a part.

I will adhere to the 17th amendment to the
Constitution of Pakistan. I will adhere to the
Constitution of Pakistan. Having said that, my
word that I gave - that I will remove the
uniform- if the MMA is talking - because they are
talking of the word, of the pledge, that I gave -
they themselves have violated two pledges that
they gave: firstly, to support my vote of
confidence in the Assembly and the second was the
National Security Council Bill, supporting that.

They backed out on both. And so therefore I have
no qualms at all as far as my word to them. They
have broken their word and so I am under no
obligation of pleasing them. So that can be set
aside.

Now the issue that has to be taken into account
is: firstly, sticking to the Constitution, and
secondly, the national interest. Now these are
two issues which I need to consider seriously and
then only will I reach a conclusion.

What about the pledge to the people?

Insofar as the people are considered, I know that
the vast majority of people are alarmed at why
did I give my word. The number of letters,
telephone calls, and the number of people who
have contacted me asking me why did I give my
word to step down. There are a lot of people are
pressurising me not to give my word. It has had
an opposite effect that I should not have given
my word.

When will a decision will be taken - perhaps in August?

I would not be able to comment, obviously it is
closer to December. August is my birthday all
right, but there is no link.

Would you consider stepping as COAS but retaining
your military links by making yourself a Field
Marshal like Ayub Khan?

I have no intention of assuming the office of
Field-Marshal. It would not have a good impact at
all. I do not want to promote myself.

What achievements are you most proud of in the
four/five year period since you took power?

Economic revival, of course. Setting the economy
- bringing health to the economy, that is the
biggest achievement. - all the macro economic
indicators, that is an achievement.

Secondly, I would like to comment on the local
government - that is the greatest achievement I
would like to convey to the Commonwealth, if they
are talking about real democracy, which was not
existing here. We were living in a colonial
period where the people were governed by a Deputy
Commissioner, one man, a bureaucrat, who used to
be king in his district. We have broken that and
made the people govern themselves. Now the DCO
comes under the people's representative who is
the Mayor or Nazem. Now this is our greatest
achievement - introducing democracy at the grass
roots level and empowering the people
politically, administratively, financially.

This is the real development, the real future of
Pakistan. There are also many other issues,
emancipation of women...

Do you feel that Pakistan will be suspended again
from the Commonwealth if you don't step down as
COAS?

It's a pity if they do that. I don't accept any
conditionality. Pakistan does not accept any
conditionality. Pakistan should not be taken for
granted. It is a pity and very saddening very
annoying, when I see my country being taken for
granted and conditions laid on it. This is just
not on.

We will take our decisions in accordance with
Pakistan's dictates and not according to the
Commonwealth's dictates. If they can't understand
what democracy is really in its holistic form,
then they should leave Pakistan alone on deciding
on what is the best form of democracy for us, and
they should not base our inclusion into the
Commonwealth on any future actions of mine.

How successful have you been in eradicating
corruption, as you pledged four years ago?

Corruption has been checked in a very big way at
the top level. The corruption of billions, the
loot and plunder of banks, all banks were
bankrupt, all our organisations, our
corporations, PIA, steel mills were bankrupt
because of the loot and plunder from the top.
That has been stopped. That is our biggest
achivement.

At a practical level, the lower level corruption
continues and that has a lot to do with many
issues, it certainly has a mindset, an attitude
and a social problem. And the government
structure, maybe the salaries are defective. It
is a complex issue which leads to corruption at
the lower level which we need to tackle. We have
identified that the basis of corruption at a
lower level is when a person's salary is not in
consonance with what he needs and not sufficient
to give him security for him and his family and
his future retired life.

We have to make sure that the salary structure
ensures these things. This is the root of the
elimination of poverty and corruption at the
lower level. At a higher level, where there is no
reason for the person to be corrupt because they
already have sufficient resources, punitive
measures, very harsh actions are the only action
because they don't deserve any sympathy.

Are you satisfied with your relationship with the
United States? By your critics you have been
called a puppet of the West.

We are very satisfied with our relationship with
the United States. There is concern domestically
with people thinking that we have become the
puppet of the United States. That is not true at
all. People who do understand do realise that.

Some politicians keep harping on this issue
because they want to put me down on any issue
which can be controversial. So we have got this
issue of my being dictated by the United States,
but we don't get dictated to by anyone. There are
many areas where we have followed a different
line from the United States (for example on
nuclear issues, Iraq, the issue of handling
terrorism in Pakistan, of handling al Qa'eda in
tribal territory ).

We are following what we want, we are handling
these issues in the interest of Pakistan; if our
interests in this issue of handling terrorism is
the same as US interests, then that is perfectly
fine, and that is the case, what is in Pakistan's
interest happens to be in US interest also, then
we are acting in perfect cooperation and
coordination.

Did the US want a more direct presence in tribal territory?

Initally they did. They thought we might not be
able to handle. But that could not be allowed and
we did not allow it

What about reports of American aircraft overflying Pakistani territory?

Unnecessarily they make an issue of these minor
issues. Whenever there is a violation which can
be totally innocent without knowing where the
boundary is, because not everyone knows where the
boundary is.

These are not deliberate violations. They are
unintentional. We launch our complaints and
protests; they normally apologise and say they
will not do it again. So let's not create a
problem out of of a very minor issue.

Dawn [Pakistan]
June 19, 2004

PLURALISM AND QAZI HUSSAIN

By Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy

In summer 2001, while visiting the University of
Maryland, I went to hear Qazi Husain Ahmad, Amir
of the Jamaat-i-Islami, Pakistan lecture at the
Brookings Institute in Washington DC. He spoke on
Islam, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. What I heard
both surprised and impressed me.
Much of what Qazi sahib said was more or less
along the expected lines - Islam being
misunderstood in the West, unfair US embargoes
upon Pakistan after the nuclear tests, the
unwarranted hostility towards the Taliban
(although he disagreed with their rejection of
education of girls), etc. But the rest was
refreshingly new and remarkably enlightened.
In his opening remarks Qazi sahib praised the US
for being a "pluralist" society where he could go
to a mosque and freely proselytize, pointed
proudly to his shalwar-kameez and declared he
could dress as he pleased, and remarked that
those of his family members who had migrated to
the US felt quite at home.
I had never heard him speak publicly in English
earlier, nor had I expected such a sound
appreciation from him of "pluralism" (a word that
he repeated at least twice).
In essence he had anticipated General Musharraf's
celebrated "enlightened moderation" by three
years. His acceptance of the fact that different
groups within a society could accept a plurality
of beliefs and philosophies, and still live in
harmony, was welcomed by all. I left with a new
respect for his values and skills, as did many
others in the audience.
It therefore saddened me to read Qazi sahib's
article in Dawn (June 10, 2004) wherein he
espouses values that stand diametrically opposed
to those he declared at Brookings.
This article apparently negates his former stand
on pluralism and tolerance. Instead, he now
adopts a menacing tone towards Ismailis,
referring to them thrice as a "religious
minority" without conceding that they are a
Muslim sect.
He darkly hints that they may meet the fate of
the Ahmadis in Pakistan, and claims that there
are deep conspiracies to undermine Pakistan by
attempting to change the school curriculum "by
taking over the country's education boards".
It is important to put the record straight on the
education issue, especially since this has become
such an important issue recently. The fact is
that none of Pakistan's 24 examination boards
(referred to as "education boards" by Qazi sahib)
is authorized to change the national curriculum.
The Aga Khan board, if and when it becomes fully
functional, will also fall in the category of the
other boards in this respect and will be required
by law to teach only those materials approved by
the government.
Thus Qazi sahib's claims are unsupportable.
Indeed, by an act of parliament passed in the
mid-1970s, only the Curriculum Wing of the
Ministry of Education can prescribe what can be
taught in Pakistan's schools. The spirit behind
the legislation was to create a Pakistan that
would stay together in spite of its religious,
ethnic, and linguistic diversity.
What happened, tragically, was very different.
Under General Ziaul Haq, with full support from
Islamic parties, ideologically charged
individuals hijacked the Curriculum Wing.
Over the years, they steadily converted Pakistani
schools into zealot factories. Children were
taught that heinous conspiracies explain the
plight of Islam and Pakistan today, told to hate
Hindus and non-Muslims, and have the desperation
of the besieged.
The curriculum required students to "collect
pictures of policemen, soldiers, and National
Guards", explained to them that the exercise of
democracy was why East Pakistan had separated
from West Pakistan, and gave them the notion that
the "Ideology of Pakistan" stood for zero
tolerance of dissent and diversity.
In contrast with the relatively open-minded
education during Pakistan's earlier years,
schools bred ignorance and violence. Militant
jihad became part of the culture on college and
university campuses.
Armed groups flourished, set up offices
throughout the country, collected funds after
Friday prayers, and declared a war without
borders. Over time the Afghan-Soviet jihad
metamorphosed into the Kashmir jihad, from there
to the jihad of Sunnis against Shias and the
jihad of Shias against Sunnis.
Ultimately the sponsors of jihad - the Pakistani
state and the army - fell victim to their own
success. The attempts on the lives of top army
commanders, suicide bombers, the violence in the
Northern Areas over the issue of curriculum, and
the Wana debacle, eventually convinced at least
some people in the establishment that the time
for change has come.
To forestall that possibility, the MMA organized
street rampages to ensure that General Zia's
curriculum would not disappear. Feeling the heat,
General Musharraf's minister of education,
Zubaida Jalal, promptly declared herself a
fundamentalist. Under pressure, the government
has now withdrawn every little piece of
moderation and good sense that had somehow crept
into the curriculum.
Although the MMA leaders are free to declare this
as a minor victory, and a demonstrative example
of how street power can make a weak government
bend, one still hopes that they will look at the
broader interests of the country.
If Qazi sahib thinks that pluralism in the US is
a good thing, then by extension it should also be
a good thing for Pakistan. Teaching hatred and
lies to the nation's children can only result in
its future citizens being embittered,
conspiracy-ridden, fearful, and traumatized.
Although I agree with Qazi sahib's point that
educating Pakistan's children should be our
responsibility rather than that of the West, he
appears rather dismissive about Pakistan's
educational backwardness and the need for
modernization.
The only thing he appears to see is foreign
donors frantically pumping money into the
education sector for their "nefarious" ends.
Whatever one may think of foreign aid, there can
be little progress towards creating a modern
Pakistan without a well-educated, scientifically
literate, and technologically accomplished
populace.
It is impossible to do science with a medieval
mindset, impossible to create functioning
institutions when torn by sectarian conflicts,
and impossible to effectively participate in
today's globalized knowledge-based economy and
culture.
Not surprisingly, democracy steadfastly refuses
to grow roots in Pakistan. The distance between
India and Pakistan - already huge - threatens to
grow even more. Finally, I cannot see why Qazi
sahib chose to bring US foreign policy and Abu
Ghraib into his article.
This is not even a matter of debate - every
person in Pakistan is deeply critical of American
aggression in Iraq and Palestine. For that
matter, the majority of people on this planet
loathe George Bush's mad imperialism. But this
does not mean that they want to opt for religious
tyrannies. Indeed, the people of India booted out
the BJP precisely for this reason.
If Qazi sahib wishes for a prosperous and
peaceful Pakistan - a country to which one's
relatives might wish to immigrate into rather
than emigrate out of - then he, better than
anyone else, knows that pluralism and
multiculturalism has to be the way.
The writer teaches at Quaid-i-Azam University in
Islamabad and is the editor of "Education And The
State - Fifty Years of Pakistan", published by
Oxford University Press in 1997.

The Daily Times
June 20, 2004

Pak-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy: No to guns, yes to roses

Staff Report
LAHORE: Indian and Pakistani peace activists have
demanded both governments promote friendship.
The Asr Resource Centre arranged a reception in
honour of the six-member Indian delegation of the
Pak-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy
(PIPFPD) on Saturday. Tapan Bose, a peace
activist, said, "PIPFPD is striving for the
promotion of friendship between the two
countries." He said the forum would have to work
for the new generation. He said both countries
were spending their finances on defence but not
on health, the education and other social sectors.
"People have been kept in the dark by their
rulers," Mr Bose said. "Please, don't have the
misconception that army generals from both sides
want peace." Peace was a plural process, he
added. Anees Haroon said the Pakistanis had
nothing but flowers for Indians. "Let us enhance
political, economic, trade and friendship
circles," she said, adding the forum would hold a
peace march in Lahore on September 4. "A
candle-light ceremony at the border will be held
on the independence days of both countries," she
said. Similar celebrations would be held on the
Sindh-Rajhistan border. Syed Mazher Hussain, Amit
Kumar Chakraborty, Sumit Chakravartty, Jatin
Desai, Pushpa Anant Bhave, Nighat Said Khan,
Kishwar Naheed and people from Azad Jammu and
Kashmir also addressed the meeting. The meetings
of the PIPFPD joint committees on Kashmir and
minorities would be held today.

o o o

The Daily Times
June 19, 2004

Pak-India Peoples' Forum for Peace and Democracy:
Activists, journalists walk across Wagah

* Pakistan-India peace march on PIPFPD's 10th anniversary in Sept
By Waqar Gillani
LAHORE: Indian human rights' activists and
journalists from the Pak-India Peoples' Forum for
Peace and Democracy (PIPFPD) who crossed the
Wagah border on Friday at noon said Pak-India
relations would be strengthened with increased
public involvement and people-to-people contact.
The five-member delegation from PIPFPD reached
Lahore after crossing the Wagah border on foot.
Dr Mubashir Hasan, Saida Deap, Kamran Islam,
Idrees Sheikh, ASR Resource Centre people and a
number of PIPFPD activists received the
delegation at the Wagah border.
The head of the delegation, noted human rights
activist, Tapan Bose, has already arrived in
Pakistan. The delegates who arrived on Friday are
Syed Mazher Hussain, Amit Kumar Chakraborty,
Sumit Chakravartty, Jatin Desai, and Pushpa Anant
Bhave. Two delegates are expected Saturday
morning. The meetings will be held at Asr
Resource Centre, where the delegates are also
residing.
The delegation is scheduled to attend the
meetings of the PIPFPD joint committees on
Kashmir, minority rights, a proposed peace march
from Karachi to Delhi and a peace convention.
The delegates told Daily Times that they hoped
Pak-India relations would improve even more in
the new Congress regime.
"Manmohan Singh is not political in that sense.
The atmosphere might be more conducive for peace
under the Congress regime," Ms Bhave said. "We
have been striving for peace for the last 10
years on the PIPFPD platform."
Ms Bhave said Kashmir was the major bone of
contention on which both sides would have to
change their attitudes. She also said Kashmir
should not be made a target of external powers
like America.
"We must be especially cautious of America's plan
to split Kashmir because of its strategic
importance," she said. "Also, we should not let a
religious division take place. Kashmiris must
come ahead to decide what must be done."
Journalist and editor of weekly newspaper
Mainstream, Mr Chakravartty said the change in
the Indian government was qualitatively a
different situation. He said Congress and Sonia
Gandhi had taken positive stands on peace process
and that the Indian Foreign Minister, Natwar
Singh, in a recent meeting with Mr Chakravartty
had been very honest about the peace process. "We
have to settle everything including Kashmir,"
said Mr Chakravartty, quoting the foreign
minister.
Mr Chakravartty appreciated President Musharraf's
stance and the invitation extended to Sonia
Gandhi for a meeting in December. He said another
positive development was the strength that the
left wing parties had acquired in this Indian
election.
Mr Desai, another senior journalist and human
rights activist, hoped that the upcoming meetings
of the Pakistani and Indian foreign ministers
would strengthen the peace process. "Relations
are bound to improve with the support of the
people and their aspiration for peace," he said.
He mentioned that the ruling United Progressive
Alliance (UPA) in India had displayed cordial
relations with its neighbours in the Common
Minimum Programme (CMP), specifically with SAARC
countries, which included Pakistan.
"Kashmir is a sentimental issue for both sides,"
Mr Desai said. "Importance should be given to the
Kashmiris and their involvement in the process."
Another delegate and HR activist, Mr Hussain,
however, expressed that the regime change in
India would retard the peace process to some
extent since the governments would take time to
get comfortable with each other.
"The new government will not undermine the peace
process but can definitively delay it," he said.
Mr Hussain said the aim of the meetings in
Pakistan was to enhance people-to-people contact.
"There has to be decision making on the part of
political leadership," said senior office bearer
of the PIPFPD, Mr Chakraborty, who was also
doubtful of the expected progress in peace
relations. He said the governments would have to
be forced into better relations by the public.
Dr Mubashir Hasan also from the PIPFPD told Daily
Times that the forum representatives would
discuss the Kashmir issue, minorities and gender
issues.
"A proposal for a convention and a Pakistan-India
peace march on PIPFPD's 10th anniversary in
September 2004 will also be discussed," said Dr
Hasan. He said different meetings had been
arranged to develop the programme.
Talking about peace relations and the new
Congress regime, he said Pakistan-India peace was
a vital issue for the Pakistani and Indian
governments and new governments could not
undermine major foreign policies of a country
The Asr Resource Centre is hosting a dinner in
the honour of the delegation on Saturday night.

____

[4]

The Daily Star [Bangladesh]
June 20, 2004

AN INTERVIEW WITH NAEEM MOHAIEMEN
'In Rangpur, they kidnapped and tortured 15
Ahmadiyyas, forcing them to do tawba and renounce
Ahmadiyya Islam. What kind of Islam is this?'
Naeem Mohaiemen is the New York-based director of
Muslims or Heretics? a documentary about the
persecution of Ahmadiyya Muslims. He previously
co-produced Rumble in Mumbai, a documentary about
globalization. Muslims or Heretics? screened for
five weeks at different venues in Bangladesh and
is presently screening at festivals in the US.
The Daily Star's Zafar Sobhan recently caught up
with Mr. Mohaiemen to ask him a few questions
about the Ahmadiyya issue.

DS: What was your main intention with the film? What do you hope to accomplish?

NM: The main intention is to build up public
opinion in Bangladesh against the government's
ban on Ahmadiyya books. Our government must come
to its senses and lift the ban. The government
claims they imposed a ban for the sake of "law
and order." Well, law and order has not been
restored by this ban. The anti-Ahmadiyya group
Khatme Nabuwot has actually increased its
campaign since the ban. Now they have given a
June 30 deadline of declaring Ahmadiyyas
non-Muslim. They have also started calling
themselves the "International Khatme Nabuwot"
which makes you wonder who is funding them.

Khatme Nabuwot now has an executive committee
with 33 members, which had pledged to go from
village to village in Bangladesh until all 91
Ahmadiyya mosques are "liberated." In Rangpur,
they kidnapped and tortured 15 Ahmadiyyas,
forcing them to do tawba and renounce Ahmadiyya
Islam. What kind of Islam is this? Did the
Prophet Mohammed (SM) teach us to torture in the
name of Islam? Khatme Nabuwot is perverting the
meaning of Islam and giving a black eye to all
Muslims. The government cannot be a passive
spectator. They must step in and arrest the
zealots of Khatme Nabuwot. And they need to take
quick action to remove the ban.

DS: What sort of responses did you get at the
screenings? Were audience members urging
government action in this matter?

NM: One journalist made an excellent point at a
screening at the Goethe Institute. He said, "Any
time there is any sort of communal trouble, our
liberal Muslim neighbors come forward and say,
'We will protect you.' But why should people need
to protect people? That is the state's role. Only
if the state mechanism is broken does this sort
of 'people protecting people' need to happen." I
agree with that sentiment. The state needs to
play a positive role in safeguarding minorities.
And the state has done that at times. When some
major riots happened in India, the Bangladesh
government played a positive role in making sure
retaliation riots didn't happen here. But the
state has failed in the case of Ahmadiyyas and
given in to the extremists.

When the police and local administration takes
take affirmative steps, such as in Barisal and
Patuakhali recently, they have successfully
stopped persecution of Ahmadiyyas. But for the
most part, the government has not taken any steps
to prevent attacks against Ahmadiyyas, and
certainly they have not reversed the book ban.
The problem is, this coalition government is
beholden to both the Jamaat and the Islami Oikko
Jote. The religious parties have cunningly
decided that this is the issue they want to push.
There are always political points to be scored by
beating up on a minority. In Rangpur, for
instance, the persecution has taken place in a
constituency which is at present controlled by
the Jatiya Party and has been targeted by the
four-party alliance in the next election. The
anti-Ahmadiyya campaign is their first shot at
establishing a presence there with the ultimate
goal of taking the seat.

DS: Recently [US Assistant Secretary of State for
South Asia] Christine Rocca visited Dhaka, and
expressed concerns about the ban on Ahmadiyya
books. What are your feelings about this sort of
visit, especially since you live in the US?

NM: It actually infuriates me that the government
will respond to US officials when they complain
about this issue, yet we Bangladeshi activists
have been protesting about this for over six
months. The government doesn't feel any need to
respond to domestic human rights activists. ASK
and three other organizations filed a "Demand Of
Justice" notice the day after the ban, but the
government has yet to respond to that petition.
Ultimately, Bangladesh's problems have to be
solved by us. You can't solve these problems
through external pressure. Even if external
pressure causes something to happen, it is a
temporary fix. We have to build up the
infrastructure and support for human rights and
tolerance from inside Bangladesh. Also, I don't
want my work co-opted by those who would divide
the world into "us and them." I am fighting
religious extremists, but I don't consider Bush's
"Pax Americana" project to be my ally.

DS: How does the Ahmadiyya issue intersect with
your other work as a political activist?

NM: In the context of the US role in today's
world, I am always interested in making linkages
and parallels with other global situations. One
of the things I have talked about at these film
screenings is my own experience working with
people like Blue Triangle and Not In Our Name in
the US. These groups work to protect the civil
rights of Muslim immigrants. In fact, Muslims are
victims of the same racial profiling that
tormented black Americans for decades. Now, in
the post 9/11 hysteria, Muslims have become the
new disenfranchised minority in America and
Europe. Yet, in our own country where we Muslims
are the majority, we do not hesitate to
disenfranchise our own minorities. So, global
activists cannot condemn only oppression against
Muslim minorities in America. We have to speak
out against oppression being carried out by our
fellow Muslims. Otherwise it's a double standard.

DS: Any theories as to religious political
parties and their sources of strength?

NM: One disturbing trend is that a lot of people
in Bangladesh think the religious parties are the
only ones resisting neo-imperialism. Therefore,
they tolerate and quietly support the religious
parties. I keep hearing how the mosques and
religious parties in Dhaka brought out large
rallies against the Iraq war. In fact, this is
the failure of the Bangladesh left. Why couldn't
they bring out massive rallies against the Iraq
war? Kolkata had a very strong anti-war movement.
They even mobilised a very successful boycott of
American products. But the Kolkata left organized
this, not the religious parties.

In fact, there are many ways to resist
imperialism. In America, some of the strongest
voices against the war have been families of GIs,
Vietnam vets, labor unions, artists, musicians
and black and Latino groups. So I have found
other allies in the fight against imperialism, I
don't feel any need to cozy up to the religious
parties.

Zafar Sobhan is an Assistant Editor of The Daily Star.

The Hindustan Times
June 19, 2004

THE GOVERNMENT MUST SPEEDILY IMPLEMENT THE CMP TO MAKE ITS EMANCIPATORY MARK -
REAP THE HARVEST

BY Praful Bidwai

If markets were everything, flesh-and-blood
people wouldn't matter. Politics, even social
life, would become meaningless. This applies a
fortiori to India's share markets, in which less
than two percent of our households invest,
accounting for just four percent of our savings.
Dalal Street is only distantly related to the
real economy, and even more remotely to the
social processes that shape it.

The United Progressive Alliance would do well to
remember this as it strains to soothe the
part-rigged, part-speculation-led volatility in
the markets. More importantly, it must know its
mandate is to move India from "market-driven
politics" (the title of Colin Leys' excellent
book) to politics as if people mattered. Besides
a resounding rejection of Hindutva, that is the
cardinal message of the electoral verdict. (See
Platform, May 28).

Forging a people-oriented politics against the
forces of neoliberal globalisation, while tapping
energies from diverse sources, including the
market, is an exciting project. The UPA's Common
Minimum Programme encapsulates this in many ways,
although it falls short of defining its
inspiration as an emancipatory Social Democratic
Vision. Yet, that's precisely what the "six
principles for governance" spell, including
social harmony, empowerment of the
underprivileged, a "safe and viable livelihood"
for all, equality of opportunity, especially for
women, Dalits, Adivasis, OBCs and religious
minorities. The CMP marks a considerable
improvement even on the United Front's 1996
common programme.

If successfully implemented, the CMP will ensure
the UPA's survival for the full term. More
important, it will inflict a decisive defeat upon
retrograde forces of communalism and social
conservatism. The first 100 days of the UPA's
rule will set the tone for this transformation
and its imprint upon society and politics. Three
areas of the CMP are of critical importance:
economic measures, social policy, and an
independent foreign policy orientation. The UP
must deliver something tangible in the coming
weeks, not months. What is the very minimum the
government must do?

The greatest economic promise lies in the pledge
of Employment Guarantee Act to provide "100 days
of employment Š on asset-creating public works
programmes every year Š for at least one
able-bodied person in every rural, urban poor and
lower-middle class household"-and "in the
interim, a massive food-for-work programme". The
rationale is frankly Keynesian.

No less important is the commitment to
significantly step up public investment in
agriculture, rural infrastructure and irrigation,
and double the flow of rural credit in the next
three years, with an emphasis on small and
marginal farmers. This must be front-loaded,
through the writing off of burdensome loans, and
pumping-in of massive credit for the coming
kharif season. The enactment of a National
Minimum Wage Act for agricultural workers-our
most underprivileged people-is vital.
Two measures are of key value: correcting fiscal
imbalances and reducing regional disparities. The
first involves eliminating the revenue deficit,
now over 3 percent of GDP, and pruning subsidies
for the affluent. (The CMP promises a "roadmap"
within 90 days.) The second is imperative for
balanced development through stepped-up public
investment in backward areas, enforcing priority
bank lending (now well below stipulated norms),
enhancing minerals royalties, reducing interest
on loans, and transfer of Centrally-sponsored
schemes to the states.

These programmes can be financed-if the UPA
raises direct taxes. These currently account for
an abysmal 3.5 percent of GDP, utterly
unacceptable in our mass-deprivation society. Our
rich have to contribute more than a miserable 1.6
percent of GDP through income-taxation.

Social policy presents a challenging agenda in
health, education, culture, food security,
panchayati raj, welfare of women and children and
Dalits and Adivasis. The CMP's commitment to
raising public spending in health from the
current 0.85 percent to "at least 2-3 percent" of
GDP is long-overdue. It will prevent India's
further slippage into a cesspool of disease,
stunted growth (of half of our children) and
waste of human life. It must be implemented at
the earliest. The government must not hesitate
about widening control of essential drug
prices-no matter what the "markets" say.

The UPA must ruthlessly cleanse all educational
and research institutions of "obscurantist and
fundamentalist elements". This means detoxifying
communalised textbooks and getting them rewritten
by unbiased and thoughtful scholars, dissolving
the existing Councils of Social Science and
Historical Research and reforming the UGC, whose
numerous committees has been saffronised. The
government must not allow itself to be deterred
by semi-literate ranting about "witchhunts". The
real culprits are those who subvert a pluralist
and multicultural vision of India and introduce
outrageous courses in astrology and karmakand. It
is equally vital to revive the National Literacy
Mission.

In culture, a complete overhaul of the Akademis,
the museums, the Archaeological and
Anthropological Survey and the IGNCA is
imperative. The existing bodies must be dissolved
forthwith and incompetent and communal elements
systematically weeded out. Any delay in this and
in purging Doordarshan and AIR of bigotry will
cost us dear. There's no other way to halt and
reverse Hindutva's Long March through the
institutions. No less important is legislation to
ban Togadia-style hate-speech and punish
hate-acts.

Ayodhya presents a big opportunity. The
chargesheets in the litigation must be rectified
to reinstate the conspiracy charge-what else
caused the Babri demolition, prepared over long
years by BJP-VHP leaders? A bold effort must
simultaneously be made to negotiate a just
temple-plus-mosque solution. This must happen
within the coming 60 days. Nothing else will take
the wind out of the communalists' sails. The UPA
would be ill-advised to wait for a judicial
verdict.

Repeal of POTA with retrospective effect brooks
no delay. The UPA has rightly refused to treat
Naxalite violence as "merely a law-and-order
problem", it's "a far deeper socio-economic
issue". This must be translated into practice. As
also the pledge that "false encounters" will not
be permitted.
The test of independence of foreign policy is
already upon us-with the installation of Iraq's
Interim government. This is a puppet regime which
cannot conceivably enjoy "sovereignty" while the
military occupation continues, when it cannot
change any laws or policies of the occupation
regime and has no control over the US-led forces.
It is of the utmost importance that India does
not recognise this government or send troops to
Iraq-irrespective of manipulated UN resolutions.

The UPA has rightly reiterated its commitment to
Palestinian nationhood-in sharp contrast to the
NDA's blatantly pro-Zionist policy. But it must
do more to help the Palestinians in their
grimmest hour since 1967. Today, the threat of
their national territory being broken up into
countless Bantustans looms large. The UPA must
reverse the NDA's attempt to construct an
exclusive strategic triad with Israel and the US,
re-examine weapons-purchase agreements, and cease
intelligence-sharing, joint military exercises
and counter-insurgency "cooperation".

It's only thus that the UPA can actualise its
pledge "to promote multi-polarity in world
relations and oppose Š unilateralism", while
putting relations with Washington on an even
keel. Sustaining the India-Pakistan
dialogue-for-peace process is a major imperative
today. Equally important is reducing the grave
regional nuclear danger through risk-reduction
measures, most importantly, non-deployment of
nuclear weapons. The first step in India's
re-assuming its advocacy of global nuclear
disarmament is to withdraw support to the US's
Ballistic Missile Defence programme and reject
its offers of cooperation.

The UPA has a historic opportunity on its
hands-to transform domestic politics and India's
global role. It must not squander it through
indecision or pusillanimity.

The Hindu [India]
June 19, 2004
Editorial

REDUCE NUCLEAR RISK WITH PAKISTAN

THAT NUCLEAR WEAPONS in the hands of India and Pakistan have made the region
a much more dangerous place is in the nature of an axiom that only advocates
of the discredited doctrine of deterrence will bother to contest. Nuclear
weapons are weapons of mass destruction, instruments of genocide. In India,
democratic opinion has always regarded such weapons with horror. However,
subsequent to the Pokhran and Chagai explosions of mid-1998, there has been
a concerted effort by the so-called strategic affairs community and by
influential sections of the political establishment to legitimise, even
glorify, nuclear weapons as acceptable means of achieving regional and
global power. The sophisms of deterrence theory and false claims made to the
effect that nuclear bombs are political weapons meant not for use but for
self-defence and national empowerment have been recruited to the job of
inuring public opinion to the real implications of producing, stockpiling,
inducting and deploying these weapons of mass destruction. Until Pokhran-II,
official Indian policy ranged itself firmly against the doctrine of nuclear
deterrence. That position was subverted by a bizarre South Asian variant: a
`minimum credible nuclear deterrent' not backed by any coherent doctrinal
elaboration. An extraordinarily hawkish nuclear doctrine was drafted only to
be left on hold; nobody knows what India's nuclear doctrine amounts to in
practice. A fallout from Pokhran was that India's voice was virtually
silenced on issues of global nuclear disarmament. Indeed its establishment
became a late convert to the discriminatory global nuclear bargain, going so
far as to welcome the National Missile Defence and Theatre Missile Defence
proposals of the United States. There was also dubious posturing: India's
nuclear weapons, it was claimed against the evidence, were not
Pakistan-centric.

The new Congress-led Government in New Delhi is yet to indicate its nuclear
doctrine. However, the Common Minimum Programme adopted by the United
Progressive Alliance promises that while "maintaining a credible nuclear
weapons programme," the Government will evolve "demonstrable and verifiable
confidence-building measures with its nuclear neighbours" and, on the
international stage, "assume a leadership role in promoting universal
nuclear disarmament and working for a nuclear weapons-free world." Against
this background, External Affairs Minister Natwar Singh's informal advocacy
of a "common nuclear doctrine" to be worked out among India, Pakistan and
China holds much appeal; so far as the first two neighbours are concerned,
it looks like an idea whose time may have come. The first ever official
meeting between Indian and Pakistani experts to discuss nuclear confidence
building measures, which opens in New Delhi today, provides an opportunity
to identify common ground and work on a practical agenda to reduce nuclear
risk in South Asia. In this connection, an article by M.V. Ramana and R.
Rajaraman, both physicists, published on the editorial page of The Hindu
(June 4, 2004) made two eminently sensible recommendations that "do not
compromise national security in any real sense." The first is that the
Indian Government should offer not to deploy nuclear weapons. The second is
that it should stop installing early warning systems that clearly, in the
specific South Asian context where the response time is dangerously short,
increase the risk of accidental or unauthorised nuclear war. These two
positive elements could constitute the basis of a common nuclear doctrine
with Pakistan - and prove far more credible, as confidence building
measures, than repetitions of the `no-first-use' mantra that has virtually
no practical value. But a red herring must be got out of the way: the quest
for some kind of nuclear parity with China, which is in a different league
and poses no strategic threat of any kind - any more than nuclear weapons in
the hands of the United States, the United Kingdom, France or Russia
threaten India.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
The complete SACW archive is available at:
bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative, provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW:  snipurl.com/sacip
See also associated site: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org