SACW | 4 April 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Apr 3 19:30:04 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  4 April,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan: Storming the textbooks (Abbas Rashid)
[2] India: Our Forgettable Forefathers  (Githa Hariharan)
[3] India: Maharashtra's Dalit's . . . signing up
for 'Akhand Bharat' (Ranjit Hoskote)
[4] India: Urgent action to protect life of
Malayalam writer and eminent rationalist leader
Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam in Kerala

--------------

[1]

The Daily Times [Pakistan]
April 03, 2004

Storming the textbooks
by Abbas Rashid

There is little doubt that our curricula and
textbooks have helped to create a mindset that is
a part of the problem rather than a part of the
solution. Our schools and universities should be
a defence against dissension within, and not
locations where our children learn to internalise
a discriminatory framework
The controversy generated by the SDPI report, The
Subtle Subversion, on curricula and state of
textbooks in Pakistan is not entirely unexpected.
It is par for the course when it comes to almost
any attempt at reforming Pakistan's education
system that resembles nothing as much as complete
shambles at this stage.
One could differ on the details, but it is
difficult to argue with the essential thrust of
the report regarding the need to provide material
to children that promotes tolerance, harmony and
peace rather than hate, militarism and
exclusivity. The report highlights historical
distortions contained in textbooks, the systemic
flaws in the procedures and structures governing
their production and the manner in which they
reinforce negative stereotypes rather than
encouraging critical thinking.
They are unimaginatively written and the content
is presented in ways that is not easily
intelligible to children - in short they are
glaring examples of poor workmanship. And yes, as
the report emphasises, our textbooks are often
entirely insensitive to the fact that citizens of
Pakistan subscribing to faiths other than Islam
have a right to be represented in our texts so
that their children in schools are not made to
feel as if they are strangers in their own land
even if they are a minority.
The compilers of the report, A H Nayyar and Ahmed
Salim, have built on, and credited, the work of
other scholars such as the eminent historian K K
Aziz. Of course Dr Nayyar himself wrote on the
subject as far back as 1985 in a book published
by the Zed Press.
Anyhow, as is often the case when such issues are
raised in Pakistan, the debate over the report
has been deftly narrowed by the detractors to a
contest over who is the better Muslim and who the
greater patriot. So, it should come as no great
surprise that instead of debating the pros and
cons of the report in academic terms while
conceding the obvious need for much better
textbooks, the issue has been turned into a
battle for safeguarding Islam and the ideology of
Pakistan.
In the haze that has come to surround the
controversy over the report it is useful to
remind ourselves that the argument is not about
excluding religion from the curriculum but for
providing a balanced perspective. The Munir
Report based on the enquiry into the anti-Ahmadi
riots of 1953, brilliantly analysed the
phenomenon of the instrumentalist use of Islam by
vested interests for self-serving and political
ends. More than half a century later the practice
continues unabated. The SDPI report's suggestions
have been termed by some critics as being
pro-India and anti-Pakistan.
Sustainable peace does require that we take a
more balanced view of our neighbours and review
the element of demonising the people, rather than
criticising the governments, that has become part
of our textbooks. Indeed, many in India too
continue to protest vociferously against the
saffronisation of texts under the BJP government.
But, as in their case, so in ours, encouraging
intolerance and exclusion has far more profound
implications for the kind of society that we
create for ourselves than the admittedly
important issue of our relationship with key
neighbours.
There are all kinds of reasons why sectarianism
and an extremist ethos has developed in Pakistan
over recent years. But, there is little doubt
that our curricula and textbooks have helped to
create a mindset that is a part of the problem
rather than a part of the solution. Our schools
and universities should be a defence against
dissension within, and not locations where our
children learn to internalise a discriminatory
framework that encourages them to relegate
minorities to the category of second-class
citizens, denotes women as inferior beings or
treats a growing number of sects even among
Muslims as being outside the pale of Islam.
Clearly, this serves neither Islam nor, by any
stretch of imagination, does it make Pakistan
stronger.
Those opposing change, whether in textbooks or
otherwise, have picked on the US government's
focus on madrassa education in Pakistan. Clearly,
reform is needed here as elsewhere but the reason
is that it is our society that cannot afford
further fracturing and not because premium is to
be placed on some US agenda. Nevertheless, the
connection has been made and will be exploited by
lobbies determined to block change. The momentum
is already being built up against what appears to
be the next major target in the area of education
reform i.e., The Aga Khan University Examination
Board.
An alliance called the 'Tuhaffaz-Taleemi Nisab
Mahaz' (Preservation of the Educational
Curriculum Front) while declaring its intent to
launch a movement against any change in the
curriculum also charged that the AKU Board was
part of the US-led conspiracy to change the
curriculum. Again, whatever support the Aga Khan
University gets from various sources for this
effort, a few facts need to be kept in mind. The
University has over the years managed to
establish a medical college and hospital, a
school for nursing and an institute for
educational development. Their high standards are
recognised both at home and abroad. It serves
crucially to provide an option for quality
education within Pakistan along with a handful of
other institutions such as the Lahore University
of Management Sciences or the Quaid-e-Azam
University.
More such institutions are badly needed for
obviously the alternative of getting a good
education abroad is open only to a miniscule
minority in Pakistan. Similarly, only a very
small number of our students can afford to sit
for examinations conducted by foreign
institutions such as the Oxford and Cambridge
Examination Board. It is crucial, therefore, that
an Examination Board set up by a credible and
internationally recognised institution such as
the AKU emerge as an alternative within Pakistan
for our schools to associate with. This will
enable a far larger number of our students to get
an education that is worthwhile and certification
that is widely recognised. In any case,
association with the AKU Board is voluntary and
schools that do not want to join have absolutely
no need to do so.
In the education sector, reform is crucially
needed in the areas of teacher education and
training, textbooks and examinations. Reform is a
process and even in the best of educational
systems its specifics can and should be
continually discussed, debated and refined.
Insistence on preserving without change an
education system that has all but collapsed is
hardly a serious option for us.
Abbas Rashid is a freelance journalist and
political analyst whose career has included
editorial positions in various Pakistani
newspapers

The Telegraph [India]
April 04, 2004

OUR FORGETTABLE FOREFATHERS
- It is up to us to unlearn Golwalkar's lessons
by Githa Hariharan

[PHOTO: RSS rally in which Golwalkar presided (Calcutta, 1972) ]

We can't help having the ancestors we have. But
there is one good thing about growing up. We can
use our judgment. We can make up our own minds
about those stern black-and-white photographs
lining our walls like a hallowed pantheon. We can
use our adult sense of good and bad, right and
wrong, to decide which of these worthies are
significant for us in one way or the other.
Several can be safely forgotten as
inconsequential or irrelevant. More important is
the shortlist of forefathers (and foremothers) we
need to remember. Of these, some are memorable
because their lives, though lived in the past,
light our way in the present. Others we must
never forget precisely because they were, and
continue to be, a malignant influence. Dangerous,
even in the form of their legacies.

As with our individual families, so with the
nation's extended family. Our India, like any of
our little families, has its share of shining and
not-so-shining ancestors. Both sets have
descendants who keep them alive, suitably framed,
garlanded and quoted. Learning from icons - the
little family's or the big family's - is not such
a bad thing. But not all of them taught the right
lessons. Some ancestors, and their legacies, can
help us only if we unlearn their beliefs and
ideas.

Consider just one of these gurujis from our
nation's past, a man whose ideas inspire so many
today: Madhav Sadhashiv Golwalkar. I recently
came across a tattered, heavily underlined copy
of Golwalkar's book, We or Our Nationhood
Defined, which was first published in 1939. The
cover of the book was torn, and the photograph on
the frontispiece looked up at me intently.

It's a remarkable photograph. Like all those
solemn old black-and-white studio photographs,
this one too has a relentless head-on, frontal
view. The posture is stiff, the eyes unsmiling.
They seem to invite the beholder into the
mysterious soul of the photographed man. The
long, curly hair has been tamed and neatly
combed. The dark moustache and beard are trimmed.
The "costume" has been chosen with care for the
image that will be handed down to posterity. The
dark jacket with the emerging ruffled white
collar, and the short pointed beard gives the
young Golwalkar the look of a pirate who takes
himself seriously.

I assume that this photograph was taken well
after Golwalkar had finished his science course
in the Hindu University in Varanasi and got his
degree in law. He must have already been a
professor of zoology, the professor who chose to
work for the "Hindu cause" under Madan Mohan
Malviya's influence, and which choice had
crystallized under the influence of the
"magnetic" Keshav Baliram Hedgewar.

Golwalkar subsequently became the second
sar-sanghachalak of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak
Sangh, and steered the organization for the 33
years between 1940 and 1973. Under his
leadership, the RSS grew. With Golwalkar's ideas
on Hindu rashtra, his years as the helmsman of
the RSS widened and strengthened the ideological
basis of the Sangh, and saw the resurgence of the
"Hindu movement". A number of RSS affiliates,
such as the Vidyarthi Parishad, the Bharatiya
Mazdoor Sangh, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the
Bharatiya Vanavasi Kalyan Ashram, came into
existence.

Golwalkar has been described in numerous ways by
some of his admiring descendants, our
contemporaries. He is the "saviour of Hinduism",
a "crusader for a strong and united India", a
"staunch nationalist", and a guru who instilled
patriotism in millions of youth, making them
"effective instruments for the worship of Bharat
Mata as her worthy children." (Also, his face was
"luminous with innate intellect and learning". He
played only "Indian games such as kusti". He
hated cricket.)

Golwalkar is revered as a crusader for a strong
India. I don't think any of us could have any
objections to a strong India. But that word
"strong" is the problem. Does Golwalkar's idea of
a strong nation leave anything behind of India at
all? To live the life of a nation, says
Golwalkar, five factors - geographical, racial,
religious, cultural and linguistic - must become
one "indissoluble" whole. For him, every action,
whether individual, social or political, is the
result of a religious command; it is not possible
to "complete" the idea of a nation without one
national religion or one national culture.

Perhaps the picture of Golwalkar is best brought
to life through his own uncompromising words.
Take, for example, these words from the
science-teaching nationalist in We or Our
Nationhood Defined: "To keep up the purity of the
Race and its culture, Germany shocked the world
by her purging the country of the semitic Races -
the Jews. Race pride at its highest has been
manifested here. Germany has also shown how well
nigh impossible it is for Races and cultures,
having differences going to the root, to be
assimilated into one united whole, a good lesson
for us in Hindusthan to learn and profit by."

This means that our Habib Tanveers and Husains
and Shabana Azmis and the millions of less-known
others with "foreign" names belong to another
culture, even another race. They will never be
"assimilated" by "Hindusthan" although they know
no world but India as we live it. "So long as
they maintain their racial, religious and
cultural differences, they cannot but be only
foreigners, who may be either friendly or
inimical to the Nation." In other words, these
"foreigners" are enemies till proven innocent by
a jury made up of Golwalkar's descendants.

Like so many of us, Golwalkar too was anxious to
address the heterogeneous nature of Indian life.
Except that his view of this enthralling,
bewildering heterogeneity is a simple,
straightforward "Muslim problem". "From this
standpoint," he writes, "sanctioned by the
experience of shrewd old nations, the foreign
races in Hindusthan must either adopt the Hindu
culture and language, must learn to respect and
hold in reverence Hindu religion, must entertain
no idea but those of the glorification of the
Hindu race and culture, i.e. of the Hindu nation
and must lose their separate existence to merge
in the Hindu race, or may stay in the country,
wholly subordinated to the Hindu Nation, claiming
nothing, deserving no privileges, far less any
preferential treatment - not even citizen's
rights."

Just over two years back, India - and Indians -
were set ablaze. Those stories, so many that they
make up a long and indelible roll-call of horror,
have not found their place in election
advertisements. These stories - murder, rape and
looting in times of war, and fear, discrimination
and ghetto-building in times of peace - are,
alas, true stories, unlike some manufactured in
an imaginative ad agency. Stories we need to
remember and respond to, however painful they
are, for one important reason. They happened in
the same India that has now suddenly been blessed
with roads, farmers' credit cards, and the gloss
of PR packaging.

Guruji's lessons have been learnt well by those
who are now at the gates. Perhaps these
barbarians at the gate are "proud of being born
in the great lineage of rishis and yogis", just
as Guruji would have liked. It's up to the rest
of us to dismantle Guruji's legacy of
nation-breaking lessons.

The Hindu
Sunday, April 04, 2004
Opinion - News Analysis

THE DALITS' DILEMMA

The coming elections have highlighted the threats
to the autonomy of Maharashtra's Dalit community.
Ranjit Hoskote discusses the issues involved.

THE MANIFESTOES of political formations make for
sombre reading, once history has bypassed their
rhetoric and overturned the ideals they enshrine.
"Who are our enemies," asked the Dalit Panthers
of Mumbai in what must now, perhaps, be described
as their vision statement of 1972. Their answer
was ready at hand: "Power, wealth, price.
Landlords, capitalists, moneylenders and their
lackeys. Those parties who indulge in religious
or casteist politics and the government which
depends on them..."

To many observers on the Left, in that period of
naxalite unrest with the New Left upsurge in
Europe and the United States still fresh in mind,
the Panthers were the great new hope for a better
India. They embodied a revolution that would
confront the interwoven strands of class and
caste, that would unmask oppression at the level
of materiality as well as culture, translating
into political action the teachings, variously
imbibed, of the Buddha, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, Marx
and Mao.

As legatees of the Black Panthers and the
naxalites, the Dalit Panthers sparked off a great
pan-Indian wave of awakening in which, as Gail
Omvedt points out, the downtrodden and the
proletarian identities became conjoined as a
potent source of resistance.

This wave, which began in the working-class
districts of Mumbai, may be said to have peaked
in northern India with Kanshi Ram's formation, in
1980, of the Bahujan Samaj Party.

If the tone of defiance in the 1972 manifesto
falls so oddly on the ear today, it is because so
many of the organisation's founder-members have
abdicated their radical inspiration. They have
gravitated rightwards towards the same parties
whose religious and casteist approach they once
denounced. The tiger, the Shiv Sena's emblem,
appears to be a more persuasive beast than the
panther: the same voices that demanded the
transformation of India into `Dalitistan' in the
1980s have now signed up with the forces of
Akhand Bharat (composite India).

It would be far too facile to ascribe this
ideological shift to political opportunism alone.
Rather, it may be more constructive to examine
the issues at stake in the context of an evolving
Dalit post-modernity in which the certitudes of
the Marxist-existentialist tradition that gave
birth to the Dalit Panthers have all been
demolished. The rightward shift of the Panthers
may well incarnate a tough realism. This would,
of course, bring little comfort to those who
believe that, because Left-liberal forces have
treated the Dalits as a showpiece of progressive
politics, the Dalits must return the compliment
by playing showpiece forever. For the Panthers,
who are intellectuals, writers and academics,
reflect the turmoil in Maharashtra's Dalit
community, which finds itself cheated of the
benefits of six decades of development, bereft of
effective leaders, and deployed as a vote bank in
the demographic warfare that has been dignified
with the title of the electoral process. Although
precise figures are difficult to come by,
observers have recently expressed dismay that
significant numbers of Dalits in Maharashtra,
mainly neo-Buddhists belonging to the formerly
untouchable Mahar community, are prepared to try
out the Shiv Sena.

The social and economic transformations of the
1990s could scarcely have thrown up a different
result. All through that momentous decade of
globalisation, during which the protected market
was opened up to trans-national players, private
enterprise promoted while public spending was cut
back, and the sunrise sectors of software,
finance and banking shone while the old textile
industry faded away, Dalits in Maharashtra
watched as other classes and communities
benefited from this wave of progress. In Mumbai,
where the Dalits have long been associated with
the textile industry, the contrast between the
old and new has been most poignantly sharp:
towers of affluence have soared above the ruins
of Mumbai's old mill-lands, and industrial
localities have been transformed into developers'
paradise-islands. Thus the younger generation of
Dalits has had to make a choice between an
established but discredited leadership from
within the community, and an emergent, apparently
successful leadership - which happens to be
provided by the traditional enemy, Shiv Sena,
which has called for a strong coalition with the
Dalits.

The cynical interpretation of the Sena's sudden
love for the Dalits is that it is looking for a
fresh base from which to recruit storm troopers
for its periodic displays of might. The more
charitable reading is that the Sena may be
undergoing a gradual makeover. If Uddhav
Thackeray's careful exploration of the landscape
of electoral possibilities is any index, the Sena
may, over the next decade, renounce the maverick
and incendiary approach perfected by its founder,
Bal Thackeray. In that case, it would have to
adopt the more careful, consolidationist methods
of a normal political party. As such, it has
already begun to present itself as a
constructive, ecumenical platform that wishes to
expand far beyond its strongholds in Mumbai and
coastal Maharashtra. In attempting to build
itself such a broad base in the State, the Sena
has been courting the influential Maratha
community, while also strengthening its presence
among the Kunbis and the Other Backward Castes
(OBCs). Its appeal to Dalits is the next logical
move in mobilising a new regional entity that
transcends the conventional divides of caste and
caste-based interest.

The casualty, in this narrative, is the hope of
an autonomous Dalit stance, a Dalit future
different from those composed by the social
scriptwriters of the Congress-Nationalist
Congress Party and the Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata
Party alliances, and the caste-class alignments
they embody. This predicament may be traced, in
turn, to three signal failures. First, it can be
argued that the Dalit Panthers never outgrew
their fascination with a Fanonist politics of
redemption by violence; if the CPI (M-L) served
as their guiding light in the 1970s, the Sena
provided the updated model for the 1990s, even if
the caste-class narrative of revolution had to be
replaced by a regional-linguistic one. Secondly,
the post-Ambedkarite Republican Party of India
(RPI) leadership utterly failed to execute Dr.
Ambedkar's dream of a resistance alliance that
would not remain confined to a specific caste,
but which would embrace dissent and dissidence
across sectarian lines.

Thirdly, and this is the most delicate yet vital
issue, the Ambedkarite revolution has remained
unfinished precisely because it has neglected its
founder's culminating project: the re-invention
of the Dalit identity as a Buddhist identity, the
charging of resistance with the ethical and
spiritual energies of meditation, self-discipline
and a symbolic imagination that proposes an
alternative to prevailing orthodoxy. As Buddhist
practitioners linked to the Dalit community
admit, Dalit Buddhism has suffered the same fate
as many other revolutionary social experiments
that struggle to articulate themselves in a world
dominated by the forces they oppose. The
pressures on Dalit Buddhism are enormous, since
it operates in conditions of lack and resentment,
with models of violent self-assertion ready to
hand. In consequence, Buddhism has become a
symbol of difference rather than a significantly
different ground of being and action, among the
majority of Maharashtra's Dalits. The danger with
symbols is that they can easily be appropriated,
as the machine of Hindutva has demonstrated by
absorbing Dr. Ambedkar into its hall of glory.

The autonomy of Maharashtra's Dalit community may
depend crucially on their re-reading of his
revolutionary teachings, rather than a token
profession of reverence for his aura.

Urgent action to protect life of Malayalam writer
and eminent rationalist leader Mr. Sreeni
Pattathanam in Kerala

PEOPLES UNION FOR CIVIL LIBERTIES
KERALA STATE COMMITTEE
GANDHI BHAVAN, KACHERIPADY, BANERJI ROAD, KOCHI 682
018, KERALA

PRESIDENT: Adv:P.A.Pauran: GENERAL SECRETARY:
Vilayody Venugopal
TREASURER: Jacob V. Lazer

URGENT ACTION
MOVE EARTH AND HEAVEN TO PROTECT THE LIFE OF
SREENI PATTATHANAM - An Appeal

A National Defense Committee (NDC) was formed by PUCL,
Kerala to further the actions against the Kerala
Government's inhuman Order against the Malayalam
writer and eminent rationalist leader Mr. Sreeni
Pattathanam. Following the NDC, the Peoples Union for
Civil Liberties (PUCL) State Committee has passed a
resolution to support the writer Mr. Pattathanam. It
appeals before every human rights activist and
like-minded people to help this cause in whatever way
they can. What follows is a short account of the
controversial issue, which led the author Sreeni
Pattathanam to become the prey of religious fanatics.

About the author
Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam is a Malayalam writer who has
ten books and many investigative reports to his
credit. He was born in Kollam, Kerala State. He began
his career in Police Department, which helped him to
find the unjustifiable alliance between the State and
Religion. Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam was instrumental,
among others, several years ago in exposing the
'miracle' of the divine Makarajyoti light, which
appears during the annual Ayyappa pilgrimage in Kerala
on a remote hill. Having resigned from the Police
service Mr. Pattathanam joined as a teacher in a
Government school.

The investigative mind of a police officer and the
analytical mind of a school teacher gave Mr.
Pattathanam a charming presentation of his topic which
reflected in his writings as well. He traveled a lot
in the nook and corner of Kerala.

He had been the Editor of 'Ranarekha', rationalist
monthly, published in Malayalam. He was also the State
General Secretary of Indian Rationalist Association
(IRA) of which Mr. Sanal Edamaruku as its National
General Secretary. Currently he is the Chief Editor of
'Yukthirajyam', Malayalam rationalist monthly; and,
the General Secretary of Bharatiya Rationalist
Association.

About the controversial book
Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam has written a book Matha
Amritanandamayi: Divya Kathakalum Yatharthyavum (Matha
Amritanandamayi: Sacred Stories and Realities, Mass
Publicationas, Kollam, Kerala, revised edn.) that
becomes the controversial one in Malayalam language.
It was first published in 1985, since this godwoman
was not as famous as she is today. For the book there
was no demand from the Math to prosecute the author.
But later, when the lady became an incarnation of the
Lord Krishna himself, they could persuade the
government to move against the author.

Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam's efforts to bring to light
facts are pioneering. His main contentions are: the
Math's claims to miracles are bogus, and that there
have been many suspicious deaths in and around her
ashram, which need police investigation. The research
work contains elaborate references to court records,
newspaper reports and quotations from well-known
literary figures, including statements from the Math's
close relatives, as well as an interview with Matha
Amritanandamayi herself.

About Matha Amritanandamayi Devi
Matha Amritanandamayi Devi ( Sudhamani, born in 1953
in the district Kollam, Kerala State, India) is known
to the world as the "hugging mother". She was also the
subject of a televison documentary in the 'Weird
Weekends' series on BBC TV, presented by Louis
Theroux. She hugs people and passes on to them
'energy'. Reportedly she has hugged and healed some 20
million people all over the world as part of her
mission. On Fridays she acts as the goddess Kali, and
on many occasions she has claimed to be Lord Krishna
himself.

Like god man Satya Sai Baba, she too has many
devotees: BJP leaders like Prime Minister of India
A.B. Vajpayee, Home Minister of India L.K. Advani, and
also Congress Party Chief Minister (of Kerala) A.K.
Antony are amongst them.

Home Ministry records of the Government of India show
that the Matha Amritanadamayi Mission is the second
largest recipient in India of foreign funds - in
1998-99 alone Rs. 51.55 crores were received (about
515 million Indian Rupees or about 11.5 million US
Dollars). Educational institutions established by this
primary school drop out enjoy Deemed University
status; Penguin India published her authorized
biography (Amma, a Living Saint by Judith Cornell)
where her miracles and her boundless love are
highlighted, and the train Amrita Express (Palghat
Town- Thiruvananthapuram) is named after her.
Her devotees have celebrated Matha Amritanadamayi's
50th birth anniversary at Kochi. The five day long (in
2003) ceremony was in fact a festival in which all the
pompousness and luxurious attitude of the ashram was
reflected. It is said that 191 delegates from the UN
member countries were participated in the anniversary
festival. The President of India Dr. A.P.J. Abdul
Kalam himself inaugurated this!

The whole Eastern Religion and Philosophy especially
Vedanta declare that there is no birth and death and
man is an immortal being. Mata Amritanadamayi is
claimed to follow the Vedanta philosophy. But instead
of showing reluctance to the concepts of birth and
death she has celebrated her 50th birthday! What is
the point in a particular number? Has the number 50
got any divine significance? In fact the hidden truth
is that the devotees have made use of Amma's birthday
for popularizing the ashram and its multifaceted
business ideals. PUCL State Committee strongly
believes that in and around the ashram many corporate
brains are being worked and the ashram itself is a
multinational corporate company.

Origin of the complaint
Let us now come to the complaint made by Adv. T.K.
Ajan, secretary, Amrita Apartments Residence
Association, of the ashram, Kollam, Kerala, for a
permission to prosecute Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam, the
author of the book as well as the publisher and
printer, under section 295-A of IPC, 292 of IPC, 196
of Cr PC with section 34 of IPC. The first
petition was filed before the The Principal Secretary,
Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of Kerala
Government's Position

Instead of investigating the allegations and examining
the evidence produced in the book, the state
government - headed by the Mata's ardent devotee the
Chief minister A.K. Antony - initiated moves to
prosecute Mr Pattathanam for making 'objectionable
references' to the spiritual leader, and for 'hurting
the religious sentiments of her devotees'. With great
alacrity, the state government moved swiftly, and the
police inspector of Karunagappally recorded statements
from Sreeni Pattathanam as well as the publisher and
printer. The relevant law going to be applied would be
Section 295-A, which criminalizes 'insulting or
attempting to insult the religion or religious beliefs
of any class of citizens with an intention of
outraging its religious feelings'.

Rising to the occasion, a group of writers and social
activists headed by
eminent Malayalam author Paul Zacharia and Human
Rights activist Mr. Mukundan C. Menon issued a
statement condemning the vindictive nature of the
government's moves. "Since certain ruling politicians,
both at the federal and state governments, are known
devotees of the Mata, we have reasons to suspect that
there is a sinister and malicious conspiracy behind
the move to prosecute Mr Sreeni Pattathanam".
Because of the ensuing international attention, the
government relented and halted its steps to facilitate
the prosecution of the author. However, the Mata's
devotees against those who came to Sreeni
Pattathanam's defense launched a relentless
internet-based campaign.

High court's intervention
Mr. T.K. Ajan has then filed another petition before
the High Court of Kerala. Thus the government has
reopened the issue and the State Home Secretary has
summoned Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam to present himself
before him on 18th March 2003 for hearing.
After this questioning, the government of Kerala has
sanctioned Adv. T.K. Ajan to prosecute Mr. Sreeni
Pattathanam, the author of the book Matha
Amritanandamayi: Divya Kathakalum Yatharthyavum as
well as the publisher and printer. (The government
Order is attached herewith).

The question of human rights and the writer's freedom
of expression
It was pointed out by the Supreme Court of India in
L.I.C. of India v Prof. Manubhai D. Shah (AIR 1993 SC
171: 1992 (3) SCC 637: 1992(4) JT (sc) 181), that
freedom of speech and _expression is a natural right
which a human being acquires on birth and, therefore,
it is a basic human right. This human right has been
admired as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
(1948). UN Human Declarations have to be respected by
all the signatory States, which India is.
In the Preamble of the Constitution of India, the
people of India declared their solemn resolve to
secure to all its citizen liberty of thought and
_expression. This resolve is reflected in Article
19(1) (a) of the Constitution, which guarantees the
fundamental right to freedom of speech and _expression
to all citizens.

Indian Constitution affirms the right of freedom of
expression, which includes:

1.	Right to voice one's opinion.
2.	Right to seek information and ideas.
3.	Right to receive information.
4.	Right to impart information.

An Indian State is under an obligation to create
conditions in which all the citizens can effectively
and efficiently enjoy the aforesaid rights. What Mr.
Sreeni Pattathanam has done is that he only made use
the Constitutional rights stated above. Mr.
Pattathanam says: "I believe that I worked in
accordance with the Indian ConstitutionŠthey are
trying to deny my constitutional rights."
In Romesh Thappar v State of Madras (AIR 1950 SC 124:
1950 SCR 594:1950 SCJ 418: 1950 Cri LJ 1514), the
Supreme Court of India held that the freedom of speech
and _expression includes freedom of propagation of
ideas and this freedom is ensued by the freedom of
circulation.

Taking into consideration the above cases PUCL State
Committee has passed a resolution in which it has
criticized the government Order against the writer and
reiterated the fact that by issuing this Order the
government has violated the above two Orders of the
Supreme Court of India.

India's first blasphemy protection was happened in
1933 when Dr. D' Avoine, the President of the
Rationalist Association of India (RAI) from 1938 to
1944, published an article entitled, "Religion and
Morality" in the September 1933 issue of "Reason", the
official journal of RAI at that period. The Bombay
Police confiscated all the copies of "Reason" and
later arrested Dr. D'Avoine and charged under IPC295A.
On 5th March 1934 Sir H.P. Dastur, the Chief
Presidency Magistrate of Bombay, dismissed the case by
saying that "The accused may be wrongŠBut the article
merely represents the writer's view."

Religion or charitable trust?
In the complaint of Adv. T.K. Ajan, dated 23/05/2002,
it is emphatically stated that Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam
should be punished because of his "deliberate and
malicious intention to outrage the religion and
religious feelings of the devotees of Amma" (Complaint
no.5&7). He also says that Mata Amritanandamayi Math
Amritapuri is a place of worship of the devotees of
Amma who is their religious Guru (Complaint no.3).
But there is no mention in the complaint about the
nature and content of this 'religion'. There are many
religions in the world like Christianity, Judaism,
Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and
Zoroastrianism.

Barring Hinduism each religion has its
own founder. However, all religions have their own
particular rituals, ceremonials, principles, and
sacred books. Hinduism is a group of religious sects
each of which commonly accepts the Upanishads and the
Bhagavad Gita as scriptures. Since all these are the
known facts, the plaintiff should have stated in his
complaint the name, nature, and content of his
religion. He has not pointed out any 'ism' in
connection with 'Amma's' name. If it is a religion
what is its religious book or books? What are their
religious principles?

If he says that it is Hinduism, which is 'Amma's'
religion he should not forget the truth that Hinduism
is as old as the Rig Vedic period. Besides this, each
Hindu religious sect has its own religious ideals,
which may contradict with other sects of the same
religion. All these show that criticism is not foreign
to Hinduism. The Hindu religious philosophers like
Sankara, Ramanuja, and Madhva had developed criticism
among them. But they had not prosecuted their
opponents nor had they demanded prosecution from the
political authority. Instead, they allowed a
discussion among themselves. But Mr. Sreeni
Pattathanam is being crucified by the demands of this
so-called religion and its followers.

The certificate issued by Collectorate, Kollam,
certified that "the organization/institution namely
'Mata Amritanandamayi Math' (Register No.
IV.9/1988(KL/KPY), Amritapuri (P.O.) Kollam District),
Kerala - 690525 is a charitable and non-profit making
organization in India working in the field of
Health/Social welfare/Education/Rural development as a
non-sectarian basisŠ" In the complaint the plaintiff
himself has given a list of charitable activities
managed by the Math.

Nowhere in the certificate is it mentioned that the
Math is a religious institution or a religion. It is
not a religion but an "organization in India working
in the field of Health/Social welfare/Education/Rural
development."

The government of India has never accepted this Math
as a religion.

The aforesaid reasons point to the fact that the
allegation of the plaintiff in the complaint that Mr.
Sreeni Pattathanam's book is written with "deliberate
and malicious intention to outrage the religious
feelings of the devotees of Amma" is obviously
inconsistent, illogical, and hence illegitimate.
Since the Math is not a religion Mr. Sreeni
Pattathanam has not committed any offence that comes
under the section 295-A and 292 of IPC. Rather by
demanding from the authority for the prosecution of
the author the plaintiff Adv. T.K. Ajan insulted the
sincerity and investigative mind of an author,
because, in the complaint (no.6) it is said that
"Through the selling of the book the said Sreeni
Pattathanam gain money illegally and also gain
publicity illegally." But publishing and selling books
is not considered as illegal in India or anywhere in
the world. Neither is it illegal to gain publicity
thereby. Hence the contentions and the arguments of
the plaintiff are weak and not legitimate.

The PUCL State Committee expressed its grief in the
growing intolerance of the fanatics. It affirms that
we can expect tolerance, love, and compassion only
from a civilized people.

International Humanist and Ethical Union's
intervention
International Humanist and Ethical Union became aware
of the prosecution proceedings from the very
beginning. Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam as well as Mr. C.I.
Oommen, the President of Bharatiya Rationalist
Association, met with IHEU leaders in January 2003 and
in a video taped interview with IHEU Executive
Director Babu Gogineni they told about their fears
that in view of the prevailing campaign against
rationalists, and the rise of Hindu fundamentalism,
the danger for them was still not over, and that
efforts to prosecute would be restarted. Mr.
Pattathanam could be arrested and even tortured.
Custodial deaths are not uncommon in Kerala, they
reminded the free thinkers. Mr. Pattathanam says:
"This inhuman and cruel move against a writer by Hindu
Fascists should be stopped". He told a newspaper, "If
the charges contained in my book are baseless, the
devotees could have published a rejoinder. They have
published malicious reports against rationalists in
their publications".

IHEU calls upon the Kerala State government to uphold
the principles of secularism and Humanism incorporated
in Article 51 A (h) of the Indian Constitution which
enjoins every Indian citizen to develop scientific
temper and Humanism.

IHEU also calls upon its member organizations,
associates, human rights activists and defenders of
democratic principles to send letters of protest to
the Chief Minister of Kerala as well as the Home
Secretary of Kerala state. IHEU is bringing the urgent
matter to the attention also of Amnesty International,
Human Rights Watch, Reporters Sans Frontieres, The
International Committee for the Protection of
Journalists and the UN Special Rapporteur of Freedom
of Religion or Belief. www.iheu.org

Need of the hour
Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam's case is not a new one in
human history. He inherits the great minds of the yore
that showed an extraordinary courage to criticize the
established religion and the state. Socrates had to
drink the hemlock, Hypatia, a courageous woman in the
medieval period who criticized the Church, are some
examples we have from the pages of ancient history. In
modern times too, writer's like Salman Rushdie and
Tasleema Nasreen are being subjected to the
intolerance of religious fanaticism. Recently in
Pakistan Dr. Younus Shaikh had been jailed for
blasphemy. But as a result of the worldwide demand for
the release of Dr.Younus the Pakistan government had
to release him from death sell. So if human rights
activists, secularists, free thinkers and rationalists
take this matter seriously and act urgently to
persuade the government to quit from the execution of
the Order that will be a boon to all those who think
freely. Above all, if we act in this very moment we
could perhaps prevent the similar incidents in future.
What we must do now is to organize a worldwide
campaign and do everything in favour of this writer
and hence the Kerala State Committee of PUCL requests
the cooperation of all like-minded people and
organizations in this regard.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sreenidc/petition.html

PLEASE SEND LETTER TO
Mr. A.K. Antony
The Chief Minister of Kerala State
Government Secretariat
Thiruvananthapuram 695 001
Kerala, India
Fax:+91-0471-2333489 Email:
cmkerala at vsnl.net and

chiefminister at kerala.gov.in

Dear Chief Minister Mr.A.K. Antony,

I am writing to protest against the recent govt. order
to sanction the prosecution of an author and
rationalist leader Mr. Sreeni Pattathanam in your
state, because of his book Matha Amruthandamayi -
Divya Kadhakalum Yatharthiavum (Matha
Amrithanandamayi: Sacred Stories and Realities, Mass
Publications, revised edition) exposing the alleged
wrong doings of Mata Amritanandamayi.

I am aware of your own personal devotion to Mata
Amrithanandamayi; however, I am alarmed that as Chief
Minister as well as home minister incharge of police
and security, instead of examining the evidence
produced in the book and launching an inquiry into the
ashram activities, you have chosen to initiate moves
to prosecute Mr. Sreeni Patthathanam on the grounds
that his book has hurt the religious sentiments of
people, following a complaint by one Mr. Ajan. The
Mata's organisation is registered as a social
organisation and not as a religious organisation. How
can criticism of a social organisation and the doings
of those associated with it cause hurt to religious
sentiments? In any case, religious leaders cannot be
immune from the attentions of the criminal justice
system.

I call on you to uphold the principles of secular
democracy, to uphold the rule of law, and to protect
Mr. Pattathanam's freedom of _expression and belief
and its lawful exercise.

In these troubles times in India where intolerance is
on the rise, the international community is watching
you and looking to you to uphold democratic principles

Yours sincerely,
Expecting your urgent intervention in this matter.
Sd/-

Adv. P.A. Pauran, President, PUCL, Kerala.
V. Venugopal, General Secretary, PUCL, Kerala.
Jacob V. Lazer, Treasurer, PUCL, Kerala. Tel: 98472
97466

Copy of your suggestions and comments may be forwarded to:
Email:

sreenidcpucl at yahoo.co.in
jacobkaloor at yahoo.co.uk

o o o o o o

[SEE ADDITIONAL MATERIAL EXTRACTED FROM THE ORIGINAL ALERT BY IHEU]

URGENT ACTION REQUESTED
Indian Rationalist Leader Sreeni Pattathanam needs support!

Sreeni Pattathanam

Kerala Government renews attempts to prosecute
author for book with explosive details on
religious leader Mata Amritanandamayi, the
"Hugging Mother"

Hugging Mother

Mata Amritanandamayi (nee Sudhamani, 1953) of
Kerala is known to the world as the  'hugging
mother'. She was also the subject of a television
documentary in the 'Weird Weekends' series on BBC
TV, presented by Louis Theroux. She hugs people
and passes on to them 'energy'. Reputedly she has
hugged and healed some 20 million people all over
the world as part of her mission. On Fridays she
acts as the goddess Kali, and on many occasions
she has claimed to be Lord Krishna himself.

Like god man Satya Sai Baba, she too has many
devotees: BJP leaders like Prime Minister of
India A.B. Vajpayee, Home Minister of India L.K.
Advani, and also Congress Party Chief Minister
(of Kerala) A.K. Antony are amongst them.

Home Ministry records of the Government of India
show that the Mata Amritanadamayi Mission is the
second largest recipient in India of foreign
funds - in 1998-99 alone Rs. 51.55 crores were
received (about 515 million Indian Rupees or
about 11.5 million US Dollars). Educational
institutions established by this primary school
drop out enjoy Deemed University status; Penguin
India published her authorized biography ('Amma,
A Living Saint' by Judith Cornell) where her
miracles and her boundless love are highlighted,
and the train Amrit Express (Palghat Town-
Thiruvananthapuram) is named after her.

Sacred Stories and Realities

In 2002, rationalist leader Mr. Sreeni
Pattathanam, General Secretary of Bharateeya
Rationalist Association - the Kerala State
affiliate of the Rationalist Association of
India, a member of IHEU - and Editor of the
Malayalam language rationalist monthly
Yukthirajyam, published a 170 page book in
Malayalam: 'Matha Amruthandamayi - Divya
Kadhakalum Yatharthiavum' (Matha
Amrithanandamayi: Sacred Stories and Realities,
Mass Publications, revised edition).

'Matha Amruthandamayi - Divya Kadhakalum Yathar-thiavum'.

Book cover
front and back page
Mr. Pattathanam's efforts to bring to light facts
are pioneering, and his main contentions are that
the Mata's claims to miracles are bogus, and that
there have been many suspicious deaths in and
around her ashram which need police
investigation. The research work contains
elaborate references to court records, news paper
reports and quotations from well known literary
figures, including statements from the Mata's
close relatives, as well as an interview with
Mata Amritanandamayi herself.

In 2002, members of the Bharathiya Rationalist
Association staged a protest demonstration
outside the Government secretariat in
Thiruvananthapuram calling for an impartial
inquiry into the allegations of suspicious deaths
as well as the activities of the
so-called charitable institutions being run by
the influential 'god woman'.

Government and Public Response

Instead of investigating the allegations and
examining the evidence produced, the state
government - headed by the Mata's ardent devotee
the Chief minister A.K. Antony - initiated moves
to prosecute Mr Pattathanam for making
'objectionable references' to the spiritual
leader, and for 'hurting the religious sentiments
of her devotees'. With great alacrity, the state
government moved swiftly, and statements from
Sreeni Pattathanam as well as the publisher and
printer were recorded by the police inspector of
Karunagappally. The relevant law sought to be
applied would be Section 295-A which criminalizes
'insulting or attempting to insult the religion
or religious beliefs of any class of citizens
with an intention of outraging its religious
feelings'.

Rising to the occasion, a group of writers and
social activists headed by eminent Malayalee
author Paul Zacharia and Human Rights activist
Mr. Mukundan C. Menon issued a statement
condemning the vindictive nature of the
government's moves. "Since certain ruling
politicians, both at the federal and state
governments, are known devotees of the Mata, we
have reasons to suspect that there is a sinister
and malicious conspiracy behind the move to
prosecute Mr Sreeni Pattathanam".

Because of the ensuing international attention,
the government relented and halted its steps to
facilitate the prosecution of the author.
However, a relentless internet-based campaign was
launched by the Mata's devotees against those who
came to Sreeni Pattathanam's defence.

Mr. Pattathanam's Statement

Both Mr. Pattathanam as well as Mr. C.I. Oommen,
President of the Bharateeya Rationalist
Association, Kerala, met with IHEU leaders in
January 2003.

In a videotaped interview with IHEU Executive
Director Babu Gogineni they told about their
fears that in view of the prevailing campaign
against rationalists, and the rise of Hindu
fundamentalism, the danger for them was still not
over, and that efforts to prosecute would be
restarted. Mr. Pattathanam could be arrested and
even tortured. "Custodial deaths are not uncommon
in Kerala", they reminded us.
Mr. Oommen

Mr. Pattathanam emphasized elsewhere: "I believe
that I worked in accordance with the Indian
Constitution Š they are trying to deny me my
constitutional rights. This inhuman and cruel
move against a writer by Hindu Fascists should be
stopped". He told a newspaper "If the charges
contained in my book are baseless, the devotees
could have published a rejoinder. They have
published malicious reports against rationalists
in their publications".

Urgent Message

IHEU has now received urgent messages from Mr.
Pattathanam that on the pretext of executing a
High Court judgement, the State Government has
reopened the issue and the State Home secretary
has summoned Mr. Pattathanam to present himself
before him on 18 March 2003 for questioning.

IHEU's Call for Action

IHEU notes that Mr. Pattathanam was instrumental
several years ago in exposing the 'miracle' of
the divine makarajyoti light, which 'appears'
during the annual Ayyappa pilgrimage in Kerala on
a remote hill.

Leaders of the Bharateeya Rationalist Association
have also performed immense public service to the
people of India by stopping - through the means
of a Public Interest Litigation in the Kerala
High Court - the fraudulent claims of Mr.Majeed
of Fair Pharma who earned millions of Rupees by
claiming that his (unverified and unapproved)
AIDS cure IMMUNO QR had saved 100,000 patients.

IHEU calls upon the Kerala state government to
stop immediately the harassment of a respected
rationalist who is performing public service by
protecting the gullible and innocent through his
investigations.

IHEU supports Mr. Pattathanam's efforts to expose
the truth behind claims to miracles.

IHEU defends Mr. Pattathanam's freedom of
expression and his rights as an author and
applauds his courage in bringing to light
important facts about suspected crimes.

IHEU calls upon the Kerala State government to
uphold the principles of secularism and Humanism
incorporated in Article 51 A (h) of the Indian
Constitution which enjoins every Indian citizen
to develop scientific temper and Humanism.

[...]
IHEU is bringing the urgent matter to the
attention also of Amnesty International, Human
Rights Watch, Reporters Sans Frontieres, The
International Committee for the Protection of
Journalists and the UN Special Rapporteur of
Freedom of Religion or Belief.
Rationalist Association of India and IHEU

The Rationalist Association of India is a full
member of the International Humanist and Ethical
Union.

[Other officials to whom letters can be adressed in support of Mr. Pattathanam]

- Governor of Kerala: Fax + 91 -471-2720266
- Director General of Police, Kerala: Fax: + 91 - 471 - 2726560
Email: dgp at scrb.com
- Principal Secretary Home (Police) Fax: + 91 - 471 - 2327582
Email: prisecy at home.kerala.gov.in

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
The complete SACW archive is available at:
bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative, provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW:  snipurl.com/sacip
See also associated site: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org