SACW | 03 -4 March 2004

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Mar 3 18:42:02 CST 2004

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  3-4 March,  2004
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan-India: Stranger in a familiar land  (Kamila Shamsie)
[2] UK- India: 'Hardline' charity begins in the donation box (Ashish Kumar Sen)
[3] India: Muslims as poster boys (Praful Bidwai)
[4] India: What would a Hindu state do that the secular state has not
done already? (Pratap Bhanu Mehta)
[5] Can India 'shine' under Hindutva? (Asghar Ali Engineer)

--------------

[1]

The Guardian (UK)
February 18, 2004

Stranger in a familiar land

While the governments of Pakistan and India are struggling to resolve
their differences, the people of the two countries have more in
common than they might imagine, as Pakistani novelist Kamila Shamsie
discovered when she went to work in Madras

As with so many things to do with India and Pakistan, trouble started
well before it had any business doing so. When I set about getting a
visa to go to Madras (or Chennai as its now officially called) in
order to spend a week as writer-in-residence at Stella Maris college,
I imagined that my first stumbling block would be in fulfilling the
requirements of the visa application. But as it turned out, getting
hold of the visa office in Islamabad was a mini-saga in itself. When
I finally dialled the correct number, a fax machine picked up.
Undaunted, I wrote a letter asking for details of the visa
application process and attempted to fax it across. But this time, no
fax machine picked up - there was only the ringing of the telephone.
I almost gave up right there; this is a metaphor, I decided.
Pakistani phones Indian and gets a fax machine. Indian hears ringing
phone, answers it to speak to Pakistani, and gets an incoming fax.
The desire to communicate is there, but the machinery won't allow it.

It was to see if the metaphor could stand up to scrutiny that I
dialled the number a third time, and got through to a human being.
And so it was that a few days later I found myself in Islamabad's
"diplomatic enclave" (to enter the enclave you must board a bus which
lets you off at your embassy of choice. The Indian embassy is the
closest to the entrance, but it's also the last stop on the route.
This, too, is a metaphor). In the end, the officials duly stamped my
passport with a visa for Bombay and Madras (Pakistan and India don't
give each other's nationals visas for the entire country, only for
select cities within the country). And so on February 6 I found
myself in Bombay, where I was to spend two days with friends on my
way to Madras.

Nothing had prepared me for Bombay. I don't mean the extremes of its
extremes - though its wealth and its poverty are of an acuteness, and
exist at an adjacency to each other, that are startling even to
someone from Karachi. Simply, I had never been somewhere so
completely unfamiliar that still managed to exude such a sense of
familiarity. I knew, of course, that Bombay, like Karachi, was an
overcrowded, industrial port city, with colonial architecture
dominating certain parts of town, and that a distance of just over
500 miles separated them. But it is quite something else to be
confronted with the reality of the fact.

It struck me most forcibly one evening as I was sitting on the long
verandah of the Bombay Gymkhana - almost identical to the long
verandah of the Karachi Gymkhana - and, as evening descended, a cool
breeze raced in from the sea, and carried away the heat of the
afternoon. It's one of my favourite things in Karachi, the evening
sea breeze that transforms a hot day, and to find it in Bombay was
like meeting, for the first time, the sibling of someone you love and
in that stranger's features encountering utterly beloved expressions.

But it gets stranger. It was not only Karachi that I was reminded of
in Bombay. In the architecture of some of its streets, it is London.
In its frenzy, in the ultra-coolness of its ultra-coolness and in the
constraints of geography that make it grow upward rather than
outward, it is New York. And so there were moments in Bombay when it
almost seemed possible to believe myself in a dream in which the
three cities in which I had spent the previous year all came together
in one place, and yet that one place was nothing like any of those
other places at all.

When you are in a place that is partly familiar, your attention is
drawn more than ever to the ways in which it is utterly alien. So it
was with me and Bombay. The statues, for instance, took me entirely
by surprise. In all my travels, I had never stopped to consider that
in Karachi we have no statues, but seeing the ones in Bombay made me
aware for the first time that, in my home town, our monuments are
fountains or swords or arid mountaintops in the midst of a landslide
- to commemorate Pakistan's first successful nuclear test in 1998;
when I first saw it, I didn't know whether to laugh or weep - but
never people. Perhaps, I thought, what I sensed in Bombay was just a
microcosm of what India and Pakistan encounter with each other: a
constant movement between finding intimacy amid strangeness and
difference buried within the heart of similarity.

But then I went to Madras. And there, I found nothing of metaphor and
dream - just a city that clearly belonged to the same region of the
world as Karachi, and no more. In Madras you can't help being aware
at all times that you are in southern India - and that, as a
Pakistani, most of your associations with India are with northern
India. The food, the languages, the topography were all distinct
enough from the world I have grown up in that I was able simply to be
there without overlaying images of Karachi on to any part of it.

For many of the students at Stella Maris college, as well as for many
of the faculty, I was the first Pakistani they had met, and they were
immensely curious (and never less than utterly warm and hospitable).
One day I asked a hall full of students which country in southern
Asia they felt the strongest association with. I expected many to say
Sri Lanka - Madras is, after all, the capital of Tamil Nadu, so it
seemed natural to think there would be an affinity with the Tamils in
Sri Lanka - but to my vast surprise, the entire hall called out
"Pakistan". "Why not Sri Lanka?" I asked. "Because Pakistan used to
be the same country as India," someone offered. "So was Bangladesh,"
I said. "Do you feel the same affinity there?" No, they all said, not
at all.

Afterwards, one of the teachers told me that there are many people in
Madras who identify with the Sri Lankan Tamils, but not so many in
the younger generation, since they don't remember the Sri Lankan
civil war at its height in the 80s. But partition was in the 40s, I
thought afterwards. This idea of affinity can't just be about a
historical past - particularly not in Madras, which remained almost
entirely untouched by the events of partition. It is our two nations'
official state of enmity, I'm sure, that keeps us so connected - you
have only to look at both countries' defence budgets to see how much
force we exert on each others' lives. That flexing of military and
rhetorical muscle at the same time ties us together and keeps us from
really knowing each other.

That same afternoon I was having an informal lunch with a group of
students and one of them finally mentioned the K-word, which no one
had thus far uttered. "Is Kashmir your Kashmir or our Kashmir?" she
said. "It's the Kashmiris' Kashmir," I replied, and was surprised by
the degree of assent around me. But one of the students said, "I
think of Pakistan as our Pakistan." The girls around her hushed her.
"Don't say that in front of her," one of them whispered. The girl
looked at me as though to say she meant no offence but was simply
stating a fact. "We were the same country," she said. "Yes," I said.
"We were. A while ago." A few minutes later another of the girls
said, "We didn't know what to expect when we heard you were coming.
We thought you'd be all -" and she made a gesture of someone covered
up from head to toe. Then she pointed to my V-necked kurta with its
rolled-up sleeves. "But you look just like us." I knew then that I
was to them what Bombay had been to me - something far more familiar
than anticipated.

Back in my hotel that evening, I ran into one of the women in
housekeeping who asked me where I was from. "Karachi," I said, and
could see that she wasn't quite able to place the name. "Your mother
tongue is Hindi?" she asked, which I already understood as a
shorthand for asking me if I were from northern India. "Urdu," I
replied. There was a moment's silence and then, "Karachi is on the
Pakistan side of the border?" "Yes." "What, in Pakistan itself?"
"Yes." I still can't stop thinking of the way she phrased her
questions, as though, in her mind, there existed a place on the
Pakistan side of the border that was not Pakistan itself.

Now back in Karachi, I find that the part of me which writes fiction
is utterly captivated by this idea - a city that is the border itself
rather than existing within either nation - and in my imagining, the
material of which that city, that border, is built dissolves into
abstraction or transforms into impenetrable steel as contexts shift
around it from one moment to the next.

Asia Times (Hong Kong)
Mar 3, 2004

'Hardline' charity begins in the donation box
By Ashish Kumar Sen
WASHINGTON - For the second time in less than two years, an in-depth
recent report has been released providing in detail links between
charities based in the West and militant Hindu organizations in India.
The latest report, "In Bad Faith? British Charity and Hindu
Extremism", has been published by Awaaz, a London-based secular
network. According to the report, a significant portion of funds
collected in the name of humanitarian causes is being spent on
schools run by the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a hardline
Hindu organization whose philosophy is intolerant of other religions
and which advocates Hindutva - a militant brand of Hinduism.
In New Delhi, an RSS spokesman dismissed the allegations as "wild and
false". "The whole report smacks of a sinister conspiracy to defame
Hindu organizations," said RSS spokesman Ram Madhav. "We take strong
objection to the propaganda unleashed by persons and organizations
hither to unknown against the RSS and organizations connected with it
like the Sewa Bharati [a fundraiser] with wild and false allegations
of misuse of funds received from abroad."
In the past, independent human rights groups including the New
York-based Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and India's
National Human Rights Commission have reported that RSS projects
directed at tribal and lower caste groups in Gujarat played a
critical role in fomenting communal riots in 2002.
The Awaaz report claims that the RSS's front organizations collected
millions of pounds from the British public, which was unaware of the
charities' links to Hindu militants. A majority of these funds were
collected by the Leicester-based and registered charity, Hindu
Swayamsevak Sangh (HSS) and its fundraising arm, Sewa International
(UK).
The HSS, an overseas branch of the RSS, actively promotes its
ideology of turning India into a Hindu nation.
Sewa International (UK), though not a registered charity, became a
high profile fundraising organization after the Gujarat earthquake in
2001. Allegedly using the HSS' charity registration number, its India
Quake Appeal raised around US$4.2 million. The British public and
patrons of Sewa International were apparently at the time unaware of
its connections to the RSS.
Lord Adam Patel, member of the House of Lords and patron of Sewa
International, resigned from his latter affiliation last year after
learning of the group's links to RSS. Speaking at the release of the
report in the House of Lords on February 26, Lord Patel said that
Sewa International had "cheated me and cheated the residents of the
UK".
"Like Lord Adam Patel, people have been shocked at the level of
deceit carried out by Sewa International," said Suresh Grover, an
Awaaz board member.
London-based Charity Commission is investigating the HSS and Sewa
International. Last year, the Indian government denied visas to
investigators from the commission who wanted to travel to India as
part of their inquiry. Confirming that the commission had been
"refused" visas, Rebecca Drake, a spokesperson said: "We have
contacted them [the government of India] to ask them to reconsider
their decision and are awaiting a response."
Another Charity Commission spokesperson said: "We are looking into
potential links between the charity [HSS] and extremist organizations
in India and alleged payments to these groups by the charity. We are
looking at the relationship between the HSS and Sewa International,
and also the administration of the funds that were collected for the
Gujarat Earthquake Appeal."
Many are unaware of the extent of the political influence the HSS has
cultivated within the UK. "It's a striking fact that as prime
minister, Margaret Thatcher put a garland on [RSS founder Keshav
Baliram ] Hedgewar's bust," said Awaaz spokesperson Chetan Bhatt.
Explaining the lack of public outcry, Bhatt said: "That's part of the
British didactic multiculturalism ... people don't want to be labeled
racist."
According to Grover, the main goal of the HSS and Sewa International
is to "channel money to extremist RSS fronts in India, despite their
claim to be non-sectarian, non-religious, non-political and purely
humanitarian organizations". Funds raised by Sewa International run
into millions of dollars.
While the report links the HSS, Sewa International and the Kalyan
Ashram Trust to RSS-sponsored violence in India, Grover said:
"Although we cannot say pounds collected here were used to buy guns
in India, we can say with confidence that the money was used to build
hatred against a minority. Most donors would be horrified if they
knew the nature, history and ideas of the RSS," he added.
The Hostel-Dispensary-Cultural Center for Children and Nurseries, an
affiliate of a US-based charity implicated in a similar report,
states in its literature: "The Muslims are also trying to create
chaos in these communities, either by enticing these tribals or by
raping the tribal girls by force. The Kalyan Ashram at Sidumbar
[Gujarat] is trying to put a stop to these activities of Muslims as
well as Christians ... The workers of Kalyan Ashrams are required to
give a tough fight to the Christian missionaries because they keep on
harassing the local residents."
According to the Awaaz report, the village of Chapredi, rebuilt after
the Gujarat earthquake, included an important dedication plaque
glorifying the RSS, its founder and a key RSS affiliate. A Hindu
temple topped with saffron flags was built in the village. No
evidence was found of Sewa International funding the rebuilding of
mosques or churches, though many of these were destroyed in the
earthquake.
Some funds meant for earthquake reconstruction were also allegedly
channeled to the RSS's Lok Kalyan Samiti in Chanasma village, which
has been directly implicated in the violent "cleansing" of all
Muslims from the village and the illegal occupation of premises and
land belonging to the statutory Muslim Waqf board. Another RSS
project, Jankalyan Samiti, was allegedly the recipient of Sewa
International (UK) earthquake funds. The Samiti's Maharashtra branch
has been involved in violence against Christians.
The report makes a pointed reference to the fact that despite these
charities' claims of being non-sectarian and non-discriminatory, Sewa
International (UK), the HSS (UK) and the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP -
World Hindu Forum) did not launch any humanitarian appeals following
the Gujarat violence in 2002. The majority of victims of that tragedy
were Muslims.
Saying that the Sewa Bharati was governed by Indian laws, Madhav
added: "Every single penny received by Sewa Bharati from within or
outside India is judiciously spent on the causes for which it has
been collected."
The Awaaz report is not the first to expose links between Hindutva
groups and violence. In 2002, a Channel Four investigation in the UK
documented the communal ideology espoused at Vanvasi Kalyan ashrams
in India. Last year, the Financial Times reported a similar story.
The Madhya Pradesh government has revoked Sewa Bharti's license
because of its alleged involvement in violence against Christians.
The Awaaz report claims a large proportion of the $484,000 raised by
Sewa International for Orissa cyclone relief in 1999 enabled the
expansion of major RSS affiliates. "Funds were used for building RSS
schools. The RSS and its leaders were glorified. The HSS said Orissa
cyclone funds would be channeled through RSS volunteers and given to
organizations which get their work force from the RSS," the report
says.
Bhatt says that the British public was "duped" into believing they
were contributing towards relief efforts for victims of the Orissa
cyclone and the Gujarat earthquake.
Grover added: "We do not think it is a coincidence that the two
Indian states where Hindutva networks, violence and hatred have grown
phenomenally in recent years both had natural and human tragedies
followed by massive amounts of funding to Hindutva organizations from
overseas."
Almost a quarter of Sewa International earthquake funds raised from
the British public were for building sectarian, highly controversial
RSS schools. "These schools are mainly run by the RSS's Vidya
Bharati, whose teaching material has been condemned by India's
statutory National Council for Educational Research and Training as
blatantly promoting bigotry, fanaticism and hatred."
Madhav claimed that the Sewa Bharati had constructed 124 schools, and
that 49 of these had minorities on their rolls. "Sewa Bharati
[Gujarat] has served the minorities without any discrimination during
the relief activities," he added.
The UK report echoes findings by US-based groups in November 2002.
The Campaign to Stop Funding Hate (CSFH) put out an exhaustive
document linking a Maryland-based charity, the India Development and
Relief Fund (IDRF), to the RSS. The authors of that report, "The
Foreign Exchange of Hate", alleged IDRF was sending money to
organizations implicated in violence against Christians and Muslims
in India.
"The British report corroborates the assertion of the FxH [The
Foreign Exchange of Hate] report that front organizations raise money
in the Indian expatriate communities, ostensibly for the purposes of
development and education, but channel these funds towards political
agendas that are inimical to a tolerant, secular and plural society,"
said a CSFH spokesperson.
Linking the two reports, a spokesperson for Awaaz said: "Sewa
International is the UK equivalent of the American charity, the India
Development and Relief Fund; both organizations work towards the same
purpose - to fund, promote and glorify extremist RSS fronts in India."
In a response to the CSFH report, "Factual Response to the Hate
Attack on the IDRF," the "Friends of India" refuted charges against
the charity saying: "Here is what a rational individual should ask:
Is being for something always being against something else? Does
loving your wife lead to hating other women? Is loving your nation an
indication of hating other countries? Is helping those closest to you
an attempt at undermining others?"
"Ordinarily, Hindutva is understood as a way of life or a state of
mind and is not to be equated with or understood as religious Hindu
fundamentalism," the authors of the "Factual Response" said.
"The response of the HSS has always been to simply deny all
allegations rather than deal with specific charges," said Bhatt.
"They never answer the key allegations which have been made to them
repeatedly - which is that they are RSS fronts, they are raising
money for the RSS and its affiliates, they are funding organizations
which are linked to violence, and they are accountable to the British
public from which they have raised this money."
The Awaaz report has asked the UK Charity Commissioner to withdraw
charity status of the HSS (UK), the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (UK) and
the Kalyan Ashram Trust.
In New Delhi, Madhav remains confident that his organization will
ride out the storm. "Similar futile efforts were made last year also
by some groups in the US to denigrate and defame Hindu organizations
working for the welfare of the people of our country," he said.
"These campaigns have not harmed us earlier and they are not going to
do so now either."
Ashish Kumar Sen is a Washington DC-based journalist.

  The News International (Pakistan)
March 4, 2004

Muslims as poster boys

Praful Bidwai

So the Bharatiya Janata Party is doing with great gusto what it
always damned its opponents for doing: namely, cultivating minority
'vote-banks'. Last week, it organised a convention in Delhi with
hired crowds of Muslims, and inducted a few leaders from their
community into its ranks. At the convention, Atal Behari Vajpayee,
ostentatiously wearing a green turban, strained to assure the
audience that the BJP has nothing against the minorities. He said the
Indian Muslims' best bet is to befriend and support the BJP.

Most Muslims would see this appeal as akin to the menacing statement
issued by the RSS from Bangalore exactly two years ago, immediately
after the Gujarat massacre: "Let Muslims understand that their real
safety lies in the goodwill of the majority. Muslims will be safe...
provided they win the goodwill of the majority community."

Nothing in the BJP's ideology, its basic instincts, its policies and
its actual practice can reassure the 180 million people who
constitute India's non-Hindu citizens (or, for that matter, the vast
majority of Hindus, who are secular) that the BJP has executed even a
minor shift in its majoritarian orientation, its Islamophobia and its
hatred of non-Hindus. The BJP-led government's 'concessions' to the
Muslims have all been of a token nature: the Haj subsidy's
continuation, a Muslim President, iftar parties.

Had the BJP even had a scintilla of concern for Indian Muslims, it
would have acknowledged the seriousness of the problems afflicting
them: a literacy rate of under 40 percent (national average 62),
landlessness (51 percent), unemployment or underemployment (a
horrific 62 percent for males). It has done nothing to address their
real needs - health, education and employment - or to increase their
representation in government jobs (2 to 4 percent), work
participation (10 percent) or legislatures (less than half their
ratio in the population). On the contrary, the BJP chides and taunts
Muslims for their backwardness and poverty - as if they willed it!

However, unconvincing the BJP's appeal to the Muslim masses, it has
drawn in a handful of Muslim leaders. The most prominent is Arif
Mohammed Khan, a former central minister. Najma Heptullah, Deputy
Chairperson of the Rajya Sabha, and a Congress member, is also likely
to defect to the BJP. But these are individual mavericks. They have
no base in the Muslim community. Their defections are driven by
narrow, personal calculations. Heptullah won't even get elected to a
municipality on her own. She has nothing to show for herself, except
her lineage from Maulana Abul Kalam Azad - without his intellectual
or political legacy. She was lucky to have been elected to the Rajya
Sabha four times, thanks to the Congress.

As for Khan, he is a cynical politician who used the Shah Bano issue
to build a pedestal for himself. He has been through numerous
parties. After the Bofors scandal broke out, he joined V.P. Singh's
Jan Morcha, but betrayed its greatest source of appeal: probity in
public life. The worst instance of this was his grounding in 1990 of
the entire Airbus A-320 fleet of Indian Airlines as Civil Aviation
Minister for nine long months. The flight-ban was lifted only after
the European consortium, paid a huge, shall we say, 'consideration'.
It would be a miracle if Khan weren't a beneficiary of this.

Khan knows he has no following worth the name and not much of a
political future. He is just selling his identity. He won't be able
to garner Muslim votes for the BJP. But he can cause some damage, if
he goes to Gujarat and campaigns for Narendra Milosevic Modi, the
architect of Independent India's worst pogrom of a minority. In 2002,
Khan spent three months in Gujarat, apparently helping the victims
with relief. He can now stab them in the back. That way, he can
become 'even-handed'.

In doing so, Khan would only be following the perverse logic that
drove him towards the BJP in the first place: nobody is secular in
India (false); therefore, one may as well go with the worst of
hardcore anti-secularists! This is like saying that in an unfair
world, you must not promote balance, but unfairness and injustice!

The BJP's calculation in recruiting Khan and his ilk is
straightforward and cynical. There are about 100 Lok Sabha
constituencies, where the Muslim vote is 15 to 20 percent, or more.
But the BJP probably won't gain a single Muslim vote thanks to its
latest 'catch'. Few Muslims will be taken in by its 'poster-boy'
tokenism. But will the BJP gain any Hindu votes? That, too, seems
unlikely. The BJP's hardcore supporters will vote for its Muslim
candidates - because they are committed to Hindutva, anyway. As for
the more uncommitted or floating Hindu vote, this kind of tokenism
won't work. It is just too crude.

Ordinary Indians, with their robust native intelligence, know how to
distinguish between genuine gestures of goodwill and contrived,
tokenist or dishonest ones. That's why Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mulayam Singh Yadav had to withdraw his ill-advised move to close
schools at mid-day on Fridays to enable Muslim children to offer
namaz. The most vociferous protests came from the Muslims,
themselves. They clearly saw the measure as an electoral ploy. It
didn't arise from the community's needs, in which education for boys
and girls scores higher than prayers. The move would have been seen
as partisan, and would have boomeranged on the Muslims.

The BJP, then, is unlikely to gain votes or respectability by
inducting a handful of opportunist, discredited Quislings (named
after a renegade Norwegian officer who collaborated, like Marshal
Petain in France, with the Nazis). But what of the Quislings,
themselves? They, too, are soon likely to see their own comeuppance.
There is little space in the BJP for non-Hindus. It had just one
Muslim MP in the last Lok Sabha. He was its only Muslim minister. The
other token figure, Akhtar Abbas Naqvi, is only a fourth-rank
spokesman. Its original 'poster-boy' Sikander Bakht just died as
Kerala's governor. Despite his loyalty, he never rose high in the
BJP. What the BJP wants is not Muslim leaders, only mannequins. And
mannequins are dispensable; they are usually discarded -
unceremoniously.

Hindutva's new mannequins won't persuade anyone that the BJP is
moving towards 'normalising' itself or becoming a 'mainstream' party,
which broadly accepts India's plural, multicultural, multi-religious
character. To this day, the BJP hasn't given up its Ram Janmabhoomi
obsession, leave alone apologised for the Babri demolition. Its
supporters and affiliates continue to occupy Muslim prayer-grounds,
graveyards and shrines like Baba-Budangiri in Karnataka and Kamal
Maula Masjid in Madhya Pradesh. They lay claim to 30,000 Muslim
monuments, including the Dargah Sharif at Ajmer.

The BJP doggedly refuses to cut the umbilical cord with the RSS or
modify the core-ideology of creating a Hindu-supremacist society. It
is India's only party, barring to an extent the Shiv Sena, which
remains committed to radically altering the character of Indian
society by destroying its plurality, and by dangerously mixing
religion with politics. India's Muslims would have to be suicidal to
support such a party. And that's one thing they are not.

The Telegraph (India)
March 04, 2004

WHY THE BJP IS CALM
- What would a Hindu state do that the secular state has not done already?
Pratap Bhanu Mehta

The author is visiting professor of government, Harvard University

Just as a supposedly socialist constitution does not prevent India,
except at the margins, from being configured into a capitalist
economy, it could be argued that a secular constitution does not
prevent India from being a Hindu state. It has become customary to
write the history of the modern Indian state in something like the
following terms: India, after Independence, sought to create a
secular state. There is some dispute about what this secularism
entailed. This project entailed that there would be no state
religion, but it left the precise boundaries of state involvement
with religion open. Whe- ther such a secular state could thrive in a
society not itself fully in the throes of secularization was also an
open question. But there was no doubt that this secular state was the
quintessential project of modern India, the basis of the state's
legitimacy.

Hindu nationalism was the first powerful ideology to openly challenge
this objective, and the extent to which it has managed to compromise
the state's secular credentials is the object of fierce debate. But
does the narrative of Hindutva versus secularism adequately capture
the ideological trajectory of the Indian state?

Ask yourself a question with graceless frankness. What would a Hindu
state do that the secular state has not already done? The Indian
state has used state power to consolidate Hindu identity in more ways
than one can list. The state, for the first time, created a
territorially unified body of Hindu law, transcending numerous
regional divisions. Supreme Court judges not only promulgate public
purposes; they act as authoritative interpreters of Hindu religion,
defining what is essential to it and what is not. The state runs
thousands of temples across the country, appropriated in the name of
social reform or financial propriety.

Cow protection, an issue which many think is the most symbolically
potent of Hindu demands, is allowed in many states. The entire burden
of anti-conversion legislation, acquiesced to by all parties and the
Supreme Court, is to privilege Hinduism. Anti-conversion legislation
privileges Hinduism in its interpretation of the relationship between
religion and propagation; it privileges Hinduism in its attempts to
protect it from other religions, in the way it seeks to eliminate
competition for the allegiances of those who might be the target of
conversion: Dalits and Adivasis, and so forth. Rather than
eliminating religious identity from law, the state constitutes these
identities in legal terms.

Even the so-called reform of Hindu law undertaken during the Fifties
can be given another interpretation. It was not so much that a
secular state was reforming a religious law, an alien imposition on
an otherwise recalcitrant religion. Rather the reform process was an
example of Hindus collectively exercising their authority as Hindus,
deciding on what the laws should be. It was not so much a secular
state reforming religion, as it was Hindus exercising
self-determination, in a somewhat progressive direction. That Hindus
reformed their laws democratically does not make those laws any less
Hindu. The fact that the reform was carried out through a process of
democratic representation, was a result of the fact that Hindus chose
to resolve their disputes over who exactly had authority over its
laws democratically.

Even in terms of public representation, it could be argued that India
has been more like a Hindu state. Minority representation in public
life has been dwindling, but the curious thing is the asymmetry of
legitimacy that religious leaders have in politics. It is quite all
right for mahants and pandits, sadhvis and gurus to participate in
politics, even contest and win elections, not to mention run
governments, without in any sense attenuating their identity. On the
other hand maulvis or priests in politics at this juncture would be
quite a hazardous affair. Most of them are confined to issuing odd
statements here and there, but the idea that they could enter
politics qua religious leaders would be quite anathema. We can put
the matter this way: it is more legitimate to be a Hindu leader and
be in politics than it is to be a religious leader of any other sect
and participate in politics. Has not the representative space been
defined in Hindu terms?

It is true that the state cannot preach the Hindu religion, but it
can do the next best thing. It can write textbooks that give a
particular version of Indian history, promulgated by a set of Hindus
who have access to power (justified by the canard that the Marxists
did the same thing). Or better still, it can not provide any robust
state education in Dalit and tribal areas, so that these remain at
the mercy of schools inspired by the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. And
if the government of Rajasthan is to be followed, direct preaching in
state schools may not be far off. It also has to be admitted that
state power is complicit in turning what should have been, at most, a
private dispute in property law, into a religious dispute and it is
only a matter of time before a temple is built at Ayodhya.

So what would a Hindu state do that the Indian state is not doing
already? Given the character of Hinduism, it would be difficult to
anoint an official god for this state. If we pick one that has any
form, the protagonists of different gods will be fighting one
another. Saivites and Vaishnavites can partake of the same ultimate
reality when political symbolism is not at stake; if political power
comes into the picture, they will be, as they often have been in
medieval India, at each others throats. So, for the sake of Hindu
unity, we cannot have an official god.

You might protest. I am going too quickly. Has not the Indian state
guaranteed freedom of religion? Has it not been solicitous towards
minorities, granting them supposedly separate laws, subsidizing their
Haj pligrimages, sometimes tolerating their loudspeakers and so
forth? This may be true enough, but it is never entirely clear why
this is incompatible with the Indian state acting as a Hindu state
would. Even in these acts of toleration there is an assertion of
majority identity. It is made very clear that the majority, if they
can be called as such, grants these privileges; if the minorities get
too demanding, we will be within our rights to admonish them.

Of course, Hindus can grant a significant space to minorities; it is
to their credit that they often have. But the state makes sure that
these grants are on Hindu terms. And besides, anti-minority
communalism is, in principle, only contingently related to Hindu
nationalism. In principle, you can be secular and think that
minorities are traitors to India's territorial integrity, or you
could want a state to be solicitous of Hindu sentiment and grant
space to other religions as well.

So we remain stuck at the question. What would a Hindu state do that
is not already being done? It is true that the state did not protect
the Kashmiri Pandits. But their plight was as much a result of the
Centre exercising undue proprietary rights over elections in Kashmir,
in the name of the interests of the rest of us Hindus, as it was a
failure of the state to take Kashmiri Hindus seriously. Secularism
has become to Hindu nationalism what socialism in our Constitution is
to capitalism: form without content.

This argument can have its comforts. One might be able to say to the
Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the RSS, "Calm down, you don't need to
agitate. India already is close to being a Hindu state. You are
fighting to get something you already possess. That is why the
Bharatiya Janata Party is so calm these days. What else do you want?
Do you want it also to be an extremist Hindu state?" But then we were
reminded in the last couple of weeks that there are other big battles
to be fought. As Uma Bharti has reminded us, India is pretty close to
being a Hindu state. The big question before us now is whether it
will be a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian Hindu state.

Dawn (Pakistan)

Can India 'shine' under Hindutva?

By Asghar Ali Engineer

The media campaign launched by the NDA government showing "India is
Shining" is immoral as crores of rupees of public money is being
spent on it and the purpose is certainly not merely to inform the
public about the 'achievements' of the ruling coalition but to win
forthcoming elections.
Is India shining? Well, it all depends on how one looks at it. Even
from economic perspective such claim is totally untenable. In a
country where millions are unemployed, hundreds are committing
suicide because of poverty and hunger and millions of children drop
out from school before reaching even 5th standard, how can one claim
India is shining?
But we are more concerned here with communal situation under the NDA
rule than the economic situation. India despite its bewildering
diversity has remained united, thanks to our commitment to secular
polity.
Secularism in India means that state remains neutral to all religions
and see that religious majority does not reduce our democracy to
majoritarianism and minorities are protected and are free to follow
their religion without any let and hindrance.
However, India has suffered very badly on this score under the NDA.
India can politically shine only if its secular polity is not
tampered with. Can India shine politically when its main ruling party
remains tied to organisations like RSS, VHP and Bajrang Dal, which
are avowedly anti-minorities? No less a person than the prime
minister of India said in the crowd of RSS and BJP supporters in
Straten Island in the USA that 'RSS is my soul'.
Can there be any doubt about BJP's active connection with the RSS? Mr
L.K.Advani personally attends the RSS rally in 'Khaki chaddi' and
gives salute to RSS flag. And he does so when he is home minister of
India. What message will it send to the police force? Will police
force then be able to control communal violence impartially?
The Congress regime did not have any brilliant record of communal
peace in the 45 years of its rule. No one disputes this. But its
leaders did not have allegiance to the likes of the RSS, much less
VHP and Bajrang Dal. They did not stuff premier research bodies like
the ICHR and ICSSR (Indian Council of Historical Research and Indian
Council of Social Science Research) with those who openly deride
secularism. These two premier research bodies were controlled during
the Congress rule by those academics whose secular credentials were
never in doubt.
But soon the NDA came to power, these organisations were captured by
the RSS and VHP supporters. It is a great tragedy that such research
bodies in social sciences be controlled by those who are avowed
opponents of secularism. Even moderate BJP person like the late Prof
M.L.Sondhi was not tolerated and the human resources ministry removed
him from chairmanship of the ICSSR.
If these organisations are to be controlled by avowed opponents of
secularism what direction social sciences would take? Social sciences
are the very basis of intellectual life of a country.
These cannot be allowed to be in the hands of those who are opposed
to our constitutional values. They are making all efforts to
undermine the secular values of the Indian constitution. How India
can remain secular under such a dispensation?
The British rulers distorted our history in order to divide us which
ultimately resulted in division of our country. The textbooks are now
being changed for the worse by the NDA hard-liners.
The so-called secular parties supporting the NDA, and keeping the BJP
in power, are also a party to these dangerous attempts to undermine
our secular values. The children are growing with a deep sense of
hatred towards minority communities.
Thus it is not only hate politics but also hate education and such an
environment of hatred and polarisation was never there before during
the 56 years of independence.
It was the BJP leadership, which raised the controversy about
secularism in early eighties describing it as a western concept
unsuitable for Indian culture and Indian society and then dubbed it
as 'pseudo-secularism' and based on 'appeasement of minorities'. A
high pitched propaganda was carried out on these grounds to build a
Hindu vote bank thus seriously damaging inter-community relations.
It was certainly the outcome of this high-pitched hate propaganda
that a communal carnage erupted in Gujarat and which put the entire
country to shame in the comity of nations.
The Ramjanambhoomi matter was raised by the BJP during the nineties
to win elections and the BJP came to power ultimately on the basis of
this hate propaganda and now it has worked out a clever strategy to
perpetuate the controversy.
While the BJP keeps on saying that construction of Ram temple is not
on the NDA agenda, the RSS, VHP and Bajrang Dal keep the issue of
temple construction alive and they raise this issue with much more
vehemence whenever elections are due in any state or in the Centre.
This time the prime minister has himself initiated his election
campaign from Ayodhya and again promising that 'give us five more
years and the temple will be constructed.' How can a 'secular'
government promise people to construct a temple or a mosque? And when
Shankaracharya of Puri tried to intervene and established contacts
with the Muslim Personal Law Board to solve the issue through a
dialogue and it was about to be resolved the RSS and VHP chiefs
stormed the Shakaracharya's place. They forced him to retreat so that
the temple issue remains alive and exploitable for votes.
Also, the issue of Uniform Civil Code, which is purely a secular
issue and pertaining to gender justice was communalized by the BJP by
adopting as 'Hindutva Agenda'.
What an irony? And do the Hindutva leaders believe in gender justice?
Are they ready to give equal rights to women? All of us know that a
secular issue like UCC was communalized by the BJP leaders only to
create anti-minority feelings among the Hindus and to damage
harmonious relations between the two communities. Earlier all women
organisations were demanding UCC but once it became Hindutva agenda
it was given up by all secular women's organisations.
And by the way can any party which feels proud of its 'Hindutva'
agenda and proclaims it publicly be trusted to run a secular state?
Can the secular constitution be safe in the hands of such a party?
Can India politically shine under a Hindutva party? Can there be
communal peace under it? The BJP used to claim that when it comes to
power there is no communal riot.
What happened in Gujarat under its rule is now a tragic episode of
our history. It will make all secularists and humanists shudder
forever. The Gujarat came close to atrocities committed by the
fascists and Nazis of Germany.
The BJP has been in power since 1999. There was not a single year
under it when India did not witness communal violence. According to
our research based on newspaper reports and other sources, the number
of riots that took place in the year 1999 was 52 in which 43 people
were killed and 248 injured.
In the year 2000, 24 riots occurred in which 91 people were killed
and 165 injured. In the year 2001, 27 riots erupted in which 56 were
killed and 158 injured.
In the year 2002, 28 communal riots were recorded (including Gujarat)
in which 1,173 persons lost their lives and 2,272 were injured
(unofficially in Gujarat alone more than 2,000 people were killed
according to private counts). And in the year 2003, 67 riots took
place in which 58 people were killed and 611 were injured.
How truthful is the claim of the BJP that no communal violence occurs
when it is in power? It is true that these riots took place in the
states where the BJP was not in power but it has an overall
responsibility in the country and in most of these riots its family
organisations like the RSS/VHP/Bajrang Dal were involved. There was
not a single year, which was riot-free under the NDA rule led by the
BJP.
Now we have reports from Madhya Pradesh that under the BJP Chief
Minister Ms. Uma Bharti an RSS Pracharak has been appointed as her
adviser with cabinet rank. She has also set up a Hanuman temple in
the courtyard of her chief ministerial bungalow.
Is secularism shining or communal darkness intensifying? Where will
all this end? Can anyone ever expect that India can remain secular
under the leadership of Sangh Parivar? The BJP is an ideological
brainchild of the RSS and has always refused to sever its umbilical
chord from its parent.
When dual membership controversy arose in 1978 (and Mr George
Fernandese, now with the BJP along with Raj Narayan and Madhu Limaye
had raised it) the Jansangh members resigned from the Janata Party
bringing down Morarji Desai government rather than resigning from the
RSS. And the RSS has consistently refused to give up its Hindu
Rashtra concept, which is in direct confrontation with the concept of
secular India.
Those who think that India can politically shine only if secularism
goes strong can never accept a dispensation in which the BJP is a
dominant partner. And the day BJP wins majority of its own one can
expect all kinds of steps to convert India into Hindu Rashtra. Then
India will never shine again. n
The writer is chairman of the Centre for Study of Society and
Secularism, Mumbai.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on matters of peace
and democratisation in South Asia. SACW is an independent &
non-profit citizens wire service run since 1998 by South Asia
Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
The complete SACW archive is available at:
bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister initiative, provides
a partial back -up and archive for SACW:  snipurl.com/sacip
See also associated site: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org