SACW | 4 Dec. 2003 [ Nehru /Taslima Nasrin book ban / Riyad Wadia / Paul Brass]

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Thu Dec 4 01:51:04 CST 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE   |  4 December,  2003

From the South Asia Citizens Web:  www.sacw.net

[This issue of the Wire is dedicated to the
memory of Riyad Vinci Wadia, who died on the 30th
of November 2003; Riyad was one of India's
pioneering film makers who made the film 'BomGay'
and 'Fearless: The Hunterwali Story'.  He had
been one of the early supporters and well wishers
of the work by SACW. ]

_______

[1] Nehru and Modern India:
- Legacy of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru (Ram Puniyani)
- Nehru: The Invention of India by Shashi Tharoor
- The Man Who Made India by Aravind Adiga
- A Discovery of Nehru (Sagarika Ghose)
[2] India = Cow + Kamasutra	 (Satya Sagar)
[3] India: Marxists As Fideists [on W. Bengal
government ban on Taslima Nasrin's book
](I.K.Shukla)
[4] India: Response to Ashutosh Varshney (Paul R. Brass)
[5] India: Adi Anadi: The Excavation of Feminine
Memory, Jagori's calendar for the year 2004
[6] Sambandh - 2003 Inter Collegiate Competitions
On Indo -Pak Relations (Hyderbad India)
[7] Remembering Riyad Vinci Wadia

--------------

[1]

(From Milligazette -1 to 15 Dec. 2003)

Rose in the Bouquet

Legacy of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru

Ram Puniyani

The fourteenth November from last few years has become
a low profile, practically ignored event in the life
of the Nation. Decades ago this was an occasion to pay
tribute to the values and visions of builder of Modern
India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. Most of his basic
polices, in all the arenas of society have practically
been reversed and a word by mouth campaign is going on
against him. Of all the people in the Hate List of the
current ideologues of the politics of communalism and
blind subservience to American Imperialism, he
undeniably is in the topmost slot, gradually being
forced out from the concepts of policy making and
public memory.

His critics are on both the sides of divide, right and
left. A section of progressives and human right
activists blame him for the ills dodging the country
because of his educational policies and the pattern of
industrialization. The Hindu Right wing on the other,
accuses him of bringing in the alien western values
like secularism in this land! While it is nobody's
case that what he did stands above criticism and
opposition, it is surely to be granted that he did
take the country in proper direction, the direction of
industrialization, educational spread and non
alignment. Surely within these paradigms some of his
policies do require a criticism from the angel of the
adivasi and dalit sections of society. If one is to
overall see the context in which he inherited a
society ridden with feudal system and values, a state
just emerging from colonial grip, he was nothing short
a visionary of high order who executed the polices
which in due course put the country on the path of
progress and peace. This contrast becomes very clear
when one compares our country with the countries which
became independent around that time, especially in the
subcontinent, barring of course the case of China,
where things may be better or worse one does not know
for sure, as it being a totalitarian state what is
projected is again controlled by the state.

Why is Nehru the object of ridicule by the currently
dominant ideology and politics. It was Nehru who
regarded the education and industrialization as the
base of the policy and progress. Apart from the
recommendation of the Bombay plan by the emerging
industrialists of the time who requested for state
intervention to provide the base for their own growth,
Nehru could see the dire need of centralized planning
in most colonial countries whose resources were sucked
out by the colonial powers. Knowing well that heavy
investments are out of question by the private capital
at that time he did come up with the concept of public
sectors and centralized planning. Whatever be the
evaluation of these sectors now, the speed with, which
they are being dumped in to the laps of private
capital on the grounds that they are inefficient, does
not give a fair picture of their role in country's
progress. It is these sectors which provided the
needed structure of the modern state. It is these
policies, which especially brought to the fore the
weaker sections of society, dalits and women included,
in to the social sphere. Interestingly he regarded
educational institutions and industries as temples of
modern India. This stands in stark contrast to the
politics of currently dominant ideology for which
temples are the industries for electoral battles.

In the times when the our PM and the foreign ministers
feel honored that Mr. George Bush gave them a out of
the turn audience, it is difficult to visualize the
times when Nehru could withstand the pressure of
imperialist powers by leading the non aligned
movement, by negotiating the space between two
superpowers for the growth and development of the
country. But that very concept is close to being
buried when the batch of honor of our Government
leaders is, how much they can bow and bend in front of
the might of Uncle Sam. It is another matter that
Uncle Sam, when the crunch comes, prefers to use the
old reliable client state of Pakistan for its
refueling base rather than the new base being offered
by our worthies in the BJP led NDA.

The major reason for which he is denigrated by the
Hindu right is his uncompromising stance on the issue
of secularism. Time and again he realized that he is
leading a secular state, but the society is riddled
with communal mind set. The propaganda of Muslim
League on one hand and of Hindu Mahasabha and RSS on
the other had sown the seeds of communal thinking in
large sections of society. Partition riots and Gandhi
murder came as the result of this venom spread by
communal organizations. His opposition to the
President Rajendra Prasads’ taking part in Somnath
temple inauguration, his regarding the religious
matters as the private matters of individual was quiet
in tune with what father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi
thought, despite the present projections that they had
differences on these issues. For him democracy was not
possible without secularism. And secularism meant
multiple things, keeping state away from the
influence of clerics, separation of education from
religion and giving equal opportunities to all
irrespective of their religion erc.

For him communalism was not a
superficial ideology but a reaction of the feudal
thinking and mindset, which has no place in a modern
democratic state. While he did recognize the
possibilities of communalism in any religion he also
emphasized the it is only majority communalism which
paves the way for fascism.

As a firm believer of rationalism, he did feel that
the communalism will get wiped away with the growth of
industries and education. This thinking, which he
shared with the progressive elements of society had a
deeper flaw. Can an ideology which has its own
autonomous existence, in addition to its rooting in
the social interests of certain classes,
get wiped out on its own? In hindsight one can see
that it was a serious flaw not only of Nehru but most
of the progressives of that time, unfortunately some
of them believe so even today. And so the extra
emphasis needed to weed out this poisonous seed were
not undertaken to the extent at which they were
needed. He did go on to form National Integration
Council in the wake of the first post independence
riots of Jabalpur in 1963. But symbolically this
council has been frozen since the current BJP led NDA
is ruling the country.

One recalls that he did insist upon the UP govt. to
remove the Ram Lalla idols kept surreptitiously by
some Hindutva elements in 1949. But the rot was deeper
in the society and the authorities that be did not
heed to his request. And as they say the rest is
History, whose ill effects are being felt by the
nation today as well. In a way Pandit Nehru and Dr.
Ambedkar were ideal foil to each other. It was on
Pandit Nehru's request that Dr. Ambedkar went on to
draft Hindu Code bill with the aim of giving justice
to the Hindu women. The idea was to begin with the largest community,
which can then be projected as the role model. It was the intense
opposition to this code bill which put spokes in the wheel of social
reforms and later on Shah Bano case took the question
of gender justice on the communal terrain.

Decades after the death of the builder of modern
India, the situation is dismal. All that he stood for
in the social and political sphere is being reversed
at a rapid pace. While he opposed the state
dignitaries visiting holy places in official capacity,
now that has become order of the day. While he was
proudly upholding the case of secularism, now the
concept is under severe abuse and the term pseudo
secular is the most hurting political abuse. While he
was for anti-Imperialist policies today the Nation is
vying for a place in the shadows of US imperialism.
While he wanted social reforms and gender justice
those issues have been communalized to the core. While
he was for the vision of a society where all can live
with dignity and honor, the minorities are feeling
intimidated and the poor are getting poorer and
marginalized. While he stood for rationalism, the
country is honoring karmakands and astrology by
introducing these in university education. While one
should not spare Nehru's mistakes and weaknesses,
there is need to bring back democracy and secularism
and their accompanying paraphernalia as the core
values of our society. Is anybody listening?

o o o

See Also:

Nehru: The Invention of India,
by Shashi Tharoor
www.shashitharoor.com/books/nehru

The Man Who Made India
by Aravind Adiga
www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501031208-552153,00.html

A Discovery of Nehru
Modern India first came to life in his mind, says Sagarika Ghose
www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=35189

ZNet
December 02, 2003

India = Cow + Kamasutra
by Satya Sagar

India= Cow + Kamasutra. That in general is the
equation that defines this vast, ancient and
populous South Asian country even today for many
people in the West.

I can hear the howls of protest coming in. Sure,
there are a few ex-hippies who would throw some
pot into the picture and some serious scholars
who have in depth knowledge of the place but on
an average, the image of India in most Western
societies is one still steeped in the Oriental
stereotype.

And how could it be otherwise, given the balance
of power between India and the West over the past
few centuries, heavily skewed in favor of the
latter.  Frankly, I don't get upset when I
confront Western stereotypes since the evils of
four centuries of colonialism cannot be undone in
a mere fifty years.

But I had reason to be disappointed recently,
when on a trip to Latin America, I found the
average citizen there imbued with the same level
of ignorance of my part of the globe. What! An
Orientalist fellow-slave?

I mean, I expected people from within the
developing world, faced with broadly similar
problems and all at the bottom of the global
pecking order to take a little more interest and
learn about each other.  After all, if we suffer
together we must also share together, whatever
little we possess.

Noble sentiment, blah, blah, blah-but listen to
what I got at every street corner of this pretty
little South American town I was in: "Porque de
la India no come baccho ? Why don't they eat cows
in India? And is it true many Indians are
well-versed with the details of the Kamasutra ?"

  Man, if there is any example of how screwed up
the so-called global information superhighway is
in our world it has to be this complete lack of
communication between Asia and Latin America.

Asked in Spanish and answered in English the
answers would typically run into a few hours of
conversation.  My responses to the Cow question:

A) Many Indians are so poor that they don't even
get to eat grass, leave alone a full cow.
B) It is only a small minority of upper caste
Hindus in India who don't eat cows for
religious/cultural reasons and it is their right
not to do so.  However, these fellows also
control the levers of power and want their
personal beliefs imposed on the rest of the
country, so they have skewed policies against all
others getting access to any decent quality beef.
C) The rest of India, made up of variety of
castes, communities and religious groups would
happily eat the cow provided it was available,
cooked properly with the right spices and not
imported from Britain (many Indians are poor, but
they are not stupid).

And about the Kamasutra:

Even if most Indians read this ancient manual of
sex everyday- what on Earth would they do with
all that extra information?   The sexual mores
and practices (or their absence) of most Indians
(and South Asians in general) have been shaped
historically by three of the most patriarchal and
sexually super-conservative groups known to
humankind- the pretentiously ascetic Bramhins,
the elitist Mughals and the tight-assed Victorian
British.  And that cultural combination, let me
tell you, is enough to instantly evaporate any
idea of love on contact with your consciousness!

--- and so on. But at some stage I tired of
sticking to facts and tried to duck the dreaded
'Cow and Kamasutra' questions. One facile answer
I came up with was         'Indian cows run so
fast that it is very difficult to catch them'.
And to one Argentinian friend who insisted on
bringing up the subject of the cow I said ' in
India cows live under water and are difficult to
fish'.

And she nearly believed me, for I soon discovered
(to my utter horror) that many on this continent
had such an exotic notion of India/Asia that they
were willing to believe any tale I conjured up.
Even 'Indian cows live under water' kind of stuff!

To be fair to my Latin American friends- the cow
in particular does continue to occupy a prominent
place in modern Indian life. The Indian National
Congress, which misruled India for over four
decades after independence from British misrule
for example cunningly used the cow as its
election symbol.  Members of India's
much-oppressed 'lower' caste dalits routinely get
lynched by upper-caste mobs on mere suspicion of
having killed a cow for its skin or meat. And in
recent years the Hindu fundamentalists have made
banning cow slaughter a hot election campaign
theme.  In other words even the dead cow, is
still a live issue in India.

But all that is beside the point. Obviously both
the cow and the Kamasutra are objects of
curiosity in Latin America because there is
little else they get to know about a nation where
one sixth of the planet's population lives. The
lack of information and knowledge is mutual
though, with most Indians/Asians clueless about
Latin American history, culture and society
beyond the stereotype 'football', 'carnival' and
'tequila'.

So what really prevents an average Latin American
or an Asian from picking up a book or watching a
documentary and learning about each other's
continents? Why are they not speaking to each
other more frequently, visiting each other's
villages and towns? Why are such large parts of
humanity still so starkly ignorant of each
other's existence in this age of constantly
instant information?

At first glance the information gap can be easily
put down as due to linguistic barriers.  Latin
America speaks Spanish, Portuguese, Quechua etc.,
and Asia speaks English, Hindi, Chinese, Thai,
Malay and so on.

Distance is also another obvious barrier because
Asia and Latin America are virtually on opposite
sides of the globe. Traveling from Thailand to
Ecuador for example takes a whopping 38 hours,
including 25 hours of flying time.

Airline routes however give us a clue as to some
of the real reasons for the lack of communication
between the two continents. If one looks at the
map of the world according to Star Alliance for
example, the globe is essentially a network of
airline pathways held together by just a few
hubs- London, Paris, Tokyo, Los Angeles.

To get to Latin America from most parts of Asia
one has to fly through one of these former or new
centres of corporate globalisation, many of which
were also the capitals of the old colonial world.
The airline routes of our times are mostly a
mirror image of the old naval routes of colonial
pillage and plunder.

Information too, unfortunately, has a bad habit
of flowing exclusively from one part of the Third
World to the other along these very same,
well-worn routes.  So it is in our world today
that for Asian citizens there is absolutely no
way of getting to know Latin America (and vice
versa) except through established, guided paths
that provide the translations and interpretation
of each others societies, politics and culture.
In other words if my Latin American friends ask
typically Orientalist questions such as the ones
about the 'cow and the Kamasutra' that is because
they really have no other choice- all their
information comes through typically Orientalist
sources.

And it is not just Asia and Latin America that
are completely disconnected. This is even more so
the case with Africa which remains the Dark
Continent to many of us simply because all light
emerging from it is mutated or muted by the
colonial routers its passes through.

Come to think of it, forget continents as far
apart as Asia, Africa and Latin America, the lack
of information and understanding of each other
among Asian countries themselves is appalling.
Most educated Indians know more about what Prince
Charles is having for dinner than basic facts
about entire thriving societies just a few hours
flight from their borders.

One uncle of mine back in India, an engineer by
profession, once asked me to tell him what was
the difference between Bangkok and Thailand- I
kid you not! His counterparts in Thailand, in
turn, know only two things about India- that the
Buddha was born there 2500 years ago and that a
nuclear bomb was tested in 1998. The myriad
centuries in between the Buddha and the Bomb are
a gaping hole in their consciousness, which in
the meanwhile is filled with intimate knowledge
of Cherie Blair's Nth baby and the Terminator's
sex life. (No, I am not insinuating anything here)

The deeper reasons for this lack of communication
between the developing countries are essentially
linked to the way European colonialism operated
historically. The colonialists  carved out the
globe into tightly controlled fiefdoms in a
manner that precluded all possibilities of the
subject people interacting freely among
themselves.

For the colonial powers keeping their subject
populations ignorant of each other was a way of
preventing the emergence of a united opposition
to their rule across societies, cultures and
continents. Not just that. The subject people
were repeatedly pitted against each other, an
essential modus operandi of colonialism.

So the British colonialists, for example, used
Indian troops against the Arabs, Indian traders
to sell opium to China, Indian administrators to
rule Burma and even today use Gurkhas from Nepal
(on discriminatory pay scales) against anybody
they want. (The information gap I talk about is
so great that unfortunately I can't give you
similar examples of how the French and the Dutch
were using their subjects against each other---
but I am sure they did the same!!)

All this, though unpardonable, is still
understandable within the context of what
colonialism was all about. Of course, they did
what they had to keep themselves in power, right?
But why should this state of affairs be allowed
to persist in our world at the beginning of the
twenty first century and that too in the middle
of something that has been dubbed the Age of
Information?

(It is true that the world's only superpower is
trying to drag all of us, kicking and screaming,
back to colonial times via it's War on Terror.
But hey, that geezer who took the turkey to his
troops in Baghdad a week ago does not realize
that the goose of old style colonialism was
cooked long ago! It is highly unlikely that bird
will fly ever again!)

Why should there be greater flow of information
between Latin America and Asia? There are a
zillion reasons why increased information flows
are good in themselves but here are the ones that
interest me the most: a) Latin America offers
some of the most frightening lessons in what
colonialism can do to an entire continent b) It
also offers some of the most inspiring examples
of what resistance is possible to such oppression
and c) The possibility of forces across
continents joining hands to resist their common
global oppressors remains the most exciting idea
of our times.

(On a more personal note I see the past 500 years
of white, European settler domination of Latin
America as the basis for understanding the
3000-year history of the Indian subcontinent.
Essentially the caste system of India is the end
product of a similar process, over a longer
period of time, of
invading/migrant/settler/fairer-skinned
populations from outside taking over the
land/resources of indigenous people and imposing
their own culture on the entire nation)

And why should Asia and Africa communicate more
with each other? Because a) Africa is the mother
of all civilization and if you don't know what
your mom was all about you should jump into the
most shark-infested portions of the Indian ocean,
pronto! b) The rape of Africa over the centuries
by the so-called 'civilized' world is a shame on
all of humanity, including those who collaborated
or watched it happen without doing anything and
c) It is a shameful history that Asia can both
learn from and do something to redress by joining
hands with African citizens fighting to restore
their continent's lost peace, prosperity and
dignity.

Simply put, since exploitation today is global,
the pathways to resistance too have to be global.
And since the sources of our troubles are also
common- namely colonialism/capitalism- what
better way forward than to unite the oppressed of
the world across cultures and continents in our
common struggle.

A word of caution is due here. It has never been
easy to unite the oppressed. As the history of
slavery and colonialism, across the globe and
over the centuries reveals, oppression by itself
can bring revolts galore but no real revolutions.
There are many reasons for this:

a) Not all are oppressed to the same degree and
so the levels of motivation to change the world
order are naturally different.
b) Some sections of the oppressed genuinely
believe that they can actually claw or crawl
their way into the ranks of the oppressors and
therefore have no qualms about doing so on the
backs of their fellow-slaves.
c) There is no effective mechanism or conscious
attempt to forge a unity of the oppressed on a
global scale.
d) The oppressed need a clear vision of a better
world that is morally, politically, economically
and ecologically superior to the one that allows
slavery/colonialism/exploitation of any kind.

While we sort all that out, what I suggest needs
to be done urgently is the closing of the
information gap between social and resistance
movements of Asia, Africa and the Americas (the 3
A's). This will be a small but very necessary
step forward towards forging the long-term unity
of the underprivileged of our world.

Que crees, hermano ? Kya khayaal hei, bhaijaan ?

Satya Sivaraman is a journalist based in
Thailand. He can be reached at sagarnama at yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 06:07:42 +0000

MARXISTS AS  FIDEISTS
I.K.Shukla

The ban by West Bengal government on Taslima
Nasrin's Dwikhandita, the third volume of her
autobiography collectively titled Amar Meye Bela
(My Girlhood), establishes the Writers’ Building
brand of Marxism squalidly into the "mainstream"
politics of diversion and decadence. It ensures
longevity for the status quo of stagnation, more
fashionably and deviously known as stability. It
also stamps CPI-M as a hardcore bourgeois
formation and advances its bid for respectable
kinship with other predatory parties like BJP and
Congress, etc.

This is quite a consummation after a quarter
century of holding onto power in West Bengal. The
equation that administration (state) equals
expropriation and exploitation via obfuscation
and repression thus becomes highlighted and
entrenched, of course for the benefit of the
traditional princes (politicos) and prelates
(mullahs and purohits). The political mafia in
India could not have asked for anything better.
West Bengal can thus flaunt its membership in the
all-India club of arrivistes.

When Lenin called parliament the pig sty (of
social democracy) he had perhaps not envisioned
that it would be peopled absolutely by
parliamentarians who deem only oink  oink to be
the acme of human speech and social
consciousness. The West Bengal government,
justifying the ban, has parroted the tattered and
trite slogan of the fanatics and obscurantists.
Ostensibly: preserving communal amity. How much
communal amity flooded the land after Rajiv
Gandhi's cave-in in the Shah Bano case, or
following the ban on Satanic Verses, to quote
just two cases, would be difficult to compute in
the wake of unceasing genocide against minorities
in a phased but planned series, and in the larger
atmospherics poisoned by saffron terrorism
sponsored and promoted by the state.

A putrid but pointed part of this communal
fascism is the lethal support it is assured by
the Empire. Thus cleansed, it is nothing scary,
since it is "cultural nationalism", the West
paying its dues to the museum brand of
multiculturalism by its so-called
non-interference. It leaves the West free to
wage, among its unending wars, the new one of
infinite duration, on "terrorism".

Banning a book exaggerates its importance.
Literary tastes and artistic expressions cannot
be left to the "virtue squad" of the ignorant and
the arrogant. It treats readers as either
children or morons who have to be protected from
the subversive message of the artistic product.
Whether the book/film/play/song is of highbrow or
middle- or low- is for the reader to decide. He
needs no nanny, no Taliban as guardians of
morals. Such censorship can only lead to people
being kept mired in prejudice and ignorance. Such
censorship is the ugly progeny and criminal
continuation of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
It is not only the Saffronazis who seek their
mentors and models in blood and fire of a bygone
era. The CPI-M won't lag behind.

The consequences of being soft on fundamentalists
and firebrands of communal cannibals have been
dire for the nation. Shankar Singh Vaghela had
tried it in Gujarat to match or offset Modi, the
Crime Minister. The result was disastrous for the
Congress. Not that Congress had in its long
history ever missed contributing its consistent
mite to the cleavage of communalism, pretending
all the while that it stood or secularism. Vote
bank politics makes monsters of them all. Vasant
Sathes (ex-RSS man) are not part of a reliquary.
The tradition of fostering and fanning
communalism is alive and well in the grand old
party.

Autobiography in the subcontinent has a jejune
corpus, and that by women even rarer. Biographies
in our literary culture tend mostly to be
hagiography. Autobios are expected to be the
same. For hot stuff, we look to the West in both
genres. That is why memoirs, which are akin to
these, are still few and far between in our
regional literatures. Inhibitions of state
censorship aid and abet violent vandalism of the
virtue police. And the anticipated repression
bucks the creative enterprise. This,
additionally, perpetuates artistic stasis, and
attests the stereotype of the backward and
medievally congealed non-Whites who are
demonstratively averse both to modernity and
freedoms taken for granted in the arts in the
West.

Any historical event, book included, is open to
critique. It cannot be expected uncritically to
command universal and perpetual adulation. If
Taslima has quoted chapter and verse pieces
impinging on women's dignity and injunctions on
their bondage in religious scriptures, it would
not do to cover it all up in the name of false
"amity". Religion historically has been inimical
to knowledge and ethics. She is not the original
discoverer of this fact. It has destroyed
millions, it has fostered violence and
intolerance, it has enslaved man, and divided
humanity. This history of religion cannot be
wished away. No mythopoeia can purge it of its
cruel and criminal tendencies past and present.

Two points before I conclude. 1. Her excitement
and effusive craving for India as limned on pp
123,124, and 127 in Utal Hawa, the second volume
of her autobiography, is breathtaking. One bears
quoting: "The other side of the mountain is
Bharat. Clouds from Bangladesh are floating
towards Bharat. Birds from that side are flying
to this. I asked my elder brother, if I cross the
mountain and go to that side. He said, no, you
cannot. That is another country. Across the
mountain sleeps another country, Bharat. I feel I
hear the heartbeats of Bharat, hear the breathing
of Bharat. Bharat so close, I feel like saying to
it something in its ears. Why did you divide?
Are you "Other" for us? (p.123). Her love for
Kolkata comes up brimming (pp 93-99,
Dwikhandita). She rightly feels let down by her
favorite city. Pertinently in this context,
Bangladesh's slide into an Islamic republic,
anguishes her no end (p.84, Dwikhandita).

And, she is unhappy to see yesteryear's traitors,
the Razakars, now stalking the land as ministers
in independent Bangladesh.  Does she know that
their kin, the saffron Razakars, India's cowards
and avowed traitors and collaborators, are
lording it over in India?

The ban by Kolkata is sad and shocking beyond
words. Not only she but millions are aghast at
the Marxists of W.Bengal government having joined
the gang of Razakars of green and saffron
varieties in demonizing her.
2Dec.03

Response to Ashutosh Varshney

By Paul R. Brass

Ashutosh Varshney has written a hostile and
unprofessional review of my new book on The
Production of Hindu-Muslim Violence in
Contemporary India, originally published by
University of Washington Press in February 2003
and issued by Oxford University Press-India in
September-October of this year.  The review,
published in the10 November issue of India Today,
is so inaccurate and dishonest that it is
difficult for me to know where to begin to rebut
it. Varshney does not even take the trouble to
summarize the book, but merely picks out and
misrepresents at random aspects of my arguments.

Varshney begins by insinuating that I have spent
40 years of my life studying one city, Aligarh,
and suggests that I have produced nothing of
value from my labors.  While it would be unseemly
of me to write about my own professional
accomplishments in my work on India, I believe it
is well enough known among scholars, journalists,
and politically knowledgeable people in India
that I have written widely on many aspects of the
politics of India over these years, and some may
know that I have published some 14 books on those
subjects as well as rather numerous articles.  My
works have ranged from detailed studies at the
local level to works that cover politics in all
India, including my text on The Politics of India
Since Independence, the second edition of which
is still available.  I have personally carried
out field work, during approximately 25 visits to
India, in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar,
Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Assam. I have
also interviewed many politicians from all other
parts of India during my visits to Delhi.

It is true, however, that I have labored hard and
long, including for a good part of the six years
between 1997 and 2003 in Seattle, poring over my
interviews, documents, and other data collected
over four decades in Aligarh, to ensure that I
minimize the possibility of mistake on so serious
a matter as Hindu-Muslim violence.  Nor, indeed,
despite Varshney's sneering remarks, has he been
able to point to a single error.

Having found no inaccuracies, Varshney seeks to
undermine my arguments  in a personally insulting
way.  He claims that I have simply "recycled" my
"old arguments" from two books of mine that are
well-known in India and elsewhere, Theft of an
Idol and Riots and Pogroms.  Varshney himself
wrote an extremely laudatory review of the latter
book (for the Journal of Asian Studies, published
in February, 1999), in which he expressed his
"admiration for the superb contribution by Brass"
and praised "the great merit and compelling
brilliance of his reasoning" (p. 133). In the
same review, he made laudatory comments on Theft
of an Idol.  Evidently, something has changed in
Varshney's attitudes, on which I will comment
below, but it has nothing to do with the quality
of my work or its arguments. It cannot be so
since Varshney has also made considerable
(mis)use in his own writings of my central
argument that the best explanation for the
persistence of riots in sites where they appear
to be endemic-such as Aligarh, many other cities
and towns in India, and many other places around
the world at different times, including the
twentieth century U.S. and nineteenth century
Russia-is the existence of what I have labelled
Institutionalized Riot Systems.  Varshney has
completely misread my description of such systems
in his own work, as well as in the India Today
review, imagining that all that is meant by the
concept is that politicians and criminals
protected by them, "especially the Hindu
nationalists," are involved in riots and "keep
the communal pot boiling."  He again strikes a
derisory note by calling his misunderstanding  of
my construct "a boiling-pot theory."  This is
quite a travesty of my conception, which is that
Institutionalized Riot Systems are composed of
networks of specialists who play varied and
multifarious roles in the instigation and
perpetuation of communal animosities, in the
enactment of riots, and in the interpretation of
riots after they occur.

The metaphor I have used is, as far as I know,
quite different from anything anyone else has
used in the study of collective violence, namely,
the conceptualization of riot production as
comparable to that of a grisly theatrical drama,
in which there are three phases:
preparation/rehearsal, performance/enactment, and
interpretation/explanation.  This is not a
trivial one-off comment on riots, a "boiling-pot
theory," but an elaborate analogy of a type that
should be familiar to anthropologists and others
who know the work of the great anthropologist,
Victor Turner, particularly his Dramas, Fields,
and Metaphors.

In his own work on peaceful cities and towns in
India, Varshney  copies my argument by inversion
as it were, claiming that they have
"institutionalized peace systems." However,  his
use of both terms, mine and his inversion of it,
lacks logic, precision, and a basis in worthwhile
empirical data.  But, not content to invert my
argument, he has been reported in the India
International Center Diary (Janauary-February
1999) to have presented, at a talk at the Centre,
my original argument (incorrectly as usual) as if
it were his own invention.  Perhaps the Centre
journal has misunderstood him, but no
contradiction of his use of my concept as his own
has yet appeared.

At one point in the review, he makes a tortuous
move from his misreading of my argument to a
statement that it is "historically inaccurate"
because "Hindu nationalists were not prominent in
Aligarh before 1967."  Here he is trying to
insinuate that I am misleadingly emphasizing the
important role played by what he calls "Hindu
nationalists" in producing riots in Aligarh.  He
then cites various electoral statistics to say
that this cannot be accurate because "the Hindu
nationalists were not prominent in Aligarh before
1967."  These electoral statistics are quite
beside the point here.  The plain facts are that,
though many communal riots in Aligarh and
elsewhere in India have involved persons and
parties not part of the Sangh parivar, militant
Hindus have played a central role in every single
large-scale riot in Aligarh at least since 1961,
however electorally strong or weak they were, and
my book demonstrates it very clearly.

Varshney here is acting out his own role in the
communal discourse in India, namely, that of the
BJP/RSS apologist who, though he is not himself a
member of the Sangh parivar, chooses to ignore
their undeniably central role in rehearsing,
enacting, and interpreting communal riots after
the fact.  His statement that he agrees with
me-in his words not mine-"that Hindu nationalism
is a dangerous project and if it succeeds it will
destroy India" is nothing but a pious, throw-away
line for a person whose work virtually frees the
BJP and the RSS from responsibility for the
production of riots.  For example, in his own
book, Ethnic Conflict and Civic Life, the index
contains only three references to the RSS and the
VHP, of which only one includes a very brief
description of these organizations, from which
one learns that their "activities Š include
running ideological camps for the youth, schools
and dispensaries for the tribals and scheduled
castes, and organizations for women."  We learn
that their activists also do "relief work"at
times of heavy floods. The Bajrang Dal, the
principal organization for violence in the Sangh
parivar,  receives no mention at all.

Varshney's review also mixes together
incomprehensibly some questions and answers that
are unrelated to each other, as if they
undermined my arguments when they have nothing to
do with them.  He asks, "Why was the Congress
government, in its days of nearly uncontested
hegemony, unable to prevent riots?"  He then
answers sarcastically: "Presumably, the DMs and
the SPs who, according to Brass, had been
instrumental in Aligarh's intermittent stretches
of peace, were not so compromised at that time."
This is all totally misleading.  Most governments
in India, including those of the Congress and the
BJP, for that matter, have been able to prevent,
contain, and control riots when they chose to do
so.  Nor have I said that Aligarh has had
"intermittent stretches of peace."  Rather, there
have been intermittent periods when large-scale
riots did not occur, during which the riot
network was only partially inactivated, but kept
in readiness.

But then, somehow, Varshney has a different
answer to his questions, totally irrelevant to
them, but important to understanding the
malicious character of his review.  He says:
"Commenting on the Aligarh of the 1950s, Nehru
was forced to call attention to the rebirth of
Muslim communalism at the AMU.  ŠBrass neglects
the role of Muslim communalism in the city." This
is dishonest, mendacious, and motivated.  In
fact, I have not neglected the role of Muslim
communalism in the city.  I have also drawn
attention to the contribution of elements in the
Muslim community, including politicians,
University personnel, and AMU students in
maintaining communal attitudes and in
participation in riots as well. However, there is
simply no doubt in my mind, amply demonstrated in
my work, that the BJP/RSS has been far more
deeply implicated-perhaps because it is far
better organized than the Muslim network-most
especially during the decade of the 1980s up to,
and including especially, the great Aligarh riots
of 1990-91.  Varshney is here simply avoiding my
main conceptual arguments concerning the process
of riot production, throwing up a false statement
against me and pitting me against Nehru himself
in the process.  Moreover, Varshney is here doing
what the BJP/RSS people do: blaming the AMU,
which has rarely been at the physical center of
Hindu-Muslim violence, though it has often been
targeted by militant Hindus and has been
generally used as a justification for violence
against Muslims.

Varshney is here also showing his ignorance of
the political geography of Aligarh, though he has
a chapter on Aligarh in his own book. I have
emphasized, in my book, the very sharp separation
between Muslims and Muslim politics at the AMU
and Muslims and Muslim politics in the old city.
There have been some forms of border-crossing, as
it were, but, historically, riots have been
produced in the old city where there is a
juxtaposition of Hindu and Muslim mohallas, not
at the AMU.  In contrast, in 1990-91, the
militant Hindu riot system extended its range
dramatically across the boundary of the Grand
Trunk road and the railway line and all around
the outskirts of the city in a pattern that has
been revealed by me and others elsewhere, in
Kanpur (by me), in Bombay by many other scholars,
in Gujarat by most commentators, and so forth.

The second argument Varshey criticizes, headlined
in the India Today review as "Aligarh is not
India," concerns the generalizability of my
arguments.  He quotes me correctly as follows:
"The findings herein can be generalized to other
parts of India and other times and places in the
world."  (This quotation comes from the Preface,
however, not from the heart of the book where the
arguments are presented in full.)  He then
asserts falsely that I have ignored places in
India where riots have not occurred.  My book
indeed centers on Aligarh, though my work on
riots has extended throughout north India and the
Punjab in interviews, and throughout the rest of
the country in my reading of both primary and
secondary sources.  My argument here is not that
Aligarh stands for or represents all of India,
which is nonsense, but that the pattern that I
have described for Aligarh applies to other
cities and towns in India that I know well from
my own personal research.  Moreover, I have
presented my argument as a social science
hypothesis for other scholars to test in other
places in other parts of the world.  Far from
being an old argument recycled, my argument needs
testing elsewhere.  Such testing would not prove
or disprove what I have described and discovered
in Aligarh.  But, insofar as its generalizability
is concerned, this is an important question that
begs for further research.  For, if I am right,
then most research on, and explanations for,
riots, pogroms, massacres, and some genocides as
well, have been not only wrong, not only false,
but misleading and contributory to the
perpetuation of systems of violence.

  Now, let me answer specificallyVarshney's
question.  Anyone, however, who cares to read my
book can find the argument laid out carefully
there in 476 pages. "Given Š variations [from
place to place in India in riot incidence], how
can Aligarh's experience be generalised to Uttar
Pradesh, let alone the rest of India?"  The
answer is simple: By testing my hypotheses.
First, by the method of
confirmation/disconfirmation, that is, by
examining sites of endemic rioting to see if
institutionalized riot systems can or cannot be
discovered.  Second, by examining the
relationship between party/electoral competition
and the incidence of riots in those sites.
Third, by examining the consequences of different
state policies toward communal riots, my argument
being that where the policy of a state government
is decisively opposed to communal riots and makes
its opposition clear, and where interparty and/or
intraparty divisions do not compromise its
clarity, riots will be either prevented or
contained rapidly.  The recent work of my young
colleague, Steven Wilkinson, confirms several of
my arguments.  Wilkinson has also previously
questioned parts of my argument, but in an
honest, forthright manner, concentrating on the
issues at stake. Our discussions have, I think,
influenced each other's work.   Moreover, in
discussions with him, I believe our mutual work
is coming close to a coherent explanation of riot
production, though we may still disagree on some
aspects of the process.  Such, however, is not
the case with Varshney's work on civic
engagement, which is a derivative argument from
the American social science literature that has
very little to do with India.  It is a false and
artificial transplant, which I have criticized in
my book and need not repeat here.

As for the alleged contradictions in my criticism
of newspaper reporting on riots in India while
also making use of such reports, his
disparagement is also totally misleading.  My
accounts of riots are based heavily upon my own
interviews and other primary sources.  Where that
has been lacking or inadequate, I have used
newspaper reports in a careful and critical
manner, pointing out  where they appear reliable,
where not, where biased.  I have also criticized
sharply Varshney's uncritical use of newspaper
accounts of the precipitants and alleged causes
of riots.  Moreover, I have noted that his highly
touted dataset, based solely on Times of India
reporting, is inherently flawed.  Furthermore,
errors were introduced in coding this flawed
data.  An huge error was introduced, for example,
into the Aligarh data, to which I alerted him
through Wilkinson, which Varshney then corrected
in his World Politics article with no
acknowledgment to me.  In short, his own data on
Aligarh, on which he claims to have done
research, was false.

Then there is the charge concerning my so-called
"intellectual schizophrenia."  I suffer from no
such ailment.  I laid bare my own reasoning
concerning riot production in India in this book
and in my other recent works on India, and
expressed my profound doubts about the enterprise
of causal reasoning and analysis as it is
conducted in contemporary social science.  In his
comments on my previous book, Theft of an Idol,
Varshney wrote as follows: "Whether or not one
can agree with Brass about causality, the great
merit and compelling brilliance of his reasoning
lies in showing so effectively why the battle
over meanings matters, why such battles are as
much about knowledge as about power and
resources.  In doing so, Brass, in this essay [in
Riots and Pogroms] as well as in his recent book
Theft of an Idol, forces us to re-evaluate the
easy certitudes of mainstream social science, if
not abandon social science altogether."
 Evidently, Varshney has changed his mind about
my reasoning.

As for my use of "correlation coefficients,"
which he says implicates my work in "mainstream
social science," this is hardly an advanced
social science method of causal analysis.  It is
one of the simplest numerical methods available
for establishing associations between variables,
from which causal analyses may or may not
legitimately be inferred.  I have always tended
to use such elementary statistical techniques
mainly to demonstrate such relationships and
suggest the direction of a causal chain where it
seems reasonable to say so, but I have mostly
used such techniques as supplements to my own
type of processual analysis.  I have been
described by friendlier colleagues as a "closet
positivist."  I accept such a friendly statement.
But intellectual doubts about the relative merits
and utilities of positivist/empiricist vs. other
types of social science, historical, and
anthropological research hardly constitute
"intellectual schizophrenia."

The most degrading half-sentence in Varshney's
review is his reference to my dedication of the
book to Myron Weiner, implying that my work is
not consistent with Weiner's and that the
dedication, therefore, is misplaced.  I have
noted there and elsewhere my debts to Myron, my
respect and affection for him, as well as my
divergence from his approach.  I worked with
Varshney on a festschrift for Myron, held at
Notre Dame in 1999.  It is from that failed
collaboration with Varshney that a personal
hostility has embittered and has terminated our
relationship.  I had ultimately to withdraw from
editorial collaboration with Varshney on the
publication of the conference papers because of
his ugly misuse of the occasion to aggrandize
himself, advance his own career, prevent other
worthy former students of Myron from attending or
presenting papers at the conference while
ingratiating himself with senior colleagues whom
he had previously antagonized, badgering Myron
during the last days of his life into allowing
him to invite to the conference a person whom
Myron strongly disliked, and ultimately
disregarding scholarly standards in his attempt
to publish the papers from that conference.  The
volume has not yet been produced.

November 30, 2003

Paul R. Brass
Professor Emeritus of Political Science
and South Asian Studies
University of Washington, Seattle
E-mail:   brass at u.washington.edu

ADI-ANADI
THE EXCAVATION OF FEMININE MEMORY
CALENDAR 2004

Adi Anadi: The Excavation of Feminine Memory,
Jagori's calendar for the year 2004 is an
exploration of images of female energy in Indian
iconography of the past.

We bring you a spectacular, seven-page, bilingual
(Hindi/English) wall calendar - size 14" x 19" -
in colour. It contains rare photographs and
information on female iconography from Orissa,
Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, and Gwalior by
anthropologist Giti Thadani. These pictures
unravel the existence of the centrality of female
energy in our iconography and the subsequent
erosion of independent, sexual, feminine power
over time.

The calendar is priced at $5/ only.

To order, please fill the Order form below and send it back to us!

JAGORI
C-54, Top Floor, South Extension II
New Delhi - 110049
Tel: 26257015, 26253629 Tele fax: + 91 11 625-3629
Email: distribution.jagori at spectranet.com

Website:www.jagori.org

Jagori is a documentation & resource center on women-related issues.

Invitation/For Information

SAMBANDH - 2003
INTER COLLEGIATE COMPETITIONS
ON INDO -PAK RELATIONS

Pakistan India People's Forum for Peace and
Democracy (PIPFPD) in collaboration in with COVA
is organizing Inter Collegiate Competitions for
Intermediate, Degree and Post Graduate students
on the theme of Indo - Pakistan relations on 3rd
and 4th December 2003 at Urdu Arts College,
Hyderguda, Hyderabad.

Elocution, Quiz, Poster and Slogan writing and
Skits would feature during the event.  Elocutions
and Skits are being conducted in English, Telugu
and Hindustani (Hindi and Urdu mixed) while quiz
is being conducted only in English.

Prof. Rattan Lal Hangloo,  HoD History -
University of Hyderabad will speak on
Understanding Kashmir Conflict during the
inaugural session on 3rd December 2003 at 10:00
a.m.. Dr. Radhey Shyam Shukla, Editor, Swatantra
Vartha, and Dr. Wahab Kaiser, Vice-Chancellor,
Maulana Azad National Urdu University are the
Chief Guests during the Prize Distribution
Ceremony scheduled on 4th December 2003 at 3:30
p.m. All the events including Inaugural and the
Prize Distribution Ceremony will be held at Urdu
Arts College, Hyderguda, Hyderabad.

PIPFPD requests your gracious presence.

With regards,

Mazher Hussain
Secretary
PIPFPD

2nd December 2003

ENGAGEMENT COLUMN

3rd December 2003

PIPFPD-COVA:	Intercollegiate Competitions-
Prof. Rattan Lal Hangloo, HoD History -
University of Hyderabad-will speak on
Understanding Kashmir Conflict.-10:00 a.m.-Urdu
Arts College, Hyderguda, Hyderabad.

ENGAGEMENT COLUMN

4th December 2003

PIPFPD-COVA:	Prize Distribution Ceremony- Dr. Radhey Shyam Shukla, Editor,
                                     Swatantra
Vartha, and Dr. Wahab Kaiser, Vice-Chancellor,
                                     Maulana Azad
National Urdu University are the Chief Guests. -
                             3:30 p.m.-Urdu Arts  College, Hyderguda, Hyderabad.

____

[7]  REMEMBERING  Riyad Vinci Wadia

[BOMgAY a film by Riyad Vinci Wadia page on SACW
http://sacw.insaf.net/i_aii/bomgay.html

See Also an article by Riyad:

Queer Asian Cinema: Shadows in the Shade
Journal of Homosexuality (ISSN: 0091-8369)
Volume 39, Numbers 3/4, 2000

Long Life of a Short Film
313
by Riyad Vinci Wadia
What follows is an account of my personal experiences as an independent In-
dian film director who had the fortune to make the country's first openly gay
film, the short BomGay. That said, I would like this essay to be accepted as,
rather than a critical appraisal of Indian cinema, a humbly autobiographical
account of one individual caught in the hectic
throes of political (and cinematic)
visibility.

Obituaries from Friends:
Riyad's stylish legacy
http://ww1.mid-day.com/columns/sujata_assomull/2003/december/70198.htm
Fahad Samar pays tribute to Riyad Wadia
http://web.mid-day.com/news/city/2003/december/70114.htm
Mary Evans Wadia, aka Hunterwali/fearless Nadia
http://theory.tifr.res.in/bombay/persons/me-wadia.html    ]

o o o

[Letter from the Brother of Riyad Wadia]

Dearest friends and loved ones,

My dearest brother Riyad passed away on Sunday, November 30, at
approximately 230pm Bombay time.  He had been ailing in recent weeks,
and the end was surprisingly swift, with relatively little suffering.
For that, my family and I are very grateful.  But we are in shock,
because we truly believed he was on his way to recovery, with a newfound
spirit of renewal and healing and a commitment to, as he told me a few
weeks ago, "being around for at least another 20 years."  To deny that
we are not heartbroken would be a lie.  By the same token, I truly
believe he is with us always and forever, in our hearts, minds and
souls.

Riyad lived life on his own terms, to the fullest.  He had an amazing
circle of amazing friends, literally all over the world.  Many of them
became family to him, and supported him in a variety of ways... whether
in Bombay or New York or wherever he found himself through his myriad
travels around the globe.  For those of you who never met him, and heard
me try to describe his outsize personality, well -- he was indeed one of
a kind!

I will end now, because I want this to go out to as many people as I can
think of.  I, however, do not have the names and e-mail addresses of so
many of Riyad's friends whom I haven't met.  So if you can pass this
e-mail along to whoever you think needs to know about my little brother,
please do so.

For those who would like to contact my parents in Bombay, their details
are:

Nargis and Vinci Wadia
89 Worli Sea Face
Mumbai/Bombay 400 025
India

I am sure your messages and prayers would mean the world to my parents
at this time.  Thank you all for being our friends, and for keeping
Riyad in your memories.

Lots of love and God Bless,
Roy
***********************

Filmmaker Riyad Wadia, whose family have been involved in Bollywood
since the 1930s (Wadia Movietone produced some of India's first film
hits), was one of the first Indian filmmakers to deal with
homosexuality. He was comfortable with his many identities, as a gay
man, as a Parsi man, and as a groundbreaking filmmaker. His films, the
toast of many festival circuits, include "BOMgAY," a series of vignettes
exploring gay identity in contemporary India; "A Mermaid Called Aida," a
feature-length documentary on India's famous transsexual Aida Banaji;
and "Fearless: The Hunterwali Story," an award-winning documentary on
his grand aunt and Indian film stuntwoman Nadia Wadia ("Fearless
Nadia"). Wadia had also been a columnist for various newspapers, and had
organized a travelling retrospective exhibit retrospective of old film
posters and memorabilia from the Wadia film Archives.

Selected articles on Wadia:

http://www.suntimes.co.za/2002/03/10/arts/durban/aned01.asp
http://www.planetout.com/pno/popcornq/db/getfilm.html?1528
http://aolhometown.planetout.com/pno/popcornq/movienews/2000/07/07/wadia.html
http://www.expressindia.com/ie/daily/19981028/30150014.html

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web http://www.sacw.net/ .
The complete SACW archive is available at:
http://bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative, provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/