SACW | 28 Dec. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Dec 28 07:54:18 CST 2003

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  28 December,  2003
via:  www.sacw.net

[1] Pakistan: Asma Jahangir [Interview]
[2] [Interview] Former chairman of the Human
Rights Commission of Pakistan, Afrasiab Khattak
[3] Pakistan:  Vigilante groups set to stop new year festivities
[4] India: 'The Making of India' -- A seminar on the 15th anniversary of SAHMAT
[5]  Pakistan: Dr Mubarak Ali honoured
[6] India [Gujarat]: Remember this? (Kalpana Sharma)
[7] India [Waiting for Justice in Gujarat]:
- Retrial plea heads back to SC
- Best Bakery case: Ball in Gujarat government's court
-If these are the hard facts, then what other
outcome could have been expected (Gujarat rights
activists)
[8] India: Hindutva at work !:
- NGOs blame parties for riots in Hyderabad
- Following strong arm tactics by Shiv Sena
Scholar destroys own work on Shivaji
- Kerala : "Politics Of RSS Bomb Attack On BJP Leader's House
- Govt wants to shut us down, allege Liberhan panel officials

--------------

[1]

The News on Sunday
December 28, 2003
firstperson

Asma Jahangir
Striving for rights

First we need to set our own house in order. We
have a society where retrogressive, obscurantist,
extremist and sectarian elements are still
powerful. Ours is a society where women still do
not have fundamental rights and can be killed on
the pretext of honour. The question is, who will
raise a voice against these excesses?

By Abdul Sattar

Born to a politically active family in the 1950s
Pakistan, Asma Jahangir, grew up in a world
familiar with conflict, struggle and fight for
justice. Her father was himself imprisoned on
several occasions for his outspoken views, which
included denouncing the Pakistani government for
genocide during their military action in what is
now Bangladesh. Her mother--educated at a co-ed
college at a time when few Muslim women even
received higher education--also fought the
traditional system, pioneering her own clothes
business when the family's lands were confiscated
in 1967 as a result of her husband's opinions and
detention.

Given this background, it is perhaps not
surprising that Asma also embarked on a career
for justice and social change. For the past two
decades, she has been at the forefront of the
movement for women's rights, human rights and
peace in Pakistan.

Asma was not an outstanding student. She was
remembered for her strong political convictions,
her sense of justice, and her courage. In 1969,
she led a student protest against Pakistan's
military dictator Ayub Khan, risking gunfire to
climb the gate of the Governor's House to hoist a
symbolic black flag. The following year, she
risked further harassment petitioning for her
fathers' release, challenging the country's
martial law in the courts. In an unprecedented
judgment, Pakistan's courts declared military
rule unconstitutional--a landmark case in the
Sub-Continent.

It was the first of many successes that Asma was
to experience in the law courts. Having gained a
degree through private study, she later qualified
as a lawyer in 1978. Together with Hina, her
sister, who had qualified in law four years
earlier, the two sisters established the first
all-women's law firm in Pakistan in 1981. They
were also founders of the Women's Action Forum, a
pressure group campaigning against Pakistan's
discriminatory legislation, most notably against
the Evidence Law and Hudood Ordinances.

Asma became advocate of High Court in 1982 and
continued to campaign on behalf of the most
vulnerable members of society, successfully
fighting cases for victims of domestic,
fundamentalist and feudalistic violence, and the
victims of so-called 'honour killings'.

In 1986 Asma along with her sister Hina set up
AGHS Legal Aid, the first free legal aid centre
in Pakistan. In the same year, they were amongst
the founding members of the Human Rights
Commission of Pakistan, Asma serving first as
Secretary-General and later as Chair. Asma became
the Advocate of the Pakistan Supreme Court in
1992.

In 1998, United Nations Secretary-General Kofi
Annan appointed her as the UN Special Rapporteur
of the Commission on Human Rights on
extra-judicial, summary or arbitrary executions.
Since her appointment, Jahangir has visited
Albania, the former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia, Mexico, East Timor, Nepal, Turkey and
Honduras responding to the keenness of
Governments to improve the situation, while also
documenting human rights abuses.

In a recent interview with Political Economy, she
talked about various aspects of human rights
violations across the world, and particularly in
Pakistan. Excerpts follow:

PE: Despite the fact that many NGOs have been
actively working, especially for the last 15
years, there have been more flagrant violations
of human rights in the country than ever. Why?

AJ: Look, NGOs cannot replace the government and
state and if anybody thinks like that it would be
silly on his part. I think that all institutions
of the state have to be consolidated in the way
that they could deliver what they are supposed
to. At the moment, we do not have institutions,
which are independent and efficient.

The NGOs can create awareness and environment
whereby the government is forced to respect human
rights and ensure that they are not violated by
anyone in the country. I think that there has
been a lot of awareness among the masses owing to
the efforts made by the NGOs.

PE: NGOs are de-politicising our society. Please comment.

AJ: To some extent, it is true but it differs
from one NGO to another. It also depends upon the
type of work that an NGO is doing. I think that
some NGOs do not link social issues with those of
political ones. You cannot empower women
economically by giving them sewing machine only.
We should also take into consideration that ours
is a de-politicised society and many NGOs were
also created by dictators who did not want them
to politicise the society. Now you have the
people of state in NGOs.

PE: There is an impression about NGOs, including
the HRCP, that they are very mild towards the US
and the West. They criticise dictator Zia but do
not say a word against the democratic West and
the US who favoured him. What is your view?

AJ: It is incorrect to say that. In the war
against Iraq all peace-loving people came
together and opposed the US attack on the
country. The HRCP was also part of those
organisations opposing the war. We have had
people like Dr Mubashir Hasan and I A Rehman, who
strongly opposed the US policies towards
dictators. The HRCP carried out a procession
against the Zia regime on 12 February 1983 and it
also slammed the US policies aimed at supporting
Zia. It was the first procession against the
martial law regime of Zia.

Then the HRCP also criticised the measures taken
by the US government in the name of War on
Terrorism. The US supported many dictators across
the world but we cannot focus on each and every
country. We think that first we need to set our
own house in order. We have a society where
retrogressive, obscurantist, extremist and
sectarian elements are still powerful. Ours is a
society where women still do not have fundamental
rights and can be killed on the pretext of
honour. The question is, who will raise a voice
against these excesses. I think that we should
see our country first and try to resolve its
problems.

PE: You have studied the human rights record of
many states. Keeping that in view, which state do
you think is the greatest violator of human
rights?

AJ: It is difficult to say. Basically my work was
confined to extra-judicial killings, which were
more common in conflict areas like Columbia and
Chechnya. Rising crimes may also contribute to
human rights violations as it is happening in
Jamaica and Columbia. Lack of democracy may also
cause human rights violations, as is the case of
Pakistan and Myanmar (Burma); and I think that
lack of good governance in many parts of South
Asia is also responsible for rising human rights
violations.

PE: Who funds HRCP?

AJ: We receive funding from Norway, Unicef and ILO.

PE: Do the donors influence the policies of the organisation?

AJ: The HRCP is built on democratic principles.
Our agenda is set by our members. I am happy that
some of our members decided not to receive any
aid from the US.

PE: How do you view the raids in Pakistan by FBI and its arresting Pakistanis?

AJ: It is completely illegal. I think that
everything should be done in accordance with the
law.

PE: What would you say about the recently
concluded extradition treaty between the US and
Pakistan?

AJ: I have not seen it yet. So I cannot comment on it.

PE: Do you consider an extremist government a threat to human rights?

AJ: Yes, I think because by being extremist you
discriminate against those who are not like you.

PE: How can the record of human rights of the country be improved?

AJ: We as a nation should decide whether we want
a military government or democracy. If we want a
military government, there will be more human
rights violations.

PE: How do you view LFO?

AJ: It is contradictory to democratic principles
and what will the assembly do if the LFO is
accepted. Naturally the members are not there on
picnic.

PE: What difficulties did you have to face while
working with the Jeay Sindh Tarraqi Pasand Party
for the farmers jailed by the feudals in interior
Sindh?

AJ: Let me clarify that I was working with my own
people. We faced the resistance of feudals
because they always have political connections.
The democratic government would favour us
sometimes but it would also try to satisfy the
feudals. This is not the case of farmers in the
interior Sindh, the bhatta (kiln) workers in
Punjab are also leading a life of slavery. When
we liberated the farmers in interior Sindh, they
were very happy. Despite the fact that we could
not rehabilitate them, they were satisfied over
their release.

PE: What did you do for their rehabilitation?

AJ: We could not rehabilitate them because we have a breathing space.

PE: What do you say about the struggle of Okara's farmers for ownership rights?

AJ: The land does not belong to military or
Defence Ministry. Basically, it is owned by the
Punjab Government. When I went to Okara, the
administration did tried to stop me but they
could not succeed.

PE: How do you view the Industrial Relations Ordinance?

AJ: We had three meetings with the workers and
they have many reservations about many articles
of the IRO, especially the one related to hiring
and firing power.

PE: Do you see any improvement in the condition of the minorities?

AJ: I do not think it has changed.

irin.org

PAKISTAN: Interview with leading activist on Human Rights Day

©  IRIN

Former chairman of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, Afrasiab Khattak

PESHAWAR, 10 Dec 2003 (IRIN) - Human rights in
Pakistan has not fared well since General Pervez
Musharraf seized control of the government in a
bloodless coup on 12 October 1999. There has been
little improvement in the plight of the country's
impoverished population of 140 million. Civil
society remains weak and opposition to military
rule is quickly stifled.
As the world celebrates Human Rights Day on
Wednesday, IRIN interviewed Afrasiab Khattak, one
of the country's most outspoken activists in his
office in Perhawar, provincial capital of North
West Frontier province (NWFP). The articulate
former chairman of the Human Rights Commission of
Pakistan (HRCP), and now senior leader of the
opposition Awari National Party (ANP), painted a
bleak picture of rights in Musharraf's Pakistan.
QUESTION: It's been four years since General
Pervez Musharraf seized power. What impact has
that had on the state of human rights in Pakistan
today?
ANSWER: Like military governments in the past,
rule by the army in Pakistan has delayed the
country from its constitutional path. We are
heading in a direction that is creating more and
more distortions and deformations in our civilian
institutions, particularly those that defend
human rights. Judicially it [Pakistan] is very
weak and has a very low prestige, not only in the
eyes of lawyers and the legal community, but also
in the eyes of the general public. In the same
manner, the military generals have violated great
aspects of the constitution and have used their
political power. This so-called civilian
government does not have power to rule the
country. The real power still lies with the
generals.
Violence against women has risen. There have been
more cases of violence against women during this
year than in the past years. Poverty has
increased and the brunt of this development has
been taken by the weaker sectors of society. That
is women, children and disadvantaged people. We
have more children on the streets. Begging is on
the rise, and the government has in many cases,
not only tortured people in custody, police
atrocities have increased. A new police law has
left them [the police] unaccountable before
anyone. This so-called new police system has
brought a sort of change for the worse. And there
are no enquires into the cases of those officials
who violate human rights. They are not
accountable.
Q: If you were asked to summarise the state of
human rights in Pakistan in one word, what would
you say?
A: It [Pakistan] is a country without a
constitution and a country without human rights.
Q: Recently there were hundreds of Afghans who
were arrested and deported on the charges of
being terrorists. How do you view this event?
A: Our police everywhere mistreat Afghan
refugees, but the Islamabad [Pakistani capital]
police are notorious for such behavior. Afghan
refugees are never provided with due process of
law. They are denied these rights, not produced
before any court and they are deported by force.
But as I said, the complaints against the
Islamabad police are very strong. After the
tripartite agreement about Afghan refugees
between the governments of Afghanistan, Pakistan
and UNHCR [the Office for the United Nations High
Commission for Refugees], there is no
justification for arresting Afghans under this
Foreigners Act that requires foreign aliens to
have proper documents or be subject to arrest.
Although recognised as refugees as a group, they
are being harassed for not carrying proper
documents, which are not provided to them.
Q: What about the issue of torture? There have
been reports that political opponents, critical
journalists and former government officials are
on the receiving end of this. Is this issue on
the rise?
A: Yes. We have seven cases of parliamentarians
from the Punjab belonging to the Nawaz Sharif's
Muslim League being tortured, a member of
parliament from Faisalabad was tortured and
beaten, journalists were also tortured. But this
government is more sophisticated in using these
methods. They gradually create an atmosphere of
fear, which in turn forces some people
[journalists] to self-censorship. A method of
terror that keeps political workers or activists
to keep their mouths shut. They use these tactics
in a very sophisticated way, and they also do
arrest some people to make them an example.
Currently in prison now, Javed Hashma the leader
of the main opposition alliance and a member of
parliament was arrested from the parliament
building. For several days his whereabouts were
not known by anyone, including his relatives and
he was kept incommunicado before being produced
before a court.
Q: According to a Human Rights Watch (HRW), over
the past four years there has been a rise in
activity by extremists groups and an increase in
sectarian killings in Pakistan. Why is that?
A: The government of Pakistan has got a very
strange policy. On the one hand it cooperates
with the United States in arresting some elements
of Al Qaeda - particularly belonging to Arab
countries - who are spotted by the American
government or the government of Pakistan. But
they have not muttered the political will to take
on these Pakistani militant organisations, when
these organizations have been banned twice, but
these bans are very hollow. Senior officers
arrest some people who are not really involved in
the business of terror. They are intact. Not a
single person has been demobilised, disarmed or
sent for rehabilitation. I don't think the
government is serious about dealing with the
extremist Islamic militancy. That's why these
people are still around. And they do indulge in
violence and sectarian violence in particular.
Q: How would your describe the status of women in
your country under Musharraf? Has there been any
improvement?
A: The only thing that has improved has been the
representation of women in the electoral bodies
at local, district, provincial and central
levels. That is a good change because we have
been demanding an increase in representation and
now they have a particular percentage in election
parties.
Apart from that, however, there has been no
effort at creating conditions, enabling women to
play their role effectively in the social,
political and economic life of the country. [And]
as a result in the rise of women's rights, there
is a new cultural climate being created which
aims at creating conditions that really aim at
segregation on a gender basis. The religious
right is single mindedly pursuing the objective
of segregating women from men.
Examples of this can been seen by attacks on
separate education systems, exclusively female
sports, the pictures of women are not being
allowed on posters and billboards in the
country's North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
Not only is this being done by the government,
but also by vigilante action there - tearing
apart billboards where they see a photo of women.
Even during the festival of Eid [a celebration
marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan],
cards carrying a photo of women were declared
obscene and banned in the NWFP. Women's rights
have of course been affected by these
developments.
Q: In the past, you have been highly critical of
the government's road map to democracy and return
to civilian rule. Where are we on this road? Has
there been any significant change over the past
year?
A: It is very interesting that General Musharraf
used to claim that he was against a "sham"
democracy, and that he would restore "real"
democracy to Pakistan. We have seen his real
democracy, where he has declared dozens of
amendments over and above the parliament. And he
insists on being the president, along with being
the chief of army staff, and the judges are not
allowed to take fresh oaths, which they must
according to the mandatory provisions of the
constitution. The army has declared it has
restored the constitution from 23 March of this
year. But the judges have not taken an oath,
which is a mandatory thing.
You can see such violations of the constitution
and the undemocratic practices undertaken by this
government. The parliament is not discussing
government policy. The parliament is formulating
neither foreign nor internal policy. Resource
allocation is still decided by the generals. They
call the shots in determining allocation and
priorities. It is the worst example of a "sham"
democracy - even by Pakistani standards.
Q: Since 11 September, Pakistan has been viewed
as a staunch ally of Washington in its so-called
war on terror. How has this affected human rights
in the country?
A: As I said, the government of Pakistan has
collaborated with the government of the United
States in arresting some Al-Qaeda fugitives. In
most cases, the due process of law has not been
observed. People have been extradited without the
observation of legal procedures. And the
government has also strengthened internal laws -
making them more draconian - particularly when it
comes to terrorist activities. The laws are
further strengthened in the sense that the basic
principle of jurist prudence, in which a man is
considered innocent until proven guilty, has been
totally rejected. The new law here says that it
is for the accused person to prove himself
innocent.
The policies adapted by the government have led
to violations [of rights], but it is not only
that. By joining the coalition against terror,
the Pakistani generals have received support from
western countries - particularly the United
States. This had led to a promotion of the
generals' rule. The rule by the generals is a
problem. It is not a solution. Unfortunately, the
western countries have not taken notice of this
fact - that we are reaping today what was sowed
by Zia-ul-Haq, the military despot - and our
coming generations will be reaping what is sowed
today.
Q: Although an activist, you have now joined mainstream politics. Why is that?
A: I joined a political party because I feel that
political parties are very important for a strong
civil society. In Pakistan, unfortunately, during
the past 15 or 20 years, political parties were
undermined, particularly by the military. Of
course, political parties have had their own
weaknesses also. The mainstream political parties
that could be a challenge to the military, were
sidelined, discriminated against and demolished
by the army. I feel that if we don't have strong
secular democratic and liberal political
parties, we can't have democracy; we can't have a strong civil society.
Although I remain affiliated with the HRCP, there
are other capable people who can run it now. Some
of us should be in secular and liberal political
parties to strengthen them, in order to
strengthen democracy in the country.

DAWN

FAISALABAD: Vigilante groups set to stop new year festivities
By Our Staff Correspondent

FAISALABAD, Dec 27: A special force armed with
batons and clubs has been constituted by local
religious parties for forcibly preventing musical
programmes and cultural shows on New Year's Eve.
Mutahida Majlis-i-Amal district president Sardar
Zafar Husain, former MPA Malik Muhammad Din, Dr
Javed Akhtar, Maulana Yousaf Anwar, Syed Yawar
Hussain Shamsi and Abdul Islam announced in a
statement here on Saturday that a danda force
comprising young religious workers had been
constituted to sabotage New Year's Eve
programmes. The religious parties would not allow
anti-Islamic forces to convert the country into a
secular state, they added.
The Shabab-i-Milli Pakistan has also announced
that it would sabotage stage shows and musical
programmes on New Year's Eve. It also claims to
have constituted groups of boys for patrolling
the city.
[...].