SACW | 21 March 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Mar 20 16:57:56 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  21 March,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan: Debating education reform - II (A H Nayyar)
[2] Pakistan: Cobwebs in the mind (Beena Sarwar)
[3] India: Texts, Lies and Politics (Editorial, The Telegraph)
[4] India: Book Review - The Bounds Of Citizenship (Dilip Simeon)
[5] India: Summary Critique of Court Judgements
in the Four Cases Relating To Glorification of
Sati
[6] People's Initiative to defeat BJP in elections 2004

--------------

[1]

The News International [Pakistan]
March 20, 2004

Debating education reform - II

A H Nayyar

Shireen Mazari's criticism (March 10, 2004) of
our report on the state of curriculum and
textbooks and the need for urgent reform has many
shortcomings. The report is entitled "The Subtle
Subversion: The State of Curricula and Text-books
in Pakistan - Urdu, English, Social Studies and
Civics" and is available in full from the
Sustainable Policy

Development Institute (SDPI), in Islamabad (and
on the web at www.sdpi.org). As one of the
coordinators and authors of the report, I would
like to address her general criticism and some of
her specific comments in detail.

Ms Mazari questions why we did the study and its
timing. She sees it as part of a grand
conspiracy. Our report is a detailed presentation
of much that is wrong with the teaching of Urdu,
English, Social Studies/Pakistan Studies, and
Civics in our public schools. In addition to
serious pedagogical problems, we have pointed out
the systematic inclusion of material that creates
hate towards peoples of other nations and faiths,
distorts history by offering a false narrative,
creates gender bias, violates the fundamental
rights of minorities guaranteed by the
constitution of the country, glorifies
militarism, and repeatedly urges students to
militancy by misusing the Islamic concepts of
jihad and shahadat. These are not things that can
be ignored by any Pakistani concerned about the
future of our country.

As to it's timing, we agree this work should have
been done much earlier, by experienced
educationists, particularly social scientists.
They should have voiced their dissent at the
damage being done by the mainstream education
system. Of course, there have been important
exceptions, like the historians K K Aziz and
Mubarak Ali, and social scientists Rubina Saigol
and Tariq Rehman. Others either chose to remain
silent spectators of this subversion of the
nation's future or, worse, contributed to the
problem. It would be more useful to ask those
that were silent or complicit to explain
themselves.

Mazari's criticism shows not just malice towards
its authors, but it seems she made only a cursory
study of the report and the subjects with which
it deals (she calls it a "limited look") and her
presentation of the report is not intellectually
honest. The last of these is most important since
it misleads the readers of her article about the
report.

Mazari has in several places misrepresented the
contents of our report. For example, she says
that the report objects to children being taught
to say Asalam o Alaikum or Bismillah. This is
misleading because she conceals the context. The
report was, in fact, explaining how in the public
schools religious minorities are made to
compulsorily learn the Qur'an and Islamic
rituals, and that this is a violation of their
fundamental rights guaranteed by the constitution.

Let me explain. There is an integrated curriculum
for classes I to III. To lessen the burden on
young children, various disciplines are
integrated into one textbook and it is compulsory
reading for every child. This means that every
child must study Islamiat, whatever its faith.
All children are forced to memorize Qur'anic
suras, the Kalimas, and to learn Islamic rituals
like namaz and wuzu (prayers and ablutions) and
saying Bismillah before meals, etc. This
requirement violates a fundamental right of
non-Muslim students. The point made in the report
is that we are imposing Muslim majoritarianism on
the children of our non-Muslim citizens. By being
so insensitive to their religious identity, and
showing no respect for our religious differences,
we risk alienating them from a shared sense of
Pakistani nationhood.

Turning to another point, Mazari admits that "Of
course, there is no doubt that some of the texts
do denigrate Hindus ..". But this by itself is a
gross understatement. She ought to have read the
report in detail to see that the curricula and
textbooks do more than just "denigrate" Hindus.
Blind to the fact that there are Hindu citizens
of Pakistan, and the elementary notion that the
faiths and identities of all people everywhere
should be treated with respect, the curriculum
documents prescribe and textbooks teach an
outrageous and irrational hatred against Hindus.

Take for example the following excerpt from the
Urdu textbook for class VI published by the
Punjab Textbook Board in March 2002. The title of
the story is Dushman Hawabaz". It is about a
captured Indian pilot (necessarily a Hindu
because all Indians are painted as Hindus) who is
treated kindly by his captors. The pilot, in the
words of the book, recalls that: "He [as a Hindu]
had only been taught never to have pity on
Muslims, to always bother the neighbouring
Muslims, to weaken them to the extent that they
forget about freedom, and that it was better to
finish the enemy off. He remembered that the
Hindus tried to please their goddess Kali by
slaughtering innocent people of other faiths at
her feet..."

By no definition is this mere denigration. It is
pure and simple creation of hate. And, this is
just one of many specific quotations from the
curriculum and textbooks given in the report. Now
imagine a Pakistani Hindu student being forced to
read this text. How can this not offend and
alienate the child from our society and the
country. Who would disagree that this amounts to
subverting the society from within? Our report
derives the title "The Subtle Subversion" from
this realization.

Let me turn finally to one last example. Mazari
picked up and misused a sentence from our chapter
on Muslims and Hindus in India prior to
independence. She presents it in her article as
evidence of our distortion of history and lack of
patriotism. She says: "As for History, if it is
distorted in the prevailing curricula, authors
Nayyar and Salim want to rectify the situation
with a new set of distortions. For instance, they
would reject the historical fact presented in the
Social Studies textbook for Class VI published by
the Punjab Textbook Board, Lahore (January 2002),
which states the following:" The enmity shown by
Hindus and the Congress after the partition of
Bengal made Muslim leaders to think to form a
political party. They wanted to raise a voice for
the safeguard of the interests of the Muslims and
convey their feelings to the British Government."
She then goes on to say: It is clear that there
is nothing erroneous in the factual part of the
statement at all. So why would the authors object
to many statements like this one relating to the
Pakistan Movement, unless they wish to decry the
Movement itself." A reader of your newspaper, who
has not read our report, could be deceived by
this gross intellectual dishonesty. The fact is
that nowhere in the report do we question the
factual character of the above quote from the
book.

We need a serious national debate about the
growing violence, intolerance and religious
sectarianism in our country. The authors and
contributors to our report believe these dangers
flow in large part from problems in our education
system. Our children are being educated in a way
that makes them susceptible to sectarianism and
extremism, making them intolerant and violent as
they grow up. We need to think and discuss what
kind of education and what kind of values to
offer our children. We hope our report has helped
take this discussion a step further. We hope that
others will join in. But any debate must be
honest and informed and open if it is to lead to
a shared understanding of our problems and their
solutions.

The writer teaches Physics at Quaid-i-Azam
University, Islamabad, and is also a visiting
fellow at the Sustainable Development Policy
Institute.

The News International [Pakistan]
March 21, 2004

Cobwebs in the mind

Beena Sarwar

What are we to make of the President's stated
commitment to women's rights, as articulated on
several occasions, most recently at his much
applauded address to a women's convention in
Islamabad on Saturday - even as the departments
and institutions of the country he heads, appear
stubbornly determined to denigrate these very
rights?

Take the Federal Curriculum Wing, currently in
the thick of an ongoing controversy regarding
textbook reform in the country. There has been
much debate on how Pakistani textbooks foment
hatred and bigotry against non-Muslims,
particularly against India. How the textbooks do
this has been well documented in the publication
The Subtle Subversion: The State of Curricula and
Textbooks in Pakistan, published by the
Sustainable Development Policy Institute in
Islamabad last year.

This report is currently the subject of a heated
debate between those who find bigotry and hate
being propagated not just the madrassah level but
also through government school textbooks, and
those who think that there is no problem with
these textbooks.

Let us, for the moment, fall in with the second
category, ignore the numerous examples cited in
the Subversion study, and conclude that Pakistani
textbooks actually promote the values of communal
and religious harmony, and include no hate
material whatsoever.

But how do they fare on gender issues? Even here,
to present a positive picture we would have to
disregard the study's chapter 'Gender Biases and
Stereotypes in School Texts'. We would have to
dismiss the chapter authors' claims that the
producers of Pakistani textbooks 'are actively
resistant to the idea of women's rights and
believe in the preservation of the status quo'.

Their citation of the 1959 Report of the
Commission on National Education would also need
to be discarded, since they say it views women
not as individuals and equal citizens in their
own right, but only as wives and mothers,
ignoring all the other categories. Without going
into the merits of the argument about women's
status beyond wifehood and motherhood, we could
say that 1959 was a long time ago.

Do later textbooks reflect the increasing
participation of women in the public and
professional spheres over the years? The Gender
Biases chapter says not. Leave aside its
examination of how school texts perpetuated
gender biases under the Zia regime - a 1985 study
found that girls were shown most often in passive
roles, enforcing traditional stereotypes - after
all, it's been over 15 years since Gen Zia left
us and 'democracy' was 'restored'.

Moving on to more recent times, let us also
discard the Gender Biases chapter conclusion that
matters have not improved and that a 'gender
biased division of roles is woven into almost all
the exercises and stories in these books, thus we
have constant references to men performing active
and/or heroic roles and women engaged in passive,
often frippery activities' But in that case, can
someone please explain the Federal Curriculum
Wing's refusal to incorporate the late journalist
Najma Babar's article 'Madam Chairman, Sir', in a
proposed Class Ten English textbook submitted by
the Sindh Textbook Board?

To give some background on this baffling bit of
censorship, the Sindh Education Department under
the committed educationist Prof. Anita Ghulam
Ali, commissioned senior English language
teaching (ELT) experts to formulate new English
language textbooks for Classes 8-12 - part of an
effort to update a course that has not changed in
over forty years.

The new textbooks include material that would
make the learning of English more interesting,
accessible and friendly for Pakistani students,
most of whom struggle with it as a foreign and a
second language.

The Sindh Textbook Board duly sent the new
proposed textbooks for approval to the Federal
Curriculum Wing. However, the Curriculum Wing
rejected much of the new material and provided a
list of topics that the new English textbooks
should include - like drug abuse, traffic rules,
festivals of Pakistan and so on - topics that are
certain to excite the students' imaginations and
get them interested in learning? At the same
time, they also want classics like Shakespeare
and Jane Austen included in these textbooks.
Brilliant though the works of both writers is,
their appropriateness for young non-native
speakers of English is questionable.

But it is the material that was removed from
these proposed English textbooks that should
particularly concern those fighting for a
curriculum that promotes the values of equality,
peace, religious harmony and gender rights.

Among the pieces to get axed was Najma Babar's
'Madam Chairman, Sir', in which she describes how
her husband got the children ready for school and
looked after them, in the days when she had a job
and he didn't. Also axed was Dina Wadia's essay
remembering her august father the Quaid-e-Azam,
the satirical poem 'Mrs Lorris Died of Being
Cleanî', the short play, 'Never on a Wednesday'
and an essay on the Bermuda Triangle, as well as
a poem by Khalil Jibran.

Why these pieces should have been removed when
their inclusion was recommended by ELT experts,
is unclear. What is clear is that major overhauls
are required - not just in the curriculum wing,
but also in the minds of those running it.

The Telegraph [ India]
March 21, 2004
Editorial

TEXTS, LIES AND POLITICS

Falsification is an art which totalitarian
regimes practise shamelessly. Josef Stalin
completely obliterated Leon Trotsky from the
history of the Bolshevik Revolution. Adolf
Hitler, to legitimize the Final Solution,
perpetuated a string of lies about the Jews.
Those who see the Bharatiya Janata Party as the
harbinger of fascism in India will not be
surprised by the demand of Mr Gopinath Munde, the
president of the BJP in Maharashtra. Mr Munde
announced that Discovery of India should be
banned because in it, Jawaharlal Nehru, according
to Mr Munde, called Shivaji a bandit. While the
demand to ban a book smacks of authoritarianism,
this particular claim of Mr Munde is ridiculous
in content and mischievous in intent. The simple
fact is that Nehru wrote no such thing. He
described Shivaji as an outstanding guerrilla
leader who was a thorn in the side of the Mughal
administration in the Deccan. In fact, Nehru
noted the contribution of Shivaji towards the
consolidation of Hindu nationalism. Mr Munde has
obviously never opened Discovery of India to read
what Nehru had actually written. If he has
checked out the book and then made the demand, he
is guilty of deliberate falsehood. Mr Munde is
either an ignoramus or a deliberate and
unscrupulous fabricator.

There is no need to be kind to Mr Munde. He has
done the damage he had intended. The Shiv Sena
and other Maratha jingoists will not stop to
establish the veracity of Mr Munde's statement.
They will go on a rampage, which is all they are
good at. Mr Munde wanted to whip up anger against
the Congress. The result can only be violent. His
statement should also be seen in the context of
similar lies uttered by the BJP and sections of
the sangh parivar. Ideologues of Hindutva have a
long tradition of distorting history and of
taking quotations out of context. Muslims and
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi have both been victims
of such distortions. Nehru is a new name on the
list. Other figures on the sangh parivar
hate-list - the historian, Romila Thapar, is a
well-known example - frequently have their
writings distorted. The BJP and the ideological
family to which it belongs obviously believe that
to lie and to distort in order to calumniate an
enemy are not matters of serious consequence.
This only highlights the moral vacuum in which
they operate: a vacuum that enables the spread of
lies, the incitement to violence and murder as so
many steps to the goal of a Hindu rashtra.

Quite distinct from the peddling of untruth,
there is a more profound issue involved here.
Nehru in his book had expressed his opinions on
various individuals and subjects. All his
opinions need not be shared by everybody, and
indeed they should not be. But this is not
sufficient ground for calling for a ban on
Nehru's book. Such a demand is frequently voiced
in India. In West Bengal, supporters of Subhas
Chandra Bose burnt copies of the Ananda Bazar
Patrika because the newspaper had published
extracts from Bose's letters to his wife. The
Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute was
vandalized because it had been thanked by a
scholar in his critical study of Shivaji. And now
comes Mr Munde's ridiculous demand. It is India's
immaturity and misfortune that are manifest in
this kind of extreme touchiness about icons.

Outlook [ India]
Mar 29, 2004
REVIEW

The Bounds Of Citizenship
A hint at the need for a different paradigm to
the debate, but no exit routes yet
DILIP SIMEON

WILL SECULAR INDIA SURVIVE?
by Mushirul Hasan
IMPRINTONE
RS 800; PAGES: 399

This collection of political essays by eminent
academics is edited by a historian who was
himself a target of fanatics some years ago. Its
contents provide much food for thought in the
attempt to answer the question.

Martha Nussbaum's essay argues against a special
status to any single religious establishment in a
constitutional order. She draws parallels between
intolerance in colonial America and tendencies in
contemporary India.
Whilst recognising the protections which India's
Constitution bestows on minorities, she draws
attention to the vulnerability of fundamental
rights and the Constitution to executive
encroachment; the exemption of personal laws from
the scrutiny of fundamental rights; and the
undemocratic structure within religious
communities. On the civil code, she suggests a
consistent protection of fundamental rights
across a range of personal laws as a way out.

Neera Chandhoke argues forcefully that the
defence of secularism be refocused around the
constitutional order; that secularism be located
within the principle of democratic equality, she
cites the need to protect vulnerable sections
within minorities.

Zoya Hasan provides significant data on the
ethnic matrices of social inequality and
political under-representation. She emphasises
the need for Muslims to situate these questions
within "opportunities and constraints they share
with others". The editor's essay on Muslim
educational systems is a valuable introduction to
a controversial subject. Dipankar Gupta has a
provocative piece on the psycho-social roots of
terrorism, stressing in particular the
ramifications of humiliation.

Radhika Desai's essay analyses caste undertones
in communal politics and the novelty of political
functions that take the form of 'traditional'
caste identities. Satish Saberwal conducts a
sociological exploration into the trajectories
followed by community consciousness in its
journey towards identity politics. Amrita Basu
and Srirupa Roy dissect Gujarat in 2002, paying
attention to the erosion of boundaries between
civil society and the state. They provide strong
arguments for those who discern a creeping
criminalisation of the Indian state, but also
want to understand the reasons behind the
popularity of communal politics. Hasan Suroor's
is a moving account of his experiences as a
journalist, who gets cast for a role despite the
fact that his Muslim identity means little more
to him than a name and "some cultural baggage".
There are articles on recent developments in
Indian politics; the Minorities Commission; and
an essay about encounters with identity in the
era of Babri Masjid, Gujarat, and 9/11.

The book's underlying theme is minority rights,
specifically, the "Hindu-Muslim" question. Hasan
writes, "...whether Indian secularism can survive
in any meaningful sense... will depend on how
religious minorities can share power and
privilege...". This formulation needs to be
rethought. It is possible for a tyrannical state
to adopt a secular ideology. Kamal Ataturk was
secular, but hardly democratic. The book could
have provided readers with more ideas in that
direction. Is it secularism that is under threat
or the rule of law, and citizenship? Could a case
be argued for a constitutional breakdown at the
level of the Union engineered by the ruling class
itself? Zoya Hasan points to the intensified
effort to "draw the boundaries of citizenship on
the basis of religion". But the critique of this
communal demography cannot succeed by using the
same conceptual language.

There are entities in the social firmament other
than 'Hindus' and 'Muslims'. Women are the
largest minority, to begin with. Millions of
'informal' labourers are denied voting rights
because of their frequent absence from place of
residence during elections. Certain judicial
pronouncements on strikes indicate a conviction
that workers are not members of society. Why has
labour been occluded from secular discourse? The
judicial conscience suffers amnesia when Article
21 is suspended for certain citizens in certain
places; is not the preservation of the criminal
justice system crucial to the fate of democracy
(and secularism)? Hasan's critique of the BJP's
intellectual agenda points to the
instrumentalisation of education, and use of
history as propaganda. Such criticisms could also
be made of left-wing politics. Many factors have
contributed to the globally rampant right-wing.
Might the fractious practices of the left-wing
have something to do with it? Much honest
reflection is called for, historical as well as
ethical.

The book leaves the reader with a sense of things
left unsaid and areas unexplored. This is not to
detract from its worth. It suggests approaches
that could break fresh ground in answering the
question that is its title.

[  Women's groups had a demonstration in Jaipur,
on 3rd March on the basis of the demands spelt
out below - Ammu Abraham, Women's Centre,Bombay.]

o o o

SUMMARY CRITIQUE OF THE COURT JUDGEMENTS IN THE
FOUR CASES RELATING TO GLORIFICATION OF SATI

Case nos. 1/87, 2/87, 3/87, 6/87

Special Court Sati Prevention and Session Court, Jaipur

Name of Judge: Shiv Singh Chauhan

Date of Judgement : 31st January, 2004

On the 31st of January 2004 the Special Court on
Sati Prevention cum Sessions Court in Jaipur
acquitted all the eleven accused in four of the
22 cases on glorification of Sati that were filed
16 years ago in 1987. Those acquitted included
former minister and vice President of the
Rajasthan BJP Rajasthan Singh Rathore, former
Bharatiya Yuva Morcha President and the nephew of
Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, Pratap
Singh Khachariawas, President of the Rajput Maha
Sabha, Narendra Singh Rajawat, former IAS officer
Onkar Singh and Advocate Ram Singh Manohar. The
judgement came as a big blow to the various
movements struggling for emancipation of women
from the centuries old shackles of inhuman
traditions and practices.

Women's groups in Rajasthan have studied the
judgement and feel that they are full of loop
holes. Since the day of the acquittal these
groups have been demanding that the Government of
Rajasthan act immediately, give justice a chance
and therefore appeal in the Rajasthan High Court.
Inspite of building pressure through the media
and publicly agitating on the streets and writing
letters to the Chief Minister, she has not
responded.

On the 5th of February, 2004 women's groups in
Rajasthan protested outside the Rajasthan State
Assembly. In spite of 250 women being outside the
Assembly gates for more than six hours the Chief
Minster did not respond. Following which women's
groups sent a large number of letters to the
Chief Minister but the Government has not shown
signs of either listening to us or meeting us.

Women's groups have decided not to give up their
demands. The  present mobilization is one more
step in the direction of being heard.

The Background and the sixteen year old court journey

On the 4th of September, 1987, eighteen year old
Roop Kanwar of Deorala, District Sikar lost her
husband Maal Singh. Before afternoon she was
forced to climb on her husband's funeral pyre and
was burnt alive in the presence of the whole
village, in the name of having attained Satihood.
For Rajasthan this was not the first incident of
widow burning in the name of Sati since
independence. It was the 26th such incident. The
only difference this time was that women's groups
were on the streets agitating and trying to
prevent the open violation of law, first through
the murder of the widow and then by glorifying
this act in the name of Sati. When the Government
openly let thousands of people break the law and
glorify the murder in the name of Sati worship,
the women's groups moved the Rajasthan High Court
and got it to stop this act. The women's  groups
then forced the Government to bring in the
Rajasthan Sati Prevention Ordinance, 1987 by the
1st of October and later the Central Government
to bring in the Commission of Sati Prevention
Act, 1987. The law thus made punishable any
activity that could be termed as glorification in
the name of Sati.

In spite of the law against glorification being
in place in the State, in the districts and
cities of Jaipur, Alwar, Sikar. there was open
violation of the law and a large number of
rallies with naked swords, chanting slogans in
praise of Sati and Roop Kanwar were seen in these
places. Twenty two cases were filed by the
Rajasthan police in these districts under the
Rajasthan Sati Prevention ordinance, 1987. By
November the police had filed the charge sheets
in these 22 matters. The accused challenged these
charge sheets in the Rajasthan High Court who
dismissed the charge sheets by December, 1987.
The Government of Rajasthan then challenged the
High Court judgement and moved to the Supreme
Court. The matter came up in front of the Supreme
Court in 1991.who finally reversed the Rajasthan
High Court judgement in these cases in January
2003 and sent them back for trial to Jaipur.

It was only by June 2003 that trial began in the
Jaipur special Sati court. The first judge of
this special Sati court was taken ill and after
his untimely demise a second judge called Shiv
Singh Chauhan. was appointed. In January 2004 the
trial moved with great speed and the matter was
concluded by 31st January, acquitting all the
accused in four of the 22 cases that underwent
trial.

This was not new. In the matter of the murder of
Roop Kanwar, all the accused were acquitted in
1996 by a lower in Neem-ka-thana in Sikar
district. Although the then Government of
Rajasthan filed an appeal promptly, which was
admitted in the Rajasthan High Court soon after.
But even though eight years have passed the
appeal is yet to come up for hearing in the High
Court.

The major concern for us is that if the
Government of Rajasthan does not appeal in the
Rajasthan High Court against these acquittals in
cases of glorification of Sati then there will be
no chance of justice in the future in these
cases, which will be a set back for all
progressive movements.

The Summary Critique of the Judgement.

The Judgment of the Special Court (Sati
Prevention), Jaipur pronounced on 31/1/2004
acquitting all the accused charged for glorifying
the practice of Sati in four of the cases out of
twenty two are full of lacunae. The four
judgments, which are more or less identical,
clearly reflect the same outdated mentality, not
only in approach but appreciation of evidence as
well as interpretation of law. One cannot help
sensing a certain kind of perverse motivation
while going through the text of the judgments.

Misinterpretation of the provision defining glorification of Sati

The most glaring problem with this judgement is
the way in which the court has interpreted the
provisions defining "glorification" of Sati
practice! in Section 2 (B). and punishable under
section 5 of the Rajasthan Ordinance of 1987. It
does not require any legal acumen to see that the
offence of glorification is an independent
offence in itself. The definition is general and
wide and is not dependent on any particular
incident. The definition reads as under:

"By 'glorification' as far as the practice of
Sati is concerned, it includes amongst other
things, to organize any function or procession
with regard to Sati or to create any Trust or
collect funds or to perpetuate. the glory or
memory of the person committing Sati or to build
any temple for the purpose."

The intention of this provision is clear. The
mention of a particular person is only in the
later part of the definition while the former
part is general and not related to any particular
person or incident. Moreover when it says that "
it includes amongst other things ", it means that
the succeeding sentences are not exhaustive. They
are only inclusive. However the court has
unabashedly interpreted it to mean that the
offence of glorification must be in relation to a
particular incident. Therefore first the incident
has to be proved in order to hold the accused
guilty, for the offence of glorification in
relation to that incident. This itself makes the
approach of the court, as perverse and
unacceptable. it may be pointed out that in many
other cases also when the Supreme Court or 'the
Rajasthan High Court have issued directions with
regard to preventing Melas at Rani Sati Mandir
etc., they have never required that first the
incident of Sati must be proved.

Misinterpretation of the Supreme Court Judgement

The Sati Court has also misinterpreted the
judgment of Rajasthan High Court and Supreme
Court given in the same matter in 1987 and 2003
respectively. When the Supreme Court had remanded
the case back to the trial court, it clearly
meant that the complete decision of. the
Rajasthan High Court was quashed and therefore
all the matters in the case including offences
under section 5 as well as 6 of the Ordinance
were open for trial by the Sati Court. However,
the Sati Court started on the premise that the
Rajasthan High court had already given judgment
with regards to Section 6 and on this logic
offence under section 6 were not worthy of trial.
But the Court continues to discuss the evidence
and declares that the offence was not made out.
But it is for every one to see that the court was
acting under a predetermined approach.

Defining Sati : An act outside the jurisdiction of the court.

The same prejudice is evident when the court
proceeds to give irrelevant arguments,
particularly while considering the definition  f
Sati, it says that "Sati" means a woman being
virtuous, having strong character, completely
devoted towards her husband and having a
relationship with only one man during her whole
life. The judgement has also referred to the
mythological character of Sita and Anusuya
addressing them as Sati and on this basis he has
argued that if with this meaning one refers to
Sita or Anusuya he cannot be called guilty of
glorifying Sati. Such an argument is completely
irrelevant and exposes the mindset of the court
and is not connected with the legal definition of
practice of Sati. When in these cases the accused
were hailing Roop Kanwar as Sati and raising
slogans in her honour, it was clearly an offence
of glorifying Sati Practice in the legal sense of
the term. They were not honouring Sita or Anusuya
but were glorifying the burning of Roop Kanwar
alive on her husband's funeral pyre.

Not taking cognizance of the testimonies of the
policemen who deposed, hostile witnesses and
other documentary evidence

It further seems that the Court was determined to
find fault with every aspect of the case
including the facts, evidence, documentary or
oral and smash it altogether. That is why though
it was neither necessary nor legally tenable to
go into the facts with regard to the offence of
glorification, when once the court has held that
the offence of glorification cannot be made out
without first proving the particular incident for
which there was no evidence, it still did so.

It is well settled by the various decision of
Supreme Court and Rajasthan High Court that the
deposition of police witnesses cannot be
discarded only on the ground that they are police
men. However in these cases the court has refused
to rely on the statements of those policemen who
have consistently supported the prosecution case.
It was done only on the ground that they are
police men, working under the Investigation
Officer and being a policemen they are supposed
to be expert witnesses. This part of the judgment
is completely irrational. The court has even
adversely commented upon the Investigating
Officers simply on the untenable ground that he
was also the one who communicated first
information about the incident and then also
became investigation officer.

The law for appreciation of evidence says that
even hostile witnesses must not be discarded
completely. That evidence has to be scrutinized
but in this case the court has not at all cared
to look in their evidence.

At one place strangely the court has gone against
the well settled principle that "ignorance of law
is no excuse". The Court has clearly opined that
unless it is not proved that the person was aware
of the law, he is not liable to be punished. This
argument may be somewhat relevant (but not
completely) with regard to the offence under
section 6 (3) of the Ordinance but it seems that
the court applied this interpretation with regard
to other offences as well.

There is a published document, a pamphlet. A bare
reading of this pamphlet is suffice to convince
even a layman that it was meant to glorify not
only Roop Kanwar's incident but the practice of
Sati as well. However the court has refused to
consider it saying that the prosecution has not
specifically pointed out and argued about the
portion which it considers amounting to be
offence of glorification.

Further when the court refers to the document
(Ex. P.S.) containing words that Roop Kanwar by
becoming Sati had served "Hindutva", it says that
these words  may amount  to glorification but
then again the court brushes it aside by saying
that it could only be considered so, if Roop
Kanwar's Sati incident was proved. Thus by the
logic of the court if a book is published
glorifying the Sati Practice by telling a story
of an imaginary character, it will not amount to
an offence unless the glorification activity
relates to any real incident. Clearly the
approach of the court was topsy-turvy.

Lapses of the Prosecution

It also seems that the prosecution itself was
either half-hearted or was deliberately helping
the accused persons. It is clear that the
prosecution was not interested in building a
strong case which would help the court to punish
the guilty. Similarly the charge sheets that were
filed within a month of the various glorification
incidents in 1987 was an act of mere tokenism to
assuage the movements that were demanding justice
in these cases.

Some of the glaring loopholes in the
investigation and in the charge sheets filed are
as under:

1.         Though the offence of glorification is
an independent offence, still when the offence
was related to Roop Kanwar's matter it was
incumbent upon the prosecution to produce
material  about it for the purpose of laying
solid foundation  and to give back-ground of the
offence. Strangely nothing was done with regard
to this aspect which shows utter callousness on
the part of the prosecution.

2.         The notification issued by a District
Magistrate was neither produced nor any cogent
evidence was produced to prove its publication.

3.         The First Information Report was sent
to the Court after three days without any
explanation and this FIR also did not contain the
names of the accused. ( the  FIR is sent in 24
hours of it being filed ).

4.         The District Magistrate who issued the
Notification was also not produced as a witness.

5.         In spite of the Judgment of the
Rajasthan High Court no extra efforts were taken
by the Prosecution to produce material and
evidence with regard to the offence under section
6(3) of the Ordinance. The judgment of the High
Court should have altered the prosecution as to
what  material was required and when the matter
was remanded by the Supreme Court for retrial it
was the opportunity for the prosecution to cover
that weakness which was  not done.

6.         The photographs which were taken at
the time of the public meeting were not proved
according to legal requirements.

7.         The concerned witnesses were also not
produced to prove the news items and photos
published in the news papers.

8.         Though the speeches in the public
meeting were tape recorded still the tapes were
neither produced with the Challan nor they were
proved according to the legal requirement when
ultimately  they were made available to the Court.

9.         The transcript of the tape recording
was also not proved by the person who did it.

10.       The statement under section 161 were also recorded after much delay.

11.       That identification parade was also not
held for the purpose of identifying the accused
by the witnesses.

12.       That the Public Relation Officer and
employee of the Radio Station were produced as
witnesses but without any official record.

13.       That it is not understandable as to why
the assembly of people in all these cases was not
declared unlawful even when the District
Magistrate had accused Notification under section
6(3) of the Ordinance.

14.       That perhaps this is one of the rarest
cases where high ranking officers responsible for
law and order turned hostile. They include Add.
District Magistrate, Sub Divisional Magistrate,
Sub Inspector, Asst. Sub Inspector and other
police men also. The State Govt. had not  taken
any action against them. This itself is enough to
erode the faith of the public in the intention
and capability of the law and order machinery and
the State government.

15.       The judgment shows that even at the
time of final arguments, the prosecution did not
present its points well neither on the factual
nor on the legal aspect of the case.

Our demands to the Chief Minster of Rajasthan

1. We feel on that the basis of the above facts
the Government of Rajasthan must file an appeal
in the Rajasthan High Court. The limitation
period will finish on 30th April and thus the
appeal must be filed in this time frame.

2. We also feel that action needs to be taken
against all those official witnesses who turned
hostile. Some of them are Nar Hari Sharma (ADM),
Gyan Prakash Shukla (SDM Amer), Shukam chand (ADM
Neem Ka Thana ), Madho Lal ( police photographer
), Bhoop Singh (ASI), Nathu Singh (Head Constable
), Noor Mohammed ( RAS), Nathu Ram ( ASI ),
Prabhu Dayal (SI, Behror ) Ram Niwas( RPS, SHO
Adarsh Nagar ), Satish Kumar ( Bhilwara SHO),
Sawar Mal ( constable), Chagan lal (SHO, Nagar
Nigam, Jaipur), Prabhu Singh (SI, Patan Sikar ).

3. We also feel that the 18 other cases that are
undergoing trial need to be conducted not with
just one PP but a support group of legal experts.
Thus a committee needs to be constituted to lead
the prosecution with strength.

Please be in touch with us for more information.

We are,

Women's Rehabilitation Group, Rajasthan
University Women's Association, National
Federation of Indian women, All India Democratic
Women's Association, All India Progressive
women's Association, Mahila Prakoshta- All India
State Government Employees Association, National
Muslim Women's Welfare Society, People's Union
for Civil Liberties, Vividha - Women's
Documentation and Resource Centre, Bharat Gyan
Vigyan Samiti, Academy of Socio Legal Studies,
Vishakha-Women's Group for Education and
Research, Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan,
Rajasthan Mazdoor Kisan Morcha, Urmul network,
Maila Jan Adhikar Samiti (Ajmer), Sasvika Ajmer,
Sathin Karamchari Sangh, Janwadi Lekhak Sangh,
Jan Vichar Manch.Lok Adhikar network.

on behalf of the Mahila Atyachar Virodhi Jan Andolan, Rajasthan

Contact Addresses: c/o Kavita Srivastava & Renuka
Pamecha, 76 Shanti Niketan Colony,Kisan Marg,
Jaipur[...], Nisha Sidhu, c/o Kumaranand Hall,
Jaipur. [...] Laad Kumari Jain & Bina Agrawal,
c/o Shakti Stambh, B-182, Mangal
Marg,Jaipur-302015[...]

People's Initiative to defeat BJP in elections 2004

Academicians, writers and activists met at VP
House on 19 March to consider the initiation of a
citizens' campaign to defeat the BJP which has
benefitted electorally because of divided secular
vote. The following issues were discussed in the
meeting:

THE CONTEXT

The 2004 Election is perhaps the most significant
ever in view of the grave danger to the very
economic, political and cultural fabric of India.
A BJP victory will enable the RSS to further
consolidate its position and control over the
nation. It is the responsibility of the
democratic sections of the intelligentsia to
resist this outcome.

The RSS has implemented its programme via the NDA
government because of the electoral gains made by
the BJP in the last two general elections. The
division of the secular vote has contributed
significantly to these gains in many
constituencies. In fact, the BJP itself has not
got more than 24% of the popular vote. In those
areas where secular vote is again likely to be
divided, a peoples' initiative is urgently needed.

The INITIATIVE

It was felt that the initiative can be planned at
two levels - national, and at the constituency
(even segment of constituency) level.

At the national level, the target to be
challenged is the RSS - its character,
organisation and mode of activity being
subversive both of the Indian constitution and
democracy. Signature campaigns, media inputs in
national and regional papers and magazines, and
posters etc.

Campaign could be initiated with a Press
conference on March 30, the anniversary of the
1920 campaign against British imperialism which
in Delhi saw an unprecedented hindu-muslim unity.

At the constituency level, immediately the
electoral arithmetic is to be gone into so that
constituencies where an intervention can be
successful in bringing about `unity from below'
to ensure anti-BJP vote is consolidated behind
specific candidates and the BJP is defeated.

It was felt that local activists and groups, and
persons of influence in the community/ areas
should be identified in the selected
constituencies. Sections most affected by the
communal agenda of the RSS/ Sangh parivar, and by
the WTO-dictated economic policies of the
government (minorities, dalits, tribals, rural/
urban poor, lower middle class) should be
identified and focused on.

Supply of material to the regional media,
exposure of the BJP/RSS will also help in
stemming the de-moralisation of local activists,
communities and provide talking points to
challenge the disinformation campaign of the
Sangh Parivar. The meeting was hopeful that
similar initiatives could be taken up in other
parts of the country.

MEETING TO FINALISE INITIAL PHASE OF THE
PROGRAMME WILL BE HELD ON 23 MARCH, 2004 AT 8
VITHALBHAI PATEL HOUSE, RAFI MARG AT 5 P.M.

PLEASE MAKE THE EFFORT TO ATTEND.

NIRMALANGSHU MUKHERJI, MADHU PRASAD, ANIL NAURIA,
NANDITA NARAIN, JAVED NAQUI, ZAHOOR SIDDIQUI,
V.K. TRIPATHI AND OTHERS.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
The complete SACW archive is available at:
bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative, provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW:  snipurl.com/sacip
See also associated site: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org